[Return]
Archived thread

File 128166126092.jpg - (599.30KB , 1200x964 , go shou the silly old bowl where to go bowling wit.jpg ) [iqdb]
121787 No. 121787
I pause for a moment, weighing my options. If I were to find the bowl and leave Shou to her own devices, I may be lauded a hero… If she returns. If she does not, then perhaps I may be blamed for her death. I’ve little understanding of how the others would react to such an event, so it is possible. I should take as few chances as possible and find the idiot first.

I decide to head back the way I came; a very brazen move on my part, knowing what lurks out in the forest. I figure I can handle a spirit or two if they attack one at a time, but I could easily find myself running away with my tail between my legs a second time if I’m not careful.

I quickly lose my direction. Like the fool I feel that I’ve become I get turned around after stumbling over and falling onto a large stone boulder. I head in a fairly straight line, retracing whatever steps I can find and following the route my gut instinct takes me down when the former plan fails.

I hear nothing as I come to the edge of the forest. There is no geyser, so I must have come the wrong way. On the bright side, I eventually come to a stream, which leads me back into the forest. I use it as a guide, following the steady flow of water as it leads me deeper and deeper into the haze.

And would you believe it, I’m right back where I started! I stand at the foot of the ship, grumbling with frustration as I glare towards the stream. The ship has landed right on top of it, blocking the water flow, and a small pool of water has begun to form.

“Ah!” A voice from above; Ichirin jumps over the deck to meet me face-to-face, “You’re back! Find anything?”

“No, but I did manage to lose something,” I snigger, “Seen a woman about yay high, with weird black and blonde hair, and a particularly unfriendly demeanor?”

“…” She stays silent, obviously missing the point of what I’m trying to say.

“Shou!” I give up, “I lost Shou! We ran into a spot of trouble and—“

“Oh, if it’s her, then you have nothing to worry about,” Ichirin smiles brightly, “She’s already returned with the bowl.”

“Oh?” Has she now? What a strange turn of events. She’s come back? And she has the bowl? Am I hearing this right?! Not only have I failed to find Shou, but I’ve also failed to find the bowl first? What an outrage! I demand that the one responsible for this be put to death!

“Well, did she say anything about a pack of angry evil spirits?” I ask, sensing something… off… in the given situation. I can’t say for certain what it is, but my gut tells me that something is amiss.

“No, I don’t believe she has,” Ichirin says, “Though she did make a claim that you tried to push her into an active volcano…”

“Is that so?” I didn’t take the girl for a liar, but I guess I was wrong. I’m shocked, to say the least, but I don’t let it show.

“I didn’t believe it for a second, to be honest,” Ichirin continues, “She only just came back, but something’s wrong. Unzan told me… Wait, did you say evil spirits?”

“Yep.”

“…Care to follow me for a moment?”

>

>> No. 121789
[x] Lead the way
Maybe Shou got possessed? Oh well, she at least brought the bowl back, so every things fine.
>> No. 121791
Hold up.
>“Ah!” A voice from above; Ichirin jumps over the deck to meet me face-to-face, “You’re back! Find anything?
>“Oh, if it’s her, then you have nothing to worry about,” Ichirin smiles brightly, “She’s already returned with the bowl.
What exactly would she expect us to find if the bowl's already back?

Add in the fact that she didn't catch our oblique reference to Shou, and her claim that Shou, an avatar of Vaisravana (Protip: Buddhist gods are not well known for lying), said we pushed her into a volcano...

[X] "...Care to tell me exactly where we'd be going?"
[X] No matter what she says, don't go anywhere with her alone.

Not sure what's going on, but shit is not right here. Let's play it close to the chest.
>> No. 121793
[x] In Unzan we trust.
>> No. 121794
[x] That nun is a spy
[x] Spycheck
>> No. 121795
[X] "...Care to tell me exactly where we'd be going?"
[X] No matter what she says, don't go anywhere with her alone.

Voting against spycheck as friendly fire is on and we never really were on their side.
>> No. 121796
[X] "...Care to tell me exactly where we'd be going?"
[X] No matter what she says, don't go anywhere with her alone.

Something is definitely strange about this.
>> No. 121798
[X] "...Care to tell me exactly where we'd be going?"
[X] No matter what she says, don't go anywhere with her alone.
>> No. 121801
[x] In Unzan we trust.

No evil spirit could ever even dream to disguise into something as manly as Unzan.
>> No. 121802
[x] "...Care to tell me exactly where we'd be going?"
[x] No matter what she says, don't go anywhere with her alone.
>> No. 121805
Hey Sanaek, just what is this CYOA's title supposed to be in romanji?
>> No. 121808
>>121805
"Nue". The bit after the space that changes every thread is just "Chapter X".

And it's "romaji", or "rōmaji" if you're a real stickler.
>> No. 121832
File 128172379081.png - (387.41KB , 1001x655 , screenshot_20100813134743.png ) [iqdb]
121832
A Okuu. (Note: I didn't make this)
>> No. 121846
[X] "...Care to tell me exactly where we'd be going?"
[X] No matter what she says, don't go anywhere with her alone.
>> No. 121850
[X] "...Care to tell me exactly where we'd be going?"
[X] No matter what she says, don't go anywhere with her alone.
>> No. 121852
Guys, she just realised that at least Shou, if not us as well have likely been possessed, and she tries to be discreet about wanting to use some purification on us to make sure. Of course she fails massively at the discreet part.
>> No. 121857
>>121852
I didn't understand the idiotic votes either. Ichirin/Unzan weren't anywhere even close to the spirits.
>> No. 121860
>>121808
>rōmaji

no
>> No. 121868
File 128182019079.jpg - (214.37KB , 567x806 , inb4 Unzangelion.jpg ) [iqdb]
121868
Suspicious… Very suspicious… I don’t particularly care to follow her anywhere.

“And where would we be going?” I ask, wondering if I might catch her in a lie. She’s contradicted herself once already in a sense, and she seems to lack the experience in lying to stick with a proper story. She’ll mess up eventually, provided she doesn’t simply run logical circles around me and keep dodging my questions.

“Oh, just away from the ship a bit,” she plays innocent, leading me to become more apprehensive to following her. Why would she lead me away from the ship? I see no reason for it.

“I’d rather not,” I say, “Or at least tell me why.”

“I can’t be certain,” she tells me, fidgeting with her skirt, “but I need you to follow my instructions. It’s important.”

“Is it? And where are the others? I haven’t seen them around,” I pause, wondering if this might be my chance, “Where’s Shou?”

“Shou’s not—“ She stops herself.

“She’s not what?” I pressure her, “Here? Tell me, is anything you’ve told me true?”

“Yes,” she seems apprehensive.

“Then let me see her,” I say, wanting some definitive proof that what Ichirin says is true, “bring her to me.”

“I cannot,” she raises her arms as I try to step by her, “Please listen!”

“Yeah, yeah,” I ignore her, hopping up onto the ship’s deck and taking a look around, “Minamitu~! Heeey!”

Ichirin pulls me from behind, “You mustn’t do that until I’ve had a look at you!”

“What? Why?!” I try to pull away, but she has her arms firmly around my waist. I wish to be free, but not to the extent that I’m willing to break them off. She seems adamant, so I decide to be a little more open to conversation. “What are you looking for?!”

“The spirits stopped chasing you, didn’t they?!”

Ah, come to think of it, they did after a while. I figured they merely grew tired of pursuit and turned back, but this girl seems to know something. I stop struggling and let her speak.

“Did they touch you anywhere?” she asks hurriedly, “Did they touch you at all?!

“Yeah, kinda,” I say, wondering what has her so spooked all of a sudden, “I killed one.”

“Ugh, you idiot!” she seems about ready to slap me silly, “They’re spirits! You can’t kill them! It’s probably lurking around inside your head somewhere, waiting for a chance to take over!”

“Eh?”

I’m confused. I break one and it somehow invades my body through some incidental contact? How is that possible? I’ve killed a good few of them before with no such result!

“That doesn’t make sense,” I say, “I don’t believe it. Where’s Shou!”

“Shou isn’t here!” she yells, “Now follow me before you lead the whole damn horde right to us!”

>
>> No. 121870
>>121852
>>121857
She lied to us about Shou long before we mentioned anything about spirits. More pressingly, given how everyone on the ship seems to venerate this piece of pottery, it seems really unlikely to me that, if the bowl had really been found, the first words out of her mouth would have been anything other than "We found the bowl!" The fact that she asked "Found anything?" just makes it all the more damning. Sure, I guess it could have just been Snake's mess-up, but that's not a healthy attitude to have.

>“Now follow me before you lead the whole damn horde right to us!”
And this is Social Engineering 101. "Quick, make a decision now, before you have time to think things over!" They're mindless spirits, not Zhuge fucking Liang; there's unlikely to be any teamwork between them, and they're not smart enough to set up an ambush.

[X] "You want to exorcise me, you can do it right here and now."

And, really, unless this exorcism takes a ridiculously long time, there's no reason we need to go anywhere in the first place. If she's not possessed, this will ease her mind and let us quickly get to Shou (since if Ichirin isn't possessed, Shou almost certainly is).
>> No. 121875
[x] "You want to exorcise me, you can do it right here and now."

Tentatively subscribing to to this vote. The thinking in the post it's from-- >>121870 --makes sense, kinda, but I don't know for sure if it's the way to go.
>> No. 121878
>>121870
>Sure, I guess it could have just been Snake's mess-up, but that's not a healthy attitude to have.

Could have been, but that was intentional~
>> No. 121879
[x] "You want to exorcise me, you can do it right here and now."

Tricky.
Another tentative vote.
>> No. 121894
[x] "You want to exorcise me, you can do it right here and now."
>> No. 121896
[x] "You want to exercise, you can do it right here and now."
>> No. 121903
Guess Shou's already possessed by the spirits and held somewhere safe, which is the reason why Ichirin lied to us. That's my theory.
>> No. 121909
[x] Follow along
I trust her. And besides, if she starts getting uppity we will just smack her down. We are the Nue, after all.
>> No. 121910
File 128191782299.jpg - (443.88KB , 1104x667 , And Unzan is still nowhere to be found the cloudy .jpg ) [iqdb]
121910
I’m not convinced. I feel no different than usual; I’m starving, exhausted, and confused by my surroundings, but I’m certainly not possessed. I’d be the first to know if I had some evil entity swimming around inside my head.

Time to face facts—this girl is far too adamant on having me back away from the ship. Last I’d seen her she was choking up soot, and now she seems well again. Even I haven’t recovered completely, and to think that she is back to one-hundred percent… Yeah, not happening.

“If you want to exorcize me,” I say, standing steadfast right where I am, “then you can do it right here.”

“I can’t!” she pleads, “They’ll spread into the ship!”

“Will they, now?” I don’t buy her excuses. Exorcized spirits generally flee back underground or simply flounder and die with no physical body to sustain them. I’d be more apt to believe her if she feared the spirits invading her, but not the ship.

She doesn’t reply, as a heavy thud rings out from where she stands. I brace for an attack, but a hunk of metal lies half-buried in the timbers where Ichirin once stood. I brush the splintered wood from my face and look to the ground, where blood runs thick at my feet. All that remains of Ichirin is a small red smear, and I’m half coated in the red stuff. What just happened?

My question is soon answered as a tall girl in white comes up out of the ship, followed by yet another girl—the same one I thought had just died before my very eyes. I try to wipe some of the blood from my face and clothes to look presentable, but that only serves to smear it around.

“Ah, hell!” I hear Minamitsu’s voice as she pulls on a chain in her hands, retracting the anchor lodged in the ship’s hull. The heavy iron kedge flies through the air as if it were made of paper, “It got away again!”

“Why is it always me?!” groans Ichirin—The real Ichirin, I assume—as she runs up to examine the bloody smudge now running down between the cracks, “That’s the fifth one so far!”

“Oh, it’s Nue!” Minamitsu is already in my face the very moment I catch sight of her. She seems excited to see me, but angered and disappointed by everything else that’s occurring. She seems hesitant to throw her arms around me—possibly because of all the blood—but she does it regardless, “You’re real, right?! Are you okay?! What did it say to you?”

“It wanted me to get off the ship for some reason…” I explain, a little confused by what’s going on. My first inclination is to ask her about the giant boat anchor slung over her shoulder and how she can possibly heft its weight with one arm, but there are too many other questions boggling me to easily settle down and ask just one one.

“Bah! Figures.” She grins and looks to the sky, “They tried dragging Naz off too! The bastards are taking our shapes and trying to trick everyone into leaving!”

“What the hell for?” I ask.

“No idea…” Ichirin comes over to us, leaving bloody footprints behind, “but that one is most surely dead.”

“Good! I didn’t miss then! Ahh~! My aim is always perfect!” Minamitsu cackles, “So what now? Anybody seen Shou?”

“No Shou, no bowl,” I say, “I lost sight of her a ways back, and neither of us have seen the bowl so far.”

“Damn shame, that,” Ichirin frowns, “And here I was hoping our luck might change.”

“Maybe if you’d had Unzan do some of the fighting, we’d have been through this little hump already!” Minamitsu glares at Ichirin.

“I can’t help it if he doesn’t want to get his hands all bloody!” Ichirin fumes right back, “What am I, his keeper?!”

“Might as well be, the way he lusts after you.”

“Ah-! He does not lust after me, you harebrained twit!

“Yeah, so moving on,” Minamitsu simply blows her off, and I can’t help but laugh a bit, “Where’d you lose sight of her, Nue?”

“Oh, right,” I take a moment to collect my thoughts, “We’d found the geyser, and some evil spirits came rushing up. I suppose it was right after—“ I don’t get to finish.

“Ooooh! That’s a new one!” Minamitsu cries with enthusiasm, itching for a fight despite her vocalized displeasure regarding the situation, “How many were there? Hundreds? Thousands?!

“That’s not important right now,” Ichirin seems worried, “Right now we need to concentrate on finding Shou before those… doppelgangers, whatever… get to her!”

“No need for that,” says the proud voice of what appears to be Shou climbing up over the side of the ship, “I’m right here.”

“Uh oh,” Not only is it Shou this time, but Shou is armed. I bring out my spear in case worst comes to worst.

And here opens a whole new can of worms. It’s likely that this Shou is another fake, considering the timing, and… What’s this in her hand? A spear?!

Wait, wait. The other hand. It’s a bowl! With a crack in it! The others’ eyes light up instantly; their prayers have been answered! But the display hasn’t won over my heart like the others, and I still don’t believe that this is the real Shou.

>
>> No. 121911
[X] Tell "Shou" to put the bowl on the ground and back away.
If the bowl doesn't float or she isn't her usual grumpy self, it's one of those spirits.
>> No. 121915
[x] "Sure it wasn't some crappy junk you mistook for the bowl? Let's see it float."

The dopplegangers don't know about the antagonism between Nue and Shou I'd think.
>> No. 121916
[x]Spycheck via spear through the gut
>> No. 121917
[X] Tell "Shou" to put the bowl on the ground and back away.

Of course, this doesn't prove she's the real Shou; a doppelganger could have figured out what's going on after seeing Shou, then found the bowl for itself and come to fool us. Regardless of whether or not the bowl is real, let's try to keep Shou from getting alone with anyone (us included).

But that said, there's nothing particularly suspicious about this Shou other than how she showed up at exactly the right time.
>> No. 121919
[x] Spycheck via spear through the gut

She should able to evade this.
>> No. 121920
[X] Question her about what happened, up to, during, and after you were separated.
[X] If possible, see if there's anything she can say or do to verify her identity
[X] Failing that, or if she protests in any way, knock her the fuck out, telling her to send your regards to Queen Dopplepopolis.
>> No. 121921
[x] the most sensible and/or fun-to-write combination of all the votes so far.
>> No. 121942
[X] Question her about what happened, up to, during, and after you were separated.
[X] If possible, see if there's anything she can say or do to verify her identity
[X] Failing that, or if she protests in any way, knock her the fuck out, telling her to send your regards to Queen Dopplepopolis.

This seems good. They dont seem to know how to lie very well.
>> No. 121943
>>121942
This'll be my vote too. Makes good sense.
>> No. 121953
File 128203219812.png - (319.21KB , 500x500 , Namu Amida Butsu.png ) [iqdb]
121953
But she glares at me as I hold my trident at the ready. It’s a reaction I’d expect from the real Shou, but I’m still not sure if I should go with my gut instinct or not. Part of me wants to stab her whether she’s real or not, and another part of me wants to verify the truth. I feel my will leaning more towards simply killing her, but I refrain from doing something rash so soon after she’s returned.

“I suppose this is your doing?” her eyes are full of revulsion as she tosses something at my feet.

It’s a small bag of… something the likes of which I’ve never seen before. Actually, what is she talking about? My doing? …What is? What does this bag of whatever have to do with it?

“Don’t act so surprised,” she smirks, confident in her discovery, “That little bag of tricks is saturated in your stink.”

“…Is it… now?” I pick it up, wondering just what the hell it is. It’s filled with some strange snake-shaped beads, which react to my body as soon as I pick one out of the bag. It’s strangely warm, and begins glowing as I hold it up to the sky. Each one of the strangely shaped glass marbles has a significant weight to it—as if it holds something many times its size.

Though on a more important note, it carries with it the stench of sulphur from the geyser, not whatever scent Shou has attributed to me. She must have inhaled too much smoke or something, as she’s obviously delusional.

“Oh, give it a rest!” she yells in frustration as I examine what she claims to belong to me, “You were trying to kill us just now, weren’t you?!”

“Err… No?” I don’t know what else to say. I’m as confident in my innocence as she is in her accusation of my guilt. A stalemate, a stalemate~ I see no way for things to proceed beyond this point without one of us showing some cracks in the proverbial armor.

“Er, Shou…” Ichirin steps in, giving me a bit more breathing room for the moment, “Provided that you are actually Shou, what are you talking about?”

“Oh I’m genuine all right,” Shou asserts herself, “So it turns out our little ‘friend’ here was feeding some evil spirits her energy, which caused them to assume our forms when they assaulted us.”

She looks back to me, raring to take a strike at me.

“I think I’d remember if I was doing something like that…” I pause, deciding to play the field in a slightly different manner, “And on that note, what proof do you have that you’re real? Aren’t you just another fake trying to turn us against each other?”

“Aha!” she grins, “And there’s the rub! I have no proof at all, and neither do you! However, I am at least confident in my own authenticity. I am as real as the bowl and spear in my hands! You, on the other hand… Have nothing!

So her identity is a non-issue at this point? I can accept that her bad attitude is right on the mark, but to allow her to push the issue aside and simply be the real Shou would be a mistake on my part. Especially considering her damning accusations of what basically amounts to treachery, I cannot allow myself to just accept it!

“Well, I do have these beads you gave me,” I say flippantly, deciding that it might be in the best interest of everyone to simply provoke her into making a mistake, “It’s a nice gift and all but the circumstances really could have been better…”

“Hey, she’s got a point,” Minamitsu laughs, seemingly unable or unwilling to choose a side in the matter. In the end I can’t blame her, and I’d expect that she fully trusts neither of us all things considered.

“You’re not helping!” Ichirin drags her off somewhere with a aggravated groan.

“Well,” I say, seeing no potential obstacles between Shou and myself, “It’s just us now. I suppose you’ve wanted to do this for quite some time now.”

“Not particularly,” she answers, “I had given you the benefit of the doubt up until this point, but you tipped your hand a little too early.”

“Ugh, whatever,” I sigh, choking back my anger, “Anything I say at this point is meaningless, isn’t it? Look here girl, if it’s a fight you want just say so!”

Shou stands at the ready, spear angled just slightly towards the ground. A defensive stance; well chosen considering one strong push would send her right over the ship’s railing.

>
>> No. 121965
File 128205771763.png - (286.86KB , 500x300 , bishamonten.png ) [iqdb]
121965
The time for words is over.

[x] "Maybe you didn't 'hear' me correctly: the last thing that jumped to conclusions ended up being a ghost. Well, he ended up as a red stain on the floor, but I digress. You don't seem so different: resorting to violence so quickly... what kind of monk are you?"
-[x] Anyway, I'm not in the habit of deniying a fight to anyone, ghost or Youkai. Come, young disciple of Vaiśravaṇa!

Recommended BGM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlfktOynI4M
>> No. 121966
Hmmm. Running out in a bit, but... we may want to try to absorb the energies from the marbles. Nue was sill insanely hungry just a little while ago, and every little boost should help atm.
>> No. 121971
[x] "Haven't learned your lesson yet? I thought we agreed about something below, girl."
>> No. 121973
[x] "Haven't learned your lesson yet? I thought we agreed about something below, girl."
The other one is too preachy. It's not really Nue's style, yeah?
>> No. 121980
[x] Turn into water
[x] Wrap yourself around her head and stay that way until she stops moving
[x] Go take a bath
>> No. 121986
>>I am as real as the bowl and spear in my hands! You, on the other hand… Have nothing!
But...we have a spear, too.

>>I bring out my spear in case worst comes to worst.

[X] Don't give the idiot the satisfaction of thinking she's right. Don't attack unless absolutely necessary, and expend only as much energy and effort as is needed to defend yourself.

If someone is convinced that you're trying to kill them, hostile actions are not exactly a convincing counter-argument.

Then again, if she could be maneuvered into enough positions where we clearly could kill her if we wanted to, yet are obviously choosing not to, would she eventually get the hint?

...eh, probably not.
>> No. 121992
[x] "Haven't learned your lesson yet? I thought we agreed about something below, girl."
[x] If that fails to convince her:
- [x] Don't give the idiot the satisfaction of thinking she's right. Don't attack unless absolutely necessary, and expend only as much energy and effort as is needed to defend yourself.

>>121953
Holy crap, why does Shou look even hotter than normal in this picture?
>> No. 121995
[x] "Haven't learned your lesson yet? I thought we agreed about something below, girl."
[x] If that fails to convince her:
- [x] Don't give the idiot the satisfaction of thinking she's right. Don't attack unless absolutely necessary, and expend only as much energy and effort as is needed to defend yourself.
>> No. 122000
[x] "Haven't learned your lesson yet? I thought we agreed about something below, girl."
[x] If that fails to convince her:
- [x] Don't give the idiot the satisfaction of thinking she's right. Don't attack unless absolutely necessary, and expend only as much energy and effort as is needed to defend yourself.
>> No. 122029
File 128219602554.jpg - (200.06KB , 517x749 , the best Icirin.jpg ) [iqdb]
122029
“You don’t remember what I said, do you?” I ask, watching her carefully. Her stance has betrayed her intent, but I keep myself relaxed to prevent her from realizing mine. With my words spoken, her eyes grow wide as she recalls the little exchange we had before the events of today. It would seem that she does after all recognize how little I would think of simply taking her head here and now, though it’s taken her far too long to remember.

“No, you do remember, don’t you?” I smile, “Your legs are shaking, girl. Do you truly intend to fight me or is this all a bluff?”

I’ve instilled the fear of me in Shou once before, and it seems I don’t necessarily have to assert myself again. Mere words have her shaking in her boots, but she still intends to challenge me regardless of her own emotion. I think she’s foolish, but let her have her bravery. She won’t need courage where she’ll go if the tip of that spear moves so much as a finger’s breadth closer to me.

“It is my duty to protect the crew,” she chokes back her fear and answers me, raising her weapon’s point to my head, “You, who are a blight upon us shall die here!”

“Ah, then why wait?” I hop up onto the railing behind me, pacing, and waiting for her strike to come, “If you’re so convinced that I plan to do away with you all then why not take that first strike?”

She hesitates, and gives me the perfect opportunity to attack. Ah, but to attack her first may cause the others to think that she was right; that I am a bloodthirsty beast that is oh so eager to make meals out of them all, or whatever thoughts of the sort she has running through her head at this very moment.

“Ah, but it’s all a bluff, isn’t it?” I laugh, “Hah! That’s just all it is! What you really want is for me to break down—to speak of my motivations and beg for forgiveness, is that it? Pfft, what an idiot!

“You… You—“ Ah, I have her at a loss for words. As she struggles to voice her jumbled thoughts I look down at her and laugh harder.

You get down from there!

“Nuh-uh,” I grin, “Heh, you lost steam pretty quick, didn’t you?”

“Alright, alright,” Ichirin steps back in after having dealt with Minamitsu, “You two cut it out before I get angry.” She steps right on up to Shou and grabs the bowl from her hands. A quick examination and she throws it over the side of the boat.

I guess it wasn’t really the one they were after, huh? Shou seems utterly shocked and dismayed as the sound of shattering pottery rings out from below, but Ichirin didn’t even bat an eyelash nor did she bother to say anything at all. I suppose she knew it was a fake right from the start, didn’t she? That at least explains why her surprise upon seeing it initially was so short-lived.

Shou backs down immediately after realizing her position… and more importantly her location. Though I still don’t quite see the reason for her to so hurriedly give up the fight. Ichirin is harmless from what I’ve seen, and even when she’s quite noticeably upset she carries no particular weight to her. Why does Shou act so threatened?

“You too, Nue,” Ichirin smiles at me, “put that spear down, will you?”

“Fine,” I drop it, watching the tip arc down and sink into the ship’s wooden deck, “I wasn’t really all that eager for a fight anyway.”

“Good to hear,” she seems to brighten up a bit, though it’s hard to say when she’s all smiles. I can’t tell if she’s angry or happy.

“So Shou,” Minamitsu comes back up on deck, looking just a bit worse for wear, “You were saying that this is somehow Nue’s doing… Can you prove that?”

“You’re taking her side?!” Outraged, Shou immediately goes for her weapon. But Ichirin shoots her a nasty glare… Her response is obvious.

“I’m not taking sides here,” Minamitsu rubs her face in exasperation, “and I know the ship is a mess, but I can’t have you two fighting over a hunch that doesn’t’ seem to carry any weight at all.”

“My proof is definitive!” Shou declares, pointing at me, “That bag of seeds reeks of her!”

“I smell sulphur, actually,” I say, grumbling and wishing she’s simply shut her mouth permanently. Her voice makes my ears ring when she yells so loudly, and it’s grating and annoying.

“You lie!” Shou’s confidence seems to grow exponentially depending upon how many of her allies surround her. Even Nazrin who comes up half-dressed and sopping wet from head to toe seems to encourage her by simply standing in view. Strength in numbers? Or simple naiveté?

But Nazrin is completely out of the loop. She looks like she’s been trying to wash up after a good fight, and probably just came up in the middle of her bath after having heard Shou screaming. I sympathize with her; she’s just as confused by the situation as I am.

“I do not,” I say, “You are merely smelling and seeing… and believing whatever you want. How much of this is delusion and how much is caused by this bag of snake-stones isn’t clear to me.”

“I believe Nue is right,” Ichirin says, siding with me, “I see and smell the same as what she does… Perhaps it holds the same properties as Nue’s power, and simply has an effect on the senses like that little trick she demonstrated during lunch today?”

“Ah, you noticed?” Surprise, surprise. I did figure she was fairly observant, and I had my suspicions, but she just now proved all of them to be true. Ichirin is not affected by my abilities… At least, not the ones that alter the senses. All in all I’m pleased with her; not many can claim to so easily see through that ability.

“How could I not? Your ability produces a very distinct blurring in my eyes. Even now, that bag in your hand is something that I cannot quite distinguish from its surroundings…” she smiles, “have you ever tried wearing another person’s glasses?”

… “Err…”

“I suppose not,” she tries to come up with something else and stumbles mentally once or twice, but eventually settles on something fairly profound, “Well, if I had to put it into terms you can understand, what I see is much like looking up at the sky from the bottom of a murky lake.”

“Ocean,” Minamitsu sees fit to correct her on something mundane, “It was the ocean, not a lake.”

“Right…” Ichirin seems to understand, but mentally shrugs of the comment. She turns back to Shou, “In any case, I can’t say I believe that Nue is at fault, nor do I think it wise to confront her on the matter as you have done. What say you, Shou?”

“I still don’t buy it,” she snarls at me, “My senses don’t lie.”

“But they can be tricked, can’t they?” Minamitsu jumps in again, hopefully this time not to add some asinine detail that may as well be left unsaid, “Right now that bag smells like curry to me. Nue doesn’t smell like curry, but do I stop eating curry because something that smells like it tried to kill me?” She pauses considerably, “Wait, wait. That’s not a good example. I’d probably not eat it for a while if it was food poisoning or something like that, but…”

“Mitsu, you’re not helping!!” Ichirin seems about ready to slap the girl silly… again. I can’t help but see the humor in it all.

“Hey, I’m trying! Cut me a break, will you?”

“Ugh, don’t make me drag you back inside again.”

“…Okay, I’ll be good.” Minamitsu says meekly.

“But there are too many similarities for this to be mere coincidence,” Shou continues unabated, “She had to be involved somehow!”

“I wasn’t,” I say, “Jeez, can’t I even try to defend myself? Get it through that thick skull of yours already before I pull the bones open and force it in!”

“…Force what in?” Minamitsu says while grinning, again with the foolish commentary. Ichirin goes red in the face with anger, but does nothing at this point and time. I expect she’ll have it in for the girl later in the day when our problems are fewer.

“Apologies if I mess up on the details, but lemme get this straight,” says the half naked and soaking wet Nazrin, “Shou accuses Nue of foul play, Nue protests her innocence. …And somehow that bag of delicious-smelling foodstuffs is the cause of everything regarding these strange apparitions?”

“They’re beads, not food.” Ichirin says, “You are experiencing the same effects as Shou. It fools your senses into believing that it is something that it’s not, and Shou has merely taken her conclusions a step further.”

“Ah, I see,” Nazrin says, “The solution is simple, then… So why did I end my bath prematurely for something as inane as this? Explain this to me, why don’t you?”

“That was your decision, wasn’t it?” I say, “How is it anybody’s fault but your own?”

“Ah, good answer,” she winks at me, “Now if you’ll excuse me there’s still some blood in my hair that simply refuses to come out.” She disappears into the heart of the ship, holding a towel around her waist in much the same manner as she had appeared. I believe she was merely looking for an excuse to not be a part of this, but whatever.

“…So was there any point to this at all?” I ask, feeling a little underwhelmed by the conclusion. I had expected a fight, only to see the outcome as being basically a mediation session between Shou and myself. What a boring way to go, huh?

“I still don’t trust her,” and yet Shou is unrelenting. I just want to slap her around a bit until she gets it, but I don’t think it’d do any good.

>
>> No. 122031
[x] Wonder if a session like with Minamitsu would help unstrung the hopelessly stringent kitty.
[x] Go have a rest belowdecks and ponder how to find that damn bowl. It's still the goal, right?
>> No. 122033
[X] You don't care if she trusts you, or even likes you, but if you're going to be sticking around you really don't need her blaming you every time she so much as stubs her toe.

[X] So, just what does she need from you to get off your case, since helping in getting the ship out of that hellhole and nearly getting incinerated to do it apparently aren't good enough?
>> No. 122034
[X] You don't care if she trusts you, or even likes you, but if you're going to be sticking around you really don't need her blaming you every time she so much as stubs her toe.

[X] So, just what does she need from you to get off your case, since helping in getting the ship out of that hellhole and nearly getting incinerated to do it apparently aren't good enough
>> No. 122035
[x] >>122033
>> No. 122043
[X] You don't care if she trusts you, or even likes you, but if you're going to be sticking around you really don't need her blaming you every time she so much as stubs her toe.
-[X] So, just what does she need from you to get off your case, since helping in getting the ship out of that hellhole and nearly getting incinerated to do it apparently aren't good enough?
>> No. 122048
[X] You don't care if she trusts you, or even likes you, but if you're going to be sticking around you really don't need her blaming you every time she so much as stubs her toe.
-[X] So, just what does she need from you to get off your case, since helping get the ship out of that hellhole and nearly getting incinerated in the process apparently aren't good enough?

I blame the night of proofreading I did last night.
>> No. 122053
[X] You don't care if she trusts you, or even likes you, but if you're going to be sticking around you really don't need her blaming you every time she so much as stubs her toe.
-[X] So, just what does she need from you to get off your case, since helping get the ship out of that hellhole and nearly getting incinerated in the process apparently aren't good enough?
>> No. 122076
[X] "I've already told you that I'll kill you if you do me wrong, girl. Hell of a thing to be upfront about. What do you even think I would be keeping from you after dropping that bomb?"

Someone needs to get laid, damn.
>> No. 122077
[x]You don't care if she trusts you or not. As long as she doesn't piss you off.
>> No. 122093
>>122076
[x]Someone needs to get laid, damn
>> No. 122140
[x]Someone needs to get laid, damn
>> No. 122152
File 128244907928.jpg - (148.58KB , 1300x866 , The Darkness ain't got shit on me.jpg ) [iqdb]
122152
“Then don’t,” I say, refusing to let her stubbornness get under my skin, “I don’t care if you don’t trust me, but don’t you dare go and try this again. I don’t see what I’ve done to deserve this sort of harassment.”

I leave, not caring to hear anything further she may have to say. I take the offending bag of seeds… marbles, whatever, and head out into the forest. The fires and volcano have since subsided, and I’m able to breathe—and think clearly. I don’t hear anyone bothering to come after me, and— Hey, isn’t that part of the bowl Ichirin threw overboard just now?

…Why is it floating?

“Uh oh.”

Don’t tell me…

She threw the real bowl overboard thinking it to be a fake? Oh my, what should I do? They practically worship the damn thing, and Ichirin went and broke it into a hundred little floaty pieces! She didn’t even think twice of doing it! Ah, the story of how one silly little false pretense sabotaged an entire vessel in one flick of the wrist! I should laugh; I know I should be laughing at the absurdity of it right now, but I just don’t seem to be in a laughing mood right about now.

I flick a sliver of floating pottery away, and it tumbles weightlessly through the air just like when the bowl was whole. Well, it’s genuine alright, and seems to be lacking none of its magical properties now that it’s become a broken mess. What an interesting device.

I collect what fragments I can find in the folds of my dress, and take them with me out into the forest where I stuff a few into the bag of seeds along the way. I neither know nor care how the magicks might react to one another, and I don’t feel particularly keen on returning to the ship and sparking up another argument so soon after this latest one. I’ll be damned if I get caught up in the middle of that again! More likely, Shou’s suspicions might run wild again and I’ll be blamed for breaking it! There’s no way I’m going to give her the chance!

So I walk away; far away, almost to the edge of the forest where nobody will ever think to find me. It’s no small distance to be covered, that’s for sure, but I get so caught up in my own thoughts that I don’t even think about how far I’ve come until the trees start to disperse. I look ahead to rolling hills of green and what appears to be a small cottage on the hillside.

And then I think to turn back. I’ve no real reason to turn back, but I’m so caught up in the what-ifs I don’t bother with rationalizing. Minamitsu was the only one aboard that really did right by me. I neither knew well nor particularly liked the others aboard, and why I helped them is a bit of a mystery to me. It is unlike me to risk life and limb for another, youkai or no. Perhaps this is merely a part of the human condition, and I’ve been affected merely by having this body. A body I neither want nor am particularly comfortable with having.

I shake my head, trying to erase such thoughts from my mind. I’m stuck like this now, and there seems to be no way to turn back. The body has its perks, sure, but they don’t outweigh the downsides. I wonder if the person living in that house on the hillside has these sorts of problems to work out… Or if they’re tasty.

>
>> No. 122155
....
did we just turn the treasure fragments into UFOs by accident?
>> No. 122158
[X] Yo Nue, go sneak that shit.
>> No. 122166
[x] Black warrior needs food... BADLY
>> No. 122174
[x] Scope out the interior.
-[x] Mist form optional
Chances are, the person who lives there isn't human, or weak. We should gather intel before trying to wantonly eat people.
>> No. 122179
[x] Scope out the interior.
-[x] Mist form optional

Well we ARE Nue
>> No. 122180
[x] Scope out the interior.
-[x] Mist form optional
>> No. 122182
[x] Scope out the interior.
-[x] Mist form optional
>> No. 122188
File 128254167379.jpg - (1.07MB , 1200x675 , ms word spellchecks bare as bear every time.jpg ) [iqdb]
122188
Well since I’m already here I see no sense in squandering the opportunity, so let’s go have a look-see. From the outside the place appears to have been lived in recently, though I see no signs of the current residents being about.

As I pass from the forest a chill comes over me. It is nothing magical or mental; purely a physical feeling of cold as the wind buffets against me. My bare arms and legs feel the chill more rapidly than other areas covered by clothing. Strange that it suddenly becomes so cold outside of the forest, considering the sweltering heat within it. I was quite comfortable up until now, and I am beginning to see the reasoning behind a human’s need to cover their bodies. They have no natural resistance to the elements, it seems, and clothing is merely a tool to prevent them from dying of freezing… I think. It doesn’t explain why they still dress themselves during the warmer seasons. Foolish creatures.

I come up to the house and immediately veer off to the side. Going in through the front door would be a grave error of judgment; these humans living outside of the city’s realm often lay traps to keep out unwanted visitors like me who seek to either loot their belongings or consume their bodies. …I suppose while I’m here the former doesn’t seem such a bad idea either. The dead need not want worldly possessions in the afterlife.

I sneak in through a cracked window. Well, it wasn’t cracked when I came upon it, but a bit of pressure to the center of the pane fixed that. I suppose I could manifest myself as smoke or a cloud of bats or something, but I’ve not the energy to use my abilities so frivolously. A good meal or three and I’ll be back to normal.

The house is fairly similar to what I’d expect of a human dwelling, though there are many more rooms than what I would normally see in a house standing all alone. This human must have a substantial sum of wealth to their name to afford this much masonry and stonework. I go from room to room, smelling the air for the familiar smell of a human, but alas my hopes are dashed. Nobody is home. This is just an empty cottage on a hillside…

Or so I might think, had I not seen some manner of food on the table. Ah, and it’s still warm, too! I lift a slab of some kind of meat to my nose for a smell.

Ah, it’s human meat!

“…Ick!” And it’s spoiled. Somebody must have a strong stomach to cook and eat meat like this. I don’t dare take a bite. Youkai may be hardy creatures, but they can still die from consuming tainted foods all the same as any other living being. I won’t stake my life on eating a piece of maggoty meat, no way no how!

“Ack, what a waste!” I set the hunk of cooked and half-rotted meat back where I found it, and look for something to wipe my hands before proceeding to look for useful items to take.

I find the bedrooms, and an empty bed with sheets piled on the floor. Seems the resident here doesn’t care much for tidiness. They don’t seem to care to flaunt any potential wealth, either. The house is sparsely decorated at best, and bare at worst. The walls aren’t even painted! Not that they should expect guests, when they live so far from any civilized areas. I should assume that, given the nature of their meal, the person living here is a youkai; possibly more resilient and stronger than I. And given the temperature of their meal, they are not far off. I must have just missed them, or perhaps they ran out to investigate a certain volcano that had suddenly erupted in the middle of the forest. Possible Minamitsu’s gang will encounter him, her, or it before I will.

But alas, I will find no meal here. My hopes have been dashed! Save the tainted meat there is nothing here to potentially nourish me, and eating a fellow youkai should only be done out of desperation. I’ve gained a bit of strength from consuming the ship’s stew, and am nowhere near as starved as I was right after I had awoken underground. My apologies to Okuu, but I was hungry. …I’d rather not dwell on that thought, though.

I lie down on the bed, debating whether I should stay and meet this youkai, or whether I should leave and go elsewhere. Ahh, decisions, decisions. What to do, what to do…?

>
>> No. 122192
[x] Wait, you're curious about what kind of a youkai would eat rotten food. Wait what?
>> No. 122193
[x] Mist form-Voyeur option!
>> No. 122194
[x] Wait, you're curious about what kind of a youkai would eat rotten food.
>> No. 122197
[x] I might have trouble handling another youkai encounter in this state.
[x] I'm no ravenous blood-hungry lesser youkai or anything, but god damn it's impossible to find a decent meal around here.
>> No. 122201
[x] I might have trouble handling another youkai encounter in this state.
[x] I'm no ravenous blood-hungry lesser youkai or anything, but god damn it's impossible to find a decent meal around here.
>> No. 122265
[x] Wait, you're curious about what kind of a youkai would eat rotten food. Wait what?

Bear Youkai.
>> No. 122270
File 128277842345.jpg - (158.61KB , 800x760 , all nue needs now is a box.jpg ) [iqdb]
122270
Ah, well, I’m curious to see what kind of youkai has so strong a stomach that they can consume something to be considered inedible by just about anybody’s standards. Despite me being well aware of what my curiosity usually begets, I decide to stay for a while and wait.

I make myself comfortable using the home’s furnishings. I find the bed to be rather comfortable despite the smell of rotting wood coming from the supports within and under it. You’d think that, given enough time humans would have found a way to prevent wood from rotting? Ah, I suppose they could tar it, but the smell would be even worse.

Time passes, and it begins to grow dark outside. I laze about fiddling with my little bag of treats for a spell, flicking shards of floating pottery about. It seems that the magicks incorporated into the bowl and the ones within the beads do not interact well with each other… Well, save the part where the beads have stained the surface of the bowl shards a dark green color, but that may be just some dye wearing off onto the shards and have nothing at all to do with sorcery.

Then, I hear a bump on the wall. For outside.

Suspicious… I gather my belongings and go out to investigate.

“Uwaah~!” It’s night already? Perhaps I had fallen asleep for a spell; time did seem to simply fly by while I was inside. I turn the corner and heat behind the building where I heard the noise…

And see a door to the cellar. A wide open door to the cellar. I suppose that, coming this far I should have a look inside, but part of me doesn’t like the thought of being attacked by a bigger and stronger youkai within a confined space. Who knows what the beast would want of me. I ready my handy trident and step down into the room below.

It’s dark, and as expected coated in cobwebs like many old human constructions. I can’t tell if it’s the webs or the room itself that smells so moldy, and every step I take kicks up a little bit of dust into the air. My eyes eventually adjust to the incredible darkness, but my vision is still blurred by the dust.

I see nothing interesting at all--just a couple of moldy old boxes full of moldy old something-or-other and a bunch of spiders scurrying about on the walls. No youkai, no humans, nothing at all.

Then, I come to a realization—what if the beast knew I was in the house? What if, knowing that I was there made a noise to draw me down here? Perhaps that is how it acquires its meals? Youkai are not dumb animals, after all. They are perfectly capable of creating very elaborate traps to catch unsuspecting and far less clever prey.

Ah, but being a youkai myself I have an advantage over humans and animals! I know very well how youkai think! I came down here armed for a reason, and now that my situation is perfectly clear to me I think on what to do next. Shall I sate my curiosity and draw the creature out? Or shall I give into my instincts and flee before I succumb to some clever little trap?

>
>> No. 122273
[x]Shall I sate my curiosity and draw the creature out?

I fall goes bad we can always transform into mist
>> No. 122276
[x] Pretend to panic and flee
[x] Ambush
>> No. 122280
[x] Pretend to panic and flee
[x] Ambush
>> No. 122281
[x] Pretend to panic and flee
[x] Ambush
Interesting way of turning the chessboard over.
>> No. 122282
[x]Strut in
A strong youkai would have no need for clever traps. Thus, this guy isn't strong at all.
>> No. 122285
I'm the motherfucking Nue god dammit, I shouldn't be ambushing anyone. I am hungry and have had enough of this shit. It is time for some mind games.

[x] Turn into a mist, observe the owner of the house, give them the most horrible nightmares imaginable and then kill him/it while it sleeps.

Or we could go succubus style and rape whoever it is to death. On the one hand, that might have bad results. On the other hand, sex is yummy.
>> No. 122293
[x] Pretend to panic and flee
[x] Ambush
>> No. 122294
>>122285
Nue stated herself in the last update that her energy hasn't quite recovered.
>> No. 122300
>>122285
>time for some mind games
Reverse ambushing them is a mind game you dolt
>> No. 122341
[x] Transform into the house in a fit of architecturality.
>> No. 122361
>>122341
ok, I'm changing my vote to this
>> No. 122364
File 128296682724.jpg - (453.52KB , 819x614 , YOU'VE ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD.jpg ) [iqdb]
122364
Ah, I know! I’ll set my own clever little trap! What a delicious idea, I’m such a genius! Now, how to go about it…? I must think fast, for fear that I get assaulted mid-thought.

Perhaps I can simply draw the beast outside into the open, where I can move freely and kill it at my leisure. Or perhaps I play the human role completely, hide my wings, act scared and put it into a false sense of security before I take its head. I’d rather not use even the slightest of my ability unless doing so might directly result in my attaining of fresh human meat, so I decide to combine the two. Hiding my wings will likely serve no purpose beyond the obvious, so I let them show as I proceed with my display of feigned fear.

“Is anybody there?” I make my voice quiver, hunching forward and holding my hands out, feeling around with the trident and pretending to be unable to see in the darkness. Humans have poor dark vision, correct? I merely need to draw the creature out; not seeing the beast is more dangerous than having it in my sight.

“Hello…?” I call out again, this time hearing a rustling in the far corner of the cellar. I can vaguely see a shadow move across the wall away from me, and without trying to be obvious I follow it. The room is small, so it only has a few areas to hide providing it doesn’t try to sneak out behind me.

No chance of that. Suddenly, the creature jumps at me. I whack it aside with my trident before it lays its filthy paws on me. It doesn’t attack again, and I can hear it coughing from my blow to its gut. I ready my weapon for a killing blow, but when faced with the pitiful state of the creature I can’t quite bring myself to end its life... at least, not without making it a bit more miserable for having attacked me.

It groans, coughing up what smells like blood. I probably hit it harder than I should have, but then again… I was trying to kill it, was I not? Knocking the wind out of it is a best-case scenario. It’ll be incapacitated for quite a while. Now, knowing that my plan was successful and seeing it clutching at its gut and writhing in pain, the creature poses no more threat to me than a human.

…I still mustn’t allow my guard down. The last time I underestimated my enemy, I believe I died. I will not turn my back on this youkai until I’m certain it’s either dead or possesses no further will to attack me. To discern its intent, I can only try speaking to it.

“So what exactly were you trying to pull just now?” I ask, but get no response. Just coughing and the sound of the creature vomiting. Is it ill? “Er, you can speak, can you not?”

“I—ugh, can..” It replies, in the voice of a human female. Big surprise there, huh?

Good, good!” I’m a bit relieved, and a bit troubled at the same time. The creature—er, girl possesses intelligence at least equal to that of a small human child… and still saw fit to attack me while I was within my element. I debate with myself regarding whether or not I should kill her here.

But I should hear what she has to say first, “Why exactly did you attack me, then?”

“Uuuugh.. Meat. Made of meat… So hungry…”

“Yeah, same here,” I can’t help but laugh at how pitiful she is, “but you don’t see me—“

I can’t finish what I wanted to say. I had attacked a fellow youkai only a few days prior out of sheer hunger as well. Karma is indeed a cruel mistress. Perhaps, rather than look down on this pitiful creature I should sympathize with her.

“Er, nevermind,” I pause, “Say, were you the one eating that rotten human meat I found in the house?”

“…Rotten?” she asks, what little light shining into the room reflecting from inside of her eyes as she looks up to me.

“Yeah, it had bugs crawling in and out of it and everything! It wasn’t so much rotten as putrid!”

“Ah, the meat… It—made me sick. All I had… Had to eat it.”

Then, the girl collapses. I look down upon her unconscious body and wonder exactly what I should do with it.

>
>> No. 122368
[x] Oh well. Too bad. Moving on.
>> No. 122377
> Okay well eating its body might be a bad idea..but it still has an mind. We can figure our what scares it and get some sustenance.
>> No. 122379
[X] Leave her, look elsewhere for a meal.
[X] If you find some fresh meat or something, maybe you can bring some back to her. Might be handy to have someone on the surface indebted to you.


>>We can figure our what scares it and get some sustenance.

Can't scare someone who just passed out.
Besides, as weak and starving as she is, I can't imagine her having the energy to muster much of any emotion beyond her own hunger.
>> No. 122381
Good point. Changing my vote to
[X] bite off a finger. It be use full to know if youkai taste good or not.
>> No. 122385
[x] Begin to leave, hesitate, turn back, curse, heave the girl on your shoulder, head back to the ship.
>> No. 122389
[x] >>122385

Maybe we ought to swollow our pride before things end up playing out like in the games (already the bowl pieces are turning into UFOs slowly)
>> No. 122390
[x] Begin to leave, hesitate, turn back, curse, heave the girl on your shoulder, head back to the ship.

I want to believe this will work, but I'm kind of expecting her to attack as soon as we get near her.
>> No. 122392
[X] Begin to leave, hesitate, turn back, curse, heave the girl on your shoulder, head back to the ship.

I'm sure an additional crew member is going to piss Shou off, which is why we must do this.
>> No. 122394
[x] Begin to leave, hesitate, turn back, curse, heave the girl on your shoulder, head back to the ship.
>> No. 122395
I wonder who we just bopped. Rumia? Kogasa? Or... Well, we'd need to find a bag near the meat that said "Jane" on it, first.
>> No. 122397
>>122395
we need to get Rumia as our protege
>> No. 122400
>>122395
SHE DIED SO YOU COULD LIVE, ANON.

[X] Leave her, look elsewhere for a meal.
[X] If you find some fresh meat or something, maybe you can bring some back to her. Might be handy to have someone on the surface indebted to you.
>> No. 122402
[x] Begin to leave, hesitate, turn back, curse, heave the girl on your shoulder, head back to the ship.
>> No. 122403
[X] Begin to leave, hesitate, turn back, curse, heave the girl on your shoulder, head back to the ship.

I'm sure an additional crew member is going to piss Shou off, which is why we must do this.

Hah, Yeah I can see Nue doing that.
>> No. 122408
>at least, not without making it a bit more miserable for having attacked me.

[x] "Wake up, time to die."
>> No. 122426
>>122408
That's before Nue realized how pitiable she was.
>> No. 122437
>>122426
have we been reading the same things
>> No. 122441
>>122437
Yes.

>I can’t finish what I wanted to say. I had attacked a fellow youkai only a few days prior out of sheer hunger as well. Karma is indeed a cruel mistress. Perhaps, rather than look down on this pitiful creature I should sympathize with her.

This was after the initial attack and Nue got a good look at her.
>> No. 122443
[x]>>122385

We can dump her later if she's too much of a burden.
>> No. 122446
>>122441
Diversity. It won't win I'm sure of it.
>> No. 122453
[x]Drag her back to the ship
>> No. 122454
File 128313772458.jpg - (592.91KB , 1000x1037 , somebody make a Darkness joke.jpg ) [iqdb]
122454
I’d be well within my rights to leave her for dead here… but perhaps that may be a bit too harsh. I find it strangely difficult to simply walk out an leave the youkai where she lies, so difficult in fact that I for some reason or another decide to sling her over my shoulder and carry her back with me. She’s light, and proves to be not much of a burden to carry. Well, I just hope she doesn’t wake up in the middle of things and decides to take a chunk out of my shoulder. Then I really will kill her.

It’s gone completely dark outside. What little sunlight there was when I entered the cellar has been snuffed out by the night sky, and with only moonlight to show me the way I start to head back.

“Mmmmnnn…” the girl groans as I come to the forest, but doesn’t regain consciousness. At least, she doesn’t seem conscious. The house is long gone from my sight now, so any hope she may have had of escaping is likely gone away with it.

I reach the ship after a short spell of walking, and I do not announce my presence before boarding. The others are probably asleep, and I’d rather not wake them. It isn’t out of consideration, but because I do not wish to be asked a bunch of questions. I climb down below decks with the girl over my shoulder, and I find a nice small and empty room to shack up for the night.

I set her in the corner, propping her up against the wall. I can see her form in the dark, but the details of her face and body are veiled by the blackness. I curse this body’s inability to see properly at night, and decide to wait until morning to get a good look at her. She seems to be sleeping soundly, at least that is what her appearance dictates. More likely her body has forced any cognitive thought to recede while her wounds are healed. I find it safe to assume that I destroyed an organ or two with that single blow to her chest.

I take a seat against the door, barring any entry or escape with my own body, and I ponder the potential merits of keeping her around. Perhaps she might be useful as a sort of servant? Err, considering the fact that she cannot even feed herself properly… I’d have to rule that chance out. A few other thoughts and ideas come and go, but I eventually settle on waiting until she’s awake to decide what I should do. Even as starved as I am, I can still easily dispose of her if she causes problems.



A moment later, the sun is up. Strange… I must’ve nodded off thinking to myself. The girl still sits huddled up in the corner where I left her, but her eyes are open. She does not speak to me, but she seems wary if not fearful. I yawn and smile at the quivering youkai girl, waiting to see what comes next.

>
>> No. 122455
[x] Look over the girl because the author keeps refusing to describe what she looks like, though whether this is because she is some new Touhou or a pre-existing one, I don't know, but the vagueness and evasiveness is getting old and it would be nice to have that issue cleared up rather than dragging it out any longer.
[x] "Who are you, and where is the nearest place that humans live?"
>> No. 122456
[x] Boo
>> No. 122457
>>122455
>>122456
Gattai da!

[x] Get a good look at the girl.
[x] "Boo!"
Then once she calms down...
[x] "Who are you, and where is the nearest place that humans live?"
>> No. 122458
>>where is the nearest place that humans live?

How is she supposed to answer that question if she doesn't even know where she currently is?
>> No. 122459
>>122458
1. Nearest to wherever she lives or whatever.
2. Shut up Nue does not have time for your logic crap!
>> No. 122463
>>122458
If she knew were people were, She wouldn't be so desperate as to eat rotten meat.
>> No. 122466
[x] Get a good look at the girl.
[x] "Who are you"

The vagueness is a great way to keep us from meta-knowledging. If Nue doesn't know who it is, why should we? Here's hoping to change this.
>> No. 122471
[x] Get a good look at the girl.
[x] "Who are you"
>> No. 122478
[x] Get a good look at the girl.
[x] "Who are you"
>> No. 122480
Whats with srs business attitude you guys got goin for the last two threads? Have some fun, mess around with people just for shits and giggles.
>> No. 122486
[x] Get a good look at the girl.
[x] "Boo!"
Then once she calms down...
[x] "Who are you, and any one I should look out for?"
>> No. 122492
[x] Time for some snackes
>> No. 122494
[x] Get a good look at the girl.
[x] "Boo!"
Then once she calms down...
[x] "Who are you, and where is the nearest place that humans live?"
>> No. 122496
File 128332794515.jpg - (245.79KB , 650x850 , oso is a god among men thats a fact.jpg ) [iqdb]
122496
I quickly grow impatient as she sits there shivering in silence. She tries to hide herself as I stare, but can only cover her eyes and face with her hands. Ah, and speaking of her eyes, one of them is not like the other—two totally different colors in fact. In all my years, I’ve never seen anything of the sort.

I stuff my impatience where it won’t surface again, and I continue to look the girl over with the utmost diligence. After a while I get to my feet and slowly try to approach her. I lean over her, bringing my head close as she uses her arms to shield her head from what she probably assumes will be a fatal blow. As if she weren’t scared enough, I choose to scare her a bit more. I find myself smiling at the chance to cause a little mischief.

“Boo.”

AAAHH!” she almost jumps right out of her skirt. I have a good laugh, but she sinks deeper into her own fearfulness. She’s going to be a tough nut to crack, that’s for sure.

“Relax,” I say, trying my damndest not to appear as a threat to her, “I won’t do anything painful.”

I crouch down, leveling my eyes with the girl as she shivers and shakes. Aside from an occasional glance she tries desperately not to make eye contact with me—a tactic used among some of the lesser races to avoid a fight. It asserts that the opposition has dominance over her, and in this situation that opposition is none other than myself. I suppose she has a right to be fearful, but isn’t this a bit much? From what I’ve seen, she isn’t exactly the weakest youkai I’ve seen. …Then again, when is a starving youkai ever strong? We need human flesh and blood to maintain our power, though it seems that in these forms anything a human can eat will satisfy our hunger.

“Wh—“ I hear her speak, finally! “Whe—“

“Take your time, girl,” I try to put her at ease… Well, as best I can. I’m really not experienced at dealing with other peoples’ fear past snuffing out their existence, so it’s probably useless for me to try anyway. Still, I’d like to think the effort counts, “You’re safe now.”

Of course I don’t believe that. The second Shou lays eyes on another youkai aboard the ship, who knows what’ll happen to her. I just hope that damned tiger-headed girl doesn’t have a penchant for cannibalism, because that’d just be shameful. Well, given that she is an avatar of a god and whatnot, I guess it’s safe to say this girl here won’t wind up on somebody’s dinner plate aboard this ship.

“Where… am I?”

Ah, she at last musters up the courage to ask a coherent question! I was beginning to wonder if she was ever going to snap out of it.

“It’s a ship… that flies,” I pause, “Er, don’t ask me too much about it, I don’t really understand it myself.”

“You won’t kill me?” Her eyes plead with me as she looks up. Her arms drop from her head to her knees as she begins to grow a little more comfortable with her new surroundings. She still sees me as an immediate threat, however, so I should do my best to rectify that.

“Nope,” I say, immediately thinking twice of my words, “well, not unless you try and bit me or something.”

“I won’t,” she replies sheepishly, taking a step back after having taken two forward. Her eyes squeeze shut, and… well, speaking of which…

“So hey,” I might as well get this one out of the way, “what’s wrong with your eyes?”

Of course, she doesn’t seem to get my meaning, and she looks at me in confusion. I should probably pose the question differently if I want to get anything out of her…

“Er, why is one normal and the other blue?”

“I lost one…” she says quietly, almost pouting in the way she speaks, “It grew back funny.”

“Did it now?” That isn’t exactly a normal occurrence. Youkai regenerate lost parts perfectly. Ah, but perhaps it might have something to do with her body. I mean, a human body isn’t exactly designed to regenerate, so it may pose a few problems. Well, I’m not about to sacrifice an arm or something to test my theory, so I’ll just take her word that it did indeed grow back weird.

“I’m Nue,” I say, figuring she should at least know what to call me. I smile and hold my hand to my chest, “and this is my ship!”

“…”

I can’t tell if she’s in awe, or thinks that I’m lying. Well, I am lying, but what does it matter? I’m having fun, and damn all who wish to spoil it!

“Nue…?”

“What? It’s not like I chose it myself or anything, gimme a damn break here!”

“Ah, Nue!” She’s hit by some realization, “I know that name!”

“It’s not exactly a name,” I object, refusing to accept it as more than a term that refers to what embodies me. I don’t find the idea of having a classification forced upon me to be particularly endearing, but for simplicity’s sake I may as well just accept it, “but you have heard of me?”

“You were in the book!” she exclaims, suddenly very excited to be talking to me. I don’t understand it at all. Every youkai I meet seems to get hung up on the strangest of details. Is it my luck? It must be! I’m surrounded by girls like this one!

“…What book?” She doesn’t bother explaining anything to me, either. She just acts as if I already know about all of what she says.

“The book!” she repeats herself, “the one the human used to read!”

“And that human is… where exactly?”

She points to herself… Her stomach, to be precise, “Here.”

Always good to know that another human has served a purpose in life beyond… whatever it is humans do in their short and pointless lives. Getting eaten by a youkai is a fitting end to any human life, but that’s all beside the point. I shouldn’t bother asking about the fate of the book, but it’s piqued my curiosity.

“So where is this… book?”

“Ah…” she pauses, “there was a fire… I think. I don’t really remember that long ago…”

“I see,” I change gears, “So on another note, what should I call you?”

“Kogasa,” she smiles, “At least, that’s what the tag said.”

“…Tag? Dare I ask?”

“It was in the bin when I woke up. I’ve been using as a name ever since.”

A similar experience to my own. I suppose her and I have a lot in common outside of her inexperience as a youkai and some manner of brain disorder she seems to possess. She seems perfectly intelligent, just… odd. In the way that she speaks and refers to her own experiences, odd.

“Fair enough,” I shrug, not bothering to ask for more details. She’d probably assume that I know most of them anyway, given the way she described the situation with the book to me, “you hungry?”

She nods vigorously, “Yes!

“Good,” I think it’s safe to open the door, “My slaves here make some good soup that I just learned I can eat. You should try it… too…?”

Uh oh. Something bars the doorway. Something tall and armored and…

“Oh, uh…” I pretend like I didn’t say anything just now, “Hi, Shou. How’s the weather?”

Cold, like your jokes,” she smiles, taking only a passing glance at Kogasa, “So you think of us as slaves, now do you?”

>
>> No. 122497
[x] "Oh please. Do I look serious?"
[x] Look very serious.
[x] Deny that you are at all serious.
[x] "I'm helping the new kid get situated. Relax already."

That is indeed one fine picture of Kogasa.
>> No. 122498
[x] "Oh please. Do I look serious?"
[x] Look very serious.
>> No. 122499
[x] "Oh please. Do I look serious?"
-[x] Look very serious.
[x] INTRODUCTIONS
-[x] Shou is the avatar of a god, so you should be safe here. I guess.
>> No. 122500
[x] "Oh please. Do I look serious?"
[x] Look very serious.
>> No. 122501
[x] "Yes"
-[x] Order her to deliver Kogasa some food.
What is she going to do, I mean really?
She knows she cant get uppity, cause we can smack her around.
>> No. 122502
[X] "Oh please. Do I look serious?"
- [X] Look very serious.

1001 ways to piss off Shou.
>> No. 122503
[X] Well, you could call them "employees" is that sounded better, but since you don't pay them that would be quite dishonest, wouldn't it?
[X] Seriously, though, of course you don't think of them all as your slaves; insignificant peons whose only joy and purpose in their miserable little lives is complete and utter servitude to you.
[X] Just Shou.
>> No. 122505
[x] "Oh please. Do I look serious?"
-[x] Look very serious.
[x] INTRODUCTIONS
-[x] Shou is the avatar of a god, so you should be safe here. I guess.
>> No. 122506
[x] "Oh please. Do I look serious?"
[x] Look very serious.
>> No. 122507
[x] "Oh please. Do I look serious?"
-[x] Look very serious.
[x] INTRODUCTIONS
-[x] Shou is the avatar of a god, so you should be safe here. I guess.
>> No. 122508
[x] "Oh please. Do I look serious?"
-[x] Look very serious.
[x] INTRODUCTIONS
-[x] Shou is the avatar of a god, so you should be safe here. I guess.

Oh, so it is Kogasa. Was wondering when she'd show up.
On an entirely unrelated note, this story just got even better.
>> No. 122509
[x] "Oh please. Do I look serious?"
-[x] Look very serious.
[x] INTRODUCTIONS
-[x] Shou is the avatar of a god, so you should be safe here. I guess.
>> No. 122579
File 128364330190.jpg - (402.47KB , 927x708 , don't forget that you're the bad guy h.jpg ) [iqdb]
122579
Callous as always, hmm? Where’s the ‘good-morning-miss-Nue-how-was-your-night-out’? And no apology for yesterday either, I see. I suppose it hasn’t occurred to her that I’m at least worthy of her respect. I have her fear completely under my thumb, but to use force against her would in turn mean that I’ve lost the battle of wills first, and I would hate to lose to this woman!

“Oh please,” I say, scowling, “Do I look like I’m serious?”

She says nothing. Kogasa stays put in her corner, probably out of fear of yet another new face. I could step it up a notch, but I think I’ve gotten under Shou’s skin already today. I plan to be there all day, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t want to dig too deep; something bad might happen if I do.

“Okay then,” I change the subject, suddenly very uneager to pester Shou. I point to the newcomer and say, “That there is Kogasa. Treat her like you do me, and I’ll end you. Got it?”

“Hmm…” Shou ignores my last words. Though I know she heard all of what I said, I think she may be trying a new tactic. One of ignoring me and giving me as little ground to stand upon as possible. Well, it works, and I have nothing else to say.

She approaches Kogasa carefully, like one might approach a growling dog. Youkai can perform amazing feats of strength when desperate and cornered, and she seems well aware of that. Kogasa shies away from Shou and her corner, clambering up to her feet and running behind me to safety.

Not that standing behind me is safe in the least, but I at least won’t do anything to frighten the girl any more. I stand very still, and back away from Shou just the slightest bit and say, “Heh, she doesn’t seem to like you much, either.”

“So it would seem,” Shou finally speaks to me directly, “but you brought her aboard this ship, so she’s your responsibility. I’m holding you accountable for any trouble or damage she might cause.”

She turns to leave, but pauses. Her back shows to me, and I think how easy it would be to run her through right in this very room. I don’t act on those thoughts, but to think them is sweet enough.

“Oh, and we’ve a lot of searching ahead of us today,” Shou says, “the smoke has cleared so we should be able to cover the whole forest by nightfall…” she falls silent for a moment and takes a step forward before turning around to face me, “You’re helping too.”

“Ahh…” Well, it’s not like I want to refuse. To help her would be to help Minamitsu… and Ichirin, who had shown her worth this past evening. It’s good to know that I have at least one or two allies aboard, but I don’t think to mention the fact that I have what they’re searching for right at my waist. I don’t believe that telling Shou anything would prove effective beyond possibly cementing the thought that I’m nothing but trouble in her mind permanently…

Though the idea does seem a little permanently stuck in her head as it stands now. Could her viewpoint of me possibly get any worse? I suppose it could, but the final outcome is up to me.

>
>> No. 122580
>something bad might happen if I do.
>I suppose it could, but the final outcome is up to me.

You're not being very subtle with your subtle hints
>> No. 122582
>>122580

I'm not trying to be subtle, though.
>> No. 122583
[x] Breakfast first.
>> No. 122587
[x] Breakfast first, that girl really needs a meal.
>> No. 122591
[x] Wait until the search starts again and pretend you found it.
>> No. 122597
[x] Wait until the search starts again and pretend you found it.
>> No. 122600
[x] Breakfast first
-[x] For you and that Youkai, of course
>> No. 122601
[x] Breakfast first
-[x] For you and that Youkai, of course
>> No. 122602
>>122593
The word "youkai" does not get capitalized. We have gone over this before (although back then, I think it was over "tengu," but the point still holds true for any of these posts of things). I'd link the discussion if I knew where it was, or you could just take my word on it and keep from doing this in the future.
>> No. 122604
[x] Breakfast first
-[x] For you and that youkai, of course
>> No. 122609
>>122602
>Or you could just take my word for it.
Sure, whatever makes you happy.
[x] Breakfast first
-[x] For you and that youkai, of course
>> No. 122611
[x] Breakfast first
-[x] For you and that youkai, of course. Invite the others though.
>> No. 122628
[x] Breakfast first
-[x] For you and that youkai, of course
>> No. 122670
[x] Breakfast first, you really need a meal.
>> No. 122701
File 128381974127.png - (1.51MB , 1500x2105 , inb4 shou loses her clothes too.png ) [iqdb]
122701
“Yeah, sure, I’ll help,” I say, pushing past Shou with Kogasa very, very, uncomfortably close behind, “But food comes first. This one is hungry, and so am I.”

I pause as she stares at me. I suppose Shou is just impatient to get started with the search because she values the bowl so highly; perhaps more highly than her own life. Unfortunately for her, knowing what I know and having what I have in my pocket I see no reason to rush out there, so my stomach takes priority.

I head to the upper decks looking for a friendly face, now with two youkai in tow. Shou has seen fit to follow me, but her reason for doing so is a mystery. Perhaps she still suspects me of foul play, or maybe her reason is the same as mine—I’ll never know the difference. The beauty of it all is that it doesn’t matter at all to me. I could care less about Shou and her thoughts when I’m as hungry as I am.

“Hey, look what the cat dragged in!” I’m greeted rather warmly by Minamitsu as I walk into the mess hall. The others are already gathered around discussing some matter or another, and the smell of something oddly tasty fills the room. Kogasa dashes past me into the kitchen; I see no reason to follow her. Unless she eats everything I have no cause to get upset.

“…Who was that just now?” asks Nazrin, easily the most observant of the group. I had honestly expected something out of her as soon as I’d walked in with a stranger clutching at my back.

“It would seem that Nue here has brought back a stray,” Shou says dryly, taking a seat.

“Huh, that so?” Minamitsu looks at me, expecting a response. I shrug and nod, and she smiles.

“Lemme guess,” Nazrin grins, “’The more the merrier,’ right?”

“You read my—“

GYAAAAAAAAAARGH!” A scream and a commotion comes from the kitchen, silencing all of us out around the table.

A scream from the kitchen… Kogasa just ran into the kitchen. I put two and two together and—Uh oh. I run across the room towards the noise, but Minamitsu is way ahead of me. She slams the door open, and the two of us are faced with a scene of untold domestic carnage.

Whatever was cooking a moment ago has fallen to the floor, Kogasa in the middle of it and simply coated in the stuff. The entire room smells of the thick soup, and Kogasa pays no mind to us at all, licking her hands and arms feverishly to get what little that hasn’t already gone through the cracks in the floor into her belly.

I then see Ichirin in the corner of the room—well, see isn’t exactly the right word. A cloud of… something hides her shape, seemingly protecting her from the splatter of boiling liquid. I can tell it’s her initially only because her voice comes through the fog as clear as day.

“Someone mind telling me just what the hell that is?!” she yells, the cloud dissipating as she points to Kogasa, who has now buried her head deep inside the pot that had fallen from the stove.

“Er…” Ichirin is clearly angry, but her shock seems to outweigh the knowledge that all her effort in cooking has gone to waste. I feel that if I were to say anything, though, her anger would be quickly directed at me over Kogasa. I stay silent, but…

“Nue,” Shou comes up behind me, placing her hands firmly over my shoulders and holding me in place, “Remember what I said earlier about you taking responsibility for this girl…?”

“Uh oh.” I can see where this is going already. Her voice is calm, but I can see her face turning red.

“So, what are you going to do now that we have nothing to eat, hmm?”

>
>> No. 122710
[x] Learn to cook, very quickly.
[x] Failing that, go hunt something in the forest.

Nue doesn't hunt animals, though, does she? Eating dreams or fear or whatever from people makes her a predator, but not the right kind. This will not end well. I wonder why I'm still putting it forth as an option, really. I hope someone else has something better.

Also, poor starving Kogasa.
>> No. 122713
[x] Failing that, go hunt something in the forest.

Whether or not Nue hunts animals, it shouldn't be too difficult for her. She also wouldn't require her to use her powers so it should be manageable.
>> No. 122714
[x] Failing that, go hunt something in the forest.
Some rabbits, maybe
>> No. 122719
[x] Learn to cook, very quickly.
[x] Failing that, go hunt something in the forest.
>> No. 122720
[x] Oops.
[x] Well, I don't mind hunting but my diet consists mostly of fear or human flesh. I don't have any way to bottle up fear so... Yeah. Hope you all haven't lost your taste for real food, be back in a bit.
>> No. 122721
[x] How about we have tiger for breakfast today, hm? Ichirin, be a dear and fetch some apple sauce...

How have we lasted this long and only had SEXY TIMES once?
>> No. 122723
[x] Bop Kogasa on the head and give her a tellings off.
[x] Foraging trip (Yes Shou we will also be looking for the damn bowl at the same time)


There's a difference between ravenous youkai hunger and actual coherent thought but when ravenous youkai hunger stops you from eating it's something to be beaten out of you.
>> No. 122748
[X] You could always prepare some tiger.
-[X] If they know what you mean; wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.
[X] In all seriousness, you'll go hunt for something. That's how a youkai ought to do things in the first place.
[X] Grand Queen Prissy House Cat doesn't get to complain if you get the best picks of the food, though.
>> No. 122749
>>122748
Perfect combination of serious progression, self-important target setting and NUEism.

Seconded.
>> No. 122755
[X] >>122748
>> No. 122759
[x] Bop Kogasa on the head and give her a tellings off
[X] You could always prepare some tiger.
-[X] If they know what you mean; wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.
[X] In all seriousness, you'll go hunt for something. That's how a youkai ought to do things in the first place.
[X] Grand Queen Prissy House Cat doesn't get to complain if you get the best picks of the food, though.
[X] Bring kogasa with, she needs to learn to think through the hunger if she wants to be a REAL yokai!
>> No. 122765
[x] Bop Kogasa on the head and give her a tellings off
[X] You could always prepare some tiger.
-[X] If they know what you mean; wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.
[X] In all seriousness, you'll go hunt for something. That's how a youkai ought to do things in the first place.
[X] Grand Queen Prissy House Cat doesn't get to complain if you get the best picks of the food, though.
[X] Bring kogasa with, she needs to learn to think through the hunger if she wants to be a REAL yokai!

I remember a time when I thought up votes myself. Hmmm.
>> No. 122797
[x] Bop Kogasa on the head and give her a tellings off
[X] You could always prepare some tiger.
-[X] If they know what you mean; wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.
[X] In all seriousness, you'll go hunt for something. That's how a youkai ought to do things in the first place.
[X] Grand Queen Prissy House Cat doesn't get to complain if you get the best picks of the food, though.
[X] Bring kogasa with, she needs to learn to think through the hunger if she wants to be a REAL yokai!

Seems to be the best choice. Shou and Ichirin are both against us right now.

On the other hand, poor little starving umbrella...
>> No. 122818
File 128400813730.jpg - (214.13KB , 600x847 , I do not have a caption for this.jpg ) [iqdb]
122818
Ugh, well… This is a lovely mess you’ve gotten me into, Kogasa. I’d love nothing more than to beat her senseless right here and now, but I know why she did it. If I was dying of hunger I doubt I’d care much for table manners either. I shouldn’t have let her just wander off on her own like that.

I get her attention by slapping the back of her head. I intend for the blow to hurt a bit, but judging by her understated reaction I should have hit her harder. She goes “Ow!” and rubs the back of her head gingerly, and then looks up at me wondering what’s going on.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” I say, “You ruined a perfectly good meal!”

“Eh?” she seems surprised—I can’t tell if by my words or the recognition of her own actions, “You eat this stuff?”

You’re eating it now!” Ichirin yells in her own defense, taking Kogasa’s words as an insult to her cooking.

“But—“ It just seems to confuses her even more, if that’s even possible.

“She’s starving,” I say, “Give her a break.”

“Oh, I’ll give her a break, alright,” Ichirin’s anger cannot be stopped, “A broken arm, a broken leg…”

“Nue, come with me,” Shou grabs my arm and begins to pull, “and bring that girl along.”

“Agh, hey!” I can’t seem to wrench my arm free by force, and my powers are still too suppressed by hunger to work properly, “Do I even have a choice?!”

“No.”

…I don’t believe this. I grab Kogasa as I’m half-dragged out of the kitchen and pull her along with me in a sort of passing-the-blame chain. I blame Kogasa, and in turn Shou blames me who brought Kogasa aboard. And we all drag each other outside of the mess hall.

Shou lets go once we’re all out under the sun, and says, “Do you realize just how long it took to gather all of those ingredients?”

“We’re in a forest,” I reply, “How hard could it be to find a few nuts and berries?”

“Nue,” Shou is hardly amused, “That was all we had. I don’t know if you realize this or not, but our situation right now is dismal. That soup was the one thing we had to look forward to today, and you ruined it!”

“Actually, that was Kogasa’s doing—“

“I don’t want to hear it!” she hammers the end of her spear into the deck, upsetting a bit of dust and creating quite the racket. I fall silent as she continues to speak, “She’s your responsibility, and now so is this! We need food, and we do not have the manpower to send somebody out looking for any more ingredients while we are still missing our most vital component for mobility!”

“Got your hands full then, eh?” I say, grabbing Kogasa as she tries to sneak back off inside, “Okay, I’ll go find some stuff then…” I pause for a moment, allowing Shou to see my pearly whites, “Youkai stew okay? I have one in mind that I’m sure will taste just divine!”

“No jokes, please,” she sighs, “I’m being serious here. I appreciate you wanting to help, I really do… But can I trust that you’ll find something we can all eat?”

“Suuure~” This woman has some serious trust issues, “Just point me to the nearest human settlement, and—“

“Mitsu won’t eat human meat,” Shou cuts me off, “I don’t know if she told you or not, but she was once human herself. There’s a long story behind that and I’m sure she wouldn’t appreciate me talking about it… Oh, and Ichirin doesn’t eat meat in general, so…”

So…” I smile, “point me in the direction of a human settlement, if you know of one. I’m sure I can relieve a farmer of some of his crop.” And maybe his life as well. I, unlike these folk, am not adverse to eating a human. What I bring back here doesn’t necessarily have to be what I’m going to eat.

“Ah!” Kogasa jumps up, grabbing onto my shoulder and shaking me, “I know where one is! I’ll show you!”

“I suppose it all works out then,” Shou smiles as she starts to head back inside, “Good luck then, and do try to be back before supper. Ichirin will need time to prepare, after all.”

I hear the door click hollowly once it’s shut, and Kogasa stares up at me with the most enthusiastic and eager smile.

>
>> No. 122820
>Ichirin won't eat meat
Saw that one coming.

[x] "All right, then. Lead the way."

There are probably a few other things we should be asking first, but I can't think of them.
>> No. 122822
[x] Have her show the way, but tell her to be sneaky.
>> No. 122831
[x] "Let's go! New adventures! New encounter! New meat!"

I have the feeling that Kogasa is going to be very annoying in this story, but she's cute so it's okay. Beside, she's not an animal. She can learn.

[x] Train Kogasa after the meal.
>> No. 122834
[x] So... who is this human? It is your former owner?
She is a Karakasa after all.
About that human... considering her luck, she will probably guide us to one of the most powerful humans in Gensokyo.
>> No. 122835
>>122822
[X] Find Mitsu, hand over the jar fragments before you leave

Sooner the better
>> No. 122839
[X] Keep Kogasa talking. It will help with the hunger.
[X] Get a snack, doesn't have to be something that will really feed us, just keep her from feeling as hungry, something you can chew on.
[X] Show Kogasa how to scare people. She's an emotion based yokai right?
>> No. 122853
[x] >>122835
[x] >>122839
>> No. 122855
>>122839
>[X] Show Kogasa how to scare people. She's an emotion based yokai right?
But do we know that yet?
>> No. 122858
[x]>>122820
>> No. 122862
[x]>>122839
>> No. 122869
>>122855
Yeah, nothing (aside from OOC knowledge) has indicated what Kogasa specifically is, what her power is, etc. All Nue knows at the moment is Kogasa's name, that she's a youkai of SOME sort, that she's been starving enough to eat rotten meat, and that when not being totally miserable from the immediately previous condition she's somewhat chipper in personality.
>> No. 122885
A leash and name tag will be fitting for Kogasa.
>> No. 122889
File 128418088115.jpg - (421.82KB , 1000x1000 , She may be cute but she will still eat your guts.jpg ) [iqdb]
122889
“Well,” I smile back, “Lead the way.”

I push her along, and she leads me off into the forest with a smile on her face. If she were anything like me, she should be smiling in anticipation of the coming meals I hope to enjoy. Either human food or the humans themselves would suffice, though I’d much prefer the latter. I need to get my strength back, not just fill my belly. Kogasa, on the other hand… I don’t know what she has planned. Perhaps she’s looking to get me out into the forest and finish the job she started earlier? She seems like a straight-forward youkai, but a youkai is still a youkai. I stay on my guard, but I don’t really expect her to do anything foolish like that after how much I’ve helped her.

I look off to the side, staring at the sun. Seeing that it’s barely passed over the horizon gives me a good indication of the time. I believe that if the village isn’t too far off we’ll be able to make it there and back with plenty of time to spare. Well, provided the humans aren’t too unwilling to part with their lives. As hungry as I am, I may even be able to eat the whole settlement!

“Ahh…” Kogasa pauses, standing and staring at a large tree just up ahead, “Hmm…”

“What?” Already I find myself growing impatient. Were guts to have brains I’d expect my stomach to lurch from my mouth and strangle her for delaying my feeding by even a second. My brain being larger than my stomach, I hold back my irritation, “What are you looking for?”

“Oh, someone just scribbled out my markings.”

“So? Just follow the scribbles then!”

“Ah!” she pounds her fist into the palm of her hand, “I hadn’t thought of that!”

“Idiot.”

And we’re off again! But as I pass by the tree I notice that what she called ‘scribbles’ aren’t scribbles at all, but claw marks left by what I could only assume is a very large animal youkai. I should hope that we don’t encounter it on the way out of the forest.



A while passes, and the walking starts to wear heavily on my feet. With all of the roots and twigs and thorns and underbrush I tread through, it’s a surprise that the soles of my feet don’t simply wear down to the bone. Human bodies are surprisingly tough I suppose, but I should’ve worn shoes like Kogasa. Even a wood block like that under each foot would save me a whole lot of unnecessary wear and tear. But we keep pressing forward, and my feet don’t shed so much as a drop of blood, though they do hurt like hell.

Eventually, we come to a small hut. At first glance it would appear abandoned, but with all of the junk strewn around outside I’m certain someone lives here. I pause to think of what I should do, but Kogasa just walks right on in through the door.

Uh oh. I’ve seen where this has gotten her before, and I don’t like it one bit! I run in after her.

“Hey, hey!” I hear her voice off to the side immediately as I come through the door. Some kind of chime announces my entry to whom or whatever may live here. I follow in the direction of Kogasa’s voice, and head down an aisle full of more strange junk. What kind of packrat would keep all of this, anyway? For that matter, what is all of it? I don’t recognize quite a bit of what I see, and what Kogasa points at me is just as alien as the objects like it on a rack behind her.

“Bang!” she shouts, “You’re dead!”

“Very funny,” I grab the wood and metal stick from her hands, looking it over for a moment before realizing that I have no idea how it works and throw it back, “But we really should get out of here.”

“Why?” she asks, frowning.

“I’m starving!” I yell, “And as I recall you are too!”

“Ah, if it’s food you want I wouldn’t mind sharing,” says a voice from the other side of the shelf. I trace it back to the source to find a strange man sitting at a strange desk. Though with all of the clutter that surrounds him I should say he’s the most normal object here.

“Hmm,” he adjusts his glasses, squinting at me, “I don’t believe I’ve seen you around here before. Are you a customer?”

“Yep!” Kogasa gleams with excitement, “We are!”

“Oh, you.” The man scowls and looks back to his paper, “I hope you’re not here to make a mess of things again.”

I turn to Kogasa, pulling her aside, “You know this man?”

“I woke up here,” she says, deep in thought, “Once… Twice maybe?”

“Just how many times can you awaken as a youkai?!” I try to keep my voice out of earshot, but my surprise at the absurdity of Kogasa’s statement sends me reeling, “Are you retarded?!”

Tsukumogami often have brief moments of sentience before fully awakening,” the man says, obviously having heard everything. “Considering my line of work I am somewhat of an authority on her ilk.”

“So you do know each other?” I find myself at a bit of a loss. Kogasa is a tsukumogami—a man-made object that has attained a spirit. I could have guessed, but asking Kogasa for an explanation… I might as well be talking to a brick with a brain. She seems to believe her memories are shared, which may or may not be true when speaking of tsukumogami, but a true youkai like myself isn’t privy to any of what goes through her mind.

“She was an item for sale in my store for the longest time,” the man pauses to think, “Oh, I’d say a good two-hundred years or so. Used to be an old beat-up umbrella. She’s been stopping by almost every day since she awakened.” He turns to Kogasa, “And it’s been a while since I last saw you. I’d say I was worried that something happened, but then it’d sound like I care… Well, I suppose I do care, just a little bit.”

“I got hungry.” Kogasa says.

“And I suppose you just ate the man that bought you to fix that?” He seems to be making a joke.

“Yep.” Kogasa seems particularly proud of herself.

“Ah, I see,” the man is however visibly unsettled by her words, “Well, such is the way of life out in the back country. It’s a dog-eat-dog world out there, no matter what the tabloids say.”

“You mean youkai-eat-human?” I smile.

“If I were speaking in a literal sense, then yes,” the man snickers, “It’s a bit of a shame though, I kinda liked the old guy.”

“Yeah, me too.” Kogasa rubs her belly, “He was tasty.”

“Don’t expect me to praise you or anything,” his eyes narrow, “Rather, why don’t we change the subject? Talking about eating humans makes me both uneasy and hungry at the same time.”

There’s an unusual statement I’ve never heard before. Well, I’d heard about humans that eat other humans, but I never thought I’d actually get to meet one. My curiosity does not permit me to stay quiet, and I step forward.

“Saaay~” I lean over the man’s desk, “You’re a cannibal, aren’t you~?”

“No,” he shoots back, “I’m not. There’s far too few half-youkai out there for me to cannibalize.”

“A half-breed?” Now I’ve seen everything, “Are you pulling my leg?”

“I wish I was,” he sighs, “trust me. Now, you said you were hungry?”

Very!”

“Good. I’m afraid I don’t have any human meat, but one of the regulars did leave me a good-sized side of beef, if you don’t mind waiting around a bit for it to finish cooking. I don’t expect it’ll be much longer.”

“Ah, but—“ I have to consider this. I have time to spare. If a human settlement isn’t much farther away I may as well stick around. On the other hand, do I really want to spoil my appetite?

>
>> No. 122890
[x] Hit on him
>> No. 122898
[x] Hit on him

It can't go wrong.
>> No. 122900
[x] Eat here.
We should go grab the rest of the crew. I'm sure Kourin wouldn't mind if we pay for the meal. Shou is stuffy enough to pay in our stead, too.
>> No. 122902
[x] Call over the others
[x] Eat here
>> No. 122906
[x] Hit on him
>> No. 122912
>>122900
[X]Call the others over.

Rinnosuke will probably be able to help them out. If we do good, Shou won't be mad. If Shou isn't mad, it's easier to get along with everyone else. If we get along with everyone else, Minamitsu will be happy.
>> No. 122913
[x] Eat here.

Rinnosuke is probably gay and hitting on him seems out of character for Nue.
>> No. 122920
[X] Eat here.
Make sure that Kogasa gets some food. It should help, maybe she'll be as smart as two bricks.
>> No. 122924
[X] Eat here.

Cooked meat always tastes better.
>> No. 122927
[X] Eat here.
-[x] Ask him about the matter of half-youkais while trying not to pry.

With some food in us, we can go hunting better and it'd prevent Kogasa from doing something stupid. Also a Ichirin doesn't eat any kind of meat.

Nue would be more interested in the whole concept of a half-breed than any possible romance.
>> No. 122938
>side of beef
Uh...

You do know that a side of beef is a whole huge hell of a lot of meat? As I recall, it's essentially half the cow.
>> No. 122940
[x] Call over the others
[x] Eat here

Dinner problem solved, plus it gets them familiar with the world they've been locked away from for so long. Or maybe that was just Murasa.

Either way, it works.
...Well, except for Ichirin. He should have tofu or something somewhere, though.
>> No. 122944
>>122938
Here I thought we were inviting the crew over to share a single steak.
>> No. 122946
>>122944
same here; I hope Rinnosuke won't mind all the extra company. Not sure if Murasa can leave the ship or not.
>> No. 122973
>>122938
It is indeed half a cow minus guts, skin and sometimes legs. Somebody is obviously very generous.
>> No. 123093
File 128442184935.jpg - (637.90KB , 800x800 , touhou and his danmaku.jpg ) [iqdb]
123093
“But… what?” He seems to be pressuring me to stay; I can only guess at his reasons, “Come on, stay a while. I couldn’t even hope to eat all of it, and I’d hate for it to go bad.”

“We’ll stay!” Kogasa says cheerfully, running up beside me and leaning over the counter.

“I don’t see the harm in staying a while,” I nod, thinking it might be a good idea to have a look around in the meantime.

“Ah, I see you eyeballing the goods,” the man smiles, “Everything in and around the building is for sale, but do also note that I’m well aware that youkai very seldom carry any money.”

“Ah, I see.” I laugh, “Well, if anything catches my eye I’ll make sure it disappears when you’re not looking.”

“That’s funny,” he smiles wryly, “because I’m never not looking. I have a few regulars who do nothing but try and steal from me, so I’ve developed a bit of an eye for shoplifters.”

He seems to realize that I was joking with him. This man is very perceptive for a human… er, half human. Actually, he never did outright state he was half-human; just half-youkai. And seeing as human form can be deceiving here, it’s entirely possible that depending on the species of youkai this man might just be half dog. I have an irresistible desire to ask him more.

“Say,” I sit on the counter, facing him, “if you’re half-youkai, what else half are you?”

The man’s face turns bright red in an instant, and he holds a hand to his face, “Er, please don’t sit on the counter.”

“I’m asking you a question~” I lean forward, “Are you half human? Or half something else?”

“I’m half-human, definitely,” He takes off his glasses, “So please get off of the counter!”

“Hmph!” I do as he asks, wondering what just went wrong with the man just now. His response was awfully rude, so perhaps I hit a nerve? Maybe he really is half dog and refuses to admit to— Kogasa pulls me aside to where the man can’t see.

She lifts up my skirt and takes a good hard look.

“What?” I’m thoroughly confused now. What significance does my skirt have—

Oh. Oh! I see now!

“Nue,” Kogasa whispers, making it plainly obvious to me what the issue is, “You’re not wearing any underpants!”

“…And?” Of course I had realized it a moment before she had said anything, so it comes as no surprise now, “Is there a problem?”

“He saw!”

“Did he?” My mind jumps back to his uncomfortable response to my questioning.

Yes!

“Ah, so he did.”

That explains his reaction to my sitting on the counter. I thought it was odd that he suddenly seemed to be avoiding making eye contact. I suppose it’s his human half that makes him react so awkwardly to seeing a bit of skin? I don’t understand it.

“…Aren’t you embarrassed?” Kogasa asks, still trying to be secretive. I lean over to take a peek back at the man and his counter, but all he seems to be doing is cleaning his glasses at least pretending to be perfectly fine.

“No,” I say plainly, “Should I be?”

“…Nevermind,” she walks around me back into view, sufficiently satisfied by my answer.

“When’s food?” she asks the man.

“Er, soon. Yes, soon.” His face turns red again as I walk back up. I stand still as his eyes move toward the wall.

“…What?” I cross my arms, a little frustrated with him.

“It’s nothing,” he says, adding somewhat more quietly, “Nothing at all.”

“Hmm~”

In all honesty, I wasn’t expecting such a strong reaction from him. Nor had I anticipated something so pervasive; he seems to be avoiding looking and speaking to me at all costs now, despite my having thought nothing of it. Humans are indeed very strange creatures.

I wonder if it would be wrong of me to have a little fun at his expense while I wait for the food.

>
>> No. 123096
>I wonder if it would be wrong of me to have a little fun at his expense while I wait for the food.
[x] And in the middle of pondering this, I suddenly realized I never cared in the first place. Let's do it.
>> No. 123101
[x] Bug him to see if he's attracted by girls, or if he's... not attracted by girls.
>> No. 123104
>>123093
[X]Ask if he wants to inspect you for shoplifted goods.
>> No. 123108
>>123104
[x] Conspicuously stuff several expensive looking items down your dress
[X]Ask if he wants to inspect you for shoplifted goods.
>> No. 123109
[x] Conspicuously stuff several expensive looking items down your dress
[X]Ask if he wants to inspect you for shoplifted goods.
>> No. 123122
I'm not sure Nue knows what looks expensive, so that seems off.

On the other hand, seeing just how she can fuck around with people using a human body, purely to see the kind of reactions it gets (and whether or not that will be useful in feeding, what with the nightmares and all) seems maybe sort of her.

Messing with people, at least, is very Nue, isn't it?
>> No. 123134
[x] Conspicuously stuff several expensive looking items down your dress
[X]Ask if he wants to inspect you for shoplifted goods.
>> No. 123140
>>123122
> I'm not sure Nue knows what looks expensive, so that seems off.
Shiny baubles and very old things. Same deal as crows.
>> No. 123148
>>123101
Changing my vote to:
[x] Conspicuously stuff several expensive looking items down your dress
[X]Ask if he wants to inspect you for shoplifted goods.
But I add:
-[x] Return them after.

Shou will be more than annoying if she learns about our shoplifting habit.
>> No. 123160
[x] Conspicuously stuff several old and or shiny looking items down your dress
[X]Ask if he wants to inspect you for shoplifted goods.
But I add:
-[x] Return them after.

Actually stealing stuff from a junk heap like this would be beneath our dignity.
>> No. 123165
[X] Conspicuously stuff several old and or shiny looking items down your dress
[X]Ask if he wants to inspect you for shoplifted goods.
-[X] Return them after.
>> No. 123173
[X] Conspicuously stuff several old and or shiny looking items down your dress
[X]Ask if he wants to inspect you for shoplifted goods.

We still have to find food for the crew, later on. Well, if this doesn't take too long, there shouldn't be any problem.
>> No. 123174
File 128448698975.jpg - (6.63KB , 103x123 , 1275599164377.jpg ) [iqdb]
123174
>>123148
>>123160
>>123165
So you're in the habit of murdering but stealing is taboo? On top of that it's taboo because you're scared big sis shou is going to spank you?
Words fail me to describe this stupidity, pic sadly related.
>> No. 123184
>>123174
Don't really have much to gain from stealing since he's going to feed us anyway.
And whether or not Nue is scared of Shou, there's not much we can do about Shou getting annoying if something pisses her off.
>> No. 123187
>>123174
We won't have any uses for those object, since we can modify our body. There is no interest in keeping them.
>> No. 123190
>Nue actually stealing stuff
Why? What the shit is Rinnosuke going to have that's actually of use to anyone us?

Anything we do need we can get by guilting Murasa into it because she wuv us, or by tricking Shou into giving it to us, or just take it from some corpse.
>> No. 123194
>>123190
Nue is not wearing underwear, and the two votes are for

"Conspicuously stuff several old and or shiny looking items down your dress " and

"Ask if he wants to inspect you for shoplifted goods."

2+2=?
>> No. 123195
2+2= exploring new and interesting ways to annoy-embarrass terrify people.
>> No. 123199
>>123194
I'm all for this. I was commenting on the apparent sentiment regarding Nue's 'uncharacteristic' reluctance to filch Rinnosuke's stock.
>> No. 123203
[X] Conspicuously stuff several old and or shiny looking items down your dress
[X]Ask if he wants to inspect you for shoplifted goods.
>> No. 123210
>>123195
I doubt it'd work; Rinnosuke does have to deal with Yukari of all people.
>> No. 123335
File 128466886698.jpg - (893.11KB , 1066x1492 , This matches the situation a little too perfectly.jpg ) [iqdb]
123335
Ah, but this is an opportunity I cannot afford to pass up! Not only will it help to dull my boredom, but it may show me a thing or two about humans I may not have known before. Regardless, his reaction is awfully amusing.

“Nothing at all, was it?” I say, lifting the ends of my skirt just slightly. I intend to tease this halfbreed, not put on a show, so he doesn’t get to see anything more than a little thigh.

He reacts again by blushing and averting his eyes, babbling something about decency. I lean up against the counter and stare at the man. His eyes glance down at me now and again, but his intention is most certainly to avoid making eye contact. Booring~ I already saw him react this sway once, and seeing the same thing over again is no fun at all, so I decide to experiment a bit.

“Wh-what’s with that look?” He asks, slowly turning his head back to me. I now notice my stares have intensified a bit and he seems to think I have become angry with him. I choose to let him believe that I am, and act accordingly.

“You saw, didn’t you?” I lean forward, trying to look upset as the man scotches his chair back.

“Ah, whatever could you mean?” He asks, playing dumb. I know he had a good look at me a moment ago, and he knows as well. What could be the point of trying to hide it, I wonder? What sort of human instinct exists that could possibly compel him to behave so awkwardly.

“You know exactly what I mean,” I say, giving him a cold stare for his troubles as I step back over to the… ‘wares’, if one could call all of this junk that. I find a nice little something just bleeding its energy into the air around it, and hold it up for him to see. “So give me this in exchange!”

“What…?” He seems confused, but mostly upset that I would even think to demand something of him for his poorly placed passing glance, “Hey, you put that back!”

“Nuh-uh!” I stuff it down my shirt, “I think I’ll keep it.” If his reactions to my advances so far speak true, he wouldn’t even think of reaching down my clothes to take it back. I take full advantage of his cowardice and smile.

“If you’re going to steal something right in front of me, might I make a suggestion?” He grins. I’m sure he has something devious on the tip of his tongue, so why wait for me to acknowledge him? This man’s actions makes less and less sense as time goes on. Oh well, I play along out of curiosity.

“What would that be?” I ask, stepping back up to the counter.

“How about some underwear instead?”

I laugh, “Hah! That’s a good one!” I pull out the trinket and hand it back, “Alright, you win. I give.”

If I pester the man any further he may be unwilling to treat me to a meal, and I can’t let that happen. As it stands now he still seems to be in somewhat good spirits, though he scowls at me as he takes the device and wipes it off before standing and putting it back on the shelf. Meh, I had no use for the device anyway, so I have no reason to actually try and keep it. Still, the look on his face when I took it was priceless!

And then, I notice something else has gone missing.

“Kogasa!” I yell off into the store, looking behind the nearest shelves. I hadn’t even seen her walk off, and I can only suppose she wanted nothing to do with me when I started teasing the man behind the counter. I find her ignoring me by the rack of metal sticks she had been browsing when I walked in.

“Ah, there you are!” I take her hand and pull, but she seems too engrossed in the items in front of her to respond.

She takes one and goes back up to the counter, “Hey mister, can I have this one?”

He adjusts his glasses, ignoring me as I step up beside her.

“I’m afraid not,” he says,”I don’t have any ammunition for it, and I believe it’s missing a firing pin. I’d rather not sell a broken piece of equipment if I can help it, but I do admire your taste in firearms.”

“I just liked the color,” Kogasa has an odd look on her face, “But oh well…” Dejectedly, she walks to put it away.

“You know,” I lean over the counter again, watching the man closely as he backs away expecting me to try something else, “You could just let her have it.”

“I could, but that one’s a personal favorite.” He smiles and shrugs, “Ah, I should go check to see if the food’s ready…”

He steps away from his desk, leaving the store unattended briefly. During his absence I hear the door chime go off. I know it couldn’t be Kogasa leaving because I can see her in the aisles, and the man had gone off in the other direction.

>
>> No. 123344
>Rinnosuke
>personal favorite gun
>whatamireading
>> No. 123347
[x] Follow Kogasa. Make sure that she's not doing something stupid. Or silly. Or both. In fact, make sure she's not doing anything.
>> No. 123353
[x]>>123347
>> No. 123365
[x] Follow Kogasa. Make sure that she's not doing something stupid. Or silly. Or both. In fact, make sure she's not doing anything.
[x] Think up how you're going to sell the dinner idea to Shou & Co.
>> No. 123367
[X] look at the door
>> No. 123375
[x]Follow Kosaga, make sure she does something stupid but harmless
>> No. 123386
[x]Follow Kosaga, make sure she does something stupid but harmles
[x] Think up how you're going to sell the dinner idea to Shou & Co.
>> No. 123400
[X] Follow Kogasa. Make sure that she's not doing something stupid. Or silly. Or both. In fact, make sure she's not doing anything.
[X] Think up how you're going to sell the dinner idea to Shou & Co.
>> No. 123406
>>123347
Changing my vote to:
[x] Follow Kogasa. Make sure that she's not doing something stupid. Or silly. Or both. In fact, make sure she's not doing anything.
[x] Think up how you're going to sell the dinner idea to Tiger & Co.
>> No. 123426
>>123367
Changing to:
[x]Follow Kosaga, make sure she does something stupid but harmles
[x] Think up how you're going to sell the dinner idea to Shou & Co.
>> No. 123479
File 128493213659.jpg - (145.53KB , 640x900 , What do youkai hate more than armpit mikos.jpg ) [iqdb]
123479
This man’s customers are none of my business and I could care less to even meet them let alone have one try and strike up a conversation. I bet they’re all human customers anyway, and once you’ve met one human you’ve met them all. I wouldn’t even be able to make a meal of one in this setting! So I head down the farthest aisle from the shop’s counter after Kogasa, watching her carefully as she browses the wares. She turns to me all of a sudden.

“Some pretty neat stuff here,” she says with a smile, “I don’t know what any of it does!”

“That makes two of us,” I grumble, watching as she lifts up a grayish-white box with a flap on top. She turns it over and inspects it, trying to read some words stamped on the back. I can’t get a good look at the object, but it’s at least clear to me that something goes inside the flap on top. Ah, but I don’t know what that would be, so no use in thinking about it.

“Mmmn…” She groans, staring hard at the item before dropping it where she found it, “I can’t read it.”

“Lemme see…” I try my hand, hoping to best the girl’s intellect… But much to my dismay it’s written in another language than what I am capable of comprehending. The characters are simple in design, but having never seen something like this before I wouldn’t know where to start. One must have a base of knowledge to work from when learning a new alphabet, and I have nothing of the sort, so trying to read it is an exercise in futility.

I find it interesting though that a simple little box with letters and a flap could stump the both of us so easily. Its purpose is a mystery too; the box is made out of some strange lightweight material that I’ve never come across before and doesn’t seem to be carved by hand. It also doesn’t seem to hold any magical properties, so I doubt it could have been constructed by a mage. I’ve honestly never encountered nothing like it, and everything about it perplexes me. I would like to take it back with me, but I’ve nothing in the way of human currency. I might simply take it with me.

“Hellooo~?” A voice comes from the front of the store, “Anybody here?”

I peek my head out to get a better look. A woman in a long blue dress stands at the counter, looking about aimlessly in search of anyone who can help her. She seems to be at somewhat of a loss, and quite angry for being ignored. I duck back as her eyes turn my way.

“What should we do?” Kogasa whispers, staying close behind me.

“Nothing, it’s none of our concern,” I say, “Furthermore, why are you acting so scared?”

“I’m not,” Kogasa whines, “Can’t you smell it?”

“Smell what?” I ask, wondering what has Kogasa acting all strange. Has she met the woman before? Perhaps robbed or tried to kill the woman before? I don’t understand how smell factors into her logic at all… Perhaps Kogasa’s nose is more sensitive than mine and she’s noticed something, or perhaps the woman has soiled herself. Heh.

I lean back over to get a better look, but not much has changed. The shopkeeper’s post is still abandoned, and the woman doesn’t seem capable of waiting much longer. Kogasa seems loathe to as much as look at the woman for some reason, and slowly slinks back into the aisle away from her and myself.

Aaarrgh!!” the woman in blue stamps her foot and throws her hat on the counter, “What the hell does it take to get a bit of decent service around here?!”

I think to myself, in this sort of situation I know exactly what I should do!

>
>> No. 123480
{x] Act like a shopkeeper, sell her lot of stuff, and show to Rinnosuke that you're better than him.
>> No. 123489
{x] Act like a shopkeeper and annoy the hell out of her.
>> No. 123490
[X] Play a little game of pretend. She's the angry customer, demanding service. You are the willing shopkeeper, who wishes to please her. Show her what it means to have good customer service.

With sexy results.
>> No. 123496
[x] Ignore the irritating bitch and go eat some food.
Fuck this shit.
>> No. 123500
>>123489
Changing my vote to:
[X] Play a little game of pretend. She's the angry customer, demanding service. You are the willing shopkeeper, who wishes to please her. Show her what it means to have good customer service.
>> No. 123502
[X] Play a little game of pretend. She's the angry customer, demanding service. You are the willing shopkeeper, who wishes to please her. Show her what it means to have good customer service.
>> No. 123503
I have a bad feeling about Keine.
>> No. 123504
>>123503
That's not Keine.
>> No. 123506
[x] Shapeshift into Rinnosuke.
[X] Play a little game of pretend. She's the angry customer, demanding service. You are the willing shopkeeper, who wishes to please her. Show her what it means to have good customer service.
>> No. 123507
[x] Play a little game of pretend. She's the angry customer, demanding service. You are the willing shopkeeper, who wishes to please her. Show her what it means to have good customer service.
Mwahahahaha.
>> No. 123509
[x] Shapeshift into Rinnosuke (unless this will take up more of Nue's remaining power).
-[x] Screw with her.
>> No. 123516
[x] Play a little game of pretend. She's the angry customer, demanding service. You are the willing shopkeeper, who wishes to please her. Show her what it means to have good customer service.
>> No. 123575
File 128509572454.jpg - (882.79KB , 1254x1771 , even without mentioning names you know who it is.jpg ) [iqdb]
123575
I waltz right on up to the front counter, maintaining an air of authority as I approach the girl. In the background I hear Kogasa call after me to come back, but I ignore her. I hop over the counter and have a seat in the man’s chair as the girl walks up looking irritated.

“Took you long enou—“ she pauses, blinks. Obviously she doesn’t recognize me, but she seems to have bought the ruse, “Wait, who are you?”

“The place is under new management,” I smile, “You know how it goes. So what can I do you for?”

“…Rinnosuke sold the joint? Really?” she scowls, unwittingly giving me the man’s name as she peers down over to inspect me, “I don’t quite believe that, but whatever. You do have the armor I requested ready, do you not?”

“Do I?” Uh oh, I don’t know what she’s talking about. Time to act cool and play dumb, “Well I’m a little new here, so you’ll have to refresh my memory…”

“Oh, die!” she becomes suddenly irritated… more irritated than before, if it were ever possible. “You don’t even work here, do you? You’re just another one of those smelly little bottom-feeding youkai crawling about down here, aren’t you? Where’s Rinnosuke?!”

“Right here,” says the half-breed man, walking back around the counter. Almost immediately he sees me and frowns, “and no, she doesn’t work here… Can I have my chair back?”

“Food ready yet?” I ask, giving up my seat.

“Give it another ten minutes,” he turns back to the woman with a smile, “Ahh yes, so the item you requested is ready, but…”

He seems worried about something. Perhaps the item in question was damaged or somehow destroyed and is now in an unusable condition? I stand by idly and wait to see what transpires.

“…But, what?” The woman asks, scowling and equally worried about the state of her requested item. Though I think she’s more upset with the unnecessary delays more than anything.

“There’s a demon sealed within it… Or rather, the armor itself is a demon in a controlled physical form, but the protections placed upon it seem too weak to really contain it properly. I honestly don’t think you should be wearing it around. The slightest scratch would likely rele—“

“Who said I’d be wearing it?” she leans over the counter, grabbing at the man’s shirt, “Who said anybody would be wearing it at all? Go ahead and bring it out, why don’t you? Let me see it already!

“Alright then,” Rinnosuke shrugs, “but don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

“I’m well aware of what it is too, so no more of your uneducated explanations either!” the woman shouts as he walks back to a small cubbyhole behind his desk and begins rummaging around in a pile of junk.

What he brings back hardly looks like body armor at all. At least, not in any traditional sense. What he sets upon the counter is pure white and unblemished, but only a breastplate… and an oddly misshapen one at that. It appears similar to what a normal full plate of armor would look like if it were thrown back into a furnace and halfway melted down before left to cool. I doubt wearing it would be particularly comfortable, though it does look to be rather stunning as a decorative piece. I can feel it not so much bleeding out it’s aura as sucking in the energy from around it.

“I must say though,” Rinnosuke smirks, “I went through quite a bit of trouble tracking this one down. It won’t come cheap, I’m afraid.”

“Of course,” she doesn’t seem to care, “but it’s a family treasure and I’d hate to see some grubby bottom-dweller wearing it around.”

“…and risk releasing a demon? I doubt any of us are as dumb as that.”

“It’s better to not assume those sorts of things, shopkeep, so I’ll be taking this off your hands now,” she lifts the armor from the desk and starts to walk away. He doesn’t chase or call after her, “I’ll have payment to you within the week. You know I’m good for it.”

“Aaaargh!” he lets out an exasperated groan once the door chime signifies her having left the building, “That woman gets on my neeerves!”

“I can see why,” I finally speak up, having sat by and allowed his business to conclude without interruption, “but what was it she carried off just now?”

“Some kind of magic-absorbing armor,” he sighs, “Artifacts like that are fairly common, but most of the time they don’t rely on the power of a demon to do the absorbing. In this day and age there’s plenty of other ways to go about it. It’s either very old or very powerful, and I’m glad to be rid of it. Who knows what would’ve happened had the demon been released in here! I’d be ruinedand homeless!

“Food ready?” I bring his attention back to more important topics.

“An impatient one, aren’t you?” he smiles somewhat more kindly that what he had shown the woman in blue, “I suppose now is a good a time as any.”

He stands and walks off. My first urge is to follow him, but he doesn’t seem to want to allow me into the back area… So I follow him anyway.

“Look,” he turns to me before passing the threshold, “could you maybe wait here? The living portion of my house is a bit of a wreck.”

“After having seen the rest of it,” I nod, looking back at the ‘store portion’ and all the clutter, “I think I know what to expect.”



…I didn’t know what to expect. I take a step forward into a land of trash, dirty dishes, and smelly clothing. None of it is too appealing to the eyes or nose, and rather than take a step further into this jungle of filth I turn back into the store.

“Yep, you were right.” I say plainly, wondering how a human could live in such an environment. Is the mess a byproduct of human industriousness maybe? Perhaps all humans live in filth. Do they enjoy it? I would assume not, but as the woman in blue said, ‘It’s better to not assume those sorts of things’.

“Say,” I add as an afterthought, reminding myself of the fact that among the piles of garbage brews a pot of delicious meat stew. “You wouldn’t happen to have an issue with bugs, would you? I’d rather not have them contaminating the stew.”

“Well,” he says, grunting as he tries to clear a path through the mess, “I do have the occasional pest, but that’s business for you. I have wards in place to keep unwanted animals out of this side of my house.”

“So you’re some kind of sorcerer, then?”

“Nope, I had a friend to it for me…” He pauses, “When it comes to living arrangements, we take after each other I suppose, so she really doesn’t mind the mess so much.”

Ah, I can smell it now! …The stew that is, not the garbage. I lean back through the curtain that separates the two rooms and peer inside. I see him carrying a large pot out of the mess. He quickly passes me by and takes the pot up to the front counter. With a heavy thud it hits the surface of the desk, and after wiping a bit of sweat from his brow he passes around bowls.

I call Kogasa over and away from whatever it was she had been doing since I left her, and hand her a bowl of her own. I notice he’s strangely brought out a fourth bowl, but there are only three of us present. Who is the fourth, I wonder. Perhaps he was expecting guests?

Ignoring that, we eat. By any standards the soup is bland, but having used a rather flavorless meat as a base I had expected it would be so. Still, I can’t get enough of it. My body tells me to eat as much of it as I can, and I slowly find myself recovering a bit of strength. Kogasa has the lion’s share of the pot, and Rinnosuke has only one or two bowls. The entire pot disappears within moments of having brought it out, and all in all I say it was worth the few moments of time wasted here.

“I’m full~” says Kogasa, patting her belly as Rinnosuke clears away the used dishes. No doubt they will soon find themselves as a new addition to his garbage dump shortly.

“We should probably get going,” I tell Kogasa, but she seems intent on staying around for a bit longer.

Well, I suppose I could leave her here, but I’d rather she come with me seeing as this whole little excursion was initiated because she couldn’t control herself. Simply put, the reason I’m here now and not lazing about on the ship is her fault.

>
>> No. 123582
[x] Now back on the hunt for something for the others.
-[x] Ask Rinnosuke where a nice spot to gather non-meat/hunt non-human meat.
>> No. 123585
[x] Now back on the hunt for something for the others.
-[x] Ask Rinnosuke if he's really going to use all that meat before it goes bad.

Given that we did not transform into Rinnosuke, I take it Nue either can't transform into people yet, or she doesn't have enough power to do so, yet.
>> No. 123601
[x] Now back on the hunt for something for the others.
-[x] Ask Rinnosuke if he's really going to use all that meat before it goes bad.
-[x] Ask Kogasa to remain here for now
Yeah/.
>> No. 123603
[x]>>123585
>> No. 123608
[x] Now back on the hunt for something for the others.
-[x] Ask Rinnosuke if he's really going to use all that meat before it goes bad.
>> No. 123614
[x] Now back on the hunt for something for the others.
[x] Ask Rinnosuke if he's really going to use all that meat before it goes bad.
[X] Take Kogasa.
>> No. 123620
>>123614
I thing going back on the hunt more or less implies taking her with.
>> No. 123629
[x] Now back on the hunt for something for the others.
[x] Ask Rinnosuke if he's really going to use all that meat before it goes bad.
>> No. 123692
Busy week, busy weekend. Updates are likely to be slow until next week.
>> No. 123742
File 128539580066.jpg - (635.84KB , 880x1000 , read the story not the image filename.jpg ) [iqdb]
123742
And being her fault, she has no right to complain when I decide it’s time to go. As much as I’d like to hang around and have a look at some of this amazing junk Rinnosuke has accumulated, I don’t think it nice of me to be the only one with a decent meal.

…Well, Kogasa ate too, but there’s a ship full of starving youkai that I’ve left behind that for some reason or another I’d rather not abandon. I suppose it would be an easy task for me to forget about them and enjoy myself, but then what kind of youkai would I be? A proper one is the answer, but until I feel like a proper youkai I can’t truly act like one. I need food with a little more… substance. The meat of some bovine will give me a menial amount of energy alone, but without the necessary elements of terror that only humans possess I cannot regain my powers.

So I grab Kogasa by the arm and pull her towards the door. But before I leave, I turn to Rinnosuke who has just retaken his post behind the counter.

“Say,” I ask on a whim, “You said you had a whole side of beef. Isn’t that like half of an animal? Are you really going to need that much?”

“Well I had planned for a little get-together later in the evening, so I suppose so. You two just happened to stop by as I was trying out a new recipe for stew that I wanted to share.” He pauses, looking a little uncertain, “Well, was it any good?”

“More salt!” Kogasa offers her opinion happily, squeezing my arm to the brink of strangulation as she jumps up and down.

“That’s enough out of you!” I hold her down as I push for the door, and I turn to Rinnosuke one last time, “Well, we’ll just be going then. Thanks for the meal!”

“Anytime,” I hear him say as the door slams shut behind me.

Kogasa groans and mumbles something about how she wanted to stay longer, but I remind her of our initial purpose. It would seem that amidst all of the interesting things to do in this shop she had lost sight of what we even came out here for, and once I remind her she points me in the direction of the human settlement.

It begins to become apparent soon enough that we are nearing a human establishment. The moment I step over tilled soil I have no doubts. We’re close! But the fields are barren. It’s winter after all, and harvest season is over. The only remaining edible items are stalks and roots that have been turned over into the frozen dirt.

…I wonder, to have not removed the remaining plant matter, are these humans lazy or just plain dumb? Should fields not be cleared completely after a harvest? Not knowing these things for certain is a bit of a bother, but what use would a youkai have for such knowledge? We neither eat plants nor do we have a need to grow them. Well, most youkai are like that. I’m sure there are a few exceptions.

And as we plod along, we encounter our first human! It’s a juvenile—a child, but she neither acts fearful nor does she run for us as we come up to her. I feel sick; she even waves at us!

Ah, not that I would dare consume a child. The human instinct for retribution would only be heightened; plus they don’t taste very good. The meat is tender but flavorless, and there isn’t much of it. This nue would rather have a big fish to munch on, not one so small and skinny as this.

The human child says hello, and speaks to us as if we were one of her own kind. She even points us in the direction of a nearby farmhouse and a much more easily infiltrated granary when asked. I decide to have Kogasa serve as a lookout as we approach the human establishment while I jump in and grab a sack or two of rice. Ah, and lucky me, for there are no humans guarding the building!

Of course, were I in top shape I’d simply adjust my form to enter the building undetectable, but alas! No such luck! I crawl in through an open loft window as Kogasa watches for humans. I keep my eyes peeled too.

I don’t have to look far. I spot a human male inside just below me, tending to a stack of clay pots that no doubt store whatever crops they had harvested previously. He hasn’t spotted me, and I decide upon how to approach this situation.

>
>> No. 123745
[x]Drop from the window and knock his bitch-ass out.
Than we can swiftly devour him while he is unconscious.
>> No. 123755
[x] Mess with his head. Let him die terrified as he has never been in his life.
>> No. 123757
[x] Change yourself. Become Shou. Scare the shit out of him.

Time to use your new strength. Now that you ate, you can transfrom, right? Right?
>> No. 123766
[X]Rape
>> No. 123773
[x] Mess with his head. Let him die terrified as he has never been in his life.
>> No. 123775
[x] Mess with his head. Let him die terrified as he has never been in his life.

Terrified humans is the point of eating human meat.
>> No. 123780
[X] (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) I AM NUE! I WILL EAT YOU!
>> No. 123791
I dunno guys, something smells here. This was far too easy. The fact that a young human waved us by seemingly without a care in the world seems weird. Why would her guard be down if youkai can come straight into the village and eat humans. This could potentially blow up our faces since both the girl and Rinnosuke could identify us if this action kicks up a shitstorm.
>> No. 123799
>>123791
Anything Rinnosuke said we could just lie about, as he doesn't have shit for proof, and we can always just eat the little girl. No witnesses.
>> No. 123831
>>123799
It still remains that the ship would appear the same day someone gets killed in the barn, if the story is collaborated by the girl then while we may be fine, the crew probably won't be.

On the other hand however, Rinnosuke seems extremely understanding of Youkai needs. He doesn't even really bat an eye at the news that one of his customers was devoured by a product he sold.
>> No. 123836
>>123831
>story is collaborated by the girl
Not if we eat her too. The villagers would only have conjecture to connect the attack to the ship/crew. The fact of the matter is that nobody would have proof we did this.
>> No. 123838
>>123831
>>123836
having blame falling on the ship would be the last thing we need as Shou would be quick to sell us out.
>> No. 123850
[x] Time to eat.
>> No. 123862
Hey Snake?, can you clarify something?

Does Nue --at least, as you write her-- feed on the emotion of terror itself, or does she actually physically eat people? I understood it to be the former, but people seem to be thinking it's the latter, and I'd like to get the air cleared, here.
>> No. 123867
>>123862
Both, I think.
>> No. 123899
>>123862

It's both. One can be without the other, but the effect it has won't be as great.
>> No. 123937
>>123899
Oh, it is? Well, that makes things different.
>> No. 123966
Updates probably by tomorrow. I'll post the new thread link here as usual.
>> No. 124038
New thread.

>>124037
>> No. 126267
>>123174
>Shou spanking Nue

totallyfinewiththat.jpg