[Return]
Archived Thread

File 13020493267.jpg - (860.67KB , 900x1200 , 900b5fe6f5fb73794be8907f34dfe53d7e1f9d03.jpg ) [iqdb]
139185 No. 139185
Time to try something a little new, I guess. Pic unrelated.

--------

There was nothing.

And then, with a spark of suddenness, there was something. Eyes opened.

They considered themself. Who were they?

[ ] Male
[ ] Female
[ } Other

On a rating of one to ten, your attributes:

[ ]Power: Pure power, the direct physical force that can be applied to a situation.
[ ]Agility: Speed and reflexes, on a rating from clutz to Ninja.
[ ]Magic: Innate magical ability
[ ]Perception: Ability to notice things
[ ]Intelligence: Brain power, how smart you are
[ ]Luck: A measurement of how often simple chance and coincidence turns to your favor.
[ ]Charisma: Social skills, personal magnetism, and a number of things count for this.

30 points may be alloted between these, and no attribute may start at ten or zero.


Major Powers (pick one)

[ ] Animate/control the dead(Limited)- Once per day, you may compel a corpse, should you run across one, to affect a semblance of life. This body will function as though it were alive, though it will be under a weak compulsion not to harm you, and to obey your orders. Beings that were strong-willed in life, however, would have little difficulty in throwing off this compulsion should they feel driven to do so. They will remain a brief time, enough to assist with one action, participate briefly in a scuffle, or answer three questions to the best of their knowledge. This ability might be improvable.
[ } Danger sense(Constant)- You have an unusual knack for sensing when danger is about to strike, and can tell, briefly ahead of time, if something is about to attack you. It is very difficult for you to be assaulted directly, however this is by no means foolproof. Your ability seems to activate upon some combination of direct physical threat and hostility, more subtle means may avoid it outright. This ability cannot be improved.
[ ] Gravity control(Limited)- You can affect how gravity affects a small area, or a single being. You can reduce the effect of gravity to 75%, or increase them to 150%. This ability may be improvable.
[ ] Light generation/control(Limited)- You can, at will, create a brief flash, a spread glow to light the surrounding area, or a compact orb of light to guide your way in a fashion similar to a torch. This ability may be improvable.
[ ] Precognition(Limited)- Once per day, you can consider a course of action, and recieve a brief flash of insight as to the future, should you follow this course of action. This vision may be jumbled and confused, depending on other factors, and interpretation may be difficult. This ability may not be improved.
[ ] Speed-Reading(Constant)- The written word is as easily taken in by you as water, or air. You can read and comprehend a page of information with no more than a glance across it, and what others might take hours to finish, you can complete in a matter of minutes. Provided, of course, that you can comprehend the language written at all. This ability may not be improved.

[ ]Hair Color:___
[ ]Eye Color:___
[ }Name:___

(Or if you don't feel like putting in effort...)

[ ]Random Selection.

>> No. 139186
[ ] Maid (It's the new gender)

[7]Power: Pure power, the direct physical force that can be applied to a situation.
[2]Agility: Speed and reflexes, on a rating from clutz to Ninja.
[5]Magic: Innate magical ability
[4]Perception: Ability to notice things
[4]Intelligence: Brain power, how smart you are
[3]Luck: A measurement of how often simple chance and coincidence turns to your favor.
[5]Charisma: Social skills, personal magnetism, and a number of things count for this.


[ ] Gravity control(Limited)- You can affect how gravity affects a small area, or a single being. You can reduce the effect of gravity to 75%, or increase them to 150%. This ability may be improvable.

Let's where this goes.
>> No. 139187
[x] Female

[x]Power: 1
[x]Agility: 1
[x]Magic: 1
[x]Perception: 9
[x]Intelligence: 8
[x]Luck: 9
[x]Charisma: 1

[x] Danger sense(Constant)

I'm torn between my love of min-maxing and my hatred of "define my protagonist" posts. There's no way this will win, in any case.
>> No. 139188
[x]Charisma: 1
I don't care about anything else.
>> No. 139189
[x] Female

[1]Power: Pure power, the direct physical force that can be applied to a situation.
[4]Agility: Speed and reflexes, on a rating from clutz to Ninja.
[4]Magic: Innate magical ability
[3]Perception: Ability to notice things
[6]Intelligence: Brain power, how smart you are
[5]Luck: A measurement of how often simple chance and coincidence turns to your favor.
[7]Charisma: Social skills, personal magnetism, and a number of things count for this.

[x] Animate/control the dead(Limited)- Once per day, you may compel a corpse, should you run across one, to affect a semblance of life. This body will function as though it were alive, though it will be under a weak compulsion not to harm you, and to obey your orders. Beings that were strong-willed in life, however, would have little difficulty in throwing off this compulsion should they feel driven to do so. They will remain a brief time, enough to assist with one action, participate briefly in a scuffle, or answer three questions to the best of their knowledge. This ability might be improvable.
>> No. 139190
Well, at first, I raged, I'll admit. Something about a 'define your character!' opening really bothers me.

But I'll give this a chance.

[x] Other



[4]Power
[2]Agility
[6]Magic
[7]Perception
[3]Intelligence
[7]Luck
[1]Charisma

[x] Light Control

And a sincere good luck.
>> No. 139191
[x]Male
[X]Power: 4
[x]Agility: 4
[x]Magic: 4
[x]Perception: 5
[x]Intelligence: 4
[x]Luck: 4
[x]Charisma: 5
[x] Gravity control(Limited)- You can affect how gravity affects a small area, or a single being. You can reduce the effect of gravity to 75%, or increase them to 150%. This ability may be improvable.

gravity control sounds interesting and useful enough.
>> No. 139193
[X] Other
Power: 6
Agility: 6
Magic: 1
Perception: 9
Intelligence: 6
Luck: 1
Charisma: 1
[X] Precognition(Limited)

I can see them, as they scurry through the dark. I can hear them, crawling through the dirt. I can feel the air move to fill their wake. It's all right there, but who would notice it?

None but I.

More often than not, reactions are to reactions themselves. When you recognize the beginnings of every outcome, no blow can land. No curse can bind, no person cannot be understood. Minute motions of the hand can toss the dice and get the desired roll every time.

Perception is everything. That, and nothing more.
>> No. 139196
[x] Female Youkai
[x] Hair color: Blue
[x] Eye color: Red
[x] Name: Tabuki "Tabby" Vivipary

[x] Power: 5
[x] Agility: 5
[x] Magic: 4
[x] Perception: 3
[x] Intelligence: 5
[x] Luck: 3
[x] Charisma: 5

[x] Danger Sense (Constant)


Intelligent, physically fit, magically capable and charming.

The special power will offset perception and possibly luck.
>> No. 139199
[x]Male
[X]Power: 2
[x]Agility: 2
[x]Magic: 7
[x]Perception: 4
[x]Intelligence: 7
[x]Luck: 1
[x]Charisma: 7

[x] Animate/control the dead(Limited)- Once per day, you may compel a corpse, should you run across one, to affect a semblance of life. This body will function as though it were alive, though it will be under a weak compulsion not to harm you, and to obey your orders. Beings that were strong-willed in life, however, would have little difficulty in throwing off this compulsion should they feel driven to do so. They will remain a brief time, enough to assist with one action, participate briefly in a scuffle, or answer three questions to the best of their knowledge. This ability might be improvable.

Am I the only one who wishes to be a necromancer?
>> No. 139200
[x] Female

[7] Power
[7] Agility
[1] Magic
[4] Perception
[1] Intelligence
[9] Luck
[1] Charisma

[x] Gravity control(Limited)- You can affect how gravity affects a small area, or a single being. You can reduce the effect of gravity to 75%, or increase them to 150%. This ability may be improvable.

Luck is everything.
>> No. 139211
oh snap! I loved fairy maid in Gensokyo

[X]Female

[x]Power: 2
[x]Agility: 7
[x]Magic: 8
[x]Perception: 2
[x]Intelligence: 4
[x]Luck: 1
[x]Charisma: 6

[X] Danger sense(Constant)

[X]hair color: periwinkle
[X]eye color: changes depending on mood
[X]name: doesent matter

>>139200
>ogre in gensokyo?
>> No. 139213
As a protip, character creation typically doesn't fly very far here. Unless you intend on having a very DnD-like system with your CYOA (at which point I have to ask if you're really at the right place) then it's better to develop the protag as you go along, sort of like how a visual novel works.

>>139187
>min-maxing
I love you.
>> No. 139223
[x] Female

[1] Power
[3] Agility
[1] Magic
[9] Perception
[4] Intelligence
[3] Luck
[9] Charisma

[x] Gravity control(Limited)- You can affect how gravity affects a small area, or a single being. You can reduce the effect of gravity to 75%, or increase them to 150%. This ability may be improvable.
>> No. 139224
>>139213

nah. fairy maid in gensokyo had the same character creation type thing goin on and it was a very fun story to read/vote on.

although I have to admit, the only reason the above statement is true is because FMiG was a lighthearted comedy/romance.

A agree that this site isn't the place for hardcore type DnD roleplay, or anything really that uses stats like these in actual serious/combat situations.
>> No. 139225
[x]Power: 7-1-1-4-4-6-5-4-2-7-2-1
[x]Agility: 2-1-4-2-4-6-5-4-2-7-7-3
[x]Magic: 5-1-4-6-4-1-4-4-7-1-8-1
[x]Perception: 4-9-3-7-5-9-3-5-4-4-2-9
[x]Intelligence: 4-8-6-3-4-6-5-4-7-1-4-4
[x]Luck: 3-9-5-7-4-1-3-4-1-9-1-3
[x]Charisma: 5-1-7-1-5-1-5-5-7-1-6-9


Gravity- IIII_
Danger- III
Animate-II
Light-I
Precog-I

Male-III
Female-IIII_I
Maid-I
Other-II

Hair
Periwinkle-I
Blue-I

Eye
Red-I
Variable-I

Name
Tabuki "Tabby" Vivipary-I

---

Hm, looking like a very average girl. No really outstanding capabilities, but then no clear weaknesses either. She should perform about the same no matter what she tries. Well, I'll leave this going for a while before I call it, see if any new votes shift things around.
>> No. 139226
>>139225

gah! jesus christ people start picking some min/max type things. don't want a protag with a solid 5 across the board
>> No. 139227
I guess averaging them is fair in the pissing everyone off sense.
>> No. 139228
Rather, the only set with more than one vote for it is:

[X]Power: 4
[x]Agility: 4
[x]Magic: 4
[x]Perception: 5
[x]Intelligence: 4
[x]Luck: 4
[x]Charisma: 5

Geeze, it would have been clearer, except it seems I fucked up the formatting on tally-post. Eh.
>> No. 139230
>>139227

is there any alternative? nobody seems to be voting for other people's protag

[spoiler] and if they do, its prolly samefag/votespam
>> No. 139231
[1] Power
[9] Agility
[9] Magic
[1] Perception
[9] Intelligence
[1] Luck
[1] Charisma
revotan
>> No. 139238
File 130210679454.jpg - (81.41KB , 300x387 , cirno_laser_small_2.jpg ) [iqdb]
139238
1- Didn't mention your post, so I don't know which vote to replace.

2- 30 =/= 31.
>> No. 139243
>>139238
1-I deleted my previous post. There's no reason not to.
2-I fail at basic math. Take one from Agility, please.
>> No. 139253
>>139225
>Eye
>Variable
Hey there Alice and/or Mary Sue.

Periwinkle and blue are so close, and a variable eye-color will eventually turn red. Being the guy who went for the other two colors, I can say I have no problem with giving up my color choices to you.

Of course, if someone else wants to go for my choice, I won't renege. Majority > Compromise.
>> No. 139256
>>139211
here

forget the eye color changing thing. It does sound kinda silly now that I think about it, since unless you're in front of a mirror, it's not gunna matter anyway
>> No. 139281
[1] Power
[8] Agility
[9] Magic
[1] Perception
[9] Intelligence
[1] Luck
[1] Charisma

[ ] Gravity control(Limited)- You can affect how gravity affects a small area, or a single being. You can reduce the effect of gravity to 75%, or increase them to 150%. This ability may be improvable.

Revotin(deleted old post)
>> No. 139285
I really think you should make all the abilities at least somewhat improvable. nobody wants to vote for a stale, unchanging ability
>> No. 139328
File 130221923383.jpg - (558.84KB , 1024x768 , e359112ab0ad11b6180281b874fda33e363b3e94.jpg ) [iqdb]
139328
Tabuki "Tabby" Vivipary

Female, blue-ey hair, red eyes.

Gravity control.

[1] Power
[8] Agility
[9] Magic
[1] Perception
[9] Intelligence
[1] Luck
[1] Charisma

---

Calling this, will start writing soonish. Weak, easily distracted and doesn't catch on easily to stuff, bad luck, and perpertually shattered charisma, counterbalanced by incredible brains and magical aptitude, and almost as good get-out of the way and hiding skill... Hm, kind of like a blend of Remilia and Patchouli, except almost whenever she opens her mouth a stream of deliberately offensive vulgarity spews out, and everyone else's urge to crush her rises.. Eh, I guess I can work with that.

Also, I disagree. The unimprovable abilities were already kinda overpowered, and I just couldn't figure out a way to make the spider-sense thing have any potential improvements at all. One thing I do find interesting though? Even with both of the relevant scores maxed, not one person picked the most broken-ly useful ability I threw up there. Very interesting~

Other stuff, die rolls will work about as you expect, when an option involves a stat heavily. Roll your score or below, and you succeed, higher and you fail, roll a ten and it's autofail. There may be options where you roll twice, on different stats, and that'll be handled one of two ways. You'll either have to make both rolls to succeed, or your result depends on which rolls were successful. Second case, either roll will get you something, but best result only comes with both, and you only fail if you screw up both. Also, I'll consider write-ins, so long as a case can be made for them, but I reserve the right to test your plan against a relevant skill roll, and if things get particularly complex, you might need multiple rolls to pull it off. Don't worry about it too much, though.

Anyway, this should be fun. I'll just leave you all to chat while I prepare.
>> No. 139330
>>139328
But speed reading is so booooooring...
>> No. 139331
>>139328
I've got no problem with you rolling dice, but could you never mention it again? Thanks.
>> No. 139332
>>139328
>not one person picked the most broken-ly useful ability I threw up there.
Eh, if you had made it something like Photographic Memory, I probably would have voted for that.
>> No. 139342
I'd say precognition is a lot more useful than anything else. The ability to (more or less) read ahead in a CYOA would be absurdly helpful.
Wish I'd gotten here earlier...
>> No. 139352
File 130228851393.jpg - (24.85KB , 600x870 , 2633505827422f3ce41d3bfeaf98e187fb4c1a0c.jpg ) [iqdb]
139352
Her eyes focused slowly. Who... who... that was right. Her name was Tabby.... wait, no, that wasn't quite right either. Her name was Ta-... Ta- something, why couldn't she remember, Ta... Tabuki. Yes, that was it. Her name was Tabuki Vivipary, though 'Tabby' still stuck irritatingly in her mind. That much recalled, a brief flow of memory seemed to surge into her.

Although, It was far less than she had hoped for, as she ordered the suddenly rampant thoughts. She knew her name. She knew, without really knowing how she knew, that she was smart and fast and had untapped magical talent... well, probably, anyway. Uncertainty came when she recalled that she had almost no other knowledge aside from that. Where she was. Where she had come from. Why she was here, in... She paused for a moment to take in the dark, barely visible surroundings. Why she was underground, in a cave, somewhere. And, probably most immediately pertinent, why she was naked, except for a scattering of cave-dust, which she quickly brushed off as best she could. It wasn't exactly going to be a serious concern, but she did, probably, have her reputation to consider, even if it wasn't likely anyone would see her details in the dark. Or that she would even actually run into anyone before she found something to cover herself with.

She squinted as she peered through the darkness, eyes having slowly adjusted to the point where she could make out dim outlines of things. It seemed like for now, that was the best she would get.

She was in a relatively small nook on the side of a huge tunnel, yawning off to the left and the right. There was something odd about some of the boulders behind her, collapsed against the wall, and just at the edge of her range of vision, toward the center of the tunnel, she could see something that looked out of place, though she couldn't quite make out the details from here. More personally worrying, at the moment, was the issue of why she couldn't remember anything, though she supposed that could be shelved for a bit if she had to.

---
Quests-
Escape the Tunnels
Self-Discovery

Inventory-
Nothing.


Tabby should:

[ ] Inspect something. [Intelligence/Perception]
-[ ] The boulders in the back of the hollow.
-[ ] The out of place thing.

[ ] Ignore them and hurry on.
-[ ] To the left.
-[ ] To the right.

[ ] Sit down and think deeply. [Intelligence]
-[ ] About the tunnel.
-[ ] About her memories, more importantly, the lack of them.
-[ ] About how to make some kind of light.[Magic]
>> No. 139353
[x] Sit down and think deeply. [Intelligence]
-[x] About how to make some kind of light.[Magic]

I wanna inspect shit. We can't notice things if our life depended on it, so some light is in order. Plenty of time for introspection later.

Awfully gamish. I guess that's not a bad thing.
>> No. 139354
[x] Inspect something. [Intelligence/Perception]
-[x] The out of place thing.

Getting a adventure game vibe out of this. More than usual, that is.
>> No. 139356
[X] Sit down and think deeply. [Intelligence]
---[X] About the tunnel.

a beacon of light is just gunna attract stuff to us. If she can see the two tunnel openings, she can move along them with her hand on the wall for guidance
>> No. 139359
>>139328
[x] Inspect something. [Intelligence/Perception]
-[x] The out of place thing.
The broken ability is, well, broken. Everyone likes surprises.
>> No. 139369
[x] Sit down and think deeply. [Intelligence]
-[x] About how to make some kind of light.[Magic]

>>139356
Unless we happen to run our hand over someone or something else's naked breast.
>> No. 139372
wait...wait...I just noticed something...were about to use magic...to exactly replicate one of the other starting abilities?

inb4 rumia shark end after author says "LOL IF YOU WANTED LIGHT YOU SHOULD HAVE PICKED IT"
>> No. 139374
>>139372
If they did that, then it'd kill whatever popularity this story has.
>> No. 139395
[x] Inspect something. [Intelligence/Perception]
-[x] The boulders in the back of the hollow.
>> No. 139404
>>139372
We'd be creating a small orb similar to a flashlight and probably exhaust some of our magical ability, and can't keep it up for long periods of time. On top of that, we may not even succeed, and it could backfire.

As a special power, it would probably come without fatigue, has 100% chance of success, and as it says, is improvable.

And if you look at Danger Sense, it can offset Perception. So by having high magical ability, it could possibly allow us the use of Necromancy, Light Control and Gravity regardless. Perhaps having any of these as a special power just allows us to go beyond the power a normal mage can use, and can probably be used at any time, even if we're blind-folded, gagged and tied up.

I think the choices may have been originally intended to "cover all bases". If you're a body-builder with no magical talent, Gravity/Light could help you in places where you need magic. Whereas a mage with no physical power that needs time and concentration to perform an attack would be better suited with something like Danger Sense, since they could be caught off-guard and knocked out easily.
>> No. 139447
Hm, a tie. I guess I'll check back in later.
>> No. 139448
>>139353
Changing
[x] Inspect something. [Intelligence/Perception]
-[x] The out of place thing.

Sure, I'm down with using our intelligence to figure out what this blurry shit is.
>> No. 139449
Alright, calling it. I'll start writing soon.
Intelligence succeeds, as expected, and... hm, almost managed to pull the perception bit of it too. But not quite.
>> No. 139455
Despite the dimness, and her anxiety, she was steadily growing more and more concerned about that thing, and she lurched over to give it a closer look, joints protesting the motion but slowly loosening and quieting down. It just didn't seem to belong to its surroundings. As she stepped closer, the reason became clear, because while there were a number of rock and detritus and pile-of-dirt shaped things scattered about the floor of the cavernous tunnels, this was different. It was person-shaped.

Tabuki squatted down and poked idly at it, giving it a quick once over. Red hair, simple clothes with a few modest decorations, a crude, slim shortsword fallen just a little away from one outstretched hand. She reached out and let a hand against the figure's cheek before adding 'room-temperature' to the list of garnered details.

Corpse. Given that much, it was almost definitely a corpse. The world suddenly blurred around her...

Running, running through the tunnels, running little girl, she's behind following, she's following, she's, she's not following something's wrong, why isn't she chasing, if she isn't, then... she's here. fingers outstretching, taking hold, no, have to run, have to get away from, have to run, have to, no, too late, gasping for breath and clawing at the hand clamped about her throat. Limp and dead, then tossed aside, little girl lost, as she smiled and slowly walked away-

... she gasped softly and clutched at her head, the stabbing new memory having struck like a hammer in it's intensity and jagged, fragmented nature. It seemed important, though, so she should probably remember. In any case, while the clothes weren't anything special, and neither was the sword, as she was dubious of whether she could use it effectively, and it seemed to have been made of cheap pot-metal besides, she could at least make more use of them than the redhead could, even if she just sold them later to buy something else. Well, assuming she was going to take them, anyway.

---

Looting-
[ ] Take the clothes, you're naked after all.
[ ] Take the sword, sharp metal can ruin someone's day if you really need it.
[ ] Take both. It's not like the redhead needs this stuff anymore.
[ ] Take neither. Naked and unarmed you may be, but you haven't yet stooped to robbing corpses, and it's not like you need a sword to defend yourself anyway.

Otherwise-
[ ] Inspect the boulders in the back of the hollow. [Intelligence/Perception]

[ ] Ignore them and hurry on.
-[ ] To the left.
-[ ] To the right.

[ ] Sit down and think deeply. [Intelligence]
-[ ] About the tunnel.
-[ ] About her memories, more importantly, the lack of them.
-[ ] About how to make some kind of light.[Magic]
>> No. 139457
[x] Ignore them and hurry on.
-[x] To the left.

Fuck corpse robbing and fuck this tunnel. We're going to spend forever in here, aren't we?
>> No. 139460
[x] Take the clothes, you're naked after all.
Being naked in a cave isn't good. You're bound to get a nasty cut and an infection.
>> No. 139463
>>139461
Well, yeah, but I'm not metagaming here. I'm thinking of what I would do in that situation.
>> No. 139464
>>139461

And =/= With. Just pointing it out. There's no jewelry, what decoration is there is part and parcel of the clothes.

Also, you misspelled 'intelligence', but I guess it was a good attempt on trying to force it away from a perception roll that would probably fail, if that was your intention.
>> No. 139465
Looting-
[x] Take neither. Naked and unarmed you may be, but you haven't yet stooped to robbing corpses, and it's not like you need a sword to defend yourself anyway.

Otherwise-
[x] Inspect the boulders in the back of the hollow. [Intelligence/Perception]
>> No. 139466
>>139464

>>139464

deleated my old post. would you let me get away with

[X] think deeply about why there is a dead body here[intelligence]


..or am I basically just shitposting?
>> No. 139467
Oh, no, your post was fine, I was just pointing out that you seemed to have misread what I typed. You could still try to find jewelry, despite there not being any there to find, you just wouldn't get anything out of it.

Further, 'how did she die' is a valid course of inspection, just as 'why is the body here' is. Not at all the same thing, of course, but it's fine. Depends on which you're more curious about.

TLDR- Interested to see where you're going with this, how you write things in might just be important~
>> No. 139485
Okay, one for ignoring everything and moving on, which I guess also counts towards 'do not loot', so two votes for that, one for clothes, one to look at the rocks, and one write in.

So, Naked Tabby is go, unless when more votes come in to tiebreak, they include 'get clothsed'. Or, well, I guess I could add older votes, if nothing else comes in, and I guess that'd just barely put boulders into the lead.

Well, either way, I'll wait at least a few more hours before anything.
>> No. 139486
I'd like to be naked when we meet our first Touhou. Naked and filthy. Roll around in the dust a bit.

First impressions are important.
>> No. 139509
File 130249328352.jpg - (7.66KB , 376x295 , snake eyes dice(1).jpg ) [iqdb]
139509
Aaand, patience now = 0, so calling it for 'don't loot' and 'look at rocks'. Intelligence... wow, super good.... um, so was perception, actually. Wasn't expecting that. Seriously, critted both rolls. Impressive. Well, I'll get to writing soonish, then, please wait patiently. Or chat, or whatever. Post should happen fairly soon.

Pic only semi-related, not d10's, used random.org, etc, but makes a good 'CRITICAL' image for situations like this.
>> No. 139510
File 130250544718.png - (1.30MB , 1200x761 , 5963fe4ebb3eb60710fbfffc5968eb92.png ) [iqdb]
139510
In the end, though, Tabuki just stood and stepped away from the redhead. Something seemed wrong about just taking what she needed from the corpse, leaving it without any modesty of its own, even if hers would be secured. Almost disrespectful. She just couldn't bring herself to do it.

Instead, she turned and made her way back to the hollow. Something had bothered her about the rocks she had woken near, and while she'd tried to ignore it at first, it had just kept digging and digging at her, and she couldn't take it any more. She had to get a better look.

She stopped just a little away from the dusty rocks, heaped against the wall, squinting and tilting her head first one way, then the other. She really couldn't see what-

The girl sighed, staring out her window at the peasant-children capering in the streets below. It was so... distasteful, wretched, and disgusting, the way they delighted in the hooliganism and the filth collecting upon them. It was so.... She sighed again, and sipped slowly at her tea.

It looked like such fun. She wished she could join in.

But theirs were different worlds. They would not approach her, and even when she had approached them, the differences were so great that accepting her was...

"Can I tell you a secret?" She whispered to her doll, the closest companion she had, then manipulated its head gently to look like a silent nod before continuing. "The villager's children participate in a 'test of courage', or so I heard. There is a cavern a small distance away from the town that Youkai don't enter... they say it's a gateway, a series of tunnels that leads to hell. Can you imagine?"

She giggled slightly to herself, but it was clear that she was at least a little unnerved by the thought.

"In... in any case, they leave near dusk, spend the night inside the cavern, and... oh, stepmother. I'm afraid I didn't see you enter."

"Hm, and fortunate you didn't. What's this nonsense about a test of courage child? Leaving the village at night? I shan't hear of it."

"But..."

"No, child."

An odd cast fell over the woman's face for a few moments, then she continued.

"It's not at all safe, outside the village at night. Whether or not they 'say' youkai do not enter this cavern... can they be sure? How do they know this? Would you risk your life on hearsay? Child... you are all that remains of my husband's first wife. It's clear, with every word he speaks, and with every moment that passes, that you hold the greatest place in his heart, above my own children, even above myself..."

She paused again, shaking her head.

"Were you to die... I have no doubt that the grief would end your poor father's life as surely as any blade. And were you to leave the village, there could be no protection for you. If you value your father at all, then please, put these notions out of your head at once."


Tabuki stumbled, the sudden, stabbing memory forcing her to acknowledge it, and sending her to one knee. She winced as she looked back up from the new angle, and...

No. No, that couldn't be right. Those... they weren't rocks at all, but giant-

"Bones." She whispered somberly to herself, ignoring how the word seemed to carry through the tunnel.

There was a soft noise nearby... probably a tunnel draft rustling through the corpse's dress. She ignored it, and kept her focus on the skeleton.

It had long since been picked clean of flesh, and there were places where the scattered bones themselves had been gnawed at until they had splintered away, and the marrow inside... she couldn't stop imagining it now, teeth grit, tears having begun to flow unwanted and unprepared for and... Even now, she still couldn't understand why. Why it was that the sight of these old bones made her so...

Angry.

---

The bones-
[ ] Leave them as they are. There's nothing you can do.
-[ ] But take a small, shattered fragment with you. Like calls to like, and... if you do this[/], you can use it later to find these bones again when you're more capable of dealing with them. [Magic]
[ ] You... you can't just leave them here. You have to do something. Anything.
-[ ] Heap rocks and dirt up over the bones. It's a bit late for a funeral mound, as vermin have already stripped them clean, but there's not much else you can do. [Power]
-[ ] Reach out into the earth. Feel it. Know it. Bend it to your ends, and gently twist the stone to entomb the bones where they lay. Burn an inscription of mourning into the rock. [Magic]

Focus your thoughts on-[Intelligence]
[ ] This tunnel. This tunnel. THIS TUNNEL, THIS TUNNEL, THIS TUNNEL. THIS TUNNEL THIS TUNNEL THIS TUNNEL. THIS TUNNEL!
[ ] WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY CAN'T YOU [i]REMEMBER
?
[ ] DANCING FIRE, GIVE ME LIGHT, SHOW ME THE INIQUITY OF THE WORLD THAT I MAY PURGE IT CLEAN WITH SEARING FLAME.[Magic]

Ignore everything and-
[ ] Go left.
[ ] Go right.
>> No. 139513
[x] Leave them as they are. There's nothing you can do.
-[x] But take a small, shattered fragment with you. Like calls to like, and... if you do this[/], you can use it later to find these bones again when you're more capable of dealing with them. [Magic]
>> No. 139518
[x] You... you can't just leave them here. You have to do something. Anything.
-[x] Reach out into the earth. Feel it. Know it. Bend it to your ends, and gently twist the stone to entomb the bones where they lay. Burn an inscription of mourning into the rock. [Magic]

[x] WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY CAN'T YOU [i]REMEMBER?
[x] DANCING FIRE, GIVE ME LIGHT, SHOW ME THE INIQUITY OF THE WORLD THAT I MAY PURGE IT CLEAN WITH SEARING FLAME.[Magic]

Thou shalt rage, thou shalt remember.
>> No. 139520
The bones-
[x] Leave them as they are. There's nothing you can do.
-[x] But take a small, shattered fragment with you. Like calls to like, and... if you do this, you can use it later to find these bones again when you're more capable of dealing with them. [Magic]
Focus your thoughts on-[Intelligence]
[x] This tunnel. This tunnel. THIS TUNNEL, THIS TUNNEL, THIS TUNNEL. THIS TUNNEL THIS TUNNEL THIS TUNNEL. THIS TUNNEL!
Ignore everything and-
[x] Go left.

We can move and think at the same time. Let's do so.

This update was longer. Goooood.
>> No. 139541
[X] You... you can't just leave them here. You have to do something. Anything.

-[X] Reach out into the earth. Feel it. Know it. Bend it to your ends, and gently twist the stone to entomb the bones where they lay. Burn an inscription of mourning into the rock. [Magic]
>> No. 139569
Myeah, bones options are still tied, aren't they. I'll probably call it with the next vote for either flashy magic or subtle magic, then. Well, unless there's a sudden flood of votes or something, anyway.
>> No. 139587
[X] You... you can't just leave them here. You have to do something. Anything.

-[X] Reach out into the earth. Feel it. Know it. Bend it to your ends, and gently twist the stone to entomb the bones where they lay. Burn an inscription of mourning into the rock. [Magic]

Here you go.
>> No. 139588
Cool, called. I'll start writing... uh, after this paper is done. And I'm done playing with chemicals. And some other stuff. Well, it'll happen relatively soon, anyway.
>> No. 139592
File 130273807797.jpg - (125.49KB , 900x1200 , Ivory_statue_of_woman.jpg ) [iqdb]
139592
The rage boiled, and as she grit her her teeth, hands clenching into fists, it nearly overflowed... And then, as she opened her eyes again, she seemed to have reached an almost zen-like state of deceptive calmness on the other side of what might be called mental whitewater rapids of hatred.

These bones would not simply be left to lie in ignominy. She refused to allow it. It wasn't as though she could carry them out on her own... but this much. Yes, this much she could certainly do. It would be taxing on her, tapping reserves that were at the moment still thoroughly dormant, but that was unimportant. She felt for some reason as though she owed something to these bones. That she had been... not directly responsible, no, but more that if she had intervened, or been able to step in, then she would still be... her head throbbed, but only for a moment, and it seemed no new memory was forthcoming this time. No matter.

Tabuki began to draw upon mystic energy, pouring it through herself and outwards, seeping through the stone and earth, feeling every nook and cranny of the earth around them, every deep root and pocket of air. This would take some effort, not simply to achieve the desired result, but to do so in a fashion that didn't end with the roof of the cavern crashing down upon her and crushing her to death beneath broken stone, smothering her with the loosened earth drifting down through the cracks. Finesse. Overwhelming force, too, of course, given that she was effectively moving... well, admittedly not a mountain, or even a particularly large hill, but in any case care had to be taken when moving any quantity of earth around underground.

Sweat began to break out on her forehead as, before her, the stone floor of the cavern began to bubble. Slowly at first, just the occasional popping, muddy squelch, but increasing rapidly in speed until the rock itself seemed to boil before her. Breathing heavily, she decided that that was good enough and began to twist at the gathered earth, directing it to slowly flow upwards, encapsulating the remains as it went, sealing and protecting them from any further damage within. By now she had begun sweating heavily from the exertion, but continued on.

The base of the stone was smoothed into a boxy pedestal, and she began working her way up from there. Feet and legs were carefully articulated, the stone bulging and compressing in accordance to her whim, flowing upwards past hips and torso, extending outwards to form arms and a head, even the finest details of the statue adjusting itself the moment she considered that any change needed to be made, followed by a second, thinner layer of stone, shaping itself into a facsimile of clothing. By the time she was through, the statue was breathtaking in its attention to detail, the dress seeming to flutter in a nonexistent gale, the girl it depicted seeming to have stepped directly out from Tabuki's fractured memories, smiling gently...

She was crying again, and still didn't understand why. How utterly bizarre. She did her best to choke back the emotion as she slumped down to sit against a rock, heart hammering in her chest as though it were about to explode, and began to catch a now ragged breath. That had taken far, far more out of her than she had initially expected, even given that she wasn't using a 'spell' as such, but moving the rock with sheer magic-backed willpower alone. Now would be a good time to take a quick break, maybe seriously think about... dammit, there was that sound again, only it was nowhere near the corpse this time, closer and louder, what...

Tabuki looked up to realize that an absurdly large spider was currently midway through its leap at her, and thoughts of quiet introspection were temporarily shelved.
>> No. 139593
File 130273816918.jpg - (145.95KB , 1479x1345 , PZO9015-CutlassSpiderGolem.jpg ) [iqdb]
139593
Current status-

Health: 100%, Magic: 30%

Warning, magical reserves are low.

Inventory-
Still nothing


Spider Interrupt: Split second decision.
[ ] Activate your ability! Make it-
-[ ] -heavier for an instant, so it lands well short of you.
-[ ] -lighter for a moment, so it sails over your head.
[ ] DODGE DODGE DODGE. [Agility]
[ ] BATTER UP. [Power]
[ ] BLAST IT OUT OF THE AIR. [Magic]

General battle strategy:

Fight
[ ] Offensively
-[ ] Pounding away at it with your fists. [Power]
-[ ] Blasting away at it with arcane might until it stops moving. [Magic]
[ ] Defensively
-[ ] Whatever you do, keep away from the pointy, bitey bits. [Agility]
-[ ] Try to find a defensible spot, keep your back to a wall, and generally try to convince it that you're too much trouble to take down. [Power]
--[ ] Using your arcane abilities to voice a compelling argument. [Magic](overrides 'power')

[ ] Or just run as fast as you can, down whichever branch of the tunnel you can get to first, and hope to lose it. [Agility](path randomly determined)

Optional.
[ ] You smell opportunity. When the creature is weakened, attempt to impose your will upon it, dominating it to your own purposes, rather than finishing it off. This will, of course, carry some risk. [Magic/Charisma or Power/Charisma]

I'll also remind you, these aren't the only options. More than willing to play along with a write-in, if people think up and agree on a winning strategy.
>> No. 139594
[x] Activate your ability! Make it-
-[x] -lighter for a moment, so it sails over your head.
[x] BLAST IT OUT OF THE AIR. [Magic]

Everyone knows spiders' stomachs are their weak points! At this range, we can't miss! If that doesn't take it down

[x] Run like hell! (Agility)

When in doubt, have a giant spider leap at the protagonist? Well... it worked.
>> No. 139598
[x] Activate your ability! Make it-
-[x] -lighter for a moment, so it sails over your head.
[x]Run as fast as you can, down whichever branch of the tunnel you can get to first, and hope to lose it. [Agility](path randomly determined)


RUN NAKED BLINDLY THROUGH A DARK CAVE FROM A CREATURE WITH SUPERIOR SPEED AND SENSES
BRILLIANT.
>> No. 139626
[x] Activate your ability! Make it-
-[x] -lighter for a moment, so it sails over your head.
[x]Run as fast as you can, down whichever branch of the tunnel you can get to first, and hope to lose it. [Agility](path randomly determined)
>> No. 139643
[x] Activate your ability! Make it-
-[x] -heavier for an instant, so it lands well short of you.
[x] Offensively
-[x] Blasting away at it with arcane might until it stops moving. [Magic]

SLAM

SHOT
>> No. 139662
[x] BATTER UP. [Power]
[x] Offensively
-[x] Pounding away at it with your fists. [Power]
>> No. 139677
>>139662
>1 point in power
>Using power based moves
Just what the fuck do you hope to ac-

Dawww, now I'm imagining her pounding away with her tiny fists while the spider sits there and looks up at her curiously.
>> No. 139678
File 13029011144.png - (4.21KB , 171x193 , Agility Roll.png ) [iqdb]
139678
'Kay, vote called for 'send it over your head' and 'run away'.

...

Uh, well, that's not good. Writing soon.
>> No. 139679
>>139678
Oh for the love of...
>> No. 139680
>>139678
>Kay

Kay?

Kay.
>> No. 139682
File 130290919844.png - (7.28KB , 400x144 , random_number.png ) [iqdb]
139682
>> No. 139683
File 130291023773.png - (21.81KB , 150x150 , Uh.png ) [iqdb]
139683
>>139682

?
>> No. 139685
[X]you always knew those anti-spider martial arts lessons you took would come in handy [luck]

all joking aside tho, i wonder how failing combat rolls is going to work...going back a post just to pick the same thing and reroll seems kinda....
>> No. 139692
File 130292649194.jpg - (387.26KB , 563x673 , OhDear.jpg ) [iqdb]
139692
Almost instantly, Tabuki knew what to do and how to do it. Just a little nudge, a poke at the fabric of reality, and the airborne spider suddenly found itself moving higher than its leap should have carried it. It almost seemed surprised, and a quick glance toward its underbelly, more out of curiosity than anything, was rewarded with a stunning lack of weak points or soft, fleshy masses, revealing that the spider's chitinous exoskeleton had no glaring weaknesses to exploit. Well, that confirmed it, then. She'd been iffy from the moment she made out the eight hungry eyes and the mandibles, almost drooling with venom, and that just clinched it. She was having absolutely none of this nonsense.

She lurched into a run as it passed overhead, but quickly discovered that it would probably have been better to wait just a moment more, as the spider began thrashing its limbs violently at the sight of its prey attempting retreat. She ducked the first two, and sidestepped the third. The fourth, however, clipped her directly in the temple, sending her spinning, with swimming vision, and tumbling to one knee.

She immediately realized the situation, and started to come up and back into motion, but it was too late. She made it a few dizzying steps, world whirling around her, but hadn't built up enough momentum for an actual run before she could hear the spider touching down behind her, legs scrambling into a direct charge.

She managed another step before it slammed into her from behind, sending her crashing face first into the dusty floor of the cave, then dropped down directly on top of her, pinning her in place, crushing weight forcing the air out of her lungs so that she could barely breath. She nonetheless let loose a strangled scream of pain when it bit down, and her shoulder erupted from twin spikes of burning agony.

She gasped, softly and raggedly, for breath, but the spider simply pulled its fangs free and didn't seem inclined to immediately continue biting and ripping... then she felt it. a soft warmth against her feet, and sudden motion of chitinous legs against her own, lifting them up and forcing them together as they began to wind the warm thing carefully around her ankles. What on...

The answer hit her in a cold flash of insight. Spiders, after all, tended not to eat their prey immediately, but to capture them alive, then let their poison do the work of killing and transforming their meal into a soupy mess that would be easier for them to eat. That was what it was doing right now. It was going to cocoon her in silk and drag her off to somewhere hidden, where it would wait for her to die and for its toxin to corrode her flesh to mush, before it fed on the wretched remains.

---

The correct response to this, Tabuki felt, was:

[ ] Panic. She had to throw it off, right now, right now! [Power]
[ ] Panic. Oh god, oh god, she had to get it off. She had to burn it. Burn the spider. Burn the web. Burn everything.[Magic]
[ ] Panic. Scream out for help, as loud and shrill as possible, and hope someone heard her. Even something if it came to that. If they got into a fight over the prey, it might give her a chance to get away. [Luck]
[ ] Arousal. The feeling of sudden helplessness and despair, and the pain from the bite, coupled with the wooziness from the injected poison, was just so intoxi NOPE.

Followed by:

[ ] Beating it to death. Sure, she couldn't exactly see straight, her vision was getting a little fuzzy, but on the plus side it would probably be happy to come to her. [Power]
[ ] Blasting it to ash. Sure, she couldn't really pick out a specific target through the hazy fog of pain and poison, but if she just burned everything it should turn out fine. [Magic]
[ ] Running like her life depended on... oh, right. yeah, so she had no idea where either path down the tunnels went, but the important thing to remember was, wherever they ended up, that place was not pinned beneath the bulk of a hungry spider. And so, really, it could only be considered an improvement. [Agility/Luck]

Extra
[ ] Subjugate the spider to your will. (Risky) [Mag/Cha or Power/Cha]
[ ] Just kill the damn thing and have done with it already.

Status report:

Health: 70%, Magic 30%. Poisoned. Light concussion.

Warning, magical reserves are low.
Warning, spider poison inflicts a steady drain of health, and grants a -1 modifier to Power, Agility, and Perception. Repeated application may worsen effects.
Warning, side effects of concussion can include, but are not limited to, dizziness, lack of motor coordination, trouble balancing, confusion, disorientation, and difficulty focusing attention or vision, effectively granting a -1 modifier to Agility, Perception, and Intelligence.

Advise immediate medical consultation.

Inventory: N/A

Spider is at 100% health.

>> No. 139693
Gotta do SOMETHING, I guess.
[x] Panic. Oh god, oh god, she had to get it off. She had to burn it. Burn the spider. Burn the web. Burn everything.[Magic]
[x] Blasting it to ash. Sure, she couldn't really pick out a specific target through the hazy fog of pain and poison, but if she just burned everything it should turn out fine. [Magic]
Now to give yourself third degree burns.

You should really give us some indication of how much magic each thing uses up. I don't really have a clue.
>> No. 139694
hmmmmmm...this spider is kicking our ass. what we need is some sort of defensive/containment action instead of directly attacking the spider.

i'm sure "shoot it with fire until it stops moving" is not the only application for a gifted magical girl such as ourself. that being said, this also isn't the place for rediculously high powered spells either.

I would go with

[X]Earth spike from directly beneath the spider

not only does this directly attack the spider, but it also immobilizes it, setting it up for a direct fireball once we scramble away.

also, completely incinerating the spider would cut off any chance of distilling an anti-venom from the fangs. just FYI
>> No. 139695
>>139693

Mhm, spells will have notes of how much they cost you to use, proportionately. This doesn't because you aren't using spells, you're just... uh, analogy time... scooping out a chunk of magic, setting it on fire, and dumping it on the spider, sort of? It can have fluctuating effects, you might use less than a spell that dealt about the same amount would cost, or you might end up using more, but you can't go below zero. Magical options for dealing with the bones were very much plot related, though, so they would both cost a specific amount.

Sidenote, spells will be different, assuming you don't get eaten. They forcibly draw their cost from you, so you can use one while having less in reserve than it actually requires. And then Bad stuff happens to you, potentially including accidentally burning a limb to ash or just instantly dying, depending on how far below zero it would take you. So, might want to keep that in mind and watch your math later, I guess.

>>139694

That's an interesting plan. Do you intend to move first?
>> No. 139697
>>139695

OOOHHH haha I get what you were trying to say now.

changing >>139694

to [X]shift to the side a bit, THEN earth spike the spider


I feel pretty derp right now.
>> No. 139698
>>139696

That's not exactly the thrust of my concern, but okay. If you really think the best idea in this situation is to stab upward from directly beneath the spider with a spire of jagged pointy floor-rock, then that's fine. Nevermind!

Anyway, just going to throw this out there, but you can ask things that Tabby could be reasonably expected to know and get an answer. If she doesn't know something, or knows something wrong, then that's iffy, but just a thought. You couldn't get an accurate answer to, say, 'what color are Okuu's current panties', because not only does she not know that, she has no idea who that person even is. On the other hand, if you wanted to know 'what color is this spider' or 'is its carapace hairy or smooth' you could get that info with no real trouble at all.
>> No. 139699
I don't think the 'game format' with rolling and exact stats will work very well in a CYOA, mostly because eventually (maybe even very soon, by the state of things), we're gonna get a couple of lousy rolls and just die, which would be a waste of time for all parties involved. Or even worse, if you're an asshole, we miss something critical that will end up in a unavoidable bad end later on, because of a missed roll or two early on.
I'm pretty sure there have been failed attempts at game-format in this site, for this and other reasons, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
>> No. 139700
>>139699

90% of things in life is a waste of time for all parties involved. Might as well find some amusement in this whole thing.
>> No. 139703
[x] Panic. Oh god, oh god, she had to get it off. She had to burn it. Burn the spider. Burn the web. Burn everything.[Magic]
[x] Running like her life depended on... oh, right. yeah, so she had no idea where either path down the tunnels went, but the important thing to remember was, wherever they ended up, that place was not pinned beneath the bulk of a hungry spider. And so, really, it could only be considered an improvement. [Agility/Luck]
[x] Just kill the damn thing and have done with it already.
>> No. 139709
[x] Panic. Oh god, oh god, she had to get it off. She had to burn it. Burn the spider. Burn the web. Burn everything.[Magic]
[x] Blasting it to ash. Sure, she couldn't really pick out a specific target through the hazy fog of pain and poison, but if she just burned everything it should turn out fine. [Magic]
[x] Just kill the damn thing and have done with it already.

Kill, maim, burn?

Invite it to a round of beer?
>> No. 139715
It's the weekend, so I have more free time and my patience is at minimum. Write-in was an interesting and fairly logical idea, building upon already demonstrated and familiar magical tactics, but it picked up no real support, so calling it now for 'panicsplosion', 'burn it till it stops moving', and 'just kill it off'.

Rolls: success (8, 4).
Anyway, time to make with the fire. Writing soon.
>> No. 139717
File 13030127498.jpg - (541.56KB , 850x850 , sample_9c603c0650b70860975574388631d53b5b6eb920.jpg ) [iqdb]
139717
In almost direct response to the realization of what was sure to be a grisly fate, Tabuki's panic hit a crescendo, and... well, there wasn't really any exact words for what followed, but the closest analogy would be to say that she 'exploded', magic pouring out from her and to the spider, igniting into a display of flame and force.

Despite having probably seen her fashioning the grave, this seemed to take the spider completely by surprise. It probably wasn't smart enough to connect the thoughts that since she had used magic to do something, other magical actions may be forthcoming. Or maybe it just hadn't recognized the earth-shaping as magic, or dangerous. Either way, the explosion, mostly focused toward the spider as it was, was more than enough to launch the arachnid off and some distance away, and while there was a little bit of backdraft, it wasn't really enough to do any serious harm on its own. The webbing around her feet and ankles, however, had caught alight, and while it burned away quickly, the fire against her skin was painful, for the brief moment it remained.

She lurched to her feet, and rapidly considered her options. At first she wanted to just run... but snapping her head back revealed that the spider was already starting to rise. She doubted she could have outrun it even if she'd already started. On top of that... the faster her blood was pumping, the faster the poison would spread. That was just logic. No, there was only one option here. If she ran, it would follow. It might not attack, but it would be there, waiting for her to succumb to the poison. The only thing left to do was to fight, to put it down as fast as possible, and... she couldn't see the spider anymore.

She immediately blasted outwards with a widespread, but thin, scattering of flame, more for the light than anything else. There. It was blurry, and just outside what would normally be her range of vision in the dark, having started to circle around behind her. She focused her assault against it, streams of flame gathering from the ether and pouring against the creature. It seemed to almost scream beneath the onslaught, thrashing, then quickly began lurching towards her, in a clear attempt to make the fire stop. She would have none of that. She stepped backwards, keeping distance between them as she kept the fires focused, and the spider slowed in its advance, staggering, and then coming to a sudden stop, toppling aside. She kept the fire going for another few seconds, just in case it was still alive, before breaking the flow of magic. The spidery corpse continued to burn on its own, with a more normal flame, and she staggered slightly beneath a sudden crushing onset of momentary dizziness.

Turning, she lurched down the... left tunnel? Right tunnel, maybe? The closer one, in any case, as she couldn't quite recall how to tell the two of them apart at this exact moment, doing what she could to keep her breathing slow and even, and slow the poison's spread, to keep from, keep from... something, something, the world had gone all blurry and she had to keep one hand against the wall for support, she wasn't sure why what, what on earth was that smell, getting stronger as she went... sulphur, it smelled like sulphur, actually. This was probably the wrong way, the tunnel had begun to slightly incline downwards, and it was getting warmer, it was... it was actually pretty nice, she could see stopping for a no, every second that passed the poison spread a little further, and if she actually stopped to sleep unattended and without assistance, leaving the poison be, then she would die, and she didn't want, she didn't want, to die so uselessly, fruitlessly, and, and, that thing, that blurry thing up ahead, it had a shape. It had a shape, it had a good shape, because it was person-shaped, and finding a thing that was shaped like a person was a good thing, because it might be a person in more than just shape, and then it could...

"Help... me..." She rasped, slowly tumbling forward and hitting the floor as the world faded to black.

---

Status report:

Health: 47%, Magic 22%. Poisoned. Light concussion.

Warning, magical reserves are low.
Warning, spider poison inflicts a steady drain of health, and grants a -1 modifier to Power, Agility, and Perception. Repeated application may worsen effects.
Warning, side effects of concussion can include, but are not limited to, dizziness, lack of motor coordination, trouble balancing, confusion, disorientation, and difficulty focusing attention or vision, effectively granting a -1 modifier to Agility, Perception, and Intelligence.

Advise immediate medical consultation.

Inventory: N/A


---

Tabuki dreamed-
[ ] of a maiden.
[ ] of a mother.
[ ] of a crone.
>> No. 139718
[x] of a mother.
>> No. 139720
[X]of a mother

please pay no attention to the text below. Anemia option will, of course, magically cure us.

in story time, it's been about 20 seconds since tabby got bit

[X]open a really deep cut in the arm containing the spider bite, suck out most of the poison
--[X]cauterize the wound with fire magic

>> No. 139721
>>139720
That's silly for multiple reasons.

[x] of a maiden.
>> No. 139730
[x] of a crone.

I see into your soul. This is your future, child.
>> No. 139732
[x] of a maiden.
>> No. 139734
[x] of a mother.

Sup Lachesis.
>> No. 139735
[X] of a maiden.
>> No. 139747
Uhuh... well, maiden and mother are tied, I guess next vote calls it. I could really go either way, here.
>> No. 139750
>>139747
Change a mother to
[x] Maiden
Clotho, also good.

With all the random chance in this thread, why not flip a coin to break ties? It's faster.
>> No. 139752
Maiden it is, then, though it may take a little while to get written. Now it's decided, I can say that the meaning of the choices may not be immediately apparent, though they do have meaning. A somewhat more personal interpretation, through Tabby's eyes, but meaningful nevertheless. Guess who the maiden is before I finish, and you'll get a delicious slice of internet cake, which is in no way a fabrication or prevarication of any sort.

Anyway, was starting to just consider writing both, fused into a single mess, but I wasn't sure how I'd pull that off. Well, something to consider for next time.
>> No. 139753
File 130315119128.jpg - (58.08KB , 533x401 , donetrollin.jpg ) [iqdb]
139753
>>139752

Sanae
>> No. 139755
File 130316217371.jpg - (72.74KB , 800x548 , sadako.jpg ) [iqdb]
139755
You guys definitely picked the interesting option this time~!

---

Tabuki drifted, alone in an endless sea of darkness. An empty void, featureless and blank as far as the eye could see in any direction. There was no way of telling how much time passed before anything happened, and at first it was barely noticeable. Just a tiny spot, a speck, the barest blip of color. Slowly, it drifted closer, taking on details and form, until she could make out the distinct shape of it. A wide, circular platform, with a raised dais at the center, on which stood three statues. An old woman, hunched over and seeming to radiate a sense of age. A woman sitting quietly in a chair, infant held protectively to her bosom. And finally, a mere slip of a girl, who's statue seemed to radiate youth and a sense of wide-eyed innocence. All three held up featureless, blank masks before their faces.

She touched down gently against the platform and stepped forward, and almost immediately two of the statues dissolved away into a sparkling mist and floated outward into the void, leaving only the girl behind.

And then, the dream began to twist into a nightmare.

The statue twitched, seeming to vibrate from within, and cracks began to spread loudly over its surface. Then an arm of stone shattered, revealing itself to be no more than a shell for the arm of flesh and skin beneath, large, too large, oversized and the wrong proportion until it began ripping away at the rest, plucking chunks and fragments of stone away from the whole as flesh bulged grotesquely outward from beneath, until everything had been torn away and almost all of the platform had been filled by a giant, naked woman, on her hands and knees, gasping raggedly for breath, hair hanging down like a thick veil. Tabuki had been forced to back up rapidly to make room,and had nearly stumbled off the edge of the platform in her haste.

And then, the woman looked up, her face finally visible through the shroud of hair, and unease was replaced with rage.

"You!" Tabuki spat venomously.

"Kehyahahahaha~" The woman howled, in unrestrained and twisted mirth. "Me... memememe! I am~"

"You killed... I'll-!"

"You'll?"

The woman heaved out an enormous, hissing breath, and began to slowly crawl forward.

"You will... what? Sweet little Tabby? All soft now, and pliant, and fleshy and squishy, I wonder, if I took hold of you and just sqeeeeezed, your head, would it explode? With the blood and the squish, would your hesd just go 'pop', or would it just fly off, spinning away with a trail of red behind, I wonder... I wonder...what is it... you'll do to me, little Tabby?"

"I'll avenge-"

"Vengeance!" The woman snarled outright, with enough force behind it that Tabuki stumbled and fell from her place, only to be caught in a giant hand and reeled back from the precipice, to be held almost tenderly immobile and helpless.

"Avenged vengeance upon vengeance renewed and returned... Because I killed her, yes, wrapped these hands about her pretty little throat and looked into those wide, betrayed eyes and squeezed, and felt her heart pulsing beneath me as her eyes rolled and she desperately sought for breath, trembling and confused as the world went dark but I had to, don't you see little Tabby, I had no choice, it was all his fault, and hers, for foolishness, and theirs in the first place, but mainly his, oh yes, because I was just a trophy, a pet, a doll, though you'd know something about that, I suspect, a kept thing to suffice for his entertainment because he had already sired an heir and had no need for more, but could always use a new way to flaunt his wealth and status, and if there was one thing I had, in place of money or fame, it was beauty, and so he spoke to them, my parents, and within a day the deal was set, bought, paid for, and it was done, and suddenly I was his property and ten years, less separating my age and that of his own daughter, lecherous knave that he was, but I had no choice, no say, no opportunity to even try to run, before it was already too late, and I went before him and did what I was bid, with only a few regrets, for what choice did I have, and I knew, I knew that I was replaceable, that he already felt he was fast wearing me out and then i would be replaced turned out to the streets with nothing to my name, left to fend for the unwanted, accidental children, and ah, my children, him I hated, but they, they I could do nothing but love, and there was no way I could feed them all alone, no matter to which path I turned, and none would wed such as I, despoiled and used and cast out like a filthy rag, and then she, that foolish little wretch, with no idea how good she had it, taunting me, almost begging for it and it was just so perfect, nobody to know she had even gone missing until morning, no sign of a struggle, no chance of being interrupted and him away meeting with one of the empty headed village slatterns that he thought I didn't know about, but how could I not when he had begun stumbling in late of those nights when he was even home, reeking of drink and merriment and it wouldn't be long, I knew, and it was the perfect chance, and I had to, they couldn't have survived otherwise, and it wasn't my fault, theirs for selling me off like so much meat to a butcher, his for preparing to throw me away like garbage after using me as he pleased, and hers, oh, especially hers, that foolish little brat, for she gave me the opportunity and I couldn't not oblige her by then, but not my fault, never mine, there was no other choice don't you see that you miserable little wretch?"

Over the course of the diatribe, her voice had become ever more heated, eyes slowly burning with passionate desperation and, yes, more than a touch of outright madness, hands squeezing tighter and tighter until Tabuki's ribs had begun to creak and strain under the pressure and it was all she could do to keep gasping in tiny, occasional breaths. As quickly as it had come, however, the woman's own rage cooled, and her grip was suddenly almost-gentle once more.

"And in any case, it no longer matters, sweet little tabby. It's time. It is time now, the time has come. You will remember..."

She began to lift her, slowly, to her mouth, and Tabuki began to struggle and thrash at what she somehow knew was to come.

"Pleasant dreams, dear little Tabby."

She kissed her forehead then, giant lips barely brushing against her, held in place despite the squirming, and then without ceremony she opened her mouth and bit down harshly.

And she found herself elsewhere, memories of different times and places floating about her, seeming as quiet, choppy grayed-outstill images to her, disappearing one by one, only to reappear somewhere inside herself, the imperfect, cracked and splintered memories of her past, slowly piecing themselves together to form a cohesive whole. There was a father, and a dead mother, and a newer stepmother, and a child, and a foolish dare she made to herself, and a tangled web of cruelty piled upon cruelty which fortunately the child hadn't been quite old enough, yet, to completely comprehend, climaxing in violence and one innocence snuffed out prematurely for the sake of others. But before, before that, was one particular memory. Her first. Her most important. This one was the key to understanding it all.

There was a woman, who's hair had only just begun to slightly gray, harsh lines crinkled about her eyes, less from age and more from the illness that was striking at her. She wasn't long for the world, she knew, but she had a little time, just a little remaining.

"My child... come here..." She rasped, voice heavy enough that she could barely raise it further than a whisper, but the girl heard, and she stepped carefully forward, wide-eyed and clearly distressed at her mother's state.

"I have... a gift for you... it will probably... be my last..."

"Don't say that, mother! Those men... they're wrong. You're going to get better!"

The woman laughed softly.

"I'm... glad you have... such faith in me... but..." She trailed off and chuckled again at the girl's determined pout. "All right... I'll speak no more of that... but of my gift... It is an unusual thing. But precious... the token of a mother's love... I'll leave it to you... to give her a name..."

The woman slowly drew out and opened a box, and drew out from it a carved wooden doll, dressed in a simple, thin and papery chemise... a mop of blue hair falling about her head and shoulders.

"... Tabuki." The girl decided, reaching almost solemnly out to gather it... [i]her
into her arms. "Her name is Tabuki, and I'll treasure her for ever and always, and you'll be there to see.."

"... I only wish... I could be so confident.." The mother rasped wistfully.

She died less than a fortnight later, in her sleep.[/i]

---

Tabuki's eyes snapped open, reeling from the bizarre, but revealing dream, damp with sweat and gasping for breath. She was in a bed... oddly enough, fit to her size, and a small plate of food and a bit of paper was set on a small table nearby. Her wounds had been cleaned, as had the rest of her, treated and wrapped, and a winged girl was slowly stirring from her own slumber in a chair next to the bed.

"Hmmmwg... Oh! You're awake, miss... um... oh right! They said you might need help eating. Um, if you need it..."

The girl trailed off, clearly waiting for a response.

---

Tabuki-

[ ] Eat the food yourself. Yeah, you hurt a little, and you don't have terror-adrenaline pushing you on anymore, but you're fine. [Power]
[ ] Accept the offer of help.
-[ ] Gracefully, of course. It might be a little demeaning, but it's only right to convey gratitude to those who assist you. [Charisma]
-[ ] Just nod, and try not to wince too obviously. You're in pain here.

Fairy-stats are mostly up in the air, I'll set them in stone if necessary, but she has a low intelligence. Like basically all fairies. Well, may or may not be important.
>> No. 139760
>>139755
Holy fucking shit. I see what you meant by interesting.
Oh right, my vote.
[X] Accept the offer of help.
-[X] Gracefully, of course. It might be a little demeaning, but it's only right to convey gratitude to those who assist you. [Charisma]
>> No. 139763
Oh right. These are done, I should update that.

Quests-

Escape the Tunnels: Complete, arrived in a former hell.
Self-Discovery: Complete, origins recalled.

>> No. 139765
[x] Accept the offer of help.
-[x] Just nod, and try not to wince too obviously. You're in pain here.

We're still poisoned, right?
>> No. 139767
>>139765
[x] Accept the offer of help.
-[x] Just nod, and try not to wince too obviously. You're in pain here.

That and our Cha stat is terrible.
>> No. 139774
We have a charisma score of 1, and gosh darn it I think we should act like it.

[X] Accept the offer of help.
--"Be grateful I'm letting such a low class creature touch my beautiful body"
>> No. 139778
[x] Accept the offer of help.
-[x] Gracefully, of course. It might be a little demeaning, but it's only right to convey gratitude to those who assist you. [Charisma]

I'm not letting some bloody stats prevent me from voting for showing proper gratitude.

And for the love of god, add some bloody paragraph breaks in next time you write something as long as that diatribe. That was painful.
>> No. 139786
>>139778
It might horribly backfire and offend the fairy.
>> No. 139792
>>139786

This man speaks the truth. Adding paragraph breaks would likely enrage our fairy friend.
>> No. 139800
[x] Accept the offer of help.
-[x] You're in pain. While you're not ungrateful for the hospitality, it would be best not to push yourself past your limits.
-[x] A simple 'thank you' should suffice, at least until you're well enough to do more later.

>>139778
It may be a giant clusterfuck, but that would kind of ruin the point of insane babbling.
>> No. 139810
[x] Accept the offer of help.
-[x] You're in pain. While you're not ungrateful for the hospitality, it would be best not to push yourself past your limits.
-[x] A simple 'thank you' should suffice, at least until you're well enough to do more later.
>> No. 139823
accept
--Gracefully: II
--without ceremony: II
--Write In(simple thanks): II
--Write In(callmeQueen):I

There's some dissent over how to go about this, I see. And nobody's interested in falling out of bed trying to get ahold of the food either, huh. I'll approve the write-ins without adding rolls to them, since one is deliberately avoiding trying anything fancy, and the other seems to be going under the perfectly reasonable assumption that you've already failed the roll.

Well, I know which one I'd have the most fun writing, but I'll wait a little longer, see how this goes.
>> No. 139828
I think you should change "agility" to "grace"

Since agility really is only associated with combat situations.

While power is a more general term that can include strength/constitution/pain tolerance and other sorts of things, agility is kind of a 1 dimensional term.
>> No. 139829
Well I might as well try this out.

[x] Female

[2]Power
[7]Agility
[4]Magic
[5]Perception
[6]Intelligence
[3]Luck
[3]Charisma

[x]Speed-Reading

Hair Color:Dark Brown
Eye Color:Hazel
Name:Lindsey Stevin
>> No. 139830
File 13032586411.jpg - (44.07KB , 275x300 , Time-oblivious-Slowpoke.jpg ) [iqdb]
139830
>>139828

Hm... maybe. It's the same thing, really, but terminology differences. Dexterity would be sort of the same thing too, as would Reflex, or a number of other little words. Agility is sort of a catchall for speed, gracefulness, balance, etc. at the moment. Actually, part of it would be charisma, for grace. Just snatching a falling cup without breaking it, for example, where you could pluck it delicately out of the air before it spills. They're both different applications of agility, but the second one looks better and is more graceful, and so could be argued to require a secondary charisma roll. In which case, failing both means you don't catch the cup, and it smashes, passing agility but failing charisma means you catch the cup but it doesn't look 'elegant', maybe splashing a little something over your fingers, or you grip it awkwardly, or what have you, and succeeding in both nets a perfect success.

Of course, that leads to a huge hassle, where I have to figure out where every little thing that gets done needs multiple rolls, and that would be a huge pain, ending up in a mess where I need to roll six or seven times to see if you choke to death on a mushroom or not. You're more concerned with terminology, though, so while I don't think it really matters what it's called in the long run, I'll take it under advisement. But I don't think grace really fits right either, or you'll end up making Grace rolls to tumble and throw yourself out of the way of stuff, or outrun things, and that doesn't really seem to fit properly either.

Maybe it's a bad term for it, but there's already a bunch of stuff wrapped up in agility, it's not necessarily just a combat thing. If it turns into a huge problem, I guess I could also use different words applying to the same stat, depending on the current situation, but I don't think that'll really be needed.

>>139829

Pic related, my explosively-oriented friend.

---

Elsewhere... I'm thinking I might just roll charisma and if it fails, which it probably will, wrap that one write-in into things and declare that the winner. Hesitating to do so, of course, but I don't just want to leave it sit here indefinitely either. Of course, I could end up rolling a one, and not sure how that would turn out. In any case, I might write it even if it doesn't come out ahead, just for personal non-canon amusement. And I guess I'd let you all read it too. If I must.
>> No. 139832
Aight im changing >>139774 to

[x] Accept the offer of help.
-[x] Gracefully, of course. It might be a little demeaning, but it's only right to convey gratitude to those who assist you.[Charisma]

Charisma is most likely gunna fail, so it breaks the tie, without really changing my vote.

Also, this is your story, so don't feel like you have to use my exact wording.
>> No. 139833
File 130326031637.png - (3.85KB , 165x187 , Charoll.png ) [iqdb]
139833
Delicious~

Writing soon, just have to finish up a couple things.
>> No. 139836
File 130327577648.png - (1.30MB , 1447x1447 , raepface.png ) [iqdb]
139836
For a moment Tabuki considered rebuffing the offer and simply eating on her own. A sharp throbbing sensation and momentary onset of dizziness, however, struck the reality of things home. The worst of the poison seemed to be past, enough that she'd stabilized and was in no immediate danger, at least, but she wasn't at all healed yet. Well, it wasn't like it was her first choice, but she didn't have to be rude about it either.

"Yes... I would be most obliged and beholden to you for any aid you would be competent enough to, and interested in, rendering unto me. In exchange, I would bear no indignation upon allowing my person to be soiled by the touch of one so... rustic, as yourself." She said, calmly but seriously.

The girls eyes glazed over very slowly, and she began to look a little nervous.

"I... I don't... I'm not sure I understand what..." She slowly admitted.

"I apologize." Tabuki said simply. " I shall speak plainer, then, that your comprehension may prove to be somewhat more adequate." She paused and coughed into one hand before continuing, quoting herself, more or less. "'Yes, thank you, I would like some help. I won't get angry if you touch me.'"

The girl froze completely, wings which had been stirring the air almost nonstop since her awakening going suddenly motionless, and Tabuki began to wonder if she had accidentally given some cause for offense.

"... Really..?" The girl asked, seeming mildly stunned.

"Would I have spoken such, were it not in sincerity?" At the lost look in the girl's eyes, Tabuki sighed and continued. "That is to say, 'Yes'?"

The girl... almost squealed in delight, and Tabby was now forced to wonder if something she had said may have been misunderstood somehow.

"Oh... oh that's so nice of you! Usually people get really angry when I touch them, so I was told I couldn't unless they agreed. But if you say it's fine, then..."

She was still smiling as she picked up the bowl of mushy food... and then clambered eagerly up onto the bed, straddling her as she leaned forward, spooning out a small mouthful.

"I-is... do you need to be up here to feed me..?" Tabuki asked, sudden unusual nervousness overriding her typical speech patterns.

"Nope!" The girl said agreeably, yet clearly without any intention of moving. "Now open wide~"

Tabuki awkwardly obeyed, allowing the girl to carefully spoon feed her the mush... it was actually quite good. Some sort of mashed root vegetable stewed in meat broth, a simple dish, but filling enough. She ate peaceably, slowly relaxing from the sudden and thoroughly unexpected intrusion of her personal space, and when she had finished, the girl slid carefully off of her, and set the dish to the side.

And then, a distant, eager look in her eyes, she ripped the blanket off of Tabuki before she had time to react and crawled slowly back on and up her.

"Wh-what are-?"

"Shh~" She hushed her, pressing one finger against her lips, breath starting to become heavier. "I've fed you... and now.. I'm going to touch you, just like you said I could~"

The implications finally hit Tabuki.

"Ah! W-wait, that's-"

'Not at all what I meant', was how she'd intended to continue, except the girl had just interrupted and stilled her tongue with her own, and her hands had begun to slowly, tenderly wander, and oh....

"You're hurt... so I'll be gentle!" The girl promised eagerly, before swooping back in to silence Tabuki's now confused and distracted objections.

After a little while, she began to forget why she was trying to object. Although, that didn't last particularly long either.

---

[ ] "That... that didn't just happen." Calm Denial.
[ ] "That... didn't happen, no..." Mild hysteria.
[ ] "You... you better take responsibility for this!" Confused Indignation.
>> No. 139838
the way you worded that last sentence gives me the impression that the three choices are taking place post-rape.

Is that right? Or am I interpreting it wrong?
>> No. 139839
I didn't feel like bothering with hashing out every single insignificant detail of exactly how the fairy toyed with and teased poor, innocent Tabby's soft, supple body, making her moan and writhe and pant. You'll have to use your imagination, I guess. Good luck with that.

And yeah, this is following the misunderstanding winding down from its climax.
>> No. 139841
[x] "That... that didn't just happen." Calm Denial.
>> No. 139843
Damn who the hell turned on Dante must die difficulty for this CYoA?

failing magic roll = knocked unconsciousness
failing charisma roll = raped

Now i'm afraid to vote for anything with a roll attached to it.

Well...writer said the fairy has low intelligence, so might as well have some fun with her.

[X]try to convince the fairy that you are now pregnant, and that she needs to give you clothes and food to do her part in raising the baby.

I think intelligence can be substituted for charisma here if tabby uses a lot of big words and talks fast.
>> No. 139844
...What? What?

[x] Well, you are injured, and a little pleasure helps relax the body, so...
-[x] Give into the fairy. Let her ravage your tender folds.
>> No. 139845
>>139844
You misunderstand.
>> No. 139848
>>139843
Failing the Charisma roll was expected due to Tabby's pitifully low Cha stat. (Goddamn min-maxers)
>> No. 139849
File 130329554747.png - (230.35KB , 1084x544 , 123928744869.png ) [iqdb]
139849
>>139838
>>139843
>rape
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
>> No. 139851
[x] "You... you better take responsibility for this!" Confused Indignation.

This.
>> No. 139861
>>139843

Eh? When did you fail a magic roll? You've thus far failed a perception roll, causing you to miss something pretty big at the time but ultimately unimportant, an agility roll, which meant you got knocked down and bitten instead of getting away clean and instantly, and now the charisma roll... which would have resulted in just a blank stare and total incomprehension until that write-in happened, and I realized I liked the misunderstanding from that course of events a lot more. No magic rolls have been failed, as far as I recall.

In any case, I'm thinking intelligence is somewhere between 2-3, so that's not actually a completely unfeasible plan. Of course, it's assuming that everyone the fairy knows is of a similar mental capacity.

>>139844

And then Tabuki was a hedonist.

>>139849

Mm, no real ill will involved, and she was eagerly doing everything she could to make sure Tabby enjoyed the experience. It might be considered closer to 'molestation', but no, I think that is the word. Accidental or misunderstood agreement doesn't equal informed consent, really. Kind of splitting hairs, though. Rape is how Haruhi Fairies say hello. What did you think happen when a cloud of nameless fairies shoots down the game protagonist?
>> No. 139876
>>139861

My bad. I assumed:

[x] Activate your ability! Make it-
-[x] -lighter for a moment, so it sails over your head.

was a magic roll since I didn't read the run away part that was also attached to it.

ANYWAY, what's the current status report? hp/mp and all that jazz.
>> No. 139877
Anyway, that's currently two for repression, one for freaking out and immediately trying to find a priest to drag the fairy in front of(in hell), deception write-in, and give-in-to-lust write in. I would just call it and start writing now, except I'm dead on my feet at the moment, and don't currently have enough mental focus to write.

So I'll leave voting open for a while longer too, at least until I've had a breather and eaten something.
>> No. 139878
Oh goddammit, forgot to sage.

>>139876

Anyway, you're currently healing, but you've not had much time to rest yet. Would call health somewhere between 50-55, and magic 30-ish at this point, both slowly filling back up. Still poisoned, but you've stabilized and with it fading, it's not draining health anymore. Still feeling that concussion a little, too. How are you healing so fast? A wizard did it there's probably people who have medical skills or healing magic or something around here somewhere. If you had ended up at the surface, random NPC would have hauled you to Eirin's, but I don't know of anyone like that in hell, so I'll have to either leave it a mystery or introduce another OC I guess.
>> No. 139882
[x] "You... you better take responsibility for this!" Confused Indignation.
>> No. 139883
[x] "You... you better take responsibility for this!" Confused Indignation.
>> No. 139884
[x] "You... you better take responsibility for this!" Confused Indignation.
>> No. 139893
[x] "That... didn't happen, no..." Mild hysteria.
>> No. 139894
Also, I like this CYOA's difficulty. More like Dante will die
>> No. 139898
Oh, what the hell. Part bandwagon, part my own indecisiveness on what to vote for.
[x] "You... you better take responsibility for this!" Confused Indignation.
>> No. 139905
>>139861
>And then Tabuki was a hedonist.
Something wrong with that?
>> No. 139912
Got delayed somewhat, calling it now for confused indignation, writing soonish. Wow, vote focus shifted suddenly.
>> No. 139924
File 130343090881.jpg - (41.25KB , 272x360 , 1128465899_fairy-emerald.jpg ) [iqdb]
139924
Turned out a little different than I was thinking, but that's fine too.

---

There were several long moments of awkward silence. Well, on Tabuki's part, at the least. The fairy seemed to ignore, or simply not grasp, the awkwardness of the moment as she shifted up against her, cuddling.

"Soft.. Feels nice...." She mumbled sleepily.

....

It was actually very- NO NO NO NO NO. This was wrong, her purity had been stolen, she... aaagh. What was she supposed to do now?

No, calm down. She had to calm herself. There had to be some sort of correct course of action, here. There was something she was supposed to do, lying in bed, having been utterly... very thoroughly despoiled, and she only needed a moment more to piece together..

"... I trust you intend to take proper responsibility for this." She said solemnly, uncertain her voice was quite cold enough.

"Resh... mm?"

"Responsibility. For... your actions." Tabuki clarified as best she could.

The fairy remained blank-eyed, not seeming to comprehend, yet, what she was saying.

"... Let me put it in simpler ter-BECAUSE OF YOU, I CAN'T GET MARRIED ANYMORE!" she finished, howling, her patience having reached its limit, startling the fairy into full wakefulness.

"Wh-wha?"

"YOU. ME. PRIEST. NOW." Tabuki babbled desperately, eyes wild.

"I don't under-"

"NOW."

"But you're still hurt, you can't get-"

"RIGHT. NOW."

The confused fairy got up from the bed,and darted off. Tabuki noticed, as she went, that there was no door to the room, as such. Rather, the wall was set on hinges, and it swung gently open to reveal a much... much larger open chamber outside of it. Before it closed again, she caught a glimpse of dozens of other small houses lining the walls of the chamber, and enormous doors set off a ways, clearly built for people much larger in stature.

She didn't notice much more than that, being mostly preoccupied with keeping herself from giving in to the urge to freak out and run away as best she could after setting everything on fire.

Some time later, the wall swung open, and a pink-haired giant looked dispassionately inside.

[ ] "Who are-"
[ ] "Are you a pr-"
[ ] "Big..."


"Ah, forgive me for the intrusion." The woman said immediately. "I'm afraid that I wasn't able to piece together the entire story through the haze of confusion and concern. You aren't much better, but I do believe I have a much clearer picture of the situation, and I thank you for not giving in to your distress in any manner of conflagration. I am Satori, the ruler of the palace of the earth spirits, which you are currently resting in. More specifically, in the Fae Hall, where the vast majority of the staff resides.

I am, in point of fact, not a priest, although now that I understand the request, one shall be arranged shortly. And yes, I do believe I am quite large from your perspective, although conversely, I believe you could in turn be considered unusually small from my own. In any case, I would currently be making arrangements to chastise that girl, however, you seem to have the situation well enough in hand. Hm, no, I suppose you are still injured. Allowances will be made. In any case, this is most unusual. I do not believe there has been a marriage ceremony held here since... well, for a very long time, in any case.

Oh, Oni, and most youkai, aren't particularly fond of traditional vows, preferring looser agreements, and most faerie do not comprehend the concept at all until it is deliberately explained to them, no matter that they generally have lessened inhibitions, to one degree or another. Hm? Oh, yes, she has no idea. I believe she thinks it to be some sort of food, at the moment. No matter. In any case, this discussion has been most illuminating. Please wait patiently, a room should be refitted into a temporary chapel quite quickly. Would you prefer to... yes, bride it is. I'm sure some sort of arrangement can be made for suitable attire."

The wall-door swung shut again, leaving Tabuki at a complete loss for words. Shortly afterward, another pair of giggly winged girls entered, and quickly assisted her in cleaning and getting out of the bed, cleaned, and into a pale pink bridal gown. She would, of course, have preferred white... but it wasn't as though she could honestly claim the purity to be entitled to it any longer. A clearly ornamental, carved and yellowing ivory rod was provided... at a guess, it was a wand of some sort, sized for much larger hands, however it would prove suitable to keep her balance with in case dizziness struck again, no matter what else.

The settled her back down into the bed, then flew both her and it out rather than making her find her own way, seeming to treat the whole thing as a delightful new game as they went, right up to setting her down in a room which was, in fact, almost completely converted to a temporary new function, and buzzing with the activity of fairies just putting the finishing touches on things. She couldn't help but marvel at the efficiency of miss Satori's servants.

She was there too, dressed in a hastily altered, powder blue tuxedo, looking thoroughly nonplussed and uncertain as to what was going on.

"Uh... um, hey..."

"When the priest asks you the question, you say 'I do'. Because if you don't, I'll set you on fire right there. Do I have to repeat myself?" Tabuki said, perfectly serious in every aspect.

"No, I get it. Um... what are we doing?" She asked slowly.

"We're getting married." Tabuki answered simply.

"... What's 'married'?"

"I'll explain later. There should be..." Tabuki paused, and waved over another fairy. "Are they making a cake?"

"Oh, yes! It won't be done for a little while yet, but it's very big."

"You see? There will be cake afterward, and I can explain then."

"Hooray~" The fairy cheered, discomfort with the situation completely forgotten.

Before she had a chance to continue, Tabuki was interrupted by the sound of screeching tires from outside, followed by a couple thumps, and then, very loudly, the sound of someone violently purging the contents of their stomach.

"Hey, hey! Clean-up crew out here, now!" A woman's voice came.

"...too fast.. missing trees and boulders by the merest margins... life flashing before my eyes, twice..." An older, male voice groaned. "My goodness, you've reminded me why I don't generally do favors for youkai..."

"Well, sure, but if you'd refused, I'd have just jumped you from behind, shoved a bag over your head, and you'd have ended up down here anyway."

"That may have been preferable."

The doors opened and a thin old man in a skullcap and robes staggered in, followed shortly after by a red-haired woman in pigtails, and an extra set of cat ears.

"... Ah, you've arrived, father." Tabuki decided on, after a moment of soundless gaping. "That was fast."

"My cart's the fastest in the underworld, I can get to a body and dump it in the fires before it's even cooled if I know where to find it." The woman bragged.

"And technically, I'm merely a friar." The old man picked up. "Further advancement required, hm, rather more stringent vows than I was quite willing to take..."

"He didn't want to give up the girls." The woman clarified helpfully.

"Yes, quite." He agreed. "Fortunately, my particular sect was rather more forgiving of such than most, so long as discretion was adhered to, and even after being, ah, 'spirited away' is, I believe, the term, I do my utmost to keep the faith in all other respects."

Miss Satori arrived while he was speaking and sat down.

"I do believe we are prepared." she interrupted, as the fairies settled the last banner in place. "Shall we begin, Friar Tuck? And please, do desist in imagining us nude. Orin may not mind at all, and I know full well the fairies do not, but I myself find it is somewhat unseemly for a man of the cloth."

"Hm... guilty as charged. My apologies, habit and all that. Let's get started, then."

The friar strode purposefully forward, to where a pulpit was placed, and fairies helped float Tabuki up to a raised pillar, so they could stand more or less eye-level with the man.

"*ahem*. Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to witness the union of these two lovely young ladies into the bonds of holy matrimony..."

The old man trailed off for a moment, a faraway look in his eye, until Satori coughed sharply.

"Friar. I'll thank you to cease contemplating the nuptials and concentrate yourself on the matter at hand." She said sternly.

"Ah... oh my, yes. My apologies, at my age the mind does tend to wander at the least provocation. In any case, I'm given to understand that you are in something of a rush, and there is cake to be had, so there will be no offense if I pare this down to an abbreviated version?"

"That would be fine." Tabuki interrupted, before the fairy had a chance to speak up.

"Indeed, then. In that case... do you, miss...?" He paused, and stared expectantly at the fairy.

".... Oh! My name is Emerald Vine!" the fairy answered cheerily, once she'd figured out that she was being asked something.

"Do you, miss Vine, take this young woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

"I'm still not sure what-" Tabuki interrupted by silently igniting a small patch of air in front of them for the briefest of moments, accentuated by the quiet 'fwumph' sound it made. "-I mean of course I do, don't be silly, why else would I be here, ahahaha..."

The friar nodded, clearly pretending he hadn't seen the fairly blatant intimidation and coercion.

"And you, miss.."

"Tabuki Vivipary." She answered without hesitation.

"Yes, miss Vivipary. Do you take miss Vine to be...your lawfully wedded wife?" He decided on, after a moment of indecision."

"Of course."

"Very well. That's settled, and by the power invested in me by virtue of being the most open-minded of perhaps three priests and friars in all of Gensokyo, unless one of those hidebound old men managed to get themselves killed and/or eaten since we last spoke, in which case good riddance, I do pronounce you wife, and... ah, wife. You may kiss the bride."

"Okay!"

---

The cake is wheeled in, and people have begun to separate into groups and have started chattering idly amongst themselves.

Tabuki-

[ ] Thanks Satori for her cooperation in person, and speaks to her.
[ ] Speaks with the friar.
[ ] Speaks with Orin.
[ ] Speaks with her wife.
[ ] Speaks with a random fairy or two.
[ ] Speaks with the big bird-woman who wandered in at some point.
[ ] Speaks with nobody in particular, just eats cake quietly.

About-
[ ] The Underground.
[ ] The palace of the Earth Spirits specifically.
[ ] Gensokyo in general.
[ ] Religion.
[ ] Magic.
[ ] Simple idle banter.
[ ] Someone in particular: ______
[ ] Something in particular: ---------
[ ] Nothing, just heads off to get rested and healthy.

Explain marriage to the fairy-
[ ] Now.
[ ] Go back to the 'house' first, explain in privacy.

Optional-
[ ] Take a closer look at that ivory stick. Seems funny somehow. [Magic]

Inventory-
Pale pink wedding gown (On Loan)- Looks good on you. Made of cheap fabric. Value: Worth a little.
Ivory wand/staff (On Loan)- Keeps you from falling over. Value: Not worth much?
Wife- Useful in many situations. Value: REDACTED


Also, influence mechanics and explanations incoming, in another post.
>> No. 139925
So, influence. Short explanation, it's how much people like or don't like you. What you do can affect that, on a sliding scale of zero: 'hates you with a passion and wants you to die right now', to one hundred, which is the exact opposite, though most people will start neutral towards you, or right at fifty. The best way to influence how someone sees you is generally their first impression of you: you have a window of time from meeting them in which any gains or reductions to the score is amplified.

So, for example, Satori is more or less neutral towards you right now, while Emerald really likes you, because of the little misunderstanding right when you woke up.

Simple rundown: 0=KILL YOU, 1-20=Hates you, 21-40=doesn't like you, 41-49=mildly dislikes you, 50=perfect neutrality, 51-59=likes you a little, 60-79=likes you, 80-99=Really likes you, 100=LOVES YOU MORE THAN ANYTHING, AAH.

Both extremes might be best avoided, but it's hard to get to them. It's easier for you to lose an influence point than gain it, the further up the scale you go, and vice versa.

Anyway, currently:

Influence:

Emerald: 90
Satori: 50
Orin: 53
Tuck: 55
Okuu: 50


So, named peeps are pretty neutral-ish towards you so far, except the loving waifu, who got a huge boost right off the bat, because *She's a fairy and pretty easily swayed to begin with, being not-that-bright and all, *Back-story, *miscellaneous factors, including the boost from that being your first impression.

Anyway, this is a good bit of what charisma rolls are for, though it does have other effects. And as you've already noted, sometimes succeeding the roll may not be the better option, influence wise at least. Of course, that's by no means the only way to shift influence, but that varies from person to person. Example: you'd likely find Patchouli, who favors Magic over pretty much anything else, easier to get along with than Yuugi or Suika, who are Power people, just for a start.

And talky-time's more or less done now, get voting~
>> No. 139927
[X] Thanks Satori for her cooperation in person, and speaks to her.
--[X]be sure to apologize to her for not getting the consent of the parents before marrying her fairy
--[X]ask about the underground
[X] make sure the friar isn't checking out our ass
[X]talk to big bird
[X]It's my wedding dammit, nobody is going to be offended if I eat 3 slices of my own cake.

[X] Go back to the 'house' first, explain in privacy.

[X]examine the ivory stick[magic]
>> No. 139931
....wut..?
[X]examine the ivory stick[magic]
>> No. 139933
[x] Thanks Satori for her cooperation in person, and speaks to her.

About-
[x] The Underground.
[x] The palace of the Earth Spirits specifically.
[x] Gensokyo in general.
[x] Magic.

[x] Talk with the Wife
-[x] General discussion

Explain marriage to the fairy-
[x] Go back to the 'house' first, explain in privacy.
-[x] Have some fun of your own.
Optional-
[x] Take a closer look at that ivory stick. Seems funny somehow. [Magic]
>> No. 139949
*Is vaguely vexed by lack of much response.* Oh well.

Anyway, will leave off on calling it for a while yet, don't want to start writing right now. When I do, however, I'll roll up all the votes together, and make a post with 'all of the above', only with more focus on the people and subjects with more votes. Well, unless theres a sudden turnabout, anyway, and everyone decides the best option is to go 'fuck everything, eat cake silently and go home, don't need no talky-sequence'.
>> No. 139953
>>139949
when you do various branching choices, most voters are stuck or thinking of something nice. Usually best to keep things on the simple side.
>> No. 139954
>>139949
I was a bit peeved that my vote, which I thought was going to spawn a short comedic sequence, a cute reaction or something caused the main character to IMMEDIATELY get married to a fairy (who apparently now is a character) (??), so I'm a bit reluctant to vote on anything.
>> No. 139955
What the fuck did I just read?

My God, I'm really hoping this is some sort of Alice in Wonderland dream.

[x] All of the above in whatever way you can make it work.
-[x] So long as it's comprehensible.
>> No. 139961
File 130355769211.jpg - (24.52KB , 314x310 , demons.jpg ) [iqdb]
139961
>>139949

well I'm glad you choose to take bold actions with your story. I'm sick of all the good stuff turing into "drinking tea in Gensokyo" stories.

As for the lack of votes...I dunno, maybe
some of your readers are Christian.
>> No. 139967
>Update
I lol'd.

[x] Thanks Satori for her cooperation in person, and speaks to her.
About-
[x] The Underground.
[x] The palace of the Earth Spirits specifically.
[x] Magic.

Explain marriage to the fairy-
[x] Now.

Optional-
[x] Take a closer look at that ivory stick. Seems funny somehow. [Magic]

Gained: Reader 1 ea
>> No. 139968
File 130357655232.png - (325.94KB , 335x501 , homo-sex-is-sin-sational.png ) [iqdb]
139968
Forgot mi pic
>> No. 139971
Hmm, now we have a wife. That was fast, I like it!

[X] Speaks with her wife.
[x] The palace of the Earth Spirits specifically.
[x] Go back to the 'house' first, explain in privacy.
>> No. 139972
[x] Thanks Satori for her cooperation in person, and speaks to her.
About-
[x] The Underground.
[x] The palace of the Earth Spirits specifically.
[x] Magic.

Explain marriage to the fairy-
[x] Now.

I must admit that I was kinda surprised by the "marry with a fairy" deal, but... why not?
Let's be a good husband wife.
>> No. 139975
I think tabby should roll a perception check to make sure the cake isn't a lie
>> No. 140027
>Spent the weekend reading.
>Go to update, realize haven't written anything.
>Facepalm.

So, anyway, yeah. Post might be delayed a bit, and in any case there's a tie to break on whether to explain in privacy or to gain strength in numbers, possibly getting the bystander's 'help' with the explanation. Well, if it comes down to it I'll just flip a coin, anyway.
>> No. 140147
>>140027

just combine the two. tabby can explain while on the way to the room, that way a few people can get a word in, but most of the conversation will take place in private.
>> No. 140707
File 13047459959.jpg - (314.28KB , 1054x1188 , 9d9e2d04b0408a4d068a516fb6c341c5a0790c6b.jpg ) [iqdb]
140707
Tabuki was sagging with relief from finally getting it all smoothed out. Safely wed... well, effectively being 'used goods' no longer mattered at that point. Such thoughts fled as there arose a clattering at the doors, and the fairies started to cheer unanimously. Ah. The cake was finished, then. The doors creaked open... and a comparatively huge wheeled tray was rolled in, on which there sat an ornate silver platter.

Upon which there was absolutely nothing.

In spite of this, the fairies seemed delighted, floating around and above the platter, larger ones passing knives slowly through the air, appearing to lever wedges of something onto plates as varyingly sized as the girls themselves... one was handed off to her, and she simply stared as everyone laughed soundlessly, the buzz of idle chatter, indistinct and formless, filling the room.

For a moment, she picked up the fork and stared at the plate, trying to make sense of it. Maybe... maybe it was an invisible cake? A few halting shifts brought the fork around, searching for anything, even as she realized the truth.

This cake. It was a l-

"Are you alright?"

Tabuki snapped awake, having nodded off even while still standing, and realized she was starting to lean dangerously to the side. She stumbled slightly, righting herself, and leaned back into the wand.

"Fine... I'm fine. Just all the excitement catching up to me, I guess." She groaned softly. Emerald stepped in, seeming concerned, and helped to support her from the other side. Tabuki decided to ignore the hand that had idly landed on her posterior, in so doing. "J-just... get me to a chair, I'll be fine."

The chairs... that was a point of interest all on its own. Any number of them had been moved into the room, completely mismatched, and of all shapes and sizes. At a guess, it could only be for the accommodation of the fairies, as the cake was slices up and divided, set on plates just as wildly different in size. The largest of the fairies sat at the main table, where Satori and the other big people... normal-sized people, rather, sat, though they didn't always quite fit the chairs and a number had discreetly settled boxes and books into their seats, feet dangling well above the ground. They scaled down from there, tables getting smaller and smaller until the final, smallest table, was set directly on top of the first and largest one, toward the center. That was where Emerald settled her gently down. After a minute, a plate of wedding cake was settled down in front of her.

She let it sit for the moment, not really trusting her fingers to manipulate utensils at the moment.

"Ah... miss Satori. I'd like-"

"-To thank me for playing along and aranging all this, yes, it was no trouble."

Tabuki blinked, not sure how in the world he would ever get used to that.

"Um, yes..." She mumbled, before shaking it off. "Ah. Would you-"

"-like to talk? I suppose. There's close to half dozen little things flitting through your mind right now that you want to speak about... Hm, rude? I suppose it is, somewhat, not to wait for you to finish verbalizing. It's simply so... inefficient. But very well, I will endeavor to allow you speech before I respond."

"Thank you." Tabuki replied gratefully, taking a moment to gather her thoughts.

"The rest of us thank you as well." Tuck chuckled. "Those one sided conversations are the devil to listen to, even if you're not taking direct part."

Satori frowned slightly, but simply continued nibbling at a slice of cake as she waited.

"... I will comment that, once you were no longer distressed, your mind seems fascinatingly neat and orderly."

"... Uh, thank you for the compliment?" Tabuki hazarded, before continuing. "In any case... the best place to begin would likely be the local environs. Please, it would be much appreciated if you would tell me details in this regard, most specifically the Palace itself, as that is most likely your greatest area of familiarity, and in a somewhat broader sense, the underground as a whole and Gensokyo in its general entirety. Um... it would be much appreciated if you composed your statements under the assumption that my own knowledge in this regard is minimal, as though I had lived a particularly cloistered life, or slept for the past hundred years or so."

"Hm... a reasonable request. I would assume you only recently underwent full transmogrification from your previous state to full sentient sapience and unaided animation, then."

"I... have memories of the time before, but you are for the most part correct in that suspicion."

".... You used to be a boy?" Emerald asked, in clear incomprehension.

"No, dear." Satori gently chided. "But that is entirely beside the point. In any case, to begin, Gensokyo, the sealed land, is a place to which Youkai began gathering at some point, around a particular village. Perhaps this was because the village in question was notorious for its number and quality of its youkai hunters, or perhaps the reverse was the case, that the number and quality of their defenses improved in direct response to the youkai increase. The exact details of the matter are, I am afraid, lost to time. In any case, at some point, the outside world's magic began to slowly drain away. The humans had not yet begun to notice, and would not for some time, but for youkai the difference was almost immediately apparent."

Satori paused and waved over a cup of tea before continuing.

"Naturally, something would have to be done, as while Youkai could, in general, live even in environs thoroughly devoid of magic, it would not be at all pleasant. As a stopgap measure, they flooded the area surrounding that village in even greater numbers than before. And at this point the story differs. Youkai contend that they manipulated the humans into giving them exactly what they want, while the humans insist that they acted of their own volition, sacrificing the village in order to be rid of the vast bulk of the youkai threat in one swoop. if the first was correct, then it was far more cohesive, cunning intelligence than one typically expects from the majority of youkai these days, individiual exceptions notwithstanding. If the latter, then not only was the attempt a failure in most respects, but in some it completely and entirely backfired."

Satori shrugged idly.

"In any case, the end result was the initial rise of the Hakurei Barrier, completely sealing away the mystic lands of Gensokyo, capturing the magic of the area within, like a bubble. Were it to break, then Gensokyo would spill forth for a sort time before the magic dispersed, like water splashed onto desert sands. And since the outside world has moved on, even the humans would have difficulty reintigrating, so in general it's agreed that it's best the barrier remain. Of course, the barrier is at this point semi-permeable enough that many Youkai can simply pass through and pick up a human from the outside should they feel the absolute need to devour one, so conditions between them have lowered from the previous state of rampant hostility to a wary sort of mutual respect. Almost nobody gets killed and eaten inside the Barrier these days. In any case it has been quite some time since I last viewed the surface, so I'm afraid all I'm familiar with are the most notable landmarks, the main Human Village itself, and the Hakurei shrine. A second shrine has made its way into Gensokyo, I'm told, however I'm unclear as to exact location other than 'somewhere on the mountain'.

As for the underground, I know somewhat more, but there is actually somewhat less to tell. This place... it used to be used as a literal outpost of Hell, famed for the torment its fire chambers could be brought to inflict upon the souls of unrepentant sinners. For this reason, it was termed 'the Hell of Blazing Fires'. For various reasons, however, it fell somewhat into disuse and while we contain a vast number of evil spirits even now, we are no longer an official Hell. The vast majority of the living population are, however, Oni, who generally prefer living underground, and Youkai for whom life aboveground became an issue, for whatever reason. Terrifying power, or indiscriminate personalities, or such things. There is a treaty with the surface Youkai, however, that as long as those sent down here remain down here, they will not interfere in our dominion. A sort of mutual separation. Rin, of course, became a Youkai in the underground, and so is not technically bound by these restrictions, which leaves her free to pursue the occasional errand on the surface, such as fetching the good Friar. Utsuho would be much the same, however a matter arose which culminated in something of a bothersome situation, and special clauses were afterwards written into the treaty specifically relating to her as an individual."

"They didn't have to bother with that." The bird-winged woman grumbled around a mouthful of cake. "I'd already agreed not to blow them all up. Besides, if I'd overpowered the blast enough, they wouldn't have even felt anything, just a bright flash and 'poof'~"

"I can't imagine why they felt the precaution neccessary." Satori dryly responded. "In any case, Orin is generally much more dependable and willing to be sent on tasks than the Oni, wo also aren't bound by the treaty. Moving along, there are... perhaps a half dozen passages linking the surface of Gensokyo to the underground, though more than half of those require a traveler to navigate a warren of labyrinthine caverns and tunnels, in which the unwary could spend hundreds of years walking and never find an exit. The main passage, though, is reasonably straight and unobstructed and has no side-passages whatsoever. There are no real landmarks, however, until the Great Bridge, beyond which is the Ancient Underground City, where we are now. I'm afraid I don't go out much, however, so I know little about the attractions save in a general sense, shops and eateries and many many houses. And, of course, there's always an Oni party and brawl happening somewhere. In most cases, though not always, they are the same event. Warnings that should be issued, however... Oni drink is strong, and if you can't hold your liquor you may end up making a fool of yourself. However, if you refuse to drink, some may decide to take it as an insult. Keep that in mind, should you find yourself in a situation where it becomes relevant. Also, as this is underground, certain goods will cost more to purchase here, should you feel the need at some point to purchase knicknacks. Wood, in particular, is much more expensive than on the surface, as to a lesser degree are the majority of plant-based items not related to mushrooms, moss, lichens, or other species that do not strictly require light. However, precious stones, metals, and carvings fashioned from rock are much more easy to come by here, and so generally go at a lesser price than you would find on the surface. Lastly, you may occasionally see Zombie Fairies. They are not at all harmless, despite Orin's occasional attempt to put them to thematic effect-"

"I've mostly given up on that. They're useless at Danmaku, and really slow besides, not to mention they'll try to get bitey on ya if they can." The girl chimed in.

"Yes, quite. In any case, they are, as I said, not harmless at all, despite being slow, stupid, and almost completely incapable of any sort of ranged attack." Satori continued. "If one catches you off guard, however, while their bite will not cause you to become a zombie yourself, as some contend, it will be excruciatingly painful and highly likely to become infected. They may be something more of a threat to you than, for example, someone of Okuu's size. Don't worry about killing them if you have to, in spite of things, they are still fairies and will re-spawn after a little while as though nothing had ever happened to begin with."

".... They would respawn as zombies?" Tabuki asked, just for clarification.

"Yes."

"But.... that makes no sense at-"

"I assure you it does, however to verbally explain exactly how would require at minimum four months, with no breaks for food, sleep, or other such things. In general, it's simply accepted that that's how it works, and none pry too deeply into the actual mechanics. But moving along, that is my limit of helpful advice regarding the underground, I am afraid. As to my home in specific... there is really no detailed history to the palace of the earth spirits, I am afraid. It is simply where I live. My power, the ability to read the thoughts of others... unsettles many, particularly those with the fewest, least interesting thoughts, for whatever reason. A number of Oni approached me and agreed to build it for me, to my specifications and of the materials I requested, provided that it be situated a small distance away from the city proper. It was an agreeable trade, as it cost me nothing in the way of monetary recompense, and so I was able to have them fashion the palace of solid slabs of stone, rather than thin planks of wood. Had I been required to pay, lumber would, of course, have been initially cheaper, as vastly less of it would have been required to initially erect the housing, but would have proven more expensive in the long run as patches wore down and had to be replaced. As The agreement was only for the initial construction, and any repairs or maintenance would have to be paid for, it was only logical to go with the more durable option, though I fear the consensus at the time was that the choice had been made specifically to cause more work for the Oni. In any case, there are a number of rooms. Some are used for storage, others to house my pets, and many more still lie vacant even now, waiting for something to fill them. There is, of course, also the main hall, the kitchens, the Library, and the bedchambers for myself and..."

Satori trailed off for a moment before continuing.

"... And another which currently remains unoccupied and undisturbed. Behind the palace is a vent to one of the largest fire chambers, where Okuu and Orin spend much of there time, and inside there is another opening to a... Nuclear Power Generation Facility, I believe, where Okuu is technically required to spend much of her time, for various reasons."

"Oh, I don't mind. I enjoy using my power more than almost anything. It's more fun to let it all go in a big 'KAROOOSH-MMPF' or a flare that goes 'PPVVRRRRRRRRRRRR~', but I'm not really allowed to do that too often, anymore. Usually. Unless stuff happens that I can't remember right now, in which case I can blast the bad guys with Full Power, as the masked, uh... wait, no, I don't have a mask. Oh, right, no, that was that comic book the snake-goddess's shrine lady lent me..."

"Hm. Well, was there anything else you wished to know?" Satori continued blithely, even as Okuu crinkled her nose in deep thought, seeming to be trying to force memory-neurons to spark and conect by simple willpower.

Tabuki thought for a moment before deciding on a topic.

"Ah, Friar Tuck... You mentioned you were one of only a few priests in Gensokyo... is it not particularly religious, or is it simply that there's so small of a population that there is no need for..."

"Oh, a bit of one, half a dozen of the other, but mostly you're barking up the wrong tree entirely my dear." The friar answered cheerily. "There are actually a great number of people in Gensokyo, mostly in the main village, but with some scattered outposts here and there. For the most part, they actually are fairly religious, it's simply that... well, they adhere to their own religions. I suppose it helps their popularity that, if they want to go to the trouble, they can usually simply travel to wherever the god of their choice lives, and have a pleasant chat, rather than devote themselves to prayer and hope they are heard. Or that if they get a little anxious about what comes after, there's ways to get in touch with the people who run the local afterlives, and the lady in charge of Judging the deceased will occasionally stop by for a quick chat if she thinks someone is going too far off of the straight-and-narrow... As for the three people I mentioned, including myself, well... for the most part, our flock includes only those which were of our religion before finding themselves in Gensokyo, and that numbers something like, hm, perhaps three dozen worshippers between us. Sadly, many find it simpler to direct their faith to Gods which can be seen and conversed with, and at times are not averse to calling down a blatant miracle. Though... well, it's not as though I personally bear a grudge over it. I've always been rather more moderate than my fellows, and I understand that the faith of worshippers is the sort ofsustenance that they require simply to continue to exist at all, and there are only so many people to derive that faith from in Gensokyo..."

Tuck 'hmm'ed contemplatively to herself for a moment.

"... I will admit, of course, that it does raise some... doubts, in the mind, when you consider that these gods are fighting for every worshipper they can get ahold of, and are more than willing to use the faith they have mustered to keep and protect its providers... when those worshipped outside, in general... hm, it cannot simply be that gods also require Magic to exist, as until recently a pair of the most powerful actually lived in the outside world themselves. Perhaps it's an issue of the quality of the faith, or... ah, excuse me, I seem to have meandered off topic, if miss Satori's dull stare is of any indication. In any case, as I said, I am the most moderate of the three, but I'm afraid there are only three regulars to my sermons. On the opposite end of the spectrum from myself is Gabriel LaCroix. He, hm... well, he would have fit in very well in the crusades, I suspect. Very big fixations on the smitings, and fire and brimstone. A terribly confrontational fellow. Strangely enough, that seems to be what people want from their preacher, as roughly two thirds of our religion are numbered in his particular sect. They'll occasionally make a nuisance of themselves with the locals... head out in numbers on what amounts to a tiny crusade of their own. For the most part, Youkai don't really pay them much heed, as it's terribly difficult for them to die, and the fairies generally come back to life on their own after a little while, so there's no permanent physical harm done, there... of course, they know better, these days, than to meddle in the affairs of 'Heritics', who are protected by their own gods, or human 'witches', or those who willingly 'consort with devils', which can be anything so simple as sharing the occasional cup of tea once or twice a year, with a brief chat."

" Heard about a couple of those through the grapevine. Marisa blasted 'em good." A nearby fairy piped up in amusement. "Nothing fatal, though. But, um, Yuka wasn't nearly so kind when she heard they'd been harassing and tearing up the flower garden of this one person she'd started giving tips to. Oh boy was she mad..."

"Yes, well, let us just say that Gabriel's flock was once considerably larger than it currently is. Leaving him and myself aside, there remains Richard Wellington, somewhere in between our extremes, leading the prayers of the remainder. He is not so moderate as myself, loathes 'the unnatural' with a passion, despite that fairies and youkai, in some respects, are elements of nature. However, unlike Gabriel, he very firmly understands that if it is brought down to a fight between us and the rest of Gensokyo, we will lose... and in that respect, he is much less approving of anyone giving cause for such a fight to be started than Gabriel is. He will even, when necessary, speak to 'the enemy' himself, though he makes no attempt to temper his opinion, or pretend to be friendly. As for those not of my religion specifically... well, I'm afraid I have to admit I don't know much in that regard. Just that there are two shrines, one of which is part and parcel of the Border itself, and the other on Youkai Mountain, where the majority of the gods choose to dwell."
>> No. 140708
File 130474615851.png - (641.99KB , 718x822 , afe413cd3e7f2d517239d99bdc19bc47a53fde79.png ) [iqdb]
140708
"Ah... yes, thank you. That was actually rather more than I had expected."

"Oh, don't be shy dear. If you thought I was blathering on, you should have said so, and I'd have been happy to change the subject. Though, I will admit that there is usually little call for a western-style marriage these days, much less for me in specific to perform it, though I very much doubt you could have talked even Richard into it..."

"Ah!" Emerald said, sitting up as though she had just recalled something. "Theres that word again! I still don't know what it means..."

"Um... well, Marriage is... that is to say, it's a sacred..." Tabuki stumbled over her words, and glanced around desperately, having hoped to have had more time to fashion her response to that question, but was unwilling to put it off a second time.

"You're married to Tabby now. It means ya can't fuck anyone else." Orin helpfully... albeit crudely, assisted. A sharp look from Satori silenced her, and after noting Emerald's vaguely stricken and betrayed look, she took up the explanation.

"That was a terrible way to put it, and not strictly complete. Marriage is defined as 'the legal or religious ceremony that formalizes an agreement between two people to live together as a wedded couple, including accompanying social festivities'. In many places and religions, the act of physical intimacy outside of marriage is heavily Taboo, and can afterwards lead to panic at the realization, a desire to make the situation legitimate rather than outside of boundaries, and the coercion of an agreement from one's partner, in a forced marriage. It seems that Tabuki was heavily struck by all three, being... somewhat religious herself."

"Really?" Tuck asked, seeming interested in this bit of news. "Ah, that is unusual. Should I expect you to join my congregation at some point?"

"Ah... I don't know." Tabuki admitted. "I mean, I do remember, foggily, being regularly taken to church... but that was before I..."

"Before you assumed full existence and cognization, that is." Satori agreed, nodding slightly. "And so, the memories were just engrained enough to take, but you yourself are not particularly certain of your personal religious belief aside that you are far more comfortable and relieved now that your marriage has been solidified. And I am psycho-analyzing you, dear, not simply reading your mind, although I did say I would allow you to pose questions verbally, didn't I. I apologize for that. But moving along... Rin was not strictly correct in her summation, as I mentioned. It would be more accurately phrased as 'you cannot engage in physical intimacy with someone without Tabuki's permission', I believe."

Emerald looked very much relieved by that qualifier.

"Oh. I still don't think I really get it, but okay. I already have to get permission from other people before I touch them, now I just have to get it from Tabby too!"

"That's.... okay, yes, let's go with that." Tabuki half-heartedly agreed. "It's more or less right, anyway. Could you not call me that, though?"

"Call you what, Tabby?" The fairy asked blankly.

"Yes, that."

".... Uh?" The fairy said, confused.

"... never mind." Tabuki groaned softly rubbing at a temple, before she straightened up and started thinking about another topic to move things to. "So... I don't suppose you know anything about magic?"

"I'm afraid I'll have to remain outside of this conversation." Tuck said quickly. "While I have nothing against it personally, it's still technically against the precepts of my religion, and so I'm afraid i'd be of no help at all."

"That's true." Satori said calmly. "In any case, that depends on why you want to know. I know already, of course... but verbalise it."

Tabuki remained silent for a long moment.

"I... have a lot of magical talent." She finally said. "I can force things to happen, just by wanting them to hard enough. But I don't have any knowledge. I don't really know what I'm doing when I do it, you understand. It just... clicks, and it all happens on instinct, and.. there's a little I can do without using magic, that I can only tell isn't because making things lighter or heavier doesn't... drain the way making fire appear to consume things, or twisting stone to flow like water does. What I need is to learn..."

"Indeed. Your current methods are excessively wasteful. In any case, I do have a number of books that may be of assistance in my library, but the best way to learn is from a teacher who knows more than you do. I know of three notable magicians on the surface..."

"Oh. There's nobody here?" Tabuki asked.

"Eh... Oni aren't big on magic." Orin piped up. "Might be someone we don't know about in the youkai that'd be willing to teach you... but I doubt it. There's me too, but I'm, uh, kind of limited in repertoire." She admitted. "If you want to work with fire or dead things or both then I can pass along a thing or two... anything else and I'm kind of out of my depth."

Tucks nose crinkled a bit in slight disgust at the mention of 'working with dead things', but he deliberately ignored it. For her part, Orin's brow had furrowed as she thought deeply about something.

"Well... I guess there's also..."

"That's not really a feasible idea, Orin. I'm not entirely sure it's even possible, given current conditions. Or that she'd be at all willing to teach, in these conditions or better." Satori interjected.

Okuu's eyes lit up with recognition.

"Oh! You're talking about that one evil-"

"Yes, Okuu. We're talking about her. And I never said it was a great idea, I'm just getting the option out there." Orin admitted.

"In any case, she's under some guard, because unlike the others, which only get loose if a way is shoved right in their face, so to speak, she actually plans out and makes actual attempts at escape from her confinements. It's not a prudent suggestion, and even managing to speak to her will likely be difficult." Satori pointed out.

"Yeah, sure. In the mean time, quick test. You think there's anything odd about that wand, girl?"

"It's magic. I can tell that much. Did you want something more in-depth?"

"Nah, that's fine." Orin said, waving the offer off. "Was just curious if you could tell, since you've apparently 'got talent'."

Tabuki sensed that the cat-woman held some level of disbelief. Not much, but enough to indicate a hint of doubt... not that she had any talent at all, but doubt that she had the level of ability she'd suggested. She could, of course, let it go by...

... Except, no, she couldn't.

"It will only take a moment." She said stiffly, shifting the wand about to look properly at it. And then... without quite being sure how she was doing so, she looked, both at it and into it, taking note of the patterns of magical threads floating into and through and around it, culminating in a nexus at the very tip.

"That's interesting... whatever it does, tip is the focal point. No way to immediately determine wwhat that is visually. Have to test it. Probably a key word to activate or deactivate it, but I don't know that, so I'll have to brute force the activation..." she mumbled to herself, and Orin frowned slightly.

She shifted the wand again, to be sure the tip was pointing away from anyone, and after taking a deep breath, twisted at her magic, forcing just a tiny splinter out, small enough that she didn't really even notice it was gone, and threaded it into the workings of the wand's own magics, tying and linking... and, with no fanfare, the connection having been put in place, the tip of the wand lit up with a soft blue glow.

"... 'Kay, so you do have some talent." Orin admitted with a sullen pout.

"The wand was among the effects scavenged from the corpse of a wanderer who had gotten lost in the warrens of one of the tunnels leading to the surface." Satori said dryly. "it was immediately apparent that it was magical... but I'm afraid that Orin is the most magically apt of us, and she never managed to get it to work."

"Lady Satori, you don't have to admit that..." Orin whined. "And anyway, I already said I don't know much about things that aren't burning, a corpse, or a burning corpse. It's not my fault."

"Of course not." Satori easily agreed, mollifying her pet somewhat. "Though, I'll note now that since youve mentioned there does seem to be a verbal activation word or phrase, you should be able to change it to something of your choosing, and afterwards activate and deactivate it without having to drain your own magical reserves to do so. There should be a book or two in the library that will help you begin there, and if you do it then I will allow you to either keep the wand, or repay you for the service with a small monetary reward."

"Ah, really?" Tabuki asked, interested. With a thought, she released her hold on the magic she'd stuffed into the wand and it dispersed, the glow almost immediately going away as it did. "That would be kind of you..."

Satori nodded idly and took another small bite of cake, leaving Tabuki to think about any line the conversation might be continued on.

"... So..." She said awkwardly. "has anything interesting happened recently, or is something going to happen soon?"

"You mean aside from you?" A fairy cheekily piped up. "Not much."

"Oh, the Court Wars are due to start soon, though." another pointed out.

"What, really?" The first responded. "I'd have thought it would be at least another decade..."

"Yeah, but some of the stronger fae have gotten bored recently. A War would keep them entertained for a while, so it could really start up at any time."

"Hm... I guess you're right, there. Though, we probably won't end up involved much, as there's not much we have down here that any surface fae would want and couldn't get easier up there."

"That aside..." Satori said, once the back and forth had died down. "There's also an oni festival planned in a few months. Not just a party, I've mentioned there's always one of those happening, but a big festival. Every Oni that can get involved in any way, will. I suppose it's very unlikely that anyone who ventures into the grounds will leave sober, and with all their money."

"Eh, aside from the festival I have nothing." Orin admitted.

"I'm afraid that I'm in much the same predicament. Currently, I don't know that any large events are scheduled on the surface... though, of course, I wouldn't neccessarily know everything that's going on." Tuck said.

"Oh!"Okuu piped up. "One of the kappa did something the other day, and now the process of gathering energy from my Fusion is 23.57 percent more efficient than it was before!" She gushed. "I didn't really get how they did it, but that was really interesting!"

A moment passed without anyone offering anything further, and Tabuki nodded.

"So, a war and a festival, soonish? Thank you, those both do sound pretty interesting..."

She'd extended conversation long enough, though. It was time for another slice of cake now.

---

Is there anything else Tabuki wants to talk about, or discuss in more depth? She's starting to tire, so there's only really time for one brief line of conversation more.

[ ] (Write-in.)
[ ] No, she's mentally exhausted. Time for sleep.

Inventory-
Pale pink wedding gown (On Loan)- Looks good on you. Made of cheap fabric. Value: Worth a little. Slightly more underground.
Ivory wand/staff (On Loan)- Keeps you from falling over. Magical, can create light. Value: Holds some value for collectors or magical hobbyists. Worth less to real magicians, who can just make their own.
Wall of Text- Value-???

Current Influence:

Emerald: 90
Satori: 52
Orin: 54
Tuck: 52
Okuu: 51

>> No. 140717
[x] "Could you give me more details about those three four magicians and how can I reach them?"
>> No. 140779
File 13049633337.jpg - (232.59KB , 453x640 , c6b7d9121560aaf81bfd3d281bc1127579e5da91.jpg ) [iqdb]
140779
Hm, I guess that's all? Go unanimity. In the middle of being stomped all over by finals, though, so since I can't really write at the moment it doesn't make sense to just call it. I'll just leave things as-is for now, then.
>> No. 140995
File 130530823734.jpg - (254.38KB , 818x1162 , 32d3d26cb945f10b71ff5a361a6ee1c5735f1082.jpg ) [iqdb]
140995
Tabuki's eyelids had begun to droop, but she forced them back up again as she considered the most important point of the conversation. Commerce was fine and dandy, and while that War and Festival had been kind of interesting, there was only one bit that had stood out in her mind as having precious, immediate value to her situation.

"These... four, magicians? Is there anything else you can tell me about them, at all?"

"Marisa Kirisame came from the surface, in a blaze of chaos and property devaluation." Satori answered simply, and didn't seem inclined to continue. Tuck followed up.

"She is know most for her... boisterous nature, cheerful attitude, tendency towards shameless theft, and the highly destructive nature of her magics." He stated, in clear disapproval. "She does pitch in to assist in dealing with the more major sort of incidents, I am given to understand, but primarily due to the fact that the widespread chaos involved with such ventures mask her looting particularly well. I... am reliably informed that she lives somewhere in the forest of Magic..."

"Good luck finding her place if you can't fly, though." A fairy chirped eagerly. "Forest is never the same twice. Paths move around, streams shift course, trees get up and take a walk overnight... doesn't help that some of our sisters make a point of playing tricks on people that wander through their areas, illusions and stuff. Stuff usually stays in the same general area though, except when there's a major shift. About six months ago, the whole forest ended up on the other side of Gensokyo for a week, before it got bored and moved back to its old spot."

"Yes, that's what I had heard of it as well." Tuck concurred. "In any case, simply finding her will be difficult enough, and I'm afraid I couldn't say anything as to her willingness to take pupils."

"The other two surface magicians are... Alice Margatroid and Patchouli Knowledge. I spied their names in Marisa's mind when we spoke, and they seemed to have a long-range magical communication of some sort."

"Ah, I've heard something of miss Margatroid." Tuck noted. "I believe she lives in the Forest as well. She'll occasionally peddle high-quality children's toys, or put on puppetry displays, if she needs the money to purchase something. I wasn't aware she was a magician, though, but I did note her to be a Youkai. Again, I can make no promises as to her willingness to teach. As for the other... hm. I'm afraid I couldn't say. I'd never heard of her before."

"She almost never leaves that mansion." Orin interrupted smugly. "So I'd be surprised if you had. I only know about her because I was picking up... some things the vampires there were done with. My job, you know."

"Oh, that mansion." Tuck warily continued. "I suppose... she might actually be the most difficult to get hold of, then. The Forest is difficult to traverse, but the mansion is actively guarded. You'll have to either force your way in, or acquire an invitation... neither are particularly simple ventures, I am afraid. And again, I'm afraid that's simply to be able to meet with this person... actually arranging instruction will be another matter entirely."

Tabuki nodded slowly. She hadn't really expected it to be easy, after all.

"And... that last one?" She questioned.

"The evil spirit? She-"

"Orin." Satori said calmly, and the redhead fell silent. After a moment, she continued. "I would very much advise against this course of action, however it would be folly to attempt to sway you against a course of action without explaining what that course entails, I suppose. This being... she is not at all like others of her kind. Evil spirits are, in general, immediately malevolent, mindless, howling souls of those damned for their sins in life. They do not truly think at all, after enough time, and so are easy to contain. They will not even consider escaping a place unless the opportunity is both vastly tempting and blatantly obvious. Mima is.. different."

Satori sipped slowly at some tea that had been served.

"For one, she emphatically denies being dead at all. It has yet to be determined if she has deluded herself, or if indeed she is, as she claims, 'just a soul' separated from a body to house it. In other respects, she is not only fully sentient, she is quite cunning and has escaped the bonds placed upon her many times, most recently setting herself up as an evil god of some sort during her period of freedom, though she did little while perpetrating this facade. In any case, she was recently transferred to a high-security detainment center built in the interior of the hottest fire chamber of the old hells, designed to instantly submerge itself in the magma, sealing itself from the outside, should any of those contained within make an attempt at escape. Unofficial, of course, but far more secure than any of the official hells are, and it has already held her for longer than any had expected. Obtaining permission to speak with her... shouldn't be difficult at all, but the entire encounter will be heavily supervised, as will any following lessons. That is, provided you convince her to give lessons at all."

"I see..." Tabuki mumbled, eyelids slowly but inexorably drooping. "I'll have to sleep on this..."

"Don't stress too hard over it." Orin said seriously. "You'd probably get more or less the same education from any of them, initially, just that they'll teach different. You probably won't be faulted if you try to shop around a bit, see who's teaching style works best for you before you pick one to stick with. Of course, you probably won't get any of the good stuff until you've picked your master, and after that you can't change your mind and the others'd likely poke out their own eyes rather than instruct you at that point, but until then it's all good."

"Yes..." Tabuki tried to raise herself to her feet, but wobbled and slumped back into the chair, clutching the wand she supported herself with tightly. "Ah... Emerald, I, uh... could you help me back to bed? I need to lie down."

---

Tabuki woke up the next morning, Emerald wrapped around her like a warm, clingy, drooling octopus, and tried to decide what to do as she set her thoughts in order.

First, food.

[ ] Hunt down the kitchens, have someone cook a full meal for you and eat it there.
[ ] Same, but make it a quick meal.
[ ] Actually no, get something, but either eat it as you go or have it sent to you. Busy busy busy.

Then,

[ ] You should hunt around the library and try to fiddle with that wand. [Int/Mag]
- [ ] Look through the rest of the books while you're at it. You might find something useful. [Int/Perception]
[ ] You should chat with someone. You may have to hunt them down, though.
- [ ] Emerald.
-- [ ] She's a fairy, so she'd probably know something about these wars, right?
-- [ ] Write-in topic.
- [ ] Orin.
-- [ ] Write-in topic.
- [ ] Satori.
-- [ ] Write-in topic.
- [ ] Okuu.
-- [ ] Write-in topic.
-- [ ] Kappa.
-- [ ] Nuclear physics. [Int/Luck/Perception]
-[ ] Tuck Tuck went back to the surface, and isn't currently available.
[ ] Ask about speaking with Mima.
[ ] See about finding other clothes. The wedding dress won't be fine forever.
-[ ] For the meantime, though, it's fine.
-[ ] For the meantime, though, nudity is fine.
[ ] Wander out and about randomly, see what happens. [Luck/Perception]

Update:
Health: 75%
Magic: 67%
Poison has run its course. Aftereffects limited to -1 power modifier until recuperation is complete.
Concussion is faded. Aftereffects limited to -1 agility modifier until recuperation is complete.
Estimate further 24 hours until full recuperation complete.

>> No. 140997
Too many choices!!! Err...

First, food.
[x] Same, but make it a quick meal.

Then,
- [x] Emerald.
-- [x] She's a fairy, so she'd probably know something about these wars, right?
>> No. 141007
[x] Same, but make it a quick meal.

Then,
- [x] Emerald.
-- [x] She's a fairy, so she'd probably know something about these wars, right?
>> No. 141024
[x] Same, but make it a quick meal.

Then,
[x] You should hunt around the library and try to fiddle with that wand. [Int/Mag]
- [x] Look through the rest of the books while you're at it. You might find something useful. [Int/Perception]
[x] See about finding other clothes. The wedding dress won't be fine forever.
-[x] For the meantime, though, nudity is fine.
>> No. 141048
[x] Same, but make it a quick meal.

Then,
[x] You should hunt around the library and try to fiddle with that wand. [Int/Mag]
- [x] Look through the rest of the books while you're at it. You might find something useful. [Int/Perception]
[x] See about finding other clothes. The wedding dress won't be fine forever.
-[x] For the meantime, though, nudity is fine.
Finally:
[x] Ask about speaking with Mima.
>> No. 141121
File 130556072365.png - (2.86KB , 164x187 , youblinkedandmissedit.png ) [iqdb]
141121
I don't care enough to wait for a tiebreaker, so I'll just go with both options. Talk with the wife, and the library stuff. Naked, woo~. Good thing that while Tabby has significant issues with intimate relations outside the bounds of marriage, she doesn't actually seem to have any sort of modesty or shame regarding her body.

Called and rolling. Int- 8, Mag-7, Int-6, Perception-2. You almost pulled off a full success on raiding the library for usefulness, hm. Well, anyway, everything but asking about Mima is a go. Writing.
>> No. 141125
>>141121
I'm sure Tabby's wife would enjoy the nudity.
>> No. 141135
File 130557764296.jpg - (1.18MB , 850x1286 , sample_70d56061f511f9b5768cb871d971b4fbb77781e0.jpg ) [iqdb]
141135
Emerald shifted slightly in her sleep as Tabuki wiggled in place. After a minute or two of effort, she gave in to the realization that while she could get loose from the grip on her own, it would take a while to do. And she still didn't know her way around the palace, either. Sure, she could stop and get directions, but when Emerald was right here, what was the point?

"Hey. Hey, wake up." She said aloud, deliberately jostling her bed-partner.

"D'n wanna. Sleepy. Comfy." The fairy mumbled to herself, squeezing her slightly tighter than before as she denied the call.

"...It's breakfast time?" Tabuki tried, continuing on with "And I'm pretty sure if you still want to sleep, I can figure out how to make a splash of cold water appear directly above us. It won't exactly be fun for me, but I should be able to focus most of it on you, and-"

Emerald groaned wretchedly, slowly rousing herself and staring at Tabuki through bleary, sleep-fogged eyes.

"Break...fast?" She mumbled softly.

"As soon as you've gotten me to the kitchen so I can tell them what to cook." Tabuki promised.

"...'K Tabby..."

Emerald's wings beat once as she yawned, slowly, right in Tabuki's face, completely ignoring the other girl's insistence to refrain from name-shortenings, and stumbled awkwardly out of bed. Tabuki stumbled out a little slower, still stiff and with her shoulder still throbbing, but no longer with vision swimming and the world whirling even a little bit around her, which was in every way an improvement. She glanced around the room quickly, for clothes. There was emerald's dress, of course, which she was putting on, and the wedding dress from yesterday. At a glance, it looked like the tuxedo Emerald had been wearing before wasn't here, and there were no drawers or closets where other clothes might be hidden. On a similar note, the dress looked a lot more... frail, perhaps, with all the lace and thin fabric, than it had yesterday. Or maybe it had just been that yesterday she hadn't quite been able to judge its durability properly. Well, either way, while it might be fine to stand in one spot and get carried around in, any further use left it in danger of ripping apart entirely.

Well, that was fine, she decided, as Emerald came back around and carefully changed her bandages, dropping the bloodstained fabric in a small bag to, she assumed, be washed and sanitized in case they needed to be re-used again. Testing the range of motion and finding it still wanting, she stood up and grabbed ahold of the wand.

"I'm afraid you'll have to help, but... onward?"

Emerald glanced over at the wedding dress, but didn't really object to her current state either, picking her up as she lifted off, flying through the air and halls as she made her way towards the kitchens.

"In any case... I didn't pry about it yesterday, but that one fairy mentioned something interesting. About a... war?" Tabuki began, leadingly. "I don't suppose you could tell me anything more about it... well, unless it's limited specifically to fairy participation, anyway."

"Oh, no, it's fine. Um.. It's basically, like, a scuffle over territories, right? I mean, we fairies don't really technically have to eat or drink or anything, so we can live pretty much anywhere, but we enjoy it, so if we can we try to live near useful things. Berry bushes, fruit trees, people that don't mind too much when they set pies out to cool and one goes missing, stuff like that. Or the whole indentured servitude thing, with that mansion on the surface, for the ones that really crave tasty things. You understand so far?"

"Hm, yes, I believe so."

"Alright. Anyway, we'll try to live near those, but only so many can be sustained by a given tree or bush at a time, and after that you have to... force someone out of a spot, if you want to get ahold of it, sort of. Um, it would really get pretty nasty sometimes, until the strongest fairies got sick and tired of everything and pretty much slammed down on everyone at once, and made new rules about how things would work. It's more of a game than an actual fight these days... sure, you might lose, but there's always a chance that you'll win next time, and everything, and there's a lot more fun to be had if we're not fighting over stuff all the time. Anyway, when the wars start, everyone involved gets together and the strongest fairies leads a group of fairies from their territories to pick fights with other... armies, I guess? So they go and pick a fight on someone else's territory, and they have to fight back, because if they don't or if they lose then they lose control of it to the invaders. They can fight back again afterwards, and take it back, of course, so long as the war itself hasn't ended."

"Uh.. your explanation could use a little work, but I do believe I have the gist of things now. Oh, we're here?"

"Sure are. Want anything in particular?"

"Just something that can be made and eaten quickly, there's things I have to do today..."

Emerald quickly left her sitting on a countertop while she got the cook's attention. Okuu, nearby, noticed her and nodded idly at her as she walked past, chewing on what looked like a pair of pieces of toast, holding some mixed egg and meat dish, held in a sandwich, not even seeming to register her nudity at all. She wasn't entirelly certain how she should feel about that. As Tabuki didn't really have anything to say at the moment, though, and assumed from the nature of her meal that she was in a hurry, she just waved back at the bird-woman rather than call her over to chat. After a moment, she was gone, and Emerald was returning, having collected a couple proportioned plates of whatever the egg-dish was and a small slice of cold meat for the both of them.

"Food~" The fairy cheered eagerly. A few seconds after setting in, she began talking again, even through a full mouth.

"Sho, anyways, that's the war outlined in a nutshell, I guess. Big names of the surface all get involved... Cirno, Daiyousei, Sunny, Luna, Star, and even Lily get in on things. There's more, of course, but they usually get stomped out pretty early on into things. Anyway, at the start, it's every army for themselves, but after a while it sets down to Cirno and Dai teaming up against Sunny, Luna, and Star, and Lily... uh, Lily kind of does her own thing. Sometimes she sides with one or the other. Sometimes she attacks both sides, sometimes neither, sometimes she gets lost midway through the war and ends up attacking Makai or Higan or wherever instead, makes a huge incident of herself. Anyway, the other two end-game sides are actually really evenly matched, so if she sides with one then it's usually them who wins. If she doesn't, then the whole war usually drags on until they all get bored and get someone to call a truce and help them decide what to do with the territories they have at the end of things. Of course, if there's winners and losers, instead of everything ending up in a draw, then it's the winners that decide what to do with things. If there's something they want more than a given territory, though, then they'll trade for it, or they might decide to leave the fairies in a given spot there, but demand tribute from them in exchange, like so many berries or apples, or a bottle of wine they have to get ahold of from their employers somehow, or whatever they demand."

"I see. Then, in summation, it's a war over 'Territory' and 'Resources'. I will note, though, that all your examples relate to food, specifically. Are there any other resources the fairies fight over...?"

"What, you mean like, rubies or sapphires or whatever, like what just poke out of the walls in some of the tunnels down here? Nah, we're not really interested in that sort of thing. Of course, doesn't mean we'll just sit back and let other people go around digging holes or chopping down trees in our territory without permission, but it's not what we're interested in. It's one of the reasons we don't really get involved in the wars, because aside from underground mushrooms, the city, and maybe a cave-stream or two, that's really all we have. Well, and the fact that we don't really have any leaders down here, either. Some of our fairies are pretty strong, but not really anything like any of the surface fairy leaders. So we could match, say, the armies that any of them bring out, but if a leader takes the field then we've as good as lost without a leader of our own to match... or, well, even just keep them busy."

Tabuki considered this carefully as she wiped at her face, meal finished. That actually sounded very interesting... a legitimate way to get ahold of things that resident fairies would otherwise apparently fight tooth and nail to keep out of people's hands, and if they valued foodstuffs over gemstones, then that would similarly skew their priorities in defense and offense...

"Library, please." She said simply, then continued. "So, then... if someone were to take the leadership role, Underground fairies would be able to play a greater part-"

"-than just throwing up groups to fight against surface fairies until they get tired of tunnels and decide they don't want to bother anymore? Yeah, we could.You're offering." Emerald said, simply, seeming to have immediately caught on to the nature of Tabuki's query. "You, uh.... might want to think about that. I mean, there's not exactly any rules about it being fairy only, and sometimes weak youkai or thrill-seeking humans join up with an army for kicks, although they really take a lot more to keep fed and happy than a whole army of fairies do, so it's not really a great idea, but the leader's job isn't just to pick where and when the army attacks someplace. If another leader gets involved with the fight, then like I said, it's your job to go and meet them, fight back, because a leader is more than enough to match any given army, usually. And, uh... there's a thing where we fairies don't die if we get killed. Lots of youkai have that too, and even a few humans I heard of, but not all. It makes things a little... riskier for you, especially if you're going against a leader, as a leader. I mean, not that you'd get killed on purpose, but in case of accidents, you know. Eh, if you die when you die, anyway, uh... I don't know if you do or not. And... anyway, let's just say that it'll be really frowned on if you jump into a fight where a leader's not already involved. Since, you know, you aren't a fairy, and it'd be your first war, and all... uh, it's not to say you can't, but if you do then when the others hear about it they'll probably all turn on you all at once."

"I see... that's fine, though. I'll think about it."

"Oh, that's not to say you shouldn't get involved at all, either, I mean, I know a few fairies that would be really, really happy to fight for you, and there's a few more here and there... uh they really only hang about in their own territories, though, so you'd have to actually hunt them down and force them to join up, if you want their help. But, anyway, I'm not saying 'do it' or 'don't', just 'think about if you want to first', okay?"

Tabuki nodded as she was settled down in the library, on a table next to Satori, who blinked, stared at her for a moment, then sighed deeply.

".... You are naked." She said simply, then shook her head and continued on quickly. "No, this is my fault. I forgot to have a spare set of clothing in your size located. I suspect I expected you would remain wearing the gown, of course, but that's neither here nor there. I'm simply grateful Tuck is no longer in the vicinity, i shudder to think what lecheries would have passed through his mind on seeing this."

"If he was here, then I'd probably have worn the gown." Tabuki admitted, after a moments thought.

"Naturally. Oh, don't let me keep you, use the library as you please."

Tabuki nodded and set to doing just that. It took slightly more than six hours of perusal, enough that at a guess she would say it was ' a little into the afternoon' by the time she finished, and thoughts of food were heavy on her mind. As for the wand, though, she had altered the enchantment on it subtly, causing it to activate and shine with light when the word 'Luminous' was spoken aloud with intent to activate, and similarly that the enchantment would dispel with a spoken 'Fin'. Satori nodded in a vague sort of approval at the show.

---

The wand.

[ ] Keep it. A light in the darkness is useful, after all, though it's previous owner didn't find it quite enough.
[ ] Return it to Satori. She offered to pay you for it, and will give you fifty units of silver. Not real silver, actually, just the unit of currency that's apparently used in gensokyo. Still far more than you'd get selling it anywhere else.
[ ] Return it, but try to talk your way into a little more money. [Cha/Luck}

The library. There's a number of books here, a few titles of which stand out to you. You guess that you might finish one a little after dinnertime, a few hours after if you take breaks to eat. Some of these look more useful than others, some seem to be textbooks, and some may or may not be simple fiction novels. The library is arranged in such a way, though, that it's not really possible to tell what a book is without reading it... Pick one.

[ ] Flora and Fauna: An annotated guide.
[ ] Dream of Conquest
[ ] An Elementary Introduction to Mathematical Finance
[ ] The Earth and the Summer
[ ] The Secret and the Scourge
[ ] The Mydge Mistress
[ ] Principles of Semiconductor Devices
[ ] High Energy Astrophysics
[ ] Dick and Jane, 37'th edition.
[ ] Return of the King
[ ] Basic Atomic Theorems and Principles
[ ] Ebony Demon of Sylyan
[ ] Relativity, Gravitation and Cosmology
[ ] Quantum mechanics with Basic Field Theory
[ ] Telmswell's compendium XII: Bound and Unbound
[ ] The Giant Spider: Care, Feeding, and Riding of
[ ] Faerie of the Sea City
[ ] Rune of Doom
[ ] Clinical Handbook of Mindfulness
[ ] Sorcery of Storm
[ ] Iron Apprentice of Celiniof
[ ] Chemistry: A core study
[ ] A Young Ladies Compendium of Uceful Advices for Lyfe, Marriage, and Happyness
[ ] Neurology: an introduction.
[ ] Master of Empire
[ ] Nano-medication
[ ] Science: For idiots.
[ ] Calculus: For idiots.
[ ] Demon and Darkness

Finally, regarding the war.

[ ] Tabuki has decided to join as Leader of the Underground Fairies.
[ ] Tabuki won't be joining.
[ ] Tabuki needs more time to think, or is considering some other plan. (Write-in as necessary)
>> No. 141137
The wand.

[x] Keep it. A light in the darkness is useful, after all, though it's previous owner didn't find it quite enough.

[x] Dream of Conquest

[x] Tabuki has decided to join as Leader of the Underground Fairies.

To war!
>> No. 141142
[x] Keep it. A light in the darkness is useful, after all, though it's previous owner didn't find it quite enough.
[x] A Young Ladies Compendium of Uceful Advices for Lyfe, Marriage, and Happyness
[x] Tabuki has decided to join as Leader of the Underground Fairies.
>> No. 141144
[x] Keep it. A light in the darkness is useful, after all, though it's previous owner didn't find it quite enough.
[x] Dream of Conquest
[x] Tabuki has decided to join as Leader of the Underground Fairies.

Things keep getting interesting...
>> No. 141146
[x] Ask Satori if you can keep the wand, and give a convincing argument as to why she's no use for it.
-[x]If she says Yes: Keep it. A light in the darkness is useful, after all, though it's previous owner didn't find it quite enough.
-[x] No: Give it up, but try to find/make something else.
[x] Dream of Conquest
[x] Tabuki has decided to join as Leader of the Underground Fairies.

I doubt Satori would have any use for a wand she doesnt need. We still should ask her before taking it though.
>> No. 141150
[x] Keep it. A light in the darkness is useful, after all, though it's previous owner didn't find it quite enough.
[x] Nano-medication
[x] Tabuki has decided to join as Leader of the Underground Fairies.
>> No. 141164
>>141146

>I will allow you to either keep the wand, or repay you for the service with a small monetary reward."

She already gave permission. This is just picking which you want. No, she doesn't have any use for it, at all. She's actually being super-nice, and offering something like more than twice its actual market value, since, y'know, you were just born and literally have nothing to your name.

Oh, also, I should have mentioned this before, but if you hate the activation/deactivation words, you can vote to change them. I just picked stuff at random. Also, this is a bit ahead of the game, but if you want to create unique fairies then they might get used, either for Tabby's army or for opposing armies, or just wandering about in independent territories.
>> No. 141166
[ ] Keep it. A light in the darkness is useful, after all, though it's previous owner didn't find it quite enough.
[ ] Demon and Darkness
[ ] Tabuki has decided to join as Leader of the Underground Fairies.
>> No. 141174
>>141164
Oh.
Well in that case I'm changing my vote to steal the wand like a little jew.
>> No. 141179
[x] Keep it. A light in the darkness is useful, after all, though it's previous owner didn't find it quite enough.
[x] Demon and Darkness
[x] Tabuki has decided to join as Leader of the Underground Fairies.

Thanks to min/maxing, the shitty perception has mixed some books with no magical content on them, it seems. So I'd rather pick something that might be probably be what we're looking for, though I know only one or two of the mentioned books.
>> No. 141182
>>141179
magic books aren't the only useful ones. That marriage book might be useful.
>> No. 141185
>>141182

Specially now that Tabby is a newly wed, yeah, I can see that now.

Eh, screw it, Im changing my book vote. Kahi, replace the Demon and Darkness in >>141179 with this "[ ] A Young Ladies Compendium of Uceful Advices for Lyfe, Marriage, and Happyness "

Also, are the typos intentional, or are they, like, old english or something and not really typos?
>> No. 141187
File 130569093658.jpg - (79.00KB , 987x987 , 1304629289476.jpg ) [iqdb]
141187
>>141174
Now I'm half tempted to vote to give it away, just to spite you.


>>141135
[x] Keep it. A light in the darkness is useful, after all, though its previous owner didn't find it quite enough.
[x] Dream of Conquest
[x] Tabuki has decided to participate as a strategist/tactician and war-mage with the Underground Fairies.

We're a mage most puissant and irresistible! We shouldn't be sitting in the bullseye-painted throne; we should be standing to the side viziering it up!

More seriously, it doesn't sound like there's much of a reason to claim the Leader title, and a number of good reasons not to. Just fighting in the war seems like enough if we want to claim (use of) territory and/or resources, or to gain the approval of the underground fairies and/or the respect of the aboveground ones.

We might end up as a de facto Leader anyway, especially if we take on a Leader and win; but if we don't try to claim the title, we don't have to worry about anyone contesting it, or fairies resenting a non-fairy being a leader. (More likely the losing leader fairies (looking for some excuse for their loss) than the ones fighting under us, but you never know.)

Best case scenario, we play SenatorGeneral Palpatine: i.e., modestly and "reluctantly" yield to popular acclaim and assume the reins of power. And then we play Cincinnatus and relinquish it all immediately afterwards, because seriously, we have better things to do than look after a bunch of fairies.

Also if it turns out we're really lousy at warfare (e.g. if Dream of Conquest is misleadingly titled) we can just give up without making too much of a fool of ourselves or incurring much resentment, and try to find some other source of income.

Yes, I realize it's almost certainly too late for this post to change anyone's mind.

Pic probably unrelated.


>>141185
Old English is another language entirely; it tends to look like this:
Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum, monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah, egsode eorlas.

What you're looking at there is technically Modern English; it's just done up to vaguely allude to the style of Early Modern English, when modern standardized spelling was still developing. (Although it would probably be "Uſeful" and "Happineſs" after around 1700, shading into "Vſefull" and "Happynes" (not sure on that) as you go farther back. Not sure about "Lyfe".) It might be a Terry Pratchett quote; I think he does his Olde-Tyme Spellinges like that.
>> No. 141192
>>141187
what better things to do? As far as we can tell Tabby has no outstanding goals at the moment.
>> No. 141193
>>141137 Here

Changing vote to >>141187
>> No. 141208
File 130572883892.png - (232.31KB , 850x591 , sample_b0ffdd42f5c46173ca7b41bf66305dfb4d5b15c1.png ) [iqdb]
141208
>>141179

>The shitty perception roll has mixed in some useless books.

Paraphrased, but correct.

>>141182

>Magic books aren't the only useful ones.

This is also correct.

>>141185

Typoes/old english. Six of one, half dozen of the other. That's a yes, more or less. Or what I was going for, anyway. Distinguishhed-gentlemanly-Metroid anon probably is right, I didn't bother to look up anything about old english at all, I just went on half remembered pratchett. So yeah, totally right there.

>>141192

>what better things to do? As far as we can tell Tabby has no outstanding goals at the moment.

Oh geeze. Now I'm going to have to dig out all the potential 'quests' and whatnot that are open to you just right now. Hint: there's lots. Magical tutor, the war: BUILD ME AN ARMY WORTHY OF MORDOR, possibly vengeance on the lady who strangled your 'mommy' to death, uh... that's just off the top of my head. Oh, right, creating a financial trade empire, getting involved in that festival somehow, the whole fusion thing opens up options later on... and, yeah, there's more stuff too, so it's not like Tabby has absolutely nothing to do. Also, there's always the option of writing something in, forcing me to make stuff up on the spot, and see where that leads.

But anyway, I'm calling the votes now. Tally'n....

Keep-IIIIIIII

Dream-IIII
Young ladies compendium-II
Nano-I
Demon-I

Leader-IIIIII
Tactical strategymancer-II

So, hm, yeah that's unanimousness for keeping the wand, and votes are in favor of Dream of Conquest and leading the army. Honestly, I had figured you would all have gone for the "Relativity, Gravitation and Cosmology" book given... well, pretty obviously, your power and all. But, eh, this works fine too. Also, you'll be starting to see now why that one option back at the beginning was hilariously overpowered, you would have been able to go '[x]All of the Above' and blow through the entire pile inside an afternoon. And would have gotten all the available bonuses. But, anyway, writing now.
>> No. 141209
>>141208
I said that remark as to say "There's nothing stopping her from leading a Fairy army". I wonder how many times POWA GAMAN will bite us in the ass.
>> No. 141211
File 130573777184.jpg - (344.35KB , 1000x1000 , b58d2185042f31be0dd9e5640eea26738fd8bf90.jpg ) [iqdb]
141211
After a long moment of contemplation, Tabuki made her selection, and slid 'Dream of Conquest' off of the shelf. Or, at least, tried to. The book was every bit as large as she was, bound in heavy leather, and was entirely too heavy for her to move about on her own. After a moment's struggle, Satori stepped in, sliding it easily out and setting it at a reading desk nearby. She mumbled her thanks, and levered the cover open.

As it turned out, the book was a fiction novel. However, it was a very well written novel, and as the author had, in his time, actually been an accomplished soldier, clawing his way up to general of an army, it was quite well done in regards to the tactics and strategies of war, and Tabuki found herself drinking in the proffered tidbits like a sponge. It was a fictional account, yes, but there was enough pure information contained within its pages that it served a secondary purpose as well, of education, and by the time she had finished, well after a dinner-break, with Satori still reading nearby, she was quite confident that she could hold her own, tactically at least, against any given opposing leader in this little war-game.*

She solemnly allowed the final page of the book to swing shut, a bittersweet ending in which the protagonist had fallen, not on the battlefield, but to illness, surrounded by loving family and incapable of mustering the strength to so much as lift a cup of water to drink on his own, while his son continued on, leading his army in his place.

"I've decided, Emerald." She said, simply, the nearby fairy slipping out of her slight nap and into alertness at the sound of her name. "I will lead the army."

"Ah...? .... Ah! That's great!" Emerald cheered quietly. "I mean, I kind of hoped that you would, because I used to live above ground, and I'll admit I'm still a little bitter about getting kicked out of my old place when it changed hands, but I didn't want to push you one way or the other or anything. Um. Okay, I'll do my best too! I can get in touch with people for recruits, and find maps and things... uh... I can have them sometime tomorrow?"

"That would be fine." Tabuki agreed quietly, heaving the far cover over to shut the book. She started slightly as Satori, who seemed to glide about soundlessly wherever she walked, almost just appeared from nowhere behind her, and set a slip of parchment down, something scrawled on it in precise, yet almost spidery letters.

"You may... find this useful for your war-games. Or not, perhaps. Provided that non-lethality is preferable, at least."

Tabuki glanced over it and her eyes widened slightly at the spell displayed.

".... I thought you didn't-"

"-Know much magic, no, I do not." Satori agreed. "However, this bluntness spell, which prevents selected items from piercing or slicing things, is quite useful in a number of small ways, and does not require much in the way of skill or ability to perform. The storing and transport of cutlery and kitchen knives, for example. It occurred to me, as your thoughts were revealed, that it may be of use to you, and after all it is not as though the spell itself is some great, hidden secret."

"Even so... thank you." Tabuki whispered quietly, her focus turning once more to the parchment, memorizing the written words.**

"Aside from that, I'll wish you well with that wand, as I can see you would prefer to keep it." Satori continued. "I'm sure it won't be particularly long at all before you can pick a splinter or nail up off the ground and enchant something which functionally works in exactly the same way, but this wand in itself bears some aesthetic appeal, I suppose. As well, it serves as a memento of your first... practical experience with magic, in which you were fully cognizant and in control of exactly what you were doing throughout the entire process. Sentimental value, then. Retire whenever you please, I shall have proper clothes prepared for you and delivered to miss Emerald's quarters by the time you wake."

---

Tabuki rose in the morning much the same as she had the previous, though feeling mightily refreshed and once more as healthy as she had ever been, and after being tugged out of bed by Emerald and taken to see the troops, she began to make plans for the day.

* Tabuki has gained a perk: Basic Leadership. In battles in which she participates, her troops gain a morale bonus from her presence, hitting harder and taking more punishment before going down. Functionally, this translates as a +1 to attack damage and +5 to health of every individual soldier. She may also prepare a strategy in advance (Roll Int) or deliver a rousing speech (Roll Cha) to attempt to gain bonuses for one battle each per day. Preparing a strategy for a battle does not preclude a speech being given for the same battle, as such both bonuses may be attempted at once for a single fight. It should be noted, however, that a strategy that fails to take a pertinent piece of information into account, or a speech that is found to be unimpressive and sub-par can actually be detrimental to a group of soldiers' performances. The given bonuses are +2 or -2 maximum health, regardless, for every soldier participating in the specified battle.

** Tabuki has learned a spell: Bluntness. Functionally, it shifts all 'piercing' and 'slashing' damage performed by a given item to 'blunt trauma', preventing them from impaling, amputating limbs, or otherwise outright maiming their targets, to the point that they cannot even scratch the skin. Bones can still be broken, however, and internal injuries result, and death is still a possibility, should attacks continue after an opponent has lost consciousness. At Tabuki's current level of magical reserves, a single casting can blunt the edges of up to thirty items in one go, costing 1% of her total reserves. Blunting less than this amount will not reduce the cost, the excess magical energy will simply dissipate uselessly. Removing the spell from a given item costs nothing.

Health- 100%
Magic- 100%

Aftereffects of poison and concussion have run their course, and no modifiers remain.

Inventory:
Clothing.
Wand/staff.

Influence update:

Emerald: 92
Satori: 56
Okuu: 53

Army overview incoming


Tabuki's clothes.
[ ] Write-in.
[ ] Author Pick.

Plans for the day.

[ ] WAR. WAR. WAR. The maps have not been assembled, you have no idea who to target first, or who you can target first, please wait patiently until Emerald has prepared them.

[ ] Read another book? Max two, reading two will occupy the whole day and prevent you from doing anything else.

[ ] Flora and Fauna: An annotated guide.
[ ] Dream of Conquest
[ ] An Elementary Introduction to Mathematical Finance
[ ] The Earth and the Summer
[ ] The Secret and the Scourge
[ ] The Mydge Mistress
[ ] Principles of Semiconductor Devices
[ ] High Energy Astrophysics
[ ] Dick and Jane, 37'th edition.
[ ] Return of the King
[ ] Basic Atomic Theorems and Principles
[ ] Ebony Demon of Sylyan
[ ] Relativity, Gravitation and Cosmology
[ ] Quantum mechanics with Basic Field Theory
[ ] Telmswell's compendium XII: Bound and Unbound
[ ] The Giant Spider: Care, Feeding, and Riding of
[ ] Faerie of the Sea City
[ ] Rune of Doom
[ ] Clinical Handbook of Mindfulness
[ ] Sorcery of Storm
[ ] Iron Apprentice of Celiniof
[ ] Chemistry: A core study
[ ] A Young Ladies Compendium of Uceful Advices for Lyfe, Marriage, and Happyness
[ ] Neurology: an introduction.
[ ] Master of Empire
[ ] Nano-medication
[ ] Science: For idiots.
[ ] Calculus: For idiots.
[ ] Demon and Darkness

[ ] You should chat with someone. You may have to hunt them down, though.
- [ ] Emerald.
-- [ ] Write-in topic.
- [ ] Orin.
-- [ ] Write-in topic.
- [ ] Satori.
-- [ ] Write-in topic.
-- [ ] Mima
- [ ] Okuu.
-- [ ] Write-in topic.
-- [ ] Kappa.
-- [ ] Nuclear physics. [Int/Luck/Perception]
[ ] Wander out and about randomly, see what happens. [Luck/Perception]
- [ ] The Palace.
- [ ] The City.
>> No. 141216
File 130574328212.jpg - (226.19KB , 850x743 , sample_7506aa940237e100cf2d31a1f8ce944089b7adb6.jpg ) [iqdb]
141216
Army Overview.

Leader: Tabuki. Magic focus. Physically weak, but nimble and difficult to hit.
Health- ???
Weapon- Ivory Wand of Light (non-combat focus)
Armor- ???
Damage estimation- ???

Generals:
Emerald. More or less the second in command and assistant.
Health: 25
Weapon: N/A (fist)
Armor: N/A (plain clothes)
Damage estimation: 2-5 per hit.
Bonus: All melee troops under command gain +1 attack damage.

Soldiers:

Conscripted Fairy Mook (Melee)x4
All-
Health: 10.
Weapon: N/A (fisticuffs)
Armor: N/A (plain clothes)
Damage estimation: 1-2 per attack.

Conscripted Fairy Mook (Danmaku)x4
All-
Health: 10.
Weapon: N/A (Danmaku)
Armor: N/A (Plain Clothes)
Damage estimation: 1-2 per attack, nonlethal damage.

Brief overview of War Rules.

1. As Leader, Tabuki may not engage in a given battle unless another Leader is participating on the opposing side. Generally, most leaders are good enough to give some warning about this in advance, for whatever reason. However, 'Leader' can apply to a number of things, and aside from the actual leader of a force of opponents, it can also include such things as 'a powerful person who lives in this area and happened by, entirely unrelated to the battle at hand', 'a monster that has wandered into the fray and is attacking both sides indiscriminately', 'The employer or co-worker of the fairies you suddenly showed up and started attacking', and more. Tabuki joining the field in these cases, and similar others, is acceptable.

2. Maps will show that in order to assault a given Territory, one must already have control of a nearby Territory, shown by a system of circles connected with lines. When a battle over a territory is won, that territory is placed under your control, and adjacent territories will become available for attack.

3. A given soldier can only fight in a single battle a day, however you may use as many soldiers in a single battle as you have available, or as few as you wish, and you may plan battles on as many fronts as are available for as long as you have soldiers. The only limitation being that a given soldier cannot, obviously, be in more than one battle at once. Also, all battles for the day are planned in advance, following their being scouted to gain an estimation of opposition, so territories adjacent to any territories cannot be immediately assaulted. The following day, once scouted, they are available for attack as normal.

4. A given Territory may or may not produce something. Regardless, territories must be stationed with soldiers in order to remain under your control at all: Should all soldiers be removed from a given territory, it will be left unguarded, and either Independent fairies will move in, making the Territory Neutral again, or a nearby enemy army will take advantage of the lapse to take control of it themselves. The minimum required number of soldiers to keep a territory under control is 1, however should the Territory produce resources of some sort, at least Two are required to ensure full production. A single fairy will only give one half the normal result. Extra fairies may also be stationed in a territory, either as a pre-emptive defense against assaults, or to increase production. The maximum number of fairies that can affect a territories production is Five, bringing the production of resources up to 250 percent. Additional fairies beyond this give no increase, and are simply there for defensive purposes. Should fairies be unused during a given days attacks, but stationed in a territory to defend it against enemy assaults, then they will receive a temporary 50% bonus to their health, reflecting the fact that they did not have to rush to the battlefield, and have had time to prepare themselves.

5. An enemy attack will not be immediately carried out: they will politely wait for a response to the intrusion, allowing you the time to bring a force out to meet them. Should you not do so, then the victory is theirs by default. Neutral fairies are thoroughly unmotivated and will not make assaults on your territory of their own volition unless you withdraw all forces from the area.

6. Recruitment: Upon conquering a territory, you will conscript two additional fairies to your forces, one melee oriented and one magically oriented. Should you lose control of that territory, these fairies will immediately desert your army and either join up with the side which now controls the territory, or return to their previous neutrality. It is therefore not advisable to invest too heavily in conscripts from areas you expect to be heavily contested or lose, as you may find them turned against you later on. Your initial forces are, of course, not related to any given territory and so are not subject to this habitual desertion and betrayal.

7. Generals are in general more powerful than the average fairy, but not to the degree that they can themselves be considered 'Leaders'. In addition to this, they may provide various bonuses to their troops regarding combat or production. However, while they can be stationed in a territory like normal soldiers, unless their bonus is specifically related to production, there will be no increase in production from their presence.

8. It may be that a territory granting resources is technically 'owned' by someone, say, an orchard near a barn. The 'owner' of these territories may become irritable and take offense should production be raised too high on these territories, and while they may not be able to personally do anything about it, they may become willing to speak with someone who can. Should this occur, a special battle will take place, which, if lost, will completely remove all fairies who participated in it from the war entirely, and remove any ability to later gain resources from this territory for the duration of the war. In such cases, it may be wiser to either personally limit the resource harvesting, or to speak with the 'owner' in person, in an effort to come to some sort of mutually beneficial arrangement for as long as you hold their territory.

9. Battles are turn-based, one side will make their attack, then the other side, alternating until one side is routed entirely or is damaged enough that they retreat from the field of battle. Melee soldiers need a moment to get up-close and personal, and so cannot attack on the first turn. All strategy for the battle should be determined well in advance, as Tabuki will generally not directly participate. In general, however, this simply boils down to 'priority of targets' and 'when to retreat, if at all'.

---

Okay, that's... I think everything? Probably, anyway. Tried to keep it simple as I could. Anyway, enemy actions are not going to be totally random: they each have their own priorities and stuff, longstanding grudges to get back with each other over, target preference, etc. Well, except Lily. She pretty much is the only one of the Leaders who really sees this whole thing as 'just a game' and nothing more, so her targets and troop movements are all pretty darn whimsical. Anyway, you're pretty much an unknown to them, so don't expect them to all immediately dogpile on you or anything, but if you start poking deep into one of their areas or start taking territories they really want, you can expect them to be more than willing to... express their irritation with you, so to speak. And if you absolutely dominate a given opponent right off the initial meeting, you might just worry them all enough to make a mutual alliance, along the lines of 'we stomp her first, alright?'.

Anyway, oh, damn, now I have to draw maps. Huh. Well.. those'll be ready when I get them ready. MS Paint, Ho~
>> No. 141217
File 130574598484.png - (8.23KB , 338x439 , Undergroundmap.png ) [iqdb]
141217
MSPAINT. I guess this is pretty much what you have to look forward to for every map I make. Just a small sample of crappy things to come. You still can't attack anywhere until 'tomorrow', though, since Emerald's supposed to be getting these all at once.

Oh. Hey. There's an explanation for why these are crap. She's drawing them by hand, and she is not good at it. Eh, whatever though.

Notable points.

I. Palace of Earth Spirits.
II. Yuugi's Bar and Grill.
III. Princess' Troll Bridge.
IV. To Fire Chambers, Old Hell.
V. To Main Passage.
VI. To Tunnels I.
VII. To Tunnels II.
VIII. To Tunnels III.
IX. To Tunnels IV.
X. To Tunnels V.
XI. To Tunnels VI.
XII. To Tunnels VII.

...

SO MANY more maps will have to be made. Geeze. Not even taking the Surface into account, or anything below the ancient city, or side tunnels that might end you up in other hells or other places or just plain lost... Hm. I should probably make a separate thread or something to keep all of this info in, for later consideration.
>> No. 141220
[ ] A Young Ladies Compendium of Uceful Advices for Lyfe, Marriage, and Happyness

- [ ] Okuu.
-- [ ] Kappa.
-- [ ] Nuclear physics.

Will think of the clothes later. Nothing comes to mind right now. Time to browse Danbooru
>>141217

I say we should get II~V, pluse VIII and IX. Pity that the Palace is right in the middle of the map, too many fronts to defend.
>> No. 141221
File 130575635012.jpg - (566.17KB , 1152x864 , 61a0511e11a862bd6e83d32c70715e88.jpg ) [iqdb]
141221
>>141220 here

Wasn't really going to suggest this, but I think it will be amusing. Plus, I won't waste much time searching

[x] Nazi-like uniform.

Pic kinda related as to why this.
>> No. 141222
>>141221
>guns
>gensokyo
>MC is not an outsider

I fail to comprehend your logic good sir.
>> No. 141223
>>141222
Sanae is a bad influence.
>> No. 141229
[x] Read another book? Max two, reading two will occupy the whole day and prevent you from doing anything else.
[x] Relativity, Gravitation and Cosmology
[x] Flora and Fauna: An annotated guide.
>> No. 141235
[x] Author Pick.

Plans for the day.
[x] Read another book? Max two, reading two will occupy the whole day and prevent you from doing anything else.

[x] Relativity, Gravitation and Cosmology
[x] A Young Ladies Compendium of Uceful Advices for Lyfe, Marriage, and Happyness
>> No. 141238
[x] Relativity, Gravitation and Cosmology
[x] A Young Ladies Compendium of Uceful Advices for Lyfe, Marriage, and Happyness
[x] nazi-like uniform

Do we actually need to read something about we should know already?
>> No. 141242
>>141223
I am now seeing your logic good sir

[x] Read another book? Max two, reading two will occupy the whole day and prevent you from doing anything else.
[x] Relativity, Gravitation and Cosmology
[x] A Young Ladies Compendium of Uceful Advices for Lyfe, Marriage, and Happyness
>> No. 141248
[x] Nazi uniform
[x] A Young Ladies Compendium of Uceful Advices for Lyfe, Marriage, and Happyness
[x] You should chat with someone. You may have to hunt them down, though.
- [x] Orin.
-- [x] Her fire and necro magic. Maybe she can teach how to control zombies?
>> No. 141250
File 130582240977.jpg - (66.28KB , 500x358 , Genso.jpg ) [iqdb]
141250
Surface map: Hard to put together. I'm looking at a couple things to get a grasp on stuff (Pic relevant) considering a third, and so far most everything else I've found is terrible enough that I've just ignored it. Working on it, anyway.

Also, I think I'll probably post the map for an area when you conquer a territory that gives you entrance into that area. Like, if you grabbed, oh... "X" on that doodle map, that territory is present both in the 'underground City area' and 'Tunnels V area' maps. So until you actually enter an area, you won't know the layout for it. Aside from that, I've also scribbled on the city map. It looks.... even more terrible than before, actually, but it does an effective enough job of conveying things. I'm just going to assume emerald's scrawling it all out in crayons, at this point.

Still debating whether or not to set up a separate thread entirely for this sort of thing... anyway, need to look up how many posts there are in a thread until autosage, again.
>> No. 141254
>>141250

250 posts.

Also, take it easy~
>> No. 141259
[x] Nazi uniform
[x] A Young Ladies Compendium of Uceful Advices for Lyfe, Marriage, and Happyness
[x] You should chat with someone. You may have to hunt them down, though.
- [x] Orin.
>> No. 141260
File 13058329878.jpg - (492.53KB , 800x1200 , f1e48ef44db7d6e904f15de788484f332cea0dd0.jpg ) [iqdb]
141260
>>141259

You, uh... you going to add something to talk about to that vote? Or is it going to be 'Hey... uh... Nice weather we're having. Here. Underground.'

And since I don't want to limit a post to just pointing such a little thing out if I don't have to, surface is more or less done. It's terrible. But it's done. Am now working on passages that go up, passages that go further down, and connecting the underground to the surface with them, as well as hashing out territories and what where under who, etc. Few other things that I'm just not going to bother mapping out until and unless you guys demand that I do so so you can invade. There's probably nothing interesting further down anyway. Pic almost definitely unrelated, I may or may not give my word in this regard. In my defense, I wasn't actually expecting everyone to go ahead with the "CRUSH THE ENEMY, SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND LISTEN TO THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN" thing, so this whole plotline came as a little bit of a surprise to me. I'm fine running with it though, seems interesting enough.

No update today, though. Probably tomorrow, but if it isn't, I likely won't be able to put it up until monday sometime.
>> No. 141261
>>141222
>>141223
>>141242

Hey guys, >>141221 here. Please, explain me the logic you guys are following, because I'm sure I'm not.
>> No. 141270
>>141260
I was more helping the underground fairies' pride, not so much trying to take over things.
>> No. 141288
File 130590692663.jpg - (6.54KB , 118x121 , bonus_round.jpg ) [iqdb]
141288
Okay, calling the votes.

Read one book- III
Young lady-III

Read two books-IIII
RGC-IIII
Flora/Fauna-I
Young Lady-III[b]

Chat
-With Okuu-I
-with Orin-II

[b]Nazish Uniform-IIII

random-I

So, Tabuki'll be reading those two books 'today'. Uh, I won't be able to write it today, though. Sorry.

In compensation, though, this thread is about to end fairly soon, so I'll just make the next post in a new one, and for now I'll do a quick bonus thing, just for you guys.

Moment of insight time!

You vote on one thing, and I'll tell you about it. This can be things you missed, what could have happened if you'd done something else, or just general background biographical information on a character of your choice! The information you get from this may be invaluable, or totally useless, but hey! Enjoy. I might even make this a regular thing, at the end of every thread, if it's well received, rather than it just being a one-off whim of mine.

So, vote for any one of these selections. First to three votes wins.

[ ] Red Hair in an empty tunnel.
[ ] The road not traveled.
[ ] Figure in the Dark.
[ ] Dreams of the past.

[ ] Background Information (pick a character)
>> No. 141293
[ ] Dreams of the past.

Ooh, free plot exposition~
>> No. 141298
I somehow expected that to finish really quick. Guess not. Well, votes have until monday, can't really update anything until then after all.
>> No. 141304
[x] Dreams of the past.
>> No. 141306
>>141298

Maybe you should start calling the votes whenever you feel like writing. I think things will speed up (as in, votes) once you've made past the initial threads. I usually only start reading a story only after it reaches the third thread.
>> No. 141307
>>141306

[x] Dreams of the past.

Forgot my vote. Some bandwagoing to help move things.
>> No. 141380
File 13061612677.jpg - (45.93KB , 450x420 , fa41dda3b3981b3de43515caafec852354f5b50f.jpg ) [iqdb]
141380
Well, it was less 'won't feel like writing until then' and more 'from my last post 'till now-ish, no computer available at all, for various reasons'. But DETAILS. Bleh.

Anyway.

[Dreams of the Past]

The dream wasn't exactly a scheduled event. To be perfectly honest, I was kind of surprised you managed to get it at all.

It was unlocked by two factors: The protagonist's imminent death (the poison, if untreated, would have eventually proven fatal, as Tabuki hasn't got the sort of constitution that can power through these things), and being in a place heavily related to spirits. The underground, being a former hell, filled one of the requirements, as would Hakugyokuro, Higan, or a few other places. Both requirements had to be fulfilled at the same time to unlock the dream, though. Just being in the underground city wasn't enough, and just being poisoned wouldn't have been enough, if you had gone up instead of down. You would just have had the unhelpful sort of delirious fever-dreams, in that case, and no dreams worth mentioning in the former.

The Mother of the dream was a representation of the closest thing to a mother Tabuki had, the little girl who she was given to as a gift, no more than a senseless doll. The Maiden, of course, represented the Vivipary Patriarch's current trophy wife, barely older than his own daughter, and absolutely simmering with bitter frustration. Both, if chosen, would present the facts of the time of the girl's death, but in wildly different ways, and each skewed somewhat to defend themselves and vilify the other parties involved, subtly or not. The Crone would supposedly be neutral in the matter, but being as she would be represented by the Girl's mother, dead long before any of this, it would prove to be only a thin veneer of neutrality at best, as she would prove to be heavily biased in favor of the Mother and against the Maiden.

If not unlocked, it was still more than possible to discover Tabuki's true nature as an ex-toy, the dream itself simply answered the question abruptly, nipping the soul searching and 'what am I' angstiness right in the bud, as the answers just get shoved in the protagonist's face.

Interestingly, none of their opinions of the Patriarch following the Crone's passing would have been particularly high.
>> No. 141381
>>141380
>If not unlocked, it was still more than possible to discover Tabuki's true nature as an ex-toy, the dream itself simply answered the question abruptly, nipping the soul searching and 'what am I' angstiness right in the bud, as the answers just get shoved in the protagonist's face.

Ah, finally things make sense now. I thought Tabuki was actually asleep/sealed/similar, and her awakening was actually "coming back to the world" instead of "entering it for the first time".

But wait, if she was a doll, did she belong to the corpse at the beggining of the story? Dolls can't move on their own when they are still just dolls.
>> No. 141384
>>141381

Yes. The corpse that Tabuki entombed was that of the girl who got killed there, her owner and 'mommy', of sorts, who took her along wherever she went.

It's not really clear, looking back on it, but the girl is still hanging on tight to Tabuki with one hand while getting strangled, and only lets go, dropping her, after she's dead. Then the body got tossed into the little alcove to the side, et cetera.
>> No. 152267
New thread:

>>141435