[Return]
Archived Thread

File 128730280169.jpg - (81.65KB , 720x479 , 1285902027023.jpg ) [iqdb]
125518 No. 125518
In which a Wizard meets Touhous.

Thread 1: >>123033
Thread 2: >>124226
Thread 3: >>124917

----------------------------------------
[X] “You know nothing of Zuul!”


The way Sakuya casually intercepted your whirling blade indicates Keine wasn’t lying about Sakuya’s competence. Which lends credence to her other warning from yesterday; something about Sakuya “stuffing your underwear up your nose” if you tried any wiseass shit with her.

Thus, you decide to apply a tried and true maxim- when you cannot intimidate with prowess, baffle with bullshit.

“You. Know. Nothing of Zuul!” you intone dramatically, crossing your arms imperially and raising your chin a bit. It’s at times like these that your preference for traditional wizard attire pays off. “In fact...” you stroke your chin, “...sometimes not even I know Zuul.”

You notice Sakuya’s brow twitch involuntarily. Having seen her full, unconcealed bafflement expression from your stunt at the shop, you recognize a little of it here.

“... Well.” She says after a long moment. She retrieves a small envelope from her pocket, and gently tosses it to you. You catch it. “My mistress Remilia Scarlet, would love to know ‘Zuul’ a little better,” she says. “In her words, ‘I do love a person who knows how to make an entrance’.”

You don’t open the envelope. “I suppose your mistresses hospitality extends to my companions, as well?”

“She didn’t expect you to have any, after only two days in Gensokyo,” Sakuya observes, “but she would not be adverse to it.”

“Very well. I shall consider it.”

“Please do.” Sakuya looks towards your legs, where Cirno is peeking out from behind your robes. “Hey. Cirno.”

“Y-yes?” the little fairy replies nervously.

“Nice hat.” Sakuya puts her hands in her pockets, and promptly vanishes from before your eyes.

“God-damned cheaterriffic timehax bullshit,” you grumble, and turn over the envelope in your hands inquisitively. Looking up, you notice Youmu giving you a flinty-eyed look.

“What?”

“After all that static you gave me over being a gardener, a half-phantom and a sword-wielding ghost hunter-” she strokes her chin in exaggerated parody- “Sometimes not even I know Zuul!”

“At least with me, it’s an act,” you point out.

“I’ve seen circuses with less acts,” she says, crossing her arms defiantly. “Now if you’re quite finished, I need to report my findings to my mistress.” Spinning deftly on her heel, she takes to the air.

“Well, well, she does have some teeth,” you comment, watching her climb away... until a sharp blow behind your knee knocks you down.

“LOOKING! SKIRTS!” Cirno yells, one little balled fist waiving under your nose.

“So I like legs!” you shout, picking yourself up off the ground. “It’s an aesthetic appreciation!”

“Ass-hetic!?”

“Art!” you exclaim. “Like enjoying a flower! Chaste appreciation of beauty!” You sigh gustily. “Being physically assaulted for having taste,” you say in wounded tones. “Will injustices never cease?”

“I’ve never seen anybody stare at a flower the way you stare at teacher’s a-”

“We’ve got to hurry if we’re gonna catch up to Miss Not Amused,” you interrupt. “Let’s hustle.”

****

Floating high above the earth, robes damp from the water vapor of the clouds, you contemplate the entrance to the netherworld. Towering ebony gates reach high above the top of the cloud eddying ‘round your feet. Dark, effervescent forms seem to swim just underneath the surface of the lacquered wood.

“Are... you sure we should go in?” Cirno asks nervously. “I mean... we could just wait for her to come out...”

“And let her have all the fun? As if.” You think the matter of entry over a minute longer; the featureless, smooth doors have no handles.

“Youmu can probably get through because she’s half-phantom...” you muse. “Keine must know a way around... but if I was ethereal, like a ghost... yeah, that should do nicely.”

You cast Blink- and vanish.

“Where’d you go!?” Cirno shouts. You reappear a few feet closer to the door.

“Rela”

“Where are you!? she cries again.

“ust randomly shifti”

“What!?”

“OW!” you say, reappearing by the gate, rubbing your nose. “Fucking random ti”

“What kind of stupid spell is this!?” Cirno complains, her alarm turning into puzzlement.

The tall ebony gates suddenly part, swinging open ponderously on silent hinges. A slowly eddying veil of eldritch mist is revealed, strange shapes and patterns seeming to coalesce and disperse with every passing moment.

Cirno stares into the mist with eyes wide as dinner plates, edging away a little.

Ciiiirnooo.....

“Eeaaah!” the little fairy screams, clapping her hands over her ears.

Come in... Cirno.....

“NO!” she screams in terror. “I’M NOT A GHOST! YOU C-CAN’T HAVE ME!”

Your head and shoulders appear through the veil as you thrust your upper body through. “Sorry, the veil messes with my voice. Come on, we don’t have all day.”

The netherworld defies your expectations; seeming like some hybrid between the Ethereal Plane and the Plane of Shadow. The stark color contrasts of the Shadow are evident; but so is the fuzzy, otherworldly brilliance of ordinary objects seen from the Ethereal Plane. Bright, indistinct canopies of leaves grow from sharply-defined branches of shadow. White clouds almost too vibrant to look at drift slowly through the pitch-black vault of the sky.

“Not so bad, is it?” you say to Cirno.

“It’s... wow,” she agrees.

“I wonder what this is, exactly...” you muse aloud. “A demiplane of its own, or a side-pocket in the Deep Ethereal... I’ve never seen anything quite like this.”

At length, you spot the outbuildings of what you assume is ‘Hakugyokurou’. You spot a spirit bustling about and ask for directions, and you’re told that Yuyuko is expecting you, and tells you how to get to the courtyard. For once, Cirno declines to take cover behind you; probably because the spirit appears perfectly ordinary in his own realm.

You manage to find the courtyard, and take a moment to boggle at its sheer size. Most of it seems occupied by a giant garden. You spot Keine and another woman whom you assume is Yuyuko sitting on a bench somewhere near the middle, their backs to you. Cirno in tow, you walk towards the pair. You’re almost within hailing distance when you spot Youmu striding briskly down a side-path with a tray of drinks in her hands.

Cirno, ever excitable, rushes off. A row of small olive trees, standing a bit higher then the little fairy mostly conceal her approach from Youmu, who’s focused on not letting her cargo slosh. Bright, glowing olive leaves brushed from the branches soon coat her hair. Cirno explodes from underneath the last olive tree, arms spread wide in greeting.

“HEY YOUMU! I LOVE GHOSTWORLD!”

Youmu shrieks, recoiling swiftly, the tray and drinks flying through the air. She lands square on her ass, and is already scuttling away before she recognizes her assailant.

“Everything’s so bright and pretty and it’s, like, so clean and dreamy. You never said your home was so cool!”

You try to choke down the laughter, knowing it’ll be hard to stop if you don’t, but it comes anyway, flowing out of you in relentless tides. Helpless, you kneel, your belly hurting as mirth paralyzes you.

“What’d I do?” Cirno asks, puzzled.

Finally, the laughter subsides, and you’re able to stand upright again. Yuyuko is standing before you, grinning foolishly herself. She’s a pretty ghost, and her warm maroon eyes twinkle with amusement. “Hello! I’m Yuyuko Saigyouji. Just call me Yuyuko. You must be Keine’s new friend?”

“That’s me,” you acknowledge, and introduce yourself.

“That wasn’t funny,” Youmu grumbles fiercely from the pathway.

“That was hilarious,” Keine says with delight, coming up behind Yuyuko. “Youmu told us about what she found with the ghosts. You didn’t get into any other trouble, I hope?”

“Depends on what you call this,” you say, fishing out the envelope Sakuya gave you and handing it over. You checked it for magical traps thoroughly on the way over.

Keine opens it and reads. “Invitation to the Scarlet Devil Mansion!?” she says in alarm. “Oh gods, they know you’re here!”

“Had to happen sooner or later,” you point out, unconcerned.

“Still...” she says unhappily. “Where did you find this?”

“In Sakuya’s hand. She snuck up on us at the house.”

Keine rounds on Youmu, who’s picking up the remains of the drinking glasses off the walkway. “Why didn’t you SAY anything about this!?”

“Sakuya gave him an invitation. What’s so remarkable about that?” Youmu asks, surprised.

Keine shakes her head. reading the brief invitation again. “Dinner, tonight,” she muses. “And accommodations till morning, if desired. You didn’t accept this, did you?”

“I said I’d think about it.”

Keine says nothing more, but from the way she crushes the invitation in her hand, you suspect she’s not keen on the matter. “We’ll worry about this later. Yuyuko has some ideas about the ghosts.”

Yuyuko returns to the bench and pats the spot beside her. You sit. “History,” she begins, “is a long path back to the origin of the tale. No matter how long a spirit exists, that history is an indelible link to what came before. Always present, even if unremembered.” She sighs. “As well I know.”

You think of those dreams that come once or twice a month; the cyclic kaleidoscope of your past battles and trials, spinning round and round till you’re hurled off the carousel of dreams into consciousness. “True,” you say softly. “Perhaps, better that way.”

“How so?” Yuyuko asks, curious.

“You wrap the links ‘round yourself, and they just weigh you down,” you reply. “Like... nevermind,” you interrupt yourself sharply. “You were saying?”

“Yes, history. Indelible,” she continues. “Which is why giving a ghost’s remains a proper burial dissipates their potential to manifest in the real world, sometimes- no matter what, they’re linked to their past. So to affect a ghost at all...”

“... a link to their past,” you muse. “Makes sense. For one or three or five, that is. But a whole clusterfuck of ‘em?”

“Interesting, isn’t it?” She chuckles. “Short of digging up the village cemetery, it hardly seems possible, does it?”

“I suppose...” you muse. History. “The real problem is, it doesn’t jell. Hordes by definition supplant quantity for quality. So it has to be easy to get them in quantity, especially since most of the people who matter in Gensokyo already get bullshit insane power for free..”

“But they can never get a free lunch with them,” Yuyuko says, chuckling. “Remiu beats up people all the time and wonders why nobody donates to her shrine.”

“The trick is to pick one person you like,” you confide, “and beat the shit out of everybody else.”

“And that gets you a free lunch?” Yuyuko queries.

“Keine’s been feeding me for a few days now,” you point out. Yuyuko giggles merrily. “You picked pretty good, I’d say. Marisa only cooks mushrooms. Yes, I heard about that; with my spirits there’s little I don’t.”

“Eh, where’s Keine?” you say suddenly, looking about. You spot her a few benches over, near some rosebushes. She waves.

“She’s waiting for us to finish,” Yuyuko says. “She’s got her own theory on whom might be manipulating the spirits. She already told me.” Yuyuko rises. “I’ll let you two talk; Youmu’s expecting instructions on how to deal with this whole fracas.” The pretty, sociable ghost princess’s feet move, but she only seems to glide over the stones of the pathway.

You rise and stretch a little, watching Yuyuko depart. She seems straightforward enough, but... you shake your head. You’ll come back to that after you’ve observed her more, you decide as you walk to Keine’s bench.

--------------------

It's 4AM, and this is a nice long update already. I'll polish and post the rest when I wake.

>> No. 125528
[x] Stare at Yuyuko's tits.
>> No. 125529
[x] Stare at Yuyuko's ass.
>> No. 125531
File 128731823788.jpg - (132.17KB , 561x923 , db33ad6595b7cf09e02b4b6fb52fc144.jpg ) [iqdb]
125531
[x] Tell Yuyuko she got a real fine ass there. You never knew that the undead could be that sexy.
>> No. 125532
>“I’ve never seen anybody stare at a flower the way you stare at teacher’s a-”
Oh, we're looking at a flower, alright.

[x] Stare at Yuyuko's massive, perfect ethereal hotness.
>> No. 125535
[X] Consider telling Yuyuko about her fine ass but hesitate, remembering royalty with a sense of humour might just take that as a compliment to keep you around for. Or kill you. Or both, in this case, recalling what her at-will power was.
[X] Looking probably couldn't hurt, though.
>> No. 125536
>You’ll come back to that after you’ve observed her more, you decide as you walk to Keine’s bench.

[X] Observe Yuyuko more.
>> No. 125539
[x] Brace for Cirno kick in retaliation for your discreetly lewd observations
>> No. 125540
>It's 4AM, and this is a nice long update already. I'll polish and post the rest when I wake.

[x] Just wait for the rest of the fucking update.

>“HEY YOUMU! I LOVE GHOSTWORLD!”

So I'm bailing this town~♫
Or tearing it down~♫
Or probably more like hanging around~♫

>> No. 125544
Why are you guys voting?
>> No. 125546
>>125544
Dunno.

>“Ciiiirnooo.....”
>“Eeaaah!” the little fairy screams, clapping her hands over her ears.
>“Come in... Cirno.....”
>“NO!” she screams in terror. “I’M NOT A GHOST! >YOU C-CAN’T HAVE ME!”
>Your head and shoulders appear through the veil as you thrust your upper body through. “Sorry, the veil messes with my voice”
Heh.
>> No. 125547
>>125544
Well, based on the fact that most of the responses involve Yuyuko's ass, I'd say most of them are idiots. Unless they're trying to make Keine jealous. But it could just hurt Keine's feelings. Keine. Keine. KEINEKEINEKEINEKEINEKEINEKEINEKEINE THIS IS THE ONLY PATH WE-

-Ahem. Uh, disregard that.
>> No. 125548
>Your head and shoulders appear through the veil as you thrust your upper body through. “Sorry, the veil messes with my voice”
I doubt the veil had to do anything with his voice.


But one thing, from the amount of abuses memories Cirno has received from MC so far, it'll be depressing when it's the time for them to part.
>> No. 125551
>>125547
Calling peoples idiots isn't the best way to be sure they'll vote like you.
Besides, Keine don't know yet for our peeping habit. So we can stare ass as much as we want.
>> No. 125552
File 128732732397.jpg - (124.30KB , 600x800 , 126f71c94a7e65e3db4efe059af8fe10201e6209.jpg ) [iqdb]
125552
>>125548
What? Why would we leave our first apprentice?
>> No. 125557
>>125552
To mentally scar her more, duh.
>> No. 125559
>>125557

I approve.
>> No. 125561
Goddamn this story updates constantly every day and I still find myself waiting excitedly for updates.
>> No. 125562
>>125561
Same here, Im refreshing the page every few hours.
>> No. 125563
>>125547
>implying this quest has "paths" of any kind other than "AWESOME or AWESOME?"
>implying Yuyuko wouldn't enjoy being perved on
>> No. 125564
File 128734838346.jpg - (229.62KB , 620x877 , d2d5af6934059c84f0220acd272e296a6049bbfd.jpg ) [iqdb]
125564
Your schoolteacher benefactor is looking down, scribbling furiously in a notebook. She’s doffed her hat, which is sitting on the bench next to her. The ethereal radiance of the netherworld has touched her bluish-white hair, a resplendent luminous cascade framing her face. Her dress has taken on the dark crisp solidity of the Shadow. Between them- her face, lips pursed in thought, her light skin faintly luminous. The rosebushes behind her are tall and full; brilliant leaves contrasting with dark red roses, and Keine’s dress.

A rose-

“Oh!” she says suddenly, looking up at you. For a long moment she examines you, blue eyes betraying surprise.

It passes. “Sorry, didn’t mean to keep you. Just putting down some notes.” She pats the dark stone bench near her, and you sit down.

“So Yuyuko says you’ve a theory-”

“Later,” she interrupts abruptly, and you shut up. “First, I want to talk about Youmu. Or more specifically, why you blanched like you’d seen a ghost when you first laid eyes on her.”

Oh, shit.

“Well I-”

“If you say ‘I did see a ghost,’ I’ll beat you,” Keine says gently, but firmly. “And she’s a phantom, anyways.”

“Oh,” you reply, nonplused. “Uh, right.”

“So. Why did the sight of little old Youmu shock you so bad?”

“It was... deja vu, after a fashion. Very strong.”

“Almost like it wasn’t the first time you’d seen her,” Keine says pointedly, and you can’t conceal your shock.

“Wha-ah-how-”

“That first night you slept at my place- the tossing and turning, the mumbling in your sleep- well.” She cocks her head a little, studying you. “I suspected you weren’t giving me the whole story, but when you nearly had a heart attack when you saw Youmu, I knew. You dreamed about her, didn’t you?”

“Buh-but- I didn’t know Youmu existed, I thought-”

“Don’t give me that!” Keine says sternly. “Not somebody like you! You know, you know metaphysics better then that. Why didn’t you tell me!?”


[ ] Write-in (encouraged!)
[ ] “... I was scared. A premonition... that’s never happened to me before.”
[ ] “There’s a lot of things I don’t tell anyone. I keep my own counsel... my demons are my own.”
[ ] “I’d just met you... I wasn’t sure how far to trust you.”
---------------

Note: Write-ins preferred for this one. Options provided for the lazy.
>> No. 125565
[w] "Because women never bring me anything but wounds. If I told you that I dreamed about another woman, you may hurt me by jealousy. That's why I didn't told you anything."

Just a try. Totally OOC, and a 100% death flag, but I wanna see Keine's face hearing THAT.
>> No. 125566
[x] Write-in (encouraged!)
>> No. 125567
[x] "Because women never bring me anything but wounds. If I told you that I dreamed about another woman, you may hurt me by jealousy. That's why I didn't told you anything."
>> No. 125570
File 128735432429.jpg - (10.90KB , 250x181 , data laugh.jpg ) [iqdb]
125570
>>125566
>lol'ed

Also, the voting options (or variations thereof) are just fine. Write-ins are express permission to go wild, not a requirement. It's a CYOA, emphasis on You.
>> No. 125571
File 128735467352.jpg - (83.66KB , 1024x851 , cirno and knight.jpg ) [iqdb]
125571
>>125569
>ellipses

... yeah, you're right about that.
>> No. 125572
[x] “There’s a lot of things I don’t tell anyone. I keep my own counsel... my demons are my own.”

I'm perfectly fine with this line of thinking, unless someone ends up giving us some sort of fuckwin option to wandbagon over.
>> No. 125574
[x] “... I was scared. A premonition... that’s never happened to me before.”
[x] “I’d just met you... I wasn’t sure how far to trust you.”

My lack of creativity makes me sad.
>> No. 125575
[x] “There’s a lot of things I don’t tell anyone. I keep my own counsel... my demons are my own.”
>> No. 125578
[X] "Take a wild guess what that dream was about. Go on, guess. Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dieing is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? OK, I admit I probably should have told you this morning since you proved you can put up with my antics, but between Marisa stealing my spellbooks, being spied upon and the spirits haunting your house, it just slipped to the back of my mind."
>> No. 125580
[X] "Take a wild guess what that dream was about. Go on, guess. Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? OK, I admit I probably should have told you this morning since you proved you can put up with my antics, but between Marisa stealing my spellbooks, being spied upon and the spirits haunting your house, it just slipped to the back of my mind."
>> No. 125581
[X] "Take a wild guess what that dream was about. Go on, guess. Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? OK, I admit I probably should have told you this morning since you proved you can put up with my antics, but between Marisa stealing my spellbooks, being spied upon and the spirits haunting your house, it just slipped to the back of my mind."
>> No. 125582
>>125578
[x]this
>> No. 125583
>>125578

[x] Definitely this.
>> No. 125584
[x] “... I was scared. A premonition... that’s never happened to me before.”
[x] “I’d just met you... I wasn’t sure how far to trust you.”
>> No. 125585
[X] "Take a wild guess what that dream was about. Go on, guess. Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? OK, I admit I probably should have told you this morning since you proved you can put up with my antics, but between Marisa stealing my spellbooks, being spied upon and the spirits haunting your house, it just slipped to the back of my mind."
>> No. 125588
[X] "Take a wild guess what that dream was about. Go on, guess. Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for half of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? OK, I admit I probably should have told you this morning since you proved you can put up with my antics, but between Marisa stealing my spellbooks, being spied upon and the spirits haunting your house, it just slipped to the back of my mind."
Half of a day, not all of a day.
>> No. 125590
[x]that write-in
>> No. 125592
[X]Whatever wins, but with an apology on the end. Be polite!
>> No. 125593
Previous vote deleted.

[X] "Take a wild guess what that dream was about. Go on, guess. Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for half of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? OK, I admit I probably should have told you this morning since you proved you can put up with my antics, but between Marisa stealing my spellbooks, being spied upon and the spirits haunting your house, it just slipped to the back of my mind."
>> No. 125594
[X] "Take a wild guess what that dream was about. Go on, guess. Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dieing is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? OK, I admit I probably should have told you this morning since you proved you can put up with my antics, but between Marisa stealing my spellbooks, being spied upon and the spirits haunting your house, it just slipped to the back of my mind."
>> No. 125595
You don't need to ask her to guess because she apparently already knows. Don't act defensive but don't contradict yourself either. You owe Keine a lot, but don't mistake debt for craven fealty. You didn't do anything wrong.

[x] "Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? Aren't you a little suspicious of me now?"
-[x] "What is most disturbing is that I have no idea how you know this. In fact I find it more disturbing than the dream itself. From the beginning you were very forward that you would be keeping an eye on me, and because you helped me out so much, that was acceptable, but I'd have thought you would know by now that I take it very personally when people spy on me without my knowledge. And don't dare tell me it was 'deduction'. Unless a dream larva stuck a note on my back while I was thrashing about, there's no way you could have drawn a direct connection between seeing a ghost as, surprise, a ghost--or phantom, or half-phantom, or whatever--and the inner workings of my deranged mind."
-[x] "And metaphysics? I'm a wizard, not an academic, and I'm certainly no expert on what constitutes 'dire portent' and what constitutes 'batshit crazy' in this plane. So, enlighten me professor, what do my morbid dreams have to do with your status quo?"

Call into question her motivations. Chastise her lack of tact. Imply she's lording privileged knowledge over you by professing ignorance as to the relevance of the question, and at the same time draw the full explanation out of her.

Sure, it could degenerate into a shouting match. But for one reason or another, she's stuck with you. After having been seen with you by too many of Gensokyo's finest, she'll be held responsible for your actions, so she can't cut you loose without risk to her reputation. That might be why she's freaking over this (seemingly) little thing; she nearly blew her lid when you accepted Sakuya's invitation at her home, making a liar out of her.
>> No. 125598
What is this shit. Two fantastic write-ins for one decision? What the fuck man. I can't decide which one to go for. Oh, whatever.

[x] "Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? Aren't you a little suspicious of me now?"
-[x] "What is most disturbing is that I have no idea how you know this. In fact I find it more disturbing than the dream itself. From the beginning you were very forward that you would be keeping an eye on me, and because you helped me out so much, that was acceptable, but I'd have thought you would know by now that I take it very personally when people spy on me without my knowledge. And don't dare tell me it was 'deduction'. Unless a dream larva stuck a note on my back while I was thrashing about, there's no way you could have drawn a direct connection between seeing a ghost as, surprise, a ghost--or phantom, or half-phantom, or whatever--and the inner workings of my deranged mind."
-[x] "And metaphysics? I'm a wizard, not an academic, and I'm certainly no expert on what constitutes 'dire portent' and what constitutes 'batshit crazy' in this plane. So, enlighten me professor, what do my morbid dreams have to do with your status quo?"
>> No. 125599
[x] "Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? Aren't you a little suspicious of me now?"
-[x] "What is most disturbing is that I have no idea how you know this. In fact I find it more disturbing than the dream itself. From the beginning you were very forward that you would be keeping an eye on me, and because you helped me out so much, that was acceptable, but I'd have thought you would know by now that I take it very personally when people spy on me without my knowledge. And don't dare tell me it was 'deduction'. Unless a dream larva stuck a note on my back while I was thrashing about, there's no way you could have drawn a direct connection between seeing a ghost as, surprise, a ghost--or phantom, or half-phantom, or whatever--and the inner workings of my deranged mind."
-[x] "And metaphysics? I'm a wizard, not an academic, and I'm certainly no expert on what constitutes 'dire portent' and what constitutes 'batshit crazy' in this plane. So, enlighten me professor, what do my morbid dreams have to do with your status quo?"
>> No. 125602
[X]Whatever wins, but with an apology on the end.

Cause goddamn you people are whiny but I can't outvote you.
>> No. 125604
[x] "Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? Aren't you a little suspicious of me now?"
-[x] "What is most disturbing is that I have no idea how you know this. In fact I find it more disturbing than the dream itself. From the beginning you were very forward that you would be keeping an eye on me, and because you helped me out so much, that was acceptable, but I'd have thought you would know by now that I take it very personally when people spy on me without my knowledge. And don't dare tell me it was 'deduction'. Unless a dream larva stuck a note on my back while I was thrashing about, there's no way you could have drawn a direct connection between seeing a ghost as, surprise, a ghost--or phantom, or half-phantom, or whatever--and the inner workings of my deranged mind."
-[x] "And metaphysics? I'm a wizard, not an academic, and I'm certainly no expert on what constitutes 'dire portent' and what constitutes 'batshit crazy' in this plane. So, enlighten me professor, what do my morbid dreams have to do with your status quo?"
>> No. 125605
Man, Anonymous, you're a jerk.
>> No. 125609
>>125605
MC is a jerk. Gotta stay in Chracter.
>> No. 125611
>>125609
He acts the prat, and obviously doesn't understand the concept of equivalent revenge. But I don't think he's a jerk.

...Not to his friends at least.
>> No. 125612
[x] "Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? Aren't you a little suspicious of me now?"
-[x] "What is most disturbing is that I have no idea how you know this. In fact I find it more disturbing than the dream itself. From the beginning you were very forward that you would be keeping an eye on me, and because you helped me out so much, that was acceptable, but I'd have thought you would know by now that I take it very personally when people spy on me without my knowledge. And don't dare tell me it was 'deduction'. Unless a dream larva stuck a note on my back while I was thrashing about, there's no way you could have drawn a direct connection between seeing a ghost as, surprise, a ghost--or phantom, or half-phantom, or whatever--and the inner workings of my deranged mind."
-[x] "And metaphysics? I'm a wizard, not an academic, and I'm certainly no expert on what constitutes 'dire portent' and what constitutes 'batshit crazy' in this plane. So, enlighten me professor, what do my morbid dreams have to do with your status quo?"

RANTVOTE.
>> No. 125614
>>125572 here, wandbagoning confirmed!

[x] >>125595
>> No. 125615
>>125566
[X] "Take a wild guess what that dream was about. Go on, guess. Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for half of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? OK, I admit I probably should have told you this morning since you proved you can put up with my antics, but between Marisa stealing my spellbooks, being spied upon and the spirits haunting your house, it just slipped to the back of my mind."
This write in.
>> No. 125616
[x]>>125595

CHOO CHOO~
>> No. 125619
[X] "Take a wild guess what that dream was about. Go on, guess. Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? OK, I admit I probably should have told you this morning since you proved you can put up with my antics, but between Marisa stealing my spellbooks, being spied upon and the spirits haunting your house, it just slipped to the back of my mind."

Second write in just strikes me as a tad too asshole'ish. This option seems to leave open the chance to work this out reasonably while the second one seems almost certain to start a fight.
>> No. 125620
[x] Write-in (encouraged!)
- [x] A little of column A
- [x] A little of column B
>> No. 125621
[X] "Take a wild guess what that dream was about. Go on, guess. Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? OK, I admit I probably should have told you this morning since you proved you can put up with my antics, but between Marisa stealing my spellbooks, being spied upon and the spirits haunting your house, it just slipped to the back of my mind."
[X] Anyway, it was just a dream. Don't worry, I won't let anything bad happen. (YOUMU DEATH FLAG TRIGGERED)
>> No. 125624
[X] "Take a wild guess what that dream was about. Go on, guess. Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? OK, I admit I probably should have told you this morning since you proved you can put up with my antics, but between Marisa stealing my spellbooks, being spied upon and the spirits haunting your house, it just slipped to the back of my mind."
>> No. 125629
[x] "Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? Aren't you a little suspicious of me now?"
-[x] "What is most disturbing is that I have no idea how you know this. In fact I find it more disturbing than the dream itself. From the beginning you were very forward that you would be keeping an eye on me, and because you helped me out so much, that was acceptable, but I'd have thought you would know by now that I take it very personally when people spy on me without my knowledge. And don't dare tell me it was 'deduction'. Unless a dream larva stuck a note on my back while I was thrashing about, there's no way you could have drawn a direct connection between seeing a ghost as, surprise, a ghost--or phantom, or half-phantom, or whatever--and the inner workings of my deranged mind."
-[x] "And metaphysics? I'm a wizard, not an academic, and I'm certainly no expert on what constitutes 'dire portent' and what constitutes 'batshit crazy' in this plane. So, enlighten me professor, what do my morbid dreams have to do with your status quo?"
>> No. 125634
[x] "Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? Aren't you a little suspicious of me now?"
-[x] "What is most disturbing is that I have no idea how you know this. In fact I find it more disturbing than the dream itself. From the beginning you were very forward that you would be keeping an eye on me, and because you helped me out so much, that was acceptable, but I'd have thought you would know by now that I take it very personally when people spy on me without my knowledge. And don't dare tell me it was 'deduction'. Unless a dream larva stuck a note on my back while I was thrashing about, there's no way you could have drawn a direct connection between seeing a ghost as, surprise, a ghost--or phantom, or half-phantom, or whatever--and the inner workings of my deranged mind."
-[x] "And metaphysics? I'm a wizard, not an academic, and I'm certainly no expert on what constitutes 'dire portent' and what constitutes 'batshit crazy' in this plane. So, enlighten me professor, what do my morbid dreams have to do with your status quo?"

A pessimistic wizard is my kind of wizard.
>> No. 125643
[x]>>125619
>> No. 125653
Aye, I agree. I mean, as far as Gensokyo is concerned we're a barbarian - and an arrogant dick of one at that. But we're not an arsehole...not to that extent anyway.
>> No. 125657
>>125653
>But we're not an arsehole...not to that extent anyway.

You kicked a little girl's ass all over her own home. Literally. Then after adding insult to her injury, you stole one of her grimoires in retaliation for her taking one of your own.

Sassing a woman who admitted to spying on your dreams, who then accuses you of some kind of conspiracy because you didn't show her your dream diary... well, it doesn't push the envelope much further.
>> No. 125660
>>125657
>who then accuses you of some kind of conspiracy because you didn't show her your dream diary
But she's not. Not really.

Besides, Marisa stole our extremely important spellbooks, which apparently means all bets are off, but Keine's done nothing but help us.
>> No. 125666
>>125660
>Besides, Marisa stole our extremely important spellbooks which apparently means all bets are off,

And we got them back, after much comeuppance. Then AFTER we decided to sympathize with her, we steal her spellbooks. It was a dick any way you look at it. A funny one, but a dick move nonetheless.

>but Keine's done nothing but help us.

'Helping' us means preventing us for causing her yet more trouble. Believe me when I say that it's not us she's concerned about because of this dream; otherwise she would have approached us in a less unsympathetic manner. She's not interested in our understanding here in this, she's interested in fixing the problem.

At least, that's how she comes off right now. If you point out she's browbeating you over something you can't reasonably be expected to understand, she may check herself and demurr. As opposed to throwing her hands up in the air and walking away after you apologize for what you don't understand, while Cirno calls you an idiot. Leaving you with not only a damaged relationship, but no information to go on.
>> No. 125681
[x] "Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? Aren't you a little suspicious of me now?"
-[x] "What is most disturbing is that I have no idea how you know this. In fact I find it more disturbing than the dream itself. From the beginning you were very forward that you would be keeping an eye on me, and because you helped me out so much, that was acceptable, but I'd have thought you would know by now that I take it very personally when people spy on me without my knowledge. And don't dare tell me it was 'deduction'. Unless a dream larva stuck a note on my back while I was thrashing about, there's no way you could have drawn a direct connection between seeing a ghost as, surprise, a ghost--or phantom, or half-phantom, or whatever--and the inner workings of my deranged mind."
-[x] "And metaphysics? I'm a wizard, not an academic, and I'm certainly no expert on what constitutes 'dire portent' and what constitutes 'batshit crazy' in this plane. So, enlighten me professor, what do my morbid dreams have to do with your status quo?"

Second write-in is just enough paranoia with just enough asshole. I think it fits the MC perfectly.
>> No. 125683
>>125666
You've got an interesting way of looking at things...
>> No. 125691
[X] "Take a wild guess what that dream was about.
-Do you really think that a vision of a stranger dying is something to mention to someone who you know for all of a day? And weren't you still a little suspicious of me then? OK, I admit I probably should have told you this morning since you proved you can put up with my antics, but between Marisa stealing my spellbooks, being spied upon and the spirits haunting your house, it just slipped to the back of my mind."
>> No. 125700
File 128746709465.png - (634.30KB , 800x600 , 27f4b9cd9fe262fa52b299522b75e015.png ) [iqdb]
125700
[X] RANT
[X] Etch "I kill goasts" on Myon.
[X] Perform a topographic analysis of Yuyuko's posterior.

An intelligent, gorgeous, dangerously competent woman is pressing you to divulge something very personal, and there’s no way you can lie your way out of this one. In desperation, you fall back on that inner instinct which has kept you alive through your short, violent life.

You attack.

“Goddamit, Keine!” you exclaim. “It was- what do you think it was about!?” you hiss under your breath, to keep the conversation from carrying. “Yes, I saw Youmu- and she died in my arms!

Keine blanches, her mouth falling open in shock.

“Pretty much my reaction,” you growl, “so is it any surprise I wouldn’t want to tell you about it, when we’d only known each other for half a day? Hell, I expected you’d be fed up with me by now! I know I’m an asshole. And you were suspicious of me then- hell, I think you’re still a little cautious now.”

“That was-” she manages before you cut her off.

“And furthermore, how the hell did you know I’d seen a prophetic dream? Drawing a beeline between a bad night’s sleep and my reaction to Youmu is one hell of a logical leap. You weren’t spying on me with divination magic, were you? Because-”

Keine leans forward and presses a finger against your lips. The unexpected gentleness of the gesture in the face of your attack surprises you, and you fall silent.

“You talked in your sleep,” she says.

“... what?”

“You talked in your sleep, that first night,” she says. “Mostly muttering... I was up a bit earlier then you, and I heard it. And the last thing you said... ‘How about Tenser’s Fighting Transformation, bitch’. Such hate in your voice.”

You blink. “You mean... when you asked me at breakfast, you were- were-”

“Feeling you out? Yes.”

You grind your teeth together, trying to fight the blush of embarrassment climbing from your neckline. “That still doesn’t explain the Youmu thing. She’s half-phantom-”

“Don’t feed me that baloney,” Keine says, a bit sharply. “Whenever you see something like that, you get this look-” she squints her eyes and curls her mouth into an expression conveying bafflement, skepticism, and anger all in one- “and then you rage about why it’s bullshit right then and there. When you saw that girl- I think that’s the first time I’ve seen you scared since you got here.”

You draw in breath for a hasty denial, and Keine fixes you with those light blue eyes. You feel the words die in your throat.

“You could have told me yesterday... after we’d gotten to know each other better... or...” she shakes her head, perhaps realizing she’s not being entirely fair. “Okay, perhaps there was no good time, but... keeping things to yourself like that, and that rage you’ve got sometimes...” she looks down and bites her lip. “I... we’ll talk later, I just have to, uh finish this,” she says, scooping up her notebook and rising quickly.

“Hey, you can’t just-”

“Later!” she says, striding off at a hurried pace, leaving her hat behind in her haste.

You groan, leaning forward to rest your head in your hands. A maelstrom of thoughts and emotions are churning through your head, building in pressure.

Scared.

You think back to that morning, waking after the dream. Keine was right; you don’t get to the seventeenth rank of Wizardry without a solid grasp of all disciplines, including the metaphysics of divination and prophecy. Still, you’re no seer; not used to such things, and it did shake you up badly.

What annoys you so much is that Keine knew it. Saw right through you, in fact, and is upset you didn’t disclose the rest. And why the hell should you have to? The dream wasn’t clear enough to enable instant action, so all you can do is wait. And when it comes, you’ll deal with it- as you’ve dealt with vampires, dragons, eldritch abominations from beyond the grave, and the Kingdom’s wagon and cart registration department. It’s your business. Yours.

“Why so serious?”

You look up to find Yuyuko and Youmu looking at you. A small crowd of spirits are accompanying them, bearing a table, several chairs, and trays of food.

“Contemplating the mysteries of life,” you say solemnly.

Yuyuko giggles. “Odd place for that,” she says, gesturing to her spirits. They begin laying out their burdens. “You and your friends liked the garden so much, I thought we’d have lunch out here.”

“Sounds good,” you say, taking a seat at the table as the attending spirits lay out the trays. Yuyuko and Youmu sit as well.

“Where’s Keine and Cirno?” Yuyuko asks.

“Don’t think Keine will be joining us right away,” you sigh. “As for Cirno, I think she’s still dicking around in the garden. HEY! CIRNO!” you bellow artlessly. “LUNCH!”

There’s a rustling and a crashing through the bushes and shrubs, and Cirno, half-covered in glowing white leaves, bounds from the foliage and lands in an open chair. “You’ve got a great garden, Miss Yuyuko!” she exclaims happily. Yuyuko beams at the little fairy.

“I’m the one who maintains it,” Youmu says sourly, “so I’d appreciate it if you didn’t go crashing through it like a charging bull.”

Cino frowns a bit, chastened, and your eyes narrow at Youmu. This sourpuss shit is really starting to grate on you, and nobody makes your fairy sad. Sheer terror, yes, but sadness? No redeeming fun factor whatsoever.

“Skadoosh,” you whisper, and make a few quick hand gestures under the table. In flowing Sylvan script, words appear on Youmu’s spirit-half. “I kill goasts.

Cirno notices it, and bites her lip to avoid giggling.

“So did you and Keine have a nice chat?” Yuyuko asks.

“Mmm,” you reply noncommittally, biting into a sandwich.

“He stares at her butt,” Cirno says matter-of-factly, and you damn near choke on your food. Youmu starts, then whips her head around to stare at you with a look of distaste bordering on disgust.

“Why shouldn’t he?” Yuyuko asks innocently. “She’s got a nice butt.”

“Miss Saigyouji!” Youmu says with alarm. “You shouldn’t say such things!”

“He stared at your butt, too,” Cirno says to Youmu solemnly. Your shock subsides into an intense urge to throttle the little fey. What did you ever do to her, besides inflict a little harassment? And teasing? And terror?

“What about mine?” Yuyuko asks in wounded tones, trying to look sad. Youmu is glaring at you, eyes smoldering with anger.

“Oh, I looked,” you say, catching Yuyuko’s ploy. “That’s what a garden’s for, isn’t it? Appreciating beauty?”

“Of course,” the ghost princess says innocently. “It’s almost as pleasant to admire a good peach as it is to eat it, yes?”

It takes a second for Youmu to catch the implication; and a second or two more for her face to start turning beet-red.

“But first, you’ve got to wash them carefully,” you say, “rub them down gently with a towel, and-”

“Check the grounds!” Youmu nearly shouts, shooting up out of her chair. “I forgot, I left a wheelbarrow by the chicken heap!” She smoothes out her skirt and nearly flees the area. You and Yuyuko barely manage to suppress your laughter until the white-haired gardener is safely out of earshot.

“What’s her problem?” Cirno asks innocently around a mouthful of sandwich.

“I’ll tell you when you’re older,” you reply. “You know something, Yuyuko? You’re all right.”

The ghost princess smiles at you, delighted. “Thank you! You’re quite pleasant yourself.”

“Give it a few more hours,” you say skeptically. “I’m not exactly a people person.”

“By some standards in Gensokyo, you are,” Yuyuko says, gesturing at a tea service, which obligingly floats over to her. “Did Keine tell you about spell cards? And danmaku?”

“She mentioned it in passing, when she gave me the short and sweet on Gensokyo,” you reply, accepting a teacup from Yuyuko. “Didn’t say much about it.”

“There’s a formal dueling agreement in place here, for settling disputes,” your hostess explains. Cirno is awkwardly reaching for a big pitcher of lemonade from her lower vantage point, and Yuyuko sends some of her tiny attendant phantoms to assist with a nod. “A ‘spell card’ is a piece of paper with a well-defined form of an attack described on it- and considered approved as suitable for non-lethal duels.” She sips at her tea.

“And they’re always doing it,” Cirno complains between gulps of cold lemonade. “Fighting. Just because they’re bored. Or jerks.”

“Quite,” Yuyuko agrees. “Quite a few casual meetings around here end with a danmaku duel. And yet you’ve never really attacked anyone yet without some provocation.”

You take a second to process that. “So let me get this straight. Gensokyo is full of women with bullshit hax powers they’ve no respect for since they didn’t work for them, resulting in constant magic duels?”

“Yup!” Yuyuko confirms cheerily.

“Fan-friggin-tastic,” you grumble. “Hey, did Keine mention the scrying spell that was cast on us this morning?”

”She did.”

“Any idea how many people in Gensokyo are capable of that kind of magic?”

“A pretty short list,” Yuyuko says thoughtfully, pursing her lips in thought. “My friend Yukari, though she’s not very active at the moment. There’s Alice. Possibly Byakuren. Marisa, whom you’ve, ah, met. And Patchouli Knowledge, of the Scarlet Devil Mansion.”

“What? The mansion?”

“Yes. The Scarlet sisters hired her as a private tutor, and to maintain the Voile library.”

”Library!?” you ask eagerly.

“Yes. Patchouli has spent most of her hundred years in that library, reading books and writing new ones. They say it has more texts then you could hope to read in three- ah, you’re drooling.”

”I.. what? Whoops,” you say, dabbing at your mouth with a napkin. “If I could get into that library, it might be worth the risk of dining with vampires.”

“Why?” Cirno asks, puzzled. “I thought you couldn’t make any sense out of that stuff.”

“That’s my problem,” you explain, producing the spellbook of unknown authorship you lifted from Marisa’s house, and tapping the cover. “This isn’t Marisa’s. But I need to find more books like this- or better yet, the author, preferably in a mood to talk- because if I can’t unravel the way magic works in this place, I’ll never be able to get a Planeshift spell to get me home.” You put the tome away. “And most importantly, the scrying is the only lead I’ve got. I can’t figure the ghost angle, just yet.”

“I can.”

You turn to see Keine approaching the table. She takes a seat, not quite meeting your eyes.

“In the village... there’s been rumors of a clandestine group of nutcases. They think it’s destiny that the youkai will be driven out of Gensokyo one day, and that they’ve got to be ready for it. So they go exploring and snooping in youkai territory, outside of town.”

“They what.”

“Go exploring. And more often then not, get killed.”

“So they’re hostile to all youkai?”

“I don’t know,” Keine admits, “but they could be. I founded the school to try and educate the villagers, counter this- this ignorance that’s driving these lunatic sentiments- so it stands to reason I might not be loved by these people.”

“And they’d have the manpower to go hunting down old bones- to say nothing of the personal effects of their own fallen ‘explorers’,” you add.

“Isn’t this that theory thing you were gonna talk to him about?” Cirno asks, scratching her head. “What were you guys yakking about together, then?”

You and Keine both find something interesting to look at on the tablecloth while Yuyuko amusedly examines you both over her teacup.

So,” you say firmly. “You want to go back to the village, snoop around for these ‘secret society’ jokers?”

“That’s the best lead, in my opinion,” Keine says, shrugging. “The magic... that’s your forte.”

“I was thinking we could get to the Mansion a bit early. It’d give me time to have a chat with this Patchouli character before dinner. Otherwise I’d have to wait till afterwards, the next day, probably, and I don’t want to spend more time in a vampire’s lair then necessary.”

“You’re not seriously considering goooah!” Keine says, jumping in her chair a bit and glancing at Yuyuko in surprise. You study the ethereal monarch’s pretty face carefully, but it’s perfectly innocent.

“Well...”


[ ] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.
[ ] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of [i]detect thoughts.[/i
>> No. 125701
[x] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.
>> No. 125703
>>125701

>5:44
>5:49

wat
>> No. 125704
[x] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.

Wanted to vote for going to Patchy, but somehow, after Sakuya's agressive behaviour, I have the feeling it'll be the last thing to do.
>> No. 125705
[x] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.

I'm hoping the damage to the standing with Keine isn't permanent.
>> No. 125707
[ ] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.
>> No. 125708
[x] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of power word: kill detect thoughts.

>>125705
Going with the plan of action Keine seems interested in seems like a good way to mend things.
>> No. 125711
<“As for Cirno, I think she’s still dicking around in the garden. HEY! CIRNO!” you bellow artlessly. “LUNCH!”
He would make a great father.

[x] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.
>> No. 125712
[x] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of power word: kill detect thoughts.
>> No. 125714
>My friend Yukari, though she’s not very active at the moment.
It's Yukari's hibernation season?

[x] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.
>> No. 125719
>>125714
It's always Yukari's hibernation season.
>> No. 125720
[x] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.

It just seems a little smarter to do as much dealing with vampires during the daylight hours as you can.
>> No. 125721
[x] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.
>> No. 125723
>>125703
You're pretty popular.

[X] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.
>> No. 125727
[x] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.
>> No. 125732
[x] "How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of Power Word: Kill--"
[x] "--I mean Detect Thoughts.
>> No. 125733
[x] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.
>> No. 125735
[x] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she ’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.
>> No. 125736
[X] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.

I figure that this problem will be the easiest to resolve. I'd like to spend more time at the SMD than a quick visit would offer us.
>> No. 125743
>“You’re not seriously considering goooah!” Keine says, jumping in her chair a bit and glancing at Yuyuko in surprise. You study the ethereal monarch’s pretty face carefully, but it’s perfectly innocent.
You've lost me.
[x] Books
[x] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.
>> No. 125745
[ ] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.
>> No. 125746
[x] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.
>>125703
Hahahaa. Grats
>> No. 125750
>>125743
I think Yuyuko did something to startle her, but by the time MC is aware of it, she's already putting on an innocent face.
>> No. 125751
[X] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.
>> No. 125753
>>125743
>You've lost me.

Phantoms are cold, Yuyuko controls phantoms, have one little phantom run past the small of Keine's back and watch the golden reaction.
>> No. 125754
File 12874962846.gif - (43.58KB , 838x734 , you lost me.gif ) [iqdb]
125754
>>125743

I think Yuyuko kicked Keine, under the table. Probably because she's being paranoid/over-protective of the MC. He's been holding out on her, sure, but Keine isn't acting 100% logical, either.

Also, have a relevant image.
>> No. 125755
>>125754
>Probably because she's being paranoid/over-protective of the MC. He's been holding out on her, sure, but Keine isn't acting 100% logical, either.

I wonder why~~♥
>> No. 125756
[X] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.

It's daytime, right? By the time we get back to the village it'd be night again, not a good time to go to a vampire's house. We can wait until day again to see them.
>> No. 125757
[x] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.

>>125750
>eating
>in Hakugyokuro
>while not dead
>> No. 125761
[X] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.

Unrelated, but I've always wanted to read a story like this where the main character never gets the girl and it turns out that she wasn't interested in the first place and anon was just mistaking friendliness for love. Does anyone have any recommendations?
>> No. 125762
[X] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.

If the MC doesn't want to stay at the SDM overnight, where's he going to sleep? Better get Keine her house back.
>> No. 125765
[x] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.

Patchouli is more studious than Marisa, so maybe the MC will hit it off better with her.
>> No. 125766
>>125757
Shit, we need pomegranates.
>> No. 125768
[X] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.

Get this done with first. Like >>125762 said, only being able to sleep in a vampire's mansion is a bad idea.
>> No. 125770
[x] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.

I actually do want to go mess around with Patchy rather badly, but I also don’t really feel like spending the night in the SDM so best secure our fall back position first.
>> No. 125771
I forget, does he have Magnificent Mansion or Rope Trick or some other spell like that prepared? If he does, he wouldn't need to sleep at the SDM.
>> No. 125772
>>125771
Our MC might be a bit of a jerk, an ass, and a jerkass, but Rope Tricking or Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansioning himself a sleepign area because he doesn't like the SDM when he's staying over as a guest would be so utterly rude that I wouldn't be surprised if the rudeness of the act woke Yukari up from her deep slumber in R'lyeh so she could read across her gaps and slap MC upside his head.
>> No. 125773
[ ] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.

Zuul wants to visit this Voile place.
>> No. 125774
>>125761

Autobiography of a THP anon. I think it's on Amazon.
>> No. 125776
>>125774
That's not funny bro. They stole the story of my life and i never saw a cent.
>> No. 125784
>>125776
Impossible.
If it's an autobiography, it means that YOU wrote it. They can't steal it from if you're the one who wrote it.
>> No. 125786
Ever herd of Publishers? Hired him out and then stiffed him.
>> No. 125791
[x] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.
>> No. 125818
[x] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.

Alright, our first quest!
>> No. 125819
I hope the spy is Byakuren.
I like Byakuren.
>> No. 125830
[x] "How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of Power Word: Kill--"
[x] "--I mean Detect Thoughts."
>> No. 125834
[X] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.
>> No. 125835
I know it's too late, but if the investigate village vote wins, don't say the MC has a spell Detect Thoughts. Remember how Keine freaked when her house was scried? What about even more intrusive ability, like... Detect Thoughts?
>> No. 125836
>>125786
What a bunch of bastards.
>> No. 125837
[x] "How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of Power Word: Kill--"
[x] "--I mean social engineering skills."
>> No. 125842
[X] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.
I don't know D&D, but I know a quest when I see one.
>> No. 125848
>>125835
We should tell her about dominate monster instead. I bet she'd love that
>> No. 125850
We need to find an excuse to go underground. Detect Satori's Thoughts. Wonder how she'd react? Or maybe we would just cause a recursive loop. Where we read her thoughts of reading our thoughts of reading her thoughts of...
>> No. 125852
We should introduce the Reverse Gender spell to Keine. Maybe Orgasmic Vibrations, too. Or we can introduce both to Gensokyo, including the Mass versions.
>> No. 125856
Yeah, breaking out the book of erotic fantasy will really help our case on the whole "everybody else in this place doesn't know how to responsibly use their powers" thing. Although I guess it won't be the first time our MC has heroically done something totally hypocritical.
>> No. 125858
No update for today? What a sad day.
>> No. 125860
File 128760376543.jpg - (52.36KB , 500x503 , arcanepower.jpg ) [iqdb]
125860
>>125856
No, no, what we need is the arcane power splatbook.
>> No. 125871
[X] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.

Patchouli is the only route.
>> No. 125878
File 128761511925.jpg - (112.94KB , 640x510 , 07f4a4cf6d58322b8e0fb91d54e162ae.jpg ) [iqdb]
125878
>>125852
>> No. 125894
[X] Let’s get a jump-start on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, and this Patchy character. Even if she’s not the spy, she’s got a lot to offer.

At least she's no Marisa. What about Alice? We need to meet Alice too.
>> No. 125896
>At least she's no Marisa. What about Alice? We need to meet Alice too.

He might get the wrong idea about the Swarm of Diminutive Doll Golems and blow her house up.

Or Ellen would be fun, constantly forgetting what spells she's prepared for the day, or even how to cast them.

General question: Where is the Wizard's familiar? Not that one is really necessary when you've got a ~12th level fairy Cohort, but I'm curious anyway.
>> No. 125898
>>125896
I'd have thought she'd be 9th level.
>> No. 125899
>>125898

No, no. Cirno just counts in Base 9. So...I believe that would be level 11, in base ten.

All numbers relating to Cirno don't have to be 9's, so long as they are in BASE 9.
>> No. 125900
File 128765127757.png - (133.36KB , 300x300 , 1274735216953.png ) [iqdb]
125900
[X] How often is a secret society wielding forbidden necromantic powers not to blame? Let’s head to the village and get some use out of detect thoughts.


“Yeah, I intend to visit the vampires,” you say, “but this secret society sounds like the better lead for now.”

Keine seems to relax a bit, nodding.

“That’s because it will inevitably involve liquor,” you say.

“What!?”

“I’ll explain later. For now, we should take our leave.” You rise and shake Yuyuko’s hand, which is surprisingly warm and solid to the touch. Well, you are in the netherworld. “Thank you for a lovely time driving your gardener insane.”

Yuyuko grins. “Anytime. I’m glad I could serve you lunch, too. We don’t often get visitors, and when we do they leap away from the food like it’s going to bite them.”

“Oh, all that ‘eat in the netherworld’ crud?” you say, waving your hand dismissively. “By the time you’re capable of vaporizing things by pointing at them and shouting ‘zap,’ you stop worrying about plane-specific fine-print.”

“I suppose so...” Yuyuko trails off thoughtfully, examining you. “I’ll have Youmu walk you to the gates so you don’t waste time wandering.” She gestures, and a spirit zips off to summon the gardener.

“Can you really do that?” Keine asks. “Vaporize something just by pointing at it?”

“Sure can,” you confirm. “Quite a few spell duels boil down to who can shout ‘ZAP!’ the fastest, in fact. Kind of stupid, really, but not everyone has imagination.”

The spirit returns, with Youmu trailing a good distance behind. Her complexion has returned to something approximating her normal pale hue, though she’s still a little peaked. “This way,” she says stiffly. As she leads you out of the garden, you pass under the branches of a giant, twisted tree with bare branches.

“What’s wrong with that one?” Cirno asks, pointing. “Why isn’t it alive?”

“That is Saigyou Ayakashi,” Youmu replies. “It’s a dangerous youkai tree.”

“Eh?” Cirno asks, puzzled.

“It used to...” Youmu suddenly glances at you cautiously. “Nevermind.”

“What?” you ask, puzzled.

“Perhaps you should ask Miss Kamishirasawa about it sometime,” she replies. “A teacher might explain it better.”

“What the hell are you on about?”

“Well,” Youmu says cautiously, “you seem to react badly to the more fantastic entities in Gensokyo. Understandable, since you’re only human, but I don’t mean to-”

“Tell me about the tree,” you insist.

“I really don’t think-”

”TELL ME.” you hiss, your meager patience running thin. “Tell the little old human about that tree.”

Youmu sighs, and gives Keine a ‘don’t blame me’ look. “It eats people.”

You stare at Youmu in utter disbelief, and Youmu cuts her eyes at Keine as if to say told you.

“That’s it?” you exclaim. “That’s all?”

Youmu is momentarily nonplused. “It’s a people-eating tree! That isn’t enough for you?”

“Oh no, a people eating tree,” you say breathlessly, fluttering your fingers for exaggeration. “Bitch, I have seen giant purple mushrooms that paralyze their prey by shrieking. I have not seen a particular breed of ambulatory walking fungus, because they’re fucking invisible ambulatory walking fungi. I have duked it out with giant, sentient trees that try and crush you, and once, I did battle with a tuber root that manifested psionic powers.

You take a step forward and poke Youmu in the chest. “But nooo, this little ol’ human can’t wrap his puny mind around a people-eating tree, can he? When you’ve got an invisible walking tree that shrieks like a banshee and can kill people with mental powers even though it doesn’t have a fucking brain, get back to me.”

You straighten the top of your resplendent wizard hat for emphasis, and storm off, leaving a speechless Youmu standing under the people-eating tree.

“That was a bit harsh, wasn’t it?” Keine asks you as your group strides through the halls of Hakugyokurou. “She doesn’t know about your world. Nobody does.”

“That wasn’t it,” you say, still hot. “It’s that ‘you’re just a human’ bullshit.”

“But-”

“Don’t even start,” you insist. “Marisa seems to have some respect around here, and from what you told me about Gensokyo yesterday, she apparently competes on an equal footing with some youkai centuries old- and she’s what, seventeen? And that Ram-you chick-”

“Remiu.”

“That Remiu girl, she’s like that too. And they’re both human. So what gives?”

Keine shrugs helplessly. “Yes, you’re right, many youkai can be pretty conceited towards humans. And not just because of power disparities.”

“You mean outright racism.”

“Not all of them!” Keine objects. “Well, the Celestials are pretty bad, for sure-”

“-never met one that wasn’t,” you interject dourly. “Look at me, I’m silver and fart rainbows!”

“The humans can be pretty bad, too,” Keine reminds you. “This secret society we’re looking for being a prime example. Arrogant beyond measure.”

“Well, that’s going to change,” you grumble.

“The youkai or the humans?”

”Both.”


*****


You get back to the village around mid-afternoon. You can’t be sure without a proper time-piece, but it seems that time passed swifter then normal in the netherworld. Disdaining stealth, you, Keine and Cirno land right on the outskirts of town. Nobody pays you much attention, though a few nod to Keine.

“So,” you say. “Now what?”

“Don’t look at me,” Keine says. “I know they exist, but I don’t really know where.”

“I thought you ‘knew everything’?”

“All information is available to me once a month,” Keine reminds you. “If I don’t access it, though, I don’t remember it. And I never really thought of these people as a threat... just suicidal morons.”

“Well, then, leave it to me,” you say, rubbing your hands together eagerly. “I’m itching to do something. It feels like I’ve done nothing but chatter for a while.”

“You fancy yourself a detective?” Keine says, smiling a little. “You don’t strike me as the type.”

“Are you kidding me? I’d helped take down at least half a dozen cults, societies, and conspiracy rings by the time I achieved the eighth rank,” you reply. “I swear, any city of decent size has a dozen, at least.”

“What’s that like?” Cirno asks, curious as usual.

“Frequently hilarious. You haven’t seen stupid till you’ve watched two cults stab each other to death because they both wanted to use the graveyard on the same full moon.”

“So how do you find them?” Cirno asks.

“A few different ways. Go to the livestock market on a weekend and look for a city boy shopping for just one black goat. Or hang around kids playing board games until one offers to show you the ‘true power.’ In a village this small, though, I like to visit a tavern or some such and cast Detect Thoughts.

“You can read minds?” Keine says with surprise.

“It’s a wonder I’m not better with women, isn’t it?”

“Any woman talking to you in a bar doesn’t have many thoughts to read anyways,” Keine says.

“Hey! Plenty of young witches pay their way through the Academy via, uh, exotic performance arts.”

“And wizards, I assume,” Keine returns swiftly. “Though you don’t have the grace for dancing. Upright, anyways...”

“Buuuuurn,” Cirno drawls gleefully, and you swipe at her playfully.

“Hey, wait,” Keine says, tugging on your sleeve and pointing through the crowd. You’ve gotten closer to the center of town as you were talking, and ahead is the big square with the dragon statue. “That’s Aya, up ahead. Probably hawking her scandal rag again.”

“The girl from the shop?” you ask, peering ahead. Sure enough, that silly little red hat is visible above the heads of the villagers milling in the square. As you watch, she pulls a folded paper out of her bag and eagerly chases down a villager with it, who flees for all he’s worth.

“That’s her,” Keine confirms. “She used to publish that paper only for youkai, but she’s trying to drum up interest with the villagers, now. Which just means she tailors some of her rumor-mongering to interest humans.”

“So what about her?” Cirno asks, puzzled.

“She interviewed me for a story on the secret society a while ago,” Keine says. “And in her article, she quoted an anonymous source from said group. A ‘Mister A’.”

“Why didn’t you mention this earlier? That’s gold!” you exclaim.

”Because I can guarantee she’ll be a royal pain in the ass about divulging it,” Keine says wearily. “And she’ll probably want something in return. Still, it’s probably better then letting you near a bar,” she says, smirking at you.



[ ] My investigative techniques are tried and proven! Drag Keine and Cirno to a bar to get this sleuthin’ underway.
[ ] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
>> No. 125902
>>125896

>General question: Where is the Wizard's familiar?

Good question. He doesn't actually have one. This doesn't mean he couldn't get one, though.

Sorry for missing my update last night, and for putting this one up so late. Midterms week. (Done now.)
>> No. 125903
[x] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
-[x] Read Aya's brainmeats if you can manage it.

I vote we read Aya's mind while we're at it.
>> No. 125905
[x] My investigative techniques are tried and proven! Drag Keine and Cirno to a bar to get this sleuthin’ underway.
He's supposed to avoid publicity. Being a god-killing thing and everything.
>> No. 125907
>you seem to react badly to the more fantastic entities in Gensokyo
She's got a point. Sure, playing the species card was low, but considering that we bitched her out for saying she was a half-phantom, her reticence is understandable. Our wizard needs to open his mind a little more.
>Sure enough, that silly little red hat is visible above the heads of the villagers milling in the square.
Especially regarding hats.

[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
- [X] Read Aya's brainmeats if you can manage it.
>> No. 125908
>Remiu
>Reimu

Two different name. Please fix this.

Will vote later. Bar or harassing/blackmail Aya. Hmmmm....
>> No. 125910
[x] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
I am all for harassing Aya.
>> No. 125911
[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
- [X] Read Aya's brainmeats if you can manage it.
>> No. 125914
[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
- [X] Read Aya's brainmeats if you can manage it.
>> No. 125916
[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.

Dames. Can't live with them, can't get paid ridiculous sums of money without them.
>> No. 125917
File 128765748984.jpg - (112.85KB , 234x678 , I CHOOSE AYAYAYA.jpg ) [iqdb]
125917
[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
- [X] Read Aya's brainmeats if you can manage it.

Bars are overrated. Is there even a tavern in this village?

Also, inb4 superfast stream of consciousness from Ayayayaya
>> No. 125918
[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.

I first thought we should act like a gentleman. Then I realized this is Aya and she does not deserve such a thing.
>> No. 125919
[x] My investigative techniques are tried and proven! Drag Keine and Cirno to a bar to get this sleuthin’ underway.
No.
>> No. 125920
[x] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
-[x] Read Aya's brainmeats if you can manage it
>> No. 125922
[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
>> No. 125926
[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
>> No. 125928
[X] My investigative techniques are tried and proven! Drag Keine and Cirno to a bar to get this sleuthin’ underway.

I can't help but think that no matter which way he goes he will get publicity.

Youmu should have mentioned how it's not just a tree that eats people, but a tree that compels people to commit suicide under it. That's a bit scarier than one of Durkon's nightmares.
>> No. 125929
Guys, Detect thoughts only affects surface thoughts.
[x] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
-[x] Have Keine ask Aya about the group while you cast detect thoughts.
>> No. 125930
>>125929
This man speaks the truth.
[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
-[x] Have Keine ask Aya about the group while you cast detect thoughts.

We should pick up a snake familiar. They're awesome, because snakes are awesome. I also think they boost Charisma, if I remember correctly, and MC needs a bit of that to offset his "robust personality."
>> No. 125932
[x] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
-[x] Have Keine ask Aya about the group while you read Aya's brainmeats if you can manage it.

Let's not smash our brains in by imbibing more alcohol and killing our primary spellcasting stat before the day is through. We can fall back on that later if we need to, but I'd rather avoid any possibility of antagonizing Reimu any further.

>Good question. He doesn't actually have one. This doesn't mean he couldn't get one, though.
Would this be limited to the typical familiar options (animals only) or can it extend to creatures that are already magically-inclined (the way NWN has fairies, imps, pseudo-dragons)?
>> No. 125934
Oh, and we can't forget to trade our hat with Keine's again. Aya doesn't know our face yet, and she doesn't necessarily have to make the connection that we're the Dragonslayer, since that can cause a good number of other problems for us when she gets to writing us into a context of great evil to incite the next incident. Besides, she last saw Keine with our pointy wizard's hat, and we can stash away Keine's hat since Cirno is already wearing her spare hat, and Keine herself can pass it off as lending her hat to her student while still wanting to keep her head well-adorned.
>> No. 125935
[X] My investigative techniques are tried and proven! Drag Keine and Cirno to a bar to get this sleuthin’ underway.

No solicitors!

>>125930
>I also think they boost Charisma
No, just a +3 to Bluff.

>>125932
>can it extend to creatures that are already magically-inclined
That requires the Improved Familiar feat. By the way, what feats does the MC have? Did he blow them all on metamagic, or does he have a crafting feat?
>> No. 125937
[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
-[x] Have Keine ask Aya about the group while you cast detect thoughts.
>> No. 125938
[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
-[x] Have Keine ask Aya about the group while you cast detect thoughts.
>> No. 125947
[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
-[x] Have Keine ask Aya about the group while you cast detect thoughts.
>> No. 125957
>“Well, that’s going to change,” you grumble.
>“The youkai or the humans?”
>”Both.”

It looks like we have goals more more extensive than 'GTFO of Gensokyo'


>“Any woman talking to you in a bar doesn’t have many thoughts to read anyways,” Keine says.

ahahahahaha

[x] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
-[x] Have Keine ask Aya about the group while you cast detect thoughts.
>> No. 125962
>>125930

No REAL MAN needs a charisma above eight.
>> No. 125963
[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
-[x] Have Keine ask Aya about the group while you cast detect thoughts.

There'll always be time to try the tavern later.
>> No. 125965
>>125962
What about Marshals?
>> No. 125971
[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
- [X] Read Aya's brainmeats if you can manage it.
Harrass does have a nice ring to it
>> No. 125973
>>125965
Marshals aren't men, they're dips.
>> No. 125996
>>125932

I vote we make Chirno our familiar. Because she's awesome.
>> No. 126002
>>125996
Can we do this? It would be SO CASH
>> No. 126009
>>125996
>Chirno

At least you're pronouncing it right.
>> No. 126012
>>126009

Doh! What I get for posting just after I got up. *Cirno.
>> No. 126019
File 128785760039.jpg - (252.29KB , 800x1131 , ee97d8a0bda3fd45a93157ca6279b5fc.jpg ) [iqdb]
126019
[X] Let’s harass the hell out of Aya for her source. Every good investigation starts with a troublesome dame.
- [X] Read Aya's brainmeats if you can manage it.


“My investigative techniques are tried and proven!” you assert haughtily, “but I may as well save the drinking for when it’s free.”

“Very well then,” Keine says. “And you might want to put away your hat.” You nod, and stuff the headgear in your pocket. Keine leads the way, bumping through the crowd, you and Cirno close behind.

As you get closer, you can start to make out Aya’s fast, chattery sales-pitch.

“Mystery monster slayer on the run in Gensokyo! Unknown bandit terrorizes village riding galloping box! Pictures! Pictures, dammit!” she shouts in frustration, whapping a passerby with the rolled-up copy in her hand. The man squawks and flees.

“Keine Kamishirasawa starts relationship with mysterious man! Extra edition!” No sooner are the words out of her mouth then somebody stops, produces some coins, and walks away with two copies, eagerly flipping it open. Aya takes to this new tack eagerly. “Keine Kamishirasawa is catting around Gensokyo with new boyfriend!” she shouts eagerly, waving the paper. A few more people stop, and heads in the square start to turn.

“Ha!” somebody near you says. “Somebody finally bagged- ulp!” the man swallows his words as Keine herself elbows past him, nearly sprinting for the square. People start hastily moving out of her way as she charges towards Aya, her long hair flying out behind her as she puts on speed.

Aya turns, waving another paper. “Keine photographed in company of strange maaaAAAAAAH!” she shrieks, seeing Keine charging in. Aya backpedals rapidly, swinging the rolled-up paper defensively. Keine ignores the flailing newsprint and reaches out, seizing Aya by the black tie around her neck and slamming her forehead into hers. You can hear the distinct click! of skull-on-skull collision clear above the din of the square.

You and Cirno manage to catch up, but you prudently stop at the edge of a ring of clear space the villagers seem to consider ‘minimum safe distance.’ Keine is standing over a groaning Aya, fists balled in fury.

“You vile nosy two-faced swampsucking wastebin!” Keine roars. Leaning over, she seizes Aya by the front of her shirt and hauls her upright.

“Ayayayayaya!” Aya manages, weakly flailing at Keine, but the half-hakutaku is having none of it. She simply takes Aya firmly by the ear, and marches her across the square to the bar, Aya complaining all the way. You and Cirno follow at a safe distance.

Aya and Keine go in, and there’s a temporary jam at the door- some people getting the hell out, and even more people pushing their way in to see what’s going on. You spot one of Aya’s papers on the ground, a little trampled, and scoop it up as you and Cirno make for the door. You’re unable to elbow your way in much past the door, but you can see Aya and Keine disappearing into a high-walled booth towards the back of the dimly-lit bar. The crowd of people are starting to take up positions nearby, when Keine’s head pops up above the thin privacy curtain.

“SOD OFF, DAMMIT!”

The villagers get with the sodding, sadly plodding out of the bar, or back to their tables. You start to step into the bar, when you realize that it’ll be impossible to slip into the booth without anybody noticing you. Worse, it’d be hard to walk into a bar with a little ice fairy in tow without raising suspicions.

You shrug, and cast Stinking Cloud. A noxious, opaque mist slowly manifests in the center of the room, and as you and Cirno stand to one side of the door, the entire bar quickly empties out, hacking and retching miserably.

“Pinch your nose shut,” you advise Cirno, scooping her up. Before she can complain, you rush into the bar and through the cloud. The mist stings your eyes a little before you get through it, but you reach the far side of the room with little difficulty.

“The people have a right to know what’s going on around Gensyoko!” comes Aya’s voice from the booth, ringing with offended pride.

“They have a right to know my personal business!?” Keine bellows back. “YOU have a right to spy on me!?”

“The villagers deserve to know what their protector is up to. And with who!”

“That’s Reimu’s job! I never signed up for it, or for invasions of privacy! I ought to stuff your ass in a birdcage!”

While the argument is ongoing, you quietly open up the newspaper you picked up outside. On the second page is a story about the rampaging box rider who terrorized the town last night. You marvel at Aya’s industry; she must have wrote it this morning to get it published after lunch. It’s short, and the eyewitness accounts are few and vague, to your relief. Below that is a “story” that amounts to little more then two photos- one of you, Keine and Cirno in flight, taken from somewhere below, and another of your trio sitting in the grass outside of town, apparently right after your morning escape from the ghosts. Your face isn’t quite distinguishable in either due to distance, but your hat is, of course, distinctive.

You drop the paper and step into the booth just as Aya is opening her mouth for another rebuttal on the merits of investigative journalism. Her eyes widen a little, and she nearly squeaks with glee.

“Aaaaah! You’re him! You’re him you’re him!” she says, shoving her hand into her blouse and producing a small notebook. “So what’s it like to be dating the beautiful and terrifying Kamishirasawa?”

“Terrifying?”

“Aren’t you worried what will happen when-”

“If you don’t drop that line of inquiry,” says Keine, her tone thin and sharp, “we’re going to have another meeting of the minds. At high velocity. He’s not my boyfriend.”

“Then who is he?” Aya returns, thrusting her pen at Keine in accusation. “I couldn’t print those photos at full resolution, but the originals are just fine!!” Aya sticks her hand into the bag and produces some color photos, flourishing them triumphantly. Your face is clearly recognizable in these. “And he’s wearing that hat I saw you buying yesterday. So who is he? Huh? Huh?”

“I’m not her boyfriend,” you confirm, taking a seat. Aya cocks her head quizzically, much like a bird, examining you. You take a moment to cast Detect Thoughts, and Aya’s scrutiny of you increases as she picks up your whispered words of mystic power. You glance at Keine. “Well, we’ve berated her enough. Go ahead and ask her.” Turning back to Aya, you focus on her mind, hoping to skim the name you need from the surface when Keine raises the subject. It’s like dipping a butterfly net in a fast river.

He’s using funnymagicwordsandtherewasamagicbox SO. AndthefunnyhathewearsthatlooksdumblikeMarisasandKeinewaswearingit SO Keine bought him a hat whywoudhshebuyhimahatIdunnobut HE CAN FLY andwaitIremembertheywereohmygodhe’sthe-

“MONSTERSLAYER!” Aya crows triumphantly, nearly jumping out of her seat. “I knew there was somebody with you in the Kirisame shop the other day! I knew it! You’re running around town with a monsterslayer from another dimension! This is fantastic!”

Keine sighs, rubbing her forehead miserably. “We’re not here to talk about that, okay?”

“What about-”

“No, not him, either.”

“I’ll talk!” Cirno says, climbing into your lap to giver a few more inches of boost over the edge of the table.

“I know,” Aya says dourly, and you feel the fairy’s body temperature drop by a few degrees. “So what did you want me for?”

“We wanted the name of that man from the secret society you interviewed,” Keine says. “In that article you interviewed me for? We’d like to talk to him.”

ohtheywantthatkookyguyonthedgeof town, whatwashisname- races Aya’s thoughts.

Aya crosses her arms defiantly, radiating professional pride. “Do you honesty think a real journalist would disclose an anonymous source!?”

“Show me one and I’ll ask her,” you grumble. “Besides, this is a matter of Gensyokan security!”

“How?” Aya says suspiciously. “They just go tromping around in the weeds like idiots and get themselves killed by feral youkai.”

“They’ve been summoning ghosts!” Cirno interjects. “And they probably do it by digging up bones of people that died and-”

“Really?” Aya says dubiously. “Ghosts?”

“Why does nobody believe me!?” Cirno asks, wounded. “You tell all sorts of dumb stories and people believe you!

“Girl’s got a point,” Keine says, smirking.

“Because I get quotes!” Aya says, waving her notebook dramatically. “From people! And write them down![/i]”

“So you just quote the dummies telling the most exciting rumors,” Cirno says sourly.

“But it’s verifiable!” Aya protests weakly.

“Verifiable rumors?” Cirno returns, unimpressed.

“Well if you write it all down,” you interrupt, “I assume you’ve got a name or at least an address for that contact of yours?”

“Yes, but, if I’m going to give up a confidential source, you need to make it worth my while...” she says salaciously, eyeing you up and down. “Give me something valuable in return...”

****

“I can’t believe you agreed to an interview,” Cirno says later, as you’re trooping through the outskirts of town. “She’s just going to spread lies about you all over.”

“Suits me fine,” you say. “There’s advantages to that. Besides, it forces her to delay any stories about me until tomorrow, at least, when she can get the interview.”

“From the way she was looking at you, that interview might be more ‘in-depth’ then you bargained for,” Keine grumbles.

“Aw, that’s cute,” you say, poking Keine. “You’re defending my honor. As if I had any.”

“You better have some around me,” Keine grumbles, glancing through your rumpled copy of the Bunbunmaru. “It’s only a matter of time before everybody knows you as my associate, what with these pictures floating around, and I’ve got a reputation to protect, you know!”

“Your reputation as a face-smashing fury from hell?” you say. “After that demonstration in the square, I think it’s well shored up.”

“She had it coming!” Keine snaps, still hot over the incident. “I should have just taken her notebook right there and left her without any more rumors to print.”

The village buildings have finally given way to wide-open fields, and ahead you can see the small farmhouse belonging to “Mr. A.” Well, the wall surrounding it, at least. Apparently the feral youkai are a problem even a few hundred yards away from town. “Well that’s the place,” you say. “And... wait, who the hell is that?” You point to a figure in green and white taking to the air from near the farmhouse.

“That’s Sanae!” Cirno says. “Hey! Hey, Sanae!’

Sanae pauses, looks in your direction, and flies over, alighting near Cirno, though she’s paying her little attention. Her attention is fixated solely on you, and your characteristic hat which you’ve donned again, now that you’re out of town.

“Hey, Sanae, guess what we’re doing! Guess!”

“Not now, Cirno,” Sanae says, still studying you intently.

“We’re hunting ghosts!” Cirno declares, immensely proud of her status as a ghost hunter.

“That’s nice,” Sanae says without interest. “You.” She points at you with a funny stick with a bit of paper on the end. “You’re the guy who beat up Marisa yesterday, aren’t you!?”

“Yeah? And who the hell are you?” you ask dubiously, eying this ‘Sanae’ up and down. “Silly stick-maiden of Emerald City?”

“What!? No!”

“The frog princess?” you ask, catching sight of her hair clip. “What, if I kiss you I’ll turn into a frog?”

Kiss me-!”

“Oh, you got a snakey thing too,” you say, examining her hair more closely. “So is that, like, some sort of demented yin-yang of swamp creatures? You’re the fearsome swamp-summoner or something?”

“NO!” Sanae shouts, getting visibly flustered by your crass analysis of her outfit. “What the hell is wrong with you!?”

“So why is your hair green like it’s covered with algae?” you ask, honestly puzzled. “What kind of crud do you roll in to get it that color, seriously?”

“SHUT UP!” Sanae shouts angrily, drawing her funny stick back behind her. “NODBODY BEATS UP MY FRIENDS!” She swings the stick forward, hard, and what look like a spray of bright comets streak towards you in a narrow pattern.

It looks like you’re about to have your first spell-card duel, whether you like it or not. How shall you approach it?

[ ] She can’t even touch us. Make it painfully apparent until she gives up, then gloat.
[ ] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!
[ ] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...

----------

Missed way too many updates, so another update late tonight, and x2 tomorrow. Vote fast.
>> No. 126020
[x] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!
>> No. 126021
[x] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...
He is such an asshole. That is plain being a Dick.
>> No. 126022
[x] I ’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!
>> No. 126024
[x] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...

This sudden meeting with Sanae and her prompt duel challenge is a rather abrupt turn of events. I don't even see how she would misunderstand our fight with Marisa as "beating up her friends" when she would only be able to learn that it happened at all from Marisa herself, considering how Aya apparently didn't catch that story for one of her headlines. That can only mean Marisa miscommunicated something to Sanae, or she went off to seek revenge for whatever without even listening to the whole story.

We need to try to talk some sense into her, or at least try to get her to cool off. Don't give her a major fight because she will only respond in kind. If we can subdue her quickly with disabling magic, then that's what we should do.
>> No. 126025
>>126024
Well, he is really not helping with all the trash talk and insults. That only helps to make things even worse.
But on the other side, he would fit into Gensokyo. Doing things for shit and giggles sounds like his style.
>> No. 126026
[x] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...

I'm only voting for this if this shit isn't Baleful, or if we can pop it right off after a suitably short amount of time.

Remember, it's all fun and games until someone's personality and intelligence is irreversibly subsumed into their alternate form, effectively killing them.
>> No. 126027
[X] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...

I'm intrigued.

>He’s not my boyfriend.
For now.

And I like this fairly intelligent Cirno. It's annoying when she's made pants-on-head retarded.
>> No. 126028
[x] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!

Option 3 is very tempting, but I have a feeling beating her at her own game is probably the best way to get her to shut up and listen/piss off. After all if we just blast her fair and square she can't whine about cheating or whatever after we whup her. Mind if it looks like we might lose it's always good to have a plan B...
>> No. 126029
[x] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!
>Cirno says, climbing into your lap
Oh hoh, this story just got that much better.
>> No. 126031
[x] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!

Turning Sanae into a frog is tempting, but seems like a really bad idea with Cirno there.
>> No. 126032
[x] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...

Remember, MC's from a world where this stuff is almost always lethal. Let's try to avoid setting her on fire or something, alright?
>> No. 126033
[X] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...

I'm against attempting to out danmaku Sanae. Powerful though we are, our unfamiliarity with spellcard rules (meaning we might slip up and do some serious damage) and Sanae's skills in that area just mean we're pitting our weakness against our enemy's strength.

Gogo alternative magic!
>> No. 126037
>>126026

Well, recall the description of Baleful Polymorph in 3.5:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/balefulPolymorph.htm

>If the subject remains in the new form for 24 consecutive hours, it must attempt a Will save. If this save fails, it loses its ability to understand language, as well as all other memories of its previous form, and its Hit Dice and hit points change to match an average creature of its new form. These abilities and statistics return to normal if the effect is later ended.

Not permanent, only a problem after 24 hours, and the MC will dispel it long before that. He's rude, but not a bastard. Of course, there's something to be said for beating people at their own game, and perhaps somebody else you'll meet today will be a better candidite for frog-dom...

Almost forgot; Re: familiars. Yes, you can pick up a non-standard familiar in Gensyoko, including a fairy, though Cirno is a proper person, so I don't think she'd be eligible.
>> No. 126038
[x] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!

Tempted pulling a tricky one, but I want to see some action.
>> No. 126039
[x] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!
>> No. 126040
[x] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...
with the conditions >>126026 mentioned.

Why do we always end up fighting my favorite characters? Why can't we beat up Tewi or something?
>> No. 126041
File 128786419014.jpg - (18.92KB , 250x291 , 1260425043035.jpg ) [iqdb]
126041
>>126040

>Why can't we beat up Tewi or something?

That... gives me an idea.
>> No. 126043
>>126037
I'm just coverin' my bases in case some shit hits the fan and we have Frog!Sanae hopping around and we can't find the little frenchie bait before the timer hits Aw Hell Naw.
>> No. 126044
[x] >>126039
>> No. 126045
Not really very familiar with class specifics, but isn't there a Reflect spell?

Would that bounce all the bullets back, or just the first bullets that hit?
>> No. 126046
[x] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...
>> No. 126047
[X] I ’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!

Turning her into a frog? Really? How big of a dick do you want our protagonist to be, Anon?
>> No. 126048
>>126037
>though Cirno is a proper person, so I don't think she'd be eligible.

Awww.
Well, she did seem rather interested in magic, so I guess we could try taking her on as an apprentice atleast, right?

[x] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...
>> No. 126049
[x] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...
What a delightfully bastardly idea.
>> No. 126050
>>126047
It's not permanent. We'll let her freak the fuck out for a round or two, then hit her with a Dispel Magic.

Or we have frog legs for dinner.
>> No. 126051
>>126050
>have frog legs for dinner
IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

YES SUWAKO I'M LOOKING AT YOU
>> No. 126052
[X] I ’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!
>> No. 126053
>>126047
She'll get better.
>> No. 126054
>How big of a dick do you want our protagonist to be
Let's take a look at the options.
>Beat her up and make fun of her.
>Beat the shit out of her and possible make fun of her.
>Turn her into a frog and make fun of her.
He is a Dick whatever you choose.
>> No. 126055
>>126054
Right, which is why I asked "how big". Beating someone up is par for the course in Gensokyo; turning them into frogs goes above and beyond.

>>126050
>We'll let her freak the fuck out for a round or two
That's sort of like saying you're going to hold someone's head underwater, but only for a half minute or so. Yeah, there's no permanent physical damage, but it is a profoundly terrifying experience and basically removes any possibility of Sanae having anything but animosity towards us.

Not trying to be all serious business here; just sayin' that our protagonist seems to be slowly progressing from "lovable dick" to "mean-spirited dick", and we should probably get a handle on that sometime soon.
>> No. 126056
[Zap!] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!
>> No. 126058
>>126054
[ ] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!
>> No. 126059
>>126024

>miscommunicated

Marisa probably told Sanae exactly what happened- he kicked in her front door and proceeded to trash her place while trying to kick her ass. That seems pretty straightforward. Of course, Marisa left out the bit about the books.

The better question is; what was Sanae doing near the village, anyhow?
>> No. 126060
[X] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...

This, only, path, etc.
>> No. 126062
>>126055
>That's sort of like saying you're going to hold someone's head underwater, but only for a half minute or so. Yeah, there's no permanent physical damage, but it is a profoundly terrifying experience and basically removes any possibility of Sanae having anything but animosity towards us.
...
I didn't think of it like that...
>> No. 126063
[X] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...
>> No. 126068
The funniest part about the frog thing is that Cirno is by us. Like a 'bad cop, worse cop' routine.
>> No. 126069
>>126055

Assuming her memories of such an event are complete anyway. You lose all your mental stats when you're transformed so when you come back I'm pretty sure everything would be really, really hazy at best.

"What did you...?"
"Turned you into a frog."
"Bu..wha?"
"Yep.
"What!?"
>> No. 126070
>>126069
From what was written about Baleful Polymorph, it sounds almost as bad as what happens when you transform people into animals in the Dresden Files. If Sanae is turned into a frog, will she still have her mind intact or anything?
>> No. 126071
>>126070
Seconded. This is important.
>> No. 126072
[x] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...
>> No. 126073
>>126070

See

>>126037

No effect on your mind until 24 hours pass.
>> No. 126074
And even then the effect is only until restored to your natural form, so no worries.
>> No. 126076
[x] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...


Learn how to danmaku later.
>> No. 126078
[x] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!
No. We just met. No.
>> No. 126080
[x] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!

Danmaku versus danmaku.
Challenging the rules will lead us to a fight against Reimu.
>> No. 126081
[X] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done.
[X] Summon Frog Swarm

Frogmaku.
>> No. 126082
>>126080
Can I add
[x] "Summon Frog Swarm" to this?
>> No. 126083
[X] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...

Lol. Sanae, that evil girl, killing fairies.
>> No. 126084
>"Summon Frog Swarm"

But we're not a druid. We don't have access to spells like that.
>> No. 126085
>>126084

oh rly?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonswarm.htm

Modifying it to "frogs" seems relatively minor to me. Hell, it's a biblical plague.
>> No. 126086
>>126085
My mistake then.
>> No. 126088
>>126073
And how long do we intend to keep Sanae in frog form, if we do shapeshift her? That option has a high chance of doing permenant damage even with >>12603.
>> No. 126090
[x] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!
-[x] "Summon Frog Swarm" as well.

Works for me.
>> No. 126091
File 128789646446.png - (13.81KB , 200x184 , 1253817078208.png ) [iqdb]
126091
>>126088

>That option has a high chance of doing permenant damage

No, it doesn't. It really doesn't. Unless spending 30 seconds as a frog would destroy somebody's mind.
>> No. 126093
>>126091
I once walked in on my parents having hot, sweaty sex. I saw bread rolls, two gallons of water, an ointment of some kind, and a foot tall statue of a rooster.

Standing there frozen in terror for several seconds has scarred me to this day.
>> No. 126094
>>126093

...
>> No. 126095
Well, if the author says there won't be permanent damage, there probably won't be permanent damage. I still think it's a dick move, though.
>> No. 126099
File 128790324759.png - (225.04KB , 800x500 , 0a80abea6dfb836e993afc84da7631eb.png ) [iqdb]
126099
>>126095
Author says it is fine for 24 hours. But who says that we have time to undo it in time.

At least it won't get boring. Who wouldn't want to get hunted down till the ends of Gensokyo and beyond by 2 angry gods.
>> No. 126100
>and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...

Rank 0 demigods are immune to polymorph and any other effect that alters their form. It's in the SRD guys.

I don't think Non-lethal Substitution works with Summon Swarm, either.

[x] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!

This is the Wizard's introduction to danmaku. Laser is not difficult.

Question for the author: It's not core, but does the Wizard know Isaac's Lesser/Greater Missile Storm? Few spells are so well tailored for bullet hell.
>> No. 126101
>>126100

What wizard doesn't? It's a great way to remove hordes of lesser enemies.
>> No. 126104
>>126080

See that's my real issue with the frog choice sure this enemy lacks any real back up superpowers so we could probably bully our way past, but that's hardly the case with all of them. In the case of the stronger entities danmaku would basically be what stands between us and them just exploding our heads with a glance if we're caught flatfooted.

It seems better to practice now on a fairly weak oppenent then have to try and learn it when we run across something we CAN'T just bully later to save our asses. Plus if you win so much taunting to be had about how you beat her without any experience at her own game.
>> No. 126106
[X] "Keine, who is this joker, and will there be any repercussions if I turn her into a frog during a nonlethal magical duel?"
[x] "Getting attacked by major religious leaders on my third day here. That's a step up from ghosts...? Bah, and here we were supposed to be keeping a low profile."
-[x] (I hate jobbing...) "Oh, no, I am defeated. You have definitely shown me via fighting, strange algae haired girl, that violence isn't the answer. Truly I am a greatly changed person." [/monotone]
>> No. 126107
X] "Keine, who is this joker, and will there be any repercussions if I turn her into a frog during a nonlethal magical duel?"
[x] "Getting attacked by major religious leaders on my third day here. That's a step up from ghosts...? Bah, and here we were supposed to be keeping a low profile."
-[x] (I hate jobbing...) "Oh, no, I am defeated. You have definitely shown me via fighting, strange algae haired girl, that violence isn't the answer. Truly I am a greatly changed person." [/monotone]
>> No. 126108
X] "Keine, who is this joker, and will there be any repercussions if I turn her into a frog during a nonlethal magical duel?"
[x] "Getting attacked by major religious leaders on my third day here. That's a step up from ghosts...? Bah, and here we were supposed to be keeping a low profile."
-[x] (I hate jobbing...) "Oh, no, I am defeated. You have definitely shown me via fighting, strange algae haired girl, that violence isn't the answer. Truly I am a greatly changed person." [/monotone]
>> No. 126109
[x] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!

Peace through superior firepower.
>> No. 126112
[X] "Keine, who is this joker, and will there be any repercussions if I turn her into a frog during a nonlethal magical duel?"
[x] "Getting attacked by major religious leaders on my third day here. That's a step up from ghosts...? Bah, and here we were supposed to be keeping a low profile."
-[x] (I hate jobbing...) "Oh, no, I am defeated. You have definitely shown me via fighting, strange algae haired girl, that violence isn't the answer. Truly I am a greatly changed person." [/monotone]
>> No. 126113
[X] "Keine, who is this joker, and will there be any repercussions if I turn her into a frog during a nonlethal magical duel?"
[x] "Getting attacked by major religious leaders on my third day here. That's a step up from ghosts...? Bah, and here we were supposed to be keeping a low profile."
-[x] (I hate jobbing...) "Oh, no, I am defeated. You have definitely shown me via fighting, strange algae haired girl, that violence isn't the answer. Truly I am a greatly changed person." [/monotone]
>> No. 126114
[X] "Keine, who is this joker, and will there be any repercussions if I turn her into a frog during a nonlethal magical duel?"
[x] "Getting attacked by major religious leaders on my third day here. That's a step up from ghosts...? Bah, and here we were supposed to be keeping a low profile."
-[x] (I hate jobbing...) "Oh, no, I am defeated. You have definitely shown me via fighting, strange algae haired girl, that violence isn't the answer. Truly I am a greatly changed person." [/monotone]
>> No. 126116
[X] "Keine, who is this joker, and will there be any repercussions if I turn her into a frog during a nonlethal magical duel?"
[x] "Getting attacked by major religious leaders on my third day here. That's a step up from ghosts...? Bah, and here we were supposed to be keeping a low profile."
-[x] (I hate jobbing...) "Oh, no, I am defeated. You have definitely shown me via fighting, strange algae haired girl, that violence isn't the answer. Truly I am a greatly changed person." [/monotone]

Delete this >>126021 forgot the password.
>> No. 126117
Changing my vote from this: >>126033

To this:

[X] "Keine, who is this joker, and will there be any repercussions if I turn her into a frog during a nonlethal magical duel?"
[x] "Getting attacked by major religious leaders on my third day here. That's a step up from ghosts...? Bah, and here we were supposed to be keeping a low profile."
-[x] (I hate jobbing...) "Oh, no, I am defeated. You have definitely shown me via fighting, strange algae haired girl, that violence isn't the answer. Truly I am a greatly changed person." [/monotone]
>> No. 126119
>>126058
Changing vote to

[X] "Keine, who is this joker, and will there be any repercussions if I turn her into a frog during a nonlethal magical duel?"
[x] "Getting attacked by major religious leaders on my third day here. That's a step up from ghosts...? Bah, and here we were supposed to be keeping a low profile."
-[x] (I hate jobbing...) "Oh, no, I am defeated. You have definitely shown me via fighting, strange algae haired girl, that violence isn't the answer. Truly I am a greatly changed person." [/monotone]
>> No. 126120
[X] "Keine, who is this joker, and will there be any repercussions if I turn her into a frog during a nonlethal magical duel?"
[x] "Getting attacked by major religious leaders on my third day here. That's a step up from ghosts...? Bah, and here we were supposed to be keeping a low profile."
-[x] (I hate jobbing...) "Oh, no, I am defeated. You have definitely shown me via fighting, strange algae haired girl, that violence isn't the answer. Truly I am a greatly changed person." [/monotone]

This is the light and the way.
>> No. 126121
>>126106
Ho hum. I dislike the idea of turning Sanae into a frog, but I dislike the idea of hedging our bets and asking for advice at every unexpected turn even more. Our wizard actually has a personality; let's not turn him into Standard CYOA Protagonist #72.
>> No. 126126
>>126121
Our wizard have a personnality, right.
He's a dick, and we like him because he's a dick.
>> No. 126128
>>126126
There's limits to how far to go before said character becomes unlikable. There's a good number of characters in media that would have been more popular if they didn't overdo something.
>> No. 126130
>>126126
He is a dick but now he behaves like a complete asshole.
>> No. 126131
>>126130

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
>> No. 126133
Leave it to the morality brigade to ruin the fun.
>> No. 126136
Meh. If you hate the main character, don't complain about it. Purposefully vote for stupid ideas to see him get his ass kicked. It's way more fun, and has about the same chance of actually making a difference.
>> No. 126137
>>126128

I think I would be thoroughly disappointed in Demetrious if he didn't at least eventually give us the option for crossing the Moral Event Horizon.
>> No. 126140
>>126121
>>126128
>>126137
There's crossing the Moral Event Horizon and pissing of what goes for major religions. If there's a choice to wipe out all three Moryia shrine figures and reason to do so that's a valid option but "Mwahaha!! I shall turn random people into frogs!" is just plain asking for trouble from people higher up in the food chain.

By taking a fall now people will underestimate us (Oh, he's under Sanae-level in powerscales, can't be that dangerous) and we can learn about how duelling works around here while not showing off all our massive offensive magics.

This is a wizard who's actually most likely got a kill count in the hundreds, if not thousands. The outcome of the equivalent of a children's card game isn't going to be too much of a rankle. And he can always cast delayed nonlethal explosive runes on her pants or something afterwards.

(...I'm now suddenly imagining a small "poof!" of an explosion under Sanae's skirt while in the middle of a crowd, the skirt itself as if caught in an upwind and her underwear disintegrating. It's rather an amusing thought.)
>> No. 126143
Well...Demetrious seems to be implying that turning her into a frog would be more silly than mind-breakingly terrifying, so my vote stay as is.
>> No. 126144
[X] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...

Polymorph. POLYMORPH!
>> No. 126146
>>126106
>>126119
>>126117
>>126116

Pardon me, when did we go from Wizard McDragoneater to Generic Doormat #313?
>> No. 126147
>>126146
between the last and this update.
>> No. 126148
>>126146
Ever since it became apparent Keine has a head-butt capable of penetrating the hull of the USS Reagan.
>> No. 126150
Our loveable asshole antihero has just met Sanae and immediately made fun of her until she shot at him. Let me repeat that, there are shots coming at him right now, because he's a dick. And we have 10 people who think he should now pause and ask Keine if there will be "repercussions" if he fucks with her.

What story are you people reading?

If we were going to get bad ends or terrible consequences for doing ridiculous things in this story, we wouldn't have made it past the first thread.

[x] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...

The author has made multiple posts clarifying that this won't cause brain damage or psychosis or whatever you people are paranoid about. And practicing danmaku is boring, we aren't here to grind levels. The only thing that worries me about this is Cirno. I don't play D&D, is there some kind of "thaw" spell we could pull out of our ass if worse comes to worst?

>>126136
There are dozens of active stories on this site. If you don't like this one, find another.
>> No. 126151
>>126147
Is this the reason why Demetrious' updates has been slowing down?

Fuck.
>> No. 126152
[X] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...
>> No. 126155
>[X] "Keine, who is this joker, and will there be any repercussions if I turn her into a frog during a nonlethal magical duel?"
>[x] "Getting attacked by major religious leaders on my third day here. That's a step up from ghosts...? Bah, and here we were supposed to be keeping a low profile."
>-[x] (I hate jobbing...) "Oh, no, I am defeated. You have definitely shown me via fighting, strange algae haired girl, that violence isn't the answer. Truly I am a greatly changed person." [/monotone]

Demetrious, I fully trust you to not write this.

[X] That whole frog motif gives me an idea... and a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...
>> No. 126156
>>126155
Well, it's not going to win, so...
>> No. 126157
Well, I guess huge shouting matches are pretty inevitable in any story this popular.
>> No. 126158
Even if true, harping on someone for being an asshole in Gensokyo is like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500. How about instead of ethics, we talk some D&D.

>>126150
>The author has made multiple posts clarifying that this won't cause brain damage or psychosis or whatever you people are paranoid about.

If it works. Note the second part of the vote:
>a teenage girl probably won’t be able to fight off the spell, either...

That's called a hint guys.

Even if she weren't divine and immune to most enchantments plus the 32 SR, she'd still have high Fort saves as a Cleric. When the attempt fizzles, and she realizes you just tried to turn her into a newt instead of just throwing danmaku her, she's going to do what a cleric does best: She's going to buff herself. Spell Immunity or Greater Spell Immunity locks you down almost completely by taking away all your bread & butter damage spells. Dimensional Lock or Forbiddance stops you from getting away, no save. She has double base speed, so you ain't flying away from this either. Spiritual Weapon forces you to make Concentration checks every round you want to cast a spell. Owl's Wisdom increases her Will save and caster level. Now she probably is at a significantly lower CL than the Wizard, but she gains max HP per HD and she has Damage Reduction 10/epic. Your reflex saves and AC sucks, so she'll have no problem hitting you when she she's done buffing and ready to beat your ass. Tenser's Transformation isn't an option, because if she takes to the air you won't be able to fly or shoot her down.

Or maybe she can just use Miracle at will like it states on her character description. Then it probably doesn't matter what you try to do.

This isn't Marisa, who is purely human, probably unable to fly without her broom, and almost powerless up front against higher level character, even if that character is also a spell caster.

The only sensible way I see of winning this is to either play by the rules or take her ass out she starts taking you serious. 'Cute' spells like Polymorph aren't what you want here, but ranged touch or 1/2 Ref save AoE attacks that bypass SR. They'd need to be high damage since you need to penetrate her Epic DR and drain her high HP.

>>126150
>I don't play D&D, is there some kind of "thaw" spell we could pull out of our ass if worse comes to worst?

Even if it were possible to polymorph Sanae, and it's not simple a matter of freezing a frog, since with Baletful Polymorph Sanae would retain her HP if not her saves or ability scores. And Cirno's not that dumbfuck impulsive as to freeze her; she just flagged Sanae down like she were meeting an old friend.
>> No. 126160
>>126158
That's metagaming though. Wizard only knows of Sanae as a teenage girl.

Shame on you.
>> No. 126161
>>126160
It's not the first time we've tried to metagame. That "oh hey I just happened to have prepared to be scryed on this morning" thing almost won, for one.
>> No. 126162
I don't know about the rest of them, but I mostly voted the plead for mercy choice because the choice itself was already laced with sarcasm. Imagine what our Wizard would do with it.
>> No. 126165
>>126162

Likewise - MC isn't rolling over. He's not fighting because its a waste of his time and spell slots.

Besides, the minute people start arguing meta-game concepts and what-ifs you might as well just assume that Sanae has more HP than we do, more damaging spells and an unlimited ammount of them (compared to our very limited selection). Sanae's possible attributes are no more of an argument for or against frogging than they are one for or against using ray works on her.
>> No. 126166
File 128795846870.jpg - (22.45KB , 400x333 , Sanae uwaaaaah.jpg ) [iqdb]
126166
Pic related.
It's Demetrious's face right now.
>> No. 126168
ITT a second GH was born, if only swapping out the routefags with the moralfags.
>> No. 126169
>>126160

He knows this is a realm where everyone is handed-out quote 'crazy bullshit superpowers', and almost all of these bizarre entities have so far been little girls. He also knows that Sanae is Marisa's friend, and so likely has magic power by association, that she thinks she can take on the guy who beat Marisa up, and finally that she just shot what looked like a spray of bright comets at him.

So yeah. He can make a reasonable assumption she's not just a regular high school girl.

And it's only metagaming if the privileged knowledge leads to choices or actions of the PC that are out of character. That we're given alternative choices proves that attempting to polymorph a god isn't the only reasonable course of action. Just as there are things the Wizard knows that we don't, there are things we know that he doesn't. Blending the decision of the voter with what goes on in the Wizard's head is called good storytelling. That goes for both D&D and CYOAs.
>> No. 126170
>>126168
At least route choices aren't a concern here.
KEINEKEINEKEINEKEINEKEINEKEINEKEINE
>> No. 126171
>>126158
Magic doesn't work the same way in Gensokyo, and she's not a magician. Don't think of her in terms of what spells she's going to cast to buff herself. She might be able to "miracle" her way out of anything, though.

I don't really expect the frog spell to make her completely helpless, but at worst it'll just make her wonder what other crazy shit we've got up our sleeves. And it'll be funny. Probably.

Also, I don't think we want to reduce her HP, unless the magical contract of danmaku dueling has turned HP into the "health bar" in the games, and zero HP just means you lose the duel. We should really confirm how this works before we go and mortally wound someone.
>> No. 126173
>>126171
>Magic doesn't work the same way in Gensokyo, and she's not a magician. Don't think of her in terms of what spells she's going to cast to buff herself. She might be able to "miracle" her way out of anything, though.

It's a D&D CYOA. How the hell are we supposed to think about it if not in terms of that? And I wasn't assuming she was a magician. The Wizard however is not familiar with shrine maidens, and if he sees magic being hurled at him by one, he's probably going to assume that the foe is a magician, with high Will saves. I was assuming she would be a Cleric, but a CHA-based divine spellcaster is fine too. That the Wizard can still cast spells the same way he is used to proves that the Vancian spell casting system is at least compatible with the magic of Gensokyo. Maybe magic uses power points, maybe it uses 4e rules, or maybe it's just cast spontaneously? Miracle or Lesser Miracle as a supernatural or spell-like ability is pretty reasonable for a rank 0 quasi-deity.

>I don't really expect the frog spell to make her completely helpless, but at worst it'll just make her wonder what other crazy shit we've got up our sleeves. And it'll be funny. Probably.

It's a very simple spell. It either turns the target into a 1 HD animal, or it does absolutely nothing. Then you lose a round for Sanae to throw more bullshit energy rocks at you, if you're lucky and her Spellcraft ranks are low (meaning she won't know what spell you cast) and she doesn't realize you're an actual threat. Then you get to do what you should have done in the first place.

>Also, I don't think we want to reduce her HP, unless the magical contract of danmaku dueling has turned HP into the "health bar" in the games, and zero HP just means you lose the duel. We should really confirm how this works before we go and mortally wound someone.

It's called non-lethal substitution. Doesn't even require a higher spell slot. It's certainly no more harmful than turning someone into a toad. Not that that's actually going to work.
>> No. 126175
>>126106
Since it seems to be bugging lots of people I'll change my vote.

[X] "Keine, who is this joker, and will there be any repercussions if I turn her into a frog during a nonlethal magical duel?"
[x] "Getting attacked by major religious leaders on my third day here. That's a step up from ghosts...? Bah, and here we were supposed to be keeping a low profile."
-[x] (I hate jobbing...) "Oh, no, I am defeated. You have definitely shown me via fighting, strange algae haired girl, that violence isn't the answer. Truly I am a greatly changed person." [/monotone]
[x] Blow up her pants at a later date.
>> No. 126176
File 128796543980.jpg - (490.82KB , 1224x1000 , c734bdb4f051e076f18fb81b186fb4ce.jpg ) [iqdb]
126176
[X] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS!


You dive to your left, flopping gracelessly in the corn stubble at Keine’s feet as the cluster of magic projectiles blast past you. Lurching to your feet, you make a symbol with your hands and-

“No!” Keine shouts. “Don’t hurt her! It’s nonlethal!”

“I freaking know!” you yell, diving for the dirt as another dozen comets blast overhead. You cast Haste. “It isn’t my first spell-duel!” Sanae has taken to the air, weaving and ducking in anticipation of your counter-attack. You catch sight of Keine and Cirno scrambling for distance as Sanae unleashes another attack, a proper cloud of missiles now that the bystanders are clear.

This time you’re ready, sprinting and zig-zagging through the field as bright comets blast clods of dirt into the air all around you. Your Overland Flight spell you cast that morning is still in effect, but you move much faster while Hasted, and your reactions are a bit better, too.

“I’m just getting started, you bully!” Sanae shouts down at you, and sends more bright comets streaking at you, accompanied by a blitz of smaller bolts of light. You put on more speed, straining yourself to the limit as the shorn field is blasted asunder by Sanae’s ferocious attacks. For a moment you’re sorely tempted to turn the girl into a frog; but with her currently airborne, the option is sadly closed. Instead, you come to a halt and thrust your palm forth, sending a tiny glowing bead streaking up towards Sanae.

“That can’t be all you’ve got,” Sanae says, easily dodging the single magical bead. “Take me seriously and-”

With a percussive BAM!, the Explosive Fireball detonates, the edge of the blast catching Sanae and sending her tumbling through the air. She stabilizes just in time to duck Melf’s Acid Arrow.

“My turn,” she announces confidently, and another sweep of her stick- which you now assume to be a wand- unleashes an attack like you’ve never seen before. An explosion of energy bursts forth from Sanae in a tornadic spiral, a glowing whirlwind of destruction that expands towards you rapidly.

The cyclone of energy reaches you, their inevitable approach seeming almost sluggish as your excellent reflexes, honed by years of life-or-death combat, take over. You spot a gap developing in the expanding pattern and bolt to meet it, your feet kicking up clods of earth as the entire sky fills with Sanae’s wrath. You close the last few yards, and dive for the safe spot, your Ring of Evasion radiating warmth as it’s magic engages, guiding your tumbling body through the storm as great showers of dirt climb into the air from detonating wind-bullets.

For a few long moments there’s no sound save the soft whumps of dirt clods falling back to earth. The cloud of atomized dirt is blasted away with a wave of Sanae’s wand, revealing you standing upright, untouched, and very pissed off in the midst of the destruction.

“Amateur,” you sneer.

“Asshole!” retorts Sanae.

“SCREEEEEE!” screams the hippogriff.

“Whaaa!” Sanae screams in abrupt terror as the hippogriff, which you summoned a few feet to her left, charges in to attack. Catching her completely by surprise, it takes everything the green-haired girl has to evade the powerful blows of the half-ton creature’s formidable claws. You take the time to cast another spell, and finally take to the air to put yourself at Sanae’s altitude.

Above, Sanae manages to get a little distance from her hippogriff assailant, and has just drawn back her wand to atomize the beast, when you finally unleash some danmaku of your own- Issac’s Lesser Missile Storm. Ten magical force-bolts blast from your hands towards the hapless miko. With a hippogriff on her left, and a cloud of missiles hurtling in from below, Sanae darts to the right.

The hollow-sounding doonk! of Sanae’s head bouncing off the invisible Wall of Force is clearly audible from across the field. She wobbles unsteadily, trying to orient herself, but the missiles are already upon her, a few blasting the Celestial hippogriff back to the dimension from whence it came, and the rest blasting into Sane, hammering her against the Force Wall relentlessly.

The green-haired miko tumbles limply from the sky, and you dive to intercept, catching her just before she impacts the ground. You land gently, still holding a moaning Sanae in your arms. Keine and Cirno come sprinting across the smoldering field, Cirno whooping and cheering with delight.

“What the hell did you do!?” Keine says when she reaches you, leaning over to inspect Sanae. “You knocked her senseless!”

“She’s just stunned,” you object, as Sanae begins to shake off the effects, blinking blearily and looking around.

“That was awesome,” Cirno declares avidly. “She was like whoosh and you were like VROOOOM and she was like ASSHOLE and you were like-”

“Cirno, hush,” Keine scolds gently. Sanae seems to come around, her bleary eyes finally focusing on you.

“... hi?” she tries uncertainly.

“I believe we’ve already exchanged salutations,” you reply deadpan.

“Uh, right. You, uh, caught me?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh... thanks?” She clutches her hands to her chest nervously, and now that she’s not trying to blast you, you notice she’s actually quite pretty, green hair or no.

“Put her down,” Keine says flatly.

“I’m not sure if she can stand just yet-”

“I’ll help her,” Keine says in clipped tones, looking at you sternly. You sigh, and gently set the miko on her feet. She sways for a moment, but finds her balance.

“Now,” Keine says, “you mind telling us why you just attacked my friend?”

“He’s your friend?” Sanae says, surprised. “But Miss Kamishirasawa, you’re... you’re...”

“What?”

Nice!” Sanae exclaims.

“Yeah, um... not sure how that happened, either,” Keine admits. “But still, being a smartass isn’t reason enough to initiate danmaku. Even if half the people in Gensyoko attack for less,” Keine says, sighing.

“But Marisa said he was a total jerk, and I shouldn’t trust him!” Sanae objects.

“What did Marisa say, exactly?”

“Well,” Sanae says, counting off on her fingers, “she said he smashed in her front door, hit her with a table, threw a pot of mushrooms at her, swiped her mini-hakkero and taunted her with it, stole a few books, and called her flat-chested.”

“Um,” you reply, rubbing the back of your head awkwardly. “I guess that would give you the wrong impression.”

“From the way you greeted me, I’d say it was the right impression,” Sanae says, crossing her arms and pouting a bit.

“How about the way you greeted me?” you object, offended. “Hark, art thou the knave who accosted mine lady Marisa? Have at thee!”

“You still didn’t have to say all those mean things,” Sanae says, biting her lip and looking at the ground. You can scarcely believe that the cute, pouting teen in front of you was unleashing such hellacious energies at you only minutes ago.

“Listen, I was just-”

“Whatever,” Sanae says, turning to hide her face, still examining the ground. Keine gives you a helpless look and shrugs.

Apparently your sarcastic jibes hurt Sanae more then your half-strength spells did.


[ ] Compliment Sanae’s abilities.
[ ] Compliment Sanae’s looks.
[ ] Check out Sanae’s ass.
[ ] Recant nothing!

---------------------------------------------

This is going to be a strong factor in how Sanae feels towards you for a while. Remember the gist of your earlier jibes when choosing.
>> No. 126177
You probably want to repost this in a new thread.
>> No. 126179
>>126177

Yeah... Real smooth.

Anyway, can't decide what's more in-character: respecting her abilities or just being a jerkass about the whole thing. Both could apply, so I'll hold off voting for now.
>> No. 126180
>[X] I’ll show her how ‘bullet hell’ is done. UNLIMITED RAY SPELL WORKS
Er...ok.

I cannot believe how unprepared I am to deal with my favorite Touhou.
Not voting. Must think.
>> No. 126181
>>126166

EXACTLY.

>>126158

I love it whenever you nerd out on D&D. For the record, I'm considering Sanae to be pretty powerful, but not quite a deity (approaching rank 0 but not quite there yet.) Suwako and Kanako are clearly gods, though nowhere near their original power because of the worship deficit. Still, those two are pretty much as you were describing.

For the curious:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm
>> No. 126183
>>126177

>272 posts

what is this I don't even
>> No. 126185
File 128796753112.jpg - (46.34KB , 572x800 , sanae frog.jpg ) [iqdb]
126185
>>126183
Frogs are serious business, man.

But really; you're popular. Congratulations.
>> No. 126190
>“Hark, art thou the knave who accosted mine lady Marisa? Have at thee!”

Sanae x Marisa pairing? I'm okay with this.

Saving my vote for the next thread when it's up.
>> No. 126192
>>126185

I guess. I've got no idea why, aside from frequent updates.
>> No. 126197
>>126192
>frequent updates

That's half the reason.
>> No. 126209
The other Half would be this being a Nerd's wet dream come true.