[Return]
Archived Thread

File 123989358398.jpg - (84.57KB , 1280x960 , Meira wall.jpg ) [iqdb]
84441 No. 84441
No reason to get flighty just yet, you don't know why she's here or for how long. Second, Miss Ellen isn't going to entertain violence in her own apartment, and even if it did come to that, you have that laser pistol.
“A drop of honey, actually, if you have it, Miss Ellen.”
Miss Ellen looks away for a moment in concentration, "Yes, I believe there's some in... that cabinet there Maximilian. Be a dear and fetch it would you?"
The cabinet is full of labeled jars, and the honey is all the way in the back, taking you some time to get at. "Does Meira visit you often, Miss Ellen?" You glance at the girl, still rigid, but she's moved her hand over her sword handle, stroking it idly. You swallow nervously, handing the honey jar to Miss Ellen; might be best to just talk with her directly.
"Oh yes, May comes by daily, I think. I'm pleased to have the company, certainly." Her smile tells you she really means it, even if she may not always entirely remember who 'May' is. If it's a social visit, she should leave in due time. You wonder if there's anything else you could help Miss Ellen with, but she shoos you out of the kitchen. "Go on. She won't bite, Mr. Rockatansky. I can prepare tea one my own at the very least."
She's right; unlike someone with dementia, Miss Ellen seems to have maintained a firm hold on procedural memory. With no excuse to stay in the kitchen, you walk over to the small dining table. One side being flush against the wall leaves exactly the appropriate number of seats, so you sit down across from Meira, who keeps her eyes closed.
You knock twice on the table, "Real wood."
This has the wanted effect of forcing Meira to attention.
"Meira," you greet her with a smile.
She nods at you. "Rocka—ahem,“ she clears her throat, and lowers her pitch so to as to be an octave below yours, “Rockatansky.” It forces you to bite your lip to keep from laughing at this comically gruff girl.
Meira is wearing her usual red & white flowing robes, her long sleeves sporting a few kanji you don't recognize, one of them doubtlessly her family name that you've never heard. There's also the manji–卐–advertising her Buddhist religiosity, and the chrysanthemum–❁–presumably symbolic of fealty to the Emperor, as if such a person still existed. Her jacket is different from the other Tunnel Snakes, tacky, red pleather, and the sleeves cut off, so as to look more like a vest. It's still sports the big ➒ patch on the breast, and the stylized, green “snake” S on the back.
You'll obviously have to be the one to start the conversation. To just keep staring would doubtlessly end with her becoming offended, and the real questions you have could easily be thrown back at you or dismissed by her saying, “It's none of your business.” It has to be an open question, otherwise she simply answers it, and you're back to square one. Meira is an all-business type of girl, so she won't deign to answer anything trite (“how have you been?” as if you really cared), but she's also stupid, so waxing philosophical is going to piss her off. Therefore it has to be a subject that she has a firm enough grasp on to elaborate.
“Meira, you're pure-blooded Japanese, but I don't think I've ever seen your name in writing. What ideograms does it use? I assume they're written somewhere on your clothes there.”
Meira looks at you carefully for a moment and nods. She lifts the left breast of her vest away with her left hand, and with her right arm (which she seems to have slipped back inside her robes) points to two of the revealed symbols with two fingers—明羅. Her voice is its normal throaty self, but she takes care to articulate her words: “'Meira' is formed of two kanji, although these kanji together could also be read 'Akira' in the feminine. The first–明–'Mei' but also often 'Myou' or 'Min', means light or brightness. It is very common and slightly masculine. The second–羅–almost always read 'ra', meaning 'gauze or silk' but also 'Rome' is somewhat common and exclusively feminine.”
You decide to take a chance and crack a grin, “Roman candle?”
She meets your smile very mildly, nodding in concurrence, “That is the reading I favor.”
“It makes some sense. Heliotrope is a shocking hair color to be found among pure-blood Japanese for certain.”
Her smile disappears, “I believe you have misunderstood, Rockatansky-san. I am pure-blood Japanese, but I did not say I was pure-blood human.
It's a good thing the tea isn't ready yet, otherwise you'd have dropped the cup on the floor, dumped it on your pants, started choking on it, or some other gag. At least you have no reason to hide your own reason for being here, now.
“That is... interesting. And rather unexpected.”
The faint smile appears again, but the narrowed eyes make it seem a bit predatory, “If it is not generally known, then it is because it is not generally asked. Does it concern you, Rockatansky-san?”
“No, not in the slightest. I was just surprised; I didn't realize there were any others down here.” It doesn't make her scarier; it's makes the girl who trounced her scarier.
Now it's her turn to look surprised. “Others?”
You regain your confidence, and with it, your smile. “Yes. Beside us two. Let me guess, a scar shaped like something out of an atlas on the small of your back where they removed the tail?”
She's left agape for a moment, but then collects herself a responds with her small smile, “I thought it looked more like the disembodied head of Vladamir Lenin.” You share a chuckle.
“Aren't we chatty this late afternoon?” Miss Ellen comes in cheerfully bearing a tray laden with porcelain and pastry.
“Miss Ellen, you're just in time. We were discussing the particulars of growing up half-youkai in the Vault.”
“Oh?” She places the platter down on the table, as starts to distribute the cups, saucers, napkins and dishes.
“Yes,” you continue, “It's actually what I came to ask you about.”
Sokrates scrambles off Meira's lap, and into Miss Ellen's, when the schoolteacher finally sits down, leaving Meira looking somewhat disappointed. Curious.
“Well, you did have that tail.”
“Yes, we all know about the tail. Specifically, do you know anything about my mother.”
She maintains her smile even while admonishing you, “That's classified information, Maximilian. You know the identities of pure youkai in the Vault are not a matter of publi—“
“Rin Satsuki.”
Miss Ellen loses her smile and sets her teacup down on her saucer, shakily.
“Where did you hear that name?” Miss Ellen asks you with uncharacteristic gravity. Meira looks on at the exchange with interest.
You keep silent, matching her stare. After a few long seconds, she gives in with a sigh.
“Rin Satsuki. Your mother,” she halts for a moment, but continues when it's clear you're not surprised at this, “Was a youkai, specifically a kirin.”
Now it's Meira's turn to look shocked. “A kirin?” Pointing at you, “Seriously?”
“That I don't understand. Why is the fact she was a kirin make a difference over any other youkai?”

>> No. 84444
File 123989414085.jpg - (99.32KB , 512x721 , kirin.jpg ) [iqdb]
84444
Meira snorts at your professed ignorance. “If you were told your mother was a dragon, you would not be asking this.”
“Sorry, I just don't have a firm grasp on the properties of things I thought didn't exist.”
“Maximilian, May's comparison is not wrong. However it is true that she, like all other youkai, changed profoundly in her abilities after the War, with the failure of the Border, and even more so for her, since she had once been so high up. How much do you know about them?”
“Nothing really. I thought they were unicorns, but people keep telling me otherwise.”
Miss Ellen takes a sip of tea, sets the cup back on the platter, at nods at some internal resolution. “You won't leave this room until we can do something about that!” Full-on lecture mode. “Kirin were fearsome hunters of the wicked and protectors of the innocent. They were immensely powerful, even in comparison to other youkai, and had all kinds of supernatural attributes: ability to summon sacred flame, walk on water, move through undergrowth without trampling the grass, flight of course, and they could detect the guilt in a person's mind. They were exclusively vegetarian, were which makes them not even properly a youkai by the standard definition. What's more is that they were said to come from the Heavens themselves, beings of a higher state of existence than we mere humans, fairies, and youkai.”
“They are on a higher karmic rung, Rockatansky-san. Devas, to use the Sanskrit word. They were symbols of fortune and wisdom, and to be graced by the presence of one meant to exist in a time of unparalleled enlightenment. Confucius' birth was said to be foretold by the appearance of one. The mere sight of a kirin at your birth would be considered auspicious, Rockatansky-san, let alone bearing you into this world,” Meira adds with uncharacteristic earnest.
“Or her death in the process might portend terrible calamity,” you sigh.
Meira suddenly pushes her chair back and stands up; you think she's about to chop your head off then-and-there, but to your surprise, she only bows in apology. “Forgive this one, Rockatansky-san. I did not know of your mother's passing; my words were indelicate.”
Normally this is the kind of thing you'd brush off and tell her to sit down, but people who carry long, sharp objects around with them everywhere are not to be trifled with. You stand yourself, bowing slightly: “You could not have known, and I would take no offense even if you had. It is I who am indebted to you, for clearing my own ignorance of the historicity of beings such as this.”
“Well, aren't you both darling?” Followed by tittering. Miss Ellen might be the only person who could've said this and not sounded sarcastic. She muffles herself with a lemon tart, and you both sit back down.
Meira continues where she left off, “In some traditions, the kirin takes the place of the White Tiger of the West among the Four Sacred Beasts, or even considered a Fifth Beast.”
“Four Sacred Beasts?” You bite into a scone.
“The Shijinjuu. Four Sacred Beasts, or Symbols, divine guardians, who protect the heavens in each cardinal direction: Genbu, the Black Tortoise of the North; Seiryuu, the Azure Dragon of the East; Suzaku the Vermilion Bird—or sometimes Phoenix—of the South, and Byakko, the White Tiger of the West, who each control a quadrant of the night sky. Each of them correspond to a particular element in the Japanese Godai, the North Wind, the Eastern Fire, the Southern Earth, and the Western Water.”
“But there are five elements, I thought?”
Miss Ellen is brought back from her amused dream state by the mention of “elements” and nods approvingly, not missing a beat as she jumps back into the conversation, “You paid at least some attention in my classes, Maximilian. Yes, in the Eastern traditions, there are typically five elements, though which five vary by culture.”
“For the Japanese, they are as I said,” Meira elaborates quickly, as if expects to be cut off at any moment, “With the addition of Void, to which the assignment of a direction would be meaningless.”
“While the Chinese Wu Xing replaces Air with Wood and adds Metal!” Miss Ellen often expresses her enthusiasm for the subjects she teaches with sweeping gestures—but this is definitely one of her “on” phases. “The colors and directions are different, as well. The Black Tortoise of the North is Water. The Azure Dragon of the East is Wood, the Vermilion Bird of the South is Fire—“
“As in Japan,” Meira mutters, frowning and examining a stain left by Miss Ellen's sloshing teacup.
“—and the White Tiger of the West is Metal!”
“Why would they use 'azure' for Wood? Why not green?” You know the reason, but sometimes you need to say things like this to steady her. It takes effect immediately, she stops shaking so much, eyes a little less glossy, but more than happy enough to be able to spout these little factoids.
“You have to keep in mind that many Eastern cultures did not differentiate 'green' and 'blue' for most of their histories, Maximilian. The distinction only became important during the Age of Western Imperialism.”
You nod sagely, pretending that you had merely forgotten. Meira's mild but more meaningful glances and facial expressions lets you know that you'll both be trying to keep Miss Ellen's excitement down. You make tentative steps toward re-initiating the conversation, but at a more stable intensity, “In Japan, Void has no color,” you are affirmed this by a look at Meira, “But what about the Chinese Earth?”
Miss Ellen answers this with a grander smile than usual, “The Earth of the Center is Yellow. After the Yellow Emperor, who rules over the Earth, as the Jade Emperor does the Heavens, which brings us to another important distinction.”
Meira sighs. “Yes, a point of contention between this one and Ellen-sensei.”
Miss Ellen smile grows. “May believes that Void is the appropriate Center, because of it encapsulates Zen Buddhist wisdom.”
“Anātman, in Sanskrit. The concept of no-self,” Meira elaborates.
“I favor the more colorful interpretation, if I do say so myself. Hahaha!” That Meira shakes her head leads you to believe she's heard the same joke more than once before. “Besides, it adds something to the legend, another Sacred Beast.”
“The Fifth of Four,” Meira says derisively.
“The Yellow Dragon of the Center, Huang Long. Messenger of the Yellow Emperor. He is differentiated from the Azure Dragon by his color and lack of horns. It protects not any quadrant of the Heavens, but the Earth itself. It is associated with the Middle Direction.”
You understand the implications. The Middle Kingdom, China. The way she smiles, though, it's as if she'd built the Great Wall her goddamn self.
“The Japanese would have no need for a Fifth Symbol,” Meira counters sourly. “Or more precisely, the thought of associating a symbol with Void would be disingenuous. If there were an equivalent in Japanese for the Yellow Dragon, it would be called 'Ouryuu' or 'Kouryuu', literally. Getting away from that, there's also the seasonal connections: Seiryuu is Spring, Suzaku is the Summer, Byakko is Autumn, and Genbu presides over Winter.”
“With Void not being associated with any season?”
“Correct, but...”
“But in the Chinese tradition, the Yellow Dragon of the Central Earth...”
Meira scoffs at her verbosity.
“...is associated with the change of seasons itself!”
>> No. 84446
File 123989439647.png - (45.00KB , 900x900 , kirin boy.png ) [iqdb]
84446
“We have gone off-track, Rockatansky-san,” Meira says, attempting to move the subject away from one of argument.
“Oh, yes! Um... what were we talking about, May?” This isn't a figure of speech; Ellen really doesn't know.
Kirin, Ellen-sensei. His mother,” May reminds her patiently.
“Oh, right, right!” Miss Ellen turns to you, hurriedly, as if conscious that she might not finish what she has to say before forgetting it again. “The whole point of this. Whether in China or in Japan, the three saintliest beasts, regardless of the tradition of the Four Symbols, are the dragons, the phoenix, and the kirin.”
“That doesn't make any sense at all.”
“Rockatansky-san, it helps to think of the Four as specific beings, paragons of their kind, while the Triad as to refer to the race as a whole. In Japan, we recognize kirin as most superior, then dragon, then phoenix.”
“While in China, the kirin, or 'qi-lin' I should say, is third. There is no real accounting for why this difference occurred; in the Triad there is not the assignment of elements or seasons to explain the difference, though we can see that geography affects the stories. In China, the association of the Tiger as the Western Symbol almost invariable, while in Japan it is, not often, but sometimes, the kirin.”
“And the geography plays in to this how?”
“Because in China, the tiger was considered the king of the beasts. In Japan, where there are no tigers, we can see the kirin as claimant for the position. Moreover, in a land rich in livestock and pasture for grazing like ancient China, there would be allowances for a carnivore, while the agrarian Japan would preferentially elevate the more hart-like kirin.
“Anyway, it must be in part due to associations in the Warring States period in China, where the iconography, especially whichever animal is dominant, changes as rapidly as the fortunes and existence of the warring states themselves. Likely it is more due to warfare and politics which one is traditionally considered greater than the other. The earliest cosmologies in China suggest that before there was the strong astronomical association, the Symbols existed as a triad: The Kirin, the Phoenix, and the Dragon.”
“So regardless of where one looks at the legends, the kirin are seen as extraordinarily virtuous, Rockatansky-san.”
“I don't know much about them, though, beside the legends. I mean, a phoenix, a dragon, I can visualize, but a kirin; what is that, like a horse or something?”
“The kirin is not as simple to describe as the others in terms of anatomy, but it is variously horse, giraffe, ox, dragon, buck, and lion, always horned, always chimerical, and often resplendent in the colors of the rainbow. Sometimes, because of its virtue, it is associated with the Western unicorn, but unlike the unicorn, it is usually two-horned, a masculine symbol—associated with male progeny—and it is never hunted or sought after; rather, it simply appears and then vanishes.”
“Like the unicorn, though, to see one meant halcyon days were ahead,” Miss Ellen sighs.
“We did end up in better shape than the rest of world, Sensei. But yes, as you see, the positive attributes of kirin are manifold, Rockatansky-san: Benevolence, virtue, longevity, grandeur, felicity, successful offspring, and enlightened rule. This association would lead to its use in Buddhist iconography, as the mount for a bodhisattva. They are said to live as long as two millennia, and as such considered symbols of longevity. They're also associated with the peony, um...” It sounds like she's running out of things to tell you. Good, because you've heard enough about legends, and want to know more about people.
“Miss Ellen, how old was my moth—how old was Rin Satsuki, when she passed away?”
She freezes momentarily, then draws up into herself, but that's okay. It means the luggage is there, it'll just take some time to unpack it. The time it takes for Ellen to recall the desired information leaves you enough to ruminate on how you feel toward what you've heard so far. It doesn't feel right to address this person, Rin Satsuki, as 'mother' quite yet. She brought you into the world, yes, but she did this knowing that she would not survive the process to raise you. Does this make her a martyr? Or merely irresponsible? Was this really a hubristic play at immortality on her part, as Dai related, even though you would carry so little of her—an organelle's worth of DNA, a plagiarized name, a scar in place of a tail, and no memories? Perhaps she was suffering, but being 'virtuous', could in no other way justify what would be tantamount to suicide? According to Ellen and Meira's grasp of history, this was a saintly being that should inspire awe. Dai really did her homework there; by the accounts you just heard, a kirin would have been the perfect mother. Would have. Yet, she knew the world you would be born into, knew how little there would be for you here. No handwritten note, no words to live by, no diary, not even a photograph? You raised yourself, either directly, or by searching out for the ones who could. Mary.... Renko.... You found them, out of hundreds of potential friends and acquaintances. You can always be proud of that, that you chose your friends, rather than letting them choose you.
Meira sips at her tea, and the air is no more awkward than if Miss Ellen weren't here at all. Obviously the girl has spent a lot of time with her to not be fazed by witnessing halting states as severe as this one.
“Meira you didn't take the G.O.A.S.T. with me and Ren. You get held back or something?”
She meets your jibe mildly, “No, Rockatansky-san. This one would not be required to take such an exam, and even if she were, she would be done with it long ago.”
“Yeah, you say that, but you can't be more than few years older than me.”
“This one is thirty-seven years of age, Rockatansky-san,” she allows herself a thin, victorious smile.
“Jesus. You look don't look a day past twenty... five.” Scars never take off years, only add on.
“You are not yet old enough to appreciate how large a distance there is between none, one, and one-half, Rockatansky-san, but you will in time; this one has the blood of a crane youkai in her, itself associated with longevity.”
>> No. 84448
File 123989479751.png - (32.24KB , 317x317 , Ellen what.png ) [iqdb]
84448
“Yes! Rin Satsuki must have come into being between the Millennial and the Mongol sacking of Baghdad in 1258 AD!” And finally, the Bat-computer spits out its answer!
“So she was old enough to fight the Nazis, the Commies, and the Mongol hordes?”
“That would be very unlikel—”
“You don't know that; it could've happened.” You wave off Meira dismissively, “Anyways, Miss Ellen, how about you tell me something about my mother. Not about kirin or magical beings in general, but like who she was? Rin Satsuki as a person?” You say, more than a little impatient now.
“As a person, Maximilian?” No. No. Do not start doing this. Miss Ellen, please.
“Yes, Miss Ellen. Rin Satsuki, my mother.”
“Your mother... Your mother... Well, uh, she had her own sort of, how do you say it, she had, uh... verve?
“Verve?” Okay.
“Yes, I think...”
“You think... she had.... verve?”
“Rockatansky-san?”
”Verve!” She reiterates emphatically. “Yes, the kind of person who you'd... uh...” Come on.
“Who you'd what?” You snap your fingers. Pay attention.
“...Pick out in a crowd, easily.”
“So, she was unique?” Just elaborate a little bit. Pretty please.
“Yes, you might say that...”
“And?” I'm right in front of you Miss Ellen.
“She had her own particular... idiom, so to speak.”
“She had her own idiom?” Alright, keep the ball rolling.
“ In fact... much like you, Maximilian!”
“Unique?” A vigorous nod. “Like me?” Another vigorous nod.
“Rockatansky-san.”
“I see more and more of her in you... every day.”
What of her do you see in me?”
“So much... it's 100%—No! 110% Definitely!”
“Rockatansky-san.” Meira's words finally collect your attention, accompanied by the vise-like grasp she has on your forearm.
“... probably...” Miss Ellen finally stops nodding so vigorously because you're no longer shaking her by the shoulders.
“I must request you relinquish your hold on Sensei and return to your seat.” She commands, free hand resting on the hilt of her sword. Your allergy to sharp implements being what it is, you do the sensible thing and let go of the witch.



Well, now that you've gotten over the fact that Miss Ellen is total fucking space cadet, you moved on to observing more pleasant things. Like how good this tea is. And how multipurpose doilies are. And how many detailed anecdotes Ellen can recite photographically when working as an actress, while being totally useless for your purposes. Miss Ellen now you've decided to ignore for the rest of the visit; she doesn't make it very difficult for you. At least Meira is fairly interesting.
“Job? This one was not assigned an occupation, rather she was born into it.”
“Being a samurai?”
“Do you have something against that Rockatansky-san?”
Well, no. Not really. You shake your head. Most 'jobs' it seems that are given to people in the Vault are sinecures & time-wasters. But it gives people something to do, so as to distract them from the horrifying reality that we're buried in a lead coffin far underground. How does this one cope with the boredom?
“So you pretty much just... hang around and look thuggish?” Does she reserve such polite airs when she's with Ren?
“This one has hobbies.” Yes, Meira is definitely the bitch in that relationship. If there really is one. You wouldn't dare speak about Ren in this woman's presence. Not that she'd kill you right in front of Miss Ellen. Oh, right, maybe she could. 'Why no officer, I was sitting at the table drinking tea with Miss Ellen, who could no doubt vouchsafe my alibi.' No, scratch that. You can't imagine this woman using the words 'vouchsafe' or 'alibi'.
“What hobbies?” You imitate one of Ren's trademark facial expressions in an attempt to get a rise out of her. It doesn't work.
“I provide appropriate musical accompaniment for public Vault ⑨ ceremonies.”
“You? A sound tech?” Who would've thought?
“No. You misunderstand], Rockatansky-san. I play the koto.”
“I know what that is, that's um... a traditional string instrument, like a... Autoharp?”
Meira bristles and you can almost hear the sound of the enamel on her teeth being stripped away by grinding, “The chorded zither, along with the trademark 'Autoharp', are historically and technically quite distinct from the traditional Japanese koto.”
“Well, I'm still guessing it's twangy. Not much call for live music down hear, I assume.”
“That is correct, the last time I played something for a ceremony, it was about eighteen... oh, must be around the time when you were born? Oh my. My humblest apologies, Rockatansky-san.” That was low, Meira Whatever Your Last Name is.
“Now, now May, the boy isn't about to take offense at something like that.”
“That she was a kirin is particularly disheartening; had I known, I would have performed something more thoughtful than Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 2.”
“Don't be too down May, I'm sure you'll perform wonderfully for the next function.”
“Which would be when?” You don't plan on dying anytime soon.
“Your wedding of course Maximilian, you silly boy!”
“It would be my honor to play at your wedding, Rockatansky-san,” she says, smiling politely as she can while competing with Miss Ellen's desire to gossip, “And it would allow a chance to honor your mother properly.”
“So, tell us, tell us, who are the hopefuls?” Miss Ellen claps her hands together in excitement, her sudden liveliness spooking Sokrates into scrambling off her lap.
“Well, Look at the time! It's been real guys,” standing up.
“Oh, fiddlesticks. Maximilian, before I forget, I had something to give to you...”
Ha ha, what?
“Yes, I wrote it down in a note, here.”
She produces a heavily creased slip of paper and unfolds it. It's not in her handwriting. In fact, it's not in handwriting at all. And it's printed on the official Vault ⑨ letterhead. Dai's way of saying “thanks for playing”?
“Yes, I was supposed to give you some magical tomes from the Restricted Stock. Seeing as you're the presumptive 'Special Diplomancer' of Vault ⑨, as decided by your G.O.A.S.T. results. Funny... I don't remember there being a position like that, but, oh, you know me, always with my head in the clouds!” She chuckles.

“Now, ah, under what elemental framework did you concentrate on in your studies, Maximilian?”

[ ] Oriental Systems:
- [ ] Godai—Japanese Five Elements (Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Void)
- [ ] Wu Xing—Chinese Five Movements (Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, Water)
- [ ] Mahābhūta—Hindu & Buddhist Elements (Prithvi, Ap, Agni, Vayu, Akasha)
[ ] Occidental Systems:
- [ ] Hellenistic Elements (Sylph, Salamander, Gnome, Undine, Sprite)
[ ] Write-in?

This is an important choice here. Unfortunately, there was really no info on Hatarakimono that I could find.
>> No. 84461
[X] Occidental Systems:
- [X] Hellenistic Elements (Sylph, Salamander, Gnome, Undine, Sprite)

This, mostly because I want something different than the traditional RPG.
>> No. 84464
[ ] Occidental Systems:
- [ ] Hellenistic Elements (Sylph, Salamander, Gnome, Undine, Sprite)
>> No. 84468
[X] Godai—Japanese Five Elements (Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Void)

Though choice between this and the Hellenistic option. Ultimately, I chose this one for a few reasons: First, the kirin exist in this belief, and that may give us some bonuses at some point. Second, I'd like to hear how the system actually works to some extent. Third, it simply seems most appropriate for a choice our character would make.
>> No. 84475
[X]Hatarakimono
>> No. 84480
holy crap wall! with kanji too and weird symbols.
>> No. 84488
File 123991012899.jpg - (26.47KB , 425x263 , darkness.jpg ) [iqdb]
84488
[x] Darkness-Darkness (Darkness, Darkness, Darkness, Darkness, Darkness)
[x] Godai—Japanese Five Elements (Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Void)
>> No. 84499
[X] Godai—Japanese Five Elements (Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Void)
>> No. 84507
[X] Occidental Systems:
- [X] Hellenistic Elements (Sylph, Salamander, Gnome, Undine, Sprite)
>> No. 84517
- [X] Mahābhūta—Hindu & Buddhist Elements (Prithvi, Ap, Agni, Vayu, Akasha)
>> No. 84519
- [x] Wu Xing—Chinese Five Movements (Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, Water)

mukyu
>> No. 84522
[X] Oriental Systems:
- [X] Godai—Japanese Five Elements (Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Void)
>> No. 84523
File 123991798218.jpg - (63.52KB , 528x600 , 528px-FiveElementsCycleBalanceImbalance.jpg ) [iqdb]
84523
[ ] Wu Xing—Chinese Five Movements (Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal, Water)

Read the Wikipedia article and it was cool how the elements interacted with each other.
>> No. 84524
[X] Oriental Systems:
- [X] Godai—Japanese Five Elements (Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Void)
>> No. 84550
[X] Oriental Systems:
- [X] Godai—Japanese Five Elements (Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Void)

I loved Musashi Miyamoto's method of thought and explanation in his Book of Five Rings, and overall I prefer this elemental system to the Chinese pentagram. I find Wood and Metal poorly equated in modern references sometimes (various games and so on), but that might be because this separation of elements is not easily intuitive to westerners. I don't know enough about the others to say much else though.

Patchouli already holds mastery of the Chinese pentagram anyway.
>> No. 84567
>>84550
>Patchouli already holds mastery of the Chinese pentagram anyway.

So? Who said she can be an ally?
>> No. 84577
>>84567
For all we know, she's dead at this point. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
>> No. 84580
[X] Occidental Systems:
- [X] Hellenistic Elements (Sylph, Salamander, Gnome, Undine, Sprite)

I blame Secret of Mana for this decision.
>> No. 84583
[X] Occidental Systems:
- [X] Hellenistic Elements (Sylph, Salamander, Gnome, Undine, Sprite)
>> No. 84584
[X] Occidental Systems:
- [X] Hellenistic Elements (Sylph, Salamander, Gnome, Undine, Sprite)
>> No. 84585
[X] Occidental Systems:
- [X] Hellenistic Elements (Sylph, Salamander, Gnome, Undine, Sprite)
>> No. 84591
[x] Occidental Systems:
- [x] Hellenistic Elements (Sylph, Salamander, Gnome, Undine, Sprite)
>> No. 84593
[X] Occidental Systems:
- [X] Hellenistic Elements (Sylph, Salamander, Gnome, Undine, Sprite)

What can I say? I'm most familiar with these. I love this update, by the way.
>> No. 84596
[X] "I'm so high, I don't know what's going on."
>> No. 84654
[X] Oriental Systems:
- [X] Godai—Japanese Five Elements (Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Void)
>> No. 84656
[X] Oriental Systems:
- [X] Godai—Japanese Five Elements (Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Void)
>> No. 84660
[ ] the Plato said it once so it became stock standard system.
- [ ] Fire, Water, Earth, Air as diametrically opposed elements with the world of forms filling in the fifth element and the cosmos possibly forming a sixth. Also, human souls are leftover scraps from the making of the world.

Nah.

[X] Scientific systems:
- [X] Periodic table of the elements. Magic is just an unexplored field of science. I call upon the powers of Seaborgium!!
>> No. 84661
[X] Occidental Systems:
- [X] Hellenistic Elements (Sylph, Salamander, Gnome, Undine, Sprite)
>> No. 84662
It was close, but I'm calling it for the fairy option:

>[X] Occidental Systems:
>- [X] Hellenistic Elements (Sylph, Salamander, Gnome, Undine, Sprite)
>> No. 84676
[X] Scientific systems:
- [X] Periodic table of the elements. Magic is just an unexplored field of science. I call upon the powers of Seaborgium!!
Only one I understand in any way, shape or form.
>> No. 84678
>>84662

And so our relationship with fairies continues
>> No. 84681
File 124000528744.jpg - (486.59KB , 707x1000 , 5999439bfdfe8070d92b1a7f89fbd7e5.jpg ) [iqdb]
84681
[X] Scientific systems:
- [X] Periodic table of the elements. Magic is just an unexplored field of science. I call upon the powers of Seaborgium!!
Only one I understand in any way, shape or form.

Same here.
Also: This image seems appropriate.
>> No. 84682
[X] Scientific systems:
- [X] Periodic table of the elements. Magic is just an unexplored field of science. I call upon the powers of Seaborgium!!

Awesome.
>> No. 84689
>>84676 >>84681 >>84682

Why do you keep voting after the votes have been called?
>> No. 84697
>>84689
I think it's a joke.
>> No. 84707
File 12400283649.jpg - (59.13KB , 555x636 , 2d2030c2aa7f651b260b445423179eb5.jpg ) [iqdb]
84707
>>84689
Well, it's not like it's hard to tell when the writefag posts or anything, what with him not using a trip or name or anything. It shouldn't be hard to tell at all.
Also: The only one who benefited form the war.
>> No. 84718
>>84707
>The one reponsible for the war.
>> No. 84742
>>84707
>The only one who benefited form the war.

Benefited? I suppose at first the fires would have been nice for her, but they went out eventually, leaving nothing left to burn but ash. And by that time anyone she cared about would be either dead or sealed away in a bunker, leaving her alone and aimless in a barren world.
>> No. 84764
>>84742
I don't know about that. I mean, she was underground to start out with, so it wouldn't really affect her lifestyle much. Also, everyone she cares about is underground as well. Add that to the fact that fuel (corpses) temporarily got much more plentiful, and she has a nice holiday. Only real problem is that her work load will get more heavy after the initial boom period. (no pun intended)
>> No. 84793
File 12402119575.jpg - (99.98KB , 822x822 , elementals.jpg ) [iqdb]
84793
Yes, that is a difficult question, especially seeing as they sort of all run together in your head. So, let's look at the elements individually: The application of Fire magic in starting fires is obvious. The application of Water magic in putting those fires out is also obvious. Wood? Healing, regeneration, self-improvement, but fuck if you're going to trust the first two to magic and not modern medicine, and as for the last... hey, isn't that what chems are for? Earth is for protection, shields, fissures, causing cave-ins, and meteors; you very hard to argue with a four-ton slab of stone screaming toward your head from the upper atmosphere. Air is to levitate, move faster, and maybe get some ninja invisibility. Metal is... so passé. Hindi words like 'Akasha' and 'Agni' may sound cool, but drawing on elements named after gods is getting a little too close to theurgy in your opinion. Void...? No Gil. No XP. X-Zone/Vanish only. Final Destination. And with a name like “Void” it sounds like the kind of stuff you'd use to summon some non-Euclidean horror from the Far Realms; I'll keep my sanity, thank you very much, Mr. Al-Hazred. The Hellenistic elements? Ah, Platonic solids. Atomism. The music of the spheres. Alchemy. Ptolemaic cosmology—epicycles within epicycles. Fire (πῦρ), Earth (γῆ), Wind (αὴρ), Water (ὕδωρ), and Heart Æther (αἰθήρ) in colorfully-named flavors and personifications. Pyromancy, Hydromancy, Geomancy, Aeromancy, and Empyromancy. It does readily lend itself to the senses.
“The Greek model is definitely more my style, Miss Ellen.”
She nods approvingly, “I agree, Maximilian. I agree. Just a moment, I have a text that would suit you perfectly.” She would be agreeing with you no matter what you'd have said, but so it goes. She goes off to somewhere in this ridiculously large apartment, likely a secret chamber for storing ancient, dangerous, magical grimoires.
“Your Western blood, Rockatansky-san?” Meira asks without looking at you.
“Possibly, or maybe I just like the concreteness of invoking physical elemental.”
“It is an uncommon path, to be sure; most youkai and humans in the Vault use the traditional Japanese system.”
“Working outside the common framework means my magic will be more difficult to analyze and counter-spell.” You summon a torch-size gout of flame with some basic somatic calligraphy—△—and snap of your fingers, showboating just a little. You can be sure you have her attention now. If you look closely enough, you can see the spirits dancing in it. “Of course, the reverse is also true.” With the other hand you summon a cloud of freezing vapor, the same process in reverse—▽. The closer you bring the two elements together, the more agitated the spirits get, until they touch, exploding in a (harmless) flash of light. Ren would tell you this was energy escaping as photons from 'fire-antifire' annihilation or some shit. Mary would just give you that old 'it's not magic; it's divine power' chestnut. You just see it as clouds of icosahedra and tetrahedra; when they meet opposition, a chain reaction occurs, converting the polygons into spheres, immediately losing adherence and flying off in random directions. Minimal residue tells you that you balanced the elements equally, showing how adept you are at control; most people unconsciously favor one hand over the other.
“However, there is more to magic than the elements, is there not, Rockatansky-san?”
You see what she's getting at. Oriental systems add another level of complexity by the inclusion of the yin and yang axis, entirely independent of the elemental attributes, through which they can derive light & dark, Sun- & Moon-based magics. Moreover, the Oriental elements have no inherent substantive properties—all is an manifestation of the scalar Qi, separate from the Yin-Yang axis and the elements. Is there a way for the Western system to adopt this kind of flexibility, without resorting to (terribly mathematical) astrology and impotent pagan theurgy? No, you'd have to move forward in time: The Christian religion in the early days of the Church borrowed heavily from gnostic and Zoroastrian dualism, and by Forth Century the Church fathers had started to embrace Neo-Platonism en masse. While the dualism would be a broken one, with one side more heavily favored than the other, and what's more, being inherently tied to morality (and hence karmic progression), it may yet be suitable for your purposes. Language of angels & demons—it doesn't get much cooler than “Power Word: Kill”. And even if the atomic elements are innately substantial, they still lack form; transformation through applied numerology, like the Kabbalists used, or by way of calculus, in the manner of the Pythagoreans, are both viable approaches. Uniquely, atomicist magic can be easily applied through by brute-force enumeration, something the Oriental magics are too subtle for. Material components can be a chore, at least for ritual magic, but they're certainly nothing in comparison to the quantity and variety required in the Chinese model. But you're getting ahead of yourself; suffice to say there is plenty of room for adaptability in the Western framework.
“In the West the elements have traditionally been seen as both essential and substantial: fire, water, air, earth, æther—these are not qualities or attributes of things that make up our world, these are the world. Or at least, that's how the basic view of it goes.”
>> No. 84794
File 124021283917.png - (14.91KB , 400x500 , ellen happy.png ) [iqdb]
84794
“Hmm.” You answer seems to satisfy the samurai, so you give her a frank question of your own.
“Meira, when I asked your name before...” Her expression is unreadable, but you're sure she hears you. “You didn't tell me your last name.”
You don't think you've offended her, but she looks troubled at the question nonetheless, straightening her posture and folding her hands.
“It's not a big deal; it just puts me at a bit of a disadvantage, you know?”
She sighs. “You are correct, Rockatansky-san; such a thing is rude of this one, and not at all becoming of one of a buke.”
“'Buke' I'm guessing is another word for samurai?”
“Not exactly. Buke is a caste of minor nobility who acted as vassals to feudal lords, the daimyo, in return for a stipend and living space. A samurai is a male buke trained in the art of war.”
“So what kind of buke are you then if not a samurai?”
“The proper term would be onna-bugeisha, a female buke trained in the art of war. Modern parlance has seen fit to identify the samurai with the entire social class, as well as essentially writing the onna-bugeisha out of history, so it would not be entirely unreasonable to refer to this one as a 'samurai', though she would prefer otherwise.”
“It seems like this is something you should be bitter about. I'm guessing you don't care too much for the post-WWII Americanization?”
“It is hardly the fault of our conquerors. There are many cultural traditions of the Japanese that are worth preserving: Rigidly prescribed gender roles, hereditary rather than meritocratic governance, excessive disparity in personal freedoms and wealth between classes, and extreme ethnocentrism are not those I would count among them.”
“Huh. That's... strikingly egalitarian of you.”
“Who do you thing I am?” She asks in mock offense, the thinnest of smiles on her face.
“That's what I'm trying to figure out. So, what is it?”
“What is what?”
You roll your eyes, slapping both hands on the table. “Your name? I'm going to start making up ones to call you if you don't tell me.”
“It would be nice if this one came to be called by the appellation 'Gozen' but the stars of fame seem so much farther when you're staring up from the bottom of your own burial plot.”
“You're a better poet than Renko, but that's not saying much: May Quincy Adams. May Dickingston. May Cocker—”
“Enough!” She raises a hand. “This one has no last name; the story behind this however is too long to explain to someone with so short an attention span as you.”
“That sounds like a challenge...“
“...here we are!” You hear from Miss Ellen as she walks out from the back recesses of her apartment suite.
“Maybe some other time, Rockatansky-san?”
“Maybe,” you reply honestly—don't have the time right now to weigh whether or not you want this woman as your friend. “So... let's see what you got for me, Miss Ellen? The Necronomicon? The Sixth Book of Moses?”
“I think you'll be surprised! Now close those eyes Maximilian,” says Miss Ellen, hiding the text behind her back. Oh boy. You sure do like surprises. Why do you entertain her like this?
Good question. Though often emotionally draining, Miss Ellen is possessed of a singular ability to bring out one's inner child. There is a palpable aura surrounding her, all klaxon & sirens blaring “MATERNAL WARMTH”—not at all like the cold weight of the parasitic Pip-Fairy on your arm or that pedestal-high, Asiatic hippogriff, of whom you know nothing but a name. You agree with what Yue said about her earlier: '...a happy equilibrium between growth and stagnation.'
“Alright, Miss Ellen. No peeking, I gotcha.” You hold out your hands, and she places something in it. “Well, it's rectangular. Heavy. Very dusty. Is it a book? I think it might be a book!”
“You can open them now Maximilian, you silly-willy.”
“Oh, it's... a copy of Liber de Nymphis, Sylphis, Pygmæis, et Salamandris, et Cæteris Spiritibus by Paracelsus! Is it a first edition? Yes! Published 1564 AD.”
“That's actually the draft work, before the Church censoring,” notes Miss Ellen, trying to read over your shoulder. “It's the seminal work on the medieval association of the Greek elements with spirits; it became quite influential among the Rosicrucians. And there's a hand-written bibliography on the back flyleaves, of related works in the field.”
“A forward by Saint Theresa of Ávila? '...wise men may think there is as much reality in the pygmies of Paracelsus; that is, his non-Adamical men, or middle natures betwixt men and spirits.' Oh thank you so much, Miss Ellen!” You give Miss Ellen a grateful hug, which she returns graciously and without hesitation.
“Ohahaha! Maximilian, you were always such a well-mannered boy.”
You will always be a child in the mind of this woman, but honestly you wouldn't have it any other way. Breaking the embrace, you notice Meira's smile; you're still a little ashamed you got so upset with Miss Ellen earlier, but you're glad that she can see now that you hold no animosity for the old girl.
“I should probably get going. Thank you for the tea and scones Miss Ellen.”
“A trifle, Maximilian, a trifle. Come back any time; I do appreciate good company! Oh hold a minute would you, I need to get something!” Miss Ellen rushes over to the kitchen.
You smile at her retreating form, then turning to Meira, “On that note, it was a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Meira.”
“And yours as well, Rockatansky-san.” She bows her head to you, not getting up, as Sokrates has found its way onto her lap again. “If you ever have questions on Japanese tradition, you'll likely find this one either here or in the diner.”
Miss Ellen comes back, a platter of something in her hands. “Bring these to Maribelle, would you? I do worry if she's eating right.” Oh, Miss Ellen, trying to play matchmaker again aren't you, you sly devil?
“Can do, Miss Ellen.”
“That's the ol' Dunkirk spirit! With men like you around, we'll beat those Lunies yet!”



After another round of goodbyes, you finally leave Miss Ellen's apartment.

Well, that was life affirming. It's good to know Miss Ellen has a caretaker at least.

Still plenty of time left in the day.

[ ] Head to the diner; you'll need a place of relative peace to read this text Ellen gave you.
[ ] You're still not to sure on the specifics of being half-youkai. Maybe that creepy noodle stand lady could give you a different perspective?
[ ] Yue delivered you, you know that much; confront her about your mother.
[ ] Check up on Ren & Mary.
[ ] Head over to Human Resources; your job starts tomorrow, and you'd like to know something about it.
[ ] This laser pistol is still burning a hole in your pocket...
- [ ] See if you can't pawn it in one of the fairy wards.
- [ ] Return it to Kotohime; Dai should've already taken care of the paperwork.
- [ ] It's yours now; you're keeping it. PEW PEW.

[ ] Pip-Fairy ⑨⓪⓪⓪
- [ ] Status
- [ ] Inventory
- [ ] Notes
- [ ] Radio
- [ ] Dai chatter topics? (write-in)



Sunday, October 21, 2277
6:22 PM JST

(⚚) Item added to inventory: Paracelsus' Liber de Nymphis

(✍) Entry added to notes: Flyleaf Bibliography
(✍) Entry added to notes: Hellenistic Elements I
(✉) You have three unread entries in Notes

(❂) Status updated. Race: half-youkai (kirin, celestial)
>> No. 84797
[x] You're still not to sure on the specifics of being half-youkai. Maybe that creepy noodle stand lady could give you a different perspective?
[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨⓪⓪⓪
- [x] Status
- [x] Notes
- [x] Dai chatter topics? (write-in)
- - [x] Your newfound knowledge regarding your past
- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
- - [x] This strange connection you seem to have regarding fairies

Going for seeing Kogasa solely because it's fun giving UFO characters some fleshing out at this stage in the game, and then obviously seeing what Dai has to offer regarding our newly obtained information is certainly important.
>> No. 84798
[x] You're still not to sure on the specifics of being half-youkai. Maybe that creepy noodle stand lady could give you a different perspective?
[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨⓪⓪⓪
- [x] Status
- [x] Inventory
- [x] Notes
- [x] Dai chatter topics? (write-in)
- - [x] Your newfound knowledge regarding your past
- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
- - [x] This strange connection you seem to have regarding fairies

I can dig it.
>> No. 84804
[x] You're still not to sure on the specifics of being half-youkai. Maybe that creepy noodle stand lady could give you a different perspective?
[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨⓪⓪⓪
- [x] Status
- [x] Inventory
- [x] Notes
- [x] Dai chatter topics? (write-in)
- - [x] Your newfound knowledge regarding your past
- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
- - [x] This strange connection you seem to have regarding fairies
>> No. 84805
[x] You're still not to sure on the specifics of being half-youkai. Maybe that creepy noodle stand lady could give you a different perspective?
[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨⓪⓪⓪
- [x] Status
- [x] Inventory
- [x] Notes
- [x] Dai chatter topics? (write-in)
- - [x] Your newfound knowledge regarding your past
- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
- - [x] This strange connection you seem to have regarding fairies
>> No. 84806
[x] You're still not to sure on the specifics of being half-youkai. Maybe that creepy noodle stand lady could give you a different perspective?
[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨⓪⓪⓪
- [x] Status
- [x] Inventory
- [x] Notes
- [x] Dai chatter topics? (write-in)
- - [x] Your newfound knowledge regarding your past
- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
- - [x] This strange connection you seem to have regarding fairies

Miss Ellen is not just a bit confused every so often, it seems she completely falls off the time stream. Fun times all around.
How long does it take to cook canard à l’orange?
>> No. 84807
[x] You're still not to sure on the specifics of being half-youkai. Maybe that creepy noodle stand lady could give you a different perspective?
[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨⓪⓪⓪
- [x] Status
- [x] Inventory
- [x] Notes
- [x] Dai chatter topics? (write-in)
- - [x] Your newfound knowledge regarding your past
- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
- - [x] This strange connection you seem to have regarding fairies
>> No. 84808
[x] You're still not to sure on the specifics of being half-youkai. Maybe that creepy noodle stand lady could give you a different perspective?
[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨⓪⓪⓪
- [x] Status
- [x] Inventory
- [x] Notes
- [x] Dai chatter topics? (write-in)
- - [x] Your newfound knowledge regarding your past
- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
- - [x] This strange connection you seem to have regarding fairies

[ ] This laser pistol is still burning a hole in your pocket...
- [ ] It's yours now; you're keeping it. PEW PEW.
>> No. 84810
[x] You're still not to sure on the specifics of being half-youkai. Maybe that creepy noodle stand lady could give you a different perspective?
[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨⓪⓪⓪
- [x] Status
- [x] Inventory
- [x] Notes
- [x] Dai chatter topics? (write-in)
- - [x] Your newfound knowledge regarding your past
- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
- - [x] This strange connection you seem to have regarding fairies

Sounds good to me.
Seriously, this story is the highlight of my week.
>> No. 84818
you know, we should take some time to read all the stuff we have, like the guides and the book.
>> No. 84838
We aren't leaving anytime soon probably, but yes, going through them at some point is a necessary thing to do.
>> No. 84880
[X] Check up on Ren & Mary.

[X] This laser pistol is still burning a hole in your pocket...
- [X] Turn it off. Damn that hurts.

[X] Pip-Fairy ⑨⓪⓪⓪
- [X] Status
- [X] Inventory
- [X] Notes
>> No. 84944
[M] You're still not too sure on the specifics of being half-youkai. Maybe that creepy noodle stand lady could give you a different perspective?
[a] Pip-Fairy ⑨⓪⓪⓪
- [​s] Status
- [t] Inventory
- [e] Notes
- [r] Dai chatter topics? (write-in)
- - [​S] Your newfound knowledge regarding your past
- - [p] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
- - [a] This strange connection you seem to have regarding fairies

[r] This laser pistol is still burning a hole in your pocket...
- [k] Return it to Kotohime; Dai should've already taken care of the paperwork.

You know, working with spirits for magic is probably a very good idea for Max, given he's a Charisma-based guy.

...Assuming it works at all like that.
>> No. 84981
File 124034204726.jpg - (155.64KB , 492x800 , 678fa52ef03882d75cf0e69214382f9d.jpg ) [iqdb]
84981
[x] You're still not to sure on the specifics of being half-youkai. Maybe that creepy noodle stand lady could give you a different perspective?
[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨⓪⓪⓪
- [x] Status
- [x] Inventory
- [x] Notes
- [x] Dai chatter topics? (write-in)
- - [x] Your newfound knowledge regarding your past
- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
- - [x] This strange connection you seem to have regarding fairies

[X] This laser pistol is still burning a hole in your pocket...
- [X] Turn it off. Damn that hurts.

(✉) You have three unread entries in Notes
- [X] Check Notes.
>> No. 84987
>>84944

That sounds exactly like how someone conceptualized a certain sorceror in D&D 3E, before 3.5 when they all became loldragondescendants.
>> No. 84990
>>84987

bitches don't know bout my +4 LA pixie
>> No. 85027
>>84987

Please enlighten this ignorant clod.
Who is this sorcerer that you speak of?
>> No. 85030
>>85027

I only heard about it in passing on the Internet.

As you may know, a D&D sorcerer has a spontaneous inherent talent for casting arcane spells, rather than the long hours of magical study that a wizard goes through.

Well, in 3E, this inherent talent wasn't exactly defined by the book. This encouraged players of sorcerers to establish their own sort of magical background.

Basically, this particular one was a tribal/shamanistic sort of sorcerer. He learned his spells by basically befriending spirits that had the spells' power. This was played for a bit of comedy when he ran out of castings for the day (e.g. "What do you mean, Magic Missile's not here!?").

However, in 3.5E, this was changed so that every sorcerer has some dragon blood somewhere in his lineage, IIRC.

Sage for off-topic

Inb4 3E/4E shitstorm
>> No. 85031
>>85030

Are you sure it's not that way in 4e? I don't remember that in 3.5...

Back when I DMed, I always gave my players an "off-paper" penalization for having any sort of blood relation to dragons, demons, etc, unless it was particularly interesting or well-played.

Instances of using katanas over masterworked bastard swords were handled similarly.
>> No. 85034
>>85030
>>However, in 3.5E, this was changed so that every sorcerer has some dragon blood somewhere in his lineage, IIRC.
What. Explain how this works.
>> No. 85035
I think it has to do with dragons being shapeshifters and sometimes having a human fetish. Or maybe they're just bored.
>> No. 85037
>>85034

The explanation would be that all dragons have powerful sorcerer-type spellcasting abilities, and some of their descendants would have inherited these abilities.

>>85031
>I don't remember that in 3.5...

My bad, I might be completely wrong on that. I'm probably mixing that up with a series of "Draconic" feats I saw in Complete Mage or thereabouts (not a core rulebook, of course) whose requirements include at least one level of sorcerer. The benefits of the feats themselves really aren't related to sorcery.

>"off-paper" penalization

I wholeheartedly support this notion. I just wish one guy who usually DMs for our group had a grasp of it. He thought his idea for a half-celestial-half-fiend character was really cool.

>4e

I am not going to say anything about 4E. This has nothing to do with any like or dislike of 4E or its players, it is only because I have never bothered to research it.
>> No. 85040
>However, in 3.5E, this was changed so that every sorcerer has some dragon blood somewhere in his lineage, IIRC.
Correction: Draconic, fey, djinn, or really any arcane-inherent race.

Besides, Dragons who can shapeshift are essentially massive sluts with pregnancy fetishes (or evil plots involving offspring) and lifespans in the centuries, if not milennia, in the standard 3.5e cosmology.
>> No. 85072
File 124056527178.jpg - (84.45KB , 1024x768 , duck and cover.jpg ) [iqdb]
85072
...........Firmware updated!




PipFairy ⑨000. Vers. 1.2.2x © RobCo. 2076.
╔Status════════════════════════
Max Rockatansky, Level 2
DNAᴱ: ♂Half-youkai (kirin, celestial)
Occupation: Special Fairy Work Shift Supervisor
Security Clearance: Level 9 (Overseer-restricted)
Vault ID#: 150-⑨-1195
DOB: 9-22-2259
╟──────────────────────────────
CND: Nominal (73bpm, 125/71mmHg, 97.1℉...)
RAD: 0㎭
ENV: ☣0㏙, ☠0㏙, ☢0㎮
EFF: None
╟──────────────────────────────
HP: 230/230
MP: 105/125
AP: 77/77
WT: 11.5/190
╟──────────────────────────────
║☠ P-RES: 10%
║☢R-RES: 10%
║☣B-RES: 10%
║⇥DR: 1
╟──────────────────────────────
║☸ Karma: +450
Alignment: Good
Title: Vault Guardian
╠SPECIAL═══════════════════════
║4 – Strength
║7 – Perception (+)
║6 – Endurance
║9 – Charisma
║6 – Intelligence
║6 – Agility
║5 – Luck
╠Skills════════════════════════
║23 – Barter (Cha)
║17 – Danmaku (Agi)
║19 – Explosives (Per)
║17 – Guns (Agi)
║19 – Lockpick (Per)
41 – Magic (Int)
║17 – Medicine (Int)
║13 – Melee (Str)
║17 – Outdoorsman (End)
║17 – Science & Repair (Int)
32 – Sneak (Agi)
45 – Speech (Cha)
║[Note: Skills in bold are Tag skills.]
╠Traits/Perks══════════════════
What's in a Name – Acquire Karma at x2 rate.
Animal Magnetism – Register more highly on animal's Per
║when not hidden; may affect disposition of animal & beast youkai.
Chem Resistant – Chems work half as long, but are only half
║as addictive.
╟──────────────────────────────
Bloody Mess – Things around you tend to die more messily;
║+5% damage.
╟──────────────────────────────
║[Note: Individual Traits, Perks, and Skills can by be scrutinized
║further; e.g., “[x] Pip-Fairy:Status:TRAIT_NAME”]
╚══════════════════════════════

╔Inventory═════════════════════
╟─Equipment────────────────────
Vault ⑨ Jumpsuit / 1.0 lb. / 70% CND / 1 DR
“The Princess' Smile” [holstered] / 3.0 lb. / 97% CND / 10 DAM
║➥DAM↓ ROF↑↑↑ WHP↑
╟─Usable───────────────────────
║Paracelsus' Liber de Nymphis... / 5.0 lb.
║Platter of Cookies / 2.0 lb. / +5 HP
╟─Other────────────────────────
║Greenbacks ($42) / 0.0 lb.
║Switchcomb / 0.5 lb.
║Bobblehead—Perception / +1 Perception / 0.0 lb.
╟─Ammo─────────────────────────
Energy Cell(s) 30
╟──────────────────────────────
║[Note: Items in bold are currently equipped.]
║[Note: Individual listed items may scrutinized further; e.g., “[x] Pip-║Fairy:Inventory:ITEM_NAME”]
╚══════════════════════════════

╔Notes═════════════════════════
║Sorted by: Date / Time / Origin / Subject
╟──────────────────────────────
║✉ 10/21/2277, 18:22JST, SysAdm, “Hellenistic Elements I”
║➥Message Body: “Seeing as you can't shoot for shit, or punch you
║way out of a wet paper bag, you might want to study this, Max. It's
║the magic I as a fairy am most familiar with and the Wastes least
║familiar with, so it's therefore the magic most suited to you.
║Make sure to return it after you read it!
║Cheers, Dai!”
║➥Message saved, read.
╟──────────────────────────────
║✍ 10/21/2277, 18:05JST, Note, “Flyleaf Bibliography”
║➥Note Body: “This is the list of related texts that Miss Ellen wrote
║down on the flyleaf of the the Liber de Nymphis:
Physiologus and the Gensokyo Chronicle: A Comparative
Analysis, Hieda no Ajukyu (稗田阿住求)
Voynich Manuscript: A Lunarian Translation, Eirin Yagokoro
Magi in Greek Antiquity: Orpheus, Pythagoras, Empedocles,
║Patchouli Knowledge
║[There's more titles, but they're gibberish, or coded.]
║➥Note saved, read.
╟──────────────────────────────
║✇ 10/21/2277, 14:40JST, HoloDoc, '”Vault Dweller's Survival Guide”
║➥Description: Document Yue gave to prepare for the Wastes
║➥Cannot be read at this time.
║➥Document saved, unread.
╟──────────────────────────────
║[Note: You shouldn't expect be able to read anything substantial
║in length without being able to give your undivided attention.]
╚══════════════════════════════

>>84742
>>84764

You'll found out what happened to the SA characters in the Vault ⑥ quest. All Anon can say now is that Okuu's prominent role in the events leading up to the War is a matter of public record.


>>84838
>We aren't leaving anytime soon probably, but yes, going through them at some point is a necessary thing to do.

The first chance you have to leave without Karma loss is the day after tomorrow (in-game), during the Bicentennial Internment Celebration. After that, you have Armistice Day on November 11, and then Thanksgiving nothing really until Christmas. Obviously, time-skip & montage would be in effect for much of that.

Anyway, real update tomorrow.
>> No. 85081
>Voynich Manuscript

FFFFFFFFFFF
>> No. 85083
>>85072

I love firmware updates.
>> No. 85084
>>Hieda no Ajukyu

Oh, yeah, forgot about that. The Hieda line would still be around...

You are now imagining Akyu taking the place of the narrator during the intro sequence to Fallout 3.

Also, inb4 "Gensokyo capitol preservation society".
Pfft. Like hell I'm giving her Licoln's Repeater.
>> No. 85088
>>85084
Although it'd be a stretch saying that's not definite, the Hieda line does have to make a special reincarnation request to the Yama, so it's not automatic.
>> No. 85093
>>85084

But the 19th incarnation? How long do you wager she'll live?
>> No. 85095
>>85093
it may or may not be awwwright.
>> No. 85106
>>85093

10 generations over the years sets the lower limit of the average lifespan of each Akyu to about 25
>> No. 85117
>>85106

;_;
>> No. 85153
Update coming today I hope?
>> No. 85161
>>85106

Still not auto-loli status.
>> No. 85348
Updates by Wednesday, hell or high water.
>> No. 85361
Looking forward to it
>> No. 85500
Not going to make the self-set deadline, but I won't sleep until I've got this update nailed down.
>> No. 85502
>>85500
Do your best, bro! You've got our support.
>> No. 85527
File 12410927911.jpg - (130.23KB , 450x600 , ellen noble.jpg ) [iqdb]
85527
>[x] You're still not to sure on the specifics of being half-youkai. Maybe that creepy noodle stand lady could give you a different perspective?
>[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨⓪⓪⓪
>- [x] Dai chatter topics? (write-in)
>- - [x] Your newfound knowledge regarding your past
>- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
>- - [x] This strange connection you seem to have regarding fairies

The suites seem to see little foot traffic. It should be safe to talk here.
"Dai."
It takes a few moments before her figure flickers onto the screen. "...Uh huh?"
"This book, did you have Ellen give me this one specifically?
"Ah, no actually. The 'note' didn't specify, only that it be one of the restricted texts and one personally suited to you."
"And you expected Miss Ellen to exercise good judgment? She couldn't even remember who my Mother was.”
“Cut her a break. Has she ever mistaken you for someone else?”
“Come to think of it, no, but I'm sure she's forgotten plenty of times who I am though.”
“Really? Did she ever refer to you as anything other than 'Maximilian'? Anything that would suggest she doesn't remember who you were, like 'sir' or 'mister' or 'young man' or 'boy'?”
“No,” you concede. “But there have been plenty of times where she freezes up completely, with that vacant look in her eyes.”
“And then what happens?”
“Well, nothing. Sometimes she comes out of it, other times you can snap her out of it, but other times—“
“You walk away.”
Whatever she's driving at, you don't like it.“Yes, Dai.”
“Because...?”
“She's wasting my time. Like you're doing now.”
“Waiting for Miss Ellen to recognize you is a waste of your time? What do you have to do, Max?”
“...” 'Brood and ruminate alone in my room alone' is the answer. But she's trying to make a monster out of you, and you won't let her.
“So, I don't think that's the reason.”
Sarcastic, “Oh, I don't suppose you know the answer then?”
“I think...” The wireframe of the fairy changes, or rather, shows a new element—a beating, glyphic heart appropriately over the left breast. “That when you see her like that...” The screen zooms in on the heart so that you can't see any lines of the model. “Or when you're reminded of her like that...” A wireframe hand comes from the left of the screen and wraps its digits around the heart; now the heart struggles to beat. “It makes you feel like your heart is breaking...” The hand lets go, as if it suddenly realized what it was doing, but it's too late. A line appears on the glyph, running zig-zag down the center. It splits into two halves, which then fade into nothingness as the hand cringes in horror. “So you walk away from it...” The hand flees, trailing cartoon sweat drops in its wake. “Because feeling nothing is better than feeling too much.” Blackness.
It takes a few seconds of staring at the blank screen before you can parse what you've just seen and think of a response. It's almost hypnosis, how she does this.
“What would you have me do? I can't help her. Nobody can. What's wrong with running away from something terrible that you can do nothing about?”
“Whoever said you couldn't do anything about it, you idiot!” The wireframe pops back into view, scowling.
“Huh?”
“They put me into a computer! They took my soul and etched it into fucking silicon! Adding on some external storage isn't impossible; it might not even require magic to do! But, see, that brings us to the problem, Stretch.” The fairy points up.
There's a ceiling.
“They are all up there, and we...” She points down.
A floor.
“...are down here.”
Oh right. The whole leaving the Vault thing. Yeah you should probably get on that.
Capisce?”
“...Yeah, yeah, capisce.”
Looks like finding Miss Ellen some external memory (ha) is another responsibility added to the pile. Good thing there's no time limit on doing all this.
“You have two days.”
“That's Tuesda—but that's the 200th annual internment celebration!”
And the fairy just nods as if you were in agreement. Of which you are definitely not in, because you refuse to deprive yourself of corn dogs and funnel cake and lots of pretty girls in yukata, looking for any excuse at all to jump your bones. It's not like you're some social butterfly, but come on, everyone will be there!
Oh fuck.
“Everyone will be there.”
And the fairy smiles and nods more vigorously. “We got one shot, then nadda 'til at Armistice Day. And that's not a sure thing like this is.”
She's right. Sure there'd be a speech by the Overseer, as it is an official function and holiday, but you wouldn't expect every security guard to be totally wasted like this Tuesday. Hell, with those fake poppies on their breast, they might be more patriotic and trigger-happy .
“If you're not ready by then, you're not ready. But if you aren't, your every waking hour will be spent with me, working you through a meat grinder, to make you ready.” The short animation of a stick-figure being run through an extruder with a maniacal Daiyousei at the crank is both instructive and encouraging.
“...Well, what the hell am I standing around here for?”
“Fuckin' A!”


>> No. 85528
File 124109339764.jpg - (143.85KB , 512x384 , Daiyousei srs.jpg ) [iqdb]
85528
“Do you know where you're going, Max?”
You step inside one of many underused men's rooms. They're very handy as hideaways. Strange that they haven't simply converted them to women's restrooms, but you've theorized it's to reinforce gender identity in an environment where there's a gross disparity in the number of each sex.
“Not really, I just had to get away from all that... taupe.”
I'll take fiberglass and stainless steel over mildewing wallpaper and matted carpeting any day.
“Uh, that odd fixation on a traditionally soothing color aside, you're closer to the fairy district than anywhere else.”
You throw your arms up. “I can't get away.”
“What are rambling on about?”
“Fairies. No matter where I go.”
“Well excuse us for living here. What exactly is your problem?”
Her tone and expression betray curiosity through a front of offense
“Maybe I'm reading to much into things but there's been a pattern of fey involvement in... everything. Like this tome for example,” you say, opening randomly to an eyecatching illumination of fairy-like beings riding on waves.
“Well, no shit! Your life is clay I molded.”
“That doesn't explain everything. It may not all be coincidence, but it's not all conspiracy either. You've already proven yourself much too incompetent for that.” You get a wince out her.
“Alright, tell me what are these 'patterns' are so I can dispel them and prevent this from becoming a complex for you.”
“Okay, 1. I'm a modern changeling, robbed from the cradle even before I was born.”
“You don't have any deformities though.”
“No, but I did have a tail.”
“Point.”
“Even though I wouldn't consider myself 'deformed' I am definitely different from the norm: Male, Caucasian, a half-youkai with a half-pronounceable last name—seriously, 'Max Rumpelstiltskin?'”
“Hahaha—oh, heh, sorry. Go on.”
“2. There was what you said, about selecting DNA that is linked having fairy sympathies. Apparently, it's noticeable enough that Ren thought I had some kind... paraphilia.
“Yeah, but you don't really—“
“Of course not.” Sure you've had fantasies, but fantasies are just that, right? “But it brings me to my next point. 3. That it's not true means that there's some other reason Renko would have to make this assertion, which suggests that it is not so much how I treat fairies, but how they treat me.”
“That would be because of me, Max; I am worshiped as a goddess by a vast majority of the fairies in Vault ⑨, and while fairies ain't exactly the most pious of populations, I possess faith enough to empower my shrine maiden with magic far beyond her personal capacity.”
“But there is no connection to me there; you couldn't have revealed your identity to more than a few of them.”
“Ah well, there's a few things we can attribute this to. Firstly, I am physically with you. A goddess' proxy is going draw a lot of awe and attention, even if they don't actually recognize what is there. In fact, I spend a good amount of effort suppressing it, lest you trip every magic detection alarm within the entire complex.”
“Oh?”
“Well, it comes to mind that Mary and I hadn't really had a chance to field test the transfer process, but the odds it would result in some kind of catastrophe were within acceptable marg—”
“Actually, forget I asked,” stopping her with the sign language for 'do-not-want'. “The Pip-Fairy effect explains the last few days, but what about before that?”
“There is another explanation: While you haven't been seen associated with me directly, you certainly are with my shrine maiden.”
“But Mary and I hadn't seen each other much. Not in the last few years.”
“Fairies are like old ladies in their gossip, Max; they'll drawing out spurious extrapolations from the tiniest scraps of information. Much like you're doing now.”
Tch. “4. The G.O.A.S.T. specified 'fairy work shift supervisor'.”
“And you indeed are quite qualified. As well as you're qualified for a dozen other careers that are in reality sinecures.”
“Yes, but why that position? I even voted to turn the fairy in to the Overseer.”
“And what result did that give you originally, before you decided to pull a fast one on Miss Ellen?”
“...Marriage counselor.”
“Q.E.D.”
“I'm not convinced.”
“Look Max, this isn't a mystery,” the Pip-Fairy sighs, “You're a male, half-youkai human who knows some important people, and you destroyed Thanksgiving forever.” The screen zooms in to define her eyes more clearly. “You are handsome, and you are charismatic.”
“I don't talk to people.”
“You're stoic, and you have an economy with words.”
“I'm a loner.”
“You're a rugged individualist.”
“I don't do anything important.”
“You're mysterious.”
“Okay if there's so much infatuation, why doesn't anyone approach me? Wouldn't there be confessions or the like?”
“Because you are out of reach. Because it would draw the ire of a countless number of your peers. Because fairy & human romance is taboo. Because they're fairies, and therefore twice as flighty as any human girl. Tell me, did Mary ever confess to you? Did Ren? Did anyone?”
“Well, I mean, I guess not. It's usually pretty easy, but then again, I've always been the one doing the approaching.” Huh. That's... a little humiliating.
“These are prescribed gender roles, Max; hammered into you from womb to tomb.”
“Okay. There's just one thing that bothers me.”
“What?”
“I've never been pranked.”
“Oh, of course you have!” She dismisses you with the wave of a hand, “You've probably just forgotten.”
“No. I noticed it when I was a kid. I thought it'd be like chickenpox; once and then I'm through. Even played stupid for a while, like walking while reading a book, running around with my shoelaces untied, or carrying an overloaded lunch tray through especially congested areas in the cafeteria. But it never came. I left my stuff laying around. Left my door unlocked, belongings out in the open. It never came. You're not pulling a prank on me are you?”
“What? No! No, that would be—“
“Horrific, yes I know. Which brings me to another allusion to chickenpox: That it's best to get it as a child, because it can be bad as an adult. How bad? It has to be pretty bad if people are trying to get their kids sick. Later, I'd wonder, was this was the prank, the obsession that resulted from not being pranked? And now with the tale you gave me, about how I was born, maybe my life is the prank? Maybe existence itself is the prank—not a malevolent delusion conjured by Descartes' demon, but the capricious glamor of some nameless fairy, playing with the mind of an invalid through a hospital window.”
“Max...” The fairy is giving you the eyes. “That's really fucked up.”
“Sorry.”
“Really, if this is the sort of stuff you cook up when you're left alone...”
“I said I'm sorry.”
“No, no, Max. I'm the one who should be sorry, for letting you get so confused. But that's okay! Because... because I'll be with you every step of the way!” She gives you her best fake smile and a thumbs-up.
“Right, where were we going again?”
“Fairy quarter, if you can handle it.”
“You grossly underestimate my ability to work through an existential crisis, Dai.”


>> No. 85529
File 124109447655.jpg - (296.87KB , 600x388 , kogasa crowd.jpg ) [iqdb]
85529
“Well, we're here. You want me to show you around or something?”
“No. At least not presently. I'm want to see... what was that woman's name? Kogara?”
“Kogasa Tatara? What for?”
“I know plenty of humans' views on what it means to be half-youkai, but I want to hear about it from a real youkai.”
“Fair enough. You remember how to get there?”
“Yeah, right in front of the Wall of Lost Chairs. Can't miss it.”
“Well then, I'll tell you a little about Kogasa on the way.”
“Sounds good.”
“First of all, she is a karakasa, a kind of tsukumogami.”
“That's what? Animated tools, right?”
“Right. Specifically, an umbrella, here.”
“That would explain the appearance of her stall.”
“Right, but what you have to remember that she is the stall.”
“I thought you said she was an umbrella?”
“Just listen to me. Part of the stall, the roof, is a part of her. Even when she doesn't seem physically connected to it. It reacts to touch, like a flytrap, so watch where your hands go. And god help you, if she turns hostile, for any reason, remember that her 'body' itself is a distraction; the real danger will be the umbrella.”
“She's not that dangerous is she?”
“No, so long as you don't do anything stupid. Now, she likes to scare people, so if you're 'attacked' without provocation, it's likely she's playing with you, so go along with it rather than drawing a gun. And whatever you do, don't comment on the color of her umbrella. It's a sore subject.”
This is the alley. The chairs are stacked at the end, a few hundred feet in.
“I will be watching, but won't be in communication. Good luck.”
A cold fog hugs the floor, likely coming from a projector. The proprietor obviously has a flare for the dramatic.


Best to be prepared...
[ ] Leave the pistol set to danmaku.
[ ] Turn it up to teneleven.

When you greet her...
[ ] You've been itching for a fight; do something to piss her off.
[ ] Nothing wrong with just ordering some sake.
[ ] Ask if she'd like to share these freshly baked cookies with you—Mary won't mind.
[ ] Show off the 'surprise' you received in your soup bowl.

Discussion Topics:
[ ] Write-in



Sunday, October 21, 2277
6:40 PM JST

Queued for future chatter:
>[x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
>> No. 85531
Best to be prepared...
[x] Turn it up to eleven.

When you greet her...
[x] You've been itching for a fight; do something to piss her off.
[x] Nothing wrong with just ordering some sake.
[x] Ask if she'd like to share these freshly baked cookies with you—Mary won't mind.
[x] Show off the 'surprise' you received in your soup bowl.

Discussion Topics:
[x] "What's with the god awful color of your shop?"

I'm helping
>> No. 85558
Best to be prepared...
[x] Turn it up to eleven.

When you greet her...
[x] Nothing wrong with just ordering some sake.
[x] Thank her for the 'suprise'. It was well recieved.

Discussion Topics:
[x] What does it mean to be a youkai?
[x] What is the current perception of youkai, and especially half-youkai, like for humans and other youkais?
[x] What is it like being one of the few youkai in a place filled with fairies and humans?

We should also totally turn Max's fantasies into reality~ Not fully satisfied with the discussion topics but I burned most of my creativity for the day doing write-ins for other stories. I'll see what comes to me once I have some more time to think about it.
>> No. 85560
Best to be prepared...
[x] Turn it up to eleven.

When you greet her...
[x] Nothing wrong with just ordering some sake.
[x] Thank her for the 'suprise'. It was well recieved.

Discussion Topics:
[x] What does it mean to be a youkai?
[x] What is the current perception of youkai, and especially half-youkai, like for humans and other youkais?
[x] What is it like being one of the few youkai in a place filled with fairies and humans?
>> No. 85583
Best to be prepared...
[X] Leave the pistol set to danmaku.

When you greet her...
[X] Nothing wrong with just ordering some sake.
[X] Show off the 'surprise' you received in your soup bowl.

Discussion Topics:
[X]"Now, say we were above ground and it happened to rain. Would you get soaked, or...?"
>> No. 85592
Best to be prepared...
[x] Turn it up to eleven.

When you greet her...
[x] Nothing wrong with just ordering some sake.
[x] Thank her for the 'suprise'. It was well recieved.

Discussion Topics:
[x] What does it mean to be a youkai?
[x] What is the current perception of youkai, and especially half-youkai, like for humans and other youkais?
[x] What is it like being one of the few youkai in a place filled with fairies and humans?
>> No. 85601
>>[x] "What's with the god awful color of your shop?"

I really want to vote for this.
I want to know, goddamn it!
>> No. 85603
Best to be prepared...
[x] Turn it up to eleven.

When you greet her...
[x] Nothing wrong with just ordering some sake.
[x] Thank her for the 'suprise'. It was well recieved.

Discussion Topics:
[x] What does it mean to be a youkai?
[x] What is the current perception of youkai, and especially half-youkai, like for humans and other youkais?
[x] What is it like being one of the few youkai in a place filled with fairies and humans?
>> No. 85606
I'm not really voting for this... but, for your consideration:

When you greet her...
[x] You've been itching for a fight; do something to piss her off. (see below)

Discussion Topics:
[x] "So, you're a youkai that surprises people?"
--[x] "What's it like living in a culture that traditionally values psychological horror and suspense over cheap shock tactics?"
[x] Try to make her think about the color of her parasol, but be subtle and underhanded.
--[x] Example: "Those chairs must have been a pain to mauve... Huh? Yeah, that's what I said. 'Move'. Why do you ask?"

Let's REALLY try to rub her the wrong way.
And even if this doesn't win, maybe the writer will be kind enough to grace us with a "alternate BAD END" short.
>> No. 85607
Best to be prepared...nevermind...
[X] Don't bother...if we have to draw, we've already lost.

When you greet her...
[X] Nothing wrong with just ordering some sake.

Discussion Topics:
[X] Yokai, beyond what they are physically
>> No. 85609
File 12411271332.jpg - (2.02KB , 300x300 , mauve.jpg ) [iqdb]
85609
>>85601

Aubergine. Would an 'eggplant' by any other name, be as hideous?

And let us not forget the underside. Pink trying to cross-dress as purple and failing miserably.

Mauve.

The word itself radiates evil.
>> No. 85610
Best to be prepared...
[x] Turn it up to eleven.

When you greet her...
[x] Nothing wrong with just ordering some sake.
[x] Thank her for the 'suprise'. It was well recieved.

Discussion Topics:
[x] What does it mean to be a youkai?
[x] What is the current perception of youkai, and especially half-youkai, like for humans and other youkais?
[x] What is it like being one of the few youkai in a place filled with fairies and humans?
>> No. 85611
>>85606
>>And even if this doesn't win, maybe the writer will be kind enough to grace us with a "alternate BAD END" short.

This, please.
Anon doesn't get to be a douche nearly often enough in the stories on THP. Probably for the same reason that this needs to be written separately.
>> No. 85633
>>85606
>>85611

And my axe.
Do it, faggot.
>> No. 85638
Best to be prepared...
[x] Turn it up to eleven.

When you greet her...
[x] Nothing wrong with just ordering some sake.
[x] Thank her for the 'suprise'. It was well recieved.

Discussion Topics:
[x] What does it mean to be a youkai?
[x] What is the current perception of youkai, and especially half-youkai, like for humans and other youkais?
[x] What is it like being one of the few youkai in a place filled with fairies and humans?
>> No. 85641
>>85611
It would be interesting to see what WOULD have happened, though I don't want to see Max actually do it...perhaps a short description at least, if a wall of text is too much to ask (and I can see why it would be!)
>> No. 85642
>>85641

When this guy makes walls

HE MAKES FUCKING WALLS.
>> No. 85676
Best to be prepared...
[x] Turn it up to eleven.

When you greet her...
[x] Nothing wrong with just ordering some sake.
[x] Thank her for the 'suprise'. It was well recieved.

Discussion Topics:
[x] What does it mean to be a youkai?
[x] What is the current perception of youkai, and especially half-youkai, like for humans and other youkais?
[x] What is it like being one of the few youkai in a place filled with fairies and humans?
>> No. 85678
>opening randomly to an eyecatching illumination of fairy-like beings riding on waves.
You are now imagining a surfing fairy.

Just a note:

I know the characters are all fucking fantastic, and we've got a dozen things to do, but.

We really need to sit down sometime and read the stuff that's been given to us, or else we will find ourselves fucked over hard when it comes to learning how to use magic, or deal with things in the waste.
>> No. 85679
>>85678
I also wanted to add, Mr. Fallout Writer, that I was quite pleased with how Meira turned out. I was expecting Taciturn Surly Bitch, and got something entirely different.
>> No. 85694
If fallout 3 was half as interesting as this is it would have been the greatest game ever.
>> No. 85708
>>85678

Good point.
Normally, I'd suggest thumbing through them tonight before going to sleep, but with Mary and Ren around, that isn't going to happen (nor should it.) So we'd better do it sooner, rather than later.
>> No. 85719
These options are the winners.

>[x] Turn it up to eleven.

>[x] Nothing wrong with just ordering some sake.
>[x] Thank her for the 'surprise'. It was well received.

>[x] What does it mean to be a youkai?
>[x] What is the current perception of youkai, and especially half-youkai, like for humans and other youkais?
>[x] What is it like being one of the few youkai in a place filled with fairies and humans?

Writing will begin when I get enough sleep. As for some of your suggestions, you weren't really flirting with a Bad End here (a few weeks in traction at the worst) the reason for which should be apparent in the next update.
>> No. 85737
>>85678
>>85708
I agree with you guys. I was thinking that tomorrow would be stay-at-home-day. Between the materials we have, the prep we have to do, and the women around us, we have alot of reason to stay home.
>> No. 85906
7 minutes while I replace my tower's power supply. God damn it.
>> No. 85907
>>85906

No problem.
After all, you need a tower before you can build walls.
>> No. 85910
>>85906
Good thinking. It's preferable to power one's tower.
if you didn't you'd be a bit bitter. It'd Make you frown a bit.
You should also consider renewable energy. You know, power that comes from peaceful regions of the world.

Overall, one needs flower tower power to avoid a sour tower power glower.
>> No. 85914
>>85910
SZNKBJSEHGYUJWKWAEF:HJI<GSESETFw

KCHASM

I KNOW THAT WAS YOU

OR NOM

ONE OF YOU CLEVER-TONGUED SONS OF BITCHES
>> No. 85922
>>85910
>>85914

You lost me.
>> No. 85939
>>85914
nope. Just anonymous. not OP anonymous, either.
>> No. 86022
>>85910

If this was a reference to something, it went way the fuck over my head.
>> No. 86127
File 12417556046.jpg - (90.73KB , 600x412 , fallout gary.jpg ) [iqdb]
86127
Screw the rules, I have a notebook.

Walls are being constructed.
>> No. 86162
>>86127

Oh dear.
>> No. 86170
>>86127

I am afeard.
>> No. 86173
>>86162
>>86170
...I know the "screw the rules" part just fine, but I'm not getting the significance of the notebook. I assume this is because I never played Fallout.

Someone mind cluing me (and anyone else similarly confused) in?
>> No. 86174
>>86173


Actually, it's the picture that scared me.
But, as you said, you would have to play Fallout 3 to understand it fully.
>> No. 86185
>>86173

What >>86174 said, the picture more than the post. It can be explained, but you can only really understand through experience.
>> No. 86195
I had just assumed it was a refrence to yu-gi-oh abridged's "screw the rules, I have money"...
>> No. 86206
File 124196390230.png - (661.90KB , 672x848 , kogasa boo.png ) [iqdb]
86206
Kogasa Tatara. You've matched wits with her, laudably according to Dai, but rhetorical gymnastics does not a sharp mind make. It only tells you that she is one who thrives on conflict, at least against humans. Her 'winning' remark could be a simple matter of pride, or it could be a provocation. Human-youkai interaction have historically been that of conflict, but according to Dai they moved from killing to rutting in record time. You, or rather, your race, is the precipitate of this change. Then again, mating and courtship itself developed from modified predator-prey communication. 'Is this fear?' you consider as you turn the power dial on the laser pistol higher than it should be able go, but if it is only fear, then... why do you have an erection?
“Perhaps it is only anticipation?” This is the charm you whisper to yourself as you enter the misty alleyway. It is indeed only fog—the clammy feeling on your skin (no doubt sensitized by living in humidity and temperature controlled environment) and the lack of a scent, which strikes you as odd, being that there was a noodle stand around here. Did she pack up for the day and go home?
“Hello? Kogasa?” You call out for her.
You listen to the echo and continue through this blasted fog. If only you could blow this mist away and the campy noir atmosphere along with it. When it finally clears, you're standing eyeball-to-splinter with the Wall of Chairs. There's an allegory to be made from this, you're sure. Blindly groping about for a landmark or stability until one day you're blindsided by a hideous amalgam of presswood and aluminum—suddenly, an obstruction appears on life's walkway! Nauseating conceit aside, you do pick up the smell of noodles, albeit faintly. Is it possible she lives atop this odd tower? You can't see the top of it; mist higher up prevents this. Testing the hand-holds in various places, you find the thing entirely solid, as if the metal bits had been welded together, but even so, should you make an attempt to climb it? You're not all that strong honestly, nor are you certain that you could catch yourself if you slipped. Well, give it a try at least. You set down your book and the cookie tray.



Oh Jesus. Oh God. You're only ten feet up, but it may as well be fifty for all you care. No, climbing is something you'll have to leave to your simian ancestors (assuming they aren't extinct). You'll just climb your way back down, carefully, very carefully, and forget this whole exercise. Yes, that's just what you'll do.
And then something large and slimy wraps itself around your midsection. You don't scream immediately. You're torn from the wall, taken upwards at speeds that make you think you'll be slung into the the massive industrial fans in the ceiling, where you'd quickly be diced to ribbons. This, you as well abide silently. But when you stop moving, looking up to see a massive gullet, purple-pink and lined with spirals of sharp, white teeth, and a big, long tongue leading into it like a red-carpeted walkway into Hell—that is when you do your screaming. Wrenching your eyes shut so as to rid yourself of this fear-based paralysis, you struggle to free your hands to reach your gun or cast a spell, but the tentacle has a firm gras—
“Boo!”
You open one eye to see the smiling face of that shady noodle girl, Kogasa, who herself has only one eye open, the re—teal one. Odd, for a split second you thought it was the red one. Well, speaking of red, there is no tongue wrapped around you; rather, you're being held in the woman's arms, bridal-style, as if you weighed nothing. Feeling your jumpsuit, the surface is damp, but not enough that you'll attribute it to more than the humidity and your own sweat.
“You really scared me, Kogasa,” you tell her plainly with a half-amused smile on your face as she sets you back upright.
She emits a high-pitched giggle and raps herself on the head. Must be a personal trademark. “Old habits,” she says with both eyes open, “They die hard.”
You're standing now. While the chairs underfoot seem to have been wedged together tightly by an master Tetris player, it's still not exactly solid ground. The lack of any kind of support railing doesn't help you orient yourself, but you are provided quite a view. It really is a warehouse, with containers spaced evenly and stacked stories-high and trussed along a steel I-beam skeleton. The lack of light emanating from most of the containers at and above your level tells you that many of them are either empty or still being used for storage. And the fans, they're much louder and much closer. Except for the one situated directionally above, which you seems to have been irreparably damaged—partially obscured by a fog, the blades are twisted up and mangled, like someone tossed a girder into it. Heh. From this height? Maybe Superman.
“So, Max, are you here on social visit?” Kogasa steps back into your attention, after giving you time to take it in.
“Something like that. I was hoping your stand would be open, to have a drink, but it seems I've been misinformed as to the hours.”
“Ah,” she gives you a consolatory frown; her eyes flit to your Pip-Boy, “I suppose that means my friend isn't with you today.”
“Daiyousei?”
“Yes, the fairy goddess. My friend.” Her frown turns morose, but she perks right back up again, smiling brightly. “Oh! But you're my friend! Not as much a fairy, or a god, or an '-ess',” she adds, looking at you now with curiosity, circling your person. Which gives you time to take her in, yourself. She's definitely strangely dressed. Her hair and clothes are the color of a fish tank, contrasting markedly with the folded-down eggplant umbrella in her left hand. Weird, it must be a different umbrella, because it's much smaller than the overhang of her noodle stand. Her eyes are her standout feature, dichromatic and the red one possessing a marked luminescence, further emphasized by a strange habit of observation wherein she looks with both eyes open, then one eye closed, then switching. Does she have vision trouble?
“No, much less fairy. Less divine. More human. And more '-man' than 'hu-'.” Her voice changes in pitch, tempo, and volume capriciously, like a wind chime—musical without being melodic.
“Half-youkai, you mean?”
“Half-human, 'hu-' means,” she grins wryly.
“Yes. Well, err... Kogasa, I'm interested in discussing the particulars, concerning that, actually. I'd pull up a chair, but I'm worried I'd demolish the entire structure.” You'd laugh at your lame joke, but Kogasa does indeed pull up a chair, stepping back and sliding out a metal folding chair right at her feet. “Oh, thank you.” Convenient, but a little disturbing. Is it possible she lives up here? “Kogasa, this might sound like a stupid question...”
“Mmm?” The folding metal chair is one thing; the wicker rocker she apparently took out of nowhere while you were unfolding it is another entirely.
“Why... am I sitting on a gigantic tower of furniture?” That started off as question about youkai, but it seems your ability to suspend disbelief has reached hard limits.
“Hmm, well...” She stops rocking, knits her brow—the expression she's wearing the rigid pantomime of a person in deep thought. “I reckon it's got something to do with the rain.”
“What?” What?
>> No. 86207
File 124196406651.png - (176.55KB , 443x495 , kogasa2.png ) [iqdb]
86207
“That.” She reaches her hand out to the air. “Another.”
Mimicking her gesture, you find that there does seem to be a water leak. “Busted pipes?”
“No.” She puts up her umbrella; now it's coming down. “Rain. Every Sunday, at around vespers.”
Whatever the cause, you get up to move your chair next to hers, under the canopy. About the size of a golf umbrella, this one is affixed to her chair. It's still the exact colors of the others, but it doesn't seem to sporting any teeth inside, just some white contrast stitching. It's been patched in so many places, you can't tell where the original is (in this way it's much like Ren's leather jacket), but it keeps the rain out. You hear the drops beating on it, over the noise of the fans—how is this possible?
“For how long has this gone on?”
“Since this tower got here, and the fan above stopped working, one-hundred odd years ago.”
“Well, if it's not the pipes, then what? Magic?” Sounds like a lot of hassle for not much benefit, even for this screwy, loner youkai.
“It's a miracle.” She's smiling faintly, but her eyes are closed, and you can't tell if she's being facetious.
Daiyousei. Right. That explains it. “Your 'fairy goddess friend', does this?”
She shakes her head, and starts to rock back and forth slowly. The shadow cast by the combination of the umbrella and the angular lighting swings like a pendulum. “Not that kind of miracle.”
“Then what?”
“Can't really say. Don't want to jinx it.”
“Huh?” Superstition? In a youkai? Really?
She opens an eye to you, green, “It's best to think of it as a miracle. Like your ascent and that tower of chairs of furniture you were so curious about. Out of your control, but worth experiencing, even if only to avoid a similar future experience. Close your eyes and think of a house of cards.”
“Okay.” Humoring her, you close your eyes, and do just that.
“Can you see it?”
“The house of cards? Yes.”
“Creation, ex nihilo. A miracle. Hallelujah,” she congratulates you sardonically.
“Very funny.” You open your eyes to express how unamused you are.
Eyes which are met by both of hers. The red pupil must emit a sneer-ablating laser, because you immediately shut the fuck up.
“Closed,” she instructs, and you obey. “Can you still see it?”
“...Yes.”
“What is keeping it from falling down? Your mind? The lack of wind? The lack of gravity?”
“Well I'd say it's just a physical property of the cards. They can support their weight. When put together in a certain patt—“
“That is enough.” The direction of her voice, followed by the trail her fingernail makes on your jumpsuit between your shoulder blades, tells you she's no longer in her recliner. “Now, do you know how to build a house of cards?”
You try placing some cards together in your mind, but without any knowledge how it would work, it's just fantasy. “No.”
“Can you find out by taking it apart, piece by piece? Inspecting the attributes of each card—mass, extension, proportion, direction?”
You look at cards in your mind. You have a fairly good mental picture of poker cards, even little things like which direction the pips go, and what king is holding what, but this doesn't tell you how to stack them. And 'reverse engineering' a house of cards is ridiculous—even in your mind they fall apart at a touch. “No.”
“So you know what the pieces are, you know what the whole is, but you don't know how to move from the pieces to the whole, only the whole to the pieces.”
“Right.”
“Yet you know that it is possible to move from the pieces to the whole. You know there is a method. That building a house of cards is not just fantasy, even though these cards are only in your mind.”
“Yes.”
“The method, however, is difficult perform, and maybe even impossible to learn on your own. Otherwise, building it would not be considered a challenge or even at all of interest, You know the magic. Everybody knows the magic; you need the trick.”
“But a trick is still a trick. I'm not producing anything real by thinking of a house of cards.”
“I see. And how do you produce magic flame?”
“By thinking it.” Point.
“And can you imagine a flame without creating it?”
“I have to will it and think it.”
“And in order to do that, you must assume it can exist in the first place. Is lack of belief not what one must overcome to produce magic?”
“Yes, but real magic doesn't work that way. It's not mystical; it's explainable in terms of science.”
She snorts. “Then explain in terms of science how to summon up a fireball.”
“It's got to do with the caloric... um, there's a thermodynamic... well, I don't know exactly, but someone does, I'm sure.”
“You don't know the explanation, but you feel certain there is one. This rain too, you are certain, is explainable.”
“Right. Because I know it's still raining, even if I don't know why.”
“But are you certain it's raining?”
You'd look to check, but she's now placed both hands over your eyes. There's the pitter-patter of raindrops. You think. It's hard to hear over the fans, and your breathing, and the blood rushing through your ears. Maybe it is only a glamor?
“Now that you mention it, it's probably impossible for it to rain underground.”
“Oh. There isn't a scientific explanation for this?”
“Honestly, I can't think of one. Besides magic. Or leaky pipes.”
“So it isn't possible that due to the unique conditions, being a tower of pressed wood that absorbs large amounts of water from the damp cavern air—air that circulates through this sector at a volume of hundreds of thousands of cubic feet a day—some of this moisture rises through the updraft created allowed by the broken fan, ultimately allowing moisture to sequester in the vent, so that the humidity builds to the point of saturation, resulting in this unique meteorological phenomenon we call 'rain'?”
She takes her hands off your eyes, allowing you to see the rain falling in front of you.
“This was all information you'd already observed. Knowing all this, you still find yourself surprised at the answer. You had the cards...”
But not the trick. Or rather, you didn't know there was a trick. You wonder if there is a point she is trying to make here, eying the womans as she walks over to an armoire apparently embedded face-up in the tower surface, throws open the cabinet doors, and rummaging through for something in the rain. It's a testimony to the preternatural grace of youkai that she doesn't slip on the wet surface or trip on its highly irregular topography. She makes her way back, bouncing back as if there were a hopscotch pattern outlined on the floor. You note the tray she's bearing in one hand above her head, and her other hand holds nothing because she left it right above oh fuck—no, it's okay. It hasn't transformed into the gaping hellmouth you saw or thought you saw earlier, though you do note the curious red string for the first time. It's tied around what looks like a ring of jade, probably a mechanism to quickly close the canopy. Well, whatever, you're not going to mess with it.
Kogasa pulls up a folding stand from the ground about halfway on her way back to set the tray upon. The contents of the white ceramic jar are unmistakable, and you indulge almost immediately after she fills your cup, making a cursory toast to the view. Incredibly, Kogasa and her attire seems to have been completely unaffected by the rain. It's not as if she's been waterproofed; rather than bead up and roll off, it's as if the drops avoid her completely. The tray she was carrying is certainly wet.
“How do you do that?”
“Do what?” Green eye.
“Not get wet even though you've been out in the rain.”
“What rain?” She drops her smile. Red eye.
You point your finger up, only for it to be met with something warm and slimy and moving.
Don't look up.
>> No. 86208
File 124196465932.jpg - (283.80KB , 521x760 , vault rafters1.jpg ) [iqdb]
86208
You mustn't look up.
“Hahahahaha!” You must have put on a nice face for her, because the presence removes itself from your now shaking finger.
You sigh in relief, refilling your cup, “You really like scaring people, don't you?”
“I'm sorry, I can't help it! It's too much fun.”
“I'll admit, I really thought you were going to eat me for a moment.”
“God, no! I haven't survived the last two centuries trapped down here by eating people, have I?”
“I don't know, honestly. Sort of what I came up here to find out,” you say, thinking back to why you changed the setting on the laser pistol.
“Well, allow me to clear your mind of doubt. Every youkai in the Vault passes a rigorous personality and education screening before they are admitted to the roster as a resident. We're not much different from any other Vault resident, really. We eat the same food. Breathe the same air. Drink the same sake.”
Considering her outlandish attire and bizarre personality, you have some doubts as to the veracity of her claims about the normality of Vault youkai. Still, she must know a thing or two about the human diet if she can operate a noodle stand.
“But you weren't always that way.”
Her amused smile falters momentarily, but she adopts a cannier one to replace it. “I see. You don't want to know about me. You want to know about monsters.”
“That's not entirely...“
She makes the same high-pitched giggle she did when she spirited you up here. “Relax, boy. If there's something in humanity for youkai to find disagreeable, it certainly won't be their boundless capacity for curiosity.”
“No, really, I'm not just here for kicks; I just want some perspective. All my life I'm told I'm half-youkai, without really knowing what it is that means.”
“What kind of youkai if you don't mind me asking?”
“A kirin.
“What? Really?” She cocks her head in surprise.
That response is becoming a bit tiresome. “Her name was Rin Satsuki.”
“Oh? Oh! Right! Right! You must... Right. I knew that. I was testing you.” She waves her hands at you, chuckling. Seems even youkai forget things.
“Did you know her?”
“Hardly. Boy, if you wanted to know what it means to be her kid, you came to the wrong youkai; why, we're as different as night & day,” as if such a thing were obvious.
“Oh?” But she can still tell you something, even if just by telling you what she isn't.
“I mean even the way she went out—no offense, but that's just not something a youkai does.”
“You've never had children?”
“What? Of course not. You really don't know anything about youkai do you?”
You shrug your shoulders sheepishly. It's true.
“Look, the term youkai is a catch-all. These days, the only real commonality is that we aren't human.”
“So you don't eat people?”
“Oh no, most of us do; I imagine, it's even more the case than they used to, with the more stringent requirements on living, that is.”
“What do you mean 'more stringent requirements'?”
She falters for a moment. “Er... well, it's hard to talk about those days in any way that'd make sense, because you haven't lived it, but for example we didn't always have to eat.”
“But I thought eating people is what defined youkai as a race historically?”
“Yes, that's what we did, but it wasn't a requirement to live, or, rather, it was, but not in the physical sense of nutrition.”
“This has to do with 'faith' doesn't it?”
“Yeah. Youkai, well, we were the physical embodiment of human fear and superstition, the things that go bump in the night allowed form. If humans weren't afraid of us, then we didn't exist; I suppose it would be similar to the fairy Vault depressive syndrome.”
“A literal existential crisis.”
“Though many had their own legends and myth that allowed them otherwise. Kirin for example would not be considered man-eaters.”
You remember pieces of the story Dai was telling you in the shower stall. “But what about when Spell Card Rules were introduced? Didn't things change?”
“Yes, they did. When the Great Border was constructed, the requirements became no longer as strict, as Gensokyo was to be a faith sinkhole that was to 'allow all things', according to Yakumo, but eating people was still part of many youkai' sense of identity. That human flesh tastes good probably didn't help, either.”
“Really? What does it taste like?”
You're only struck by how morbid your question is after Kogasa gives you an odd sort of look and a smile. “A lot like pork, actually. You sure your mother was a kirin, kiddo?”
“Positive, actually. Anyway, about Spell Card Rules...”
“Yeah. There were still widely publicized accounts of incidents after that, but it was treated a lot like an animal mauling would be on the Outside: The Hakurei would involve herself, and the perpetrator would be caught, or a suitable scapegoat found, and there was only one punishment on the books for youkai then.”
“Extermination.”
“Bingo. Things changed somewhat when the Lunarian Menace was revealed. Humans and youkai had worked together at times of mutual hardship, like during the Vampire Invasion, but it was the first time it seemed there was need of any formal arrangement. This was at the time Gensokyo first became publicly known to the Outside, and all the human nations of the world all came around to treat, especially the United States.”
“Because of the Youkai Invasion of Luna?”
“Yeah. The youkai had fought the Lunarians before, a long, long time ago, way before my time; they lost bad, but they were still hailed as the Earth's first line of defense. To the Outside, youkai were funny-looking humans with superpowers.”
“And were the youkai offended by this?”
“Hell no! You spend your whole life trying to get some recognition from some dick-backward village of blacksmiths and rice farmers, and now that the world is worshiping the ground you walk, you gonna tell them that you're an umbrella? Shit.” She drains her cup and slams it on the tray, and then refills it; if you hadn't been holding your own at the time, it might have spilt.
“What about the end of the world? You must harbor some animosity against humanity for that.”
“No. Well, I mean... No. Not like we thought it could actually happen.” She shrugs. “In fact, I guess I still can't really believe it.”
“Do you think most youkai took as well to Vault life as you have?”
“I don't know, probably. It was easier on us younger ones who weren't all that worldly or powerful to begin with. Others, like your mother, seemed to have had a much worse time of it. Like I said, Max, I didn't know her, and to be honest, I don't think anybody really did, but I knew the hunted look in her eye; it didn't take a satori to realize something about this life just didn't sit well with her.”
“Huh.” Well, there's something—not something good, but definitely something. “And you think that was because she lost so much of her power?”
“I can't say I knew for sure, really, but she was a kirin, Max; they would be as to celestials as normal youkai would be to terrestrial humans.”
“Celestials?”
>> No. 86209
File 124196490123.png - (0.96MB , 1280x1024 , fallout - defcon dream.png ) [iqdb]
86209
“Yeah, another thing that doesn't translate across the generations so well, a change in cosmology. I guess the Heavens must still exist in some form or the other, though; otherwise, fairies wouldn't keep reincarnating.”
“Well, we were taught...” The collective unconscious possessed a finite number of realizable personae due to hard limitations imposed by the human brain and cultural variance. Fairies and youkai didn't have 'souls' that reincarnated; you just lacked the collective imagination to entertain any new ones. “No, I guess it doesn't really matter. Probably bullshit.”
“If there's one constant I've found over the years, it's that most everything that trickles down from the upper echelons of power falls into two categories: 'probable bullshit' and 'improbable bullshit'. If there was ever any truth in something it'll have been stomped the fuck out by the time those bastards got ahold of it.”
You put your cup down and look at Kogasa with mock horror. “You mean you doubt the essential goodness of the White Man's culture?”
“No,” the umbrella snorts. “I have no illusions over the 'goodness' in Man's ends. It's his methods toward those ends I find fault with.”
“God save us from the collective good intentions of ten billion human beings.”
“I'm alive. Guess that makes me a right and decent Christian.” Holding its hand out in the rainfall for a moment, the monster anoints itself with a drop of rainwater.
Momentarily conscious of the vast improbability of your existence, you raise your cup. Miracle of miracles. “Amen.”



“It's letting up.”
“Seems like it,” you concur, standing up from your chair. “It was a pleasure Miss Tatara.”
“All mine, Rocko. And good luck on your little excursion.”
“Thanks.” She knew? “For the drink, and, uh, for the bobble head.”
“I was hoping that one would make it into your hands.”
“I'm sure it will come in handy in the event I encounter the treacherous winds of the Wastes, and need the weight to make sure my last will & testament doesn't get gusted away.”
“Hell of a mouth on you. Daiyousei must have her hands full. Tell the goddess that all her flock needs is a good shearing; not the kind of job you'd use a lion for.”
That doesn't sound shady at all. “I'll be sure to pass on the message. So, um...”
“What? Oh, right. Wouldn't want you to slip and break your neck or something. Just a minute, I'll lend you an umbrella.”

One harrowing descent later, and you're back in the alley. The umbrella escapes your hands the moment you touch down, leaving you to find that the rain has stopped completely now. The mist is mostly gone too, revealing the empty lower portion of Kogasa's stand, covered up with a tarp. Gathering the possessions you left at the base of the odd tower, you call up Daiyousei on the Pip-Boy.
“Dai?”
“I'm here.”
“Kogasa wanted me to tell you something: 'Your flock of seagulls just needs a little blow-drying; not the kind of thing you need a stylist for.'”
“Ha ha, what?”
“Didn't make any sense to me either.”
“I was there the whole time.”
“I know. So what does it mean?”
“It wasn't 'a flock of seagul—“
“I know. What does it mean?”
“Just related to why you were there. I mean, the last time. I asked her to size you up for me. See if you were ready, you know? Lay off the Hatorade.”
There's something amiss here, but you can't pinpoint it. Good thing this platter was in plastic-wrap, otherwise the cookies would've been soaked, you think, eating one of them. Oatmeal raisin.

[ ] Anything else you want to get done in the Vault today you should probably get done with now. (Write-in)
[ ] Otherwise, Mary & Renko should be done making dinner.

[ ] Pip-Fairy ⑨000
- [ ] Status
- [ ] Inventory
- [ ] Notes
- [ ] Radio
- [ ] Dai chatter topics? (write-in)



Sunday, October 21, 2277
7:50 PM JST

Queued for chatter:
>[x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
>> No. 86216
[x] Otherwise, Mary & Renko should be done making dinner.

[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨000
- [x] Status
- [x] Inventory
- [x] Notes
- [x] Radio
- [x] Dai chatter topics?
- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
>> No. 86230
[X] Anything else you want to get done in the Vault today you should probably get done with now.
-[X] Prank a fairy.
>> No. 86234
[X] Anything else you want to get done in the Vault today you should probably get done with now. (Write-in):
-[X]Turn gun back down to stun...just in case.
-[X]Grocery store : antacids, stomach medicine, ...contraceptives?
[X] Otherwise, Mary & Renko should be done making dinner.
>> No. 86235
[x] Otherwise, Mary & Renko should be done making dinner.

[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨000
- [x] Status
- [x] Inventory
- [x] Notes
- [x] Radio
- [x] Dai chatter topics?
- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
>> No. 86282
Person who makes great write-ins and has good ideas, where are you?

I need something I can trust in voting for.
>> No. 86291
>>86282

If you're refering to that as meaning the guy who has lead the general flow for the last several write-ins and such, I held back to give others a shot to see what they could come up with despite reading the update at a time when there was only one or two votes already. If people really want, I can see what I come up with, but I don't want to feel like I'm directing how the story flows too much.
>> No. 86292
>>86291

Let it flow man, let it flow.
>> No. 86294
>Let it flow man, let it flow.

Insert Scorn reference here.
>> No. 86299
[X] Anything else you want to get done in the Vault today you should probably get done with now. (Write-in):
-[X]Turn gun back down to stun...just in case.
-[X]Grocery store : antacids, stomach medicine, ...contraceptives?

[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨000
- [x] Status
- [x] Inventory
- [x] Notes
- [x] Radio
- [x] Dai chatter topics?
- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
>> No. 86300
[d] >>86299
[a] Also make sure to buy a little something for each of the girls.
[z] Start planning (at least a little) for when you'll get some free time to read this stuff.
[e] Before you get back, ask Dai to check on how Mary and Renko are doing and what they're doing. Formulate an appropriate return.

(Or did she say she wouldn't do that? I can't remember.)

If there's anything wrong with that plan of action, someone please feel free to point it out.

Oh, and when do we have to start work?
>> No. 86303
File 124209680937.jpg - (361.37KB , 1024x768 , 4168693.jpg ) [iqdb]
86303
Not that guy, but I thought I'd try anyway.

[X] Otherwise, Mary & Renko should be done making dinner.
[X] Pip-Fairy ⑨000
-[X] Inventory: available funds and equipment
-[X] Dai chatter topics:
--[X] Is there anything particularly special planned for the 200th anniversary of the internment, aside from our dramatic escape?
--[X] Any ideas on an accelerated training regimen in the fey arts?
--[X] The feasibility of gathering the required equipment and getting our magical proficiency to something suited to life in the wastes?

Last two are basically one question, and the second one can probably be folded into our queued line of conversation as well. Want to start looking at the logistics of our mission. Theoretically, we could spend a couple extra hours being ordered around by Dai and scrounging up some materials. However, I half suspect she's already got that taken care of; rerouted deliveries or some such. Regardless, pouring over our new tomes would be a good way to spend our one good day; it'll either be a good start or our only chance to sit down and study in relative safety. Better to start Monday fresh after a good meal and a solid night of rest (literally and figuratively).

In the name of full disclosure, I'm all for leaving as soon as possible. Vault life is one thing; making do with what you have on the outside is another, far more interesting prospect.

Is anyone considering bringing more than our trusty little fairy mom into the wastes? I'm of two different minds on the subject. The party dynamic would be interesting, but I'd probably go suicidal if something were to happen to Mary and/or Ren.
>> No. 86308
>>86292

Made the mistake of getting caught up in Umineko ep 4 until the hockey game started and then watching the Canucks lose to the Blackhawks pretty much killed any creativity I had, sorry.

>>86303
At some point, we need to get a straight answer on whether they think they're coming with us and handling it accordingly. If we bring them along, we'll have support, but like you said, if anything happens to them, it would break us pretty much. Also, if they came with us, we couldn't put ladykiller to proper use once we get it next level. Hard to charm the ladies when you have already have some nearby glaring holes into the back of your skull.

I'll try to put some thought into what else might be a good point to raise up between now and our departure, but don't expect too much. The depression from the Canucks losing won't end anytime soon sadly and I'm already breaking one of my rules that drinking in this state is a bad idea.
>> No. 86315
>>86308
Don't stress too hard; between the complete and utter elimination from the finals and losing the World Championship to the Russians, I can see where the depression might set in. At least you can admire/deride Don Cherry's wardrobe in a vacuum now.
>> No. 86324
>>86315

Ouch.
>> No. 86326
I'm pretty sure Ren and Mari will leave the vault with max. Remember that dream sequence? You can bet your ass it wasn't just a dream.

>but I'd probably go suicidal if something were to happen to Mary and/or Ren.

Guess we shouldn't have taken Bloody Mess now. Don't want to see them exploding to pieces. Actually, don't want to see them dieing at all.
>> No. 86340
>>86326

Shit, I hadn't thought of that. With the Bloody Mess perk, if we witness the death of a companion, it'll almost certainly leave serious emotional scars.
...And I can't decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Could our name be coincidental foreshadowing?
>> No. 86343
>>86308

the internet of all places? nvm, forget I said that. first thing that happened last night was everyone i don't know on my contacts list msging screaming NOOOOOOOO!!! CANUCKS LOST!!!

don't take it too hard, it's not the first time.
>> No. 86344
>>86326
...I thought that was a flashback to when they were younger, not a future-flashforward-dream.

That's why Renko had the info we needed.

Wasn't it?

>>86340
FFFFFFFFFFF
I hope not.
>> No. 86351
>>86344
>...I thought that was a flashback to when they were younger, not a future-flashforward-dream.

Yes.

It was ambiguous, I suppose.

Unintentionally.

>>86340

Come on, getting married & having a kid in a post-apocalyptic wasteland? If you want that kind of life, you're a lot better off in the Vault.

At least, until you really do run out of Water Chips.
>> No. 86353
>>86351

I meant to say that if someone close to Max died, and he was there to witness it, he'd be pretty fucked up. I didn't mean that they had to be in his (currently non-existent) immediate family.
>> No. 86360
>>86353

I know what you mean; yes, emergent circumstances can have a transformative effect on a protagonist. However, honestly, there will be few situations where a death in the party can occur while also leaving you alive as well, especially given that your attributes put you in a 'support' role as far as combat is concerned. If you go Charisma all the way, your focus would be on increasing party size without loss of party cohesion, conflict prevention (speech), and making sure your guys have the biggest guns and most ammo (barter), and judicious leadership. Even if you do go primary magic, you'll still find yourself fucked against magic-resistant enemies.
>> No. 86366
>>86360
>>However, honestly, there will be few situations where a death in the party can occur while also leaving you alive as well, especially given that your attributes put you in a 'support' role as far as combat is concerned.

So, wait... Renko is the party tank?
THIS DEMANDS A DRAWING.
>> No. 86367
>>86366
Renko is the DPS. You're the controller. In the post-apocalyptic world that has guns in it, only Youkai and robots are allowed to be tanks, so Dai will have to do that job.
>> No. 86380
>>86343

It was more that not only did the Canucks lose, they lost that game worse than they had any other game that season pretty much if you don't factor in their own goals. That made the loss much harder to swallow. I've seen them lose before, and I knew it was going to be a hard game, but it sucks no matter what to see them lose.

Ah well. In my mind, the current things that need to be investigated/clarified:

- Exactly what we are capable of through our magic. By poll option, we know we are capable of putting targets to sleep, and we more than likely have control over the elements, though exploring our limits in these as well might be handy, but what else? Are we able to temporarily augment people? Can we use our powers to affect what is around us as opposed to relying on what we make ourselves? There is a lot to cover, and going over the books is a must.

- Are Mary and Renko fully prepared to assist us up top, and what specifically can they bring to the table? Renko we know is skilled with guns so we'll be relying on her initially to handle anything our magic can't, and hopefully we can rely often on our magic to prevent wasting bullets, but we don't know too much in regards to Mary's powers as far as I recall. Investigating this tonight would be wise.

- It would also probably be wise to settle things for things will be handled up top. We know very little about the wastes, and reading the book will help with that, but as much as I dislike the application of metaknowledge, up in the wastes, our primary encounters will be with females and our method of dealing with things relies on our charisma so making sure Mary and Renko don't do anything odd when we all go to the surface and wind up potentially having youkai flirting with us would be wise. Renko has shown herself to be a loose cannon and unless we make sure she doesn't go nuts again, it might harm our diplomatic abilties.

- Building upon the earlier point of analyzing our teams strengths will also be trying to find our weaknesses and recruiting allies who can help us remove those weaknesses. The most glaring one right now would be our lack of a tank as mentioned. Renko can probably do something initially, but later on as the story progresses, we'll definitely want someone else up front who can handle the job properly while Renko assumes a proper distance suited to one fighting with a handgun. Suika comes to mind as being perfect for this role, but that would be a massive stroke of luck to encounter and recruit her early on.


I also put some thought into our current grand goal, which is heading to the vault that Alice is in and talking with her. We're currently in a world where all the humans we've generally known as part of the Touhou world are dead. Alice could be a very interesting person to interact with depending on how Marisa left the world. Can't wait to see how that plays out.

There are a few more things that came to my mind like the potential problems that could come with leading a team full of women, two of which at least are romantically involved with us and who knows what the future additions might be like? I'm not fully confident on everything I gave, and I could probably do things better/think up some more to smooth up before we leave, but I spent most of today dealing with a hangover so my ability to think and focus has been impaired for the greater part of the day.

What does everyone else think about this?
>> No. 86386
>>86380

You have no idea vindicating it feels to have someone post a wall of text in response to a story that Anon wrote. Regardless of the content.
>> No. 86393
>Alice could be a very interesting person to interact with depending on how Marisa left the world. Can't wait to see how that plays out.

I predict Tranquility Lane with Dolls. Where Marisa and Reimu and all those never died, and gensokyo goes on as it always had, forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and-
>> No. 86422
>>86393

Yeah, that stood out as a heavy possibility in my mind when I brought that up. Finding out about Alice might be a good thing to do just in case she's turned into some nutcase so we're prepared for the potential minefield that dealing with her could be. Marisa might also be interesting to look into as well since she was a human capable of performing magic which would certainly put her in an intersting position once the border came down.
>> No. 86434
>>86380

First off, I'll say that I think that the people playing are going to vote to leave on the evening of the festival. If this is not true, then my response it quite different.

Magic: best guess is that we have cantrip level magic abilities, though I wonder if even our character knows their limits. While I agree that it is a good idea to discover our limits, I doubt that we have time.

Mary and Renko: There are both advantages and disadvantages to taking them along, but in the end, this isn't our choice. It's theirs. We should tell them our plans with no pretext and simply allow them to do as they will. My nagging suspicion is that Mary will come along with us regardless (abandonment issues), but ren is more unpredictable. In the end we'll have to deal with things as they come up.

the outside world: I disagree that the world will be mostly women. While I agree that due to touhou nature, most of the women in power will be, Gensokyo merged with earth. I think there is little doubt that the population of earth was much more than that of Gensokyo, so the new population will largely reflect the earth distribution: about 50% male, 50% female. In fact, since males tend to be more adventuresome and aggressive, our random encounters in the wastes are likely to be largely Male-dominated.

As for the fate of any individual touhou, I think that we will find out as they come. Given the skill anon has demonstrated, I doubt we will be disappointed in any case.

Aside from that I have but one thing to say:
READ THE BOOK...s...
>> No. 86440
>>86434

Festival: We'll leave when it comes around unless something significant comes up to stop us. Dai has already supplied plenty of reason to leave during it, and the time between the festival and the next time to escape wouldn't be pleasant anyways so exploring it wouldn't be too worthwhile.

Magic: I don't think we're simply at a cantrip level if we had a poll option that let us try to put Renko to sleep. Sleep is much more of than a cantrip level spell in my eyes, and I certainly would hope we are capable of performing more than just these when the times comes. We can experiment later when we look into our books on magic since it always helps to test out what we're trying to learn to help prevent freeze-ups or hesitation in combat situations when we don't know if it will work or not. We can put a heavier focus on this later once we analyze our team though and find out what our weakpoints are and then try to use magic to cover those gaps until we can recruit people to fill them in theirselves.

Mary and Renko: Yes, the choice regarding whether or not they come is certainly up to them. I'd want it that way regardless. If they stepped forth into the wastes without complete resolve, the results would be catastrophic. There is no turning back and unless they are fully certain of their position, we might have to deal with hysteric women and baggage to worry about. Regardless, drag this issue out during dinner to get it out of the way which will allow us to properly spend the time we have remaining on learning about magic and what the surface is like instead of worrying about them.

The outside world: We're still in Gensokyo though, so even factoring in some things like there may be more human settlements, I don't think we're going to encounter too many humans. We're also not going to encounter that many males. A large percentage of the youkai population is female and they certainly would survive better than the humans would so running into them is certain to be expected. Regardless, our primary encounters are going to be with rabid/feral fairies at first. The book should reveal more, but these will certainly be our first concern. Dealing with the twisted remains of our foes of old, once again pressing forward and taking down endless waves of them except this time they won't give us danmaku to dodge, but rather we'll be dodging them.

And yes, of course, book reading is important which is why setting ourselves up for getting the most important matter out of the way as soon as we can is important. After that, we can focus on our studies and having Dai explain whatever we could ask of her during our breaks.
>> No. 86448
>>86434
>There are both advantages and disadvantages to taking them along, but in the end, this isn't our choice. It's theirs.

On the one hand, I agree entirely. A possible course of action would be to lay out the nasty facts: it's going to be extremely dangerous, chances of success are rather low, and Max is going to have to do some pretty questionable/reprehensible things to accomplish this task. Knowing all that, would they still go?
On the other hand, shirking the responsibility of making a firm decision seems like a cop out. The sensation is hard to define, but for all the times we've made the effort to involve Mary and Ren, it feels like we have a responsibility of making a firm decision in the matter. Then again, that decision could be to accept whatever their decision may be (absent asking us not to go). Maybe this is something Dai can advise on. She's watched Mary and Ren for just as long; maybe she'll have some insight as to whether they have the fortitude or if their presence would be a liability. I think one check mark in their favor is the fact the last time we all headed to the surface, they're the only reason we're not dead. They're better at surface living than we are by default.

Magic is only something we can begin to discuss and evaluate after we acquaint ourselves with the knowledge from the books and the extent of our abilities. I think we need to know what utility it is going to afford since there doesn't seem to be any analog in the Fallout skills. It could be offensive, defensive, support, or some combination thereof.

The way it's shaping up, Max is the brains of the outfit, and he has the wit and charm to make it count. Decision maker, deal broker, mediator, seducer, etc. I'll refrain from making comments on magic until we know what the hell it does. Renko is a brawler, direct-route kind. We know she's tough and is quite potent(I'm recalling the conversation about biting Meira's ear off and ending up not worse for wear). 'Go To' person when Max can't talk out of a situation; first person in line against someone we know is going to be aggressive (I think it'd be hard to implement green and red markings on our in-game compass for a CYOA, so that distinction is less defined). Maribel is solid support for either endeavor. Definite healing capabilities, and considering the number of charms and talismans she was packing in the flashback, I think she can negate any magic-resistant foes. Remains to be seen. Can only speculate on what Dai may bring to the table with a body, but I would wager she's a danmaku fiend. A fairly well rounded group in my estimation.
Not to say Max by himself wouldn't be just fine either. High speech, high stealth characters have the luxury of being picky with their battles: they can talk themselves into a beneficial position with anyone not violently beligerant, or can choose to avoid (or sneak attack) anyone that is.

For some reason, wandering the wastes with a team any larger than currently contemplated gives some odd impressions. It feels like we'll wander into a bit of gaming territory thoroughly explored by an iconic video game franchise by Square. The thought of Max becoming increasingly effeminate, adopting an absurd hair-style, and dressingly entirely in flamboyant and impractical garb leaves me feeling numb inside (and not the comfortable kind). Furthermore, the talk of 'tanks' and 'DPS' conjures images of Max swearing into a head-set as his raid wipes on phase 2 of Yuuka because robo-Dai couldn't keep aggro off Mary.

Finally, discussion is all well and good, but we really do need more votes.
>> No. 86455
[x] Otherwise, Mary & Renko should be done making dinner.

[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨000
- [x] Status
- [x] Inventory
- [x] Notes
- [x] Radio
- [x] Dai chatter topics?
- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic

Y'know for all this discussion there sure aren't many votes and he said he's requiring 6-7 to update.
>> No. 86467
[x] Otherwise, Mary & Renko should be done making dinner.

[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨000
- [x] Status
- [x] Inventory
- [x] Notes
- [x] Radio
- [x] Dai chatter topics?
- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
>> No. 86468
>>86422
>>Finding out about Alice might be a good thing to do just in case she's turned into some nutcase so we're prepared for the potential minefield that dealing with her could be.
>>minefield

You are now picturing Alice laying prone on the roof of a half-demolished building with a sniper rifle. She is wearing a ghillie suit, but her frilly skirt is sticking out from the waist down. Shanghai is sitting on her shoulder while looking through a pair of tiny binoculars, and a small twig with a single leaf on the end is tied to the back of the doll's head for camouflauge.
>> No. 86469
>>86448
>>the talk of 'tanks' and 'DPS' conjures images of Max swearing into a head-set as his raid wipes on phase 2 of Yuuka because robo-Dai couldn't keep aggro off Mary.

"Dai, you are just stupid as hell."
>> No. 86492
>>yukawipe.swf
>> No. 86494
File 124235157273.jpg - (395.46KB , 650x800 , YukkuriOpolis.jpg ) [iqdb]
86494
>[x] Otherwise, Mary & Renko should be done making dinner.

>[x] Pip-Fairy ⑨000
>- [x] Status
>- [x] Inventory
>- [x] Notes
>- [x] Radio
>- [x] Dai chatter topics?
>- - [x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic

Obvious winner is obvious. Hopefully we'll have cleared up some of the concerns over magic in the next update, which should be tomorrow.

Also, your discussions are sweet, sweet candy that fuel the writefag's imagination.

>>86366
It's not a novel idea, really. HY's Renko went toe-to-toe with Youki and Yuka with a knife, and YAF's Ren also made a similar (though abortive) attempt in that direction, both presumably inspired by that one doujin where she tries to protect Mary from the giant caterpillar.

The difference here is that it's not so much that she's turned into a youkai, as it is that the youkai have all turned human. At least inasmuch that they die when they are killed.

>>86448
>For some reason, wandering the wastes with a team any larger than currently contemplated gives some odd impressions. It feels like we'll wander into a bit of gaming territory thoroughly explored by an iconic video game franchise by Square. The thought of Max becoming increasingly effeminate, adopting an absurd hair-style, and dressingly entirely in flamboyant and impractical garb leaves me feeling numb inside (and not the comfortable kind).

Concerning party size, the litmus test you'll be using is 'Can you fit it in a 1973 Ford Falcon XB GT?'

Once Dai finds a body, party members will be less permanent. Everyone has their own lives: Mary has her faithful. Daiyousei has Cirno and duty as Vault AI. Renko has her Tunnel Snakes. And the other potential companions will have their own motivations for and terms under which they will aid you.
>> No. 86498
>>86494

At least we'll have that on our side when we venture out there. Youkai should be able to be reasoned with a bit more as long as the power balance isn't completely tipped on their side unless of course they've gotten tired of living.
>> No. 86499
File 124235644639.png - (230.88KB , 1042x583 , Fo1_Corvega_Composite.png ) [iqdb]
86499
>>86494
>Can you fit it in a Corvega?

Fixed.
>> No. 86502
>>Once Dai finds a body, party members will be less permanent. Everyone has their own lives: Mary has her faithful. Daiyousei has Cirno and duty as Vault AI. Renko has her Tunnel Snakes. And the other potential companions will have their own motivations for and terms under which they will aid you.

Ah, so it's just like in the game. Very clever.

I assume we don't have to worry about high-level spawns killing our teammates while we aren't there? Because there really are much better places for our friends to be than just outside the vault door.
>> No. 86503
>>86469
Onyxia, not Leeroy.

>>86468
D'awww.
>> No. 86518
I only just got caught up with this story.

Damn how had I missed this gem?

Godspeed Writefag, shine on you crazy diamond.
>> No. 86529
>>86503
That people are still conversant in the Onyxia encounter rekindles a portion of my shattered heart that I wish would remain deadened.
>> No. 86537
>>86529
Well, actually, I can recite the entire thing from memory, and I never even played WoW. Hell, I hate the goddamn game.
>> No. 86542
File 124248756355.jpg - (326.59KB , 1000x1000 , Cirno Queen of 9s.jpg ) [iqdb]
86542
“Dai, I'll be heading back to my room. Let Ren & Mary know, and...”
“...And what?”
“Play something nice.”



“You're as cold as ice.”
Fuck you, Dai.
HEY, YOU SAID PLAY SOMETHING ICE, RIGHT?
Dai's signs obscure the radio tuner.
”You're willing to sacrifice our love.”
Fuck you very much.
”You never take advice.”
MAX, WHY DO YOU NEVER TAKE ADVICE?
“I would if I could hear myself think, could you turn it down at least?”
FINE.
”Some day you'll pay the price, I know!”
“...Could you turn it down now, Dai?”
”I've seen if before; it happens all the time.”
I DID.
“You're closing the door; you leave the world behind~!”
Wait, a minute. Those lyrics just now... why weren't they italicized?
OH FUCK.
“You're digging for gold, and throwing away...”
Tell me, Dai, how does it feel to fuck up this badly? But she can't answer, even if you could voice your complaint.
“A fortune in feeling that someday you'll pay~!”
No, she's gone, and you're left holding the bag.
You're right out in the open. Not that it would possible to blend in with a fairy crowd, but it seems they've decided to make a conscious effort to abandon you; the street is devoid of people, but you have little doubt that everyone is peeking around the corners in anticipation. From the point that her cerulean eyes catch yours over the rim of her glasses, any prospects for avoiding the encounter are lost. Though your feet might be frozen in place in fear (or at least, you hope from fear), your gilded tongue proves itself able to deal with situation, even as your executive functioning tries to trying to wrap itself around said situation.
“Guten abend, Frau Oberführer.”
“Guten abend, Herr Rockatansky! Have the Loyal Citizens of my Vault finally begun work constructing my Cult of Personality?”
Damn. You were hoping the German would throw her off. “Well, I'd salute and click my heels, Ma'am, but I left my jackboots next to my canister of Mace and my pinscher attack dog.” You rub the back your neck in mock embarrassment. “Oh, right. Fairies don't tend to get along with dogs, do they?”
Her short stature—relative to you, anyway; for a fairy she'd be practically an amazon—beguiles a very large presence, the quality you've only felt in the company of that youkai woman, Kogasa, and Miss Ellen engaged in the highest levels of spellcasting. A literally chilling aura surrounds her, making your hairs stand on end and forcing you to suppress a shudder. It's clear she's venting a lot of magic here, but it is hard to know how much of this is posturing and how much is an unconscious reaction to her mood. “Always the kidder, Max Rockatansky. In fact, I've been hearing a lot about your practical jokes lately. Inspector Kotohime in particular told me a good one.”
“Though we may choose to look at memories and laugh in hindsight, this does not necessarily make them jokes, Overseer.” For your part, you do your best to look unintimidated. Verbally, you should be able to hold your own. That she didn't send Kotohime herself or even come along with a security detachment means... what exactly? That she expects you to offer no resistance? That she does and wants to show-off in front of a crowd of her peers? Maybe she wants to handle the matter in way so as not to go through the usual channels? Why?
“How right you are.”
She's stops right in front of you, taking off her glasses and folding her arms over her chest. This is awkward for you, especially since she's not meeting your gaze, but staring instead at your torso. Licking your lips, you open your mouth in an attempt to get something out, but you're stopped by two fingers, poking you in the sternum
“Lies, my boy, are easily recognized because there are two kinds: There are lies with short legs...”
She kicks you in the shin. Hard. “Ow!”
“...and there are lies with long noses.”
As you open your mouth to object to this unprovoked assault on your person, those two finger pointing at your chest arc up and back, catching you in the nose.
“Tch.” The combination attack sends you reeling. You lose your balance and land on your ass.
“Yours, to the point, are the kind with the long nose.” Now she's looking down at you. This is the Overseer as you remember her. Proud. Discerning. Pedagogical. These are the emotions you felt as a child in front of her. Anger. Fear. Embarrassment. You hear muffled giggling from all directions, even though no fairies are visible; for all the concrete and steel, the silhouettes of girders in the darkened background could almost be mistaken for trees. You have pride too, but you had to swallow yours because you had no friends, no family, no weapons, no education, no purpose, and no confidence. You were small. You were powerless. You were.
“...I hear you're supposed to be the strongest person in Gensokyo.”
But unlike fairies, human children grow up quickly. In the space of a few years, one's abilities, beliefs, circumstances, and company can change remarkably—too quickly for the eye of one of a longer-lived race to track. Your fingers tap against pistol at your side experimentally, which she notices.
“Whoever fed you that old chestnut?” She says as dismissively as she can while condensing a few wicked-shaped chunks of ice out of thin air. This can only be a ruse, since the blocks are far too massive to be propelled with any appreciable speed or control, due to the limits of levitation magic. No, as long as those aren't hanging directly over your head, they're not something to worry about. Still, the speed at which she can materialize solid ice alone is alarming; hands that cold are likely to take your skin off just by touch.
“A little birdie told me.”
It doesn't look like she's very impressed by your answer. She doesn't look to be packing any weapons, but you doubt that will make much of a difference. You stand back up, fully prepared. You don't feel powerless or afraid, at least not anymore, but still there's a nagging part of your brain which expresses as to the doubt the legitimacy of establishing one's passage into adulthood through violence.

[ ] Try to be patient. “Not cool, Cirno. That right there was a dick move. If you need my help for something, you won't get it by browbeating me in submission..”.
[ ] Goad her. “Alright, porkchop. You called down the thunder? Well, now you've got it.” (feel free to write-in)
- [ ] <Magic> Those big blocks of ice hanging over her head? Definitely not the smartest thing to do; disrupt the levitation magic holding them aloft.
- [ ] <Guns> Set fazers to julienne. Hold shift for focused movement.
- [ ] <Guns> You haven't used this weapon much, but the explosive superheating of ice into a concealing shroud of steam and haze will allow you time to...
-- [ ] <Magic> …cast a decisive spell: “Tell the story, morning glory: Serpentine Fire!”
-- [ ] <Sneak> …make like a tree and get the hell out of here!
-- [ ] <Speech> ...cut some kind of deal that allows you both to save face here. (write-in)
[ ] Save yourself the trouble and just go along with her, wherever she wants you to do. You're sure you can get yourself out of this if things get too hairy.
[ ] <Speech> “I know the perfect place to sit down and have a cup of tea; more than that, it might help you understand the circumstances of this morning's exercise.”
- [ ] “...Hopefully she's still in, the doctor, being.”
- [ ] Miss Ellen and, hopefully, Meira would be a perfect mediators. Ellen is certain to defend your character, as Meira would definitely defend hers.
- [ ] “Looks like we'll be having more guest over for dinner. I hope you like duck l'orange.”
[ ] Oh fuck the intrigue shit. Get your shit & whoever is come with, and bail out the Overseer's secret tunnel.
[ ] Other ideas? Write-in!

If you do fight:
Gun danmaku...
[ ] On
[ ] Off
Magic danmaku...
[ ] On
[ ] Off



Sunday, October 21, 2277
8:09 PM JST
>> No. 86543
File 124248783148.png - (166.52KB , 424x600 , Cirno2.png ) [iqdb]
86543
Status & Inventory unchanged as of >>85072 with the following exceptions:

PipFairy ⑨000. Vers. 1.2.2x © RobCo. 2076.
╔Status════════════════════════
║Max Rockatansky, Level 2
║DNAᴱ: ♂Half-youkai (kirin, celestial)
║Occupation: N/A
║Security Clearance: Level 9 (revoked)
║Vault ID#: 150-⑨-1195
║DOB: 9-22-2259
╟──────────────────────────────
║CND: Alcohol Intoxication (+1 Cha, -1 Int, +Str)
╟──────────────────────────────
║HP: 218/230
║MP: 105/125
║AP: 77/77
║WT: 11.5/190
╟──────────────────────────────
║- (7:40 PM) You are under the effects of alcohol (sake)
║- (8:07 PM)Overseer has kicked you in the shin! -5 HP
║- (8:08 PM) Overseer flicked your nose! Critical! -2 HP
║- HP is now 218/230
╚══════════════════════════════

Still cued for chatter:
>[x] Anything she might be able to share regarding your magic
>> No. 86544
[ ] Goad her. “Alright, porkchop. You called down the thunder? Well, now you've got it.”
[ ] <Magic> Those big blocks of ice hanging over her head? Definitely not the smartest thing to do; disrupt the levitation magic holding them aloft.

Gun danmaku...
[ ] Off
Magic danmaku...
[ ] Off
>> No. 86545
>>Gun danmaku...
I am now imagining Max dodging thousands of handguns being thrown at him.
>> No. 86546
Choices ... Choices ... I'll wait a little bit to vote.
>> No. 86548
[X] Goad her. “Nice ornaments, am I supposed to shoot them now or wait until you toss them?"
- [X] <Guns> You haven't used this weapon much, but the explosive superheating of ice into a concealing shroud of steam and haze will allow you time to...
-- [X] "Ah, sorry, itchy trigger finger.
-- [X] <Speech> ...cut some kind of deal that allows you both to save face here.
-- [X] "Now, if we could take it easy for a moment? We could possibly talk a bit more?"
Gun danmaku...
[ ] On
[X] Off
Magic danmaku...
[X] On
[ ] Off

Okay, we're in a Hell of a sticky situation here. Many different options to do here that I'm sure haven't even been mentioned yet, and plenty of scenarios to branch out from these actions. First, let's think about what happens if we beat the Overseer. We know she's proud, if she wasn't she'd have brought a squad of others here as well. Ergo, beating her and leaving her alive would mean we'd have a very sore fairy to face in the future, and in the Vaults where everybody has time, this will be a problem.
Now, leaving her dead would stir up a Hell of a shitstorm. Plus it's likely Dai will cut off her connection with us, and we'll need her expanded surveillance for when it comes time to leave.
Letting her beat us wouldn't sit well. We may lose a lot of credibility dying on Icicle Fall(Easy). Then Dai would deem us not ready to head out into the Wastes and make the rest of our days in the Vault a Hell until we escape.
There's a lot to be lost in this fight, so we may as well make it look like we tried some diplomacy first.
>> No. 86552
[x] <Speech> "Come on Overseer, even you must have done crazy things at one point for the sake of a friend. Is there truly no one you can think of that you would do incredibly risky things for?
-[x] If she gives in just off this, well that ends this. If not...

-[x] If she only appears momentarily distracted...
--[x] <Magic> Attempt to disrupt her even further by dropping her ice on top of her.
--[x] <Magic> Charge forward and use your magic to heat your body up to counter-act her ice.
--[x] Pin her down. It's somewhat shameful to do this to a girl, but she's already given you two cheap shots so chivalry is pretty much out the window at this point.
--[x] <Speech> Attempt to intimidate her into giving up through a combination of bad lines and raising the heat of your fire even higher as long as she keeps resisting.
---[x] "Come on Cirno, even you surely can't be so cold-hearted to not have someone you wouldn't to outrageous things to protect if the opportunity presented itself? I'm Dai-ing to hear your thoughts on this."
--[x] If she still won't give in at this point, then things have simply gone on for too long.
---[x] "Alas, Fräulein Oberführer, as fun as this has been, and as hot as you make me feel for you right now, this needs to end because I've greatly screwed up with the friend I just risked myself for this morning and I need to fix this immediately. Auf wiedersehen."
---[x] <Magic> …cast a decisive spell: “Tell the story, morning glory: Serpentine Fire!”
---[x] Give her a kiss as the spell consumes her.

-[x] If it doesn't phase her at all...
--[x] Goad her. “Alright, porkchop. You called down the thunder? Well, now you've got it.”
--[x] <Magic> Those big blocks of ice hanging over her head? Definitely not the smartest thing to do; disrupt the levitation magic holding them aloft.
--[x] <Magic> Charge forward and use your magic to heat your body up to counter-act her ice.
--[x] Pin her down. It's somewhat shameful to do this to a girl, but she's already given you two cheap shots so chivalry is pretty much out the window at this point.
--[x] "Now then Oberführer, I really don't want this to escalate any further than it already has, but you've already attacked me so anything I do at this point counts as self-defense. Auf wiedersehen."
--[x] <Magic> …cast a decisive spell: “Tell the story, morning glory: Serpentine Fire!”
--[x] Give her a kiss as the spell consumes her.

Gun danmaku...
[x] Off
Magic danmaku...
[x] On at the end, not at the start

>8:08 PM
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. Completely missed the fact our time with Miss Ellen put us right at dinner time. Oh well, we can deal with that after we deal with Cirno. Magic danmaku on at the end because we aren't trying to kill her after all, just get her out of our hair temporarily while we go patch things up with Mary and Renko. We do have an excuse being given all this information regarding our past and such, but we're going to be relying on a lot of speech checks to get through the patching up process probably.

I may fine tune the wall later on since I know it isn't anywhere near foolproof and it does involve a lot of skill checks, but for now it works well enough. If you have any suggestions of what can be done better, throw them out there.

I threw in kissing Cirno good night since we're under the effects of the sake so even without the potential fairy complex he might have, it is still viable. Continue giving Max fairy issues~
>> No. 86553
[x] <Speech> “I know the perfect place to sit down and have a cup of tea; more than that, it might help you understand the circumstances of this morning's exercise.”
- [x] “...Hopefully she's still in, the doctor, being.”

Picking a fight with the Overseer? Hurr. Time to put that age old Fallout practice of talking our way out of a fight to use. Having Yue's help would be a great help since she was the victim of that incident.
>> No. 86554
>>86552

This gets my vote.
>> No. 86556
>>86552

And my Axe! i mean vote!
>> No. 86558
>>86557
Wait, did you just vote for two different votes at the same time?

That's against the rules, isn't it?
>> No. 86559
>>86557
This decision is getting far too complicated.
>> No. 86560
>>86558
Looks like I did. Guess I selected more text than I thought I did.
>> No. 86561
File 124251364631.jpg - (98.86KB , 500x625 , 441b2c3245ee707e5c12010d6219fe9a.jpg ) [iqdb]
86561
>>86558
And Fixed.

[x] <Speech> "Come on Overseer, even you must have done crazy things at one point for the sake of a friend. Is there truly no one you can think of that you would do incredibly risky things for?
-[x] If she gives in just off this, invite her to dinner. If not...

-[x] If she only appears momentarily distracted...
--[x] <Magic> Attempt to disrupt her even further by dropping her ice on top of her.
--[x] <Magic> Charge forward and use your magic to heat your body up to counter-act her ice.
--[x] Pin her down. It's somewhat shameful to do this to a girl, but she's already given you two cheap shots so chivalry is pretty much out the window at this point.
--[x] <Speech> Attempt to intimidate her into giving up through a combination of bad lines and raising the heat of your fire even higher as long as she keeps resisting.
---[x] "Come on Cirno, even you surely can't be so cold-hearted to not have someone you wouldn't to outrageous things to protect if the opportunity presented itself? I'm Dai-ing to hear your thoughts on this."
--[x] If she still won't give in at this point, then things have simply gone on for too long.
---[x] "Alas, Fräulein Oberführer, as fun as this has been, and as hot as you make me feel for you right now, this needs to end because I've greatly screwed up with the friend I just risked myself for this morning and I need to fix this immediately. Auf wiedersehen."
---[x] <Magic> …cast a decisive spell: “Tell the story, morning glory: Serpentine Fire!”
---[x] Give her a kiss as the spell consumes her.

-[x] If it doesn't phase her at all...
--[x] Goad her. “Alright, porkchop. You called down the thunder? Well, now you've got it.”
--[x] <Magic> Those big blocks of ice hanging over her head? Definitely not the smartest thing to do; disrupt the levitation magic holding them aloft.
--[x] <Magic> Charge forward and use your magic to heat your body up to counter-act her ice.
--[x] Pin her down. It's somewhat shameful to do this to a girl, but she's already given you two cheap shots so chivalry is pretty much out the window at this point.
--[x] "Now then Oberführer, I really don't want this to escalate any further than it already has, but you've already attacked me so anything I do at this point counts as self-defense. Auf wiedersehen."
--[x] <Magic> …cast a decisive spell: “Tell the story, morning glory: Serpentine Fire!”
--[x] Give her a kiss as the spell consumes her.

Gun danmaku...
[x] Off
Magic danmaku...
[x] On at the end, not at the start
>> No. 86565
>>86557
when i first saw this i thought it was an update
>> No. 86567
>>86561
Still far too damn complicated.

[speech] "So i broke a few rules for a friend. It's not like i would expect you to understand, what with you having no friends whatsoever."
[speech] "And to think you were chosen as an overseer. Tell me, what kind of soft heart broke the rules and gave up their place for that to happen? Because I hardly think an idiot like you would have been selected on her own merit."
>> No. 86571
>>86567

Still stupid, but definitely less complicated.
>> No. 86573
>>86571
Given all the options we were given look liable to get us in deep shit, i figure that we may as well end up in deep shit while trying to make Cirno remember her old, old friend Dai. Without actively mentioning we know her - because we don't yet know how much Cirno actually knows.

I figure we have two things we could learn from such needling. 1) Does she remember Daiyousei at all? 2) Does she know about AI Dai being aware and in contact with us?

If she does remember Dai, even just a bit, then it's possible she might let us off lighter for breaking the rules for a friend (we'll still be in trouble, but hopefully not as much as we are looking at now). More importantly we NEED to make sure she doesn't know AI Dai is aware - 'cuz if she is we may very well have to find some way to prevent them wiping her...
>> No. 86575
>Given all the options we were given look liable to get us in deep shit,

I guess you missed all the <Speech> and non-resistance options.

>i figure that we may as well end up in deep shit while trying to make Cirno remember her old, old friend Dai.

More than that, it looks like you must have missed a few threads as well. This isn't Owen's tragedy theater where people kill themselves over and over so they forget the pain of their loss. No, those are ones who are already perma-dead from Vault Depressive Syndrome. While those who have to carry on, the living, do just that, but that doesn't mean they forget. The fucking mainframe's technical designation is something like 'DAI-00-531'. She's worshipped as a goddess by the collective fairy population for godsakes.

>Without actively mentioning we know her - because we don't yet know how much Cirno actually knows.

Right. Some fourth-generation bottom feeder namedrops a person whose loss had caused to grieve for the last 200 years? And then what... 'lucky guess?' Cirno moves from disciplining you to throwing you into prison and throwing away the key.

>1) Does she remember Daiyousei at all?

You'd think so, if Dai did.

>2) Does she know about AI Dai being aware and in contact with us?

Dai spilled the beans completely: Cirno was going to be interned as the AI, but Daiyousei pulled a switcheroo on the paperwork so that Dai would be the computer and Cirno would the overlord. They both knew what they were getting into.

More importantly, the reason we're even involved in fool's errand is because Dai's memory banks will be wiped at the first sign of Rampancy according to Vault protocol. Dai told us explicitly how dangerous it would be if it got out that she were self-aware. Don't tell anyone, she said. Not even the Overseer, she said. I'd to think she's a better judge of her friend's character than we are, having watched her constantly for the better part of two centuries.

>If she does remember Dai, even just a bit, then it's possible she might let us off lighter for breaking the rules for a friend (we'll still be in trouble, but hopefully not as much as we are looking at now). More importantly we NEED to make sure she doesn't know AI Dai is aware - 'cuz if she is we may very well have to find some way to prevent them wiping her...

You desperately need to go back to the second meeting with Mary and Max's first few conversations with the fairy. Cirno is the primary threat to Dai-as-AI in Vault 9: That is why Dai needs a body!
>> No. 86576
[x] <Speech> “I know the perfect place to sit down and have a cup of tea; more than that, it might help you understand the circumstances of this morning's exercise.”
- [x] “...Hopefully she's still in, the doctor, being.”

Talking it out.
>> No. 86577
>>86575
Did you even bother to think for a goddamn second before writing that crap?

Here's a hint: The answer is No.

Dai's designation is 'DAI-00-531' because that's what she was called when she was FIRST FUCKING INSTALLED. That means shit all to if anyone, much less Cirno, remember that Daiyousei was a real person before then. As far as everyone is concerned, 'DAI-00-531' has no free will or sense of self and is just a goddamn computer.

Just because Dai remembers Cirno, again, means shit all about Cirno remembering Daiyousei. Dai's memory is fucking magnetic disc/tape/whatever now, she CAN'T forget shit unless she specifically deletes it. Something living, such as Cirno, can. If she remembers Daiyousei the fairy, then she should remember Dai swapping to get her in. Which means she should damn well be susceptable to an appeal along the lines of breaking rules for a friend.

Finally, the whole point about Cirno being Dai's no. 1 risk right now is the WHOLE FUCKING POINT of finding out what Cirno knows. if Cirno even *suspects* AI-Dai is sentient, then we NEED to know so we can take fucking precautions.


Next time you want to argue, don't. Not if you're this bad at it.
>> No. 86579
And before you be a bitch about it, I did specifically use language which didn't imply we knew anything for a goddamn reason. That reason being to NOT MENTION DAI IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.
>> No. 86584
I'll be honest. I primarily put forth the wall vote because I wanted to see just how a battle would actually play out in the story. It is most certainly not the correct thing to do in this situation, using speech would be to achieve highly broken results as per the Fallout way, but this is as good of a time as any to test out our magic capabilities.
>> No. 86587
>>86577
tl;dr, we shouldn't assume anything about what Cirno remembers or may have forgotten or what will happen if we push the envelope on the matter.

I completely forget right now if there was any introduction and world-building notes we were given if personal squabbles (or fun) in the Vault are still permitted to be handled in the way that they were during the heydays of Gensokyo. With a spontaneous danmaku battle, I mean, of course.

[+] Try to be patient. "Not cool, Cirno. <S>That right there was a dick move.</S> If you need my help for something, you won't get it by browbeating me into submission ..."
[+] "If you want to attack, go ahead. The Overseer assaulting someone who does not fight back will surely look good in review."
[+] Of course, that is only a bluff. If she attacks, fight back.
- Magic danmaku...
[+] On

We were on the verge of Dai gushing to us about Cirno's progressive maturity into the role of Overseer. I'll bank on that.
>> No. 86591
>Did you even bother to think for a goddamn
>Here's a hint: The answer is No.

Here's a protip: I'm the writer.

Now here's some actual advice: Chill~

>Dai's designation is 'DAI-00-531' because that's what she was called when she was FIRST FUCKING INSTALLED.

You have an underground colony that has been relying on the same information system since the door locked. There are no subcontractors to farm out development work to; there is no tech support to show you how to integrate your peripherals. Most important would be the inability to build new hardware. With this lack of those amenities and resources, the required system would have to act autonomously and be completely ⑨-proof. This is what forced the use of internment on live souls to create them.

A system like this is not the kind of thing you;s overhaul or reassemble on-site: It was created by Outsider experts in computing architecture and software engineering, and then heavily modified for magical data encoding & programing, certainly not the least included the highly experimental 'transplant procedure'. It is absolutely essential for the Vault to function, so you're not to find it's being mucked with, if at all possible.

>>74539
>"I really am a fairy, or at least I was, before I got turned into zeroes and ones. You know the name for this Vault's central AI?"
>You shake your head, rinsing the shampoo out of it. Computers were never one of your main interests.
>"Well, it's DAI-00531. That's my official designation. My real name is Daiyousei. My personality was uploaded to the Vault mainframe shortly before the Internment."

Note the present tense. If you had higher ranks in Science & Repair you would've made the connection beforehand, instead of being told directly.

>That means shit all to if anyone, much less Cirno, remember that Daiyousei was a real person before then.

Maybe if she were one of the masses, but this is an Overseer. They're the only ones who have the authority to shut the AI down. Moreover,Cirno was the one initially applied to become interred as the Vault ⑨ AI. It was the only way according to her they could 'be together' in some sense.

>>74540
>I'll start by explaining the circumstances in which I was taken out of my body in the first place. The Vault-Tec company originally planned to complete the Vaults by 2079 and commissioned Alice Margatroid, the genius responsible for the creation of the semi-autonomous dolls you see around the Vault, to develop an AI. However, due to intractable problems in developing an AI sophisticated enough, combined with the shortening window of time before the War would hit us, she had to substitute a true AI with a soul--I told you that at the time fairies and youkai were different, less physical than they are now--essentially possessing the already developed hardware and software with an already formed consciousness. The core AI of every Vault in Gensokyo was created this way. Alice solicited the major powers for volunteers, my friend who was the representative of the fairies signed herself up for it. She said it was the only way we could be together, seeing as I got a Vault acceptance notice and she didn't. I... I couldn't let her do it. She was so innocent, and I don't think she fully understood it would mean, though at the time I guess I really didn't really either. So, I went in her place, forging the necessary information on the documents. At the time, she couldn't even write well, so she had me handle the paperwork for everything. In this way, the story of the fairy sacrificing herself so the Vault might survive is true."

This is not an event that the Overseer has heard passed down through generations of folk tales. This was a personal event, near the time of the general Internment. Her position (and survival) is a direct result of her friend's sacrifice; you can be damn sure that this event is something that had have a lasting effect on the growth of the fledgling fairy overseer.

>As far as everyone is concerned, 'DAI-00-531' has no free will or sense of self and is just a goddamn computer.

Unless of course it isn't. Hence the concern over Rampancy.

>>74540
>"Because of the Vault protocol for troubleshooting AI--and these are established in walled-off files that I can't modify or remove--the development of self-awareness in an AI is a conditional known as considered 'Rampancy', and is a fatal flaw that could jeopardize the future of the Vault. At the best I would be reverted to a earlier state with my personality wiped; at the worst I would be shut down completely. While I'm proud of the fairy my friend has grown into, the Vault just couldn't survive without a reliable AI holding its hand, and she knows this."

Important, to Cirno, is the fact that Dai never reincarnated, which must mean she's still in there, in some form or another.

>Just because Dai remembers Cirno, again, means shit all about Cirno remembering Daiyousei. Dai's memory is fucking magnetic disc/tape/whatever now, she CAN'T forget shit unless she specifically deletes it.

Hahaha... if computers were so reliable, you wouldn't need a soul in there, would you? No, there are as many ways for digital media to become corrupt as there there are kinds of head injury. Any AI attempting to model a fully-formed personality is likely to be based on the emulation of a virtual brain model, and would theoretically be capable of the same mistakes that 'normal brains' do. Rather than build from the ground up, it's far more viable to use what's already there and add data correction software on top of it.

Of course this all means jack shit, since even before the fall of the Border things were changing, fairies were able to make cognitive leaps that hadn't before been thought possible. But we'd already long left the land of canon at that point.

>Something living, such as Cirno, can. If she remembers Daiyousei the fairy, then she should remember Dai swapping to get her in.

I hope you're not implying that Cirno was ever interred into the AI. Because, that would be wrong.

>Which means she should damn well be susceptable to an appeal along the lines of breaking rules for a friend.

Well these are not the halcyon days of fairy friends flitting about, playing tricks on unsuspecting passersby.

Cirno has had to run a commune of over a thousand humans, youkai, and fairies, for two-hundred years. That kind of work changes people. The potential failure of the central AI would be an immense weight on her mind, and Daiyousei, in addition for her desire for self-preservation, to open the Vault, to meet Cirno in the flesh, she is quite conscious of her friend's suffering.

>Finally, the whole point about Cirno being Dai's no. 1 risk right now is the WHOLE FUCKING POINT of finding out what Cirno knows. if Cirno even *suspects* AI-Dai is sentient, then we NEED to know so we can take fucking precautions.

This is basically a form of "Let's give the people who may or may not suspect something more information so that they'll definitely suspect something! ... So we can be ready for it!"

Yes by all means take precautions. I don't see what kind of precautions you could possibly take, but feel free to write-in when the moment strikes you.

>And before you be a bitch about it, I did specifically use language which didn't imply we knew anything for a goddamn reason. That reason being to NOT MENTION DAI IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

God honest, you mystify me sometimes.
>> No. 86593
File 12425380131.jpg - (103.43KB , 1024x576 , Funny.jpg ) [iqdb]
86593
Sorry, AD, but it really is.
>> No. 86594
Geez, my combat write-in keeps looking better and better as time passes. The only downside I'm still seeing is the moderate possibility of Cirno kicking our ass.
>> No. 86596
>>86591

Here's a bigger tip. Writer =/= thinking.

Since a reply to this would be teh fuckhueg. Lets hit the salient points quickly, ignoring the fact you have metaknowledge.
1) Memory is not infallible. Cirno has had shit to deal with for 200 years, details may be fuzzy, hazy or gone. She likely remembers Dai.
>At the time, she couldn't even write well, so she had me handle the paperwork for everything. In this way, the story of the fairy sacrificing herself so the Vault might survive is true.
this, i admit, doesn't necessarily imply that Cirno *knew* about Dai's alteration of documents, but from what Dai has said about Cirno signing up for the AI job it seems a fair bet that Cirno either knew, or realized later, that Dai swapped their applications this way. Understanding of this sacrifice should have occured to Cirno some time after - a button we tweak by suggesting she's only the overseer because someone else bowed out. An insult that Max could make even if he didn't know this shit, since Cirno's little clique of allies seem to hold a similar low opinion of Cirno's intelligence.

2) Her reaction to the aformentioned dig at her position would be important for determining what, if anything, she knows about Dai now. Admittedly she could have a good poker face, and i doubt Max is good enough to pick up tiny flickers of response, but it would be quite easy for her to mention something she shouldn't - hell, even her mentioning Max's behavior regarding his pipfairy and/or possible insider knowledge should set off warning bells that she suspects, at the very least, a connected accomplice. At which point steps would need to be taken to either throw her off by framing some other schmuck as an 'assistant' (unlikely, also risky) or simply to prevent further suspicion/snooping that may lead to Dai by being a helluva lot more careful in how we interact with her and use her 'help'.

3) you've pretty much confirmed our interactions with Cirno are likely to be less than agreeable, what with her knocking Max on his ass and all, and this is our first and possibly only encounter with her. If we were to go straight to 'really piss her off' or 'fight it out' mode then we wasted our oppertunity to talk - period. Calling on her perceived lack of friends (it's not like we've heard of any people that she is friends with who're, you know, alive and well) is a barb which, when followed up by reminding her of a friend she did have in an insult, is a calculated risk which may make her a smidgen more lenient on us - and if not, then it's not like we wouldn't be aiming for a high bar to get away without serious confontation anyway.

4) As to Dai's memory. Our Science and Repair isn't that high - how the heck are we supposed to know it's not infallible? It's a reasonable assumption to make that she cannot forget given we've not really been made out to be all that high tech a person.

Which all really begs the question of why the hell are you even bothering to argue against a vote anyway? Arguing against the argument i can understand 'cuz, hell, it's fun, but against the original vote idea itself? Unless that one wasn't actually you of course.
>> No. 86597
>>86596
I meant Max's little clique of allies hold a low opinion of cirno. My bad.
>> No. 86600
>Which all really begs the question of why the hell are you even bothering to argue against a vote anyway? Arguing against the argument i can understand 'cuz, hell, it's fun, but against the original vote idea itself? Unless that one wasn't actually you of course.

No that I genuinely thought was stupid. I mean here you've impersonated a police officer, stole one officer's sidearm, resulted in the wounding of an officer, jail-broke a criminal (Ren), and are currently involved in an active conspiracy to undermine the Vault government.

All this, and the Overseer tracks you down alone in the low-security, low-surveillance fairy district, while allows herself plenty of witnesses. She does not bring you up on formal charges, or makes an attempt to arrest you, instead kicking you in the leg and flicking your nose, while quoting a relavent line from Pinocchio.

The hint of force only appears after you make intonations toward the gun, which the protagonist assesses as inconsequential. All you had to was allow her to save face, like the first interaction you had with Ren and her Tunnel Snakes.

The silly thing is that other than upbraiding you before a crowd of people (so that she wouldn't have to send you real to public punishment), she was actually there to make in an attempt to make you become an agent of hers, allowing you legitimate, though covert, entrance and exit from the Overseer's office, while also serving the effect of keeping you out of the Vault's public eye.
>> No. 86603
>>86600
>low-security, low-surveillance fairy district, while allows herself plenty of witnesses.
Unless there are non-fairy witnesses present, that's just a whole lot of witnesses who will blindly follow any order Cirno gives them - that sort of thing tends to set of 'mafia execution' vibes.

>she was actually there to make in an attempt to make you become an agent of hers
And we were to know this how? All we knew is we had done seriously dodgy shit, and now the overseer was right in front of us after potentially walking in on us while we were trying to talk to Dai. She then, when we so much as vaguely hint at saying 'i'm armed' pulls out a potentially lethal amount of force to show off. Force which we, Max, very importantly, don't know she's not going to use.

This would be like having someone stick a gun in your face. It doesn't matter how polite their intentions are, they still have a goddamn gun in your face ready to blow your head off.

I would have thought, given this vision of likely death or severe injury, being a mouthy bastard wouldn't generally be considered out of character for the situation. Giving a slightly more personal version of 'who died and made you boss' probably isn't unusual for shortly-before-death last words.


And here's a tip - don't ever tell people in board posts what you did or did not plan to do. Even if you do actually go through with it. It can and will come back to bite you in the ass, and you only have to look at MiG to see how it can really mess up a story.
>> No. 86608
Right. here's my vote:

[X] <Speech> “I know the perfect place to sit down and have a cup of tea; more than that, it might help you understand the circumstances of this morning's exercise.”
- [X] “...Hopefully she's still in, the doctor, being.”
-- [X] <Speech> ...cut some kind of deal that allows you both to save face here. (write-in: you had to choose a course of action to prevent an innocent from getting harmed. You know hacking the vault system was wrong, but it was necessary for the greater good. You will accept a reasonable punishment [anything that does not interfere with us GTFOing the day after tomorrow])

if it comes down to a fight:
[X] Gun: don't bother.
[X] Magic: Set her up for one large blow. We can't win this, but we'll give her a scar to remember us by.
>> No. 86611
Also, I was trying to figure out the magic system to some extent and I got:
Sylph(air), Salamander(fire), Gnome(earth), Undine(water)

the last one is Sprite. I have no clue what that might be. anyone shed some light?

>> No. 86612
>>86611
I would think it's either mind or energy
>> No. 86613
>>86603
>Unless there are non-fairy witnesses present, that's just a whole lot of witnesses who will blindly follow any order Cirno gives them

Just we're clear, there is no fairy hivemind. They're typically more skittish than humans, but not so much that they'd be unplayable (as they were an option for PCs a character generation).

That the encounter took place in the fairy district was meant to be calming, not alarming, given that many of the voters seem to have attributed fey sympathies to the character.

Anyway, Cirno is the Overseer. She can kill you at any time, at any place, for any reason. It's a good thing she likes you. Reason for that is connected to the first trip outside the Vault and will be revealed in time, in not through further interaction with the Overseer, than through sequential flashback dreams.

>And we were to know this how?

You weren't. It would've killed all the irony in it if you did. But I certainly didn't expect people to piss themselves because they were meeting an actual authority figure for the first time.

>All we knew is we had done seriously dodgy shit, and now the overseer was right in front of us after potentially walking in on us while we were trying to talk to Dai.

Dai was using signs at the time to communicate. You merely looked like you were taking to yourself.

>She then, when we so much as vaguely hint at saying 'i'm armed' pulls out a potentially lethal amount of force to show off. Force which we, Max, very importantly, don't know she's not going to use.

Three things.
1.) You were carrying a stolen gun without a license. Of course if you reach for it a cop is going to draw a bead on you.
2.) Most importantly, her attacks were for show, only called upon when you made intimations toward the weapon, and furthermore were bluffs:
>This can only be a ruse, since the blocks are far too massive to be propelled with any appreciable speed or control, due to the limits of levitation magic.
3.) Any attack she makes could presumably be turned into nonlethal danmaku

>>86611
>the last one is Sprite. I have no clue what that might be. anyone shed some light?

Ether
>> No. 86618
File 124258583988.jpg - (80.39KB , 700x700 , 2547410d677df1f1ec5f292fae7f345e.jpg ) [iqdb]
86618
This thread.
>> No. 86622
[x] <Speech> “I know the perfect place to sit down and have a cup of tea; more than that, it might help you understand the circumstances of this morning's exercise.”
- [x] “...Hopefully she's still in, the doctor, being.”
>> No. 86623
I don't really know what won here, but it certainly wasn't the author's pride.

>[x] <Speech> "Come on Overseer, even you must have done crazy things at one point for the sake of a friend. Is there truly no one you can think of that you would do incredibly risky things for?"

Followed by...
>[x] Sturm und Drang

And possibly...
>[x] Tea

Is what I'll be going with, though.

Writing is imminent.

Expect a new thread.
>> No. 86626
>I don't really know what won here, but it certainly wasn't the author's pride.
This is a bad sign, right?

>>86613
>Ether
...I really hope Sprite is not an Indian (or Polynesian?) boy with a monkey.
>> No. 86628
File 124259990615.jpg - (66.00KB , 305x550 , sprite2.preview.jpg ) [iqdb]
86628
>>86626

no, it's a metal cylinder.
>> No. 86673
>>86628
And now 100% natural.
>> No. 87198
File 124318573946.jpg - (90.46KB , 366x627 , Damn It.jpg ) [iqdb]
87198
Chronic hard drive failure to acute hard drive failure to unexpected power supply failure to shared notebook back to repaired computer to unexpected motherboard failure back to shared notebook to expected hostile takeover of shared notebook to old notebook incapable of reading USB backup and hopefully soon to untested replacement tower.

Author is experiencing tumultuous, migratory workspace conditions. Please be waiting warmly during this inclement seven minute period.
>> No. 87240
>>87198
Don't worry about it. We'll be waiting patiently, Author.