[Return]
Archived thread

File 132096090534.jpg - (11.09KB , 291x180 , bastion_kid.jpg ) [iqdb]
149231 No. 149231
Kid never knew what hit him.

He wakes up in a forest, all alone. That's strange enough. Not the alone part--kid's used to being alone. Has been for a long while now. It's the 'forest' part that confuses him. He only knows one forest, and if you fall asleep there, well, you ain't waking up again.
'Course, that's mostly true for this one, too, but he don't know that yet.

Anyway, this forest ain't that one. Trees are all wrong. Don't even look like trees. More like...tall grass. Really tall grass. He hopes there aren't any, shall we say, proportionate anklegators around.

He gets up, dusts himself off. He's not hurt, no worse than a botched Skyway landing would leave him. And he'd know--never did quite get the hang of those.

He checks his pack. Got the old City Crest and Marshal's Badge, a full load of tonics, few other odds and ends--mostly survival supplies--and two of his old friends:

Melee:
[]Something heavy.
[]Something sharp.
[]Something pointy.
[]Something hot.
Ranged:
[]Something strong.
[]Something fast.
[]Something crude.
[]Something small. Two somethings, in fact.
[]Something precise.
[]Something explosive.
[]Something wrong. Kid gave that back to me. Didn't feel right to him. Doesn't feel right to me, come to think of it.

Kid's ready for anything. So he looks around. Bad enough he don't know where he is, but it's night out. Moonlight helps some, but he can barely see ten feet in front of him. Except--what's that?
[]Are those lights off in the distance? Couldn't be. Civilization didn't go far past the edges of the city, and that was before the Calamity. Still, kid thinks it might be worth checking out.
[]Something in the bushes? Ain't much he can think of that wouldn't have tried to maul him by now.
[]Nah, it's nothing. Trick of the light, he thinks. Better--
--[]pick a direction and start walkin'. Hopefully there's an end to this forest.
--[]stay here, set up camp, and wait 'till dawn. Useless tryin' to get around in this pitch black.

------------------
First attempt at writing a CYOA. Hopefully formatting came through all right. Will call votes whenever I check back and/or it amuses me.

>> No. 149238
[x]Something hot.
[x]Something fast.
[x]Are those lights off in the distance? Couldn't be. Civilization didn't go far past the edges of the city, and that was before the Calamity. Still, kid thinks it might be worth checking out.

because why not
>> No. 149242
[X]Something hot.
[X]Something explosive.

[X]Something in the bushes? Ain't much he can think of that wouldn't have tried to maul him by now.

This seems interesting.
>> No. 149247
[X]Something sharp.
[X]Something explosive.

[X]Something in the bushes? Ain't much he can think of that wouldn't have tried to maul him by now.

You have my interest. Do you intend to tell the entire story through the Narrator?
>> No. 149250
>>149247
Mostly, yes. Dialogue will be rendered as, well, actual dialogue in most cases, but everything else will be via Rucks.
>> No. 149252
[x]Something heavy.
[x]Something strong.
[x]Are those lights off in the distance? Couldn't be. Civilization didn't go far past the edges of the city, and that was before the Calamity. Still, kid thinks it might be worth checking out.

Never played the game so I know nothing about this.
>> No. 149255
[X]Something sharp.
[X]Something fast.
[X]Something in the bushes? Ain't much he can think of that wouldn't have tried to maul him by now.

We want something fast to shoot with if we do get into a fight, hopefully to weaken whoever gets close to us.
And having something sharp is bound to be helpful, for melee.
That is my logic, anyway!
>> No. 149260
[X] Something sharp

[X] Are those lights off in the distance? Couldn't be. Civilization didn't go far past the edges of the city, and that was before the Calamity. Still, kid thinks it might be worth checking out.


I read all that in the Narrator's voice. It made my day.


I'm voting for the machete because I'm assuming we won't spend the entire story just fighting the local wildlife, meaning non-combat utility might be an issue. And in that case the machete and the hammer are the only ones that would have any proper use as tools. (And the hammer would be pretty much limited to "smash things", while a machete can be used for at least a few more purposes than just one.)
As for the ranged weapon, I really can't decide. I might vote for something later.

>>149252
Would you like a quick summary of the basic plot and all the weapons in Bastion? I mean, since you're voting I figured it might be fun to know what you just voted for.
>> No. 149271
>>149260
Sure, why not?
>> No. 149272
Okay, so maybe the vague allusions to the weapons of choice weren't the best idea.

Heavy:Hammer. Big, slow, heavy.
Sharp:Machete. Light, fast.
Pointy:Pike. Medium. Good reach.
Hot: Fire Bellows. Flamethrower, basically. Mwahaha
Strong: Bow. Slow, but very damaging.
Fast: Repeating rifle. Very fast, but low damage and long reload time.
Crude: "Musket", although actual effect is closer to a shotgun.
Small: Dual pistols. About what you'd expect from that.
Precise: Carbine. Works much like the bow, but with higher damage and lower accuracy on a snap shot. Just as accurate and with a higher projectile speed on an aimed shot, though.
Explosive: Mortar. Yeah, it's...it's basically a mortar.
Wrong: Calamity Cannon. "Low-yield nuclear rocket launcher" would not be an inaccurate description.
>> No. 149274
[x]Something sharp
[x]Something crude
[x]Are those lights off in the distance?

Might as well vote to outfit the kid like I often did for the game. Machete for close shaves and distance precision, blunderbuss for a sweeper. Leave no weaknesses, give no fucks.
>> No. 149275
[]Something heavy.
[]Something crude.

[]Are those lights off in the distance? Couldn't be. Civilization didn't go far past the edges of the city, and that was before the Calamity. Still, kid thinks it might be worth checking out.
>> No. 149276
[]Something heavy.
[]Something crude.

[]Are those lights off in the distance? Couldn't be. Civilization didn't go far past the edges of the city, and that was before the Calamity. Still, kid thinks it might be worth checking out.
>> No. 149277
[]Something heavy.
[]Something crude.

[]Are those lights off in the distance? Couldn't be. Civilization didn't go far past the edges of the city, and that was before the Calamity. Still, kid thinks it might be worth checking out.
>> No. 149279
Gah, sorry for the spam. Something went wonky with my browser. That's only one post-vote for me.
>> No. 149297
>>149252
Changing my votes to,
[x] Something hot
[x] Something explosive
>> No. 149304
[x] Something Sharp.
[x] Something Strong.

Man, I that game was really cool.
>> No. 149307
Calling it for:

[x]Something sharp.
[x]Something explosive.
[x]Are those lights off in the distance? Couldn't be. Civilization didn't go far past the edges of the city, and that was before the Calamity. Still, kid thinks it might be worth checking out.

The writilations commence.
>> No. 149314
>>149272
I think the weapons reference was a nice touch, but unfortunately it doesn't work too well for those who haven't played the game.
By the way, the shield was never mention but I'm guessing we have it just because it's the one piece of equipment you can't change. Just asking in case it becomes important later.


For some details about the game story/setting:
The city mentioned in the first post was called Caelondia and was basically seen as the center of the civilized world. Or at least that part of it. I think it's mentioned at some point that they originally came from somewhere else, "across the sea" or something, so Caelondia could have been some sort of colony. I might just have mixed it up with something else, though, so someone with better memory than me might want to confirm or deny that.
Anyway, there is also a tribe of people called the Ura who aren't from the city. Some of them live there, but they have their own style of clothes, their own traditions and history and even their own language. Ura are rather heavily discriminated against in Caelondia, mostly because they used to be at war with each other.

And "the Calamity" they're referring to was basically the end of the world.
That's the major plot element of the game. End of The World happened and everything has, literally, been shattered into pieces.
It's up to the Kid to fix everything because he's the only one who can, being the most badass of the few survivors. (And, judging by the things mentioned in his backstory when you go to Who Knows Where, probably one of the most badass people in the entire city.)


Also, if you haven't heard the narrator's (Rucks) voice, you should look up Bastion on youtube quick to hear it. His narration is what really makes the game so special.
If you aren't too worried about some minor spoilers (nothing related to the actual plot, but it is more interesting to play it yourself), it could be worth finding a video of Who Knows Where #1 to hear the Kid's backstory at the same time. You know, just to understand what makes him tick.
>> No. 149326
probably belongs in /others/

Has got my interest though
>> No. 149349
>>149326
Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between /general/ and /others/?
Both sound rather vague to me.
>> No. 149357
>>149349
Generally, alternate universe stuff goes in /others/, and stories that take place in normal Gensokyo go in /th/. It's not a hard and fast rule, though.
>> No. 149367
>>149357
Well, so far we don't really know where this takes place, but from the clues dropped in the first post I'm guessing somewhere in the Bamboo Forest of the Lost. (Not a terribly safe forest to fall asleep in, and trees that look like tall grass.)
Possibly near Eientei, that would explain the lights.
>> No. 149405
Kid sees some lights off in the distance. Not enough to be the Bastion, or even what's left of the city, but he doesn't care. Light means shelter. Light means civilization. Light means no giant anklegators swallowing you whole.

Kid takes a moment to check his weapons before he sets off.

His blade's an old Graver war machete. Doesn't hit too hard, but it's razor-sharp, and he can swing it lightning fast. Anything gets too close to him for comfort, it'll be cut to ribbons in a blink of an eye.

Kid's also hauling around a mortar. Old thing's a stripped-down, jury-rigged, and re-jury-rigged gun from Acobi's Chains, one of the finest of Caelondia's old warship fleet--before it was decommissioned, of course. Mortars are tough to learn; gotta worry about arcs and angles and all kinds of things that don't matter much with things like hammers and carbines. Kid spent a year or two of his time on the Rippling Wall manning one just like this, though; he knows what he's doing. Not much use if something gets the jump on you, but, well, that's what the machete's for.

Kid trudges through the forest, blade at the ready when he's not hackin' through those odd grass-trees. Light seems to be getting closer, and nothing's bothered him yet. Oh, there's been a rustle or two from the bushes, but nothin' that sounds big enough to try and take him on. Soon enough, he sees where the light's coming from.

A building. An actual, honest-to-Pyth, intact building. Big one, too—kid can't see much from here, but it looks least as big as a Caelondian mansion.

Now, that little revelation might sound a bit overdramatic to you, but think about this: Kid can count the number of intact buildings he's seen since the Calamity on his fingers. And he's had to build half of them himself.

This mansion, or whatever it is, this is proof that somethin' else survived. Not just someone else—we've found survivors here and there—but something. To the kid, this means the Old World ain't dead just yet.

And then, kid hears a voice.

Now, it ain't quite the shock that hearing Zulf's sobs was, back when he thought him 'n I were the only ones left. And it definitely ain't as nice as Zia's song. Not to mention, the lights are on; kid knows someone's there.

Still, things the way they are now, even a “Freeze! Hands in the air!” is a welcome sound, if it's comin' from a new voice.

Kid does what he's told, of course. Anyone livin' in a place like this is likely armed to the teeth and back, and he ain't that excited for a new face. “Okay,” he calls out to the darkness, “don't shoot!” Drops the old machete to the ground—hard to do, but not nearly as hard as survivin' a bullet to the head—and lifts his arms to the sky.

He hears footsteps comin' toward him, real quiet-like. Turns out they belong to a girl, a girl with a pistol trained right between his eyes. Looks about his age; same height. Wearin' some kinda uniform, makes her even harder to see in the dark, though the stealthy effect's kinda ruined by the decorations on the hat. Kid's not even sure what they're supposed to be; look like a cross between a rattle-tail's crest feathers and...ears, weird as it sounds to him. “All right”, she says, all cool and professional, “Name, business at Eientei, and don't try anything cute.” Kid's about to answer. But then he takes another look at the pistol.

There ain't a pistol.

She's not even holding anything. Just has her fingers out in the shape of a gun, like a little kid playin' Breakers and Ura.

[ ]Kid knows when he's bein' made a fool of. “Look,” he says, reachin' down for the machete, “why don't you just bring me inside before something big and ugly eats the both of us?”

[ ]Kid plays along for now. Tells her his name, says he's as lost as a kid can be, and keeps very, very still in the process.
>> No. 149406
[X] Kid plays along for now. Tells her his name, says he's as lost as a kid can be, and keeps very, very still in the process.
>> No. 149413
>>149314
D'oh. Yes, of course he has the shield, too.
>> No. 149418
[x] Kid plays along for now. Tells her his name, says he's as lost as a kid can be, and keeps very, very still in the process.

Play nice.
>> No. 149423
[X] Kid plays along for now. Tells her his name, says he's as lost as a kid can be, and keeps very, very still in the process.

Let's just take the head ornament as a hint and assume that she's a few Gasbags short of a mining team. Nobody, even the Kid, was completely okay after the Calamity, but we don't want to needlessly agitate anyone like that so let's just go along with her "handgun" for now.
>> No. 149424
[x]Kid plays along for now. Tells her his name, says he's as lost as a kid can be, and keeps very, very still in the process.
>> No. 149465
[X]Kid knows when he's bein' made a fool of. “Look,” he says, reachin' down for the machete, “why don't you just bring me inside before something big and ugly eats the both of us?”
>> No. 149563
[X] Kid plays along for now. Tells her his name, says he's as lost as a kid can be, and keeps very, very still in the process.
>> No. 149577
[X] Kid plays along for now. Tells her his name, says he's as lost as a kid can be, and keeps very, very still in the process.
>> No. 149667
Calling it for:

[x] Kid plays along for now. Tells her his name, says he's as lost as a kid can be, and keeps very, very still in the process.

i are write now.
>> No. 149805
Calamity hit some folks worse than others. Me, Zia, the kid, none of us really had anyone before it happened. Don't mean it didn't hurt, seein' all you ever knew turned to ash, but we didn't have a whole lot to lose in the first place.

Zulf, though, he did lose someone. Didn't take it too well, either. Got a feelin' he's more the rule than the exception when it comes to that.

Case in point, this girl here. Funny hair decs, seems to think she can shoot bullets out of her hand. Kid has a feeling he knows why, but figures it's best not to agitate her further. Plays along for now, tells her his name. “I came from the Bastion,” he adds, “and, uh, I'm not really sure how I got here. Where am I, anyway?”

She nods as she circles around him, keepin' the business end of her pointer finger trained on him the whole time. “Bastion, hm? Never heard of it.” Ignores the question at the end, bends down to pick up the machete instead.

Kid doesn't like the sound of that. Bastion's pretty common knowledge for the people of Caelondia, even all the way out on the fringes. Means he's real far from home, maybe all the way to a whole 'nother continent. Didn't think the Skyway could take him that far, but there you go. Before he has too long to think on that, though, girl pipes up again. “When you say you're not sure how you got 'here'...do you mean 'here' as in this exact spot, or 'here' as in this whole forest?”

Kid has a real bad feeling about this. “The forest. I just kinda...woke up here. I don't even remember leaving the Bastion.”

Girl rolls her eyes. “Great. Here we go again.” She taps a strange little box attached to a wire near her ear. “Hashi here. Target wasn't hostile, just some lost kid. Not from around here, either.” She waits for a moment. “Roger.” Then turns back to him. “Follow me, kid. Your day's only gonna get weirder from here.”

---------------------------------------------------

Turns out, those hair decorations...ain't. They're the girl's ears. Kid finds this out when he asks her...after seeing her 'sisters'. That's what she calls 'em, at least. There are dozens, hundreds of them, all throughout this “Eientei” place (which, by the way, is a fair bit bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. Kid's still tryin' to figure that part out), and they've all got those ears. Same ears as some kind of large rodent that's all over this place, which the kid declines to ask about. Mostly look to be teenagers—a few younger, a few older. None look much older than him. All wearin' the same little pink dress, exceptin' a few in the same uniforms as the girl escortin' him.

Anyhow, way she tells it, Eientei's the local hospital, mostly by way of its owner—one “Mistress Eirin”--bein' the only decent doctor in those parts. The exact location and nature of those parts is the first question the kid asks. She shuts him down, though; says 'new arrival orientation' ain't her job.

One o' the other girls gets the kid's attention as they pass her by. Nothin' about her really stands out—she's wearin' the same pink dress most of 'em are—but the way other girls stand around her make it clear she's in charge. And, well, she never actually says “Eh-heh-heh. Fresh meat,” but her face says it for her.

Eventually, kid and the girl end up at what looks like a little dinin' room. Another girl's sittin' there at the table. Looks a bit older, has long, light purple hair, wears the same uniform with a couple extra badges. “Welcome to Eientei,” she says. “And based on what Hashi here has told me, welcome to Gensokyo as well. My name is Reisen Udongein Inaba, and I am in charge of security and public relations here at Eientei.”

Kid thanks her, introduces himself. Asks her where, exactly, he is. She tells him. Turns out, Eientei's part of a little piece o' land called Gensokyo, sealed off from the rest of the world by some kinda energy barrier. Reisen calls it “majik” or somethin'; kid just nods and pretends he understands. Only gets worse from there. People end up there all the time by accident—usually folks livin' near the barrier, but sometimes from places much farther away. And the reason it's sealed off like that? There're things called “yo-kye” that live here. Some are nice enough. Some like a nice pot o' human stew for dinner.

“So...this barrier,” kid asks. “That's what protected you all from the Calamity?”

Blank looks all 'round. “The...what calamity?” Reisen asks.

Kid's worried now. Still, he presses on. “Well, uh, maybe this barrier you talked about stopped it somehow. But, uh...about two weeks ago...put it simply, the whole world was destroyed. Cracked open like an egg, split into millions of pieces. Almost everyone died. Turned...turned to ash. In an instant. We...we haven't found many survivors yet.”

Awkward silence. Long, awkward silence. Reisen waves Hashi over, whispers something to her. Hashi whispers something back. Reisen nods, whispers again, and turns back to the kid. Hashi walks over to a closet, starts rummaging through.

“Where are you from, exactly?” Reisen asks.

“Uh, well, we've been tracking down survivors from the Bastion, but I'm originally from Caelondia.”

“I...see. And where is Caelondia?” Hashi comes back, lays some paper out on the table between them. “Could you point it out on this map, perhaps?”

Kid looks down at the map.

Now, kid learned his geography in school. Whole lot of the world's unexplored, but Caelondia knows what it looks like for the most part. Continents, coastlines, they don't move all that much.

But the kid don't recognize a single thing on that map. Nothin' looks even a tiny bit like the continent that Caelondia and the Ura Terminals call home.

“It's...it's not there,” kid hears himself say, barely believin' it. “Caelondia's not there...this is the whole world?”

Reisen nods, slowly. “And...I am sorry, truly sorry about your...world, your people, but we had scouts to the outside world report back just a few hours ago. This world is very much intact.” Gives the kid a long, sympathetic look. “I'm afraid you might be very, very far from home.”

---------------------------------------------------

Now, thing about Eientei...it's as big as it needs to be. Need an extra room for an unexpected guest? It'll have one. Might not even have any medical equipment in it.

So there lays the kid. Room's got a big, comfy bed, but he's on his old bedroll on his floor. Can't sleep with all that extra padding. Can't sleep anyway, but that's beside the point.

Kid's tryin' not to think about it, but, well, ain't much else to think about. Already lost his whole world once, and now he's lost the few pieces he had left. Even his trusty machete and mortar are gone, confiscated 'til he leaves. Kid don't have much else to lose.

And...kid buries the thought, soon as it comes up, but it stays there, bubblin' beneath his mind like bad pecker stew. What if, he thinks, what if I'm better off here?

Kid finds sleep eventually, though it's a long, hard search.

[]He dreams of a better time.
[]He dreams of a broken world.
[]He dreams of what might be.
>> No. 149807
I loved the update. I do not love the painfully obvious dream sequence choice.
>> No. 149809
>>149807
Painfully obvious in what way? Painfully obvious that it is a dream sequence choice, or painfully obvious about what each choice leads to?

Glad you liked the rest of it, though.
>> No. 149810
[]He dreams of a broken world.

And did I mention that your style is awesome? Because it is. It fills me with the urge to pick up Bastion when I finally get back from the sea.
>> No. 149812
>>149809
Both. You caught me at a bad time, really, I'm feeling particularly unkind toward using dream sequences to convey backstory and prophetic dreams right now.
And this looks like an info choice that won't affect the story (beyond giving us info, I mean), or it'll affect the story in an unknowable, unpredictable way. I don't like that. I don't like sacrificing info, either. Or choosing between info and finding out that, hey, turns out I'm getting all the info after all. allllllll the info

I'll probably like the next update just fine. Don't mind me.
>> No. 149817
[X]He dreams of a broken world.

By the way, two questions.
First. Roughly where in the time line of the game does this happen?
...Actually, I'm just gonna vote for broken world. That will probably have enough info to tell. There's basically just three general parts of the time line I'm thinking about. Cores, Shards and after the credits. Because if it's during the Shards part, the thing with the journal and all that might be... A bit important.
(Yeah, I'm being rather vague. But I really think this game is worth playing yourself, for those of you who haven't. So I will try to avoid outright spoilers at least.)

And what's your policy on write-ins?
I don't have one for this particular choice, but just figured I'd ask in case it becomes important later.
>> No. 149835
[X]He dreams of a broken world.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it / become history.
>> No. 149837
[X]He dreams of a broken world.

Better to see where you are going, if you know where you are (which he has at least some onkling of) and where you came from. Hopefully has some hints for us.

OC: You made me replay the game once again! Fifth time by now....
>> No. 149838
[X]He dreams of a broken world.

Better to see where you are going, if you know where you are (which he has at least some inkling of) and where you came from. Hopefully has some hints for us.

OC: You made me replay the game once again! Fifth time by now....
>> No. 149851
>>149817
Where this takes place in the game's timeline...well, I've intentionally left that vague so far, though there are a couple hints. Y'all are on the right track to finding out as soon as possible, though.

As for write-ins, they are welcome at any time, and will be used if they are particularly popular, ingenious, amusing, and/or fit in with the winning given choice.
>> No. 149870
>>149851
Yeah, I'm starting to get a vague idea but I'm not sure yet. That why I asked, but I'll just wait for more updates then.
But as far as I can tell, it's at least towards late game. Because of things like knowing that Zulf lost someone very special in the Calamity. IIRC you don't know that until the third Who Knows Where.
>> No. 149892
[x] He dreams of a broken world.
>> No. 149895
[X]He dreams of a broken world.

Just caught up. This story looks interesting, and the narration style fits just fine, even if it has (out of necessity) a lot more dialogue than the game had.

One thing you might want to take note of is that the mortar actually is either a long range weapon, or a very short range weapon.
The shell can explode the moment it leaves that tube, so if a monster happens to be right in front of you when you fire, it's going to get a brand new face made out of pain and shrapnel.
>> No. 149897
>>149895
Wouldn't you also get a face made out of pain and shrapnel?

[X]He dreams of a broken world.
>> No. 149929
[X]He dreams of a broken world.
>> No. 149931
"Walk by a kid with a machete and a mortar you just keep on walkin'."
>> No. 151203
Abandoned?