[Return]
Archived Thread

File 128857070432.gif - (70.87KB , 500x276 , drop wizard.gif ) [iqdb]
126955 No. 126955
In which a Wizard trolls the SDM.

Thread 1: >>123033
Thread 2: >>124226
Thread 3: >>124917
Thread 4: >>125518
Thread 5: >>126187

[x] Change into your single fancy robe w/ matching hat, the one you were going to wear for your after-dragonslaying feast.
-[x] Blue with little stars.
[x] Go to the Mansion, with a little time to get the feel of things before dinner.
[x] Act like a perfect gentleman with Keine.



“Yes,” you agree. “We may as well move it towards free food and cold beer.”

Keine cocks her head. “Cold beer?”

“Just a saying. I prefer liquor, myself.” You’ve nearly cleared the commercial district (which consists of one long street,) and you spot some weathered benches sitting near a tiny building with large windows- a ‘grab stand’ restaurant, it appears. “Hey, let’s sit down a moment, I want to compare notes with you on this secret society of ours.”

You take a seat across from Keine, who’s still fidgeting uncomfortably, glancing about to see if anybody’s staring at her new gown. Cirno plops down next to you, and stretches elaborately. “This secret mission is so much better then freezing frogs all day!” she declares happily.

“Damn straight,” you say tousling Cirno’s hair affectionately. “And we haven’t even gotten to the part where we beat sixteen cultists to death with a live goat.”

“A live goat!?” Keine exclaims.

“It might’ve been a calf. It was pretty dark in those ancient ruins.”

“Oh dear,” Keine says, burying her face in her palm. “You lead an insane life, you know that?”

“I prefer the term ‘dynamic’,” you say primly. “Anyways- Arigasha said something about humans that ‘don’t care about other humans’, and that shopkeeper let on to some... tension in their group concerning you? What’s all that about?”

Keine sighs, and folds her hands together. “Reimu Hakurei is what it’s all about. She’s the human miko of the Hakurei shrine, which guards the border between Gensokyo and the outside world. Technically it’s her job to look after the humans in Gensokyo, but...” Keine shrugs. “She’s made friends with several youkai, many others frequent the shrine, and naturally, villagers are reluctant to go visit there now.”

“You mean they’re scared shitless,” Cirno interjects.

“Cirno!” Keine objects, then looks at you. “She’s picking up your terrible language,” she scolds, sounding very much the schoolteacher.

“You mean she’s learning how to express her thoughts concisely,” you object, wrapping your arm around the little fairy supportively. “A useful step in her magical education!”

Keine shakes her head, smiling a little. “In any case, she’s right. And other humans in Gensokyo with any measure of power tend to be distant from ordinary folk. When you’re immortal, or you can stop time, like Sakuya... it’s very hard to relate.”
“So you’ve basically supplanted Reimu as the protector of the village, then?”

“Yes. And I actually live here, too. But even though I’m effectively human, and was born human...” Keine shrugs. “Well, some of the most paranoid avoid me. Often farmers, because they deal with feral youkai the most.” Her tone is casual, unconcerned, but she avoids your eyes, studying her hands.

“But you’re not actively working against them, though.”

“No!” Keine exclaims, flattening her palms on the table and rising off her seat a little. “That’s just the thing, I’m trying to teach people some of the ‘secrets of Gensokyo’ these morons are after, and they just blow me off!” She sets back into her chair, looking a little peeved.

You smile, and shake your head. “I’ve seen the same thing many times. Farming communities especially, and most are. They’ve got too much to worry about vis a vis basic survival to ponder history much.”

Keine nods in agreement. “I’ve said as much.”

“What about Sanae, though?” you ask. “Isn’t she human? And a shrine maiden?”

“She... is, actually,” Keine says thoughtfully. “Her shrine is on a mountain called ‘youkai mountain’, though, so as you can imagine, it doesn’t help much. Still, I’ve heard she’s even a little wary of becoming too familiar with youkai, but living where she does, the girl doesn’t have much choice.”

You ponder that carefully. “She doesn’t come to town much, does she?”

“Not unless she’s running an errand for Suwako or Kanako, no.”

You think back on how abrupt your encounter with Sanae was- In the middle of some field, no less- and compare it with the information that she’s not prone to pointless wandering. You file the observation away for later.

“Well, that’s something to think about,” you say vaguely. “We’d best be on our way, though. Oh, almost forgot-” you look down at your robe, glance at the girls outfits briefly, and speak a single word.

“Fabulosity.”

In the blink of an eye, your deep gray robes become dark navy blue, almost black, with what looks like stars floating across the surface. Quite literally floating; the robe is now effected by an active glamer. Your hat has likewise went from gray to dark blue, and the stars and crescent moons on it now rotate slowly.
“I might nix the animated effects,” you say. “A little too distracting.”

“Another spell?” Keine asks, gently fingering the cloth where the stars are moving.

“Not this time,” you reply. “My robes and hat have so many enchantments on ‘em I’ve forgotten what half of them do. Fireproof, tear-proof, all of that, and the illusion effect sure does cut down on needed wardrobe. I hate changing.”

“Well, Mister ‘Fabulosity,’ I think you look splendid,” Keine says warmly, tweaking your nose. “Let’s get going.”


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Thirty minutes later, you catch your first sight of the fabled Scarlet Devil Mansion from the air. It’s a sprawling complex, with a few small outbuildings and a large courtyard in the middle. There’s relatively few windows, but quite a few small brick rectangles marking the top of chimneys.

“Well, that’s better then I was expecting,” you say, giving the huge building the once-over. “No gargoyles, no pointy turrets, just some ugly shingles.”

“Shall we land at the front gate?” Keine asks.

“No,” you say. “We’re not sneaking around, but there’s no reason to announce our presence before we have to. Chances are the vamps know we’re here already, but they’re holding back introductions until dinner. They’re drama queens like that.”

“Are you sure that’s wise?” Keine asks. “To come in without invitation?”

“We are invited,” you point out. “And wherever vampires are involved, I’ll take any advantage I can get.” Keine, who’s voiced her distrust of the Scarlet Sisters more then once, doesn’t look happy, but declines to protest.

You pick out the courtyard with a garden in it, just beyond the clocktower, and touch down there. “And that’s what I count on,” you continue. “It gives you an opportunity to take liberties. Like we’re about to.”

“Whatch’a mean?” Cirno asks, puzzled.

“I’m going to learn something about this before the bloodsuckers show up at dinner and start acting coy and mysterious,” you say. “So I can... well, you’ll see.”

“I don’t like it when he says that,” Cirno says worriedly.

“You’re not the only one,” Keine comments.



[ ] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.
[ ] Why don’t we pay Sakuya a visit. She needs to be taken down a peg.
[ ] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.
[ ] Write-in?

Only enough time for one option.

>> No. 126956
[X] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.
>> No. 126957
[X] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.

We can do all the other things later after the dinner, even if things go bad we can always sneak back in. But no fallback positions in a unknown vampire's lair is just plain dumb and asking for trouble.
>> No. 126959
[x] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.

Let's try to get something out of this before we're kicked out.
>> No. 126960
No Meiling? Maybe we can see her on the way out.

>“This secret mission is so much better then freezing frogs all day!” she declares happily.
>“Well, Mister ‘Fabulosity,’ I think you look splendid,” Keine says warmly, tweaking your nose. “Let’s get going.”

I can't take it any more, they just get more and more likable each post.

[X] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.

We need some contingency plans and some Contingency as well.
>> No. 126961
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.

The Unbound favor making negotiations from a position of respectful strength. If we are prepared, then We will not be Bound by any treachery of the undead Devourers. Knowledge may afterward be traded for, rather then risking discovery and confrontation. If confrontation does come, then regrettably we will take action with a position of certain strength. The vampires will learn that only the mad strike at wizards.

Also, we should make all precautions to protect both ourselves and our dear companions.
>> No. 126962
[x] Why don’t we pay Sakuya a visit. She needs to be taken down a peg.

Let's show 'er.
>> No. 126963
[x] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.
>> No. 126964
A thought has crossed our mind. We should ask Keine about the particularities of these vampires, their weaknesses and abilities. Certainly, she had need of such information before and hold it in her memory. We will need her aid to be fully prepared and such close cooperation can only strengthen the bonds between us.

There are few bonds as strong as those of plasma forged friends.
>> No. 126966
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.

Before other camps are showing. Wagon wagon wagon.
>> No. 126968
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.
>> No. 126969
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.
While independent research is a good idea it would be bad to offend our hosts before we even get to the dinner table
>> No. 126970
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.

It's already too late to prepare more spells than we had ready this morning, since spells reset upon rest. So if we didn't already have any vampire-specific spells readied when we did our morning memorization ritual, then we will just have to make do with what we do have available for use. But as a high-leveled wizard, it would be silly not to have contingencies set with appropriate defensive/buff functions for daily use anyway.
>> No. 126971
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.
It's just the smart thing to do when dealing with the higher tier undead like we believe the scarlet sisters to be.
>> No. 126972
[X] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.

It seems a little colaboration with a fellow bookish mage is in order.
>> No. 126973
[ ] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.
>> No. 126974
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.

Just to be safe, but I think we shouldn't look so ready for a fight lest it be mistaken for wanting one.
>> No. 126976
Demetrious, I just want to say how great this story is. Its literally a highlight of my day to read it. I think the main contributions to my opinion are:

1. Steady update schedule. Moreover, shit tends to get done in updates.

2. Most interactions happen within the context of a few characters; this gives them more time to develop.

3. Cirno isn't retarded, she's just childish. Its a nice change of pace.

4. Our Wizard already has a set personality; I'll admit I wasn't sure if I liked this at first, but I think it works in the sense that it reduces pressure from anon to turn him into a white knight (although I like your Keine enough that its hard not to pick options like this).

5. D&D. It encourages planning and creative solutions, and is something that many of us are familiar with.


TL;DR keep doing what you are doing, its working out very well.
>> No. 126977
[X] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.
>> No. 126978
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.

If things don't shit themselves up, then we'll have a lot of time to visit the Library. If they do shit up, then we need a way to GTFO pronto.
>> No. 126980
[~]Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.

Magic user rendezvous + book looting
>> No. 126981
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.

I wanna be the goddamn Batman.
>> No. 126982
[X] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.

>>126955 Ha I was wondering when that picture was going to show up.
>> No. 126983
[x] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.

You are a wizzard.
You go after books.
>> No. 126984
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.

As long as MC doesn't end up having to burn half the place down I'm sure there'll be on opportunity to speak with Patchy.

And I am, most definitely, up for taking Sakuya down a peg or three.
>> No. 126985
I really, really like the relationship developing between the Wizard, Keine and Cirno. For instance:

>“Cirno!” Keine objects, then looks at you. “She’s picking up your terrible language,” she scolds, sounding very much the schoolteacher.

Was I the only one to almost want that to read "mother", instead of "schoolteacher"? Especially when just afterward, the Wizard takes instinctively a fatherly role in supporting Cirno? There's just the right interactions and dialogues for the feel of a family to really come through. I really like it.
>> No. 126986
[ ] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.
>> No. 126987
How old is our Wizard man anyway?
>> No. 126988
[X] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.
>> No. 126989
>>126983
Sounds like a plan

[*] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.
>> No. 126992
>>126987
I'd have to guess around his middle twenties to early thirties from the spiel he gave Marisa.
>> No. 126993
[X] Go look at Library

It's okay if we're only there for a few minutes, that's enough to case the place; even if they thought to, they probably lack the magic to ward it against teleporting burglers

[X] Fallback plan

Really more like "OMG time to go"; you're in the enemy's stronghold, rather than a fall-back it's more important to guarantee we can straight-up escape
>> No. 126994
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.
>> No. 126995
>>126987
Old enough.
>> No. 126997
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.

We can go check out the library after dinner.
>> No. 126998
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.
>> No. 126999
[X] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.
>> No. 127000
[X] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.
>> No. 127001
[X] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.
-[X] Ask Kiene about the powers and weaknesses of these vampires. Vampires are a pain in the ass to kill without properly exploiting them.
>> No. 127002
File 128859380050.jpg - (15.46KB , 512x384 , cirno wat_1.jpg ) [iqdb]
127002
Although the whole "fallback position" is a shoe-win at this point, I will vote

[X] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.

WE'RE A WIZARD. THE BIGGEST LIBRARY IN GENSOKYO IS WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE. WHY ARE WE NOT ON THAT SHIT LIKE WHITE ON RICE?
>> No. 127003
RE: No. 127002

We're also a EPIC level wizard which means we have lived long enough to learn the value of patience, caution and being able to choose our battlegrounds. The library isn't going anywhere one way or the other, and even if things go badly given our abilities we should be to find a way to sneak in.

On the other hand if things going badly, it'd be a good idea to have a way to escape or fallback to in order to lower the risk to our lovable companions and (more importantly) us.
>> No. 127004
File 128859529161.jpg - (290.49KB , 1000x662 , 1287539670610.jpg ) [iqdb]
127004
>> No. 127005
File 128859532028.png - (331.64KB , 640x480 , ITSCIRNOTIME.png ) [iqdb]
127005
>>127002
[X] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.
>> No. 127006
>>127002
The safety of Keine and Cirno is much more important than some dumb old books.

We will be raiding Voile later.
>> No. 127009
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions

I'd much rather be introduced to Patchy before raiding her library anyway. No need for any misunderstandings.
>> No. 127011
>>127003
>We're also a EPIC level wizard which means we have lived long enough to learn the value of patience, caution and being able to choose our battlegrounds. The library isn't going anywhere one way or the other, and even if things go badly given our abilities we should be to find a way to sneak in.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the writefag said we're a 17th level Wizard, not quite epic.

And an epic-level wizard doesn't draw up escape plans because he already has contingencies for every possible situation: Wands for all the spells can can't cast, a slew of artifacts, multiple contingent teleport, summons, healing, regeneration, and resurrection spells.
>> No. 127014
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions
>> No. 127020
[X] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.
>> No. 127021
>>127002
>shoe-win
The fuck kind of misspelling of "shoo-in" is that?
>> No. 127022
[X] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.
>>126983
flawless logic
>> No. 127027
>>[X] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.

>>WE'RE A WIZARD. THE BIGGEST LIBRARY IN GENSOKYO IS WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE. WHY ARE WE NOT ON THAT SHIT LIKE WHITE ON RICE?
>> No. 127028
>>127022
Yes, perfect logic. It is not as if we did not receive a lesson on the reckless pursuit of knowledge without precaution at the start of the Beast War.

We reiterate our support of the idea of preparing fallback strategies and ensuring the safety of our companions. With the aid of said companions of course.

It would also be a good time to begin Cirno's training, by explaining the "proper", according to us, mentality an adventuring mage needs to possess or develop to survive and thrive.
>> No. 127029
[BOOKS] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.

Admittedly our poor wizard doesn't know it's too large to read in any one lifetime. Any fast-reading spells?
>> No. 127030
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions
>> No. 127031
>>127028
You sound like Owen when he first started writing. But you don't write something so drop that shit.
>> No. 127032
I vote we go explore a bit. Speak to people.
Make contingency plans as we go along, because there are way too many unknown factors right now.

We've only (barely) met Sakuya so we don't know anything about the vampires. Other than that they're.. Well, vampires.
Except the vampires here aren't the vampires he's used to, even if he doesn't know that yet. Might suspect it, since almost everything else in Gensokyo is different to what he's used to.
But he doesn't KNOW.
Hell, we don't even know the layout of the mansion yet.

Making plans without even knowing that much is very sloppy and will most likely lead to horrible mistakes. (Like taking a wrong turn and ending up in the basement.)
Make some basic plans that can be added to and adapted as we find out more.
>> No. 127033
[x] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions

I know we're itchin to get our hands on the books, but we're about to enter the lair of a vampire who's MAID can do unlimited time stops.
I think that even our MC should be able to see the importance of preparation here.
>> No. 127034
>>127032
We suggested that we ask Keine for information on these vampires to facilitate and direct our preparations twice already. No one here seems to have heard our words, despite the fact that she, of all we could find in our limited time frame, is the one we can trust to provide truthful and honest information to the best of her capacity.

>>127031
It is sad that the oratory technic of the dramatis persona is a lost art in these times. Few understand its use or its entertainment value. Why should it bother you that one takes the persona of the Unbound? Why is there such vehemence in your words?
>> No. 127036
>>127034
Not that poster, but I'd guess it's because it is horribly out of place.
It's not "a lost art" any more than painting is a lost art in a movie studio.
This just isn't the right place for it.

It does not contribute in any meaningful way to the thread, and people have asked you to stop because of that.
That you still continue anyway makes you seem rather arrogant, thus the "vehement words".
>> No. 127037
>>127036
Bah, humbug. Fine, I'll stop.
>> No. 127045
Brief note- I'll be putting up the MC's character sheet soon. I should have done this two weeks ago, but I got busy.
>> No. 127046
>>127036
Aw, it was fun for me to watch... admittedly mostly because it was pissing off the anons, but still.
>> No. 127047
>>127045
He's got at least 4 levels of Archmage, right? He's got no reason not to take them, unless he's levelling in another prestige class that's better for his build.
>> No. 127049
>>127047
He better be badass. I'm not a good Wizard player, but I know that even poorly optimized Wizards are absolute wrecking crews at high levels.
>> No. 127050
>>127047
There has been no mention of multiclassing ever, even if it involves prestige classes. Our MC is a level 17 pure wizard, with a level 9 spell slot that was used for the first time fighting the dragon.
>> No. 127052
>>127050
Speaking of which, do we get XP for the dragon and the fights since we got into Gensokyo?
>> No. 127056
>>127052
Demetrious said before that leveling up is a possibility, so most likely yes. Level 18 would give us the chance to add one new standard feat, which could be very useful when we get to that point.
>> No. 127061
Personally, I don't like that MC has a character sheet, despite how useful a good portion of it would be.

How in-depth are you going into it, Demetrious?
>> No. 127062
Idea: Contingency to cast Celerity from the PHB2 whenever someone else casts a Time Stop spell or triggers a similar effect nearby, which grants a standard action at the expense of dazing you in the next round. The spell we'd cast would, of course, be Time Stop.
>> No. 127063
>>127062
Christ, people.
WE. CAN. ONLY. CAST. ONE. 9th. LEVEL. SPELL.
We don't KNOW Time Stop.
>> No. 127067
>>127063
We know two level 9 spells in our spellbook; we might not have prepared it, though. Failing that we could Greater Planar Bind a Black Ethergaunt or something into casting it for us.
>> No. 127068
>>127063
Note to everyone, we must learn/reinvent Time Stop ASAP. This may be our last hope at some point in the future.
>> No. 127069
Even if we know it or not, I don't think a time stop spell is going to help against Sakuya anyway.
She casually freezes time for an hour or two to get housework done faster, while a D&D wizard who has reached the "reality is my plaything" level of power is barely able to stop time for a few seconds.
We're clearly outclassed in that regard, so a time stop duel isn't the answer if we have to fight her.

>>127062
Celerity is a good idea, but since it's pretty much just a sudden burst of speed what good is that going to do when time just stopped?
Even if we start casting our own time stop spell, what's to stop her from just freezing time as we cast it?

I think Wizardnon will just have to accept that some people are ranked too high on the "bullshit power"-scale for him.

The only thing I can think of that could work is to challenge her to danmaku, because then there are rules limiting the use of such powers.
>> No. 127070
[X] Let’s go explore that Library I’ve heard so much about. This is a prime opportunity to do some, ah, ‘independent research,’ to say nothing of the whole scrying business.
>> No. 127073
>>127069
The realization is bitter and a hard pill to swallow. I still wonder exactly how stopping time to do house chores is beneficial, as subjectively you spend the same amount of time working and you lose time forwards by growing older biologically while time remains still. Only the truly immortal wouldn't care about the aging thing, but they wouldn't care about the time spent either, as they have all the time in the world.
>> No. 127079
>>127073
As the 'perfect maid', it's not beneficial for her, but for the others in the mansion. She does everything to make it more convenient for the rest. Supposedly.
>> No. 127081
>>127073
Sakuya is the only competant help in the mansion. The fairies are worthless, Hong is a bum and there's no way Remi, Flan, or Patchy are going to do anything. She uses time stop not to make things easier on her but to ensure she has enough time to do everything she needs to in a day!
>> No. 127084
>>127061

That's a good question; before, I was only going to give some details- basic stats, saves, language known- to keep some of the wizard's tricks a surprise (and to give me some more flexibility in the story, of course,) but with people making guesses as to the wizard's stats and such that are sometimes accurate and sometimes not, I'm tempted to just put the sheet out there already for the hell of it. It is a D&D quest, after all.

Well, should I post his sheet, or just confirm some guesses? What say you, anons?
>> No. 127085
>>127084
I don't think a full character sheet is necessary, but a rough spell list would be nice. Of course you can keep his magic items and metamagic feats and such secret so you can still maintain that element of surprise and personalization.
>> No. 127088
>>127084
Honestly, I'm fine either way. It doesn't make much difference to me. However the writer feels is best, is my outlook.
>> No. 127090
>>127084
What you feel is best is the right answer. To force you to divulge information will restrain you as you write. Follow your instincts.

Trust the Force, Demetrios Poliorcetes.
>> No. 127091
>>127081
It's Meiling and she's actually rather competent. She'd be akin to a high level monk.
>> No. 127092
>>127091
But she is in charge of the gardens, not the cleaning of the manor itself. I imagine that for a single youkai with no time powers, managing the gardens and guarding the gate would be enough work to leave no time for helping poor Sakuya clean.
>> No. 127093
>>127084
Don't post a damn thing. It will only lock you down in the future.
>> No. 127097
So, Demetrios. What will you do? WIll you post a character sheet? Will you not?

And finally, are you update tonight?
>> No. 127100
Since everyone is giving opinions let me express mine: like the author of 'The Order of the Stick' said: the less information you give out, the most liberty the writer has.
In other words, don't post jack shit. Also, keep updating... if you want. I sure do~
>> No. 127101
>>127069
>Celerity is a good idea, but since it's pretty much just a sudden burst of speed what good is that going to do when time just stopped?
Celerity interrupts the action that you activate it in response to.
>>127091
I'm going to assume you don't know what I'm about to state. The Monk class in 3.5e is absolute trash, and anything beyond a two level dip actively hurts your character's mechanical power.
>> No. 127106
>>127084
Don't post a character sheet. Some of us like making speculations on what abilities we have based on the info you have already given us, and we can imagine all of the basics (BAB, saves, whatnot) based on what we already know from the base materials. The same applies to our ideas about the other characters and their possible build setups. It leads to much amusement when we realize how low Marisa's concentration skill rank is, and that we put just as many points into pickpocket as she did.
>> No. 127108
File 128866723099.jpg - (29.73KB , 416x480 , 1277955217842.jpg ) [iqdb]
127108
>>127097

>And finally, are you update tonight?

In the AM.
>> No. 127109
>>127101

Interestingly enough, if the class was actually properly balanced, it'd be the terror of any wizard alive. Immunities to mind-affecting spells, and low reliance on equipment.

Imagine the horror if... Meiling is properly balanced.

inb4 boob joke
>> No. 127110
>>127108
Ah, then I'll see it tomorrow morn.
>> No. 127112
>>127101
>The Monk class in 3.5e is absolute trash, and anything beyond a two level dip actively hurts your character's mechanical power.

Aye. I've replaced it in my games with an unholy abomination created by fusing the base Monk & Swordsage (for maneuver progression mainly) together. Restricted it to the Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, and, IIRC, the Shadow Hand disciplines. Everything has worked better than expected so far.
>> No. 127113
>>127109
like possibly in 4th edition?
>> No. 127114
>>127091
Meiling would be more akin to a hybrid Monk/Ardent Tashalatora. Probably with the Force mantle.
>> No. 127125
#127114 here again. I was bored, so I actually statted Tashalatora Meiling out. Annotated so those with less familiarity with 3.5 psionics can follow along too:

Hong Meiling

Progression:
1st level: Ardent 1
2nd: Monk 1
3rd: Monk 2
4th-6th: Ardent 2, 3, 4

Minimum Wisdom: 13 (Required for both Zen Archery and 3rd level Ardent powers)

BAB: +4
Fort:+4
Ref: +4
Will:+7

Feats:
1-Practiced Manifester (Ardent) [Manifester level of chosen psionic class boosted by 4, up to a maximum of your hit dice. Meiling only gains half the benefit from this feat, but because of Ardents' bizarre mechanic for learning powers, this nets her 3rd level powers]
2B-Stunning Fist (3 uses/day)*
3B-Monastic Training (Ardent) [Ignore Monk multiclass penalties for chosen psionic class]*
3-Tashalatora [Levels in the psionic class chosen for Monastic Training are now added to monk levels for the purposes of determining Flurry of Blows, Unarmed damage and AC bonus]
6-Zen Archery [Ranged attacks, of any type, are keyed to wisdom rather than dexterity]
*=bonus monk feats

---Skill Ranks (only feat prerequisites listed, assuming no bonus skill points):
1st level: Autohypnosis 4, Psicraft 4

2nd level: Concentration 4

3rd level: Autohypnosis +1 (cross-class for monk), Concentration +1, 1 skill point free (you can put it in concentration too)

4th: level and up: Stack Concentration?
---

Monk abilities:
Flurry of Blows: +3/+3
Unarmed Damage: 1d8
AC Bonus: Wisdom Modifier+1
Evasion

Ardent abilities:
Mantles: Force*, Physical Power*, Repose
*=primary mantles

Base Power Points: 17 (as 4th level Ardent)

Powers (Manifester level 6):
1st-Force Screen [psionic equivalent of a shield spell], Vigor [temporary bonus hp]
2nd-Concussion Blast [psionic equivalent of magic missile], Empathic Transfer [transfer the afflictions of others to yourself]
3rd-Ethereal Volley [50 units of ranged ammunition become ghosttouch. They also glow when thrown/shot]

Psionic Mantle granted abilities:
Force: +1 deflection bonus to AC while psionically focused.
Physical Power: Lose psionic focus (as a free action) to boost Strength, Dexterity or Constitution by 2 for one round.
Repose: +2 to concentration checks while psionically focused. Lose psionic focus (as a free action) to gain +5 on a single concentration check.

Level 6 because it's the earliest this can really work. Also, e6 is cool. Scaling should be no problem, just add Ardent levels (you'll get 9s right along with the wizard, even if you lose two more caster levels).
>> No. 127128
>>127101
That's in D&D where everything is sorted into turns and rounds.
When there are no turns, there's no reason for anyone to let you finish whatever you're doing.

That's why I think the idea itself is good, but it just won't help against sakuya.
>> No. 127129
File 128868032620.jpg - (355.21KB , 900x937 , 128447401361.jpg ) [iqdb]
127129
[X] Since we’re here with some time to spare, let’s... prepare some fallback positions.


Dragging your companions along, you leave the courtyard and find yourself in an ordinary-looking hall. Seeing nothing of interest, you stride down the long passageway, with Keine and Cirno hustling along behind you.

“What exactly are you looking for?” Keine asks pointedly. “The mansion is far too big to explore properly in the time we’ve got, and Patchouli will probably be more then happy to-”

“I’m looking for exits,” you say gruffly.

“As if you ever have trouble making an exit,” Keine snorts.

“Oh really?” you say, rounding on her. “After all that shit you gave me in Yuyuko’s garden about steering clear of the vampire death house, now you notice my penchant for rapid egress?”

“I- uh- it wasn’t that clever to come here at all,” Keine manages. “But now that we’re here, well, uh, it’s...” she twirls her finger in the air as she tries to spool out an excuse. “I mean, we’re wandering around uninvited, and-”

“Who cares?” you exclaim. “I’m confident in my ability to extensively remodel this shitshack, or just get the hell out, but you and Cir-”

“I can take care of myself!” Keine objects, poking you in the chest. “Just because-”

“I can’t take that chance!” you nearly yell. Keine’s eyes widen with surprise. “I don’t give a rotten damn how offended the hosts or house staff is, I’m taking precautions. I can’t-” you choke off the sentence before it can escape your lips. “Just let me work.”

Keine gives you an inscrutable look. “Okay,” she says.

The long hallway proves to be a weird one by your metrics- no doors, anywhere. Eventually it emerges into a round lobby that joins multiple hallways. A huge, glowing sigil etched into the floor dominates the room. The glassy black floor reflects the mottled clouds of flame that seem to be slowly swirling across the domed ceiling.

“Yeah, this is more like it,” you say, looking around the red-hued room. “Bloodgore skullmoil, dread lair of hurty McSlaysalot.” You snort derisively. “Fucking vampires. Though I like the flame motif, I admit.” Your hand shoots out and grabs Cirno by the shoulder, stopping her in mid-stride. “Kiddo, I wouldn’t step on that sigil. Fly over it.”

You take your own advice and fly over the sigil. Keine and Cirno do the same. “Now what?” Cirno says, extending her arms to the sides and letting them fhlump down against her side in exasperation. “Are we just gonna wander hallways randomly?”

“Yep,” you say cheerfully, and latch onto Cirno’s wrist, dragging the protesting fairy along. This hallway proves to be populated with doors and intersecting passages, like any respectable hallway should.

“What the hell are you looking for, anyway?” Cirno complains. “C’mon, I’m huuungry~”

“Just an unused side hallway, or servant’s staircase, or something like that,” you say, carefully opening doors and peeking inside, finding nothing but empty rooms of various sorts- sitting rooms, drawing rooms, studies, and the like.

After a few minutes, you stumble across a side hallway thickly lined with side-doors. “Looks like servants quarters,” you say. “This might be what we want... depending.” You walk into the side-hall and crack open a door, revealing a small, fairly cramped room.

“Just enough room for a bed and a chest,” Keine observes, peering over your shoulder. “Not even a cabinet or wardrobe.”
“They’ve got closets, though,” Cirno points out.

“Precisely,” you agree. “That’ what I’m interested in.” You enter the room, walk past the narrow bed, and open the cabinet. Nothing but a thick layer of dust is in evidence. You pat the walls of the closet quickly, then quit the room.

Crossing the hall, you enter it, sniffing as the dust assaults your nose, and search that closet. Cirno and Keine watch you as if you’re a squirrel sniffing paint- amusing to watch but completely lost to reason.

In the sixth room down, on the left-hand side, you find a closet that yields fruit. “Hey, you ninnies, get in here,” you call. Keine and Cirno appear at the door. You lean out of the closet set in the back wall and beckon them into the room.

“Now, look at this,” you say, gripping the hanger rod and giving it a violent twist. There’s a soft kerdoonk, and a seam appears in the back wall of the small closet.

“Ta~da!” you exclaim. Keine and Cirno stare at you blankly.

“How the hell did you know?”

“I’ll show you,” you say, pushing open the secret door and peeking into the cramped passageway behind. A narrow passageway, choked with dust, runs parallel to the hallway, passing by the back of every room. You make a “be-my-guest” gesture with your hands, inviting your companions to look themselves. They do so.

“What the hell is that for?” Keine asks, mystified.

“Late night snacks,” you reply.

Keine blanches.

“All those doors can be opened from the passageway. Probably only this one can be opened from this side. There’ll be a similar one on the other side.”

“How did’ja know?” Cirno asks, awed.

“I’ve killed a few vampires,” you say, shrugging. “They’re very gothic in their tastes- if a castle doesn’t have a dozen secret passages, they’ll add a few. Anyhow. Let’s see where this goes.”

Entering the passage, you start heading towards the end furthest from the main hallway. Cirno is trooping along right behind you, her earlier enthusiasm for cloak-and-dagger matters manifesting again. Keine reluctantly enters behind her.

“I see,” you say, peering up into a dim stairwell occupied by a narrow, spiraling staircase climbing up into the murk.

“Hey, Cirno,” you say, contemplating the narrow, tall staircase. “Want to see where that goes?”

“Do I!” she exclaims, and shoots up the stairwell, flying in a climbing spiral instead of laboring up the stairs.

“She really gets a kick out of that,” Keine says from behind you. “I’m kind of surprised at you.”

“How so?”

“Well, you’re the big, bad, dragon-slayer,” she replies. “And you’ve mentioned a lot of pretty nasty things I assume you put an end to. It’s just... I wouldn’t expect you, of all people, to take to a little ice fairy like that.”

“I hate fairies,” you say with emphasis, “but Cirno’s different. Fairy queen and all that. She reminds me of myself sometimes, too.”

“What with the disproportionate, abrupt physical assaults?” Keine says, a suppressed giggle evident in her voice.

“If I had room in here, I’d whack you,” you complain. Just then, you spot Cirno buzzing down the staircase again.

“It goes to the roof!” she says, excitedly. “There’s a few side doors, I didn’t check ‘em because they were stuck, but the top comes out at the roof.”

You smile. “This will do nicely then.” You turn yourself around and shoo Keine in front of you, back to the closet you entered from, Cirno following behind. You make them exit the room and stand in the hall.

“First step,” you say, closing the room’s door. You mutter a few words of magic, make a complex gesture, and touch the door.

“Nothing happened,” Cirno says, unimpressed.

”I put an Arcane Lock on it,” you say. “Now only we three can open it, and anybody trying to kick it in is going to have a hell of a time. And now for my second act!” You rummage around in your robe’s enchanted pocket, swearing a little at the difficulty, and finally find the scroll case you were looking for. Withdrawing it, you retrieve a scroll of Fire Trap.

“I always keep one of these handy,” you say, explaining what it does. “The blast of fire isn’t terribly powerful, but it’s great for making meddlers think twice.

You open the door, enter the room, and close the closet door. Speaking powerful words of magic, you begin tracing an elaborate rune on the closet door that glows faintly with eldritch energy. The process takes a good ten minutes. At first Keine and Cirno watch you intently, but eventually they take a seat on the narrow bed, swinging their legs impatiently. You hear Cirno’s stomach growl clearly.

At last, you finish. Stepping back, you speak a final few words, and purple arcane fire seems to flare up along the complex lines of the rune before fading away.

“So what was all that about?”

You point at the device you’ve scribed on the closet door. “That’s a Symbol of Pain. I usually cast it hastily, in the air- a good way to open a fight against multiple foes- but now it’ll activate if anybody but we three look upon it. And since it’s right in front of the entrance door...”

“Effective,” Keine comments.

“And now for my final act,” you say, opening the closet door and reaching back to touch the secret door at the back of the closet. Speaking a singe word of magic, you inscribe a small, but brightly glowing set of runes on the door. With nothing hanging in the disused closet, it’s clearly visible.

”Oooh, what does that one do?” Cirno asks, excited. “If the first one blows up in fire,[i] and the second one blasts them with ouch, this one must, like, teleport them to the bottom of the lake or something!”

“Nope,” you say, amused.

“Turn them into a frog?”

“Nope.”

“Atomize ‘em!?”

“Nope.”

Cirno screws up her mouth, plants her hands on her hips, and [i]thinks.
“Knock ‘em flat on their ass for an hour?”

“Nope.”

“Well, what, then?” she asks in exasperation.

You grin. “It does jack shit.”

“What?” Keine asks, mystified.

“Jack. Shit,” you repeat, grinning. “That’s just an Arcane Mark. A cantrip for marking things you need to target with other spells. However, by the time they get to that one, they’ll be very, very respectful of magical symbols on doors.”

“You clever bastard,” Keine says with admiration. You bow.

“Now remember where this place is,” you tell Keine and Cirno. “And if anything goes wrong here... you run. You run like hell for this escape route, and don’t you dare look back, okay? Cirno nods seriously, and Keine just studies you with that same inscrutable look on her face. You turn away, annoyed by her contemplation for no reason you can name.

Quitting the room, your trio heads for the main hallway again. “Do we get to eat now?” Cirno asks miserably. You tousle her hair, and she ducks away from you.

“Yes, we get to eat now,” you say. “I’m hungry too.”

“How about a knuckle sandwich?”

You turn just in time to block a mighty blow- with your face. For a brief moment, you float through the air, feeling untethered, free... and then you meet the wall, then the floor. Your mind skitters around your skull like a rubber ball hurled down a narrow hallway.

“Haahargh blahura bishchl way?” you inquire of your assailant, as a powerful arm seizes you by the front of your robe and slams you upright against the wall.

“Who the hell are you, creeping around the Mansion?” a feminine voice demands angrily. As your vision returns, you see you’re being accosted by a pretty redhead with a green hat and a bad attitude.

“I’m a guest, you crazy bitch,” you snarl, your usual charm and elegance asserting themselves. “Didn’t Sakuya tell you?”

“Meiling, what the hell are you doing!” Keine roars, her hands balled into fists. Cirno has retreated down the hall a step or two at the extremely abrupt eruption of violence.

“...Kamishirasawa?” Meiling says, utterly surprised. “But- what-”

“We were invited to dinner! Weren’t you told!?”

“I, uh, yes?” Meiling says, confused, still pinning you against the wall with considerable strength. “But why are you snooping around here instead of at the front gate?”

“Because-” Keine pauses, at a loss, and gives you an “I told you so” look. Meiling follows her gaze, and glares at you.

“Dammit dammit dammit dammit,” she nearly wails, punctuating her words by bumping you into the wall each time. You’re starting to get a little dizzy. “Sakyua’s gonna... you snooping jerk!” The powerful redhead takes a second to compose herself. “Show me your invitation!” she demands, as if the matter wasn’t moot already, and she’d intercepted you at the gate.

Looking over Meilings shoulder, you see Keine looking at Meiling’s back. Her face is pale, and her jaw is clenched. She looks somewhat pissed off.



[ ] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
[ ] Just show the woman your invitation, and demand an apology, or you’ll mention the incident to her superiors.
[ ] “Here is my invitation.” (AHNOLD)
[ ] Write-in?
>> No. 127130
File 128868057264.jpg - (403.52KB , 1000x762 , 1276199489132.jpg ) [iqdb]
127130
>>127125

I wub roo.

Also, I have trouble finding good, solo Meiling pics. Poor character, never relevant outside of one pairing~
>> No. 127131
>>127129
[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.

And get out the invitation.
>> No. 127132
[x] Just show the woman your invitation

We've already snooped enough, and I don't think we should do something silly like a getting into a fight until we've met the host of the household first.
>> No. 127133
File 128868278357.jpg - (431.97KB , 849x849 , meiling.jpg ) [iqdb]
127133
>>127130
Just check danbooru or gelbooru. Meiling does need more love, though.

I'm willing to provide it for her...
>> No. 127134
>“Dammit dammit dammit dammit,” she nearly wails, punctuating her words by bumping you into the wall each time. You’re starting to get a little dizzy. “Sakyua’s gonna... you snooping jerk!” The powerful redhead takes a second to compose herself. “Show me your invitation!” she demands, as if the matter wasn’t moot already, and she’d intercepted you at the gate.
Hm.
Do we have Polymorph spell ready?
>> No. 127136
[X] “Here is my invitation.” (AHNOLD)
>> No. 127138
[X] Just show the woman your invitation, and demand an apology, or you’ll mention the incident to her superiors.

Hopefully this will also keep Meiling from telling anyone that we were poking around the mansion. Don't want anybody discovering our escape route.
>> No. 127140
[x] Just show the woman your invitation, and demand an apology, or you’ll mention the incident to her superiors.
>> No. 127143
File 128868869836.jpg - (546.51KB , 1024x1024 , keine vuvuzula_1.jpg ) [iqdb]
127143
[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.

I for one appreciate letting Keine have some spotlight every once in a while
>> No. 127144
[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.

Let's not pick on Meiling. She's just trying to do her job right now. A bit after the fact, yes, but she hasn't actually done anything cruel or unusual considering that Wizardnon and company did enter without announcing their arrival to the household.
>> No. 127145
[X] Just show the woman your invitation
Don't want keine to ruin her dress before she even gets a chance to show it off to the lady of the mansion.

Also, do we have a spell that makes fire shoot out of meilings nostrils? for some reason i thought it would look absolutely hilarious (and set the front of her dress on fire)
>> No. 127146
LOL poor Meiling. She's probably going to get Sakuya angry at her for falling asleep at her post again.

[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
[X] Just show the woman your invitation
>> No. 127147
[x] Show invitation
- [x] And apologize yourself for not going through gates. She is doing her job after all and who knows what is her abilities...
>> No. 127148
[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
>> No. 127150
[x] Show invitation
- [x] Apologise for not going through the front gate. We were flying and it just didn't occur to us.
- [x] Then we got lost. Could Meiling be wonderfully helpful and show us the way?
>> No. 127151
[X] Just show the woman your invitation
>> No. 127152
[x] Just show the woman your invitation, and demand an apology, or you’ll mention the incident to her superiors.
[x] "Is that a habit of you to randomly punch peoples, you cheongasm-wearing whore?!"

Wizanon must be quite pissed to get punched by a sneaky bitch.
>> No. 127154
[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.

Let's give Remilia a show. She probably ordered Meiling to do it. But I'd rather Keine take out her anger on Meiling here than on Remilia at the dinner table.
>> No. 127155
>>Aggroplease

Also, Chi-err, MEILING is one of my favorite characters - not that Touhou isn't full of them - but nooot making a good impression here. Yet. Interesting. I enjoy seeing these various character interpretations, though; very interesting to see how different people write each Touhou.

Still needs more patchu-mama.
>> No. 127157
[x] Just show the woman your invitation.
>> No. 127158
[X] Just show the woman your invitation, and demand an apology, or you’ll mention the incident to her superiors.
>> No. 127160
[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
>> No. 127163
[x] Show invitation
- [x] And apologize yourself for not going through gates. She is doing her job after all and who knows what is her abilities...
Boring option go
>> No. 127164
[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.

Since we're getting our head repeatedly slammed against a wall, not to mention the clever tactic of blocking with our face, I think our brain is probably gonna end up far too scrambled to come up with a good excuse.

After we've unscrambled, [X] Just show the woman your invitation, and demand an apology, or you’ll mention the incident to her superiors.

With a bit of luck, she was slacking off in her guard duties as usual, so it wouldn't have mattered if we had gone through the gate or not.
Assuming we can come to an agreement, we could just ask Meiling to guide us around the mansion, and if anyone asks that's what we've all been doing.
She wasn't asleep/slacking off and let us sneak into the mansion, and we weren't snooping around.

Win-win.
>> No. 127165
[x] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
>> No. 127166
>AHNOLD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfxeelWeHpw

?
>> No. 127168
[ ] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
Wizanon totally brought this on himself. I would say he should handle it himself because of that, but he doesn't seem to be very good at persuading people without the application of random violence. I think random violence is probably going to backfire here.

>>127164
Silly anon, in DnDland nobody is ever taken by surprise unless it's a surprise round, and nobody is ever hindered by grievous injuries untill they drop their HP to 0, at which point they are suddenly extremely hindered. Unless they are roleplayers.
All he has suffered is a loss of HP.
>> No. 127169
What a mess. I want to let Keine handle her, but that seems to defy what we were talking about 20 minutes ago. Augh...
>> No. 127171
[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
>> No. 127172
>Keine says nothing more, but from the way she crushes the invitation in her hand, you suspect she’s not keen on the matter.

At least Keine didn't rip up the invitation, but she never gave it back. AHNOLD option is begging for trouble, and Keine surely needs to vent right now. But Meiling is doing her job, and we did skip out on the front gate, no matter what our reasons were.

[x] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
[x] After that:
- [x] Apologise for not going through the front gate. We were flying and it just didn't occur to us.
- [x] Then we got lost. Could Meiling be wonderfully helpful and show us the way?
>> No. 127173
I was very confused by what ANHOLD was (...A New Hope Obiwan Lightside distraction?), and was wondering why everyone was so against just showing Meiling the invitation.

Then I got it.
>> No. 127174
[x] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.

Keine's got this covered.
>> No. 127175
[x] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
>> No. 127176
[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.

He is currently grappled, actually, pinned, by a monk of who-knows-what level. I don't know how prepared the wizanon is against such a thing, though at high levels he probably is due to his enchantments, but I think it is generally difficult to do non-taxing spells without the use of many metamagic feats when your hands are bound and Meiling is constantly smacking you against the wall. (Still Spell + possible Silent Spell + Quicken Spell or passing a concentration check which will probably be easy depending on many variables.) And even if it all went well, it would be bad for our spell slots when we'll want good ones prepared for meeting with Remilia.

I rather like the monk class and was told it was rather decent for mage killing, having a natural SR eventually among other things. I didn't know it was badly balanced, but then again, I'm not very savvy on all the multiclassing people do to optimize characters.

I don't know why I typed this since I didn't need to stop people from casting a spell in response but I guess I'll leave it up since I'd rather not have wasted my own time and possibly inform some people who don't know D&D mechanics. Oh, and if anything seems wrong in the info, feel free to correct it, I'm not a regular player of the game myself.
>> No. 127177
[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
[X] Just show the woman your invitation
>> No. 127179
>>127176

>I rather like the monk class and was told it was rather decent for mage killing, having a natural SR eventually among other things.

It most certainly is- excellent will + reflex saves, AND evasion and improved evasion, faster base speed to close to melee, resistance and eventual immunity to mind-affecting spells, etc. Some people say that "multiple attribute dependency" is also a flaw, but that's kind of dumb (they apply WIS bonus to AC, so DEX isn't as important as people say it is. That's in addition to a class AC bonus, though it's not as high as it should be.) In 3.0 they got shafted on BAB, no doubt, especially by having a worse BAB when they used already-limited monk weapons (exacerbating their damage problem.) A lot of that was fixed in 3.5, however, but people still complain about Monks being broken.

I haven't actually heard why the 3.5 Monk is still problematic, come to think of it.
>> No. 127180
>>127179
It is really really weak especially at high levels. WotC did not balance the basic classes at all. not only are the abilities they get underpowered in respect to other classes but they get them so late that the abilities are utterly useless.
>> No. 127181
>>127180

Yeah, that makes sense. In 3.0 the class just got shafted, but even in 3.5 they never addressed the problem of all the best abilities coming far too late in the level progression to help much.
>> No. 127182
>>127179
>It most certainly is- excellent will + reflex saves, AND evasion and improved evasion, faster base speed to close to melee, resistance and eventual immunity to mind-affecting spells, etc.
Good and all, but... I'll cover that.

>Some people say that "multiple attribute dependency" is also a flaw, but that's kind of dumb (they apply WIS bonus to AC, so DEX isn't as important as people say it is. That's in addition to a class AC bonus, though it's not as high as it should be.)
MAD is a flaw, they need all stats except Int and Cha, and even the former is needed to a degree. Wis to AC means fuck all when you can't wear armor and have to spread points across four attributes, and the class bonus to AC is still a joke. The ONLY situation where MAD is an actual bonus is when you've somehow managed to roll 18's across the board, and even then ANY class rolling 18's across the board will probably be better than the Monk.

>In 3.0 they got shafted on BAB, no doubt, especially by having a worse BAB when they used already-limited monk weapons (exacerbating their damage problem.) A lot of that was fixed in 3.5, however, but people still complain about Monks being broken.
Nothing was fixed in the move from 3.0 to 3.5. Monks still have medium BAB, Flurry of Misses, contradicting class features, shitty class features, shitty damage, and even when their class features are good (as far as it can go with Monk (see first > at the beginning of post)), all it does is boost survival, which means nothing at all when you can't deal any meaningful kind of damage. And before anyone says it, if you mention Monks and Spring Attack in a positive light you lose the argument.

And Quivering Palm is absolute horseshit.

This makes Monks poor Wizard killers in all ways, not to mention the ease of five-foot stepping, or the ease of concentration checks in general.
>> No. 127183
Okay people, enough mechanics. Back to thread topic with ye.
>> No. 127184
>>127182

>MAD is a flaw, they need all stats except Int and Cha, and even the former is needed to a degree.

Perhaps you can do what OVER 9000 trolls on /tg/ have been unable to- elucidate why. Aside from them "needing" high scores in every attribute just to keep on par with other classes, which is a fault of the class being underpowered, not badly balanced internally (which is what I consider MAD to be.) The mechanisms to avoid MAD were in place, just horrifically, woefully insufficient (as we've both noted, class bonus to AC is laughably low. Unearthed Arcana has a variant rule for an armor class progression, working much like the BAB progression; to aid swashbuckling campaigns or other games without armor, and it's notably more generous.)

>Nothing was fixed in the move from 3.0 to 3.5.

It's not nearly as cripplingly horrible. Having a separate, worse, BAB come into effect when using already-limited Monk weapons was just vile. At least now they can buy weapons with + enhancements and have it be somewhat worthwhile.

As for medium BAB and hit die, that alone doesn't vex me- it's the same BAB and hit die druids and clerics get, after all- but, you know, Druids and Clerics get something in return for the BAB/HD trade off. Monks get nifty things, but divine spellcasting, they ain't. This is especially problematic because a Monk seems like a character who's point is to slam their fist into people's faces, but they don't get the BAB/HD of a main melee class.

>This makes Monks poor Wizard killers in all ways

I don't know about that; Wizards have a d4 hit die and shit AC no matter how you spell it. But being underpowered counts against them just as much vs. Wizards as it does anywhere else. If it didn't, there wouldn't be so many "mage killer" prestige classes in the splat books.

tl;dr Monks are not a lurching abomination, just short-changed something fierce.
>> No. 127185
[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
[X] Just show the woman your invitation
>> No. 127187
>>127185
This seems like a decent choice. Keine needs to vent so of her building aggression. We shall thus AGGROPEASE.
>> No. 127189
[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
[X] Just show the woman your invitation
>> No. 127190
[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
[X] Just show the woman your invitation.
>> No. 127195
Anyone know how Monks are in the 4th edition?
>> No. 127199
>>127195

It only goes up to 3.5e.
There is no 4ed.
Never has been.
Never.
Never.
Never.
>> No. 127200
>>127199

Damn, is it really THAT Tsukihime anime bad?
>> No. 127201
[X] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
>> No. 127202
>>127200
I liked Tsukhime.
>> No. 127204
>>127199

Nerd.
>> No. 127205
>>127199
oh please; the same was said of 3.5 when it first came out and the same will be said of 4.5 or 5 when it comes out.

U MAD?
>> No. 127209
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/8/23/

Middle panel sums up all edition wars, ever.
>> No. 127210
>>127209
This always makes me smile. It still does little to lessen my contempt for 4th edition.

Regarding monks,
The Monk is a lesser class primarily because many of its abilities are either redundant or conflicting. What's left after taking those into account are abilities that are just useless (spell resistance vs. any caster who knows what they're doing), or can be done better/more often by casters (slow fall level 20 is worse than feather fall, character level 1; Quivering Palm once per week vs. multiple save-or-dies per day). Unarmed damage only surpasses that of a greatsword (50gp) at level 16, and even then you can enchant the greatsword to keep it relevant.

Redundant example: Abundant step and Empty body. Empty body doesn't keep you ethereal long enough to use it as anything but a way to walk through walls. Abundant step can also fulfill this role, provided you have some foreknowledge of the environment's layout. These really should have been one (possibly scaling) ability.

Conflicting example: Fast movement and Flurry of Blows. At level 9, Flurry of Blows stops blowing? catches up to the Monk's normal BAB, making it decent damage as far as the monk goes. Fast movement lets you play hit-and-run with either a ranged weapon... or spring attack, I guess. Flurry of Blows requires a full-round action, so it cannot be used with Fast movement. Since both get better as the class advances, you are missing out on more and more when you chose between them at higher levels.

Fun fact: If the monk gains the Pounce ability through multiclassing, this dissonance between FoB and fast movement goes away. What's the easiest way to get pounce? A one-level barbarian dip (using an alternate class feature from Complete Champion). Barbarians get penalties for not being chaotic (can't rage or gain future barbarian levels). A monk who stops being lawful can never take another monk level.

Pretty much the only things monks get right are the bonus feats and evasion. If you can get those and get out, like some prestige classes or Tashalatora let you do, you can end up with a decent character.
>> No. 127211
>>127195
Monks have good AoE attacks, good mobility, great control, all the flurry options are great, and they have good defenses all around. Overall, they're a great class, though they do suffer in a few departments. They're strikers, so their HP isn't all that great to begin with*, and they have terrible nova potential.

So 4e!Monks actually would work great as Wizard killers. And they do.

*Discounting Zuoken's Centering and Iron Soul, both of which alleviate the HP thing, to an extent.

>>127199
Problem, 3aboo?
>> No. 127212
File 128874060036.png - (0.97MB , 900x800 , alicecircutrysmall.png ) [iqdb]
127212
>>127211
Please, let's not start up edition wars here of all places or I'll have to flay your flesh and blood apart and fuse you to your computer in an unholy mingling of technoorganic virus.
>> No. 127213
>>127209
I had that comic in mind when I said my remark.

I've heard about a few broken Monk builds, but I forgot how much multi-classing they had.
>> No. 127214
File 128874184310.jpg - (105.96KB , 800x600 , shota048.jpg ) [iqdb]
127214
>>127212
The Beast! Power the Siege Cannon!
>> No. 127216
>>127212
Roger that.
>> No. 127217
File 128874288339.jpg - (76.15KB , 468x279 , magnets.jpg ) [iqdb]
127217
>>127214
>> No. 127218
This thread has gone horribly off track.
Anyway, here's my futile vote.

[ ] Just show the woman your invitation, and demand an apology, or you’ll mention the incident to her superiors.
>> No. 127219
[ ] Just show the woman your invitation, and demand an apology, or you’ll mention the incident to her superiors.
[ ] After playing keep away with the invitation, of course
>> No. 127221
>155 posts and 10 images omitted. Click Reply to view.
>One story post

Jesus Christ. This thread's already halfway to autosage.
>> No. 127222
>>127221
2 actually. But yeah, you Nerds really love this story.
>> No. 127223
[x] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.
>> No. 127224
I'd suggest that we'd be brutally honest with Meiling. Basically to tell her that, because her employers are bloodsucking undead parasites and abominations against the natural order, we were simply preparing our escape route and scouting out the premises, mostly because we enjoy NOT BEING FOOD!

This, of course, would come after Keine assumes direct control over the situation. Our dearest friend needs to left of some steam. Maybe also learn the stress relieving capacities of a good pun after defeating your foes.
>> No. 127225
Demetrious, would you be opposed to a discussion thread for this story in /words/?
>> No. 127226
>>127225
This. This all the way.
>> No. 127227
File 128876124591.jpg - (370.02KB , 1000x750 , meiling bloodied.jpg ) [iqdb]
127227
Why the rebalance monk when you can just throw in Vow of Poverty? Meiling should qualify.

Four levels of Fighter gives you 3 bonus feats and a fourth base attack, +1 BAB, and +2 Fort at the cost of -1 Ref & Will and 2d8 base damage instead of 2d10. The later class bonuses for the Monk are a joke; the only useful feature is the damage reduction which is made up for with VoP. Use those Fighter bonus feats to make up for the 2 feats required for VoP (specifically, Sacred Vow & VoP) and the third for weapon specialization which makes you deal already more damage than the 20th level monk. At level 20, Meiling would receive a 18 +Wis +Dex AC, be considered to be using a +5 magic/adamantine/lawful/good weapon, +15 energy resistance, have +3 to all saving throws (which more than makes up for the fighter dip), have a +8/+6/+4/+2 bonus to ability scores making MAD much less sad, get immunity to some mind affecting abilities and suffocation, like eight million (crappy, exalted) bonus feats, 10/evil DR which is superior to the 20th level monk's 10/magic, at will True Seeing and Freedom of Movement, and a bunch of other cool things Monks should have anyway. This and 16 SR, immunity to poison, +2 saves on enchantments, improved evasion, and most of the other important Monk class features.

In all likelihood Meiling will have higher saves and higher touch AC than the Wizard's CL, making fighting at any distance a truly dangerous proposition. Which it should be. The only problem when comparing to a pure Fighter is lower damage output (mostly from not being able to sacrifice BAB for Power Attack), but the monk should be going after opponents with low HD like spellcasters or using a specific disabling maneuver you decide to invest feats into like Improved Disarm (Monk bonus feat), Improved Trip (Monk bonus feat), or Improved Sunder (requires Power Attack, but bypassing that 20-point adamantine hardness makes those fists a real terror). The upside is that the Monk will survive just about anything: The Monk will usually save on save or die spells and even failed saves on B&B damage spells like Fireball or Meteor Swarm average out to 0 damage after the improved evasion and energy resistance.

Endure elements, not needing to eat or drink, and (slow) regeneration is flavorful fluff for Meiling. You'd get around the multiclass issue by taking Fighter levels first with the rationalization that Meiling started martial training before her ascetic life, which makes sense according to wushu films where kung fu practitioners become skilled in analogues of martial weapons like the dao and the butterfly sword. The rationalization behind VoP is that the features of the feat are to make up for in the loss of expected wealth (a 20th level Fighter is going to have at least +5 armor, a +5 weapon, ability boosting gauntlets and belts and so forth) but the monk normally can't do that much with that money except by things like bracers of deflection, and toward that I can't see Meiling wearing much in the way of magical armament.

Vow of Poverty? Ha ha ha.

Why not throw in the half-dragon template while we're at it?
>> No. 127228
4th ED isn't bad, but its too WoW for my taste.
>> No. 127234
>>127225
We had this discussion in pre-shitstorm GH, and it seemed a bit silly to me there, too. I guess if the D&D nerds would like a place for edition wars/non-story-related character builds/whatever else, it would be good, but anything vaguely story-related may as well stay here.
>> No. 127238
There was no update today... did the Mechanics debate frighten off Demetrious?
>> No. 127239
I thought that the way MC has been going on about how everyone has ridiculous bullshit powers and how the entire magic system is weird (not to mention the faith one) and how he has never seen youkais etc meant that gensokyo doesn't really abide to D&D rules.

Just a thought now that everyone seems to be going on about what class who is and trying to fit the characters into templates given to us by D&D, when it seems that the only thing from D&D is the wizard himself.
>> No. 127243
File 128878598812.jpg - (280.63KB , 800x600 , 40c7116ed10d908af65f3adfc99d1ed9[1].jpg ) [iqdb]
127243
>>127239
>I thought that the way MC has been going on about how everyone has ridiculous bullshit powers and how the entire magic system is weird (not to mention the faith one) and how he has never seen youkais etc meant that gensokyo doesn't really abide to D&D rules.
No, that's just the player character (who's running this wizard) griping on how much houserules are in the campaign. I mean WHAT THE HELL FREE USE TIMESTOP ARTIFACT THAT'S CRAZY
>>127214
AND WHY DO YOU KEEP FIRING THOSE AT ME ARG GRAZE GRAZE GRAZE CAN'T YOU LEAVE A HARMLESS HYPERSPACE ABOMINATION IN PEACE
>> No. 127252
>>127228
Stop posting shit posts, faggot.
>> No. 127256
File 128879372088.jpg - (2.59KB , 102x112 , images.jpg ) [iqdb]
127256
>>127243
We'll never stop fighting you, abomination! FIRE! We only need one good hit to put it down for good. Interception vector, maximum thrust!
>> No. 127262
>>127227
>Vow of Poverty
I just had a small conniption fit.
>> No. 127263
>>127262
That was a troll post.
>> No. 127265
Hey guys have I ever mentioned how awesome my halfling samurai/monk/truenamer with vow of poverty is?
>> No. 127266
>>127265
Okay, enough people. Really. Let's hope we didn't kill off Demetrious' muse with all this. Let's just wait patiently for the next update, mkay?
>> No. 127269
File 128881391850.jpg - (99.98KB , 464x514 , d29d6f5dc58dbfaa64503ad14142aaaa.jpg ) [iqdb]
127269
[x] Let’s let Keine handle this one. She seems to know this aggro redhead.


In the hundreds of violent battles and perilous quests you’ve undertaken in your short life, you’ve learned a few things. One, always be capable of putting a dagger in your hand, two, always have an escape route, and three, if something pissed off and powerful is charging, just get out of the way.

“Keine has the invitation,” you tell Meiling innocently. The woman relaxes her grip on your shirt-front a bit, but doesn’t release you; and doesn’t take her eyes off you, either. “Miss Kamishirasawa, may I see your invitation, please?”

“It’s right here,” Keine says, latching onto the front of Meiling’s shirt with both hands. Meiling squeaks in surprise, releasing you to defend herself, but Keine’s strike is too swift, her skull impacting so hard that the redhead’s green hat is left hovering in air for a moment.

Keine stands over Meililng, her fists balled. “How dare you treat my friend so shamefully!

Meiling brings her hands up defensively as she stares up at the angry schoolteacher. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I didn’t recognize you in that outfit!”

“Then perhaps you shouldn’t act so hastily when you know you’ve got guests arriving, you numbskull!” Keine leans over to accost the gate guard from close-range. Meiling scuttles backwards against the wall, and Keine leisurely pursues.

“I didn’t know!” Meiling wails in protest. “Nobody told me you were coming!”

That gives Keine a fraction of a second’s pause, but she’s still angry. “Thin excuse for punching my friend in the face!

“It’s my job to guard the mansion!” Meiling snaps back, defiant despite her fear. “How could you expect me to not do anything!? Every time Marisa gets in, Sakuya... she...” Meling’s voice trails off, and her eyes glisten.

“Well, here’s our invitation!” Keine says, pulling the crumpled card out of a pocket and slapping it into Meiling’s hand. “And you’d better apologize-”

“KEINE!” you shout, interrupting her tirade. “Lay off the poor girl. She’s got a point.” Keine straightens up and glances over her shoulder at you. “We did waltz in uninvited.” As you repeat Keine’s own words from earlier, the angry set to her features gives way to embarrassment. She bites her lip and looks away from you.

“But she hit you.”

“Compared to an ogre’s war-club, that was a love-tap,” you say, gently moving Keine out of the way. “Trust me, I’ve had worse.” You lean over and offer your hand to Meiling. She gingerly accepts it, and you help her up.

“Sorry about not checking in, or whatever,” you lie. “I didn’t think flying up to the Mansion in broad daylight qualified as ‘sneaking in.’ And then we kind of got lost.”

“Well... it’s pretty easy to get lost, yeah,” Meiling says, hugging her arms to herself. “I could show you around.... uh...”

“Something wrong?” you ask.

“Could you please not tell anybody about this?” she begs you quietly, her vibrant blue eyes regarding you plaintively. “About any of it? You getting in, and me punching you... I’d get in real trouble. Again.”

You quirk your moth skeptically. Giving up a chance to mock Sakuya and her vampire leash-holders about their pathetic security measures is a hard pill to swallow, and Meiling is working for those blood-suckers voluntarily. You’re about to say ‘no promises’ when you feel something tugging at your robe. You look down, and find Cirno giving you her best wide-eyed pout.

“Please do it,” Cirno says. “Meling’s always been nice to me.”

“She lives by the lake,” Meiling explains. “So we talk, sometimes.”

You feel yourself weaken under Cirno’s innocent blue gaze, and finally relent. “Okay, okay, not a word. As long as you show us to the dining room.”

Meiling looks surprised. “But dinner isn’t for another twenty minutes, yet.”

“I like to be punctual,” you lie. Meililng accepts this without question, and leads your group down the deserted halls towards the main dining room.

“Did you lose your hat?” Meiling asks Keine.

“I just didn’t think it matched the outfit,” Keine says.

“I guess it wouldn’t,” Meiling says. “It’s really pretty, too. What’s the occasion?” She cuts her eyes sideways at you as she says this.

“N-nothing!” Keine exclaims. “I just thought, you know, I should dress for the occasion.”

“Oh,” Meiling says. “Oh, wait, my hat!”

“I picked it up,” Cirno says cheerfully, and hands it back to her.

“Oh, thank you.” Meiling firmly settles her floppy green beret back on her head, giving it a little tilt. “Ah, here we are~” she says cheerfully as she stops in front of a giant set of double doors. Placing her palms against the burnished redwood panels, she strains mightily and throws the huge portal open.

You stand in the doorway, staring at the tableau before you. Your hand slowly dips into your pocket, and comes out with your wand of Fireball.

“Hey!” Cirno shouts, leaping up to grab your wrist. “What’s your problem!?”

“The room is swarming with fucking fairies, and you want to know... what my problem is,” you say in brittle tones. “Ha. Ah ha. Hahahaha.”

Meililng looks at you with surprise. “What’s wrong? They’re just the fairy maids.”

“So you’re telling me this entire mansion is filled with fairies.

“Yes?”

Your hand tightens on your wand. “It really is a lair of horror,” you say flatly. Reluctantly, you slip the wand back into your pocket. Stepping into the room, you gingerly pick your way through the hordes of fairies bustling through the room with various burdens like placemats, salt-shakers, and the like. A long train of small fairies float by with a long, long tablecloth for the huge dining table gripped in their tiny hands.

“So the fairies do everything around here?” Cirno asks.

“Kind of,” Meiling says. “Most of them aren’t too bright, so Sakuya and I have to do all the real work. Sakuya will be along soon to set the table and lay everything out, and I’ll help her.”

“Oh, she will?” you, say, a wicked glint sneaking into your eyes.


[ ] Let’s... surprise the head maid. Throw her off-balance a bit.
[ ] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.
[ ] Hide your trio and observe Sakuya clandestinely. It'd be informative to know if she's always a frozen bitch, or if she saves that for you.
>> No. 127270
File 128881439159.jpg - (448.65KB , 1024x768 , you_gonna_get_bounced.jpg ) [iqdb]
127270
>>127238

Not at all. I love it, in fact- it's like /tg/, but without the retards (so I guess it's not like /tg/ at all.) In fact, this guy: >>127210 gave one of the best run-downs of the Monk's problems I've seen. And given the nature of the story, D&D nerdage is part of the fun.

I'm just fine with a discussion thread in /words./ If one isn't up already, feel free to make one.

I'm very sorry for missing last night's update; a hypochondriac family member needed retrieval from the hospital, and that whole process ate my whole afternoon/night. I didn't get any course-work done, either.

>>127265
>>127228

"Caster Edition" wasn't your first /tg/ reference? For shame!
>> No. 127271
[X] Hide your trio and observe Sakuya clandestinely. It'd be informative to know if she's always a frozen bitch, or if she saves that for you.

More for the possibility of observing her with someone else, really; Sakuya may be a bitch, but I doubt she's going to antagonize us of her own accord, and Remilia is a likely candidate for our dream villain.
>> No. 127272
[X] Let’s... surprise the head maid. Throw her off-balance a bit.
Let's see what she's really made of.
>> No. 127273
[X] Hide your trio and observe Sakuya clandestinely. It'd be informative to know if she's always a frozen bitch, or if she saves that for you.
>> No. 127274
[x] Hide your trio and observe Sakuya clandestinely. It'd be informative to know if she's always a frozen bitch, or if she saves that for you.
>> No. 127275
[X] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.

Cirno likes Meiling, that's a good sign toward her personality.
>> No. 127276
[X] Take this chance to ask meiling/keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?

If his first reaction to lots of fairies is fireballing the whole lot, then i'd think that they would occupy his mind a bit longer than about 3 sentences.

...besides, the only thing we know of remilia at this point is her fate haxx ability (we do know that, right?), might as well use our 20 minutes for some last minute studying
>> No. 127277
File 128881653827.jpg - (89.73KB , 206x276 , 1267580971939.jpg ) [iqdb]
127277
>>127276

>If his first reaction to lots of fairies is fireballing the whole lot, then i'd think that they would occupy his mind a bit longer than about 3 sentences.

Oh, how right you are.
>> No. 127278
[X] Take this chance to ask meiling/keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?

This
>> No. 127279
[X] Take this chance to ask meiling/keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
>> No. 127280
>>[X] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.

LEADING TO

>>[X] Take this chance to ask meiling/keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?

Might as well butter her up a bit and get her in a good mood if we want answers anyways, and besides, any excuse to spend time with Meiling is worth it. WORTH IT.
>> No. 127281
[x] >>127278
[X] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.

It's better to name a friend than an enemy.
>> No. 127282
http://www.touhou-project.com/words/

Demetrious says D&D wank is good, but it's making the threads go too fast. So, let's keep it in /words/.
>> No. 127284
So is there something about D&D fairies in particular that is the cause of Wizardnon's apparent distaste for them, or does he just have some private fey-related trauma?
>> No. 127285
[x] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.
[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
>> No. 127286
>“Miss Kamishirasawa, may I see your invitation, please?”
>“It’s right here,” Keine says, latching onto the front of Meiling’s shirt with both hands. Meiling squeaks in surprise, releasing you to defend herself, but Keine’s strike is too swift, her skull impacting so hard that the redhead’s green hat is left hovering in air for a moment.

When she's not busy being pure sex, she's a bro & a badass.

>You look down, and find Cirno giving you her best wide-eyed pout.
>“Please do it,” Cirno says. “Meiling’s always been nice to me.”

Just like a real family.

[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling & Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importantly: WHY would she do such a thing?

I like the write-in. Also, honestly Sakuya hasn't been that mean considering we try to upstage her every chance we get.
>> No. 127287
>>127282
Don't put words in his mouth; he said he liked it and a discussion thread would be okay; not the same as "It's making things go too fast, we need a thread ASAP"

So how's about them D&D Essentials?
>> No. 127288
>>127284

Invisible pixies with Otto's Fucking Irresistible Dance.
>> No. 127289
[X] Take this chance to ask meiling/keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
>> No. 127290
[X] Take this chance to ask meiling/keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
>> No. 127291
[x] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.

Since we are (what we consider to be) "behind enemy lines" we should be making some friends.
Picking on Sakuya can wait.
Besides, revenge is a dish best served cold so if we want to get back at Sakuya for.. For... Wait, why are we so mad at her?
Because she is even more hax than a D&D wizard with her Unlimited Time Stop Works?
Because she is pretty much the only one so far who has been bossing us around instead of applauding our magical shenanigans?
Or just because she won't acknowledge the fact that ZUUL! is the most awesome piece of wizard ever to grace her pitiful existence with his glorious presence?
Anyway, if we want to get back at her we need to take it cool so we can get into a position to REALLY make her regret.. Whatever it is we want her to regret.
Just sneaking around might help, but a much easier and faster way would be to get some inside information.
Besides, I think Meiling would probably enjoy seeing Sakuya taken down a peg too.

[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?

Hide our inquiries in other small talk about everyone else living/working at the mansion so it won't be blatantly obvious.

[X]Don't forget to ask about the library.
>> No. 127292
>>127270
Well, it's alright. I mean, technically, it's the 3rd November and there's exactly 3 updates in this thread, which started on the 1st, making you not late at all. And family comes first, of course.

>>127286
Yup, that does seem like a wise course of action. I agree with your assessment of the situation with our companions.

Addendum : When Sakuya arrives, ask "Problem Sakuya?"
>> No. 127293
[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
[X] Do NOT forget to ask about the library.
>> No. 127294
>>127293
Oh yes, can't forget about the library. Technology trading... err... knowledge trading must follow dinner. Keine will surely approve as a teacher.
>> No. 127295
[X] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.

[X] Take this chance to ask meiling/keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?

We can do both, right?
>> No. 127296
[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?

Like people said, i have no idea why the Sakuya hate. Either this must be some sort of left over from when HY still wrote or... i don't know. It seems more likely that this whole party will end in a fight because the Guy just wants to pick a fight for shits and giggles. Grillinh faeries and such.
>> No. 127298
>>127270

Aces High II? Had some good times with that game, got a bit expensive though after I lost me job. I still think about popping back in from time to time though.

Oh yeah I should like probably not clog this thread up with more useless shit so...
[X] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.

[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling & Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importantly: WHY would she do such a thing?

If we want possibly long term access to the library it's probably best to play nice really.
>> No. 127299
>>127296
Okay, okay, let's not pick on Sakuya. It is wiser, and I should try to go for wisdom anyway.
>> No. 127300
File 12888237055.jpg - (187.00KB , 958x1068 , 15dc33d6105f49101933531ac3f6c61968ae515f.jpg ) [iqdb]
127300
>>127288

This anon just pegged it: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sprite.htm

FUCKING GRIGS
>> No. 127301
File 128882383549.jpg - (44.14KB , 419x710 , head_on_defeat.jpg ) [iqdb]
127301
>>127298

That particular screenshot is from IL-2, but I've played AHII, yeah. Decided to get out of it after I got tired of "BAAAW HEAD-ON RUNSTANG NUGGET BAAAW." Especially hateful to me because head-on newbies are the worst suckers in the game; pick related.
>> No. 127302
[x] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.
[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
>> No. 127303
>>127301
Good dogfighting technique. Would only work on rookies though.
>> No. 127304
[X] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.

Meilinging.
>> No. 127305
>>127303

Quite. Fortunately, the only people who fly piper-on-target all the way through the merge are the rank rookies.
>> No. 127307
File 128882597248.jpg - (59.84KB , 688x964 , hong meiling chibi pose_1.jpg ) [iqdb]
127307
>>127302

Another vote for this. Meiling is love, and any chance we can get to befriend her is time well spent
>> No. 127308
>>127305
Very true. Not everyone bothers to study old AARs from WW2 to learn how to dogfight before starting to play (I do, historian by trade), so they make rookie mistakes. Only difference is, they don't die permanently from them.

That said, we're heading for auto-sage rather fast, wouldn't you say? People do like to ponder their decisions long and hard in this thread.
>> No. 127311
[x] Hide your trio and observe Sakuya clandestinely. It'd be informative to know if she's always a frozen bitch, or if she saves that for you.

Remilia might be pissed if she thinks we were forced to set our own table.
>> No. 127322
>>127288
I lol'd. Then I got hit by 1 damage per creature for 20 turns.
Then I died.

[x] Helping meiling option
>> No. 127336
[x] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.
[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
[x] Don't forget to ask about the library.
>> No. 127346
Wait a second. Keine... + Meiling...

It's YWUIG all over again.
>> No. 127347
>>127346
What are you talking about? For the benefit of the Freaking New Guys who don't know what you're babbling about?
>> No. 127350
>>127347
I suppose a reference to You Wake up in Gensokyo is a bit dated at this point.
>> No. 127355
>“Please do it,” Cirno says. “Meling’s always been nice to me.”

>“She lives by the lake,” Meiling explains. “So we talk, sometimes.”

>You feel yourself weaken under Cirno’s innocent blue gaze, and finally relent. “Okay, okay, not a word. As long as you show us to the dining room.”

Excuse me, but... Dawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Also, a question: is it just standard DnD stuff that fairies tend to be unholy terrors of the earth, or did our wizard have a really bad experience with fairies in general in the past or something that his first impulse is to roast the lot?

[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
[X] Do NOT forget to ask about the library.
>> No. 127356
>>127346
Most people here don't even know WUIG.
>> No. 127361
>>127346
Only this time done right, hopefully.
Stay on target, anonymous.

[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
[X]Don't forget to ask about the library.
>> No. 127362
>>127356

That is a load of shit.
>> No. 127365
File 128883872425.jpg - (55.36KB , 622x461 , 622px-Garven_Dreis.jpg ) [iqdb]
127365
>>127361
STAY ON TARGET!!!
>> No. 127366
[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
[X] Do NOT forget to ask about the library.

--

On the reason that Sakuya is disliked, it comes from when we came back to find her threatening Keine and Cirno over us. The time-hax was just a cherry on top of all that.
>> No. 127368
>>127346
Now now, not even sure if such a thing is possible. We're better off focusing on Keine, but still being friendly with Meiling if all goes well.
>> No. 127369
[ ] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.

Although I'm worrying that Sakuya will scold her for letting a guest help out.
>> No. 127372
>>127368
Keine route is superior. We have to stay on target, as Red Leader periodically reminds us.
>> No. 127383
>>127355
>Also, a question: is it just standard DnD stuff that fairies tend to be unholy terrors of the earth, or did our wizard have a really bad experience with fairies in general in the past or something that his first impulse is to roast the lot?
It's mainly old mythology and legends that paint faeries as gigantic unrepentant jackasses, baby-stealing assholes, creepily whimsical life-ruining otherworldly cuntbadgers, and complete monsters who treat people like cattle to farm for giggles.

So yeah, D&D took from those stories and now we have a justified first reaction of "roast first, ask questions after you're sure the cockburglar is good, crispy, and non-responsive to any and all external stimuli."
>> No. 127391
>>127356
>Most people here don't even know WUIG.

This saddens me more than you can imagine.
I hope that everyone has at least read MiG.
>> No. 127392
>>127383
>So yeah, D&D took from those stories and now we have a justified first reaction of "roast first, ask questions after you're sure the cockburglar is good, crispy, and non-responsive to any and all external stimuli."

To be fair, this is exactly how fairies are treated in Gensokyo by most of the other residents.
>> No. 127394
>>127392
Faeries are jerks, what else is new.
>> No. 127399
File 128884525917.jpg - (211.52KB , 999x999 , 1288615976614.jpg ) [iqdb]
127399
Just remember, anons, no matter how adorable she is, and how much we like her, she is still a fairy. In fact, she's "the strongest!" and that makes her just that much more dangerous.

Just sayin'.
>> No. 127401
>>127346
You're only now noticing that? And Cirno, to boot.

>>127362
Enraging, more like. But never mind MiG, Everyone here should goddammit go read YWUiG. This is not in the sense of people on /v/ urging others to go play some or another game that they think is good, but more GO READ THE FIRST STORY THAT GAVE LIFE TO THESE BOARDS, YOU UNAPPRECIATIVE BASTARDS.
>> No. 127405
File 128884575151.jpg - (249.94KB , 997x1000 , Cirno VS the Tarrasque.jpg ) [iqdb]
127405
>>127399

Of course our daughter is the strongest. Who the hell do you think she is?
>> No. 127406
YWUIG?
>> No. 127408
File 128884632185.jpg - (99.89KB , 507x507 , 1288612775886.jpg ) [iqdb]
127408
>>127405
>> No. 127409
>>127405

That purplish faggot? Fucked. Don't mess with Cirno, bitch.
>> No. 127414
>>127401
It's nice to see that there are at least a few people here who know how to be reasonable and polite.
>> No. 127416
>>127406
You wake up in Gensokyo, the story that literally started this site.
>> No. 127419
>>127401

Would, but the archive doesn't have it for download. A reference would be nice.
>> No. 127420
>>127419
Both the archive and the story list have it as the very first listing.
The threads from 4chan are on easymodo, of course, and there are links too everything else, although thread 39 is down.
>> No. 127422
>>127401
I really wish all the new people would at least look at the Story List and skip through the Story Recommendation Threads that people took their time to bring older stories to newer people. Instead of just sticking to one Story.

Whoever wants to give it a try, rad:
Misadventures in Gensokyo, Expectation of Sanguine Disorder, THIS SHRINE, A Scarlet-Stained Memoir.

Feel free to look at the Story List in /gensokyo/. You can hardly miss it. Or you can make a Thread there asking for recommendations or whatever else interests you.
>> No. 127425
>>127419

This is usually where I make a remark on how new you seem to be, but it really can be confusing to someone who just doesn't know where to start.

First, go here, http://archive.easymodo.net/cgi-board.pl/jp/

Those are the /jp/ archives. The numbers listed in yellow on our story archive page under Waking Up In Gensokyo are thread numbers. Enter 226131 into the 'View post' field on easymodo to get started.
>> No. 127426
[x] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.
[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
>> No. 127430
[x] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.
[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importantly: WHY would she do such a thing?
[x] Don't forget to ask about the library.

Well, I have read almost all of stories in TH-P but WUiG. Saving that for another time. Most memorable ones I have read are THIS SHRINE, Scarlet-Stained Memoir, SDM LA, DoLF R:1 and MiG. Ah good times. Shit hits the fan and brain cells dying when reading those stories.

Forest LA and Youkai Mountain LA would have been great thing to read if weren't for the authors leave all of the sudden, leaving their work unfinished.
>> No. 127436
>>127372
That's my point, but it's no reason to be a dick to possible friends... at least as non-dickish as the MC can get.
>> No. 127437
[x] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.
[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
God damn. Could not vote yesterday.
>> No. 127439
>>127437
Also,
Meiling~
I'm glad we're friendly towards certain people at least
>> No. 127449
[X] Take this chance to ask meiling/keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
>> No. 127451
I'd personally advise not actually helping set up the tables, since guests helping the gate guard set up a meal is worth three stabbings.
>> No. 127453
File 128886877171.jpg - (549.32KB , 881x1000 , 2d549cd7f901fc310c4e90d072ad113b.jpg ) [iqdb]
127453
What's for dinner, Sakuya? A baked wizard?
>> No. 127480
>I'd personally advise not actually helping set up the tables, since guests helping the gate guard set up a meal is worth three stabbings.

Don't you think in that case the gate guard would firmly reject our offer to help?
>> No. 127492
[┼] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.
[┼] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importantly: WHY would she do such a thing?
>> No. 127497
[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
[X] Do NOT forget to ask about the library.
>> No. 127513
>>127480
A wholly rational person in full coherency of her senses and time to think about the situation would. Meiling's already in trouble for not announcing the guest has entered the building, she's going to be in more trouble for not having the table set up in time, she might not think it through after her own headbutt.
>> No. 127514
[x] Offer to help Meiling get the table set up. It’d be helpful to have a friend inside the Mansion.
[x] Take this chance to ask Meiling/Keine more about your host, how she managed to get fairies to work for her in such numbers and most importanly: WHY would she do such a thing?
>> No. 127516
Okay, I think we've covered all the normal voters. Might as well wait for the next thread/update.
>> No. 127564
Demetrious Poliorcetes, son of Antigonos Monopthalmos, hast thou forsaken us? Time hast past and none have spoken since. Will you post once more, o Besieger of Cities, and sate the thirst of thine followers for more of this tale?
>> No. 127583
>>127564
Stop talking like that. If a writer is lazy you just say "Get back to work Nigger"
>> No. 127590
File 128893354539.gif - (49.56KB , 798x560 , k.gif ) [iqdb]
127590
>>127583
I agree.

Fellow african-american, please, return to your job as soon as possible
>> No. 127595
File 128893698379.gif - (130.91KB , 500x365 , 1272502875009.gif ) [iqdb]
127595
NEW THREAD

>>127594

SLEEP IS FOR PUSSIES

REAL MEN UPDATE

OOOH-RAH