[Return]
Archived thread

File 131388857496.jpg - (264.05KB , 1215x717 , Garen_Splash_5.jpg ) [iqdb]
145068 No. 145068
[x] A drink or two wouldn't hurt.

You don't see any harm in having a drink or two. In fact, in your experience, taverns are the best place to learn the true nature of the citizens of a nation. On top of it, you were invited in despite being a human. It would be rude to turn down a gesture, especially when you are currently seeking to raise your personal image among the youkai of the mountain. You step through the doorway and a cheer rises around you as you cross the floor towards the tall, horned woman. She smirks as she clears you a spot at a table towards the rear, with two other patrons seated at it smiling drunkenly as you approach. Hazuki pours you a mug of whatever alcohol is in the barrel and passes it off to you with a smirk as you reach the table. You take the seat prepared for you as Momiji steps up nearby, and you raise the mug to your mouth. You only get a mouthful of the brew down before you have to stop, barely managing not to sputter. The booze is much stronger than anything you've ever had before. Hazuki chuckles.

"Too strong for you?” she asks. You opt to take another drink rather than answer, and this time you fare much better, which serves to grow the barmistress' smirk.
"I've never had a drink so potent before that I choked on it,” you comment, “then again, I've never drank anything meant for youkai.”

"Haha, being a youkai has nothing to do with it,” Hazuki comments, “youkai can get drunk on sake like anyone else,” she punctuates with a shake of the barrel, “but my regular customers come here for this.”

"Nothing quite like a strong drink now and then,” you say, taking another mouthful of the strong booze.

"It's good to see a human in here for once though,” Hazuki mentions, her smirk continuing, “though it's obvious you're the outsider we've all been hearing about.”

"News travels fairly fast, I suppose,” you respond, but Hazuki shakes her head.

"I could tell when you actually accepted the invitation to a drink. No native would be brave enough to step in here and have some of Oni Hazuki's house blend, let alone allow themselves to be surrounded by youkai,” she replies, “even though I'll always welcome a customer, youkai or human, and they can always expect to have a good time here.”

"Is that so?” you ask, a little surprised to hear an accepting attitude from a youkai. “You don't have a problem with humans?” Hazuki sets down her barrel for once, leaning against it as a makeshift seat.

"Oni, more than any other youkai, understand how humans like to throw the blame for their problems on youkai. I don't particularly hold it against them, as they are weak in comparison to all other spiritual creatures, it's only natural they'd feel frustrated over it and take out their problems on those above them,” Hazuki explains, “the problem we face though is that with Gensokyo sealed off from the rest of the world as one of the last remaining bastions of magical and spiritual energy, the local humans have power on a level typical of youkai, but still continue to act the underdog. The tensions rise due to the number of humans that want to use their power against all youkai, rather than just the ones that cause them grief. This particularly bothers the Tengu, as they've been here longer than humans, and suddenly they're having to face the idea of being forced out of their ancient home.”

"Seems like quite a problem these youkai of the mountain face,” you say. Hazuki nods.

"Quite a problem for sure, one that I understand quite well. Oni used to be the rulers of this Youkai Mountain with the Tengu serving under us, and our own conflicts with humans caused our race to leave it to the Tengu and relocate rather than continue to face conflict with humans who would abuse our honesty and honour to destroy us with underhanded tactics,” Hazuki reveals.

"And humans are doing the same thing again, even though there are youkai that remember this?” you ask for clarification. Hazuki nods. You notice now that a few patrons nearby have joined in on listening too, taking solemn expressions compared to the rest of the patrons enjoying their time.

"They just want to remove youkai from Gensokyo so they can have it all to themselves,” one of your inebriated tablemates declares, “they want the resources and land for themselves.”

"Of course, they can't afford an actual war,” Hazuki interjects, “not all the humans support the idea of a conflict, but they're still a minority. If they did trigger a war with any of the youkai factions, there's no guarantee they'd leave any survivors, even among non-combatants.”

"Surrounded by potential enemies on all sides, but still refusing to back down,” you note aloud. You have to admit, the potential challenge in raising against such a situation appeals to you, though you still want to gauge more of the 'political' situation, as well as gaining whatever power you can.

"It's a bad situation for them, and unfortunate. Which is why I welcome humans along with youkai. If anyone could use a good drink around here to forget their troubles, it'd be a human,” Hazuki says with a smile. “Besides, if everyone gets shitfaced, they could forget about their problems and possibly facilitate a joining of human and youkai races.” Hazuki chuckles again, and you laugh a bit as well, glancing at Momiji, then back to Hazuki.

"If it did come to war though, what would you do?” you ask.

"I'd leave, go back to my kind. Even despite what they did to my kind in the past, I can't help but feel sorry for them, but at the same time I couldn't sit by and let them push the Tengu off the mountain. I wouldn't feel right fighting for or against them. Some of my kin would easily return to battle the humans though, which would make for a very short war,” Hazuki states.

"Are you that confident in the strength of your kind?” you query. You immediately note the several amused glances you get from patrons in earshot. Hazuki seems pretty amused too.

"A single Oni could lay into a few hundred human soldiers and crush them all without losing their buzz,” Hazuki declares. You almost feel like calling her bluff on that, but hold your tongue. You cannot possibly accept the idea of a single being able to hold off hundreds of soldiers alone, but you can't disprove it either. You can't help but feel like having a demonstration, however. Such strength would be an absolute rush to face.

[] Request a simple demonstration of strength.
[] Request a test of combat.
[] You'd rather take her word for it, as unlikely as it seems.

---

Puppies are a lot of work. Add a 5 and 6 year old pair of female cats and suddenly the problems multiply.

>> No. 145069
[X] Request a simple demonstration of strength.

We need some concrete intelligence on just how strong they are.

Also, good luck with rasing your pets.
>> No. 145072
[x] You'd rather take her word for it, as unlikely as it seems.

Oni's dont lie, brah.
>> No. 145074
[] Request a test of combat.

Suicidal? Maybe. Awesome? Definitely.
>> No. 145077
[X] Request a test of combat.

Watching a simple demonstration, while certainly informative, would not answer the important question - whether Conanon could take an oni himself. Furthermore, he needs to get back in the habit of facing live opponents - if he stays out of real fights for too long, he could lose his edge.
>> No. 145078
[x] Request a test of combat.

All new world. Everything starts anew. It is time to find some capable people for your quest to once again become king. An oni as a commander or right hand man would be perfect.

Plus, a fight with her would bring him back into the saddle and help him learn a thing or two. After the talk i doubt she would go full power or anything more serious on him.
>> No. 145080
[x] Request a test of combat.

So dumb.
>> No. 145104
[x] Request a test of combat.

Fuck yes, Oni fight.
>> No. 145105
[x] Request a test of combat.

Fuck yes, Oni fight.
>> No. 145116
[x] Request a test of combat.

Can't think of what consequences this will have. Test of combat = more chances of alliance witj the oni? Demonstration = simply not underestimating the oni?
>> No. 145121
[X] Request a test of combat.

I agree with >>145074
>> No. 145129
[x] Request a test of combat.
>> No. 145201
[x] Request a test of combat.

Win or lose, there's no better way to get tavern-patrons to spread your name than to start a donnybrook with an oni.
>> No. 145234
[x] Request a test of combat.

>>145201
I like that word.
>> No. 145268
[x] Request a test of combat.

You decide the only proof you can accept is a test of strength in combat. You take a hearty draft from your mug and set it on the table.

"I'm somewhat of an old hand at combat myself, though the best I could hope to claim I could engage at once would be close to a dozen,” you reply, “the idea of a single person, a woman at that, having the strength to rout a hundred men? I must see this strength of yours.”

"Hah, seems like you're a bit of a lightweight,” Hazuki jokes, thinking that you're simply making a drunken challenge. You remain silent, and the smile slowly fades from her face. “You're serious?”

"Hey hey, it's no joke,” Momiji jumps in, circling around the table to you, “Oni never lie. You'd be seriously hurt if you tried to fight.”

"I'd have to say, you're a madman if you want to fight an Oni,” Hazuki follows.

"Impossible or not, I still wish to try, so that I can understand for myself just how strong you are,” you continue, resolute in your decision, “at the least, I have magic that can protect me from even the mightiest of blows.”

"You'll need that,” Hazuki grins, stepping off her barrel as you stand from your seat, “shall we take this outside?”

"After you,” you direct, and with a smile, Hazuki heads off first, and Momiji steps in front of you.

"This is seriously a bad idea,” she complains, “I don't know if you're just confident after putting up a fight against me, but an Oni like Hazuki could take on the entire Mountain Watch.” You can feel yourself smiling, an almost mad smile, the prospect of fighting a being that can combat entire armies of humans one on one. The anticipation of the first exchange overrides all sense of danger, you simply cannot wait to get outside, as you push past Momiji and head outside. Hazuki is barehanded, while you have your blades. At the least, you won't draw them against her, a solely hand-to-hand match. Momiji rushes out behind you and begins to announce the impending event is not a fight, but simply a friendly test of strength, as a crowd has already begun to form on the street at the sight of Hazuki alone.

"Prepare your defenses, man,” Hazuki says, cracking her knuckles. For the first time, you notice a large, heavy looking shackle on her right wrist, with a few links of broken chain dangling. You focus your magical energies in preparation, focusing into your arms. You form two faint shields of light this time, one for each arm, and test them with a slap of your palm. The solid force meets your hand unforgivingly, with absolutely no give. “Magical shielding, huh?” Hazuki states.

"Stronger than any metal, and lighter than the sleeves of a shirt,” you reply, “the best protection one could hope for.” Hazuki smirks, then assumes a combat posture, with her hands in front of her. You take a more defensive position, preparing to try to stop whatever strike she throws.

"I hope your magic can take this,” she says, then dashes towards you. Her speed is greater than anything you've seen, and all you can do is assume a complete defensive stance to intercept before she is upon you. Her right fist strikes against the shield in front of your left forearm, and the next thing you know you're facing a series of hard impacts. You don't even realize you've been sent rolling down the street until you feel yourself hit something softer than the ground and find yourself prone on your back, with Momiji kneeling next to you looking a little worse for wear. Your entire left arm is throbbing in pain, your forearm more so, but you can't help but still smile.

"Are you okay?” Momiji asks, looking slightly concerned, “you were sent flying with a single punch. I had to catch you before you hit anyone else.” You roll your head around, seeing a few nearby youkai wearing amused and condescending grins.

"It was incredible,” you respond, your mind still processing the fact you were knocked clear off your feet and sent flying by a single hit, even despite your magic shields. You laugh a bit before dropping into a coughing fit, some loose dirt has gotten into your mouth. Hazuki's face appears over you, looking down with an apologetic expression.

"You're still in one piece?” she asks, crouching next to Momiji at your side, tapping a point on her left forearm. “I tried to aim for the center of your shield, since I didn't want to risk missing the edge and actually hitting you, or breaking your arm if it twisted,” she pauses, “so, you feel like continuing?” You give a small laugh.

[] “I've learned my lesson about Oni.”
[] “I could get to like a woman like you.”
[] “I do have one final trick I could try.”

---

Cannot wait for these dogs to get older. Got barely more than 5 hours sleep every night for the past 4 days, 3 of those on the couch in case the puppies got up in the night. Sleeping like shit and then having to put up with these little hellions ~14 hours a day with nothing that can reliably pass time is absolutely testing the limits of how far an animal can push me before I stomp it into paste.
>> No. 145269
[x] “I could get to like a woman like you.”
>> No. 145271
[x] “I do have one final trick I could try.”
She showed her punch, time to show he has something too. A real fight is out of question, so at least impress her a little bit.
>> No. 145276
[x] “I do have one final trick I could try.”
>> No. 145277
[X] “I do have one final trick I could try.”

We're going to need some respect around here because right now we're just a weak little human to them.

KAIO-KEN
>> No. 145278
[X] “I do have one final trick I could try.”

Then we can say we could grow to like Hazuki at the end. It'll impress the Onis and herself more so if we can show we're not your average human.
>> No. 145281
[] “I could get to like a woman like you.”

Oni and things other than direct, up-front behavior go together like water and pure elemental sodium. Let's not piss her off with tricks, and let's not take the "give up" option either.
>> No. 145290
[x] “I could get to like a woman like you.”
>> No. 145295
[X] “I could get to like a woman like you.”
Then get up and finish the fight.

He's smart enough to know when he's outmatched. I doubt he has any tricks that could help against anyone that can send him flying like that even when she's trying not to hurt him,
and he should have noticed that line about "underhanded tactics". So saying that he's got a trick to try might not the the best way to make friends with oni.

That said, of course he'll continue for a bit longer.
Otherwise the only thing their audience sees is Hazuki knocking him around like a sandbag.

I get the feeling that their current impression of him is "stupid enough to challenge an oni". Let's amend that to "and strong enough to put up a fight." A losing fight, but a fight nonetheless.
He has to at least throw a punch of his own before giving up admitting that oni really are that strong and going back inside to finish his drink.
>> No. 145296
Tie vote.
>> No. 145297
[X] "I could grow to like a woman like you."

Almost went for the trick vote but after reading what the other anons say... it just feels like the wrong choice.
>> No. 145298
Calling it here, writing now.
>> No. 145299
[X] "I could grow to like a woman like you."

Getting back onto your feet is a slow process. You have a lot of aches and scrapes from your little trip down the road, but nothing that can keep you out of a fight. Hazuki and Momiji remain close by as you stretch yourself out a little.

"I think I could really get to like a woman like you, Hazuki,” you say, flexing your left hand. Your entire arm is sore, but you can still use it. Hazuki looks confused for a moment, then adopts a confident grin.

"And you're not even piss drunk yet,” she quips, crossing her arms, “so, are you done now?”

“Not yet,” you reply, focusing your magic into your arms again, “Not until I have at least landed a punch in return.” You hear murmuring from the crowd after that, soon followed by cries that you should give up, leave the mountain, stop embarrassing yourself, and other derision. It only serves to harden your resolve. Hazuki herself looks happy though, as she walks back out in front of you. Momiji

"You've got some guts if you want to keep going after that,” she declares, “but I won't turn down a challenge.”

"That is something we share,” you state, raising your hands again. Hazuki adopts her stance again, and after a shared nod, she approaches with the same speed as before. You're faster this time, prepared for such speed, even if you can't truly hope to match it. You duck aside as she throws another punch, following through with a quick shuffle to the side and a step-in, throwing a punch of your own that is easily dodged. You were too slow, too much time before you made your attack, you'll need to be faster next time. You feint a step, and she responds by drawing back her right arm, but drops it when you back off. In turn, she steps forward, and you retreat one, leaving yourself outside of her reach.

You need to be careful about this, a single hit is enough to send you flying even despite a full guard. If you make a mistake and fail to protect yourself, there's no doubt that a single punch would end your life. You cannot make any risky moves, and you cannot waste any movements. You must be flawless, make a perfect attack without opening yourself up to counterattack. The tension of such a dire situation is something you haven't felt for such a long time, an uncomfortable knot in your gut almost alien to you in it's presence. This is what you wanted, this is what you were seeking, a true test of skill and strength against an opponent that completely outclasses you.

The next few moments feel like a haze, as Hazuki steps in again with a quick left jab. You lean aside and counter with your own right jab at her stomach, a blow deflected by her right arm with the force of a hammer. You don't draw back, but instead lunge forward in a low stance, feinting a straight at Hazuki's chest that she responds to, and you use the brief opening to catch her in the side of the ribs with a left hook. The impact feels like punching iron, and your entire arm pulses with pain, but you still landed the blow. She jumps back out of your reach, with a surprised grin on her face.

"You're pretty good,” she says, “you're not just a regular outsider, are you?”

"I'm no stranger to combat,” you respond, still cautious to watch her movements, until she drops her posture.

"I think that's enough for now though,” she says, and you drop your own stance. “We've exchanged blows, even despite the power discrepency,” she continues, rubbing the spot on her side you hit, “though I think I got off a little easy. I'd have been alright if you aimed for my face.”

"I wouldn't strike the face of a woman in a friendly duel,” you reply, with a satisfied grin. The rush of the few moments of battle is already beginning to fade, but your arms still tremble slightly.

"Just what were you in your world?” Hazuki asks, a question you weren't expecting. “You don't carry yourself like any other outsider I've seen, you use magic, good combat sense and just enough crazy to continue to challenge someone out of your league. You're not a typical everyman, are you?”

You've avoided revealing too many details about yourself until now, if only because you'd never been directly questioned on it. It might be to your benefit to reveal your true history, but it may yet be necessary to keep such information hidden.

[] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.
[] Claim to be a legendary warrior of your world, a man that sought war for profit.
[] Claim that your world is simply requires that one be skilled in combat to survive.

---

Feels good to get to sleep in for once in almost a week.

Also, I think I might need to come up with a name for MC, since I don't know if I can continue with the whole nameless thing for the entire story or at least until everyone starts calling him 'my Lord'. If anyone's got some suggestions, I'd like to hear them.
>> No. 145300
[x] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.
>> No. 145301
[x] Claim that your world is simply requires that one be skilled in combat to survive.

There`s a Sun Tsu quote for this, but I can`t be arsed to find it.
>> No. 145303
[x] Admit that you were a skilled warrior and leader of men in and out of battle.

Telling her that you were a legendary warrior and the king of almost an entire continent is likely to be seen as exaggerations or outright lies to grab attention (even if both are completely true), so let's just have some modesty and tone it down a bit.
We can always tell the whole story later.

It's easier to get people to accept that you lied by omission instead of expecting them to believe you when you tell someone you just met five minutes ago "Yeah, I was king of the known world, nobody could defeat me in battle and I pretty much did as I pleased to whatever and whoever I wanted."
>> No. 145304
[x] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.

Full disclosure, oni can sense deception.
>> No. 145305
[x] Claim that your world is simply requires that one be skilled in combat to survive.

>>145304

It isn't a lie, though.
>> No. 145307
[X] Claim that your world is simply requires that one be skilled in combat to survive.

>>145301
>There`s a Sun Tsu quote for this, but I can`t be arsed to find it.

Don't recall any but here's one I've always liked.

"Ignorance is bliss until it kills you." - Anonymous
>> No. 145310
[x] Claim that your world is simply requires that one be skilled in combat to survive.

Looking at the situation and how she dislikes many things, saying you were a king who conquered through the lands might not be the best thing to do. Besides, it is not really a lie.
>> No. 145314
[x] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.

Claiming about being a legendary warrior is just way too much boasting for myself and will probably lessen the opinions of others around us. Course holding back too much of the truth could make us out to be liars and/or deceitful once the truth is found out. This is a nice and happy balance.
>> No. 145320
[X] Claim that your world is simply requires that one be skilled in combat to survive.

This is probably the best. It is the truth, afterall.
>> No. 145323
[X] Claim that your world is simply requires that one be skilled in combat to survive.

No lies but no spilling the beans in front of a crowd of impressionable oni and tengu.
>> No. 145324
[X] Claim that your world is simply requires that one be skilled in combat to survive.
>> No. 145325
[x] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.
>> No. 145327
[x] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.
>> No. 145328
[x] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.

The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Sure, the "my world demanded it" option isn't technically a lie, but that doesn't stop it from being deceitful.
>> No. 145330
[x] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.

It's only fair.
>> No. 145331
[x] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.

Woo.
>> No. 145338
[X] Claim that your world is simply requires that one be skilled in combat to survive.
>> No. 145353
[] Claim to be a legendary warrior of your world, a man that sought war for profit.

Because it's true.
>> No. 145376
[x] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, who was forced to unite the lands to keep the peace.
>> No. 145395
File 131454209279.jpg - (245.75KB , 1215x717 , Tryndamere_King.jpg ) [iqdb]
145395
[x] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, who was forced to unite the lands to keep the peace.

His name? "Tryndamere".
>> No. 145403
[x] Claim that your world is simply requires that one be skilled in combat to survive.

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near."
- Sun Tzu

I know you guys want to be honest and all for the oni, but we can't go blabbing everything about everything all the time. As soon as we bring up the idea of us ruling anyone, it'll cause suspicion of any move we make in that direction.
>> No. 145407
>>145403
Yeah, clearly, because any outsider in Gensokyo who can land a blow on an oni isnt suspicious enough already.
>> No. 145411
>>145403
Who to say they would mind it if it brings peace?
>> No. 145427
>>145403
>"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near."

You're conflating your enemies with potential allies. Save the parroting The Art of War for the actual war, please.
>> No. 145438
>>145427
There's a crowd watching. A crowd full of tengu, who run newspapers. You're conflating potential allies with everyone who might hear gossip. If Hazuki was the only one around, it would probably be fine.
>> No. 145446
>>145438
>There's a crowd watching. A crowd full of tengu, who run newspapers. You're conflating potential allies with everyone who might hear gossip.

I don't think you grasp the point of this exercise.

You attract followers by word of deed, not by attempting to individually wrestle your constituents into submission.

Guy challenged an oni and survived. Moreover, he has half a dozen tengu rags to exaggerate and disseminate this fact. The publicity practically writes itself.
>> No. 145468
>>145446
>You attract followers by word of deed, not by attempting to individually wrestle your constituents into submission.
When did I ever say that? I'm talking about the perception of our motivations and goals. Once we start attracting followers, are the other powers in Gensokyo going to see us as a hero rising in popularity, or as a ruler rising in power?

Of course they'll catch on eventually, but why should we hint at our plans before we've even started? How many people might want to nip those plans in the bud?
>> No. 145537
Tied between [] Admit King and [] Combat to survive after deleting some obvious votespam.
>> No. 145538
[x] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.

Dont think I voted for this option, so might as well.
>> No. 145543
[X] Claim that your world is simply requires that one be skilled in combat to survive.
>> No. 145549
[X] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.
>> No. 145550
[X] Claim that your world is simply requires that one be skilled in combat to survive.

if that fails see [x] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, who was forced to unite the lands to keep the peace.
>> No. 145551
[X] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.

Sheesh we got a hell of a fight over this vote don't we? We should definitely tell the truth but I wouldn't boast about it at all. Just the facts ma'am.
>> No. 145557
[x] Claim that your world simply requires that one be skilled in combat to survive.

Heher heh.
>> No. 145561
[X] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.
>> No. 145571
[X] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.

'My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions!'
>> No. 145581
Alright, calling it here if only because I don't want to return to another tie vote.

>>145395

So tempted.
>> No. 145585
[] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.

Onis cares for truth man.
>> No. 145602
Sigh... Onis care for the truth yes. But that's really not gonna help the opinion everyone else has of us
>> No. 145610
>>145602

He needs to be seen for what he is: A pauper king now, yes. But a king. Not threatening (as yet) to the powerful, but now other men will hear of him. Men who have their own ambitions but are ill disposed to ever achieve them alone. Men of ability but poor fortune will see a chance appear in front of them.

And if some take offense? Yukari brought him into Gensokyo for a reason. I'm not sure what it is, but I imagine it probably involves creating conflict.
>> No. 145611
>>145610
>Yukari brought him into Gensokyo for a reason.

Was it really her? Yes, she shows up in the OP, but she could just be watching him for fun. Sometimes, Yukari isn't the culprit, as hard as that may sound.

Secondly, revealing his royal status might benefit him regarding the human population, but what about the Youkai factions? A human King, who is not easily squished by an oni, a human king, is not afraid of youkai, a human king, etc.

This might as well kill our chances of ruling over the youkai. We should become friends with them first, then seize power.

>>145581

You checked for spam, right? I think I may have voted twice, but I can't remember if I really did.
>> No. 145617
>>145611

There is one repeated IP voting twice, but without that there's still a lead this time.

Writing in a little bit.
>> No. 145622
>>145617
Ah, that was probably me. With all the voting I do and whatnot, I tend to forget where I post and where I dont.

>>145611
We cant choose both factions.
>> No. 145625
>>145622
>We cant choose both factions.

Uh, that's the thing. If we could choose between them, revealing Khanon's real identity might screw his chances of taking over the youkai faction.
>> No. 145628
>>145622
Says who? For all we know we can make a third action and bring the other two to heel.
>> No. 145640
>>145622
>We cant choose both factions.

You are thinking with the mind of the small man. The small man chooses to join a 'side', an already formed aggregate, for survival and the other things that might drive the small man--riches, family, loyalty. Even basic needs like shelter and food are more easily formed when you're part of a collective.

But that is not the attitude of a conqueror. For such men, in the world there is only what they already have, and what they have to come.

So he was a king of humans? That only proves he knows how to fight other humans. Really, he may be the expert on killing humans among them. The match, nay, his presence alone, having willingly walked into a lion's den, showing no cowardice or even alarm when told as much, it should be proof enough that he isn't the kind of regent who is content to hide behind high walls and levied masses.
>> No. 145646
>>145640
Except that only applies in a land where a man knows his enemies. Protip: This guy just got into a scrap with an oni, and he only got one hit at the cost of being punched halfway across the mountain. I've never heard of any human who can do that.
>> No. 145696
>>145646
>Protip: This guy just got into a scrap with an oni, and he only got one hit at the cost of being punched halfway across the mountain. I've never heard of any human who can do that.

That's the point. He knows how to make war on humans, not youkai. Youkai shouldn't have anything to fear at him admitting what he is.
>> No. 145762
>>145646
...And if you look at it another way: This man, by all accounts a mere human himself, not only took a blow from an oni without suffering any permanent damage but returned it as well. Surely that has won him some measure of respect.
>> No. 147109
File 131781391678.png - (18.17KB , 300x309 , Rage1.png ) [iqdb]
147109
Sorry for no updates, but things have been fucking shit for the last little while. Due to these dogs I'm in charge of, I don't get to do anything anymore. My laptop's keyboard is uncomfortable and garbage, almost every sentence has several missed keystrokes or typos since there's no comfortable way for me to actually type on it. This makes trying to write far harder than it needs to be. Of course the biggest obstacle is that I can hardly spare any time for anything because of the puppies.

I can't stand these fucking dogs. I hardly get to sleep through the night, I have to sleep on an uncomfortable as fuck couch every god damn night so that I can hear and respond to the dogs whines in the middle of every night. Of course all the responsibility falls to me, since my mom, the one that actually wanted the goddamn mutts, can't be fucked to ever take care of them when she's actually around. My entire days are spent trying to keep the dogs from chewing up the furniture, stopping them from chasing the cats (and subsequently getting their asses kicked by them), and of course cleaning up piss and shit off the floor because even after a month or so they fail to grasp any form of housebreaking.

It's pretty telling that my mom can't even put up with the puppies at their worst for 15 fucking minutes before she starts screaming at them, but yet it's totally fine and not stressing me the fuck out to be left in charge of them every fucking day, all day. I can't take any time to really relax because I have to keep track of these idiot animals or else they'll make a mess of shit and fuck things up. So if you're wondering why updates suddenly stopped without news, it's because of these fucking animals I have to put up with daily that I can't stand. Worst part is that not only is there no end to it in sight for the near future, I'm also rather pressed in trying to find a job at the same time in a city with no jobs.

Inb4 'not your blog'. Wouldn't be the first time no one fucking listens to me, that's why I'm taking care of dogs I hate in the first place. I'm about ready to just give the fuck up on them anyway.
>> No. 147121
>>147109

Jesus. Sorry to hear that, and you have my sympathy, for what it's worth.
>> No. 147132
>>147109
Hang in there, bud.
>> No. 147136
Forgot to mention earlier, thanks to sleep deprivation, what kicks off this rant in the first place is that the two dogs have been shitting blood for the last few days off and on. They'll loose a little blood one time, and then nothing for a day or two, then it happens again. Well, today they both have it and they've been really sluggish, so I also have the added pressure of potential medical problems, and so I'm on watch in case something starts to go really wrong (which I don't even know what to look for or do) until 4pm when we have an appointment at a vet.

I wonder if it would have been better off if we'd have decided to have the dogs upstairs as was suggested before we got them. I wonder if that'd still be a viable option...
>> No. 147154
At the very least it's better than simply disappearing without anything more than a simple explanation. That aside, you're not known to make it a point to make EVERY OTHER POST on railing against anon so quickly.

Plus the issue in regards to puppies that are driving you nuts along side shit hardware as well as a job hunt are perfectly understandable reasons for your absence.

There's a difference between that and those that blog/stop because they hate/lament on their readers.

Entirely different.

Best of luck to you.
>> No. 147168
So, one of the dogs was just having a reaction to a change in their food, but the other one's test results aren't coming back until tomorrow, which is obviously a fun wait. Bloody diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite? I'm not a vet, but I have the internet, Google and pessimism, so I'm expecting to hear that the second one has Parvo. Now, I might not be too fond of the dogs for what they're doing to my personal life, but I know how much my mom loves them, and I would still be hurt if one of them died.

On one hand, I'm really wishing that it's not that bad and that it's something else, but on the other hand, this particular dog is the 'extra' one that we got. The original plan was to only get one dog, but my mom, deciding that my opinion that one puppy alone would be a hassle, decided to get a second one from the same litter. And now it's potentially got a life threatening disease. If my mom had stuck to the original plan (that I didn't fully agree with but was at least willing to help), I wouldn't be sitting here equally stressed and concerned that one of the dogs might be dying while the other refuses to stay in the cage no matter how many times he falls asleep on the floor. I have literally half an hour before I hit the point I absolutely have to go to bed to get even the bare minimum of sleep I require to function normally AND not feel like shit all day. Of course the puppies aren't going to go to sleep any time soon.
>> No. 147170
>>147168
You seriously only have two puppies and are whining this much? Jesus fuck, stop being a horrible trainer and handle them properly.
>> No. 147177
File 131787602638.jpg - (496.44KB , 1500x1450 , no_regrets.jpg ) [iqdb]
147177
>>147170

It could be that he was only prepared for one puppy and the extra with possibly compounded issues sent all preparations out the window. The other problems just frill around the puppy situation.

That said, after years back swearing up and down that I'd only ever would have a dog, today I find myself surprisingly a happy cat owner. Never mind the daily battles of getting her off the damn bed when I want in or her constantly eyeballing any sandwich involving cheese and ham then stubbornly follow me till I gave some small bits of said sandwich. So long as she chases/possibly kill away any would be pests that managed to get inside is good enough for me.
>> No. 147196
>>147177

>It could be that he was only prepared for one puppy and the extra with possibly compounded issues sent all preparations out the window.

This. I was begrudgingly accepting the idea of one dog, so long as I got to choose which one we got, since if I was going to be the one raising it, I'd want it to be a dog I liked the look of. Instead, my mom gets another one, the surviving runt of the litter along with the one I wanted.

The problems here are doubled. I have to split my attention in two directions, and I can't see the entire floor where we have them corralled from the only real vantage point, requiring me to have to keep tabs on the location of both dogs at almost all times. If I can't see one, I get up to look for them, and they're either shitting/pissing on the floor, trying to eat the cotton-whatever off the bottom of the chairs, or chewing on the wood/drywall at the base of the stairs.

Compounding the issues is that I have two cats, 6 and 5 years old, and the older of the two is a dominant female with an aggressive attitude. It used to be a problem with the puppies trying to chase her, but they've learned not to after she's swatted them a few times. Now she'll go out of her way to attack them on occasion, so I have the lurking threat of my bitch cat coming out of nowhere to try to pounce one of the dogs at the same time I have to keep them in sight.

Should be noted as well, the dogs are Yorkie Poos, so they're a small breed as well as fairly renowned for being a bit hard to properly train at times. So there's that contributing to why I'm having such a hard time keeping them from going on the floor. Lose sight of them for even 20 seconds, there's a chance they're going to be going on the floor somewhere. If I don't catch them, I can't properly scold them, and that delays/sets back training attempts. I have made some progress at the least, they tend to mess closer and closer to the front door now.
>> No. 147203
>>147196
Oh man... that doesn't surprise me at all. I mean teh whole part about your mother picking a dog breed that's cute but difficult to raise.
>> No. 147295
>>147196
Thus once more proving my theory that the littler dogs are the absolute worst.
>> No. 147307
>>147295

I don't know. I have a small dog, and we've had little trouble with it besides the initial housebreaking.
>> No. 147329
File 131818892411.jpg - (142.20KB , 800x600 , cairn_terrier_dogs.jpg ) [iqdb]
147329
>>147295
OBJECTION
>> No. 147733
>>147196

Kill animals, have feast.
>> No. 147734
>>147733

Y U NO SAGE POST
>> No. 148514
[X] Admit you were a King, a ruler of men, uniting the lands through warfare.

You feel you can't avoid the topic anymore. Hazuki's more or less called your bluff, and even if you played it off you don't doubt that she would still have her suspicions. On the plus side though, admitting your true origins might help your cause. Given your intent to find allies among the mountain youkai who are troubled by your kind, proclaiming yourself a human king might get you some additional interest. You take in a breath to puff yourself up slightly before making your claim.

"The world I come from, I was a King. A ruler of men who earned his place through politics and war,” you declare, eliciting a few murmurs from the crowd, as well as a smirk from Hazuki. “I, probably more than other humans, am quite aware of the issues that face your people in this unstable peace.”

"If that's so, then wouldn't it be important for you to get back to your people?” Momiji asks. You shake your head firmly.

"There is no point, my rule is over. The would-be assassin that transported me here made it clear that my entire seat of power had been undermined,” you state, “I have no people to return to.”

"Sounds like you were pretty popular,” Hazuki quips sarcastically, hands on her hips. “So what are you going to do now? Stay here in Gensokyo?”

"Most likely,” you respond, as the crowd begins to disperse, the show over. “I am quite interested in this world of yours as it were, I wouldn't mind spending some more time here.”

"Well, any time you want a drink, you're welcome at my place,” Hazuki replies, “I'll even give you a Royalty discount,” she muses. You smirk in return. “I've got to get back to work though, I wouldn't put it past the regulars to crack open a few reserve casks on their own while I was out.” At that, she turns and heads back towards her tavern, leaving you with Momiji and a few straggling youkai hanging around the area.

"So you were a warlord?” Momiji asks. You nod in confirmation.

"Indeed I was,” you say.

"Are the people of your world as strong as you are?” she asks next.

"Not often. I've fought hard to reach where I am, and I still have much more I could do to strengthen myself. However, I've not had a true challenge among men for many years now,” you say, looking back towards Hazuki's tavern. “While my life as a king is over, being here in this land is more than worth it. I'm no longer the strongest in the land, and even the women seem to be at or even above my strength.”

"Just don't go picking fights at random to please yourself,” Momiji cautions.

"Of course, so long as I have control of when fights start,” you say, “though I won't show restraint if I'm attacked by a random youkai in the wild.”

"That's another thing I should probably tell you,” Momiji says, “there's a system in place that would make it a little easier on you to battle youkai without tempting a larger conflict.”

"Is that right?” you ask.

"The Spellcard system is a sort of universally observed rule that allows duels of power between humans and youkai, meant to give the humans a more equal chance of combating youkai. A human that challenges a youkai to a Spellcard duel is supposed to be left unharmed should they win or lose a declared duel,” she explains.

"You say 'supposed',” you point out, and Momiji nods.

"That's the root of much of the tensions. Some younger or particularly violent youkai started disregarding the system, cheating duels or simply attacking humans physically in the event they lose. In retaliation, humans have abandoned the system as well and begun to actively hunt and attack youkai. Often with ambushes and traps rather than direct confrontation, making it even more difficult to track down precisely who is responsible for the attacks, made worse by the humans being unwilling to out whoever is behind them. Innocent or even outright helpful youkai are sometimes caught and attacked all the same, which only makes matters worse,” Momiji continues to explain.

"Both sides continue to escalate because of it,” you reason, “youkai lashing out against anonymous attackers, and humans attacking all youkai without bias. Quite a troubling situation.” You pause for a moment to survey the sky. It's nearing midday, you've been gone for some time now. You'd hoped to do a little more looking around to familiarize yourself with your surroundings a bit more. You feel that you might have seen everything there is to see in Momiji's village, though you're still curious about the residents towards the summit.

"Something wrong?” Momiji asks.

"Not really,” you reply.

[] “Is there anything more to your village to see?”
[] “I was wondering how long it would take to reach the peak, I wish to visit the shrine.”
[] “Could I get an escort off the mountain? I wish to return to my camp and explore in another direction.”

---

So I've pretty much got these dogs worked out now. Still some housebreaking work to do and some more training, but they're much easier to handle now. Wake them up at 6am, let them out for 30 minutes, eat, play around for an hour or two, then it's back in their crate until noon-1pm provided they don't start yipping earlier. Another hour or two out of the cage for food, training and play, then my mom gets home and watches them for the rest of the evening.

This means I get more time to myself now and don't have to spend all my time stressing over them, and I can actually take the time to start updating again. While I can't promise daily updates right away, I'm going to update at least once a week. I am still trying to find a job as pointless as that is during the holiday season, when everything is just temp placements and I'll probably be let go come the New Year.
>> No. 148517
[x] “I was wondering how long it would take to reach the peak, I wish to visit the shrine.”
[x] Ask if she could accompany you.

Momiji sure grew on me. Keeping her around for longer would certainly be better than to wander around alone.



>I am still trying to find a job
Oh how i know your pain. The world is a cruel cruel place and no one wants to hire.
>> No. 148521
[] “I was wondering how long it would take to reach the peak, I wish to visit the shrine.”
>> No. 148523
>Wake them up at 6am, let them out for 30 minutes, eat, play around for an hour or two, then it's back in their crate until noon-1pm provided they don't start yipping earlier. Another hour or two out of the cage for food, training and play, then my mom gets home and watches them for the rest of the evening.

That's still 4h30m, approximatly. Man, I would hate being in your place.

Anyway, happy to see you're still alive man. Hope things get better for you soon, without taking away your precious writing time, of course~

[x] “I was wondering how long it would take to reach the peak, I wish to visit the shrine.”

Time to meet some of Humanity's greatest figures. Or are they Youkai's? Hmm...
>> No. 148526
[X] “I was wondering how long it would take to reach the peak, I wish to visit the shrine.”
-[x] [x] Ask if she could accompany you.

The trip up could be introspective if Momiji doesn't come along, though I bet he's had enough time for that as it is.
>> No. 148531
>That's still 4h30m, approximatly. Man, I would hate being in your place.

Well, to be fair, I'm getting $50 a month as a thank you for spending the time and effort (and some slight suffering) to care for and train the dogs. Plus, in the last month or so I've come to actually love the dogs rather than despise them. I just love to have some personal time during the day too.
>> No. 148536
>>148531
>Well, to be fair, I'm getting $50 a month as a thank you for spending the time and effort (and some slight suffering) to care for and train the dogs.

Man, that's slavery. I bet you spend more than that with the dogs.

However, if you started to enjoy the pups, then I guess it's fine.
>> No. 148540
>>148536

I don't spend anything. My mom handles all their related costs, but I'm the one getting up with them at 6 and keeping them quiet and out of the way while she gets ready for work, then takes care of their needs and training every day. It's straight profit when technically I shouldn't even be expecting to be getting anything out of it.
>> No. 148546
[x] “I was wondering how long it would take to reach the peak, I wish to visit the shrine.”
[x] Ask if she could accompany you.

Momiji makes for nice company and it'd make it easier to get back if needed.
>> No. 148556
[X] “I was wondering how long it would take to reach the peak, I wish to visit the shrine.”

Let's meet the local war goddess, shall we?