[Return]
Archived Thread

File 128599411930.gif - (30.44KB , 600x512 , 1274840956222.gif ) [iqdb]
124226 No. 124226
#1: >>123033

3.5E magic versus touhous. Which is more broken? TUNE IN AS WE FIND OUT!


[X] A variety of awesome write-ins.


“Well...” you pause, suddenly at a loss. You rarely have time to “do anything,” and when you do, it’s stuff like casting magic mouth on baubles in shops so they scream “PICK MEEEE” when somebody picks them up. “I don’t know. What do people do for fu... uh. Wait. Wait,” you say, your dialog breaking down as something Keine said earlier registers. “Did you say stop time?

“Sakuya? Yes.”

The throbbing drumbeat of your pulse is suddenly audible in your ears. “Really.”

“Yes.”

“How many times a day?”

“What do you mean?” Keine looks puzzled.

“I mean,” you say, your voice taught and steady, “how often can she use this ability?”

“Whenever she wants, apparently.”

The edges of your vision start to blur slightly. “And how long does it last?”

“Well nobody can time it- I trust the reason is self-evident- but long enough, I guess. She stops time to get her housework done faster.”

Housework. The word booms and echoes through the chambers of your mind. Housework. After all the sacrifices you’ve made to harness arcane powers beyond the ken of most mortals, and this maid can stop time indefinitely to do.... housework.

You feel it coming, the oncoming pressure wave as the F-bomb blossoms into its full fury.

“FUCK! Does everyone in this lunatic abortion of a demiplane have some ludicrous bullshit power or something? YOU!” you shout, rounding on a surprised Cirno and thrusting an accusing digit. “What the hell do you do, breathe fireballs made out of unicorn giggles?”

You hear a dull thud vibrate through your skull, and find yourself looking up at Keine from the floor. Her mouth is moving, but the words are distant. The thought that she just headbutted you swims vaguely to the surface.

“Thank you,” you say dully, “but I think it’s just temporary.”

Keine sighs and kneels by you, placing a hand on your shoulder. “You must be having a hell of a time with this world,” she says gently.

You sigh, and slowly struggle to your feet. “I’m lucky Cirno led me to you,” you tell Keine. “Without you to explain things, I’d probably be slaying hats on sight by now.”

“Well I couldn’t just leave you,” Keine says, shrugging. “It’s not right, how half these women treat every newcomer that stumbles in as a plaything...”

“Still,” you insist, “I’ve been a little more trouble then most.” Understatement of the year, you add silently. “Until we go for my spellbooks... is there anything I can do for you?”

“Do for me?” She looks puzzled.

“Yeah,” you say. “There’s got to be something. I mean, I speak so many languages I’ve almost lost count, I’m not bad with calligraphy, and you’re a historian, right?

“Well...” she says thoughtfully, twirling a strand of hair around her finger. “I have been working on this project... I’m trying to put together a condensed history of Gensokyo, written in the common tongue. For the school.”

“A textbook?”

“Yes. All the full records are written in Draconic. Somebody who could read that....”

***

After a good hour of transcribing Draconic texts into ‘Japanese,’ you feel much more relaxed. The familiar scent of paper and ink, the familiar tasks of sharpening pens and putting down orderly lines of script are the first vaguely familiar thing you’ve done since getting here. Keine’s enchanted hat can supply the plain language for the textbook easily, but your own comprehensive knowledge of Draconic is needed to make sense of the complex passages in the old histories.

“How’s it coming?” Keine asks.

“Great,” you say. “It’s nice to have an uneventful hour.”

You both tense, glancing at the door, but nothing happens.

“I don’t mind the commotion so much,” Keine says. “Most youkai or humans of note get into all sorts of crazy escapades on a regular basis, but I don’t get drawn into them as ofte-”

“HEEY!” bellows Cirno as she bowls into the room, gripping her hair in frustration. “I’m booored~” she drones in dour tones. “Can’t I help you sharpen pens or something?”

You eye the girl with newfound respect as your heart returns to something like a normal rhythm. There’s no way it’s coincidence- she’s got a natural talent.

“I guess we could take a break,” Keine says hastily, popping the corks into the inkwells.

“A perfect time for you to explain that faith thing,” you remind Keine. “Reading all these histories got me kind of curious; I saw it mentioned a few times.”

Keine sketches out the basics of the faith power principle, recruiting Cirno to help her move stacks of already-referenced texts to the back of the study as she does so.

“So how does this tie into your histories?” you ask.

“Well, like you said earlier, things are remembered one way or another in posterity based on variations in subjective recordings of actual history.”

“.... oh,” you say softly, realizing. “So by tweaking that account, you can alter what people believe, and...”

“Precisely,” Keine says, staggering a little as she takes a of books from Cirno. The little fairy is stronger then she looks. “It’s especially notable because the humans in the village here have little faith in Gods anymore, even though they live amidst the supernatural- which is why our resident demigods have turned to youkai- but they do have faith in science, technology, and hard facts.”

”Which just happens to include your histories,” you finish.

“Yes. Even though almost no townsperson can read them, and fewer still want to, they don’t doubt their accuracy. These histories have been kept faithfully by many factotums before me.”

“So what was all that about ‘creating’ history in your other form?”

“When I’m in the hakutaku form,” she answers, stowing another pile of books, “I have access to all information in Gensokyo.”

You blink. “What.”

All information,” she confirms. “For one night only, but during that time, all secrets are mine. It’s the main reason nobody doubts these histories; all my predecessors had this power as well. And in that form- and as the shift draws closer- I can affect history more directly, like that trick I pulled with your injur- ah, dammit.” The pen tucked behind Keine’s ear just emancipated itself, rolling behind a storage chest.

As she leans over the chest to retrieve it, holding her hat on with one hand, her rear is nicely outlined through her dress, and you can’t help but take a good look. And another. Her attire isn’t saucy in the least, but it’s still clear that Keine has a lovely figure.

Some instinct makes you glance to the side, where you see Cirno smirking at you gleefully.

She knows. She saw it- the lustful glance, the way your eyes followed the lines of Keine’s figure, all of it, and now she’ll make you pay for the threats, the bad scare, and most grievously of all, leaving her out of every conversation. Her mouth opens to deliver the fatal words-

-and a flying book smacks into her with the full force of your magically-augmented strength. The hefty tome sends her sprawling.

“What?” Keine queries, looking up from her search at the noise.

“What?” you ask innocently.

From the corner Cirno sits up and draws in breath for a booming denunciation.

“Ohdearjustlookatthetime,” you say swiftly, springing to your feet. “We’d better check on my chest, it might be here by now.”

“Uh, okay,” Keine says, a bit surprised by your change of front.

***

Retrieving a heavy wooden chest with complete stealth will be impossible, so you decide to go in force with your two companions. The flight is short, with Keine leading the way since the landscape looks rather different from the air. Cirno flies behind you, and you can feel her glare on your back the whole way. It makes you a little nervous.

You land near the clocktower. Keine is already on the ground, staring at the wreck of the airship and the dragon corpse beneath it. She’d already seen Aya’s picture, but you suppose it looks bigger in real life.

“Keine? The chest is in here,” you say, gesturing at the tower.

She slowly tears her eyes from the giant corpse and turns to face you. For a split second, you think you see fear in her eyes.

Which is weird, you think, since she’s been consistently underestimating your capabilities since you got here.

“FOUND IT!” Cirno bellows from inside the tower.

“DON’T TOUCH IT!” you holler. You didn’t ward the thing (why bother, when it’s stored on the Negative Energy Plane?) but you don’t need her sampling any potions of haste. You find Cirno arms-deep in the chest, as you suspected.

“Geddout,” you instruct, catching her by her collar and pulling her away. “Don’t want you melting your face off.” She sticks her tongue out at you and pouts. Kneeling by your chest, you quickly look for your precious grimoires.

“... some of my spellbooks are missing,” you say softly.

“What?” Keine asks.

“Two of them,” you say, inventorying the chest. “Not here. The chest isn’t damaged, the spell worked perfectly. Somebody took them.”

“I think I know who,” Keine says with the dour tones of the long-suffering.

Somebody has taken your spellbooks.

How does this make you feel?

[ ] Amused (who’s gonna be able to read them?)
[ ] Irritated.
[ ] BLOOD AND THUNDER

>> No. 124228
[x] BLOOD AND THUNDER

FUCKERS GONNA PAY
>> No. 124229
[X] BLOOD AND THUNDER

BLOOD, FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
>> No. 124230
[X] BLOOD AND THUNDER

They're right up there with the hat in importance
>> No. 124231
[X] BLOOD AND THUNDER

Oh fuck no, you do not mess with a man's automobile french friees spellbook.
>> No. 124236
[X] BLOOD AND THUNDER

Oh fuck no indeed, a wizard's spellbooks are his life.

[X] Take some sort of rough inventory of spells to see what we can prepare, if any of those spells can help us locate and retrieve the book, and how dangerous it would be if someone figured out how to cast the spells that we think are missing.

That is to say, we should get good and pissed but not go in blind and get our ass handed to us because we've already used a few of our meager spells today.
>> No. 124237
[X] BLOOD AND THUNDER

UNFORGIVABLE
>> No. 124239
[X]BLOOD AND THUNDER

Shit just got REAL.
>> No. 124241
[x] Irritated.
We're still trying to lay low, remember?
>> No. 124242
[X] BLOOD AND THUNDER


[X] Take some sort of rough inventory of spells to see what we can prepare, if any of those spells can help us locate and retrieve the book, and how dangerous it would be if someone figured out how to cast the spells that we think are missing.
>> No. 124248
Bah, a thousand curses at thee!

You made me dust off my Touhou 3.5 Conversions which was originally spurred by that image of Okuu with the appallingly poor statsheet.

I hadn't gotten to Sakuya, Keine or Cirno - but with the exception of the were-cow they're pretty simple. No really.
>> No. 124250
[X] BLOOD AND THUNDER
[x] But not before we take a good inventory of what we have and get it memorized
>> No. 124251
in the previous thread the writefag mentioned that we have 1 level 9 slot and 3 level 8 slots free.

Here's what I propose, should the spells be available:
9th:
Shapechange

8th:
Mind Blank
Polymorph Any Object
Irresistible Dance

Also:
[x]Inventory
[x]Status
>> No. 124252
[x] Irritated.
>> No. 124253
[X] BLOOD AND THUNDER

What a wizard, what a story.
>> No. 124266
[x] Irritated.

[x] Inventory
[x] Status

Irritated suits him the best, really.
>> No. 124268
[x] Irritated now, BLOOD AND THUNDER when we find the thief
[x] Inventory
[x] Status
>> No. 124269
[X] BLOOD AND THUNDER
[x] But not before we take a good inventory of what we have and get it memorized
>> No. 124270
[x] Amused (who’s gonna be able to read them?)
[x] But not before we take a good inventory of what we have and get it memorized
>> No. 124272
On the one hand making a scene isn't recommended by Keine.

On the other, making it clear to one and all that taking our stuff is a bad idea, is a very good idea.
[X]Inventory
[X]Status
[X]Grope
[X]BLOOD AND THUNDER

In that order.
>> No. 124275
[x] PISSED OFF BUT CAUTIOUS.
>> No. 124279
[X]Grope
[X]BLOOD AND THUNDER
>> No. 124280
[X]Grope
[X]BLOOD AND THUNDER
>> No. 124288
[X] Pissed off but cautious.

With the spells we have left, let us wreak a terrible - yet stealthy - vengance upon the thief. Scry and Die time.
>> No. 124289
>somebody TOOK them

God dammit Kirisame.
>> No. 124290
[X] Pissed off but cautious.
-[x] Eye for an eye, a book for a book.
We have to recover them pronto. And THEN steal more as compensation.
>> No. 124291
File 12860317221.jpg - (44.62KB , 640x480 , onizuka16.jpg ) [iqdb]
124291
>somebody TOOK them

The closest thing to the face I can imagine for Wizard MC at the moment he realized it.
>> No. 124297
File 128604015260.jpg - (161.28KB , 750x513 , 5-KJMRG.jpg ) [iqdb]
124297
[x] BLOOD AND THUNDER
>> No. 124298
[X] Irritated.
>> No. 124300
File 128604524678.jpg - (94.88KB , 640x480 , 1278772498006.jpg ) [iqdb]
124300
>Somebody has taken your spellbooks.

>How does this make you feel?

[x] BLOOD AND THUNDER
>> No. 124301
File 128604573316.png - (184.41KB , 579x1552 , FFFFFFFFFFF.png ) [iqdb]
124301
>Somebody has taken your spellbooks.

>How does this make you feel?
>> No. 124308
File 128606000229.jpg - (176.17KB , 640x518 , RAEG.jpg ) [iqdb]
124308
[x]BLOOD AND THUNDER!!!!

DEATH AND MUTILATION!
HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR!
>> No. 124311
File 128606066443.jpg - (162.63KB , 500x594 , 1283523011475.jpg ) [iqdb]
124311
>Somebody has taken your spellbooks.

>How does this make you feel?


[x] BLOOD AND THUNDER
>> No. 124312
File 128606238179.png - (90.99KB , 478x359 , 128222738394.png ) [iqdb]
124312
>Somebody has taken your spellbooks.

>How does this make you feel?
>> No. 124315
File 128606247097.png - (155.62KB , 478x360 , 128222740249.png ) [iqdb]
124315
>>124312
>> No. 124317
File 128606252556.png - (216.01KB , 478x360 , 128222742170.png ) [iqdb]
124317
>>124311
>>124308
>>124301
>>124300
>>124297
>>124280
>>124279
>>124272
>>124269
>>124268
>>124253
>>124250
>>124242
>>124239
>>124237
>>124236
>>124231
>>124230
>>124229
>>124228
>> No. 124319
File 128606301835.jpg - (261.80KB , 800x1115 , 1284498247115.jpg ) [iqdb]
124319
[X] Inventory

You take a moment to check your possessions:

- A ring of Evasion (worn)
- A ring of Counter-spelling (worn) (empty)
- Gauntlets of Herculean Strength (+4 STR)
- Gnomish Repeating Crossbow (Tacticool)
- Dagger (salvaged from the airship)
- 4 unidentified vials (also from the airship)
- Keine’s spare hat (enchanted with limited translation spell)
- Wand of Fireball (x49 charges)

You’ve got more backup equipment in your chest, but we’ll get to that in a moment.

[X] Status

You are at full health. (Keine managed to get you to take the medicine Cirno bought before you set out for the airship.)

Prepared Spells Remaining: You’ve still got most of your daily allotment of spells left; though levels 0-2 are empty (you can’t prepare any spells of those levels from memory.) You’re running a little low on your utility spells (Fly, Greater Invisibility, Teleport, but plenty of dakka spells left (Fireballs altered with a variety of metamagic feats, and Telekinesis.) You can’t quite recall exactly what you prepared; almost like there’s a writefag somewhere who hasn’t finished a character sheet.

Next update after dinner, in an hour or two, at which time I should have a full spell list. Toodles~
>> No. 124328
SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH
[X] BLOOD AND THUNDER
WHEN YOU SEE THE BLACK AND WHITE WITCH WHALE!
>> No. 124329
It is no longer just violence o'clock.

It is VIOLENCE-THIRTY.
>> No. 124331
[x] Irritated.
>> No. 124332
Ohh, marisa is in for a little trouble now.
>> No. 124333
File 128607667720.jpg - (70.98KB , 418x455 , good heavens just look at the time.jpg ) [iqdb]
124333
>>124329
>It is no longer just violence o'clock.

>It is VIOLENCE-THIRTY.
>> No. 124334
[x] BLOOD AND THUNDER

The Wizard is perfectly capable of using danmaku if he has the Non-Lethal Substitution metamagic feat. Spellcards can probably be made by enchanting slips of paper with rune magic.

Strange he doesn't understand the 'faith' thing, as he seems an experience planeswalker and Sigil & the rest of Planescape are built on it, a lot like Gesnokyo.
>> No. 124338
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Uf9rsBbhc

NOW YOU FUCKED UP!
NOW YOU FUCKED UP!
NOW YOU FUCKED UP!
YOU HAVE FUCKED UP NOW!
>> No. 124339
File 128608108860.jpg - (96.41KB , 640x437 , NOW YOU FUCKED UP.jpg ) [iqdb]
124339
[X] BLOOD AND THUNDER

Somebody has taken your spellbooks.

The spellbooks that cost you thousands of gold pieces to buy, fill, and protect. The grimories that represent the end product of all your labors, sacrifices, and feats of mental acumen.

Somebody has taken your fucking spellbooks.

You slam the lid of the chest down so violently it bounces open again. Standing, you turn to Keine.

“Who?” you ask softly, your voice like mist off a cold lake at dawn.

“Marisa Kirisame, most likely. That girl with the hat like yours? She’s insatiably curious and she’s lifted spell techniques from half the people in Gensokyo. If anybody’d have the iron-clad audacity to rifle your chest, it’d be her.”

You nod slightly as Keine speaks. “Now, where.

“Uh...”

“Keine? Where.

“She’s got a cottage in the Forest of Magic-”

“Is that the deciduous one or the bamboo one?”

“Deciduous-”

You whirl, storm back to your chest, and scoop out your remaining grimories, dumping them into your magical pocket. Kicking the chest lid closed, you step outside of the busted clocktower and storm off in the direction of the Forest you saw from the air.

Keine hustles to keep up. “Wait, wait, what are you intending to-”

“Keine” you nearly growl, “you’re clearly a smart woman, so I’ll assume that query is rhetorical.”

“Listen, I know how you feel, but Kirisame is good, and she’s just like you-”

“-and just how is that little broom-swinging, spellbook-thieving tart just like me?”

“She’s brash, headstrong, rude, and frequently violent!” Keine just about shouts. “If you storm in there like this there will be a fight!”

“Oh yeah?” you halt and round on Keine. “I suppose she steals shit from everyone else in town, right?”

“So?”

“And what happens when they come asking for their shit back? Even if they’re nice about it?”

“She...” Keine pauses.

“She blasts them right back out the door, doesn’t she?”

“Uh-”

“Exactly.” You whirl and continue your grim march towards the Forest.

“Don’t you want to fly?” Cirno complains, huffing as she tries to keep up with her short legs.

“No,” you answer. “I’m in the mood to burn some energy right now.”

***

You reach Marisa’s forest cottage around noon. You give the edifice the once-over- it’s sturdily built out of brick and logs, and handsomely trimmed, and smoke is billowing from the chimney, indicating current occupation. You don’t spot any signs, sigils, or other obvious indicators of guards and wards.

On the other hand, you’re not sure you’d give a shit if there were.

“I suppose we should knock?” Keine says uncertainly, looking askance at you. Cirno snorts in derision.

“At least give the diplomatic option a try?” you say sweetly.

“Well, yes...”

You smile placidly, reach into your pocket, and retrieve your hat- your gorgeous, gray hat, bedecked with crescent moons and stars, their faint silver hue glittering splendidly in the afternoon light. You seat it firmly on your head, tilted at a rakish angle.

“Okay, we’ll do it your way.”

Glancing over your shoulder, you spot a fallen log, and with a flick of your wrist and a few swift words, you send it smashing through the front door of Marisa’s cottage with terrific force. Splinters of wood fly everywhere, making Cirno and Keine duck with involuntary alarm.

“KNOCK KNOCK,” you roar, and stomp into the house.

The interior of Marisa’s house is strewn with all manner of objects both fantastic and mundane, but you pay them no mind, stomping over and through the piled brick-a-brack, leaving the foyer and entering the sitting room. There you find Marisa, still trying to extricate herself from a toppled rocking chair, one of your missing grimories laying on the floor nearby.

“Oh, Marisa,” you growl, rage rumbling deep in your chest. “Oh, Marisa, you have fucked up now.”

In a flurry of dress, bloomers, and hat, the witch manages to right herself, and she stares up at you in shock and horror.

“Who the hell are you!?” she fairly screams, scrambling backwards against the wall.

“The guy who’s about to kick your fucking ass!” you bellow, and advance on her. She squeals, and dives into the next room, with you hot on her heels. The next room appears to be Marisa’s laboratory, from the arcane theme of the objects bedecking the tables. The witch makes a beeline for a large pot filled with mushrooms, knocking it over and snatching some sort of small octagonal device out of the bracket underneath. She whirls, device in hand-

-and promptly goes flying ass-over-teakettle as your second Telekinesis spell smashes a wooden table into her side. You advance on her, picking up the pot of mushrooms and tapping it against your palm.

“Where are my spellbooks, you goddamn light-fingered conjurer?”

Marisa, now fairly battered, thrusts the octagonal device towards you again. “MASTER SP-” she manages, before she’s forced to duck the flying mushroom pot, which bounces off the wall behind her with a resounding clang.

Apparently deciding some clearance is needed, the witch turns and dives through one of the laboratories windows. You grab the top of the sill and swing yourself through with almost simian grace. You swiftly scan and spot Marisa, who’s sprinted a good distance into the forest.

You raise your hands, looking for a nice, sturdy branch to knock her legs out from under her, when Marisa stops running, twirls about, and thrusts her strange little device at you again.

“MASTER SPUUMFPH!” she declares, as Cirno slaloms into her with her characteristic enthusiasm.

“Yeah, Cirno! Way to gah-ah-ah-hey!” you complain, as Keine catches you firmly by the ear.

“Okay, knock it the hell off,” Keine declares firmly- but not harshly. You even think you detect a trace of... amusement in her voice?

“Get your goddamn pet Popsicle OFF me before I mulch her!” Marisa snarls, throwing Cirno off and rising to her feet. “What in the hell are... you!” Marisa shouts, pointing at your hat. “Holy shit, Aya was right... but- but-” the battered witch’s face starts turning red as the implications of the last thirty seconds hit her. “Buh- I just borrowed-”

“I’m gonna lend you my boot next. Your hands are full so I’ll have to put it up your-”

“STOP!” Keine roars, her voice ringing with scholastic authority. You both fall silent.

“Kirisame, this is my new friend.” Keine introduces you by name. “You took something rather important to him, and he came to ask for it back. Perhaps we could go inside, sit down, and talk it over?”

Marisa thinks about that for all of half a second. “HELL NO!” she roars, pointing an accusing finger at you. “This assclown barges into my home, tries to kill me, trashes the place, and- and- NO!” She crosses her arms and glares at you. “Give me one good reason I should break bread with this lunatic!”

It seems you are at an impasse.

[ ] “Because hats of a feather flock together.”
[ ] “Because I just kicked your ass, and I can do it again.”
[ ] "Trashed the place? Like you'd be able to tell the difference. I just aired it out a little."
[ ] “You shouldn’t. I’m taking my things and leaving. Try and stop me.”
[ ] Write-in?
>> No. 124340
>>124312
>>124315
>>124317

For the record, I LOL'ed my ass off at this.
>> No. 124341
[X] "Trashed the place? Like you'd be able to tell the difference. I just aired it out a little."

Snark time.
>> No. 124344
That was awesome.

[X] "Trashed the place? Like you'd be able to tell the difference. I just aired it out a little."
-[X] “And besides, I just kicked your ass, and I can do it again.”
>> No. 124347
[X] "Trashed the place? Like you'd be able to tell the difference. I just aired it out a little."
-[X] “And besides, I just kicked your ass, and I can do it again.”
-[X] If we have another Telekenesis spell, and she doesn't seem to be holding on to her little... artifact right now, yank it out of her hands to us.
>> No. 124348
[X] "Trashed the place? Like you'd be able to tell the difference. I just aired it out a little."
-[X] “And besides, I just kicked your ass, and I can do it again.”
-[X] If we have another Telekenesis spell, and she doesn't seem to be holding on to her little... artifact right now, yank it out of her hands to us.
>> No. 124349
[x]>>124344
>> No. 124351
[X] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."
Still trash talk, but less aggressive. We owe Keine that much.
>> No. 124354
Going slightly against the flow here. We didn't come here to brag, show off, or trash talk, we came here for one reason and one reason only.

[X] WHERE ARE THE GODDAMN SPELLBOOKS MARISA

Personally I'm hoping that this will make us come off as less of a jackass.
>> No. 124355
>>124351
Vote deleted, changing to

[X] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."
>> No. 124356
>>124348

Changing to

[X] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."
Still trash talk, but less aggressive. We owe Keine that much.
>> No. 124357
[X] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."
>> No. 124358
[x] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."
>> No. 124359
[X] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."
>> No. 124360
File 128608957525.png - (150.63KB , 750x485 , 124624938314.png ) [iqdb]
124360
>>124339
>> No. 124361
> “KNOCK KNOCK,” you roar, and stomp into the house.

Thank you man for reminding me of that scene in Predator 1, I now have the mental image of Arnold Schwarzenegger with a robe and a wizard hat storming in Marisa's house.

Also

[X] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."
>> No. 124362
[X] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."

Fuck yeah.
>> No. 124363
[x] “You shouldn’t. I’m taking my things and leaving. Try and stop me.”
>> No. 124364
Hey, Marisa and our protaganist can understand each other again. Did he forget to remove Keine's spare hat? I'm pretty sure there has to be a rule barring dual-hatting.
>> No. 124365
[X] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."
>> No. 124366
>>124364

THE POWER OF RAGE TRANSCENDS LINGUISTIC BARRIERS

(alternately, you could assume he was speaking Draconic. There's no way Marisa wouldn't know that.)
>> No. 124368
[X] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."
>> No. 124369
[X] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."
>> No. 124370
>>124364
...I vote we focus on preparing a "Tounges" spell so we can start handwaving this.
>> No. 124374
[X] BECAUSE YOU STILL HAVE A HOUSE. AND IF YOU DON'T ALL YOU WILL HAVE IS A CRATER.
>> No. 124375
[x] “You shouldn’t. I’m taking my things and leaving. Try and stop me.”
This probably won't win so I'll pick the closest alternative

[X] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."
>> No. 124376
[X] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."
>> No. 124378
[X] BECAUSE YOU STILL HAVE A HOUSE. AND IF YOU DON'T ALL YOU WILL HAVE IS A CRATER.

hahaha
>> No. 124379
>>124378
Lovely. I want this.
>> No. 124383
Marisa really should have put some ranks into Concentration.
>> No. 124384
>>124364
As I recall, Cirno had the hat hidden on her person which was why Keine didn't immediately notice it and take it back.

As long as you have the hat with you, it works. Wearing it is optional.

Or something.
>> No. 124385
This is exceedingly off-topic, but...I have the sudden urge for MC Wizard and Sakuya to face off at some distant future point. With our wizard packing a contingent time-stop keyed to someone else stopping time. Bonus points if the fight happens during a rain storm or similar.

...of course, MC Wizard basically has only Sakuya's few seconds of stunned surprise to blow her away before her unlimited uses time-stop has use lose the war of attrition. She wouldn't be expecting it at all though.

Anyway! Back to Marisa.
>> No. 124386
[x] BECAUSE YOU STILL HAVE A HOUSE. AND IF YOU DON'T ALL YOU WILL HAVE IS A CRATER.

I know it won't win, but I'd love to see it worked into the dialogue somehow.
>> No. 124387
>>124385
MC vs Sakuya needs to be over in a single-round telefrag before she could get her action. Same concept vs Flandre and Yukari.

And yes, it is doable.
>> No. 124388
>>124387
I would drop this instantly if MC would win in a single update, effortless, against Sakuya.

If i want to read about overpowered characters who can beat Touhous single handed i would head over to /border/ and read average joe.
>> No. 124389
>>124388 If i want to read about overpowered characters who can beat Touhous single handed i would head over to /border/ and read average joe.

A pre D&D4 wizard may be overpowered but the vancian nature of their magic forces them to play their cards smart and wise.

The ability to anticipate and plan things ahead is what make the difference between a good and a bad wizard.
>> No. 124390
>>124389

Aye, it really because a game of "JUST AS PLANNED!" and a massive Xanatos train wreck...but that doesn't necessarly make good writing.

So liberties will probably be taken.
>> No. 124393
[X] "Trashed the place? Like you'd be able to tell the difference. I just aired it out a little."
[X] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."


Comeon you just can't resist saying the trashed remark to Marisa. I seriously lol'd reading that choice!

But yeah be a bit nice afterwords for Keine since she's really helping and all.
>> No. 124394
>>124390

>Aye, it really because a game of "JUST AS PLANNED!" and a massive Xanatos train wreck...but that doesn't necessarly make good writing.

When did I say something about the "Just as Planned" shit? I loved them in JoJo and Death Note BUT I HATED them when Code Geass ABUSED them ad nauseum.

Code Geass, especially R2, is exactly why "Just as Planned" and plot twist of the week a good story does not make.

About Wizard MC, take it easy guys. It's one of those rare times where I am giggling like a nerd who have found a vanilla AD&D1. Seriously, I also loled at the few references here and there. This CYOA is like a D&D AND Touhou nerd's wet dream.
>> No. 124396
>>124388
The same goes for Touhous decisively kicking the MC's frail ass without much effort. Sure, it'll be difficult to pull off a plausible scenario within a single update, but it isn't impossible. If the relevant characters are portrayed in a believable manner (accounting for strengths, weaknesses and other miscellaneous criteria from fanon/canon), there's absolutely nothing wrong with this unless you're taking personal offense to your waifu getting her ass handed to her or some such. Again, it isn't easy, but a masterfully executed scene would be glorious to read provided that it doesn't happen in excess.

Nevertheless, as much as I'd like to see this pulled off sometime, the risks of a catastrophic CYOA-killing train wreck is too great.
>> No. 124397
[X] "Trashed the place? Like you'd be able to tell the difference. I just aired it out a little."
[X] "I'm not gonna ask for your permission to get what it's mine"
-[x] Grab, with Mage Hand, her focus thing
-[x] "See how being robbed feels? You don't 'borrow' without permission. There's another word for that."
>> No. 124398
The problem is that Sakuya and a few other toehoes have I Win buttons that works as soon as she gets a chance to act. The only way the MC could win is via telefrag. Well, that or Plot Armor, but that would be worse, really.
>> No. 124400
>>124398
How about some physical training and a anti-magic field?
>> No. 124402
>>124400
That seems like a poor idea against... anyone but Marisa and maybe Reimu. Consider that Sakuya fights by throwing knives, and multiclassing into a non-caster class isn't going to let him keep up unless he gets a lot of levels real fast. Most youkai would be even harder for him to take out in physical combat without the benifit of his magic. Lots of them have super strength, for instance.

We'd be much better off giving the anti-magic field to Kiene and persuading her to go around headbutting people.
>> No. 124404
>>124402
Surely he must have some combat skills, after all; he choked a wyvern to death.
>> No. 124405
>>124404
He choked a wyvern to death... with the aid of magic +str gauntlets. Which wouldn't function inside an anti-magic field.
>> No. 124406
>>124405
Not sure how much of it applies to DnD rules, but it just seems to me that to get into a position to be choking the thing he'd need to actually have some skills in combat to start with.
>> No. 124407
MC Wizard's got some serious combat skills - 3.5 rules are funny that way. If we assume he's level 17, his BAB is +8. The equivalent of an 8th level fighter - and that makes him a better brawler, swordfighter, and archer than 99% of every man or woman in the multiverse.

Whether it's all magical, luck or natural skill is up to the PC. But this is what being a high level D&D character does for you.
>> No. 124410
Why are we worrying about killing Touhous again? I'm all for making our peace with Marisa and maybe even teaching her some Vancian magic (or maybe Patchouli instead, she might appreciate it more), or spending our days helping Keine in the village, or something else.

On the other hand now that we've revealed ourselves we should be prepared to deal with Sakuya and such... but that doesn't mean we have to fight them. We have so many more options than that, you know?

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Category:Mind-Affecting_Effect
>> No. 124411
>>124407
Well, for one thing, unless he took martial weapon proficiency he can't use swords or bows without a serious penalty, and unless he took improved unarmed strike he can't use unarmed attacks without people getting an AoO. I wouldn't count on his amazing swordsmanship, archery, or brawling abilities when fighting against someone who is actually a competent warrior. I guess he could use a crossbow and that would technically be archery, but he could only get off one attack a round, even with a light crossbow, unless he took rapid reload.

Unless the MC got such amazing stat rolls that he could make STR a non-dump stat, he is not going to fight on an even level with an 8th level fighter. An 8th level fighter would have good STR, combat-related feats, good armor, and access to martial weapons. The MC's only advantage, in a fight inside an anti-magic field, is having 17 hit dice instead of 8- and even then, it wouldn't be a huge advantage, since a fighter would have bigger hit dice.

>>124406
Some skills in combat, yes. He is 17th level. To get there you have to be some kind of crazy murder machine. However, he was in a pitched battle, armed with several useful magic items, and had access to a huge variety of buff/disabler spells from 1st to 9th level. There are many ways he could have gotten into that situation without being a kung-fu master.
>> No. 124412
>>124411

Of course he's not the best there ever was. But as you said, he is a fantastic murder machine - even with his bare hands if necessary (his HP and BAB assure that despite disadvantages). It doesn't stop his main strength being absolutley with his spells, but it would be unwise to underestimate what, presumably, years of practical combat experience has done for our beloved MC.
>> No. 124413
>>124412
An unarmed strike does 1d3 nonlethal damage. If he has 12 str, which is a bit unusual for a wizard but possible, it would be 1d3+1 nonlethal damage. And each punch would give his opponent an AoO. Even if he has improved unarmed strike for some reason, it would still be 1d3+1 or so lethal damage, which is kind of meh.
Sakuya has daggers, which do 1d4 lethal damage. More if she has over 10 STR. Most youkai would probably have natural weapons and racial STR bonuses. More powerful youkai might very well have racial abilities like DR or regeneration.
Using a melee weapon would help some, but it would really only place him on an equal level to someone like Sakuya... assuming that she does not have more than 8 BAB and has no melee combat feats. The best he could do would be a dagger, club, or quarterstaff. So he can do 1d4+1 or 1d6+1 damage. A youkai with DR 5/history would barely even be scratched by him, unless Keine finds a weapon with history that he has the proficiency to use.

I don't really think that the years of combat experience of standing behind a heavily-armored fighter and casting spells that an average high-level wizard has is going to help him stab supernatural creatures to submission while inside an antimagic field.
>> No. 124414
/th/ - /tg/
I love it.

(sage for not contributing)
>> No. 124418
>>124413
Gods no, wouldn't dream of sending MC Wizard into combat against supernatural beasts - that would be silly (unless we were buffed to the heavens but I digress).

My point about our combat skills was only to say we do have some and they're actually pretty damn good by normal human measure (the typical town guard or thug; good even by some 'heroic' standards if you stick to low levels like E6 does).

I imagine our wizardly combat skills, as evidenced by our 'good' BAB (good relative to normal people) as either being magically augmented or, more fun, as being a really dirty fighter who's picked up a lot of tricks on his climb to the top.
>> No. 124419
[x] BECAUSE YOU STILL HAVE A HOUSE. AND IF YOU DON'T ALL YOU WILL HAVE IS A CRATER

Changing vote to this.
>> No. 124420
>>124418
Oh, I guess we were arguing about different things then. Sorry.
>> No. 124421
Hmm, since the MC can cast 8th level spells, and evocation isn't locked out, does he have Bigby's Clenched Fist? We're going to need it if we run into a certain pair...
>> No. 124423
so... does anyone want to bet on whether Marisa actually stole the books? I know she's the most prominent suspect, but there's always a chance she's actually innocent. After all, no one actually saw her take it (or at least, Mr. Wizard here has yet to speak with anyone other than Keine and Cirno so he cannot verify).
>> No. 124424
>>124423

It seems you missed this.

>There you find Marisa, still trying to extricate herself from a toppled rocking chair, one of your missing grimories laying on the floor nearby.
>> No. 124425
>>124423
>There you find Marisa, still trying to extricate herself from a toppled rocking chair, one of your missing grimories laying on the floor nearby.
Very good odds she did.
>> No. 124431
[X] "Trashed the place? Like you'd be able to tell the difference. I just aired it out a little."
-[X] “And besides, I just kicked your ass, and I can do it again.”
-[X] If we have another Telekenesis spell, and she doesn't seem to be holding on to her little... artifact right now, yank it out of her hands to us.
>> No. 124434
>>124424
indeed I did... my mistake
>> No. 124444
[X] “You shouldn’t. I’m taking my things and leaving. Try and stop me.”
>> No. 124445
File 128616160434.jpg - (210.55KB , 600x900 , CH21B.jpg ) [iqdb]
124445
>>124418
>>124413
>>124411
>>124407

I'll just leave this here....
>> No. 124447
>>124445
Flashbacks!

A friend of mine...Orcish wizard, 22 STR, 10 INT. He found a feat that allowed him to change his primary stat for spellcasting, you see...
>> No. 124448
>>124447
... This is simultaniously both why I hate and why I love 3.5.
>> No. 124450
[cruise control for cool] BECAUSE YOU STILL HAVE A HOUSE. AND IF YOU DON'T ALL YOU WILL HAVE IS A CRATER.
>> No. 124451
>>124448

He just punched physics in the face till they relented and did as he ordered!
>> No. 124453
Well fuck, how are we going to make Marisa our apprentice now?
>> No. 124456
File 128617342110.jpg - (370.10KB , 760x800 , 4df381a86595de7966b40340bb032db64db08af0.jpg ) [iqdb]
124456
[X] “Because I kicked your ass, and I can do it again.”
[X] “I’m not asking your permission to take what’s mine!”
[X] Swipe that hakkero!



“HELL NO!” Marisa roars, pointing an accusing finger at you. “This assclown barges into my home, tries to kill me, trashes the place, and- and- NO!” She crosses her arms and glares at you. “Give me one good reason I should break bread with this lunatic!”

“She thinks I was trying to kill her?” you mutter to Keine in Draconic. “I thought you said she was competent?”

Marisa’s slender frame seems to swell with fury and fire dances in her golden eyes. “SAY A COWARD CHEATER FUCK WHO CANNOT DO SHIT UNLESS USE UNEXPECTED ATTACK!” she bellows- in passable, if stilted, Draconic.

Naturally.

The enraged witch storms through the forest towards you and Keine, Cirno hustling to keep up. Marisa’s gripping her little octagonal device in a white-knuckled grip and her mouth is set in a grim line. You’re taken aback for a second- but only a second, as you remember who the real aggrieved party is. Pulling free of Keine’s restraining hand on your arm, you grimly march towards the blonde-haired tart who made off with your grimories.

You meet halfway, and Marisa waves her little device under your nose as if she’s thinking of socking you with it. “I is this close to ramming lasers up your ass till you ASPLODE!” she rages, her amateur Draconic clearly slipping a bit. “You want keep your livers intact, you better make with the groveling!”

“Grovel!?” you snarl with astonished umbrage. “Bitch, I just kicked your ass, and I can do it again! And I’ll tounge-kiss a carrion crawler before I ever, ever, ever grovel to claim what’s RIGHTFULLY MINE! ADSUETUS ABSURDUS DICTI!”

You thrust your palm at Marisa’s chest and your last Telekinesis spell blasts her clean off her feet and back a few yards, leaving her little octagonal device in mid-air, as per the laws of inertia. You deftly snatch it out of the air before it can hit the ground. Marisa springs to her feet, thrusts her hand at you- and realizes it’s empty. You waggle the little device at her mockingly.

The reaction is better then you could have hoped for. “My hakkero! GIVE IT BACK!” she nearly wails. She rushes towards you again, and you hold up your palm to ward her off. Marisa stops short, not knowing your telekinetic spells are spent for the day.

“Make this yourself?” you ask, holding the “hakkero” up for inspection.

“Give- it- back!” Marisa growls, undeterred. Her slender frame is tense, and vibrating with nervous apprehension.

“What does this junk do, anyways?”

“GIVE IT TO ME!” Marisa screams, fists balled, and to your surprise you realize she’s near tears. She’s also near homicidal assault.

“How does it feel to be ROBBED?” you scream right back, raising your hand and shaking the little hakkero for emphasis. “How does it feel to have the most important thing you own taken from you!? Feels like shit, doesn’t it? Makes you pretty fucking angry, doesn’t it? Well that’s how I feel!” You fling the wooden octagon at Marisa’s feet, and she hastily bends to scoop it up.

“Those spellbooks,” you hiss, pointing at Marisa’s house, “contain everything I’ve sacrificed for. All the years I spent combing through dusty libraries, all the adventures and dungeons and close scrapes and dangerous experiments- all to fill those spellbooks with knowledge, knowledge I’ve won at bitter cost.” Marisa’s a bit shorter then you, and she’s staring up at you with wide eyes.

“Other men my age, they’ve got wives, they’ve got families. But I? I’ve got those spellbooks. So do not fuck around with my shit.”

There’s a few long moments of silence. Not even the squirrels are scurrying.

You sigh, and turn back to the cottage, making sure not to look Keine in the eye. “I came here for my spellbooks,” you say softly. “Just for my spellbooks. That’s all. But you had better let me into your house to get them, Marisa, because if you don’t, all you’ll have is a crater.

And with that, you stomp back into Marisa’s domicile, with big, powerful strides. In the sitting room, you pick up the grimorie the witch dropped when you let yourself in, and a few minutes of searching turns up the other one, underneath a pile of paper slips with weird runes written on them.

Tucking your precious grimories into your magical pocket, you step out of the front door. “Cirno! Keine!” you shout in that bizarre tongue of theirs. “We’re leaving!”

“Wait!” Marisa peeks around the corner of the building, and steps out cautiously. She pulls her hat off, and kind of squeezes it in her hands. “Uh...”

“Uh, what? And talk normally, your Draconic could use some work.”

“I’m...” Marisa can’t quite meet your eyes. “I didn’t know. About your books.”

“You’re a witch and you didn’t know the value of a spellbook?”

“It’s not like that for me!” she protests angrily. “I learn a spell, I know it! I could barely make sense of your books; I didn’t know you needed them all the time! I borrow books from this other wizard all the time, she doesn’t suffer if they’re not at hand!”

“So?”

Marisa sighs, and torques her hat between her hands. “So, if I had known... I wouldn’t have taken them.”

“But all the wizards in town who don’t kick your ass for theft, they’re still fair game?”

“How the hell was I supposed to learn magic otherwise!?” Marisa shouts, flinging her hat into your face. “It’s not like it was easy for me either, asshole!” Marisa whirls, her dress flying, and thunders into her house. The effect is ruined somewhat by having no front door left to slam, though.

“Like I said,” Keine says, coming up behind you. “You two are a lot alike.”

Are you?

[ ] I’m not a thieving kleptomaniac liar, and I’ve got bigger fish to fry. Let’s bounce.
[ ] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.
[ ] You know... I kind of like her, a little. Still a lying thief with a serious attitude problem, but she’s a pragmatist, and a bold one at that. We really aren’t that diff
>> No. 124457
>>124396

I can tell you right now a single-update triumph over such a powerful character is highly unlikely, simply because this is a CYOA, and so anon should have some palpable control over events. And the entire point of this character, and this story, is to go against the grain of the 'average joe who somehow lasts longer then ten seconds while opposing the will of beings with nigh-godlike power.'

Also, the write-ins have been great.
>> No. 124459
[X] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.
>> No. 124463
Because nobody has said this yet...
>>124385
>With our wizard packing a contingent time-stop keyed to someone else stopping time.
You can't Contingency a Time Stop, not without the brokenness that is Craft Contingent Spell.

>>124456
[x] I like her, she's got more testicles than half of the idiots I've met. Girl needs to steal less (especially from me), but at least she apologized. Apologize for the front door and table.
--[x] Make an offhand comment about her chest size that you noticed from when you blasted her with Telekinesis.
---[x] Maybe offer to replace the table and/or door at a later date.
>> No. 124464
I said it once, and I'll say it again: This is Awesome.

[X] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.
>> No. 124465
[x ] You know... I kind of like her, a little. Still a lying thief with a serious attitude problem, but she’s a pragmatist, and a bold one at that. We really aren’t that different
>> No. 124466
[x] I like her, she's got more testicles than half of the idiots I've met. Girl needs to steal less (especially from me), but at least she apologized. Apologize for the front door and table.
--[x] Make an offhand comment about her chest size that you noticed from when you blasted her with Telekinesis.
---[x] Maybe offer to replace the table and/or door at a later date.

I love our abrasively lovable character. Let's keep being that way.
>> No. 124467
[ ] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.

Looking at Marisa's reaction in the last line, would she like to learn some Vancian magic, eh?

>And the entire point of this character, and this story, is to go against the grain of the 'average joe who somehow lasts longer then ten seconds while opposing the will of beings with nigh-godlike power.

Good to hear that.
>> No. 124468
[ ] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.
>> No. 124469
[x] I like her, she's got more testicles than half of the idiots I've met. Girl needs to steal less (especially from me), but at least she apologized. Apologize for the front door and table.
--[x] Make an offhand comment about her chest size that you noticed from when you blasted her with Telekinesis.
---[x] Maybe offer to replace the table and/or door at a later date.
>> No. 124470
[x] I like her, she's got more testicles than half of the idiots I've met. Girl needs to steal less (especially from me), but at least she apologized. Apologize for the front door and table.
--[x] Make an offhand comment about her chest size that you noticed from when you blasted her with Telekinesis.
---[x] Maybe offer to replace the table and/or door at a later date.

I don't think she'll take kindly to perversions, considering her reaction to Aya from back in her father's shop. At some point, she might even make the connection to Mr. Wizard peeping under her dress, even if he didn't actually do that for that specific purpose. But hey, that makes the conflict that much sweeter.
>> No. 124471
Also

>she's got more testicles than half of the idiots I've met

We've only actually met two people before now, so is this also a subliminal insult at Cirno? Can't wait for her to realize the same.
>> No. 124472
>>124471
He could mean the idiots he met before dropping in Gensokyo.
>> No. 124474
[x] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.

Love this story so much.
>> No. 124476
[x] I like her, she's got more testicles than half of the idiots I've met. Girl needs to steal less (especially from me), but at least she apologized. Apologize for the front door and table.
--[x] Make an offhand comment about her chest size that you noticed from when you blasted her with Telekinesis.
---[x] Maybe offer to replace the table and/or door at a later date.
>> No. 124477
I take back my vote and go for this one, making some comment about someone's chest is too good to let it pass! Can I?

[x] I like her, she's got more testicles than half of the idiots I've met. Girl needs to steal less (especially from me), but at least she apologized. Apologize for the front door and table.
--[x] Make an offhand comment about her chest size that you noticed from when you blasted her with Telekinesis.
---[x] Maybe offer to replace the table and/or door at a later date.
>> No. 124478
>Other men my age, they’ve got wives, they’ve got families. But I? I’ve got those spellbooks.
I love self irony.

[x] I like her, she's got more testicles than half of the idiots I've met. Girl needs to steal less (especially from me), but at least she apologized. Apologize for the front door and table.
--[x] Make an offhand comment about her chest size that you noticed from when you blasted her with Telekinesis.
---[x] Maybe offer to replace the table and/or door at a later date.

Gain Party member.
>> No. 124481
[x] You know... I kind of like her, a little. Still a lying thief with a serious attitude problem, but she’s a pragmatist, and a bold one at that. We really aren’t that different

Seriously, right now walking back in is just asking for another fight.
We can apologize for the door and wall the next time we run into her.
>> No. 124486
>>124481
I dunno about that, it should be obvious to both parties it was just a fundamental misunderstanding about how important the books were.
Not to mention that to her it probably just seemed like looting the wreckage of a ship who's owner was probably already dead.

[x] I like her, she's got more testicles than half of the idiots I've met. Girl needs to steal less (especially from me), but at least she apologized. Apologize for the front door and table.
--[x] Make an offhand comment about her chest size that you noticed from when you blasted her with Telekinesis.
---[x] Maybe offer to replace the table and/or door at a later date.
>> No. 124491
[x] You know... I kind of like her, a little. Still a lying thief with a serious attitude problem, but she’s a pragmatist, and a bold one at that. We really aren’t that different
I prefer this option.
>> No. 124493
[x] You know... I kind of like her, a little. Still a lying thief with a serious attitude problem, but she’s a pragmatist, and a bold one at that. We really aren’t that different.
>> No. 124496
[x] I like her, she's got more testicles than half of the idiots I've met. Girl needs to steal less (especially from me), but at least she apologized. Apologize for the front door and table.
--[x] Make an offhand comment about her chest size that you noticed from when you blasted her with Telekinesis.
---[x] Maybe offer to replace the table and/or door at a later date.
>> No. 124498
[x] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.

Well apparently nobody wants to hate her. And I say after all that, we can't just suddenly like her either.
>> No. 124500
>>124498
>Well apparently nobody wants to hate her. And I say after all that, we can't just suddenly like her either.

I guess that the fact she don't get the vancian style should be enough to coool down Wiard MC's earlier rage.
>> No. 124501
[x] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.
>> No. 124502
[x] I like her, she's got more testicles than half of the idiots I've met. Girl needs to steal less (especially from me), but at least she apologized. Apologize for the front door and table.
--[x] Make an offhand comment about her chest size that you noticed from when you blasted her with Telekinesis.
---[x] Maybe offer to replace the table and/or door at a later date.
>> No. 124504
[ ] I’m not a thieving kleptomaniac liar, and I’ve got bigger fish to fry. Let’s bounce.
>> No. 124506
[x] I’m not a thieving kleptomaniac liar, and I’ve got bigger fish to fry. Let’s bounce.
The vote says it all. Marisa is an hypocritical douche. Let's bounce, indeed.
>> No. 124507
[x] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.

This works. Maybe we could ask about the hakkero, and fall into another fit of RAGE at the lack of daily usage limits of Master Spark.
>> No. 124508
[x] You know... I kind of like her, a little. Still a lying thief with a serious attitude problem, but she’s a pragmatist, and a bold one at that. We really aren’t that different.
>> No. 124510
[X] I'm not a th[etc.]

Sorry. I'd type out the whole thing, but I still can't figure out how to copy text with this smartphone thing.
>> No. 124511
[x] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.

Yeah.
>> No. 124519
[x] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.
>> No. 124522
[X] I’m not a thieving kleptomaniac liar, and I’ve got bigger fish to fry. Let’s bounce.

She... she never picked up her hat after throwing it at you.

SHE IS OBVIOUSLY POWERLESS WITHOUT THE HAT TAKE IT AND RUN
>> No. 124524
File 128623874521.jpg - (119.61KB , 437x640 , marisaholdhatscared.jpg ) [iqdb]
124524
>>124522
>I’m not a thieving kleptomaniac liar
>STEAL HER HAT
>> No. 124526
[x] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.

This option. It calls to me.
>> No. 124528
[x] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.

--[x] Maybe offer to replace the table and/or door at a later date... minus the later date part. Do it ASAP.

Seriously, once we get a chance to prepare some spells this sort of shit would be no problem for us, and would be a good chance to impress Marisa with our non-combat abilities (maybe make her have a change of heart?)

If we just need to give her temporary lodgings:
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Secure_Shelter
or even
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Mage%27s_Magnificent_Mansion

We should have at least one of these...

As for the actual repairs I'm not aware of any spells that would fit this situation besides the catch-all Wish. Personally I think Marisa is worth the XP cost, but that's just me.
>> No. 124529
>>124528
>Wish
Forgot the mention the "Limited" part of that "Wish". Only 300 XP, and I think that making some repairs to a house is in line with its level of power.


Ahhh, I'm getting too excited over this because there are so many cool and obscure utility spells in 3.5 that I've never gotten to use... My DM usually ran Hack n' Slash campaigns.
>> No. 124530
>>124528

YOu know what I hate? The way they went through and got rid of all the 'Mordenkainen's' Or 'Rary's' or 'Leomund's' in the spell names.

It really bugs me.
>> No. 124533
>>124530
I guess they did that to make it setting-neutral (E.G. the DM is supposed to come up with a mage name).

Although in the last thread:
>“How about Tenser’s Fighting Transformation, bitch.”
So Demetrious seems to be a cool enough dude to use the original names! So with all hope any Magnificent Mansions we summon will be Mordenkainen's.
>> No. 124540
Ok, someone please, please explain to me why the fuck are people voting to be nice to Marisa, of all people? After all the rage and just actions, now you want to apologize, even if in an indirect way? Offering to fix her things? Be nice to her? After she stole the most important things the MC has in his life, instead of working hard to earn it?? While he had to slay monsters and sacrifice aspects of lid emost people would never give up, all she does is to steal and copy the work of others! and you guys want to be 'nice' to her?

What the fuck.
>> No. 124543
[ ] I’m not a thieving kleptomaniac liar, and I’ve got bigger fish to fry. Let’s bounce.

Yeah, if someone here has to apologize, it's Marisa, not the MC. He only protected the treasures of his life.
>> No. 124544
>>124540

QUOTED FOR MO'FUGGIN TRUTH.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! THE MC HAS HAD IT WITH THIS MOTHERFUCKING MARISA STEALING HIS MOTHERFUCKING SPELLBOOKS.
>> No. 124545
>>124540
Sympathy for a fellow magician, anonymous returning to his White Knight roots, wanting the additional party member.
>> No. 124547
[x] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.
>> No. 124550
>>124540
>>124545
I'm in it for the apprenticing prospect. We could eventually go far enough to lead an army of touhoes schooled in our style of wizardry, considering how a single mage with a current focus on "dakka" won't be able to manage that much on his own. And I'd like to avoid any sort of prolonged and direct conflict, to the point that I can see ourselves settling down in our hidden Magnificent Mansion to establish an actual school for the arcane arts.

I know the story likely won't swing in that direction, what with Anon's generally bloodthirsty instincts during the instances that we might actually have the power to act on them. But I will keep pushing for it anyway.
>> No. 124554
>>124540
Look, the way I see it, we got our shit back in one piece without an ocean of bullshit to wade through, and quite frankly Marisa doesn't warrant revenge or permanent hate. We also don't need to be making enemies left and right. When it's go time, it'll be so fucking go time reality turns green, but when it ain't go time, we don't need to force go time. We're already in a hatty lunatic asylum, best we can do is make allies, regardless of the general god-tier-ness of the 3.5e Wizard played intelligently.

I doubt a Rope Trick or Mordenkainen's Magnificent Motherfucking Mansion will save us too much if we piss off some of the more big-leaguers.
>> No. 124556
[x] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.
>> No. 124557
>>124550
I don't know about an army, but I think Marisa could make a decent apprentice. Who knows, Vancian magic might be good for her with its subtlety.

Besides that, quite a few stories have the obligatory "MC learns danmaku and/or magic and gains realizes some sort of hidden potential" sequences in them. Screw that, we're a goddamn wizard already. Maybe its time for the Touhous to learn a thing or two.
>> No. 124558
[x] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.
-[x] Don't apologize. We're even.

She stole his books and got her ass kicked, he got his books back and she won't be doing that again. Why keep holding a grudge? We've got nothing to apologize for, though, that's just stupid and inconsistent.
>> No. 124559
>>124540
She didn't know the importance of what she stole. She thought what she did would be a minor annoyance instead of something critical.

While that doesn't justify her actions, it certainly means that it doesn't warrant making an enemy of her forever.
>> No. 124560
>>124557
>"I learn a spell, I know it!"

Spontaneous caster right there. Caster multiclassing? Not a good idea. Mechanically, she'd be better off continuing in whatever class she was under. Yeah, handwavium, etc, but I'm just sayin'.

Also:

>Magnificent Mansion
Would last just over a single day. Not a long-term solution. Same with Rope Trick.
>Limited Wish
We're not made of XP.

Wall of Stone / Transmute Mud to Rock + Stoneshape is the way to go here.
>> No. 124561
>>124560
Alternatively, and simpler, Polymorph Any Object a rock into a house.
>> No. 124563
>>124560
We teach her how to be a wizard and then she takes Ultimate Magus. Arcane/arcane dual progression. Will let her get support magic from the wizard spell list without slowing down her Ordinary Magician spellcasting or whatever too much. Ultimate Magus isn't even that hard to qualify for.
>> No. 124566
>>124560
The Magnificent Mansion was just a temporary idea until we get her placed fixed. And to impress her, maybe.

>We're not made of XP.
Limited wish only takes like 300 XP. We're around level 17, right? That's like 130000 XP right there, so yes, yes we are made of XP.
>> No. 124568
>>124566
>until we get her placed fixed
Both the temporary and permanent solution takes a single hour of prep time.

>Limited wish only takes like 300 XP.
even so, why expend XP and a spell slot when a spell slot will suffice?
>> No. 124569
[x] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.
-[x] Don't apologize. We're even.

Let's put aside the grudge without losing our dignity. We can sort things with her later.
>> No. 124574
>>124540

I could guess that one of the reasons the wizard got so mad was the possibility (emphasize on it) that Marisa could steal the spells he learnt and copied in his spellbook. But Marisa could not figure out how it worked.

>I could barely make sense of your books

So, that's one less reason to be mad.
>> No. 124576
>>124563
>We teach her how to be a wizard and then she takes Ultimate Magus.
No. Just, no.
>> No. 124580
>>124576
I agree. UM is made of ass and fail.

Also, Ordinary Magician has a 4e-style Epic Destiny that grants immortality. Worth taking all the way to the end, certainly.
>> No. 124583
Now, now - ultimate magus can be made to work with certain shenanigans. Beguiler and practiced spellcaster let you advance wizard at nearly all levels and keep int as a casting stat.

Actually a pretty solid build all around with some nice perks.
>> No. 124584
>>124583
you are at all times at least a full two character levels level and one spell level behind an equivalent wizard. All you get for it is more low-level spells which probably won't see much use in combat. Plus you get screwed out of free metamagics. Not a worthwhile tradeoff.
>> No. 124585
>>124583
I don't think so, buddy. I've never been fond of the Beguiler -> Practiced Spellcaster -> Ultimate Magus trick, just doesn't seem worth it one itty fucking bit.
>> No. 124598
File 128629793694.jpg - (229.10KB , 1501x490 , 1285078569032.jpg ) [iqdb]
124598
>>124544
>>124540

*snicker*
>> No. 124599
Is 'Spellcasting prodigy ' a real feat or just made up for NWN?
>> No. 124606
[x] "Maybe that's what pisses me off the most."
>> No. 124615
So, is this the new GH?
>> No. 124616
>>124615

>So, is this the new GH?

.... uh, educate a newfag... what was GH? What do you mean by that?
>> No. 124617
>>124616
A popular story. That is, literally, all that GH has in common with this CYOA.
>> No. 124624
>>124616
I think it has something to do with how much pure discussion there is between updates. Just look at all of the intelligent nerdy posts that we have on this thread, and how it's already a two thirds of the way to autosage after just three story updates. That's a lot of activity, and thus readership, concentrated in just one thread, and we haven't seen this sort of thing in a good long while.
>> No. 124625
>>124599
IIRC it is an actual feat.
>> No. 124628
>>124615
Good god, I hope not.
>> No. 124629
>>124624
I think its popular for different reasons than GH. For one, its Dungeons and Dragons. Its like the nerd Qur'an.

Besides that there is kind of a dry spot of frequently updated stories -- especially one that is somewhat serious.
>> No. 124630
>>124624
Just waiting for the, inevitable, shitstorm to start that will ruin everything.
>> No. 124639
>>124630
Maybe we should start a separate discussion thread and forbid Demetrious from reading it.
>> No. 124640
>>124630
shitstorms didn't kill GH, lack of updates did.
>> No. 124641
>>124640
Allowing anon to be indecisive to the point of paralysis killed it. Should've routelocked that shit and either cut down on all the sidequests or allowed time for all of them.

Blaming lack of updates for "killing" it is like saying someone died from a lack of heartbeat.
>> No. 124642
>>124640
lolno
Flanfags killed GH. But let's all drop it now, i don't want to fag up this story.
>> No. 124645
>>124640
lolno
Anti-Flanfags killed GH. But let's all drop it now, i don't want to fag up this story
>> No. 124646
>>124598

How does that image applies to the second quoted post?
>> No. 124647
>>124646
The one ranting and raving about how we shouldn't have forgiven Marisa and that the rage was justified?
>> No. 124654
>>124645
But I can already see it forming. Pro and anti marisafags, oh no.
>> No. 124658
>>124654
Not really; the anti-marisa crowd is in the minority; most likely grimdorks at that.
>> No. 124662
Patchouli, only, route, etc.
>> No. 124666
File 12863437205.gif - (19.25KB , 385x360 , the moral is.gif ) [iqdb]
124666
[X] She’s not so bad; I’ve had to take risks to get as far as I have, too- and she didn’t know about my kind of magic. Even if she didn’t actually apologize, maybe I should smooth things over with her before I go.

[X] ... but she didn't actually apologize, now, did she?



“Like I said,” Keine says, coming up behind you. “You two are a lot alike.”

“In more ways then you might think,” you muse. “Earlier, when you were telling me about Gensokyo, you said she was self taught, right?”

“That I did.”

“Hmm,” you muse. “Perhaps we are... any successful mage has to have some ambition. There’s plenty of wizards who’ve studied in famous libraries all their lives and never surpassed the fourth rank. The best way to learn casting without materiel components is to drop 'em when a manticore is chasing your ass."

“Well, she’s got ambition, all right,” Keine says. “Most of her techniques were blatantly ripped off from others.”

“Where I come from,” you say pointedly, “people who re-invent the wheel are called idiots.” You bend over and pick up Marisa’s hat. Brushing it off a bit, you take a step towards the door.

“Where are you going?” Keine asks, surprised.

“I’m just going to smooth things over with her,” you reply. “She does have a point, actually.”

“Hey,” Keine says, catching you by the arm. “Don’t feel you need to be diplomatic all of a sudden because I was stressing manners earlier. That was partially because, uh-”

“-you expected her to kick my ass, not the other way around?” you posit, amused.

“I didn’t say that,” Keine objects weakly, “but I didn’t expect... that.” She smiles again with the amusement she betrayed earlier. “Truth is, Marisa’s pretty confident in her ability to throw her weight around. It’s good for her to feel the other end of it for once.”

“It’s always better to give,” you say solemnly. “But relax, I’m not going to bake her a cake or anything.”

“If you say so,” Keine says, and releases your arm. You enter the cottage once again, gingerly stepping around the debris of the front door and the foyer furniture, and find Marisa pouting at her sitting room table, resting her cheek on her hand.

“Fuck off,” she mutters wearily.

“Forgot your hat,” you say, coming up behind her and gently dropping it onto her head. She just sighs and continues staring at the smoldering fire in the hearth.

“Just wanted to say, you were right, out there.”

“... what?” Marisa turns in her chair to look at you, tilting the wide brim of her hat out of the way.

“You couldn’t have learned magic any other way. There’s no magic academy in this ‘burg, last I checked, and apparently you forgot to get in line when they were handing out ludicrous bullshit superpowers for free.”

“Didn’t you hear?” Marisa mutters bitterly. “I don’t do any work, I just rip off everything.”

“Yeah, I heard,” you say, sighing and leaning against a heavily-laden bookcase. Half again as many tomes are stacked haphazardly around the room. “As if swiping a spellbook automagically grants you the ability to read it, much less warp reality with your mind.” You shake your head. “See, I understand that. Because we’ve got that much in common, at least.”

Marisa cocks her head. “What do you mean?”

“We both worked for our power.”

Marisa regards you for a long moment. “... yeah, we did,” she says, and the hint of a smile tugs at the corners of her mouth.

“Well... Keine and Cirno are waiting for me,” you say, and Marisa nods. You quit the room, heading for the door, but you pause on the threshold. Looking back, you see Marisa watching you from the other side of the foyer.

“Forgot to say...” you drawl searchingly. “There is one more thing we’ve got in common.”

Marisa leans in a bit, curious. “Really?”

“We’ve both got flat chests.”

Reflexes honed by years of fighting monstrous humanoids with instructions to “shoot the mouthy asshole in the robes first” allows you to dodge the projectile, a silver metal box with slots on the top and a long cord trailing behind. It impacts a tree behind you with impressive force.

“ASSHOLE!”

You nimbly sprint from the cottage until you’re a safe distance into the woods. Keine and Cirno catch up with you a few seconds later.

“Just... couldn’t... help... yourself... could you?” Keine says, panting for breath.

Keeping your eyes firmly locked a safe distance above her heaving bosom, you shake your head slowly. “I’ll have you know, I was keeping in practice.”

“That’s going to be a hard sell,” Keine says skeptically, as your trio beings walking out of the forest.

“The ability to deliver a good one-liner is essential,” you say, mimicking her solemn academic air. "Most evil in the world is common, petty, run-of-the-mill cruelty, but true villains, the kind who form evil cults and plot dastardly crimes- they’re pricks. And a prick is generally defined by the extreme inverse relationship between his ego and his significance. Ergo, a well-placed one-liner can send them into paroxysms of incompetent rage.”

Keine nods seriously, stroking her chin as if absorbing the lesson. “He who fights pricks should beware, lest he becomes a prick.”

You deftly swipe your hat off your head and bop Keine with it. “Smartass.”

She giggles, pleased with herself. “ Blame yourself! You’re having a deleterious effect on me!”

“Hmmph,” you return with mock umbrage, and reach into your enchanted pocket, taking out a book. “Hope you don’t mind if I read while we walk.”

“Not at all,” Keine says absently, enjoying the scenery. You wonder how often she gets out of the village. Cracking open the book, you begin to page through it.

“... wait,” Keine says, catching sight of the binding. “That doesn’t look like your spellbooks...”

“Probably because it’s not,” you say casually.

“You stole Marisa’s spellbook!?

“Might just be her cookbook,” you say airily. “I’ll have to read it a bit, first.”

Keine stops dead in her tracks, staring at you in shock. “But... after all that hate you slathered on Marisa for being a thief-”

“AHEM!” you say sharply, wagging a finger at her. “It’s called ‘borrowing.’ Marisa said so herself.”

“And all that about ‘my life’s work?’”

“You heard her- when she learns a spell, she knows it,” you return smoothly. “Besides, it probably isn’t hers anyways.”

“... actually, it isn’t,” Keine says, leaning forward to squint at the binding. “Not sure who’s it is, though.” She straightens up. “Anyways... we’ve got your spellbooks back, and then some. What now?”

You think a moment. “Well...” you pause, feeling a tugging on your robe. Looking down, you see a fairly pissed off ice fairy.

“I can’t understand you guys,” Cirno says mournfully. “You just talk to each other all day.”

“Sorry, Cirno. Tomorrow I’ll be able to-”

“Oh come on!” Cirno wails, stomping her foot. “You both speak dragon, and I don’t.”

You look at her blankly. “So....?”

“So give me the hat, dummy!”

You blink. “Good point.” You reach into your pocket, and withdraw Keine’s spare hat. Cirno snatches it from your hands, and jams it onto her head with finality. The hat, large to begin with, is huge on her. It’s simultaneously ridiculous and adorable.

Don’t laugh.” Cirno grows with all the gravity she can muster.

“No ma’am.” You about-face and bite your lip, hard.

“So,” Keine begins again, examining the treetops to hide her grin, “what do you want to do now? We could still make it home in time for a late lunch, then we’ve got the rest of the afternoon.”

“It’s going to take us most of the afternoon just to haul his dumb box back,” Cirno observes dourly. “He’s got more junk in it.”

“Oh,” Keine says. “I didn’t think about that.”

“Don’t worry about that,” you say mysteriously. “The chest will come to us. Anyway...”



[ ] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane.
[ ] “I can study later. I was thinking I could take you two out to lunch, in town. Someplace good.”
[ ] “Study later. I can provide lunch, though it won’t be anything fancy. I’d like to avoid town for a while, and see more of Gensokyo. Let’s stay afield.”
>> No. 124669
Whoo hoo, update!
>> No. 124670
[x] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane.

For some reason, I'm always figuring the mage with some kind of Nazgul's gloves.
>> No. 124671
>Marisa regards you for a long moment. “... yeah, we did,” she says, and the hint of a smile tugs at the corners of her mouth.

Relationship status: Smoothed.

>“We’ve both got flat chests.”

SMOOTHED AS FUCK


>“I can study later. I was thinking I could take you two out to lunch, in town. Someplace good.”

Not voting this, but when did we get money?


[x] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane. But like, have lunch with Keine and Cirno once you get there, don't go trudging off to your room immediately.

As enticing as opportunities for Random Encounters are, we should really hold off until we get a chance to prepare some spells tomorrow. STUDYSTUDYSTUDYSTUDYSTUDYSTUDY
>> No. 124674
[x] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane. But like, have lunch with Keine and Cirno once you get there, don't go trudging off to your room immediately.
>> No. 124677
[x] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane. But like, have lunch with Keine and Cirno once you get there, don't go trudging off to your room immediately.

We're almost out of spells, and yet we remain a large and squishy bag of xp and phat lewt. I advocate hiding like a little girl.
>> No. 124678
>>124671
gold is an universal currency, and I'm sure the well-prepared wizard has some gold pieces tucked away in his box.
>> No. 124679
[X] “Study later. I can provide lunch, though it won’t be anything fancy. I’d like to avoid town for a while, and see more of Gensokyo. Let’s stay afield.”

I think we've still got enough spells for one encounter.
>> No. 124681
[x] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane." But like, have lunch with Keine and Cirno once you get there, don't go trudging off to your room immediately.

>>124670
>For some reason, I'm always figuring the mage with some kind of Nazgul's gloves.
This, ever since those gauntlets were mentioned the image has stuck in my head.
>> No. 124693
[x] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane." But like, have lunch with Keine and Cirno once you get there, don't go trudging off to your room immediately.
>> No. 124694
[x] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane." But like, have lunch with Keine and Cirno once you get there, don't go trudging off to your room immediately.

As others have said better to kick back and prepare fully before venturing forth again.
>> No. 124695
[x]>>124674
>> No. 124696
[x] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane. But like, have lunch with Keine and Cirno once you get there, don't go trudging off to your room immediately.
>> No. 124700
[x] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane. But like, have lunch with Keine and Cirno once you get there, don't go trudging off to your room immediately.
>> No. 124701
[x] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane. But like, have lunch with Keine and Cirno once you get there, don't go trudging off to your room immediately.
>> No. 124706
[X] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane.

Happy family with Cirno and Keine route is goooooooooo
>> No. 124710
[x] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane.

>people who re-invent the wheel are called idiot
"Hey guys, I've created a new spell to put people on fire!"
>“You couldn’t have learned magic any other way. There’s no magic academy in this ‘burg, last I checked, and apparently you forgot to get in line when they were handing out ludicrous bullshit superpowers for free.”
lol'd. That was some good dialog you put in there. Nice.
>> No. 124711
[X] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane. But like, have lunch with Keine and Cirno once you get there, don't go trudging off to your room immediately.

>>124706
I can get behind that.
>> No. 124712
>“You couldn’t have learned magic any other way. There’s no magic academy in this ‘burg, last I checked, and apparently you forgot to get in line when they were handing out ludicrous bullshit superpowers for free.”

How true though, Youmu's in a similar boat.
>> No. 124714
>>124712
not so. half-ghost template is at least +2 ECL.
>> No. 124721
Love it when a raw write-ins turned into gold by its writer.
>> No. 124723
[x] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane.
>>124711
And I can get behind that
>> No. 124724
[X] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane.

I absolutely love how Keine quickly learn to play along Wizard MC's snark.
>> No. 124728
[x] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane." But like, have lunch with Keine and Cirno once you get there, don't go trudging off to your room immediately.

This works, and the update was awesome. I wonder what we'll find out from the book, and how we'll react to knews of danmaku.
>> No. 124729
[x] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane." But like, have lunch with Keine and Cirno once you get there, don't go trudging off to your room immediately.
>> No. 124741
[x] "Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane."
[x] But like, have lunch with Keine and Cirno once you get there, don't go trudging off to your room immediately.
>> No. 124742
File 128640747039.png - (44.83KB , 300x300 , cirnohat.png ) [iqdb]
124742
>>124666
>> No. 124745
>>124742
Brilliant.
>> No. 124746
[X] “Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to study this book, get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane.

Discretion is the better part of getting ready to kick everyone's ass.
>> No. 124753
I found this old excerpt of a splatbook on uses for Prestidigitation:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010707

So many possibilities for pranking Cirno helping the residents of Gensokyo.
>> No. 124756
>>124753

I say we include at least one write-in usage of Prestidigitation per vote, or hope Demetrious puts one in.
>> No. 124758
>>124742

This absolutely made my day. As they say in the vernacular, "fukkin saved."

>>124756

I actually wrote the update before seeing this. I like this idea.
>> No. 124759
File 128643643122.png - (161.87KB , 850x850 , sample_2fdfda6afd42463c9a8176cd0e8c49ba18a835bd.png ) [iqdb]
124759
[X] Enough adventure for one day. Let’s go home, I’d like to get a handle on how magic works in this whackass plane, post-haste.”



“.... enough adventure for one day.” You tap the tome you purloined from Marisa’s bookshelf. “I’d like to study these as soon as possible; get a handle on how magic works in this place.”

Keine quirks an eyebrow. “These?

You produce another book from your pocket. “These.”

Keine shakes her head in mild disbelief. “I think I’m going to count the silverware when I get home.”

You rub the back of your head awkwardly, and produce the fork Keine gave you at breakfast. “Thought I might need it if we ate out. Not sure how to work those stick-things.”

Keine favors you with a truly indecipherable expression for a long moment, then shakes her head briskly. “Let’s head home.”


***

You arrive safely, after an uneventful flight. Keine leads you back into her small home, leaving you and Cirno in the main room while she enters the kitchen.

“Sure you don’t want me to help?” you ask.

“I don’t need any help for sandwiches,” Keine says, “and I wasn’t slapping around a powerful witch with her own laboratory tables all day. Keep Cirno company.”

You slowly turn and eye Cirno, who’s giving you a piqued look from underneath Keine’s oversized hat.

“Uh, yeah,” you reply cautiously.

Pulling one of your purloined tomes from your pocket, you get ready to sit down, get comfortable, and study- and realize anew that Keine’s house has no chairs.

“Balls to that,” you mutter, dropping the book and pulling out one of your own spellbooks. Kneeling awkwardly on the mat, you place the book on the table and briskly page through it. Cirno watches you intently as you locate the spell you want and proceed to prepare it, the whispered words of magic holding her in a fascinated thrall. Finished, you locate another spell, one at the front of the old tome, one you can almost, but not quite, prepare from memory.

Closing the book, you slip it into your pocket, and you’re just finishing the pre-casting of Read Magic from memory when Keine comes in from the kitchen, bearing a heavily-laden tray of sandwiches and sides.

“Working more of that strange magic of yours?” she asks, setting the tray on the table and kneeling across from you.

“Indeed,” you say, reaching for a sandwich. “Something to help me decipher my borrowed texts.”

“Sorry I don’t have any condiments,” Keine apologizes. “I usually don’t have sandwiches myself.”

“No problem,” you say. “What kind do you usually prefer?”

“That tomato paste stuff they sell at the market, actually.”

“Uh, ketchup?”

“If that’s what you call it...”

“Gimme,” you say, gesturing at Keine’s sandwich. Giving you a puzzled look, she hands it to you. Gingerly picking it up, you focus and speak a single word of magic.

“Skadoosh,” you say formally, and hand it back to her. “Now try it.”

Giving you another odd look, Keine bites into it. “It tastes like-!”

“Mmmhmm,” you say. “How about you, Cirno?”

“Relish!” she says with relish.

Taking her sandwich from her, you repeat the process. “Skadoosh.” You hand it back.

“It worked!” Cirno declares happy, digging in. You turn to your own sandwich- ham on rye, apparently. It goes down quickly. You’ve got quite an appetite, which is unusual for you following near-death experiences. Of course, beating the hell out of the person who gave you that near-death experience might have put the wind back in your sails.

“So what do you call that spell?” Keine asks you after you’ve all finished.

“Prestidigitation. Well, that’s a blanket term really, for any minor spell of that sort. Little tricks mages use at the academy to practice their skills. It can do a few other things. It’s probably the only reason loremasters occasionally wear clean robes.”

Just then, there’s a knocking on the door. Well, more like a kicking, because the ponderous thump thump comes from near the bottom.

“I’ll get it!” Cirno says, leaping to her feet and running to the door, stabilizing her hat with one hand. Grabbing the knob, she slides the thin wooden panel open-

-and promptly shrieks, falling on her rear and scurrying backwards.

“What is... the hell...” Keine says.

With a placid, unhurried pace, your chest strolls into the room on about two-dozen little feet. It ambles straight up to you, and gently settles down next to you, the feet disappearing as if they’d never existed.

“Ta-daaaah!” you state exaggeratedly, patting the chest.

“Is it... alive?” Cirno asks apprehensively from the corner.

“It’s not sentient,” you assure her. “Just make sure to feed it on time, okay? Or it gets upset.”

Cirno’s face blanches.

“Hey!” Keine says, leaning over the table and gently bopping you on the head. “I’m a schoolteacher, mister, I can smell bullshit a mile away.”

You just grin at her, and turn back to the fairy. “It’s just a simple animated object, Cirno. Can’t hurt you.”

“Why didn’t you just make it walk here?” Cirno demands, getting her composure back a bit. “Why did we have to go find it?”

“It’s got to be attenuated to the owner,” you explain, “and I’d been on a separate plane of existence for over a year.” Rising from your kneeling position (with much creaking of abused knees,) and walk over to where one of Keine’s spare sleeping pads is rolled up. You pick it up, and cast the Polymorph Any Object spell you prepared earlier. Within a few seconds, the pad has become a fully-made Western-style bed.

“Aaah,” you say, jumping into it and reclining with relish. “I’m used to chairs, and things. The spirit is willing but the knees are weak, master.”

You roll over languidly, and find Cirno resting her chin on the edge of the bed, regarding you skeptically from underneath her new hat.

“Man, you’re weird,” she says. “Most magic is like- badoom!” She waves her arms about by way of illustration. “Like, danmaku, danmaku everywhere!”

“She’s right,” Keine says as she walks over and sits on the bed, bouncing once to test it’s solidity. “This is... I mean, most magic in Gensokyo throws around powerful energies quite causally, but flavoring food... or turning one thing into something else like this... I can’t think of many comparable uses of magic, here.”

“No kidding?” you say, sitting up. “Wait till you see a few conjuration spells, then.”

“I’m not sure I want to,” Keine says softy. “You...” she pauses. “You’re full of surprises.”

What’s that all about? you wonder.

“Anyways, I should put away the dishes. I’ll let you alone to study a bit.” Keine stands and begins stacking the lunch debris onto the tray.

Reclining on your new bed, you pull out one of the stolen books, and begin to study.

***

This is going to be a longer update, and it’s 3:30 AM here, so I’m breaking it into two parts, next half tomorrow morning, and another regular voting update that night. However, you may still wish to ask for:

[ ] Inventory?
[ ] Would you like your possessions Identified (Y/N)?
>> No. 124761
[ ] Inventory
[ ] Would you like your possessions Identified (Y/N)? Y
>> No. 124763
>“Relish!” she says with relish.
ಠ_ಠ I approve.

>“I’m not sure I want to,” Keine says softy.
New plan: If we get into a conflict with any Touhous we simply intimidate them with our noncombat spells.

Seriously though, thanks for the update, I always look forward to reading this CYOA. Oh, and

[Y] Inventory?
[Y] Would you like your possessions Identified
>> No. 124764
>>124759
>second most powerful spell in your arsenal
>waste it on making a bed

Well let's hope there are no more encounters for the day. lol jinxed

[x] Inventory?
[x] Would you like your possessions Identified (Y)

On the subject of Polymorph Any Object, a piece of trivia: Unlike other spells of the Polymorph line, PAO can modify a creature's intelligence permanently.

Now, White Ethergaunt from Fiend Folio* is a Medium sized, humanoid Aberration with 11 HD, an Int score of 27, and better-than-human physical stats. Since it is Same Kingdom(+5), Same Class(+2) and Same Size(+2), an enterprising wizard could PAO himself into one permanently, gaining the mother of all stat boosts and a shitload of bonus spells. If said wizard also have the Assume Supernatural Ability feat from Savage Species*, he could even use its innate Enslave ability which is the same as Dominate Monster, 3 times a day.

I have a theoretical arcane/divine dualcasting Wizard/Mindbender/Ur-priest/Mystic Theurge build that uses this trick to avoid MAD.

*: Yes, these are 3e books, but WotC released 3.5e errata for them, so they're 3.5e legal.
>> No. 124767
[x] Inventory
[x] Would you like your possessions Identified (Y/N)? Y
>> No. 124772
[x] Inventory
[x] Would you like your possessions Identified (Y/N)? Y

>>124764
What's the point of having power if we're too scared to use it?
However, I sure hope he learned how to trance like an elf or something. That will sure come in handy later on.
>> No. 124774
[x] Inventory
[ ] Would you like your possessions Identified (Y/N)?

I've never played DnD before, which is what's been keeping me from voting so far, but don't tell me no one here recognises the death quote from Nethack. It could be an innocent option, but playing Nethack makes one paranoid as hell. Just saying.
>> No. 124776
>>124772
a prudent wizard learns to end the day with a few tricks left up his sleeves. The adventuring day doesn't always end when you want it to. Night raids are almost obligatory.
>> No. 124777
[Y] Inventory?
[Y] Would you like your possessions Identified
>> No. 124778
File 12864585964.jpg - (52.45KB , 400x400 , 1284605919350.jpg ) [iqdb]
124778
>>124774

Nah, I wouldn't do that to you guys... would I?

>>124776

That's what dual-wand-wielder is for~
>> No. 124780
[x] Inventory
[x] Would you like your possessions Identified (Y/N)? Y

Worst come to worst we can just retreat into a magnificent mansion or rope trick or something. What kind of wizard doesn't prepare a cheesy spell that lets you safely rest anywhere?
Sure, someone like Yukari could probably get around it, but if Yukari randomly decides to kill us we have bigger problems. For one, Yukari probably can get her hands on copies of the DnD sourcebooks.
>> No. 124781
>>124780

And immediately try to kill the MC before he manages to get into Earth proper, find the internet, and get some grognards to help him optimize the shit out of himself.
>> No. 124782
[x] Inventory?
[x] Would you like your possessions Identified (N)
>> No. 124796
>>124778
This face is creeping me out.
No votes from me this time, Demetrious.
>> No. 124797
[X] Inventory
[ ] Would you like your possessions Identified (Y/N)?

>>124774
Seriously. I assumed we'd been bad-ended when I saw the latest votes before reading the update.
>> No. 124799
>>124797
Oh no, is Keine going to do us in?
>> No. 124801
>>124799
Don't even joke like that!
>> No. 124803
>>124801
Oh no, is Keine going to do us in?
>> No. 124804
File 128649102234.png - (85.13KB , 290x370 , stay frosty.png ) [iqdb]
124804
[X] Cont’d
[X] Would you like your possessions identified? (FUCK NO)


Several hours later, you toss the heavy tome onto the ground by your impromptu bed, and rub your head wearily.

“Sweet Pelor on a pogo stick,” you mutter.

The first book is written in a esoteric dialect of Draconic, one you’ve rarely encountered. A quick casting of Read Magic made the actual magical notation comprehensible, but not really sensible. Most of the spell notations are reminiscent of the evocation school, but some of the ‘spells’ seem to call on elemental energies you’ve never heard of. Most confusingly, there’s no “interruption” point near the end of the spell; you can’t be sure, but it seems the effect of the spell comes into being at the beginning, and you modulate it somehow as you continue casting.

The other grimorie was filled with loopy, sloppy script you assume to be Marisa’s, and mostly consists of various equations, recipes, and experiment results recorded in her amateur Draconic. Most of it seems like alchemy equations; which you’re intimately familiar with. You hazard a guess that the large pot of mushrooms you winged at Marisa’s head was the ingredient in question. Which is odd, because evocation magic shouldn't require reagents to generate power.

“What’cha dooin!?” asks a voice in Sylvan from underneath your bed.

You jump almost a good foot. “Dammit, Cirno, how’d you get under there without me seeing you?”

“Dunno,” she says, pulling herself out and flopping down on the foot of the bed. She’s got Keine’s heavy hat in her hands, idly turning it about. “Find out anything?”

“Kind of,” you say. “Far as I can see, the stuff in this book-” you indicate the one with the odd evocation-style magic- “seems to be a lot like.. well, psionics, actually.”

“Sai-honics?” Cirno repeats, puzzled.

“Yeah, you know, the power of your brainy-meats,” you say, tapping Cirno on the head. “Basically drawing on inner powers, instead of exterior ones. Some people call it Ki, or whatever. In any case, this book here details spells that can be actively manipulated while being cast; like somebody channeling Ki can, but it invokes power from the greater fabric of the universe, like arcane magic.”

Cirno gives you a truly blank look.

“Let me put it this way... this magic you can adjust, like water flow from a pump. My magic, I just kind of ‘trigger’ it. I push the button and away it goes.”

Cirno cocks her head, thinking. “So... what’s my magic like? I just kind of... do it.”

You nod. “Faries, you’ve got innate magic. It’s part of who you are. You cast like a sorcerer does, harnessing an innate talent for tapping arcane powers.”

Cirno looks a bit dejected. “So I can never learn your magic?”

“Actually...” you say slowly, “you might just.”

”Really?” The fairy leans toward you eagerly, supporting herself with her hands.

“Yeah, though there’s little reason for you to do so- you can probably use magic just fine already. But there are some advantages... it gives you a lot more control over a spell; its area, its effect, how quick it is to cast...”

“Will you teach me?” Cirno asks, eagerly.

“Well I don’t know how long I’ll be here,” you say apologetically, and her face falls.

“I wish you’d stay,” she says quietly.

“... Cirno, why are you hanging around with Keine and I, anyhow? A history teacher and a wizard don’t make for the kind of scintillating company that usually keeps a fairy’s attention, in my experience.”

Cirno shrugs, and looks down at the hat she’s playing with. “Dunno. Something to do.”

“What do you usually do?”

“Freeze frogs down by the lake.”

“And...?”

“Watch’em thaw.”

“That’s it?” you ask, surprised. “I thought you were a fairy queen? Aren’t you in charge of them, or something?”

“I guess,” Cirno says dismissively, “but they’re all dumb as poo.” She drops the hat and crosses her arms defiantly. “But that’s because I’m the smartest. And the strongest. I’m a queen, after all!”

Cirno’s situation hits you all at once- with no apparent seelie court in Gensokyo, Cirno is the smartest fairy around- too smart to hold much truck with most of her kind, if not all. But she’s not savvy enough to garner the respect of any youkai, and too powerful for the human villagers to feel comfortable with. You suddenly feel a bit guilty for leaving her out of all those conversations in Draconic over the last day and a half.

“Well, I think you’re strong enough to handle some wizard magic,” you say, reaching out and ruffling her hair. “We’ll see what we can do sometime, eh?”

Cirno sighs, and slowly places Keine’s hat atop her head again. “You don’t have to say that,” she says sadly. “I’m more adult then that...” she slips off the bed and walks towards Keine’s bedroom.

“Uh, Cirno-”

“Gonna take a nap.”

“Okay.” Something else occurs to you. “Uh, where’s Keine?”

“She went out,” Cirno says perfunctorily, and quits the room.

You sigh, shaking your head, and lay back on the bed, studying the long rays of late afternoon light slanting across the ceiling. Arcane equations swim and dart through your mind; avenues of inquiry and nagging questions about those books won’t leave you alone. Trying not to think of Cirno, you reluctantly turn to a suspicion that’s been nagging at your heels since the moment you grasped how different the local magic is from yours.

Getting out of Gensokyo will probably be a lot harder then getting in. You can prepare a Planeshift spell first thing tomorrow if you want, but the difficulties in retrieving your supplies alone have made it clear- it won’t be that easy to get out of Dodge.

“Night and day, the dark gates stand wide,” you mutter, sitting up. ‘Well, no use sitting on my hands. Hey! Chest! Ho! Here boy! Giddyap!”

The chest obligingly rises to its many feet, and trundles over to you. You pop the lid and record a quick inventory of your emergency supplies on a scrap of paper. After looking it over, you briefly contemplate casting Identify on the junk you salvaged from the airship... and dismiss the idea when you feel an utterly inexplicable chill go down your spine. For some reason, running around the place with a pocketful of unidentified, possibly magic items seems natural to you. You’ve no idea why.

Slamming the lid shut, you contemplate how to use the rest of the day. Your mind is still buzzing too much from your research to allow sleep just now. You’d like to talk to Keine about it, but she’s not around, and you feel a little worried that she’s not home. You’ve got no problem cooking dinner for yourself and Cirno, but it’s getting a bit late to be out and about.

You decide to...

[ ] Go out and look for Keine. Cirno should be safe in the house.
[ ] Just go to sleep early; the woman probably just needs some space. There’s got to be some alcohol around here somewhere...
[ ] Write-in.

-------------

Your Inventory:

- belt of spell resistance
- Rod of Extend Spell
- Immovable Rod
- Greater rod of Maximize Spell
- Rod of Extend Spell
- Bracers of Armor +5
- Wand of Lightning Bolt (x50 charges)
- Several potions containing various buffing spells
- Over a dozen scrolls, filled with various low-level utility spells.

In addition, this is what you already have in your pockets:

- A ring of Evasion (worn)
- A ring of Counter-spelling (worn) (empty)
- Gauntlets of Herculean Strength (+4 STR)
- Gnomish Repeating Crossbow (Tacticool)
- Dagger (salvaged from the airship)
- 4 unidentified vials (also from the airship)
- Wand of Fireball (x49 charges)
>> No. 124805
Also, I'm greatly amused by how paranoid people get after a simple Nethack reference and a well-selected macro. Fucking Nethack. Clearly, the psychological scars that damn game leave run deep.
>> No. 124806
>- Over a dozen scrolls, filled with various low-level utility spells.

[X] Do we have a scroll of Alarm? If so, cast a [mental] alarm around the house in case Marisa spilled the beans about us.

[X] Just go to sleep early; the woman probably just needs some space. There’s got to be some alcohol around here somewhere...

Don't get hammered or anything though, take it easy.
>> No. 124807
>>124806
Yeah. Getting hammered leads to punching hookers.
>> No. 124809
>>124805
You forget the power of encouragement that can do wonders to afflict doubt and fear on the anonymous hivemind. The image scared us.
>> No. 124810
>>124806

You do have a scroll of Alarm, in fact.

>>124809

I knew that macro was good, but I underestimated it's fell power.
>> No. 124812
[X] Do we have a scroll of Alarm? If so, cast a [mental] alarm around the house in case Marisa spilled the beans about us.

[X] Just go to sleep early; the woman probably just needs some space. There’s got to be some alcohol around here somewhere...
>> No. 124813
[x] Just go to sleep early; the woman probably just needs some space. There’s got to be some alcohol around here somewhere...
>> No. 124814
>>124805
I wasn't paranoid... will get get a chance to identify those items later?
>> No. 124815
[x] Just go to sleep early; the woman probably just needs some space. There’s got to be some alcohol around here somewhere...

The woman welcomed you into her home; there's no reason to be clingy.
>> No. 124818
File 128650207580.png - (134.13KB , 300x285 , nom.png ) [iqdb]
124818
[X] Just go to sleep early; the woman probably just needs some space. There’s got to be some alcohol around here somewhere...

Did we get the animated chest in a vastly rich, asian-themed country? Does it strike fear into the hearts of our enemies?
>> No. 124820
[x] Go out and look for Keine. Cirno should be safe in the house.
>> No. 124821
[x] Just go to sleep early; the woman probably just needs some space. There’s got to be some alcohol around here somewhere...

Is this the option to make our own dinner? Is it too late to make green eggs and ham?
>> No. 124826
File 128650673516.jpg - (199.38KB , 850x850 , 102867942d47693060801bbd64299b12.jpg ) [iqdb]
124826
I can see into the future.
>> No. 124827
>>124805
Nethack? Cause paranoia? I have no idea what you're talking about.

[X] Just go to sleep early; the woman probably just needs some space. There’s got to be some alcohol around here somewhere...
[ ] Engrave Elbereth under the door to your bedroom before you go to sleep.
>> No. 124828
>>124625
Yeah, I looked it up. Too bad they took the DC bonus, but it's not like I had a use for it besides RPG videogames.

[x] Go out and look for Keine. Cirno should be safe in the house.
>> No. 124859
[x]Inventory management!
- Put on belt of Spell resistance
- Put on bracers of armor
- Everything else goes in your robe's dimensional pocket.

[x]Fill up your free spell slots! Don't get slack or you'll be eaten by a grue!
-9th: Shapechange
-8th: Moment of Prescience, Irresistible Dance

[x] Just go to sleep early; the woman probably just needs some space. There’s got to be some alcohol around here somewhere...
>> No. 124861
[x] Just go to sleep early; the woman probably just needs some space. There’s got to be some alcohol around here somewhere...
Don't want to use up all our spells
>> No. 124884
[x] Just go to sleep early; the woman probably just needs some space. There’s got to be some alcohol around here somewhere...

Mokou option?
>> No. 124885
[x] Just go to sleep early; the woman probably just needs some space. There’s got to be some alcohol around here somewhere...

DRUNKEN FRENZY option.
>> No. 124886
>>124826
I'm not completely opposed to this.
>> No. 124892
File 128660783089.jpg - (91.97KB , 510x615 , a3711c81438fe929feda8656e8669b489a00ca4f.jpg ) [iqdb]
124892
[X] Just go to sleep early; the woman probably just needs some space. There’s got to be some alcohol around here somewhere...


Suddenly cognizant of your train of thought, you snort to yourself derisively. She’s out too late? This is the woman who apparently is the only reason the entire goddamn village hasn’t been burninated already, and you’re worried because it’s late?

“I’ve got the brains of a bulette sometimes,” you mutter, and walk into the clean, well-apportioned kitchen. Your eyes are drawn to a tall, white cabinet. You crack open the door, and a rush of cold air hits your face.

“Nifty,” you comment, and track down some eggs and a chunk of ham. Apparently practical magic isn’t an entirely foreign art here; perhaps enchanting is just a more arduous process. Rifling the drawers, you find a frying pan set it on the stove. As the iron stove begins to heat, you set the ham on a cutting board and....

“What kind of kitchen has no knives?” you muse. A quick search of drawers turns up nothing. Giving up, you reach into your pocket to dig out that long dagger you found on the airship-

-and find the grip in your hand as soon as it enters your pocket, with no searching whatsoever.

You pull it out and examine the blade curiously. Aside from being sharp, it looks totally ordinary.

You shrug. Later it might warrant experiment, but for now, you’re hungry. You dice up the ham and proceed to cook up a gigantic eight-egg omelet. Cutting it in half, you shovel them onto two plates, and take one to Keine’s room.

Cirno is curled up on Keine’s bed, with the covers pulled over her head.

“Hey, Cirno.”

“Mmmfff.”

“Hey, Cirno.”

“Goway.”

“HEY! LISTEN!”

Whaaat!” she exclaims irritably, sitting bolt upright and throwing the blankets away.

“Breakfast!” you exclaim, putting a fork on the plate and sliding it across the floor to her.

“Uh.... breakfast?”

“Yeah, who makes an omelet for dinner? It’s six-AM.”

You turn your back on a very puzzled fairy. You figure this is easier then admitting that eggs are about the only thing you can cook worth a damn. Trotting back to the kitchen, you devour your own omelet at lightspeed. As usual when you’re researching, you lost track of just how late it was, and you’re ravenous.

“And now...” you ditch your plate in the sink, and go to Keine’s study, where you open her storage chest. It takes you exactly thirty-four seconds to find a bottle secreted underneath a pile of blank scrolls.

“Score,” you whisper, and carry it back into the main room with you. Tucking it under your arm, you take your last responsible act of the night- picking up your spellbook and preparing Moment of Prescience and Otto’s Irresistible Dance. You cast Prescience immediately; giving you its benefit till at least noon tomorrow. That leaves your ninth-rank spell to choose, and here you pause a moment. Your natural pick here is Meteor, since in your opinion the shortest line between a problems and solutions is flaming explosive death. However, it’s not the best pick for fending off nighttime surprises at close quarters.

“Shapechange, then.” You prepare it, and then toss the book into your chest, which obediently trundles to a corner of the room and settles down. After working the stubborn cork out of the bottle, you sample the contents.

“Ptthfffbhaarrchk!” you comment. “Fuck, it tastes like an elephant took a shit in a rice paddy.” You take another sip. “Make that a herd.”

Five drinks, and you revise your estimate to a pack of ankhegs. By eight, you’re sure it was a pack of ankhegs that ate the farmers and shit them out. By ten, you decide its ambrosia.

Unfortunately, your indulgence has done nothing but make the room spin as fast as your thoughts. Strange magics, a sad little fairy, an alien demiplane full of powerful and potent women with little sense of responsibility, a shapely schoolteacher who-

“Hey!” Cirno declares from the door to Keine’s room, her empty plate in hand. “You’re drinking!”

“Daaahm rooight!” you slur in Sylvan, since Cirno doesn’t have her borrowed hat on at the moment. “Hey, Cirno, how many pixies does it take to paint a barn?”

“No, no, you shouldn’t be drinking!”

“Depends on how hard ya throw’em! And whu can’t me drink? Are I adult or what?” You take another swig.

“It’s before five! You’re an alcoholic!”

“Lies!”

“You said it was six in the morning a half hour ago!”

“Hey, whacha do when ya see an elf drowning?”

“What’s wrong with you!”

”YOU THROW HIM HIS WIFE’N’KIDS!” you cackle hysterically.

“If you don’t put that bottle down, I’ll... I’ll tell teacher!” Cirno says in tones of rising alarm.

“Shezn’t heres,” you observe, stomping your foot to punctuate your bulletproof argument.

“I’ll find her!” Cirno begins edging towards the front door.

“Oh hella whack!” you exclaim. “Chest, HO!” Your chest obligingly trots over, and you unsteadily mount it. Kicking its wooden sides, you draw your wand and thrust it ahead. “AFTER THAT FAIRY!”

Cirno shrieks and tries to bolt for the door, but the chest manages to get between her and the exit first. She bolts into Keine’s bedroom and the chest dutifully follows. With growing panic, she darts back into the main room and out the front door with the chest hot on her tail, slowly gaining momentum.

“YAHOO!” you whoop with glee. The chest is gaining on Cirno rapidly, and when it finally catches up with her, you scoop her up and seat her on the chest in front of you. Holding her firmly with one arm, you whip your hat off with the other.

“RAWHIDE, MOTHERFUCKERS!” you shout, urging your mount on by smacking it’s side with your hat. The chest is really moving now, barreling down the empty side streets on the edge of town with impressive velocity, the rumble of its many tiny feet echoing down the alleys. It sounds vaguely like a stampede of armadillos. Somewhere in there, Cirno’s shrieks of terror turned into hollers of exhilaration.

The chest leans into the turn as you corner at high speed, and you hear a scream as somebody in a red-and-white dress dives out of the way. Here and there heads pop out of windows to observe your passage, but all they could possibly get is a glimpse.

Around that point, your memories fade into brief snatches of corners rounded, deserted streets whipping by at high speed, and Cirno’s delighted yodeling.

***

You wake up with one hell of a hangover.

“Gemme uh cleriiic,” you wail softly, and try to roll out of bed. You remember in mid-air that you made yourself a proper, Western-style raised bed last night, and the impact with the floor splits your brain in half and sends it bouncing around the room for a few minutes.

“Fuuh.” You grab your head to try and squeeze your intellect back in, and your hands discover your Belt of Spell Resistance tied ‘round your head like a karate belt.

“What the hell do those elephants eat?” you wonder aloud.

“Elephants?” queries Keine’s voice from somewhere overhead. “What the hell is an elephant?”

“Ask a dwarf sometime,” you reply to the floor. “Their invective approaches poetic fluidity when that query is put to them. Please give me some water or perhaps a swift death. Help.”

A hand turns you over, pulls you upright, and applies a glass to your lips. “I should probably be pissed at you,” Keine says as you drink, “but you just look too damn funny right now.”

“When’d you get home?”

“Early in the morning. You were already asleep. Cirno probably put you to bed.”

Memories of your impromptu gallop through town start coming back to you, and you begin to construct an algorithm linking the duration of Keine’s good humor to the probability of her over-hearing town gossip.

“Sorry. Had trouble sleeping,” you manage to rasp out.

“I guess so. Thanks for making dinner for Cirno, by the way. I saw the plates.”

“Dun mention it,” you mumble, clawing your way back up to the bed and sitting down heavily.

“I’ve pulled the shades. Finish that, I’m going to put breakfast on.”

You take Keine’s advice and slug down the water, rubbing your head miserably. After a while it subsides, and you start to feel rather better. Despite the prior nights activities, it seems you got a decent night’s sleep. Tugging your grimories from your pocket, you settle down and go through the familiar process of preparing your spells for the day. You’ve got some you want still prepared from yesterday, so it goes a bit quicker then normal.

Keine comes out of the kitchen carefully balancing two heavily-laden trays just as you tuck your books away. You rise to help her, but she just tut-tuts you, and makes it across the room with no problem. Handing you one tray, she takes the other and sits next to you on the bed.

“Sorry it took so long,” she said. “I don’t usually make waffles.”

Waffles, sausage, bacon- it looks like she went all-out. “Don’t know what I did to deserve this,” you say, “but it fills me with glee.”

Keine shrugs. “Nothing fancy, just time-consuming to put together.”

“What about Cirno?”

“She’s pretty whipped, I figured I’d let her sleep a bit longer.”

“Mmhmm,” you agree absently, digging into the waffles. Just as you take your first delicious, syrupy bite, the hair on the back of your neck stands up.

You swallow, and flick your eyes towards the corner of the room, near the ceiling. You don’t so much see the magical sensor as feel it, the peculiar way your gaze slides off that spot. You “feel” it move a bit and quickly flick your eyes away from it to avoid revealing your knowledge.

“Good?” asks Keine.

You nod absently, your mind racing. What to do?’


[ ] That’s the Scry, next is the Die. Get my friends out, now.
[ ] Do nothing. The spies ignorance of his detection is valuable, no matter what their objective.
[ ] Openly inform Keine and show your contempt for the spy’s amateur attempt.
[ ] Inform Keine discreetly at the first opportunity.
[ ] Write-in?

---------------------------------

Remember that you now have the advantage of surprise if any attack is incoming; weigh this against possibility of overwhelming force. Also, our MC has finally had a full nights sleep and a morning with his books, so you may suggest 3 7th level spells, 2 8th level spells, and a ninth-level spell, if you so wish.
>> No. 124893
> you hear a scream as somebody in a red-and-white dress dives out of the way
> somebody in a red-and-white dress
> red-and-white
> Reimu

oshi-
>> No. 124894
Well looks like we have ourselves an auto-sage. I suggest a new thread.
>> No. 124895
Do we have Detect Scrying prepared? Or can we have it prepared?
>> No. 124896
[x] That’s the Scry, next is the Die. Get my friends out, now.
-[x] First, cast Anticipate Teleport. If this person has Scryed you once, he can damn well do it again, and you're not about to have some nonce off you.
--[x] In fact, make the escape on the triple.

Okay, this is just a primary plan. Obviously, we need to get a bit more fancier concerning defense, without hemorrhaging spell slots.

The most direct thing to do would be to cast Teleport after grabbing Keine and Cirno, but I kind of want to see what's what, so a mass Invisibility would probably suffice better.

Oh, and in before Yukari.
>> No. 124897
[x] Inform Keine discreetly at the first opportunity.
>> No. 124898
time for a new thread already.
>> No. 124899
[x] Inform Keine discreetly at the first opportunity.
[x] Immediately memorise counters for commonly encountered magical invasion attempts.

...[x] If all else fails, use Moment of Prescience to go first in the fight and turn into a bloody dragon.
>> No. 124900
[X] Openly inform Keine and show your contempt for the spy’s amateur attempt.
>> No. 124916
[ ] Openly inform Keine and show your contempt for the spy’s amateur attempt.

Guess this option tells Yukari the MC will hold against her (I assume this with my limited knowledge of D&D, only have been reading the wikis recently). And judging her nature, she will avoid the harm's way.

Either way, a battle scene is OK too.

>Cirno, omelletes, ruffling hair

I am familiar with this.
>> No. 124918
New thread here: >>124917 If you already voted, please repeat your vote.

Also, Jesus CHRIST how did we hit autosage already omg