[Return]
Archived Thread

File 130670445665.jpg - (1.50MB , 750x1500 , 2f21921a14232f34de2bcc3ed7a95360.jpg ) [iqdb]
141585 No. 141585
A deep breath through the nose fills your lungs with air and your mind with the smells of the forest around you. In the distance, you can hear the chirping of recently awoken birds, broken only once or twice an hour by the roaring of the various beasts that inhabit these lands.

A ray of morning sunshine pierces its way through the shady leaves above, the final straw in bringing you to fully awaken. You open your eyes and take in the surroundings, to the left, right and all other directions there are trees hundreds upon hundreds of them. Their amber and orange leaves stretch on for miles. Forming a literal ocean of autumn color all about you. No matter how many times you've seen this sort of a sight, whether you were in Gensokyo, Africa, Europe or the Americas it never cease to be breathtaking. You can only hope that such things never begin to bore you, as compared to this splendor, what else could possibly bring as much amazement?


You are of course exactly where you were the night before, over thirty feet above the ground on the branch of a tree, leaning back against the trunk of that very same tree. It's one of the taller ones you've ever seen, there's still at least ten feet more above you...and like all the others it has nearly all of its leaves turned that wonderful autumn color.

Yet more captivating than the forest itself is your target for this journey: the mountains surrounding Gensokyo, and the ever shimmering barrier which stands atop them. According to legend, one of the oldest Youkai in the land makes her home somewhere within that barrier, and if you want to get out of here before the winter sets in and traps you for the rest of the year, she's the one to see.

It's such a shame that the only reason you're able to enjoy this lovely sight is because...well, you don't really have a choice. Do you?
Or, maybe you do...it all depends on the odds, your wits, and a heaping helping of blind optimistic courage.

You push yourself up, carefully balancing against the trunk as you rise to your feet. You grip one edge of the tree as you lean over the other side, getting a look at the ground far below.

At the base of the tree the same three creatures, some sort of large cat of a species you've yet to see await. From what you can tell they're asleep for now, but getting down without waking them up might be next to impossible.

Snapping off a small piece of bark from the tree, you drop it to the ground below. Upon impact one of the beasts immediately stirs from it's slumber and roars in the direction it landed. Though they rest, at least one is entirely alert.

So, yes. Climbing down will not be happening anytime soon. This, like many things recently is a severe problem.
What other options are available, though? Off the top of your head your backpack contains several useful items. Trinkets, tools and weapons gathered throughout your travels. Though many have proven useless against the more supernatural natives, some may yet aid you in this situation.

For starters, you have the flare gun and three flares that Tengu, Shameimaru Aya had given you. Though she'd told you it was strictly for alerting her should you witness an interesting event, but she probably won't mind saving your life if you give her something in return.

Then, of course, your assortment of ropes. Almost all capped with a ring allowing them to easily be attached to the grappling hook attached to your arm. These can make climbing even the most insurmountable of obstacles childs play...though using it in this situation may just leave you in the same situation, but on a different tree.

The rest of your inventory is taken up by the neccesities of travel. Provisions, tools, you have some knives that could be useful in a pinch, but its unlikely you'll be able to properly defend yourself for too long if you rely on it.

Most everything else, including your spare clothes and actual weapons are back at camp, Even if you make it along the trees to avoid the beasts below, you'll have to go down eventually to retrieve your belongings. Or else take the risk of leaving it all behind.

With a glance below you confirm the creatures have all returned to resting. If you're to make a choice, it should probably be now.

[] Fire the flare (-1 Flare for each)
-[] Down at the creatures, make a break for it if they're sufficiently distracted
-[] Up into the sky, lets call for some help.
[] Toss some food down at them

Assuming you want to try and leave immediately, you'll need to choose a path.

-[] Get to ground and run for it
-[] Make your escape along the trees

But perhaps more important than how you get down would be where you go.

[] Make your way back to camp, reassess things from there

[] Heading back would be pointless, it's best to head immediately
-[] Toward the mountain range, to begin the search for Yakumo Yukari.
-[] Abandon the journey for the time being, we're barely past the halfway point and it's already gone straight to hell.

>> No. 141586
File 130670621298.jpg - (12.54KB , 480x360 , Ourhero.jpg ) [iqdb]
141586
[x] Fire the flare (-1 Flare for each)
-[x] Down at the creatures, make a break for it if they're sufficiently distracted
-[x] Get to ground and run for it
[x] Make your way back to camp, reassess things from there

We aren't going to be cowed by some punkass cat-youkai things. We have a plan and places to go, things to see. First thing first though, we need to go get our stuff.
>> No. 141588
-[x] Toss some food down at them
-[x] Make your escape along the trees
-[x] Abandon the journey for the time being, we're barely past the halfway point and it's already gone straight to hell.

Like she's going to just let us out. It's best to face up to narrative causality and cut our losses.
>> No. 141589
You need a proofreader, or a better proofreader.
>> No. 141590
[x] Toss some food down at them
-[x] Make your escape along the trees
[x] Make your way back to camp, reassess things from there

Hopefully things will work out.
>> No. 141591
>>141589
Anything in particular you feel like pointing out?
>> No. 141594
[x] Toss some food down at them
-[x] Make your escape along the trees
[x] Make your way back to camp, reassess things from there
>> No. 141595
>>141591
Nothing big, just lots of little mistakes that add up.

>there are trees hundreds
Missing a comma.

>it never cease to be breathtaking.
Ceases

>weapons are back at camp, Even if you make it
Random capitalization.

Plus a number of just plain awkward sentences.
>This, like many things recently is a severe problem.
>above, the final straw in bringing you to fully awaken.
etc. etc.
>> No. 141596
>>141595
Argh! I knew I shoulda sent it back around after I'd done some revision.
Most of that is from me forgetting to reedit the grammar of a sentence after I've removed or altered a portion. A good example is


>You can only hope it will never cease to be breathtaking.
Was then altered into the two sentences it is now.
>> No. 141599
Karesh! You're back! FANTASTIC!

I see you've put poor Raziel on the bench for now. Disappointing, but no matter. Let's see what we can do here...

[X] Heading back would be pointless, it's best to head immediately
-[X] Toward the mountain range, to begin the search for Yakumo Yukari.

Our quest will take us far. The particulars of how, I'll leave to others, but our direction is clear. We'd be a poor hero if the first obstacle made us quit.
>> No. 141600
[X] Heading back would be pointless, it's best to head immediately
-[X] Toward the mountain range, to begin the search for Yakumo Yukari.
>> No. 141601
>>141599
Actually, I'm working on that update right now.
Hopefully I'll have it finished by tomorrow.
>> No. 141833
File 130706628342.jpg - (581.99KB , 1000x555 , dd3c0985ed0c75fd6f1f5283c83ea4bb.jpg ) [iqdb]
141833
[x] Toss some food down at them
-[x] Make your escape along the trees
[x] Make your way back to camp, reassess things from there

In terms of importance, your goals are obvious. One way or another you need to get out of this tree, and whether you choose to return to the more populated areas of Gensokyo or continue toward the mountains you'll need the supplies at your camp.

A simple diversion should allow you to get out of their line of sight, and so long as you stay above ground you'll be able to avoid them entirely. The only issue may be if they're smart enough to discern your intent and intercept you once you climb down...still, to dwell on that would be pointless. If they're that smart you'll probably never get away no matter what you do.

You remove one of the packs along your belt, it's filled with sealed bits and pieces of meat for just such a situation. Once you've thrown it, the noise from the impact and the smell from the meat should draw the beasts off.

Before you can do that however, you'll need to secure an escape route. You attach a rope to your grappling hook and launch it toward a smaller tree nearby. Once the hook is secured, you fasten the rope around the trunk of your tree and wait.

Looking down, it seems like the alert creature stirred from the noise of your hook, however it isn't glaring in your direction, so perhaps it hasn't noticed where precisely the noise came from.You'll most likely be better off looping around for the camp, rather than making a direct line toward it, as if the creatures do attempt to follow, leading them right back to your supplies would not be a good idea.


You slice the pack of meat open and reseal it within the pouch, which you then spin in the air as if it were a sling. As it builds a bit of momentum you choose a target. The first priority is to ensure the meat lands opposite of the direction you intend to run, then of course you need to try and find some gap in the foliage to get the bait somewhere the beasts will track it...

Your target is sighted, and better still it's just barely within your throwing range. As far as it could possibly be. You lob the pouch into the air, and watch with baited breath as it soars into the sky, then descends back to Earth.

The throw is entirely a success, it lands near exactly on target, and a quick glance downward reveals the beasts have already begun following the noise. It will be a moment before they get close enough for the smell to hit them, at which point they'll probably find it almost immediately. With this in mind, you hurry the hell up before they catch wind of what's going on.

Thankfully you have a few spare hooks and a length of rope. With these it takes only a moment for you to rig up a crude zip-line, which you then attach to your belt.

Once you've made it to the trees it will be a long, boring trip climbing through their branches to circle around and make your way back to camp. But it's well worth it.
At least, you hope it will be worth it.

____________________


There's a dull thud underneath your feet as you impact the Earth once again. It's been at least twelve hours since you climbed into a tree as you fled the beasts. All in all, it had been an interesting third day in the forest, even before you'd stumbled across a trio of monsters eager to devour you.

It had been such a stupid mistake, too. After Reimu had gone through all the trouble of providing you with a barrier you could conveniently carry and deploy around camp, you'd gone and left it!

No, no...silver lining. Silver lining. The barrier remained at the camp during the time you were gone, so everything is more or less how you left it. A simple white tent, enough supplies to keep you going in the event you couldn't find enough food out here...it was a pain to carry it all, but more than once preparedness on this level had been well worth the effort.

A shimmer of light as you step closer to your camp proves the barrier is still functioning, which means you can relax a bit. First and foremost, you should satiate your hunger. You grab an apple from inside your tent and chomp down as you begin contemplating your next move.

[] Take an inventory, just to make sure nothing is missing.
[] Get some rest.
[] Forget that! You're going to need to get moving immediately.

____________________


[] Continue toward the mountain
[] Head back toward
-[] The human village
-[] Youkai Mountain
-[] ?
>> No. 141834
[x] Take an inventory, just to make sure nothing is missing.
[x] Head back toward
-[x] ?

We don't appear to have any pressing need to leave this place beyond wanderlust, and there's wandering to do right here. The Great Unknown! Let's get after it!
>> No. 141836
[x] Take an inventory, just to make sure nothing is missing.
[x] Get some rest.

I think afterwards the MC should try heading towards the shrine, after all doesn't Reimu send people back outside? With the right... 'persuasion', I'm sure she'd send him outside.
>> No. 141837
>>141834
I don't actually have anything planned for '?', it's more a fill in the blank option.
I guess if you want to though ? will be writefags choice for a direction.
>> No. 141853
>>141837
I'd like that, yes. Surprises!
>> No. 141859
[x] Take an inventory, just to make sure nothing is missing.

[x] Head back toward
-[x] Youkai Mountain