[Return]
Archived thread

File 125210455071.jpg - (114.71KB , 500x476 , Suika-Wright.jpg ) [iqdb]
93350 No. 93350
22nd day - 18:25
Yukari's Home, Mayohiga


“Nya ha ha ha!” Suika's laugh echoed down the hallway and out into the main dining area of Yukari's modest home. For the past hour she and her so-called 'mentor' had been discussing this and that in Yukari's study. Not that Reimu particularly cared since she was only here for some free food - Yukari had offered to cook for both herself and the Oni as guests. Admittedly 'Yukari cooking' actually seemed to translate into 'Yukari slacking off while Ran cooked', but Reimu wasn't going to argue semantics. Not when she could smell the delicious curry the fox youkai was cooking up across the way.

Reimu grumbled to herself as she waited, idly watching the television set in the corner of the room. At some point the kappa of youkai mountain had got it into their head to begin their own television channel and film their own shows for it. Ever since the number one, and indeed only, television station in Gensokyo had been KappaTV... which was rather convenient given the kappa also made and sold the televisions on which KappaTV could be seen. Reimu privately wished she had thought of it herself, it seemed like a pretty effective money making scam. The miko winced at what appeared to be some kind of news report, or maybe a comedy? She really didn't quite get this whole television thing...

The sound of a door slamming perked her up and she twisted in her seat to see Suika striding down the hallway from Yukari's study.

“Yo!” Suika called out, looking quite irritated at first, but the look was soon gone. “Issa food almost ready?”

Reimu looked over to Ran, who merely sighed and nodded.

“Th' boss lady wants to eat in her room, yeah?” Suika added, frowning to herself, dumping herself down into the seat next to Reimu. “Wants to get some paperwork done and stuff.” Ran nodded again, it wasn't unusual that Yukari would eat alone, not with her work as a youkai defence lawyer and her irregular sleeping patterns.

Within short order a plate full of curry was placed on the low table in front of both Reimu and Suika. Two more plates were placed on the opposite side of the table though after Ran spent a while calling for Chen without success one of them was quickly removed.

“Probably out playing with her friends,” Murmured the motherly shikigami. “She's been hanging around with some of the younger youkai - that ice fairy and her friends too.”

“It's tough being a mother, huh?” Reimu murmured, causing Ran to blush and wave her hands in denial.

“Oh! No, no no! It's perfectly fine!” The woman smiled, “Even though she's not really mine, Chen is a wonderful child to bring up.” She frowned slightly, “Though I worry that she may be falling behind in becoming a true shikigami...”

“Eh! She's just a kid!” Suika boasted, “She'll grow out of it, y'know? When she gets older 'n more responsible 'n all that!”

“I suppose so.” agreed the elder seeming woman.

Reimu shrugged, turning her concentration back to her food, Suika doing likewise. Supper passed in relative silence after that, broken only occasionally by Suika laughing at something that occurred on the television. In short order the meal was over and the two guests were saying their goodbyes.

“So,” Reimu asked as the two of them drifted away from Mayohiga, “What was it Yukari wanted anyway?”

“Mn...” Suika frowned. “Nothing really.” She replied, “Nothing important anyway. Just some stuff she wanted to tell me 'bout the next case.”

“Oh.” Was the miko's only reply.

- - - - -

23rd day - 08:00
Hakurei Shrine


The knocking on the door was loud and insistent. Mostly loud. Suika didn't really want to get up to answer it, but Reimu had kept kicking her in the side until she had gotten up.

“Mornin'” The oni slurred, pulling the door open to reveal a red-head in a green outfit.

“Ibuki Suika?” The woman queried.

“Uh... Yeah?” Suika blinked, then squinted at the visitor. “Why'd you need to ask, eh China? You know who I am well enough, right?”

“Meiling.” Grumbled the woman, “My name is Meiling.”

Suika merely waved one hand dismissively. “Whatever, you know who I am either way. So why ask?”

“Protocol.” Meiling drew herself up, “Ibuki Suika? You're under arrest for the murder of Yakumo Yukari.”

There was silence as Suika merely stared at Meiling in horror.

- - - - -

24th day - 11:00
Yamaxanadu Courtroom


“All rise for the boss la- Ow!” Komachi, court bailiff, staggered forwards clutching at the back of her head.

“Do it properly.” came an imperious voice from behind the judge's podium.

“But boss!” The woman whined, turning to face the podium, “That's workplace violence, and you always say violence is bad and st-OW!” This time she clutched at the front of her head, where a wooden gavel had impacted on her forehead. “Fine!” Turning away again, Komachi took a breath and held back her tears of pain. “All rise for presiding judge, Shikieiki Yamaxanadu!” Glancing behind her in case any more head injuries were imminent and seeing none, she took another breath and turned back to the courtroom. “In the case of the murder of Yakumo Yukari! For the prosecution, the perfumed peril, the lawyer of the valley, Medicine!”

A young woman stepped up to the prosecutors bench, her dark red suit clashing violently with her blond hair. Her face was expressionless as that of a doll - mostly because it was that of a doll. Medicine Melancholy, the living doll.

Komachi bounced a few times as she waited for Medicine to complete her dramatic entrance. As an experienced bailiff she knew how much those prosecutors loved their drama. Still, one couldn't let them go on for too long or they'd get more arrogant and puffed up than usual. “For the defense!” She intoned, “The evil, evil murder herself! Suika Wright!”

“Hey!” Suika yelled from her bench, “I didn't do anything!”

“Then you will not have any trouble defending yourself.” Whispered the prosecutor, “Or at least you would not have, had I not been your opponent. You will not be going free.” The doll looked up at the short judge, who was barely visible over the top of her podium. “If I may, I will now read the prosecution's opening statement.”

Shikieiki nodded. “You may.”

“It is the aim of this prosecution,” began Medicine, “to prove beyond doubt that the death of Yakumo Yukari was caused specifically by the Oni standing in defence, the so called 'Suika Wright', more commonly known as Ibuki Suika. To do this we have called upon three witnesses. The detective China, Yakumo Ran, Yakumo Chen - and we shall also be directing lines of questioning to the accused themselves.”

“Hong Meiling!” Came a wail from just out of sight. “It's Hong Meiling! Detective Hong Meiling! Not China!”

“We will begin by calling our first witness.” Medicine paused and looked over to the witness entrance. Suika swore she could have seen the dolls eye's narrow ever so slightly. “Detective China.”

“It's Hong Meiling...” Moaned the detective, the same one who had arrested Suika the day before, as she took the witnesses stand. Once there she straightened up and saluted to the court in general. “Detective, third class, Hong Meiling! Reporting to give testimony!”

There was silence, then the not-so-subtle sound of wood meeting bone as Shikieiki leaned over her podium to smack the chinese girl with her gavel. “Don't introduce yourself until asked!” She stated as the red-head clutched at her skull, only the bailiff Komachi giving her any sense of sympathy.

“With the witness having already stated her name and profession,” Medicine intoned, “We shall continue directly to this - Detective China, inform us of the circumstances of this crime.”

>> No. 93353
File 125210525748.jpg - (20.72KB , 450x400 , Case-1-2-murder.jpg ) [iqdb]
93353
* * * * * * *
TESTIMONY: 'The Yakumo Murder'
* * * * * * *

“The scene of the crime was found, initially, by Ms. Yakumo Ran, who at the time was delivering a meal to lady Yukari. This meal was being delivered at around seven o'clock, just after their two guests - the accused and Hakurei Reimu - had left the building.”

“The victim was found in the center of the room, pinned to a chair by her own parasol - driven in through her chest from the front. We have pictures of this crime scene, but developing them will still take some time. For now we have a diagram of the scene from above.”

*EVIDENCE: Crime Scene Diagram*

“The parasol itself has been tested, but only Yukari's own prints were found on it along with a number of smudge marks indicating the possible use of gloves.”

*EVIDENCE: Yukari's Parasol*

“There seems to have been no evidence of a struggle, indicating that the victim knew and was friendly with her attacker. We're not aware of anything being missing from the room, but inventory is still ongoing just in case.”

“Finally we have the autopsy report, stating that the victim had been dead two hours and that the cause of death was definitely by impalement through the chest. It's pretty obvious that only someone of real power could have done such an act, as it needed to have been done quickly before Yukari realized the danger.”

*EVIDENCE: Autopsy Report*


* * * * * * *
TESTIMONY END
* * * * * * *


“There you have it.” Stated the prosecutor. “Things seem clear cut. Though we are sure of her guilt, it is nonetheless polite to give our opposition a chance to defend herself - even if it will merely result in her digging her own grave deeper into the ground.”
>> No. 93354
No voting per se here. Ask questions of the witness, point out contradictions when you can. Discuss what you think is going on.

Story will continue based on this.
>> No. 93355
Aleluiah
>> No. 93356
"A parasol was the murder weapon? That seems kind of strange. It's not really sharp or anything... was it really the murder weapon? -ow- I need a drink..."
>> No. 93357
"I'm being assumed guilty without a motive? And what motive would I have to do it? I don't have a mean bone in my body- hic"

And it's true Suika doesn't seem one to hold grudges.
>> No. 93366
>> LOOK at Crime Scene Diagram
- "Is this supposed to be a chair under the V? And the rectangular side is the back of it right?"
>> PRESS present Crime Scene Diagram
>> “There seems to have been no evidence of a struggle, indicating that the victim knew and was friendly with her attacker. We're not aware of anything being missing from the room, but inventory is still ongoing just in case.”
- "According to this, the file cabinet is opened. Nothing is missing from it? Also, the chair, is there any damage done to it?"
>>PRESS on Autopsy Report
- "Is there anything else, besides the victim's cause of death being impaling through the chest? The time of death is also at two hours, so 17:00?"

---

Need more info! I'm bad at Suika accent, so probably just my writes for an idea of what to say, or something.
>> No. 93375
PRESS for information on the parasol.
- What is it made out of?
- Are there any distinguishing characteristics or special traits it has?
- Were there any signs of damage to it?

As mentioned, it would require a great deal of power to drive something like that through a body at all, let alone enough to pin the victim to the chair. However, the problem isn't just a matter of how strong the killer must be to have done the act, but how strong the murder weapon must have been to not break under that much force.

Generally speaking, most umbrellas/parasols aren't meant for more than protecting against the sun or rain, and many can barely withstand the force of a strong wind without being damaged. Unless the victim's parasol was designed to be able to withstand even a hurricane, it seems hard to believe it could hold up under the stress of being driven completely through a body.

If by some chance the victim's parasol is special, and is indeed strong enough to withstand the forces necessary to be driven through a body without breaking, there is still a question as to why the killer chose that as their weapon. If it's unusual for parasols to be that strong, it doesn't make sense to try to kill someone by running them through with one.

I suppose a big question is, just how certain is it that the parasol is the murder weapon?
>> No. 93378
>I suppose a big question is, just how certain is it that the parasol is the murder weapon?

And even if it is, let's first abolish any notion that it was a premeditated murder.

Specifically, the parasol is owned by Yukari.

You do not plan a murder without bringing a murder weapon.

Regardless of no prints other than Yukari's plus gloved ones, that just means the person who pierced the parasol through her happened to have gloves on.

Plus... isn't Yukari commonly seen with gloves on as well?

"Did that cabinet just to happen to be filled with case files...?"

Yukari wanted to talk to us about a case. Feels like 1-2 of Phoenix Wright, right about now.
>> No. 93380
>>And even if it is, let's first abolish any notion that it was a premeditated murder.
>>Specifically, the parasol is owned by Yukari.
>>You do not plan a murder without bringing a murder weapon.

But what if the murderer did bring a weapon, used that to run poor Yukarin through, and then jammed the parasol into the wound to make it appear as if that was the murder weapon, taking the real weapon with them when they escaped?

Of course, if we're going by "Phoenix Wright Law Logic" here, the matter of whether or not the killing was premeditated may or may not be irrelevant.

>>Regardless of no prints other than Yukari's plus gloved ones, that just means the person who pierced the parasol through her happened to have gloves on.
>>Plus... isn't Yukari commonly seen with gloves on as well?

To which one might respond by asking if you're seriously suggesting the victim impaled herself with her own parasol. I think we'd need a lot more to go on to make an argument for this being a suicide rather than a murder than just "the victim was known to wear gloves, too."

If someone other than Yukari drove the parasol through her chest, and there were no actual fingerprints on it besides Yukari's, then the killer wearing gloves is pretty much the only logical explanation. And, if the killer was wearing gloves to avoid leaving fingerprints, and brought those gloves with them for that very purpose, that could be considered a sign that the murder was premeditated.


Now that I think about it, there is one very important thing missing from the description of the crime scene that sticks out to me. Namely, blood. Or rather, the lack of it.
I would think jamming something through someone's chest like that would make a bit of a mess...
>> No. 93392
>>I would think jamming something through someone's chest like that would make a bit of a mess...

Curses, why hadn't I caught that sooner? I was literally re-reading this thing for a few hours and that completely slipped my mind.

That is indeed, a rather large problem with the evidence. If the parasol is the murder weapon, it should be rather heavily coated with blood.
>> No. 93404
“Mmmm.... I don't like this.” Suika grumbled, her arms folded over her chest. “Throwing me up here, not even giving me any time to prepare.”

“You had all of the previous day.” stated the judge, “You have no place to be complaining.”

“They took away my booze!” yelled the oni, “You took away my booze! How am I supposed to prepare without my drink, huh!?” Grumbling to herself the young lawyer looked over at the doll opposite her. “Do you even have a motive? Huh? I'm pretty sure you have to show a motive before you can blame me for this.”

“You wished to take over Yukari's business. As her apprentice you would have been entitled to sole control of her legal firm and the assets it contained - assets you would no doubt pawn to fund your chronic drinking habit.” Medicine leaned ever so slightly over her desk, “This is your motive.”

“Uh...” That was a pretty good motive actually, or so Suika thought. She really hadn't considered the fact that with Yukari dead she was now the owner of Yukari's firm - or would be once she proved her own innocence at least. “Oh.” the little oni frowned, then sighed. “I guess that works... I still didn't do it though.”

Medicine merely stared at her. “Then prove it.”

Meiling, still on the stand, glanced at both the prosecutor and the defence. “Can I go now?” She asked, before shrinking back as both of them glared at her.

“Noooooo.” Suika drawled, “I have questions. Like this diagram, is this thing under the victim supposed to be her desk chair?” Meiling nodded. “And this bit here, this rectangle, that's the back of the chair?”

“That's right,” the detective murmured, “She was found leaning back in it and facing the far wall. We practically had to climb over her to get her out since we couldn't turn it around without smacking her head or legs against anything.” She paused, “We took pictures and stuff first though. We're not stupid us detectives!”

“Well then, uh, what about the filing cabinet?” the oni pressed, “I know Yukari keeps all her case files in there, and I don't see why it would be open unless someone took something out of it.”

“No idea!” Chirped the chinese woman, “It's not like we have any idea what was in there beforehand, so how should we know if anything is missing? We've got some people reading over the files and comparing them to her track record... but she might have other stuff from cases she hasn't officially started yet in there too.”

Suika grumbled under her breath. She knew she wasn't the killer, obviously, but at the moment she couldn't see any way to prove it... Heck, she could barely see a way to derail the current testimony. If only she had something to drink, something to kick her mind back into full gear.

“How about the murder weapon?” She suggested, “Can a parasol really do that to someone? They're pretty flimsy things aren't they?”

“It's Yukari's parasol.” Meiling responded, staring at Suika as if this explained everything.”You know? Yukari's parasol? The one she used to fight Yuuka once? If there was anything that can go through a youkai like that, it would be her parasol.”

“It would be pretty messy though,” Suika stated, a dawning light shining forth in her thoughts, “Putting a parasol through someone I mean.”

“Um. I guess so?” came the detectives reply. “It does say she died of blood loss and shock from the impalement.”

“So it would be really messy then?” Suika pushed, before grinning, “Funny that nothing seems to mention the crime scene being covered in blood then, isn't it?”

“Uhm, er,” Meiling flailed a bit, “I guess it was kind of clean...”

“Objection!” Medicine piped up, cutting Meiling off. “It is clear to the prosecution that the scene is only clean because someone, the killer, cleaned it up. I hear that the accused was 'talking' with the victim for quite some time. More than enough time to clear away the evidence.”

“Clean it with what?” Suika responded, “It's not like I, or anyone else, could have just wandered out to the kitchen covered in blood to fetch some cleaning stuff.”

“You have the power of gathering.” The opposing lawyer seemed to smirk ever so slightly, “With that you are perhaps the only person in Gensokyo who could clean up a scene so well without need for cleaning supplies.” She leaned forwards, her lifeless gaze drilling into Suika. “Is that all you have? Are you going to prolong things any more? Or shall we continue with the story of your guilt?”
>> No. 93405
Ask more, posit more, if there's nothing really put forward it'll move on tomorrow.
>> No. 93429
"Well, um, if I could clean up the scene so well... I could have gotten rid of the most important thing there, right? But I didn't... so that makes me innocent! Gimme back my gourd now!"

"... and you know, why is she facing the back of the wall like that? Hey, didn't you say you had to climb over her body because she couldn't turn around? That means... she turned to face the wall before she was killed?"
>> No. 93430
"I'm not that desperate to kill a friend over money, since I can always fall back on my gourd of unlimited Sake. And I have no history of even assault or mugging for money!"

usually most people that kill for money usually start out muggers.
>> No. 93432
And where would I have put the blood? In my Gord? If it's in my gord, then dumping it out could easily prove that I didn't hide the blood in there.
>> No. 93458
>>“I guess that works... I still didn't do it though.”
>>Medicine merely stared at her. “Then prove it.”
That's easy! Suika is an Oni. Oni do not lie. Therefore, if Suika says she did not do something, she did not do it.
Of course, it probably won't be that easy, but it would be interesting to see how it would play out regardless.


>>“You wished to take over Yukari's business. As her apprentice you would have been entitled to sole control of her legal firm and the assets it contained - assets you would no doubt pawn to fund your chronic drinking habit.” Medicine leaned ever so slightly over her desk, “This is your motive.”

But Suika has an unlimited amount of alcohol in her gourd, rendering the need to pawn anything unnecessary, so yeah!

>>“She was found leaning back in it and facing the far wall. We practically had to climb over her to get her out since we couldn't turn it around without smacking her head or legs against anything."

Now this, we need to press for more information on. So the victim's chair couldn't be turned without the victim bumping into something. Considering these clearly cramped quarters, how exactly do they think the crime played out? Where was the killer in relation to the victim? Was the victim sitting or standing when she was attacked? Considering the length of the murder weapon, just how much room would the killer have needed to be able to use the parasol in the way that they did? Superhuman strength or no, there's no way anyone could put a thing like that through anyone's chest if they didn't even have enough room to wield it without banging into everything, which would be especially counter-productive if the crime depended entirely upon the element of surprise.

>>“It is clear to the prosecution that the scene is only clean because someone, the killer, cleaned it up. I hear that the accused was 'talking' with the victim for quite some time. More than enough time to clear away the evidence.”

Other than the dead body pinned to a chair by a parasol impaled through the chest, that is. That's kind of a biggie in terms of "evidence" right there.
That makes absolutely no sense. Why would anyone go to the trouble of cleaning up blood from a murder scene, yet make no attempt to either conceal or dispose of the biggest piece of evidence that a murder was even committed? Especially if, as the prosecution claims, there was more than enough time to clean up the scene?

>>“You have the power of gathering.” The opposing lawyer seemed to smirk ever so slightly, “With that you are perhaps the only person in Gensokyo who could clean up a scene so well without need for cleaning supplies.”

But can she prove that's why the crime scene was so clean? On top of that, if we assume that WAS how the blood was cleaned away, and the process did not take very long, that makes the apparent lack of any attempt to dispose of the corpse and weapon make even less sense.

Suika is a drunk, not a moron. If she were the killer, there is no way she would go to the trouble of cleaning up the crime scene and yet somehow forget to do something about the dead body in the middle of the room. Especially if her motive in the killing was to take over the company. It kind of defeats the purpose of killing someone to take over their company if you do it in such a way that you're the most obvious suspect in their death.I

And, since the prosecution has presented some baseless theories of their own, it seems only right to present some of our own.

First of all, there's a question of whether or not this is even a murder at all. How do we know Yukari wasn't just playing around by putting gaps in the floor and ceiling, dropping her parasol into one, and watching as it accelerates while falling endlessly, and by some freak accident wound up getting it launched right at her?

Secondly is a question regarding the lack of blood at the crime scene. What if the reason there was so little mess at the scene of the crime isn't because the blood was cleaned away (while the dead body was completely ignored for some bizarre reason), but because the "scene of the crime" ISN'T the scene of the crime? Yukari can pretty much go anywhere she wants anytime she wants, so how certain can we be that in the time between Suika's departure and Ran finding the body, that Yukari didn't go somewhere, get attacked, and then wound up back in her office after already losing a lot of blood?
>> No. 93461
Actually, one more thing is bothering me.
Even with the element of surprise, even with superhuman strength, even with an umbrella that's stronger than black diamond, and even with however much blood must have been lost due to said umbrella being forcibly thrust through Yukari's chest...how the hell is she DEAD?

Physical damage is more or less irrelevant to even your average youkai, and so the notion that one of the oldest and most powerful of them could be killed by something as simple as getting impaled by a parasol through the chest seems a bit...odd.
>> No. 93506
I wonder why the person who found the body isn't a suspect.
>> No. 93507
>>Secondly is a question regarding the lack of blood at the crime scene. What if the reason there was so little mess at the scene of the crime isn't because the blood was cleaned away (while the dead body was completely ignored for some bizarre reason), but because the "scene of the crime" ISN'T the scene of the crime? Yukari can pretty much go anywhere she wants anytime she wants, so how certain can we be that in the time between Suika's departure and Ran finding the body, that Yukari didn't go somewhere, get attacked, and then wound up back in her office after already losing a lot of blood?

Good point. If the chair, say, had a big hole in it where the umbrella was then... but if there isn't, then this makes sense.
>> No. 93511
>>93507
Well, it could also be that the parasol didn't come into play until she was back in the office.
Say she went somewhere, was attacked, and at some point her assailant got a hold of her parasol. What if Yukari escaped through a gap back to her office, and her attacker threw the parasol at her through the gap like a spear?

>>I wonder why the person who found the body isn't a suspect.

I'm curious about that, too, but more curious about why Chen is a witness, despite her apparently being out and playing with her friends while Suika and Reimu were visting.

But then, we'll find out about that soon enough, won't we?
>> No. 93552
well, if we put a gap into play, almost ANYONE could be a suspect. This might get tricky. And I do wonder about why it's Chen who found the body, too. Need to press for info on this matter.
>> No. 93553
>>93552
Well, that's kind of the point, isn't it?
Right now the prosecution's stance is that Suika is the killer. Before we can figure out who IS the killer, we need to establish at least a shadow of a doubt regarding Suika as the culprit, or at least the only possible culprit.

Unless the "An Oni Cannot Lie" defense actually could work, the only way Suika could prove she WASN'T the murderer is to show she had a solid alibi, and thus could not possibly have done it. As that's clearly not possible, we must make do with showing that it was at least possible for someone else to have been the killer.
>> No. 93557
Maybe Yukari sin't really dead, and is just playing a tasteless prank on Suika?
>> No. 93571
>>93552
Ran found the body not Chen. Not sure how Chen is a witness, since Ran said she was out playing.
>> No. 93639
“Mmmmm.... No.” Suika smirked slightly, “I think I have a good question...”

Holding up the crime scene diagram the oni tapped one finger against the big 'V' in the center. “This is the victim, and the victim is sitting in a chair facing the wall.” She glanced around for a moment before continuing. “She was stabbed from the front... which means her killer was standing here, in front of the filing cabinet, right?”

Meiling nodded, “Well, yeah. You can't stab someone in the front from behind after all!” she laughed.

“So... how did the killer get out, huh?” Suika grinned, “They can't just walk through the bookshelves, and if they went over the desk then you'd have noticed. Hey, it's not even as if you can fly in there either 'cuz of the roof. Maybe if you were real good at flyin' you could squeeze out... but you'd still knock all tha' paper in the room all over doing it.”

“Unless, of course, the killer was you.” Medicine interrupted, drawing up one arm and leveling her finger at Suika. “Your ability to disperse into dust is well known. It would be a simple task for you to murder Yukari, disperse yourself, and re-integrate next to the door. This fact, combined with your ability to clean the scene of blood without cleaning agents, is sure proof of your guilt.”

“Yeah, about that.” The tiny oni picked at her ear as she spoke. Partially because it itched but mostly because she could see that it was annoying the automaton across the room. “I clean up all the blood - then leave behind the murder weapon? Isn't that pretty, y'know, stupid of me?”

“Haha, that was pretty stupid huh? I mean, without oni strength how else could someone put that through her like tha-urk!” Meiling reeled in pain as Shikieiki's gavel near knocked her clear out of the witness stand.

“Enough out of you.” The judge intoned, before turning to pin Suika with a glare. “I fail to see how any of this proves your innocence. In fact, from what I have observed, all you have done so far is work towards proving your own guilt. As it stands I have more than enough to state a verdict.” Suika's eye's widened in horror as the judge raised her gavel, prepared to hand out her sentence.

“Objection.” The gavel paused, mid-swing, as the melancholy doll spoke.

“On what grounds?” Shikieiki asked, glaring at the doll without much effect.

“This court procedure is not complete. I wish to see my opponent buried under the weight of her guilt, crushed by this prosecution and strangled in her own web of deceit. Thus I shall call my next witness, and my next, so that we may fully pull this murderer's vile existence into the light for all to gaze upon.” Medicine's spiel was delivered without pause and entirely without tone. Shikieiki merely shrugged her shoulders and laid her gavel back down on her pulpit.

“As unsure as I am about the... threat... contained within your objection, I will concede that this is a court and must therefore follow full court procedure. I shall then hold my verdict until after all testimony, from each witness, is heard and cross-examined in full” The Yama sighed, “And I was so hoping to catch the next episode of 'Wackey Miko Reimu' today... Very well, if the prosecution is done with this idiot then you may call the next witness to the stand.”

“Then if the idiot China will vacate the stand,” the prosecutor asked, staring blankly at detective Meiling.

“I... I'm not an idiot!” she wailed, “And my name is Meiling! Chinese Detective Hong Meili-” the red-heads voice cut out as her face seemed to gain a dreamy look. Then she slowly toppled to one side and onto the floor, where Komachi quickly scuttled forwards to drag her away. Moments later a miniature figure of Medicine herself floated up from the stand and drifted lazily over to her bigger twin. It spun in the air to face Suika, then waved cheerfully. The defense lawyer almost waved back - but resisted the urge when the tiny doll then made a cutting motion across it's neck. Instead she just shuddered.

“The prosecution wishes to call our second witness, Yakumo Ran, to the stand.”

There was a quiet rustle as the blond fox-tailed woman made her way up to the witness box. She spared but one hate filled glare at Suika, then did her best to ignore her as much as she could. Frankly it hurt that she did that but Suika wasn't going to say anything - all she could do was wait and prove her innocence.

“State your name and profession, Ms. Yakumo.” whispered Medicine.

“Ran.” Came the reply, “I'm... no longer Ms. Yakumo. Just Ran. I am, was, shikigami to Yakumo Yukari.”

“Would this be a permanent change?” the judge asked from her podium, “We would need to update court records if it is.”

“Yes. With Yukari.... with her dead... my contract as a shikigami is over.” Ran's hands curled into fists as she seemed to start doubling over with grief. “I always knew it would end eventually but... but not like this!”

“Please. In order to bring justice for your master, tell us all that happened that evening.”
>> No. 93640
* * * * * * *
TESTIMONY: 'After Dinner'
* * * * * * *

“Suika and Reimu had just left and I was taking Yukari her own meal. She never had any real sense of time, so it didn't particularly matter that she was served half an hour after everyone else.”

“I don't know what they had been discussing but Suika and Yukari had been talking about if for hours, they didn't even stop when we got home - just headed straight into Yukari's office and kept talking.”

“When I took her the meal I knocked on the door, when I didn't get any reply I tried entering anyway - in case Yukari had just fallen asleep. Th... that's when I saw her. Impaled... she... she looked so... so... lifeless...”

“I... I dropped the plate right here, in front of the door. I... I still haven't cleaned up that mess...”

* * * * * * *
TESTIMONY END
* * * * * * *

“I see.” Medicine nodded once. “As you can no doubt see your honor, there is nothing there which so much as casts doubt on the accused's involvement.”

“That may be so,” replied the yama, “but if we are to follow full court procedure she must still be given the chance to defend herself, no matter how impossible that may be.” The green haired girl looked over to the defense bench. “Well? You may question the witness.”
>> No. 93645
>>PRESS
“When I took her the meal I knocked on the door, when I didn't get any reply I tried entering anyway - in case Yukari had just fallen asleep. Th... that's when I saw her. Impaled... she... she looked so... so... lifeless...”

- Looked lifeless? Did you actually check for a pulse or anything?

>>OBJECTION!
“Suika and Reimu had just left and I was taking Yukari her own meal. She never had any real sense of time, so it didn't particularly matter that she was served half an hour after everyone else.”

- In Detective China's testimony, she stated you found the victim at seven o' clock. However, if you delivered the meal thirty minutes after I left, that would make it seven THIRTY.

>>OBJECTION!
“When I took her the meal I knocked on the door, when I didn't get any reply I tried entering anyway - in case Yukari had just fallen asleep. Th... that's when I saw her. Impaled... she... she looked so... so... lifeless...”

-The victim was seated in her chair, facing AWAY from the door. You would've had to walk around, you couldn't have just seen it walking in!

>>OBJECTION!
“I... I dropped the plate right here, in front of the door. I... I still haven't cleaned up that mess...”

- Didn't Detective China say the room was clean when they got there? They didn't mention that food had been spilled on the floor. The defense couldn't have cleaned it up, since they were no longer at the house!
>> No. 93646
>“Th' boss lady wants to eat in her room, yeah?” Suika added, frowning to herself, dumping herself down into the seat next to Reimu. “Wants to get some paperwork done and stuff.” Ran nodded again, it wasn't unusual that Yukari would eat alone, not with her work as a youkai defence lawyer and her irregular sleeping patterns.


Now this. It's Suika herself that called Ran to the study room. Isn't that strange for a killer to go around asking people to go witness their crime, along with the body, without flawless alibi? That's not quite... intelligent. We also need to ask Ran to confirm this statement for us too, because she's also there.

>“I... I dropped the plate right here, in front of the door. I... I still haven't cleaned up that mess...”
throw a big "OBJECTION!" into Medicine's face!
>> No. 93665
>>“I don't know what they had been discussing but Suika and Yukari had been talking about if for hours, they didn't even stop when we got home - just headed straight into Yukari's office and kept talking.”

We should establish approximately what time it was when Suika and Yukari first entered the office, and at about what time Suika came out to have dinner with Reimu and Ran.


I'd be curious to know more about Ran's connection to the victim as her shikigami. What it entails, what comes with such status, and particularly if there is any sort of connection between master and shikigami. An ability to sense when they're in danger, for example?

After all, according to the detective's testimony, Yukari had been dead for approximately two hours when her body was found. Regardless of who is right about the exact time the body was found (and hopefully that will be resolved, as thirty minutes is KIND of a big gap) that's still a period of two hours that Ran's master was dead. As she just said her status as a shikigami ended with the death of her master, that means when she had found Yukari's body, she had not been a shikigami for two hours.

Seems kind of a long time to not notice anything amiss, especially if you were magically connected to someone who was killed in such a sudden and violent way, don't you think?
>> No. 93672
Okay, having played the PW games, and gone back to review the original SW thread, I think I'm ready to start weighing in here.

First off, just to set up the whole thing:

This is the case of Yukari's murder - which, from the circumstances of the first case (the original thread) means that this is a flashback, and therefore Suika is NOT GUILTY (Captain Obvious, I know, but it needed to be said).

And while I OBJECT to Medicine being the prosecutor, remembering that this case happened before anything else means that Patchy can still be the Edgey to our Phoenix.


Second:

Okay, things went badly with Meiling. No surprise there - if we're substituting the roles from PW into Touhou, she's Detective Dan, who mainly presents the physical evidence, with occasional testimony. Now, keep in mind from the last case: certain pieces of physical evidence can be manipulated. (I won't say what from that case, because it's kind of a spoiler) So, we really shouldn't be worried about that right now.

Third: Okay, now to the stuff we wanna do.


The first thing we need to do is set up a timeline. The autopsy report states that Yukari had been dead two hours - when was this determination made? Or, in other words, at what time had she been 'two hours dead'? This is important, BECAUSE, when the determination was made affects the window that we could be a suspect - if Yukari had been dead for two hours at 9 PM, we couldn't have been the killer. If Yukari had been dead two hours at 8...then...well, we still aren't, but you know what I mean.

Now, regarding Ran's testimony...(Or perhaps, even, TestiPHONY...if Ran's lying, shouldn't the ONI LIE DETECTOR be pinging?)

First statement: Personally, I can't see anything wrong with it, yet. We left Mayohiga at 6:30 (note the timestamp on the prologue), and Ran delivered the food half an hour afterwards, 7 PM.

Second Statement: This, we need to PRESS - specifically on two things.

PRESS: Exactly what time did we arrive at Mayohiga, and what time did I join you after talking with Yukari?

The first part is simply to establish when we, the accused, were present at Mayohiga - from whatever time we arrived until 6:30 PM or so. If we killed Yukari (just a hypothesis), then it would've had to have been in that timeframe.

The second part is key, though - not in an evidentiary sense, but in putting the whole puzzle together. We know that we didn't kill Yukari, and that she was still alive when we left her in her study. Knowing what time we joined Ran and Reimu in the main room gives us a start point for Yukari's death - it could not have happened before that point.

Hopefully, between these and the autopsy determination time, we can throw shadows on our supposed guilt.

Example set-up: We were present @ Mayohiga from 5 PM to 6:30 PM. We joined Ran and Reimu @ 6 PM, and Yukari had been two hours dead @ 9 PM - therefore, she died @ 7 (or thereabouts), when we were not present. (Just an example, not necessarily how it happened)

Third Statement: Here, we need to OBJECT:

OBJECTION!: According to the diagram, Yukari was facing AWAY from the door, so how did Ran know she was dead without actually entering the study?

Final Statement: Another OBJECTION:

HOLD IT!: Didn't Detective China say that the crime scene was cleared of any blood evidence and whatnot when they arrived? Then, how is it possible for her to have 'not cleaned up'?


Okay, now for the mental notes we need to make for down the road...

1: We need to know exactly what sort of bond Ran and Yukari shared as shikigami and master? Any sort of danger sense, telepathic bond, or whatnot would've responded to Yukari's attack and death...if Ran didn't respond to such a thing, then either she's involved, she's the killer, or someone's VEEEERY SNEAKY.

2: Why the hell is CHEN on the witness list?! She didn't come back to Mayohiga until we'd left! She was off playing with friends...or WAS SHE?
>> No. 93674
>>“When I took her the meal I knocked on the door, when I didn't get any reply I tried entering anyway - in case Yukari had just fallen asleep. Th... that's when I saw her. Impaled... she... she looked so... so... lifeless...”

>>The victim was seated in her chair, facing AWAY from the door. You would've had to walk around, you couldn't have just seen it walking in!

Good point, though depending on how far the parasol had gone through, it might have been possible to see the tip of it sticking out the back of the chair.

If not, however, then it certainly would have been impossible to tell Yukari wasn't simply asleep in her chair from what you would be able to see from the doorway. Assuming the room was otherwise completely clean and had no signs of any struggle, there is no logical reason to think Yukari was dead at that time.

So then, how would Ran have known that Yukari was dead? Only two ways come to mind.

Firstly, it could be she actually went all the way into the room, went up to Yukari, and peered over/around her chair to see, but if that were the case then the bit about her dropping the plate in front of the door makes no sense at all. If she dropped it from the shock of finding Yukari dead, why would she have dropped it in front of the door, where she couldn't have known Yukari was dead? Wouldn't she have dropped it much closer to the chair and body? Unless, of course, that's not where she discovered Yukari was dead.

Which brings me to the second possibility. Namely, that Ran already knew Yukari was dead.
But what if she could see the parasol sticking through the back of the chair?
Even if she could, so what? It's already been established that there was practically no blood to be seen in the room, and no other sign of any sort of struggle or foul play. If anything, the sight of the parasol poking through the back of the chair should have been a reason to investigate further, at which point you could have figured out Yukari was dead.

Yet Ran apparently did not. From just standing in the doorway, viewing this scene with no blood, no signs of struggle, and the only thing seemingly amiss being something poking through the back of a chair, Ran somehow deduced Yukari was dead. Even if she had correctly guessed that Yukari had been impaled by her own parasol, which might be possible from where Ran was standing, the lack of blood could very well have been a sign Yukari was still alive, for all she knew.

So then, if she didn't learn Yukari was dead by actually checking the body, and knew it from just standing in the doorway, how did she know? More to the point, for how long did she know? After all, by that point Yukari had been a corpse for about two hours...
>> No. 93879
“Oh, I'll question the witness alright,” Suika stated grinning madly, “I'll question her good.” Pulling herself to her full height, the Oni glared at Medicine. “Lets start by asking the witness, how did you know Yukari was dead? According to your testimony you saw she was dead the moment you entered the room... but isn't it strange? How could you tell she was dead from that far away? How could you tell she was dead when you couldn't even see her!?” Suika roared that last part, her finger pointing directly at Ran.

Ran remained impassive at the accusation. “Simple,” She responded, “I am her shikigami. Of course I would know if she was dead or not. As soon as I saw her not responding to me I tried accessing her power, when that didn't come I knew she must have been dead.”

“A shikigami draws on their masters power.” Medicine clarified, “as long as they are acting for the benefit of the master their power can be considered the same as their masters. It is all detailed within the contract they make. With their master dead, of course, they cannot draw upon this power.”

*EVIDENCE: Shinigami Contract*

“I hate magic,” Suika grumbled to herself, “It makes it too easy to explain this kind of stuff.” she shrugged. “Fine, how about the time of the discovery? If you delivered the food half an hour after me 'n Reimu left, wouldn't that make the time seven thirty and not seven as China's testimony states?”

There was silence.

A dark feeling welled up in Suika's gut. Had she just said something stupid?

“Perhaps,” Shikieiki called out from her stand, “The defense should go over their notes once more. And this time they should do the math correctly.”

Oh. Suika winced. She had just screwed up, this wasn't good.

The judge glared down at her. “Perhaps a Penalty will encourage you to think before you speak next time.”

*PENALTY: 1 / 5*

Suika cursed to herself under her breath and rapidly started shuffling her notes about. A penalty was bad but not the end of the world... So maybe if that idea had been shot down, she still had others to try. “Uh... Uh... Ah! The witness mentioned dropping some food, can I, uh, confirm that his happened after the 'cleaning up' of the crime scene?”

“Of course.” Ran replied promptly. “It was dropped after you left.”

“And you haven't cleaned it up yourself?” The oni's eyes narrowed slightly, had Ran flinched slightly then? She wasn't sure, but it was growing more obvious that Ran wasn't telling the truth... if only she could find something, anything, with which to bust Ran's testimony apart completely... or to at least discredit the time of death somehow. “I think,” Suika murmured, “I want to hear your testimony again.”

“Fine.”

* * * * * * *
TESTIMONY: 'After Dinner: Repeat'
* * * * * * *

“Suika and Reimu had just left and I was taking Yukari her own meal. She never had any real sense of time, so it didn't particularly matter that she was served half an hour after everyone else.”

“I don't know what they had been discussing but Suika and Yukari had been talking about if for hours, they didn't even stop when we got home - just headed straight into Yukari's office and kept talking.”

“When I took her the meal I knocked on the door, when I didn't get any reply I tried entering anyway - in case Yukari had just fallen asleep. Th... that's when I saw her. She was just sitting in her chair.”

“I tried to pull on her power, to wake her up, but none came. That's how I knew she was dead. It shouldn't have happened this way! She shouldn't have been killed from behind by a traitor like you!”

“I... I dropped the plate right here, in front of the door. I... I still haven't cleaned up that mess...”

* * * * * * *
TESTIMONY END
* * * * * * *
>> No. 93880
yeah, i dropped the _ from my name. So what.
I should really look into getting some awesome courtroom arts or something to make my posts stand out a bit more.
>> No. 93882
try court-records.net
There's a lot of Phoenix Wright's game sprite. I think you can shop some touhoes in there without any difficulties.
>> No. 93883
>“I tried to pull on her power, to wake her up, but none came. That's how I knew she was dead. It shouldn't have happened this way! She shouldn't have been killed from behind by a traitor like you!”


OBJECTION!
Throw : *EVIDENCE: Crime Scene Diagram*

"Killed from behind, you say?! Take a look at this diagram!" present diagram. "It's as obvious as captain obvious himself! Detective China told us that Yukari is impaled from her FRONT!" banging fist. "Witness is lying, your honor!"
>> No. 93885
OBJECTION!” Suika's roar echoed throughout the courtroom, her hand slamming down on her desk hard enough to leave a web of cracks underneath it. “Killed from behind? That lie is more obvious than Komachi's chest! China's report clearly states she was impaled from the front! How do you explain that!?”

Ran flinched away from the Oni but quickly regained her composure. “Isn't it obvious?” She half-growled, her teeth clenched. “I saw the murder weapon sticking out from the back of the chair! I simply assumed that it had been rammed in from behind, given how little blood was on the part I could see.”
>> No. 93888
Well, I don't know much about Shikigami's contract, so I'll let other anon take care of that. Now I'll just throw out an obvious contradiction first.


>“I... I dropped the plate right here, in front of the door. I... I still haven't cleaned up that mess...”

OBJECTION!
Present : China's testimony.

"Detective China said it's clean after the police arrived. And if we're going by Medicine's flawless logic here it should be dirty. Because I was not there when Ran dropped it, thus, cannot clean it using my power! So... what can we conclude from this contradiction?" BANG FIST AGAIN. "It's either the mess Ran did miraculously disappear by itself, or, Ran is giving FALSE TESTIMONY!"
>> No. 93895
>>Ran flinched away from the Oni but quickly regained her composure. “Isn't it obvious?” She half-growled, her teeth clenched. “I saw the murder weapon sticking out from the back of the chair! I simply assumed that it had been rammed in from behind, given how little blood was on the part I could see.”

OBJECTION!
Present: *EVIDENCE: Yukari's Parasol*

While you may have been able to see some of this sticking out through the back of the chair, there's a bit of a problem with your assumption. Namely, what part of it you would have seen sticking out.

Yukari was stabbed with this thing from the front, and as the tip of it is clearly far more sharp than the much blunter end with the handle, it's only logical that the killer would have held it by the handle and stabbed the victim with the tip. Meaning, the part you would have seen sticking through the back of the chair was the tip of the parasol! Blood or no blood, there is no way anyone would see that and assume that it had been rammed in from behind!
>> No. 93988
"If you had a magical connection with Yukari thanks to the shikigami contract, then how could you not feel your master's life was in danger? How could you not feel when she died, and the contract ended!?"
>> No. 94085
“Heh,” Suika grinned nastily, “OBJECTION!” She called, giving a cocky look to the rest of the court. “The murder weapon was, what was it again? Oh, right, Yukari's own parasol!”

“This is relevant how?” asked Shikieiki, looking down in interest.

“Well,” the Oni explained, “If you were to stab someone with a parasol - or any kind of umbrella really - which end would you use to stab with?”

The judge frowned for a moment. “I suppose,” she began, “If I was going to stab something, not that I would of course as such would be an unforgivable act of sin, I would have to use the pointed end. The handle, I expect, would not go in very easily at all.”

“And that proves why Ran is lying.” Suika stated, puffing herself up, “If Yukari was stabbed from the front then the only part visible through the back would be the point of the umbrella. No way could anyone think that someone was stabbed from behind it they see the point of something sticking out the back of them.”

“How the hell was I supposed to tell that!?” Ran suddenly yelled, her hands slamming down onto the barrier around the witness box. “The room wasn't well lit! It never is!”

“Revise your testimony.” Medicine stated. “If the bad light confused you, state so.” She seemed a little irritated, though it was hard to tell due to her lack of expression. “Hide nothing. Tell everything. In that way alone will you prove her guilt.” She nodded. “The truth will be revealed. That is the purpose of a court.”

The fox-youkai gave the prosecutor a suspicious glance, then nodded slightly. “Fine.” She muttered, “Fine.”

* * * * * * *
TESTIMONY: 'After Dinner: Repeat'
* * * * * * *

“Suika and Reimu had just left and I was taking Yukari her own meal. She never had any real sense of time, so it didn't particularly matter that she was served half an hour after everyone else.”

“I don't know what they had been discussing but Suika and Yukari had been talking about if for hours, they didn't even stop when we got home - just headed straight into Yukari's office and kept talking.”

“When I took her the meal I knocked on the door, when I didn't get any reply I tried entering anyway - in case Yukari had just fallen asleep. That's when I saw her. She was just sitting in her chair.”

“I tried to pull on her power, to wake her up, but none came. That's how I knew she was dead. When i looked closer i saw something sticking out from the back of her chair. With the dim lights and the blood everywhere it was hard to tell what it was, so naturally I assumed she had been attacked from behind.”

“I dropped the plate right here, in front of the door. I still haven't cleaned up that mess...”

* * * * * * *
TESTIMONY END
* * * * * * *
>> No. 94086
>>OBJECTION
“I tried to pull on her power, to wake her up, but none came. That's how I knew she was dead. When i looked closer i saw something sticking out from the back of her chair. With the dim lights and the blood everywhere it was hard to tell what it was, so naturally I assumed she had been attacked from behind.”

- If there was dim lighting, how could you see the blood? Also if you saw the back of the chair, how could Yukari have been attacked from behind?

>>Present CRIME SCENE DIAGRAM

- The back of the chair faces the door, Yukari was facing away from the door... meaning she had been attacked from the front, not behind!

>>More OBJECTION!
"and the blood everywhere"

- Also, how could there be blood everywhere? When the police arrived, the place was clean! Did you clean up all the blood and ruin the crime scene Ran?
>> No. 94088
>“I tried to pull on her power, to wake her up, but none came. That's how I knew she was dead. When i looked closer i saw something sticking out from the back of her chair. With the dim lights and the blood everywhere it was hard to tell what it was, so naturally I assumed she had been attacked from behind.”

OBJECTION!

"If you claim that the scene was bloody when you were the one who first found the scene, then..." Close up view to Suika's face. "I could not have been the killer!" Pause for shocked reactions.

"Miss Ran. Recall that you started your testimony with 'Suika and Reimu had just left and I was taking Yukari her own meal' which means that I had left with Reimu and afterwards, you are the one that discovered the bloody body."

"If you'd like to recall back to Detective China's testimony, the crime scene was wiped clean. If you don't understand what I'm getting at here. Then how about explaining why you Miss Ran, had to clean up the blood after discovering the body... hmm? Something to hide perhaps? Perhaps the reason is..." Left hand point! "That you Miss Ran are the killer!" Play cornered music. :awesome:
>> No. 94091
>>When i looked closer i saw something sticking out from the back of her chair. With the dim lights and the blood everywhere it was hard to tell what it was, so naturally I assumed she had been attacked from behind.”
>>“I dropped the plate right here, in front of the door. I still haven't cleaned up that mess...”

Well, this one is rather obvious, as already has been pointed out.
It's already been testified by the detective that the room was clean, and it was the prosecution's assertion that this was due to Suika's power. Meaning, there should have been no blood when Ran found Yukari's body.
Not only does her mention of blood at the scene contradict this, but she even contradicts herself with her statement about not having time to clean up the mess.

That being said...

>> If there was dim lighting, how could you see the blood? Also if you saw the back of the chair, how could Yukari have been attacked from behind?

It might not be impossible to see blood on the floor, if there was enough of it. And from the way Yukari was killed, there should have been a LOT of it. Granted, in low light it might not be easy to identify as blood, but the sight of a dark puddle of SOMETHING would still be enough of a clue that something is very wrong.

As for Ran seeing the back of the chair, she was simply stating she had assumed Yukari had been attacked from behind because she saw "something" sticking out from the back of her chair.

...though I'm not really sure what you're getting at with that particular part. How does Ran being able to see the back of the chair (which is true, she would have been able to) somehow invalidate her assumption about Yukari being attacked from behind? Sure, she's wrong, but that's not the reason why.

>> The back of the chair faces the door, Yukari was facing away from the door... meaning she had been attacked from the front, not behind!

Consider Ran's testimony. She says she saw the back of Yukari's chair from the doorway, which is true. She says she also saw something sticking out from the back of the chair, which could also be true. From that, she claims she assumed Yukari had been attacked from behind.

>>Then how about explaining why you Miss Ran, had to clean up the blood after discovering the body... hmm?

But she never said anything about cleaning up anything.


Careful. Enthusiasm is good, but rushing things will probably do nothing but land some more penalties from the judge.
>> No. 94129
>>94086
Seconding all of this. Exactly what I would have asked.

Also, Ran still hasn't addressed the issue of conflict between her "dropped plate of food" vs. Det. China's "room was clean".

Proceed until witness is thoroughly discredited.
>> No. 94138
Question first: I'd like to know what kind of chair Yukari is sitting on.

Does the chair have solid back support? Or does it have a style? Piercing Yukari from the front would definitely make the tip of the umbrella come out behind her without too much obstruction from the back of the chair. If the chair has a solid back support, why did Ran assume that it came from behind when you could only see the tip and that tip is pointy, definitely not used for handling and stabbing specially ramming it from the back of chair and to the body.
>> No. 94148
File 125289292387.jpg - (64.98KB , 413x459 , igiaridaze.jpg ) [iqdb]
94148
>Also, Ran still hasn't addressed the issue of conflict between her "dropped plate of food" vs. Det. China's "room was clean".

This is what I want Ran to testify more.
>> No. 94825
“But,” Suika began, cocking her head to one side after the last of Ran's testimony. “You cleaned another mess up, didn't you?”

“Objection.” Stated Medicine. “No mention of mess outside that of the blood was made by -” She paused then, frowned ever so slightly, then shot a look over at Ran. “... I see.” She glanced back at Suika. “Say it then. I know you wish to do so.”

The oni grinned once more. “OBJECTION!” She yelled, and was about to go into a rant when Shikieiki held her hand up like a schoolchild with a question.

“I feel a little lost here,” she stated, “Exactly what are you objecting to? The testimony, or the prosecutions objection?”

“Isn't it obvious?” One look at Ran confirmed Suika's suspicions, the blond woman was even now looking as if she would like nothing more than to escape right away. “Thanks to the contradiction in her testimony, we now know that the murder scene was covered in blood when Ran came across it - long after I had already left the building. This means that the person who cleaned up the blood from the murder scene - was Ran herself!”

“That's a lie!” Roared the witness, her fangs bared. Her claws were out as she gripped the rail around the witness box, leaving several great gashes behind in the wood.

“Objection!” Suika roared back, glaring at Ran. “You just admitted that the scene was covered in blood - which we know for a fact it wasn't when China searched the place after you reported it!” Slamming her palms down on her bench, the red-headed oni leaned forwards. “You're lying, and your own words have proved the contradictions in your lies! You claimed Yukari was stabbed from behind when evidence says it was from the front! You claimed to be able to tell she was dead before you could even see the body! You claimed the scene was covered in blood!” Pulling herself to her full height, Suika pointed dramatically at the witness, who even now was chewing on her own hat in frustration. “Exactly why should anyone believe anything you have said before this court!?”

“Objection.” Medicine cut in, “Though this testimony is... inconsistent... in places, this does not prove that you did not kill Yukari yourself.”

“No,” Suika was forced to agree, “But it does show that the evidence of the scene was tampered with! And if that is the case - then anyone could have murdered Yukari and just made it look like I did!” She frowned, “It's still not enough yet though.”

“Indeed it is not.” The prosecutor shook her head slowly. “Your innocence is still in doubt.” Then she glared over at Ran. “However now too is your guilt. I do so dislike it when witnesses lie to both myself and the court. Had you admitted to cleaning the scene originally then perhaps I could have avoided this situation - now instead your words of accusation are worthless.” Suika, along with many of the court spectators, wrinkled her nose as the air filled with a sickly sweet scent. Lily-of-the-valley probably, a good indication of how irritated Medicine was under her emotionless facade. She turned to look towards the bailiff, “Take her away.” She demanded, “I have no further use for a witness such as this. I will have to bring out the prosecutions final witness, Yakumo Chen, in her place.”

There was a yell of anger as Ran was manhandled out of the courtroom by bailiff Komachi and, after a few blows had been thrown, detective Meiling as well. For a while afterwards the court was silent, with only the occasional sound of rustling paper in the air.

“U-um?” Eventually a timid voice broke in from the witnesses entrance, “Is this, um, where I come on?” Moments later the diminutive form of Chen, the shikigami's shikigami, stepped out and shuffled over onto the witnesses stand.

“State your name and occupation.” Medicine stated, wasting no time.

“Y-Yakumo Chen!” The girl declared, “And I'm Ran-chama's Shikigami!”

“Lets get this over with. Please recite what occurred on the day of Yakumo Yukari's murder.”


* * * * * * *
TESTIMONY: 'What I Saw'
* * * * * * *

“I was out all morning playing with the others, so I dunno much about what happened then...”

“But I came back 'cuz I was getting hungry, and Ran-chama always has some snacks out for me when I've been out playing.”

“I was gonna take some to miss Yukari an' sneak 'em in through her window - 'cuz Ran-chama doesn't like it when Yukari snacks between meals. She says it's okay for me 'cuz I run around and play and stuff, but Yukari just sleeps and doesn't exercise.”

“Miss Yukari was inside, and she was arguin' with... her.”

“They argued an' argued, an' then she grabbed miss Yukari's umbrella and stabbed her!”

“Miss Yukari kinda looked funny, then sat down an' didn't move - I din' know what to do so I ran an' hid and kept hiding, even when Ran-chama called me for dinner I kept hiding 'cuz I was scared that I was seen and I din' wanna get stabbed too!”

* * * * * * *
TESTIMONY END
* * * * * * *
>> No. 94827
>“U-um?” Eventually a timid voice broke in from the witnesses entrance, “Is this, um, where I come on?” Moments later the diminutive form of Chen, the shikigami's shikigami, stepped out and shuffled over onto the witnesses stand.

>“State your name and occupation.” Medicine stated, wasting no time.

>“Y-Yakumo Chen!” The girl declared, “And I'm Ran-chama's Shikigami!”

Oh, this should be fun.
>> No. 94828
Press for more information on the following:
>>“But I came back 'cuz I was getting hungry, and Ran-chama always has some snacks out for me when I've been out playing.”
About what time did she come back for snacks?

>>“Miss Yukari was inside, and she was arguin' with... her.”
Arguing about what? And where in the room were they? Basically, what did the scene look like from her vantage point?

Also, a big OBJECTION to:
>>“Miss Yukari kinda looked funny, then sat down an' didn't move
We've already established that Yukari was not simply stabbed with the parasol, she had it driven so far through her it went through the back of the chair. Even Ran claimed to have seen part of it sticking out.
If that's so, then what Chen just testified is impossible.

The way Yukari's body was found, she had to have been already sitting in her chair when the killer attacked her with the parasol, pinning her to the chair with it in a single thrust. There's no way she could have sat down after getting attacked, because she wasn't even standing when she was attacked.

Might be wise to not get too tough on the kid, lest we get penalized for looking like a bully.

Well, for now, at least. I have a bad feeling about where this is going to end up...
>> No. 94833
>>94828

>“Miss Yukari was inside, and she was arguin' with... her.”

Tone of voice. It probably sounded like we were arguing. Chen can just say that she wasn't listening to the conversation, just that it sounded like we were arguing.

The part about Ran calling Chen to dinner seems a little off, but that's just me.
>> No. 94835
File 125335245444.jpg - (56.27KB , 340x500 , 21-0795chair.jpg ) [iqdb]
94835
>>“Miss Yukari was inside, and she was arguin' with... her.”
PRESS : "Who is this her you're speaking of?"


And about the chair in question, could we take a look at it? Because I think the chair might be the one like in this picture. If it is, that statement is possible due to the chair has the space for the umbrella to pass through in the first place.
>> No. 94838
>>94835

NO

We will not talk about THIS CHAIR. That was bad and you should feel bad for mentioning it.
>> No. 94849
>>94835

“The victim was found in the center of the room, pinned to a chair by her own parasol - driven in through her chest from the front."

I believe this implies that it is a full-backed chair, and that Yukari and the chair were both impaled by the parasol.
>> No. 95631
>“I was out all morning playing with the others, so I dunno much about what happened then...”
PRESS: What others?

>“But I came back 'cuz I was getting hungry, and Ran-chama always has some snacks out for me when I've been out playing.”
PRESS: What time did Chen return?

>“I was gonna take some to miss Yukari an' sneak 'em in through her window - 'cuz Ran-chama doesn't like it when Yukari snacks between meals. She says it's okay for me 'cuz I run around and play and stuff, but Yukari just sleeps and doesn't exercise.”
PRESS for elaboration. Went in through the windows? Chen's impression of Yukari? etc.

>“Miss Yukari was inside, and she was arguin' with... her.”
PRESS: "Her" who?

>“They argued an' argued, an' then she grabbed miss Yukari's umbrella and stabbed her!”
PRESS: What were they arguing about?

>“Miss Yukari kinda looked funny, then sat down an' didn't move - I din' know what to do so I ran an' hid and kept hiding, even when Ran-chama called me for dinner I kept hiding 'cuz I was scared that I was seen and I din' wanna get stabbed too!”
PRESS for elaboration.
OBJECT to "sat down in the chair and didn't move"; PRESENT Meiling's testimony that
>“The victim was found in the center of the room, pinned to a chair by her own parasol - driven in through her chest from the front."
as contradictory evidence.
>> No. 95891
“Let's just get some, y'know, clarification here.” Suika states, “I guess by 'her' you mean me, right?” Chen glances at the oni, makes an angry face, then nods and looks away. “Right, right, and what sort of time was it that you came back for those snacks?”

“About... um...” Chen shuffles her feet for a few moments, “The sun was over there.... so... about half-way through the afternoon?”

“That fits with the time of death,” Suika murmured to herself, “But your words don't fit with the manner of death.” She added, loud enough to be heard by the court. “You claim that Yukari 'sat down and didn't move' after being stabbed.”

Chen nodded, “Yes, yes, that's right, after you stabbed her!”

“I wonder how hard she sat down then,” the oni responded, “If it was able to drive the umbrella through the back of her chair and not, instead, just push it back out of her when it hit the back.” The horned girl frowned, “Hell, I wonder how she could have sat down to even get the right angle on something like that and not just bend the umbrella instead.”

The small bakeneko suddenly developed what seemed, to Suika, to be a vicious expression. The moment she blinked, however, the look was gone, replaced with that of a girl about to burst into tears. “Y... You muh-meanie!” She wailed, tears bursting from her eyes, “Yuh-yoh jus' wanna trick me so you can save yourself!”

“W-what!?” Suika recoiled at the accusation, “I'm not! I'm just in this for the tru-” She was cut off as Chen let out another large wail of despair.

“Defence.” The oni winced as Shikieiki spoke up. “You shouldn't be badgering a witness to tears like this. Besides,” she smiled down at Chen, “I'm sure there's an explanation, she's just upset and confused is all.” Reaching over her podium - a difficult task for someone so short - she gave Chen's hair a cheerful ruffle.

“Ugh...” Komachi groaned, from her position to the side of the witness stand. “Th' Boss's cat obsession again.”

“Now,” Shikieiki continued, smiling gently down at the cat-girl, “Why don't you tell us again what you saw? In your own time, okay?” She practically cooed that last part, then looked up and glared at suika. “And don't worry about that mean, nasty defense lawyer. If she tries to bully you again I'll penalize her down so hard she'll leave a crater in the floor.”

Suika merely winced at that.


* * * * * * *
TESTIMONY: 'What I Saw'
* * * * * * *

“I was out all morning playing with the others, so I dunno much about what happened then...”

“But I came back 'cuz I was getting hungry, and Ran-chama always has some snacks out for me when I've been out playing, I was out playin' with cirno an' wriggle an' mysti an' everyone. I guess I came back at near half-way through the afternoon.”

“I was gonna take some to miss Yukari an' sneak 'em in through her window - 'cuz Ran-chama doesn't like it when Yukari snacks between meals. She says it's okay for me 'cuz I run around and play and stuff, but Yukari just sleeps and doesn't exercise.”

“Miss Yukari was inside, and she was arguin' with... her. Um. Th' oni I mean. Th' meanie lawyer person over there.”

“They argued an' argued, an' then she grabbed miss Yukari's umbrella and stabbed her!”

“And, um, when she sat down, she stabbed her again! That musta been when the umbrella went through th' back of th' chair... I guess.”

“Miss Yukari kinda looked funny, then sat down an' didn't move - I din' know what to do so I ran an' hid and kept hiding, even when Ran-chama called me for dinner I kept hiding 'cuz I was scared that I was seen and I din' wanna get stabbed too!”

* * * * * * *
TESTIMONY END
* * * * * * *


Suika winced once more. There wasn't much, if anything, in this testimony she could use... but, it was getting late - and if she could maybe stall for time without getting penalized - pushing the court decision to tomorrow would perhaps give her time to do some investigation of her own. As a working defense lawyer she did have the right to do so - but given her current accused status it would probably have to be done with an escort. China perhaps, or Komachi.

First thing first however. She needed to stall.
>> No. 95899
>“And, um, when she sat down, she stabbed her again! That musta been when the umbrella went through th' back of th' chair... I guess.”

"I think we need a more detailed autopsy report about this Double penetration that Chen speaks of. And I think it will take time. Defend propose that the court is adjourned until tomorrow!"

Stalling tactics. Phoenix Wright style.
>> No. 95911
Eh...no ideas here.

Hmm...wait, half-afternoon? Wasn't Yukari killed at 7pm?
>> No. 95997
>>95911
No, Ran supposedly walked in on the crime scene at 7PM. The autopsy report says that the murder "happened two hours before" that time. Better leave that alone, it'll give us a penalty.

My call: If we're stalling for time, best thing to do is
[+] PRESS on everything.
Hope the witness slips up.
>> No. 96004
>>95997
Penalty, hurr.
>> No. 96099
>>96004
>The judge glared down at her. “Perhaps a Penalty will encourage you to think before you speak next time.”
>*PENALTY: 1 / 5*
We've already got one. Your call.
>> No. 96127
>>95899

The *Double penetration* Chen saw is giving me a hard-on.
>> No. 97642
Suika pressed. She questioned, she examined and re-examined.

In the end all it got her was a few more penalties. Every time she felt she was growing close to something important Chen would start bawling and wailing. Each time Shikieiki would take the cat's side, convinced that Suika was bullying the witness, and slap the oni down with another penalty.

Thank the heavens it was all over. Enough doubt had been raised over her being the killer that the trial was set to continue the following day. With luck she would be able to find some further proof that it hadn't been her - or better yet, proof that someone else was the murderer.

What she would really have liked to do was get a good look of the crime scene, but it was unlikely Ran would let her anywhere near the place. Hell, given she was still the prime suspect it was probably going to be that Meiling had orders to keep her away too - not that Meiling had a hope in hell of stopping Suika if she really wanted to look but... best not to rile the law up any more than it was already.

So what did that leave? She had everyone and anyone in gensokyo to look in on... but that meant nothing if she didn't even know where to start!

Suika frowned and took a slug of her newly returned alcohol.

Fuck it. She'd just pick a place to hit first and think about what to do afterwards when the time came.


CHOSE WISELY: A place to examine, a person to see.

Things are different for this bit, since you're now outside of court. you do, however, have limited time to do stuff... so don't mess about too much.
>> No. 97649
[X] Hakurei Shrine, Reimu

If the crime scene itself is currently out of the question, and the people most connected to the crime being either dead, unwilling to help, or Suika herself, that leaves the people connected to the people connected to the crime to check out.

As Reimu was also present at the Yakumo home when the crime was allegedly taking place, she seems as good a person to start with as any.

Likewise, while Chen is probably inaccessible, the friends she was supposedly playing with probably are not.
>> No. 97747
[X] Hakurei Shrine, Reimu
Good choice.
Actually I want to go for [x]detention center, Chen. But She might not say anything because Suika's being 'scary lady' in her eyes.
>> No. 97749
>>Actually I want to go for [x]detention center, Chen. But She might not say anything because Suika's being 'scary lady' in her eyes.

I'm more inclined to think she wouldn't say anything because she wouldn't have any reason to be at the Detention Center to begin with. That's where they generally keep the murder suspects, not the family of the victim, after all.
>> No. 97752
I must OBJECT! to penalties being given in response to questioning a witness.
If this did happen, how many penalties are we at now?

[+] Hakurei Shrine, Reimu
Good reasons as given above.

Thinking about having Suika spy on the Yakumo house in fog form, but at the moment it's likely Ran has some sort of countermeasure or detection for that.

>>97747
Probably wouldn't be productive, but I suspect for a different reason. Chen was putting on her moe face for the court, but it slipped when we pointed out her contradiction.

She's lying through her teeth about something, but with a biased judge mucking up the pursuit of justice, there's no way to wring the truth out of her.
>> No. 116806
More.
>> No. 116814
necrooooo
>> No. 120702
Please, sir. May we have some more?