[Return]
Archived Thread

File 123955048512.jpg - (145.34KB , 376x910 , SSakuya.jpg ) [iqdb]
83836 No. 83836
Just a little thing to throw out and test. Only gonna run for a thread or about 10 or so posts (of mine i mean) - whichever seems more appropriate. Consider it just a bit of a diversion - note that i'm not exactly starting at the 'start' per se... anyway, Anon in this is a female police officer. (since I hadn't thought of alternate scenarios for a guy... haha. This is just a diversion after all.)
Oh, one last thing. Police officer, not SS like in the picture - couldn't find a decent alternative pic to use.


“Where's my stuff?” You ask, staring down at your desk. Plain light brown wood, metal supports, and a standard office-issue PC sitting atop it. What was missing, however, was everything that was yours. Your desktop calendar, your tin full of pens, your notes, your files... You frown and check the drawers. “This had better not be some kind of practical joke or someone is going to-” You stop dead as someone steps in front of you. A uniformed someone in fact - looking up you recognize the badges upon the uniform as belonging to not your superior but his superior's superior's superior. That was a lot of superiority there and it showed.

“Ch-Chief Superintendent, sir!” You exclaim, snapping upwards to attention immediately. The man, advanced in his years and more than a little... well... with his body you were pretty sure he hadn't had to chase anyone down in a long while. Then again, given his age he had probably been an officer back when Youkai were a new and unknown threat to policing - you had heard that more than a few officers lost their lives back then simply because no-one really knew what the world had become. You suspected that things were probably simpler before everyone woke up to the presence of the 'corporeal spiritual energy' as the nerds of the world called it. Everyone else just called it 'Magic'.

Magic and Science. You'd been bought up on both, while older officers perhaps hadn't. It was easy to trace the distrust of such things through the ranks - the older the officer, the less they trusted it. Accepted it? Perhaps. Trusted it? Definitely not.

“At ease Officer.” You relax slightly at the command, but keep your eyes firmly fixed on the gaudily-uniformed in front of you. Beside him, you note, is an angry looking woman. She's about the same height as you - maybe a little taller, and her hair is cut into a short bob that hardly looks all that feminine... but then you're not one to talk, as you have yours cut even shorter. Her hair, unlike yours, is pure white - and you can tell it isn't a dye job either. Magic in her blood? Probably, it did things like that, odd natural hair colors weren't common but they weren't all that rare either.

“Sir?” You ask, your eyes flickering to your empty desk. “Is something... wrong... sir?”

“Congratulations!” The superintendent states, quite loudly. Loud enough to draw the eyes of everyone else in the room at least - and given that this was the main office of the station, that mean there were a lot of eyes now watching. “You're being promoted - Special Sergent!” He beams, a fake smile if ever you saw one. The kind the high ups use when in the media. “Equivalent to a... to a...” He pauses, and the woman next to him whispers something. “Oh, yes. Equivalent to a standard Lieutenant!”

Lieutenant? That made you blink in shock. With a promotion like this you were all but skipping two entire ranks! Something like that was... was... well, it was simply unheard of!

“Of course this is entirely dependent on your transfer,” the man continued, “but I'm sure you'll accept it. Why, we've already had your things shipped over to your new unit!” The way the superintendent says this, you know that you really have no choice about accepting the transfer. Hesitantly you nod, and the man beams once again. “Excellent! Work hard now! Special Captain Tachibana will be your commanding officer from now on!” He turns to the angry woman, “I leave her in your capable hands now Captain. Do try not to wear this one out as fast as the others.”

As he storms off, yelling commands to various flunkies who apparently seem to appear out of no-where, you yourself turn to regard the angry woman - Special Captain Tachibana.

“Lets set this straight.” She states, before you have a chance to say anything. “I don't like you. I don't like your boss, I don't like your bosses boss. I especially don't like the top boss who decided to dump you on me - but since I don't have a good reason to not like you, I have to ask - what did you do to piss off the brass enough that they sent you to my unit?”

[ ] Response


(In terms of ranks i'm using the japanese structure, which is similar to the british in that it goes:
Officer, Senior Officer, Sergent, Lieutenant, Captain, Superintendant, Chief Superintendant.)

>> No. 83837
[X] "I didn't update Touhou Persona, ma'am!"
>> No. 83843
[ ] Oh, well, see, there was the incident with the sniper rifle, then uh... there was the exploding police car, the three mile hike in pouring rain, the escaped youkai, A couple of dancing corpses,Um...
[ ] That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
[ ] Wow, to say it out loud, it's a wonder I'm still employed here!
[ ] Scratch the back of your head.
>> No. 83865
[d] Oh, well, see, there was the incident with the sniper rifle, then uh... there was the exploding police car, the three mile hike in pouring rain, the escaped youkai, A couple of dancing corpses, um...
[a] That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
[~] Wow, to say it out loud, it's a wonder I'm still employed here.
[z] Laugh.
[e] "So does this mean you're the bitter, cynical, career cop, and I'm the bright-eyed quirky new recruit with no regard for the regulations when they seem too stodgy and useless?"
>> No. 83892
[X] "I'm the good cop."
[X] "I'm the cop who follows the regulations to the letter., makes note of every incident of unnecessary deadly force, keeps the suspect's rights in mind, whether he be jaywalker or pedophile."
[X] "People like that are never popular. Not here. Not anywhere."
>> No. 83906
[X] "I'm the good cop."
[X] "I'm the cop who follows the regulations to the letter, makes note of every incident of unnecessary deadly force, keeps the suspect's rights in mind, whether he be jaywalker or pedophile."
[X] "People like that are never popular. Not here. Not anywhere."

I like this. I really, really like this.

Reminds me of the cop from Magnolia.
>> No. 83919
[X] "I'm the good cop."
[X] "I'm the cop who follows the regulations to the letter, makes note of every incident of unnecessary deadly force, keeps the suspect's rights in mind, whether he be jaywalker or pedophile."
[X] "People like that are never popular. Not here. Not anywhere."
>> No. 83920
[X] "I'm the good cop."
[X] "I'm the cop who follows the regulations to the letter, makes note of every incident of unnecessary deadly force, keeps the suspect's rights in mind, whether he be jaywalker or pedophile."
[X] "People like that are never popular. Not here. Not anywhere."

Best I've heard so far.
>> No. 83923
[ ] Oh, well, see, there was the incident with the sniper rifle, then uh... there was the exploding police car, the three mile hike in pouring rain, the escaped youkai, A couple of dancing corpses, um...
[ ] That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
[ ] Wow, to say it out loud, it's a wonder I'm still employed here.
[ ] Laugh.
[ ] "So does this mean you're the bitter, cynical, career cop, and I'm the bright-eyed quirky new recruit with no regard for the regulations when they seem too stodgy and useless?"
>> No. 83927
[x] Oh, well, see, there was the incident with the sniper rifle, then uh... there was the exploding police car, the three mile hike in pouring rain, the escaped youkai, A couple of dancing corpses, um...
[x] That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
[x] Wow, to say it out loud, it's a wonder I'm still employed here.
[z] Laugh.
[x] "So does this mean you're the bitter, cynical, career cop, and I'm the bright-eyed quirky new recruit with no regard for the regulations when they seem too stodgy and useless?"
>> No. 83932
[X] "I'm the good cop."
[X] "I'm the cop who follows the regulations to the letter, makes note of every incident of unnecessary deadly force, keeps the suspect's rights in mind, whether he be jaywalker or pedophile."
[X] "People like that are never popular. Not here. Not anywhere."

I can't see anyone giving you lip after being told this, not even Sakuya.
>> No. 83960
[X] "I'm the good cop."
[X] "I'm the cop who follows the regulations to the letter., makes note of every incident of unnecessary deadly force, keeps the suspect's rights in mind, whether he be jaywalker or pedophile."
[X] "People like that are never popular. Not here. Not anywhere."
>> No. 83981
“I'm the good cop.” You state, causing the woman to frown slightly in confusion. “I'm the one who follows the regulations to the letter, makes note of every incident of unnecessary force - deadly or not. I keep the suspects rights in mind, whether they be jaywalker, murderer or child molester.” You laugh lightly, hollowly. “People like that are never popular. Not here. Not anywhere.”

“Good.” The woman states. “We like unpopular people.”

You look up at her in surprise, “What?” you ask, causing her to shrug her shoulders. “But no-one here likes me, i'm just some annoying busybody they always wish they don't go on patrol with!”

“And?” Comes her reply, “Your answer was a good one. Very good. It was the wrong answer, but it was a good one. We're going to eat you alive down in YCID.”

“Eh?” You pause, not recognizing the acronym. “Y... Y C I D?”

The woman grins. It's not a nice grin, not by any stretch of the imagination. It's the sort of grin a lion might give to their next meal, shortly before ripping it's neck open. You could call it a smile, maybe, if you stretched real hard and avoided mentioning the rows of bared teeth within.

“Then let me welcome you,” she states, “To the Youkai Criminal Investigations Division.”




“This is your new place of work,” The white haired captain states, leading you into a rather unassuming red brick building. “We handle crimes specifically involving Youkai - be they the victims or the supposed criminals. I'm sure you've heard the stories of what happens when a normal officer tries to confront a criminal youkai?” You shuddered and nodded. It was an old story, dating back to when youkai were still fairly new in the world at large. From the rumors a copper had confronted a youkai, emptied a pistol's worth of rounds into them and still ended up being torn to pieces by a monster that had barely felt the bullets. Seeing your pale look Captain Tachibana smirks slightly. “You get the idea. When we do the same, however, it isn't us who goes home in a body bag.”

She leads you up, past a security desk manned by an angry looking blond girl, and up through an elevator to a mid-sized office like room. Immediately you notice girls, and a few guys, with horns, animal ears, tails and a plethora of bright and inhuman hair colors. “Is... Is everyone here a youkai?” you ask, somewhat nervously.

“Not really,” the woman replies, “We have you now after all, I'm human too, and a couple of the forensic people are as well.” She frowns slightly, “And our department director... but he's something of an ass, so it's not like we give a shit what he is beyond 'an idiot'.” Weaving around a number of desks, and waving of more than a few people intent on pressing files into her face, the captain leads you to a small cluster of desks. Two of them are empty while the other two have people sitting down working at a selection of files and computer equipment.

“Hey!” You exclaim, darting over to one of the empty desks, and more specifically a box sitting atop it. “That's my stuff!”

“Well, that is your new desk.” The captain responds, stepping past you and behind the other empty desk. “Squads are arranged in groups of four, one special lieutenant and three special sergeants, plus a dedicated forensic scientist and onmyologist. Medical examiners are shared, one per two squads. We have five squads total so thats two examiners - and this squad is unique in that we have our own private examiner - mostly because it's my squad and I'm the captain. In a pinch we're expected to share our support staff however, but we've never needed to yet.” You nod, more than a little impressed. Three medical examiners? Between five squads? In your own department there were only two between the entire division! “Good,” continues the captain, “Let me introduce you to your new partners - special sergeant Hoshiguma,” In the desk opposite you a tall, and more than a little well built, blond woman gives you a cheerful wave. Almost immediately your eye is drawn to the large red horn sticking out from her forehead.

You wave back, a nervous smile plastered across your face. “Um... nice to meet you?” The woman grins back, but doesn't reply as captain Tachibana waves her down before she can.

“Beside her there is special sergeant Nightbug.” the captain continues, gesturing to a smaller, green-haired, girl behind the other occupied desk. She merely nods once at you, causing the two antennae on her head to bob up and down for several moments.

“Um... Isn't she a little.... young?” You ask, only to be met with a glare from sergeant Nightbug and a laugh from both sergean Hoshiguma and captain Tachibana.

“Oh man! You don't know a thing about youkai, do you newbie?” Exclaims the larger blond woman. “Wriggle here is easily older than you are newbie, hell, she's been working here for what... Ten years now?” The green haired sergeant, Wriggle, nods - before glaring at sergeant Hoshiguma.

“That's still nine years longer than you have Yuugi - and I'm pretty sure that means you don't get to call me by my first name while on duty yet.” As the larger woman crosses her arms and huffs in a sulk, the green-haired girl turns to you. “Don't ever assume youkai are young unless they say they are. Most of us live for a few thousand years at least - so I can pretty much guarantee any youkai you meet is going to be at least five times older than you are.” She pauses, then shrugs. “Guess I can't blame you, I expect you got brought up on the 'youkai are just like humans' bull they teach now?” You nod, vaguely recalling having that rammed into your head repeatedly while you were at school. Wriggle - sergeant Nightbug you correct - snorts in derision. “I wish they'd stop spouting that line. Hell, I wish someone would eat the entirety of the goddamn 'youkai integration party' that came up with that crap.”

You wince somewhat as you hear sergeant Hoshiguma - Yuugi - groan and smack her head on her desk in despair. It seemed that this sergeant Nightbug was a constant complainer... and you were only given more evidence to this when captain Tachibana stood up and ordered you to follow her to the elevator, leaving the green-haired girl to complain in peace. Once the doors were closed the white-haired woman glared at you. “Don't ever give sergeant Nightbug something to complain about if you can help it. And especially don't comment on her age or how she looks. That woman has a serious image problem.” Then the captain smirks, “Still, it'll serve sergeant Hoshiguma right for playing games while i'm out and thinking I wouldn't know.”

Reaching out to the buttons beside the elevator doors, she pauses. “So, 'newbie', what was your specialization anyway? I only got your file this morning, haven't had the time to read it properly... And, hell, i'll let you decide who we meet next. Our forensic experts or our medical examiner?”

Pick an expertise:
[ ] Police Driver
[ ] Firearms Officer
[ ] Police Sniper
[ ] Dog Handler
[ ] Scene of Crime Examiner
[ ] Psychologist
[ ] Other (If suitable)

Pick a destination:
[ ] Laboratory (Forensic experts)
[ ] Morgue (Medical examiner)
>> No. 83982
The areas of expertise should be fairly obvious, but if you have a questions feel free to ask.
>> No. 83985
[ ] Firearms Officer
[ ] Morgue (Medical examiner)
- [ ] You like death. There's something about it, that nothingness beyond the edge--and so many ways to approach it--
- [ ] It is only under death that true equality is achieved. Rich or poor, young or old, the hunter and the hunted: they all become so much wormfood when they pass away.
- [ ] ...well, except for ghosts, but they're cheating.
>> No. 83994
[x] Negotiator
[x] Laboratory (Forensic experts)

I'd put "detective", but apparently that's a more general position; any officer with enough experience can hold that title, and she asked for our "specialization".

As for choosing who we meet: in real life law enforcement, professional forensics experts are generally preferable over medical practitioners, except in cases where the latter's experience is somewhat greater.
>> No. 84012
[ ] Police Sniper
See, there was this incident with the sniper rifle, and I swear I didn't make that car explode! The shot didn't go anywhere near it. And it's totally not my fault that hellicopter exploded. Honostly. Swear on it.

[ ] Laboratory

I was working in the lab, late one night. . .
>> No. 84043
File 123966572368.jpg - (454.60KB , 1400x980 , a better tomorrow touhou.jpg ) [iqdb]
84043
[x] Close protection, originally.
[x] Though, your last assignment was traffic police; she'll understand if she reads your file.
[x] Laboratory (Forensic experts)

You're a straight man, so you need a straight man job.

Top of your class in the academy, headed for big things, you got yourself into the elite Security Police Division of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police. However, the cabinet member you were assigned to as bodyguard had a few too many liaisons with underage girls for your liking. One day you decided you were through with looking the other way, and brought the issue up with your boss. The scandal blew on its own eventually, but it seemed you'd be spend the rest of your career getting transfered around to whatever the most humiliating role they could find for you. ...And why should you expect anything different this time?

What this would basically mean for us is that we'll be assigned to transport and guard youkai witnesses, suspects, and others who are in need of protective custody, and conversely human VIPs that are likely to be the target of youkai-hired hits.
>> No. 84088
As amusing as what I voted for was, I have to say that on thinking about it, >>83892 really does make for a better vote, and I'm kind of glad it won.

>onmyologist
I giggled, but that's amusingly cool.

>>83985
SO TRENDY
SO HIP
Fail.
Also, where is that from? It's familiar.
>> No. 84098
>>84088
What do you mean, "where's it from"? I made it up, so unless I stole it unconsciously, it's not from anything, really.
>> No. 84101
>>SO TRENDY
>>SO HIP
>>Fail.
>>Also, where is that from? It's familiar.

Let's be nice, now...
>> No. 84184
I think i can safely call going to the labs, but we have four expertise votes which all conflict. So... not calling until i actually have a winner.
>> No. 84186
>>84184
[x] Psychologist

I'm helping.
>> No. 84188
Must... resist urge to votespam...
>> No. 84195
[ ] Police Sniper
See, I was born with heterochromia. One eye green, one eye purple. Also, Why on EARTH would you allow the boss from the previous game to join us now, with out so much as a single compunction?
>> No. 84196
[X] Jack of all trades, but master of none
no need to choose we can do everything just not perfection level
>> No. 84204
[X] SWAT Officer
[X] Morgue
>> No. 84214
File 123977226951.jpg - (260.13KB , 700x541 , yumeko sakuya.jpg ) [iqdb]
84214
>Anon in this is a female police officer. (since I hadn't thought of alternate scenarios for a guy... haha. This is just a diversion after all.)

I keep forgetting this.

What else do we know about the protagonist:
1. Sakuya dislikes her, though she admits she has no justified reason to.
2. She's human. Or at least, as human as Sakuya is.
3. She does everything by the books.
4. She is somewhat excitable, with self-esteem issues ("annoying busybody")
5. She is unpopular.
6. She fucked up badly enough somewhere along the line that she was summarily transfered to this chicken-shit outfit.
7. She doesn't know too much about youkai.
8. She has naturally colored hair.
9. Her boss(es) don't have much faith in her abilities, but her records must at least show some promise if Sakuya was willing to accept her transfer.
10. She's not perfect.

Admit it. It would be awesome.
>> No. 84270
>>84214
>10. She's not perfect or elegant.

Fixed
>> No. 84278
Well... Sniper and Firearms/SWAT seem to be ahead, and i don't want to delay this anymore - so i'll work with it.
Writing now.
>> No. 84285
“Uh... Forensics, I guess.” You reply, shuddering slightly. Previously you had only been in a morgue, what, twice? Once at your induction as an officer where you had been required to watch an autopsy being performed - or at least watch it being started, as you recall that you had woken up after it was over in a side room with a bunch of other trainee officers who had fainted part-way through. The second time had been on your initiation into full firearms training, where you and the other prospective special weapons officers had been taken to see the effects of what you'd potentially be shooting people with. Thankfully you hadn't fainted that time, but you and the others had admitted at a later drinking session that almost all of you had come close.

“Forensics it is then.” Captain Tachibana states, stabbing one finger into a small blue button. “Numbers are offices, blue is forensics, red is the morgue, yellow is the garage and evidence vault.” she adds, gesturing to the panel. “Now, you were saying?”

You blink in confusion, then nod hastily as you realize what she's asking. “Ah! Yes! I was firearms trained ma'am! Was on my way to completing my snipers training when I took an injury and had to be dropped ma'am, I was planning on re-starting the training when the next course came up but... uh...”

“You got sent to me.” Tachibana smirks. “So you're good with guns huh?” You nod. “Excellent, aside from myself and one or two others, most of this department can't shoot for shit.”

“Ma'am?”

“It's something you're going to have to learn about Youkai sergeant. They're not human - that means they don't react to things the same way we do. A human, when in danger, will reach for a weapon - a knife, a sword, a gun... hell, even the nearest thing that they can swing or throw. It's built in to us because we're natural born tool users.” You nod, vaguely recalling highschool biology and psychology lessons which mentioned instinctual behaviors in humans. “Humans do this because the natural weapons they have, frankly, are shit. Unless you've seriously trained your fists and feet are pretty worthless - this is not the case with a Youkai. They're born with working weapons - claws, magic, poisons, that kind of thing. Inbuilt weapons they will almost always turn to first when stressed - and as a result that means most would forget they even have guns if armed, let alone remember how to aim and fire them properly.”

The elevator judders to a halt and the captain leads you out through rapidly opening doors into a white and blue foyer. “This way,” she states, leading you to a hallway off to one side. “A large number of people work here,” she explains, “but we only ever really interact with our experts. They then pass on work to the people who specialize in whatever fields of testing they need. Despite acting as a PR link between us and the forensic department, don't think that our experts are any less - they're usually considered to be the best we have.” Tachibana shrugs, “But even being the best doesn't mean a single pair can cope with the sheer volume of forensic work we need dealt with every day.”

“I see,” you respond. You'd never really thought about the manpower involved in doing a forensic test before since the closest you ever got to a forensics department before was handing an evidence bag over to a courier to take for testing.

“Our team experts are also significantly more mobile, as we can drag them out of the office whenever we need on-site forensics work done.” Stopping at one set of double doors, marked with two brass nameplates, the captain pauses for a moment. “You may experience some... coldness... from one of them.” She begins, sounding a little wary. “Not every youkai gets along with humans, but she'll be professional - if perhaps unfriendly.” There's a pause as you study the nametags, then the captain coughs and you notice a faint look of embarrassment on her face. “I would advise you not to shake their hands unless they have gloves on either, even if they offer. Both of them are somewhat... hazardous that way until they get to know you better.”

So saying she pushes one of the doors open and stamps inside, leaving you with only a moment to re-read the name plates before following.

“Medi!” The captain yells, “Where the hell are you!?” On the far end of the room, behind a large glass sliding door, you can make out the shapes of two figures hunched over a table. For a moment nothing happens and then suddenly the door slides open, just a fraction, and a small purple and red figure slips through - hovering a few feet in the air and perhaps only a handful of inches tall at most. At first you thought it was a fairy, having seen more than a few here and there throughout your life, but you quickly notice that it's too small and has no wings. Or, in fact, any features at all save those painted on as you finally realize it's a doll of some kind.

The doll hovers over to the captain, where you can see some kind of wordless conversation take place, then it turns and floats over to you, stopping only a few inches from your face.

[ ] Reaction
>> No. 84299
File 123982758178.jpg - (138.86KB , 977x977 , bondnonineunionsquare.jpg ) [iqdb]
84299
[x] Scrunch up your nose, "Captain, ma'am, did you... put on a lot of perfume today? It smells like... lily-of-the-valley."
>> No. 84310
[x] Scrunch up your nose, "Captain, ma'am, did you... put on a lot of perfume today? It smells like... lily-of-the-valley."
>> No. 84314
File 123983128128.jpg - (35.00KB , 275x800 , denise1.jpg ) [iqdb]
84314
[x] Scrunch up your nose, "Captain, ma'am, did you... put on a lot of perfume today? It smells like... lily-of-the-valley."
>> No. 84355
File 12398413052.jpg - (214.63KB , 500x600 , Forensic-Medicine.jpg ) [iqdb]
84355
As you stare at the doll, bobbing up and down just in front of your nose, you catch a whiff of something... something flowery. Sort of familiar too.

“Captain, ma'am,” you ask, looking away from the doll, “Did you... put on a lot of perfume today? It smells like...” You pause, trying to place the smell... trying... trying... You recall a field full of flowers, some place in the middle of nowhere you visited on holiday once. “... smells like lily-of-the-valley.”

The captain looks at you, one eyebrow raised, as the doll makes an exaggerated surprised pose. In the room beyond you see one of the two figures stand up suddenly, a mass of white lab coat and dusky blond hair standing ram-rod straight. “Good nose Sergeant,” the captain replies, “good nose indeed.” she repeats as the white clad figure rushes to the glass door, slides it open violently and storms out to meet the two of you.

“How the hell did you notice that!?” She demands, and you spot that under her lab coat she's dressed in purple and red shirt and slacks - the same color scheme as the doll... which now that you think about it looks an awful lot like the angry woman. Even down to the tiny joints at...

“Joints?” You mutter, slightly shocked. The angry woman looks at you as the captain slaps one hand, palm first, against her face.

“You have a problem with that... squishy?” she demands, marching within and inch of you and glaring... up? You blink. She's a lot shorter than you thought, barely coming up to your chin - and frankly you weren't exactly tall yourself. The girl continues to glare up at you, “I said, do you have a problem?” she growls. “Squishy.” she adds as an afterthought.

“Squishy?” you repeat, still somewhat taken aback by the girls obvious anger.

“Squishy.” she confirms, “Like a sack of meat, carted around on a pile of pathetic bones.” Seeing you still don't get her she growls. “Squishy.” she continues, “Like a human.”

[ ] Respond
>> No. 84366
[X] "Just surprised. I suppose it doesn't matter whether the joints are on the inside or outside; as long as they work, they're golden."
>> No. 84397
[x] Actually, you've got it backwards. It's the meat that carts the pile of pathetic bones around. You know, muscles.
>> No. 84405
[x] "Actually, you've got it backwards. It's the meat that carts the pile of pathetic bones around. You know, muscles."

I like the subtle insult in here, seeing as what Medi's job is.
>> No. 84407
[x] "Actually, you've got it backwards. It's the meat that carts the pile of pathetic bones around. You know, muscles."
>> No. 84416
[ze] "Actually, you've got it backwards. It's the meat that carts the pile of pathetic bones around. You know, muscles."

>>84355
I thought that was Medicine and Hourai in a paper bag, at first.
>> No. 84460
[x] "Actually, you've got it backwards, Bakelite. It's the meat that carts the pile of pathetic bones around. You know, muscle. You might get more of an effect if you tried 'fleshbag' or maybe 'meatsack'."
[x] "I know what you're doing: You're getting all up in my grill because you want me to push you back, and get a rash or get allergies or something. Well, that's where you're wrong Polythene Pam, because you see," Poke her. "I take my morning coffee with NyQuil." Poke her. "I flip Benadryls like pancakes." Poke her. "I mainline Tussin." Poke her. "I snort Sudafed." Poke her. "I shave my legs with Neosporin." Poke her. "I wear Cortaid to bed as a face mask." Poke her. "And I huff Vicks inhalers." Poke her. "It's my Robotripping, Nightime, Daytime, Itching, Drowsy, Sniffling, Sneezing, Coughing, Wheezing, Aching, Stuffyheaded Fever, 20% Alcohol Cocktail, So-I-Can-Rest-and-Have-a-Good-Morning Medicine."
>> No. 84668
updates
>> No. 84675
File 123999762989.jpg - (148.07KB , 850x1133 , goopy.jpg ) [iqdb]
84675
"Actually, you've got it backwards.” You respond, shooting the girl a slightly smug look. “ It's the meat that carts the pile of pathetic bones around.” her face seems to go red, but not in the same gradiented way that a human's would - it was more like someone had, while you blinked, been swapping her face for a set of progressively redder ones until they reached the desired shade. “You know, muscles."

The small doll-like girl glares at you, even hotter than before, as off to one side you spot Captain Tachibana wince. “Just who the hell do you think I am!?” the girl demands.

“Doctor Melancholy, Medicine, PhD in forensic sciences, bachelors in chemistry, biology and physics, all studied at Tokyo university.” You recite, causing Medicine to step back in surprise, her anger forgotten.

“How...” She begins, until you nod at a wall behind her, where several framed documents are pinned. She glances at them for a moment, then stares back. “I hate humans!” She declares, “And I especially hate smartass humans!”

“Medicine!” The captains voice barks out, “That's enough!”

“Ah, it probably is too Medi~” Coos a new voice, which you locate as coming from another blond woman - there were way too many blondies here you thought - who wore a simple brown and yellow dress. She had a short lab coat, more of a jacket really, and several loops of wire hung down from the bottom of it, various little tags, charms and bits of jewelry apparently hooked on to them. “Hello!” She exclaims, giving you a little wave when she notices you looking at her. “Don't mind Medi, her bark is worse than her bite.” The woman pauses for a moment, then brings a finger to her lips in thought. “Of course, her bite is really, really nasty...” she murmurs, “It's just that her bark is worse is all.”

“Yamame...” The puppet-woman growls, before the Captain shakes her head at her. “... I have better things to be doing with my time.” Doctor Melancholy states, stalking back off into the glass-doored room.

“Ahahaha,” You smile slightly as the new person, laughs. “Doctor... Kurodani?” You ask, causing her to do a little twirl.

“That's me!” She giggles, “Yamame Kurodani, resident forensic onmyologist~” The girl twirls again before walking up to you, holding one hand out in expectation. Meeting it with your own, the two of you shake hands - well, it was more like she shook hands and you simply let her do it. The girl seemed to be particularly over-enthusiastic. As she pulls her hand back she peers at you for a moment. “Hmmm... Lets get a signal off you, hm?” she mutters, reaching out and cupping her hands against your cheeks. “Low on the first two keys... understandable, you're human after all... reasonable third and fifth keys, though the fourth is somewhat below average... six and seventh are... interesting... and your final key is really strange.” Pulling back the girl looks at her hands for a moment, then turns to the captain. “You have a keeper here boss, she's got more than a splash of the spiritual in her, that's for sure.”

As she speaks you reach up and touch your cheeks... only to grimace as your fingers find something sticky covering them. With more than a little distaste you pull your hands away, only to have a line of what looks like webbing end up being trailed between your cheek and fingers. Ignoring this Yamame twirls again and smiles. “Sorry about that,” she says, “It'll burn off, so don't worry about it - my webbing gets everywhere you know, it's worse than cat fur.”


[ ] Responses
>> No. 84683
>“Sorry about that,” she says, “It'll burn off, so don't worry about it - my webbing gets everywhere you know, it's worse than cat fur.”

[x] "It'll burn off? What a coincidence! So will my face."
[x] "But seriously, it's just protein. I'll buy some powdered meat tenderizer from the local supermarket; it'll dissolve it immediately."
[x] "Since you produce silk, I guess that means you're silkworm youkai? Or maybe a hagfish?"
[x] "Now that the introductions are out of the way, can you explain what these 'keys' are?"
>> No. 84685
Webs don't burn
>> No. 84692
>>84685

But they do shrivel up and lose their ability to adhere to surfaces when dessicated (e.g., by the heat of a flame).
>> No. 84695
[X] "You're a spider youkai I presume?"
[X] "Doctor Kurodani, what exactly did you just do with my face, just now... and what did you mean by keys?"
>> No. 84696
[X] "You're a spider youkai I presume?"
[X] "Doctor Kurodani, what exactly did you just do with my face, just now... and what did you mean by keys?"
>> No. 84698
[X] "You're a spider youkai I presume?"
[X] "Doctor Kurodani, what exactly did you just do with my face, just now... and what did you mean by keys?"
>> No. 84699
[ ]Touch your hand webbed hand to her face. "Yeah, it really does get everywhere."
[ ] Smile politely.
>> No. 84702
[X] "You're a spider youkai I presume?"
[X] "Doctor Kurodani, what exactly did you just do with my face, just now... and what did you mean by keys?"
>> No. 84772
“You're a spider youkai, I presume?” You ask, trying to wipe the web off of your hand. “And can I get this stuff off without burning my face?”

Yamame smirks slightly, “Not stupid either, that's a plus.” Reaching into a pocket of her jacket, the youkai girl pulls out a small spraygun and holds it up. “One moment,” she states, “this will dissolve it right off, and i'd close your eyes if I were you - this stuff is like lemon juice, it stings like hell if it gets in them.” You give her a suspicious look for a moment before sighing and closing your eyes. Almost immediately you feel your face grow damp from a misty spray that causes the slimy web on your face to hiss slightly. Alarmed, you reach up and then grimace as your fingers fine a liquid goop in place of the sticky webs. Opening your eyes you manage to scrape some of the goop off with your fingers as Doctor Kurodani grins at you. “And now, a little soap and water and you're all done.” she declares, holding some paper towel out for you to use.

“Thankyou,” you mutter, using it to clean up as best you could. “So, what were you doing with my face anyway?” you ask, deciding that you were perhaps as clean as you were going to get without a proper shower. “And what did you mean by keys?”

At that the woman puffs up with pride. “Onmyology!” she declares, “The science of the new century, the science of magic itself!” You nod, that much you knew from school. Within a month or two of the event which had led to youkai being recognized in the world at large, a whole new branch of science had begun - Onmyology, named after the Onmyou concepts of Japan, the first nation to have embraced the new 'magic' of the world. You'd worked with a few field onmyologists in the past, but aside from waving some sticks and paper around you really had no idea what the hell they did.

“She did a spiritual scan of you.” The captain speaks out, “You would have been required to take one to work here anyway, all it does is give an overview of latent magical abilities to see if you have any we can make use of.”

“That's right, that's right.” Yamame nods, “Way back we would have simply said 'eh, you may be good at blowing crap up' but these days we have to be somewhat more specific about it.” Stepping over to a wooden board mounted to one wall, the doctor reaches out to touch it and seems to concentrate for a few moments. Slowly, as if by magic - which you supposed probably was the reason it happened - a colored graph seems to form on the surface of the board. Kind of like a computer display you thought. “This,” begins the young onmyologist, “would be the representation of your latent ability in onmyology. Each of the eight 'keys' represents a different aspect or grouping of aspects... technically each key has a whole wagonload of sub-keys which further define it but... well, testing for that can take hours and usually isn't needed.”

“Unlike DNA however, a full key graph isn't unique to one person - some variables also change a lot, which means this sort of thing usually isn't suitable as defining evidence in court.” States the captain, “Forensic Onmyology, then, is mainly focused on working out the 'how' rather than the 'who', though a close key graph match is considered probably cause for the purposes of arrests and warrants.”

“I... I didn't know that.” You murmur, feeling somewhat embarrassed.

Yamame shrugs. “I didn't expect you would. Though other departments have field onmyologists, whenever serious onmyological activity is suspected the case is usually passed on to a specific onmyou department - though given most onmyological work is done by youkai, those cases usually end up coming to YCID instead.” Pulling a long pointer stick from... somewhere... the smaller girl taps at the first two bars on your graph. “Immaterial connection and onmyou maturity.” she declares, “the first two keys. They generally indicate a direct connection to faith as well as how old your talent is. With humans, who have little need of faith and short lifespans, in relative terms, the results of these two keys are expected to be very low. All spiritual beings, youkai, gods, and everything in between, will have a much higher first key... though there are some exceptions, fairies for instance - usually beings which require minimal or even no faith, but they'll usually be caught out by having a far higher maturity than a human can.”

Reaching over to tap at the next three bars, she continues. “The next three are more about the scope of your latent power. The specifics are kind of complicated, but in short - power, control and reserves. All three can rise as you train in onmyology, but they do generally indicate an upper limit to your abilities. Frankly your natural control is atrocious, though your raw power and reserves of energy at both slightly above average.” She glances over to the captain, “I'd suggest giving her some basic emissions training, perhaps the use of amulets and tools - where her lack of natural control isn't such an issue. I doubt she'd ever make a serious combat onmyologist, but I think in a week or two we can get her to a sufficient level for basic field testing.”

The captain nods gravely. “It would take some of the pressure from Wriggle since she's been over-stretched lately, I'll look into it.”

“And lastly we come to the final three keys,” the doctor states. “In which you score absurdly high for a human... in fact, i'd be willing to put money on you having some kind of nature spirit in your family tree - a grandparent possibly. The high values of natural connection and specification are pretty good indicators of that. What this basically means is that your magical ability is aligned strongly to a particular set of elements - not exactly unusual, but these numbers are high for a pure human. Furthermore your specification rating indicates that you may actually be resistant, or even immune, to certain factors or onmyological techniques... though conversely it means you'll have a hell of a time using those techniques yourself.” Yamame shrugs, “nothing to worry about though, as field onmyology is all pretty neutral stuff. Either way I can't tell more without a detailed scan - and that would take hours.”

You nod, most of this having passed right over your head. “And... the last one?” you ask, looking at the final bar.

“That would be the HIIK key.” Captain Tachibana interjects. “Short for 'Hell If I Know'.” She glances at Yamame, “Onmyology isn't an exact science, and that key represents the vast majority of what they simply don't understand yet.” Pausing she glances down at a watch on her wrist. “And we'll have to wrap things up there.” She states, causing Yamame to glare at her, “It's almost time for lunch - and given the only place we have left to introduce you to is the morgue... Well, we do have a case in there now, and I doubt it will be pretty. We could have a look immediately, if you want, or you could grab something to eat and give me a chance to look over your file first.”


[ ] Grab Lunch
[ ] Visit Autopsy.
>> No. 84774
[x] Visit Autopsy.
Lunch before corpses? no thanks
>> No. 84776
[X] Grab Lunch
[X] Visit Autopsy.

It's called multitasking, Squeamy McSqueamerton.
>> No. 84777
[X] Visit Autopsy.
>> No. 84778
[X] Grab Lunch
[X] Visit Autopsy.

show how hardcore we are.
>> No. 84779
[X] Visit Autopsy.
>> No. 84789
[x] Grab Lunch.
[x] Visit Autopsy.

Hard as nails.
>> No. 84790
[x] Visit Autopsy.
>> No. 84911
[x] Grab Lunch.
[x] Visit Autopsy.
[x] Feel free to place your meal on the dead body if you get tired of holding it.
>> No. 84917
[x] Grab lunch at autopsy.

Ghoul youkai~
>> No. 84920
"If you pick that tomato back out and eat it, I'm going to shoot you."
>> No. 84979
Ah crap. I had called this as visit autopsy first, but forgot to tell you. Then people voted to even it... shit. I hope no-one minds that i've gone autopsy first then.
>> No. 84980
File 124033955520.jpg - (44.24KB , 400x440 , Rumi~.jpg ) [iqdb]
84980
“I... I'm not sure if i'll be able to keep my lunch if I visit the morgue afterwards.” You mutter, “I'm not all that... uhm... experienced with that kind of thing.”

“Oh, you'll learn.” The captain responds, “Unlike most departments all of our agents are expected to be familiar with autopsy proceedings. You'll get more than enough chances to get used to being down there with the bodies.” She pauses for a moment, “And the doctor of course.”

You fall silent as you follow her to the elevator, pausing only to give a polite wave goodbye to Yamame and Medicine. The former waving back and the latter simply ignoring you. Within moments you are feeling the gentle vibration of the elevator descending until it stops with a sudden jerk and the doors slide open to reveal a small room.

“This is the entrance room to autopsy,” the captain explains. “There's a double-door system here, airlockable with negative pressure.” Seeing your puzzled look the white-haired woman elaborates, “It means in an emergency, specifically involving possible contaminants or airborne disease, the morge can be given a lower air pressure than outside. This means that if the doors are opened air can only rush in and not out. The red light by the door warns if there's been contamination - you'll be properly briefed on contamination and evacuation procedures when we formally accept your transfer.”

“Does... does it happen often?” You ask, feeling a little sick in your stomach already.

“With Yamame and Medicine on our roster? Not really.” Seeing further confusion on your part, the captain shrugs lightly. “Most youkai have an individual talent, in Yamame's case it's the ability to control disease, while Medicine can control poison. In both cases they're capable of holding back and sometimes even destroying contamination by themselves.” She pauses for a moment, “Needless to say they're also immune to what they can control. That's something to keep in mind with youkai, they all have a power like that, and most of the time we won't know what it is unless we either know them already or have a high level onmyologist observe them using it.”

“Does that include sergeants Nightbug and Hoshiguma?” You ask, feeling somewhat intimidated by this information.

“Technically.” The captain responds, “Sergeant Nightbug can control insects, and Hoshiguma is an Oni - which is a youkai subtype generally known for their strength - though she claims to be able to control 'supernatural phenomena' ... whatever that means.” The woman steps smartly to a cabinet bolted to the far wall of the tiny room and, after a quick rummage, presents you with a pair of of goggles attached to a variety of head straps. “Wear it,” she states, “They're low-light vision goggles, you'll need them.”

Not wanting to question the woman as to why, you dutifully pull on the goggles and fumble for a moment before finding the power switch. Given how slim and light these were compared to the types you had used before in your firearms training, you suspected these were custom made Kappa Technology products. You didn't get much chance to think more on the subject as the captain brushed past you and through the two double doors. Immediately you followed, then through a second set of double doors which had obvious airtight seals on them. Your vision was a wash of green. Curious you pulled the goggles up for a moment, only to be met with a gloom you could barely see through.

“This wound seems consistant with a nine millimeter shot,” You hear a voice, a male one, say. “But I don't understand how such a small round would do this much damage to a youkai - at most I would have expected some heavy bruising or light penetration...”

There's silence for a few moments.

“Is that so~?”

You damn near jump out of your skin at the voice that comes from almost right on top of you. Fumbling with your goggles you manage to pull them down only to be presented with a curious looking female teenager's face only a few inches from your own. “Are you work?” She asks, in a sing-song voice, “Or lunch?”

“She's work Doctor.” Comes the captains voice, sharp and to the point. “She's our new agent. Now you be nice to her, understand? That means no tasting.”

“Awww...” The face retreats somewhat, evidently having lost interest in you. With your goggles on you're able to follow the girl owning the face around the room to a solid table with what looks like a body - a corpse you guess - laying on it. Leaning over the body is what looks to be a young man, carefully prying open the corpses jaw. “Nine millimeter was it~?” The girl asks, “You're close, but it looks like you missed the burn marks around the wound~” The man looks up, then appears to direct his attention to what you can now see is a gaping hole in one side of the body.

“Burn marks doctor?” he asks, the girl coming up beside him and poking the wound with her fingers.

“Here and here~ The pattern matches burning from anti-youkai magic~” She pauses and digs her fingers in deeper. “It tingles~” she proclaims, “That's strong magic. Expensive I bet~”

“An enchanted bullet?” You hear the captain ask. “Seems awfully expensive for what we thought was just a drive by shooting.”

“Is that so~?” The girl, the doctor, giggles. “We should call Yamame down, she can test for magic properly~”

“I'll pass the message on.” the captain replies, “In the meantime, why don't you both introduce yourselves to our new agent?”

“Fine~” the girl sing-songs again, “I'm doctor Rumia~ and this is my assistant.”

“I do have a name Doctor.” The assistant mutters, causing Doctor Rumia to turn to him and grin.

“Is that so~?”


[ ] Response
>> No. 85001
[X] Introduce yourself. Move to offer your hand but think better of it.
[X] "So, why are the lights out down here?"
>> No. 85004
[ ] "Special Sergeant...
-[ ] Kazuya, read 'One Night' (一夜)
-[ ] Sanya, read 'Three Nights' (三夜)
-[ ] Tomiyo, read 'One & Three Nights' (一三夜)
-[ ] Tooya, read 'Ten Nights' (十夜)
-[ ] Kuniyo, read 'Nine & Two Nights' (九二夜)
-[ ] Juuiya, read 'Twelve Nights' (十二夜)
-[ ] Juusanya, read 'Thirteen Nights' (十三夜)
-[ ] Mochitsuki, read 'Fifteen Nights' (十五夜)
-[ ] Kanou, read 'Seventeen Nights' (十七夜)
-[ ] Momoyo, read 'Hundred Nights' (百夜)
-[ ] Senyo, read 'Thousand Nights' (千夜)
-[x] Senichiya, read 'A Thousand & One Nights' (千一夜)
-[ ] (Write-in other last name.)
[x] "A pleasure."
[x] "You have any tips for a human grunt who knows next nothing about youkai physiology? Where do I shoot, and when do I stop shooting?"

Not giving a first name until it's asked of us. Note that these are all plays off of Izayoi, who now seems to be going by the name of Tachibana. A reaction might not mean anything to the protagonist, but it may to the readers.
>> No. 85011
[d] "Special Sergeant...
-[a] Senichiya, read 'A Thousand & One Nights' (千一夜)
[z] "A pleasure."
[e] "You have any tips for a human grunt who knows next nothing about youkai physiology? Where do I shoot, and when do I stop shooting?"
>> No. 85015
[x] Ask the assistant his name.
[x] "Special Sergeant Sawatari, Makoto. A pleasure to meet the both of you - I hope we get along well" motion to shake their hands.
[x] "It seems like I'll be spending some time down here, so may I ask if you have any tips with the forensic practices here? Any rules or guidelines I should know beforehand?"
>> No. 85018
>>85011
...Senichiya sounds oddly Russian.

I like that.
>> No. 85041
>>85015
Do not fucking want Officer Uguu.
>> No. 85046
>>85041
That's Ayu, and she uses it frequently. Makoto is Auu, and is used very rarely.
>> No. 85054
File 124053182943.jpg - (31.27KB , 426x462 , 1235453851932.jpg ) [iqdb]
85054
>>85015>>85046
ಠ_ಠ
>> No. 85064
>>85054
Can't help it. Key has forever scarred my mind.
>> No. 85082
[x] "Special Sergeant...
-[x] Senichiya, read 'A Thousand & One Nights' (千一夜)
[x] "A pleasure."
[x] "You have any tips for a human grunt who knows next nothing about youkai physiology? Where do I shoot, and when do I stop shooting?"
>> No. 85115
[x] "Special Sergeant...
-[x] Senichiya, read 'A Thousand & One Nights' (千一夜)
[x] "A pleasure."
[x] "You have any tips for a human grunt who knows next nothing about youkai physiology? Where do I shoot, and when do I stop shooting?"
>> No. 87775
HEY
>> No. 87777
>>87775
LISTEN
>> No. 87847
Any plans on continuing this?
>> No. 87912
>doctor Rumia

I love you.

Please continue this.
>> No. 87913
>>87912

Indeed.
>> No. 87933
“Aha,” You laugh lightly at the duo's comedy before holding your hand out for a handshake. “Special Segeant Senchiya,” You state, “written as 'A Thousand and One Nights'” you clarify, causing the doctor to grin.

“Is that so~” she mumbles, “A thousand and one nights would be so much fun~” She pauses and seems to frown slightly, “As long as there's none of that stupid 'daylight' in between...”

“I had noticed it was a little dark in here,” you joke which causes Rumia to frown and her assistant to smile slightly. “It's the first time I've seen an autopsy in the dark.”

The doctor levels a flat glare in your direction. “First time working with youkai too I see. You absolutely reek of fear right now. Compared to my assistant,” she nods her head in his direction, “who smells like a vase of flowers.” One corner of her mouth rises in a mean smirk. “Or rather, he smells like barbeque sauce. So tasty~” The assistant jerks upright for a moment, before slumping back down.

“Don't joke like that doctor,” he mutters, “Or I won't tell you what I made for lunch.”

Immediately Rumia's personality does an apparent one-eighty as she squeals girlishly, “Is it curry!?” She exclaims, her hands whipping up into a stereotypical 'cute' pose. “Is it!?”

“Ah... Doctor Rumia?” You cut in, the young woman giving you barely a glance as she continues to bug her assistant over the nature of the lunch he apparently made. Helpless you look over at your captain, who merely sighs, reaches over, and smacks her fist into the side of Rumia's head. “C-captain!” You exclaim, not expecting such abuse.

“She's youkai.” The captain replies, “To her that was less painful than a flick to the ear.”

“It's true~” sing-songs the doctor, “You really need to learn about youkai!” She smiles at you, “The first thing to learn is that we're way, way, way more powerful than you~”

“I have a gun you know.” Rumia laughs at your protest, and even the assistant seems to be sniggering to himself. “What?”

"Well... then... You have any tips for a human grunt who knows next nothing about youkai physiology? Where do I shoot, and when do I stop shooting?" Your question, though starting slow, comes out in a rush. Most of what you knew about youkai was either the 'equality' crap the Youkai Integration Party rammed down everyone's throats in school, or from rumors and talk you'd heard in the station offices. Hell, you'd learned more hard facts about youkai in the past hour or so than you had known for the past few years!

“Where to shoot~” Doctor Rumia ponders the question for a moment, “Pysiologically the majority of youkai are like humans for the most part,” she states, slipping into a more professional sounding tone. “Two arms, two legs, a torso and a head. All the expected organs, brain, heart, lungs, and generally all where you would find them in a human.” She nods, “So logically you would aim as you would a human, correct? For the center of mass, the torso, or for the head if a swift execution was needed.”

“That's what I was trained to do,” you respond, then decide to elaborate. “Sniper training, I didn't finish the course due to injury but I do remember what I was taught while I was there.”

“Then learn to forget it all.” pipes up the assistant as he probes at the corpse on his table with a variety of instruments. “Physically they may be similar, but appearances are pretty much where things end when it comes to youkai.” He glances over at doctor Rumia, who gives him a curt nod. “Come over here for a moment, and give this girl a poke or two.” Noticing the captain giving you an encouraging nod, you step over to the corpse - catching a pair of latex gloves the assistant tosses to you. Quickly you pull them on and stand over the corpse... It smells, frankly, awful. Not as bad as some bodies you had seen in the field, but still enough to make you gag somewhat. “Here.” You look up to see the assistant holding out a scalpel for you to take. “Go ahead, give her a stab - right her would be best as we have to cut that part open later anyway.” He points to a patch of skin a few inches from the gaping gunshot wound in the bodies abdomen. For the first time you note that the body is female and looks almost a year or two younger than you do. She also has four eyes - one set mounted above the other. Biting your lip you take the scalpel from the assistant and cut into the body...

Or at least you tried to at any rate. The skin bowed beneath the blade, but it didn't show any signs of being pierced at all. Pressing harder you finally manage to make the tip of the blade penetrate before, with a sharp crack, the metal shatters into two pieces - the handle you held and a chunk of blade that was barely piercing the youkai girl's dead flesh. You swore.

“Now do you see~?” Rumia sings, “And this is a dead youkai~ Which means no magic to reinforce it's bodily structure~” The assistant, standing opposite you, merely ducks his head.

“We use special tools on youkai,” he admits, “That scalpel wasn't one of them, it's rated for humans - quarter youkai at best.” Reaching down the man pulls out a new scalpel, one that looks to be at least twice as thick and heavy as the one you had just tried to use. “This one is rated for most youkai use, but for top level youkai - such as Oni - we'd have to be using demon-killing enchanted blades, and those are not exactly easy to come by.”

“Not to mention they just wreck onmyological evidence on a body when you use one.” Rumia adds before floating around to join the assistant on his side of the table. “You asked when to stop shooting?” She murmurs, “The answer is simple - when you run out of bullets, or when it kills you. Whichever comes first.” Shrugging lightly she gestures to the wound, “A big enough caliber weapon will hurt some levels of youkai but your standard sidearm? Forget it. You'd be better off with a solid slug shotgun or a heavy duty rifle if you really want to stop a youkai - but even that will be shrugged off by the strongest youkai.”

“We'll be getting her a Silver as soon as we can.” The captain speaks up, causing Rumia and the assistant to nod.

“Silver?” You ask, wondering what she meant.

“Silver clip.” She responds, “A clip of bullets enchanted to hurt youkai, something similar was probably used on this girl here.” The captain gestures to the corpse. “They'll upgrade your peashooter somewhat, but they're really just a stopgap until we can get you properly trained in anti-youkai methods.”

“Oh?” Rumia coos, “Not giving her a Bad Luck?”

The captain glances at you. “Thirteen millimeter high-onmyou anti-youkai pistol, or 'Bad Luck' as we call it.” she explains before looking back to the blond girl. “If we think she can handle the recoil then we have no problems giving her one - but you know anyone short of a youkai can't normally manage such a thing without risking their arm snapping.” The doctor nods thoughtfully. “Her key result was pretty good, so we might be able to give her some reinforcement onmyou training.” The captain glances at you again, “Body reinforcement through onmyology,” she explains, “Similar to what all youkai do naturally, it'll increase your speed, strength and resilience to some extent - enough to use a Bad Luck if we're lucky. If not then we have alternatives. Anyway,” she turns to the doctor, “Give me a report when the autopsy is complete - but I think I get the general idea of what we're looking at already, a drive-by shooting involving enchanted bullets... definitely not a random murder or a heist gone wrong.”
>> No. 87935
The captain and the doctor chatted for a few minutes longer, while the assistant - who's name you never did get - gave you a brief rundown of procedures involve in having an autopsy performed on demand. Thankfully he had also told you that the request forms and other paperwork was pretty much all down to whoever was in charge of the given case and that meant it was almost all your captain's responsibility.


As you, following the captain, left the morgue and entered the elevator - hanging your goggles where you had picked them up from on the way, the white-haired women looked you over critically. “So,” she asked, “Anything you want to ask before I send you off for lunch? You're not officially on the books until tomorrow, so I don't particularly care if you don't come back here until then.” She shrugs, “I would like to show you the evidence lockers, and the wreckage rooms, but they're restricted to active staff - which right now you are not, so i'll have you shown around them when you are.” There's a pause and she grimaces slightly, “Unless shit comes up before then of course, which is pretty inevitable... Things have been real quiet lately, aside from the body you saw, so I'm expecting the so called 'other shoe' to drop any day now.”


[ ] Any.... Questions?
>> No. 87976
[x] "Should I be aware of any precautions when going into public in uniform? It's bad enough as it is dealing with humans, but now that I'm in YCID, I'll be dealing with youkai. Are we... disliked enough by the general community to attract any unwarranted hostility?"
>> No. 87978
[x] "Should I be aware of any precautions when going into public in uniform? It's bad enough as it is dealing with humans, but now that I'm in YCID, I'll be dealing with youkai. Are we... disliked enough by the general community to attract any unwarranted hostility?"
>> No. 87979
[Q] "Should I be aware of any precautions when going into public in uniform? It's bad enough as it is dealing with humans, but now that I'm in YCID, I'll be dealing with youkai. Are we... disliked enough by the general community to attract any unwarranted hostility?"

Bandwagon
>> No. 87994
[X] "Should I be aware of any precautions when going into public in uniform? It's bad enough as it is dealing with humans, but now that I'm in YCID, I'll be dealing with youkai. Are we... disliked enough by the general community to attract any unwarranted hostility?"
>> No. 88009
[ze] "Should I be aware of any precautions when going into public in uniform? It's bad enough as it is dealing with humans, but now that I'm in YCID, I'll be dealing with youkai. Are we... disliked enough by the general community to attract any unwarranted hostility?"
>> No. 88023
[X] "Should I be aware of any precautions when going into public in uniform? It's bad enough as it is dealing with humans, but now that I'm in YCID, I'll be dealing with youkai. Are we... disliked enough by the general community to attract any unwarranted hostility?"

wandbagon
>> No. 88195
“Should I be aware of any precautions when going into public in uniform?” You ask, remembering more than a few incidents which had been sparked off simply because you were a cop. “It's bad enough as it is dealing with humans, but now that I'm in YCID, I'll be dealing with youkai. Are we... disliked enough by the general community to attract any unwarranted hostility?”

The captain looks at you and shrugs lightly. “Yes and no.” She replies, “Humans are scared of us - because as long as we're in uniform we're expected to be tangling with youkai, which means we're fully allowed to defend ourselves with lethal force if need be. There is nothing in that rule which states it isn't applicable to our dealings with humans too.”

“... doesn't it get a bit weird to be saying 'humans' all the time?” It seemed weird to you at least, what with the both of you being human yourselves. “I mean, I can understand the youkai doing it but...”

“Oh, you're a youkai too.” The captain responds, “Legally at least, the minute you were transferred to our department in fact. The variations in how the law applies to humans and youkai are different enough that in a place like this it's simply easier to change your legal status - though it only really applies while you're on active duty.” She sighs, “As to the rest of your question - most Youkai don't give a damn about us. It's only really the crazies - human and youkai - who make up all those goddamn 'activist groups' that you want to worry about.”

“Uh, I thought some of them had pretty good motives?” You run through your mind, having been a policewoman for some time you had already experienced a few run ins with activists... but you didn't particularly recall any pro- or anti- youkai groups. “Humans for Youkai?” You say at last, “They seem pretty good.”

“Until you realize that I, and now you, rank pretty high on their list of people to dislike.” The captain shrugs, “Because we're human they assume that half the actions we take against Youkai are down to some kind of personal bias. I must get a few hundred letters of complaint from them alone... and naturally they just love to provide free lawyers to damn near any youkai taken in by a human officer.” Grinding her teeth for a moment, the Captain sighs, “At least the H.Y are better than Y.A.F and D.E.S.U, those two are the real pains.”

“Y.A.F?” You mutter, “I think I've heard of them. Youkai Advocates for Freedom, right?” You frown slightly, “Don't know of D.E.S.U though.”

“Demon Extermination Supporters Union.” The captain recites, “A bunch of fanatics who believe all youkai need to be exterminated. I've only had a few dealings with them, and all have left a sour taste in my mouth. For the most part they shouldn't worry you, as long as you're not arresting another human for, say, murdering a youkai - then they get pissy. They've been trying to have the law altered to make killing youkai no longer a crime. Hardly surprising since I'm sure that more than a few such killings are connected to their organization... not that we've been able to prove it.”

“And the Y.A.F?” You prompt.

“Just as bad, but where D.E.S.U is anti-youkai, Y.A.F is the other way. For the most part they're likely to be more a problem to me - because I'm in charge. They really don't like it when humans outrank youkai. Thankfully they don't seem to be quite as militant as D.E.S.U members are but it's only a matter of time before someone starts something.” The elevator's bell rings as it comes to a stop. As the doors slide open the captain claps her hand on your shoulder. “And this is it for now.” She states, “Go get yourself some lunch, have a good half-day off, and report at the security desk in the morning so I can bring you your new badge and access cards.”

“Yes ma'am.” you reply, hustling out of the elevator, then turning to give her a quick salute before heading off.



“A new dress?” The security guard, the blond you had barely taken notice off the day before, sat at her desk as she chatted to what looked like one of the forensics people. “How does she even afford it? I'm so jealous...” She breaks off at the sound of a loud beep, and looks over to the front security door. Idly you follow her line of sight to see a fairly paniced looking man leaning over to the speaker at the side of the door. Moments later the door hissed open, controlled by the guard at her desk. “What do you want?” The guard calls out, “You said it was an emergen-”

“There's been a murder!” The man yells, and you suddenly realize that the sleeves of his jacket are rust-red with drying blood.


[ ] Action



here's how YCID works - you're not some super detective solving every crime just by looking - so don't try to be. You can have input, and actions, but your co-workers are, frankly, just as good as you are if not better. Think of YCID as more of a 'slice of life... with the background of law'. If you don't understand, then go watch something like NCIS, CSI, Numbers, or any other crime-solving type show - you'll soon see that as much, and often more, weight is given to interpersonal drama as is given to the actual crime. Your actions are your actions.
>> No. 88201
[x] Try to calm the man down.
[x] Get as much information as you can about this 'murder'.
[x] Have this reported immediately. Be on standby just in case they send you.

>“At least the H.Y are better than Y.A.F and D.E.S.U, those two are the real pains.”
You, you... Oh you.
>> No. 88208
>“A new dress?” The security guard, the blond you had barely taken notice off the day before, sat at her desk as she chatted to what looked like one of the forensics people. “How does she even afford it? I'm so jealous...” She breaks off at the sound of a loud beep, and looks over to the front security door. Idly you follow her line of sight to see a fairly paniced looking man leaning over to the speaker at the side of the door. Moments later the door hissed open, controlled by the guard at her desk. “What do you want?” The guard calls out, “You said it was an emergen-”

[x] Tell the guard to call an ambulance, and then the regular police homicide unit, since you don't yet know whether this will be a YCID matter.
[x] The most important information concerns safety of the public; catching the bad guy is secondary.
-[x] Grab the man's hands (the blood is evidence, but also a possible health hazard, so you need to collect the sample before they are washed off), ask the man if he is injured, and if so, if this is his blood. If he is injured, or in a state of trauma, he'll need to be treated for it when the paramedics arrive.
-[x] Ask him the location of the victim. If he is uninjured and he claims the perpetrator had fled, tell him to take you directly there. Tell the guard to relay the scene location to the EMTs and regular police when they arrive.
-[x] If there's any doubt as to whether the perpetrator could still be in the area, you'll want to have your firearm drawn as you approach.
-[x] Check vitals on the victim and perform CPR if you have any first response training and if there's any possibility the victim may be alive or may be resuscitated (which may especially be the case if the victim is youkai) allow the EMTs to take him or her away.
-[x] The area is now a crime scene and needs to be cordoned off. Do not leave the scene, unless you spot the possible suspect.
-[x] If he is uninjured, take a statement from the witness. Ask if he, the victim, or the perpetrator was a youkai. Name, address, whether he witnessed the murder or only came across the body, approximate time of discovery, any changes he may have made to the scene (noting the blood-stained hands), any relationship to the victim or suspect, how he came across the victim.
-[x] If the crime was recent and you have a description of the suspect, you should request an APB on the described murder suspect from radio dispatch.
-[x] If it doesn't seem a YCID matter, hand off the scene and witness to the regular police whenever they arrive. This is their job.
-[x] Otherwise, detain the witness and don't meddle with anything until you can hand him and the scene over to a more senior investigator.
-[x] If the man had been taken in for treatment, the blood on your hands, wipe it off onto tissue or paper towel, then bag it for evidence. Otherwise, you can simply wash it off.

The crime might not fall under our ultimate jurisdiction, but until that is determined and we are relieved by the appropriate authority, we are a police officer with a duty to respond to an apparent crime.
>> No. 88231
>>88208

This.
>> No. 88232
[Q] >>88208

You basically outlined his next update. Hope fully that makes it come sooner.
>> No. 88239
>>88208
And here I was assuming that the writefag would fill in the blanks. I just hope this doesn't lead to overestimating our authority. There are other officers here, all our seniors.
>> No. 88247
[ze] >>88208
and with >>88239 's concerns.
>> No. 88252
>I just hope this doesn't lead to overestimating our authority. There are other officers here, all our seniors.

I'd hoped this would be accounted for in:

>-[x] If it doesn't seem a YCID matter, hand off the scene and witness to the regular police whenever they arrive. This is their job.
>-[x] Otherwise, detain the witness and don't meddle with anything until you can hand him and the scene over to a more senior investigator.

Responding to a crime is the duty of any peace officer, no matter their rank, office, or title.
>> No. 88256
[ze] >>88208
and with >>88239 's concerns.
Thirded
>> No. 88281
>>88256
Learn to use ">".
>> No. 88962
updates?