[Return]
Archived Thread

File 133996522234.jpg - (24.47KB , 438x438 , 1336351509612.jpg ) [iqdb]
158673 No. 158673
Thread 18 >>144306
Thread 19 >>148938
Thread 20 >>156003


In which justice is... INEVITABLE.



[X] Kirisame’s Shop – intercept Youmu first.
[X] Cirno
[X] DOUK

“Aye-Aye, Commodore,” you say, snapping a sarcastic salute at Mokou. “I’ll run down Youmu, then, and you and Keine can chat with bunny-babe.”

“What about meeeeeee~” Cirno drones, toppling against your legs limply.

“You’re coming with me, squirt,” you say, ruffling her hair. “And Duke.”

“You’re taking Cirno... into Kirisame’s shop... after the bullshit you pulled the other day?” Mokou says, utterly aghast. “Are you a complete idiot, or are some parts still missing?”

“I have Duke this time,” you say with a smug air of knowing.

Duke turns to Mokou and meets her default hostile glower with the smooth, overwhelming pressure of the Serious Look. Mokou glares back, unblinking, weathering the intense gravity only a regal canine can express.

“... fine,” Mokou relents in a low voice.

Duke’s granite visage nods ponderously. Dropping one mighty hand on Cirno’s little shoulder, he wheels about staidly and strides away with Cirno in tow. Mokou rolls her eyes and turns away herself, marching down the street.

Keine sends you a glance and a strained little smile – oh, the trials of friendship – and then mouths two words.

Be careful.

You smirk, and mouth two words back.

Be prepared.


----------


Kirisme’s shop is bustling with shoppers when your trio arrive, with even more passers-by peering through the windows curiously. You turn to ask Duke something, and find thin air. Someone chuffs from nearer the ground. You look down to find a handsome Alsatian-breed canine looking over his sleek black muzzle at you, triangular ears perked attentively.

“Good choice,” you say. All things considered, you need the lowest profile possible for this encounter, and that’s-

“-oh maaan the witch-bitch’s daddy’s crap-peddling place?”

-going to be hard enough already.

“Best behavior, Cirno,” you admonish her. “We’re just here to catch Youmu.”

Her eyes light up. “Like the GHAST-BLASTERS?”

“W-what?”

“The ghast-blasters! They zap people with lightning guns and then they slide this magic box under ghouly thangs and it’s like SWHOOOOOOOM-BAM!” she concludes with a vigorous clap. “Sucks ‘im in for ever and ev-”

“No!”

“But she’s a ghost!”

“Half-ghost.”

“Ghost enough!”

“We’re not here to catch her!”

“But you just said we were.”

You sigh gustily. “Blame the translation spell. Anyways. Let’s go.”

Cirno hangs back, prompting a quizzical look from Duke. “I can’t.”

“What? Why?”

“Papa ‘Risame threw me out and said not to come back.”

“What’d you do?”

“Nothing!” Cirno wails, stomping her foot. “I just... I was with some friends and, you know, it all got...”

“Complicated,” you finish.

“Yeah, and-”

“-unwise actions were taken by your friends, that you participated in because you blindly trusted their judgment.”

“Yeah! And then-”

“-you lagged behind to explain the situation, being the responsible, innocent and unwitting party while your so-called ‘friends’ ran out the back door like the cowards they were.”

“YEAH!” Cirno agrees. “Wow, how do you know it so well?”

You gently clamp your hand over Duke’s muzzle.

“Lucky guess.”

Duke settles for a small sneeze to pollute your air of dignity. “Well, don’t worry. Today you’re with me, a respectable gentlemen.”

Duke’s sneeze is none too small this time, and even Cirno gives you a look.

“Well, I mean, I’m good at bluster and I know big words-”

Dog and Fairy glance at one another, mouths taut with doubt.

“I’ll make polite threats, okay?”

Cirno’s frown radiates dubiousness. “Just let him do the talking, okay?” she says, patting Duke’s flank. The Archon chuffs, front paws hopping off the ground as he sounds his assent.

You emit a huff of your own. “This is why wizards seclude themselves in towers and train dragons to eat visitors,” you retort indignantly. Knowing when to cut your losses, you march into Kirisame’s shop, a man on a mission.

The place is full of people, mostly curious browsers. Nonetheless, sheer volume is keeping the proprietor’s mechanical cash-box ching-ching’ing steadily. Shelves and walls are crammed with a bewildering array of items, all useful in their own way, though no two for the same person, it’d seem. Alchemical beakers and tubes sit between tea-pots and paintbrushes, books are stacked haphazardly near combs and eyeglasses, and an area near the door plays host to gaudy attire of all kinds and sizes. You even take a moment to admire a stack of little glass jars with threading for metal caps built right into the glass.

“Gerber,” you marvel, reading the maker’s mark on the little tin lids. Dwarven? High-quality, practical, no frills – makes sense.

“Lookitlookitlookitlookitlookit!” Cirno chants urgently, yanking on your pantleg and pointing. You look over and see Youmu plucking absently at some reams of colorful cloth.

“It’s Youmu!” Cirno declares proudly.

“Indeed it is,” you marvel, and move to intercept. Youmu’s still plucking at the cloth absently, other arm folded against her breast, supporting a heavily-laden grocery basket in the crook of her arm.

“Youmu?” you call. “It’s me. Magic-man.”

Youmu turns, and you see she’s approaching three-quarters ghost at this point. Dark hollows under bleary eyes betray her exhaustion, but she still stands straight and bears her heavy basket stiffly.

You grimace. “Been working hard, I see.”

Youmu’s chin rises and her spine tenses like a guitar string tightening at the tuning peg’s turn. “There has been much work to do.”

“Pruning weeds or pruning souls?”

“You know what my vocation is,” Youmu says stiffly, her ghost half orbiting her with measured pace. “I. Hunt. Goasts.

On cue, Youmu’s ghostly half orbits between you, reminding you about your magical graffiti the other day.

“So how has your hunting gone?” Youmu bites out, crossing her arms across her chest. “You get membership to the local racists club yet?”

You almost tell Youmu to stick her ghost-half on a stick and toast it, but Cirno’s nervous tug on your pantleg gives you pause. You rest your hand on Cirno’s head, rubbing her hair reassuringly.

“Youmu, I’m sorry.”

The corners of her mouth twitch with surprise.

“You were making Cirno sad, and I didn’t take kindly to it.” You stand with hand on fairy’s head, resolute.

The gardener of Hakugyokurou examines you carefully, then glances at Cirno, thinking. With great deliberation, she unfolds her arms.

“I understand,” she relents. “Thank you.”

You nod formally. “To answer your question, I did get to the bottom of that ‘club.’ Long story short, they’re not behind it.”

“Oh,” Youmu says, sagging a little.

“What’s running you so ragged?”

“Keeping up with my quotas while investigating the matter of enslaved spirits,” she replies. “I’ve stumbled across several more in the course of my usual duties, but none were any more forthcoming than the one on Lady Kamishirasawa’s lawn.”

“You smack’em with that cutlery-”

“-ancestral blade of the Konpaku line-”

“-your grandma’s cutlery and they remember what ‘et em, right?”

Youmu closes her eyes and exhales a long, slow breath. “It is rather more nuanced than that.”

“Humor me,” you say sweetly.

Youmu touches the hilt of the shorter sword, worn on her left side. “The Hakurouken is said to ‘cut through a person’s confusion.’ By dispelling their confusion, they’re aided in reaching Nirvana.”

“Say whatnow?”

“Heaven.”

Your mouth quirks as you contemplate that. “How does banishing confusion equate crossing over? Most ghosts stick around because of a grudge or an obsession. ‘Unfinished business’ and all that.”

“Very rare, those,” Youmu says irritably. “It works because – okay, ghosts are primarily memories, see?”

“Not really,” you say, frowning. “Spirits still have the consciousness of the person, the soul, not just a record of their memory.”

Youmu sighs, her free hand planting on her hip. “That is your consciousness. Your soul is shaped by your experiences, the choices you’ve made and most importantly what lessons you learned from them. Like a sculptor shaping a block of stone into a statue. The body is just... the vessel, the machinery.”

You nod, surprised at Youmu’s use of analogy. You suspect you’re hearing one of Yuyuko’s lectures second-hand. “And this is important because...?”

“Death is traumatic. Loss of the body, the vessel, lets the memories drift apart. Lose their proper order. Without a definite end-point to a life, like a proper burial and a headstone, it’s even worse. That’s why ghosts are little blobby things, most of the time.” She sighs. “It’s also why they go wandering and have short attention spans.”

“Unlike the ones that tried to waste us the other day.”

“Right. They were given coherence – remembrance – so they’d be useful as tools.”

You think on that a moment. “And the Hakurouken reverses that... so the spirit can achieve what? Enlightenment? Then they can go on to heaven?”

“Well-”

“So why don’t you just smack them all with your truth-blade, instead of leading ghost-herds through the sky?”

“I don’t have the authority!” Youmu objects. “Only the Yama can decide who’s worthy to reach Heaven.”

“The what!?

“...A death god,” Youmu says, regarding you strangely. “Judges of souls. They decide where a spirit goes upon death.”

“Yeah, with six frikkin afterlives in this loony bin I guess you would need somebody to sort ‘em,” you grumble.

“What?”

You count off on your fingers. “Heaven, Hell, Higan, the Netherworld, Makai...”

“Makai is the demon realm,” Youmu informs you. She sets down her grocery basket and adopts a formal stance, one finger raised – a little like Keine when she goes all scholastic on you. “Heaven is for just, enlightened spirits, Hell for the wicked, and the Netherworld is for guiltless spirits awaiting reincarnation.”

“And Higan?”

“Just a waiting area on the other size of the Sanzu river.”

Your ears prick up. “River?”

“The barrier between the worlds of living and dead. A death-god ferries souls across it... when she can be bothered to... and the river imparts forgetfulness itself.” Youmu grips the hilt of her shortsword protectively. “A deliberate part of the process. Because it’s for the Yama to decide who ascends to Heaven, not me. Understand?”

Your face goes slack as you check into the Hotel Cogitating.

“... I guess not.”

Your mind races through the crash-course in Gensyokan history Keine gave you the day you arrived. Specifically, the part about the Hakueri Border and who formed it-

“I am a massive idiot,” you state numbly.

Duke whuffs an affirmation.

“Stuff it,” you mutter, rubbing your chin pensively. Youmu maintains a politely neutral expression. “That river – the river Styx, as I know it. Runs through Hell, all of Hell, from Gehenna on down. Hell was always Hell!”

Youmu nods politely, favoring the lunatic. “Oh, dammit,” you say irritably. “I was confused by how Gensokyo seems to have its own private heavens and hells... it doesn’t. Just seemed like it, because of the artificial barriers!”

Youmu’s ghost-half orbits her sedately as she displays the perfectly blank expression of the well-disciplined and utterly confused.

“Well. This place isn’t a full-fledged demiplane, per se. It’s a corner of the larger Material plane walled off behind a powerful dimensional barrier. I was mistaking similar planar pockets for entirely separate demi-planes because I’m a moron.”

Youmu’s face is as expressionless as her ghost-half, which doesn’t have a face.

“You know where I’m from, right?”

“.... Outside,” Youmu states simply.

“It’s a little more nuanced than that,” you say dryly. “Like, here’s your universe-” you hold up a fist – “and here’s my universe-” you hold up the other – “and you move between them via the Ethereal, but they’re both in the middle of the Outer Planes, see?”

Youmu’s gaze cautiously pans from one fist to the other, then bores into your eyes.

“No. No, I do not see anything.”

“Um.” You think. “You have some paper?”

Youmu passes over a notebook with her shopping list in it. You turn to a fresh page and brandish a nub of pencil. “Okay.” You draw three concentric circles on the paper – all lopsided, of course. Geometer was never in the cards for you. “Outermost circle, that’s the Outer Planes. Heaven and Hell and No Fun Allowed all go here. Second circle, elemental planes. Fire and water and elementals oh my. And the center, the Material Plane, where all elements combine in equal measure. That’s the real world, so to speak.”

Youmu frowns at the paper. “And where are you from?”

“The center! But a different center.”

“Um.”

“There’s, more then one Material, you see...” you slash lines through the center circle to create more Material planes. “And space between them for the Ethereal...” more lines- “...and the Shadow...” yet more lines- “and the Astral covers it all-” you scribble a haze over the whole thing, which now looks like leaden plaid.

Youmu’s two halves give you a look that can only be called deadpan.

“Fukkit.” You rub out the mess with a bit of wax from your pocket. Then you draw a few little islands in the center of the paper, complete with palm trees, and waves between them. “Okay, the common analogy is of islands in a sea. The islands are our separate worlds, and you can move between them through this sea. That’s the Ethereal Plane. My worlds on the other side of that ocean.”

Youmu nods. “But they all share the same heaven and hell,” she says, pointing at the outermost circle.

“Right.”

“So where’s the Netherworld?”

“In the sea,” you say. “I think it’s in the deep Ethereal.”

“What’s this Ethereal?”

“It’s a coexistent plane with the Material. With us right now, in fact. The same place, just slightly out-of-phase with the extant Universe, you could say.”

Youmu frowns. “But an ocean only touches the shores of islands, it doesn’t cover them.”

“Um.” You scratch your chin with the pencil’s blunt end. “Well, only the Deep Ethereal doesn’t touch. But the Netherworld is unlike the Ethereal, the colors and contrasts, the- the feel has a bit of the Shadow to it.”

“What!?” Youmu says in alarm. “It’s not shady at all!”

“The color reversals are exactly like looking at the Material from a vortex on the Plane of Shadow-”

“The what?”

“Another transitive plane, like the Ethereal. Except it’s coexistent and coterminous with other Planes, not just other Materiel planes-”

“What!?” Youmu plants her hands on her hips and leans in, peering at your diagram. “Where’s the shadow!?”

You add shading to the waves. “There.”

She glares at you, unsatisfied.

“Anyways. The Netherworld confuses because it has characteristics of all three transitive Planes-”

Three!?

“Yeah, the Astral-”

Youmu groans-

“-which connects to everywhere, including the Shadow and the Ethereal. But the Shadow and the Ethereal don’t actually border each other, but they’re simultaneously present in the Netherworld...” you muse, tapping the pencil against the notebook. “The barrier in the clouds had actual gates, must be artificial, like the one that seals Gensokyo, so if Yukari can do that she could- dissolve other barriers? All three transitive planes, three realities coincident in spacetime? Or is it a naturally occurring spot in the universe-”

Duke emits an anguished whine as he collapses across Youmu’s feet, expressing deep sympathy for her plight.

“Wait,” Cirno interjects, stealing the diagram from you. “If the Ethers and the Shade doesn’t mix, then...” her face scrunches with concentration – “then you’ve got islands that are underwater in a sea that’s made of two kinds of water that’s in the same place at the same time but doesn’t touch.”

“Sounds about right,” Youmu agrees dryly.

Mokou was right. Gensokyo High never had a snowball’s chance in hell.

“Yeah well fuck that school’s out,” you mutter. “Back to hunting down bad guys and slaying their faces off. What did you manage to get out of ghooorrrrrkh,” you terminate as something hard and wooden clamps across your windpipe and something pleasantly soft presses to your back.

“The other thing we have in common,” Marisa whispers into your ear. “We’re both book thieves.”

“Gkhhrrrgk,” you agree, flailing wildly at Duke. Duke simply cocks his canine head, and you can almost hear his deep, authoritative voice in your head. Given your record with books belonging to others, I believe we should hear out the feisty blonde’s case. Bastard. Miserable rotten Lawful bastard.

“What we don’t have in common is, I’m not a filthy fucking coward hypocrite,” Marisa continues. “Where’s my book, Wizard? Where’s my fucking book?

From nearby, you hear the click of a camera shutter. “Oh, my. Erotic asphyxiation. Two girls, one wizard.”

You feel Marisa stiffen like a board, and lament your inability to voice the apropos analogy as darkness edges into your vision.

“AYA!” Marisa rages. “You! YOU! HOW DARE-”

“He promised me an interview,” Aya says sweetly, “and if you kill him, I’ll have to run something in the paper tomorrow, ay?”

You run through your mental armory quickly, trying to select something mildly forgiving on property damage and the continued survival of your nearby companions – in other words, subtle.

Becoming a magic-immune iron dragon swimming in lava at the speed of light suddenly seems slightly less appealing.

Slightly.

Near your legs you feel the temperature drop sharply, and you know Cirno’s about to take serious issue with your new playmates. And from what you’ve seen the little fairy has impressive power, but little finesse. Probably why you get along so well.

“Gkhrk?” you muse philosophically.

“Give it up, punk,” Marisa snarls. “Not even Feathers McFucksalot can save you now. Nothing can stop me from getting my research back, now.

On cue, the front door of Kirisme’s shop is smashed clean off the hinges. The conversation and murmur of customers ceases instantly, and in the shocking, abrupt silence only the massive, ponderous sound of steel feet stomping across the floor can be heard, measured drum-beats pacing the executioner’s stride.

At the end of the aisle appears a mechanical man, his emotionless steel face and hard, glittering eyes focused squarely on you. His heavy blade is drawn with the dramatic shing! of metal on metal, for his scabbard, like everything save his swirling red cape, is metallic.

“Wizard,” speaks the Inevitable. “Your library book... is overdue.”



[ ] MARISA HE’S AFTER YOUR BOOK
[ ] Aya, I’ll owe you an exclusive on anything plus that interview if you get me the fuck out of here!
[ ] Lawful Stupid + Schmuck Bait = PROBLEM SOLVED.
[ ] Other?

>> No. 158674
File 133996577663.gif - (589.91KB , 300x254 , 1334598125528.gif ) [iqdb]
158674
Okay. Re-posted the thread with a much better and much more natural conversation with Youmu, adjusted for Wiznon's competency levels. Also I had time to edit for line breaks, executed wordy run-ons and, at long last, I'm using then/than somewhat correctly, hooray!

For convenience's sake, the write-ins people were voting for in the aborted thread are as follows:

[ ] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.

[ ] Ask if the book belongs to Patchouli
-[ ] If yes, suggest everyone go over to the SDM so you all can sort this out.
-[ ] If no, Lawful Stupid + Schmuck Bait = PROBLEM SOLVED.

Don't usually do this, but, story note!

-- You did swipe a book from Marisa when you left her place (many, many threads ago.) T'was full of research notes, including alchemical equations on using magic mushroom powder as a reagent.

All other queries will be answered by the next update~
>> No. 158675
File 133996590621.png - (122.50KB , 534x400 , swbounce.png ) [iqdb]
158675
>>158674
[ ] Ask if the book belongs to Patchouli
-[ ] If yes, suggest everyone go over to the SDM so you all can sort this out.
-[ ] If no, Lawful Stupid + Schmuck Bait = PROBLEM SOLVED.
>> No. 158677
[x] Lawful Stupid + Schmuck Bait = PROBLEM SOLVED.

Let's deal with this pain in an interesting matter. I doubt it's related to Marisa as I don't think Patchy could use these beings.
>> No. 158678
[X] Aya, I’ll owe you an exclusive on anything plus that interview if you get me the fuck out of here!

Bravely run away, away!
>> No. 158679
Just a tip guys, but the creature in front of you is extraordinarily unlikely to be from patchouli. Most likely it's from a celestial library Wizanon visited during his previous travels.

That being said; [x]MARISA HE’S AFTER YOUR BOOK
>> No. 158680
[x] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.

You don't fuck with Inevitables.
>> No. 158681
Hmm.. I'm not very familiar with the inevitables..
. Does the Kolyarut being here mean the library has written Wizanon off permanently, or could MC hand the overdue book back, pay the late fee,and everybody ends up happy for once :P.

Bahh, who am I kidding. That could never happen ;P

[x]MARISA HE’S AFTER YOUR BOOK
>> No. 158682
[x] Diplomacy (You can count it as "My apologies to the library...")

Wizanon may be horribly bad at it, but Inevitables tend to at least try to be civil (because Lawful Lawful), so diplomacy is probably the best choice right now.

Running and cheap tricks never work. All that accomplishes is delaying, well, the inevitable.
>> No. 158683
>>158682
[ ] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.


Well fuck, a Kolyarut? Please just leave with the book.
>> No. 158687
[X] Lawful Stupid + Schmuck Bait = PROBLEM SOLVED.

Awwwwww yeahhhhh
>> No. 158689
>>158673
[X] Lawful Stupid + Schmuck Bait = PROBLEM SOLVED.
>> No. 158690
>>158681
He doesn't care of terms or excuses: he just wants the oath fulfilled.
That said, he is the most talkative and social of all Inevitables: he will not attack if the wizard acts right now and gives back what isn't his.
The only reason he destroyed the door instead of entering and asking politely is because they investigate thoroughly about the target they pursue: he knows the MC's reputation as a gung-ho shoot-first-ask-questions-never kind of guy.

Finally, with a +4 racial bonus to sense motive and Discern Lies at will, I'm 100% sure we can't bullshit our way out of this.

[x] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place. (Honestly)
>> No. 158691
>>158687
Here. Just looked up the capabilities of an Inevitable, so changing my vote to
[x] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.
>> No. 158692
>“Wizard,” speaks the Inevitable. “Your library book... is overdue.”

Inevitables don't get sent out to retrieve library books. They get sent out to ensure no further library books will become overdue. I.e. terminating the source of late library books.

Usually, anyway.


[X] Ask if the book belongs to Patchouli
-[X] If yes, suggest everyone go over to the SDM so you all can sort this out.
-[X] If no, Lawful Stupid + Schmuck Bait = PROBLEM SOLVED.
>> No. 158693
>>158673
[x] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.
>> No. 158695
[X] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.
>> No. 158701
[x] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.

That is, assuming we can actually TALK, and Marisa isn't still choking us.
>> No. 158703
[ ] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.

This writing is wordy. It appeals to me.
>> No. 158706
Well, now that we know Gensokyo borders the actual hells and heavens, what about the other ones? The infinite abyss, Mechanus, Bytopia, etc?

And how is it that they're actually connected to the greater multiverse but haven't built connections with other gods? Koakuma should've been spreading the worship of malcanthet or whatever, and Riku would LOVE to chat with a cleric of Zarus.
>> No. 158713
>>158706

... God *darnit*, Yukari!
>> No. 158714
I had a thought.

We never undid those symbols in the SDM. What if Remilia wants to go to the roof and gets set on fire and tortured?

We should probably fix that.
>> No. 158716
[x] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.


Maybe we should inform mr lawful about local no-killing rule? Any thoughts on that idea?
>> No. 158718
>>158716
that's the wrong sort of lawful unfortunately, "lawful" outsiders serve a specific code, not local laws.
>> No. 158720
>>158716

Lawful Good doesn't mean Lawful Nice. If killing an entire town meant they would save the rest of the country, they would do so in a heartbeat.

At least they check out other means to complete their objective first.
>> No. 158722
>>158720
Sounds like Kiritsugu to me.

By the way, that's not Lawful Good. Ever read Book of Exalted Deeds? The end does not justify the means.
>> No. 158723
[x] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.
>> No. 158726
[x] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.

>>158722
Or MoS Shiroum or Archer.
Heck, Saber pulled that exact stunt multiple times in her life (destroying a village to get the supplies to raise the army to stop an invasion) and she's as close as you can possibly get to Lawful Good in Nasuverse.

-insert Nasu alignment argument here-
>> No. 158727
>>158726
Gilgamesh is Chaotic Good. Discuss.
>> No. 158729
[ ] MARISA HE’S AFTER YOUR BOOK
[ ] "He is the robot warrior of an evil librarian who steals books from innocent maidens to enslave them via his magic!", Marisa looks at you disbelieving. "I am not lying!"
>> No. 158735
>>158722
The Book of Exalted Deeds is pretty garbage, though. In most respects. The point is a good one that I largely agree with, but don't use the BoED to back it up.

Anyway, I vote we cooperate with the authority. Inevitables are, well, inevitable. Running away is useless, fighting is useless, because even if we kill this one right now it'll just add another charge and they'll send more next time and'll be less forgiving. The only hope we have is of diplomacy, which is a very bad spot for a wizanon to be indeed.

Anyway, if I recall correctly, The Celestial Nirvana of Mechanus has quite a number of excellent libraries, especially regarding matters of interplanar law. One even has a division of Inevitables guarding it; I really hope wizanon didn't borrow a book from there. I just wonder how this Inevitable managed to cross the border to get to Gensokyo. The book in question almost certainly didn't come from Gensokyo, as Inevitables aren't hugely interested in matters of local law. Anyway,

[x] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.

The three given options in the opening post are, in descending order:
[ ] Dick
[ ] Owe a nonspecified indefinite favor to a thousand-year old chatty tengu
[ ] Colossal dick
>> No. 158737
>>158735
that's the general course for the wizard.
>> No. 158742
[X] Diplomacy
[X] Inquire into how the hell he got here before he leaves
>> No. 158743
>>158735
Finally, I can vote without being uninformed!

[x] Lawful Stupid + Schmuck Bait = PROBLEM SOLVED.
>> No. 158747
Hoo boy, I caught up with the story.

[x] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.
>> No. 158748
File 134005176486.jpg - (86.13KB , 600x600 , mongrels.jpg ) [iqdb]
158748
>>158727
>> No. 158753
I am pretty sure you won't be able to misdirect your way out a loaned book against a construct made of pure order.

Pretty sure you should just give the book back.

Or just destroy the inevietable.
>> No. 158755
>>158727
>>158748
Rather, don't discuss. For anyone who missed it,
(>>158326) the mods are tired of discussion going off-topic here.
>> No. 158756
[X] Diplomacy (My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place, or give it to you if you prefer)
-[X] Discreetly inquire if there's a fine.
--[X] Inquire into how the hell he got here before he leaves
>> No. 158764
>>158756
Hah. Yes, we need to ask if there'll be an overdue charge. "Yes, that'll be five silverpieces a day, and accounting for both time differences and adding in the cost of dispensing an Inevitable to collect, that'll cost approximately 2 million gold pieces, to be payable in souls, magic items, gems, wishes, gold, or any combination thereof."
>> No. 158767
>>158764
>gems
Eh, Patchy's got that covered. Trouble will be convincing her.
>> No. 158771
File 134008497949.png - (71.78KB , 962x526 , how_will_planefag_ever_explain_this.png ) [iqdb]
158771
So MC borrowed a book from the celestial plane and forgot to bring it back?

Also, this is in no way a bribe for you to direct more attention to /tg/.
>> No. 158772
File 134009308081.jpg - (2.88KB , 106x126 , planefag checks tg.jpg ) [iqdb]
158772
>>158771
>filename

Considering it'll arrive about the same day as the tuckable C-clips for my De Santis holster and the two Colt factory 7-round magazines for my 1911... I really, really don't know. Lets see if the delivery driver's got the balls to actually come up to the door.
>> No. 158783
>>158772
Glorious. Be sure to do an unboxing.
>> No. 158787
>>158771
Huh. I would have thought they would send him a Sanya.

>>158772
When are you doing the next thread anyway?
>> No. 158788
>>158787
We didn't want to scrounge up 300+ Dollars

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strike-Witches-Sanya-V-Litvyak-1-8-PVC-Figure-/260931298854?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc0b7a626#ht_5319wt_932

I think our off-topic allowance is spent now. Until Demetrious posts some pictures, anyway.
>> No. 158789
>>158788
>>158783
Too lewd
>> No. 158811
[x] Diplomacy
This will most likely not go as planned since Marisa is choking us, but at least we can gesture to get our point across. That point being "don't stab me, and I'll get your book." Also reposting this we should look into the area around where Loffo's body was as his spirit may be the one sending the ghosts after us.
>> No. 158817
>>158771
So this is what they mean by "giving money and gifts to writefags".

It's a reference to an old /blue/ thread.
>> No. 158820
>>158811
His spirit is not the one sending ghosts after us. It's Patchouli. You would know this if you had read the first post of the last thread.

[x] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.
>> No. 158848
>>158820
Don't jump to conclusions.
>> No. 158866
>>158848
"At last, at the brink of hope, your foe slips, and your vision swims as the clairvoyance turns on the caster. As Detect Scrying’s energies expire, a final image shines clear in the air before you.

The tea-chugging asthmatic adversely aromatic pervert punk Patchouli. "

There was also the part where Patchouli got nervous when Wizardnon mentioned necromancy.
>> No. 158869
>>158866

All we have confirmed is that Patchouli Scryed upon us THAT particular time, and that she knows of necromancy. That's nowhere near enough data points to lay the ghost blame with any sort of certainty.
>> No. 158870
>>158869
It seems more likely to me than Loffo's specter kidnapping ghosts, and sending them to attack us. Just sayin'.
>> No. 158873
>>158870
I'm don't disagree that Patchy is a very likely suspect, but operating under the assumption that she is behind everything with the scrying and the ghosts just seems a damn good way to get thrown on another Wild Goast Chase(tm), and that would really suck.
>> No. 158874
Patchy being the villain would be dumb. We already killed her once by just blowing dust in her face, so I can't really be intimidated by her at all.
I bet it's Remilia or something. Although she'd have no reason to call Wizard and amateur, and Patchy would, so...
>> No. 158875
This Patchy isn't Kahi's Patchy by the way.
>> No. 158876
>>158874
First, the dust killing her was a joke post, so using that as a basis for your argument is foolish.

Second, are you trying to say that Patchouli couldn't have done it with the support of Remilia?

Patchouli has the means and opportunity, while dead things usually don't, making patchy a far more likely option for having sent the ghosts. That being said, there are a few others who could have done it, and they too should be investigated.
>> No. 158877
>>158876
Calm down.

>are you trying to say that Patchouli couldn't have done it with the support of Remilia?
No, not even remotely.
>> No. 158879
>>158873
This. Let's just mellow out and not derail the story with a possibly moronic assumption.
>> No. 158887
[x] My apologies to the library, but as I have been stuck in this demiplane without any exit I could not return the book. If you would give me the name of the book I will return it when I can leave this place.
-[x] Quickly review (internally) just what the book was, when it was taken and when it was due, and whether it can be found in your trunk.
-[x]... God *darnit*, Yukari! (otherwise known as "Yukari and/or Reimu pay a visit because of another Barrier breach")
--[x] flash to Keine having a premonition, then flash back to Wizard.
>> No. 158894
File 134039460051.jpg - (39.24KB , 633x338 , terminator.jpg ) [iqdb]
158894
[X] Lawful Stupid + Schmuck Bait = PROBLEM SOLVED.
-[X]DIPLOMACY!



The Inevitables.

Mechanical killing machines from the Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus, they exist only to enforce the Law as their masters see it, hunting down violators in every corner of the Planes to mete out harsh justice. They are ruthless, relentless, and dumber than a sack of bricks.

“Must be one hell of a late fee,” Marisa marvels, letting her broomhandle off your throat.

“The price,” it replies, “is death.”

You jam your hand in your pocket desperately and wheeze a few quick words.

“... uh,” Marisa says uncertainly, eyeing the construct. “Do you hunt all book thieves, or-”

“He couldn’t care less,” you interrupt, staring into the inevitable’s glowing mechanical eyes. “They go after bigger fish. He’s a kolyarut, hunter of oath-breakers. Except I’ve broken no oaths, have I?”

The kolyarut nods.

“And I didn’t actually take any books from the libraries of Mechanus.”

The kolyarut’s steel cranium performs another ponderous nod.

“They’re just pissed off that I trespassed and royally pissed off that I escaped, so he’s here to slay the hell out of me.”

“Indeed,” the inevitable says in the coldest tone possible, and takes a stride towards you, its heavy, sharp blade held at the low ready while one hard steel hand moves for your throat-

“Permission slip,” you say with crisp satisfaction.

The metallic enforcer freezes mid-stride, one steel boot hovering in mid-air.

From your trouser pocket you flourish a folded slip of paper ‘twixt two fingers.

“Waiver.”

Strange little creaking sounds drift from the Kolyarut’s headcase as its glowing golden eyes bore into yours.

“Lies.”

“Are you sure?”

The kolyarut’s divination magic can’t penetrate your Mind Blank spell, but even a construct can smell bullshit, and this one’s been programmed with sniffing algorithms. “A chaos-strewing disaster like you would never be granted access-”

“Waiver, not access,” you say primly. “When an Enlightened Disciple doubted my scholastic aptitude was sufficient to make use of their libraries, I engaged her in an exchange of rhymed challenges, which I won. She conceded, as laws of courtesy required, but the limits of the rhyme format kept her waiver... unspecific,” you relate, turning the folded slip of paper about in your fingers. “So I took my pick of libraries, but the guards were... hasty.”

You can almost hear the scream of tortured metal as the kolyarut literally strips its mental gears in frustration. It dispenses absolute justice – so its justice must be absolutely certain. There’s a turning gear on Mechanus for every law in the cosmos, including the devilishly subtle, unwritten rules of courtly decorum. And no law on Mechanus goes ignored. It can smell your deceit, but...

The kolyarut must be certain. You reach out and daintily drop the folded missive into its waiting palm. The inevitable flips it open with his thumb, examining it suspiciously.

“My wisdom a scholar impugns,” its hard voice booms. “By slinging some bawdy lampoons. But laugh as she might, I win by foresight, I studied my Explosive Ru-”

Poetic justice blasts the inevitable clear off its feet, flinging the tin man coccyx-over-cranium into the clothing racks near the doorway. It rears to its feet, tangled in hats and glittery sashes, its black metal, silver clockwork and golden armor already haloed in the dark afterimages of necromantic energy. The Inevitable thrusts forth its hand, takes aim, and makes a really satisfying crunch as it goes through the ceiling beams.

Youmu blinks.

Marisa blinks.

“What?” Aya asks, staring at the hole where the ceiling meets the front wall.

A terrible cacophony of clattering metal and splintering wood drifts in the door.

“Excuse me, ladies,” you say, strolling outside, hands in pockets. You examine the street, find nothing unusual, and cut through an alley to the next one over, where you discover the crash scene.

Youmu arrives at your shoulder, breathing quickly. “Where!?”

You point at a large estate house, where the Inevitable is embedded halfway through a wall. “Looks like he clipped the awning rafters on the way in, too.”

The Inevitable tears its way out of the wall, scans the area a bit unsteadily, and finds the edge of Duke’s broadsword. The earsplitting CLANG literally rings the kolyarut’s bell, its steel cranium singing with reverberations as it goes reeling. Duke presses the attack, blade flashing as he moves in, and narrowly dodges an Enervation Ray.

Gesturing at its golden one-piece boots and greaves, you give the tin man some lubrication.

Its sword lost, the kolyarut flattens its hands into blades, charged with necromantic magic. It lunges for Duke with the dreaded double-knife-hand technique – and suddenly jerks its torso back, arms flailing comically for balance. Feet slipping every which way, it finally manages to stabilize itself – until Duke smashes it in the face with his blade.

The Inevitable hits the street with another resounding CLANG, and this time, it stays down.

You produce your wand of Lightning Bolts from inside your shirt as you stride over to where Duke’s hovering over the Inevitable, blade at the ready. Youmu draws her weapons with smooth ease, and together you hover over the fallen machine.

“You dun goof’d,” you say.

The inevitable’s golden eyes surge with radiance as it recalculates the situation.

“I raided Mechanus four, five years ago?”

“Four years, eight months, twelve days, three hours and fourteen seconds,” the kolyarut replies immediately.

“And you know that because you were assigned to hunt me down-”

“Four years, eight months, twelve days three hours and eight seconds ago,” the kolyarut recites.

“Gee, guess your threat assessment’s a little dated, isn’t it? Lurk more, asshole.”

The Inevitable glares at you with patient and dark promise.

“Leave,” you hiss. “Leave town, Gensokyo, this Material Plane. Now.”

You step back, motioning your companions away. The inevitable rises with much creaking and clanking of damaged actuators and gears.

“One more thing,” you growl. “If I ever see you again, I’ll slag you and melt down your chassis into limited edition commemorative coins.”

The inevitable maintains its emotionless golden stare.

“Now get the fuck out of here.”

The kolyarut nods, once, but lets its eyes linger on you, as if committing you to memory. It turns and strides away with ponderous, weighty footfalls, the street emptying before its approach. You three watch it retreat down the road until it’s lost to sight.

Youmu exhales a pent-up breath. “How did you knock it out of the shop like that?”

You grin. “Telekinesis. Good for what ails ya.”

“And you’re sure it’s gone?” Youmu asks, tightening her hands on her swordhilts.

“I am not,” Duke says, resting his mighty sword’s tip on the boardwalk. “They are not called inevitables without good reason.”

“He’s right,” you agree. “They’re just lights and clockwork. They’ll follow their programming – their orders – to the letter, to their ultimate destruction, if necessary.”

“Then why didn’t you destroy it?” Youmu asks, puzzled.

Duke regards you with his perpetual frown at half-strength and head tilted about three degrees left, which qualifies as his “inquisitive” look.

“I...” you rub your head, honestly confused. “I would have, but I made my point. He bided his time and ambushed me-”

“Thinking you separated from your allies,” Duke interjects with a hint of satisfaction.

“-and I still rolled him in two seconds flat, so he knows he can’t win. He’ll report to Mechanus for instructions and reinforcements, but between the travel time and the Hakeuri Barrier, they won’t be back for quite a while.”

Duke leans back a little, hands resting on his sword pommel, but he says nothing, just regards you curiously.

“What?”

Duke gazes back at you, expressionless.

“Hey, Youmu. Word of advice? Never play cards with a Celestial.”

“Learned that one already,” Youmu mutters dourly. “So what now?”

“We’ve property damage to compensate,” Duke says, producing a coin purse from his equipment belt. “I was granted funding for such matters.”

You eye the huge coin purse. Duke hands it to you for appraisal, and you nearly drop it. “What the...?”

“Platinum.”

You heft the bag and quirk your mouth. “I’ll take that as a compliment.”

You hand the bag back, thinking about your next move. You’ve been dying to ask Marisa about her strange equations – if you could buy some of that magical reagent off her, you might use it to supercharge your own magic, if she’ll explain how. A self-taught magician is more knowledge-hungry than most; if you offer a spell trade she’ll likely jump at it.

Aya, on the other hand, seems to be everywhere and know everything. Talking to Youmu, it’s clear you lack the background to make sense of what clues you have – perhaps you can talk the Tengu into letting you skim the back issues of the Bunbunmaru, or even her little notebook.


[ ] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
[ ] Give Aya that interview, advance your detective work.
[ ] Write-in?
>> No. 158896
[x] Give Aya that interview, advance your detective work.

Time to move the plot on. And kill more things. And spread more chaos. And demoralize more undemoralizable things.
>> No. 158897
>>158894
[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.

What kind of PC would we be if we didn't want to cause the most damage and destruction possible?
>> No. 158898
>>158894

[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.

Are bigger booms ever the wrong choice?
>> No. 158899
File 134039557993.jpg - (32.79KB , 346x347 , laughing touhous.jpg ) [iqdb]
158899
>negotiate with fantasy Terminator

So yeah. But between the "be diplomatic" intent and the +1 Wis you managed to handle the problem without pissing off anybody you already haven't, good job! The Marisa option wouldn't even be open had you not, uh, somewhat smoothed things over with her many a thread ago.

And yes. You blew through the kolyarut's SR without even trying. I say exactly what I mean, regarding that.
>> No. 158900
>>158899
I trust you're better rested today?
>> No. 158901
[X]Ballin shrooms for bigger booms

My body is ready and the spell slots are hungry
>> No. 158902
>>158899
Heya buddy. Don't you have places you should have been for the past two days?
>> No. 158903
[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.

Let's see how Wizanon+Master Spark work out. Hehehehe
>> No. 158905
[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.

This. Making Marisa not hate our guts anymore and acquiring POWER is a sound choice, I dare say.
>> No. 158906
[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.

I have to admit this is hard one, as knowledge is power and all that jazz, but MOAR ALLIES is always a good thing, and Bigger Boomz are very relevant after the gazebo incident. Also, Aya will get impatient and force us to sit down and get it done soon enough, I wager :P
>> No. 158907
>>158894
What kind of wizard doesn't want a chance at more boom?

[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
>> No. 158908
[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.

As another anon said, knowledge is power. However, power is also power.
>> No. 158909
[x] Give Aya that interview, advance your detective work.
-[x] Schedule a time with Aya.

>>158906
You really shouldn't assume as it might not come along for a while if at all. But I hope my addition addresses that.
>> No. 158910
File 134040131458.gif - (1.00MB , 300x318 , NOPEALIUM.gif ) [iqdb]
158910
>>158900
>>158902

Incidentally. Next SWQ this coming Monday, then another one the Friday after. Perhaps one on that Saturday, too.

IRC on... Sat or Sun I guess. Before 5Pm because gogowork.
>> No. 158911
>>158910
Brilliant.

I'll run SuWQ anyway because I'm a mad man and want to see if SWQ will simply channel viewers away or if I'll get some overflow.
>> No. 158912
>>158911
huge faggot
>> No. 158916
[x] Give Aya that interview, advance your detective work.

She's a good source of information, might be good to cultivate her as an ally.
>> No. 158918
[x] Give Aya that interview, advance your detective work.

Pissing against the tide, but we're good enough at causing evocative destruction already. A source for more knowledge about Gensokyo is a better choice.
>> No. 158919
[X] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
[X] Give Aya that interview, advance your detective work.

Why not both?
>> No. 158920
[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.

This is priority, but if we can get that interview in somewhere, that's fine too.
>> No. 158921
[ ] Give Aya that interview, advance your detective work.

We still don't have enough information.
>> No. 158923
[x] both at the same time
Aya gets to observe two magicians discussing wanton destruction, Marisa gets OOH SHINY.
>> No. 158924
[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.

More explosives a happy wizard makes.
>> No. 158925
[x] Give Aya that interview, advance your detective work.

>>158923
I hate votes like this.
>> No. 158926
[X] Give Aya that interview, advance your detective work.
>> No. 158927
Oh explosive runes, what CAN'T you solve?
>> No. 158928
[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
-[x] Schedule a meeting with Aya after.

Explosions are never wrong. That said, we should get that interview done soonish.
>> No. 158929
>>158927

Peak oil.
>> No. 158930
>>158899
Good thing we got that +1 WIS no?

[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
>> No. 158931
>>158928
This sounds like a reasonable compromise, I second.
>> No. 158934
>>158929
>a few words on paper produces a conservation-of-energy-breaking explosion when observed
>cannot solve peak oil
nonsense.
>> No. 158938
[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
-[x] Ask her how you can create these Spell Cards, it would be useful to have a few flashy non lethal attacks that you could store outside of your mind.
>> No. 158943
>>158934
I'm pretty sure magic comes from the weave. Or used to, anyway. So, the conservation of energy still counts. The transport from one plane to the other and the change of shape required to perform spells is consumed from the users' stamina: hence the spell limit per day, that expands as the mage learns how to optimize energy consumption and has more stamina overall, like making exercise. All fits!

What? Why are mages so weak if they exercise themselves so much? Which 'muscle' do they use to do so? Errr...
>> No. 158951
>>158943
>the weave
>implying Forgotten Realms

I'm pretty sure Deme has explicitly stated Wizard isn't from Toril.
>> No. 158952
People...
Assuming this story keeps going the way it is, any spells Marisa teaches us are already going to be well known by our future opponent, and we'd be much better of using what we know and they don't.
And what would she teach us anyway? We already know explosions.

[X] Give Aya that interview, advance your detective work.
>> No. 158953
>>158952
More explosions, obviously.
>> No. 158956
>>158951
Actually the forgotten realms setting explicitly does not use the great wheel cosmology, meaning that Wizanon cannot be from that setting so even without having flat out said that's not where he came from....

Also, seeing as Wizanon is still using the old spell names (like Tensers) an argument could be made that he's from the Greyhawk setting.
>> No. 158957
>>158952
>any spells Marisa teaches us are already going to be well known by our future opponent

The hell are you getting this from?
>> No. 158958
[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
-[x] Schedule a meeting with Aya after.

I see no reason we cannot do both. There is the possibility of Aya's schedule being completely full, but oh well.
>> No. 158959
>>158957
Because I think we can assume said opponent will end up being a Touhou.
>> No. 158960
>>158959
>Because I think we can assume said opponent will end up being a Touhou.

I would like to ask you where in the nine hells are you getting this from as well.

Personally, I hope the Big Bad's really someone from the D&D multiverse, or even better, an established villain from D&D. Don't have any logical reason for it, I just think it would be a very welcome change from having it be Yukari messing around again, because honestly that shit gets OLD after a while.

Hell, we could have the old hag get personally beat up by the villain to show how incredibly dire the situation is.

Just sayin'

[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
>> No. 158961
I'll have to second
[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
-[x] Schedule a meeting with Aya after.

That is, if we can manage to keep a schedule.
>> No. 158962
>>158959
Did you just say that with a straight face?

It's highly unlikely that the big bad is any sort of Touhou.
>> No. 158964
>>158960
>that shit gets OLD after a while
>we could have the old hag get personally beat up by the villain to show how incredibly dire the situation is
Sigh.
>> No. 158965
>>158962
Why?
>> No. 158966
>>158965
Because if they were a Gensokyo native, the gazebo would have also been shooting ridiculous amounts of bullets at us.
>> No. 158967
>>158966
And it would be a little girl.
>> No. 158968
>>158964
>we could have the old hag get personally beat up by the villain to show how incredibly dire the situation is

SSiB~
>> No. 158969
>>158968
I would love you if you do that, Deme.
>> No. 158970
>>158968
the worf effect is rarely the answer to things, not when Yukari's so infamously lazy.
>> No. 158985
>>158968
Rule #1 of TNG - Worf always gets beat up.
>> No. 158987
>>158960
Its things like this that make me wonder why this is here and not on /tg/
>> No. 159003
I'll point out that there's magic-enhancing drugs in DnD (like the "Dragon's Blood" statted up in Sharn: City of Towers), and they've got major side effects (like damage to your casting stat after the benefits wear off), on top of being easily as addictive as crack cocaine or crystal meth. If wizanon is smart, he'll know to stay well away from that shit.

[X] Give Aya that interview, advance your detective work.
>> No. 159013
http://www.mediafire.com/?yevmoqkiqqttqd8
full story compiled into a single .doc, formatted consistently, with most minor spelling and grammatical errors (such as typos) corrected, for your reading pleasure. keep up the awesome, Demetrious!
>> No. 159014
>>159013
Begun, the archive wars have.
>> No. 159015
>>159013
Someone already did that last thread, bro.
>> No. 159021
Demetrious, you decided to have Gensokyo use the "regular" D&D planar system, so that its bordering Baator and Celestia and whatnot.

But then where do the canonical Touhou characters of those places fit in? Tenshi doesn't much look like your average Archon, and while the Netherworld sounds a lot like the negative material plane, it's generally impossible for people to survive in there for more than a few moments.

I think it'd make more sense to stick with the "multiple coterminous planes" theory.
>> No. 159022
[X] Give Aya that interview, advance your detective work.
>> No. 159023
First priority: [x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
And if Wizardnon has the time afterwards: [x] Give Aya that interview, advance your detective work.
>> No. 159025
>>159021
He hasn't necessarily decided that's the case. However, he did decide that Wizanon believes this to be the case, being unwilling to accept evidence significantly beyond his worldview as he is. He believes that Gensokyo lies within the Great Wheel cosmology, which it might well not, given that, even if it is an area cordoned off from another Material Prime, it might not adhere to the same set of planar rules that he's familiar with.
>> No. 159034
building a sanctuary plane and leaving it connected to the Great Wheel WOULD be a retarded move...
>> No. 159046
[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
-[x] Schedule a meeting with Aya after.

Seems like the best choice right now. More dakka = more fun.
>> No. 159149
>>159034
>Make a sealed paradise to protect Youkai's existence.
>Leave it open it to any level 10 Cleric.
>> No. 159158
>>159149
I don't think this is any mere cleric; the wizard only wound up there due to a mix of various spells going off.
>> No. 159165
[x] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
-[x] Schedule a meeting with Aya after.

Firstly making a half/half ally with this frisky little star spark is a good idea, at least you both understand each others...less honourable tendencies.

Second...Aya can make bad press...WE DONT WANT THAT...lest a certain shrine maiden and gap youkai suddenly take more then just passing interest.
>> No. 159166
Second...Aya can make bad press...WE DONT WANT THAT...lest a certain shrine maiden and gap youkai suddenly take more then just passing interest

??? I am not sure, but is not Ayas newspaper considered a bunch of rumors and half-truths if not outright lies by every resident of Gensokyo?
>> No. 159168
>>159165
>>159166

I'm sorry, could you two rewrite that in coherent english instead of something that looks like it was written by a drooling monkey banging a keyboard?
>> No. 159174
Sorry English is my second language so I may make rather big failures without noticing it (especially when I just write without thinking too much)

So to make it (hopefully) more understandable...

Do the people seriously believe the things that are written in the Bunbunmaru newspaper?
>> No. 159176
>>159174

At the very least, being in the Bunbunmaru will make Reimu aware of us. Considering some of the stuff we've ended up pulling, let alone our original DYNAMIC ENTRY into Gensokyou, I myself am rather surprised we haven't seen her checking around yet.
>> No. 159177
>>159176
I think it was mentioned a few threads back that Reimu has been in town asking about us, she just isn't in full incident mode yet.
>> No. 159178
Is it that hard to sage non-vote posts, people?
>> No. 159180
>>159166
Aya aims for the truth but lets her opinion seep in a bit too much. It's not something to take tat complete face value but not complete BS either.
>> No. 159193
Well, our Wizard was lvl 17, and the dragon was probably a wyrm considering it took an army to bring him down. Two near-epic casters fucking up complex spells could probably do damn near anything.
>> No. 159230
>>159177
I thought we almost collided with Reimu on Wizardnon's drunken ride through town like ten threads ago?
>> No. 159235
>>159230
More like twenty. From second thread:

>The chest leans into the turn as you corner at high speed, and you hear a scream as somebody in a red-and-white dress dives out of the way. Here and there heads pop out of windows to observe your passage, but all they could possibly get is a glimpse.
>> No. 159237
>>159235
...I never really grasped how quickly this CYOA went through threads until now...
>> No. 159371
[x] Pacify Marisa; acquire ballin' 'shrooms for bigger booms.
-[x] Schedule a meeting with Aya after.

>>158951
Funny. I was pretty sure he was from Toril.

On rereading, though, I can find no indication either way.

>>158956
>the forgotten realms setting explicitly does not use the great wheel cosmology
Eh. Officially, yeah, as of the 3.0 setting book. Since much of the 2e fluff was tied to the Wheel, though, and there wasn't any narrative justification for the change, a lot of people ignored that -- even 3.0-era latecomers. Demetrious might have agreed with that.

(On the gripping hand, if he's kept Wizanon's home both ambiguous and irrelevant for this long, it's probably because he wants it not to matter.)
>> No. 159473
Pacify Marisa! Shrooms optional.

If we leave her pissed at us, it is GUARANTEED to bit us in the ass later, and our shiny new wisdom stat might get us a new wizbro.
>> No. 159516
>>159473
seconded
[X] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
>> No. 159552
[x] Pacify Marisa, acquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
>> No. 159555
>>159552
It's a pointless vote as it's going to win and hopefully won't toss away a chance to get information.

I can imagine failing to save Youmu due to one thing: people going for the "booms" and other distractions
>> No. 159570
>>159555
OOOORRRRR, having bigger booms will let us beat whatever/whoever we were fighting before it can kill her!
>> No. 159571
>>159570
OOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRR saging your post like anyone else would do.
>> No. 159574
I think I've asked this before, but could Limited Wish be used to bring back a freshly dead Youmu? I think the question was a little misleading when I first posted it, simply due to the context of the surrounding posts misconstruing the meaning.
>> No. 159575
>>159574
The answer was 'yes'
>> No. 159600
File 134214248711.jpg - (384.61KB , 1000x1412 , 36b11716c86bec736a50cdf935786252.jpg ) [iqdb]
159600
>>159575
Of course, the Yama might not take too kindly to it.
>> No. 159606
File 134214999543.jpg - (98.53KB , 583x480 , 1256071008259.jpg ) [iqdb]
159606
>>159600

Yeaaah you're thinking along the right track there.

Sincere apologies for not updating; getting back from Georgia is taking longer then anticipated. And I haven't had a spare moment to do much else then drive and sleep on this trip. Woo.
>> No. 159619
File 134218806925.png - (103.78KB , 235x350 , you're pretty gutsy.png ) [iqdb]
159619
>>159606
Rule #1 of Touhou: Don't fuck with the Yama.
>> No. 159624
>>159606
cute witches when
>> No. 159626
Meh, the Yama aren't really all that. Wizanon just needs to summon the Tarrasque.

D&D always wins powerlevel games.
>> No. 159627
>>159626
Don't bump if you aren't voting. Especially with posts like that.
>> No. 159639
File 134226769816.jpg - (255.32KB , 700x989 , 946f15561576635585ff1830d455ce0d.jpg ) [iqdb]
159639
>>159626
>trying to top
>The Highest Judge of Paradise
>SHIKIEIKI YAMAXANADU

Welcome to the Touhou fandom, please leave your attempt at a powerlevel argument at the door.
>> No. 159651
File 134232609993.png - (858.07KB , 1840x1650 , fuckeverything.png ) [iqdb]
159651
>>159639
Pfft. She ain't nothin.
>> No. 159653
>>159651
Could you try to restrain your /tg/faggotry? You're giving the board a bad name.
>> No. 159657
>>159626
Note: In, "A Beautiful Flower Blooming Violent Every Sixty Years" Yukari thinks she'd be "no match" for Shiki, even with Yuyuko and Reimu's help. We ain't doing shit.
>> No. 159663
Well she is a statue.
>> No. 159664
>>159663
You fucking dumbass.
>> No. 159669
File 134242313114.gif - (1.40MB , 300x170 , 1331791341892.gif ) [iqdb]
159669
>>159663

... whut
>> No. 159670
>>159669
Actually, he's right. Before she was a Yama, she was the spirit of a statue in a Buddhist temple.
>> No. 159673
>>159670
>before she was a Yama
>she was the
>spirit of a statue

Confirming why that person is actually wrong. Thank you.
>> No. 159676
File 134245570939.jpg - (219.15KB , 869x954 , 140bbd952fee083eaa2ab62d73edda8cfa7e017c.jpg ) [iqdb]
159676
>>159651
Mitori forbids the golem from damaging anything. Unable to hold itself together (as its gravity is damaging) and unable to explode catastrophically, it disintegrates into a cosmic mist.
>> No. 159677
The problem is that, largely speaking, Touhou and Dungeons and Dragons operate two distinct power-curves, the former based more on mythological roles and structures and the latter based on numbers and probability. They are, therefore, basically incompatible, and power-discussions will satisfy neither side because the argument isn't a useful one to begin with, as they're not on the same footing and use different methods to determine relative power.

Shikieiki's role as judge of the dead means just that: she judges all that die within Gensokyo, and no-one can overturn her judgement. That's just how it works. However, in D&D, it's regular and almost expected that high-level adventurers will descend to hell and slay demon-lords and possibly even gods, because, as I said, it's based on numbers rather than mythology. Well, barring 2E Planescape, which is my favorite setting by far. In Planescape, the players could not challenge the Powers. They were statless, and it was assumed that in any direct confrontation you would lose. If we must think of Touhou in D&D terms, it'd be best to do it as in Planescape, consider Shikieiki a Power, and call it a day.
>> No. 159689
>>159677
Well said.
So, concluding it - while, she, as a person has stats, and potentially defeatable - in danmaku, for example - her role as a Judge makes sure what nothing short of Dragon God of Touhou going to do anything to her.
>> No. 159875
Well, short of Greater Artifact level hax - we don't know what the eff the Ying Yang Orbs and the mini-hakkero are, but whatever they are they let Reimu and Marisa beat Shinki without the danmaku rules.

Mind, if you have a Greater Artifact bound to you you're *also* in that "Challenge and lose," "plot device" Powers-That-Be tier, so fair's fair.
>> No. 159876
>>159689
>>159875
Stop doing that.

If you're posting without a vote, put sage in the e-mail field. Without exception.
If you don't, you bump the thread, and everyone who jumps at it thinking the story got updated instead finds you talking about inane bullshit and gets disappointed and/or pissed the fuck off.
>> No. 159877
>>159875
Danmaku was used in the PC-98 era, the spell card rules just formalized and allowed for naming patterns.
>> No. 159881
>>159876
tone down your autism, thanks
>> No. 159884
>>159881
I'm autistic, and I find being compared to him offensive.
>> No. 160024
Did Deme update yet?
>> No. 160025
>>160024
Do you see an update anywhere?
>> No. 160037
File 134365842074.jpg - (158.63KB , 793x1023 , Cirno St.jpg ) [iqdb]
160037
I know I might be late but in an effort to get things back on track here is my vote.

[X] Play around with Cirno and show her a few little magical tricks before having to move on to other things.

baring that

[X] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.

Because I am sad that somewhere along the line we forgot our little frost elemental princess would make a damn good little version of Mc.
>> No. 160039
Who the fuck is Mc?
>> No. 160043
>>160039
Pretty sure they mean Main Character.
>> No. 160076
[X] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.
Level 17 Wizard + Marisa's magic + ? = MASTER SPARK!!!!!
>> No. 160083
>>160076
I am sorry, surely you mean "Final Spark".

Also, screw you all. Now I am trying very hard not to smile in sadistic glee at the mental image of Wizanon and Marisa Sparking a third party into lower orbit in unison.
>> No. 160123
>>160083
You think that's a fun image? How about a "Pentacle Spark" ala the Trinity Spark from Touhou Soccer with Wizanon, Marisa, Mima, and two Yuukas?
>> No. 160127
>>160083
Final Spark? Okay, he's going to be more powerful but not THAT much more powerful. Hence why I put "Master Spark" (he's probably going to be doing it without a hakkero, so Final Spark would be much harder to do anyways.
>> No. 160128
>arguing
>no )
>no sage
Fuck you, fuck your parents, fuck your siblings, fuck your pets, fuck your teachers, fuck your friends, and fuck everyone you know.
>> No. 160132
>>160131
They're giant laser beams in a series that doesn't really do giant laser beams, opting more for the fuck-ton of them approach. Where other spells are supposed to trap you and stuff, Master Sparks are just supposed to shoot you in the face.
>> No. 160133
>>160132
It's big, so it help the fandom to compensate for its lack of dick.
>> No. 160136
>>160135
Nobody cares about how easy a card it is in-game. People care about it because it's cool.
>> No. 160145
>>160132
in EoSD it was a pretty OP in many ways and it's still pretty good in later games.
>> No. 160188
File 134398354530.jpg - (929.46KB , 1023x1500 , b8c622f9369dc2a7d2819accd5d0cfa3.jpg ) [iqdb]
160188
[X] Pacify Marisa, aqquire ballin’ shrooms for bigger booms.


You stroll back through the alley towards Kirisame’s shop, companions in tow. From the sounds, Cirno’s losing a debate on liability law. You step in the door to find the ice fairy bracketed by enraged Kirisames shouting and dancing in rage.

Papa Kirisame spots you first. “YOU!” he roars, his shopkeeper’s geniality conspicuously absent. He and his daughter advance on you, eyes burning with wrath. “Yooooouuu,” he hisses with empathetic hate.

Thinking quickly, you snatch the heavy purse out of Duke’s hand and thrust it forth like a defensive talisman. “MONEY!”

Father and daughter freeze.

Lots” of money.” You wave the bag back and forth, and Maria’s eyes track it as intently as a hunting cat.

“... lots?” She inquires.

So much money.”

“Well-”

“I’ll pay for damages!”

“Right!” Marisa says, slapping her fist into her palm.

“And labor hours for cleanup costs!” her father chimes in.

“And cleanup costs! And about your book-”

“Thirty-thousand Yen, and not a dime less!” Marisa declares immediately.

“No, I-“

“Twenty-eight thousand Yen and not a dime less!” she amends immediately.

“You don’t understa-”

She huffs dramatically and crosses her arms. “Twenty-five thousand Yen. That’s the best I can do.”

Keep the damn book!” you exclaim, yanking your robe out of your pocket and hastily shaking it out. “HERE!” Ripping it from the robe’s magic pocket, you huck it at Marisa, who catches it nimbly in one hand.

“Oh,” she says, crestfallen.

“I wanted to talk to you about it.”

“Whatever,” she says, her old hostility returning, and you realize you’re losing her.

“Uh, I mean I want lessons.

The witch’s face lights up immediately. “Oooh. Really. What’s it worth to ya?”

You set the hook. “We can negotiate that after.”

The look of barely-concealed smugness on Marisa’s face seems to give her father pause. He raises a finger in objection and quavers between you and Marisa, unsure whether to warn or scold.

“Oh no you don’t!” a new voice exclaims from the shelves. Aya emerges, notebook in hand and eyes afire, striding towards Marisa. “He promised me an interview! You won’t be hauling him off to play magician before I get my due!”

“Buzz off, birdie, or I’ll have some bar-be-cue bitch for dinner,” Marisa growls.

“For the tenth time I wasn’t trying to photograph you!”

“Like I’d believe a crow tengu!”

“That’s rich, coming from the biggest liar in Gensokyo!”

“Ladies-” Papa ‘same assays but Marisa just rides over him.

“You put your lies into mass production!” Marisa roars, “and you’re mouthing off to me about honesty? Let’s go!”
“Where ya wanna go, sweetheart? Loserville, population you?”

Duke is edging out the door when he almost backs into another customer entering. The new arrival adroitly tangles her foot between his and nudges him sideways into the clothing displays near the door for a soft landing.

“AYA!” the newcomer shouts angrily. She’s carrying a hefty shopping basket in one hand with casual ease, the other planted on her hip. “We don’t have time for this!”

“MAKE time!”

“The festival is coming up fast-”

“I’m not leaving without HIM!” Aya snaps, whipping away from Marisa with blinding speed to thrust her finger at you.

You and the newcomer size each other up. She’s got canine ears on her head and a hat identical to Aya’s between them. Her style of dress is also similar, but obviously designed to allow for freedom of movement – and of course, there’s the businesslike sword with the worn leather-wrapped hilt at her waist. You conclude she’s no clerical assistant.

“... very well,” she mutters, her analysis of you over. “Come along.” She rests a hand on her side, near her sword-hilt.

A surge of pure homicidal rage tears through you. You loathe bullies, especially supernatural bullies, and you’ve been very, very patient today. The canine tengu sees the danger in your eyes and calmly prepares to draw –

“Pardon me. Miss,” Duke says in clipped tones from the clothing racks as he staggers upright. A navy-style bicorn hat has tumbled upon Duke’s head, points properly fore-and-aft, his canine ears vanishing into the deep crown. He rises to his full six feet and crosses his arms imperiously, glaring at the newcomer as only an offended Lawful Good paladin can.

The canine tengu stares at him slack-jawed, her hand pawing aimlessly at the air around her sword-hilt.

It takes you a few moments to understand the situation, but when you do, your strike is swift. “It looks like all of Aya’s companions are as rude as she is,” you say grimly, shaking your head. “What a shame.”

There’s a little croak of horror from the white-haired newcomer. She springs into action, dashing past you and seizing Aya’s arm in a come-along grip, linking arms and seizing the reporter’s wrist with her other hand.

“I’msosorryathousandapologiesI’msorrysorrysorry-” the newcomer mutters, her beet-red face turned towards the ground as she backs out the door with her captured companion. She bows awkwardly to Duke, forcing Aya to mimic the motion via her comealong grip, then retreats out the door.

“AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAayayayayayayaya~” the foiled newshound’s objections fade into the distance.

“... well!” you say, clapping your hands together. “Shall we?”

“Indeed,” Duke says, still a bit miffed, probably at being caught unawares from behind. He knocks the bicorn off his head with annoyance and steps into the street.

“I know a great cafe down the street-”

“And I’m buying,” you state with amusement.

“Bet your ass.”

“Be right with you,” you say, and Marisa shrugs, slings her broom over her shoulder cockily, and swaggers out to shoot the breeze with Duke. You wait until they’re good and distracted, then slip over to the door and rescue the bicorn.

Pama-same is soon grinning as he makes the curious little cash-box chime.


--------


“Well then,” Marisa asks a half-hour later, “where do you get the energy from?[/i]”

“Same place most spellcasters do;” you murmur around the carrot cake you’re shoveling into your mouth. “Fabric of creahsunmmmmm,” you savor.

Marisa chugs her tea so fast she makes gurgling sounds, then happily pours herself some more. Duke’s expression blends boredom and disgust in equal amounts, channeled into a blank stare shooting across the table and out the cafe windows towards the street. Daintily holding his little teacup ‘twixt thumb and forefinger, he waits for the “magicrap” discussion to abate.

“But when?” Marisa asks.

“When you first invoke the spell. The actual prep-time, the pre-casting. Your mind holds that potential energy, like a dam holds water, until you finish the spell and release it.”

“And it can only hold so much.”

“Right.” You push your cleared plate aside and briefly tussle with Marisa for the teapot until the waitress brings you your own. You hug your prize defensively as you continue: “And you get around being young and inexperienced with power-assists, right? The Mini-hawk-eroo and the mushroom powder.”

“The mini-hakkero Marisa corrects you crossly. “A storage battery and a focusing device, in one. And yeah, the mushroom powder is a primary reagent and power source.”

You return to the equations you and Marisa have been going over. “So once you use it on yourself...”

“I’ve got the potential energy for a day or so, I guess,” she says. “I usually cast the spell right before I go asskicking. I mean, ‘investigating incidents’.”

“And the hakkero-”

“Pretty much forever. And the hakkero focuses both sources. Combine them and I can blast anybody clear into sky-twinkles. BLAMMO!” she pantomimes with gusto.

You glance back at some circled equations – where they change from straightforward alchemy to straightforward evocation notations. “I’m not sure how to use this myself, though...”

“Jush ush it ihhn ‘er preff phaahze,” Marisa mumbles around a mouthful as she attacks her own cake.

“There’s already a way to do that,” you tell her. “Problem is, it stores more potential energy in your mind; reduces capacity for others. Same diff.”

Marisa shrugs. “Grow stronger.”

“Unless...” you muse. “I use it upon casting. Inject extra energy right as I unleash the spell.”

Duke frowns. He knows little of magic, but any extra-planar being knows a little of intra-dimensional energies, by their very nature. “Won’t that make the spell unstable and its power output unpredictable?”

“So?” you and Marisa answer in unison.

Duke sighs that uniquely canine sigh of exasperation, and sips his tea.

“So where can I get this stuff? Don’t suppose you’ve got any I can buy?” you ask Marisa.

She shakes her head. “I frikkin wish. It’s too damn hard to get.”

“Know where I can those ‘shrooms?”

“I could tell you, but...” Marisa frowns. “The Forest isn’t a place to dick around in, y’know? Especially for a new guy. The trees are... treacherous.”

“Chatty, too.”

“What?”

“Nothing. Just tell me where this place is – trust me, I’ve handled stranger plant-life then trees, people-eating or otherwise.”

“Mmmm,” Marisa says. “Now we discuss payment.”

“Name it.”

Marisa names an exorbitant sum.

“Half of that.”

“Nope, sorry. Goodbye~” she says, slipping off the chair and making for the door.

“Oh well,” you say casually, reaching into Duke’s proffered purse and letting a few platinum pieces drop onto the table to cover Marisa’s ditched dining bill. The ring of the coins rings true on the metal-faced tabletops. “See you ‘round!”

Marisa’s foot hovers over the cafe’s sill-stone. You slip from your chair and make for the other exit.

“Wait!” Marisa says, running back to you. “Seventy-five percent!”

“Sixty.”

“Sixty-five!”

“DEAL!” you shout, clapping her on the back and shaking her hand vigorously. “Now spill.”

She spills, and after watching you attempt map-making, she irritably takes your pen away and sketches you a much better map and list of directions.

“I’ve pretty much memorized the way, though... there’s really no ‘way’ to memorize. It’s a bit wonky every time, it’s more that you get familiar with that section of forest’s mood, and-”

“I think I’ve got the gist,” you say, frowning at the odd directions. “This will do nicely, thank you.”

The screen door of the cafe slams open, and you look up in time to intercept a flung flyer with your face.

“SPRINGTIME KAPPAFEST THREE-THOUSAND!” somebody is shouting. “MORE GADGETS AND SHINY STUFF!”

You wrestle angrily with the flyer, which has adhered to your nose via static cling. Crumpling it up, you fling it at the shouting person.

“Hey!” Sanae exclaims as the crumpled ball impacts her head. She whips around, brandishing a stack of promotional literature in both hands. “Y-you!”

“M-m-me!” you retort. “What’s wrong, frog got yer tongue?”

“N-no, I just-”

“She’s just afraid I’m gonna make fun of her for getting her ass kicked by you,” Marisa sniggers.

Sanae turns beet-red at this, crumpling and twisting her stack of flyers into something passably thwock-y. “I did it standing up for YOU, you loud-mouthed galoot!” Her headlong charge is spoiled somewhat by the requisite weaving ‘twixt tables, but she manages a good land speed nonetheless. She rushes Marisa, getting in a few good hot-blooded whacks before the Witch whips off her huge hat and slams it upon Sanae’s brow, yanking hard and burying her head deep in the absurdly-tall crown.

“NUUUUUU~” Sanae’s muffled voice calls as she lays about madly with her twisted papers. Laughter erupts throughout the cafe.

Duke sips his tea.

The laughter subsides as quick as the chill climbing your spine. There’s a presence in the air, something almost electric in its intensity. You turn slowly towards the door.

Towering in the entrance is a tall woman of uncommon handsomeness, a long, dark red dress stopping just above her ankles and sandaled feet. Though she belts her loose shirt and secures her hair ribbon with simple loops of rope, her piercingly clear red eyes and unmistakable, intangible presence leave no doubts.

You’ve already met one god of Moriya shrine, which means this must be Kanako. Sanae’s agitation stands explained. You don’t share Sanae’s perturbations over your mere danmaku duel with her, but this is one of the people Keine spoke of so apprehensively.

Then again, you’re in a crowded cafe with plenty of witnesses. And... Keine’s never steered you wrong, but exactly why is she so wary of these people? She’s never said. And most residents of Gensokyo have been nothing but agreeable. Hell, the humans have been the most unpleasant of the lot, not the resident power-mongers. Perhaps you should meet and greet.

[ ] Stick around and talk with Kanako.
[ ] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here –
--[ ] With Marisa in tow, so she can help you find those ‘shrooms! Keine’s probably still busy.
--[ ] And find Keine. She can explain her wariness in more detail, at leisure. You’d rather have her along in the Forest then this wealth-digging Witch, anyhow.
[ ] Write-in?
>> No. 160189
File 134398358420.jpg - (69.82KB , 500x650 , dukehat.jpg ) [iqdb]
160189
btw
>> No. 160190
>ring of the coins
>son of a bi-

It's 4:51 AM so fuck it
>> No. 160191
[x] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here –
--[x] And find Keine. She can explain her wariness in more detail, at leisure. You’d rather have her along in the Forest then this wealth-digging Witch, anyhow.

Let's attempt to get the story on track some before any more questionable choices are made. A bunch of money and possibly a book for not much as far as I can tell.
>> No. 160192
[x] Stick around and talk with Kanako.

Wanna meet this goddess.
>> No. 160195
[X] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here –
--[ ] With Marisa in tow, so she can help you find those ‘shrooms! Keine’s probably still busy.

Fuck it, we'll take Marisa. Keine's cool and all, but come on. She steals the spotlight as it is. And Marisa knows the place better.
>> No. 160196
[x] Stick around and talk with Kanako.
Time to turn on the ol' Wizard Charm
and by that I mean offer her a drink as restitution for making her shrine maiden look bad
>> No. 160197
[X] Stick around and talk with Kanako.
>> No. 160198
[x] Stick around and talk with Kanako.

She's probably already noticed us.
>> No. 160200
Hmmm... so, just wondering about something here. Here's Duke. Tall, imposing, heroic, canine, and wearing an awesome hat. Momiji takes one look at him, and is suddenly blushing. Has Momiji become smit? Because that is hilarious, and let's face it, completely understandable.

But on to my vote:

[x] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here –
--[x] And find Keine. She can explain her wariness in more detail, at leisure. You’d rather have her along in the Forest then this wealth-digging Witch, anyhow

As tempted as I am to see how Demetrious writes Kanako, I'm getting a bad vibe here. Might be better to make a tactical withdrawal and learn just what we're dealing with.
>> No. 160201
[X] Stick around and talk to Kanako.
There's not any harm in chatting with a goddess, and I'm sure our protagonist has chatted up some deities in his time. Same crap, different day.
>> No. 160203
[X] Stick around and talk to Kanako.
[X] ...but not for too long and not about anything important. Try to find Keine. She can explain her wariness in more detail, at leisure. You’d rather have her along in the Forest then this wealth-digging Witch, anyhow.

While cooperating with Marisa makes me feel all fuzzy inside, we can absolutely not risk to neglect Keine any more than we already have.
But outright fleeing confrontation seems cowardly and suspicious, though. After all, this IS Gensokyo and I don't think the outcome of danmaku battles over minor disagreements usually results in a spree of vendetta where someone is really out to annihilate you. We don't have much to hide and in the case we actually do, we don't want to make it that obvious.

(Beware, for I reveal my lack of knowledge about the Touhou world!)
>> No. 160205
[x] Stick around and talk with Kanako.
>> No. 160206
Another reason to talk to Keine: revealing what we found out from Youmu.
>> No. 160207
[x] Stick around and talk with Kanako.

I'm interested in what she'd have to say, plus this might lead to us seeing Suwako again.
>> No. 160208
[x]Yank that hat off Sanae's head, then immediately...
-[x] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here –
--[x] And find Keine. She can explain her wariness in more detail, at leisure. You’d rather have her along in the Forest then this wealth-digging Witch, anyhow
>> No. 160209
Also, I'm still a bit confused about why we're going after mushrooms instead of trying to solve this mystery about who's been trying to kill us and why.
>> No. 160211
>>160209
Chances are that as soon as we find out who's been trying to off us will confront us very soon after we find out.

Having superior (or less inferior firepower, at any rate) may not be a horrible idea in that case.
>> No. 160212
File 134402057646.gif - (1.93MB , 450x338 , lets get dangerous.gif ) [iqdb]
160212
[X] Stick around and talk with Kanako.

We kill dragons and don't afraid of anything.
>> No. 160214
>>160211
>>160211
But all that's for naught if we don't find her in the first place. We can hold our own in a fight already anyway.
>> No. 160215
[X] Stick around and talk with Kanako.

> Duke frowns. (...) “Won’t that make the spell unstable and its power output unpredictable?”

> “So?” you and Marisa answer in unison.

I snickered.
>> No. 160216
File 134402204686.png - (196.25KB , 535x380 , ivebeenwaitingforthis.png ) [iqdb]
160216
[x]talk to kanako

We still have the spells prepared to turn into an iron dragon swimming through magma at the speed of light.

LET Kananko try to intimidate us.

That said, tomorrow, we should prepare baleful polymorph. I want to turn something into a frog. There'll be plenty of monsters in the forest, and I'm sure Suwako would appreciate the gesture.

I am curious about more magic-talk with Marisa, but we shouldn't neglect Keine too much either, she's pretty unsure about herself.

And love-struck Momiji is awesome. She'll end up one of the 20 girls trying to corrupt the paladin I'm sure.
>> No. 160217
[X] Stick around and talk with Kanako.

Like this could possibly lead to anything bad...
>> No. 160218
[X] Stick around and talk to Kanako.
[X] ...but not for too long and not about anything important. Try to find Keine. She can explain her wariness in more detail, at leisure. You’d rather have her along in the Forest then this wealth-digging Witch, anyhow.

Agreed.
>> No. 160229
>>160209
because the people voted for that were like "Hurr durr bigger booms" as opposed to progressing the plot.

The worse part? These people were far more likely from /tg/ than here; just look at the stupid shit they vote for in SWQ.
>> No. 160231
>>160229
Let's not start blaming people who may or may not be from tg. We've got no way of proving it, and it's just a distraction to bitch about it.

I think it's far more likely that the long periods between updates make people forget or lose interest in the major plot, so they go for the option that promises immediate action.
>> No. 160233
>>160231
Even if it harms the story in the long run? He made a post in the most recent SWQ thread that he's growing a bit tired at how long it's gone on for the amount of progress made. At the rate of "empty" if not hindering choices being choosen, he'll likely get to that point with this story.
>> No. 160239
[X] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here – [X] And Find Aya. She had information you needed, and you did promise her an interview.
>> No. 160240
>>160233
>"empty" if not hindering choices
If he didn't want us to make stupid choices he wouldn't put them up for vote.
And I'm pretty sure he blamed his chronic inability to WRITE FASTER!!2! for the slow progress, not players picking the shiny red button whenever possible.
>> No. 160241
>>160240
It's not the choice itself than the moronic mindset behind choosing them. Most of the votes had a tone of "bigger booms" as opposed to something more rational like, "Maybe we should bury the hatchet with Marisa"
>> No. 160243
It also doesn't help that there doesn't seem to have been a plot planned out from the beginning (or hell, much further than a couple choices down the road). That kind of writing is tiring.
>> No. 160244
>>160240

>if he didn't want us to make moronic choices

THIS.

It might be satisfying to give Anon enough rope to hang himself, but since the author is dependent on Anon's choices, he is punishing himself as well.

Anonymous the individual can be intelligent. Anonymous the collective is a dumb panicky animal. If you don't want him to pick bad choices, don't offer them. I'd rather be railroaded then end the quest with 5/100 flags hit.
>> No. 160245
>>160244
Good point and remember, it's all fun and games until it starts snowing
>> No. 160246
>>160240
If I know one thing about D&D, it's that DMs love screwing over parties. And most of the time they won't even realize it until the knives come out.

>>160243
There is. We're just not looking for it.
>> No. 160249
File 134405531611.jpg - (127.60KB , 472x472 , df3c5e10a1945493bb7280ad8356798c.jpg ) [iqdb]
160249
>>160229
>instead of advancing the plot

Given how I've allowed this story to draaaaag out, well, plot is going to start finding YOU whether you like it or not. Which also matches my preference for active, vibrant worlds with characters that go about their own agendas and tasks off-camera as they actively pursue their goals.

The story has seriously dragged too long.
>> No. 160261
>>160249
Months between updates certainly hasn't helped either.
>> No. 160268
>>160249
Moving the plot is your job, mate. Don't blame Anon for this.
>> No. 160271
>>160268
>Given how I've allowed this story to draaaaag out
>I've allowed
>I've

He's not blaming Anon, the other voters have been blaming Anon. Moreover, he's said that he will be making more efforts to move the plot along. Who knows, maybe if we choose accordingly we'll get attacked again in the forest by Mysterious Antagonist X.
>> No. 160272
>>160271
allowing could also refer to giving choices like "Get shrooms, get bigger booms"
>> No. 160275
A great way to keep the plot moving along would be to disallow write-ins except when asked for. I've noticed a lot of quests will just take the highest-voted choice.

I'd lol hard to see everyone vote for the write in, just for the author to take the one vote and tell everyone else to fuck off.
>> No. 160276
>>160275
It'd be better to strip away any "empty progression" choices, such as the shrooms choice. Some Hijinks is fine but not if it starts getting in the way of the story.

It'd be ultimately better to leave hijinks during down periods as opposed to during the main plot scenes.
>> No. 160279
[x] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here –
--[x] And find Keine. She can explain her wariness in more detail, at leisure. You’d rather have her along in the Forest then this wealth-digging Witch, anyhow
>> No. 160280
[X] Stick around and talk to Kanako.
[X] ...but not for too long and not about anything important. Try to find Keine. She can explain her wariness in more detail, at leisure. You’d rather have her along in the Forest then this wealth-digging Witch, anyhow.
>> No. 160281
File 134411256269.jpg - (104.96KB , 638x380 , continue_the_joke.jpg ) [iqdb]
160281
>>160268
>Given how I've allowed
>I've allowed
>I've
>> No. 160296
File 134413400556.jpg - (27.42KB , 280x200 , Surprised Dog.jpg ) [iqdb]
160296
[ ] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here –
--[ ] And find Keine. She can explain her wariness in more detail, at leisure. You’d rather have her along in the Forest then this wealth-digging Witch, anyhow.

Also, I keep reading Wizardnon's lines in Shrek's voice for some reason. I'm not sure why, but it just... fits.
>> No. 160303
x] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here –
--[x] And find Keine. She can explain her wariness in more detail, at leisure. You’d rather have her along in the Forest then this wealth-digging Witch, anyhow

>>160296

Oh now I can't stop doing it either. Damn you.
>> No. 160309
[X] Stick around and talk to Kanako.
[X] ...but not for too long and not about anything important. Try to find Keine. She can explain her wariness in more detail, at leisure. You’d rather have her along in the Forest then this wealth-digging Witch, anyhow.
>> No. 160318
>>160188
[X] Stick around and talk to Kanako.
>> No. 160322
[x] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here –
--[x] And find Keine. She can explain her wariness in more detail, at leisure. You’d rather have her along in the Forest then this wealth-digging Witch, anyhow
Let's get this show on the road.
>> No. 160343
Am I the only one here who wants to pair up poor Momoji with Duke? :P

I mean, afterall, they are both dog spirit sort of...
>> No. 160344
[X] Stick around and talk with Kanako.
>> No. 160348
>>160343
that reminds me we never did find out what happened between him and Koakuma.
>> No. 160352
>>160343
>:P

We don't do that here. >>/gensokyo/6052

Also:
>Momoji
>afterall
>both dog spirit

Actually take the time to read your posts before hitting the reply button, would you? That's many more spelling/grammar mistakes than are acceptable, especially for such a short post.

Onto your actual point, I'm not really opposed to a Momiji and Duke pairing, but we've barely seen any of her and she's likely not going to be too major a character, so it's unlikely.
>> No. 160361
>>160352
My apology for the emoticon, I didn't know we don't allow them here, I apologize.

As for the rest, English isn't my primary language so I am bound to make mistakes, but thanks for correcting me anyway, also, I always thought her name is spelled Momoji instead of Momiji...shame on me
>> No. 160363
>>160361
Also, it is considered courteous to sage non-vote posts. Please do so.
>> No. 160377
I don't think celestials pair up at all. They "reproduce" when mortal souls enter the petitioner system of the higher planes and become a new celestial.

So Momiji is gonna be pretty disappointed.
>> No. 160384
>>160377

Well, it's not impossible. Half-celestials have to come from somewhere, after all.
>> No. 160410
[X] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here –
--[ ] With Marisa in tow, so she can help you find those ‘shrooms! Keine’s probably still busy.
>> No. 160424
[X] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here
--[ ] With Marisa in tow, so she can help you find those ‘shrooms! Keine’s probably still busy.

Disregard Kanako, acquire magical fungus.
>> No. 160425
She doesn't have a hat, right? Because we want no part of another Far Realms god-hat. That shit was crazy.

If so, then [X] Stick around and talk with Kanako.

Try to be that thing, what is it... we might have vaguely heard of it before... subtle? Offer to help Sanae with finding the Great Summer Youkai, maybe. Pool resources, compare notes. Alternatively, try and get Kanako to admit gods have prescience here in Gensokyo.
>> No. 160437
File 13444122592.png - (777.97KB , 1613x2000 , the mountain goddess in all her glory.png ) [iqdb]
160437
>>160425
No, Kanako doesn't have a hat.

As great as Demetrious's Sanae is, and given how starved I think I'm going to be for nice, happy Sanae in the near future, let's not help with the Midsummer Youkai. We've got enough commitments/tasks/women as it is.
>> No. 160477
[X] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here
Lets avoid another side quest for now. We seemed to have made up a little with Marisa in our own weird way, lets accept that and move on.
>> No. 160485
[x] Stick around and talk with Kanako.

Why is a goddess accompanying her minion on an errand? She has something(s) to do in the village, and I'll bet my hat one of them is talking to us.

You know I just realized, if the Great Summer Youkai is a faith grabbing plot (create and resolve incident to entice villagers already seeing the Moriya shrine as the only "working" one), then having a fireball first ask question never wizard on the loose would be irritating (as most touhou are reactive), even more so if the ghosts used as bait (and to discredit, or distract Keine) indirectly directed MC's attention to the one thing it was supposed to hide. And then irritated the goddess(es) decide to gazebo the interloper.
Tough that wouldn't explain the following ghosts "incidents", unless the plot is more complex than I first imagined.
>> No. 160494
>>160485
.....I HIGHLY doubt Kanako and Suwako were involved with the Gazebo.
>> No. 160495
>>160494
It is, however, apparently level 35ish cleric magic. And there are only two gods running around, here.
>> No. 160496
>>160495
Stop with your /tg/ nonsense and sage your goddamn posts.
Some of us don't give a damn about "3.5" or "cleric magic" or any other shit like that, just for your informations.
>> No. 160499
>>160496
You are calling out people for talking about Dungeons and Dragons in a thread that is a crossover of Touhou and Dungeons and Dragons. If your own ignorance is really this profound, the only course of action I can suggest it to get your head out of your fucking ass.
>> No. 160504
>>160495
It's not in their methods. Kanako'd personally smack him around and Suwako would curse him if he was on their bad side.
>> No. 160511
>>160504
Deme's Suwako is wearing an abomination as a hat and she seemed subtle or at least sneaky.
Besides as old as they are, and being what they are, the Moriya goddesses are I think just playing around most of the time, and thus we rarely have seen their true faces.


Ans a tally to make it seem like this post is useful.

[ ] Write-in?
[ ]Yank that hat off Sanae's head, then immediately... X
>>160208


[ ] Stick around and talk with Kanako. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>>160192
>>160196
>>160197
>>160198
>>160201
>>160205
>>160207
>>160212
>>160215
>>160216
>>160217
>>160318
>>160344
>>160425
>>160485


[X] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here. X
>>160477


[ ] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here –
--[ ] With Marisa in tow, so she can help you find those ‘shrooms! Keine’s probably still busy. XXX
>>160195
>>160410
>>160424


[ ] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here –
--[ ] And find Keine. She can explain her wariness in more detail, at leisure. You’d rather have her along in the Forest then this wealth-digging Witch, anyhow. XXXXXXX
>>160191
>>160200
>>160208
>>160279
>>160296
>>160303
>>160322


[ ] Write-in?
[ ] Stick around and talk to Kanako.
[ ] ...but not for too long and not about anything important. Try to find Keine. She can explain her wariness in more detail, at leisure. You’d rather have her along in the Forest then this wealth-digging Witch, anyhow. XXXX
>>160203
>>160218
>>160280
>>160309


[ ] Write-in?
[ ] Make like a tree and get the hell out of here – [ ] And Find Aya X
>>160239
>> No. 160531
I'd be pretty disapointed if the Kanako vote wins; we don't need any more subquests on top of all the ones we have already and there's something to be said of the plot finding us: if we're not looking out, it'll be at the worst time.
>> No. 160532
>>160531
Buuuuut Kanako might be part of the plot.
So ditching her could be turning away from possible plot progression.
And that would be absolutely horrible.
>> No. 160533
>>160531
Who beside Kanako could possibly have any new information to help the plot advance?

If we go with Marisa then most likely we'll get a more or less random encounter in the forest.
If we go with Keine then most likely something or someone plot relevant will come knocking (our lights out).

The less volatile possibility is a discussion with a suspect and someone who knows a lot and could learn much more, Kanako who has more to lose in public displays that could show her in a negative light than pretty much anyone else but Keine.
>> No. 160539
>>160499
You're on a touhou website, with precise rules. If you can't follow the rules (aka saging your non-votes posts), then I suggest you get the fuck out this website while carrying your thin and so delicate asshole with you, as it seems you're quite an ass yourself.
>> No. 160541
>>160539
You seem to like changing the topic, whining at me for not saging, instead of dealing with the fact that you're acting like a fucking child. I assure you my previous post was my only non-vote post in this thread. I haven't broken any rules, so find something else to whine about.
>> No. 160553
File 134464730053.jpg - (52.12KB , 612x500 , 128884733781.jpg ) [iqdb]
160553
>>160485
>> No. 160555
>>160541
Even if it wasn't you who didn't sage, he's absolutely right.
Why it is apparently so fucking hard to type sage in the email field is beyond me.
>> No. 160556
File 13446494777.jpg - (180.59KB , 534x635 , smelly dumb walfas scum.jpg ) [iqdb]
160556
>>160539

Playing backseat admin is one of the most disruptive things people can do on the internet, and for that reason it's often specifically banned. Our admins are perfectly competent and don't require your volunteer services - but since they're monitoring this thread already, I'm sure you'll find that out in short order if you keep this shit up.

And another thing - no more of this "smelly dumb /tg/ scum" bullshit. I don't know if it's actually widespread sentiment or just one dedicated autist, but either way it's trolling. "/tg/ wants to be the little girl" and "/t/ouhou/g/ames" are two common commentaries on the board. Seriously.

This doesn't mean anything - I'm just some dork who writes fanfiction about girls in silly hats, not an INTERNET HERO and certainly not an admin - but perhaps knowing the writer's stance on things will help keep the hurrrricanes to mere topical derp-pressions in the future.
>> No. 160558
>>160553
Is this, like, really close?
>> No. 160560
>>160558
Or completely wrong, I was lacking sleep when I made that theory, and while I still suspects along the same lines, now I can see holes in my thinking.
>> No. 160591
File 134472404275.png - (106.34KB , 222x205 , 1316744852736.png ) [iqdb]
160591
>>160558

Wow, I really DO make people paranoid.
>> No. 160592
>>160591
You gave us a lot of surprise, it keeps us on our toes and make the story more interesting, shows that you are a talented author.
>> No. 160593
>>160556

I nominate Demetrious for INTERNET HEROship.

(As a side note: I came here from /tg/. Hell, this CYOA is what got me into Touhou.)
>> No. 160598
>>160593
This story introduced me to THP, but not Touhou as a whole. Also, I don't support anyone being nominated for INTERNET HEROism.

Random question that I can bring up since we're in autosage: of those who first got into Touhou and/or this site through this story, how many of you now read other stories on the site? And which ones? Did we get any new writers via Wizard?
>> No. 160605
>>160598
Found the site, already knew about silly hat land.
I'm currently following 11 active stories, most on /th/, some on /at/. I've also read a few from the story list; The Game was absolutely brilliant.
The calibre of writing on this site is pretty amazing.
>> No. 160610
[X] Stick around and talk with Kanako.
- [X] DO WHAT MC DOES BEST....AGROPEASE, because nothing is cuter then an ancient goddess made to feel like she is a cute teenage girl, only to have wizard make her question if she should smote or smitten him to bits.

?? Can we seduce a goddess ?? Why yes we can :D
>> No. 160612
File 134474823640.jpg - (434.23KB , 1440x1560 , 1b81e77b8fb6bd648d085f5e30af6d86.jpg ) [iqdb]
160612
>>160610
just because you know you want to see this face.
>> No. 160617
>>160610
and cheat on Keine? This isn't SWQ.
>> No. 160627
>>160598

Yeah, I found AWiY about a year ago, which introduced me to the site and its writing in general. I liked some of what I saw, so I stuck around. Already knew about Touhou, though.
>> No. 160652
>>160617
let's keep our options open, a relationship not a week old isn't a fact of life, between discovering the bad sides of your partner, learning if you can live together, if you have the same goals, etc... Hell just look at Mokou! No matter how compatible two persons are, if theirs friends aren't then something as to give.
That's not even taking the borders, fates and history between the two into account, let's not forget what kind of place Gensokyo is.
>> No. 160653
deme you can't get out of battletech by claiming you are updating and then not updating
>> No. 160655
>>160653
Poor Crix. Nobody loves him.

<3
>> No. 160667
>>160653

Hey! I'm perfectly on-schedule. Which is to say, 24 hours later then I think I'll be.

At best.
>> No. 160681
File 134489932592.jpg - (311.29KB , 800x800 , e96d7e36387164d0963bdc75d06bbec9.jpg ) [iqdb]
160681
>>160667
Starts a nuclear watch count down of 24 hours like on the tv show, with each four corners showing Deme doing something that is 'not' updating.

We love your work Deme keep it up, after all we've waited longer to see you pull magic out of a hat....and in pyonta's case...that was taken far to literally you bastard.
>> No. 160694
>>160667
It's tuesday now

I will bring mech tasers for this
>> No. 160695
>>160694
I'll just go smack him for you guys. That'll work, right?
>> No. 160721
nuuu thread >>160720
>> No. 160758
>>160695

Seems it worked. Good job.