[Return]
Archived Thread

File 123795538495.jpg - (761.38KB , 561x752 , VaultBoyJapan.jpg ) [iqdb]
81128 No. 81128
>[x] <Speech> Play to Ren’s fantasies. Have Dai amplify your voice as through a bullhorn, “WE KNOW YOU’RE IN THERE USAMI!”

Ren wants to play out a mob movie or police drama, so why not just humor her?
“Dai,” you whisper, “You know that Commissioner Gordon thing you did yesterday?”
The Pip-Fairy cracks a smile. “Yeah, why?”
“Well, I want to do that, but on a larger scale.”
“Uh, well, alright. There’s some security fairies in the area, I could broadcast orders over the security band…”
“No, no, that can’t work; I’m not a security officer.”
“Don’t worry about it. And… processing… now you’re Special Officer ‘Max McLovin,’ answerable only to the Overseer! You’re undercover now, so when they swarm, just pretend like you belong there!”
You start moving away from the building, so you can yell at Dai without giving yourself away. “Actually, Dai, I think I’d rather—“
“Well too bad because I started anyway!”
Dai’s voice is interrupted by… Dai’s voice over the secure radio channel, which you thought your Pip-Boy couldn’t tune to. Huh.
“Main Force Patrol to Security Team Able One One. Able One One, do you copy? Over.”
“Copy, Main Force Patrol, this is Able One One, we read you five-by-five. Go ahead. Over.”
You don’t know exactly what they’re saying, but it doesn’t prevent a terrible sinking feeling in your gut. Oh God.
“Copy, Able One One, we have a 10-31, 10-32, 10-57 in progress—repeat 10-31, 10-32, 10-57 in progress—block 11-6, address 0-251. Suspect is an Asian 20-something female with an unloaded handgun. Hostage situation. Code 3—repeat code 3. 10-61 Special Officer McLovin plainclothes is on scene. Report to Special Officer McLovin at scene. Use of [i]danmaku-level force is authorized. Over.”[/i]
“Willco. ETA 10 minutes.”
“Copy, Able One One. Main Force Patrol, out.”
Unloaded handgun?”
“What, you think I would let someone run around with a handgun unchecked? Please Max, I may be the cause and solution to all the problems in your life, but I am also the Vault AI. Two hundred years, and not a single life lost… due to the use of a weapon… that I had covertly distributed to a specific individual. Heh.”
“Then why didn’t you just call the police to begin with?” you ask, incredulous.
“Because that wouldn’t be any fun! Ah, but really, there is a reason I’m making you do this crap. I can’t be your safety net out there; you need these dry runs until I’m convinced you can resolve sticky situations!”
“You wanted this to happen? I hate you. I hate you.”
“You don’t mean that; you really don’t mean that,” Dai rushes her words out, “I have all the faith in the world in you. You should be hearing sirens any moment now…”
There they are, you can hear them, and you look down the ‘street’ to see the
red-and-blue klaxons of an approaching security wagon. Well, shit.
“…I got to cut out now, but the microphones on Yue’s and Ren’s Pip-Boys should start coming through.”
“Dai!”
Gone. Replaced by the sounds of Ren’s barely audible muttering and stomping, until you start hearing the sirens through the microphone.
“...aw cheese it, the fuzz…”
The security wagon pulls around and half a dozen heavily-armed fairy security officers pile out clumsily, at least one tripping and falling on its face, dropping her laser rifle. The last person is a human woman, apparently their officer, though she’s dressed in a kimono and carries an archaic jitte, which both clash loudly with the riot helmet she’s wearing. She looks around nervously until she spots you, and you then wave her over.
“Special Officer McLovin?”
You nod. The woman attempts to salute with the hand holding the jitte, and hits herself on the helmet with a thump.
“Ow! Um,” she continues earnestly, “Chief Inspector Kotohime. Can you bring me up to speed on the situation?”
You return the salute and she drops it. “Ah, yes, inspector. Perp is one ‘Renko Usami’ the leader of a gang of delinquents called the Tunnel Snakes.”
“Oh, yes, we’ve had run-ins with the group occasionally, but for one of them to do something like this…”
“As you can see from the jacket, I’d infiltrated their group as part of an operation to keep tabs on them. I followed Usami here, so I’m reasonably sure she’s not acting in concert with other members.”
“Any demands or a possible motive?”
You shake your head. “Haven’t made contact yet, was waiting for backup; you have a bullhorn?”
“Of course! Sergeant Frisca?”
“Sir!” One of the fairies, whose sleeve insignia sports one chevron more than the others’, salutes the inspector’s back.
“Get McLovin the bullhorn.”
Sergeant Frisca sets her rifle against the side of the wagon, and starts rifling through the trunk, standing on her tiptoes to do so. You didn’t realize it was possible for Kevlar to fit so snugly, but then again you rarely see fairies in clothing that isn’t a few sizes too big for them. Well, you’re not here to check out fairy ass, so you turn back to watch the container. The door is slightly ajar, one of Ren’s eyes peeking out of it at the spectacle. When she notices you’ve spotted her, you give her a smile, at which point she promptly closes the door with a snap.
Her voice comes in through your Pip-Boy: “...oh boy… this is a jam… you’ve really done it this time, Ren… was that Max out there? …this is flip city…”
You turn to Inspector Kotohime, who has decided to match your smile with her own, though she makes nervous glances at your Pip-Boy and—oh, Sergeant Frisca is at your side holding up the bullhorn for you to take. Sorry.
“Thank you, sergeant.”
The fairy nods to you and falls back in line with the others, grasping her rifle in both hands again. You look back at the inspector, who is holding her hands behind her back now; seems like she can’t decide whether she outranks you or not.
“I have a tap on Usami’s Pip-Boy,” you clarify for her. “I’ll need to requisition a sidearm as well.”
Kotohime nods and reaches inside her kimono to retrieve her laser pistol, which you take, checking to make sure it is set to danmaku.
“…mother always said I’d be a dead-end kid… well at least I’ll go out with a bang… watch closely now, little rabbit… Renko Usami exits the stage… the Black Lotus enters… and there will not be a repeat performance…”
“Have your men surround the container, Inspector. I’ll attempt negotiations at the front, but keep in mind that my cover’s been blown and that Usami is a highly volatile individual.”
Kotomine accepts your assessment and starts giving signals and orders to the fairies to positions.
You bring up the bullhorn: “RENKO USAMI. THIS IS VAULT SECURITY. WE HAVE YOU SURROUNDED. DROP YOUR WEAPON AND COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP.”
“On what charges, you dirty rat fucking bastard!” Her voice comes out clearly through both the Pip-Boy and from behind the cellophane-panel door.
“WE ALREADY HAVE YOU ON ILLEGAL POSSESSION OF A FIREARM, KIDNAPPING, BREAKING & ENTERING, AND ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY WEAPON. LET’S NOT ADD MORE TO THIS LIST, REN.”
“Fuck you, bronze! Fuck your nutjob fairy! Fuck your druggie shrine maiden! Fuck your quack rabbit! You betrayed me, you cockroach! Entrapment! I even slept with you, you scum-sucking whore! Well, it ain’t Renko Usami no more; it’s the Black Lotus! So come and get what’s coming to you, you son of a bitch!”
Letting the bullhorn down for a moment, you sigh, shruggin off the weight of Ren’s enraged epithets and the stares of the inspector and the gathering crowd. Well, this is just making matters worse.
“Inspector, have your men ready to swarm on my signal,” you tell the Inspector, aside.
“REN, THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE. EITHER YOU COME OUT OR I’M COMING IN.”
“You’re a daisy if you do, bronze!”

>> No. 81133
File 123795583846.jpg - (517.40KB , 593x600 , kotohime jutte med.jpg ) [iqdb]
81133
You nod to the inspector, who then gives the go ahead over the radio. You run up to the entrance, pistol ready with a bead on the closed doorway. Kotohime follows armed with only her jitte, to the left side of the door. Sergeant Frisca is already in position to the right side. There’s an explosion of light and sound—a stun grenade most likely—followed by a scream, and Kotohime pushes the unlatched sliding door open completely with a deft flick of her nightstick. The inside is smoky, with scattered papers and objects on the floor, Ren is shielding her eyes with one hand, the other points a gun in your direction.
“Freeze!” yells little Frisca in a voice louder than you’d expect from a fairy, entering the room first, you, and then Kotohime following.
Ren shakes her head and reorients her handgun toward the sound, “You’ll never get me alive, pigs!”
“Take her down!” Frisca opens fire, weapon emitting a fizzing noise as a red bolt strikes Renko in the chest, followed by half-a-dozen more, from the other fairies having broken through side entrances apparently. You however don’t pull the trigger, expecting the barrage to be more than adequate. However, Ren does not go down—staggered and confused, but still standing and in control of her faculties, despite the fact that she should be in an unbearable amount of pain.
The sound of a real bullet being fired, surprising everyone but Ren. Sergeant Frisca falls to her knees, with her hand over her gut, dropping her weapon. Smiling madly at her handiwork, Renko points the gun at you next, “See you in the funny pages, Max!”
Click. Confusion.
Click, click, click. Frustration. Rack, tap—
Renko crumples to the floor with a groan. Kotohime stands above her unmoving form, knuckles white from gripping her jitte so tightly, simmering in silent fury. Two of the fairy officers rush over to Frisca, who is hunched over in pain. A third starts barking for an ambulance over her Pip-Boy radio. The other two handcuff Renko and pat her down for weapons.
You hear a muffled cry to your left. Yue Inaba is staring at you intently, bound to a chair and with a lollipop duct taped over her mouth. You tear the tape off, wincing for rabbit girl (as she does not), who then spits out the sucker. You take out Ren’s switchblade and saw through the ropes tying her arms to the back of her chair. She moves as soon as the ropes come off, all but jumping over you to make her way to the fallen fairy, yelling at the other officers to back off and fetch her supplies from around the clinic room. Ren looks to be totally unconscious from the blow the inspector gave her.
You hear the rabbit’s voice calling out, who waves you over and hands you a pre-loaded syringe—“Naloxone HCl 2mg/2mL”—and a disinfectant swab, pointing over at Renko and giving you a silent order before returning to her examination of the crying fairy.
Mimicking Mary’s administration yesterday, you kneel over Ren, taking the sucker out of her mouth, muttering, “We’ll have you fixed up in a jiff.” Uncapping the needle, you look up at Kotohime, who is still quite angry, but also curious as to what you’re doing.
“The reason the danmaku attacks didn’t take her down was because she had stolen those,” you point to the lollipop on the floor, “from the clinic supplies, narcotics, rendering her delirious and all but immune to pain. Your men couldn’t have known. Moreover, it was faulty information that I provided that lead to your officer being shot. I’d emptied the magazine at an earlier juncture, but she apparently had one round chambered. I’m just glad you were able to take her down before your officers needed to use lethal force.” You swab her arm roughly with the pad and stick the needle into the muscle, drawing slightly to take up some blood, then pushing down on the plunger to give her the injection.
>> No. 81134
File 123795596178.jpg - (319.60KB , 1230x1741 , clinic room.jpg ) [iqdb]
81134
She doesn’t regain consciousness, but at least you can be sure she won’t die now from respiratory arrest. You stand up, looking back at Kotohime, who is looking at the injured and crying fairy, vacillating over how she feels about the situation, but you’re saved by Dai radioing in over the secure band:
“Special Officer Mclovin, Special Officer Mclovin. Come in, Special Officer Mclovin. This is Main Force Patrol. Do you copy? Over.”
“Copy Main Force Patrol, this is Special Officer Mclovin. Go ahead. Over.”
“Sitrep, copy? Over.”
“Copy. Officers on scene, one officer down, medical attention is being provided on scene. Suspect has been apprehended. Suspect is unconscious and is also receiving medical attention on scene. Over.”
“Copy. Ambulance request is recalled. Special Officer McLovin will stay on scene to detain the suspect and the witness until sufficient medical care is provided, and to collect evidence from the scene. Chief Inspector Kotohime is to hand over custody of suspect to Special Officer McLovin. Able One One is to return to regular patrol duties. Good work all of you. Main Force Patrol, out.”
“Inspector, I am so—”
“It’s okay,” she clasps a surprisingly strong hand clasps your shoulder (though it really should be no surprise, given how easily she cold-cocked Ren), and looks at you with the reassuring eyes of someone who knows what they’re doing—they’re the color of red burgundy. “McLovin, I won’t hold it against you that you froze because your girlfriend was about to gun you down. Every one of my officers is prepared for the worst. And besides, how could I grudge against someone named ‘McLovin’? Ohohohoho!” She attempts to muffle her guffawing with a sleeve of her kimono. What an odd woman.
“Doctor, how is my officer?”
“She’ll be fine. The armor protected her completely from the bullet. She has an abdominal contusion from the impact, but fairies are very hardy; I’ll keep her here for observation, but she should be fit for duty by tomorrow afternoon.”
“And Usami?”
“A mild concussion and an opiate overdose, which was reversed by the antidote ‘Special Officer McLovin’ administered; if she goes into withdrawal, however, it could take a week until I can discharge her.”
“Very well, I’ll leave handling the rest of this to you, McLovin. Including the paperwork,” she adds with a wink.
“Sir!” You give her a salute which she takes her helmet off to return, letting down a length of dark red, almost maroon, hair tied back by a yellow ribbon—quite striking given her Asian features and clothes. It’s some time after she turns away that you have enough presence of mind to stop saluting. A very odd woman, you don’t entirely know what to make of her.
The security fairies pile into the back of the wagon and take off, sirens eventually fading. You allow yourself a sigh of relief and sit down in the chair the doctor had been bound to previously. The rabbit and the other officers had gotten Ren and Frisca onto beds, Ren handcuffed to her. Ren you can see is still unconscious, while Frisca Dr. Yue has wheeled off through a door on your right. Now that you have time to look around, the facility is actually much larger than it appears on the outside, it seems that it’s actually at least four containers that have had doorways cut out between them, and there’s a spiral staircase that seems to lead up into another container, probably the doctor’s living quarters. You can see the glow of a computer terminal in the darkened container-room opposite the entrance, where the stairwell is, likely an office; in the right container appears to be more beds and medical equipment, where Yue has drawn the curtains around herself and the fairy; the left container appears to be for storage of medical supplies. The reception area you’re sitting down contains scattered papers, including Ren’s poetry, the emptied handgun, a length of cut rope, two sticky fentanyl lollipops, a bloodied scalpel, a rubber mouth-gag shaped like carrot (ha), and a handcuffed Renko, who seems to have resuscitated, as she’s started to groan.

[ ] Go see Dr. Yue.
- [ ] Ask how Officer Frisca is doing. Other than that, wait for her to start doing the talking.
- [ ] Tell her the truth; show her Dai. Ask her if and why she tried to kill you.
- [ ] Intimidate her with your weapon, demand an explanation of why she tried to kill you.
- [ ] <Speech> Attempt to convince Yue that you really are Special Officer McLovin; your hospitalization yesterday was part of a ruse to lure Renko into a false sense of security.
- [ ] <Guns> Knock her out with the pistol on danmaku; you need to wait for Renko awaken to bring her to a more secure location to interrogate her.
- [ ] <Magic> Knock her out with a sleep spell; you need to wait for Renko awaken to bring her to a more secure location to interrogate her.
- [ ] Write-in.
[ ] Attempt to rouse Renko.
- [ ] Tell her that you got her into this, and you’re going to get her out of it.
- [ ] Tell her that she deserves to be put away for a long time for this. She tried to kill you!
- [ ] Ask her just what the fuck she thought she was doing.
- [ ] Write-in.
[ ] Collect the ‘evidence’ lying around; that’s what you’re supposed to be doing, right?
- [ ] <Sneak> Look around for any useful medical supplies or chems.
- [ ] <Sneak> Go through the doctor’s paper documents for anything relevant or incriminating.
[ ] Ren used to keep bobby pins in her hair, just behind her ears; take them.
- [ ] <Lockpick> Pick her handcuffs.
- [ ] <Sneak, Lockpick> Look around for any safes or locked cabinets to break into.
[ ] <Science & Repair> Hack into the terminal in the back room.
[ ] Get Dai on the line.
- [ ] “I was almost killed because of you! That’s the third time in three days!”
- [ ] “Well, what do you want me to do now? Or is this all going according to plan?”
- [ ] Write-in.



Saved Yue Inaba +150 Karma

Lots of options. Pick as many as you think reasonable. Next post will likely be another wall.
>> No. 81138
[x] Ren used to keep bobby pins in her hair, just behind her ears; take them.
- [x] <Lockpick> Pick her handcuffs.
[x] Attempt to rouse Renko.
- [x] Ask her just what the fuck she thought she was doing.
[x] Collect the ‘evidence’ lying around; that’s what you’re supposed to be doing, right?
- [x] <Sneak> Look around for any useful medical supplies or chems.
[x] Go see Dr. Yue.
-[x] "Why the hell did you try kill me yesterday with that goddamn lollipop? You think I'm a fucking junkie or something?"

>McLovin

Sounds like a sexy hamburger.
>> No. 81141
>The rabbit and the other officers had gotten Ren and Frisca onto beds, Ren handcuffed to her.
>her

Goddammit. "Hers" as in "her bed".
>> No. 81143
[x] Ren used to keep bobby pins in her hair, just behind her ears; take them.
- [x] <Lockpick> Pick her handcuffs.
[x] Attempt to rouse Renko.
- [x] Ask her just what the fuck she thought she was doing.
[x] Collect the ‘evidence’ lying around; that’s what you’re supposed to be doing, right?
- [x] <Sneak> Look around for any useful medical supplies or chems.
[x] Go see Dr. Yue.
-[x] "Why the hell did you try kill me yesterday with that goddamn lolipop? You think I'm a fucking junkie or something?"

Sure is a good thing we didn't put Ren to sleep with magic
>> No. 81146
> -[x] "Why the hell did you try kill me yesterday with that goddamn lolipop? You think I'm a fucking junkie or something?"

>>78089
>“Tell you what, you give me another 4 mg of that lazy-pam, I’ll sign whatever the hell you want me to.”

Oh I dunno...
>> No. 81148
Pretty sure she gave us a lot more than what we asked for
>> No. 81149
>>81148

>>78556
>“The ‘lollipop’ that Dr. Yue gave to me was… exactly what she said it was, a powerful opiate narcotic eighty times more potent than morphine.”
>> No. 81154
Considering how all the options regarding her outline doing something to her for trying to kill us, I'd be more inclined to say it holds at least some ground
>> No. 81157
>>81154

>>78089
>“Now, Mr. Rockatansky, what would you say to me giving this to you, in return for you promising me that you will never, ever be re-admitted to this practice for something as egregiously stupid as overdosing on Flintstone vitamins, Tylenol, and birth control pills?”

Get into her mindset here. Here's a dumbass that just did that. He must have been doing this a lot to get so desperate for it to come to this.

The only thing you can reprimand Dr. Yue for is giving the lolipop with the intention of driving away another idiot from her clinic. Not for trying to kill you.
>> No. 81160
[x] Ren used to keep bobby pins in her hair, just behind her ears; take them.
- [x] <Lockpick> Pick her handcuffs.
[x] Attempt to rouse Renko.
- [x] Ask her just what the fuck she thought she was doing.
[x] Collect the ‘evidence’ lying around; that’s what you’re supposed to be doing, right?
- [x] <Sneak> Look around for any useful medical supplies or chems.
[x] Go see Dr. Yue.
-[x] "Why the hell did you try kill me yesterday with that goddamn lolipop? You think I'm a fucking junkie or something?"
>> No. 81172
And now those lollipops are behind two people needing injections or else they'd die. Those lollipops would sent most people to the morgue by the end if they weren't prepared for it.
>> No. 81174
are rabbits fuckin immune to narcotics or something? why is she still walkin around?
>> No. 81175
Probably built up a tolerance over the years having to deal with bad cases and the subsequent dipping into of the supplies
>> No. 81185
I vote in favor of a slight rephrase, coupled with a quick addition:

[x] Go see Dr. Yue.
-[x] "I've got a good idea why, but tell me anyway: what the fuck were you thinking, giving me candy that damn near killed me?"
-[x] <Speech> Even if she assumed you were a junkie with high drug tolerance, what she did was bad, and she should feel bad. Make it so. Maybe the guilt-trip will help get a straight answer out of her.

I don't really care what else gets picked... but I think this needs to be said/done.
>> No. 81186
[x] Ren used to keep bobby pins in her hair, just behind her ears; take them.
- [x] <Lockpick> Pick her handcuffs.
[x] Attempt to rouse Renko.
- [x] Ask her just what the fuck she thought she was doing.
[x] Collect the ‘evidence’ lying around; that’s what you’re supposed to be doing, right?
- [x] <Sneak> Look around for any useful medical supplies or chems.
[x] Go see Dr. Yue.
-[x] "I've got a good idea why, but tell me anyway: what the fuck were you thinking, giving me candy that damn near killed me?"
-[x] <Speech> Even if she assumed you were a junkie with high drug tolerance, what she did was bad, and she should feel bad. Make it so. Maybe the guilt-trip will help get a straight answer out of her.

I'll run with this.
>> No. 81187
[x] Ren used to keep bobby pins in her hair, just behind her ears; take them.
- [x] <Lockpick> Pick her handcuffs.
[x] Attempt to rouse Renko.
- [x] Ask her just what the fuck she thought she was doing.
[x] Collect the ‘evidence’ lying around; that’s what you’re supposed to be doing, right?
- [x] <Sneak> Look around for any useful medical supplies or chems.
[x] Go see Dr. Yue.
-[x] "I've got a good idea why, but tell me anyway: what the fuck were you thinking, giving me candy that damn near killed me?"
-[x] <Speech> Even if she assumed you were a junkie with high drug tolerance, what she did was bad, and she should feel bad. Make it so. Maybe the guilt-trip will help get a straight answer out of her.
>> No. 81188
[x] Ren used to keep bobby pins in her hair, just behind her ears; take them.
- [x] <Lockpick> Pick her handcuffs.
[x] Attempt to rouse Renko.
- [x] Ask her just what the fuck she thought she was doing.
[x] Collect the ‘evidence’ lying around; that’s what you’re supposed to be doing, right?
- [x] <Sneak> Look around for any useful medical supplies or chems.
[x] Go see Dr. Yue.
-[x] "I've got a good idea why, but tell me anyway: what the fuck were you thinking, giving me candy that damn near killed me?"
-[x] <Speech> Even if she assumed you were a junkie with high drug tolerance, what she did was bad, and she should feel bad. Make it so. Maybe the guilt-trip will help get a straight answer out of her.
>> No. 81190
[x] Ren used to keep bobby pins in her hair, just behind her ears; take them.
- [x] <Lockpick> Pick her handcuffs.
[x] Attempt to rouse Renko.
- [x] Ask her just what the fuck she thought she was doing.
[x] Collect the ‘evidence’ lying around; that’s what you’re supposed to be doing, right?
- [x] <Sneak> Look around for any useful medical supplies or chems.
[x] Go see Dr. Yue.
-[x] "I've got a good idea why, but tell me anyway: what the fuck were you thinking, giving me candy that damn near killed me?"
-[x] <Speech> Even if she assumed you were a junkie with high drug tolerance, what she did was bad, and she should feel bad. Make it so. Maybe the guilt-trip will help get a straight answer out of her.
>> No. 81196
[x] Ren used to keep bobby pins in her hair, just behind her ears; take them.
- [x] <Lockpick> Pick her handcuffs.
[x] Attempt to rouse Renko.
- [x] Ask her just what the fuck she thought she was doing.
[x] Collect the ‘evidence’ lying around; that’s what you’re supposed to be doing, right?
- [x] <Sneak> Look around for any useful medical supplies or chems.
[x] Go see Dr. Yue.
-[x] "I've got a good idea why, but tell me anyway: what the fuck were you thinking, giving me candy that damn near killed me?"
-[x] <Speech> Even if she assumed you were a junkie with high drug tolerance, what she did was bad, and she should feel bad. Make it so. Maybe the guilt-trip will help get a straight answer out of her.
>> No. 81197
[x] Ren used to keep bobby pins in her hair, just behind her ears; take them.
- [x] <Lockpick> Pick her handcuffs.
[x] Attempt to rouse Renko.
- [x] Ask her just what the fuck she thought she was doing.
[x] Collect the ‘evidence’ lying around; that’s what you’re supposed to be doing, right?
- [x] <Sneak> Look around for any useful medical supplies or chems.
[x] Go see Dr. Yue.
-[x] "I've got a good idea why, but tell me anyway: what the fuck were you thinking, giving me candy that damn near killed me?"
-[x] <Speech> Even if she assumed you were a junkie with high drug tolerance, what she did was bad, and she should feel bad. Make it so. Maybe the guilt-trip will help get a straight answer out of her.
>> No. 81205
>>81174
This is THP. Please act accordingly.

[x] Collect the ‘evidence’ lying around; that’s what you’re supposed to be doing, right?
- [x] <Sneak> Look around for any useful medical supplies or chems.
[x] Go see Dr. Yue.
-[x] "I've got a good idea why, but tell me anyway: what the fuck were you thinking, giving me candy that damn near killed me?"
-[x] <Speech> Even if she assumed you were a junkie with high drug tolerance, what she did was bad, and she should feel bad. Make it so. Maybe the guilt-trip will help get a straight answer out of her.
[x] Ren used to keep bobby pins in her hair, just behind her ears; take them.
- [x] <Lockpick> Pick her handcuffs.
[x] Attempt to rouse Renko.
- [x] Ask her just what the fuck she thought she was doing.

Let's talk to the doc BEFORE we let the crazy girl loose.
>> No. 81207
[x] Go see Dr. Yue.
-[x] "I've got a good idea why, but tell me anyway: what the fuck were you thinking, giving me candy that damn near killed me?"
-[x] <Speech> Even if she assumed you were a junkie with high drug tolerance, what she did was bad, and she should feel bad. Make it so. Maybe the guilt-trip will help get a straight answer out of her.
-[x] <Speech> Ask for the keys to Miss Usami's restraints under the pretense that questioning goes better with displays of trust.

Who has the keys anyway? Hopefully an officer left them with the medical staff in case of an emergency. Why pick locks when you can ask for the keys? With this we can get some private questioning time with Ren. There are less moral choices available with this guilt trip too. We haven't reported the little stunt she pulled with us. Malpractice much? We could let it slide in return for a favor. Supplies that we will need for when we leave or another kind of "favor". But I'd rather not play the Corrupt Cop role. Just throwin it out there. I think we aren't looking deeply enough into the possibilities.
>> No. 81210
[x] Collect the ‘evidence’ lying around; that’s what you’re supposed to be doing, right?
- [x] <Sneak> Look around for any useful medical supplies or chems.
[x] Go see Dr. Yue.
-[x] "I've got a good idea why, but tell me anyway: what the fuck were you thinking, giving me candy that damn near killed me?"
-[x] <Speech> Even if she assumed you were a junkie with high drug tolerance, what she did was bad, and she should feel bad. Make it so. Maybe the guilt-trip will help get a straight answer out of her.
[x] Ren used to keep bobby pins in her hair, just behind her ears; take them.
[x] Attempt to rouse Renko.
- [x] Tell her that you got her into this, and you’re going to get her out of it.
- [x] Tell her that she deserves to be put away for a long time for this. She tried to kill you!
- [x] Ask her just what the fuck she thought she was doing.
>> No. 81229
Well, that went significantly more poorly than I thought it would.


[X] Collect the ‘evidence’ lying around; that’s what you’re supposed to be doing, right?
[X] Go see Dr. Yue.
- [X] Ask how Officer Frisca is doing. Other than that, wait for her to start doing the talking.
- [X] Ask her why she tried to kill you.
[X] Attempt to rouse Renko.
- [X] Tell her that you got her into this, and you’re going to get her out of it.
- [X] Ask her just what the fuck she thought she was doing.
>> No. 81232
>>81229

Oh, good, I thought I was the only one who felt that way.
>> No. 81234
At least it went better than it would have had we tried to put her to sleep
>> No. 81235
File 123802493778.jpg - (85.77KB , 798x600 , Kotomine.jpg ) [iqdb]
81235
>Kotomine accepts your assessment and starts giving signals and orders to the fairies to positions.

Fuck.
>> No. 81236
>>81234

I expect something like Ren squeezing off that one round into Yue's head and it exploding into chunky salsa. Seems like this was going to be a crappy situation any way it happened, but this way was at least somewhat easy to manage.
>> No. 81237
>>81236
except now we have to deal with the cops...and somehow I doubt miss kotohime is the kind that would take impersonating an officer lightly.
>> No. 81238
>>81235
Cannot unread.
>> No. 81245
Well, if we had put Ren to sleep, she'd have been in even more of a life threatening solution than we were as a result of the lollipop so someone was probably going to get hurt regardless, but at least the damage was minimal
>> No. 81255
>>“Tell me, what is it about fairies that makes you hard, Max? Is it the taking away of innocence? Because they can’t resist you physically? Big man Max Rockatansky too intimidated by real women? Or is that the smaller they are the tighter the fit?“
>>You didn’t realize it was possible for Kevlar to fit so snugly, but then again you rarely see fairies in clothing that isn’t a few sizes too big for them. Well, you’re not here to check out fairy ass, so you turn back to watch the container.
Hm ...
>> No. 81260
File 123803740812.jpg - (98.14KB , 460x640 , f392d5174cede6ddab868eb047aae584.jpg ) [iqdb]
81260
>>81255

Mmm fairy ass...
>> No. 81261
It also presents the opportunity to have some enjoyable fun with Dai when we get her a new body
>> No. 81263
>>81245

Not really. 1) It would've resulted in the lollipop being taken away from her much earlier than in the present scenario, and 2) Yue would've been on scene to deal with it in the same manner she did here.

If you waited long enough actually, Ren would've simply passed out like you did, which is the reason why Yue wasn't struggling more at the time. The situation would have resolved itself, but in a way that would've been far less enjoyable.


>>81235

Fuck. Lotta typos in this one.

Writing now, BTW.
>> No. 81265
It looks like we're well on our way to the good side of karma.

I was hoping for evil. anon, I am disappoint.
>> No. 81267
>>81265

Sure, we're good NOW, but we haven't seen the horrors of the wastes yet.

Our name WILL become more than just a name. This I do solemnly swear.
>> No. 81268
File 12380479747.jpg - (134.78KB , 500x1000 , rumia ribbon dissolving.jpg ) [iqdb]
81268
>>81265

"In a war there are many moments for compassion and tender action. There are many moments for ruthless action—what is often called ruthless—what may in many circumstances be only clarity, seeing clearly what there is to be done and doing it, directly, quickly, awake, looking at it."

tl;dr: Wait until you have the opportunity to blow-up Megaton unseal EX-Rumia.
>> No. 81269
We are loving and patient to those we care deeply about.

We will be cruel and unmerciful to those we don't.
>> No. 81271
>>81267
>>81269

This.
If Max does not become this, I will never forgive you, Anonymous.
>> No. 81320
File 123813029647.jpg - (224.22KB , 567x661 , renko shading eyes.jpg ) [iqdb]
81320
>[x] Ren used to keep bobby pins in her hair, just behind her ears; take them.
>- [x] <Lockpick> Pick her handcuffs.
>[x] Attempt to rouse Renko.
>- [x] Ask her just what the fuck she thought she was doing.
>[x] Collect the ‘evidence’ lying around; that’s what you’re supposed to be doing, right?
>- [x] <Sneak> Look around for any useful medical supplies or chems.
>[x] Go see Dr. Yue.
>-[x] "I've got a good idea why, but tell me anyway: what the fuck were you thinking, giving me candy that damn near killed me?"
>-[x] <Speech> Even if she assumed you were a junkie with high drug tolerance, what she did was bad, and she should feel bad. Make it so. Maybe the guilt-trip will help get a straight answer out of her.

Oh, Ren. I hope this doesn’t hurt our friendship, you trying to kill me. Well, if you were half as paranoid as I was when I was getting lectured by Dai in the shower stalls, perhaps at the time you felt it was justifiable self-defense. You just hope you’ll have as easy enough a time to convince her of this as Mary did with you. Waking up in handcuffs is no good for letting bygones be bygones, you know that, even if said handcuffs would prevent her from going out of control. But it won’t come to that. Hopefully.
You remember your childhood, where she would show you how to open mechanical tumblers—of which there is a paucity of in the Vault—probably back when you were tugging on her skirt tails and calling her ‘Aneki.’ No, it must be, since that whole business started when you were washing her hair and found the bobby pin just behind her earlobe. You walk over to the girl groaning on the stretcher. She’s a mess. There’s a large blackish bruise on the back of her neck, from the blow of Kotohime’s jutte. She’s taken a shower since last night, but her hair all messed, not having taken the time to comb it, and her face is covered in sweat. She is indeed wearing the same outfit as the other day, minus the jacket, hat, and tie, and with the noticeable addition of a tan shoulder holder, for her handgun. You wipe away a few strands away from her face, then feeling behind the ears for the bobby pins. You felt them last night as you ran your hands through her hair in the midst and the after of your love-making. Those epithets from before actually hurt now that you’re not in the middle of reenacting an episode of Cops, not because they were particularly clever or well-thought out, but because they were, to her, in the context of betrayal.
Perhaps this effluence of nostalgia is just your way of avoiding the reality, that she pointed a gun at your head with the intent to kill you. What would you’ve done if your pistol hadn’t been set to danmaku? Would you really be willing to kill her, even in self-defense? Even if she were delirious and mistaken about the whole situation, with you at least partially to blame? Would she cry if she had killed you, for any reason? No doubt. Would you cry if you had killed her, for any reason? Inconsolably. Bending the bobby pin into the appropriate shape, you then search for something to serve as a tension bar. The bloodied scalpel on the floor looks like the appropriate size, and you snap the head off of it so you won’t cut yourself on accident. Come to think of it, why is the scalpel bloodied? You check over Ren, noting a few drops of blood down the front of her blouse. Following them up, it looks like Ren’s nose was nicked, a fine lateral cut across the bridge, already clotting. But still, for a prize knife fighter like Ren to even be touched, it would seem our little rabbit has some vicious incisors—perhaps something to keep in mind. It’s been a long time since you’ve last needed to use these skills (really, the only thing the skill was good for was to unlock First Aid kits in the bathrooms so you could avoid going to the infirmary), but you think you know what you’re doing.
It takes five minutes before you give up in frustration, concerned that you might snap the pin, which Ren was only carrying one of. You can get her to do it herself when she comes to; or, failing that, get the key from Dr. Yue (she does have the key, right?). Ren’s going to wake up soon, probably, and you want to be there when she does, so you keep yourself in the front room, gathering “evidence” in a conveniently found plastic bio-waste disposal bag: The syringe, the rope, the two suckers—which you double bag, so as not to get everything else sticky—their wrappers, Ren’s Type 17 pistol, the spent shell casing, Officer Frisca’s laser rifle, and the carrot-gag. The bobby pin and broken scalpel you put in your jacket pockets, along with Ren’s switchblade, cigarettes, and lighter. The laser pistol Kotohime lent you, you stick into your back pocket, after making sure the safety is on. The last thing you do is start gathering up the sheets of paper lying on the ground, separating Ren’s poetry from the doctor’s files, the former going into the bag, the latter back on top of the reception desk.
“Uhn… I feel like I French-kissed a Mack truck.” Ren stretches but meets resistance from the handcuffs.
“Yeah, staring down an entire fairy SWAT team will do that.”
“Max?” Ren’s eyes flit up to yours. “Shit.”
“Hi, Ren. You sound unhappy to see me,” feigning disappointment.
“Uh, don’t get me wrong Max; I’ll be plenty happy to see you. At my parole hearings,” she finishes sarcastically.
“Yeah, well, maybe you’ll get off early with good behavior. Here. Couldn’t pick them myself.” You hand her the scalpel and bobby pin. She gets to work immediately on the cuffs.
“So am I to take it you’d planned this all along?”
“Everything except for you trying to shoot me.”
“Yeah, sorry about that.” She gives you a nervous chuckle. “Ah, I don’t know what I was thinking!”
“Speaking of wantonly reckless behavior, I have to wonder why you were here in the first place. I thought I told you not to go after the rabbit.”
“I guess I was thinkin’ you were too soft to actually get any answers from her yourself.”
Click. The cuffs come off. Renko rubs her wrist.
“Yeah, well that’s what I’m about to do right now. You better skedaddle. Mary’s probably sobbing into her coffee right now; you know how she is with abandonment.”
Ren winces, like she forgot about her entirely.
“Uh, right. I’ll meet you back in your room. Could I… get my jacket back?”
“Yeah, take this stuff too.” You hand her the ‘evidence’ bag as well as her jacket, though you keep the laser pistol on you, as well as Frisca’s rifle.
“Okay. I’m really sorry. Please don’t tell Mary about this.”
“Yeah, yeah. Now get out of here.” You turn away from her, and she leaves the clinic silently. Rabbit interrogating now. Angry make-up sex later.
>> No. 81321
File 123813059867.jpg - (443.32KB , 850x595 , FalloutFirstAid.jpg ) [iqdb]
81321
Looking around the room you’re in, you double-check to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything that could be used to incriminate you later. You don’t find anything else along those lines, but a more complete inventory of the room nets you a tidy sum of contraband: four (4) stimpaks, three (3) syringes of Med-X, a pill bottle containing two (2) doses of Rad-X, one (1) pack of RadAway (these chems you can be sure of their authenticity), and a number of miscellaneous items that might be useful out in the wastes—surgeon’s thread & needle, local anesthetic, disinfectant swabs, iodine & quinine tablets, non-narcotic pain relievers, anti-allergy medication, muscle relaxants (diazepam), and autoinjectors for treatment of anaphylactic shock (epinephrine) and reversal of nerve agent poisoning (atropine, 2-PAM). After making sure you aren’t being watched, you stuff them all surreptitiously into another thick plastic bio-waste bag, which you leave by the entrance, in the slim chance Dr. Inaba gets suspicious of exactly what and how much evidence you’re removing from her clinic.
You walk on into the well-lit right container room, carrying Officer Frisca’s laser rifle and your own you borrowed from the inspector. This container has been remarkably refinished and refitted: tiled walls and flooring, drains installed in the floors, runners for the privacy curtains on the ceiling, vid screens for the patients, and a bevy of medical contraptions bolted on arms to the walls. There’s even a dentist’s chair, complete with all sorts of torture equipment. It’s only its odd dimensions that remind you that this is a repurposed shipping container, and not a genuine hospital room. Light is provided through sunlamps, probably because it sees a high amount of fairy traffic. Of the six beds in view, only one is occupied, Officer Frisca whom you can see now as Dr. Yue seems to have reopened the privacy curtain. She’s hooked up to an IV and a finger-pulse monitor. Her body armor has been removed, set on the next bed over, and replaced with a medical gown, though cut out around the abdomen to allow easy access to the compress and bandages. Fairies really do look darling when they’re asleep. The curious urge to ruffle her hair goes through your head, but you wouldn’t want to risk waking her. You place the rifle and pistol on the bed with the Officer Frisca’s discarded clothing.
“Dr. Inaba?” There’s only one bed you cannot see, with curtains drawn around it, so unless she slipped out the side entrance, that is where she is. You call out again. “Dr. Inaba?”
“Just a moment please, officer,” the rabbit’s voice rasps from behind the curtain. After a few seconds, she steps out, keeping the curtains drawn behind her. “The patient needs her rest; I’d prefer that we talk in my office.” Her tone is disaffected, given the situations she was in minutes earlier. Turning off the lights behind her, she leaves the room, and you follow.
As you thought, her office was the darkened room through the back, though she hesitates momentarily in the foyer, standing and smiling in one spot as if she were remembering a funny joke. She flicks on the lights as she enters, which glow with a more familiar, bluish-white fluorescence. It’s a sparse affair like the front room, though there is some degree of decoration—a diploma, a few plaques, and many framed photographs, mostly of the doctor and her fellow rabbits. Two utilitarian tables joined at the corner make up her desk, on which you see some pencils, post-its, a centrifuge, a microscope, and the green flickering of the active terminal at one side. She sits down on an ‘ergonomically’ designed chair, which is probably hell on her back given her small proportions. You pull a fold-out chair over from the side of the room you entered. She doesn’t get to talking immediately, rather she starts typing something into her terminal.
“Dr. Inaba?”
She holds a finger up for a moment, not even glancing at you, and then goes back to typing. There’s a discordant beep from the terminal, causing Yue to sigh and shake her head, frustrated.
“McLovin, Max. Half-youkai. Male. Date of birth: 09/09/2257. Blood type: O negative. Vocation: Unlisted. Address: Unlisted. Security clearance: Unlisted.” Her frown stretches itself wider as she lists the entries off. “You’re quite the cipher, Mr. Rockatansky, or Mr. ‘McLovin’ rather.”
It’s good that she makes the connection explicit rather that glossing over it, because it makes it easier to talk about yesterday:
"Doc, I think I've got a good idea why, but tell me anyway: Just what the fuck were you thinking, giving me candy that damn near killed me?"
“I had this discussion with Miss Usami once already today. It didn’t end well then, either. You should’ve seen the look on her face when I told her that it was her who was killing you, with all that second-hand smoke.”
“I could have you thrown in jail; your license to practice revoked.”
“I see. Well, I guess that is what it always comes down to, the bottom line,” she responds, dryly, reaching into her pocket and slapping another lollipop down on the table. “Well, go on. Aren’t you going to take it?”
“You think I’m some kind of junkie or something?”
She looks at you like you just said the stupidest thing has she ever heard. Then she smiles a little, looking at you from an angle, as if you told her a joke and she doesn’t quite get it yet.
“Oh? Oh! Is that how it works? You’re Detective McLovin right now,” she talks slowly, patronizingly. “Of course, you’re not a junkie; you hate junkies, ready to do those punks in with a single shot from your .357 magnum.” She closes one eye and makes a shooting motion at you with her fingers. “Pow.” Complete with blowing on the smoking barrel. “But when the animal within takes over, your other personality, Mr. Rockatansky, manifests. Well, that’s who I want to talk to right now, Mr. McLovin. Could you put Mr. Rockatansky back on the line for us?”
Mistaking your incredulity for vacillation, she bulldozes right on through it, grabbing an entire fistful of suckers from her pocket and drops them on the table.
“There, even for a high-powered mutant like you, this should last you for weeks.”
“I don’t want your death candy!”
She cocks her head, utterly perplexed by your continued combativeness.
“Look, just tell me, why did you try to kill me? That’s all I want to know!”
Kill you? No. My God, no. If I wanted to kill you, I would’ve left you to die on that operating table instead of wasting my entire Saturday trying to resuscitate you,” her voice becomes a bit hostile. “You were the one who wanted to die, Mr. Rockatansky.” Rather than huffily continue down that road, Dr. Yue reasserts her composure. “I won’t judge you for it. I am a firm believer in the personal right to die—more than you could know, having been around the tortured minds of those who could not.”
“…You’re talking about Miss Ellen?”
“What?” She’s becomes a bit startled by your reference, as if she didn’t expect it from you. “Not exactly, no. Elle’s mind has found a happy equilibrium between growth and stagnation; the ones I’m talking about were different, very deeply troubled persons. Anyway it’s not all personal anecdotes; it’s in the interests of the population from a public health perspective as well: Forbid voluntary euthanasia to people in the final stage of incurable illness because life is sacred and untouchable, but touch and desecrate the life of thousands and millions of healthy, capable people by sending them to war, where they will be killed or maimed, to then subject these purposely produced disabled to the prohibition of applying voluntary euthanasia.”
>> No. 81322
File 123813091971.jpg - (92.05KB , 650x867 , yue despondant.jpg ) [iqdb]
81322
“That’s nice and all but it still doesn’t give me my answer. Why did you give me the sucker?”
She rolls her eyes at you and continues sarcastically, “I guess I had expected you to be more intelligent than you proved yourself to be, Mr. Rockatansky. I had thought you must have had at least a rudimentary understanding of biology and chemistry in order to ferment and distill the non-synth alcohol I found in your system. You had also proven yourself to be quite resistant to hypnotics, as well as showing great excitement by the prospect of a candy-colored narcotic, showing that you’d been at least behaviorally sensitized to chems. I’ve read your record—orphan, juvenile delinquent, history of drug use. Everyone with a memory knows who we have to thank for ending the tyranny of Thanksgiving Day dinner; everyone with your medical history knows we have you to thank, yes, and Jet.”
“Yeah, but even had I been this brilliant street chemist you apparently thought I was, I was clearly not in my right mind at the time.”
“Exactly.”
“What?”
“You came into the emergency room dying from a toxic ingestion of everything from aspirin to zinc tablets. You have any idea how painful it is to die from kidney and liver failure, Mr. Rockatansky? Of course you don’t.” Dr. Yue moves from patronizing to livid, “Of course you don’t! You believe what you see on old video recordings, thinking you can chase a bottle of Excedrin with a glass of whiskey and pass away in your sleep a few hours later. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way, Mr. Rockatansky; it takes whole weeks to die from hepatorenal syndrome, and it is extremely painful—the kind of pain that those lollipops are used to palliate. You were ‘hallucinating’ floridly, obviously a lifelong, malingering histrionic, so it would only be a matter of time before you overdosed on headache remedies again. Dying from an opiate overdose would be a blessing. I gave you a choice.”
“But I promised… I promised that I wouldn’t do it again.”
“You were lying, Mr. Rockatansky.”
Is that true? You maybe wouldn’t call it ‘lying’ per se, but you were definitely being untruthful. You felt no genuine guilt at the time, no remorse on the inside. How could you? You had saved your friend from so much suffering, reestablished ties that a day ago you were ready to write-off completely. You may have been able to feign embarrassment, even very convincingly you thought, but on the inside, you were on cloud⑨.
“You were lying,” she repeats. “I could see it in your eyes.”
Oh, there it is, that same genuine smile she had then; is that what pulled the wool over your eyes? The expression is indeed authentic, but what the smile expresses is not happiness, as a usual smile. It’s an expression of an emotion you’ve seen in Mary and Daiyousei in the best and worst moments, the one you have when you’ve experienced enough suffering for one lifetime, and then see that suffering in others. Compassion.
“I’ve heard enough.”
“Who—“
“Dai?”
“You pass with flying colors, Ms. Inaba. I’d give you a slow clap, but hey look Ma, no hands.”
The rabbit takes a five-second long glance at the animated figure your Pip-Boy and her face becomes a paper white mask of horror. She looks back at you, and that horror turns into rancor.
“Did you stick me with something?”
The rabbit practically jumps over the desk, gripping your leather collar and putting all her weight into the knee pressing against you chest, so that you cannot stand. Still, ferocity cannot overcome a critical difference in muscle mass; you easily block her arm and wrench the syringe out of her hands before she can poke you with it.
“Calm down, doc. I’m not a hallucination.”
“Unfortunately,” you mutter.
“You just had to throw that barb in there, didn’t you Max?”
Yue starts looking at the Pip-Fairy again with more scrutiny, then relaxes under your grip with a sigh, removes her weight from you, climbs off her desk, and goes over to sit down on the bottom step of the cast-iron stairwell. Frowning and hugging Téodor. God damn, it should be a crime to look so innocent.



12:17 PM. Still in Yue’s office. Where fighting starts, tea will follow.
“If it’s for the safety of the Vault, I suppose I have an obligation to help.” Although Yue has regained her normal bedside manner, she still clutches Téodor tightly in one arm.
“Dai, you still haven’t adequately explained why you want to bring her into this.”
“And when do I? Explain things, that is. Ahahahahaha!” A whispered aside to “shut the hell up” and the fairy continues, “So why didn’t the lollipops affect you, doctor?”
“They did. That’s why I didn’t scream when your boy Max here tore the duct tape off my face.”
“Yeah, but Ren and myself, well, we—“
“Yes. Why didn’t I experience the same exaggerated high you and she did? The reason is simple.” She takes another lolli out from her lab coat pocket, unwraps it, and pops it into her mouth.
“You’re an addict?”
“Extenshive shelf-experimentation and familiarity with the shubjective effects of medication was a large part of Mashter’s training,” she slurs as she turns over the medical candy in her mouth. Removing from her mouth with a pop, she considers it against the somber overhead lighting—under the blue fluorescent tint, it looks more like amber than a piece of candy. “I however lacked the force of will necessary to throw away my emotions and memories.”
“So, not only are you an excellent judge of character Ms. Inaba, you’re also completely unapologetic in tromping through ethical quandaries in the practice of medicine? As should be expected of the protégé of the Genius of the Moon.
Yue doesn’t acknowledge the remark as either flattery or insult. For that matter, you yourself don’t know who she’s talking about.
“Protégé of who?” Trying to interject yourself into their conversation.
“Eirin Yagokoro. Member of the line of royal scientists in the service to the Lunarian Empire, House Yagokoro? She was instrumental in the modernization of pre-War Gensokyo and the construction of the Gensokyo Vaults? Max, you should’ve paid more attention to your studies,” Dai finishes crossly, sounding a death knell for the notion that you might become actively involved in this discussion.
Yeah, well, maybe you would’ve bother, had you someone to ever even give you the impetus to excel. You remember in the textbooks that the Lunarians were important in Gensokyo’s history even before they were discovered to exist by the Outside, but recall no specifics. You sigh huffily and boredly wonder what Ren and Mary are doing right now…



In the end, Daiyousei manages to extract some kind of promise regarding medical care for you, as far as arranging an appointment tomorrow for an “extensive” physical and a battery of screenings and other tests to make sure you’ll be in tip-top shape when they ship you out to the Wastes to die. Hooray.

Well, you have a bag full of chems, a fistful of dollars, a fairy full of pip, room full of friends, and a stomach full… of nothing.

12:47 PM.

[ ] Ask Dai to show you around the fairy wards; she likely knows a few hideaway spots.
[ ] The doctor hasn’t eaten yet. She probably has to stay and watch Frisca, but maybe you could bring her something?
[ ] Head back to your room. A self-prepared meal is best.
[ ] Head back to your room. Ren must prepare you something ridiculous. As punishment.
[ ] Head back to your room. Drag your friends to the diner.
[ ] Come to think of it, you never gave that Inspector back her pistol…
[ ] Write-in.

Theft -50 Karma
>> No. 81327
[x] Head back to your room. Ren must prepare you something ridiculous. As punishment.
While she does this
[x] The doctor hasn’t eaten yet. She probably has to stay and watch Frisca, but maybe you could bring her something?

Try to patch things up a bit more with her, without staying too long. Ren needs to make things up for us at this point though so the end result would involve her.
>> No. 81328
[x] Head back to your room. Ren must prepare you something ridiculous. As punishment.
While she does this
[x] The doctor hasn’t eaten yet. She probably has to stay and watch Frisca, but maybe you could bring her something?


Hmm, KC wouldn't be as proud of her as previously thought.
>> No. 81339
[X] The doctor hasn’t eaten yet. She probably has to stay and watch Frisca, but maybe you could bring her something?
[X] Head back to your room. A self-prepared meal is best.
[X] Come to think of it, you never gave that Inspector back her pistol…

The doctor has had a hard time...and it looks like things may get harder still for her because of us. At the least, we should try to be friendly.
But, these last few days have taken us FAR from what we would consider normal. We need some R & R. Given that Ren has "escaped" and that Yue could so easily figure out what we had done, Kotohime will probably be out for both us and Ren quite soon. Rest now, we'll probably be leaving the vault in the next couple of days.
...and it would be nice to have a gun out there. We may suck with them, but something's better than nothing.
>> No. 81346
Voting this until something better comes along

[x] Head back to your room. Ren must prepare you something ridiculous. As punishment.
While she does this
[x] The doctor hasn’t eaten yet. She probably has to stay and watch Frisca, but maybe you could bring her something?

>>81255
Oh, you too, huh?
>> No. 81348
File 123815000183.jpg - (115.94KB , 650x867 , Yue3.jpg ) [iqdb]
81348
[x] Head back to your room. Ren must prepare you something ridiculous. As punishment.
While she does this
[x] The doctor hasn’t eaten yet. She probably has to stay and watch Frisca, but maybe you could bring her something?

>>81328

He'd definitely be surprised, that's for sure. If not proud, he'd appreciate where she's coming from. Still, she could use a hug that he can never give again because he's dead and all she has is his stuffed bear to console her.


...I made myself sad.
>> No. 81349
[x] Head back to your room. Ren must prepare you something ridiculous. As punishment.
While she does this
[x] The doctor hasn’t eaten yet. She probably has to stay and watch Frisca, but maybe you could bring her something?
>> No. 81376
[x] Head back to your room. Ren must prepare you something ridiculous. As punishment.
While she does this
[x] The doctor hasn’t eaten yet. She probably has to stay and watch Frisca, but maybe you could bring her something?
>> No. 81402
>>81348

;_;
Oh, fuck you.
>> No. 81403
[x] Head back to your room. Ren must prepare you something ridiculous. As punishment.
While she does this
[x] The doctor hasn’t eaten yet. She probably has to stay and watch Frisca, but maybe you could bring her something?
>> No. 81488
[x] Head back to your room. Ren must prepare you something ridiculous. As punishment.
While she does this
[x] The doctor hasn’t eaten yet. She probably has to stay and watch Frisca, but maybe you could bring her something.
>> No. 81492
[x] Head back to your room. Ren must prepare you something ridiculous. As punishment.
While she does this
[x] The doctor hasn’t eaten yet. She probably has to stay and watch Frisca, but maybe you could bring her something?
Jumping into the bandwagon
>> No. 82241
File 123844827129.jpg - (304.63KB , 800x600 , RenMaryAllInTheSameBoat.jpg ) [iqdb]
82241
You have an opportunity here; it might be best if you used it to get to know the doctor personally. But still, you can’t just leave Ren and Mary out of the loop like that. Seeing as how they’ve likely eaten by now, you can use that as an excuse to go out again on your own. In fact, you have an idea that might allow Ren to make it up to you while assuring they’ll have some bonding time together. Come to think of it, you don’t really know how well they get on in your absence; they could be anywhere from at each other’s throats to bumping uglies for all you know.
“Dai, you there?”
“You need something Max?”
“Where are Mary and Ren right now?”
“Just a second. Yeah, they’re still in your room. Ren is helping Mary wash dishes.”
“Can you give me an audio feed?”
“Well, I could, but that would be spying.”
What.
“Don’t give me that look, just because I do it doesn’t mean it’s alright for you to do it!”
You roll your eyes, and start on the long walk back to your living quarters. You stroll slowly through the fairy sectors, taking in the sights, giving you time to talk to Dai, as well as to give your overworked legs some rest from the run this morning.
“I’m serious. Ren or Mary finds out you use me to keep tabs on ‘em, you’ll find they put their guards up real quick.”
“Fine, fine. You know most people describe their conscience as a little voice in the back of their head, often their mother’s.”
“Yeah, and you got one on your wrist—except, it’s an actual voice, and it's only your surrogate mother.”
“Most people I think would find their conscience telling them not to listen to this new interloper.”
“Yeah, good thing you never had one to begin with.”
“You mean an actual mother? Or an actual conscience?”
“You got on pretty fine without either, I suppose. Not that you should throw them away now that you have them of course. Heh.”
“Don’t worry, Dai; I’ve carved out a particularly black spot in my heart, just for you.”
“Aw, you’re making me blush, Max.”
“But seriously now, I want to know your opinion on this: This thing between me and Mary and Ren, is there any chance of it not ending in heartbreak?”
“For them? Or for you?”
“Well, both. I won’t accept as collateral damage the heart of someone I care about.”
“With that attitude, maybe. Humans are jealous creatures by nature, especially in the context of sexual relationships, this is something that resulted from intense intertribal competition, reified over a period of hundreds of thousands of years in which the greatest threat to a human’s survival was other humans. Part of the reason you kids were raised communally was to extend filial bonding to a greater part of the population, and in doing so decrease interpersonal competition, since the total people-to-resource ratio was to operate at near-threshold values for an indefinite amount of time.”
“Socially and genetically engineered?”
“To that end, we genetically screened every generation, instituted rigorous and compulsory contraceptive practices, and reduced the number of males in the population. Furthermore, earlier social experiments conducted on raising children communally found that as side-effect of the children treating their peers more as family, they also engaged in less promiscuous behavior, and it extended past simple sex; romantic relationships would tend to only develop if there was no influx of new, unimprinted potential mates.”
“But what does that have to do with me, Ren, and Mary?”
“If I could frame your relationship in conventional terms, I would say there is a long-lasting filial bond shared between the three of you, but your engagement in sexual behavior is due to a limited number of partners of the opposite sex.”
“So you’re saying that once the Vault opens…”
“There’s a good chance you’ll be left in the dust, kid.”
“Well, that just plain sucks.”
“I’m not going to lie to you Max. Surviving the Wastes, saving the Vault, getting me a body, these are difficult tasks before you, but I have faith you can manage them with a lot of hard work & guts. However, these challenges all pale in comparison to so monumental an undertaking as building a metastable, three-way relationship—the holy grail of human male mating fantasies throughout the ages. Living the ménage life isn’t just about having two girlfriends and having to balance the two equally; even if you’re all otherwise compatible, the human mating dynamic is still based on pair bonding, and three people means three relationships that will need to be maintained in sync. That’s triple the work!”
“You make it sound like some terrible affliction. Is the forecast really so hopeless?”
“Keep forcing Mary to interact with Renko. Ren loves Mary obviously, but Mary has the faulty idea in her head that she’ll lose you if she ever returns Renko’s affections.”
“And yet she didn’t see any problem with using her body to pay for Mentats?”
“That was a relationship of convenience, born of Ren’s desperation and Mary’s physical needs. If you got involved with Mary at any time, she’d have dropped Ren like a bad habit.”
“And that’s not a double standard?”
“When I say ‘affections’ Max, I don’t mean as a metaphor for jelly roll; I mean love, romance, the whole she-bang. Mary never had to open up to Renko emotionally, and Ren’s justifiable fear of rejection keeps her from ever telling Mary her true feelings.”
“So I just need to get Ren to come clean with Mary?”
“What? No! Are you paying attention all? That would be disastrous! Mary is well aware of how deeply Ren’s affections for her run.”
“I think I’m in over my head.”
“These are uncertain waters, Max—even for a fairy as voyeuristic as I am—but I, Daiyousei, will be there every step of the way to give you solid relationship advice.” Your Pip-Fairy gives you a thumbs-up, a hachimaki wrapped around her forehead. “24/7! Even in the thick of battle!”
‘That’s what I’m afraid of,’ is what you almost say, but you actually are in need of her advice right now, so you keep mum.
“Anyway, the relationship between you and Renko is good, but you need to talk frankly and privately regarding her feelings for Mary—show her that you want her to succeed. You also need to make displays of affection to her in front of Mary more often, even if it hurts Mary’s feelings a little, since Renko is the one who feels most like the third wheel. Of course you have to do so in private as well, lest she come to see you as merely her stepping stone.”
“Anything else?”
“Oh yeah… lots of sex. But only when all three of you are present!”
“I... I think I’ll be able to handle that.”
“I’m sure you do, kiddo. I'm sure you do. Gonna cut out as you leave this sector.”
“Hold on a minute,” you say as you stop walking, moving to stand aside in an 'alley'—a space in between two containers, too narrow to be used as a real walkway.
“What?”
“Why are you helping me along with Ren? Mary, I can understand, but Ren you didn't seem to like much, and what you said in the showers...”
“Look, I wasn't seeing things entirely clearly then. Ya' see I had a plan: I knew exactly how I wanted things to be for you and for Mary, right down to the what wedding dress she was going to wear on what exact date. However, trying to engineer human happiness that way... well, you saw the result. Didn't turn out so good. So, I've decided to take on a more facilitative and supportive role.”
“Yes, but facilitate and support... what, exactly?”
>> No. 82242
File 123844864918.jpg - (357.09KB , 800x800 , daiyousei that is a mystery.jpg ) [iqdb]
82242
“Survival of your DNA, numbnuts! I hand-picked every last fucking gene and nucleotide! Spliced each chromosome! Wrapped each telomere! You have any idea how grueling and torturous that was? Nine miserable fucking months of this uncomfortable daemon running non-stop, hogging my system resources, and ruining my ability to function and work. I could've aborted the operation at any time, but nooooo... I had to stick to it; I was determined to take it to the end! And out of that, you,” she seethes.
“...Jesus.” Fairy passers-by are giving you all kinds of odd looks now.
“I feel for his mother. Watches her son die, no grandchildren, never even gets a proper screwing. Well, that's for suckers, Max; I shall have a million grandchildren.”
“A million, huh?”
“Maybe more. We'll see.”
“I don't it's your biological clock ticking Dai—might be more that haven't gotten laid in approximately two centuries.”
“Speaking of activities which require a physical body, boy we sure are getting nowhere fast on that front.”
“Alright, alright, I'm moving.”




“Max!”
“Hey, Mary,” you respond catching her in your arms. Jeez Mary, I appreciate the sentiment, but I kind of liked you better when you weren't acting like an infatuated twelve-year old. Then again, it must be a hard transition for her, her best friend and confidant suddenly jumping ship after five years of constant cohabitation.
“Maxey,” Ren greets you sheepishly.
“Ren.” Did she tell Mary what happened?
“Where were you? Ren said you were right behind her!”
No, of course not. Too much the coward.
“Sorry. Dai had me do a bunch of errands; in fact, I only stopped in to shower.”
Mary pouts in response. “But you haven't eaten anything!”
“Don't worry. I don't think Daiyousei is cruel enough to let me starve. Besides, we're having a special dinner tonight to celebrate our reunited friendship and the start of Ren and my vocational training tomorrow. Ren will need your help with the cooking; isn't that right, Ren?”
“Uh, y-yeah, right!”
Mary turns to Ren with a smile, “Ooh. What are we making?”
You let Ren squirm for a few seconds, before dropping the payload: “Since Ren is going to be a butcher, she decided she'd prepare us... duck a l'orange.”
Mary looks at you in disbelief then at Ren again, “Duck a l’orange?”
Ren give you a similar look, though more horrified than disbelieving: 'You can’t be serious.'
You mouth two words back: 'Black Lotus.'
“D-duck l'orange!” Ren turns to your kitchen unit, starts pulling out all kinds of ingredients and cookware, “Come on Mary, we have to get started right away, a meal this great takes... preparation!”
“I didn't realize you had culinary talent, Ren.” Ren eats up the slightest compliment from Mary like candy, laughing nervously, even after Mary has moved on. “Oh! What's in the bag, Max?”
“Oh, this? Turns out the poisoning with Dr. Yue was a bit of a mix-up. Dai straightened it out, and the doc even gave me some supplies for the excursion.” You hand the bag off to her, then move to grab a clean jumpsuit and undergarments from your closet.
“Speaking of which,” Dai speaks up, “Max I want you to start gathering what you'll need for the tonight. Mary's got some stuff in storage from the first trip. Other things we'll have to swipe from somewhere or do without. Anyway, let's get out of the girls' way here.”
“...I wonder what side-dishes would be good?”
“Where the hell am I supposed to find a duck?”
“Well, maybe you could carve a block of tofu into a duck-like shape...?”
Mary and Ren's chatter fades from hearing as the door closes behind you. Nobody in the halls. Good.
“That was cruel, Max.” Dai shakes her head, smiling nonetheless.
“Hey, it's an excuse to get them to work together; I just hope my stomach doesn't pay the price for it later.”



“I bless the rains down in Africa~!”
Scrub-a-dub.
“So, what are these errands I'm having you do, again?”
Scrub-a-dub-dub.
“Gonna take some time to do the things we never had~!”
Brush. Brush. Brush.
“Don't make me turn off the radio Max!” Oh, fine. Gargle. Spit.
“Okay, first, we're going to pick up, uh...” You look at the time—1:10 PM. “It's half-past circle nine, so...” You fiddle with the valves, to turn the water off. It doesn't stay off.
She scolds you, “You didn't rinse the shampoo out of your hair!”
“Oh, thanks. Anyway, lunch. Is the doctor still in her office?”
“Yeah, why?”
“I'm thinking she hasn't eaten, and might appreciate something more nutritious than gelatin, chicken broth, and candy-coated narcotics. Same for that injured fairy, assuming she's awake and lucid.” The water stays off this time.
“If you have questions for her, I did schedule that appointment tomorrow...”
Toweling.
“No, no. It's more that I think our first impressions didn't go very well; if somebody is going to have to support me, even if its just logistical and medical, I'd like to make sure we're squared on everything.”
It takes her a moment to respond, giving you time to Q-tip your ears. “You know, you could probably get Mary to wear rabbit ears, if that's your thing,” she says, grinning lasciviously and sporting a pair herself.
You sigh and zip up your jumpsuit.
“Shut up, Dai. There might be people in the hall.”
“Maybe even a cottontail butt-pl—“
Dai cuts herself off when you step out the bathroom door. Doesn't stop her from expressing herself in sign form, the cheeky devil.



You start to recognize the landmarks near your destination: Painted containers, lichen, bedrock, flower pots, sun lamps, gigantic fucking fans in the ceiling that look like they going to suck you in and shred you to ribbons at any moment.
“Dai, can we talk freely now?”
“Yeah this should be far enough in.”
“I was hoping you knew a good place for take-out in the area. Something that's not cafeteria fare.”
“Right, right... uh, well, there's... heh heh.”
“What?”
“Kogasa's Pot-Luck. Turn right down here. Noodle stand. A charming little place really, though hard to find, and the owner is a bit of an eccentric. Clean, tastes good, and the price is more than decent, if you can handle the eclectic fare.”
“How could you possibly prepare noodles in a way as to be considered 'eclectic'?”
“You'll find out if you go down that alley... there! Left.”
“I can smell it.”
You huff it, only to be met by a wall seemingly constructed of discarded furniture, blocking further passage between the containers.
“I don't see anything, Dai. This looks like a dead-end. I can still smell it, though.”
“Well, it used to be here. Huh.”
You turn back, more than a little disappointed. There isn't even a rock or an empty can on the ground for you to kic—
“Greetings, patron! Why so serious~?”
You scream. Not because of the voice, or because of the odd-looking person who owned it, but because you were damn certain you didn't pass a noodle stand on your way through a moment ago. In retrospect, the gigantic purple eggplant painted on the front probably doesn't quite inspire the level of chthonic horror you'd expect of the sudden introduction to spatiotemporal impossibility. It's actually rather a relief when it starts giggling, joined by buzzing from your Pip-Fairy.
>> No. 82244
File 123844902046.jpg - (124.55KB , 633x871 , kogasa creepy2.jpg ) [iqdb]
82244
“What the hell.”
“Don't worry, Max, that's just a... One eyed, one legged, flying purple people eater!” Dai suddenly breaks out into song, soon joined by the strange woman:
“One-eyed, one-legged, flying purple people eater?”
“A one-eyed, one-legged, flying purple people eater!”
”A one-eyed, one-legged, flying purple people eater! Sure looks strange to me!” They finish together, laughing at their own little in-joke.
Now that you can take a better look at the stall, the roof is actually modeled after a massive Japanese umbrella. Painted purple on the outside, the yellow sunlamps hanging underneath color the painted underbelly a sickening puce, like the inside of some monster's gullet. Adding to the effect is a single, stylized eye painted atop the umbrella, with a goofy red tongue painted just below it. The owner looks more like a fortuneteller than a chef, startling out of place with her vibrantly contrasting aquamarine clothes and hair. The only thing about her that matches the stand is the color of one of her heterochromatic eyes, the red one.
“Oopsy~!” She raps a knuckle against her head, sticking her tongue out and closing her green eye, presumably in imitation of the décor. “Wouldn't want to scare away my customers now!”
“Heh. Max this is Kogasa Tatara. Kogasa, this is Max Rockatansky.”
“Oooh! So this is 'the' Max Rockatansky?” You aren't sure if she's being sarcastic or just easily impressed—either way, you don't like this woman very much. The fact that she gives off the emanations of a youkai doesn't help matter.
“A pleasure,” you greet with false enthusiasm. “I admit you have me at a disadvantage, Ms. Tatara; Dai never told me she had any youkai friends.”
The cheeriness from Kogasa's face drops, but only for a moment, because Dai interjects so to avert crisis, “The way you make it sound Max, I don't have any friends at all! Hahaha!”
“I know they say there's no secrets between friends, but Dai thinks it's more fun to include the element of surprise! Hahaha!”
“Oh, I feel the same way! I guess that's why we're such good friends! Hahaha!”
You're the one to break the laughter first, “So Ms. Tatara—”
“Oh, call me Kogasa, please!”
“Kogasa, then. Dai tells me you deal in noodles.”
“I am! You might even call me a 'noodlemonger'!”
“Good,” keep smiling, press on, “For I am a man in need of noodles.”
“Indeed, he is a man in need of noodles,” Dai seconds. Not quite a tongue twister. Yet.
“So you used your noodle to find new noodles?”
“I... used my noodle to find your noodles, for indeed I am in need of noodles.”
“You needn't your noodle to find new noodles; I have oodles of noodles for your rubles.” Oh, she is good.
“Indeed, to go, I need not the whole kit and caboodle: Would you take three orders of noodles for my rubles?”



You hear it as you exit the alley: “Toodles~!”
Ugh. You raise your hand as a gesture of parting, not wanting to admit your defeat verbally.
Gods, that woman made you uncomfortable. Half of you—the rational part—wanted to run away in terror, the other half was... excited? Irritated? Aroused? Maybe it's just the youkai blood in you reacting.
“Aren't you going to fire your usual salvo of needling criticisms at me, Dai?”
“No, heh,” your Pip-Fairy responds, chuckling embarrassedly, “Actually, I think you handled yourself pretty well. Honest, I was expecting you to freak or freeze up, so as to give you a lesson in the dangers and emotions faced in meeting a true youkai, but you not only kept the pace with her, you were... competitive.”
You object, wary of a trap, “Yeah, but I screamed when—”
“Duh! She came out of fucking nowhere! That would'a surprised anybody!”
Well, gee. Nothing to quite take the wind out of your sails like a genuine compliment.
Fuck, that can't be normal. Can it?
You throw off huffily, “Yeah, as if you expected me to be intimidated by an eggplant youkai! I'm almost insulted.”
“Hahaha!” She's pointing and laughing at you; not as planned.
Caught in another moment of weakness, you respond sorely, “What are you giggling on about, Chuckles?”
“You're doing it again~!”
“Doing what?” You do your best to glower at her without walking into fairies or other obstructions.
Being cute.” She imitates the playful expression of that youkai earlier, sticking out her tongue, winking, knocking on her skull.
Your expression must go through some obvious change, because she starts laughing again in response.
Confounding.



There's no answer when you rap on the clinic door, which still reads 'closed,' so you step inside.
“Hello? Ms. Inaba?”
You hear a response from the back room, “Is that you, Mr. Rockatansky? Just a moment!”
You decide to check on the patient until Yue is finished with whatever it is she's doing, entering the right container. Officer Frisca is still out like a light, which is probably a good thing in fact, because it allows you and Dai to talk freely. Her body armor and rifle is still lying on the bed next to her, along with Kotohime's pistol. To think Ren would attempt to snuff out the life of this precious thing; it makes you wonder if your sympathy to fairies is a purposefully engineered expression of your genes. You sigh and place the stacked Styrofoam bowls on a small table next to her, then push the gear aside so you can sit on the adjacent bed.
“Dai?”
“Hmm?”
“When you were talking about hand selecting my genetic code, did you specify any genes that are tied to sympathizing with fairies.”
“No. Err, well...” Dai shifts uncomfortably at the question. “Sorta. There is no human 'fairy gene.' Mankind has never been subjected to an environment where an attitude toward 'fairies' affects their survival value, at least not for the length of time necessary to be affected by natural selection. You have to remember that the existence of fairies and youkai is the result of epigenetic social evolution rather than genetic biological evolution.”
“Why the qualifier then?”
“Because I did select for genes and gene complexes that were likely to result in a phenotypical attachment to fairies, but the genotype itself was selected for in a different context; it's one that holds a definite survival value.”
“Which is?”
“The same reasons why humans are sympathetic to babies, prey animals over predators, dogs but not wolves, and other things that express a neotenic appearance—large eyes, high head-to-body ratio, small noses, small mouths, and so on—and why human females are smaller and less aggressive than males. Humans are a K-selected species; they wouldn't have survived if they didn't see their children as cute.”
“So pretty much a normal human trait?”
“Yes, but, as I said, more highly expressed in you than in most humans. Still within three or four standard deviations of the average, though. Does it bother you?” The fairy puts the tips of her index fingers together, a gesture meant to express meekness.
“Does what bother me?” Nuh-uh. Display some actual embarrassment first.
Her eyes shift from side-to-side in agitation, not looking at you, “You know, that I stacked the cards in my favor?” She bites her lip, “That is to say, does it bother you that you were made according to the specifications of some possessed machine? A... designer baby?”
“A little bit.”
She blanches. Silly fairy.
“But, no more so than as if I were anyone else's child. Most mothers in the Vault screen their embryos for disease and use gene therapy treatments If necessary; some I imagine do select for gross physical characteristics, such as hair and eye color.”
“Oh! Of course you couldn't hold it against me! I made you that way! Heh!”
>> No. 82245
File 123844925623.jpg - (102.88KB , 650x909 , yue coy.jpg ) [iqdb]
82245
Dai laughs at her own dumb joke, trying to mask her obvious relief. Before you can tease her any more, however:
“Mr. Rockatansky?”
“In here Doc!” You regret calling out instantly; you might've woken up the patient.
Yue steps in, stuffed bear in her lab coat, lollipop in her mouth. You give her a wave.
“What've you go there, Mr. Rockatansky?”
You take one of the stacked bowls out of the bag, along with a pair of chopsticks, “I figured you could go for something more substantial than candy heroin. The officer too, but I guess she's asleep.” You bring your voice down to a whisper nearing the end.
She drops the sucker in a medical waste basket, as she walks over, sliding a stool around to the side of Frisca's bed, across from you. “Oh, don't worry about that; Frisca will be out for a few more hours, at least. Fairy injuries are most easily managed by inducing sleep or a brief coma. Thank you.” She takes one of the bowls from you.
Dai speaks up in concurrence, “Fairy regeneration is a fast but painful process. Hey Doc.”
“Hello, Daiyousei,” she greets placidly. “Noodles? Where did you buy this?” She breaks her chopsticks apart.
“Never been to Kogasa's Doc?”
“I've heard of it, but never been. Strange how you can live a place for the better part of two centuries, yet experience so little of what it has to offer.”
“Yes, well, this is the 'Sunday Surprise' whatever that is.”
“Odd, but not entirely unappetizing.”
You break your chopsticks and take the lid off your own bowl.
Shirayaki and...” Yue considers the food as she chews it. “Squash?”
Gelatinous purple noodles.
“It's eggplant, I think,” you say, suppressing a shudder.
“Eggplant rinds would explain the color.”
They don't taste so bad, at least.
“So, Mr. Rockatansky, is this your way of reimbursing me for supplies you surreptitiously pilfered from my clinic?”
You meet her pleasant smile with one of your own.
“That must've been, Renko. Who seems to have escaped, I notice.”
“Yes, she must've picked her handcuffs, since I have the key. You've already shown to lack such ability.”
“Hahahaha!” Dai forces a laugh. “Oh, you two! Hahahahaha!” Neither of you join her; it's no use.
“Speaking of Miss Usami, you seem to share a strained relationship. Do all your girlfriends try to kill you?”

[ ] <Lie.> “My girlfriend? Ahahaha! No, she's my stalker.”
[ ] “Yes, but only toward the end of the relationship. You?”
[ ] “No. Renko has... emotional issues. To say the least.”
[ ] “No. Only when they're strung out on narcotics and going through nicotine withdrawal.”
[ ] “Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, Ms. Inaba...”
[ ] Other (write-in).

Questions and discussion topics for Yue. Pick up to four:
[ ] Eirin Yagokoro, the “Genius of the Moon”.
[ ] Physiology of half-youkai relative to normal humans.
[ ] Physiology of rabbits relative to normal humans and other youkai.
[ ] What kind of medical emergencies you might expect to come across in the Wastes and advice she has for you.
[ ] Personal opinion on the aims and viability of your expedition.
[ ] What it's like to live the Fairy Quarter.
[ ] Herself.
[ ] Other (write-in).
>> No. 82246
[ ] “Well of course, they would go crazy for me.”
[ ] “Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, Ms. Inaba...”

and

[X] Physiology of half-youkai relative to normal humans.
[X] Physiology of rabbits relative to normal humans and other youkai.
[X] What kind of medical emergencies you might expect to come across in the Wastes and advice she has for you.
[X] Personal opinion on the aims and viability of your expedition.
>> No. 82247
[x] “Yes, but only toward the end of the relationship. You?”
[x] “Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, Ms. Inaba...”

[x] Physiology of half-youkai relative to normal humans.
[x] What kind of medical emergencies you might expect to come across in the Wastes and advice she has for you.
[x] Personal opinion on the aims and viability of your expedition.
[x] Herself.

It's good to know more about our half youkai nature and what we should expect outside. Also, I'd like to learn more about this Yue, but that's just me.

>One eyed, one legged, flying purple people eater!

Heh.
>> No. 82249
[x] "No, just my doctors." Tease her; make it ambiguous as to whether you're joking or not. We've already been over this, anyway.
[x] Then lighten things a bit. “Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, Ms. Inaba...”

Ask about:
[x] Herself.
[x] What kind of medical emergencies you might expect to come across in the Wastes and advice she has for you.
[x] Personal opinion on the aims and viability of your expedition.
>> No. 82250
[ ] “Well of course, they would go crazy for me.”
[ ] “Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, Ms. Inaba...”

and

[X] Physiology of half-youkai relative to normal humans.
[X] Physiology of rabbits relative to normal humans and other youkai.
[X] What kind of medical emergencies you might expect to come across in the Wastes and advice she has for you.
[X] Personal opinion on the aims and viability of your expedition.

Seems fine to me.
>> No. 82272
[x] "No, just my doctors." Tease her; make it ambiguous as to whether you're joking or not. We've already been over this, anyway.
[x] Then lighten things a bit. “Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, Ms. Inaba...”

Ask about:
[x] Herself.
[x] What kind of medical emergencies you might expect to come across in the Wastes and advice she has for you.
[x] Personal opinion on the aims and viability of your expedition.

Works for me.
>> No. 82273
[x] “Well of course, they would go crazy for me.”
[x] “Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, Ms. Inaba...”

and

[x] Physiology of half-youkai relative to normal humans.
[x] Physiology of rabbits relative to normal humans and other youkai.
[x] What kind of medical emergencies you might expect to come across in the Wastes and advice she has for you.
[x] Personal opinion on the aims and viability of your expedition.
>> No. 82277
[X] We all have our problems.
[X] “Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, Ms. Inaba...”

and:
[X] What kind of medical emergencies you might expect to come across in the Wastes and advice she has for you.
[X] Personal opinion on the aims and viability of your expedition.
[X] Eirin Yagokoro, the “Genius of the Moon”.
[X] Herself.

Admittedly, we will have a hard time talking to her, but hopefully she will understand exactly what we're trying to do here, and why it's so hard...start out with work business and then proceed to her-not-hating-us business

>"Still within three or four standard deviations of the average"
I don't know if our character knows what this means, but to me this means that the trait has been EXTREMELY STRONGLY emphasized. Continuing the analogy from wikipedia, this would be a roughly equivalent probability of our character being 4' 10" to 5'1". That's NOT a minor tweak. I'm actually worried it may affect our survivability.
>> No. 82278
>>82277
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

forgot my source
>> No. 82286
>>82277
it would also mean Max is potentially a lolicon. which is awesome.
>> No. 82288
File 123847044727.jpg - (349.13KB , 1000x1000 , 7ada8d0e603ead8a3c3372ac9d01194a.jpg ) [iqdb]
82288
[X] <Joke.> “My girlfriend? Ahahaha! No, she's my stalker.”
[X] Physiology of rabbits relative to normal humans and other youkai.
[X] What kind of medical emergencies you might expect to come across in the Wastes and advice she has for you.
[X] Personal opinion on the aims and viability of your expedition.
[X] What it's like to live the Fairy Quarter.
>> No. 82291
[x] "No, just my doctors." Tease her; make it ambiguous as to whether you're joking or not. We've already been over this, anyway.
[x] Then lighten things a bit. “Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, Ms. Inaba...”

Ask about:
[x] Herself.
[x] What kind of medical emergencies you might expect to come across in the Wastes and advice she has for you.
[x] Personal opinion on the aims and viability of your expedition.
>> No. 82300
We'll just have to wait and see what happens when we get Dai a body. If we get the urge to help her fix that 200 years without being laid problem in an attempt to see what it does to her attitude, I'm all for it.
>> No. 82308
>>82277

It's a conceit for the author's convenience. If the protagonist were adverse to aiding the plot device, he might never leave the Vault without the use of some contrived emergency like HEY GO GET US SOME WATER CHIPS, NAKED AND ALONE. Given that the chances off death in the Wastes are considerable, while the Vault is a safe place, your speculation that the trait has negative survival value bears some merit, if only for that reason.
>> No. 82310
>>82277
At least I'm not the only one who caught that. Maybe math works differently after the end of the world.
>> No. 82313
>>82310

I'm not a mathematician but four standard deviations could account for as little as 94% of the population. Being 1-in-20 would not in any way be considered rare. Just saying "three or four standard deviations" only sets a lower boundary; you'd need to know how the data is distributed to get more a accurate answer.
>> No. 82318
So... Max is basically geneticaly predisposed to liking children.

Gentlemen, do you not see the trap here?

Rumia (or certain other equally dangerous youkai) is a child.
We like children.
Rumia (or certain other equally dangerous youkai) will eat us.
Daiyousei has doomed us from the very start i tell you!
>> No. 82319
File 123849636813.png - (674.71KB , 461x614 , DSA-03-SC-Istanbul.png ) [iqdb]
82319
[d] “No. Renko has... emotional issues. To say the least.”
[a] “Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, Ms. Inaba...”

[☆] Physiology of half-youkai relative to normal humans.
[z] Physiology of rabbits relative to normal humans and other youkai.
[e] What kind of medical emergencies you might expect to come across in the Wastes and advice she has for you.
[~] Personal opinion on the aims and viability of your expedition.
I want to add "[x] Herself" in there, but I don't know how that would be doable.

I think we need to take Ladykiller next level. Or whatever it is that makes us seem more agreeable.

>>82241
>(sensible and honest talk about relationships and threesomes and in a CYOA of all places)
what
what is this I don't even
how
oh god
I love you

>>82242
>“...Jesus.” Fairy passers-by are giving you all kinds of odd looks now.
>“I feel for his mother. Watches her son die, no grandchildren, never even gets a proper screwing. Well, that's for suckers, Max; I shall have a million grandchildren.”
Beautiful.

>>82244
Congratulations. You are the first author, I believe, to use not only Kogasa Tatara, but in fact any Unidentified Fantastic Object touhoe at all.

>only to be met by a wall seemingly constructed of discarded furniture, blocking further passage between the containers.
See picture.

>>82286
sup Bastille.

>>82300
Sex with dear ol' Dai-mom? Not entirely sure if want.
>> No. 82322
>>82319

Got things a bit messed up there. >>82300 is me, not >>82286 but at least you were close. And like I said, we'll have our answer when we see Dai. At this rate, maybe it'll trigger whatever the hell it is that makes it so if a parent and child are united back together, they feel attracted to each other. Several things could happen once we get Dai a body back regardless. We don't even know what kind of body she'd get.
>> No. 82325
[x] “Yes, but only toward the end of the relationship. You?”
[x] “Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, Ms. Inaba...”

[x] Physiology of half-youkai relative to normal humans.
[x] What kind of medical emergencies you might expect to come across in the Wastes and advice she has for you.
[x] Personal opinion on the aims and viability of your expedition.
[x] Herself.
>> No. 82327
File 12385163155.jpg - (454.57KB , 567x800 , 52bae86f2bb73b5cd2875ebca00d9309.jpg ) [iqdb]
82327
all I have to say.
>> No. 82328
>>82327
even if we get killed, it would still be totally worth it.
>> No. 82329
>>82328

Yes.
>> No. 82331
>>82319
>See picture.

That was exactly what Anon was thinking of at the time of writing.

>>82327

You'll have your chance.

When you start the Vault ① quest.
>> No. 82333
[x] “Yes, but only toward the end of the relationship. You?”
[x] “Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, Ms. Inaba...”

[x] Physiology of half-youkai relative to normal humans.
[x] What kind of medical emergencies you might expect to come across in the Wastes and advice she has for you.
[x] Personal opinion on the aims and viability of your expedition.
[x] Herself.
>> No. 82336
Hmm. Mary and Ren running off eventually when we reach the surface and meet other men might have some benefits, namely that we'd be a lot more free in our interactions with women since trying to charm other girls is quite hard when you have 3 ladies in the vicinity that might ruin things for you. Maybe we should put ladykiller on hold for a perk that does something to the women we sleep with to make them less likely to get in our way, as potentially sexist as that sounds.
>> No. 82348
File 123855268852.jpg - (374.66KB , 560x700 , 741c425c38b8c1f391aeaed28ebe690682c2a20d.jpg ) [iqdb]
82348
So, if Max is half youkai, then who donated the youkai half to his genetic slurry that makes up his DNA? Something Dai said earlier just hit me.

>“…that was the in the Old Days, and I’m not talking about Pre-Internment, or even Pre-WWII here, I mean back in 18th century Japan. Ancient history as far as humans are concerned, and you, not only would you not have been born yet, it probably was such that you couldn’t be born back then.”
Gods, what the hell is she talking about? Does she even know?
>“I hadn’t heard of a half-youkai until well after they erected the Great Border, probably a few years after the Draft of Spell Card Rules were drawn up, and Hakurei started cracking down real hard on the actual violence. >Heh, youkai and humans stop thinking they have to kill each other on sight, and it ain’t too long before they start looking for uses for each others’ bodies other than as take-home dinners or war trophies, if you know what I mean. And boy if you questioned how flying under magic was possible, you simply wouldn’t believe the shit people were creating, performing, and to settle daily disputes no less.”

So, I wonder, if Dai is the one who played mad scientist, who provided for our youkai half? Who donated for the human half, for that matter?

hehe. We could be half Margetroid and half Kirisame for all we know. It'd certainly explain the strong magic, the charisma, the sticky fingers and secret stashes.
>> No. 82349
That would certainly make encountering Alice interesting if it were true.

"Hi mom, I'm here to get a body for my other mom."
>> No. 82350
>Maybe we should put ladykiller on hold for a perk that does something to the women we sleep with to make them less likely to get in our way, as potentially sexist as that sounds.

Ladykiller is probably more useful in this context because of the damage bonus, as most people in Gensokyo are female, not just Touhoes, but raiders and ferals as well.
>> No. 82351
True, gaining as many legit damage modifications as we can would certainly prove handy before moving on to ones that don't provide any benefit in combat
>> No. 82359
I have my doubts about damage bonuses though...I mean, while the vault may be an abnormally safe exception, when have we actually fought someone?
>> No. 82360
Well, even if we had fought, it probably wouldn't have involved magic, which is our primary combat move as it stands. It would have made any attempt to judge our damage output rather moot at point in time.
>> No. 82361
Bloody Mess + Lady Killer = Jack the Ripper

too bad we didn't tag melee weapons.
>> No. 82363
>>82350

Shit, that's a good point. Why didn't I think of that?
>> No. 82364
We'll get Lady Killer next level then. No big rush. Though the 10% (to women only) damage boost and being a better man with the ladies would have probably been a better starting choice at this point in time compared to only being able to scar ourselves everytime we see something die and a global 5% damage boost. We'll just have to get by on our speech skill for now to do the job of lady killer.
>> No. 82366
Hey, what happened to the first thread of this story? It's not on the archive.

Anyone?
>> No. 82369
>>82366

Pushed off the board. It'll be up whenever the guy who archives stuff updates it, I guess.
>> No. 82393
>[x] “Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, Ms. Inaba...”

and

>[x] Physiology of half-youkai relative to normal humans.
>[x] What kind of medical emergencies you might expect to come across in the Wastes and advice she has for you.
>[x] Personal opinion on the aims and viability of your expedition.
>[x] Herself.

are the winners. writing is begun.
>> No. 82394
Huzzah
>> No. 82412
>>82366>>82369
http://www.sentrygun.com/touhou/threads/FG_01-02.zip

sorry about falling behind on these
>> No. 82417
>>82412

Thank you.
>> No. 82817
File 123887052555.jpg - (78.62KB , 800x600 , rectified spirit.jpg ) [iqdb]
82817
You open your mouth to make a retort, but you close it again; the doctor seems the kind who could go twelve rounds in a verbal boxing match. You won't give her an answer, because she's not really looking for one; what she's looking for is a chink in your armor. That she can deliver insults deadpan while you're force to be expressive... well, it makes for an uphill battle. Despite her small stature, Dr. Yue maintains an intimidating presence. No. Stop. You're in hostility mode. You came here to make a friend, not to gauge an enemy. Yue looks up from her bowl when it becomes apparent you aren't going to answer. Rather, you announce the change the topic once you make eye contact.
“Look, I think we got off on the wrong foot, Dr. Inaba.”
She looks at your face carefully for moment, sighs and relaxes her arms, setting the chopsticks in the bowl and the bowl on the sleeping fairy, as if the patient's bed were her dinner table. Reading this taciturn woman requires so much of your attention that when she clucks her tongue you wince.
“Just a moment.”
She gets up and walks out the door to the lobby. The slow, deliberate clicking of her heels on tile tell you that, whatever the reason, it isn't anger or impulse. You lose sight of her as she enters the darkened back container. Dai returns you nothing but a shrug, so you back to picking at your noodles.
Her sudden reappearance startles you, apparently having taken off her shoes and her lab coat. She appears to be carrying some vessels on a metal tray.
Tell you what,“ she says with slight smirk breaking though, “If you don't call me 'Dr. Inaba,' I won't call you 'Mr. Rockatansky' and demean you as if you were one of my geriatrics.”
“Uh, sure... Dr. Yue? Doc?” You're still hesitant to go by only her first name.
“I suppose that's fine enough... Max.” Seems you're not the only one.
“You know I thought you were nurse when I first saw you,” with the ice now broken, now comes candor.
“It's a common stereotype,” she responds unfazed, walking over. “It doesn't help that we all have the same last name. Could you pick that up?” She nods at her bowl, and you do so.
“Why is that? Are you all related in some way?” You almost stutter when she sets the tray and all its contents atop the sleeping fairy's chest; it moves ever so slightly with the rhythm of the patient's breath.
“Possibly thousandth cousins or something like that. Youkai tend to breed less and less as they move away from being animals and toward being sentient beings.” She points at her bowl, and you hand it back to her, giving an opportunity to look more closely at the items on the tray.
“What is all this?” Two empty chemical vessels and something else. You very carefully lift the glass jar of transparent liquid—ice cold, by the touch—off the center of the tray to read the label.
“You were kind enough to present us something to eat, I figured it'd be proper for me to provide something to drink.”
“'Rectified Spirits'?”
“190 proof alcohol. More commonly known under the trade name 'Everclear'.”
“You a heavy drinker, Doc?”
“No, just an afternoon tipple. Besides, I have to keep a bottle of it on hand as remedy for methanol poisoning, ethylene glycol poisoning, and... hypoethanolemia.”
“Hypoethanolemia?”
“Low blood-alcohol concentration,” she finishes dryly. “It's also effective as a disinfectant.”
“The wonders of modern medicine.”
You just as carefully set the bottle back on the tray.
“Now,” Yue spins the tray, apparently a Lazy Susan, stopping with one container in front of you, “You want the graduated cylinder?” Then she spins it the other way. “Or the flask?”
You don't know what's more amusing, the audacity of this woman to use a patient as her furniture, or the fact that she's able to remain stone-faced all the way through it. “The flask will do just fine; you sure these are clean?”
She shrugs and leans forward off her stool to pour a small amount of the liquid into your cup.
“An autoclave operating at 500 K never steered me wrong.” And then fills her own, her smile a little larger.
You raise your flask. “A toast?”
“To?”
“...” You should have thought of that before you spoke.
“How about, 'self-medication'?”
“Works for me!”
Clink.
Oh Lord does it burn. You have tears in the corner of your eyes. Hey, at least it clears out your sinuses. Yue gets a giggle out of it, which may be the first time you've seen her actually enjoying anything.
“How do you drink this! Ugh! It's like quaffing paint thinner!”
You're flabbergasted when she knocks the cylinder back, draining it completely. She makes as if to slam the cylinder on the table, except there isn't one, so she settles on giving herself a smug smile and setting the cylinder next to the patient's arm.
Then she sticks her tongue at you. Infuriating.
Rather it's what's on the tongue that is infuriating. A shard of yellow, glass candy.
“You cheated! You and your damn heroin candy!”
She chuckles, swallowing it. “Sorry. It will strip the paint off your car, however.”
“Well, I'll make sure to keep it away from my Rembrandts and my Porsche.”
The air becomes easier in time like this. You only wish you'd taken the cylinder so you could at least correct monitor your intake. Yue handles her alcohol like a pro, but eventually you can see signs that mark inebriation as well.
Yue starts thumping her chest, then brings up a handkerchief from her shirt pocket to cough into.
“Are you alright?” You stand up, alarmed.
She points at her bowl. “Sorry, there's something in...” She coughs again.
You'd been far less enthusiastic about your meal than she had, so you have to push aside quite a bit of noodles to find what she's talking about. Some kind of solid object, not food. You pick it up with your chopsticks. It's a plastic bobble-head, in the style of the Vault-Tec mascot, Vault-Boy.
“Oh, I should've warned you about that,” Dai cuts in, “'A surprise at the bottom of every bowl!'”
Yue, who has regained her composure, examines her own toy, letting it drip off over the bowl, then wiping it off with her handkerchief. Hers is different: A small, resin figurine of a squat, aqua, anthropomorphic ball holding a familiar purple umbrella.
>> No. 82818
File 12388709111.png - (298.39KB , 800x800 , parasol waddle dee.png ) [iqdb]
82818
Reading the imprint, “'Karakasa Touhoumon'? 'Collect 'em all'? Oh, and what a cute little brolly you have.” Yue looks happy with her new toy. You inspect your own more intently, obviously from a different line of products, shaking the broth off of it. It's quite a bit larger than Yue's toy. Vault-Boy is looking out through a pair of binoculars. There's an inscription at the base that reads: Perception—Vault-Boy says: 'Always be on the lookout for the obvious.'
“I think you should hold on to that Max, those are limited-edition and quite valuable in certain circles,” Dai advises. You roll your eyes and set it aside; it's only a toy Dai.
“No more aubergine,” Yue picks at her noodles, almost certainly cold by now. “Maybe I'll be on the lookout for this place myself from now on.” You suspect this has more to do with the toy she received than the food.
“Doc, before you get any more tipsy—”
She snorts at the suggestion. In all honesty, you're probably further gone than she is.
“—I had a few questions for you.”
“Go on.” She sets what's left of the meal aside.
“It was about being half-youkai. I've never really had a strong grasp on what that meant, I guess because the other difference, my gender, is so obvious that it's impossible to fit in anyway.”
“Understandable, you don't have any apparent gross anatomical differences from a normal human male, nor does your physiology relate to that of animals much. Other than your chem resistance and slower rate of senescence...”
“And even that is unreliable, what with those lollipops.”
“I can explain that, actually, now that I understand the drug a bit better.”
“Oh?”
“You see, your resistance to chems is because of your rapid half-youkai metabolism. You express more catalytic enzymes in your plasma and CSF, and your kidneys and liver work harder. The active ingredients of Med-X, Jet, Psycho, Buffout, and Mentats, which are derivatives respectively of morphine, d-methamphetamine, phencyclidine, mixed anabolics, and modafinil, the benzodiazepine sedatives I administered, the alcohol you've imbibed, the caffeine in your coffee, your tea, your Nuka-Cola, even the nicotine in your girlfriend's cigarettes—you metabolize them much more quickly. However, unmetabolized and highly lipid-soluble drugs that immediately pass through the blood brain barrier and can only removed through the kidneys, like sublingual fentanyl...”
You hold up a hand for her to stop, “Basically I am resistant to chems, at least any ones that I'm looking to find and are fun. That they remove themselves from my body so quickly is why it takes more to get what I want, but also why I've been able to experiment so much and not get addicted to anything.” She nods. You sigh, trying to make sure this sticks in your mind.
“So, if that's why I was resistant, then the reason you seem like an addict is because they don't do much for you?”
She gives you an embarrassed chuckle. “Actually, no. You are chem resistant, Max Rockatansky. I am merely chem tolerant.
“So you really are an addict?”
She shrugs her shoulders. “I'm happy with it.”
Well, then I guess there's no problem.
“So, other than that, I'm completely normal?”
“Yeah, but,” she furrows her brow, “How can I couch this in the appropriate terms?”
“Why is that necessary? I won't be offended or anything.”
The doctor just sighs and hardens her expression in response.
Dai pipes up, “That birthmark on your butt wasn't a birthmark: You were born with a tail.”
“Hahahaha! That's—“
“The truth, essentially,” the doctor concurs with the fairy.
“What? Why?” You don't know how to feel about this.
“Was it removed? Vault policy. Half-youkai are to be raised as human whenever possible, up until an age where they've already become socialized as humans. You weren't told until you were, what, sixteen?”
“This answer is unsatisfying, and honestly is weirding me out.”
“Sorry. Don't know what to tell you. Would it be any consolation if I explained the differences between youkai and humans more clearly?”
“I would like that, actually. A lot of things don't really add up. It's hard to see how the 'mutation hypothesis' really explains everything.”
Yue looks like she just swallowed something bitter. “My God, is that codswallop really what they're teaching you kids these day?”
You nod. Most of your time in the club with Mary and Ren was spent kicking holes in whatever they were trying to shovel down your throats in class.
“That is distressing, even offensive, speaking as a youkai. Well, hopefully we won't be stuck having to toe the party line soon.”
“So, on what youkai really are?”
“Okay, you know how magic and Gensokyo were first discovered by the Outside in the early 21st Century?”
“Yeah right before the War with Luna. I know the concept of magic is ancient, though. Older than Gensokyo. Youkai too, probably, assuming that they really were magical entities.”
“Right. Magic, which is to say, 'observer-dependent non-physicality' was discovered by the Outside when the Lunar civilization was discovered, though there were always hints, most importantly the growing awareness in the masses about the questions raised by quantum mechanics and general relativity the last century—indeterminacy, non-locality, entanglement, asymmetry, apparent non-conservation of mass and energy, the subjectivity of simultaneity, particle-wave duality... all this awesome stuff that shattered preconceived notions about how things really were. It would come to a head with the construction of the Large Hadron Collider, and its disastrous and final operation in 2011. That cockup killed a few million people and poked holes all over the Great Barrier.” You don't really know what any of these scientific terms mean, just that shit went going down, and the eggheads were at ground zero. “And then a group of people who hadn't been paying attention started to...”
“First Contact.” Dai, who had been quiet for a bit, provides the segue into Yue's next subject.
“Yes, the Lunarians, the humans living on the Moon, revealed themselves to the humans of Earth, who they called 'Terrans', and occupied much of what was left of central Europe; it seemed they were terrified of what might happen if the Collider were misused, though I guess it retrospect that seems a pretty silly thing, considering what they eventually did to the planet. Anyway, we have all these events occurring that quickly thrust 'magic' to the forefront to fill the explanatory gap left by them. Gensokyo's border was already weakening due to the increasing belief of the Outside in the supernatural. With the supernatural, came youkai.”
You know what this meant from your studies in magic. The Great Border had been, like anything else that's magical, essentially dependent on observer 'belief' or 'faith' to exist, which itself exists in many forms.
“But the youkai were always in Gensokyo, which had been created to trap and concentrate 'belief'; if the revelation of the Lunarians and magic convinced people they existed, why do they seem so less terrifying than in old fables and legends?”
“That's the result of the destabilization of the Great Border. You see, the way Gensokyo had been since its creation was a one-way funnel where Outside beliefs were made reality. Now, though, we have crosstalk, interdependency, where people's fears and beliefs are actually becoming tested with a reality, reified in some cases and dispelled in others. Throughout the ages, legends of monsters would continuously become more... humanized by anthropologists, writers, and even capitalists who would be eager to sell these legends back to the masses in a more sanitized form.”
“Belief in youkai increased due to Outsider exposure, but the quality of that belief changed,” Dai adds.
>> No. 82820
File 123887151530.jpg - (32.65KB , 300x400 , yue cd.jpg ) [iqdb]
82820
“Now that humanity has met the monster, it is found wanting: It doesn't seem to compare against Luna or even humanity itself as a real danger.”
“And because of this, you guys lost your superpowers?”
“No, but it would set the stage. See Gensokyo was flourishing in this time, a golden age really. Science began to be recognized as a viable alternative to magic, or more so to supplement it. Rapid industrialization supported by the massive resources of the United States, who were threatened by the existence of Luna and came to see Gensokyo as an important strategic asset. This is the real reason for why they promptly recognizing Japan as their fifty-third member state, and diverted massive amounts of manpower and dollars toward public works projects, the most garish and wasteful being that absurd Trans-Continental Highway. The youkai of course were delighted at the novelty of the situation, now being served by humans rather than antagonized and marginalized as they had been earlier.”
“It was the result of this Industrialization that led to the construction of the Vaults, right?”
“Not exactly. The Vault construction was actually the result of internal pressures, rather than external. Yukari Yakumo, a household name even now...” You nod in acknowledgment. Everybody knows who the Lady of Borders is. “...She commissioned Vault-Tec to create the Gensokyo Vault in the model of the Continental Vaults. Far-seeing, considering the imminent destruction of most of the world's population in the few years following the War. After the Internment, the Great Border failed catastrophically, both as a result of the meager 'belief' left in the world, because of Gensokyo's increasing connection to the Outside, and as a result of the same anti-border weapons that Earth would use against Luna to pierce their supposedly impervious Veil that protected them from attack.”
“Okay. So how does that explain youkai becoming weak, rather than just dying off.”
Yue grins, “Why didn't we go the way of the dinosaurs? We had known for some time that youkai as they interacted with human become more and more like them, in personality, thought, and mannerism, but only after the Border fell did it become clear as to how much we had become, or were becoming, physiologically like humans. We should've known, really, since the discovery of half-youkai all but necessitated that there were some essentially material and genetic substance to youkai in addition to the spiritual. It was probably the scientific study of youkai by the Outside that sealed this. Of course, they wouldn't be able to account for everything in the terms of science and magic, as they understood it, which is likely why we're so weak now.”
“I see, fast regeneration, telekinesis, monstrous strength were all things that could be digested by the Outside. Outright flying could not.”
“Not before it was too late, at least. Anyway, that 'mutation' rubbish isn't all wrong. The youkai that were too ridiculous didn't survive; the ones who were more adapted to the new 'reality' did. There's certainly a lot of variation to be expected, rabbits like me are a prime example: I mean even before the War we were essentially humans with fuzzy ears,” Yue tugs at them for emphasis, “And a cottontail.” Yue slaps her lower back. “In fact, I'm probably not much more absolutely youkai than you are, but I am a 'rabbit' because of an historical distinction between us, humans, and other youkai.”
“Well at least I won't have to worry about running into rabbit ferals out in the wastes.”
“No, you won't. Unless it's a jackalope, in which case you should run like hell.”
“Hahahaha! Right.
She isn't laughing.
“Uh, anyway, it sounds like my being half-youkai doesn't mean really anything?”
“I wouldn't say that. To get down to the nitty-gritty, you have the potential for great otherness, more so than any of your peers; likewise, you also have the potential for great mundaneness. I only know the case histories, but half-youkai most of them appear to be born with some intrinsic magical ability, often something not easily replicated through proper arcane or divine magic, either expressed at birth or unmasked by the result of some kind of trauma—infection, near drowning, ingesting psychedelic mushrooms,” she smiles at the thought, “Shock, coma, hypnotic trance, and so forth. You would really have to talk to a magician for specifics, though. Elle would know about this sort of thing, but...”
“Very flaky. I know, I know.”
“Other than that, it would depend on the parent youkai. Unfortunately, your mother's documents are sealed, as are those of the donor...”
“Yeah, I know. My birth certificate has a big, black redaction mark across it. Never did find out why.”
The Pip-Fairy whistles innocently.
“Right, well, she wasn't something obvious like a vampire or the like, because you don't have any apparent weaknesses—or strengths for that matter, beside your 95th percentile magical aptitude. The care you'll have to take out in the Wastes is much the same as a regular human, with some probably marginal differences, like intolerance to a certain element, or broadcasting a larger magical profile, or weakness to weapons with substantial 'history' or to magic in general. The most important difference will probably be simply what in-groups & out-groups people will associate you with. Feral youkai might not be interested in eating you because you give off a youkai-like scent,” you have to restrain yourself from checking your pits (no, of course not, you just took a shower), “Or on the other hand they might see you as an abomination to be hunted you down. Humans might welcome you with open arms, and raiders might see you as easy prey, but then again you might get run you out of town with pitchforks for being a 'mutant'.”
“So a mixed bag, essentially. On that note, you have any more advice regarding the kind of dangers I'd face in the Wastes? As a physician?”
Yue stares at you for a few pregnant seconds. “I think I have just the thing. I'll go get it, but first are you done?”
“With the noodles, yeah.” You hand her the bowl.
“I'll put Officer Frisca's in the refrigerator for her. I'll be right-back.”
She gathers all three bowls, placing them on the tray, along with the glass drinkware and jar of ethanol, and exits. Once you're able to tear your eyes away from that tail, you check-in with Dai.
“Dai.”
“Mmm?” Audio feed only.
“My birth certificate.”
Oh.
“I understand why you would want to bury the information on my genetic makeup, but couldn't you at least have let me known who my birth mother was?”
“...I figured it shouldn't matter, since it wasn't her DNA.”
“But then why go through the trouble of hiding it if it doesn't matter?”
“...”
“You won't tell me, even now?”
“...”
The silence stagnates in the room for a good five minutes.
“...she's coming back.”
“Don't think that this conversation is over, Daiyousei.”
“...”
“Sorry to keep you waiting.” Yue appears in the entrance way, again bringing a tray with her, this time loaded up with something else.
“What is that?”
“It's a holodisk, Max. A Pip-Boy readable copy of a classified document that was to be distributed in the event the Vault opens.” Sure in enough, on the tray, a holodisk labeled 'Vault Dweller's Survival Guide'. “No, I didn't mean that,” as you pocket the tape, “...this other stuff?”
>> No. 82821
File 123887156916.jpg - (212.83KB , 550x550 , ghostbuster.jpg ) [iqdb]
82821
Lime gelatin. Ugh.
“It's dessert, Max. Are you... not sick?”
“It's not so much that; I don't know if I should.”
“But there's always room for Jello, Max!”
“Why is it always Jello at the hospital? Why not, say, ice cream?”
“Ice cream is not sexy. It's certainly not so wiggly and jiggly and... green.”
“...Pistachio...” Dai adds, almost inaudibly.
“There's probably a good reason for that; the reason lime ice cream isn't popular!”
“But this isn't lime Jello. I make it myself, so I should know.”
“What the hell else could it be? Spearmint? Wintergreen?”
She pauses for a moment before saying it, biting on her thumbnail, “'Ecto-Cooler.'”
“....You're fucking with me.”
“I'm serious, just try it.”
You do. You couldn't possibly have known what it's supposed to taste like, but it's certainly not lime.
“I have at least a dozen gross more of the juice boxes, stacked in bricks.”
You become conscious of a familiar theme song playing over your Pip-Boy radio, along with an equally familiar logo being displayed.
♫ Something strange, in your neighborhood. ♬
♫ Who you gonna call? ♬
♫ Ghostbusters! ♬

Dai is apparently ecstatic, having completely forgotten her sullenness just a moment ago. “Doc when I get my body, you have give me some.”
The grinning rabbit nods, “Of course.”
“How ish thish posshible?” You've speak in between quick spoonfuls of sweet, wriggling ectoplasm.
“I don't know. It was willed by a demented first generation human who found comfort in a rabbit that reminded him of his daughter.”
“What happened to hish real daughter?”
“Never made it in the door it seemed.”
“I'm shorry—I mean, I'm sorry.” You've already finished most of yours, and she hasn't even touched hers.
The rabbit chuckles, waving away your condolences. “Don't be, I can't even remember his name.”
She pushes the second bowl toward you, apparently having noticed you eying it, and being more amused by watching you debase yourself.
“Thanksh.”
“I'm just glad to see that human pop culture is more robust across the generations than humans themselves.”
“It'sh that we have sho much free time, and that we haven't been able to produche any cultcure of our own in the lasht two hundred yearsh.” Swallowing before you speak now, “But that I consumed so much old media is probably the reason I'm not just another Vault zombie shuffling around in this overgrown basement.”
“...not the only reason...”
“You say something, Dai?”
“No.” Didn't think so.
“Yue. Are all youkai like that with humans?”
“I'm sorry?”
“Like with the old man. Is it impossible to forge lasting relationships because humans die so quickly? Would partially explain why half-youkai were, and are, so rare.”
Her expression darkens. Did she just become aware of how callous she was in saying that earlier, or is it some bad memory brought to mind?
“No,” glumly.
“You sound like you're speaking from experience, Doc. Care to educate one of us mere mortals?”
She sighs and crosses her arms, “It was 250 years ago.”
“But you remember it, don't you?”
She grimaces, unable to meet your gaze any longer. “...Yes.”
You silently wait for her to continue.
“It was the reason I got into medicine, why I begged Master to take me on as her apprentice when Reisen left for Luna.”
“You're going to have to give me some context here, Doc.”
“Right. Eirin Yagokoro and Kaguya Houraisan were Lunarians in hiding from Luna. They were the ones who built the Eientei complex, in the Bamboo Forest. Eirin was a doctor and pharmacologist; Kaguya was a princess, and was she ever, bone-idle and used us like we were her char-wallah. Reisen was a moon rabbit, unlike the rest of us, also in hiding. She left to re-enlist when it started to become clear that war was definitely coming.
“K.C., that is, Casey Mills. He was a human, on of the few mundane Outsiders who slipped through the Border when it was still strong and lived to talk about it. He was provided room & board in Eientei in return for performing token labor. Not a servant, really; I think the Lunarians just liked having him around. He was well liked by the community in general, by both humans and youkai. K.C. was one of those mortals who had that sort of... glow about them, the kind that because you knew they wouldn't be long for the world, that instead of trying to distance yourself like with most of them, you watched them all the more intently, you know what I mean?”
Wabi-sabi?”
“Yes! But it became more than that for me. I was quite young at the time, at least for a rabbit, barely a century old. K.C. of course had a number of paramours simply by virtue of being male and witty and handsome, but he always held a candle for Reisen. He became so despondent when she left for Luna, that I convinced Master to teach me in Reisen's stead. I studied my heart out for many years, not just Master's instruction, but journals and textbooks and my own experiments eventually. K.C. would pick them up wherever he could find them, thinking I had a genuine thirst for knowledge.” She chuckles at the thought. “Years would turn to decades, and K.C. started to age, of course, but he was still handsome to me, and still so kind, which is why I thought I would be able to cure him when he developed lung cancer from his smoking habit. I wracked my brain, got the other rabbits to help me, the ones who would now be the stereotypical bunny nurses, and studied harder than ever. I started researching magic, even. Eirin wouldn't hear my appeals, nor would any other entity in Gensokyo who were blessed with the gift of immortality, heedless of the danger involved in this, as some of these immortals were quite violent. Embittered by these defeats, even made arrangements to cross the Border in secret, thinking that if Gensokyo couldn't help me, then I would go to the Outside, with their vast repository of pharmaceuticals and plant species not indigenous to Gensokyo to examine for new anti-neoplastic compounds. It was Yukari Yakumo who eventually tracked me down, and caught me bang-to-rights, looking down a stolen electron microscope in a rented bedsitter.”
Youkai aren't allow to leave?”
>> No. 82822
File 123887175465.jpg - (41.31KB , 600x986 , yue sad.jpg ) [iqdb]
82822
“No. It was a kindness, actually. While I was running around, his condition had worsened and he was near death. When I saw him, so frail, and still so kind, I felt a deep and profound regret. It seemed all the time I was gone, he had been asking about me: 'It's 12 o'clock, I hope Yue is eating' '2:30 in the afternoon, I hope she's getting enough sun.' 'It's 10 in the evening, I hope Yue is getting enough sleep.'” The rabbit chokes back a sob, tears running freely. “He had many friends, and they made the... effort to retrieve me before the end. I cried my eyes out at his bedside, holding his hand and begging his forgiveness,” she sniffles, “As if he held anything but love in his heart. He says to me smiling, 'Funny bunny, want to see something funny?' And he does the old coin out of the ear trick. 'Bunny money,' he said. It was so stupid, I couldn't help but laugh. Over the next few weeks before he died, he would teach me all the sleight of hand and card tricks he knew. He was a man of simple means, and his few possession were willed to me: Téodor, his bat, his clothes and cap, his favorite watch, and the small sum of money he had acquired—just enough to pay off his bar tab.” Yue laughs. You're happy to see her smiling again. “It's an old story. Sorry for being so bromidic.”
“Not at all. So, was he a Brit?”
“Yes, indeed. How did you know?”
“Well, you had to pick up that affectation in your voice from somewhere,” you joke.
“I do no—I don't have an affected voice.”
“Only when you're drunk maybe. You have a better excuse than my girl; you've at least heard the accent in person, not from old holotapes,” you say, standing up, and taking Kotohime's pistol.
“Are you heading off?”
“Yes, I think—“
“Unngh...” There's a groan from patient/furniture.
Whispering, “I'll see you tomorrow. Take care, Yue.”
You step into the waiting room before you're stopped by a tugging on your sleeve.
“Yes, Doctor?”
“Since you've been such a good patient today,” the rabbit says, half-sarcastic and wet streaks still on her face. “Here. Have a lollipop.”
You almost take it before you remember the last time, your hand recoils, resulting in broadened grin from her.
“I don't want your pois—oh?”
“It's only a boiled sweet, Max.”
“Thanks.”
You take it. Dum Dums.



You slide shut the clinic door behind you.
“Ooh. The mystery flavor!”
“You mean 'root beer'?”
“I mean 'the mystery flavor'.”
“Yeah, okay whatever, are you done with your schmoozing?”
“I was not 'schmoozing.'”
“You were definitely schmoozing. Now where to?”

⌚ 3:02 PM

[ ] The diner; you want to read this Vault Dweller's Survival Guide in relative peace, as well as kill the wobbliness from that alcohol with some coffee.
[ ] This pistol is burning a hole in your pocket. Drop it off at the station; tell Chief Inspector Kotohime of Officer Frisca's condition.
[ ] Seek out Miss Ellen for more information as to your half-youkai nature; she should be out of class now.
[ ] Make sure Ren & Mary haven't killed each other or burned your room down yet.
[ ] Somewhere or something else (write-in).



(☺) Item added to inventory: Bobblehead—Perception
(⚡) Item added to inventory: Kotohime's Laser Pistol
(⚡) Ammo added to inventory: 30 Energy Cells

(✍) Entry added to notes: Vault Dweller's Survival Guide

(⚗) Racial trait revealed: Chem Resistant
(+) Stat bonus: Perception +1
>> No. 82823
[ ] Seek out Miss Ellen for more information as to your half-youkai nature; she should be out of class now.

KC ;_;
>> No. 82824
[x] Seek out Miss Ellen for more information as to your half-youkai nature; she should be out of class now.

Learn about our past as much as possible~ It's probably also the fastest way to make Dai spit it out afterwards.

Also,
>You almost stutter when she sets the tray and all its contents atop the sleeping fairy's chest; it moves ever so slightly with the rhythm of the patient's breath.

Even more weight to the fairy theory
>> No. 82825
[x] Make sure Ren & Mary haven't killed each other or burned your room down yet.
>> No. 82827
[X] Seek out Miss Ellen for more information as to your half-youkai nature; she should be out of class now.

T_T Manly tears for KC and Yue ...
>> No. 82828
[x] Seek out Miss Ellen for more information as to your half-youkai nature; she should be out of class now.

;_;
>> No. 82830
[x] Seek out Miss Ellen for more information as to your half-youkai nature; she should be out of class now.

KC... I do not have an image macro to describe the saddness I feel now.
>> No. 82831
>“You want the graduated cylinder?” Then she spins it the other way. “Or the flask?”

Klein bottle ;_;
>> No. 82836
(X) Item added to inventory: Kotohime's Laser Pistol
The pistol's named. Check its stats.
Also:
[X] Make sure Ren & Mary haven't killed each other or burned your room down yet.
Then:
[X] Seek out Miss Ellen for more information as to your half-youkai nature; she should be out of class now.
>> No. 82842
I'm sure if there was any danger to the two of them, Dai would say something about it
>> No. 82845
>>82842

Like how she told us about Ren and Yue?
>> No. 82847
>>82845

Dai was under the impression the gun wasn't loaded and that the doc's life was in no real danger
>> No. 82857
[d] Inventory & Status
[a] Seek out Miss Ellen for more information as to your half-youkai nature; she should be out of class now.
[~] Make sure Ren & Mary haven't killed each other or burned your room down yet.

Later tonight:
[z] The diner; you want to read this Vault Dweller's Survival Guide in relative peace, as well as kill the wobbliness from that alcohol with some coffee.
[e] The pistol's named. Check its stats.

>⌚ 3:02 PM
;_;
>> No. 82858
>>82824
Fairy theory?
>> No. 82862
[X] Make sure Ren & Mary haven't killed each other or burned your room down yet.

I think they'll get suspicious if we stay out TOO long... ...not that our character couldn't talk his way out of it.

KC : I'm reminded of the first lord of the rings movie...I can't find the exact quote, but it went something like "you will fall in love with him, and then watch him age and die before you, leaving you empty and alone"...this also explains her affections for teodore.
>> No. 82863
>>82858

The theory that we either have an attraction to fairies, or girls with the overall build of a fairy. Dai probably included something to make us nice to fairies and it's become slightly warped over time.
>> No. 82866
[x] Seek out Miss Ellen for more information as to your half-youkai nature; she should be out of class now.

The tears I cried were not manly tears, no. They were the salty tears of a man weeping like a bitch. Good job, anonymous writer.

>⌚ 3:02 PM

It's little things like this that bring a smile to my face. You also nailed KC's character down pat.
>> No. 82870
>>82862

It was an elf saying what would happen to his daugher and Aragon.

>KC

This CYOA made me download the whole Fallout series. Now it's making me read other CYOAs.
>> No. 82936
File 123898179720.jpg - (304.18KB , 800x832 , daiyousei assault rifle.jpg ) [iqdb]
82936
[x] Pip-Boy: Status & Inventory

Name: Max Rockatansky
Occupation: Fairy Work Shift Supervisor
Level: 2
AP: 77
Carry weight: 5/190 lb.
Critical chance: 5%
HP: 230
MP: 125
Poison resistance: 10%
Radiation resistance: 10%
Karma: +450
Alignment: Good
Title: Vault Martyr

S.P.E.C.I.A.L.
Strength: 4
Perception: 7
Endurance: 6
Charisma: 9
Intelligence: 6
Agility: 6
Luck: 5

Skills
Barter (Cha): 23
Danmaku (Agi): 17
Explosives (Per): 19
Guns (Agi): 17
Lockpick (Per): 19
Magic (Int): 41
Medicine (Int):17
Melee (Str): 13
Outdoorsman (End): 17
Science & Repair (Int): 17
Sneak (Agi): 32
Speech (Cha): 45
(Note: Skills in Bold are Tag skills.)

Inventory & Ammunition
- Vault ⑨ Jumpsuit. Standard-issue jumpsuit for Vault ⑨ residents. 1.0 DR. 1.0 lb.
- Kotohime's Laser Pistol. This laser pistol is obviously not standard issue, by the red, yellow, and purple color scheme. The firing capacitor seems to have been removed, which would cause the gun to overheat quickly, if not for the added aerogel heatsinks and the deliberately underpowered generator. Upon closer inspection, there's an inscription in kana; looks like Engrish for “Princess Smile”. 3.0 lb.
- Greenbacks ($42). Pre-War US Federal Reserve notes in various denominations. 0.0 lb.
- Bobblehead—Perception. Vault-Boy says: 'Always be on the lookout for the obvious.' 0.0 lb.
- Switchcomb. A novelty toy and haircare tool. 0.5 lb.

Traits
What's in a Name
Animal Magnetism
Chem Resistance

Perks
Bloody Mess

>[x] Seek out Miss Ellen for more information as to your half-youkai nature; she should be out of class now.

Is the winner. Writing is begun.
>> No. 82937
File 123898357597.jpg - (457.22KB , 700x785 , 079729666ea6d79cba58e324a754268d.jpg ) [iqdb]
82937
- Kotohime's Laser Pistol. This laser pistol is obviously not standard issue, by the red, yellow, and purple color scheme. The firing capacitor seems to have been removed, which would cause the gun to overheat quickly, if not for the added aerogel heatsinks and the deliberately underpowered generator. Upon closer inspection, there's an inscription in kana; looks like Engrish for “Princess Smile”. 3.0 lb.
No damage or condition stats?
Also: Daiyousei
>> No. 82942
>>82937

Maybe when the author can calculate the numbers in a way that doesn't completely destroy his ability to write the narrative.
>> No. 82947
>>82937
The description makes it sound like the rate of fire was changed (a continuous laser now, as opposed to pulses, or is the cool down period reduced?) in exchange for the strength of the "per-shot."
>> No. 82959
hey, shouldn't our tagged skills grow 2 points for every point we put in?
>> No. 82960
>>82936
>>82947
I was thinking that, too...I know that switching between pulsed and continuous beam lasers would have effects...I think the author may have meant that the RESISTOR was removed...
usually, portable lasers have a resistor keeping them from operating at full power...A pretty common mod is to remove this to get additional power, at the risk of overheating, hurting oneself, etc...This is much more in line with what it sounds like this laser is meant to do.
>> No. 82961
>>82960
>I think the author may have meant that the RESISTOR was removed...
>usually, portable lasers have a resistor keeping them from operating at full power...A pretty common mod is to remove this to get additional power

Why would someone do that and then go through the trouble of underpowering the generator? You'd essentially be sacrificing power for power.

>>82959

Not as of Fallout 3. It's a flat 15 point bonus.
>> No. 82963
while we're discussing the laser pistol: aerogel heatsink? srsly?
>> No. 82964
>>82961
Three reasons:
1) Heat. Overpowering the laser elements can cause damage to them
2) Safety. To both the user (overheating can cause failure, or burn the user) and to people around them (The main place this is used is laser pointers, where for safety reasons, lasers are limited to a maximum output power)
3)Efficiency. As you push components past what they are designed to do, their efficiency drops, as does length of use per energy unit (a battery that used to last an hour, may now only power the laser for half an hour) The exact amount of efficiency lost will be dependent on the components used, however, the loss is usually faster than linear (for example, you are likely to get only 1.5 times the power and halve the total number of shots.)
>> No. 82966
>>82963
Yeah. Aerogel would be the worst possible thing you could make a heatsink out of...For a heatsink, you want something with a very HIGH thermal conductivity. Aerogel is such a great insulator because it has a very LOW one. When I first read this, I read this as "if not for the added aerogel AND heatsinks," Assuming that the aerogel was used to keep the excessive heat generated by the overpowered gun away from the user's hand, and the heatsinks were there to disperse it.
>> No. 82967
>>82963

Yeah, that's just a genuine fuck-up
>> No. 83070
>> 190 proof alcohol
>>Everclear

...So basically, one of the highest alcohol-by-volume substances that's actually meant for drinking.
But if this is a hospital, why half-ass it? Why not just get some pure alcohol? It'd probably be a hell of a lot cheaper, too.
>> No. 83072
>>83070
Because pure alcohol that's safe for drinking doesn't really exist.
>> No. 83073
>>83072

As opposed to 95% ABV ethyl-alcohol?
>> No. 83077
>>83073
I mean as far as I know, 98% ethanol is as pure as drinking alcohol gets. The only actual pure 100% alcohol that would be in stock at a hospital has other chemicals added in to make it all nasty and poisonous for consumption.
>> No. 83116
>>83070

Because you can't get alcohol at a higher purity outside of a laboratory, stored in very carefully maintained conditions, because pure ethanol absorbs water vapor from the atmosphere. That would be very expensive, unlike the rectified 96% alcohol which is relatively stable and can be produced simply through distillation. Alcohol has to be diluted anyway when given intravenously and used to disinfect. 70% ethanol is more cytotoxic than 96% ethanol, because the water helps it cross the cell membrane.
>> No. 83117
>>83077

Fair enough.
>> No. 83212
File 123914525320.jpg - (51.29KB , 408x276 , 1235493533312.jpg ) [iqdb]
83212
>>83077
>The only actual pure 100% alcohol that would be in stock at a hospital has other chemicals added in
>pure 100%
>other chemicals added in
>> No. 83215
>>83212
I don't know if they use anything else, but if ethanol was denatured solely with methanol, it would still be 100% alcohol. But obviously not pure.
>> No. 83218
>>83212
What that guy said. >>83215
>> No. 83250
>>83215
>I don't know if they use anything else, but if ethanol was denatured solely with methanol, it would still be 100% alcohol. But obviously not pure.

If you were being an immensely pedantic faggot who equivocates one meaning the word "alcohol" with another, yeah. Percentage "alcohol by volume" (and its abbreviation) refers to ethanol and only ethanol, as regulated and enforced by federal law.
>> No. 83254
This thread is showing severe symptoms of update withdrawal.
>> No. 83256
>>83254

Brilliant Enclave scientists are working on a cure as we speak. Courage, my Touhou Project. Courage.
>> No. 83259
File 123916266731.png - (111.80KB , 800x600 , dai_sage.png ) [iqdb]
83259
stop bickering about alcohol.

also, have some pip-fairy
>> No. 83261
>>83254

It doesn't update within three days, and you ask where the updates are? There was a point when this story would go an entire week without updates and we sat there patiently, waiting for awesome to occur. Please wait warmly~
>> No. 83262
*guitar solo*
>> No. 83268
>>83261

That's why I said update "withdrawal" instead of update "deprivation".
>> No. 83309
Update withdrawl: End - 2, Int -1
>> No. 83335
File 12392244151.jpg - (144.25KB , 500x494 , ec92f6c348d49dff0cd5a941c20f0771.jpg ) [iqdb]
83335
>>83256
>> No. 83336
File 123922487760.png - (80.66KB , 600x600 , Daiyousei outline.png ) [iqdb]
83336
>[x] Seek out Miss Ellen for more information as to your half-youkai nature; she should be out of class now.

"Alright, Miss Ellen I guess. She should just be getting out of class."
"Oof. You don't mind if I sit this one out entirely do you?"
"Why? Did you know her or something?"
"Not really, but I'm sure she'll 'recognize' me as some long lost friend. Not that I don't see her as a security issue; it's not like anyone would take her seriously believe her."
“Yeah, anyway I think if a Pip-Boy started talking to her, the cognitive dissonance might render her catatonic.”
“Groovy. Well, I'm going to be—“
Fuck no, you're not.”
“...Shit.” The fairy's foot scuffs at negative space.
“Plot me the fastest course to get me to the the educational facilities; the less time it takes, the less time I'll be have to spend expounding on how horrible a person you are.”
The pouting fairy silently updates your map with a new mark; it looks like a nearby maintenance stairwell. You set off toward it at brisk pace.
“Let's resume our conversation from before; you were just about to say...”
“...sorry.”
“Yes, you're sorry. I'm sorry. Everyone is sorry. You're quite eager to apologize, Dai, but it seems you never tell me what it is you're sorry about. 'I'm sorry that I lied to you, again?' 'Sorry that I played God with your DNA, and even now won't show you exactly what it was I did?'”
The maintenance shafts and tunnels sprawl through the entire superstructure of the Vault, and are always locked to unauthorized entry. That doesn't mean anything when you have connections to the person doing the authorizing. You stand only a few seconds before the red light panel switches to green, allowing you entry. You look down at your map: Four flights up, down a tunnel to the service elevator.
“Max...”
"'Sorry I never bought you any birthday presents.' 'Sorry that I removed all traces of your birth parent, and jealously drove away anyone who might compete for your attention—that is, you know, once I decide to let you know I exist.'” With each parody your voice gets more gravelly. 'Sorry your mother died... under circumstances I refuse to explain... except for saying that it was your fa... your faul...'” It's no use, the indignation has shot your voice. You sit down at the top of a flight of stairs; you can't ask Ellen for help like this, tearing and unable to speak.
One by one the lights in the stairwell wink out, and then your Pip-boy, leaving you in the complete dark, but for one that turns back on over you. The effect is a powerful one, like standing alone on stage under a spotlight, or waiting by a street lamp for someone who will never arrive.
Dai's voice comes not through the deactivated Pip-Boy but the loudspeakers in the floors above you giving her voice a choric and reverberating quality, “You think it's easy on me? To see you crying? Unable to do so much as hold you?”
But then why—“ Your voice escapes you again.
“Why did I never tell you? Why didn't I reveal myself?”
You nod.
“I was afraid. I didn't know what might happen, if you could or couldn't hold the secret, and what would happen to you if nobody believed you, or what might happen to me if they did. Either way, you could've lost a guardian, permanently. I've seen enough of the bad people in this Vault to know that a child needs someone looking after him, even if he doesn't know it.
"And secondly, you know, it took a long to time develop the attitude toward you I was supposed to, Max. I'm a fairy; I didn't have any training at this! Real mothers and newborns experience the imprinting of each other due to the elevation of social bonding hormones, oxytocin, vasopressin, enkephalins, endorphins... For a machine, there ain't no such thing. And human children can't imprint an inanimate object as a person. It was a heavy burden lifted from me when you were born, but it was replaced by a new one: There was now this thing that I created and now had idea what the hell I was supposed to do with it! And the person I'd specifically chosen as the surrogate died in the process of giving birth to you!”
Raspy, “How?”
“Did she die?”
You nod.
“Complications of pregnancy due to...”
Well?”
“It wasn't ecclampsia or anything else that could be predicted or managed. All the half-youkai there ever were had been natural births, and from a human mother, no less.”
...mother wasn't human? Why would they allow an unknown quantity in their 'experiment' and not just choose a regular human female?
“She volunteered. Well, demanded, really.”
“What?”
“Yeah, everyone was against it, even the doctor, Yue, that is—said someone in her condition probably wouldn't survive the process, but they needed her help. A fantastically brilliant biochemist, your mother.”
“'Yue'? How many?”
“How many were there involved? The only ones who were really 'in' on this completely, were me and the surrogate. The others were following just following the experiment guidelines.”
“Experiment?”
“Okay. Max, think about this: Why would Vault-Tec build the Vaults without any way to communicate with the outside or with each other? Why set the Vault door on a time-lock so that it can't be opened in an emergency?”
“The bombs fried all—“
“Fuck the bombs! We were mostly hit with antimatter; there's no EMP burst! Nor is radiation such a problem, and yet they still lined this coffin with enough lead to block radio transmission entirely. They could've run shielded, underground cables between each Vault, but they didn't. And why build so many shelters in the first place when one huge complex would've been cheaper and more efficient?”
”...redundancy?”
“One population dies, the others might live. Makes sense, except when you take into consideration the fucking treasure hunt requirement for the Vaults to be opened. One critical Vault goes kaput, and the others contingent on it will never be unsealed.”
She does have a point, but where is she going with it?
“And another thing: You were acutely conscious of Big Brother the other day in the showers, but Max if you knew the true number of installed surveillance cameras and microphones it would blow your fucking mind!”
“Why that much effort?” Your voice has gotten a bit better.
“Good question, especially when you take into account that nobody is particularly interested in watching or listening to it. I have exabytes of data, untouched, with much of it stored in places that aren't accessible even by the Overseer, which can only mean it's being saved for someone outside.”
“Alright, enough hintsults, Dai. Ren was right, and this place really is a zoo; we just don't know who the spectators are. But what was this about an experiment?”
“The science labs are given a set of experimental goals by Vault-Tec, all ostensibly to increase our ability to survive out in the Wastes. You were one of these experiments; I merely tailored who you would be, not that you would be. The experiment was to see if an implantation of a already fertilized egg in a youkai was a viable method of reproduction. This was part of a series of experiments to solve the extreme degree of infertility inherent in most youkai. A human egg, fertilized by the surrogate's DNA was used, since in vitro attempts at fertilizing youkai eggs were unsuccessful; they thought if they could get a human egg to stick, they'd have a chance at finding out what exactly it was about youkai DNA that was so fragile reproductively. The surrogate and myself knew however that this fertilized egg was actually heavily modified beforehand. For her, this would be to increase expression of survival and growth factors, as well as the expression of aggressive, immunosuppressant antibodies. For me, the grosser anatomical and behavioral traits that would eventually bring you to me today.”
>> No. 83337
File 12392255132.jpg - (101.92KB , 500x800 , Rin Satsuki Erhu.jpg ) [iqdb]
83337
“What went wrong?”
“Nothing. Nothing went wrong.” Dai's smile turns bitter. “It went exactly how she predicted it. The immunosurpressants you produced would prevent her from aborting you, even as her own body was consumed by pathogens. You were delivered at 8:52 PM on Monday, September 22, 2259 Year of our Lord. She held you in her arms for but a minute, when she slipped into a coma and died hours later from septicemia. No one ever had any idea how or why it happened; she was brilliant and crafty, your mother.”
“What was her name?”
“Rin Satsuki, the first friend I had in over a hundred years. She chose your name to be what it was, both because she had a sense of humor, and because she didn't want you tied down by her past.”
“And she was a youkai?”
“Yes.”
“But why?
“She was very sick to begin with. As a kirin before the War—“
“Wait, a kirin? Are you telling me my mother was a unicorn?
“Kid, please, these are beings that sit atop the phoenix and the dragon in the mythological food chain. All that power has it's downside; being innately strong means requiring more faith to subsist. Without a sealed off refuge, like the dragons and their palace, she began to deteriorate. One and a half centuries after the War, she was so waifish and pallid, you'd think a strong breeze would knock her down. Her pride however would not allow her to accept easy death or to merely fade away. So she would be forced to realize her immortality in the way all the mundane creatures of the world do, through her offspring.”
“But I thought you said my DNA was pieced together from scratch?”
“I did. It was.”
“So nothing of Rin Satsuki then remains; even her child is not her child.”
“That's poetic, but it's wrong. Your skill at magic, your charisma, even that tail, were the result of epigenetic heredity—the complex interactions in utero that result in addition, deletion, and altered expression of genes after conception, as well as higher-level traits, like brain development, that are contingent on the interplay between the mother's hormones, and the embryo's encoded response. What's more is that your mitochondrial DNA is hers wholly. You're a highly chimerical being, Max.” Daiyousei blinks up on your Pip-Boy display, and the lights turn back on. “Now if we're done with this heart-to-heart, I want to hear what Ellen has to say on the matter; she was involved too, you know, in the experiment.”
“Really? Why?”
“The same reason we're seeing her now: There's no one in the Vault more skilled in magic.”
“Alright,” you sniffle, standing up, “I've taken enough time feeling sorry for myself.”
“This doesn't change anything I've said; I made a solemn promise to Rin to watch over you. So... don't die, Max.” She sounds genuinely concerned.
“I'll try my best Dai, no matter what kind of deathtrap awaits me... the next time I choose to follow your advice.”
“That's the spirit! Two more flights up, then down the corridor to the lift.”



~♩
“Why do they pump music into a service elevator?”
“Oh,” Dai says. It turns off. “Sorry. It just seemed appropriate.”
“No, it was good thinking on your part. Turn it back on.”
The muzak starts coming through again.
~♩
“Say, Dai, I know you said you wouldn't snoop for me, but you would tell me if Mary and Ren actually started fighting or started a fire in my room, right?”
“What do you take me for? Of course.”
“Huh.” Kind of a brusque reply.
~♩
Odd that you can feel awkward to be in an elevator with someone even when they're not physically present. You can't even fiddle around with your Pip-Boy.
“Something on your mind, Max?” No, but since you asked...
“I'm just wondering about Yue and that KC fellow. You said in the showers before that youkai and humans readily interbred after spell card rules came into effect. But it doesn't seem fair, to either party, to be able to fall in love like that; not for the one who dies, and not for the one still grieving centuries of years.”
“As much as I'd like to start expounding my beliefs on the human condition, Max, I'm still a fairy. Death to us isn't a big deal, and relationships of the quality humans share are few and far between.”
“What about Star, Sunny, and Luna, Dai? You don't think they had regrets?”
“...”
“Death might not be 'a big deal' to someone promised reincarnation, but how can you be certain that will happen in your present state? Fairies are supposed to be creatures of nature; yet you're something more akin to a poltergeist. Even if we get you into this mechanical body, you'd still essentially be possessing a machine.”
“...What do you want me to say, Max?” Ooh, she's snippy now. “Huh? That I'm terrified? Of dying? Of rejection? Of leading the only people who know I exist to their deaths? Of ending up like those three?”
“It would be a start. I've been turning over that contempt versus compassion thing in my head; if you allowed yourself to show a little more vulnerability, you could be downright likable.
She just stares at you, simmering.
“You're cute when you're angry.”
She turns away and bites her finger as if vacillating over something.
~♩
Ding. Your stop.
“...a crock of shit...”
“Dai, stop muttering darkly and point me in the right direction.”
“Oy. Go right, stop when you get to the sixth bulkhead, then exit the maintenance tunnel.”



“Where the dick are we?”
You don't recognize any of this. Looks like apartments, but for those in higher standing than you and your peers.
“Dai, we aren't even near the education complex, are we?”
“The fuck would we be going there for?” She's still pissed off from that reversal earlier.
“Because, you know, Ellen, after school, 3:30.”
“It's a Sunday, genius. No classes on Sunday.”
Oh, right. You deflate somewhat.
“Public area, communicating through sign and text entry only.”
“Right.”
ELLEN'S APARTMENT, EIGHT DOORS DOWN, LEFT
You walk swiftly. The corridor here is tight, but there doesn't seem to be much foot-traffic. Rather than fiberglass and steel, there's actual wallpaper and carpet. Light is provided by the Art Deco wall sconces, instead of the harsh overhead panels in most of the Vault. It doesn't feel homey at all, more like you're in a hotel. Is that actual wood? That's definitely a brass doorknob.
>> No. 83339
File 123922630027.jpg - (390.29KB , 500x705 , Ellen Good Worker.jpg ) [iqdb]
83339
№132

Aureus, Ellen

“She had a last name?”
Dai just shrugs.
YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN FROM HERE.
Fuck.
DON'T BE SUCH A PANTYWAIST.
She disappears from the display on your Pip-Boy.
Well, here goes nothing.
Knock, knock.
A muffled “just a moment”. Good, you were afraid of another one of Dai's snipe hunts.
The door opens, and there she is. Long blond perm with a bow in some variation of red—carnation this time. Unnaturally bright green eyes. Lacy dress in carmine and white. Same blank smile. Does she know who you are?
“Hello, Miss Ellen. I was told I could find you here.”
A blink.
You sigh inwardly. You were hoping to get her in a more lucid state, but maybe you can get the ball rolling again.
“Schlomo Fitzwilliams, insurance broker.” You hold up your hand for her to shake.
She doesn't take it. She just cocks her head to the side.
“...Sorry to bother you, ma'am. I'll come back some other time.”
Rejected. You turn around you leave, when you hear a chuckle.
“Ah ha ha ha! Maximilian, you're always such a clown! Where are you going?”
You turn back, she's waving you in the door. Okay, so she is lucid. Just slow. Or fucking with you.
“Come on in, you're just the person I wanted!”
Not damn likely, but if she can make up her own excuses for you being here, then that's less work for you.
The inside is even more ritzy than the halls. Wallpaper over drywall. Paintings. Leather bound books. The smell of rich mahogany. What's most peculiar is that all the lighting is seems to be oil lamps and candles, probably enchanted. There's posters framed on the walls; they look like they're from old movies. The woman depicted looks startlingly like Miss Ellen. Was she a movie star? How come you'd never heard of this?
“Miss Ellen?”
“The kitchen, dear!”
You step into the kitchen, just as gorgeous as the rest of the apartment, and far, far larger than your compact unit. Hmm... This is the kind of place you really could prepare duck a l'orange. Ah, there's Miss Ellen standing by the counter and takes three tea cups out of the cabinet. Three? Oh, Sokrates, maybe? Where is he, anyway? Always so good natured that one, which was a good thing, being the only pet kept in the entire Vault; you'd played with him a lot as a child. Now you know that he doesn't like you particularly, rather he probably sees everyone as the same owner. That's his tail there, by the chair, he must be sitting on Meira's lap.
Uncanny how Miss Ellen turns around just to see the paper-white mask of horror on your face.
She chuckles, “Come now, Maximilian, surely my tea isn't that bad.”
Meira must've heard that, but she doesn't move in the slightest. Her sword is at her side, but she wouldn't draw it here, right?
“May, I know you take three lumps. And you, Maximilian?”
May? You thought you were the only one she referred to by a pet name. Does she come here a lot?

[ ] “Um, three for me as well!”
[ ] “None, thank you; I'm sweet enough.”
[ ] “A drop of honey, actually, if you have it.”
[ ] “You know, I don't think I'll be staying long.”

[ ] Approach Meira while Miss Ellen is in the kitchen
-[ ] Ask her what she's doing here. Be open and friendly.
-[ ] Ask her what she's doing here. Keep it down; you don't want to be overheard.
-[ ] Reveal that you're armed; even she's not dumb enough to bring a sword to a gunfight.
-[ ] Just sit down. Avoid eye contact.
-[ ] Just tell her to keep cool. You wouldn't want her doing anything EAR-isponsible.
-[ ] Threaten her you'll mince vegetables with her wakizashi if she makes any fuss.
-[ ] Write-in.
[ ] Help Miss Ellen with the tea.
-[ ] Ask her if Meira visits often.
-[ ] Ask her what she wanted help with.
-[ ] Write-in.
[ ] Once the tea is ready...
-[ ] Ask Miss Ellen about the posters.
-[ ] Ask Miss Ellen if she could tell you anything about your half-youkai nature.
-[ ] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about Rin Satsuki.
-[ ] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about kirin.
-[ ] Wait and hope Meira will leave before asking anything.
-[ ] Write-in.



fucked up the formatting
>> No. 83342
>Ellen Good Worker.jpg

So I knew this is where Ellen comes from, but I've never seen it before.

...I don't suppose you have scans?
>> No. 83343
>>83342

No, unfortunately.
>> No. 83347
[x] “A drop of honey, actually, if you have it.”
[x] Approach Meira while Miss Ellen is in the kitchen
-[x] Ask her what she's doing here. Be open and friendly.
-[x] Try to casually check with her how long she plans on staying for before making any thorough plans questioning Miss Ellen.
-[x] If she starts getting out of hand, you know enough ways to get her to back down.
[x] Help Miss Ellen with the tea.
-[x] Ask her if Meira visits often.
[x] Once the tea is ready...
-[x] Wait and hope Meira will leave before asking anything too personal. In the meantime...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen about the posters.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen why you were just the person she wanted.
--[x] If it doesn't look like Meira is leaving anytime soon, try to convince her, or blackmail her, to leave on the grounds of personal issues you want to discuss with Miss Ellen.
-[x] Once she leaves...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen if she could tell you anything about your half-youkai nature.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about Rin Satsuki.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about kirin.

Handling Meira shouldn't be too much of an issue. Try to get a firm handle on how long she'll be there for, and kill time accordingly. Once she leaves, then we can push onwards and find everything out.
>> No. 83348
[x] “A drop of honey, actually, if you have it.”
[x] Approach Meira while Miss Ellen is in the kitchen
-[x] Ask her what she's doing here. Be open and friendly.
-[x] Try to casually check with her how long she plans on staying for before making any thorough plans questioning Miss Ellen.
-[x] If she starts getting out of hand, you know enough ways to get her to back down.
[x] Help Miss Ellen with the tea.
-[x] Ask her if Meira visits often.
[x] Once the tea is ready...
-[x] Wait and hope Meira will leave before asking anything too personal. In the meantime...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen about the posters.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen why you were just the person she wanted.
--[x] If it doesn't look like Meira is leaving anytime soon, try to convince her, or blackmail her, to leave on the grounds of personal issues you want to discuss with Miss Ellen.
-[x] Once she leaves...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen if she could tell you anything about your half-youkai nature.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about Rin Satsuki.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about kirin.
>> No. 83349
[x] “A drop of honey, actually, if you have it.”
[x] Approach Meira while Miss Ellen is in the kitchen
-[x] Ask her what she's doing here. Be open and friendly.
-[x] Try to casually check with her how long she plans on staying for before making any thorough plans questioning Miss Ellen.
-[x] If she starts getting out of hand, you know enough ways to get her to back down. (Threaten her you'll mince vegetables with her wakizashi if she makes any fuss.)
[x] Help Miss Ellen with the tea.
-[x] Ask her if Meira visits often.
[x] Once the tea is ready...
-[x] Wait and hope Meira will leave before asking anything too personal. In the meantime...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen about the posters.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen why you were just the person she wanted.
--[x] If it doesn't look like Meira is leaving anytime soon, try to convince her, or blackmail her, to leave on the grounds of personal issues you want to discuss with Miss Ellen.
-[x] Once she leaves...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen if she could tell you anything about your half-youkai nature.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about Rin Satsuki.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about kirin.
>> No. 83351
[X] “None, thank you; I'm sweet enough.”

[X] Approach Meira while Miss Ellen is in the kitchen.
-[ ] Ask her what she's doing here. Be open and friendly.
-[X]<Perception> Check Meira for anything out of the usual.
[X] Help Miss Ellen with the tea.
-[X] Ask her if Meira visits often.
[X] Once the tea is ready...
-[X] Ask if Meira knows anything about kirin.

Since she's here, we may as well make the most of her.
>> No. 83352
I forgot to put this in the update, but the number of votes required to win will be increased to seven (7) until further notice.

OP figures this'll be a bit more of a buffer so the good write-ins can gestate.
>> No. 83355
>>83352
Here's a suggestion: instead of "first to x" just write whenever you feel ready and go with the highest.

Polite sage for off-topic.
>> No. 83356
[x] “A drop of honey, actually, if you have it.”
[x] Approach Meira while Miss Ellen is in the kitchen
-[x] Ask her what she's doing here. Be open and friendly.
-[x] Try to casually check with her how long she plans on staying for before making any thorough plans questioning Miss Ellen.
-[x] If she starts getting out of hand, you know enough ways to get her to back down.
[x] Help Miss Ellen with the tea.
-[x] Ask her if Meira visits often.
[x] Once the tea is ready...
-[x] Wait and hope Meira will leave before asking anything too personal. In the meantime...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen about the posters.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen why you were just the person she wanted.
--[x] If it doesn't look like Meira is leaving anytime soon, try to convince her, or blackmail her, to leave on the grounds of personal issues you want to discuss with Miss Ellen.
-[x] Once she leaves...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen if she could tell you anything about your half-youkai nature.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about Rin Satsuki.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about kirin.
>> No. 83357
[x] “A drop of honey, actually, if you have it.”
[x] Approach Meira while Miss Ellen is in the kitchen
-[x] Ask her what she's doing here. Be open and friendly.
-[x] Try to casually check with her how long she plans on staying for before making any thorough plans questioning Miss Ellen.
-[x] If she starts getting out of hand, you know enough ways to get her to back down.
[x] Help Miss Ellen with the tea.
-[x] Ask her if Meira visits often.
[x] Once the tea is ready...
-[x] Wait and hope Meira will leave before asking anything too personal. In the meantime...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen about the posters.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen why you were just the person she wanted.
--[x] If it doesn't look like Meira is leaving anytime soon, try to convince her, or blackmail her, to leave on the grounds of personal issues you want to discuss with Miss Ellen.
-[x] Once she leaves...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen if she could tell you anything about your half-youkai nature.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about Rin Satsuki.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about kirin.
>> No. 83358
[x] “A drop of honey, actually, if you have it.”
[x] Approach Meira while Miss Ellen is in the kitchen
-[x] Ask her what she's doing here. Be open and friendly.
-[x] Try to casually check with her how long she plans on staying for before making any thorough plans questioning Miss Ellen.
-[x] If she starts getting out of hand, you know enough ways to get her to back down.
[x] Help Miss Ellen with the tea.
-[x] Ask her if Meira visits often.
[x] Once the tea is ready...
-[x] Wait and hope Meira will leave before asking anything too personal. In the meantime...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen about the posters.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen why you were just the person she wanted.
--[x] If it doesn't look like Meira is leaving anytime soon, try to convince her, or blackmail her, to leave on the grounds of personal issues you want to discuss with Miss Ellen.
-[x] Once she leaves...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen if she could tell you anything about your half-youkai nature.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about Rin Satsuki.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about kirin.

This'll be number 6 I guess. Great job with the story but I noticed a LOT of mistakes in that last update.
>> No. 83359
[x] “A drop of honey, actually, if you have it.”
[x] Approach Meira while Miss Ellen is in the kitchen
-[x] Ask her what she's doing here. Be open and friendly.
-[x] Try to casually check with her how long she plans on staying for before making any thorough plans questioning Miss Ellen.
-[x] If she starts getting out of hand, you know enough ways to get her to back down.
[x] Help Miss Ellen with the tea.
-[x] Ask her if Meira visits often.
[x] Once the tea is ready...
-[x] Wait and hope Meira will leave before asking anything too personal. In the meantime...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen about the posters.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen why you were just the person she wanted.
--[x] If it doesn't look like Meira is leaving anytime soon, try to convince her, or blackmail her, to leave on the grounds of personal issues you want to discuss with Miss Ellen.
-[x] Once she leaves...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen if she could tell you anything about your half-youkai nature.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about Rin Satsuki.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about kirin.
>> No. 83360
[x] “A drop of honey, actually, if you have it.”
[x] Approach Meira while Miss Ellen is in the kitchen
-[x] Ask her what she's doing here. Be open and friendly.
-[x] Try to casually check with her how long she plans on staying for before making any thorough plans questioning Miss Ellen.
-[x] If she starts getting out of hand, you know enough ways to get her to back down.
[x] Help Miss Ellen with the tea.
-[x] Ask her if Meira visits often.
[x] Once the tea is ready...
-[x] Wait and hope Meira will leave before asking anything too personal. In the meantime...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen about the posters.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen why you were just the person she wanted.
--[x] If it doesn't look like Meira is leaving anytime soon, try to convince her, or blackmail her, to leave on the grounds of personal issues you want to discuss with Miss Ellen.
-[x] Once she leaves...
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen if she could tell you anything about your half-youkai nature.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about Rin Satsuki.
--[x] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about kirin.

Here ya go.
>> No. 83362
Really? We're not gonna do anything regarding Meira other than ask how long we have to wait before she buggers off?
>> No. 83363
File 123924930480.jpg - (849.75KB , 800x1136 , Meira busty.jpg ) [iqdb]
83363
>>83362

Isn't it sad Meira ;_;
>> No. 83365
We're still asking her what she is doing there. If you want to ask her more things, go for it. Throw them in there.
>> No. 83370
[M] “A drop of honey, actually, if you have it.”
[a] Approach Meira while Miss Ellen is in the kitchen
-[​s] Ask her what she's doing here. Be open and friendly.
-[t] Try to casually check with her how long she plans on staying for before making any thorough plans questioning Miss Ellen.
-[e] Ask her how she knows Miss Ellen.
-[r] ((( SOME MORE MEIRA INTERACTION; I DON'T KNOW.)))
-[​S] If she starts getting out of hand, you know enough ways to get her to back down.
[p] Help Miss Ellen with the tea.
-[a] Ask her if Meira visits often.
[r] Once the tea is ready...
-[r] Wait and hope Meira will leave before asking anything too personal. In the meantime...
--[k] Ask Miss Ellen about the posters.
--[!] Ask Miss Ellen why you were just the person she wanted.
>[x] If it doesn't look like Meira is leaving anytime soon, try to convince her, or blackmail her, to leave on the grounds of personal issues you want to discuss with Miss Ellen.
No.

-[~] If you can get her to leave:
--[z] Ask Miss Ellen if she could tell you anything about your half-youkai nature.
--[e] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about Rin Satsuki.
--[☆] Ask Miss Ellen what she could tell you about kirin.

Mister author person, you are a fucking inspiration, you know that?
>> No. 83371
>>83370
Also jesus christ I almost hope I never have to do that again with my vote marks. I like the ze and that's it, dammit. Now I had to go and fag it up like that.

...I say "almost" because having so many things to say means another orgasmically long update, and I fucking love those.

>>83355
This is good advice, mostly. The limit is there to encourage votes.

>>81128
Any idea what the translation of this is?
>> No. 83373
>>83358

I didn't.
Besides, it was a small price to pay for swift relief from the horrors of update withdrawal.
>> No. 83374
By
>[x] If it doesn't look like Meira is leaving anytime soon, try to convince her, or blackmail her, to leave on the grounds of personal issues you want to discuss with Miss Ellen.

I was trying to get across that we can certainly sit there and talk with her, but we came here for a reason, and if for some reason she won't leave, then we'll explore making her leave. No need to be a dick unless we have to. We can't really talk to Ellen unless she's gone, at least regarding any of the stuff that matters.
>> No. 83375
Honey? In an underground sardine can sealed off from the rest of the world for 200 years? Sure let me just go break open a honeycomb.
>> No. 83376
Synthetic honey more than likely, just like the majority of the beer in the place.
>> No. 83413
Okay. Writing is begun. Wall ETA 7 minutes.
>> No. 83469
Seven minutes?!
ABORT! ABORT!
Get out of there!

Writefag? WRITEFAG! WRITEFAAAAAAAAAG!
>> No. 83501
File 123931721589.jpg - (28.26KB , 399x300 , jekporkins.jpg ) [iqdb]
83501
>>83469

Think I've got a problem here...

I can hold it.
>> No. 83543
File 123933889857.jpg - (10.03KB , 250x200 , maximillian.jpg ) [iqdb]
83543
>>83469

The Darkness... The Darkness comes!!

It WILL consume us all!
>> No. 83549
>>83376
ah, High fructose corn syrup. Is there anything it can't do?
>> No. 83550
>>83549
Bring his mom back to life.
>> No. 83551
File 123935583156.jpg - (68.34KB , 269x282 , Eaton.jpg ) [iqdb]
83551
>>83550
For that sort of thing, you'd need some sort of ark, probably.

Not to worry, though. We have top men working on it now.

Top...men.
>> No. 83610
>>83501

One more pass...
>> No. 83716
>>83551

I lol'd. Writing for serious this time.
>> No. 83734
File 123946333183.png - (189.79KB , 600x754 , 354d2e4472a209b87da2d5124376923b.png ) [iqdb]
83734
We left them alone too long...
>> No. 83742
>>83734

Damn you and your unified physics, Renko!
Normal people major in non-theoretical branches of science.
>> No. 84248
File 123980450845.jpg - (74.11KB , 373x760 , Meira wastes.jpg ) [iqdb]
84248
Update mostly written. Today. For certain.

Have some Wastelander Meira.
>> No. 84326
>>84248

Hooray!
>> No. 84414
will upload morning asap. collapsing. bleck.
>> No. 84415
>>84414
I look forward to it.
>> No. 84650
>>84414

>will upload morning asap
>09/04/15(Wed)23:00

>09/04/17(Fri)00:30
щ(゚Д゚щ)
>> No. 84651
>>84650

See

>>84441
>> No. 84655
This is where not having a topic title throws people off
>> No. 84932
ℙⅈ𝕡-𝔽𝕒ⅈ𝕣𝕪 ⓽𝟘𝟘𝟘
╔════════════════════════════════╗
╠════════════════════════════════╣
║                                        ║
╠════════════════════════════════╣
╚════════════════════════════════╝
>> No. 84935
ℙⅈ𝕡-𝔽𝕒ⅈ𝕣𝕪 ⓽𝟘𝟘𝟘
╔════════════════════════════════╗
╠════════════════════════════════╣
║                             ║
╠════════════════════════════════╣
╚════════════════════════════════╝
>> No. 84936
ℙⅈ𝕡-𝔽𝕒ⅈ𝕣𝕪 ⓽𝟘𝟘𝟘
╔════════════════════════════════╗
╠════════════════════════════════╣
║ ║
╠════════════════════════════════╣
╚════════════════════════════════╝
>> No. 84938
ℙⅈ𝕡-𝔽𝕒ⅈ𝕣𝕪 ⓽𝟘𝟘𝟘
╔════════════════════════════════╗
╠════════════════════════════════╣
║ ║
╠════════════════════════════════╣
╚════════════════════════════════╝
>> No. 84960
ℙⅈ𝕡𝔽𝕒ⅈ𝕣𝕪 ⓽𝟘𝟘𝟘
╔Status═════════════════════════
║Max Rockatansky
╟──────────────────────────────

╠══════════════════════════════╣

╚══════════════════════════════╝
>> No. 84961
ℙⅈ𝕡𝔽𝕒ⅈ𝕣𝕪 ⓽𝟘𝟘𝟘
╔STATUS═════════════════════════
║Max Rockatansky
╟STATUS─────────────────────────

╠══════════════════════════════╣

╚══════════════════════════════╝
>> No. 85042
ℙⅈ𝕡𝔽𝕒ⅈ𝕣𝕪 ⓽𝟘𝟘𝟘
╔STATUS═══════════════════════
║Max Rockatansky ║
╟STATUS────────────────────────║
║ ║
╠══════════════════════════════╣
║ ║
╚══════════════════════════════╝

How's this?
>> No. 85044
>>85042

Very nice, Chuckles, but you forgot your sage.