[Return]
Archived Thread

File 129153160220.png - (38.36KB , 227x285 , sarda.png ) [iqdb]
131167 No. 131167
Thread 1: >>123033
Thread 2: >>124226
Thread 3: >>124917
Thread 4: >>125518
Thread 5: >>126187
Thread 6: >>126955
Thread 7: >>127594
Thread 8: >>128755
Thread 9: >>129398
Thread 10 >>130134

In which a mind is shattered.


[X]AGGROEAT!


“No,” you say firmly. “I’m hungry. And it sounds like people are trying to murder each other today, instead of me. That’s a beautiful thing. Let’s not spoil that.”

Cirno pouts, crossing her arms and glaring up at you. “I thought you were a big hero.”

Everyone’s big to you,” you quip, and dodge a swift kick aimed at your shins.

“Somebody’s getting murderized and you’re just going to eat breakfast!?

You search for a more diplomatic phrasing, surrendering after a few seconds with a shrug. “Yup.”

Cirno stomps her foot crossly, and after a second of contemplation, stomps on your foot with surprising strength. She advances on you, eyes blazing, forcing you to retreat at a brisk hop.

“What the hell-!”

“You should go help!” Cirno informs you brusquely. “That’s Patchy’s library down there, she’s probably getting, like, explodicated!”

You glance at Keine imploringly.

“She’s probably being ambuscaded, too,” Keine adds, smiling sweetly at you.

Traitor,” you hiss at Keine.

“See!?” Cirno insists. Another muted whBOOMF! punctuates her statement. “We gotta go!

“... fine,” you mutter. “FINE. Dying hurts less on an empty stomach anyways.” You jam your hands into your pockets glumly and stomp down the corridor towards the dining room.

“But aren’t we gonna loooook-” moans Cirno.

“Look where!?” you point out. “I’ll go ask Remilia. I’m not going to wander around randomly opening doors.”

“Why not?” Cirno asks.

You stop suddenly and whirl about, glaring down at Cirno dramatically. “Because some of them have leopards behind them,” you intone quietly. Cirno’s eyes widen, and she goes quiet. You resume your trek.

As you near the dining room, Sakuya appears from the side corridor leading to the kitchen, carrying a heavily-laden tray. Cirno springs ahead of you, shouting: “Saku~ya! Who’s fighting!? Where!?”

Sakuya heaves the sigh of the long-suffering. “Probably just Marisa and Patchouli going at it again. Half the time they talk, half the time they fight. Miss Knowledge is probably upset over the books you returned.”

“I’ll bet,” you say, adroitly plucking the tray right out of Sakuya’s hands as you pass her. “Thanks. See you in a few.”

“What.” Sakuya says flatly. “Wait. WAIT!”

“Duty calls~” you singsong casually, balancing the tray on one hand to make the gestures to Unseen Servant with the other. “Hold this,” you instruct, passing the tray to your invisible attendant. Looking it over, you select the teapot and another one of those queer little china cups.

Sakuya appears a little ways in front of you, looking properly pissed off. “What, exactly, do you think you are doing?” she demands.

“Having breakfast,” you say casually, pouring the contents of the pot into the little cup carefully as you stride on by her. She instantly appears a little ways ahead of you again.

“Return my tray at once. The mistress is expecting her breakfast, which you have already delayed quite long enough.”

“That’s nice,” you say dismissively, striding right past Sakuya again. Sipping at the cup, you grimace. “More goddamn tea!? Isn’t there any coffee in this place?”

“I said- coffee?” the head maid says as she appears ahead of you again, this time with her arms crossed.

You halt so suddenly that Keine nearly crashes into you. You turn and stare at the maid, teacup forgotten.

“You don’t know... what coffee is...?”

“No. I don’t know this ‘coffee’,” Sakuya says flatly.

The teacup quivers in your hand as the full, terrible truth of Gensokyo hits you like an airdropped Tarrasque. “You mean you... don’t have any... any...”

“Well, I’ve heard of it, now that I think about it,” Sakuya says thoughtfully, her brusque demeanor slipping a bit. “But I can’t remember ever seeing it in the market... why, do you need it?”

“Need?” you stutter faintly, the teacup in your hand sloshing quite badly now. “Need!?” The edge of hysteria in your voice induces Sakuya to retreat a step. “If you think I’m insane now...

Sakuya stares at you for a moment, then blinks, shaking her head a bit. “No matter,” she states with finality, brushing aside the coffee, the tray theft, and (you feel,) the whole bewildering issue she’s filed under ‘ZUUL.’ “The Mistress is expecting you for breakfast,” she continues, fixing you with her cool blue eyes, “so you will come with me.”

“Just as soon as-”

Now.” The piercing coldness of her tone shoots down your spine.

The teacup stops sloshing.

“The last person who said that to me caught me after I’d had my morning coffee,” you say , your voice flat and hard. “But you? You’re shit out of luck.”

Sakuya’s fingertips twitch, but she just continues the staring match with you. She didn’t mistake the steel in your voice for a bluff.

Your intense staredown is abruptly terminated by another whBOOMF, except this one is neither muted nor distant, its incredible report bashing in your eardrums with pachydermic impetus. You and Sakuya both whirl about in time to see two vaguely frilly motion blurs blasting down the hallway towards you. The head maid thoughtfully tackles you to the ground as they thunder by overhead. As your face meets hardwood, you hear a confused tangle of screams and impacts sounding further down the hallway.

“That’s not Marisa,” Sakuya says professionally from somewhere atop you.

“Fuck you,” you say with real emotion, struggling to rise. Sakuya keeps you pinned firmly to the floor.

“Let me help you up,” you hear Keine say roughly, and Sakuya’s slender weight is abruptly lifted from your back. You struggle to your knees, plucking a bagel off the hovering tray as you do so. Cirno is clutching Keine’s dress, hiding behind her legs, and Sakuya is giving the schoolteacher a cool look from just out of arms reach.

“You okay?” Keine asks you.

“Yufff,” you confirm through a mouthful of bagel.

“Alright, then.” She steps forward, places a hand on your shoulder, and turns you to look down the hall. “What do you make of that?

A ways down the hall you witness a proper imbroglio of lace and legs thrashing about on the floor. Eventually you make out Flandre in the tangle, wrestling with a girl whose face seems buried somewhere in a tan bin of some sort. As you watch, the bin gets knocked off bodily by a wild swing from Flan.

“Should we...” Keine ventures.

You hear Sakuya sigh. “Not with Flandre. It’d just start a nasty fight. Just wait for them to settle down, and we can talk.”

You nod your mute assent as you continue to munch on your bagel. It’s warm, moist, and altogether heavenly.

Eventually the tangle resolves itself as the owner of the head-bin frees herself momentarily and plasters herself to the wall. Flandre advances on her menacingly, hands making little eager grabbing motions in the air.

“F-Flandre, come on now,” the girl says. “W-w-we can play later, okay?”

“I’m bored now,,” Flandre says, her voice dripping resentment. “We play now.

Something in the vampire’s demeanor doesn’t strike you as particularly playful. You glance sideways at Keine, who is looking rather worried. Craning your neck a little more, you try to catch Sakuya’s eye. To your alarm, she actually looks... apprehensive?

You swallow your current bite of bagel. “All together, okay?”

Sakuya and Keine both nod. The maid takes a step forward and opens her mouth, but you cut her off. “HEY! FLAN-FLAN!”

“Shove off,” she snarls, still advancing on the blonde girl, who’s inching sideways along the wall.

“Hey! Flan!”

Fuck off!”

“Hey, Flan!”

She ignores you completely and springs suddenly at the blonde, who dives out of the way just in time.

You grit your teeth, squeezing your bagel slightly in your free hand as you storm down the hallway towards the two, Keine and Sakuya at your heels. Sucking in a lungful of air, you prepare to state your case for the cessation of hostilities.

“FLANDRE, PAY ATTENTION TO ME OR I’LL RAM A FUCKING DRAGON UP YOUR ASS AND A THOUSAND PLATINUM PEICES DOWN YOUR THROAT!”

You hear Sakuya gasp.

The diminutive vampire abruptly ceases her pursuit. She turns slowly to look at you. “What did you say to me?” You’re not sure how much of the astonishment comes from actually being threatened, or trying to decipher the threat.



[ ] Answer her question. It’s best to remove ourselves from the “toy” category right now. Permanently.
[ ] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.
[ ] Frown. Pout. “Fine. Play with her if you must. Don’t let me interrupt!”

>> No. 131170
[x] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

>Coffee
>FLANDRE, PAY ATTENTION TO ME...
>Cirno's vocabulary.

LOL SO RANDUM XDDDDD

No, seriously though, that shit is completely idiotic and non sensible. Cirno's vocabulary is the most notorious offender, though. At first, when it popped up uncommonly, and only for humorous affront, it was funny and charming. Now you have her mispronouncing words every other sentence. It's about as grating as her getting violent and offended at every action we take.
>> No. 131171
[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

>>131170
Don't see what the big deal is, its just Cirno trying to seem smarter than she really is and the MC being an out-of-touch asshole.

>Sakuya keeps you pinned firmly to the floor.
>“Let me help you up,” you hear Keine say roughly, and Sakuya’s slender weight is abruptly lifted from your back.

Someone's jealous.
>> No. 131173
Foresight had so many votes in the last thread that I decided it was a shoe-in- and if you read the description, you’ll see it has some uses against Miss Timehax. 6th level wasn’t up for votes but a few 6th level spells were popular anyways, so I just threw them in there.

Some things to keep in mind- spells noted as “costly” require some gems you don’t currently have; on the other hand they’re VERY powerful. (This could be a sidequest.) Mind-affecting spells will have trouble working on the strong-willed, but are potentially devastating.

A full spell list, with quick links to full spell descriptions, can be found here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/sorcererWizardSpells.htm

CONFIRMED SPELLS:

Foresight (9th) “Sixth sense” warns of impending danger.
Antimagic Field (6th) Negates magic within 10 ft.
Evan’s Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion(6th) Wait, what?

NOMINATED SPELLS:

8th Level: (VOTE FOR TWO)

[ ] Greater Planar Binding As lesser planar binding, but up to 18 HD.
[ ] Scintillating Pattern Twisting colors confuse, stun, or render unconscious.
[ ] Trap the Soul Imprisons subject within gem. Ed. Note: VERY costly.
[ ] Sunburst Blinds all within 10 ft., deals 6d6 damage.
[ ] Greater Prying Eyes As prying eyes, but eyes have true seeing.
[ ] Mind Blank Subject is immune to mental/emotional magic and scrying.
[ ] Greater Shout Devastating yell deals 10d6 sonic damage; stuns creatures, damages objects.
[ ] Telekinetic Sphere Mobile Force globe protects but traps one subject.
[ ] Horrid Wilting Evaporates moisture from the body of living creatures; 1d6/level damage within 30 ft.
[ ] Protection From Spells Confers +8 resistance bonus on saving throws versus magic. Ed. Note: Costly, but can benefit allies. See description.
[ ] Mass Charm Monster Makes all monsters (youkai) in 30ft believe they are your ally.


7th Level: (VOTE FOR THREE)

[ ] Control Weather Changes weather in local area.
[ ] Prismatic Spray Rays hit subjects with variety of effects.
[ ] Statue Subject can become a statue at will.
[ ] Limited Wish Alters reality—within spell limits.
[ ] Project Image Illusory double can talk and cast spells.
[ ] Mass Invisibility As invisibility, but affects all in range- 1,080 feet!
[ ] Delayed Blast Fireball 1d6/level fire damage; you can postpone blast for 5 rounds. Ed. Note: TWICE as powerful as normal Fireball!

PROPOSAL TO INCREASE TAX ON LATE WRITEFAGS TO .428 MILLS
>> No. 131176
>>131170

See >>123117. She's used these same words since the moment we met her.

CONSISTENCY SO LOLRANDUM XDDDD
>> No. 131177
[x] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

[x] Sunburst

Good in a pinch.

[x] Telekinetic Sphere

Useful against loli-destroyers in case something bad happens here.

[x] Limited Wish
[x] Mass Invisibility
[x] Delayed Blast Fireball
>> No. 131178
Telekinetic Sphere.
Greater Planar Binding is just too useful even with the distance involved.

Limited Wish is a great util spell.
Control Weather may be useful.
Prismatic Spray is fantastic.
>> No. 131179
>>131173

SHIT. Forgot to put this on the 8th Level list:

[ ] Polymorph Any Object Changes any subject into anything else.
>> No. 131180
[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
-[X] "Try the bagels, they're pretty good!"
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

[X] Sunburst
[X] Telekinetic Sphere

[X] Limited Wish
[X] Control Weather
[X] Delayed Blast Fireball

Needs cream cheese though.
>> No. 131181
[X] Mind Blank
[X] Mass Charm Monster
Nonviolent solutions make good priorities, and Mind Blank is definitely worth keeping up since it lasts 24 hours.

[X] Control Weather
[X] Limited Wish
[X] Mass Invisibility

Limited wish is just plain worth having as either an "oh shit" button or if you really need to do something that you don't have a spell for. Invisibility is just plain good. Control Weather is just too cool and we could definitely use it to impress someone. Maybe make the day overcast for Remi?
>> No. 131182
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

As for spells:
[X]Greater Planar Binding
[X]Polymorph Any Object
[X]Control Weather
[X]Project Image
[X]Mass Invisibility
>> No. 131183
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

8th level spells
[X] Scintillating Pattern Twisting colors confuse, stun, or render unconscious.
[X] Telekinetic Sphere Mobile Force globe protects but traps one subject.

7th level spells.
[X] Prismatic Spray Rays hit subjects with variety of effects.
[X] Mass Invisibility As invisibility, but affects all in range- 1,080 feet!
[X] Delayed Blast Fireball 1d6/level fire damage; you can postpone blast for 5 rounds. Ed. Note: TWICE as powerful as normal Fireball!
>> No. 131184
>>131176
Consistency or not, everything I said is still valid. Having her mispronounce words every time she opens her mouth is just as irritating as when she kicks us around every time we so much as decide to go to the bathroom without her leave.

[x] Greater Prying Eyes
[x] Mind Blank

[x] Control Weather
[x] Project Image
[x] Statue
>> No. 131185
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

8th:
[X] Mind Blank
[X] Polymorph Any Object

7th:
[X] Control Weather Changes weather in local area.
[X] Limited Wish
[X] Project Image
>> No. 131186
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast
8th Level:
[X] Protection From Spells
[X] Greater Prying Eyes

7th Level:
[X] Limited Wish
[X] Control Weather
[X] Project Image
>> No. 131187
As afraid I am of Flandre, I can't see the Wizard backpedaling from threatening to shove a dragon up her ass. So, commence hostilities.

[x] Answer her question. It’s best to remove ourselves from the “toy” category right now. Permanently.

Now, out of hand, sunburst is pretty obvious if you're going to fight vampires. But wait! Why cast sunburst if you can have your minions do it for you, over and over again?

[x] Greater Planar Binding

I'd like to give Flandre some more playmates, and the Sunfly Swarm from BoED is one of the few outsider-type swarms. 18 HD worth is two separate swarms of 1,000 tiny, iridescent dragonflies. Unlike actual insects they have a basal intelligence. They always detect evil and attack it, so we won't have to negotiate to get them to play with her. They're not inherently destructive; if they choose, they can bestow protection from evil by way of their sundance (Su) ability, in lieu of dealing damage. This makes them much more controllable than swarms normally are, as otherwise we would need to dismiss them or order them away from the area to stop doing damage.

The most important property here is that swarms are immune to disintegrate and disintegrate-like effects (i.e., Flandre's ability). Additionally, they'd take no damage from her weapon strikes, though Laevanteinn's flaming characteristic will have some effect.

Each of the swarms can cast sunburst (Sp) 3/day just by themselves, which they are immune to, along with all light-descriptor effects. In addition to the blinding from all those sunbursts, each turn they automatically dazzle whoever is in their square (no save) and additionally nauseate (Fort negates). They don't do much actual damage (2d6 per round), which is a good thing--the combination of Flan's DR and fast healing should mean she's not in any serious risk.

[x] Mind Blank

It works against h4x Touhou abilities as well as spells. Hell, we should have cast this yesterday.

[x] Limited Wish

Incredibly versatile. Cast most of the spells we haven't memorized. Automatic succeeds or failures on skill checks or attacks. Gives us access to valuable Cleric-only spells. (e.g., spell resistance, raise dead, the cure series). With Foresight active, we'll never find ourselves in a situation that we can't Wish ourselves out of.

[x] Control Weather

It's going to be cold. It's going to be gray. And it's going to last you the rest of your life.

Make it snow and build a fort with Cirno! Make it foggy so Remilia doesn't need a parasol! Make it rain to scare Flandre back into her hovel!

[x] Delayed Blast Fireball

If you use energy substitution metamagic with sonic or acid, you'll do way more damage than greater shout, enough to destroy most weapons, armor, and other objects, and destroy stone masonry 1' thick in a 20' radius, threatening imminent collapse for most structures. They only better way of bringing down the house is to find a Bard with sympathetic vibrations.
>> No. 131188
File 129154863055.jpg - (107.93KB , 2500x1500 , remilia yukkuri peek_1.jpg ) [iqdb]
131188
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

Level 8 spells:
[X] Protection From Spells
[X] Sunburst

Level 7 spells:
[X] Mass Invisibility
[X] Delayed Blast Fireball
[X] Control Weather

>>131184

I feel you are exaggerating and your
>At first, when it popped up uncommonly, and only for humorous affront, it was funny and charming.
comment demonstrates that nostalgia is clouding your vision. I think you should just take it easy
>> No. 131190
[x] Answer her question. It’s best to remove ourselves from the “toy” category right now. Permanently.
I can see it already. This is gonna hurt in the morning...wait-


[x] Sunburst Blinds
[x] Mass Charm Monster
>youkai
wow

[x] Mass Invisibility
[x] Delayed Blast Fireball
[x] Project Image
>> No. 131191
>>131176
Fuck that reminds me.
I never did read the first thread
>> No. 131193
>>131184

What's wrong with the coffee part? And what do you have against consistency? Did you want Cirno to magically learn how to pronounce words correctly?
>> No. 131195
[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
-[X] "Try the bagels, they're pretty good!"
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

8th Level:
[x] Telekinetic Sphere
[x] Mindblank

7th Level:
[x] Prismatic Spray
[x] Limited Wish
[x] Mass Invisibility

Lots to vote on here. Hopefully we can solve our current situation with bagels and not have to use some of our more powerful spells so early in the morning.
>> No. 131196
[x] >>131187

This seems like a whole parade of good ideas. Can anyone really give me a good reason why they might suck?
>> No. 131197
[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

Lets not start a fight with Flan...please? As for spells:

SIXTH LEVEL:

[X] Mind Blank.
Mind Blank an excellent utility spell with numerous uses even while we're trapped in this demiplane.

[X] Scintillating Pattern
I chose this one over Telekenetic Sphere because Sctinillating Pattern is not only an area spell but also has no save. It doesn't matter who we're fighting, Pattern will give us at least 1d4 rounds of chaos against even the most powerful foes on demand.

SEVENTH LEVEL:
[X] Limited Wish
Excellent utility spell. Not one to cast at every opportunity be an ace in the hole for even the most complicated situation.

[X] Project Image
A useful trick for the cunning wizard. Meet people in safety, engage in Danmaku battles with no danger to yourself, etc. Perhaps best paired with some form of invisibility of preparation.

[X] Mass Invisibility
Obvious uses. Probably better than any attack spell we have due to its utility. Can also be used to obviously ambush enemies and make all our other spells count that little bit more if we have the element of surprise.
>> No. 131198
>>131170
>>131184
Cirno doesn't know any real swear words, so all she can do for more impact is use bigger words. She's pretty angry. Also, we've been fighting with each other like siblings almost since we met. She's used to bossing people around and we don't exactly command the same respect as, say, Keine.

I agree that yelling at Flan is kind of dumb, after noticing that even Sakuya is afraid of her and having no idea why. He's probably not expecting her Touhou power to be THAT bullshit hax, though.
>> No. 131199
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.
Level 8 spells:
[X] Greater Planar binding Summon an improved version of our partner (will it be the same being?)
[X] Sunburst (Good vs Vampires (uh) and to blind people.
Level 7 spells:
[X] Limited wish. (Cleric spells, Good for contingecy, to remove Insanity from Flandre.
[X] Delayed Blast Fireball Powerful and versatile attack.
[X] Control Weather To provide appropiate cover for sneaking missions, to remove annoying weather when walking or to let Remilia go out as a way to exchange favors.

>>131187
Goddamn, that monsters look so appropriate that they seem home brew (but they are in the book of exalted deeds, aren't they?)
>> No. 131200
>>131187
>The most important property here is that swarms are immune to disintegrate and disintegrate-like effects(i.e., Flandre's ability). Additionally, they'd take no damage from her weapon strikes, though Laevanteinn's flaming characteristic will have some effect.

But he doesn't actually know about all that, does he?
>> No. 131201
[x] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

spell list:
8th Level: (VOTE FOR TWO)

[x] Mind Blank Subject is immune to mental/emotional magic and scrying.
[x] Protection From Spells Confers +8 resistance bonus on saving throws versus magic. Ed. Note: Costly, but can benefit allies. See description.


7th Level: (VOTE FOR THREE)
[x] Prismatic Spray Rays hit subjects with variety of effects.
[x] Limited Wish Alters reality—within spell limits.
[x] Delayed Blast Fireball 1d6/level fire damage; you can postpone blast for 5 rounds. Ed. Note: TWICE as powerful as normal Fireball!
>> No. 131202
[x]Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

For spells: Mind Blank and Telekinetic Phere for 8th and Prismatic Spray, Limited Wish and whatever you fancy for 7th.

I'd be very careful with stuff like Mass Charm Monster. Many of the more powerful youkai will quite likely have pretty fucking high saves and are unlikely to react well to stunts like that.

>>131196
Depending on how Flandre is interpreted, she could pretty much instagib the swarm by exploding the air around it. (Or just throw some damnaku at it. Some of those projectiles are bigger than her, can't see that going through the swarm without leaving quite a mark.)

Well, and going by the precedents, fucking with the weather in Gensokyo has quite the chance of an angry shrine maiden coming down on you like a ton of bricks.
>> No. 131203
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

8th Level: (VOTE FOR TWO)
[X] Sunburst
[X] Greater Shout

7th Level: (VOTE FOR THREE)
[X] Limited Wish
[X] Prismatic Spray
[X] Control Weather
>> No. 131204
[x] >>131187
I approve this logic. While the Wizard doesn't know about the specifics of Flandre and Remilia's abilities, he should be able to conceptualize that he can be taken down and that if he is, Keine and Cirno could be in dire straights without his Anti-Vampire arsenal. What better way to ensure maximum effectiveness that a few swarms of Sunflies that can cast Sunburst and Protection from Evil as they wish? Hell, most Outsiders that can be summoned by Greater Planar Binding would at least be able to slow down most Touhous a fair amount of time.

Similarily, all other spells proposed gain us an optimum amount of advantages against our possible foes; by countering mind effects and reality alterations against us with Mind Blank, by controlling the battlefield and the environment with Weather Control or by altering reality itself with Limited Wish, we can radically alter battlefield conditions against our foes.

That we can effectively conduct Battlefield Demolitions or Dynamic Entries with Delayed Blast Fireball is just the cherry on the sundae.

Remember people, we must be the Goddamned Batman.
>> No. 131205
>>131204
Yeah, let's just unleash all our power and attack the sister of the head of the household. That'll resolve the situation nicely without Cirno and/or Keine taking collateral damage.
>> No. 131206
>>131205
For the spells. I approve the logic for the spell selection.

For how to react, I'd vote :
[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
-[X] "Try the bagels, they're pretty good!"
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

I'm sorry that it slipped my mind during my previous post.
>> No. 131209
Spell selection as per >>131187 . Great logic for all of them. As I don't own the BoED, though, I have to ask; do the sunflies auto-attack Evil creatures? Because considering GPB's cast-time, we'll need to have it following us around, and that might be... messy.

[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
-[X] "Try the bagels, they're pretty good!"
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast
>> No. 131211
[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

8th Level: (VOTE FOR TWO)

[X] Greater Planar Binding As lesser planar binding, but up to 18 HD.
[X] Telekinetic Sphere Mobile Force globe protects but traps one subject.


7th Level: (VOTE FOR THREE)

[X] Prismatic Spray Rays hit subjects with variety of effects.
[X] Mass Invisibility As invisibility, but affects all in range- 1,080 feet!
[X] Delayed Blast Fireball 1d6/level fire damage; you can postpone blast for 5 rounds. Ed. Note: TWICE as powerful as normal Fireball!
>> No. 131213
>>131202
What he said, minus the votes.

Swarms aren't all that effective agianst people that can spam ridiculous amounts of man-sized projectiles at a whim.

Also, MC doesn't know about Flandre, so him picking stuff specifically tailored to her would be quite a bit more meta-gamey than I'd like.

And, of course, there's the question wether you could even classify her as evil on the alignment scale. Depending on what interpretion of her Demetrious runs, she could just be a stubborn (mental) 12-year-old who can't quite grasp their own strenght, which would imo be more along the lines of Chaotic Neutral.
>> No. 131215
[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

[ ] Telekinetic Sphere - Mobile Force globe protects but traps one subject.
[ ] Horrid Wilting - Evaporates moisture from the body of living creatures; 1d6/level damage within 30 ft.

[ ] Prismatic Spray - Rays hit subjects with variety of effects.
[ ] Project Image - Illusory double can talk and cast spells.
[ ] Mass Invisibility - As invisibility, but affects all in range: 1,080 feet!

Flandre's playing with a blond girl? Did we just save Rumia?
>> No. 131221
>[ ] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it
This seems like it would do nothing but piss Flandre off.

[x] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

NOW AS FOR SPELLS

[x] Whatever wins.

I'm helpful.
>> No. 131222
[┼] Answer her question. It’s best to remove ourselves from the “toy” category right now. Permanently.

8th Level:
[┼] Greater Planar Binding
[┼] Mind Blank

7th Level:
[┼] Limited Wish
[┼] Control Weather
[┼] Delayed Blast Fireball

>No coffee?
Just Minor/Major Creation some up.
>> No. 131224
[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
-[X] "Try the bagels, they're pretty good!"
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast

[X] Polymorph Any Object
[X] Mind Blank Subject is immune to mental/emotional magic and scrying.

[X] Limited Wish Alters reality—within spell limits.
[X] Project Image Illusory double can talk and cast spells.
[X] Mass Invisibility As invisibility, but affects all in range- 1,080 feet!

The lack of Hold or Symbol of "x" spells is depressing. Everyone has been seduced by Evocation spells, which are the most useless of all wizard spells.
>> No. 131226
[x] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.
[x] Scintillating Pattern
Confusing your opposition can be very useful. Just think of how effective Reisen is for example.
[x] Greater Shout
Fits well with the image of a mighty wizard, and it seems to be useful in more ways than one.

[x] Delayed Blast Fireball
Ahh this one. If timed and used well, it can have devastating effect. Definitively a main pick.
[x] Control Weather
A small reminder here that weather is more important in Gensokyo than outside of it, considering it's the source of power for some, as well as being an important factor for various characters. (I doubt someone like Mystia would go out and sing songs while hail is falling around for example.)
[x] Limited Wish
While I'm not sure as to what the limits are, being able to alter reality can have a variety of uses, especially if we can't do something with what spells we have. Being versatile is important when there isn't a dragon or similiar powerful being at your service to defend you from anyone who wants to stab you.
>> No. 131231
[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
-[X] "Try the bagels, they're pretty good!"
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.
>> No. 131232
[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

[x] Mass Charm Monster
[x] Mind Blank

[x] Delayed Blast Fireball
[x] Project Image
[x] Limited Wish
>> No. 131233
[X] Make breakfast, not war.

I don't think fighting an angry Flandre is a good idea, especially if he is the one who pissed her off.


I'm wondering why he's so damn aggressive, though. It feels like this whole fight came out of nowhere.
The votes were pretty much "go see what's happening" and "ignore it, eat breakfast". I don't see how that turned into "kick the ass of whoever is making that noise".

Besides, who is this blonde girl that Flandre wants to "play" with?
To me, it seems like there is something about her (or at least the way Flandre is chasing her) that makes Wizardnon want to save her.
He's prepared to fight with the sister of his hostess, who has been a relatively good host so far, over someone he doesn't seem to know.
That just doesn't quite seem like his style. I mean, I don't think he'd just leave someone who needs help, but he might be sacrificing all his long (and short) term progress just like that. All to help someone he apparently never saw before today.
Well, it all just seems like the Lawful Stupid Paladin style, and that's definitely not his kind of stupidity.
He came here to check out the library and Remilia even told Patchouli to give him a tour. Now he's pretty much about to throw that away, possibly along with his life, and for what?
Sure, he might now know about her powers, but he knows that she is a vampire and he heard the explosions. Even ZUUL! knows that exploding hurts.

tl:dr
Why is wizardnon picking a fight with Flandre, which could lead to him getting killed or at least losing his library tour, over a woman that we don't even know who it is (yet)?


8th:
[x] Greater Prying Eyes
Very useful for non-combat purposes.

[x] Polymorph Any Object
The uses are almost endless. Easily one of the better spells to have in almost any situation.

7th:
[x] Mass Invisibility
If the shit really hits the fan, just hide everyone and get the fuck out of dodge.

[x] Limited Wish
While I personally dislike the Wish spells, I can't deny that they are very useful.

[x] Delayed Blast Fireball
It just felt like his style.
>> No. 131234
[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
-[X] "Try the bagels, they're pretty good!"
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.
>> No. 131235
[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
-[X] "Try the bagels, they're pretty good!"
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.


8th Level:
[X] Mind Blank
[X] Greater Shout

7th Level:
[X] Limited Wish
[X] Delayed Blast Fireball
[X] Control Weather
>> No. 131238
Oops. Missed Polymorph Any Object. >>131212 deleted.

[x] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.

If we don't still have it prepared:
[x] Mind Blank Subject is immune to mental/emotional magic and scrying.
If we still have Mind Blank:
[x] Greater Planar Binding

[x] Polymorph Any Object
[x] Limited Wish
[x] Delayed Blast Fireball
[x] Prismatic Spray
>> No. 131239
If he doesn't have polymorph any object... how did he do the bed trick?
>> No. 131247
>>131233

He's made a lot more progress investigating the Society then he has the SDM, honestly. Keeping in mind the end-goal is finding who sent the ZOMBAI GOASTS after them.
>> No. 131251
>>131247
He has barely been in Gensokyo a few days.
I don't think he's already lost track of his original goal, i.e. "figure out how to get the fuck out of here and go home". The ghosts are just something that happened to show up on the way towards that goal.
His best chance for achieving that goal is currently the SDM library. Which is why I find it so strange that he should pick a fight with Flandre just because.
>> No. 131254
>>131251
Because he has ADHD. You know, just like every other adventurer that live for more than three levels. Comes with the territory.
>> No. 131259
File 129161174298.jpg - (64.51KB , 750x600 , 2334302569_a3c51516ac_o.jpg ) [iqdb]
131259
[X] "I said[i], breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.

Seriously this is the best line in the history of ever.

As for spell selection, for all the reasons listed in >>131187:
[X] [i]greater planar binding

[X] mind blank

Good call, especially on the greater planar binding and the iridescent dragonflies. On the other hand, I have no idea what you're thinking for the 7th-levels. Delayed blast fireball? Really? What are we trying to kill?

I do like control weather but it takes ten minutes to cast and another ten minutes to take effect. Things just happen too damn fast around here.

Instead I'd say:
[X] limited wish
[X] limited wish, again (it's just that useful)

... aaand I'm tempted to say, just for shits and giggles,
>[ ] mass invisibility, to be cast on absolutely everybody in range... when no one can see you and you can blame it on something else.

but I won't because we get shits and giggles enough. Seriously. Of the options listed, I guess
[X] project image
although honestly I'd like to have vision.
>> No. 131266
>>131259
>I do like control weather but it takes ten minutes to cast and another ten minutes to take effect. Things just happen too damn fast around here.

For showboating purposes the lower level mirage arcana or hallucinatory terrain is going to be much more suitable. That's your raining of blood and sulfur and brimstone and thunder cracking malevolently in the background.

However, control weather lasts 1 or 2 days and requires no concentration (really, like mind blank, cast as you wake should be standard operating procedure). The purpose is more to allow you--and others around you--to have an exceptionally pleasant afternoon.

And if necessary the effects can be combined, whether to trick a vampire into the rain and direct sunlight of a sunshower, or to make that sun-blocking fog appear as a more comfortable 'scarlet mist'.

Importantly, what season is it in Gensokyo right now?
>> No. 131268
File 129162121786.png - (50.45KB , 627x620 , Sakuya what2.png ) [iqdb]
131268
>>131209
>As I don't own the BoED, though, I have to ask; do the sunflies auto-attack Evil creatures? Because considering GPB's cast-time, we'll need to have it following us around, and that might be... messy.

They're Good subtype, and detect evil at will, but are true neutral in alignment. Flavor just says they work for good deities individually and attack evil creatures when they swarm. Opposed CHA check for control is moderate (DC 10-incentive), but Will is low (+8) so a charm monster would be all that's needed to push it one way or the other toward most anyone or anything for the duration of the summon. Unlike a lot of higher HD Outsiders, they have no innate mode of plane travel, so they're pretty much dependent on the caster to dismiss them, even if they do break the trap.

>>131202
>Depending on how Flandre is interpreted, she could pretty much instagib the swarm by exploding the air around it. (Or just throw some damnaku at it. Some of those projectiles are bigger than her, can't see that going through the swarm without leaving quite a mark.)

>>131213
>Swarms aren't all that effective agianst people that can spam ridiculous amounts of man-sized projectiles at a whim.

I'm getting "Wriggle Nightbug vs. SDM" vibes now. That's not a bad thing. Flandre might have a lot of fun popping a few Extra stages worth of giant glowing dragonflies.

>>131233
>That just doesn't quite seem like his style. I mean, I don't think he'd just leave someone who needs help, but he might be sacrificing all his long (and short) term progress just like that. All to help someone he apparently never saw before today.

He's grandstanding. He's playing to a crowd by asserting his power over the most dangerous member of the household. 'Saving' this unknown blonde is just pretext. This isn't some radical act of altruism by the guidance of a detect evil spell and the blessing of Pelor; it's and impulsively, and characteristically, selfish action toward a creature he does not like or sympathize with.

>Well, it all just seems like the Lawful Stupid Paladin style, and that's definitely not his kind of stupidity.

Stupid. Probably.

Chaotic Stupid? Possibly.

Lawful Stupid? See pic.
>> No. 131274
>Lawful stupid
8/10 Almost got me there.

Updates?
>> No. 131300
[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
-[X] "Try the bagels, they're pretty good!"
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.
>> No. 131349
Just so you can see how Anon's preferences worked out:

8th Level:

[xxxxxxxxxx] Greater Planar Binding
[xxx] Scintillating Pattern
[ ] Trap the Soul
[xxxxxx] Sunburst
[xxx] Greater Prying Eyes
[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Mind Blank
[xxx] Greater Shout
[xxxxxxxx] Telekinetic Sphere
[x] Horrid Wilting
[xxx] Protection From Spells
[xxx] Mass Charm Monster
[xxxx] Polymorph Any Object

7th Level:

[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Control Weather
[xxxxxxxxx] Prismatic Spray
[x] Statue
[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Limited Wish
[xxxxxxxxxx] Project Image
[xxxxxxxxxxxx] Mass Invisibility
[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Delayed Blast Fireball

Obviously, winners are Greater Planar Binding, Mind Blank, Limited Wish, Control Weather, and Delayed Blast Fireball.

Updates are on-schedule, I'm just slogging through Finals week, which includes a feature story on pipe smoking that has both my professor and a local news editor baying for my ass on a platter. FUN TIMES.

>>131170

Translation:

>HEY FAGGOT DEVELOP CIRNO'S CHARACTER MORE

Sure.
>> No. 131354
>Control Weather
We're going to cause an Incident, aren't we?
>> No. 131355
>>131354

"Going to"? We killed a dragon in the middle of Gensokyo.
>> No. 131357
>>131355
Well, yes, but Reimu hasn't set off on a danmaku-firing rampage on anyone unlucky enough to get in her way yet.
>> No. 131358
>>131354
Too bad the usefulness of it is a bit blunted by Patchy being able to control weather too.
>> No. 131359
>>131349
Dear gods man can i read that paper after you've written it, I love seeing people foam at the mouth over issues.
>> No. 131360
>>131357
YET.
>> No. 131361
>>131349
I really wanted polymorph any object and prismatic spray, but I guess this will have to do then.
>> No. 131372
... oh god, imagine the Wizard's reaction to Reimu Ability to 'float/fly away from reality'.
>> No. 131376
what happened to antimagic field? Or is that a forbidden school?
>> No. 131377
>>131372
I'm just wondering how long it will be until he has a conniption fit and/or falls into a full-on frothing rage.

Not that it wouldn't be warranted.
>> No. 131382
>>131377
Imagine his reaction to anyone telling him about Yukari. Half of Gensokyo is gonna be able to hear him scream bullshit. :3
>> No. 131383
>>131382
Yukari will be the reason the Wizard say "ENOUGH!" and pull out a Wish spell to force Gensokyo to make more sense. Just you wait, at that point he'll consider the XP and lifespan loss to be a fair price to reduce the bullshit.
>> No. 131386
>>131382

>:3

...
>> No. 131387
>>131383
Wish no longer has the penalty to your life span that it had in 2nd Edition.
>> No. 131388
>>131382
By now the wizard should have worked out this is the Elemental Plane of At-Will abilities (Ex, Spells and Su). Once he gets that nothing should really phase him any more.
>> No. 131391
>>131383
Wish in 3.0 and 3.5 doesn't drop your lifespan, it just drains 5000 experience points, which is less than the gain from a typical encounter for a character of his level.
>> No. 131399
>>131391
difference between lvl 17 and 18 is 17000 xp. DMG mentions as a guide that there should be roughly 13 encounters per level-up.

5000 xp is roughly four life-and death struggles.
>> No. 131400
File 129179028290.jpg - (182.82KB , 850x873 , some fairies just want to watch the world burn.jpg ) [iqdb]
131400
>>131349
>Sure.
Yay, more Cirno!

I think we should start training our minion apprentice ASAP. We should teach her Burning Hands first. And then we can work our way up to Fireball. E-he-he-he-he.
>> No. 131402
>>131400
Somehow I doubt she'll like a spell that sets her on fire, even if it wont hurt her.

We should show her Polar Ray. Ice LASERS? She'll trip out.
>> No. 131405
>>131402
We'll make her like it.

Seriously though, I seem to recall in an earlier thread she seemed interested in our utility spells. If we could even just teach her prestidigitation she'd be the coolest fairy around.
>> No. 131421
>>131400
>>131402
>>131405
Three words. Energy Substitution (Cold).

Then all her spells can deal cold damage instead of whatever they normally do.
>> No. 131431
>>131421
Cold-elemental Magic Missile? Even better!
>> No. 131436
Where are my words?
I want my words.

A wall will do as well.
>> No. 131481
While Cirno bad in danmaku combat... she is Yet Another Hax Person. Cirno just need to learn control, tactics, possibly strategy... she don't need more spells or power really. I don't know about temperature of less than absolute zero, but if she could spam 0K attacks... she would be scary as hell. I wonder what would happen if Cirno was trained by Eva from Negima...
>> No. 131487
>>131481
>I don't know about temperature
Clearly. Absolute zero (0 degrees Kelvin) means that molecules aren't moving, i.e. they have zero energy. The concept of a temperature less than absolute zero makes no sense. Really, "0K attacks" doesn't make much sense, eith--

>Yet Another Hax Person
>she don't need
>Negima
Oh, you're an idiot. Carry on, then.
>> No. 131488
>>131481
Its that that she needs to learn spells its that she wants to learn them.
>> No. 131489
>>131488
>>131481

Protip: Read what you write out loud before clicking on that reply box. This isn't fanfiction.net, just a fanfiction site.

Sage for off topic post. This is what happens when there are no updates.
>> No. 131490
>>131489
For fuck's sake. Shit will happen regardless of updates. Updates aren't magical cure-alls for what ails you or anybody else.
>> No. 131496
Obviously, with temperatures under absolute zero, the molecules are unmoving. Like how those dark lightbulbs make unlight, and how McDonald's sells unfood.
>> No. 131497
>>131496
You are obviously wrong. When temparatures fall below absolute zero, the molecules start moving in the other direction.

Actually, that's not as dumb as it sounds. We never tried it before so we can't really know what happens.
Maybe not in the other direction but something else certainly can happen.

>> No. 131498
>>131497
Jesus Christ you are retarded. Temperature is the measurement of the average kinetic energy of the atoms that make up what ever it is you are measuring. 0K means that that those atoms have no KE. you can't have negative KE, any more than you can have negative mass. its a impossibility.
>> No. 131504
>>131498
Tell that to [Ice Sign] Negative K
>> No. 131515
>>131497
Read about Bose-Einstein condensates. Fun and weird things happen to matter, and it hasn't even reached 0 K yet. I'm not a physics major, so I'm unqualified to elaborate.

Also, >>131498 was correct with regards to kinetic energy and mass always being positive, at least on the macroscopic scale. Anyone who's taken a basic physics or thermodynamics class will know that.
>> No. 131517
>>131504
More like
>Tell that to ⑨

The name of that Ice Sign is obviously just that Cirno heard that 0K is really fucking cold, and thought people would think she was really powerful if she could make it even colder than that.
>> No. 131532
File 129195230446.jpg - (696.94KB , 1082x758 , 222c9efcb380920e958bd81cf6901658.jpg ) [iqdb]
131532
>>131496
You are funny.
>>131497
You are not funny. And in fact that is exactly as dumb as it sounds.

>>131498
>>131515
And you two know just enough to get you into a heap of trouble:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature#Second_law_of_thermodynamics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature

And oh, yeah, they haven't quite ruled out negative mass either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_mass
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_interaction_of_antimatter

Please take further thoroughly-off-topic foolishness in this vein to 4chan/sci/ or Gaia Online or whatever.

(And don't even fucking start with the Vonnegut references.)

Sage for rampant fucking idiocy, myself not excluded. Pic related.
>> No. 131550
>>131532
I'll point out that in the Great Wheel cosmology used prior to 4e, the Material Plane doesn't actually follow the Laws of Thermodynamics; there actually are seperate "hot" and "cold" energies derived from their respective planes (the Elemental Plane of Fire and the Paraelemental Plane of Ice, respectively) filtering through along with other elemental energies to form the substance of the Material Plane.

Spells that deal Cold damage don't decrease the Heat Energy of the target, they increase the Cold Energy of the target. Temperature is probably the result of the balance between those forces; Wizanon would likely be aware of this and mightily confused by the Laws of Thermodynamics.
>> No. 131551
>>131532
Since you're talking about this kind of phenomenon, might as well add this to your list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_resistance
Physicists and physics just loves to fuck with your expectations, don't they?
>> No. 131569
>>131532
>>131497 here
I'm fine with not being funny since it was not meant to be funny. Funny thing is, it may seem funny to someone else.

You and your science. Do you know how many times it has been, that science said something to be completely and irrefutably right, but then turned out to be complete nonsense? It may sound stupid to you but know, that nothing is impossible yet. This should always be taken into consideration, especially with topics that can't really be physically "proven" by science.
Science is built on subjective reasoning anyway...

Who started this crappy topic. My eyes are bleeding
>> No. 131571
>>131569
Science is never irrefutable; that's the point of the whole process.
>> No. 131572
>>131571
Indeed. The very point of the scientific method is to find theories that fit the facts best, or in other words those theories that are the least wrong.

For instance, we know that General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics are wrong because they don't fit together, despite explaining the same universe at different levels (macroscopic vs microscopic), but we still use them because they work at said levels. Meanwhile, we're still looking for the Grand Unified Theory that links General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics together.
>> No. 131577
>>131571
What I was trying to say is not that science is irrefutable, but rather that it has been claimed in the past, that it is.
Eh. Doesn't matter anyway.
>> No. 131585
>>131577
So? You can make any hypothesis you like, even ones contrary to current knowledge. Still, being able to do this says nothing about the way the universe works. Unless you want to back your hypothesis up with evidence, stating it or telling other people that it might, possibly, be true, while current knowledge might be false seems quite pointless.
>> No. 131588
>>131550
So, basically, the classical Greek elements (or, in Gensokyo, probably the godai)? Do atoms even exist under 3.5e rules, then?

>>131569
You, my friend, need some Feynman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLaRXYai19A

Also, $10 says you're devout. Only religious apologists ever use the "well, science isn't perfect, so there" argument and expect to be taken seriously.
>> No. 131589
oh boy

PONTIFICATING
>> No. 131590
>>131588
Sort of. The Inner Planes are made up of the four Elemental planes, the two Energy Planes (Negative being entropy/undeath and Positive being anti-entropy/life energy), the four Para-elemental Planes (composed of the combination of two "neighboring" Elemental Planes), and the eight Pseudo-elemental Planes (composed of the mixing between one of the Elemental Planes and one of the Energy Planes). Their energies then filter through the Ethereal Plane to form the substance of the assorted Material Planes, one of which Wizanon is presumably from.
>> No. 131591
>>131588
Nope. The only thing I'm devout to is a meal a day and confusing the living fuck out of people I meet.

Feynman, wise man. Good man. I guess science is not my thing then.

>>131585
I don't need to back them up because I don't need you or anyone else to believe them. Nobody will listen anyway so why bother? (yes I am quite aware just how and why this statement is wrong)
To tell you the truth, I don't believe in them either, I only make them up.

Sage for are we done here yet?
>> No. 131592
>>131591
> I don't need to back them up because I don't need you or anyone else to believe them. Nobody will listen anyway so why bother? (yes I am quite aware just how and why this statement is wrong) To tell you the truth, I don't believe in them either, I only make them up.
In that case, do everyone a favour and don't bother even posting that stuff. On that note, also don't post stupid pseudo-philosophical arguments about how "nothing is impossible yet". Thanks.
>> No. 131593
Why are you guys discussing physics in a story about magic?
>> No. 131595
>>131593
Because somebody on the internet was WRONG about something.
>> No. 131598
Guys, let's stop arguing before this becomes the 1 update thread, mkay?

Someone may have been wrong on the Internet, but he/they have been schooled (quite literally).
>> No. 131601
>literally.

AND SPEAKING OF WRONG ON THE INTERNET
>> No. 131617
>>131601
You do know that's the right spelling and use, correct?
>> No. 131618
>>131617
He was probably thinking that 'to literally school' someone is to send them to an actual school, possibly because he didn't bother to check a dictionary before rageposting.

Also, sage.
>> No. 131634
So it's called "schooled" now is it... How boring. Think what you want but nobody here got "schooled".
>>131592
You're welcome.
>> No. 131651
>>131634
>Think what you want but nobody here got "schooled".
So ... you're still the same intensely and willfully ignorant moron as you were when this mess started?

Wow. We are all completely blown away by this stunning revelation.
>> No. 131654
You guys aren't discussing the story, you aren't even discussing the D&D background. Its time to stop posting.
>> No. 131658
So...

When is the update?
>> No. 131660
>>131658

As soon as Demetrious finishes his Physics course.
>> No. 131661
>>131651
Yup. Glad to hear it
>> No. 131739
File 129239909454.png - (764.92KB , 960x960 , 1279301460615.png ) [iqdb]
131739
[X] "I said breakfast is ready." Insist on this, even if everyone else denies it.
[X] Hooray, she’s paying attention~ Now if she’d just introduce all four of us to her new friend, we can all skedaddle on to breakfast.


The diminutive vampire abruptly ceases her pursuit. She turns slowly to look at you. “What did you say to me?” You’re not sure how much of the astonishment comes from actually being threatened, or trying to decipher the threat.

“I said breakfast is ready,” you say placidly, gesturing at the tray with your bagel.

“Bullshit,” Flandre mutters, hands balling into fists. Her face is even paler then usual, and her gathering fury is evident in her face. The little blonde behind her is frantically shaking her head and waving her hands at you in a No! gesture. It sounds like the girls behind you have forgotten how to breathe.

And you just chew your bagel and squint blankly at Flandre.

“...whatever.”

Flandre’s mouth falls open. You reach towards the tray, pour some tea, and use it to wash down the bagel. You start lifting up the silver domes on the round serving dishes, hunting for cream cheese to go on the next one.

“What?”

“What. Ever,” you repeat, filling the teacup again. “I’ve had enough of this ‘tense standoff’ bullshit, okay? Ever since I got here it’s been never-ending tense standoffs all the damn time. It’s gotten real old. I haven’t had breakfast yet, haven’t had caffeine yet. So piss or get off the pot, because I’m not playing that game till after noon, if at all.” Finding the cream cheese, you set to work applying it to another bagel.

“But...” Flandre sounds utterly deflated. You pay her no mind as you labor over your bagel. The diminutive vampire turns to the girls behind you. “Did he really say-”

“YES!” they chorus in empathetic union.

“Well... well don’t bother me when I’m playing, idiot!” Flan says with a little salvaged rage.

“Playing with who?” Sakuya asks pointedly, stepping to the side to get a good look past Flandre at the blonde. The girl draws herself up to her full height, trying to look like somebody who didn’t just get tackled to the ground by a pocket-sized vampire.

Suwako!? Sakuya exclaims with surprise. “What are – you never come down here!”

“So, I can still pay a visit,” Suwako says, highly irritated. “I stopped by to ask Miss Knowledge something, and on my way out of the library-” Suwako makes a short, violent gesture to indicate Flandre.

“You’re a trespasser. Remilia said I could-”

“I’m your neighbor, psychopath!” roars Suwako.

“EEEYAAA!” Flandre shrieks, her red eyes flaring with instant hate. Her little fist blurs through the air, impacting Suwako’s blocking palm with a sharp crack! that hurts your ears.

Never call me that, you bitch![/i]” Flandre roars at the top of her lungs, her entire body quivering with rage.

“And don’t forget who I am,” Suwako returns in a low voice, still gripping Flandre’s fist. Her voice carries an undertone of casual and complete confidence.

“Not anymore,” Flandre hisses. “Ancient history. What can you do with the dregs you call worshipers?”

“Would you like to find out?” Suwako whispers so coldly that a chill shoots up every spine in the room, yours included.

“ENOUGH!” Sakuya roars, slapping her hands together. Striding forward, she places a hand on the shoulders of both girls and gently pushes them apart. “Flandre,” she says, “your sister is expecting you.”

“She is?” Flandre asks doubtfully.

“She asked about you specifically.”

“Oh~! You should have told me!” Flandre exclaims with sudden delight. Pulling away from Sakuya, she fairly frolics down the hall, skipping and cavorting. She suddenly lunges into the air and loops playfully in the air before zooming down the hallway on-

“HRRACK!” you exclaim as you promptly choke on your bagel. Keine thumps you solidly on the back until you clear the delicious breadstuff.

“Wh-what the fuck was that?” you wheeze, gesturing at the retreating Flandre with your half-eaten bagel.

“What? Her wings?” Keine asks, puzzled.

“You – you’re telling me those goddamn strings of Yule Lanterns are friggin wings?”

“What’s so strange about that?” Cirno asks pointedly, fluttering her own crystalline wings pointedly.

“Uh... yours are pretty,” you improvise lamely.

“Whatever,” Cirno says quietly, her eyes sliding away from yours.

You bite your lip and drain another cup of tea. They really need bigger fucking teacups, you think bitterly, though there’s probably not enough caffeine in the whole dimension to make this morning any better.

“Sorry about that,” Suwako says, trying to brush out her mussed up hair with her hands. One red hair ribbon lays broken on the ground, so she tugs the other one loose as well. There’s a slight bruise on her jaw, and her blue dress is rumpled and singed, but she otherwise looks fine. “Thanks, all of you.”

“Of course,” Sakuya says. “Why did you slip in through the basement, though?”

“Oh, don’t you start-”

“I don’t mind,” Sakuya says gently. “But Flandre is exactly why it’s better to come in by the front gate.”

“I see,” Suwako says thoughtfully. “But I’m being rude. I was hoping to meet you.” She tilts her head in your direction. “Sanae told me about you. Said you were a bit rough around the edges, but an okay sort.” She cocks her head and smiles cutely as she looks up at you. “She was right, you are good looking.”

You stare at the short blonde with a haggard expression as your brain combines the Suwako you saw a minute ago, the one talking to you now, and something Keine said to you a few days ago.

“.... are you a god?” you ask cautiously.

Her mouth twitches into a sardonic smirk. “Are you a wizard?”

“I’m a quantum recalibration engineer,” you answer.

“I’m a devotion-management executive,” Suwako returns cheerfully, extending her hand to you. “Suwako Moria, Goddess.”

You shake her small hand politely, and give her your name. “I also go by Zuul in some circles.” Sakuya’s mouth twitches at that, but her expression remains neutral.

Suwako giggles. “Well, after all that ruckus, Remilia will come looking for us if we don’t go to her. I wouldn’t want to delay your breakfast...”

“Come join us,” Sakuya says. “I made more then enough for another guest, and we hardly ever see you.”

“Don’t mind if I do!” Suwako says happily. “Say, how did you get that tray to do that?”

“Oh, just a simple spell,” you say casually. “Invisible Servant. It’s like a maid, except completely invisible, totally silent, and a few degrees warmer.” Sakuya tosses a glare sharper then any knife your way, but refrains from comment.

“This way, everyone,” she says, her voice a little strained.


---------------------

Fucking exams are done. Daily updates resume tomorrow.
>> No. 131740
Yeeeeeees!
>> No. 131741
Haha, Suwako. Good show you tiny little bastard.
>> No. 131743
Best news I've heard all day, and I like your Suwako a lot already.
>> No. 131746
>“Are you a wizard?”
>“I’m a quantum recalibration engineer,” you answer.
>“I’m a devotion-management executive,” Suwako returns cheerfully
Brilliant.
Good to have you updating again.
>> No. 131747
Snrk. Your Suwako is awesome.
>> No. 131749
>Suwako Moria

It's Moriya, isn't?

But anyways, great update as usual. I missed you~
>> No. 131750
>“Wh-what the fuck was that?” you wheeze, gesturing at the retreating Flandre with your half-eaten bagel.

Mwuhahahaha... He yet knows NOTHING about her!
>> No. 131751
>>124226
>“FUCK! Does everyone in this lunatic abortion of a demiplane have some ludicrous bullshit power or something? YOU!” you shout, rounding on a surprised Cirno and thrusting an accusing digit. “What the hell do you do, breathe fireballs made out of unicorn giggles?”

Now... to think of it... it's 9 threads after that... and either he still didn't learn Cirno's variant of hax yet or I missed it...
>> No. 131752
>"Are you a Wizard?"
>"It’s like a maid, except completely invisible, totally silent, and a few degrees warmer"
Hahahha. Good to have you back.
>> No. 131755
This was an excellent surprise to stumble across before my exam this morning. Thank you.
>> No. 131764
Bueno.

>Daily updates resume tomorrow.
Praise be to...someone. I'll get the goat!
>> No. 131765
File 129243258556.jpg - (116.46KB , 850x922 , cirno ex.jpg ) [iqdb]
131765
>>131751

Well, he knows she's an ice fairy, and has seen her use her powers. At this point, the only way for him to be surprised on that count is either if he doesn't expect the scope/degree of her full power.

Or if Demetrious throws in some other surprise that takes us all off guard as well.
>> No. 131767
>>131764
At least we don't have to look far for a virgin sacrifice.
>> No. 131771
YES.

The wait was worth it.
>> No. 131775
>“Oh, just a simple spell,” you say casually. “Invisible Servant. It’s like a maid, except completely invisible, totally silent, and a few degrees warmer.” Sakuya tosses a glare sharper then any knife your way, but refrains from comment.

hahaha wow
>> No. 131778
>“But...” Flandre sounds utterly deflated. You pay her no mind as you labor over your bagel. The diminutive vampire turns to the girls behind you. “Did he really say-”
>“YES!” they chorus in empathetic union.

Bluff Check: Successful!

Those extra skill points from having a high INT are always helpful.
>> No. 131779
>“Whatever,” Cirno says quietly, her eyes sliding away from yours.

Cirno doesn't like having her wings complimented?
>> No. 131782
>>131779
>Cirno doesn't like having her wings complimented?

She's either pissed because she doesn't believe him, or she does and she's being coy. Either way, it's not your characteristic 'I'm the best' Cirno who'll eat up any kind of flattery.
>> No. 131787
File 129245451757.jpg - (58.37KB , 425x308 , 1266251136423.jpg ) [iqdb]
131787
So, any plans in using the new spells?

I was thinking in using Control weather to exchange favors with Remilia and Limited Wish to remove Flandre's Persistent Insanity
Unless, of course, Demetrious objects.
>> No. 131791
>>131787
Ah, the fun times of rewriting reality as you Wish. Let the bargaining of favours and knowledge begin.

Wonder what would Patchouli offer in exchange for a Limited Wish spell or just an Arcane Tome (tm).
>> No. 131794
>>131791
I dunno, what would she offer to be cured of her Super Magic AIDS? Or for Flandre to stop being so insane?

'Cause removing curses and healing people is one of the things Wishes are extra good at.
>> No. 131796
>>131787
Do we really want to upset the current power balance of Gensokyo any more than it already is with us just being in this pocket plane, by exchanging favors to enhance this particular group of locals? This likely won't beneficial to the other power players around here, and they will be sure to act if anything disrupts that precious balance.

Mutual deterrence through mutually assured destruction and all that.
>> No. 131798
The Insanity spell is basically a permanent confusion effect, and Flandre isn't nearly crazy enough to qualify as having that. Limited Wish's description says it removes magical insanity, with no mention of any other forms of insanity. Insanity-removal mends brains that are like shattered teacups - basically useless for their intended purpose: thinking. If she can still reason with a degree of regularity, that's not full-blown insanity, just natural craziness (or eccentricity if they're rich). Also, messing with Flandre's head? If I were Remilia, I would kill someone Dead with a capital D for that, regardless of the outcome. Just a thought.

So: probably no crazy-people curing, not even with a full Wish. Try some kind of Greater Planar Binding: Therapist for a better chance of success.
>> No. 131801
File 129246790521.jpg - (66.09KB , 575x690 , a4178d9a9597c3741d8f78824e694ceb.jpg ) [iqdb]
131801
>>131796
Considering our MC's reaction to everything so far, I'd say that he doesn't give a shit.
As for my personal opinion, well, I don't give a fuck either.

>>131798
That is a possibility, but I'd say that it's well within the possibilities of Limited Wish to heal a mind.
>> No. 131809
Limited Wish can duplicate any non-forbidden spell of 5th level or lower; as a non-specialist there are no forbidden spells.

That includes "Remove Disease," a Cleric 3, which literally "cures all diseases that the subject is suffering from." By DM adjudication, certain sufficiently magical diseases might be exceptions....

That might fix Patchoulli, and maybe Flandre. A full wish... if I was DM, I would feel comfortable interpreting that "Remove injuries and afflictions" bullet as saying that a wish would definitely be potent enough to cure.

Of course, there are still a few hurdles that come to mind.

1) How would this even come up,

2) Would they even believe Zuul,

3) It's not like he'd be inclined to even try. Maybe he'd bother to help Patchy, but prolly not Flan-flan.
>> No. 131812
>>131809
After he sees her library, he will definitely want to help Patchy.
>> No. 131817
>>131812
It'd probably impress her, too.
>> No. 131882
>That includes "Remove Disease," a Cleric 3, which literally "cures all diseases that the subject is suffering from." By DM adjudication, certain sufficiently magical diseases might be exceptions....

Would 'all diseases' include vampirism?
>> No. 131885
>>131882
I'm pretty sure that it only covers basic magical and non-magical diseases. Stuff like vampirism would requiere a miracle or an artifact.
>> No. 131888
Helm of opposite alignment+Remilia
>> No. 131889
>>131885
You think a full Wish would do it? If shit ever goes down with Remi we could just de-vampire her. That would be hilarious.
>> No. 131898
>>131882
>Would 'all diseases' include vampirism?

Vampirism - no, because there is nothing to cure, DnD Vampire is undead and DnD undead with rare exceptions are NOT previous owners of body, including sentient ones.

But IIRC it DO cure lycantropy on early stages if paired with Remove Curse.
>> No. 131905
>>131889
Or we could turn her into a lawn chair with polymorph any object. or a human child for that matter. no need to waste a famously temperamental spell when we have others that can preform the task just as well with no risk to ourselves.
>> No. 131907
>>131905
Well yeah, its not a practical option, but I still think it would be funny.

Speaking of which I wonder, if we weren't already adversaries, if Remilia might have asked us to help bind Flan's powers or something. Although this Flandre seems comparatively sane so far, so maybe its a non-issue in this story.
>> No. 131920
>>131779
I think it's that she's smart enough to recognize hasty backpedaling.
>> No. 131927
File 129265197111.jpg - (22.29KB , 527x486 , vampire-1.jpg ) [iqdb]
131927
>>131889
Yes. By the rules as written, wish can devampirize, with no need to invoke the "greater effects than these" clause, and therefore no potentially unpleasant side effects.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType
>Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm
>• Revive the dead. A wish can bring a dead creature back to life by duplicating a resurrection spell."
(Note that although resurrection is Clr 7 and could not ordinarily be duplicated by wish, it is explicitly and separately listed as permitted.)

However, wish still can't devampirize unwillingly:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resurrection.htm
> This spell functions like raise dead...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm
> ... the subject’s soul must be free and willing to return. If the subject’s soul is not willing to return, the spell does not work...

So even wish can only do it with the target's consent, if it's duplicating resurrection. One could still try, but then you really are getting into "greater effects than these" territory, with all the complications inherent thereto.

As >>131905 points out, polymorph any object could almost do the same, modulo a Fortitude save. It's of permanent duration rather than instantaneous, though, so it's subject to dispel magic or similar; I'm pretty sure Patchouli could revert it if so inclined.

... that said, if a benevolent GM were willing to make the call, aging might be treated as a form of damage, and therefore preserved on reversion of polymorph any object's effect -- it definitely goes against the spirit of the rules, but the letter leaves it open. In that case, Remilia or Flandre could grow up a little, then have Patchy dispel the polymorph effect a few years down the road.

>>131898
>DnD undead with rare exceptions are NOT previous owners of body, including sentient ones
I think you're thinking of Buffy. It's technically not specified in D&D, but the SRD and Monster Manual seem to imply otherwise:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm
>Vampires appear just as they did in life...
>Vampires speak any languages they knew in life.
>Vampires are always evil, which causes characters of certain classes to lose some class abilities.
(Emphasis mine.)
>... if a character has a familiar other than a rat or bat, the link between them is broken, and the familiar shuns its former companion.
(That last implies that the familiar-bond remains in place for bats and rats -- weak evidence, but evidence nonetheless.)
>> No. 131932
File 129265743936.jpg - (423.43KB , 1024x768 , i can think of four reasons.jpg ) [iqdb]
131932
>>131927
>In that case, Remilia or Flandre could grow up a little, then have Patchy dispel the polymorph effect a few years down the road.

Now why would you want to do that?
>> No. 131935
>>131932
In before complaints about how breasts (or for that matter, any kind of physical development beyond a childlike form) are terrible things and how dare you de-lolify them and so on.

And in before a GH-like shitstorm (after the above) about what does and doesn't qualify as loli.
>> No. 131938
>>131927
Unconscious and sleeping creatures automatically count as consenting. We just need to blast/SoD them enough to force them to return to their coffins and regenerate before we de-vampirize them.
>> No. 131942
could you folks think of ways to deal with things other than zapping it as it's that sort of attitude if anything that'll get Youmu killed.
>> No. 131943
>>131942

No. And the reason why I say no is this: Wizardanon has no idea that his actions might cause Youmu's death, making him take different actions 'because that will save Youmu' is metagaming.

If zapping stuff sounds like the best choice at hand, I'll pick it. If subtlety sounds like the best, I'll pick that. However I will only look at what looks to be the best choice for the situation at hand, not for some mystical probability we weren't even supposed to know about in the first place.
>> No. 131944
>>131938
If soul-willing is a choice if you're dead(kind of the point) I'd say it works if you're asleep.

It does depend if vampires keep their souls or not...
>> No. 131945
>>131942

Why do you think she's going to die because of that? Will her death happen because of Zuul? The edath flag has already been triggered, can we even avoid it now?
>> No. 131946
For some reason I think that wishing Remilia vampirism away may be bad Idea.
Why?
1.We have ONE 9 level spell daily.
2.There are 2 Vampires.
3.Sakuya(time hax), Patchouli(For all we know she could be stronger than us), Meiling, and horde of fairies won't be happy.
4.If wizard does something that stupid I don't think Keine and Cirno would help him.

About Helm of opposite alignment:
We don't even know what alignmnemt Remilia is! What evil thing she commited apart from being a dick to us? And how this is different from wizard being a dick to well, everyone? Although Remilia probably isn't good there is always possibility that we would end with something even worse.


BONUS! How do I see character alignment in this story:
Wizard - Neutral Good
Summoned Lawful Good outsider, his past and motivations shows that he is good while actions that he isn't lawful.
Cirno - True Neutral?
Keine - Lawful good
Village protector, altruistic, helped stranger(wizard),
Marisa - Chaotic Neutral
Thief,
Aya - No idea
Sakuya - Lawful Nautral
Loyal and hard working servant
Sanae - Lawful Good
Naive, idealistic, Loyal cleric
Reimu - Appeared in one sentence
Youmu - Lawful Neutral or Lawful good
Yuyuko - Chaotic Good?
Meiling - Lawful Good
Loyal servant, helpful, way she acted towards Cirno in past.
Remilia - Lawful Neutral
Flandre - Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic evil
Patchouli - Lawful ?
Even though we returned her book she still saw is as bad act because of thievery
Duandor - Lawful Good
Alice - ?
Suwako -?
>> No. 131947
>>131945
We could always gain four/five levels, that'll handily solve everything.

sage for even mentioning Epic Magic.

>>131946
>Patchouli(For all we know she could be stronger than us)
Canonically, IIRC Patchouli is extremely powerful, she just has to limit herself because of her horrid constitution.
>> No. 131948
>>131947
Say, there's an idea. Does Wizanon have Craft Wondrous Item? An Amulet of Health would put Patchy in our debt.
>> No. 131950
>>131948
I don't think one of those would help her.

But the limited Wish we're trucking around would probably help. Hell, we could probably Gate in a Solar and have it use its Cleric spellcasting to do something about her asthma problem.
>> No. 131952
We could also just wait for the update instead of wasting posts and threads on hypothetical situations.
>> No. 131953
>>131952
As long as we're discussing things that are (more or less) relevant to the story, it's never a waste.

>>131950
An amulet of health would probably help ease the symptoms of her illnesses by improving her general constitution, but not cure her.
Basically, she'd have more than usual of her "better days" when she feels healthier but she'd still have the same problems.

I don't think crafting one for her would be a big enough favor to put her in our debt, but as a "thank you" for letting us use the library it would be a fitting gift.
>> No. 131957
>>131953
Well if we're going to be talking about the Amulet of Health, I have a good question to put forth.

+2, +4, or +6?
>> No. 131959
File 129270574899.jpg - (55.58KB , 300x542 , 1144104955794.jpg ) [iqdb]
131959
>>131932
I admit this post confused me until I saw the filename. (At which point it was hilarious.)

I just meant as a possible bargaining chip, though, not as a sybaritic fantasy. Zuul intends to be long gone before it would matter (hence Patchy doing the dispel).

>>131938
>Unconscious and sleeping creatures automatically count as consenting.
Leaving aside the fundamentally creepy way you worded this, I don't believe it's true. Citation?

>>131948
Even if he doesn't, wish could create an amulet of health +6 for an extra 2,880 XP added on to the spell's casting cost (5,000 XP).

Of course, this assumes that a) her problem is low Constitution, and b) that she doesn't have something else she needs to wear taking up the neck slot.

And, as was pointed out earlier (>>131809), limited wish can duplicate remove disease.
>> No. 131967
(not the same anon) don't have a citation on hand but I can confirm it's true
>> No. 131976
>>131959
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#aimingASpell

Here you go. And yeah, the way I worded that was a bit creepy in hindsight.
>> No. 131979
>>131976
That only refers to spells with the restriction of "willing creatures", like Teleport ("You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures")
Neither Remove Disease ("Creature touched") nor Polymorph Any Object ("One creature or one nonmagical object of up to 100 cu. ft. / level") requires the target to be a willing recipient.
They will get their save, whether they are conscious or not.
>> No. 131981
If we ignore the rule-crunch for a second, does anyone really think that Wizardnon would really beat them unconscious/sneak up on them while they're asleep just to "cure" their vampirism against their will? (That is, barring votes that force him to do a total 180 on morality/sanity and Demetrious actually writing it instead of ignoring them.)
>> No. 131990
>>131981
>If we ignore the rule-crunch for a second

There's your problem.

The relevance hypotheticals like these has on the story is that the Wizard is for the most part entirely justified in being able to feel he can do whatever he wants.
>> No. 131994
shouldn't curing/easing patchoulis asthma and curing flandre or remilia of their vampirism be either bargaining chips or things you can offer to do to them out of goodwill?

especially in the case of flandre and remilia since they've been vampires for 500 years. The idea of experiencing humanity again should be an intriguing one.

but I am interested in seeing how demetrious intends to write an experience loss from the wizards point of view, after all we can't exactly turn our life experiences into numbers.
>> No. 131995
>>131994
Pretty much every game I've played in described it in some way as an agonizingly painful (depending on how much you're giving up) burning away of a bit of your soul.

You are trading in a bit of yourself to achieve a goal so it's always seemed pretty appropriate to me.
>> No. 131996
File 12927445081.png - (475.60KB , 900x900 , keine wearing ring of routelocking.png ) [iqdb]
131996
Guys, I was just joking about the de-vampiring...

Anyway, I agree that doing something nice for Patchy might be a good idea. She'll be a good source of info and if we befriend her she might go to bat for us with Remilia if shit goes down.

If we're gonna start crafting jewelery for her or something though we should make something for Keine too. Like a ring. Yep, a ring would work just fine. Eh heh heh...
>> No. 131998
File 129274499029.jpg - (150.01KB , 850x1133 , 1286790834117.jpg ) [iqdb]
131998
>Daily updates resume tomorrow.
>> No. 131999
>>131946

Yukari: Chaotic Neutral
Ranging from aloof big sister type, to Omicidal Eldritch Abomination(TM)

Tewi: Chaotic Shenanigans
From the d4Chan wiki
>> No. 132005
>>131945
I think you're badly overreacting, we might have lit the fuse but it hasn't run out yet. I doubt waging war on Remilia would fix anything. If anything it'd make things worse. It'd be one thing to have a few things in an emergency, and it's another to to gear up for war.

I'm just saying we shouldn't be thinking "We must defeat/kill them" when the current atmosphere is merely "tense", not "Hostile"

>>131996
Nice to see with all the folks going on and on about the library, that someone remembers what's important.

It's also my opinion that a library wouldn't interest Wizardanon as much as some think it would. He doesn't strike me as that sort. He'd rather read a few chapters of a book before going to sleep as opposed to spending months in a library. He is not Wallace after all (Lead of the Eldest Scarlet story in /sdm/, a nigh-sure Patchy route story)
>> No. 132007
Once again about devampirisation:
1.Remilia and Flandre seem to be extremely proud of them being vampires.
2.Do we even have wish?
3.From wizard reaction in his first meeting with Remilia we can deduce that they are probably not typical vampires.
4.We have 17 levels not 70,
5.Wizard may be not sanest person in the world but attacking 2 centuries old vampires, guarded by monk, another wizard with whole library of spells at her disposition, a maid(?) who can outhax us and army of fairies in their own fortress, in unknown dimension while being stripped from most of items is bad idea.
6.He have come here to find way out of this insane place, not to fight with everyone

about healing Patchouli:
This is good idea but we need to consider few things:
About summoning solar:
1)Do we have "Gate" spell?
2)How much control we would have over summoned Solar, Planetar or whatever. Patchouli probably isn't evil but we don't to our help go apeshit on Remilia or Flandre.
I don't see any problems with limited wish, but I may be missing something.
It is also possible that her illness source is accumulation of toxins in her body. Material components are often poisonous and while wizard seems to be healthy:
1)he is 26, not at least century like patchouli
2)he have eshew materials feat
3)He doesn't sit 24/7 in library/laboratory
In this case neutralise poison(If possible followed by remove disease) would be better. We would also have to warn her that if she doesn't change her lifestyle her illness would return.
about crafting con Jewellery:
1)we won't have gold
2)we don't know if we can
3)It won't solve anything
4)It can be harmful in long way. Why? Because she will spend more time with toxins and harm her health more.

about daily uptades:
Demetrious clearly lives behind arctic circle
>> No. 132008
What business is it of ours to be fucking up the status quo anyway?
>> No. 132009
>>132008
We want to be the wizard who did it.
*Rimshot*
>> No. 132010
>>132008

We are a PC.
>> No. 132011
>>132008

We are a PC.
>> No. 132012
Wizardnon: Improving the status quo, one Wish at a time.
>> No. 132013
>>132012
The Wizard: Change we can believe in!

YES WE CAN!
>> No. 132014
Shouldn't we wait for a point when we have choices before deciding what to do? At this rate, it will be a two updates thread.

Quite frankly, I don't see us going so far to help and I see all this speculation as meaningless.

>>131945
It was always trigerred from the start and it will remain that way if we keep acting as the king of the game. As for myself, I see it at the start of the bad end we'll get if we keep making stupid choices.
>> No. 132015
>>132014
I see it as an interesting possible plot point, and it would be a shame to miss it for no reason other than "we don't want anything bad to happen".
If Wizardnon realizes the problem (whatever it may be) and does his best to try to fix it then sure, avoiding it would be good. But I wouldn't mind it happening either because I believe it would make for a very good scene.
>> No. 132016
Seriously, why do people care about Youmu dying? Yuyuko will just keep her soul in the Netherworld. She might as well be dead already for all the change it'll do to her life.
>> No. 132017
>>132014
We already agreed to proceed towards damage control in a subtle and IC way. The Wizard is shaken by Keine's questioning of his goals and motivations in life and he needs (and knows he needs) to discuss it more comprehensively with her. The choice is made and only circumstances stopped us from discussing it earlier (Sakuya interrupting). The next opportunity for discussion will also be the time to discuss our vision in its entirety with her and begin proper planning to stop cold any chance of it happening.

The situation is grim, but we can still turn the tide. We are the Wizard and we shall not be Bound to Fate or Destiny. We shall decide our future, no one else. Keine stands as our most reliable and steadfast friend (and mayhap more?) in this land. More character development is required and it should be reminded to my fellows readers that it is merely the 3rd or 4th day since we arrived in Gensokyo.

To gain the friendship/favour of Patchouli by offering remedy to the ills that assail her is a wise decision. Mayhap it will even help clear some of the remaining animosity she may hold from perceiving us as a thief thieving from another thief. Assuring the goodwill of one of only three colleagues/mages in Gensokyo, and certainly the one with the most arcane Knowledge and experience available to her, will undoubtably be crucial to our efforts, whatever way they might take.

We have not been a gracious guest thus far. Perhaps now is the time to offer a favour as apology for our rudeness. We have established ourselves as serious contenders and not toys to Remilia, now we can prove ourselves to be reasonable businessmen as well. She does us a favour by offering us a visit to the Library, we can repay her in kind. The rules of hospitality have seldom changed in the West since the days they existed under the aegis of Zeus Chronide. Our tales were short and did not entertain our host, a gift should be offered to remedy that.

It is regrettable that the Wizard does not know of Remilia's ability to manipulate Fate, but it was perhaps for the better. False intentions are all to easily perceived by elder creatures, and to hide the Wizard's hate for vampires would have been too difficult a roll.

Finally, we should endeavour to befriend Suwako and ask for either knowledge or support. A god, even weakened, is a powerful ally, and the support of a local divinity might help us overcome whatever social faux-pas the Wizard might make in this heavily traditional Japanese society. It is, in fact, a wonder Keine took so well to us despite our utter disregard for certain Japanese social conventions.

The reason for these conciliatory moves is, strategically, obvious. While we are indeed a powerful wizard, we cannot act alone and in this land we critically lack allies. While Remilia is now almost completely unlikely to become an ally, we might as we remove ourselves from the "threat" category of her mind. Patchouli, on the other hand, represent one of only three mages we have heard of in Gensokyo and it would thus be wise to be in good terms with our colleagues (which makes favourable interactions with Alice a must as well) as we need their expertise to return to our own Plane. It is interesting to note that learning how to, and indeed managing to, get out of Gensokyo does not necessarily mean the end of this story; indeed, it only makes things much more... interesting. WE swore to change things in Gensokyo, did we not?

Demetrious, were are you, friend? For too long have you remained silent, speak and calm our fears.
>> No. 132018
>>132017
Helping Patchouli is good. That I have no problem with. But if you say that you can 'cure' vampirism or doing something to Flandre's mind, I see Remilia murdering you as fast as possible. We're seen as a threat already. Not need to be seen as a high-priority one. No matter how you say you can help Flandre, Remilia will see this as 'he can affect my sister's mind'.
>> No. 132019
Weeeel remember how freaked out Keine got over the whole "Charm Person" thing? It's probably not a good idea to be all, "ha, if I wanted to control youkai, I'd have to spring for higher level stuff like Charm Monster or the Dominates herp derp" or that there's a spell called "Control Undead."

The mindfuckery a wizard can pull off is something that needs to be handled with subtlety and tact... well, or as close as Zuul here can approximate something like tact.

As for the Remi and Flan-flan and their 'conditions', if it comes off as "I could if you wanted" rather than "For your own good you should", thinking it SHOULD be their choice, that will make him intriguing instead of a threat; plus it fits the broad archetype of Neutral or Chaotic Good.

What I wanna see is Zuul's discussing it with Remilia and is all, "Ah, de-vampiring is kinda difficult, it's not as straight-forward as curing lycanthropy" and then Remilia looks at Keine and then suddenly OH.
>> No. 132022
>>132019
Considering how much we have shown to dislike vampires so far, I doubt that discussion will ever come up. Remilia has never shown any interest in stopping to be a vampire either so bringing it up will be seen more as a possible threat than anything.

There is such a thing as rocking a boat too hard, remember.
>> No. 132023
On Deities:
Suwako, along with Sanae and that second deity(what was her name?), are from outside the border. Even if getting out is harder than getting in, they wanted to come to gensyoko, so they have to know something about barrier, and this demiplane.

If to think about it, w probably meet another deity before Suwako. Yuyuko manipulation of death looks suspiciously similiar to Salient Divine Ability "Life and Death" It would mean that she has at least 6 divine ranks.

About getting out:
Let's people who may know way out:
Yukari Yakumo
Do I need to explain?
Keine in her beast form.
She claims Omniscience.
Reimu?
I recall something about her to the moon.
Suwako, other deity from her shrine.
Well at least they know way in.
Patchouli or at least one person in SDM.
For same reason as Suwako. They know way in, so they know where we are. Yes I know we are in gensyoko, but apart from that this is demiplane we have no idea, what kind of demiplane we are in.

about herp derp let's attack Remilia.
Let's analyze SDM denizens:

Remilia Scarlet
~500 years old Vampire
Alignment ?
str >18
dex ?
con -
int >=17
wis ?
cha ?
At least 14 spellcaster levels. After adding bonuses from being vampire she is at least CR 16
At least 6 feats*.
At least 92 skill points.
Regeneration(ex)
Spell-Like Abilities:
Wish(we don't know how often she can use it, or what limitation she has to it' but it's almost certain that can use it)

in possesion:
Gungnir minor artifact

Flandre Scarlet
~500 years old Vampire
Alignment ?
str >18
dex ?
con -
int ?
wis ?
cha ?
Regeneration(ex)
Spell-Like Abilities:
Some sort of explosive spell(at will)
in possesion:
Lævateinn Major artifact

Sakyua Izaoi
Human(?)
Alignment?
str >=15
dex ?
con ?
int ?
wis ?
cha ?
Spell-Like Abilities:
Time Stop*(at will)
This version of time stop lasts longer than 5 rounds aka 30 seconds
Possesion:
Knives. A lot of them.

Patchouli Knowledge
At least 100 years old Youkai.
Alignment L?
str ?
dex <10
con ?
int ?
wis ?
cha ?
More than 14 spellcaster levels
Feats: Improved Familiar, and at least 5 feats*
Possesion: Multiple spellbooks, library
Familiar: Some kind of demon/devil?


Hong Meiling
Youkai
Alignment ?
str >=15
dex ?
con ?
int ?
wis ?
cha ?

*Technically they both should have at least 8 feats(2 bonus spellcaster class) but there is always possibility that they wasted levels in some sub-optimised prestige class.

p.s. How do you Quote multiple people on this kind of forum?
>> No. 132024
>>132023

Welcome to THP. Please improve your english and lurk a lot. Read >>/gensokyo/6052.

To quote another post, just click on the post number. To quote more than one post, click on the post number of all posts you want to quote, or just type >>POSTNUMBER.

To quote just parts of a post, just type >QUOTEDSENTENCE.

Please, lurk a lot and enjoy your stay.
>> No. 132025
>>132007
>Do we have Wish, do we have Gate
We can't spam the things willy nilly, but we're 17th level. We have 9th level spells.
>Can we control the Solar
Yes, we can. If we Gate in a Solar, we can control it. It won't immediately go on a Smite Rampage.
>> No. 132026
>>132023
Flan's ability is a bit hard to quantify. It's more conceptual than anything else. Going by the description, it just wipes out whatever she aims at in an explosion of sufficient size. Size, toughness etc of the target don't matter at all. Blowing up an annoying fairy or a bug or whatever takes the same effort on her part as blowing up a dinokiller-size asteroid (like she did in Aya's news article).
>> No. 132028
>>131898
>>131946
>>132007
>>132023
You seem to have a pattern of making long posts which exist only to show off unsubstantiated assumptions. Worse, you don't mark these assumptions as being assumptions, instead stating them as objective fact.

Please stop.
>> No. 132047
>>132018
I never said to "offer" such a thing, good sir. The Wizard, being what he is, can simply explain he wishes to clear the bad blood between Remilia and himself by offering her a favour/wish and then asking "What do you want?"

The Wizard may wish to make sure the shadows are not moving when he will ask that fateful question.
>> No. 132056
Honestly I see any sort overplanning for combat or severely (i.e. Wish/Limited Wish) messing with the Status Quo ending badly as with shifts in the balance of power, bad things are prone to happening.

With any sort of fight it's better that you don't start them; finishing them is another matter.
>> No. 132073
I say if we decide to cure Flandre and Remilia of their vampirism, we use Greater Planar Binding to summon an efreet, and then make three wishes. The first two are for the two ladies to be cured of vampirism and returned to life. The last is for a Neutral Evil Candle of Invokation, which we can use to summon more Efreeti.

Remember that Wish doesn't have an upper limit on the quality of the magic items it makes because it costs double XP to make them, and Efreeti don't spend the XP to do so since they have it as a spell-like ability, so they should be just fine with making, say, a stopwatch that casts Time Stop at will. That's an Epic item since it costs more than 200,000 GP (it costs 306,000gp), but it's still possible to make with a Wish if you've got 29,480 XP to burn (or if you can cast Wish without expending XP).
>> No. 132074
>>132073
Infinite wishes are stupid because the DM (in this case rightly so) WILL fuck you up.

In this case your candle may appear lodged in your lower intestine.
>> No. 132077
>>132073
Sigh. Not the god damn Efreeti wish loop again.

Not to mention that it all comes down to whether or not they even want to be "cured".
>> No. 132080
I really don't understand why this whole topic of conversation started in the first place. Why would Mr. Wizard even want to give favors to this crowd? He is chaotically aligned; he doesn't give a damn about trading favors or making deals, a hallmark of the neutral alignment. He will take whatever he wants whenever he wants through whatever means necessary to achieve his final goal of returning home. His only reason for getting on anyone's good side is just to make the process go faster with least resistance and effort, and he's not going to go out of his way to provide gifts or donations like a good samaritan, or trade for them like a neutral dealmaker.

Patchouli is already scared of Mr. Wizard because of the tale he provided at the dinner table last night, so she should have no reason to accept any gifts from him either out of fear and suspicion. The book thievery isn't even part of the issue anymore, since his story proved how much of a risk and danger he can be if he is capable of surviving encounters with beholders and illithid alike. Any gifts of "good faith" like curing her asthma or giving her enchanted jewelry not only fails to follow his alignment, she likely won't even accept them. Not to mention how she might prefer to stay exactly the way she is now, sickness and all. Likewise with the vampires. Interfering with the current state of things will only make everyone angry, even people outside of the mansion who may not enjoy such favors being given to this group.
>> No. 132081
>>132080
It's important to keep in mind that an alignment isn't the end all be all of how a person should act in every situation.

A lawful good character can break the law if they feel the need to, an evil character can perform a benevolent act, and a Neutral character can go against his own interests.
It's a guideline and an easy way to ascertain the general idea of a character, not immutable law.
>> No. 132082
>>132081
On the other handding out powerful favours that may offend and will personally cost our protagonist significantly is not in character at all.

As for the infinite wish loop, if it was a legitimate tactic, SOMEONE would have used it before now. That implies that there's a barrier to it's use, or all wizards routinely ascend to being able to do everything ever possible with an at-will wish after a certain level.
>> No. 132083
>>132082
I would imagine that "barrier" having something to with the fact that that it all relies on an Evil Outsider not screwing you over, somehow.
>> No. 132084
Why the fuck are you discusing this now? Can't you guys wait for when the time is appropriate, instead of planning 20 updates into the future?

Also, updates, the are they?
>> No. 132087
>203 posts and 14 images omitted.
>1 update aside from the OP
This shit has gotten way too out of hand.

You see this?
http://www.touhou-project.com/words/res/794.html
This is where all your extraneous D&D, physics, and any other tangentially related bullshit needs to go.
>> No. 132097
>>132096

Yes, because our complete silence will magically cause Demetrious to update faster.
>> No. 132098
>>132024
Thank you.

>>132028
Um. Isn't obvious that those are assumptions? I'm not writer and therefore I cannot state anything as a fact.

>>132087
This is also new thing for me. I've seen few forums with huge fanfiction/roleplaying subforums and I don't remember anyone complaining about people discussing story/mechanics of story verse/etc. often for many pages. Is server hosting this site too weak for this or there is other reason for this?
>> No. 132099
>I'm here for updates, not more chatter.
>>132097
Him being silent and leaving people hanging is not better either. Why not just let the people discuss, even if it is unrelated.
Nothing better to do anyway.
>> No. 132101
>>132098
They just don't want the thread to hit the bump limit. Then the writer would have to make a new thread, and it'd be mildly inconvenient for everyone involved.

Gotta say though, 1 and a half updates is a new record.
>> No. 132103
>>132098

Thing is, this is not a forum. This is an imageboard. There is a limit to how many threads each board can hold, and whenever a new one is mae, another one is erased.

There is also a limit to how many posts a thread can have, which forces the creation of a new thread every so often.

Do the math. More discusion, less space for updates, more threads needed, less space for not only everyone else, but for Demetrious himself, as his previous threads will have the same destiny as everybody's thread after the autosage hits.
>> No. 132105
For the record: it's up to the author to decide what flies or not in his/her thread. As long as the author doesn't complain or specify there's no problem with discussion or, hell, banter in a thread. The exception to that is flooding/spamming, which ruins things for everyone.

tl;dr Author is God in threads.
>> No. 132106
>>132103
They'll be archived. Scary. Are any of the threads back there even active?
>> No. 132121
>>132103
1.) The threads that get pushed off the board are either dead and gone, and thus shouldn't really be kept around anyways since we seem to have an archive going on, or aren't updating anyways and thus keeping it around is more or less pointless.
2.) There is no two, I think you should just fucking can it, because boy you sure are whiny over people talking amongst each other and not listening to your drivel, you aspie.
>> No. 132122
>>132105
I'm afraid I have to argue:
Author is KING
ADMIN is God
>> No. 132123
>>132122
So then you're disagreeing with God?
Good job.
>> No. 132125
... Can we PLEASE wait for the next part instead of arguring? Having 1 and a Half story posts in a story thread is sad.
>> No. 132148
>>132105
Ahahahaoh wow.
>> No. 132165
>>132125
way to troll yourself keep it up
>> No. 132166
People, please sage when posting. I'm getting annoyed because everytime I went to see this thread when it got bumped, only to see another pointless posts and trolling.
>> No. 132192
Let's see... 50 gold coins to the pound, right? Wish can grant upwards of 25000 GP worth of items, so 500 lbs of coins, and going by the 95% gold figure in a previous thread gives you 475 lbs. of raw gold. Now, assuming I didn't screw up the math when converting to Troy measurements, that gives you... 9,584,520.3125 USD, going by a quick Google search on current gold prices.

Now, assuming the spell goes by Earth prices and shoots for quantity over quality when the wizard finally snaps and Wishes for as much coffee as he can get his hands on, would the resulting rain(or spontaneously appearing mountain) of coffee beans be large enough to qualify as an Incident?
>> No. 132195
>>132192
...
So SRD market rate for hiring a caster to cast a spell for you is (caster level * spell level * 10) Gold. 17th level caster casting 9th level spell? 1530 Gold (plus cost of XP). XP is valued at 5 gold a pop; so wish (XP cost 5000+) has a market cost of no less than 25000 + 1530, or 26530 gold, or more than the money you're delivering here. Wish is not an economic spell, you don't cast it to make money you cast it because you need that magic sword vs. demons right flippin' now or else the Balrog doesn't stay dead or whatever.

We wanna make money? "Wall of Iron", cast at 17th level, would go for 1020 gold and create 141 cubic feet of iron. At 7.7974 g/cc and a market rate of 20 cents a kilogram, that's $6300 worth of metal.

But these are boring algebra ways to think about using money for gain, there's no fun in that, especially since all of this is predicated on operating in an economy where this is well known and under competition... which Wizanon is not.

Anything that just replaces labor or raw commodities is thinking about this wrong. Gotta go for the services no one else can offer... like for example, the second level stat-buff spells. What would Marisa be willing to trade for 17 minutes of +4 CRANIALNESS while she's doing spell development or whatever?

Go further. Contact Other Plane is 5th level magic. It's risky, but a 17th level caster could ask eight yes/no or one-word-answer questions of an Elder Power; what would one of those be worth?
>> No. 132196
>>132192
Too soon. Give him a few more weeks without coffee.
>> No. 132198
>>132195
I don't think he was going for money. He was trying to see how much coffee one could get with a wish.
>> No. 132199
>>132192
A better question would be: How much chaos could all the faeries in Gensokyo wreck if they were hopped up on a mountain of coffee?
>> No. 132200
>>132199
Fairies stealing Wizard's coffee? I can't imagine many things that would piss him off more than that.
>> No. 132207
File 129316492146.jpg - (5.58KB , 251x206 , 1275100958465s.jpg ) [iqdb]
132207
225 posts and only two of which are updates.
pic related.
>> No. 132215
When will Yukari come into the picture?
>> No. 132226
>*pats on the head*
Reported. Goddamnit, won't you guys ever learn?
>> No. 132228
Demetrious needs to show himself now if we are to contain this madness. Don't tell me he managed to blow his entire internet system the day after he last posted?
>> No. 132236
you do realize he's actually a ridiculously fast updater and that his free time belongs to him, right? Oh and happy holidays everyone
>> No. 132237
>>132236
People have gotten so complacent with his exceedingly rapid updates that any slight slowdown in momentum leads to immediate withdrawal syndrome, particularly with those who haven't been around long enough to experience those stories that update once a month, or worse, once every seven minutes.

So how about everyone who fears about the sudden reduction of update speed just stop worrying about it. Start reading those other stories on this site that can and will benefit from additional readership and votes, which may provide enough motivation for authors to speed up the updates of the stories that need those faster updates. Demetrious already updates more than fast enough.
>> No. 132240
>>132237
To be fair,
>Daily updates resume tomorrow.
Isn't the best way to leave us hangin'...
>> No. 132332
File 129334177138.jpg - (35.55KB , 600x600 , 1272340095386.jpg ) [iqdb]
132332
Last Night.


The quiet blonde woman steps into the clearing and glances back over her shoulder at you, the brilliant moonglow pooling in her wide, staring eyes.

“We’re here.”

‘Here’ proves to be a compact white clapboard house on the other side of the clearing, with a kind of round tower or silo attached to one side, complete with conical roof. Darkness clings to the brown shingles and pools under the porch roof. Alice strides with renewed briskness towards the small house, her little lantern-bearer in tow. You stand watching as Alice seems to glide across the short moonbeam-silvered grass, the feeble yellow twinkle of the doll’s lantern seeming aberrant against the pale radiance of-

“Duandor? Are you coming?”

“Uh! Yes M’lady,” you answer hastily, shaking off the spell. You catch up to Alice with a few long, easy strides, and she leads you to the door of her small domicile. She fishes about in her pockets for a moment or two, and you instinctively glance back at the moonlit clearing and the foreboding woods beyond. During your silent escort, your keen senses and honed instincts had left no doubt that this was an ancient and eldritch wood. Yet nothing had stirred at your passage, not even to warily stalk and evaluate.

Perhaps, you think, glancing back at Alice, because I’m in the presence of the most dangerous thing around already.

“Here,” Alice exhales with a trace of frustration, producing a key (to your surprise.) You would’ve expected some sort of magic item to dispel wards, or nothing at all, from a witch. Indeed, when you glance at the ceiling of the porch and around the windows, your sharp eyes pick out faint sigils.

The large key klerdunk’s in the lock, and Alice pushes the door open, beckoning you into the foyer. A wave of her hand sends the little doll with the lantern inside, for what little light can escape its soot-stained panes. Alice follows close behind, unclasping her cloak and feeling about for a coat-rack. With your darkvision, you have no such difficulty; the entire foyer is visible in stark grayscale.

Alice, frustrated with the failing lantern, irritably blows it out and strikes a long match against its iron bottom. The tiny flame restores what little color her pale face and misty teal eyes can offer, but the rest remains in grayscale.

“Come in,” she invites, cupping her hand over the flickering match as she looks back at you. Her doll, still bearing the dark lantern, turns to implore you with its own flat glass eyes.

You step across the threshold and gently close the door. It latches with a dull, grating tunk.

The witch leads you through the archway on the left into a large, open room crowded with shelves and low tables. She picks her way carefully through the furniture by the meager matchflame over to a large fireplace centered in the left-hand wall. She gropes for a fire poker, discarding the match onto the ashes, and starts stirring around, unearthing still-glowing embers. You hand her a few split logs from a nearby wood rack, and soon a small blaze is roaring in the hearth.

Alice picks up one of the small kettles neatly arranged on the mantle-piece and drops it onto a pot-hook, swinging it over the fire with the iron poker.

“Just a moment,” she says, before quitting the room through another archway at the far end. You hear her groping around in the dark of what you assume is the kitchen. Turning, you inspect the room.

Firelight dances in a thousand eyes.

You start, hand instinctively jerking overhand towards the hilt of your blade, before you realize they’re just dolls, not an army of fey. Just dolls, everywhere, sitting in neat ranks on the shelves. Hands folded demurely in their laps, glass eyes staring straight ahead into the center of the room. The shelves are crowded with a myriad other objects; grimories, decorated pots, etched wands, and other things you collectively file under ‘magicrap.’

But all of these invariably have a doll leaning against them.

“Tea?”

You start again, involuntarily.

“Sorry,” Alice says from behind you. Turning, you see she’s got a tray with teacups and funny little silk bags with strings on it. “Went for tea. Won’t you sit?”

“Of course,” you say calmly, unstrapping your baldric and letting the sheathed greatsword slip from your back. You carefully lower yourself into a rocker situated left of the fireplace, but find it a sturdy piece that bears your weight easily. Alice sets the tray on a low table afore the hearth, and takes a seat opposite you.

“All set,” she says primly. “Now, let me fill you in on the background of this ‘Giant Midsumemer Youkai.’ A short time ago, the Kappa-”

“Who?” you interject. You casually wrap the baldric around the arm of the rocker, so the sheath will come away if you need to draw. In case something from outside should attack, of course. Unlikely, but a warrior of Celestia is always vigilant.

“Oh, Kappa,” Alice says casually, waving her hand. “A kind of water youkai, a river sprite, I guess you could say. Quite clever, and mechanically inclined.”

Aquatic gnomes, you think.

“Anyway, they were having a festival, and they made this giant doll that would inflate and deflate via steam. After the manner of a large balloon, really. It was purely to attract attention to their festival. In any case, some people caught a look at it from a distance as it rose and fell and a great deal of foolishness ensued as they went around looking for some sort of giant beast.”

“Whatever we saw striding through the night out there was no doll, steam-powered or otherwise,” you point out.

“Indeed,” Alice whispers, steepling her fingers, her eyes unfocusing.

Several seconds are filled with the crackling murmur of the fire.

“M’lady?”

“What?” she snaps, almost irritably. “Oh. Yes. Well, in any case, rumors started circulating shortly afterwards about this ‘great youkai’ stalking about in the woods, the fields, and so forth - in places far removed from the site of the kappa’s festival, and long after their big steam doll was common knowlege.”

“It would appear those rumors have been borne out,” you say dryly.

“Quite,” she says. “The rumors vary widely on the specifics, and especially in the origins, but they all agree on the creature itself. It stands nearly as tall as the trees, moves with swift confidence, and is a devastating foe in combat.”

“Combat?” you query.

Alice shrugs. “Apperently someone dueled with it, or something. Every version of the rumor I’ve heard includes a rather fantastic account of it.”

Your muzzle deepens into a canine frown. “All rumors have a seed of truth from which they grow. And you can’t have a duel with a mere hot-air puppet.”

Alice nods in agreement. “My line of thinking exactly. I suspected that something[i] was out there, but...” Alice’s eyes flick towards the window. “This is the first time I’ve actually [i]seen it. The rumors have been circulating ever since the Kappa’s festival, but I only found footprints and broken branches in the treetops a few months ago.”

“What are you implying?” you ask.

Alice shakes her head. “I don’t know. But the urgency of developing a counter-measure is now imperative.”

“The best strategy would be a trap,” you point out, “with seige weaponry arranged in ambush. But we must know the motives of this ‘giant youkai’ to have any success with such a scheme.”

The teapot starts to sputter and whistle, so Alice leans forward with the fire poker and swings it out of the hearth. From above her head something stirs on a shelf, and you almost start before realizing it’s just another doll. You now notice another tall bookcase behind Alice loaded with dolls and the occasional volume. A basket of needles, cloth and thread near Alice’s rocker suggests that she often works on dolls there.

Alice fills two teapots from the steaming kettle, depositing two of the queer little silk bags into each, trapping the strings with the lid. She settles down again.

“No such nonsense necessary,” Alice says dismissively. “My Puppet Enlargement Project should be able to contend nicely.”

“... enlargement?” you ask tenetively. “A large doll, as a lure?”

“To vanquish it,” she says, audibily irritated this time.

“You use your dolls for combat?” you ask, playing your gaze over the shelved dolls behind Alice’s rocker. Your hackles rise a little.

Dangerous dolls.

“Yes. They’re quite capable of bearing amulets and so forth, to make remote attacks. I can launch attacks from multiple directions at once.” Her eyes seem to narrow a bit, and several dolls leap from the shelf behind her, making you jerk your head back to keep them in sight as they execute a quick weaving pattern in the air. After a few moments of this, they settle back onto the shelf behind her.

“Impressive,” you concede. “How complex a command can they obey?”

“They’re just puppets,” Alice says. “I control them with magical links. Strings, if you will. It takes great focus to manipulate many at once.”

“I see,” you say. “I would not have guessed. That one bearing your lantern seemed to move on its own.”

“No, no,” Alice says. “She’s just a doll.” Her hands clasp in her lap. “Just a doll, you know...” She’s staring at you intently... then staring through you, her eyes seemingly unfocused again, her breathing shallow.

With her pale skin and empty eyes, the motionless blonde looks quite similar to the puppets arranged in climbing ranks behind her, firelight playing in their glassy eyes as they stare at you.

Something brushes your ear-

“AY!” you nearly bark, springing from your seat. Hovering in the air right behind your chair is Alice’s little lantern-bearer, hugging a heavy parchment scroll.

“Those... those. Those,” Alice says as her mental gears slowly find traction. “Plans for my puppet enlargement project. Your wizard friend might find them interesting.”

“Indeed,” you agree, a little too eagerly. You flop into your chair again carelessly, plucking the scroll from the silent doll with deliberate nonchalance. It is just a doll, right? It just caught you by suprise.

Of course it’s silent, you mock yourself silenty. It’s a doll. Were you expecting it to talk?

Shanghai floats down to the table and hefts the teapot with no apperent effort, carefully filling a pair of china cups. The doll-

Alice, you mentally substitute-

-carries the cup to you, where it fairly vanishes into your giant palm. The doll then carries the second one over to Alice, who daintily accepts the handle between her fingertips.

“Thanks, Shanghai,” Alice murmurs automatically.

“What is the range of your magical strings?” you inquire after a moments consideration.

“It varies depending on multiple factors,” Alice says, “but for most practical purposes, forty or fifty feet, if I push it.”

In other words, across the room. You feel the itch of a thousand glass eyes on the back of your neck, but steadfastly ignore it. Dolls, indeed.

Alice daintily raises her teacup and sips. You carefully bring the teacup engulfed in your huge hand to your mouth and manage a muted slurp.

“And the range of your giant puppet?” you ask.

“Less then I would prefer at current,” Alice says. “I’ve got a good prototype working at the moment, but more work is needed.”

“Have you tested it in the forge of combat?” you inquire.

“Yes,” Alice says rather brusquely. You surmise that the big doll’s trial-by-danmaku was less then overwhelming.

“Would you like to stay the night?” Alice asks suddenly. “It’s very late, and it sounded like your wizard is going to be occupied for the rest of the night.”

For a long moment you’re tempted to decline. But then you remember the woman that spellcasting fool was babbling about, and your own injunction that he stop avoiding a meaningful conversation. You’ve been worried about him for a long while now. You’re not about to interrupt just when he’s found somebody who could help him.

“I would be in your debt,” you say gravely.

“Ah,” Alice says, a hint of relief in her voice. “There’s a spare bed in my workshop.” Alice sips at her tea again. You raise your teacup to find it’s already empty.

“Shanghai?” Alice prompts, and the little doll lifts the teapot again, ready for a refill. You’re just extending the teacup when you realize

she just addressed the doll

Her eyes are starting to unfocus again. Shanghai advances with the teapot, looking at you with eyes. Dolls behind you, behind Alice, eyes, dolls, Alice, flat glass eyes-

“I am quite weary, m’lady Alice,” you say abruptly, dropping the teacup away from the proffered pot and setting it upon the table. You rise, unwrapping the baldric from the chair’s armrest and picking up the sheath. “With your permission, I shall retire.”

“Hmm?” Alice says distantly. “Oh, yes. Of course. I shall as well. A long day. A long day,” she repeats, rising. From the mantlepiece, she takes an enclosed glass oil lamp and lights it. “This way,” she instructs, handing the lamp to Shanghai. She leads you out of the room and through a small kitchen to a solid oak door.

Alice pushes it open.

Dolls.

Wooden, articulated models dangle from the ceiling by thin strings, hovering over tables crowded with schematics and drawings. Half-assembled dolls lay strewn on workbenches. One complete doll without any eyes stiched on leans against a jar with a hundred to spare. Bins against the wall are filled with little shoes, little dresses, little limbs.

A thick mattress with rumpled bedclothes lies atop a heavy workbench at the back of the room, under the window, and you realize that Alice spends many of her nights here.

“Will this suffice?” Alice asks. Shanghai proffers the oil lamp to you.

“.... yes,” you manage to force out. “Quite nicely.”


*****

Oh yeah, it gets worse.
>> No. 132333
File 129334184451.jpg - (107.96KB , 300x309 , rageface_bigeyes.jpg ) [iqdb]
132333
Guess what I got for Christmas?

A NEW HARD DRIVE
>> No. 132334
>>131588

Horribly late, but:

>Only religious apologists ever use the "well, science isn't perfect, so there" argument and expect to be taken seriously.

Further elucidation:

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/respectscience.php#%22Maybe_A_Future_Scientific_Breakthrough_Will_Let_Me_Have_My_Way%22~Correspondence_Principle
>> No. 132336
All the posts talking about curing Remila and Flandre's vampirism made me remember "combat revives" in Urban Dead.

Oh, the sheer, raging hatred those caused. Until they were patched out, in fact.

>>132009
>>132010
>>132011
>>132012
>>132013

YES.
>> No. 132337
Waiting warmly for the rest.
>> No. 132338
>>132332
Oh, this is a pleasant Christmas present.
>> No. 132339
>>132336
>"combat revives" in Urban Dead.
That brought a smile to my face. I must have nailed those suckers a good 90% of the time when I had to resort to it.
>Oh, the sheer, raging hatred those caused.
The best part of it.
>Until they were patched out, in fact.
Figures. He's still probably weighing the game more & more in favor of zombies.
>> No. 132342
He really is no doll fan.
>> No. 132343
>>132333
Did they giftwrap the harddrive? Imagining your face as you opened it is making me laugh.
>> No. 132352
Oh god.
I'm going to bed in a few minutes.
Oh god. I feel your pain, Duke.
>> No. 132353
>Alice is fucking creepy
>Shanghai is love

bisonyes.gif
>> No. 132357
Good job making yet another interesting and lovable character Deme. A bit late but merry christmas to you too!
>> No. 132362
File 129338126749.jpg - (139.52KB , 640x480 , 5987e63681e884e58fd41b4276490d83.jpg ) [iqdb]
132362
Today's 'A Wizard is you' episode will be replaced with... 'A doll's life!tm'
>> No. 132366
might want to edit the italicization here:

I suspected that something[i] was out there, but...” Alice’s eyes flick towards the window. “This is the first time I’ve actually [i]seen itdd
>> No. 132407
File 129350085362.png - (580.95KB , 800x1000 , 131dfc229554dd3fe9747f6ee1f30b3c.png ) [iqdb]
132407
Sitting on the makeshift bed, you wait until Alice’s footsteps have faded into silence.

You blow out the lamp, eliminating the eerie flicker of color about the room in favor of stark grayscale.

“One,” you whisper gruffly, flipping open the window over the bed, letting the moons radiance pour inside.

“Two,” you say, turning resolutely back to the workshop. Darkvision is fine, but any light whatsoever reveals more detail.

“Three.”

Alice is certainly gone by now, not to return before dawn. So there’s no chance of being caught while displaying childish paranoia.. Rising from your ‘bed,’ you swiftly stride around the room, efficiently turning every doll, complete or not, so their glass eyes face a wall or tabletop. The room is stuffed full of dolls of every size and variety, even a few nearly the size of a halfling, so it takes a while.

About halfway through this process, the absurdity of it strikes you. You, an Archon, sworn defender of Celestia, scared of puppets. When the puppeteer is asleep, in fact! You chuff derisively at yourself, glancing around the workshop again. You’ve slept soundly in the company of much more terrifying things (that scoundrel of a spellcaster not among the least of them,) so you’ll be damned if you’ll balk at dolls.

You give the room one more haughty glance, and retreat to the kitchen.

For a glass of water, of course.

The kitchen, to your delight, is equipped with running water. (Just how this particular setup works is another topic you file under “magicrap.”) Sitting down at the narrow table, you drink straight from a pitcher of water (the glasses proved little larger then the teacups) and observe the forest through the single window set in the back wall.

A schoolteacher, you muse. There’s a lot your friend didn’t say about her, you assume, because he’s certainly not the type to put on the brakes to chat with a schoolteacher. His unique talent is bouncing from one brutal conflict to another – sometimes not even finishing the first before entangling himself in the second, in fact. You wonder what else he’s gotten himself into already. Besides gigantic stalkers of the night, of course.

You finish your pitcher, politely wash and dry it, and return it to the cupboard. Time for rest. After thinking about your friend, the dolls don’t seem so scary anymore. Padding silently through the house with wolflike stealth, you return to Alice’s workshop and push open the door.

The dolls are looking at you.

All of the dolls.

Even the ones you turned.

The heavy wooden door whams shut with all the strength you can muster, and Duandor, holy warrior and defender of the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, runs like hell. You come to a skidding stop in the living room, still panting, before remembering that this room, as well, is full of dolls. The glow of the dying fire suffuses the room, glinting in a thousand glass eyes. The dolls are staring aimlessly into the center of the room, as before.

You slowly unlimber your blade from its sheath anyways. You know you didn’t imagine the sight in the workshop.

“They’re quite capable of bearing amulets and so forth,” Alice’s voice echo’s in your mind. She said they were just puppets, but even you know that magic can have residual effects, often leading to unexpected consequences. Especially in animated constructs.

Movement. In the corner of your eye. Your head snaps around just in time to see a doll at the end of the room daintily step off a shelf into thin air, gracefully pirouetting. Another floats off the tall bookshelf behind Alice’s chair, and a third joins from a basket on the floor.

“What demented sorcery is this?” you marvel, watching as the dolls slowly begin circling midair. A few more dolls upon the shelves twitch their limbs abortively, but stay put. Soon, the circling dolls are weaving between each other, looping and twirling with no apparent aim. You edge towards the archway, but since the dolls betray no knowledge of you, you don’t find it threatening.

Two of the dolls meet midair, leaning their heads together conspiratorially, and move to ambush a third. The victim recoils, swatting at them gently, and soon all three are twirling about, arm in cloth arm. Elsewhere dolls seem to be playing catch with a spool of thread.

I control them with magical links. Strings, if you will,” the witch’s voice again echoes in your head.

Suddenly, the small cloud of cavorting dolls explodes in a frenzy of kinetic violence, small cloth bodies whipping about the room at incredible velocities, some smashing headlong into books or furniture. You duck one that zips past your ear, and hear a clatter as another crashes into the iron fireplace implements, toppling them.

With that, you decide you’ve seen enough, and get the hell out, retreating to the kitchen.

You spend the rest of the night in one of Alice’s kitchen chairs, sleeping fitfully. At one point, you wake and think you hear sobbing. Another time, long after the moon has set and darkness reigns supreme, you almost think you hear soft, slow footsteps in the house.

At least there are no dolls in the kitchen.
>> No. 132408
I literally had to repost this like ten bloody times, because of typos.

My brain needs a firmware update.
>> No. 132410
unfortunately, the creepiness of the scene is lost on me because I simply wouldn't be creeped out by it all.
>> No. 132411
File 129350456191.jpg - (49.12KB , 400x396 , 1286566597905.jpg ) [iqdb]
132411
Is that...a look into the sleeping mind of Alice?

I am freaked the fuck out. Mommy. ;A;
>> No. 132413
> and Duandor, holy warrior and defender of the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, runs like hell.
Hahahaha. Poor guy.
>Sobbing
;..;
>Dolls playing around.
It's just like the missing bits in a program: random and unpredictable data creates unexpected reactions. I wonder if Alice realizes that he lifetime dream is playing around in the first floor.
>> No. 132414
THE DOLLS. ARE FLYING. AROUND THE ROOM.
Agh... now I have this mental image of Alice as some poor girl subsumed by a Genius Loci consisting entirely of dolls.
"Make more of me, Alice..."
"Play with me, Alice..."
"Bring the nice person home with us, Alice..."

Or maybe she IS the Genius Loci in its larval stage. Oi.

>;A;
>;..;
Argh. See, this is another reason why emoticons are discouraged here, folks. You allow a little wink or something and then pretty soon people are using insane stuff like
;A; < priestesses dancing around a bonfire and
;..; < a tarantula looking at you. Totally unnecessary diversions, people.

Nah, I don't mean that, I'm just kidding around LOL ~<(*^::_H)>~d
>> No. 132415
SAN losses all around. Who would have guessed that such dedication to mastering puppets with magic could lead on repercussions during her sleep? Like giving substance to her dreams and nightmares with her beloved dolls?

Obviously neither the Wizard nor Duandor have gone on Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green -type adventures before, because this kind of stuff becomes routine after a while. Mostly because they aren't being aggressive towards the Agents, that's true, but sincerely it kind of loses its novelty after the first two times. It's still a bit creepy and you always keep watch on them (if you don't simply smash/burn every fucking doll you find), but possessed dolls usually range lower then Deep Ones Hybrids in my threat scale, and DOH are really easy to kill if you have a gun and see them coming.

That said, all adventurers/Investigators/Agents must remember that Fire is Humanity's greatest friend and ally against the Dark... unless you're fighting Fire Vampires, but that's another story altogether. Everything else burns quite nicely.
>> No. 132417
Or maybe she's just getting her kicks out of fucking with the dog-man.
Who knows.
>> No. 132419
>>132408
So what's your opinion on the burning away of another thread with only a few updates from all the superfluous discussion that would almost certainly be better off in the /words/ thread?

And an observation:
>Thread 01
12 updates sans opening post
>Thread 02
6 updates sans opening post
>Thread 03
6 updates sans opening post
>Thread 04
5 updates sans opening post
>Thread 05
3 updates sans opening post
>Thread 06
2 updates sans opening post
>Thread 07
3 updates sans opening post
>Thread 08
2 updates sans opening post
>Thread 09
2 updates sans opening post (Would've been 3 if someone hadn't gone full retard & forced the thread into autosage)
>Thread 10
2 updates sans opening post
>Thread 11
3 updates sans opening post

Goddamned double-edged swords.
>> No. 132420
>>132419
>superfluous discussion that would almost certainly be better off in the /words/ thread

Sure is push polling in here.
>> No. 132424
>>132420
>Sure is push polling in here
Whether or not it's superfluous is up to you, but holy shit, it is annoying to slog through it all. Regardless, his point is still a good one: keep it in /words/, goddamn.

>>132414
The only emoticons allowed here are the 4chan standard pair: namely, ;_; and ಠ_ಠ
>> No. 132437
If the superfluity bugs you, think of the growing percentage of the useless posts that are meta-useless posts.

>>132419
>>132420
>>132424
and this one, for instance.
>> No. 132448
>>132414
Maybe she forgot to take the strings off and is sleep-puppeteering. Or the dolls have become capable of independent action and are hiding it from her.
>> No. 132454
>>132424
The less posted in that /words/ thread, the better. Having to have another thread open is annoying. As long as nobody posts there, I'm not missing anything. This is a good thing.
>> No. 132455
>>132448
Magical "strings". I don't think she can take them off.
>> No. 132563
Happy New Year everyone
>> No. 132565
Happy New Years to all. To many more for all of us and good health to all.
>> No. 132590
Waiting eagerly for a new update, Demetrious~
>> No. 132625
>>132590
Agreed
>> No. 132626
Demetrious has killed a dragon and has been planeshifted to Gensokyo! Are you a depressed enough dude to go to Gensokyo and rescue the updates?
>> No. 132633
>>132626
Sure. If I'll be getting some bullshit hax powers once I'm there. If not? I'll need to get really drunk first.
>> No. 132681
A NEW THREAD COMETH

>>132680