[Return]
Archived Thread

File 128970542636.jpg - (20.61KB , 336x264 , BlackMage2.jpg ) [iqdb]
129398 No. 129398
Thread 1: >>123033
Thread 2: >>124226
Thread 3: >>124917
Thread 4: >>125518
Thread 5: >>126187
Thread 6: >>126955
Thread 7: >>127594
Thread 8: >>128755

In which a Wizard suffers the Hound Dog blues.


“Gods damn it,” you say, pausing in the hallway to lean forehead-first against the wall. “Dammit.”

And you thought she was going to be the defensive one, desperately reassuring you she’d never be a threat to you like Remilia was suggesting. What a laugh.

You shake your head violently, frustrated. You’re in no condition to kick cultist ass, not like this. You need to clear your head a bit. You need...

A drink.
Well, what you really need- and you damn well know it- is someone to talk to. Current options include the childish fairy, a loli-devil vampire, the Head Maid and resident Ice Queen, or the witch and door guard, both of whom you just freaked out.

As usual, alcohol is the path of least resistance. You stand up and stride down the hall a ways till you spot a fairy maid, whom you interrogate for directions to the kitchen. She gives them. You produce your Wand of Lightning Bolt and scowl fiercely, and she gives you directions again; this time, the right ones.

The kitchen proves to be cavernous, with long, black marble counters stretching away in every direction. Large cupboards and pantries abound, but on one side of the huge room you see four or five ice-boxes lined up against one wall. You stride over to them, and tilt your head quizzically as you examine them. The large sinks and faucets indicate plumbing of either the magical or Gnomish variety, so the thoroughly mundane ice-boxes are odd. There’s no reason a mansion of this size shouldn’t have a magical refrigeration unit like the one in Keine’s house.

Succumbing to your curiosity, you cautiously open the top door of the nearest ice-box and peer inside.

“P-PERVERT!” a little ice fairy screams, hastily covering her bosom. Before you can react, a large snowball smacks into your gob and knocks you on your ass. You hear the wooden door slam shut with finality.

“PHFFFFAARKCK,” you comment, spitting out the snowball. That’s what you get for curiosity. You try the main compartment, standing to one side cautiously as you do. Fortunately, it proves to be full of nothing but edibles. Rooting about inside, you find nothing of interest.

“Not in the mood for cold, anyway,” you mutter. The Scarlet Devil Mansion has actual wooden walls, glassed-in windows, and beds elevated off the ground, which induces you to hope they might also have- ah. In a dark, under-the-counter cupboard... fine Scotch.

“Victory,” you whisper, slipping the entire bottle into your pocket. A few minutes later, you’ve located the courtyard again, and are lifting off into the night. High above the Mansion, you pause to get your bearings. The brilliant waxing moon hovers just above the peak of a gigantic mountain, its soft quicksilver spilling down the steep flanks to shimmer across the lake’s surface.

Occasionally, you think, Gensokyo seems like a nice place to live.

You turn in mid-air, surveying the scene. From this altitude, you can see the faint glow of the human village, planted at the edge of the sprawling ‘Forest of Magic.’ The thick forest comes right up to the edge of the lake.

“Good a place as any,” you mutter, and swoop down towards the lake’s surface. Picking up speed in the dive, you level off only a few feet above the lake’s surface, enjoying the exhilaration of speed. There’s many compensations in a wizard’s life, but few can beat the power of flight.

Reaching the shore, you put on the brakes, and set down gently on the shore. Sighing, you retrieve the Scotch and take a sip. It’s crisp and strong; a good vintage.

You sigh, and start walking into the forest. The canopy begins to thicken almost immediately, long, crooked branches closing in on the moon and dappling its meager light. You take another pull on the Scotch, hoping the shock will slow down your spinning thoughts, but to no avail.

You lean against a tree. “I really need somebody to talk to,” you say miserably.

“What do you need to talk about?” the tree asks.

A long moment of silence ensues, during which you seriously consider talking with the tree.

You snort.

“Fuck. Me. Sideways,” you intone, and begin walking again. You’re desperate, for sure, but you draw the line at maples. It’s getting dark the deeper you go. Reaching into your pocket to retrieve your dagger, your fingers brush the edge of a scroll-case.

You pull it out, contemplating it, the germ of an idea forming in your head. It’s a bad idea. Which is pretty much the only variety you ever have, so why not? Opening the scroll case, you hunt around for the one you want, and pull it out, returning the case to your pocket. Tilting the parchment this way and that to read the runes in the lambent moonlight, you intone the words to Lesser Planar Binding.

For a few seconds, nothing happens.

Nothing continues to happen.

“Oh for fucks sa-” you’re saying when there’s a bright flash of light, and a mild thunderclap that merely knocks you on your ass. Blinking away the blindness, you look up and see the towering frame of a muscular humanoid; canine eyes glowing gold in the darkness as they peer down at you.

I AM DUANDOR. WHO CALLS?

“Good to see you too, Duke,” you mutter, laboriously rising from the ground.

“YOU!” the towering Hound Archon declares, stepping forward into a patch of moonlight. ‘Duke’ is a powerful humanoid, six feet tall, with the body of a man and a canine-like head and face. His perpetual, serious frown is still in place. You’ve never seen him without it. “ONLY ONE MORTAL WOULD DARE ADDRESS ME AS SUCH!”

“I’m standing right here, dude,” you point out.

“Apologies, my friend,” the archon says, this time at a tolerable volume. Duke turns, examining the thick forest. He immediately draws a massive sword from a large sheath on his back, the honed blade catching the faint rays of moonlight. “Show me mine enemy, so that I might bring justice upon-”

“Put away the hardware, man,” you say wearily, producing the bottle of Scotch. “No enemies here, I just need to talk with somebody.”

Duke’s perpetual frown deepens a little. “You were last seen locked in mortal combat with Lofforanrwenryrrrwharrgrrr, Scourge of the Northern Skies, Hated of the Dragon-Kin, Flenser of-”

“I know who he is!” you exclaim, and take a sip of the Scotch. “Update your lexicon, boyo, his one and only title now is ‘dead meat’.”

“Then you were victorious!” Duke says exuberantly. “There has been a great deal of unrest on the Materiel Plane following your disappearance with Lofforanrwenryrrrwharrgrrr. Why have you not returned to announce your triumph?”

“How do you know this?” you ask, puzzled.

“Lofforanr-”

“LOFFO,” you nearly growl. “Call the motherfucker Loffo, please.

“... Loffo,” Duke says, sampling the abbreviation with obvious distaste, “has- I mean, had- attracted attention even in Celestia. The Council of Seven decreed the situation was worth monitoring.”

“I thought extra-planar security matters were handled by the High Diet of Primarchs?”

“Yes, but they must consult with the Court of Radiant Justice. The Council of Seven operates more freely in espionage matters and internal security, but for actual extra-planar action must acquire the permission of the Divine Assembly of-”

“Yesyesthatsverynice,” you say hastily. Scotch isn’t strong enough for this shit. “Want a drink?”

Duke gives you a skeptical look. “What is the local time?”

“Not yet midnight.”

“Very well, then,” he says, accepting the bottle and downing about a fifth of it in one go. “A quality vintage.”

“To answer your question,” you say, “we’re currently in some kind of demi-plane. Loffo tried to Planeshift out, and when I tried to stop him, our respective Spell Turning effects misfired, sending us here.”

“You have no idea as to where in the planar cosmology you currently reside!?” Duke exclaims.

“Well, I have an idea,” you say. “A local schoolteacher explained that this demi-plane was erected to seal in an evil presence that was ravaging the mundane world. So it’s coterminous with a Materiel Plane.”

Duke’s frown deepens a little more. “Then returning to your homeland should be exceedingly simple!”

“Not really,” you explain. “According to the teacher’s description, and some artifacts of this world I’ve seen... it’s not our Material Plane.”

Duke’s eyes widen. “Then-!”

“Yeah,” you say dourly. “I’m clear on the other side of the Deep Ethereal, without a map.”

Duke frowns, puzzled. “But you were able to call upon my aid! Your spells seem to function flawlessly, despite the distance. Can you not simply return home?”

You shake your head. Duke’s a loyal and good-hearted companion, but the intricacies of magic escape him. “No, see... a summoning spell doesn’t actually translocate the subject of the spell, not permanently. The fabric of space-time is a possessive, selfish bitch; it doesn’t like to let go of things. So when you cast a simple summoning spell, you kind of...” you make a long, drawn out plucking motion with your fingers. “You create a wormhole of sorts, that pulls the subject to your location for a time. When the magic expires-” you snap your fingers- “the fabric of space-time snaps back, like a rubber band.”

“I see,” Duke says. “Have you attempted any translocation?”

“Yeah, I retrieved my emergency chest,” you say. “It took a good while to arrive, and that was just from the Negative Energy Plane, which is a lot closer, cosmologically speaking, then Celestia. The spell I used to call you usually lasts... with my ability, we’ll say sixteen, seventeen days. I’d be surprised if we got seventeen hours.”

“But the translocation of the chest worked,” Duke points out. “Why not attempt a Planeshift?

“Remember what I said about ‘sealing in evil’?” you point out. “Considering that the demi-plane barrier was specifically erected to keep things in, I’m not eager to try the experiment.”

“Point taken,” Duke says thoughtfully, stroking the underside of his muzzle. “In any case, my superiors will be greatly relieved to learn of the death of, er, ‘Loffo’. But until then, how may I be of assistance?”

“Well,” you say, “that schoolteacher I told you about.... she’s... like...” helpless, you resort to the Scotch.

Duke sniffs the air. “You smell of the human mating hormone. This schoolteacher, she is an attractive bitch, yes?”

You promptly choke on the Scotch. “Gods-dammit, Duke!”

Duke cocks his head in a most canine expression of puzzlement. “Problem, my friend?”

You peer into those glowing, golden eyes for a long, long moment.

“...you smug asshole.”

“I have no idea what you are upset about,” Duke says, a faint hint of satisfaction creeping into his voice. “I am unfamiliar with the cruder slang of your species.”

Hound Archons have a tongues ability, and he knows you know it. “Yeah, right,” you say. “Anyway. This teacher. I told her of my exploits, all the evil I’ve laid low, all the wrongs I’ve righted, and her response was... pity.”

Duke contemplates this, his golden eyes pensive.

“I mentioned the time I went to Howler’s Crag, in Pandemonium...”

“A particularly foolish venture,” Duke observes softly.

“Yeah, yeah, like I’ve never heard that before,” you say wearily.

“Foolish- but noble,” Duke says, clapping one massive hand on your shoulder. “A rare moment for you, but all the more powerful for it. She thought this significant, yes?”

You nod.

Duke nods with approval, and takes his hand from your shoulder. “Then she is wise- she understands the burden of the guardian. Why does this vex thee?”

“It’s-” you gesture wildly with the Scotch- “All the accomplishments, the victories, the evil and cruelty I’ve put an end to- that was worth something, dammit! That was worth something to me!” you say, thrusting your thumb into your chest. “I’m satisfied! I’m proud!

Duke nods, his frown a little deeper again. Human relationships aren’t his forte. “Then why are you agitated?”

“Oh hell, I don’t know,” you reply. “Maybe because she was implying I’m not, or shouldn’t be, and if you would be so kind turn around and tell me what in the blazing fuck is that.

Duke looks over his shoulder to follow your gaze. Almost at the limit of visibility, deep in the forest, is the merest suggestion of movement- a shifting of the shadows, the kind that are constantly manifesting in your peripheral vision in dark forests.

Except this one is right in front of you, and it’s truly massive, though it seems to move without sound. Something gigantic, striding through the haunted forest.

“And that,” Duke says in an uncharacteristically low voice, pointing off to one side. Deep in the gloom, a glowing light bobs up and down rapidly, like a lantern might in the hand of somebody moving with hustle. It doesn’t have the slow, tempting loitering activity of a will-o-the-wisp hoping to be seen.

Duke, who’s been in more then one dust-up at your side, silently draws his mighty sword and cuts his eyes at you in query. Strange lights and stranger shadows are wizard territory, in his opinion.



[ ] Get a good look at the massive stalker- from a safe distance, of course.
[ ] Intercept the lantern-wielder.

>> No. 129401
[x] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
>>129398
I like Duke already.
>> No. 129402
File 128970593094.jpg - (49.28KB , 540x476 , Archon.jpg ) [iqdb]
129402
For those of us who don't own 3.5 Monster Manuals- a visual.

RE: Planar cosmologies discussion from last thread. It's nice to see Anon paying attention to that kind of thing. I filled a notebook with the details of plot-related minutiae like that over a month ago, and it's nice to have readers who will justify the time investment.
>> No. 129404
File 128970699811.jpg - (12.56KB , 264x320 , Big_Dog.jpg ) [iqdb]
129404
>>129402
I love discreet references and details like that.

>Duke sniffs the air. “You smell of the human mating hormone. This schoolteacher, she is an attractive bitch, yes?”
Duke is among the manliest of non-men. Superior visual aid related.
>> No. 129405
[x] Intercept the lantern-wielder
>> No. 129406
[x] Get a good look at the massive stalker- from a safe distance, of course.

In shadows of an unrepentant night
A figure at the edge of human sight
Slips swiftly in and out of time and space
Appears and disappears without a trace
Beware the savage cry that rends the night
The seething form that swallows earthly light
The gleaming claws that carve the nightly feast
For nothing sates the endless hunger of the Shadowbeast
>> No. 129408
First, could anyone inform us of how high up a Hound Archon is in Celestial hierarchy? Powers, abilities, combat efficiency, etc. For those who are less knowledgable of D&D, this will be useful to determine our capacity to handle the possible danger before us.

Secondly, could those more knowledgable of Touhou identify the beings we might face by the choice posited to us? Knowledge is Power, gentlemen, and now is the time to share it if we are to make the wisest decision.

Thridly, summoning Morality Pet VI was a wise decision, it seems. Duke certainly cut through a lot of personal doubt for Wizardanon, simply by forcing him to talk openly to a third party. A shrewd mind would consider introducing Keine to him, as mayhap she would feel more able to ask questions to Duke that she would feel uncomfortable asking MC. Duke may likewise provide MC with a third party's point of view on the situation between him and Keine, something that we cannot rely on Cirno to do reliably.

Fourthly, even if we can learn Hadoken as a 9th level spell, I'm unsure that we should. It is powered by the Power of Love.
>> No. 129412
Blob of darkness could be Rumia, the bobbing light could be Wriggle and/or fireflies following here around. It would make sense for them to be seen together. That said,

[X] Intercept the lantern wielder.

Best to find someone to explain to us what's going on.
>> No. 129414
>>129408

>It is powered by the Power of Love.
>Now release your Annihilation of Love!

Now you know where Marisa stole the Master Spark.
>> No. 129416
>>129412
>fireflies following here around.
>here
Curses. I meant her.
>> No. 129417
Maybe the light is Keine following, but there's no reason I can see why she would thinks AnonWizard walked in the forest instead of flying over it.

[x] Get a good look at the massive stalker- from a safe distance, of course.

If the light is indeed Wriggle, chances are that she'll also call Rumia, if the other one is her. Better to observe first. Even if it's Keine meeting a non-friendly, she certainly can defend herself and Wizardanon could help with a surprise attack.
>> No. 129421
>>129408
Hound Archon:
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Hound_Archon

Summary for those who don't understand nerd-speak. Duke has a fairly decent but not overwhelmingly strong melee presence, capable of attacking with a Greatsword followed by a bodyslam or bite. He is particularly strong against evil-aligned creatures, and he makes a good tank by nullifying 10 damage of every hit, plus spell resistance. Hostile creatures that come within 20 feet must make a will save or suffer reduced stats for 24 hours, or until they manage to hit him on a per-enemy basis.

He has the ability to teleport both himself and Mr. Wizard anywhere within 100 miles provided he is familiar with the area... which he's not, so it's not an option right now. He can also Change Shape to an actual dog/wolf/similar as needed (can be dispelled with True Seeing), taking on the new form's bite attack to replace his Greatsword, while retaining most of his existing benefits (stats, saves, HP).


I suggest having him turn into a puppy at some point. Since Change Shape allows things to maintain their ability scores and spellcasting abilities, I expect his ability to speak clearly and intelligently will remain as well to qualify for verbal spell components. That opens quite a bit of possible pranking on Cirno and Keine.
>> No. 129423
[X] Intercept the lantern wielder.

Could be Alice driving stakes into dolls in the middle of the night. Since we were unable to talk to Patchouli, the opportunity to meet another non-hostile magic user is too good to pass up. If it's Wriggle, then we can just blow off some steam. If Rumia comes to aid, she can be dealt with with a simple True Seeing spell.
>> No. 129425
[X] Intercept the lantern wielder.
Our Wizard has riches and congratulations from gods themselves waiting for him in his plane... but it seems that Keine touched a delicate subject. I don't think he's going anywhere for a while, even if he knew how to go back.
>> No. 129426
[┼] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
-[┼] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy & how important it is.
>> No. 129428
>>129402

I was the one who brought up what I thought was the discrepancy with the performance of interplanar magic effects in the last thread, D, and I'm very happy that you put me in my place and cleared it up... in character, no less.

Without question, you are now one of my favorite storytellers I have had the pleasure of reading the works of. I wish that more people understood how to properly portray a character, do the proper research, and know how to talk magic-science the way you do. I imagine that an actual campaign GMed by you would be absolutely fantastic.

Seriously though, people don't know how to talk magic bullshit enough. Talking about interplanar cosmological relativity as though it were real, provable science is not something that just anyone can fake.
You have impressed me, sir.
>> No. 129430
[┼] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
-[┼] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy & how important it is.
>> No. 129431
No vote as to the main action, but definitely one for...
-[┼] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy & how important it is.
>> No. 129435
[x] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
-[x] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy & how important it is.

A very very delicate balance.
>> No. 129436
[x] Get a good look at the massive stalker- from a safe distance, of course.

look before you leap.
>> No. 129439
[X] Get a good look at the massive stalker- from a safe distance, of course.
-[X] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy & how important it is.
>> No. 129440
[x] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
[x] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy & how important it is.

Always bet on Duke's option

>>129421
Technically, Change Shape doesn't automatically provide speech to a form that would normally be incapable of it, and spells with somatic components require humanoid hands. It shouldn't affect him in a fight though; Unless he has class levels on top of his racial powers, Duke only has spell-like abilities. These require only concentration to use (If he does have class levels, he may have taken the Surrogate Spellcasting feat, which would allow him to cast spells as long as his assumed form can make any vocalizations at all and has something resembling limbs he can flail).
>> No. 129442
[X] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
-[X] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy and how important it is.

Just a minor suggestion, but: warn Duke not to kill anything first, then go find out what you're not killing (yet).
Then again, Hound Archons aren't stupid. I think he'll wait until Wizardnon identifies something as a threat before attacking, and if Wizardnon says not to kill anything Duke'll wait until after any fighting is over to ask why not.

Anyway, the lantern wielder would probably be easier to identify since it's not a giant blob of darkness, so that's a good start.
One known and one unknown is better than two unknowns regardless of whether or not either, or both, actually mean you harm.


I think it's Rumia and she will crash into a tree because she can't actually see though the darkness either.
Nah. Too slapstick.


>>129440
Hound Archons with any kind of advances, whether by racial HD or levels can't be summoned through Lesser Planar Binding.
It caps at 6 HD. Hound Archons always have at least 6 racial HD.
>> No. 129443
[X] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
-[X] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy and how important it is.
>> No. 129445
[x] Get a good look at the massive stalker- from a safe distance, of course.
-[X] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy and how important it is.

Probably just Alice, but hey...
>> No. 129447
>“Problem, my friend?”
Get the fuck out of here.

[x] Get a good look at the massive stalker- from a safe distance, of course.

I don't really understand how D&D works, but I know from Baldur's Gate that you can use a spell only once. We should keep them for the cult.
>> No. 129448
>>129447
I forgot to add:
-[X] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing policy and how important it is.
>> No. 129449
[x] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
[x] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy & how important it is.
God enough for me.
>> No. 129454
Going with >>129449
[x] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
[x] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy & how important it is.
God enough for me.
>> No. 129456
I just remembered.
As mentioned in the previous thread a Planar Binding spell is not just a transient spell like Summon Monster. It actually moves the target of the spell to that location.
Meaning Wizardnon hasn't summoned an image or "shadow" of Duke. He has moved the actual Duandor to Gensokyo.
Depending on how the Barrier works he might be stuck there too, now.
>> No. 129457
[X] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
-[X] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy and how important it is.

>You lean against a tree. “I really need somebody to talk to,” you say miserably.
>“What do you need to talk about?” the tree asks.

At first I thought we had stumbled upon some sort of rare talking tree. But now I'm considering that the tongues spell lets us speak to Gensokyo's flora.
>> No. 129458
>>129457
There could just have been some curious fairy/youkai in the tree.
Wizardnon heard a voice from the tree, but that doesn't mean it was the actual tree speaking.


Also, I happened to read the description of Plane Shift when double-checking Planar Binding for this >>129456.
"Focus: A small, forked metal rod. The size and metal type dictates to which plane of existence or alternate dimension the spell sends the affected creatures."
This is rarely a problem when you're using it as an offensive spell. Who cares where you send someone when you just want them gone?
But when you are going somewhere... Hopefully his chest has a rod keyed to his home plane, otherwise there's going to be a problem. Well, there's already a problem so there will be a bigger problem.

It might be easier to just research a Wish spell and click his heels together. (And then he reappears in Keine's house, because he asked to be sent to his home. GOOD END)
>> No. 129459
>>129456

Had me going there for a second, but it's explained pretty well in the previous update. See, we used Lesser Planar Binding to summon Duke, which sorta rips a hole in the space/universe or whatever, and stays open for that single thing until it has to return, so Duke here has a ticket home. We, on the other hand, used Plane Shift, which is similar but had different mechanics from what I know, and on top of that, Loffo fucked it up a bit, so we can't get back so easily. At least, that's what I caught from the mumbo-jumbo D&D shit they were talking about. Someone correct me if I'm off on anything.
>> No. 129462
>>129459
Deleted my old post. I missed the part where you mentioned that you don't really know the D&D mumbo jumbo, so I sounded like a bit of an ass in it.


I'll try to keep the mumbo to a minimum. Maybe just a bit of jumbo.

What Wizardnon is actually describing is a "Summon Monster" spell. It takes a few seconds to cast, calls a generic creature to fight for you for a minute or so, and then it poofs away.
Planar Binding is more like drawing a magic circle, lighting candles and incense, dressing up in funny robes, chanting "I summon thee!" and all that stuff.
It takes longer, but you get a more permanent effect. The spell's description even specifically mentions that the creature can break free of your spell and do whatever it feels like if you fuck up because it is actually, really there.

tl;dr
Duke is here and he doesn't have a guaranteed ticket home. He has a ticket, but it might not be valid.
>> No. 129463
>Duke sniffs the air. “You smell of the human mating hormone. This schoolteacher, she is an attractive bitch, yes?”

Acutally I think she'd be classed as a Heifer Duke, but you're awesome so we can overlook that.

[X] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
-[X] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy and how important it is.
>> No. 129468
[x] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
-[x] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy and how important it is.

> it seems to move without sound.
So Rumia figured out how not to hit the trees? Oh well, in the worst case, we can always cast magic missile at the darkness.
>> No. 129469
[x] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
-[x] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy & how important it is.
>> No. 129470
[x] Get a good look at the massive stalker- from a safe distance, of course.
-[x] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy & how important it is.
>> No. 129475
[x] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
-[x] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy & how important it is.
>> No. 129479
>>129442

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planarbindinglesser.htm

>Target: One elemental or outsider with 6 HD or less.

So a vanilla Hound Archon is well within his reach.
>> No. 129481
>>129479
Right; the point was that he definitely doesn't have any class levels.
>> No. 129502
File 128977661040.gif - (25.50KB , 600x263 , WIZARDS.gif ) [iqdb]
129502
I think this image is mildly appropriate for the situation.
>> No. 129512
>>129502
So, Wizanon really is an Angel Summoner.

I wonder what happened to all of our BMX Bandits.

Note to those who don't get the joke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw
>> No. 129514
>>129512

Poor BMX Bandit. He's so redundant.
>> No. 129530
File 128979453069.jpg - (4.47KB , 259x194 , images.jpg ) [iqdb]
129530
[x] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
-[x] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy and how important it is.
the real question is, are we man enough to stop the ultimate evil?
>> No. 129539
>>129530
>image
Oh jesus.

We probably could, seeing as we have the ability to cast 9th level spells.
>> No. 129545
>>129539
It may not be enough. We need even more dakka to handle... THAT!
>> No. 129556
[x] Get a good look at the massive stalker- from a safe distance, of course.
[x] Intercept the lantern-wielder.

We cant do both? :|



[x] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
>> No. 129558
>>129556
>We cant do both? :|
>:|
How the hell did you miss the rule thread? It was specifically put up so stupid shit like this doesn't happen.
>> No. 129561
>>129558
Perhaps it's because nobody's linked the rule thread in this story yet? Including you?

>>129556
>>/gensokyo/6052
Learn it. Know it. Live it.
>> No. 129571
Well, I guess the votes are in and all that remains is waiting for the update.

I hope you all chose wisely, friends. Mind, we shouldn't forget either the meeting with the Secret Society, nor to meet up with Keine beforehand (as she wants to come with us). The discussion on Invisibility and other subterfuges from the 8th thread will be useful then.
>> No. 129590
File 128985163693.jpg - (121.49KB , 512x512 , 3e4de1dbe979b675035b0ce3452defe9.jpg ) [iqdb]
129590
[X] Intercept the lantern-wielder.
[X] Inform Duke of the apparent No-Killing-Opponents-In-Fights policy & how important it is.


“The lantern,” you whisper. Duke nods, and hands his huge blade to you.

“Hold this.” You turn the huge weapon awkwardly, and slide it into your extradimensional pocket. Duke falls forward, catching himself on his palms. His red flesh seems to swim and flow, and within a second or two he’s become a large wolf.

“Subdue, don’t kill,” you whisper. “Local law.”

Duke nods his new wolf head once, and then springs away after the bobbing lantern, his paws ghosting over the debris of the forest floor with perfect stealth. You follow as best you can, keeping an eye out for brittle sticks that might trip you or snap loudly under your weight. The mottled moonlight sifting through the thick canopy fractures the night into a nightmare kaleidoscope, shards of shadow clashing with fragments of silvery effulgence. With all reference points lost in this sea of shades, a strange disorientation steals over you. Your only guideposts are the bobbing lantern, and the ghostly shadow of canine grace closing on it.

As you draw within earshot of the lantern-wielder, you hear a low, canine chuff.

“What the- what do you want, wolf?”

Slowing your pace, you pick your way through the last few yards, until the lantern-bearer and Duke become visible through the trees. To your surprise, the lantern is actually being borne by a small, levitating doll, hovering near the shoulder of a blonde-haired woman in a blue-and-white dress. She takes a hesitant step backwards, away from Duke, and he makes a petulant whine in his throat.

“I... I really don’t have time for this now,” she says apologetically, glancing over her shoulder.

“Relax, toots, he’s with me,” you say in a low voice, stepping into the circle of lantern-light- keeping one eye closed to preserve your night-vision. The woman takes another step back in surprise, and her doll shadows her movement.

“A-and who are you, exactly?” she queries.

“Nobody hostile,” you say. “Try and keep it down- and put out that damn lantern. Something ginormous this way comes.”

“Wha-what?” the girl says, horrified. You stride over to the lantern, open the door, and blow out the candle, plunging the little group into darkness.

“Why’d you do tha-” the girl protests before you press a finger against her lips, silencing her.

“Look,” you whisper, taking her chin and turning her head to look deeper in the forest. You open your good eye and close the night-blinded one, and soon your peripheral vision catches movement again.

Big movement.

The blonde, though her eyes haven’t yet adjusted, can’t miss the massive silhouette blocking huge swaths of moonlight-mottled forest as it takes mighty, massive strides through the trees. Now, a little closer, you can hear the swish of displaced branches as the figure moves through them.

The girl whispers something in a tremulous voice, under her breath.

“What?” you whisper.

“The- the Great Midsummer Youkai!” she whispers back with fearful awe.

“You don’t say,” you whisper, unimpressed. You’ve established the woman is just a passer-by, and gotten a possible name to go with the apparition. “Duke, I’m going to get a closer look.”

Duke cocks his head at you, chuffs in derision, and sprints past you, taking the lead. Not about to be left behind, you follow as best you’re able, cursing your omission of a scroll of Darkvision in your inventory. The blonde hikes up her dress and chases after you.

“Hey, slow down!”

“You’re night-blind,” you point out. “Here, take my hand, I’ll lead you.”

The girl pauses and gives your outstretched hand a suspicious look.

“Fine, stand here alone in the dark,” you say, shrugging, and turn to keep up with Duke. She relents, laying a hand on your shoulder to help guide her through the dark. Together you race through the Forest of Magic, pursuing a wolf pursuing a giant stalking shadow.

This seems perfectly ordinary to you. The tight grip on your shoulder indicates the blonde doesn’t share that familiarity. In the sea of shadows under the spreading branches of the Forest, time loses all meaning. When you eventually find Duke standing stock-still, staring into the gloom, you don’t know how long you were running, but your thighs are aching.

Warm breath on your ear. “We’re not far from the village,” the girl whispers, barely audible. You nod, and strain your eyes in the dark, trying to find your query, to no avail. Gently placing your hand on Duke’s ruff, you feel his raised hackles. His wet nose bumps your hand; a silent signal to answer your unspoken question.

It’s still out there.

You slip your Wand of Fireball out of your pocket, sorely tempted to put a blast into the treetops to illuminate your quarry. But you don’t know where it is. Employing an old trick taught to you by an experienced ranger, you sink slowly to your knees, then gently lean forward onto your palms, still staring ahead into the black.

There. Outlined against the faintly lighter hue of the sky, you see its silhouette, blotting out the stars as it moves to and fro. Its huge strides are unchanged, but it’s moving much slower now- seeming almost to pace back and forth. Placing your wand gently in your teeth, you commando crawl forward, shaking the blonde’s hand off your shoulder. Duke slinks along beside you, nearly on his belly. The giant creature continues its slow, pensive pacing as you and Duke draw ever nearer. Now you’re close enough to catch good glimpses when it passes through isolated rays of moonlight- enough to see that it’s tangible indeed; no summoning born of shadow. And no illusion would make tree branches crackle and whip as it brushed by.

Pausing, you pluck your wand from your mouth and again consider bringing light to the darkness. You aim your wand carefully- and pause. You’ve dealt with something like this before, yes- a Nightstalker, twenty feet tall, hunting through an ancient, twisted forest- but it was a brutal, grim battle you barely survived. Duke isn’t as survivable as you are, and you know nothing of the blonde’s abilities, though the doll seems to indicate she’s a spellcaster of some sort. You reluctantly pocket the wand.

The giant stalker quite abruptly turns and takes off into the forest again, at an angle from you. Duke springs to his feet and darts after it before you can even get to your knees. You try to pick your way forward as you did before, and soon realize that the stalker, and Duke, are already out of your limited sight.

“Where are you?” the blonde’s voice calls out weakly.

“Here, here,” you reply, cautiously slipping through the darkness towards her voice. You have some training in silent movement, and your dark robes with the slowly-shifting starscape on them blend into the fractured shadow/moonlight background well, so when you abruptly appear at her side, the girl fairly leaps backwards.

“I don’t bite,” you assure her.

“Where’d it go? Where’s your wolf?”

“It just... took off,” you say. “The wolf is following it. I couldn’t keep up.”

“I thought it got you...”

“I doubt ‘it’ ever knew we were here. What did you say it was, again?”
The girl wrings her dress between her hands in agitation. “I- I don’t know, exactly. It’s a rumor that’s been circulating for a while now. The ‘Great Midsummer Youkai.’ None of the rumors have much in the way of consistent, tangible detail, however.”

You rub your head miserably. “Well isn’t that delightful. On top of the timehax maids, loli vampires, kleptomaniac witches, and ghost attacks, now there’s a freaking giant stalker-of-the-night. I hate this place more with every passing second.”

The blonde girl lifts her chin a little as she studies you. “Who are you, anyway? Rushing through the Forest at night in that getup, with a wolf in tow?”

You introduce yourself. “I’m a wizard.”

“I inferred as much from the hat,” the blonde returns dryly. “You’re new here?”

“You know that big, dead winged lizard not far from the village?”

“No.”

You blink in surprise. “Well, that’s a first.”

“I rarely deviate from my studies,” the girl says primly. “Can we have some light, now?”

“Sure,” you say, beckoning at the lantern-carrying doll. To your mild surprise, she responds without a cue from her owner. You open the device, and point your finger at the candle within.

“Skadoosh,” you intone, and a jet of flame licks from your fingertip to the candle. In the lantern-light, you and the girl take a moment to study each other a bit more. She’s pretty, you decide, but she appears quite aloof- now that the threat is gone, at any rate.

A few moments later, Duke appears at the edge of your meager circle of illumination. He chuffs a greeting.

“How’d it go?” you ask. Duke cocks his head sarcastically, whines, and cuts his eyes at the girl.

“Oh, right. Ah, don’t be alarmed, but this wolf here is actually a shapeshifter-”

“Oh,” the girl says, surprised. “Well by all means, shift.”

Duke does so, standing a moment later at his full height. The blonde eyes him up and down, visibly taken aback despite the warning.

“I followed it for about three-quarters of a mile- I think- before it outpaced me,” Duke tells you.

“It outran you?”

“Yes. It was in great haste.”

You bite your lip, thinking. A giant humanoid- perhaps twenty-five feet tall, as close as you can estimate- takes a night-time stroll to the edge of the Forest, then loiters about like an old man pacing in his study, before fleeing with incredible speed.

“Let’s go to my house,” the girl says. “We can discuss this more there.”

“I’d love to,” you say distantly, your mind still churning over the strange behavior of the secretive giant, “but I’ve got an urgent appointment shortly, and-”

“You don’t have to stay long,” the girl says, glancing backwards through the dark forest. “Just long enough to tell you about the rumors.”

You open your mouth to politely decline when Duke shifts a little bit, catching your eye. He slides you the Look common to Lawful Outsiders, peace officers, and Boy Scouts across the planes. It’s the look of a man who is going to get a cat own out of a tree, and neither hell nor high water shall halt him.

There’s a nearly audible clunk as your clutch shifts from “combat” to “people skills,” and you realize that the girl wants you to walk her home. Given the new entity in the darkness, you can’t blame her. But if you oblige her, you won’t be able to get back to the Mansion and still make your midnight appointment. You’ve got an idea that might pacify Keine, an idea that involves Invisibility and a little skullduggery.



[ ] Escort the girl home. More friendly spellcasters is never a bad thing, and we need information.
[ ] Rush back to Keine and share your plan for her to accompany you to the meeting incognito. She’ll be unhappy if we rush into potential danger again without her at our side.
[ ] Write-in?
>> No. 129591
[X] Escort the girl home. More friendly spellcasters is never a bad thing, and we need information.

A hero never leaves a lady alone in the darkness.
>> No. 129592
[X] Send Duke back to the SDM to get Keine while you walk the girl back.
>> No. 129593
[X] Escort the girl home, send Duke to appraise Keine of the situation and your plan, have her meet you at a location somewhere closer to the cults arranged location.
>> No. 129594
[x] Rush back to Keine and share your plan for her to accompany you to the meeting incognito. She’ll be unhappy if we rush into potential danger again without her at our side.

Alice needs no escort. She is not some stuttering, whimpy wreck that needs someone to tuck her into bed.
>> No. 129595
File 128985270049.jpg - (285.22KB , 824x711 , 12862867427.jpg ) [iqdb]
129595
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.

Really want to make that appointment, and I don't anticipate any real trouble for the two of them on the way back anyhow. What was she doing stumbling around the forest in the first place if she's scared to walk back now, anyway?
>> No. 129596
[X] Escort the girl home. More friendly spellcasters is never a bad thing, and we need information.
If Keine or somebody else is scheming behind our back it is probably the best chance to know about it.
>> No. 129597
[X] Escort the girl home. More friendly spellcasters is never a bad thing, and we need information.
>> No. 129598
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
We should also make it so Duke can meet up with us again at some point. Perhaps through using telepathy or a similar spell to showcase the area around the SDM so that he can teleport back once he is finished escorting Alice.
>> No. 129599
[x] Keine has been a loyal friend and ally in this troubled time. Pay loyalty unto loyalty.

[x] Duke makes for a suitable escort against all things that would devour dollmakers in the dark, for he has night vision and a big sword.

Is it not said "You are a wizard and a gentleman, so if you can't be both at the same time, remember that you have summoning spells?"
>> No. 129600
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.

Really, the best option. Utilize Telepathy, if possible, to allow both you and Duke to teleport to the other if necessary.
>> No. 129601
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.

That would be best. Alice will probably not exactly be happy, but it's better than nothing and what Wizardanon is doing is more important.

And hey, if there's really trouble, she can fly away. If it's really a big monster, enough noise will attract others anyway.
>> No. 129602
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
[X] Use a Whispering Wind spell to give Duke the description of where he needs to teleport to, once you've retrieved Kiene.
>> No. 129603
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.

This is indeed the wisest choice, we would do well to follow it. A gentleman wizard can both escort a lady in need and return to the side of his wife dear friend Keine.
>> No. 129604
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
>> No. 129607
[X] Send Duke back to the SDM to get Keine while you walk the girl back.
>> No. 129608
>>129603
Addendum: We should give Duke a rallying point for after he's done escorting Alice home. Maybe he could just follow our scent to our meeting with the Society and wait in the woods until we're done. Would allow us to receive an update on the rumors while Keine is present and let her in our plans more.
>> No. 129609
[x] Escort the girl home. More friendly spellcasters is never a bad thing, and we need information.
>> No. 129610
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
[X] Use a Whispering Wind spell to give Duke the description of where he needs to teleport to, once you've retrieved Kiene.
>> No. 129611
[x] Escort the girl home. More friendly spellcasters is never a bad thing, and we need information.
I believe Alice usually carries a book with her?
>> No. 129612
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
[X] Use a Whispering Wind spell to give Duke the description of where he needs to teleport to, once you've retrieved Kiene.
>> No. 129614
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
[X] Use a Whispering Wind spell to give Duke the description of where he needs to teleport to, once you've retrieved Keine.

I doubt Duke would be able to enter SDM and find Keine.
>> No. 129615
[x] Escort the girl home. More friendly spellcasters is never a bad thing, and we need information.
>> No. 129617
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
[X] Use a Whispering Wind spell to give Duke the description of where he needs to teleport to, once you've retrieved Kiene.
>> No. 129618
[x] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
[x] Use a Whispering Wind spell to give Duke the description of where he needs to teleport to, once you've retrieved Keine.

Honestly if I were Mr. Wizard I'd be more concerned about giant invisible stalkers than some idiot cultist villagers. However, we have prior engagements, and if we disappear Keine is going to think we left without her and will probably break up the meeting.

The write-in is a good idea. Duke is almost as ignorant of Gensokyo's populace as the Wizard, so there's not much more chance for miscommunication than being there in person. Moreover, it's a show of good faith and mutual interest, and leaves us another line of inquiry with a native spell caster in Gensokyo, in case this opportunity with Patchouli and her library falls through. It might also help that she may not know we kicked Marisa's ass.

Leaving Duke with Cirno while we crash the cultists' party might give them some bonding time and I'd also feel better than leaving Cirno behind alone. Now we have a wife, a daughter, and a family dog!
>> No. 129619
[x] Escort the girl home. More friendly spellcasters is never a bad thing, and we need information.
>> No. 129623
[x] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
[x] Use a Whispering Wind spell to give Duke the description of where he needs to teleport to, once you've retrieved Keine.
>> No. 129624
[x] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
[x] Use a Whispering Wind spell to give Duke the description of where he needs to teleport to, once you've retrieved Keine.
>> No. 129626
>>129618
>a family dog
Whoa, whoa. Back up there, home-skillet. Treating Duke as a subordinate or pet would cheapen our entire relationship with him.

Duke has been with us through thick and thin. He was the first person we turned to when we were confused and hurt. Immediately upon summoning and getting his bearings, he was prepared to lay the smack-down upon our enemies. He listened patiently when we bitched about our situation, and even ribbed us about our girlfriend! He even helped us track down some giant 20 foot tall mother fucker, with nary a complaint. All of this, while slowly raising our spirits back into the good-natured asshole that we are.

Likening Duke to a pet dog would be an injustice upon everything that they share.

Bros for life.
>> No. 129627
>>129626
Then Duke shall be our best man during our wedding with Keine! And Cirno the bridesmaid!
>> No. 129632
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
[X] Use a Whispering Wind spell to give Duke the description of where he needs to teleport to, once you've retrieved Keine.
>> No. 129633
[x] Escort the girl home. More friendly spellcasters is never a bad thing, and we need information.
[x] But first, write a note to Keine, explaining what happened, and give it to Duke. If possible, place some kind of magic on it so you can teleport to it's location.
>> No. 129635
The Daidarabocchi is real! Cirno was right!

[x] Walk her home

If we can use communication spells to talk to Duke, we can use one to send a message to Keine and explain the situation.

Regardless of which option wins, I recommend a Sending rather than Whispering Wind, though.
Whispering Wind sends a message to a location, not a person. Not to mention there must be a clear way for an air current to get there.
We can't really use it to talk to Duke since we aren't familiar with the location (Alice's cottage), and there are several problems with using Whispering Wind for talking to Keine too.
The biggest problems are, first of all, that we have to guess her location. Probably her room, but we have no way of knowing whether or not the message reaches her. If it reaches her. Because, second, anything that stops a light breeze will stop the message. If we send a Whispering Winds we'd better hope she likes to sleep with her window open. And third, we have to hope that she isn't asleep or distracted because the volume of the message is about as loud as a whisper (duh). Pretty easy to miss.

Sending, on the other hand only has the restriction that you have to use 25 words or less. It makes sure that the person gets your message and that, if the person knows you, he or she knows that it was you who sent that message. It also allows our target to send a message in return. Again, 25 words or less.
Since I'm voting for walking Alice home, here's a suggested message for Sending to Keine.

"Took walk. Almost ambushed by large youkai. Ran into young woman. Walking her home in case youkai returns. Be back soon. Reply twenty five words."
>> No. 129636
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
>> No. 129637
[x] Escort the girl home. More friendly spellcasters is never a bad thing, and we need information.
>> No. 129638
>>129635

I like this. It lets us and Duke provide a solid escort while apprising our friends of the situation.

SENDING IS GO.
>> No. 129640
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
>> No. 129641
You know what? I'll support this.

[x] >>129635

After we get Alice to her house, we can teleport ourselves and Duke to a place near the village, like the hilltop where we met Youmu earlier, and we can inform Keine to be at that location to meet us. It also enables us to observe the route to Alice's place so we can find our way there again by foot or teleport in the future. It's nice to have more safe drop-off points to choose from.
>> No. 129644
Guys, what happens if the message is intercepted, whatever the method? Remilia wants to build distrust between Wizard and Keine, so the message beign intercepted is definitely possible. It's too risky.
>> No. 129645
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.

Really, the best option. Utilize Telepathy, if possible, to allow both you and Duke to teleport to the other if necessary.

Because as others have pointed out, A Whispering Wind may not work and a Sending is not enough information.
>> No. 129648
Going with >>129635
[┼] Walk her home
-[┼] Send Keine a Sending

It's kind of tempting to suggest she meet us somewhere to be invisibled though if she's to accompany us to the meet.

And showing up to the meeting late shouldn't be a problem.
>"Had to avoid a fuckhuge youkai in the forest."
Sure they'll understand. This is Gensokyo after all.
>> No. 129649
So, we are in (general) agreement? We send Duke to escort Alice and go back to Keine ourself, while using a communication spell to maintain contact with Duke.

Shall we call the vote to an end and await the next update?
>> No. 129650
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
I know that he's an outsider, not an animal, but do this kind of summons have some kind of empathy link? You know, to know if he's intercepted (Yeah, like that's going to happen)
>> No. 129652
>>129650
I don't think they do. At least, I've never seen such a link appear with a Lesser Planar Binding before, but I could be wrong.
>> No. 129653
>>129649
No one can call a vote to an end except for the author himself. Stop that.
>> No. 129654
>>129627
It is for people like you that I really hope this has a "kill 'em all" style ending.
>> No. 129658
>>129654
Now, now, no need to become Tomino. Let's not go "Caedite eos." simply because of a few fanboys.

Similarly, talking about marrying anyone is off-topic at this point, or any other I would wager. Let things progress naturally before going off into wild phantasms.
>> No. 129662
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.

Duke is the one sending meaningful looks about walking her back. Give him what he wants. Not only do we score points with him for getting the job done, but also give him the job he'd personally enjoy more. Every little bit counts when he evidently has an in with the section of Celestia that just started paying more attention to us (which is odd since the wiz seems more chaotic good than lawful good). Besides that, we don't want to give him the teasing material he'd get if we sent him to Keine.
>> No. 129663
[x] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.

Sending sounds nice. Can the response be delayed as needed, or does the target have to respond ASAP?
>> No. 129666
Could we use encountering the midsummer youkai as an excuse to be late to the secret meeting? It's big; maybe they saw it too.
>> No. 129667
>>129666

Maybe they would buy it but... The problem is that even if they gave a location for a meeting, that doesn't mean everything will happen there. If they need to get somewhere else, we're screwed. So we really don't want to be late.
>> No. 129671
>>129652
There is no such connection with Planar Binding. It only calls the creature, everything else is up to the wizard.

>>129644
Sending cannot be intercepted. Maybe it can be blocked if the target is within an anti-magic zone or something like that, but it can never be captured or even overheard.
The recipient just knows that you sent them a message and what it is.
Whispering Wind can be overheard, if they are in the same room as the target, and it can be blocked by closing doors/windows so the wind cannot reach the target.

>>129663
The answer has to be sent when the message is received. I guess it could probably be delayed a minute or so, so the message can be composed but either you send a reply or you don't. You can't wait until later.


I'm trying to find a spell that might work better than Whispering Wind (too many problems) and Sending (too short), but I can't find anything. I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be some sort of telepathy spell, but I can't find it.
Fucking wizards tacking their names on their spells. Can't find it under "T" for "Telepathy" because it was under "R" for "Rary's Telepathic Bond".
It has a duration of 10 minutes per level, meaning we should get one and a half hour. (I'm assuming he's casting it from a scroll that is as cheap as possible. If he has a more expensive scroll, or has it prepared himself, we can get up to roughly three hours.)
We can't use it to communicate with Keine, because the targets can't be more than 30 feet away from each other at the moment of casting.
We can use it on Duke, though. Once cast, it has unlimited range as long as he doesn't return to Celestia or something.

tl;dr
Telepathy works with Duke, but Sending is still the best option for sending a message to Keine.
>> No. 129678
[X] Send Duke to walk the girl back while you head back to the SDM to get Keine.
>> No. 129680
>>129671
Then Rary's Telepathic Bond it is. The point of this is to allow us to coordinate with Duke while we go get Keine at the SDM. There is no need to use Sending; more then that, Keine wouldn't know how to react to suddenly receiving a message by Sending and could miss the timeframe for the reply message due to her surprise.

Speaking of surprise, considering that Alice was taken aback by Duke's real form, I wonder how Keine will react to him. Or when he'd tell them he's from Celestia.
>> No. 129681
[x] Walk her home
-[x] Send Keine a Sending
>> No. 129682
Well, no matter which option wins: if we're splitting up with Duke, cast Telepathic Bond. Regardless of who goes where.

>>129680
I don't think people will be that surprised or scared by his appearance as long as they see him in that form first.
Alice just wasn't prepared for it. When Wizardnon told her that Duke was a shapeshifter, she probably expected him to look like a little girl. You know, just like everything else with weird powers in Gensokyo.
>> No. 129685
Also adding: Considering how the last discussion between them ended, wouldn't it be more polite for Wizard to go there himself? Last thing he said to her was that he could handle himself. Sending Duke to get her would... Well, I think she would have some words for us.

Plus, Wizard will need time (as they go to the meeting place) to first clear things up with Keine then explain the plan.
>> No. 129687
[x] >>129662

>>129658
Even in serious stories romance talk happens due to bored, impatience anons.
>> No. 129688
Calling the votes now- Head back to the SDM in person, and let Duke escort Alice home, with a rendezvous arranged later via Sending.
>> No. 129690
>>129688
>Calling the votes now

Hooray!
>> No. 129693
>>129690
Hooray is used only when they specifically say writing. You're overusing it, man.
>> No. 129699
>>129696
Huh, looks like we're pretty fucked unless we do some damage control.
>> No. 129702
>>129696
Spoiler tag that, buddy.
>> No. 129703
>>129702
I'm not your buddy, pal.

For those who don't visit /blue/:
http://touhou-project.com/blue/res/1868.html#2066

Goddammit we triggered the Youmu death flag. On the other hand, time to plan is a wizard's greatest asset. I'm not really sure what the best course of action would be at this point though.
>> No. 129704
>>129703
I thought we were only one step closer to such a thing, not that it was fully activated. Seesh, we certainly took the bait on that.
>> No. 129706
>>129703

Ha ha wow.
>> No. 129708
>>129703
Reading that post, we have to figure out how to take care of that problems.
>> No. 129715
File 128990545858.jpg - (66.06KB , 576x423 , youmu shock_1.jpg ) [iqdb]
129715
>>129703
>>129704
>>129706
>>129708

It's our own fault for boasting at the table. We gave into our ego rather than keeping up the wildcard thing we had going for us; we're an unknown variable, and people don't know what to expect from us yet. If they expect us to be *dangerous,* a well-experienced adventurer who can kick ass and take names, well..

We may, in hindsight, feel that we one-upped Remilia, but in actuality we fell right into her trap. She's starting to get a pretty good idea of *exactly* what we're capable of

In the future, we need to be more careful with our words. Especially around Patchouli, since we're probably still gunna be checking out the library
>> No. 129716
>>129703
Well, gents. Our next decisions better be going towards some Damage Control.
>> No. 129719
>>129708
Keine is able to hold him back some, so sticking around with her will be wise in the long run. We just have to talk to her about it and admit Wizardanon has a problem with RAEG. Admitting you have a problem [hope] is the first step [on the road to disappointment] towards fixing it and Keine is ready to help us fix it, we just need to make some steps towards it.

I suggest that the next day, that is to say after we've spoken to the Society and slept, be consecrated to discussing these issues with our companions and fixing them (while visiting the Library. We will not cause the death of Youmu if it can be avoided.
>> No. 129720
>>129716
As sad as it is, we may need to get our ass kicked around to humble WizardAnon. In any case, we need to stop picking fights on the way, starting now unless it's something that can't be avoided.

If we're lucky enough that the cultists wake up something bad that night. We might want to simply hold it until, say, Reimu arrive. It's her job after all.
>> No. 129721
File 128990821197.png - (75.94KB , 160x160 , 1276227899348.png ) [iqdb]
129721
>>129716

I try to avoid metagaming like the plague, so let me lay this out really clearly for you:
MC has no reason to think he needs to get damage control for his situation, yet.

In-character, so far, there's been no evidence that what he's doing is going to result in catastrophic failure.
He doesn't have the metagame knowledge of the Touhou characters that we have, he can't see or understand, necessarily, how the other characters in the setting actually respond to the way he acts, and although he's shown that he taps the fourth wall from time to time, and is fairly genre savvy, it's for the wrong fucking genre.

MCWizard is not an empathetic kind of guy. Of all the things he's done so far in this story, empathy towards the feelings of the other characters is a pretty new thing, and clearly something uncomfortable for him, especially because of the somewhat sporadic nature of the voters.

He has no idea what lies ahead, and it's bad enough that we use meta knowledge to try and lead him to interact with certain characters, or treat the characters we meet in a certain way. This is something that can't really be avoided considering the context of the story.
Still, the line has to be drawn, because trying to exploit metagame knowledge of possible repercussions of MC's actions, based on what D has said, and based off of knowledge of the characters that we simply don't have, is exactly the kind of thing that ruins a perfectly good story.

It would be as though we dumped this character into Faerun instead of Gensokyo, and decided to have him run off to kill "meet" Drizzt and then go befriend Elminster so he'll give us shit.

No.
>> No. 129725
>>129703
Reading a bit of that thread.
To me it looks mostly like anons and a few mods bitching back and forth whether or not stories should be deleted because someone might find them "bad".
I'm gonna read the whole thread from the beginning though. Get a clearer picture of it.

Personally, I like this story and would be sad to see it end before Demetrious says it's done.


Anyway, back "on topic".
Damage control is good. Hopefully Duke will stick around for a while and help Wizardnon work out some of his major issues, before things go that bad.
>> No. 129726
>>129725
Aye, now we have Duke hopefully MC Wizard will have something of a moral keystone - so that he doesn't keep flipping out and blowing things up. In most adventurers, a hair trigger is a good survival instinct but it doesn't half mean social problems and I think that's what we're seeing here.
>> No. 129727
I'd also poin out that maybe the Rory's Telepathy or whatever the wizard has on hand migh allow Duke to fufill his original purpose of letting the wizard talk about what happened tonight
>> No. 129728
>>129725
Life was crap for him, he has at least Keine and Cirno now to keep him in check and help him work on his Problems.
I am for helping him. Not making a sudden oh shit i was bad, time to change myself but slowly making him see that there are other ways too. So yeah, Damage control.
>> No. 129731
You know...

Pretty much his whole argument every time he gets into a shouting match so far is "don't underestimate me just because I'm a human". His goal with Remilia wasn't to prove he could beat her (he probably can't and they both pretty much know it), it was to prove that picking on him, preying on him, would be more trouble than it's worth, that the "probably" in that last sentence is uncertain enough that she shouldn't take the risk. That was the reason for the Boast; it was nipping the whole cat-and-mouse game by showing that Wizanon also has blooded fangs.

Maybe Wizanon is picking fights with things that could spank him, but on the other hand, he's been limiting his arsenal too. When touhou's duel, it's danmaku, danmaku everywhere. Wizards point and shout ZAP until someone is dust in the wind. Or they shout "Trap the Soul" or "Finger of Death" or "Undeath to Death" until somebody's gone.

And even then, even then, Wizanon is operating in a paradigm where "True Resurrection" exists.
>> No. 129732
>>129703
I figured we triggered that flag when we decided to go to the SDM. How many people in Gensokyo are frequently portrayed as spoiled enough to chide you for not letting her get her way? There are a few you could argue are like that, but Remilia's the most obvious candidate.
>> No. 129733
>>129721
Point worth making. On the other hand, we did have the Youmu dying dream which shook the MC earlier, so it might be enough of a reason to be more careful when Youmu is thrust into a dangerous situation. Maybe Duke and Keine can be our conscience, too.

>>129731
>True Resurrection
Oh, you just had to mention the elephant in the room, didn't you?
>> No. 129736
>>129721
>>129728
I agree.

Wizardnon does not know that he needs damage control. Trying to force damage control on him is meta as fuck. Not to mention that even if we do vote for at least minimizing the collateral damage, it will take time for him to reach even the point where he can start dealing with his problems. Let alone fix them.

On the other hand, some posters can be a bit slow and might not have realized just how deep a hole Wizardnon is digging for himself. Like me.
So it's a good thing that the subject was brought up, or simple ignorance might have lead Wizardnon into a BAD END nobody wanted just because we didn't see the signs.

That's why I hope Duke will stick around. He could be the "little angelarchon on his shoulder" to help Wizardnon at least walk in the same direction as the straight and narrow.

Hell, I'm half wondering whether or not it would be a good thing for him to fuck up. Bad.
As in "oh shit, it came true"-bad.
Without someone, or something, to smack him upside the head and say "take a good look at yourself and what the hell you're doing!" he will be heading towards a bad end.
While I believe Demetrious to be a good enough writer to make that end interesting to read, I would still prefer to see Wizardnon shape up and straighten out his problems.


>True Resurrection
Doesn't matter, becase there are no D&D clerics around to cast it.
>> No. 129738
>>129736
Wish can emulate True Resurrection. I would be surprised if he doesn't have that. On the other hand, I don't think you can revive the undead (a second wish may be able to get around this but not easily) and Youmu is well, half undead, so it might work badly or not at all.
>> No. 129739
>>129736
Resurrection is lvl 7 so you can cast it with Wish and so long as you're lvl 2 or higher has no side effects that can't be fixed with time and dungeoneering.
>> No. 129740
>>129736

It is my opinion that a hallmark of good storytelling, whether it be in writing or GMing, is that if the main character fucks up, he should eat the consequences.

Some of the best stories in campaigns I've been in over the years have been the ones where we make a decision, even a good decision, but because of something we didn't do, bad shit happens.

So I agree that if MCWizard keeps being a dick, thinking that he knows best, and guides himself into trouble, he deserves every ounce of face-pounding he gets.
A perma bad ending would probably leave the readers sour, but losing important things (or people) as a result of fucking up, and only surviving on a fluke or because someone intervened, would be a good thing for the development of the character and the story.

Especially considering that MCWizard has sort of been displaying an attitude as though the other characters in the world are NPCs. In his head he probably doesn't think that way, but that's just something that comes out in his actions. He thinks that other people are simple or predictable, as though they're following scripts (that he is in control of) rather than having free will and the means to think as dynamically as he figures he does.
>> No. 129741
>Not to mention that even if we do vote for at least minimizing the collateral damage, it will take time for him to reach even the point
Pretty much this. You need to stay in Character. All we can do is to vote it so that he realizes that being too agressive and a dick is not good. The way i see it he is making most of his problems himself with just the way he is.

At least we we have Remilia and co as enemies now. He may be able to beat them but then the next enemies will be waiting and so on and on. It will never end that way. He will spend his whole Life fighting and fighting without joy for anything. And then it is only a small step from Hero to Villain.
>> No. 129745
>>129658
I guess I came across a bit more bitter than I had intended. Naw, it'd be hilarious to see the (possible) bitching and moaning that would come from that kind of ending.

And the fact that I personally prefer those types of endings probably factored into it.

I suppose it's just my preferred "route", except instead of "KEINE WAIFU" I prefer "EVERYBODY DIES".
>> No. 129747
>>129741

Enemies seems a bit far for to me at the moment frankly he was a bit arrogant yeah and didn't show them much respect, but I'm not sure how that then goes directly to "deadly blood feud". I mean you'd think if he really offended or ticked them off they'd have either attacked or kicked him out right then. A first impression of a sort was clearly formed, but it was just that a first impression.

The ball might be in motion toward a bad outcome, but "always in motion the future is" as a wise muppet once said. I kinda have a hard time buying that deciding to do a bit of in the end mostly harmless boasting when particularly invited too was somehow such a horrendous awful mistake that it will lead to inevitable disaster. Perhaps it was the first step on a long winding path to that outcome, but it's hardly too late to step off that path.

I also happen to think that getting off that path is entirely possible while staying in character by simply realizing the character’s issues and selecting votes that address them. At least I hope so since being screwed over as the result of a seemingly minor choice that gave no indication it was some critical tipping point would be pretty damn dickish IMO. (Regardless of how such things can happen in reality because this ain't that)
>> No. 129750
>>129732
No...I think I can see it now. Even if we piss off Remilia, do you think she'll disrupt the power balance and get the rest of Gensokyo (Yuyuko and Yukari by proxy in particular) pissed off at her?

No, it's not Remilia. It's Flandre! Flandre, who is now interested in us because of the boast.
>> No. 129753
Being rather unfamiliar with touhou (though enjoying this fic) I'd also add that the author doesn't necesarily need to follow the typical plot and event triggers, merely use the setting. Remember, the wizard is a spanner in the works and everything has derailed as butterflies flutter their wings and hurricanes form across the globe. On the other hand, events that the wizard's presence wouldn't affect ... wouldn't be affected. Basically what I'm getting at is that the story should be self consistent, events building on the logical repurcussions of previous events.

I'm still wondering why our rather chaotic wizard is aligned with Lawful Good though
>> No. 129754
>>129753
Because people can be good friends, even if they don't always see eye to eye on everything?


>>129740
Like I said. I'm not sure I want him to fuck up that badly, but it might be what he needs to see where he's going.
I agree that if he does fuck up, he should take it like a Wizard.
Pussy out and rewrite reality so everything was always fabulous for ever and ever.

I mean take it like a man by admitting he has problems, and then dealing with them.

Yeah, I'm not too big on the "make a Wish" idea.
I don't think people are actually 100% serious about it, but I really don't like it anyway.
Mostly because it feels like a giant meta cop-out. "Lol, my fuckups mean nothing because I can just hi-jack reality and then go on a dungeon romp to deal with the XP cost".
Resurrections are okay in D&D because the game is more or less based around "You and your friends are in a tavern and have known each other for years when you suddenly decide to go murder a tribe of monsters for loot and experience."
In a story like this, though. Bypassing even death with a snap of his fingers really cheapens the plot and makes you wonder why he was so worried about it in the first place.

Not to mention, that spell always bites you in the ass. One way or another. Even when working within the suggested limits, there is always the "be careful what you wish"-clause to worry about.
Sure, the description specifically states that it can recreate the effects of a Resurrection spell, but you're still not casting a Resurrection spell. You are making a wish.
No matter what you wish for, or your reasons you are still fucking with reality itself.
You are stealing from fate and time and space and all the other clingy and jealous bitches that decide what will and won't happen.
Somewhere down the line, they will send the metaphysical equivalence of a guy with a baseball bat aimed at your kneecaps to warn you not to fuck with their business.


Man, there is something about this story that makes me throw GIANT WALL OF TEXT! everywhere.
I guess I just really like it.
>> No. 129757
>>129754
>take it like a Wizard
I don`t think he be able to act so.
Atleast so far wizard did not show strong character at all.
>> No. 129758
I wasn't wondering about Duke, I was wondering about the various organizations mentioned here:

“... Loffo,” Duke says, sampling the abbreviation with obvious distaste, “has- I mean, had- attracted attention even in Celestia. The Council of Seven decreed the situation was worth monitoring.”

“I thought extra-planar security matters were handled by the High Diet of Primarchs?”

“Yes, but they must consult with the Court of Radiant Justice. The Council of Seven operates more freely in espionage matters and internal security, but for actual extra-planar action must acquire the permission of the Divine Assembly of-”
>> No. 129759
Whoaa guys hold your horses! How many days has it been since I last checked this thread? 1/3?
>> No. 129760
>>129758
The Council of Seven probably refers to the Celestial Hebdomad, the rulers of Celestia. At least that's what I'm guessing, because Mount Celestia is divided into seven layers. So any council dealing with Archons and referred to by the number seven would probably be Celestials.

Can't find anything about Court of Radiant Justice, Divine Assembly of X or High Diet of Primarchs. But, on the other hand, I'm not really looking that hard. (Five minutes on google.)
I guess I could try digging through Manual of the Planes or whatever that book is called, but they could just be names Demetrious made up and I'm rather lazy.
>> No. 129762
>>129754
>Sure, the description specifically states that it can recreate the effects of a Resurrection spell, but you're still not casting a Resurrection spell. You are making a wish.
Irrelevant. It's not RAW that Wishes go bad as if they were interpreted by a malicious and retarded DM.
>> No. 129763
>>129759
True, true. It's only if we continue going into things the way we are now that the worst will happen. It's nowhere close and we should still be able to avoid it if we try to avoid mistakes.
>> No. 129765
>>129762
Because that was my main argument for why I don't like the "use a Wish spell" idea, and not just an afterthought.
I don't like the Wish spell because it would cheapen the plot and make all kind of tension irrelevant, because it can just fix everything forever.

If Wizardnon fucks up, he should deal with his problems. Not just Wish them away.
>> No. 129766
I don't think we need to be that worried. Keine's sympathy and compassion (it wasn't pity) already shocked him something fierce by reacting in a way he didn't foresee (like a NPC). Wizard already respects her enough to heed her council (sometimes) and having her question his single minded pursuit of magical mastery and the destruction of evil will force him to think about his life. She obviously finds it sad that he has nothing in his life other then scars, magic and regrets about friends lost and will probably try to get him to consider other pursuits and ways to make a difference. He's just about ready to listen to her when she'll propose that.

We only need a good moment to discuss things with Keine comprehensively and without interruption. The next day will probably be the best time for such a discussion, especially if Duke is still around to mediate the discussion, help calm the Wizard if he gets frustrated, break through awkward silences and clarify things the Wizard may forget to elaborate. That both the Wizard and Keine want (and need) to talk about it makes things much easier.
>> No. 129767
>>129766
I think way too many of us went nuts at the words 'death flag trigerred'.

But yeah, we have a chance. Let's not mess it up.
>> No. 129768
What I've been saying is that there is no flag to trigger, because this isn't the game anymore. We're not bound by the script otherwise we might as well have just played the game instead of reading this
>> No. 129770
>>129768
In a way there still are "flags" because depending on what we choose to vote for, Demetrious will take the story in a different direction.
The difference is that, unlike a game, this isn't "did you do X? yes/no If yes then Y, if no then Z". We can directly affect the story ourselves with a popular write-in and take it in a completely new direction.
Even just by discussing all this, we make known what we want to happen, don't want to happen, what we're worried might happen and so on. Demetrious can then take all this into account when the next update is posted and alter the story accordingly to make the experience more interesting for everyone involved.

Worrying about "triggering" said flags is rather pointless, though.
Since we're discussing this openly in a place where The Powers That Be (i.e. the writer) can read it all, we could get thrown for a loop just because we're talking about the "flag" in the first place.
>> No. 129780
Which was kinda my point too.
>> No. 129784
>>129741
>He may be able to beat them but then the next enemies will be waiting and so on and on. It will never end that way. He will spend his whole Life fighting and fighting without joy for anything.
Isn't this what his conversation with Keine was about? This is why we need to stick with her.
>> No. 129790
I think that this entire thing with Duke and Keine might be a good setting for character development, as Wiznon realizes -some- of his flaws, but metagaming ruins fiction in the first place - willing suspension of disbelief is an integral part to enjoying a good fantasy story, and if we're too busy using OOC knowledge to aim for a good end, we won't have as much real character development. I like Youmu, and DEFINITELY don't want to see her die, but it could prove an incredibly momentous event for Wiznon that marks the point where he finally comes to terms with his flaws... or where he snaps and kills everyone. The difference is subtle at times.

tl;dr slowly developing into a better person is good, metagaming can go die.
>> No. 129792
>>129736 I'm not so sure he does need to shape up. I'm sort of assuming that Wizardanon is meant to be a player character style wizard. They get away with shit they shouldn't. It's a fact of D&D. Admittedly, with Charisma at flat he should, probably, be less of a jerk, but eh.

He's definitely flawed, but that makes the story interesting, and his jerk-nature is an accurate reflection of group-D&D player actions.
>> No. 129799
Why are people so hung up on the library he himself said "People that try to reinvent the wheel are called idiots" and isn't most real world magic attempts to one up earlier spells?
>> No. 129804
>>129799
...That's WHY we want library. So we don't HAVE to reinvent the wheel, and can instead just rip of-err, learn from existing magic there.
>> No. 129805
I also want to see some situations where we're able to casually read some texts that Patchy took months or even years to decipher and learn from in the past. Sure it might set her into a fit of either rage or tears, but I still want to see her reaction to our mastery of the arcane magicks.
>> No. 129806
>>129805
>I also want to see the MC being a complete Mary Sue and showing up all those stupid dumb Touhous.
You're an idiot.
>> No. 129807
>>129805
...And she has mastery in areas we don't. I would say it'd be more of a give and take thing. We can probably casually read some stuff, but then she has a massive and century-long mastery of certain forms of Touhou-native magic that we don't know shit about. There's a lot of room for us to learn from her, as well as vice-versa to an unknown degree.
>> No. 129809
>“Yes. Patchouli has spent most of her hundred years in that library, reading books and writing new ones. They say it has more texts then you could hope to read in three- ah, you’re drooling.”
>”I.. what? Whoops,” you say, dabbing at your mouth with a napkin. “If I could get into that library, it might be worth the risk of dining with vampires.”
>“Why?” Cirno asks, puzzled. “I thought you couldn’t make any sense out of that stuff.”
>“That’s my problem,” you explain, producing the spellbook of unknown authorship you lifted from Marisa’s house, and tapping the cover. “This isn’t Marisa’s. But I need to find more books like this- or better yet, the author, preferably in a mood to talk- because if I can’t unravel the way magic works in this place, I’ll never be able to get a Planeshift spell to get me home.”

I get the feeling some of us are losing track of the MC's motivations. I won't argue that it is fun to see Wizanon do his thing flexing his magic and mind games, but lets keep in mind our goals. We came to SDM for the librarian. Not only for what she knows about local magic, but we also suspect her of scrying on us earlier.

>“A pretty short list,” Yuyuko says thoughtfully, pursing her lips in thought. “My friend Yukari, though she’s not very active at the moment. There’s Alice. Possibly Byakuren. Marisa, whom you’ve, ah, met. And Patchouli Knowledge, of the Scarlet Devil Mansion.”

Interestingly, Alice hasn't given her name to Wizanon yet. Wonder how he reacts. Given how's shes been acting, she probably isn't our scryer.
>> No. 129813
>>129809

Alternately, Alice might be smarter than you give her credit for. I mean, she is an expert puppetmaster (oh god I actually made that joke)
>> No. 129818
>>129809
Because there can only be one Alice in the entire world. It's not as if some random person can have the same (very common) name.

I'm guessing Wizardnon will, at most, put it aside as something to maybe check later.
Even if she were to introduce herself, she has shown no real sign of being a magician. There is her doll, but that's no more proof of being a magician than Sakuya's time-hax.

Considering that she didn't even know about the dragon, the chance of her being the scryer is nonexistent. Unless she's lying, of course, but so far we have no real reason to be suspicious of her.
>> No. 129819
>>129818
Except Gensokyou is very Japanese-themed; it might be common in Western countries, but, even if her appearance isn't very weird, what with the youkai and such, her name probably is. Notice how many characters with Japanese names vs characters with Western names.
>> No. 129822
>>129813
Nah. Unless Demetrious is changing up the canon a bit, Alice fully believes in the "Giant/Great Midsummer Yokai" so she's at least being honest at her surprise at the giant shape just now.

That doesn't exclude her from potentially being the scryer, but at least this particular encounter wouldn't be part of some plot on her part.
>> No. 129823
>>129822
Alice did say she was too busy with her studies to notice the whole dragon incident.
>> No. 129827
File 128996752529.jpg - (61.67KB , 294x294 , 1288878795033.jpg ) [iqdb]
129827
>>129805
That's why we can't have nice things.
>> No. 129830
>The excrement is about to meet the rotating air displacement unit

Demetrious, this seems like a good time for me to voice an opinion that I think will be worth taking into consideration: Please don't let your story get bogged down in an epic, world-changing quest/incident. You write very likable characters, and placing their characterization in a subordinate spot to any big conflict would be a mistake.

The current relationship with Keine and her "pitying" Wizanon, and Wizanon questioning himself, is a great example of the right thing to focus on.


Anyway what I guess I'm saying is that since Charisma is our dump stat the more interesting conflicts will be social instead of physical or even magical. But that's just like, my opinion, man.
>> No. 129831
>>129830
>Demetrious, let me tell you how I think you should write your story.
>> No. 129833
>>129831
Why yes, thank you for clarifying what I said. I am telling him that I think that he focus his story on an area that he has shown himself to be quite adept at writing, and that I have personally found very enjoyable.

But you're right, this isn't my story, which is why Demetrious doesn't have to listen to me, or even read my posts at all. I don't know what he's planning, maybe he'll be even better at writing a big power struggle than he is at writing personal conflicts.
>> No. 129842
>>129833
>has shown himself to be quite adept at writing

Until now he has shown to be adept at writing everything he has written already.
>> No. 129846
File 128998050657.png - (208.70KB , 512x512 , 0bda9b2e.png ) [iqdb]
129846
[X] Have Duke escort the girl home, with a rendezvous arranged later via Sending.
[X] Head back the Mansion in person.


Duke continues to wield his Serious Look on you as you waffle.

“Duke, do you think you could escort Miss, ah-

“Margatroid,” the girl says primly. “Alice Margatroid.”

The name ‘Alice’ is faintly familiar- you seem to remember her being on Keine’s short list of local spellcasters with magic vaguely similar to your own. You introduce yourself. “I’m a wizard by profession.”

Alice eyes your hat with cool detachment. “I see.”

‘Well. Uh. Anyways,” you say, slightly nonplused. “I’m afraid my appointment admits no delay, but my friend-”

Duke clears his throat pointedly.

“My friend Duandor here would most likely accept your invitation.”

Alice glances up at Duke, who bows his head slightly in affirmation. “Indeed,” he agrees.

“Very well,” Alice agrees, monotone. Duke holds out hand, and you produce his huge blade from your pocket, handing it over hilt-first. The archon leans in to grasp the grip- and pauses.

“And what is this ‘appointment’ of yours?” he asks sotto voice.

“Cultists. Zombai goasts. The usual,” you say.

Duke regards you silently for a moment, his golden eyes thoughtful. “And yet you had time to call me up for a chat about your lady friend before this appointment that will ‘admit of no delay’.”

For once, you have no smartass reply. Duke’s always had that effect on you. “... so?” you say lamely.

So, your first priority should be to address the incident you obviously just had with her, not-”

“Damn it Duke, there’s ghosts-

“-and ghasts, and wights, oh my,” Duke growls back. “There always are. Just this once, they can wait their turn.”

“But-”

“Quell yourself!” Duke commands with soft intensity. “You’re always running towards things that have too many tentacles and too few brains, but you’re going to run away from this?” He yanks his sword back, slips it into its sheath, and turns to Alice, who’s watching your muttered exchange with a detached look in her misty blue eyes.

“M’lady? Shall we go?”

“Hmm? Oh,” Alice says, seeming to notice Duke’s presence anew. “Yes. This way.” She turns, her lantern-bearing doll following, and strides into the Forest.

Duke gives you a brief glance and a sight shrug- What’s with this one? and trots after the girl.

You watch them go, until the lantern fades into the thicket.


*****


Getting back into the Mansion proves simple, though occasionally you have to dive for a broom closet to avoid meeting any more fairy maids. You cautiously peer around the last corner for any more damned fey before entering the guest bedroom hallway. Stopping in front of Keine’s door, you raise your hand- and hesitate.

“But you’re going to run away from this?” Duke’s voice echoes in your mind.

“I don’t run,” you mutter by way of belated retort, and rap solidly on the door. After a moment, it opens a crack. Dressed in her usual outfit, Keine regards you with surprise.

“Wha- I thought you were-”

“I came back.”

“Yes,” Keine says dryly. “Yes you did.”

“Yes. Because. I have an idea,” you ramble, managing to catch your stride at last. “To disguise you, so you can come to the meeting with me-”

“I thought you could handle yourself,” Keine says a bit stiffly.

“Sure, but...”

She watches you expectantly.

“... but I just took a walk, to clear my head, and I saw something a good twenty-five feet tall stalking through the forest.”

Keine blinks.

“And I used a summoning spell to call an old friend of mine, and we followed it, and then we- well, he’s escorting Alice home, because we met Alice, and...

The blue-haired schoolteacher’s head is slowly adopting a cant.

“... I thought you should know. Because.”

Keine’s forehead slowly inches forward to dunk gently against the doorframe. “You’ve been gone, at most, an hour, and you’ve already blundered into more trouble,” she moans while studying the floor. “This is why you can’t go charging around alone! You still don’t know Gensokyo like I do, dammit!” she scolds, poking you in the chest.

“I know, I know!” you say, putting your hands up in surrender. “I mean- just- will you come with me?”

Keine cocks an eyebrow.

Please?

She grins, and shoves you playfully. “Well, since you asked so nicely. Let me get dressed, first- you can tell me about all that business in the woods on the way over.” She shuts the door gently, and you hear her rustling about inside as she changes. You sigh with relief. Though you’re no less conflicted, it looks like you avoided a snit over your abruptness from earlier- though you suspect it wasn’t your smooth talking that got you out of it.

Well, whatever works. You crack the door to Cirno’s room, checking on her- the fairy is securely tucked into her bed and sleeping soundly. You cast an Alarm ward on her room, attuning the spell to your small group, and setting it to emit an audible alarm. You’d prefer instant mental notification, but you’ll be out of range- at least this way Cirno will be awoken if uninvited guests visit.

“Ready to go?” Keine asks you, stepping from her bedroom in her usual outfit.

“Always ready,” you reply. “Let’s get sleuthin’.”


****


The Ogawa farm is a little further from town then Arigashas, and on the opposite side; with its most distant fields bordering the Forest of Magic. The palisades around the barns and outbuildings are augmented with a spike-filled ditch, and there’s even a watchtower with arrow-slits. You’ve seen farms like this before, but only in gnoll or bugbear country, and even those weren’t quite as through as this one. It’s not hard to see why the Society has its supporters.

Circling the farm once to make a good show of caution, you finally land a little distance from the palisade’s gate, where the rotund shopkeeper is waiting, shifting uncomfortably and sniffing the warm summer wind. He starts a little when you touch down, but not much.

“You came,” he says, sounding nervous, but pleased.

“That I did,” you reply. “Come to think of it, I never got your name...”

“Benson,” he replies, stepping forward and shaking your hand firmly. “Benson Sheffield.”

“Right. So,” you say, swinging your arms wide to indicate the wide-open, shorn field. “Where’s the greeting party?”

“They’re inside,” Benson says, jerking his thumb over his shoulder at the palisade. “They’re a cautious lot- most farmers have to be.”

“I gathered as much,” you say, running your eyes over the impressive defenses one more time. Two men in dark jackets stroll from the gate, decently visible in the light of the waxing moon. They stop a discreet distance from you, perhaps seven feet. One of them tilts his head and glances at Benson, whom starts, as if catching himself, and retreats to join them.

There’s something about that seven feet of distance that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck, but you’re not sure what.

“Well. The dragonslayer... at last...” one of the newcomers drawls languidly. He’s got a broad, sun-tanned face. “I’m Yoshi, by the way. This-” he indicates the man next to him, a lean, tough looking customer- “is Riku.”

“That’s half a name, each,” you point out.

“They are,” Riku replies flatly.

You shrug, and introduce yourself.

“Well then, down to business,” Yoshi says, clapping his hands together. “Benson here says you’re interested in our little club.”

“Naw, I just came to graze on the appetizers at the meeting.”

“Why,” Riku demands flatly. “Why the interest.”

“Because I wasn’t always a dragon slayer. Once I was getting six silvers a day to help drive off marauding monstrous bandits- with a few spells that were little better then firecrackers, mind you- from farms that looked a lot like this one. I’ve got some sympathy for ordinary folk who aren’t happy with youkai holding all the cards.”

Yoshi nods placidly, but Riku is having none of it. “You seem to have plenty of sympathy for youkai, too,” he says. “We’re not blind- you’ve been catting around town with Kamishirasawa and that fairy, after all, and we heard about your attack on Sanae.”

My attack!? She spotted me and started cranking out danmaku before I could get a word in edgewise!”

“Perhaps that’s because you kicked in Marisa’s door and assaulted her, too, not twenty-four hours after arriving here,” Riku continues harshly. Yoshi glances at his companion, his neutral expression unwavering, but Benson is patting the air in a placating gesture.

“Now- now-”

“Perhaps that’s because she stole my shit,” you snap back, “knowledge and power I’ve bled for.”

“By my scorecard,” Riku says, “you’ve assaulted the only miko in Gensokyo who tries to do her damn job, and the only human who actually worked for her power-”

“-and I’m friends with the woman who’s keeping your little ‘burg from becoming the Youkai Outdoor Buffet Festival,” you point out.

“Yeah, Miss ‘let’s live in harmony’.” Riku jerks his thumb at the imposing fortifications behind him. “Works great, doesn’t it?”

Please!” Benson interjects, pushing Riku back a bit with his forearm. “Youkai and magicians are always dueling to settle their disputes. Even Sanae. What the hell is your issue?”

“I saw two of ‘em go into a two-card duel above the town because they couldn’t agree on a restaurant,” Yoshi offers. “Man’s got a point.”

“Point or no,” Riku says, “we can’t let him in based on his word and three days worth of reputation.” Benson and even Yoshi nod slightly at that. “If he wants in-” Riku thrusts one work-roughened finger at you- “he needs to prove it. Tangibly.”

You lock stares with Riku, and contemplate putting a very tangible fist through his hostile face. You take a deep breath to steady yourself as you contemplate your options.




[ ] Accept their demand to “prove” your sentiments. You have been fighting and killing arrogant, powerful abominations with little regard for humans all your life, after all- it’s doubtful any task they set you will be that disagreeable.
[ ] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.
[ ] We’re here because somebody attacked us- and our friends- with ghosts. I don’t recall “kissing racist cultist ass” being a necessary step in determining “who fucking sicced the ghosts on us?” Sleep + Rope + Gauntlets of Strength + WE HAFF VAYS == information.
>> No. 129847
[x] We have ways option
Boy, these random farmer fuckheads sure have quite the information network, don't they.

Regardless, they are racist hicks, and we shouldn't even bother ingratiating ourselves to them. Lets just get our info and walk away.
>> No. 129848
[x] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.

Always choosing the RAGE/FORCE option will have consequences. This Riku guy sounds like a jerk, maybe we can turn the others against him.
>> No. 129849
I'm just wondering, is there anything preventing us from using Charm Person again on these people? It seemed to work well enough the last time.
>> No. 129851
[X] Sway them.
[X]"Oho, you don't get the picture, my good friends. Do you think I've got time running tests for you folk for days or something? I'm not planning on sticking around for long." Wizard wants out, limited time offer for help.

These people, racist scumbags they might be, are STILL under Keine's protection. Yet let's not bother too much with trying to please them. Deal or no deal.
>> No. 129853
>>129849
$3 says that if we use it for anything important, it'll come back to bite us in the ass. Can't hurt to hold off on the mind control anyways, it's always more interesting to use our... uhhh... boundless charisma, or perhaps more accurately, our uncanny ability to eventually say something right in the midst of a torrent of insults.
>> No. 129854
>>129849
Unless we have the equivalent of Mass Charm Person it'd be horribly suspicious and lead to a fight breaking out and all that pudding Keine off crap.
>> No. 129855
[X] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.
>> No. 129856
[x] Accept their demand to SIDEQUEST

Isn't this our bread and butter?
>> No. 129862
[X] "You don't trust me? Fine, I don't need to help you anyway. I'm pretty sure you three can take on that giant youkai that's wandering around near the village."

Sometimes the best way to get someone to cave in, is to look like you're willing to walk away from a dire situation.
>> No. 129864
[x] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.

Time is too precious.
>> No. 129866
[X] "You don't trust me? Fine, I don't need to help you anyway. I'm pretty sure you three can take on that giant youkai that's wandering around near the village."
Followed by
[x] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.

The first bit seems like the right way to keep them talking, while the second seems just as likely to lead to a side quest, and more likely to lead to a side quest that won't totally screw us by having us kill a friend/friend of a friend.
>> No. 129867
>>129856
They have yet to say what it is; it might end up a sadistic choice.
>> No. 129868
[x] Accept their demand to SIDEQUEST
>> No. 129870
[x] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.
>> No. 129871
[X] "You don't trust me? Fine, I don't need to help you anyway. I'm pretty sure you three can take on that giant youkai that's wandering around near the village."
Followed by
[x] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.
>> No. 129872
[x] Accept their demand to SIDEQUEST
[x] "This isn't the first dance I've been to. One quest, short but as tough as you want to make it, and I won't kill anything that hasn't already killed an innocent. And not something that you SUSPECT killed an innocent."
>> No. 129873
Hmmm.... Can't we hear what is it first? If it seems it will take too long, point the problem, then say that he's only here for their benefit.

I would take sway but... I don't like the description of the second option. Yoshi will probably not care crap about beasts outside of Gensokyo and that seems a little too much like what we did back with Remilia.

And like a line reacted too, it seems there's something about the place... I don't know what to choose yet, but we really should hear the request first. If it's something we won't do, can't we have someone else take care of teh cultists?
>> No. 129874
[ ] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.
{X]If this doesn't work, SIDEQUEST TIME!
>> No. 129875
[X] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.
>> No. 129876
>>129872
Mind if I modify it a little?

[x] Accept their demand to SIDEQUEST
[x] If this is about killing, point out the local law and how foolish it would be for you to have many powerful beings after your head.
>> No. 129877
[x] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.

A chance to properly explain ourselves without someone jabbing accusations in our face would certainly be nice. If Riku won't be swayed, then so be it. We're not here to impress him.
>> No. 129879
File 129000036429.jpg - (364.23KB , 600x800 , remilia smile_2.jpg ) [iqdb]
129879
>>129876

This. Less for the objective of "finding out what to do" and more "finding out what they WANT us to do"

Rule number one of playing The Game not *that* game [spoiler]although you've lost that one too now[/spoiler]: Before you can make intelligent decisions, you must know what the other players want. Get Riku talking. Let HIM make his objectives known, in precise and certain terms. Then we can decide how we'll go about handling it

That said, we must be careful not to let Riku lead the conversation. It is clear that a schism exists between him and companions. Whoever seems most "reasonable" is sure to sway Benson's and Yoshi's opinions

Rile Riku up a bit. Get him a little angry. Get him to rant. Punch carefully calculated holes in his arguments and make it look like the absurd bigotry it truly is. By doing this, we can damage his reputation in the eyes of his peers and weaken his extremist views

Though by Demetrious' character sheet we may not actually have the social grace to pull this off well, so keep that in mind as well

TLDR:

[x] Accept their demand to SIDEQUEST
[x] If this is about killing, point out the local law and how foolish it would be for you to have many powerful beings after your head.
[x] Make a point of making Riku look like an angry and unreasonable extremist in front of his cohorts. Forming a few fractures in a foolish faction is farsighted of us.
>> No. 129882
I'm hesitant to accept their sidequest, especially since we have no idea what it is, but can definitely speculate that it will involve us doing something against youkai. Whether those youkai ever did anything, though, is still a question.

Yet, wizard has been making enemies ever since he entered Gensokyo and now we're going to make him do a job for the only guys in this place we know are our enemies? People are already misunderstanding our wizard, attacking youkai for what might not even be a good reason is not going to help things.

Yet, at the same time there's got to be a limit to how much outbursts of violence are going to work. A slightly more subtle persuasion seems to be appropriate here.

[ ] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.
>> No. 129885
[X] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.
>> No. 129887
[x] Accept their demand to “prove” your sentiments. You have been fighting and killing arrogant, powerful abominations with little regard for humans all your life, after all- it’s doubtful any task they set you will be that disagreeable.
>> No. 129891
[X] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.

And for everything else...There's CHARM PERSON
>> No. 129892
[X] Sway them.
[X]"Oho, you don't get the picture, my good friends. Do you think I've got time running tests for you folk for days or something? I'm not planning on sticking around for long." Wizard wants out, limited time offer for help.
Why not. Looks fine to me
>> No. 129898
[x] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.
>> No. 129901
[x] Accept their demand to SIDEQUEST
[x] If this is about killing, point out the local law and how foolish it would be for you to have many powerful beings after your head.
[x] Make a point of making Riku look like an angry and unreasonable extremist in front of his cohorts. Forming a few fractures in a foolish faction is farsighted of us.
>> No. 129906
[X] "You don't trust me? Fine, I don't need to help you anyway. I'm pretty sure you three can take on that giant youkai that's wandering around near the village."

If they don't bite, is there a method to plant a tracking type spell for a later scry? Who wants to be at that meeting anyway?
>> No. 129907
We've been here for only 3 days. I'm not sure if we can really disrupt the group.

However, we know some of them do trust Keine. If we mention the ghost incident and that they are responsible, some may wonder why they targeted her instead of a youkai. THAT will cause problems from within.

Alternatively, we could sway them and say we can consider what they want us to do if we have the time. Even if we pull the sway however, it's clear a part of the group will watch us closely.

But we really should listen to it. What if it's say, about the midsummer youkai? Also, it could be a non-extermination mission too. We at least need to hear it.
>> No. 129908
>>129906

You have multiple options to infiltrate their group later, if the direct approach doesn't pan out. Now that you've seen their faces and know their first names, at least, you can just scry them when they're likely to be sneaking about.
>> No. 129910
>>129892
Not a good idea, in my opinion. I suspect that Yuki's opposition to us stems from his belief that Wizard doesn't care about the Village. Such a choice would confirm his suspicions and gain us a foe within the Village, ready to spread lies and dissent towards not only ourselves but Keine as well, as she is our closest companion. Being further alienated would only hurt her.

We must sway them. By words or deeds, it matters little. The Romans would pronounce with gravity "Acta, non verba", and the Villagers being simple farmers as most Romans were, it may be our only decisive option.

However, Keine has repeatedly told us that we shouldn't blunder into situations without her. The side quest, if it is chosen, must first be discussed with her, taking her opinion and arguments into honest consideration. We do not know enough about Gensokyo to make the decision unilaterally.

Trying to convince them with words is probably the best option for now. If we fail to do so, then asking for a time to consider our decision and using said time to discuss things with Keine before answering is our best shot.

Remember, friends, that it has only been 3 days since we've arrived in Gensokyo. We do have time, especially since Duke will be able to tell our Celestial allies of our fate when he returns to Mount Celestia. (Well, if he returns to Mount Celestia. The Barrier could be a dick and refuse to let him go.)

By the way, Duke? He's a True Bro in the greatest spirit of Brotherhood. It takes a True Bro to tell what you need to hear, rather then what you want to hear.
>> No. 129911
>>129908
Your totally right, I forgot i am not playing in a three hour long single session game, I have to start THINKING like a long term wizard looking for the bigger picture.

Thanks Dim your a champ.
>> No. 129922
[x] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.

Don't sidequest until we know what they want.
>> No. 129923
>>129922
If it fails then, shoudl we ask about it at least before leaving?
>> No. 129928
[┼] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.
>> No. 129931
>>129923
Them knowing what we wouldn't be interested in doing (RETURN TO ME THE WINGS OF 5 FLYING YOUKAI FOR ENTRANCE, PLUS 3 GOLD FOR EVERY EXTRA AFTERWARDS) might not help us get in later, if we chose diplomacy over stealthing games.
>> No. 129933
>>129931
What if they want Ice fairy wings, ones the size that Cirno has?
>> No. 129934
>>129931
Stealth... You know, now that we know one person who is in (Ben), we COULD always stalk while we're invisible or something else instead of simply bluffing our way in.

I'll just point out however that something set Wizard on edge as they met the others. So it seems there may be someone in who know what he's doing and set up defenses. If we go in next time, we'll have to watch out for traps.
>> No. 129936
>>129933
That's when we kill all of the cultists and flay the corpses!
>> No. 129937
>>129846
[X] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Diplome Sway them.

>You’re always running towards things that have too many tentacles and too few brains

That's not a very nice thing to call Keine.
>> No. 129940
>>129937
Go reread. It was for the zombies, monsters and whatever.
>> No. 129943
File 129003839429.gif - (73.90KB , 1509x651 , DIPLOMACY.gif ) [iqdb]
129943
[x] Accept their demand to SIDEQUEST
[x] If this is about killing, point out the local law and how foolish it would be for you to have many powerful beings after your head.
[x] Make a point of making Riku look like an angry and unreasonable extremist in front of his cohorts. Forming a few fractures in a foolish faction is farsighted of us.

Some people require a special brand of diplomacy.
>> No. 129947
[x] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.

Alternately,

[X] VIOLENCE

Who the fuck does this guy think he is? He can take his sidequest and shove it up his new-and-improved, probably magically-widened arse.
>> No. 129949
I just realized something.

Benson Sheffield is not a Japanese name.

He's probably from a western country on the outside. I mean, that's the most likely background, right? But...
>> No. 129954
>>129949
Metagaming

Our MC would have no idea about this.
>> No. 129956
>>129954
His post has nothing to do with metagaming, genius.
>> No. 129963
...you know, to me, it seems pretty obvious that we're getting the "good cop bad cop" routine? Maybe they really are arguing in front of the guest, maybe they're playing parts to gauge reactions.

[X] Write in: Hey, you guys seem to be misunderstanding something. I'm not here because I want to go through the initiation to join your gang, I'm here because I want information about the powers in Gensokyo and you guys have a unique perspective.

Accepting their side-quest demand is too submissive, so that's out; wizanon is many things but a convincing orator isn't really one of them; and "Jack Bauer" is kinda... would Keine even let you, for one.
>> No. 129964
>>129940
I know. That's the joke.
>> No. 129987
>>129963
>...you know, to me, it seems pretty obvious that we're getting the "good cop bad cop" routine?
Yeah, was getting a lot of that.
>> No. 129992
[X] Write in: Hey, you guys seem to be misunderstanding something. I'm not here because I want to go through the initiation to join your gang, I'm here because I want information about the powers in Gensokyo and you guys have a unique perspective.

Stealing from a well-written anon. We don't need to aggress, but we shouldn't just roll over and agree to unknown questings.
>> No. 129995
[Z] Write in: Hey, you guys seem to be misunderstanding something. I'm not here because I want to go through the initiation to join your gang, I'm here because I want information about the powers in Gensokyo and you guys have a unique perspective.

Best idea I've heard yet.
>> No. 130001
[x] Write in: Hey, you guys seem to be misunderstanding something. I'm not here because I want to go through the initiation to join your gang, I'm here because I want information about the powers in Gensokyo and you guys have a unique perspective.
>> No. 130002
[x] Write in: Hey, you guys seem to be misunderstanding something. I'm not here because I want to go through the initiation to join your gang, I'm here because I want information about the powers in Gensokyo and you guys have a unique perspective.
>> No. 130003
[X] Write in: Hey, you guys seem to be misunderstanding something. I'm not here because I want to go through the initiation to join your gang, I'm here because I want information about the powers in Gensokyo and you guys have a unique perspective.

This, play it cool and don't make any commitments you might regret. If they take it bad and come after you then it's on their heads and you also have your answer about if you should work with them...
>> No. 130004
[X] Write in: Hey, you guys seem to be misunderstanding something. I'm not here because I want to go through the initiation to join your gang, I'm here because I want information about the powers in Gensokyo and you guys have a unique perspective.
[X] At least listen to what they want him to do.
[X] Remind them that he won't kill anything more important than just regular (but still dangerous) youkai.

Beating down "beasts" is okay, but anything with a name and friends that can hold a grudge are off the list.
The "no-killing rule" probably isn't the best excuse for that. That only applies between people with bullshit powers and if he uses that argument they'll probably see him as "one of them".

A better argument could be something like:
He won't know the repercussions of whatever they would ask him to do since he's new here, and he's worried that they might not either because he's a wild card in the status quo.
If he takes down a major youkai around there, they will be in deep shit when the fights start up, as the other youkai try to decide who gets to fill the gap.

He could make up a story about how he once got to a little village while travelling.
They saw him and asked that he helped them beat a small band of ogres that were marauding around the countryside. Of course he accepted.
Unfortunately, they didn't tell him enough and he actually got them into trouble by killing a those ogres.
You see, even though the ogres were defeated there was a local tribe of bugbears on one side, and a tribe of orcs on the other side of the village. They both saw this as a chance to expand. Suddenly the village was on the front line of a war.
Many fireballs had to be thrown that day.

Using that as an example, he could claim that he hasn't been here long enough to know who's who and what's what around here. (Which is actually true.)
All he has so far is Keine's opinion and he'd like an unbiased one. So he came to them.
Of course these guys are biased as fuck against everyone that isn't them, but flattery and lies can open a lot of door.

He's not here to "infiltrate their group" or whatever they might be worried about.
He doesn't care about learning their secret handshake or anything, he just needs their help to avoid getting tricked into doing something stupid by monsters with no regard for the value of human lives.
>> No. 130005
[X] Write in: Hey, you guys seem to be misunderstanding something. I'm not here because I want to go through the initiation to join your gang, I'm here because I want information about the powers in Gensokyo and you guys have a unique perspective.
[X] At least listen to what they want him to do.
[X] Remind them that he won't kill anything more important than just regular (but still dangerous) youkai.
>> No. 130006
>>130004
That does sound reasonnable. Btw, even if they don't care about those rules, Wizard just need to point out that those in power care very much and will hunt him regardless of if cult cares or not.

>>129876
Changing my vote for the write-in. But the third part should be said only if it's actually for a hunt.
>> No. 130007
Maan... counting votes has got to be a pain in the ass.
>> No. 130008
>>130007
Doubly so when the thread is filled with completely worthless posts, I'd imagine.
>> No. 130009
>>130008
You are absolutely right. Nobody should ever post unless it's to vote, and even then they shouldn't clutter their post with worthless bullshit like discussion. After all, communication is the cancer killing society amirite.
>> No. 130010
>>130009

Not all posts are discussions, nor do all of them contribute anything to the thread/story
>> No. 130012
[X] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.

'Keep firing assholes!'
Continue with the useless discussions, they be fun to read.
>> No. 130013
[X] Write in: Hey, you guys seem to be misunderstanding something. I'm not here because I want to go through the initiation to join your gang, I'm here because I want information about the powers in Gensokyo and you guys have a unique perspective.
[X] At least listen to what they want him to do.
[X] Remind them that he won't kill anything more important than just regular (but still dangerous) youkai.
>> No. 130030
[X] Write in: Hey, you guys seem to be misunderstanding something. I'm not here because I want to go through the initiation to join your gang, I'm here because I want information about the powers in Gensokyo and you guys have a unique perspective.
[X] At least listen to what they want him to do.
[X] Remind them that he won't kill anything more important than just regular (but still dangerous) youkai.

It makes sense.
>> No. 130033
[x] Benson is clearly on our side, and Yoshi could yet be swayed. You’re not much for charisma, but the trials of your past lend you rare authenticity. You’ve quested against entities abusing their power all your life; you don’t need to prove shit. Sway them.
>> No. 130035
[X] Write in: Hey, you guys seem to be misunderstanding something. I'm not here because I want to go through the initiation to join your gang, I'm here because I want information about the powers in Gensokyo and you guys have a unique perspective.
[X] At least listen to what they want him to do.
[X] Remind them that he won't kill anything more important than just regular (but still dangerous) youkai.
>> No. 130082
File 129015138513.jpg - (22.30KB , 461x257 , patchouli on the internet_1.jpg ) [iqdb]
130082
>>130004

Samefag from >>129879 here. I actually like this idea more. Maybe it *is* better to just do away with the mindgames and be upfront. We're not really here to accept quests from dirt farmers, we're here to gain insight and perspective, and it may make them less defensive and willing to talk if we drop any pretense of joining their little club

I still like the idea of trying to get egg on Riku's face for the sake of weakening his sway on the rest of his group, but, realistically, that's not something we'll be able to do unless we actually *do* try to join the group

So, yeah. TLDR: Changing my vote to quoted post
>> No. 130085
[X] Write in: Hey, you guys seem to be misunderstanding something. I'm not here because I want to go through the initiation to join your gang, I'm here because I want information about the powers in Gensokyo and you guys have a unique perspective.
[X] At least listen to what they want him to do.
[X] Remind them that he won't kill anything more important than just regular (but still dangerous) youkai.
>> No. 130104
[X] Write in: Hey, you guys seem to be misunderstanding something. I'm not here because I want to go through the initiation to join your gang, I'm here because I want information about the powers in Gensokyo and you guys have a unique perspective.

This write-in is a good write-in. Previous vote deleted.
>> No. 130108
Where are the updates writefag?
>> No. 130111
>>130108
The same thing as with GH is going to happen.
>> No. 130113
File 129021995272.png - (401.25KB , 1447x1447 , b033e64d847a75a0e14840af1a454be9.png ) [iqdb]
130113
>>130008
>>130111
>> No. 130114
>>130108
>>130111
Both of you need to pipe down and be patient.
>> No. 130115
>>130114
I agree. We already faced such a silence due to a temporary power failure in Demetrious's region. It will pass in time and the author shall return.
>> No. 130119
File 129022435340.jpg - (336.59KB , 948x717 , 1283587674169.jpg ) [iqdb]
130119
>>130115
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
>> No. 130120
File 129022443857.jpg - (128.53KB , 773x1024 , 33e135486a256443ea8c89edf957e808.jpg ) [iqdb]
130120
>> No. 130121
File 129022448255.jpg - (237.97KB , 500x500 , 0d2ff4b885e0ae241b5972789c5e7c2c.jpg ) [iqdb]
130121
>> No. 130122
File 129022452638.jpg - (130.08KB , 768x1024 , ba8a630a4f0bfd345e8d6da54f7ddfc1.jpg ) [iqdb]
130122
>> No. 130123
File 129022460378.jpg - (198.98KB , 850x1262 , 2da024dc06e34e3ccdc9a917d8d91e5b.jpg ) [iqdb]
130123
>> No. 130132
Um...what are you doing?
>> No. 130136
>>130108
>>130114
>>130110
>>130119
>>130119
>>130120
>>130122

Dammit, I could have gotten in ONE MORE story update in this thread, and thus pacified the OH TEH NOEZ THREADZ peoples. But noooo. Noooo.

I'm running out of clever wizard-related thread starter images at a TERRIFYING RATE.

Speaking of which, NEW THREAD >>130134