[Return]
Archived Thread

File 130076422398.jpg - (69.51KB , 312x445 , 121.jpg ) [iqdb]
137923 No. 137923
Thread 1: >>137088
Thread 2: >>136394

The sun rises, spilling its watercolor light across the world, and with it rises the battle standards of six million men. Row upon row of battleships stretch into the distance, their gleaming steel hulls flashing ochre in the gentle light of dawn.

Waves lap against the shore, the softness of their motion belying the carnage to come. Across the beach and in the city, your footsoldiers huddle in the shadows of colossi, an ocean of men to match that ill-named Pacific, ready to fight and die for Emperor and nation. For a single, crystal moment, all is silent; all is still. Shanghai, you decide, will make a fine Armageddon.

The world shatters. Eight thousand battleships align and fire; eight thousand broadsides cast their deadly charge. A half million ship-mounted cannons send a blinding, arcing, plunging line of destruction deep into your ranks, a communal blast that slays men by sound alone, bleeding from eyes and ears, and sends even you to one knee, head ringing. The devastation is catastrophic; a million lives extinguished in one blood-soaked second. Fifty thousand cannon are slashed from your reserves. A small tidal wave smashes into the shore, capsizing ships and smashing the port.

You smile. The cannon fodder did what they needed to. Now, it is your turn. They disturb the sea, you remark to your forces, let us disturb the Earth. From deep entrenchments dug months before, your army of Colossi rise, towering five hundred feet above the battlefield.

Veritably, the earth trembles beneath their feet as they wade into the shallows, rounds pinging and sparking against their invincible construction. The air is filled with a shrieking roar as your flight of darksteel dragons takes wing, blotting out sun and sky, jubilant blasts of ghost-green pyreflame sprouting from their jaws.

Gears turn and metal screams as your return salvo is fired, a hundred thousand guns placed with unerring precision, and all across the horizon brilliant explosions bloom like necrotizing flowers. You launch your first spell, the Crucible of Flame, and forge-red runes flare across the length of your draconic cohorts, their wings beating with furious, unconquered vigor.

The enemy’s response is swift: across their battle lines, a thousand priests and pastors and bishops begin to sing, an anthem of war that promises glory and uplifts the spirit. You take the opportunity to peer into your foe’s mind, taking note of his magical resources and his plan of battle.

As their forerunners meet your charging horde, two unstoppable forces collide. Battlecruiers ram into Colossi, their prows denting and crumpling like crushed cans against the unbreakable bulwark of your machines. The first of your fifty-story titans takes a swipe at a nearby cruiser, upending it with one brutal stroke, and another raises its arm for a brutal haymaker, fist descending like a falling comet upon a hapless enemy battleship.

Enemy transports deposit their troops into a killing field; even the initial devastating blast of their cannon could not break your city-deep defense. From above, your dragons torch the helium-lofted airships of the Coalition, hurling flaming carcasses of planes onto battleship decks and crushing zeppelins between darksteel claws. Even as the enemy heavy cannons loose a second annihilating blast, you engage the Pope, avatar of the World Egg, in a furious exchange of spell and counterspell, wearing away at his readied magic while slowly accumulating more of your own. Your forces will have to fend until their countermagic is depleted.

It is a losing proposition. Mighty your armies may be, they have few answers to the total and crushing firepower disparity the enemy fleet possesses. Outgunned five-to-one, even your Dragons and Colossi are as handbuckets bailing out the tide. Even now, a full thousand of their ships turn their cannon on your towering golems, blessed cannonballs piercing darksteel and smashing joints. Slingstones they may be against the Goliath of your titans, nonetheless there are a thousand of them, and the first Colossus falls, its five-hundred-foot tall wreckage flattening three battleships beneath it.

“Meiling,” you manage to grunt out between two incantations, “remove His Holiness from play.”

“Yes, Master.” Your Hand leaps out of the command tower, dashing across the waves with ferocious speed. A battlecruiser bars her path and is cloven in twain; she vaults over the sinking wreckage without breaking stride.

Your titans take shelter below the waves, opting to pull enemy ships into a watery grave, and, thus submerged, no longer present a target to enemy cannons. As those weapons re-align on the city, you loose your Dragon Marines, those invincible and fearless fighting men, each a one-in-a-million talent. Screaming their loyalty to the Emperor, they take to the seas, darksteel plate serving them well against the small-arms fire of their foes, the Runes of the Deus of Calamity burning bright against their skin. The enemy’s landing operations stall and stop as each marine boards and systematically dismantles a transport, the blessed rounds of the enemy penetrating darksteel but unable to ravage reinforced organs and instant-clotting blood.

A third volley issues from the enemy cannon line, a near point-blank fusillade, and now your forces number only two and a half million. You smirk and give the signal for the fire ships to attack, and what your foes had believed to be merely civilian junks now show their true colors, a swarming throng of self-guided missiles with stone-burning reagents as their payload. Disciplined royal marine fire lacerates their charge, but their numbers are too great; hundreds of ironclads are felled, and now the harbor is a veritable mausoleum, more blood than water, the sands and stones of the beach painted a nearly pure crimson interrupted only by the occasional splotch of gore green or pale bone.

By now the enemy’s magic is falling, the feeble intellect of its human avatar unable to process spells quickly enough. Even as he attempts to disenchant your dragon-strengthening charm, you counter his spell and banish his anthem. The Dominus of Fealty appears at your side, bringing with him the loyalties of the H.M.S. Invincible, and men eye battle-brothers with wariness, distracted by signs of defection. The Colossi continue their slow, systematic drowning of enemy ships by the score, and Meiling slays another battlecruiser, the bright blue ice shard of her blade glowing as it absorbs a thousand souls and converts them into arcane power, channeled directly to you. You smile as you feel another spell fall into place in your mind.

With the Pope throwing his few remaining magics in Meiling’s inexorable path, you content yourself with keeping an eye out for anything truly deadly and begin to cast. The air ripples; the fabric of reality tears: a perfect copy of the Nemesis of Reason strides into the water, murky red-blue turned murkier still by its inky blight. It is the first of many; as the battle enters its second hour, so too does the sixth cloned Colossus enter the battlefield. Your call forth a grand strobing of space and time, doubling the harm your units can inflict for the next few exchanges, and on your next exchange Twincast an Unnerving Assault, sending your foes into paroxysms of stricken panic and eliciting a bloodthirsty roar from your charging millions. Meiling takes renewed vigor from the rallying cry of your servants and springs forward, lashing out and splitting four ships in half across the horizontal plane, then leaping off their corpses to directly assault the World Egg avatar. You watch in glee as she first separates his arm from his torso, then his torso from his legs, and finally, with the snick of steel against bone, his head from his neck. That, of course, is not enough to finish the incarnation of a world.

As the startled sky-blue eyes of your enemy stare into yours, you unleash an all-consuming and uncounterable Banefire at the flying globe of his cranium, your smug and triumphant grin mocking his last, desperately hoarded Lapse of Certainty.

“IT’S OVER!” You roar, and Meiling opens a scroll, teleporting to your side. “THE WORLD EGG’S DEFENSES ARE DOWN. WE JOURNEY NOW TO THE SEAL.”

“Master,” Meiling bows.

“Come, my Hand. The hour of my victory approaches. You will deal with the final defenses of the seal, and then, then...I will at last be free.” You snap your fingers, and the two of you disappear from the field of battle, leaving three million corpses in your wake. It will matter not soon, though - this world is ending today.

As you stride through the halls of the mountain-tomb in which the Dragon is housed, Meiling scythes through its guardian force, an assortment of ruby golems and animated gargoyles that fall to pieces before her precise, calculated strikes. “Master,” she says, joining you at your side, “be wary. There are many hidden attackers here.”

You nod. “Look after yourself. I am fine.”

The Seal. The instrument you’ve worked twelve years to unravel. It stands before you now, a towering rune of blood-red markings, and behind it rages-

No. That’s impossible. You move closer, hand outstretched to rest lightly on the seal, examining the creature which resides within.

Had you not suffered an ignominious defeat at the hands of such a creature, you wouldn’t recognize it. It’s from a branch of magic rarely practiced and even more rarely recorded. The magic of the soul. This is the complete red mana potential of a fully-fledged Pre-Mending Planeswalker Dragon, locked away within a human shell. Enough ambient energy escapes to render the container immortal and functionally superhuman. You begin chuckling, then erupt into full-blown, unfettered, unadulterated maniacal laughter. “It is all within my grasp,” you chortle, running your fingers over the buzzing lines of the seal. “Every petty dream, every grand scheme, every soul, every fear. It all flows through me and from me.”

“Master,” Meiling’s voice brings you out of your reverie. “Take me with you. Please. I have never requested anything from you in my short life, but I do not wish to integrate with- with her. She’s stupid and lazy and ignorant and doesn’t appreciate your majesty...I know it’ll take energy but I swear, I’ll more than make up for it in service. If I die, I wish to die by your hand, or by your side against your enemies. Not- not like this...” She trails off, tears flowing freely from her eyes. Your disciple is well aware of the amount of compassion that resides in the icy heart of Nicol Bolas. She knows her chances are slim.

“You...” you growl, “are such a troublesome girl. This is my decision. I...”

[ ] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).

[ ] “Will not take you with me.” You’re Nicol Bolas! Heartfelt, tear-stained appeals have no affect on you!

Also, decide what you’re going to do with the manasoul locked in Meiling.

[ ] Take just enough to break free, then unseal the rest. Real!Meiling will receive a major powerup, but be unable to control her powers unless she gets extensive retraining. However, if Ninja!Meiling is integrated into Real!Meiling, she’ll retrain extremely quickly.

[ ] [Mana Levelup] Take a good amount, enough to substantially increase your might while allowing Meiling to retain her current powers and immortality.

[ ] [DOUBLE Mana Levelup] SUCK IT DRY. Meiling will revert to a normal human.

>> No. 137924
[X] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).
[X] Take just enough to break free, then unseal the rest. Real!Meiling will receive a major powerup, but be unable to control her powers unless she gets extensive retraining. However, if Ninja!Meiling is integrated into Real!Meiling, she’ll retrain extremely quickly.
Ingratiate her to you, double the fun of fanatical, powerful minions.
>> No. 137925
Bolas' Spellbook:

CMC 1:

Lightning Bolt
Peek

CMC 2:

Mana Leak
Trickbind
Boomerang
Twincast

CMC 3:

Double Negative
Volcanic Fallout
Mulldrifter (5)
Stitch in Time
Unnerving Assault
Izzet Guildmage
Mark of Mutiny

CMC 4:

Elemental Appeal
Cryptic Command
Clone
Wild Ricochet

CMC 5:

Mind Control
Tidings
Corrupted Conscience
World At War
Runes of the Deus
Dominus of Fealty

CMC 6:

Time Stop
Nucklavee
Shivan Dragon
Draining Whelk

CMC 7+:

Blatent Thievery
Destructive Force
Bogardan Hellkite
Inkwell Leviathan
Form of the Dragon

X CMC:

Banefire
Comet Storm

First person to tell me where Bolas’ quote is from gets double voting power. Also, if Bolas absorbs the Pre-Mending Dragonsoul, you may choose one (1) broken Pre-Mending spell to add to his book. The choices are:

Counterspell - The most feared card in all of Magic. The original universal answer.
Fact or Fiction - This terrifying draw spell allows you to keep counter mana open during your opponent’s entire turn, then flood him with card advantage if he fails to draw a counter. Would dramatically shorten the time it takes Bolas to establish crushing card advantage over his enemies.
Mox Ruby - This legendary jewel contains the essence of Red Mana. Effectively a free mana level-up.
>> No. 137928
>>137925

Oh, I should mention that Form of the Dragon doesn't turn you into an Elder Dragon Planeswalker, it turns you into a non-Planeswalker Dragon that still knows spells. A non-PW Dragon and a neowalker human are about equivalent in brainpower, but the human is actually harder to kill.
>> No. 137929
>>137925
Shikamaru from Naruto.
>> No. 137933
My vote is on taking just enough to break free, but figuring out a way to merge them in a way that leaves our version the dominant one. Blue and Red combined should be good enough to find a way on short notice.
>>137929
That was me, BTW.
>> No. 137934
[x] “Will not take you with me.” You’re Nicol Bolas! Heartfelt, tear-stained appeals have no affect on you!

>>137929
My opinion on this story is already pretty goddamn low, but if we are truly down to the level of quoting fucking Naruto, of all things...
>> No. 137936
>>137929

Wow, I didn't intend that. I guess you are technically correct, so I'll give your vote double priority, but the actual quote is still up for grabs. It's a Magic character.
>> No. 137939
Not taking her with us means integrating her with Real!Meiling yeah? If so then


[X] “Will not take you with me.” You’re Nicol Bolas! Heartfelt, tear-stained appeals have no affect on you!

[X] Take just enough to break free, then unseal the rest. Real!Meiling will receive a major powerup, but be unable to control her powers unless she gets extensive retraining. However, if Ninja!Meiling is integrated into Real!Meiling, she’ll retrain extremely quickly.
>> No. 137941
Incidentally, not taking Ninja Meiling with you will almost certainly cause her to attack you. With immunity to Red and Blue and Doublestrike. I'm just sayin'.

[ ] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).

[ ] [Mana Levelup] Take a good amount, enough to substantially increase your might while allowing Meiling to retain her current powers and immortality.

You gain a powerful and loyal servant. The levelup will cover for the delevel. You don't piss off your SDM allies by sucking Hong dry. It ain't bad.
>> No. 137942
>>137941
also
[x]Mox Ruby

getting our mitts on one of the Power Nine? The other choices might as well not exist.
>> No. 137944
Damnit, I meant no effect. No effect!

>>137934

That's why I did it. Specifically to spite you. Aren't you special?
>> No. 137946
[x] “Will not take you with me.” You’re Nicol Bolas! Heartfelt, tear-stained appeals have no affect on you!
[x] Take just enough to break free, then unseal the rest. Real!Meiling will receive a major powerup, but be unable to control her powers unless she gets extensive retraining. However, if Ninja!Meiling is integrated into Real!Meiling, she’ll retrain extremely quickly.
>> No. 137948
>>137933

Woops, forgot to address this even though I saw it (Blue Scribbler Needs Sleep Badly!). Giving ninjaMeiling enough firepower to overwhelm realMeiling's much more established personality will cost about as much mana as actually manifesting ninjaMeiling, only you won't have the Sword of Ice and Fire or the Lightning Greaves out of it. Also, you'll be kinda killing realMeiling, insofar as her personality will be almost totally changed. However, I can see certain advantages to this path, so I'll let it stand as a viable write-in if you want.
>> No. 137949
[X] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).

[X] [DOUBLE Mana Levelup] SUCK IT DRY. Meiling will revert to a normal human.

[X] Fact or Fiction

Getting another mana level is more than worth the trouble of making real Meiling powerless. Remember, if we don't get mana level eight here, it'll be twice as hard to get as seven, and we had to CONQUER THE FREAKING WORLD to get seven. We can buff real Meiling later after we learn some enchantments.

Fact or Fiction is insanely good in this situation. Targets our most relevant combat parameter and boosts it to huge levels.
>> No. 137953
Okay, before anything else... we've gotten lots of new spells, and I think we're at 6 mana, up from 5 mana when we entered, is that right?

>>137928

Eh, exactly how does that work? Would we actually -lose- our Planeswalking ability at the cost of... er, dealing constant damage? Is Form of the Dragon basically just a buff spell we can cast during battles? If that's it, it seems kind of wasteful, and I'm not sure how well it meshes with our current spell list strategy... Though admitedly I don't play this game, at all.

Next question: if we take just enough to escape, does that count as absorbing the Dragonsoul? Or do we have to choose +1, or even +2 for that?


Also... really? She doesn't want to integrate? What EXACTLY would integration mean? Which "persona" would "win"? And how could we ensure we got the loyal persona?

We could spin this as another loyalty mission for Ninja!Meiling.. The outer Meiling is in a very "there but for the grace of god" situation. "Are you a badass enough ninja to train your replacement? You're willing to die for me -- even if it's by my hand -- but are you willing to reincarnate for me?"
>> No. 137958
>>137948

Oh, I wrote >>137953
before I saw that... Okay, so overwriting Outer!Meiling will weaken us, as well as lead to a whole host of other problems...

But what does "just" "integration" mean? Will Ninja!Meiling just flat-out vanish, swallowed in the sea of Outer!Meiling's soul? Will Outer!Meiling pick up the Ninja's training, habits, some personality?

Because the "You're willing to die for me... are you willing to reincarnate for me?" path might still work...
>> No. 137959
>>137953

You are at 6 mana if you absorb nothing, yes.

Form of the Dragon sets your life total to 5 at the end of every turn, versus a life total of 20 that doesn't regenerate. Thus, if someone Banefires you for 5 when you're in the Form of the Dragon, it is likely that you will die. You already can't planeswalk since you re-routed that part of your Spark into Blue Mana.

You need at least the +1 to get a broken Pre-Mending spell.

You're not sure exactly what integration means. Presumably the personalities would somehow merge, but it's likely that the only twenty-year-old Ninja!Meiling would be swallowed up by the hundreds of years old Real!Meiling. See above for the loyal persona thing.
>> No. 137964
We're at mana 6. Potentially we can gain up to Mana 9: Suck Meiling Dry +2, Mox Ruby +1.

Mana 9 is probably enough to fight the Eldrazi. We need no steenking Fact or Fiction.

HOWEVER. Real Meiling will win as the established, dominant personality if we leave Ninja Meiling in here. Although she will take on her traits (...and probably develop a crush on and/or unreasoning hatred of Nicol). And there's a very real risk of getting knifed before we leave.

Or we suck her dry, leave Ninja Meiling in there and tell her to take over, spin it as a loyalty mission. "If you want your freedom, you will have to earn it." Spend just enough juice to even the chances in Ninja Meiling's favor, but not enough to get the delevel or month-long penalty. Being in a weakened, mortal state, Real Meiling might be extra subscetible to such shenanigans. Especially if we influence her a little from the outside.

After she reincarnates, we can buff her back up. Shouldn't be hard with 9 mana.
>> No. 137966
Reinforce the persona enough to cause parity in the merger, favoring the ninja side. >>137964
Suck enough for a +1.
>> No. 137968
>>137959
the 20-life is disproportionately large if you view it as the life of a human neowalker. Even Progenitus and the Eldrazi only get around 10. My theory, with 20 life and the ability to pull out all sorts of world-shattering spells, the MTG players are in fact pre-Mending Planeswalkers.
>> No. 137969
Just a note, it's
>tear-stained appeals have no effect on you!

Just wanted to clear that up. Not a vote, I just had a deep bound hatred for affect/effect
>> No. 137972
>>137969

Yeah, we know. >>137944
>> No. 137975
>>137974
delete this post and try again. it makes my eyes water.
>> No. 137976
>>137974
Ladies and gentlemen may I present to you the Great Wall-post of THP.
>> No. 137980
>>137972

I'm blind. Sorry, I didn't catch that. Disregard my post then.

>>137974

I wasn't able to see this post. What was it about?
>> No. 137981
[x] “Will not take you with me.” You’re Nicol Bolas! Heartfelt, tear-stained appeals have no affect on you!
[x]Suck it dry.

What better kindness than to take her wasted draconic lineage.
>> No. 137982
[ X ] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).

[ X ] [Mana Levelup] Take a good amount, enough to substantially increase your might while allowing Meiling to retain her current powers and immortality.
>> No. 137985
> Seriously, starting with a 5/5 pro-blue/pro-red hasted double-striking trampling untargetable is a ridiculously awesome bonus, and off the top of my head I can't think of a half decent counter, especially with a blue planes-walker counter-spelling any attempt at removal.

Progenitus. Starts with 10/10 Pro-Everything. Brute force path.
>> No. 137986
>>137975
>>137976
sorry about that, I'm pretty tired and didn't think to make it more readable(or readable at all for that matter), so I'll try to condense it to a set of bullet points.

Salient points:
If we bring out Ninja!Meiling, we get a pretty damn powerful creature, that will more or less always be with us. She is very loyal, and right now we have no true allies/trusted servants. Check that list of skills she had, its pretty ridiculously broken. I sure wouldn't want to start a fight with somebody who has that from turn one, especially a blue planeswalker who would counterspell any removal attempts.

If we grab enough of Meiling's power to get one mana, and the mox ruby, then sac the mana to bring out Ninja!Meiling, we gain a one mana overall(from the Mox Ruby) and a powerful protector that more than makes up for the loss of mana and the tiredness.

We can tell Real!Meiling that Ninja!Meiling is more or less her sister, whom we saved from death/nonexistance, even though it cost us mana capacity to do so. She will be more willing to trust us for that, and will likely not raise a fuss about the power we took.

If we drain her dry, it could potentially piss off Remilia and the rest of the Scarlet Devil mansion, because as a human I don't think Meiling would be up to guarding the gates anymore.

I vote for bringing Ninja!meiling out, and taking one mana and the Mox Ruby from the seal.
>> No. 137987
>>137985
and how likely is it that we would be facing that down from turn one? Also, i think you can counter it before it hits the field, while its still a spell. Sure, it goes back to the library, but its not on the field, and you can destroy the opponent before they get it out again, or counterspell it again. Long story short, while progenitus could beat her, it would die doing so, and there are other ways of dealing with progenitus. The mana requirements alone are a bitch and a half.
>> No. 137989
>>137985

Actually, they can never effectively fight each other because Meiling has pro blue and progenitus is blue, thus he can't block her and progenitus himself can't be blocked. Pretty amusing.

>>137987

Okay, dude. Your vote contains well-reasoned arguments, don't wear out your welcome. The guy was not attacking you, he was making an offhand comment, there is no need to get defensive. You should probably get some sleep.
>> No. 137991
>>137989
Amusingly, i had just put my computer to sleep and climbed into bed when i realized the exact same thing, and only climbed back out to mention it. Besides, the fact that it takes progenitus, who is a god equivalent, to match our ninja is pretty crazy.

And sorry bout that second post didn't mean to sound defensive,it just seemed pretty absurd, and it seems my incredulousness wasn't expressed. It's like the idea of facing Emrakul, the Aeons Torn turn 2/3 or something. I think green could do it, but it would have to use something like elvish piper, so you wouldn't get the extra turn from playing him, but still, a 15/15 on the field that fast, with pro- colored-spells, flying and annihilator 6? OUCH! It can be done, but that's just cheesy.
>> No. 137994
File 13007755237.jpg - (68.13KB , 312x445 , 123.jpg ) [iqdb]
137994
The quote in question is from Memnarch.

[X] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).

[X] [Mana Levelup] Take a good amount, enough to substantially increase your might while allowing Meiling to retain her current powers and immortality.

Good help is hard to find.
>> No. 137995
[x] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).

[X] [Mana Levelup] Take a good amount, enough to substantially increase your might while allowing Meiling to retain her current powers and immortality.
>> No. 137998
File 130077688737.png - (287.64KB , 410x308 , Time Ninja.png ) [iqdb]
137998
[x] Delevel, +1 Ninja
[x] +1 Level
[x]Mox Ruby

Our Pro-Blue Shroud Ninja may be enough to counter their bloody Time Ninja. If I recall correctly, SDM is primarily Black/Red. Useful there too.
>> No. 138000
[X] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).
[X] [Mana Levelup] Take a good amount, enough to substantially increase your might while allowing Meiling to retain her current powers and immortality.
[X] Mox Ruby

While we're not sentimental nor emotional she has proven herself a valuable, powerful and loyal servant.
It would be a waste to throw such an asset away for short term gain and petty pride. Nicol's, still dominant, Blue side should know this.

Awkward conversations only last as long as we're on Gensokyo. From Nicol's point of view, as far as his plans are concerned, that time will be nearly insignificant.
(Besides, Elixir of Immortality is a 1 mana artifact and is well within the given limits of our spell research. Post 9th core set. We still have another research session left in Voile, too. We could research 4 spells in Voile, so far we've had one vote with max 2 spells in that vote.
We may or may not mock Eirin a bit after that, too.
Her biggest achievement, bottled Immortality, is so easy for us to create that we've basically ignored it as being too trivial for us.)

Our explanation for the other Meiling.. We could just twist the truth a bit and tell them that it is an aspect of Meiling that had to be separated from her to hold the excess power, due to circumstances that would take too long to explain, to prevent the power locked inside her from going haywire.
Which is pretty much all true, except the circumstances are easily explained. Nicol wants power and can't be bothered to explain himself to mindless simians.
We spent twelve years in there. If anyone demands the full explanation, tell them just how long it will take to explain. I mean, just replaying his experiences would take twelve years. Explaining every important detail would take several times that long. Also, we'd most likely have to start by spending years just explaining Earth's history to give them a proper sense of what the original situation was.
And no, there is no abridged version. That would cut out too many important facts.


Our main goal is still to regain our full power. A double level up would be good for that, but the long term drawbacks aren't worth it. (Losing the few "allies" we have on this plane will set us back incredibly far. We're not likely to find anyone else to help us.)
But let's at least take the Ruby so we can fuel the release of "our" Meiling while still boosting our own power as well.
She will continue to be a valuable asset and, in the long term, boost our reacquiring of mana from Gensokyo. We've got a lot of mana power-ups to go until we're at full power. Getting greedy and grabbing an extra now at the cost of losing our only "allies" is not worth it.
A modest power up while gaining a loyal and useful servant without overly antagonizing his current hostess is, in my opinion, the best choice for Bolas if he wants to have a real shot at regaining his full power.
>> No. 138001
With 9 mana, Blatant Thievery can be cast with 2 mana to spare for counters. This means that we pretty much don't need allies on the way out.

Also, if we do decide to keep our alliances and give Meiling her powers back, it's just a matter of crafting a few minor artifacts and pushing Eirin to hand over a Hourai elixir. All this can be done at far lesser cost than a permanent point of mana. So I am very much against not sucking Meiling dry.

Far as the agent goes, leaving her inside with enough juice to pop back out seems to be cheaper, too. Especially if we Blatant Thievery Meiling from the outside. The equipment and buffs can be recrafted, but the extra mana is a lot harder to get.
>> No. 138003
Well, do recall that this Meiling is innately a 3/3 Double Strike Trample. >_> That's a helluva base to build on.
>> No. 138006
>>138000
>You gain 5 life. Shuffle Elixir of Immortality and your graveyard into their owner's library
>"Bottled life. Not as tasty as I'm used to, rather stale, but it has the same effect."

Judging by the effect and flavor text, it just extends life, not make you truly immortal. The Hourai Elixir would likely be much more expensive to craft.
>> No. 138007
[+] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).

I remember it being said before we could already make an elixir of immortality (it's an artifact if I recall correctly) before we hopped into the egg.

[+] [Mana Levelup] Take a good amount, enough to substantially increase your might while allowing Meiling to retain her current powers and immortality.

Double the Meiling, double the fun.
Hopefully not double the 'Isn't it sad...?'

No preference for the spell, really. I like each of them too much.
>> No. 138008
File 130077892831.jpg - (43.76KB , 234x320 , izzet_boilerworks.jpg ) [iqdb]
138008
[X] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).
[X] Take just enough to break free, then unseal the rest. Real!Meiling will receive a major powerup, but be unable to control her powers unless she gets extensive retraining. However, if Ninja!Meiling is integrated into Real!Meiling, she’ll retrain extremely quickly.

Guys, if we take the mana, we just get a moderately powerful dragon youkai as a minion rather than a full-blown Planewalker. Definitely go with the latter, in my opinion; we can make up for it by going and suborning the Kappa. Pic related, how we can regain the mana we've lost.
>> No. 138009
>>138008
You will end up with 5 mana, a whole month's worth of weakness, and a Planeswalker minion more powerful than you are, bound by nothing more than 'loyalty', however much that's worth.

Not an enviable position to be in.
>> No. 138011
>Progenitus
First thoughts: We're fucked
Wow new thread already?
>> No. 138012
[X] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).

[X] [DOUBLE Mana Levelup] SUCK IT DRY. Meiling will revert to a normal human.
>> No. 138013
[X] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).

[X] [DOUBLE Mana Levelup] SUCK IT DRY. Meiling will revert to a normal human.

To cover what's happening either , pretend that Ninja!Meiling was the real Meiling all along, and that the old one was just a false personality. On emergence from the World Egg use your magic to steal the memories of the old Meling and give them to her servant whilst annihilating the old one's body. The idea is to produce a seamless replacement of Meiling, so no one realises the original is gone.

We're Nicholas Bole. We gain a useful servant and a power up.
>> No. 138014
>>137994

Dingdingding! We have a winner. Congratulations on your doubled voting power for this vote.

>>138003

Real Meiling is actually a 2RGW 5/5 hasty reach vigilance trampler, but due to how broken double strike is, Ninja Meiling is more powerful when buffed. Of course, Real Meiling isn't suicidally loyal to you, either.

>>138001

Screw Blatant Thievery, at 9 mana you can hardcast Dichotomancy! EOT Gigadrowse, untap into Dichotomancy and win!

>>138000

You can still research up to 4 core or 2 block spells in Voile; the last library vote was beaten by "blue mana focus."

If you guys do choose later to research spells, here are my suggestions:

> Piracy Charm: Instant speed discard for U! If you have the edge on cards you can basically lock an opponent out forever with this spell in your arsenal.

> Pongify: Instant speed Terminate for U! You have a 5/5 double striker, you don't fear 3/3 Apes! Plus, you can turn people into apes! Show them their simian ancestors!

> Gigadrowse: Extremely versatile tap spell. Shuts down lands, artifacts, creatures, etc. at modular cost and instant speed.

> Djinn Illuminatus: Untap with this guy on the board and it's game! Cast one Lightning bolt, Replicate it six times for 21 damage! It's stupidly powerful!

> Guttural Response: Wanna win counter wars? Pack this.
>> No. 138015
>>138014
which artifact won?
>> No. 138017
[X] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).
[X] [Mana Levelup] Take a good amount, enough to substantially increase your might while allowing Meiling to retain her current powers and immortality.
[X] Mox Ruby

Biggest fan of this combo.
>> No. 138018
>>138006
That's the effect on planeswalker level people and when consumed by a vampire instead of "drinking" the life of a person, respectively.
For regular mortals, I believe it will still be a potion that actually grants immortality.
Of course, the Hourai Elixir is still more powerful, because it also grants total invincibility. But she doesn't have to know that if/when we're mocking her.
>> No. 138022
[x] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).

[x] [Mana Levelup] Take a good amount, enough to substantially increase your might while allowing Meiling to retain her current powers and immortality.

I think this means we're back on 6 when we leave?
>>138014
Meiling retains her powers with this right? So more or less, free completely loyal powerhouse?
>> No. 138027
>>138022
One level up, one level back down.
+/- 0

If you also go for the Mox Ruby, then you're +1 Loyal Henchwoman and +1 mana power, but you won't get any of the pretty broken old spells instead.
Decisions, decisions...
>> No. 138036
[X] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).
[X] [Mana Levelup] Take a good amount, enough to substantially increase your might while allowing Meiling to retain her current powers and immortality.
[X] Mox Ruby
>> No. 138041
[X] “Will not take you with me.” You’re Nicol Bolas! Heartfelt, tear-stained appeals have no affect on you!

[X] Take just enough to break free, then unseal the rest. Real!Meiling will receive a major powerup, but be unable to control her powers unless she gets extensive retraining. However, if Ninja!Meiling is integrated into Real!Meiling, she’ll retrain extremely quickly.
>> No. 138042
>>138022
Adding
[x] Mox Ruby
>> No. 138043
[X] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).
[X] [Mana Levelup] Take a good amount, enough to substantially increase your might while allowing Meiling to retain her current powers and immortality.
[X] Mox Ruby
>> No. 138050
[ X ] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).

[ X ] [Mana Levelup] Take a good amount, enough to substantially increase your might while allowing Meiling to retain her current powers and immortality.
>> No. 138054
[X] [Mana Delevel 1, exhausted for a month] “Will take you with me.” Ninja!Meiling will appear as a separate entity from the real Meiling, with all her equipment intact. Will almost certainly cause awkward conversations with everyone. You will have to find a way to make her immortal if you want to keep her around for any appreciable length of time (in dragon time).
[X] [2x Mana Levelup] Suckt it Dry, we shall compensate her later (Try to give her the same inmortality as Ninja!Meiling so she can continue her simple life of sleeping at the gate)
[X] Mox Ruby (If i understood correctly, we can only choose Pre-Mending Spells if we suck dry the manasoul, if not, DO NOT suck it dry only take 1 manalevel)
>> No. 138055
[X] “Will not take you with me.” You’re Nicol Bolas! Heartfelt, tear-stained appeals have no affect on you!

[X] Take just enough to break free, then unseal the rest. Real!Meiling will receive a major powerup, but be unable to control her powers unless she gets extensive retraining. However, if Ninja!Meiling is integrated into Real!Meiling, she’ll retrain extremely quickly.
>> No. 138056
+1 ninja, -1 level
+1 levels to compensate
+1 mox ruby

If someone asks what two Meilings could be useful for, grin hugely. Even if Ninja Meiling can't stand Original Meiling. I'm sure we can make the original one nearly as awesome. (Not as awesome because there is no easy source of souls in Gensokyo)
>> No. 138057
File 130081910432.gif - (213.59KB , 622x489 , e_1840_CapChusan_Allom78039.gif ) [iqdb]
138057
The World Egg recedes, crumbling away like a vampire before the noonday sun. Grabbing your servant, you pierce the seal with a single, guttural word and reverse the spin polarity of your spark, drawing in mana like a vacuum. You restrain yourself from sucking the entity dry: unsealing it will allow it to provide much more ambient mana to Meiling, so she’ll remain as powerful after you drain the entity as she was when the entity was whole but sealed. As your servant holds on for dear life, you shunt a massive burst of mana to your Spark, enough for one jaunt through the Blind Eternities - and walk the aeons.

You and Meiling appear in the laboratory, the remains of the diagnostic machine still spilling fresh blue-white liquid over the floor. The ‘real’ Meiling is slumped over in her chair, clearly still unconscious, and Eirin’s look of panic slowly changes into shock and curiosity. So. Your Temporal Dilation hypothesis was correct. Would that you hadn’t had to waste twelve years to prove it. Well...you smile as you finger the ruby that has materialized around your next...it wasn’t a complete waste.

Eirin barges into the room, hurling off her lab goggles and rubbing her eyes in disbelief. “Did what I think just happened...happen?”

You stare into and past her. “Twelve years, Eirin Yagokuro. It’s been twelve years.”

She seems to weaken, as if her whole body were temporarily made of tissue, holding the side of the wall to support herself. It seems that the shock of the situation has temporarily pushed her animosity towards you aside - showing weakness like that could be fatal to an enemy. “I- I can’t believe it. The implications...and...her?” Eirin gestures towards your servant.

“It’s a long story, but let’s just say she’s exactly who you think she is.”

At this, Eirin manages to muster a bit of outrage. “How could you- but, considering who I’m talking to, it makes sense. Frankly, I’m surprised you brought her with you.”

“You’re not the only one.” You glance appraisingly at your Meiling, who is still a bit taken aback by the Walk.

The first time is never easy.

“And...I see you’ve picked up some accoutrements.”

“Exploited World Egg mechanics, yes. I had some very promising theses when I departed. Well,” you growl, “I’m not just going to stand here. Meiling, think of a name people around here can call you so as to avoid confusion. Eirin, gather the relevant players, I won’t be telling my story more than once.”

Still stunned, Eirin complies with your command without hesitation. Then again, it may not be that...it could simply be that you’ve gotten better at interacting with humans after twelve years as Emperor of a nation.

Eirin’s assembly is large, and you are forced to accommodate everything in one of Eientei’s theater rooms. You decide that, even as experienced as you’ve become, it’s unlikely you’ll be able to lie successfully to Yuyuko or a being like her, so the truth, relatively inoffensive as it is, will be the best option.

There are many here you do not know - a black-haired girl in a miko’s dress whom many of the residents seem to defer to, a princess-like figure who bosses Eirin around, a short female with some sort of monstrosity on her head, and a green-haired girl with a frog hairclip. Yukari joins you on stage; she claims she’ll inform the audience about the Eldrazi as a preamble to your explanation. You shrug and let her, but are rather dubious to her ability to convince the assembly that this is nothing more than one of their mundane ‘incidents.’

After the story is told and the questions fielded, you and Shadow Meiling head back to the Scarlet Devil Mansion. You intend to sleep for twenty-four hours straight, but what will you do after that?

[ ] Research spells in the Voile library. It’s been too long since you were without a magical library. If you choose this option, pick which 4 core or 2 block spells Nicol is going to research. Because Shadow Meiling is helping you, it won’t take more than a day to exhaust the potential of the entire library.

[ ] Barge into Keine’s classroom again and conscript her into helping you find magical reagents for artifice. Her limited omniscient form will be especially helpful in that regard, and her students could use another lesson. Repetition is, after all, the key to a deep impression.

[ ] Screw that, go have tea with Yuyuko! You’ve put this off for twelve years. Your swordswoman attendant can glower at hers!

[ ] Write In. You estimate you have 2 months, 3 weeks, and 11 days until the Eldrazi leave their prison plane of Zendikar.
>> No. 138058
[X] Screw that, go have tea with Yuyuko! You’ve put this off for twelve years. Your swordswoman attendant can glower at hers!
>> No. 138059
[X] Screw that, go have tea with Yuyuko! You’ve put this off for twelve years. Your swordswoman attendant can glower at hers!
>> No. 138060
[ ] Research spells in the Voile library. It’s been too long since you were without a magical library. If you choose this option, pick which 4 core or 2 block spells Nicol is going to research. Because Shadow Meiling is helping you, it won’t take more than a day to exhaust the potential of the entire library.
I really have no magic lore, last time i played Urza was the current set...
>> No. 138061
[X] Research spells in the Voile library. It’s been too long since you were without a magical library. If you choose this option, pick which 4 core or 2 block spells Nicol is going to research. Because Shadow Meiling is helping you, it won’t take more than a day to exhaust the potential of the entire library.

Screw tea, we can always do that later.

1. Piracy Charm
2. Shattering Spree
>> No. 138062
[X] Screw that, go have tea with Yuyuko! You’ve put this off for twelve years. Your swordswoman attendant can glower at hers!

Time to see just how much Bolas was affected by those twelve years.
>> No. 138063
[♦] Screw that, go have tea with Yuyuko! You’ve put this off for twelve years. Your swordswoman attendant can glower at hers!
Just spent 12 years working his ass off. A bit of relaxation is due.
>> No. 138064
[X] Screw that, go have tea with Yuyuko! You’ve put this off for twelve years. Your swordswoman attendant can glower at hers!
>> No. 138065
>>138057
>[ ] Screw that, go have tea with Yuyuko! You’ve put this off for twelve years. Your swordswoman attendant can glower at hers!

Do this first. You've gained some insight into the utility of mortals over the past twelve subjective years, and you've just seen how White Magic can be potent at enhancing them. Perhaps you can tease out some secrets of how to exploit it. Don't take Ninja!Meiling with you though.

>[ ] Write In. You estimate you have 2 months, 3 weeks, and 11 days until the Eldrazi leave their prison plane of Zendikar.

Take all the other options on the list as well, and fully exploit the fact that you have an utterly loyal handmaid at your disposal. Send her out with Keine after reagents and artifacts. Warn her of the stupid spellcard customs, and not kill anyone but Fairies.

Do you have the ability to set up any accelerated time zones to rerun your magitechnical revolution?
>> No. 138066
[X] Screw that, go have tea with Yuyuko! You’ve put this off for twelve years. Your swordswoman attendant can glower at hers!

Yuyuko corrupted or Bolas redeemed.
One one side I want Bolas to stay as the asshole villain he is, but on the other.. Well, I'm a sucker for redemption stories so I'm okay with that too.

Tea doesn't take long though, and if we can go through the Voile library in a day, that still leaves 2 months, 3 weeks, and 9 days to prepare for an Eldrazi invasion.

We already have the firepower (danmaku), as long as everyone understands just how big a treat the Eldrazi are, and are willing to work together to stop them.
Bolas could go running around building artifacts of mass destruction but I believe that, just like in China, he can't do this alone. He should know his, too.

I say we spend the time preparing everyone who can fight for what it is like to face the Eldrazi. That will help a lot more than building weapons.
I'm thinking something like using Mind Control and other mind-affecting effects to show them what it will be like to fight them. Anyone who can't stand up to a mental browbeating from Nicol would only be a liability once the Eldrazi start appearing and driving people insane by their mere existence.
Satori would be a great help here. With her, we can probably hold two "classes" at the same time.

I believe some of the more powerful inhabitants of Gensokyo could probably deal with it well enough through mental discipline or sheer willpower. (I imagine the oni would do pretty well, too. They'll probably just be too drunk to be able to actually tell what's in front of them.)

Everyone else need to train their mental defenses or they'll be a gibbering wreck once the first wave appears. (And we really don't need people going "TWO LEGS! ALL IS DUST! IÄ, IÄ! FTAGHN!" in the middle of battle.)

One of the Touhous, probably Reimu (Bolas doesn't know everyone well enough), should also begin organizing people into specific roles for the war, because this will be a war, depending on their powers and such.
Satori is definitely head of intelligence as long as she doesn't go insane from looking directly into the heart of Madness.
Aya and Hatate are also good candidates for battlefield intelligence, for obvious reasons.
Marisa is probably "heavy artillery", as is Flandre as long as we can rely on her not going even more insane than usual. Eirin, chief of medical staff (duh). And so on.
>> No. 138067
Does Sword of Feast and Famine count as spell research or will we have to bug Keine for that? (i.e., do you mean spells as per the magic term or instants/sorceries?)
>> No. 138068
[x] Inform Ninja!Meling about spellcard rules, before we forget.
-[x] Exeption: Fairies. Feel free to butcher those if they get to annoying.
[x] Go for a quick tour of Gensokyo to recruit fighters and prepare them for the Eldrazis mind altering effects by experiance.(I.E. with mental effects of your own)
-[x] start off with tea with Yuyuko, 12 YEARS!!!
-[x] Check lunar calender to see when Kienie is next in EX-mode. when she is, use her omniesence to find magic artifacts.
-[x] Ask Eirin if she can twist the lunar capital's arm into helping, the Eldrazi are bad news for everyone, afterall.
-[x] Ask Yukari about any hidden, powerful bieings in Gensokyo we could rally against the Eldrazi, from powerful spirits to entire sub-planes.
-[x] stop by Viole and learn...
Piracy charm.
Gigadrowze

Alot to do so we may as well get the wall of text out of the way. This is gonna be a big battle so we should get all able arms involved, regardless of past differances.
>> No. 138072
[X] Research spells in the Voile library. It’s been too long since you were without a magical library. If you choose this option, pick which 4 core or 2 block spells Nicol is going to research. Because Shadow Meiling is helping you, it won’t take more than a day to exhaust the potential of the entire library.

Screw tea, we can always do that later.

1. Piracy Charm
2. Shattering Spree
>> No. 138073
File 130083289646.jpg - (31.33KB , 223x310 , Image_ashx.jpg ) [iqdb]
138073
>>138067
Artifacts involve fetch quests, I believe.

Speaking of Artifacts, I recommend picture related.

Also, spells:

Training Grounds was mentioned earlier. With an Izzet Guildmage on the table it's like a much cheaper Djinn Illuminatus. Drop both TG and Guildmage on the first turn and still be able to Lightning for 15!

Also, if we're able to craft picture related, we will also need Filigree Sages. With Training Grounds and the Chalice on the table, you can get infinite mana. Infinite mana + Banefire = win.

Would it be a bad idea to summon a Spawnspire of Ulamog with our infinite mana?
>> No. 138074
[x] Inform Ninja!Meling about spellcard rules, before we forget.
-[x] Exeption: Fairies. Feel free to butcher those if they get to annoying.
[x] Go for a quick tour of Gensokyo to recruit fighters and prepare them for the Eldrazis mind altering effects by experiance.(I.E. with mental effects of your own)
-[x] start off with tea with Yuyuko, 12 YEARS!!!
-[x] Check lunar calender to see when Kienie is next in EX-mode. when she is, use her omniesence to find magic artifacts.
-[x] Ask Eirin if she can twist the lunar capital's arm into helping, the Eldrazi are bad news for everyone, afterall.
-[x] Ask Yukari about any hidden, powerful bieings in Gensokyo we could rally against the Eldrazi, from powerful spirits to entire sub-planes.
-[x] stop by Viole and learn...
Training Grounds
Everflowing Chalice
>> No. 138075
Are we restricted to standard for artifacts too? Seeding the place with ensnaring bridges would make life a lot easier against the eldrazi.

Ghostly prison and that other, more recent card with a similar effect that I forget the name of would be useful too.

Really, anything we can get on the ground that doesn't require us to spend out own mana reserves is going to be useful.
>> No. 138076
File 130083776268.jpg - (78.36KB , 312x445 , 48.jpg ) [iqdb]
138076
When you awaken, Shadow Meiling is standing guard at the foot of your bed. She perks up as you open your eyes. “Master,” she says happily. “You slept for so long.”

You grunt and pull on a dress shirt. “Tea.”

“My apologies Master, I investigated the matter in anticipation of your awakening, but all the teas stored in this mansion and manufactured in the human village do not meet your standards.”

You nod. “I know. We’re going to Hakugyokuro.”

“The Court of the Netherworld, Master?

“Yes.”

Meiling fidgets a bit. You can tell she’s just a little excited to visit a place she’s only heard of in stories. It’s sometimes hard to treat her as only a twenty-year-old girl; the depth of her experiences are far greater.

After you finish dressing, Meiling takes your arm and you teleport to the residence of the ghost princess. A muffled squawk accompanies your arrival and you see the gardener Konpaku fall on her posterior, apparently interrupted in the midst of some delicate procedure.

Rubbing her behind, Youmu turns around. “You!”

“Me.”

“Don’t address Master so presumptuously!” Meiling intercepts the gardener.

“M-Master? Oh, you’re the other one. I...”

Ah, you’ve trained her well. With Youmu’s attentions directed completely at your servant, you are free to wander into Yuyuko’s home.

“Bolas-sama! My, please forgive me, I was not expecting visitors so early.” Yuyuko is still in her nightgown, her pale, slender feet exposed to the air.

“Not at all. Rather,” you say, “you should forgive me, for that is exactly why I arrived at this time.”

“Are you here for morning tea?” She offers to pour you a cup.

“It’s a habit I picked up during my reign as Emperor. The mental energy I spent suppressing tiredness could more efficiently be allocated.”

“It must have been difficult, Bolas-sama. Or, should I call you Emperor Nicol I?” She giggles.

You scoff. “Titles. They’re nothing more than chains of responsibility that the weak use to fool the strong.”

“Oh my. A very strong opinion.”

“Anything that restricts one’s options is more burden than help.”

“But, Bolas-sama, don’t you think responsibilities can be good, too?”

You see where she’s going with this. “Surely, Your Majesty, you cannot be unaware of the logical implications of that statement. The glorification of adversity is hardly something someone in your position can justify.”

“Bolas-sama, I feel sometimes we do not need to carry all the logical implications. Sometimes, the statement is enough.”

“Rank sentimentality.” You deliver your verdict. “In a world in which you possess no significant opposition, such thoughts are perhaps permissible. But-”

“-There’s always a greater power, isn’t there?” Yuyuko smiles at you, a teasing glint in her eyes.

“Hmph. I suppose - how did you put it? - I walked straight into that one.” Your social instincts have dulled even as your force of personality has increased. You never would have expected one of your courtiers to lead you along a line of conversation designed to make you spout your catchphrase.

“Bolas-sama.” Yuyuko’s smile turns sad. “there is something I would like to ask of you. I am hesitant because you have already done so much for me, but...something inexplicable has taken place.”

“Continue.” You rumble. What is with this place and inexplicable happenings? Some sort of curse? You’ll investigate later.

“Myon’s disappeared!” Yuyuko wails, pouting. “Youmu-chan says she doesn’t feel Myon anywhere, but is otherwise fine. However, I am most unsettled by this. As the Ruler of the Netherworld, my powers should extend to all phantasms, but I can’t locate her at all.”

“Ah. And the typical problem-solvers of this plane do not specialize in divination magics. Yes, I see your problem.” Your eyes ignite with ghost-blue flame as you cast Tidings, to find...

...Not much at all. A vague sense of uneasiness, and an extremely general direction. You get the sensation of something old, yet still fundamentally human. You are fairly sure ‘Myon,’ Youmu’s ghostly half, is in no immediate danger.

[ ] The Eldrazi are a higher priority. Unfortunately this matter will have to wait. Inform Yuyuko of your findings and convey your regrets that you’ll be unable to assist further until you consider this plane’s defenses adequate.

[ ] This mystery is intriguing, and you have several months before the Eldrazi even leave Zendikar, let alone come here. With all the progress you’ve made lately, it shouldn’t be too much harm to take a day or two ‘off’ and investigate the matter more thoroughly. Plus, without further investigation, you can’t rule out the possibility, however remote, that this represents a threat even graver than that of the Eldrazi.
>> No. 138077
>>138076
more Gensokyo silliness, probably. It can wait.

[x]The Eldrazi are a higher priority. Unfortunately this matter will have to wait. Inform Yuyuko of your findings and convey your regrets that you’ll be unable to assist further until you consider this plane’s defenses adequate.

[x] stop by Viole and learn...
Training Grounds
Filigree Sages

[x] Construct an Everflowing Chalice
>> No. 138078
>[ ] This mystery is intriguing, and you have several months before the Eldrazi even leave Zendikar, let alone come here. With all the progress you’ve made lately, it shouldn’t be too much harm to take a day or two ‘off’ and investigate the matter more thoroughly. Plus, without further investigation, you can’t rule out the possibility, however remote, that this represents a threat even graver than that of the Eldrazi.
Whatever you discover, arranging for the Queen of the Underworld to be in your debt will certainly be useful, not least in marshalling this sub-planes resources for the coming war. The search itself will provide a good excuse for auditing what is available.

However, that does not mean that you efforts to advance the war effort should not be made. Shadow Meiling should begin searching for reagents with Keine.
>> No. 138079
File 13008390975.jpg - (63.26KB , 312x445 , 243.jpg ) [iqdb]
138079
>>138065

You do not have the ability to set up accelerated time demiplanes deliberately. If you did, you would have done so long, long ago.

Regarding artifacts: The comment about fetch quests was most correct. Bolas knows how to make a great many artifacts, but in order to actually forge them, he needs specific ingredients. Rather than asking for an artifact and seeing if the ingredients exist in Gensokyo (astronomically unlikely), I will tell you what artifacts are possible from the ingredients you find. Bolas did not choose specifically to create the Sword of Ice and Fire for his assassin; he simply gave her the best sword he could forge with the materials he had. The same is true of his suit of Slagwurm armor. Well, that and Bolas finds it amusing to once again rub the superiority of dragons over land wurms in.

<-Emperor Bolas' Slagwurm armor. Pretty bitchin' eh?
>> No. 138080
[+] This mystery is intriguing, and you have several months before the Eldrazi even leave Zendikar, let alone come here. With all the progress you’ve made lately, it shouldn’t be too much harm to take a day or two ‘off’ and investigate the matter more thoroughly. Plus, without further investigation, you can’t rule out the possibility, however remote, that this represents a threat even graver than that of the Eldrazi.

We're never going to turn her if we don't cultivate some sort of relationship. And then there's the inevitable change in opinion of others as word gets out along with Yuyuko's potential help in rallying the other residents of Gensokyo.

Let Nicol get some good PR while we have some lackeys subordinates like Keine get to searching for reagents.
>> No. 138081
[x] This mystery is intriguing, and you have several months before the Eldrazi even leave Zendikar, let alone come here. With all the progress you’ve made lately, it shouldn’t be too much harm to take a day or two ‘off’ and investigate the matter more thoroughly. Plus, without further investigation, you can’t rule out the possibility, however remote, that this represents a threat even graver than that of the Eldrazi.

I can't help but laugh at the thought of Nicol using up tons of mana and time on finding Myon only for her whereabouts to be something ridiculously easy to explain.

It's too funny to not vote for, even if it is extremely human.
>> No. 138083
[x] This mystery is intriguing, and you have several months before the Eldrazi even leave Zendikar, let alone come here. With all the progress you’ve made lately, it shouldn’t be too much harm to take a day or two ‘off’ and investigate the matter more thoroughly. Plus, without further investigation, you can’t rule out the possibility, however remote, that this represents a threat even graver than that of the Eldrazi.
[X] Send Shadow Meiling off on Fetch quests while you are busy, use the time you are searching to learn more on the capabilities of other inhabitants to more efficiently use them in the defense of this plane/yourself.
>> No. 138084
[x] This mystery is intriguing, and you have several months before the Eldrazi even leave Zendikar, let alone come here. With all the progress you’ve made lately, it shouldn’t be too much harm to take a day or two ‘off’ and investigate the matter more thoroughly. Plus, without further investigation, you can’t rule out the possibility, however remote, that this represents a threat even graver than that of the Eldrazi.
[X] Send Shadow Meiling off on Fetch quests while you are busy, use the time you are searching to learn more on the capabilities of other inhabitants to more efficiently use them in the defense of this plane/yourself.

I'm intrigued. And wish to have tea with Yuyuko more often. That's more verbal sparing then we're ever likely to get! She's just about the only being as Eldritch as ourselves, bar Yukari, and the only one we can expect interesting semi-serious discussion out of.
>> No. 138085
I'm amused how lightly you guys are taking this assignment. Going so far as to leave your bodyguard on other duties, is that wise...?
>> No. 138086
[X] This mystery is intriguing, and you have several months before the Eldrazi even leave Zendikar, let alone come here. With all the progress you’ve made lately, it shouldn’t be too much harm to take a day or two ‘off’ and investigate the matter more thoroughly. Plus, without further investigation, you can’t rule out the possibility, however remote, that this represents a threat even graver than that of the Eldrazi.
>> No. 138087
I suggest we call Shadow!Meiling by the name Lei Meiling.
>> No. 138088
Eh, I think the tea visit was silly but...

Frankly what we would want from Hakugyokuro is something simple but important: to learn why this incarnation of death is nice and bearable.

That's going to be very important. Because of how eldritch the Eldrazi are, it's very hard to even *face* them. Maybe Yuyuko doesn't melt minds only because of some quality SHE possesses. But if there is something, anything, people can do, or think, or experience, or learn from Yuyuko to be able to bear the thought of passing away... maybe that can help them stand against the Eldrazi.

Of course we wouldn't want this to backfire. It'd suck if people began to expect death to be nice, only to meet the Eldrazi... But there's got to be SOMEthing Yuyuko could do?
>> No. 138094
>>138087

Which 'Lei' are you referring to? Lei as in thunder?
>> No. 138097
[x] This mystery is intriguing, and you have several months before the Eldrazi even leave Zendikar, let alone come here. With all the progress you’ve made lately, it shouldn’t be too much harm to take a day or two ‘off’ and investigate the matter more thoroughly. Plus, without further investigation, you can’t rule out the possibility, however remote, that this represents a threat even graver than that of the Eldrazi.

[X]Research Training Ground and Rite of Flame, the next opportunity you get. Infinite Red mana for the win.
>> No. 138098
>>138097
Manamorphose is better than Rite of Flame. Mana AND card-draw, and it produces mana of any color.
>> No. 138099
>>138098
Yes, but you can't use it for infinite mana, because you'll run out of cards in your library and deck yourself.
>> No. 138100
>>138099
do you really need infinite mana? you just need, say, 20. anything above is rather frivilous.

huge mana + huge number of cards in hand = instant victory condition.
>> No. 138101
File 130086272651.jpg - (28.17KB , 223x310 , Image_ashx.jpg ) [iqdb]
138101
>>138100
okay, maybe 30 for this.
>> No. 138102
[x] This mystery is intriguing, and you have several months before the Eldrazi even leave Zendikar, let alone come here. With all the progress you’ve made lately, it shouldn’t be too much harm to take a day or two ‘off’ and investigate the matter more thoroughly. Plus, without further investigation, you can’t rule out the possibility, however remote, that this represents a threat even graver than that of the Eldrazi.
[X] Send Shadow Meiling off on Fetch quests while you are busy.

I'm intrigued. And wish to have tea with Yuyuko more often. That's more verbal sparing then we're ever likely to get! She's just about the only being as Eldritch as ourselves, bar Yukari, and the only one we can expect interesting semi-serious discussion out of.

-----

I like this one, it gives us an out from the tedium and silliness of day to day Gensokyo. Better still, we've just spent twelve years proving (in that place) that we had no equal and that there truly was no greater power. This gives us... perspective.
>> No. 138103
Rite of Flame qualifies? I thought we were restricted to Standard. Coldsnap phased out a while ago.
>> No. 138108
>>138094

Sorry, I meant Lie Meling.

Anyway, Lie Meling is the fan-made character that's apparently either Meiling's sister or her dark version. Either way, it's Meiling with black hair and wearing purple instead of green. Oh, and quite a bit more powerful.
>> No. 138109
>>138103
He said post-9th Edition, which came out in 2005 according to my wiki research, so Coldsnap and Ravnica should be the earliest sets we could use. Kamigawa would be the latest one we couldn't, yet.
>> No. 138113
>>138109
That helps immensely!

Going through the years, I have compiled a list of useful spells that we may want to consider. There is a bit of personal preference involved, and a few things made the list (or didn't) based on us as Bolas, but they are all good cards. Solid picks for the most part, without consideration for combos.

Some spells already mentioned by Scribbler should be in here (Like Gigadrowse) but aren't, because they're in the thread already. If I've duplicated anything, oops!

Blue
Martyr of Frost (Utility Counterspell, cheap, and serves as a big threatening beacon that the opponent must always consider.)
Ancestral Vision (The poor man's ancestral recall)
Magus of the Jar (The poor man's memory jar, the only card to be banned from tournament play before the set became legal.)
Willbender (Another utility counterspell, terribly good card that the opponent must always consider. Even worse for being a morph, its like throwing down a threat that they're 95% certain is a counterspell and 5% who the fuck knows)
Truth or Tale (The poor man's Fact or Fiction)
Unstable Mutation (Yes, it will kill the creature eventually, but its a massive buff spell for super cheap. Fliers and multiple copies make this spell even more threatening.)
Voidmage Prodigy (More utility counters)
Wipe Away (Split Second stops the stack. For those not familiar with Magic mechanics, that means everything else stops when it hits the table. You can't counter one, nor can you keep countering.)
Frozen AEther (To really slow your opponent down, and screw his blockers to boot)
Logic Knot (Cheap cheap cheap counterspell, that gets better as the game goes on)
Sower of Temptation
Glen Elendra Archmage (Utility counter twice! Not legendary either, just a fairy)
Spell Syphon (Like Logic Knot but better! Especially if you already have a lot of things on the ground.)
Remand (More on this later...)

Red
Siege-Gang Commander (A creature that has helped define the game since its creation, and continues to do so. Extremely good.)
Braid of Fire (!!! More on this later.)
Martyr of Ashes (A nice, cheap board wiper that our Meiling ignores. Doubles as a visible threat on the board)
Browbeat (More on this later...)
Dead//Gone (Pretty useful and nicely flexible)
Puncture Blast (Powerful removal/nerf)
Flame Javelin (Powerful removal/burn)
Goblin Assault (Every. Bloody. Turn.)
Dragon Fodder (Two creatures for one spell)

Gold/Other
Research//Development (Research is useless to us for now, but Development is awesome.)
Mirror Sheen (Because we're)
Swerve (assholes like that)

And some artifacts to look into...

Pithing Needle (Spellcards have names...)
Loxodon Warhammer (Toys for making Meiling even better)
Crucible of Worlds (Its just really really good. Having one out opens a whole seperate world of possibilities)
Platinum Angel (Do I need to justify this one?)
Jester's Scepter (These are just mean)
Tormod's Crypt (Proven through countless years of deck building. Going to be super useful against green or black)
Dolmen Gate (Cheap and makes our units an absolute nightmare to stop)
Magebane Armor (More toys for Meiling, or an upgrade for us?)

---------

So after all that we come to my spell votes. The first one is easy.

[x]Browbeat: Holy crap on a stick this spell is amazing. Three mana for five damage or three cards. Smart opponents take the five damage, desperate opponents get themselves killed next turn instead of this one. It fits in character too.

The second choice depends on Scribbler's interpretation of the rules as they apply to the story. Do we still take mana burn? (This was changed in M10, where we don't anymore.) If we don't, my vote is for

[x]Braid of Fire: You get red mana for every turn it has been out. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. etc. etc. Drop it on turn two. We would not be the greedy bastard we are if we don't pick this up.

If we do

[x]Remand: Another counter, kinda. Remand showed up in every blue deck where Ravnica was legal, and some decks splashed blue simply to grab it. Its not as strong as a hard counter, but it sets them back (frustrating) AND nets you a card in the process. For two mana. Another in character pick, you can just see the bastard smirk when this one goes off.
>> No. 138115
>Browbeat

Are you a bad enough dude to troll /tg/ with a browbeat thread
>> No. 138125
[x] This mystery is intriguing, and you have several months before the Eldrazi even leave Zendikar, let alone come here. With all the progress you’ve made lately, it shouldn’t be too much harm to take a day or two ‘off’ and investigate the matter more thoroughly. Plus, without further investigation, you can’t rule out the possibility, however remote, that this represents a threat even graver than that of the Eldrazi.
[x] Don't send Meiling anywhere. Keep her somewhere close

Don't send her away. Why are you still sending her off?
>> No. 138128
I believe I said any core set 9th or later, and any block set Time Spiral or later.

A word on infinite combos: No.
>> No. 138132
[x] This mystery is intriguing, and you have several months before the Eldrazi even leave Zendikar, let alone come here. With all the progress you’ve made lately, it shouldn’t be too much harm to take a day or two ‘off’ and investigate the matter more thoroughly. Plus, without further investigation, you can’t rule out the possibility, however remote, that this represents a threat even graver than that of the Eldrazi.
DO not send Shadow Meiling on fetch quests.
>> No. 138134
File 13008992471.jpg - (64.38KB , 312x445 , 295.jpg ) [iqdb]
138134
“Very well,” you say. “Though I do not believe Myon is in any danger at the moment.”

“Oh?” Yuyuko sidles closer to you.

“I am getting a general direction...but, before we leave...”
“Yes?”

“You’d better put some clothes on.”

“Oh!” Yuyuko laughs, looking at her nightgown. “You’re right, of course, Bolas-sama. Though, would you really prefer it that way~” 

You clear your throat. “I’ll go retrieve our retainers.”

She nods enthusiastically. “Ooh, this will be fun! I wonder if there’ll be anything good to eat...”

Meiling and Youmu are engaged in what appears to be a formal sword dual. “Enough,” you rumble, “Youmu. We are going to get your ghost half back.”

“My ghost half? Mistress Yuyuko told you about that?” The gardener blanches. “She never listens when I tell her to keep things quiet!”

“And you ought be grateful for that,” you say. “For ‘Myon’ is in grave peril.”

“WHAT?” Youmu panics, rushing up to you. “What happened to her- me?”

“My, Bolas-sama, I do recall you promising to be nicer to Youmu-chan. Have you forgotten already? It’s only been twelve years for you.”

Meiling rolls her eyes. “Pathetic amateur. Just as you can’t read your opponent in a battle of swords, you can’t read Master at all. Dabblers shouldn’t engage in swordplay.”

“Y-you!”

“We don’t have time for this,” you growl. “After this trivial matter is finished I have business to do. The Eldrazi are still out there.”

“My deepest apologies, Master.” Meiling kneels.

“Hmph. Let’s get going, then.”

“Shall we stop at a restaurant first? I know this great shop that’s offering a special~!”

“Mistress, please try to take this seriously!”

In the end, Yuyuko gets take-out. You lead the expedition deep into the mists of the Netherworld, past all areas of habitation. This land is swamp and moss-ridden, and you hear the croaking and hissing of hundreds of restless dead. Around Yuyuko, however, the land is silent and still.

“I’ve never been out here,” Youmu admits. She looks around warily. “Where exactly are you taking us?”

“If I knew that I’d simply teleport there,” you retort. “Be grateful my divinations found anything at all.”

“Do you believe Myon has been kidnapped by a powerful mage, Bolas-sama?”

“It’s possible, but what would a magus capable of repelling my spells want with her?”

“H-hey!”

“Shh!” Meiling holds up her hand. “I heard something. A footstep.” She cocks her head. “That way,” she points, indicating the direction directly opposite your intuited path.

Bandits? You don’t think anything else ‘lives’ out here. Clearing them out could prevent trouble later, if they’re working for whoever has Myon.

[ ] Continue along your original path.

[ ] Indulge Meiling’s detour.
>> No. 138135
[x] Indulge Meiling’s detour.

Someone trying to spy on Nicol Bolas? They fucked up.
>> No. 138137
[♦] Indulge Meiling’s detour.
Someone just volunteered to get interrogated!
>> No. 138139
[X] Indulge Meiling’s detour.

What's this? Someone broke rule one for stalking dragons!

Don't get caught.
>> No. 138140
[x] Indulge Meiling’s detour.
-[x] Scry First, obviously.

He's a wizard, use magic.
>> No. 138141
[X] Continue along your original path.

Guys, remember what happened the last time we took a detour. We got stuck in a World Egg for twelve years. Information always has a cost.
>> No. 138142
-[x] Scry First to see if the distraction is worth pursuing and continue on if not.
>> No. 138143
[x] Scry First to see if the distraction is worth pursuing and continue on if not.
>> No. 138144
>>138141
A price like having a ninja bodyguard, eh?

[x] Indulge Meiling’s detour.
-[x] Scry First, obviously. He's a wizard, use magic.
>> No. 138147
File 130091056653.jpg - (70.25KB , 312x445 , 163.jpg ) [iqdb]
138147
You check the area with scrying, but encounter the same type of interference. There’s a mage among their number, and not one of a type native to Gensokyo. No, these...humans...employ the same type of magic that you do, albeit to a much lesser degree. This magus isn’t as adept at repelling your divinations as the other, so you manage to get a fuzzy image: several men clad in black armor, wielding black samurai armor with white highlights. They have a somewhat wild, disorganized look around them, but their leader radiates power and authority. He’s wielding a wakazashi and jitte combination. Interesting. You’ve seen that combo before, though this man’s stance is entirely different from Umezawa Toshirou’s.

It’s hard to get a clearer look. You’ll have to investigate in person. They don’t seem to be doing anything except observing you, but that action alone is enough to draw your ire.

Meiling.

Yes, Master?

Hit them. The leader dies first. No one escapes alive.

You turn to Yuyuko. “Excuse my retainer for a moment. There’s some business she has to take care of.”

“Bolas-sama, I can sense death impending. Surely you wouldn’t be up to anything...insidious?”

“Just removing some insects. Come, time is of the essence now.” You lengthen your strides as you move towards the direction you’ve intuited. Meiling, be swift but clean. Return to me as soon as you are finished, and...pick up anything interesting you find.

As Master wills it.

Youmu sprints to keep up with you. “What’s going on? Why are we moving so quickly?”

Yuyuko giggles. “Bolas-sama is paranoid.”

“Hardly. That they are complicit in ‘Myon’’s disappearance, and that they could send a signal back to headquarters, are very likely events.”

“How do you know they’re going to do that? Y-You can’t just kill them out of the blue!”

Your head turns to stare at Youmu while you continue running. “I can and...I just did.” Well done, my servant.

Master’s kindness is undeserved. You feel her deferential bow.

“Now then, since the mage is out of the way, let’s see what they were up to...” Your eyes flare blue again, and this time the picture is much more complete. Outrunners and sentries, deployed to guard...a gate? A portal to another plane. They’re natives of Kamigawa, that wretched world, and they’ve arrived here on orders from...an unknown master. A man with a bone-white mask, surrounded by howling spirits. That would explain the interest in Myon, but how did he get a hold of her?

...These mercenaries know little. They are elite fighters, competent, and they did not ask questions. Their payment...several hundred bars of gold and the loan of a weapon. A highly magical weapon, which they requested the honor to wield. An unusual weapon, made for locking and breaking enemy swords, useful only against the sharp but brittle katanas of Kamigawa.
A jitte.

Your eyes narrow, and lightning surges off your in waves. Youmu yelps as she’s shocked, and Yuyuko floats serenely away, sending you a questioning gaze. You barely manage to hold back a scream of incoherent rage, fingernails digging like claws into your palms, drawing a steady river of blood.

“...Bolas-sama?”

The jitte of a man you once knew and tried to kill. The jitte of the ancestor of the only man who ever bested you. The jitte that represents all the failures of your twenty-five thousand year long quest for omnipotence.

Umezawa’s Jitte.

[ ] Get the fuck out of here. You don’t know what happened to Tetsuo Umezawa after he temporarily slew you, but he could only have gotten stronger. Certainly he had advantages at the time, but at this juncture you’re handicapped as well. You’re not certain what’s going on here, but above all else you need time to prepare and calculate.

[ ] If there’s even the remotest possibility that Tetsuo Umezawa is here, you have no other options. You must destroy him immediately. Logic has its place, but it is a means to an end. This vengeance, your most crucial vengeance, must be pursued to its conclusion, lest he escape. Who knows how long this window of opportunity will remain open? The portal could be closing as you speak! This is not an opportunity that comes about often. Even if you had your spark, it would take you an indefinite amount of time to locate Tetsuo normally. Besides, it’s not like he actually beat you last time. He cheated and attacked your external mana source! You have no such weaknesses this time!

[ ] Write In.
>> No. 138148
I'm gonna have to hold off on voting and hope someone comes along with a good write-in
>> No. 138149
I'm gonna have to hold off on voting and hope someone comes along with a good write-in
>> No. 138150
>>138149
Gah, double-post
>> No. 138153
[x] Get the fuck out of here. You don’t know what happened to Tetsuo Umezawa after he temporarily slew you, but he could only have gotten stronger. Certainly he had advantages at the time, but at this juncture you’re handicapped as well. You’re not certain what’s going on here, but above all else you need time to prepare and calculate.

Until a good write-in comes I'll have to go with this one. As the other one is just... stupid. "You have no such weaknesses this time!" ...Seriously? Did you manage to forget that your currently at what eight? nine? percent power?
>> No. 138154
>>138153

>no such weakness

'Such weakness' means he's talking about a specific type of weakness and not weaknesses in general. Pretty sure what that choice is saying is that Bolas thinks he lost only because Tetsuo hit him in the mana, and even as he is now he can still beat Tetsuo in a straight fight. Even with less mana you're still Nicol Bolas, veteran of 25,000 years of battles. Anyway, guys, I'm beginning to see a pattern here:

-> We pick the procrastinate / gather information choice, the author tells us what we want to know but also introduces additional complications. I think this is because it's the natural tendency of anon to pick these types of choices so he wants to make them competitive with other types.

-> We pick the risky choice, we have to fight someone, but if we win, we get epic rewards

We can win games of Magic.

[X] If there’s even the remotest possibility that Tetsuo Umezawa is here, you have no other options. You must destroy him immediately. Logic has its place, but it is a means to an end. This vengeance, your most crucial vengeance, must be pursued to its conclusion, lest he escape. Who knows how long this window of opportunity will remain open? The portal could be closing as you speak! This is not an opportunity that comes about often. Even if you had your spark, it would take you an indefinite amount of time to locate Tetsuo normally. Besides, it’s not like he actually beat you last time. He cheated and attacked your external mana source! You have no such weaknesses this time!

Oh and

[X] Have Meiling take off the Greaves, equip the Jitte, and then put the greaves back on. No way we're missing out on the most broken equipment in Magic.

People run from Nicol Bolas, not the other way around.
>> No. 138158
[x] Get the fuck out of here. You don’t know what happened to Tetsuo Umezawa after he temporarily slew you, but he could only have gotten stronger. Certainly he had advantages at the time, but at this juncture you’re handicapped as well. You’re not certain what’s going on here, but above all else you need time to prepare and calculate.

Bolas doesn't hold nearly as much power anymore. His largest strength is his mind at the moment.
>> No. 138159
[x] If there’s even the remotest possibility that Tetsuo Umezawa is here, you have no other options. You must destroy him immediately. Logic has its place, but it is a means to an end. This vengeance, your most crucial vengeance, must be pursued to its conclusion, lest he escape. Who knows how long this window of opportunity will remain open? The portal could be closing as you speak! This is not an opportunity that comes about often. Even if you had your spark, it would take you an indefinite amount of time to locate Tetsuo normally. Besides, it’s not like he actually beat you last time. He cheated and attacked your external mana source! You have no such weaknesses this time!
>> No. 138160
Uh-oh. Did I intimidate everyone with the difficulty of the vote? Neither option will screw you over, guys.
>> No. 138161
[x] Get the fuck out of here. You don’t know what happened to Tetsuo Umezawa after he temporarily slew you, but he could only have gotten stronger. Certainly he had advantages at the time, but at this juncture you’re handicapped as well. You’re not certain what’s going on here, but above all else you need time to prepare and calculate.
>> No. 138164
Personally? Stick to the plan. We came here to get Myon back, we complete this task, and we get the favor of at least one potentially powerful being as a result.

If that means getting revenge? Bonus! Otherwise, Stay On Fucking Target Bolas! You'll get your chance later.
>> No. 138166
[x] If there’s even the remotest possibility that Tetsuo Umezawa is here, you have no other options. You must destroy him immediately. Logic has its place, but it is a means to an end. This vengeance, your most crucial vengeance, must be pursued to its conclusion, lest he escape. Who knows how long this window of opportunity will remain open? The portal could be closing as you speak! This is not an opportunity that comes about often. Even if you had your spark, it would take you an indefinite amount of time to locate Tetsuo normally. Besides, it’s not like he actually beat you last time. He cheated and attacked your external mana source! You have no such weaknesses this time!
>> No. 138167
File 130092446676.jpg - (85.65KB , 312x445 , 65.jpg ) [iqdb]
138167
The vote was pretty tied this time, so I took a hybrid option.

You consider your options carefully, knowing that you’re working against the clock. Every moment spent contemplating is a moment potentially wasted, so you’ve limited yourself to only the most immediately useful trains of thought. You will assume that the scenario is as dangerous as it possibly could be and act as if that were true.

A hissing exhalation later, your release your death-grip on your palms and turn to your companions.

“Youmu. Yuyuko.”

“Bolas-sama, are you alright?” You remorselessly crush the slightl giddiness you feel at the note of concern in her voice, then shake your head.

“That’s immaterial at this point. It is possible that Myon’s captor is an immensely powerful human magus who may have reached planeswalker level. If that is the case, my countermagics will not be sufficient to defend all of us. This person was powerful enough to temporarily kill me at the height of my power, so Yuyuko, even you are not safe. You and Youmu return to Hakugyokuro and send waves of your most powerful dispensable forces with orders to obey my command to this location. I’ll get in contact with them telepathically when they arrive.”

“I see.” Yuyuko seems to understand the tone of seriousness in your voice, and does not question your judgment. She turns to leave, then stops. “But, Bolas-sama, if you are weaker now, is it not also unsafe for you to fight a man who killed you once before?”

“I had certain weaknesses then that this more compact form lacks.”

“Even so, Bolas-sama, I already owe my life to you. Do not place me under a debt I cannot repay. Let me accompany you.”

“That’s madness! Have you considered the implications if you were to die?”

“No, Bolas-sama, this is the Netherworld. And I am its princess.” Yuyuko’s eyes turn steely. “Myon is a citizen of my state and it is my duty to protect my citizens. And besides, how could I show my face in public if Nicol Bolas proved himself more noble than me in the performance of my own duties?”

“Nobility has-”

“Shh.” She places a finger on your lips. “It’s all right. We’re going and that’s final.” Yuyuko takes your hand.

“Your Meiling is shielded from most spells by those boots of hers, right? Just have her give them to me and I won’t be any trouble, promise. I promise you, Bolas-sama, I can more than hold my own in a fight, planeswalker or no planeswalker.” She winks at you.

Is this...a date?? Your bewildered mind reels, before you regain your composure and re-consider. As an incarnation of death, Yuyuko would be a powerful ally, compensating for your missing black mana, and Tetsuo is not a foe to take lightly - a lesson you’ve paid for in full with blood.

“Very well. I suppose having you along does improve my chances of survival. I-It’s not like I l-like it though.” You huff, fully aware how awkward that sounded. Yuyuko giggles.

Bereft of her shroud, Meiling is more liability than asset; you have her escort Youmu out of the swamp. Without her ghost half’s spiritual power, Youmu is significantly weakened; you imagine she’d be more of a match for Meiling were Myon around.

Yuyuko glomps your arm like an adolescent schoolgirl. Even though you know she’s doing it to tease you, you can’t help but be affected. Irritating. This scenario is more dangerous than she realizes!

[ ] Fully engage with Yuyuko while you continue into the swamp, even at the cost of some awareness of the environment. Nicol Bolas does not run from a fight, whether it’s a battle of magic or a battle of wits! You must prove to yourself that you are more than capable of doing something as simple as holding a conversation while in dangerous terrain.

[ ] Abandon the social front entirely and focus on the dangers around you. Even if it’s astronomically unlikely that Tetsuo himself is out here, more forces could be about. It’s humiliating to lose a social engagement like this, but you have no other options.
>> No. 138168
No, no. Get it. Get it get it get it. The most useful piece of equipment in existence is right there and it can't target Meiling.

[X] Get the Jitte NOW. We don't even know if Umezawa was in possession of the Jitte when the masked being passed it off, or where he might be. It can be used as a scrying focus later, at our leisure, and we have business to attend to.
>> No. 138169
>>138168
And pants, not in fast enough. Sigh

We seem to be a tsundere now.

[x]My vote remains to acquire the Jitte and scry later. Whatever that implies.
>> No. 138170
>>138168

Meiling has the Jitte. She's not shrouded after she took off her greaves.
>> No. 138171
[X] Fully engage with Yuyuko while you continue into the swamp, even at the cost of some awareness of the environment. Nicol Bolas does not run from a fight, whether it’s a battle of magic or a battle of wits! You must prove to yourself that you are more than capable of doing something as simple as holding a conversation while in dangerous terrain.
>> No. 138172
>>138170

Oh, well then.


[x] Fully engage with Yuyuko while you continue into the swamp, even at the cost of some awareness of the environment. Nicol Bolas does not run from a fight, whether it’s a battle of magic or a battle of wits! You must prove to yourself that you are more than capable of doing something as simple as holding a conversation while in dangerous terrain.
-[x] Have Meiling start ganking anything that moves. Gotta build up those charges... Make sure you have a counterspell prepared for terror type spells or anything else that could swat her now that she's shroudless.
>> No. 138173
[x] Fully engage with Yuyuko while you continue into the swamp, even at the cost of some awareness of the environment. Nicol Bolas does not run from a fight, whether it’s a battle of magic or a battle of wits! You must prove to yourself that you are more than capable of doing something as simple as holding a conversation while in dangerous terrain.
>> No. 138174
[x] Fully engage with Yuyuko while you continue into the swamp, even at the cost of some awareness of the environment. Nicol Bolas does not run from a fight, whether it’s a battle of magic or a battle of wits! You must prove to yourself that you are more than capable of doing something as simple as holding a conversation while in dangerous terrain.
-[x] Have Meiling start ganking anything that moves. Gotta build up those charges... Make sure you have a counterspell prepared for terror type spells or anything else that could swat her now that she's shroudless.

Surely there's some fairies flying around, even if Tetsuo (KANEEEDAAA!!!) ignores Meiling.
>> No. 138175
[x] Abandon the social front entirely and focus on the dangers around you. Even if it’s astronomically unlikely that Tetsuo himself is out here, more forces could be about. It’s humiliating to lose a social engagement like this, but you have no other options.

Lose lose lose lose lose.
>> No. 138177
Horseshit, we don't need to learn to lose when we're Nicol Bolas. If it truly gets bad we take the damage like men, because its the last hit point that matter.

Everything before that is just another resource.
>> No. 138186
>>138172
>>138174

Meiling went back with Youmu.
>> No. 138198
[x] Fully engage with Yuyuko while you continue into the swamp, even at the cost of some awareness of the environment. Nicol Bolas does not run from a fight, whether it’s a battle of magic or a battle of wits! You must prove to yourself that you are more than capable of doing something as simple as holding a conversation while in dangerous terrain.
-[x] Have Meiling start ganking anything that moves. Gotta build up those charges... Make sure you have a counterspell prepared for terror type spells or anything else that could swat her now that she's shroudless.

>Yuyuko would be a powerful ally, compensating for your missing black mana

So Yuyuko is White/Black instead of just White?
>> No. 138201
>>138186
In no way does this stop us from instructing her to harvest souls for her shiny new artifact.
>> No. 138204
>>138198
Death is strongly Black-aligned. White is life-aligned.
>> No. 138209
>>138198

Yuyuko's powers over death allow her to serve many of the same functions that black mana usually does in Magic: efficient spot removal, reanimation.

Regarding the Jitte, I believe its fluff mechanics have to do with how Toushirou uses it to draw Kanji with blood and thus cast spells while fighting. Due to how easy it would be to abuse the charge-counter interpretation outside of a magic game, the Jitte's mechanics will not be directly transcribed.
>> No. 138212
[+] Fully engage with Yuyuko while you continue into the swamp, even at the cost of some awareness of the environment. Nicol Bolas does not run from a fight, whether it’s a battle of magic or a battle of wits! You must prove to yourself that you are more than capable of doing something as simple as holding a conversation while in dangerous terrain.
>> No. 138213
[x] Underdog vote
I hope I didn't pick something moronic
>> No. 138216
Guys, I'll be taking a break from writing so as to not burn myself out. Will be back in three days.
>> No. 138217
See you in three days then! We'll be waiting
>> No. 138308
[x] Fully engage with Yuyuko while you continue into the swamp, even at the cost of some awareness of the environment. Nicol Bolas does not run from a fight, whether it’s a battle of magic or a battle of wits! You must prove to yourself that you are more than capable of doing something as simple as holding a conversation while in dangerous terrain.
>> No. 138350
File 130125608296.jpg - (89.60KB , 312x445 , 181.jpg ) [iqdb]
138350
You make conversation with Yuyuko as the pair of you enter the darkest depths of the swamp. Though her effect on your pathetic human body is profound, your superior experience and intellect prove a competent match against her honed wit.

Unfortunately, you think, your conversational status is not the most relevant issue at the moment. It had been foolish of you to overextend into a large rant about the traitor Umezawa right as you felt the tenuous link of mana connecting your mind to Myon’s disperse; it just hadn’t seemed pressing at the time - certainly not compared to expounding on your feelings about the treacherous slime who betrayed and very nearly slew you.

It’s not that you’re particularly ethically opposed to treachery yourself, but the sheer arrogance of the man astonished you. It is, you reflect, rather similar to how a human might feel if they were bitten in a moment of vulnerability by a rather dim-witted but previously unfailingly loyal dog.

In any event, you got carried away and now these are the consequences. Honestly, you hadn’t expected such a serious threat to appear, especially not one so well-suited to dealing with Yuyuko’s unique powers set. Had you been in the diminished state you were when you first entered this plane, you would be dead; as it is, you are merely crippled and on fire - an ironic state for a dragon.

Yuyuko floats over to you and lifts you out of the river of flame, setting you down as your assailant re-calibrates. “What is that?” She wonders, passing a hand over your wounds to deaden the pain.

“I know why they took Myon,” you gasp out. Yuyuko gestures, and a flood of ectoplasm interposes itself between the two of you and the source of the flames. She doesn’t need to tell you that it won’t hold for long. You try to open a telepathic link, but something’s blocking your telepathy...no time to investigate, it’s likely just an enemy magus scrying the battle and contributing where he can. You speak as quickly as you can, but your lungs are near-charred from inhaling ash and fire.

“That - thing - is...a weapon. A...fusion of human and spirit. You’ll note that like Myon and Youmu, the spirit and human halves inhabit different ‘bodies,’ but unlike your retainer, its halves are unable to separate from each other. That is because...it is an artificial being. There is a plane...Kamigawa...similar in regards to this one...spirits and humans co-exist.”

“Our attacker is a spirit from that plane grafted into a human...an engineered half-phantasm. Because it is both dead and alive, effects that compel the dead are resisted by the living half and effects that slay the living half are countered by the dead half. Further, the base components appear to have been chosen for...overwhelming raw power and...extensive stealth talen-” You cough, choking up sooty blood.

“My enemy...our enemy...if it is Umezawa, he has gotten stronger. Much stronger. To enslave the Myojin of Infinite Rage...” Other questions remain, of course. How did Tetsuo even know about this plane, let alone reach it? In twenty-five thousand years of research you’d never heard of Gensokyo. More disturbingly, how did he know about Youmu’s ghost half? How much of your recent activities is he aware of? Unfortunately, you haven’t time to contemplate such things now. You’ve got to focus on surviving. The best strategy in this situation would be...

[ ] Even this can be turned to your advantage. Try to convince Yuyuko to donate a significant portion of her power to you; if you can awaken your Black mana you’ll be able to heal yourself and, restored to the full breadth if not depth of your abilities, it’ll be much easier to deal with the fused Myojin. Yuyuko’s instant death invocation works by conceptual manipulation and is thus vulnerable to the defenses of the being’s nature; you command a far wider array of killing magics. It’s likely that you’ll need to successfully deceive her to pull this off, but creative write-ins are accepted.

[ ] Escape. A direct confrontation is impossible with your body this badly injured. You can cast spells, but you won’t be able to dodge at all, and against an indestructible being of ferocious power that will be a problem. Teleport out; admit defeat. You’ll need to keep countermagic open to prevent the scrying magus from interfering, so the procedure will take longer than is necessarily desirable.

[ ] While the creature cannot be destroyed, it can be disabled. You need time to think most of all, but escaping would give Myon’s captors time to regroup as well. That they deployed an entity this powerful at this early juncture suggests at least a hint of desperation; you must press the attack. If they had waited until you were weakened by chaff forces or otherwise tired out, the fused Myojin’s initial attack would have been utterly fatal; it’s unlikely that they’re stupid, so their other forces are probably incapable even of tiring you and Yuyuko out. If you keep the creature tapped out with Cryptic Command, Yuyuko can press ahead and slay its master, and you’ll still have a little mana open to support her from range.

[ ] While you’re badly injured, Yuyuko isn’t. It seems she’s rather capable at reading and predicting the creature’s attacks despite its incredible speed and volatility; her body, after all, isn’t limited to a human’s senses. Have Yuyuko stall the creature while you move ahead; your powers are more versatile and well-suited to dealing with conceptual threats. She can numb the pain in your body so that your combat abilities won’t be too badly affected, but you’ll need serious medical treatment later.

[ ] Engage the scrying magus in a magic duel; attempt to eliminate or force him out as soon as possible. With the magus gone, you won’t need to leave mana open for countermagic. Then, coordinate a mental assault with Yuyuko: you’ll Blatant Thievery the human half at the same time she attempts to dominate the spirit half. While you’re fairly sure the latter half of that plan will work, you’re not certain how powerful the scrying magus is beyond the fact that he can shut down some of your weaker spells.

[ ] Write In.
>> No. 138354
Yes, it's back! Exactly three days, too.

[X] While you’re badly injured, Yuyuko isn’t. It seems she’s rather capable at reading and predicting the creature’s attacks despite its incredible speed and volatility; her body, after all, isn’t limited to a human’s senses. Have Yuyuko stall the creature while you move ahead; your powers are more versatile and well-suited to dealing with conceptual threats. She can numb the pain in your body so that your combat abilities won’t be too badly affected, but you’ll need serious medical treatment later.

I think this is actually the least risky option. The other ones all rely on variables we either are ignorant of or have no control over; with this option we are relying on ourselves, and Nicol by himself tends to win.
>> No. 138355
>[ ] Even this can be turned to your advantage. Try to convince Yuyuko to donate a significant portion of her power to you; if you can awaken your Black mana you’ll be able to heal yourself and, restored to the full breadth if not depth of your abilities, it’ll be much easier to deal with the fused Myojin. Yuyuko’s instant death invocation works by conceptual manipulation and is thus vulnerable to the defenses of the being’s nature; you command a far wider array of killing magics. It’s likely that you’ll need to successfully deceive her to pull this off, but creative write-ins are accepted.
This is gonna win if someone makes a good write in...
>> No. 138357
[X] Engage the scrying magus in a magic duel; attempt to eliminate or force him out as soon as possible. With the magus gone, you won’t need to leave mana open for countermagic. Then, coordinate a mental assault with Yuyuko: you’ll Blatant Thievery the human half at the same time she attempts to dominate the spirit half. While you’re fairly sure the latter half of that plan will work, you’re not certain how powerful the scrying magus is beyond the fact that he can shut down some of your weaker spells.

We may not have access to Black mana at the moment, but by god its called Suicide Black for a reason. DAMN THE TORPEDOES, FULL SPEED AHEAD!

Though might I suggest we Boomerang this bitch and counter his ass on recast? That ties our enemy up nicely, 10 mana is a fairly large contribution.
>> No. 138358
[x] Even this can be turned to your advantage. Try to convince Yuyuko to donate a significant portion of her power to you; if you can awaken your Black mana you’ll be able to heal yourself and, restored to the full breadth if not depth of your abilities, it’ll be much easier to deal with the fused Myojin. Yuyuko’s instant death invocation works by conceptual manipulation and is thus vulnerable to the defenses of the being’s nature; you command a far wider array of killing magics. It’s likely that you’ll need to successfully deceive her to pull this off, but creative write-ins are accepted.
>> No. 138360
[x] Even this can be turned to your advantage. Try to convince Yuyuko to donate a significant portion of her power to you; if you can awaken your Black mana you’ll be able to heal yourself and, restored to the full breadth if not depth of your abilities, it’ll be much easier to deal with the fused Myojin. Yuyuko’s instant death invocation works by conceptual manipulation and is thus vulnerable to the defenses of the being’s nature; you command a far wider array of killing magics. It’s likely that you’ll need to successfully deceive her to pull this off, but creative write-ins are accepted.

[x] Pretend you are further weakened than you are. Hold off your spells and let her flail a bit against the Myojin. Remind her that its ultimate attack could destroy all of Gensokyo at the cost of its divinity. Suggest the power donation only when she is desperate.
>> No. 138361
[X] Engage the scrying magus in a magic duel; attempt to eliminate or force him out as soon as possible. With the magus gone, you won’t need to leave mana open for countermagic. Then, coordinate a mental assault with Yuyuko: you’ll Blatant Thievery the human half at the same time she attempts to dominate the spirit half. While you’re fairly sure the latter half of that plan will work, you’re not certain how powerful the scrying magus is beyond the fact that he can shut down some of your weaker spells.

i rather like this blue red thing we have going on...
>> No. 138362
[X] Engage the scrying magus in a magic duel; attempt to eliminate or force him out as soon as possible. With the magus gone, you won’t need to leave mana open for countermagic. Then, coordinate a mental assault with Yuyuko: you’ll Blatant Thievery the human half at the same time she attempts to dominate the spirit half. While you’re fairly sure the latter half of that plan will work, you’re not certain how powerful the scrying magus is beyond the fact that he can shut down some of your weaker spells.
>> No. 138367
Actual serious vote:
[X] Engage the scrying magus in a magic duel; attempt to eliminate or force him out as soon as possible. With the magus gone, you won’t need to leave mana open for countermagic. Then, coordinate a mental assault with Yuyuko: you’ll Blatant Thievery the human half at the same time she attempts to dominate the spirit half. While you’re fairly sure the latter half of that plan will work, you’re not certain how powerful the scrying magus is beyond the fact that he can shut down some of your weaker spells.

Humorous fake vote: cast Giant Fan and use it to move the divinity counter to yourself. If there's nothing else for the counter to do, it's a free +1/+1.
>> No. 138370
[X] Even this can be turned to your advantage. Try to convince Yuyuko to donate a significant portion of her power to you; if you can awaken your Black mana you’ll be able to heal yourself and, restored to the full breadth if not depth of your abilities, it’ll be much easier to deal with the fused Myojin. Yuyuko’s instant death invocation works by conceptual manipulation and is thus vulnerable to the defenses of the being’s nature; you command a far wider array of killing magics. It’s likely that you’ll need to successfully deceive her to pull this off, but creative write-ins are accepted.

You don't need to lie I think. There are plenty of spells that you could use with black mana that would prevent this disaster, and she would likely go for a fight long boost if not a proper recovery. I've not played magic in a while so I'm not sure if any of these 'count' as spells Nicol would be able to use, but:

Fate transfer(1 b/u): move the divinity counter off Myojin and onto you... maybe use it to empower that temp boost into something more permanent. As a bonus you assure that the now neutered Myojin can't blow up the underworld.
Stabbing Pain (b) / Midnight Charm (b): keeps Myojin tapped to give you breathing room

Scar (b/r): start putting -1/-1 counters on him to reduce threat

Darkness (b): he can't hit what he can't see and a black fog might let you get your feet under you

Why bee sneaky and ruin your relationship with a potential ally when the truth is just so much more efficient.
>> No. 138379
[X] Engage the scrying magus in a magic duel; attempt to eliminate or force him out as soon as possible. With the magus gone, you won’t need to leave mana open for countermagic. Then, coordinate a mental assault with Yuyuko: you’ll Blatant Thievery the human half at the same time she attempts to dominate the spirit half. While you’re fairly sure the latter half of that plan will work, you’re not certain how powerful the scrying magus is beyond the fact that he can shut down some of your weaker spells.
>> No. 138380
[x] Even this can be turned to your advantage. Try to convince Yuyuko to donate a significant portion of her power to you; if you can awaken your Black mana you’ll be able to heal yourself and, restored to the full breadth if not depth of your abilities, it’ll be much easier to deal with the fused Myojin. Yuyuko’s instant death invocation works by conceptual manipulation and is thus vulnerable to the defenses of the being’s nature; you command a far wider array of killing magics. It’s likely that you’ll need to successfully deceive her to pull this off, but creative write-ins are accepted.

I'd like to see him attempt this and fail miserably.
>> No. 138381
[ ] Engage the scrying magus in a magic duel; attempt to eliminate or force him out as soon as possible. With the magus gone, you won’t need to leave mana open for countermagic. Then, coordinate a mental assault with Yuyuko: you’ll Blatant Thievery the human half at the same time she attempts to dominate the spirit half. While you’re fairly sure the latter half of that plan will work, you’re not certain how powerful the scrying magus is beyond the fact that he can shut down some of your weaker spells.

Teamwork is the best work
>> No. 138388
[ ] Engage the scrying magus in a magic duel; attempt to eliminate or force him out as soon as possible. With the magus gone, you won’t need to leave mana open for countermagic. Then, coordinate a mental assault with Yuyuko: you’ll Blatant Thievery the human half at the same time she attempts to dominate the spirit half. While you’re fairly sure the latter half of that plan will work, you’re not certain how powerful the scrying magus is beyond the fact that he can shut down some of your weaker spells.
>> No. 138392
[x] Even this can be turned to your advantage. Try to convince Yuyuko to donate a significant portion of her power to you; if you can awaken your Black mana you’ll be able to heal yourself and, restored to the full breadth if not depth of your abilities, it’ll be much easier to deal with the fused Myojin. Yuyuko’s instant death invocation works by conceptual manipulation and is thus vulnerable to the defenses of the being’s nature; you command a far wider array of killing magics. It’s likely that you’ll need to successfully deceive her to pull this off, but creative write-ins are accepted.
>> No. 138396
>>138392
That's a terrible idea anon, the correct answer is

[X] Engage the scrying magus in a magic duel; attempt to eliminate or force him out as soon as possible. With the magus gone, you won’t need to leave mana open for countermagic. Then, coordinate a mental assault with Yuyuko: you’ll Blatant Thievery the human half at the same time she attempts to dominate the spirit half. While you’re fairly sure the latter half of that plan will work, you’re not certain how powerful the scrying magus is beyond the fact that he can shut down some of your weaker spells.
>> No. 138397
>>138396

To elaborate, we call his bluff, and exploit our current ally. It's true that we'd be under more fire by now if we were up against a serious enemy, and this is a good method for gaining reputation and allies in our current location.

Besides, it's polite to be courteous to a good conversationalist, and nothing said being polite and classy is mutually exclusive with taking over the universe.
>> No. 138398
Wouldn't any mana Yuyuko hands over be White? How would Nicol get his Black mana back with a ton of White mana?

... Huh. Convincing Yuyuko to nobly sacrifice herself to "redeem" Nicol might actually work. He might even get redeemed... nah, he's Nicol fucking Bolas, I'm sure he can deal with a flood of White mana.
>> No. 138399
[X] Engage the scrying magus in a magic duel; attempt to eliminate or force him out as soon as possible. With the magus gone, you won’t need to leave mana open for countermagic. Then, coordinate a mental assault with Yuyuko: you’ll Blatant Thievery the human half at the same time she attempts to dominate the spirit half. While you’re fairly sure the latter half of that plan will work, you’re not certain how powerful the scrying magus is beyond the fact that he can shut down some of your weaker spells.
>> No. 138402
>>138370
Do this. Ask for a temporary donation of Manna and try to exploit the divinity counter.

Don't complain too much if she gives you White instead.
>> No. 138408
File 130134909390.jpg - (80.62KB , 312x445 , 72.jpg ) [iqdb]
138408
“I’ve got an idea.” You cough, then prop yourself up. “The creature’s target is you. It wasn’t expecting me, so it struck me first in an attempt to remove the unknown threat. It doesn’t seem like either of you can effectively hurt each other, so stall him for a minute.”

Yuyuko nods. “Bolas-sama, if you do not receive medical attention within seven minutes, you will die.”

“Yes; I’ll finish this in three.” Damn! If only it hadn’t come to this. Facing off against an enemy of unknown strength while you’re still so weak...but it can’t be helped. You got distracted by Yuyuko, or you would have easily seen this coming. Now, as you lay dying for the umpteenth time in this moronic realm, you so clearly see the path that was obscured before. It’s all so obvious, so elementary!

Myon was captured. Myon is the spirit half of Youmu Konpaku, a singular being who nonetheless has two seperate bodies, one physical, one spirit, both in harmony. When you discovered that the bandits were Kamigawan, you should have made the link instantly! Kamigawa is a plane where spirits are numerous, and relations between the human realm and the spirit are often strained.

The idea of a being who is perfectly both human and spirit would of course appeal to them. And if they knew something as specific as Youmu Konpaku’s nature, they would know about her mistress and ultimate protector, Yuyuko Saigyouji.

Of course they would create a spirit-human hybrid to deal with her! You were distracted by the red herring of Umezawa’s jitte. It’s possible this has nothing to do with Umezawa at all; there has been no indication that your current foes even know who you really are. If they had, they would have pooled their scrying defenses instead of sending magi out on patrols, and that would have been enough to frustrate your initial Tidings - they were more worried about someone stumbling onto their means of egress than blue magic. Therefore, it’s highly likely this operation was conceived entirely ignorant of your presence here, and the Kamigawan presence in Gensokyo is independent of the events that lead you here.

Which means they haven’t prepared for Nicol Bolas.

You immediately lash out with your mind, unleashing a powerful torrent of raw destructive magic across the feedback link of the scryer. Feeling his mental shriek of pain, you press the assault, flooding his consciousness with eons upon eons of unimaginable horrors, things you have seen and experienced that would drive any human utterly mad, tortures beyond the comprehension of four-dimensional existence.

You groan as your own human mind recoils at thinking such thoughts, its frail wetware sputtering and failing under the weight of concepts it never evolved to process, but you grit your teeth and pour in more mana even as sparking, crackling rivulets of energy-charged blood leak from your tear ducts. The scream of your enemy is a constant, droning ululation that you have long tuned out; the only attention you pay to it is to check whether or not he’s yet dead.

Still, your foe is remarkably resilient, having endured a mental onslaught that should have immediately slain even a magus of intermediate power, and sent even the most powerful of mortals spiraling into a tormented and nightmarish unconsciousness. Damn! If only you had your black mana, this would be so much easier. As it is, having vented thousands of years of excruciation onto your scryer, that avenue of attack is spent; you counter his feeble retorts and prepare for the next phase of your assault. While he is still reeling and weak, while his will to exist is still tenuous, you strike, fingers tracing a rune in the air that skitters along the feedback line and tears open a small, palm-sized portal to his location, through which you unleash the Banefire. You catch a glimpse of a human-ish face, eyes bloodshoot and bleeding from the ears, mouth frantically chanting, before your spell strikes and reduces it to cinders.

You slump over, exhausted; the portal, unable to support itself without any mana flows, disperses. You do not see the blast of cremating flame that streaks towards your location; you only feel the wind of Yuyuko’s passage and hear her desperate and pained shriek as the fire claims her arm, eating through the sleeve of her dress and turning pristine skin to smoking, charred ash. The scent of cooking human reaches your nostrils and you find to your confusion and despair that it sickens you. Yuyuko falls down besides you, breathing heavily; you are struck by how fragile she appears in that moment, white skin over delicate bones, one small hand propping her up. You feel...

[ ] Nothing. Stick to the plan. There is nothing worse than being emotionally compromised during a fight. She was a useful tool; she prevented you from dying.

[ ] ...regret? Something like sadness? Yuyuko’s in no state to be exerting herself now. The plan needs to be changed. You...should reward people who take risks to save you, so that such behavior will come up in the future. Get out of here, recover.

[ ] CURTAIN OF RED FALLS OVER VISION. MYOJIN OF INFINITE RAGE? I'LL SHOW YOU RAGE. THERE IS ALWAYS. A GREATER. POWER.
>> No. 138410
[X] THERE IS ALWAYS. A GREATER. POWER.

Hell yeah.
>> No. 138411
[x] CURTAIN OF RED FALLS OVER VISION. MYOJIN OF INFINITE RAGE? I'LL SHOW YOU RAGE. THERE IS ALWAYS. A GREATER. POWER.
>> No. 138412
>>138408

Red Rage of Rampage! Go!
>> No. 138413
File 13013513696.jpg - (338.45KB , 579x3936 , Rage The Ragening.jpg ) [iqdb]
138413
>you only feel the wind of Yuyuko’s passage and hear her desperate and pained shriek as the fire claims her arm, eating through the sleeve of her dress and turning pristine skin to smoking, charred ash. The scent of cooking human reaches your nostrils and you find to your confusion and despair that it sickens you. Yuyuko falls down besides you, breathing heavily; you are struck by how fragile she appears in that moment, white skin over delicate bones, one small hand propping her up. You feel...

[+] CURTAIN OF RED FALLS OVER VISION. MYOJIN OF INFINITE RAGE? I'LL SHOW YOU RAGE. THERE IS ALWAYS. A GREATER. POWER.

Just hope he doesn't forget to bring Myon back when he's burning shit to ash.
>> No. 138414
File 130135186685.jpg - (80.05KB , 562x453 , 1298558135041.jpg ) [iqdb]
138414
[+] CURTAIN OF RED FALLS OVER VISION. MYOJIN OF INFINITE RAGE? I'LL SHOW YOU RAGE. THERE IS ALWAYS. A GREATER. POWER.

We will rage so hard that EVERYTHING IN- AND OUT OF EXSISTENCE IN EACH AND EVERY PLANE FEELS IT.

AS IN I HOPE FOR SCRIBS TO D OA WALLA OF TEXT ALL ABOUT RAGE, BEING ONE ONE THE GREATEST RAGES OF ALL TIME
>> No. 138416
Yeah, we do need to remember Myon, Rage and Rampage is nice and all, but remember to Stay On Fucking Target!
>> No. 138419
[+] CURTAIN OF RED FALLS OVER VISION. MYOJIN OF INFINITE RAGE? I'LL SHOW YOU RAGE. THERE IS ALWAYS. A GREATER. POWER.

So I heard Nicol's opponents want rage. They can have it. I do hope we remember Myon, but the foreshadowing implies she may have been used as a spell component.
>> No. 138424
[+] CURTAIN OF RED FALLS OVER VISION. MYOJIN OF INFINITE RAGE? I'LL SHOW YOU RAGE. THERE IS ALWAYS. A GREATER. POWER.

This should be reserved to someone dying, but i can see Bolas raging so... go for it!
>> No. 138425
[x] ...regret? Something like sadness? Yuyuko’s in no state to be exerting herself now. The plan needs to be changed. You...should reward people who take risks to save you, so that such behavior will come up in the future. Get out of here, recover.

Going berserk on heavily prepared ground is never a good idea. Never ever ever. I don't care if you can remove the fucking ground itself, it's still dumb and will probably end with Yuyuko and Myon dead. Again.
>> No. 138426
>>138412
>>138425

Actually, this man makes a strong point, we are dealing with prepared ground, and we had already killed the enemy Planeswalker when the attack hit Yuyuko--when we consider the other preparations--this may very well be a trap that we've been goaded into.

Calm thyselves I'm changing my vote to the "Help Yuyuko, pull back, regroup" camp.
>> No. 138428
>>138426

Same anon here, as an additional collary--keep in mind that our advantage is that they /Don't Know We're Here/, if we go all fire and brimstone, they'll know, and they'll come down on us like the hammer of god while we're relatively weak.

I suggest we clear our heads and re-evaluate. If Yuyuko's the target, we play into their hands by ignoring her.
>> No. 138432
>>138428

They know we're here. We just killed one of their mages by torturing him to the brink of death with our mind and then incinerating him. They may not know who we are, but that was a pretty huge display of power.

More importantly, even though they prepared, they very specifically did not prepare for Nicol Bolas. If we let up now, though, they'll have time to prepare for a red/blue mage of extreme power.
>> No. 138433
[x] Nothing. Stick to the plan. There is nothing worse than being emotionally compromised during a fight. She was a useful tool; she prevented you from dying.
>> No. 138440
[x] ...regret? Something like sadness? Yuyuko’s in no state to be exerting herself now. The plan needs to be changed. You...should reward people who take risks to save you, so that such behavior will come up in the future. Get out of here, recover.
>> No. 138441
[x] Nothing. Stick to the plan. There is nothing worse than being emotionally compromised during a fight. She was a useful tool; she prevented you from dying.

[x] Now would be the perfect time to ask her to donate power to you.
>> No. 138452
>>138441
This going back to
>>138370

As a bonus now that the scryr is gone they won't know about your new powers letting you keep the element of surprise.

If she tries to give you white mana point out that you don't know any spells of that color.
>> No. 138455
I also agree with
>>138441
by way of this
>>138370
>> No. 138456
[x] Nothing. Stick to the plan. There is nothing worse than being emotionally compromised during a fight. She was a useful tool; she prevented you from dying.

[x] Now would be the perfect time to ask her to donate power to you.
>> No. 138457
If we're dealing with a conclave of near planeswalker level mages, then we're already fucked, even if we get a power boost out of Yuyuko. Furthermore, it reduces her defenses by sucking power out of her, and that gives our current opponent a chance to take her. God only knows what they'll be able to do with someone with her nature.

My vote is for.

[X] ...regret? Something like sadness? Yuyuko’s in no state to be exerting herself now. The plan needs to be changed. You...should reward people who take risks to save you, so that such behavior will come up in the future. Get out of here, recover.

Evil Overlord's Handbook rule, never waste a potential resource to prove a point. We've already eliminated a serious threat, and we've got... Four minutes of life left? Not enough time to press an attack--either we've already won, and can collect Myon, or it's already a lost cause, and we preserve our resources by pulling out.

Remember, we chose to retain our Blue mana above all others at the beginning. We keep a measured response, retain our gains so far, and we've made a point that meddling will not be fucking tolerated, after all, we've proven that we can glass their mages pretty easily, making us out to be a sovereign power, as opposed to a resource to be exploited. We may be able to leverage this into future gains through the art of statescraft and the like.

Please remember our overall goal, we've already put enough energy into gathering allies, let's not be wasting that on dramatic gestures.
>> No. 138461
[ ] ...regret? Something like sadness? Yuyuko’s in no state to be exerting herself now. The plan needs to be changed. You...should reward people who take risks to save you, so that such behavior will come up in the future. Get out of here, recover.
>> No. 138464
[X] ...regret? Something like sadness? Yuyuko’s in no state to be exerting herself now. The plan needs to be changed. You...should reward people who take risks to save you, so that such behavior will come up in the future. Get out of here, recover.

We need to think Blue. We don't have enough power to just blast our way through everything right now.
>> No. 138465
None of the options are suicidal. They will all have effects on 1) Bolas' future character development and 2) What Yuyuko thinks of you. Also, one of the options will significantly increase your power level.
>> No. 138466
we seriously need to get our Black back, guys. Nicol Bolas without the Black is just murdering the character.

[x] Nothing. Stick to the plan. There is nothing worse than being emotionally compromised during a fight. She was a useful tool; she prevented you from dying.

[x] Now would be the perfect time to ask her to donate power to you.

Picking this for the alignment dip into Black that will happen even if he somehow doesn't get power out of it.
>> No. 138467
>>138465
>one of the options will significantly increase your power level.
I wonder which that could be??? It's a mystery.

As sweet as going berserk over someone harming Yuyuko is, I doubt she'll agree.
>> No. 138468
>>138467
it is less obvious than you'd think. every DM and their grandma loves the TWEEEST. Could be any of them.
>> No. 138469
>>138468
Could you explain how feeling nothing might give a powerup? I can see getting long-term collosal dick bonuses, but nothing immediate.
>> No. 138470
>>138469
feeling nothing and then asking Yuyuko for a power donation the most direct route to a powerup, so yeah.
>> No. 138471
[x] ...regret? Something like sadness? Yuyuko’s in no state to be exerting herself now. The plan needs to be changed. You...should reward people who take risks to save you, so that such behavior will come up in the future. Get out of here, recover.

Going nuts and just killing everything around us doesn't sound like a good idea. Nicol would potentially do as much damage to the Myojin as Yuyuko and Meiling.
>> No. 138473
>>138470
You honestly think that will work? Scribbler mentioned it'd be necessary to deceive her for a reason.

Here's an idea that'll let you be a dick and take Yuyuko's power: pretend to be sad and angry and regretful and all that bullshit. Surely the great Nicol Bolas can act well enough to trick Yuyuko into believing he's worth her power?
>> No. 138475
>>138473
there's no need for deception when Yuyuko can see a practical need.

Both are weakened. She doesn't know that Nicol has juice left and would likely believe him if he says he doesn't. Far as she knows if she doesn't do it they'll both die.
>> No. 138476
>>138475
Did you miss the bit about changing what Yuyuko thinks of Nicol? He's coldly telling her to continue the plan while wounded and demands more power from her. Yeah. That's going to go over well.

That's exactly the sort of monster that's worth sacrificing a life to defeat. And what luck, Yuyuko's already dead.
>> No. 138477
[X] ...regret? Something like sadness? Yuyuko’s in no state to be exerting herself now. The plan needs to be changed. You...should reward people who take risks to save you, so that such behavior will come up in the future. Get out of here, recover.

It all has to be worth something, in the end. Power taken will never be the equal of power willingly given.
>> No. 138478
>>138476
no, he's coldly telling himself to continue the plan.

Evil =/= Stupid. he's not gonna suddenly be a dick to Yuyuko just because he couldn't care less if she dies.

And he is going to ask with tact. In a way that makes clear that it's the right and practical thing to do. Black is supposed to be charismatic.
>> No. 138479
>>138477
>Power taken will never be the equal of power willingly given

This is up there with "Good Will Always Triumph Over Evil" and "The Handsome Hero Played By The Highly Paid Action-Man Actor Will Always Win The Day Despite Impossible Odds" in terms of cliche.

And also utterly against the spirit of Black mana.
>> No. 138480
>>138478
That makes more sense. Scribbler's Yuyuko is pretty absurdly charismatic herself, though.

Really not winning her any points on the Mary Sue scale by having her sacrifice herself, by the way. Wait, isn't this her second time sacrificing herself? That's gotta be worth double.
>> No. 138481
>>138480
getting duped into sacrifice and losing most of your powers would be worth negative points.
>> No. 138482
>>138480

If you can't see the flaws in this Yuyuko, you're being taken in by Bolas' first-person perspective. It's the same thing as when Remilia sexed Bolas up to keep him from getting a good night's sleep.

Anyway guys, I think trying to figure out the optimal choice by overthinking Scribbler's statement is a losing game. He already said none of the choices were suicidal. We're reading this for entertainment and the rage option is definitely going to be the most entertaining one. I want to see Nicol Bolas flip out and go fucking kill people, damnit!
>> No. 138483
[x] CURTAIN OF RED FALLS OVER VISION. MYOJIN OF INFINITE RAGE? I'LL SHOW YOU RAGE. THERE IS ALWAYS. A GREATER. POWER.
Let's do this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTUaqT-MmKI
the touhou way
>> No. 138485
[ ] CURTAIN OF RED FALLS OVER VISION. MYOJIN OF INFINITE RAGE? I'LL SHOW YOU RAGE. THERE IS ALWAYS. A GREATER. POWER.

shit just got real
>> No. 138486
[x] CURTAIN OF RED FALLS OVER VISION. MYOJIN OF INFINITE RAGE? I'LL SHOW YOU RAGE. THERE IS ALWAYS. A GREATER. POWER.
>> No. 138487
>>138486

[x] ...regret? Something like sadness? Yuyuko’s in no state to be exerting herself now. The plan needs to be changed. You...should reward people who take risks to save you, so that such behavior will come up in the future. Get out of here, recover.

Take it Easy!
>> No. 138490
[X] CURTAIN OF RED FALLS OVER VISION. MYOJIN OF INFINITE RAGE? I'LL SHOW YOU RAGE. THERE IS ALWAYS. A GREATER. POWER.

Rampage time.
>> No. 138492
[x] ...regret? Something like sadness? Yuyuko’s in no state to be exerting herself now. The plan needs to be changed. You...should reward people who take risks to save you, so that such behavior will come up in the future. Get out of here, recover.
>> No. 138493
[x] ...regret? Something like sadness? Yuyuko’s in no state to be exerting herself now. The plan needs to be changed. You...should reward people who take risks to save you, so that such behavior will come up in the future. Get out of here, recover.
>> No. 138496
>>138414
Adding to my vote.
after raginf

[x] ...regret?

Fuck it Yuyu was by far the closest person ever to reach our icy abyss of a heart. Fuck, if anything Nicol will be crying manly tears after this.
>> No. 138497
Black? White? Red?
White.
[x] ...regret? Something like sadness? Yuyuko’s in no state to be exerting herself now. The plan needs to be changed. You...should reward people who take risks to save you, so that such behavior will come up in the future. Get out of here, recover.
>> No. 138498
>hear her desperate and pained shriek as the fire claims her arm, eating through the sleeve of her dress and turning pristine skin to smoking, charred ash. The scent of cooking human reaches your nostrils and you find to your confusion and despair that it sickens you. Yuyuko falls down besides you, breathing heavily; you are struck by how fragile she appears in that moment, white skin over delicate bones

Isn't Yuyuko a ghost? and her corpse still sealing that cherry tree?
>> No. 138499
[x] ...regret? Something like sadness? Yuyuko’s in no state to be exerting herself now. The plan needs to be changed. You...should reward people who take risks to save you, so that such behavior will come up in the future. Get out of here, recover.
>> No. 138500
>>138498
Well, yeah, but if she dies as a ghost then she usually end up waking up at the base of the death tree.

Without memories.
>> No. 138510
[┼] ...regret? Something like sadness? Yuyuko’s in no state to be exerting herself now. The plan needs to be changed. You...should reward people who take risks to save you, so that such behavior will come up in the future. Get out of here, recover.
>> No. 138511
File 130144840648.jpg - (45.03KB , 312x445 , 18.jpg ) [iqdb]
138511
What...is this feeling? It’s familiar, like the ash-and-brimstone smell of your birthing crucible, the shoreside, swampy crags that you roamed in your years as a whelp. It’s a distant memory, something you’ve felt very sparsely, something...unpleasant. Something you don’t like. It probably has to do with the limbic system of this body, but you can’t help yourself. The thoughts available to the intellect are ever governed by the emotions of what these simians call the heart.

That is why, from a very young age, you learned to ensure that your emotions were always productive ones, ones capable of galvanizing you and protecting you. It is easy to funnel the desire to get even into the desire to get ahead. It is easy to allow fear to sharpen the senses and provoke the most brilliant tactics of necessity from the mind. You turned the passion that fueled your red mana to your own, blue-calculated ends, and discovered that those passions were the ones that most resonated with black mana.

The dragon is not a communal animal. It has no need for legions of so-called peers to preserve its life and standard of living from the turmoils of a chaotic world. In the tension between cooperation and competition that governs the sociability of a species, the resource requirements of a dragon ensure that competition reigns supreme. There was little point in trust, no social benefit to compassion that outweighed its hefty behavioral restrictions. Allies were ultimately threats; puppets were far more manageable.

Ambition. Selfishness. Ruthlessness. Those were the optimal emotions for a dragon to have.

So, painstakingly, carefully, remorselessly, you burned out everything else. What evolution failed to do, you did. You were determined to not only survive in the brutal competition of pre-War Dominaria, but to thrive. You bent every inch of you, every fibre, towards that purpose. And because you did, you were ready. Because you did, you alone of your brothers, the five victors of that war twenty-five thousand years ago, survived. But that is tangential to the here and now.

Intellectually, you could probably easily recognize this emotion if you saw it in another. But you do not have that luxury here. Your mind is, as usual, awhirl with thoughts, but numerous as they are their purpose is the same: save her. This is uncharacteristic of you, but the only thing worse than acting on a weak emotion is failing to act at all. With your...sadness...overriding your rage, you won’t be able to think of the optimal plan of attack. For now...for now, you must retreat.

You rush over to Yuyuko and, supporting her with your arm, teleport out of the area. The scrying mage is dead; no one interferes with your spell.

You appear in Eientei. Eirin gasps, recoiling, then rushes over to you. “You have the worst timing, you know? What’s going on? What happened?” You note a blond with a mob cap apparently unconscious on the operating table - Yukari?

“I’ll explain later,” you growl, “we’re dying here.”

[ ] Get comprehensive rest before dealing with the Kamigawans once more. Even if they know you’re coming, they won’t be able to stop a fully healed and prepared Nicol Bolas. The most important thing is ensuring that you’re at 100%. Your allies are inexperienced in this realm of combat; they are used to drawn-out, friendly confrontations involving large numbers of energy projectiles, not conceptual warfare with countermagic. Spending time to heal them would be wasteful; they’ll recover on their own eventually.

[ ] It’s too risky to wait until you’re fully healed. You must take the fight to them. Once Eirin stabilizes you and you feel that you’ve recovered an adequate amount of power, quickly continue the assault. You can avoid the Myojin with teleportation now that the scrying mage has been shut down, and you can’t cede initiative to the Kamigawans at this stage - what if they take the offensive?

[ ] Immediately after Eirin stabilizes you, help her heal the others. Yukari, once revived (if you can revive her), will be able to heal you all with minimal effort. If she was taken down by Kamigawan assailants - other options seem unlikely - she should be more than willing to help against the people who burned off Yuyuko’s arm. Of course, it remains to be seen whether her powers can compete on the level of conceptual primacy. It’s easy to edit a border such that the enemy magus is dead; it’s not so easy to do so when they have countermagic in play.

[ ] Write In. Eirin does not currently have any ready doses of Hourai Elixir.
>> No. 138515
[x] Immediately after Eirin stabilizes you, help her heal the others. Yukari, once revived (if you can revive her), will be able to heal you all with minimal effort. If she was taken down by Kamigawan assailants - other options seem unlikely - she should be more than willing to help against the people who burned off Yuyuko’s arm. Of course, it remains to be seen whether her powers can compete on the level of conceptual primacy. It’s easy to edit a border such that the enemy magus is dead; it’s not so easy to do so when they have countermagic in play.

I like this Yukari and would enjoy seeing more of her.
>> No. 138518
[x] It’s too risky to wait until you’re fully healed. You must take the fight to them. Once Eirin stabilizes you and you feel that you’ve recovered an adequate amount of power, quickly continue the assault. You can avoid the Myojin with teleportation now that the scrying mage has been shut down, and you can’t cede initiative to the Kamigawans at this stage - what if they take the offensive?

Leave the healing to Eirin. Nicol really can't afford to let Kamigawa get even more of a foothold in Gensokyo.
>> No. 138519
[┼] Immediately after Eirin stabilizes you, help her heal the others. Yukari, once revived (if you can revive her), will be able to heal you all with minimal effort. If she was taken down by Kamigawan assailants - other options seem unlikely - she should be more than willing to help against the people who burned off Yuyuko’s arm. Of course, it remains to be seen whether her powers can compete on the level of conceptual primacy. It’s easy to edit a border such that the enemy magus is dead; it’s not so easy to do so when they have countermagic in play.

Nicol should probably have something done about that 'die in a few minutes' thing though if he's to help.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the older inhabitants of Gensokyo could readily adapt back to lethal combat - Yukari probably being chief amongst them.
>> No. 138521
[x] Immediately after Eirin stabilizes you, help her heal the others. Yukari, once revived (if you can revive her), will be able to heal you all with minimal effort. If she was taken down by Kamigawan assailants - other options seem unlikely - she should be more than willing to help against the people who burned off Yuyuko’s arm. Of course, it remains to be seen whether her powers can compete on the level of conceptual primacy. It’s easy to edit a border such that the enemy magus is dead; it’s not so easy to do so when they have countermagic in play.

Or she can just manipulate some other border if existence/nonexistence is guarded too well. Border of attention/distraction is a great indirect way of damaging their ability to react.
>> No. 138522
No matter the choice that wins messages need to be dispatched to, at least, the major powers.

And we can't forget Nicol's loyal minion & Youmu have no idea what's going on & are going to be waiting. They need to be contacted ASAP before they're ambushed.
>> No. 138525
[ ] Immediately after Eirin stabilizes you, help her heal the others. Yukari, once revived (if you can revive her), will be able to heal you all with minimal effort. If she was taken down by Kamigawan assailants - other options seem unlikely - she should be more than willing to help against the people who burned off Yuyuko’s arm. Of course, it remains to be seen whether her powers can compete on the level of conceptual primacy. It’s easy to edit a border such that the enemy magus is dead; it’s not so easy to do so when they have countermagic in play.

When doing this broach the restoration of your black mana! That would have been a cake walk had you access to your Black mana and with that monster walking around unable to be killed the conventional way what you need are options and black mana would give you them!
>> No. 138528
[ ] It’s too risky to wait until you’re fully healed. You must take the fight to them. Once Eirin stabilizes you and you feel that you’ve recovered an adequate amount of power, quickly continue the assault. You can avoid the Myojin with teleportation now that the scrying mage has been shut down, and you can’t cede initiative to the Kamigawans at this stage - what if they take the offensive?

I don't think the enemies are actually that tough. They only seem that way because their indestructible minion caught us by surprise. If their blue mages can't even fight back against Bolas when he's on the verge of death, we should be fine. There's no need to blow this out of proportion, especially if we bring Meiling along and give her the greaves again.
>> No. 138529
[x] Immediately after Eirin stabilizes you, help her heal the others. Yukari, once revived (if you can revive her), will be able to heal you all with minimal effort. If she was taken down by Kamigawan assailants - other options seem unlikely - she should be more than willing to help against the people who burned off Yuyuko’s arm. Of course, it remains to be seen whether her powers can compete on the level of conceptual primacy. It’s easy to edit a border such that the enemy magus is dead; it’s not so easy to do so when they have countermagic in play.
>> No. 138533
[x] Immediately after Eirin stabilizes you, help her heal the others. Yukari, once revived (if you can revive her), will be able to heal you all with minimal effort. If she was taken down by Kamigawan assailants - other options seem unlikely - she should be more than willing to help against the people who burned off Yuyuko’s arm. Of course, it remains to be seen whether her powers can compete on the level of conceptual primacy. It’s easy to edit a border such that the enemy magus is dead; it’s not so easy to do so when they have countermagic in play.
>> No. 138539
>>138515

What is it that you like about her?

>>138522

Yes, Nicol will telepathically inform Meiling about what's up once he stabilizes.
>> No. 138548
[X] It’s too risky to wait until you’re fully healed. You must take the fight to them. Once Eirin stabilizes you and you feel that you’ve recovered an adequate amount of power, quickly continue the assault. You can avoid the Myojin with teleportation now that the scrying mage has been shut down, and you can’t cede initiative to the Kamigawans at this stage - what if they take the offensive?

I liked this turn, all of those emotions might have held us back if we were still a dragon but... we're not. We're human, and squishy, we need help like that. A tactical retreat to catch our breath and move around the biggest threat seems like sound strategy.
>> No. 138551
[X] Immediately after Eirin stabilizes you, help her heal the others. Yukari, once revived (if you can revive her), will be able to heal you all with minimal effort. If she was taken down by Kamigawan assailants - other options seem unlikely - she should be more than willing to help against the people who burned off Yuyuko’s arm. Of course, it remains to be seen whether her powers can compete on the level of conceptual primacy. It’s easy to edit a border such that the enemy magus is dead; it’s not so easy to do so when they have countermagic in play.
>> No. 138556
[x] Immediately after Eirin stabilizes you, help her heal the others. Yukari, once revived (if you can revive her), will be able to heal you all with minimal effort. If she was taken down by Kamigawan assailants - other options seem unlikely - she should be more than willing to help against the people who burned off Yuyuko’s arm. Of course, it remains to be seen whether her powers can compete on the level of conceptual primacy. It’s easy to edit a border such that the enemy magus is dead; it’s not so easy to do so when they have countermagic in play.

Remember that Yukari and Yuyuko are best friends, they have just pissed off 2 of the most powerful bieings in gensokyo AND Nicol Bolas. £5 on us.
>> No. 138563
>>138539
>What did you like about Yukari?
She seemed playful and confident. She probably won't remain that way with a serious threat to fight, but that's fine too.
>> No. 138599
File 130152611777.jpg - (88.54KB , 312x445 , 75.jpg ) [iqdb]
138599
Eirin deals with you first, setting Yuyuko on a triage bed and jabbing two syringes into your arm. You hiss, still not entirely used to the overwhelming sensation of pain the human body experiences from the tiniest wounds. The hardened scales of a dragon do not even feel the bite of a longsword or pointed lance, let alone these small devices. Still, you understand those are some rather large syringes. “What is that,” you grunt, “extract of orochi and...tangleweed sap?”

She nods. “For dealing with...” she eyes dubiously “...burns of that magnitude, the normal stuff won’t work. This mix is a bit tricker, but I assume you know how to mix them in your bloodstream?”

You nod. “Very well, now see to Yuyuko. I’ll take it from here.”

She pats you briskly on the unburned shoulder, but shakes her head. “Yuyuko’ll live; I’ll put her under to make sure she doesn’t go into shock. Yukari...I’m not so sure. Whatever attacked her got her good. She’s hanging on by a thread.”

“Can she last five minutes?”

“Probably. I don’t have enough unguent of timelessness to create an Elixir, but five minutes...yes.”

You close your eyes, tendrils of blue mana seeping from your Spark, through the thin veil that obscures the physical from the spiritual, into your heart, and from it, your arteries and veins. “Then, she’ll live.”

Normally, tangleweed sap is formed into a salve that is rubbed on burns; raw exposure to skin is mildly poisonous. An injection of tangleweed sap into the human cardiovascular system should cause a near-immediate heart attack, but the extract of orochi-kami both dilutes the solution and enhances its medicinal properties. If you properly distribute the mixture throughout the capillaries that feed to your skin, your massive burns should be ameliorated rapidly. It’s a delicate process, and one you haven’t attempted before, so you rehearse the procedure several times mentally before performing it in reality. The imaginative powers of this simian brain are not totally lacking.

After you complete the distribution, you open your eyes and join Eirin at the operating table. “What’s your plan?” She asks.

You examine the wounds - severe lacerations all over the torso, abdomen, and thighs. The patterns formed by the wounds suggest a sense of...wistfulness? They’re curved and long, like an artistic depiction of waves...or winds. Eyes narrowing, you run a finger over to her wrist to check her pulse, then turn her neck to the side.

“Get me a flashlight.” Eirin nimbly opens a wall drawer and snatches one out. “The operating lamp’s not enough lighting?”

You growl and snap your fingers, a pale blue luminescence spilling from your index finger. Touching it to the deactivated flashlight, the device sputters and glows for a moment before snapping on, its light the same azure hue. You nod to yourself and examine the wounds under the light, then close your eyes, exhaling. Again, you’re right.

“What’s that mean? What were those eye symbols that appeared under the light?”

“Yukari was attacked by a being similar to the one Yuyuko and I fought - a Myojin, one of the highest-tier of the Kamigawan spiritual hierarchy, fused to a human. This one was probably merged in a way such that her power over boundaries was more hinderance than help. The Myojin of Seeing Winds is an enemy capable of predicting her every thought before she thinks it. For all Yukari’s power, for all that she commands world-shaking forces, she is still subject to roughly the same limitations that a human is. I imagine the Myojin simply predicted when she would be at her weakest and struck.”

“You’re saying it has similar capabilities to Keine’s youkai form, but it’s also physically formidable.”

“To a degree. The Myojin of Seeing Winds itself is a weakling, barely stronger than a bull elephant, but it was probably fused to the most powerful warrior the Kamigawans could acquire. If it was combined with someone like Iwaromi of the Open Fist, it could easily have the physical prowess to strangle a full grown lesser dragon with its bare hands. Of course, since it’s a Myojin, the method I used to incapacitate Keine in her youkai form won’t work against it, and, being aspected to blue mana, its human host may have gained the ability to perform countermagic.”

“Ah! That explains why my normal restoratives weren’t working. It must have impregnated the wounds with some sort of...countering shield that resists magical healing, similar to the bacteria you spawned.”

“...Yes.” You ignore the jab and consider the situation carefully. “This will be difficult. We don’t know where her assailant went?”

“No.” Eirin shakes her head. “I haven’t heard of anyone else being attacked, though.”

“I can counter the spell the Myojin placed upon Yukari, but given the strength of the entity a normal counter suite won’t be effective. I will need some time to prepare, and I also have to contact my servant.”

“The unguent’s wearing off. I don’t know how much longer she’s going to last.”

[ ] [M] Push yourself, using Tidings to enhance your mental capacity to the level where you can continuously counter the Myojin’s enchantment and also hold a telepathic conversation with Meiling. Do note that you will be weakened for a confrontation with either Myojin or their controllers for the rest of the day.

[ ] Meiling can take care of herself even without the greaves; deal with Yukari first.

[ ] Yukari’s more likely to be a liability than an asset in this fight. Get Meiling over here as soon as possible.

[ ] Write In.

The enchantment is a Shrouded Aura with, “whenever an ability would heal this creature, counter it.” You will have to Trickbind the triggered ability every turn, but it’s not a spell you’ve practiced lately.

You believe the Myojin Hybrids to have the following abilities:

Warning: Complicated Magic Rules. You don’t need to know this; Nicol is already appraised.

*Myojin Hybrids are considered both in the graveyard and on the battlefield. Effectively, think of the Myojin Hybrid as two cards representing one creature. One is in the grave and one is in the battlefield. Unless both the card in the grave and the card in the battlefield are removed from their player’s control in the same turn, at end of turn the two cards revert to their original positions.

Examples:

If you destroy the one on the battlefield, at end of turn the one in the grave will ‘revive’ its brother.

If you exile the one in the grave, at end of turn the one on the battlefield will cause it to return to the graveyard.

If you bounce the one on the battlefield, at end of turn the one in the grave will return it to the battlefield.

If you bring the one on the battlefield under your control, at end of turn it will revert to its original player’s control unless you also bring the one in the grave under your control.

If you both return the one from the grave into play under your control AND Mind Control the one on the battlefield, you have successfully fully gained control of the Myojin Hybrid. At end of turn, the ‘grave’ half will enter YOUR grave (this is an explicit exception to normal card owner rules). This was Bolas’ original plan.

If Bolas had his black mana, he could do something like Consuming Vapors (battlefield to grave) + Haunting Echoes (both cards in grave to exile) to singlehandedly slay a Myojin Hybrid.

*Myojin Hybrids have all the abilities of their component Myojin and Human, including indestructibility via divinity counter.

*Myojin Hybrids have additional / modified abilities arising from the synergy of Myojin and Human.

Hybrid of Infinite Rage: 7/4, Ninjutsu 1R, Firebreathing, when it deals damage to a player draw a card, divinity counter

Hybrid of Seeing Winds: ?/? (probably 5/5 or higher), Trample?, Unidentified Abilities?, divinity counter
>> No. 138601
Wow, those things are positively devilish. WITH THAT SAID.

[X] [M] Push yourself, using Tidings to enhance your mental capacity to the level where you can continuously counter the Myojin’s enchantment and also hold a telepathic conversation with Meiling. Do note that you will be weakened for a confrontation with either Myojin or their controllers for the rest of the day.

These aren't the kind of fuckers that can be handled singlehandedly at our current power level. We need to get all the Haxiest Hax in Gensokyo up and running, and mobilize what assets we've gained so far. We can probably spin this into being a dry run for the Eldrazi, and maybe start tapping other assets throughout the area.

If we can, after we're done contacting Ninja!Meiling, we can start contacting other figures who may be targets (Keine in particular strikes me as being a High Priority Target, but Sakuya and other Hax people throughout the land are probably going to get others tailor-made to throw them out). This seems to be a well planned and coordinated assault, with high end operatives equipped to handle what defenses Gensokyo had.

But they didn't anticipate Nicol Fucking Bolas! Let's mobilize the plane and get ready to kick some assholes off the planet!
>> No. 138603
[X] [M] Push yourself, using Tidings to enhance your mental capacity to the level where you can continuously counter the Myojin’s enchantment and also hold a telepathic conversation with Meiling. Do note that you will be weakened for a confrontation with either Myojin or their controllers for the rest of the day.

[x] If possible a) let everyone know what they did to Myon, Yukari, and Yuyuko, and b) spin the counterattack as also being a dry run for the Eldrazi. If nothing else, letting everyone know the tailor made Myojin is showing up might allow them to mix up the fights so the Myojin has less of an advantage. (Some abilities are hard to counter - the only one outright immune to mind reading I know of is Koishi.)
>> No. 138604
[x] Meiling can take care of herself even without the greaves; deal with Yukari first.

Meiling has the Jitte. She'll be fine as long as she can exchange blows with something.
>> No. 138606
List of likely targets if they do go for other power players and what they would have to counter.

Remilia(fatehax)
Sakuya(timehax)
Flandre(OHKs probaly countered by the hybrid form but she can probably deystroy spirits too)
Reimu(fantasy heaven[is this counterable?])
Kienie(not much right now)
Eirin(You, at the moment, however many traps she/Tewi has set)
Kaguya(timehax,whole of erintei)
Marisa(MASTER SPPPAAARRRRKKK!!!!)
Shinkeki(komachi, the fact she's a yama)
Moriya shrine(Wind, Earth and Water attacks + Sanae's possible miricles)
Utsuho(nukes)

long list... we need to figue out what myojin's going where if we want to counter them, IF we're going to bother, however theres too many potential targets. We should gather what forces we can in a short space of time and target the enemy base, they've probably got what they came for and may or may not stop to finnish Nicol. Depending on her location, sending Ninja!meling to the SDM to recrit them for backup will be a bit of a suprise for them, if they target it. and if not then it's still several powerfull allies.

[ ] [M] Push yourself, using Tidings to enhance your mental capacity to the level where you can continuously counter the Myojin’s enchantment and also hold a telepathic conversation with Meiling. Do note that you will be weakened for a confrontation with either Myojin or their controllers for the rest of the day.
-[x] If Ninja!meling is near the SDM then have her stop there to see if they will help us in the upcoming fight, reminding them if you lose gensokyo loses to the eldrazi later.
>> No. 138612
>>138604
Meiling might be fine, but we still do need to get a rallying cry of sorts out, notifying the power players that Someone's Out to Get Us.

That said, we shouldn't actually say it's the Eldrazi behind it, that's a lie that can be picked up on real easy. That said, we CAN (And should) be honest that we're under attack, and it'll wear down any defenses that might be brought up against the real threat.

Anyway, we'll have Yukari back in actions soon enough, and her Gap Hax (Coupled with any other Cheating Jerks we can recruit) coupled with us running interference on any hax thrown out in return, should help us take the advantage.
>> No. 138616
>>138606

Let me help you guys out a bit. This list is mostly accurate, but the characters on there whose power mainly comes from inflicting ludicrous amounts of damage or outright destroying things are irrelevant against the Myojin. No amount of damage can destroy an indestructible creature unless it's wither damage. Thus, while characters like Remilia will be able to help, Flandre's total destruction ability won't be useful (it can destroy normal spirits, but the Myojin are explicitly indestructible). The same goes for Marisa, Reimu, Utusuho, etc. If you want to make these characters relevant, you'll have to research something that grants wither or infect, like Grafted Exoskeleton or Fists of the Demigod. Alternatively, you could Corrupted Conscience them, but that would take...some persuading, even with a threat of this magnitude. However, Nicol is already planning on researching Puncture Blast and Relic of Progenitus, so you guys will have to decide what's priority 1.

Is Fantasy Heaven counterable: If you know she's going to cast it, yes. Even if you don't, you can still counter the attacks that originate from it with either trickbind or double negative, depending.

There are two main Myojin which Nicol needs to deal with in person: Infinite Rage, whose divinity counter removal triggers an Armageddon-like effect, and Cleansing Fire, whose divinity counter removal triggers a Wrath of God effect. Of course, Nicol doesn't know if Cleansing fire is even present yet. If either of those Myojin are pressed to the point where they'll sacrifice their divinity, Nicol needs to be on hand to Trickbind it. It's possible Yukari could stop a divinity activation as well, but she doesn't have counters backing up her counters.
>> No. 138617
Why thank you good sir, I thought something was up with the targetting.

Plus, because we pulled back then, we're in a position to save Yukari--she'd have been dead as a doornail if we pressed the attack, and now she's going to owe us her life.

SEE? GOOD THINGS BRING GOOD REWARDS ANON!
>> No. 138630
>>138617

Is death a problem when you're friends with Yuyuko Saigyouji?

[X] [M] Push yourself, using Tidings to enhance your mental capacity to the level where you can continuously counter the Myojin’s enchantment and also hold a telepathic conversation with Meiling. Do note that you will be weakened for a confrontation with either Myojin or their controllers for the rest of the day.

I think we should try the corrupted conscience option. If we can put one on a really powerful touhou, we can keep all our mana open for counters and just let the touhou kill the Myojin off with delicious phyrexian power.
>> No. 138643
Oh shit, they still have their divinity counters on?

That, uh, complicates things.

I would like to note that going against Seeing Winds at anything less than full strength is a Bad Idea. If it comes down to a counter battle, that ability WILL draw answers. Infinite Rage is almost as bad, if shit gets really bad it casts Armageddon... on our turn, probably at a point when we really need the extra mana or at the end when it will get the first chance to recover.

[x] Meiling can take care of herself even without the greaves; deal with Yukari first.
>> No. 138644
>>138630
Considering Meiling's existence may be based entirely on a perception of her current self as powered by us?

If she's a Meiling Counter, no rez magic in the world will get her back.
>> No. 138645
>>138630
>Is death a problem
yes
>> No. 138646
Is the enchantment in question blue?
If so we can just lend her the Sword of Fire & Ice then treat her accordingly. As the aura will fall off once she gains protection from blue, removing the need for trickbinding.

Of course we probably don't actually carry it with us. So we'd have to get Shadow Meiling over here if we were to enact this plan.
>> No. 138657
>>138646
Oh! Sneaky...
>> No. 138663
[x] Meiling can take care of herself even without the greaves; deal with Yukari first.

Not-Meiling should never have existed in the first place. Good riddance if she dies.
>> No. 138664
>>138644

I believe he was referring to Yukari when he asked that rhetorical question. Presumably Yuyuko could simply turn her into a ghost and then she could simply manipulate the boundary between ghost and humanity.

>>138646

Getting the enchantment off once you no longer need it is not a problem; you can simply boomerang it. The problem is, who trusts you to boomerang it or knows that you're not lying when you say the sword will remove it? After all, they can't tell whether the enchanted character is under your mind control or not, and even something like infect is tricky since it could be spiritual infection and thus easier to hide.

Shadow Meiling is not in danger; the priority is getting HER over here to protect YOU. As a character with protection from both red and blue, neither of the Myojins you've seen so far can hurt her, and the potentially most dangerous Myojin (seeing winds) is powerless to attack someone she's blocking, while Infinite Rage can only get through with Ninjutsu. Plus she can lifegain you with the Jitte if she gets in combat with something powerful.

Mechanics of the Jitte:

1) In order to reduce abuseability it only works when she's fighting someone of significant power (as arbitrarily determined by my whins, hah!) and with full intent to kill.

2) Because she has double strike it gives 4 counters per exchange, not 2, when she fights people against whom double strike fully impacts (i.e. almost always due to her trample).
>> No. 138665
>>138663
No

>>138646
Do this. It get our Meiling to us so we can give her the Greaves back, and it should cancel the curse cheaply.
>> No. 138666
>>138665
To clarify, if the curse on Yukari is Blue based, as implied, give her the sword should cancel it.
>> No. 138673
>>138666

Ah, I see what you mean. That's clever and would indeed work, once the sword is at your location. Of course, if the Myojin of Seeing Winds knows that Meiling is going to be without her sword at XX:XX window of time...
>> No. 138674
>>138673

That's why we give her the Greaves back. Let em swap equipment, its even a fairly cheap back and forth if we look at it manawise.
>> No. 138675
>>138674

The issue is not the immunity to spells per se, but rather the lack of Pro blue. A 3/3 double striker still dies to a 5/5 indestructible trampler.
>> No. 138677
>>138673
if you look at it that way, there's nothing to stop it ganking an unconscious Yuyuko either. Or Eirin. That is, other than the fact that they'll be right here where we can do something about it.
>> No. 138683
>>138677

More or less, yeah, this is a right fucked up situation we're on, and it's only going to get worse if we try doing anything too fancy. We'll have some asskickers soon enough, let's get our assets in place, and serve as countermagic cover.

Then our Touhous can get their danmaku on and we'll all be sipping tea and drinking beer in no time!
>> No. 138715
[ ] Nothing. Stick to the plan. There is nothing worse than being emotionally compromised during a fight. She was a useful tool; she prevented you from dying.
>> No. 138729
>>138673
Yes the Mjolin of Seeing Winds can see that, and then come after us, all at once. We should therefore call in other support, so for the few seconds that Shadow!Meiling is without the sword, she's surrounded by powerful Touhous, and standing right next to you. As we have a Timestop artifact floating around as well, then we should exploit that to the fullest to synchronise the artifact handover and healing.
>> No. 138735
>>138729
So we should summon all of Gensokyo and their mothers plus half a dozen artifacts just so that Yukari and Meiling can exchange them? Doesn't sound like efficient planning to me. Besides, even if we do all that the Myojin is still going to know about it and do something to mess up our plans.
>>138606
Don't know how to spell them or just tired? Don't take this personally but at least google check next time if you're not entirely sure. Works for me...
>> No. 138792
File 130163629085.jpg - (22.00KB , 450x338 , scorpion.jpg ) [iqdb]
138792
>>138738

GET OVER HERE!