- [Settings] [Home
[Show or hide post box]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Bottom]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (Reply to 33649)
Message
File
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Further overview of board culture in this thread.
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • View catalog

File 132171761212.jpg - (80.33KB, 516x600, 124822499579.jpg) [iqdb]
33649 No. 33649
Finally. Although you knew what you wanted to do with your life long before you came of age, it certainly took you long enough after doing so to build up a decent nest egg for it. Your former boss didn't pay the best, but he was the only tailor that was hiring, and you needed to learn if you wanted to open a shop of your own. You're pretty sure he kept back a few tricks of the trade, but you know enough to make rough but serviceable clothing.

That's all behind you now, though, and you gaze at the village paperwork for opening a new shop in your hands. All you need to do is fill it out and wait for it to be processed, and the village will have a new clothing shop in the abandoned lot that's on the way to the Hakurei Shrine.

At least legally. As of yet, you haven't gotten a means of construction or done anything to make your store stand out, so if nothing changes, your shop will be dead in the water. Luckily, shops are approved for commerce just before harvest, which just passed, so you have about a year to advertise, learn more about tailoring, find new sources of materials, and get your shop built.

So why does the child of two farmers want to open a clothing shop? Well, it probably has something to do with your ability. When you are wearing a set of clothes related to a profession, you somehow gain the instincts of an expert in that profession. It seems to be related to how well-made the outfit is, although it's seemingly a bit different in the case of your casual wear. Also, you can instantly change outfits, though the magic only seems to work on clothing you yourself own.

Anyway, you propably should get to filling out those forms. Most of it is standard stuff like name, gender, purpose of shop, location of shop, although a few of the later questions suggest whoever was in charge of this was fooling around.

[x] Name:
[x] Gender:
[x]Purpose of Shop: Tailor
[x]Location of Shop: Road to Hakurei Shrine
[x]Power: Power of clothing
[x]Everyday Outfit:
[x]Favorite Headgear:

---------
Hello everybody, this is my first CYOA. Assuming you didn't immediately close your browser after reading that last bit, I might as well let people know how this story's gonna work. First off, the stuff in the first vote will be decided entirely on what seems good to me. Other votes won't work like that, though I will ignore write-ins that our character probably wouldn't do. That brings me to my next point, write-ins are always welcome, though they might be ignored. In fact, I might end up doing a system like Patchy Quest where you guys come up with the choices. Updates should be at least weekly, and I might occaisionally pop into the thread to give answers to questions you may have. Be free with criticism, as I'm only too aware that my writing is not perfect. Finally, please enjoy the story!
Expand all images
>> No. 33650
[x]Name: Flora
[x]Gender: Female
[x]Everyday Outfit: A long white dress
[x]Favorite Headgear: White flower headdress
>> No. 33652
By the way, realized I should have posted something like this. Voting for the names and stuff will go on for maybe a week, or until there are a bunch of replies. Regular voting will probably need a smaller bunch of posts to start.

As a side note, thanks to our first voter! You may not realize it, but it's a pretty neat feeling to have a vote on your very own story.
>> No. 33653
File 132172038046.png - (44.11KB, 500x461, i_hug_that_feel.png) [iqdb]
33653
>>33652
Yeah, I know.
>> No. 33654
[x] Name: Devin
[x] Gender: Male
[x]Everyday Outfit: A simple outfit consisting of greyish pants, a white shirt, and a brown vest, all of which are covered in pockets.
[x]Favorite Headgear: Fedora
>> No. 33656
[x] Name: Devin
[x] Gender: Male
[x]Everyday Outfit: A simple outfit consisting of greyish pants, a white shirt, and a brown vest, all of which are covered in pockets.
[x]Favorite Headgear: Headband
>> No. 33657
[x]Name: Flora
[x]Gender: Female
[x]Everyday Outfit: A simple outfit consisting of greyish pants, a white shirt, and a brown vest, all of which are covered in pockets.
[x]Favorite Headgear: Fedora
>> No. 33658
[x]Name: Flora
[x]Gender: Female
[x]Everyday Outfit: A long white dress
[x]Favorite Headgear: White flower headdress
>> No. 33660
[x] Name: Devin
[x] Gender: Male
[x]Everyday Outfit: A simple outfit consisting of greyish pants, a white shirt, and a brown vest, all of which are covered in pockets.
[x]Favorite Headgear: Fedora
>> No. 33661
[x] Name: Devin
[x] Gender: Male
[x]Everyday Outfit: A simple outfit consisting of greyish pants, a white shirt, and a brown vest, all of which are covered in pockets.
[x]Favorite Headgear: Fedora
>> No. 33662
File 132175454519.jpg - (73.59KB, 400x300, wat.jpg) [iqdb]
33662
> Clothes Make the Man
>[X] Gender: Female

pic related

[x]Name: Tyrone Jefferson
[x]Gender: Male
[x]Everyday Outfit: Basketball shorts with matching jersey
[x]Favorite Headgear: Red bandanna

Don't mind me, just being the first shitposter
>> No. 33663
[x]Name: Flora
[x]Gender: Female
[x]Everyday Outfit: A long white dress
[x]Favorite Headgear: White flower headdress

I prefer a more feminine and graceful female MC.
>> No. 33664
[x] Name: Devin
[x] Gender: Male
[x]Everyday Outfit: A simple outfit consisting of greyish pants, a white shirt, and a brown vest, all of which are covered in pockets.
[x]Favorite Headgear: Fedora
>> No. 33665
[x]Name: Flora
[x]Gender: Female
[x]Everyday Outfit: A long white dress
[x]Favorite Headgear: White flower headdress
>> No. 33666
It looks like there are two big ideas on what to do. There are elements I like in both of them, so I might do some combining. I'll leave voting open until tomorrow, or until a bunch more votes come through, just in case anybody else has some ideas.

>A simple outfit consisting of greyish pants, a white shirt, and a brown vest, all of which are covered in pockets.
Is this a reference to anything? Because I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

>>33662
The title is clearly referring to the MC's business making their gender irrelevant, important only as a purveyor of woven goods. It's very deep, you see.
>> No. 33667
[x]Name: Flora
[x]Gender: Female
[x]Everyday Outfit: A long white dress
[x]Favorite Headgear: White flower headdress

Don't like fedoras.
>> No. 33668
[x]Name: Flora
[x]Gender: Female
[x]Everyday Outfit: A long white dress
[x]Favorite Headgear: White flower headdress
>> No. 33669
>>33667
... Not liking fedoras is possible?

[x] Name: Devin
[x] Gender: Male
[x]Everyday Outfit: A simple outfit consisting of greyish pants, a white shirt, and a brown vest, all of which are covered in pockets.
[x]Favorite Headgear: Fedora
>> No. 33670
>>33669
It's quite possible.

[x]Name: Flora
[x]Gender: Female
[x]Everyday Outfit: A long white dress
[x]Favorite Headgear: White flower headdress
>> No. 33671
[x]Name: Flora
[x]Gender: Female
[x]Everyday Outfit: A long white dress
[x]Favorite Headgear: White flower headdress

Hope this story doesn't end up in hiatus.
>> No. 33672
>>33671
It's with great regret that I must announce that I am putting the story on hold for the foreseeable future. Just kidding.

Well, it looks like there's a number of new votes, so I'll be working on the update for a bit and then posting it.

Fedoras are okay, but a floral headdress sounds more interesting.
>> No. 33673
>>33672
what votes won exactly? Male or Female?
>> No. 33675
>>33673
Female won, plus it sounded more interesting.
>the stuff in the first vote will be decided entirely on what seems good to me.

If you guys want a rough outline of what what wins, I can include that at the beginning of each update.
>> No. 33682
File 132178918043.jpg - (565.40KB, 1280x800, Us except for the hat bow and shawl thing.jpg) [iqdb]
33682
[x] Flora Nonvintus
[x] Female
[x] Long white dress with pockets
[x] White floral headdress

Lets see... Your name, of course, is Flora Nonvintus, as it has been since you were born the second child to the farming family. You were farmers when you found your way into Gensokyo in the outside world's 1930s, and though some went off to do their own thing, such as what you're doing now, the majority stayed on their farms. It looks like your big brother Tyrone is carrying on the tradition. You don't really see what he likes about the work, but he enjoys it. You think it's a good thing for your business that he's following in the family line of work, as you're pretty sure he managed to convince your parents to stop bugging you to stay at home and help look after little Devin until you found a proper farming husband, and even offer your shop a slightly reduced price on some of the flax and cotton they grow!

Your gender, last time you checked, was female, although with you being somewhat tall for a girl, some schoolmates got a laugh from saying otherwise. That was before you started filling out, and though you're not anything special, you are now recognizably a girl.

Your attire is an odd thing to include, but you suppose the village has its reasons. You usually wear a long white cotton dress which you're rather fond of. It's casual enough for everyday wear, but good enough for special occasions. It has a number of pockets, some of which you extended the space of when you realized your former boss expected you to bring your own equipment from home. Your headwear of choice is a floral headdress of white roses you made when you were a child. You're not exactly sure why it hasn't wilted in the ten or so years since then, but you think it has something to do with your power, and how minor damage to your clothing just fixes itself up. Maybe you're constantly repairing it and keeping it from wilting?

After a number of questions, many of which you doubt you will ever know the reason for (your favorite color is white, but why does the village need to know that before you open a shop?), you fold the completed paperwork and the processing fee into an envelope and head to the village center.

You arrive, and hand the envelope to the on-duty clerk, sending your forms on their journey to be approved by next harvest.

That means you have about a year to prepare your shop for business from the ground up. The only question is what to do first. You won't get much business done without a shop, and you've heard the Hakurei Shrine has a guest who might be able to help with the heavy lifting involved in construction.

Of course, you can alway just hire somebody to build your shop, and nobody will want to shop there if you don't have anything to stand out. You've heard of interesting new materials and clothing styles coming out of the Forest of Magic, so that might be worth checking out instead.

Or you might decide to do other stuff. All sorts of things go into making a successful shop, after all.

[x] What is your course of action?
>> No. 33683
[x] Hire somebody to build your shop
[x] Go to the Forest of Magic to check those new materials and clothing styles

>Flora Nonvintus
I like this name.
>> No. 33684
File 132179657140.jpg - (24.61KB, 379x214, 1267268144448.jpg) [iqdb]
33684
>>33682
So we're Lily White?
>> No. 33687
x] Go check out the guest at the shrine
[x] Go to the Forest of Magic to check those new materials and clothing styles

Showdown with Alice.
>> No. 33688
[x] Go check out the guest at the shrine
[x] Go to the Forest of Magic to check those new materials and clothing styles
>> No. 33692
[x] Go check out the guest at the shrine
[x] Go to the Forest of Magic to check those new materials and clothing styles
>> No. 33699
File 13220096744.png - (446.31KB, 800x500, 5650292c28c7c4f1913cddf4f401f67a.png) [iqdb]
33699
[x] Go to Forest of Magic, focus on skills.

While you definitely want to get your shop built, you're not sure whether to contract somebody from the village or enlist the help of that guest who's staying at the Hakurei Shrine.

Plus, it would take a while to either find a good deal on construction or walk to the Shrine, and you want to head to the Forest of Magic to see if you can learn something from Miss Margatroid, the doll-loving magician who lives there. She's done puppet plays at village festivals since before you were born, and you heard she makes all the doll costumes herself. If that's true, she'd certainly be very knowledgeable about the art of tailoring.

The Forest of Magic extends pretty close to the village, and you start walking through it on a rough dirt path. You've heard there are a bunch of pretty nasty animals in the forest, especially the deeper parts, but you don't see any now.

The particular path you've taken leads past the Kirisame Magic Shop, and you stop in to get directions. A bell rings as you open the front door, and Miss Kirisame looks up from what appears to be a book of magic.

"You here to buy something?” she asks.

"No, you see, I was heading to Miss Margatroid's place to get some advice on tailoring, and I was hoping you would know the way." you reply.

Miss Kirisame seems to put most of her attention back to her book when she hears you aren't there for business, but she stays away from it long enough to give you a response. "Alice's place? Just keep headin' down the road and take a right at the fork, then keep going until you see a Western-type house. Can't miss it. Oh, she might be busy though; she was visiting earlier and said she was going to be doing some cleaning around the house."

Well, if she's busy, there are other things for you to do in the Forest of Magic, you reflect as you give your thanks and head off down the path.

As you begin to draw near Miss Margatroid's house, you come across what appears to be a tree. Normally, this wouldn't be so odd, as you're currently in a forest, but this particular tree is moving about slowly on its roots.

You think you've heard about this kind of animal from the stories the hunters tell. It's called a deathtree, and it spends most of its time embedded in the ground, imitiating a tree and feeding on small animals that come near it. It's mostly harmless to humans, though the really big ones are will go for larger prey like forest lions or small children. They apparently only really relocate when they find something unpleasant about their current spot.

A quick glance around shows you a number of other deathtrees, all heading in the same direction. Some appear to have gashes in their 'bark'.

Behind the mobile trees runs a pack of forest lions. They seem to be in a hurry, though not enough to start circling around you. They turn their attention away from you for a moment as a loud roar rings throughout the forest.

It's a rather large bear, not too far from you, which appears to be fighting something, or several somethings, from what you can make out through the trees. The forest lions seem to be debating whether to flee immediately or try to eat you.

[x] What is your course of action?
>> No. 33701
[x] Get closer to the bear as to disaude the lions and to see what's going on.
>> No. 33703
[x] Get closer to the bear

I don't think we can outrun those lions for long. Hopefully the bear will be able to distract them.
>> No. 33704
Hey guys, I'm going to be visiting family for Thanksgiving, so updates might be a little slow AS IF THEY WEREN'T BEFORE DOHOHOHOHO.

Anyway, It's not for too long, and I'll see if I can find some time to write.
>> No. 33705
[x] Get closer to the bear as to dissuade the lions and to see what's going on.

This is totally a good idea.
>> No. 33714
Hey guys, I'm definitely going to have time to write while I'm here.

So the reason I'm posting this is to ask what I should write:
[x]The next update (this might take longer than the other options, but it'll mean the update gets here faster)
[x] A piece about the biology and behavior of forest lions
[x]Something focusing on Tyrone, Flora's brother.
>> No. 33715
[x] A piece about the biology and behavior of forest lions

Yeah, why not? Biology is fun!
>> No. 33717
[x] A piece about the biology and behavior of forest lions

I never expected i'd be voting for biology in anything.
>> No. 33718
[x] A piece about the biology and behavior of forest lions.

Forest...lions...?

What sorcery is this?
>> No. 33719
The Forest of Magic has some nasty animals in it, so I rolled some die to see if you guys would meet some animals. I can elaborate on the exact mechanics if you guys want me to, but suffice it to say you were going to meet some animals near Alice's house.
Forest lions (and deathtrees) came from somebody's suggestion when I asked on IRC what kinds of animals would be in the forest.

An excerpt from the book "An Outsider's Guide to Gensokyan Wildlife (A reference for the rest of us)", by Seba Asakura:

Forest Lions

The forest lion is a carnivorous animal that lives and hunts in packs. As the name suggests, they are almost completely found within the confines of the Forest of Magic.

Physically, they resemble the outside worlds more well known lion, simply smaller, with a full-grown specimen being about the size of a medium-sized dog.

Some differences from the lion exist. Their claws are adapted to get better purchase on the trees of their home, and in fact a common hunting tactic is to climb a sufficiently sturdy tree and leap down in numbers when suitable prey passes beneath. Also, both sexes grow a mane. It is unknown why, but one theory states that it is to help deal with colder temperatures in the forest as opposed to the plains of 'Africa'. Whether this is true or not, it is known that their mane is warm and quite soft, and is a highly regarded clothing material.

In behavior, forest lions are similar to wolves. Unlike their larger cousins, the genders are mostly interchangable save for their reproductive capacity. Both genders hunt and look after young. Young are raised communally, with each member of the pack helping out.

Unlike wolves, forest lions are built more for short bursts of speed, and are thus mostly ambush, rather than pursuit, predators. The entire pack will climb a tree, wait for a deer or other suitable prey to pass under, then leap down all at once to grab on with their claws. They will also attempt to encircle prey items, them pounce on them once close enough. One clinger is often enough to slow down the prey long enough for the rest of the pack to catch up.

Youkaihood is acheived like most other species of animal, by living long enough or by consuming the flesh of a hermit. As of yet, there are no notable forest lion youkai, though a popular outside world book character is sometimes said to be a forest lion youkai.

In conclusion, though they are easily dealt with on their own, their danger is magnified by their tendency to travel in packs. Your best defense against them is to stay out of the Forest of Magic, or failing that, to stay on the path where there are no trees for them to hide in. If you still encounter them, you must move before the pack finishes circling you.
>> No. 33720
Now do Tyrone's bio before you post the update.
>> No. 33722
Did you guys know that buses have free WiFi?

This bio is brought to you by that fact.

Tyrone Nonvintus
Sex: Male
Occupation: Farmhand
Flora's older brother. Works on the family farm and will eventually take ownership. Wears an outside world garment called a basketball jersey, as well as a bandana. He gets them from Kourindo, where he helps out with heavy lifting during the winter. His words only travel the briefest of distances before they reach his mouth, and this can get him into trouble when he snaps at someone he doesn't respect. If he's decided he likes someone, however, he'll happily help them out a bit - if his other duties don't get in the way.
>> No. 33734
File 132269650278.jpg - (1.10MB, 3000x3450, 130073662442.jpg) [iqdb]
33734
[x] Get closer to the bear so as to dissuade the lions and to see what's going on.

You don’t hesitate, moving as what you’ve read about forest lions runs through your mind. Allowing them to completely surround you is out of the question. If just one pounces on you, it’ll slow you down enough for the rest of the pack to pile on. They can only really run in short bursts, but you don’t feel optimistic about pitting your stamina against theirs. No, it looks like the only way to get out of the frying pan…

…is to approach the fire. You quickly dart out of the hole the forest lions haven’t had time to fill yet, and duck around them to begin running towards the bear, which is still in combat. They didn’t expect you to go that direction, and though you pass reasonably close to the animals on your way, they don’t manage to react until you’re out of reach again.

You stop and look back once you’re a decent distance away from the lions. They seem prepared to go after you, and one starts forward to pursue, before the biggest one growls something and the entire pack turns and runs, one lion casting a last look back at you before leaving with the rest of its pack. You move a bit closer to the bear in case they’re considering coming back.

Now that you’re closer, you have a much better view of the bear’s opponents. They appear to be two flying little girls, flitting about and avoiding the bear’s claws. Fairies, you assume. You do notice a few odd things about them, though. One is that one of the fairies seems to have foregone danmaku in favor of a spearlike sort of weapon that’s essentially a cone of metal with a handle attached to it, which it is using to dart in and attack the much larger bear while its companion supports it with danmaku. The other oddity is that there isn’t any of the usual chatter that you get from fairies during a fight - in fact, the two are fighting in complete silence, punctuated only by the enraged roars of the bear.

As you watch, the bear scores a lucky hit on the melee fairy, and it falls to the ground in pieces, the remains not bursting into nothingness like a fairy’s body does when it dies. Whatever these things are, they’re not fairies.

Slightly more pressing is the fact that while you were examining the thing’s body, the bear rushed forward and grabbed the one shooting danmaku in its jaws. The bear bites down hard, and throws the now limp body of its foe to the ground with a twist of its head. Apparently they aren’t good to eat.

You have a sneaking suspicion the you are, as the bear lets out an enraged roar in your direction and starts charging at a frightening pace.

[x] What is your course of action?
>> No. 33735
[x] Run away as fast as you can from the bear.

Let's just hope that the bear is slower than us.
>> No. 33736
Running is useless. You can't outrun a bear so don't even try.

[x] Back away slowly

If it turns out the charge is not a bluff.
[x] Make a stand
[x] Anemia option/play dead at the last moment
>> No. 33737
[x] Back away slowly and dodge at the last moment.

Running will just make things worse.
>> No. 33738
[x] Back away slowly

If it turns out the charge is not a bluff.
[x] Make a stand
[x] Anemia option/play dead at the last moment
>> No. 33739
[X] "RAAARR, I am not afraid of you Mr. Bear! Yeah, you just back off! Right, Now!"

(What my uncle said to do in case of bears.)
>> No. 33740
>>33739
I'm sure that Flora isn't as manly as your uncle so that option wouldn't be viable.
>> No. 33748
Aight I wasen't going to vote, but it looks like you guys need a bit of help here. Remeber the MC's powers depend on the clothing she is wearing? The point of this bear exercise is to come up with something

>[x] Long white dress with pockets
>[x] White floral headdress

could represent in terms of powers.


I'm going to go with;


[X] Entangling thorns to stop bear charge.
[X] Calmly walk twords the bear picking a few flowers along the way.
[X] Manipulate the petals into razer sharp edges, slice the bear to pieces. (Try to keep it non-lethal if the bear starts looking like it's trying to run away)
>> No. 33749
>>33748
I dunno. I think that the power which we could obtain from the clothes we're wearing depends on the profession it meant to be used for.

We're currently wearing clothes not meant for work so we should be powerless.
>> No. 33752
File 132288782440.jpg - (600.04KB, 1280x1024, 1287199090031.jpg) [iqdb]
33752
[x] Back away slowly
[x] Play dead at the last moment

You first impulse is to run. All your instincts are telling you to put as much distance as you can between you and the bear, but there’s no way. Not with the bear moving that fast.

You start backing away slowly, in case it’s just trying to scare you off, but no such luck there. Your Uncle Wolfgang always says that you just need to show the bear you’re not afraid of it, but he’s a heavily muscled hunter who carries a bow almost as tall as he is, whereas you’re just a skinny girl with only some sewing needles to defend yourself.

As the bear draws near, you do the only thing you can think of and play dead. You’ve at least kept it from immediately clawing you to death once it’s within paw’s reach of you, so there’s that.

The bear examines your body for a moment, as if confused by you sudden lack of movement, then gives your hand a lick. It’d tickle if the tongue wasn’t attached to a giant bear. You stay as still as you can, hoping the bear will lose interest and go away. It doesn’t, and your hand bumps into something hard that can only be the bear’s teeth.

So this is how you’re going to die? Eaten by a bear in the Forest of Magic? If only you could use danmaku-
An image of your headdress appears in your mind, and there’s a burst of light from your hand. The bear backs away, obviously startled. Did … did you do that? You get up and wave your hand at the bear, to see if you can do it again. After a couple of tries, a single needle-shaped bullet shoots from your hand and impacts on the bear with a flash of light. Your first bullet must’ve gotten it right in the mouth.

You keep at it, but all you can really do is shoot one bullet at a time, and the bear’s hide is a lot more resistant to bullets than its mouth. Soon enough it starts lumbering forward, shrugging off the bullets you’re sending at it one by one, obviously going to just claw you open. You start to run, but then you hear-

“Shanghai two and four, go help that girl! Goliath, take care of that bear!”

A girl shouting? Glancing back, you see a short-haired blonde girl in a blue and white dress – it’s Miss Margatroid! Behind her float a number of the fairylike things from earlier, as well as a giant version of them, which is standing on the ground. Are these Miss Margatroid’s dolls? You knew she was skilled at controlling them – she had to be, to do her plays. But to be able to control them in combat?

The large one steps forward and sends the bear flying with a punch, then stomps forward to finish dealing with it. Two other dolls break off from the group and usher you over to the controller.

As you join the group, Miss Margatroid turns to you. “One of the dolls fighting the bear saw you. I feared the worst when they were destroyed, and the rest of us off were looking for that lion pack. Please, follow me to my house, it’s not far, and the least I can do is give you tea and refreshments after what’s happened to you.”

You’re still somewhat stunned, and just wordlessly nod, following Miss Margatroid to her house.

[x] What is your course of action?
>> No. 33754
>>33748
You have the right idea, but while Flora will eventually be able to do something like that if she studies magic a lot, she can't right now. Honestly, I expected you guys to climb a tree.
>> No. 33755
>>33754
Well, I thought that the bear could climb trees so...

[x] Thank Alice for rescuing you. Then, introduce yourself and tell her that you admire her dolls' clothes and you want to make them yourself. Ask her politely to teach you how to do that.
>> No. 33756
>>33755
Yeah and even trying to climb a tree in the forest or magic could be disastrous.
>> No. 33757
[x] Thank Alice for rescuing you. Then, introduce yourself and tell her that you admire her dolls' clothes and you want to make them yourself. Ask her politely to teach you how to do that.
>> No. 33760
[x] Thank Alice for rescuing you. Then, introduce yourself and tell her that you admire her dolls' clothes and you want to make them yourself. Ask her politely to teach you how to do that.
>> No. 33761
[X] I had that bear right where I wanted him. oh well, I guess you saved me a bit of mana.
[X] Nice threads by the way. Who made them?

Do not want generic female personality.
>> No. 33762
>>33761
Do not want smug female personality.
>> No. 33763
File 132314465494.jpg - (240.79KB, 900x800, 15545cffd27c94e7ecc7bcd643bf1b26.jpg) [iqdb]
33763
[x] Thank Alice for rescuing you. Then, introduce yourself and tell her that you admire her dolls' clothes and you want to make them yourself. Ask her politely to teach you how to do that.

As you walk with Miss Margatroid and her dolls down the forest path to her home, you introduce yourself and profusely thank her for saving your life. She shakes her head sadly, saying, “No, I’m afraid I’m also the reason you were in danger. I was clearing out the woods near my house today, and must have driven those animals straight into you.”

“You couldn’t have known I was going to visit you today, and you saved me in the end. That’s worth thanks as far as I’m concerned,” you reply.

By this time, you’ve arrived at your destination. The house, respectably-sized and of a Western style, stands in front of you in the middle of the forest. Outside, you see a few dolls Miss Margatroid unlocks the door, and a doll in a little maid outfit bows as the two of you walk inside. You follow your host to the dining room and sit down, as another doll maid brings in some tea on a tray, setting it between the two of you.

“Oh yes,” she says over her tea, “You mentioned you were coming to visit me, so may I ask what for?”

“Certainly. I’m going to open up a clothing shop in the village, and I heard you make the costumes for your dolls yourself. I came to see if I could learn from you,” you say, taking a sip.

The tea is excellent, though it’s not the green tea that’s usually drunk in the village. You set your empty cup down, and a doll flies in to refill it.

“I see. I was planning on making costumes for the next play soon, so I can walk you through the process. It does take a while, so we’d probably want to start tomorrow. You’re welcome to stay the night if you so wish.” She says, waving the off the maid, who has moved on to refill her cup.

You consider her offer. The sun will set in an hour or two, so you should have enough time to go back to the village if you decide you have something you want to do there. You could then head back to Miss Margatroid’s house the next day. You could also do something around Alice’s house, talk about Alice with something or just go to bed.

[x] What is your course of action?
>> No. 33765
[x] Stay and talk about how you wanted to make clothes and things of that nature.

Instead of thinking of Alice as a competitor, think of her as a kindred spirit.
>> No. 33766
[x] Ask her about the beasts that wander around the Forest of Magic. Tell her that you want to know how to protect yourself from them.
>> No. 33767
[x] Stay and chat about sewing techniques with Alice.
>> No. 33768
[x] Stay and talk about how you wanted to make clothes and things of that nature.
>> No. 33769
Whoa...Sewing talk? Sounds boring.

[X] So what's it like living with dolls possessed by evil spirits? Do they talk to you at night?
[X] Can I sleep in your room tonight?
>> No. 33770
>>33769
>dolls possessed by evil spirits
Is that a joke 'cause I'm pretty sure that she knows that she is the one who's controlling her dolls.
>> No. 33771
>>33769
Go somewhere else then.
>> No. 33772
[x] Stay and talk about how you wanted to make clothes and things of that nature.
>> No. 33773
>Whoa...Sewing talk? Sounds boring.

Are you nuts.
please reread our power
>When you are wearing a set of clothes related to a profession, you somehow gain the instincts of an expert in that profession. It seems to be related to how well-made the outfit is, although it's seemingly a bit different in the case of your casual wear. Also, you can instantly change outfits, though the magic only seems to work on clothing you yourself own.

So we want clothing we want a lot of clothing and we want it to be of good quality. We should also ask Alice about Seamstress clothing. As that would help us make more and better clothing faster.
>> No. 33774
>Whoa...Sewing talk? Sounds boring.

Are you nuts.
please reread our power
>When you are wearing a set of clothes related to a profession, you somehow gain the instincts of an expert in that profession. It seems to be related to how well-made the outfit is, although it's seemingly a bit different in the case of your casual wear. Also, you can instantly change outfits, though the magic only seems to work on clothing you yourself own.

So we want clothing we want a lot of clothing and we want it to be of good quality. We should also ask Alice about Seamstress clothing. As that would help us make more and better clothing faster.
>> No. 33777
arg won't let me delete one of the above
>> No. 33779
wouldn't it be interesting if we could dress up like for example Meiling and gain some degree of her ability? just an example.
>> No. 33780
[x] Stay and talk about how you wanted to make clothes and things of that nature.

>>33779
I'd say that would be a worthwhile experiment. Considering that Flora has probably never thought about using her ability like that. Otherwise it probably would've been mentioned in the opening post.

Having said that I'm curious about the second half of her ability. Namely what distances has Flora successfully used her instant costume change ability in the past?
>> No. 33781
[x] Stay and chat about sewing techniques with Alice.
[x] Stay and talk about how you wanted to make clothes and things of that nature.
[x] Ask her about the beasts that wander around the Forest of Magic. Tell her that you want to know how to protect yourself from them.

Well, you can’t see any reason to decline Miss Margatroid’s offer, so you might as well accept her hospitality.

“I’d like to stay the night, if you’re sure it won’t be any trouble…”

“Oh, it’s no trouble at all. Please, make yourself at home. Shanghai will show you the way to your room,” your host says, and gestures towards a doll, which curtsies and begins to move off on its own.

You follow it upstairs to a room that is presumably for guests. It has a raised bed, in keeping with the style of the house, though the doll draws your attention to a compartment underneath. When you open it, you see it contains a rolled up futon, presumably left there for guests to use. How thoughtful. It’s not as though you don’t like western beds, it’s just that they’re so… springy.

You’re not tired just yet, so you set up the futon on the floor and head back downstairs to chat with Miss Margatroid. You find her in the living room and sit down next to her.

“So,” you say, “I was wondering. What do you do when you make clothes? Is there anything special you do?”

“No, not really. I start with a sketch, pick out cloth, and so on. You’ll see tomorrow; it’s a lot easier to explain when you can see it. Oh, by the way: if it’s something you don’t mind sharing, would you tell me how you became interested in clothing? If I recall correctly, the Nonvintuses are a big farming family.”

You think for a bit, to find the right words. “Well, I was never really that interested in farming. I was always going to end up doing something else, I think. I just happened to get interested in clothing because I have clothing powers: I get abilities based on the kind of outfit I wear, and I can switch them pretty quickly.”

“Interesting,” Alice says. “Does that mean you could dress up like, say, Hong Meiling and be able to use ki and martial arts?”

Hong Meiling? That’s the Scarlet Devil Mansion’s gatekeeper, the Chinese one. You’ve never been near there, but you’ve read the Gensokyo Chronicles. “She wears Chinese clothes, right? No, I’d probably learn to speak Chinese or something. A karate gi or something would work better for martial arts. And even then, I don’t think I would be able to infuse ki into my attacks unless it was a really fancy one.”

Now that you think of it, there’s a few things you're curious about yourself. “I’ve got a question of my own. Why do you clear the woods of animals? Don’t they mostly stay in the trees?”

Miss Margatroid sighs. “Mostly, yes. The problem is that I mainly use materials from the forest to make my dolls. Wood from the trees, dyes from some of the mushrooms and flowers, and so on. However, the animals seem to see my dolls as easy prey, so every so often, I go clear them out.”

Makes sense. You suddenly remember frantically firing bullets at that bear, and decide to see if she can help with that. “Oh! You sometimes help solve incidents, right? Can you teach me how to defend myself against animals?”

“Most likely, no. I only really use dolls,” Miss Margatroid says, gesturing towards the closest one. “If you want to learn Danmaku, you could try Kirisame. As for weapons, I haven’t the foggiest idea who you should see, I’m afraid.”

The two of you keep chatting for a while, though nothing of note comes up, until eventually you head off to bed. You shift into your pajamas, lay down on the futon, and are soon asleep.

DAY 2

You wake up, stretch, and change into your dress. You are still located in Alice’s guest room, and you can smell breakfast being prepared downstairs.

[x] What is your course of action?
---
Also, yesterday was my birthday, so you lot may as well get a birthday bonus.

PICK TWO:
[x] Random Clothing Tip
[x] Random Item Tip
[x] Random Skill Tip
>> No. 33782
[x] Go downstairs to eat breakfast with Alice. Then, start learning how to make clothes with her.

[x] Random Skill Tip

Hopefully, the tip would be useful.
>> No. 33783
[x] Go downstairs to eat breakfast with Alice. Then, start learning how to make clothes with her.

[x] Random Skill Tip
[x] Random Clothing Tip
>> No. 33784
Yea...danmaku isn't going to save you from a bear or wild youkai trying to kill you. It's not even practical in terms of everyday stuff. Learning danmaku is like learning to play Yu-gi-oh duel monsters really well.

[X] Where can I learn real magic? The power to bring about wonder and ruin on a whim. I need to be able to fight, not play games.
>> No. 33785
>>33784
Danmaku is magic, especially if we learn it from Marisa. Furthermore, all youkai are obliged to adhere to the spellcard rules, making attacks non-lethal. In the case of animals, we can simply fly away.

Besides, learning high level magic takes decades, even centuries, to learn. If you want instant gratification, we might as well wear Reimu's clothes and suddenly become the Hakurei Shrine Maiden/
>> No. 33786
[x] Go downstairs to eat breakfast with Alice. Then, start learning how to make clothes with her.

[x] Random Skill Tip
[x] Random Clothing Tip
>> No. 33787
[x] Go downstairs to eat breakfast with Alice. Then, start learning how to make clothes with her.

[x] Random Skill Tip
[x] Random Clothing Tip
>> No. 33788
[x] Go downstairs to eat breakfast with Alice. Then, start learning how to make clothes with her.

[x] Random Skill Tip
>> No. 33790
[x] Go downstairs to eat breakfast with Alice. Then, start learning how to make clothes with her.

[x] Random Skill Tip
[x] Random Clothing Tip
>> No. 33793
Hey guys, I'm not dead, it's just finals happened, and now it's Christmas vacation. Votes are called, and I should have the update soon.
>> No. 33795
>>33793
Hooray!
>> No. 33853
Holy shit, has it really been that long? Sorry, I got caught up in the vidya.

I'll update this weekend, hopefully.
>> No. 33856
Outline for update complete, writing.

By the way, after some thought, I'm just going to give bonuses for days that people actually get off from work/school, so this is a New Year bonus.

Clothing Tip: Waterproofing
Animals such as otters have a special coating on their fur that helps keep water out. This is obviously useful in clothing, but can make dying difficult. It's said the kappa have a process capable of doing it.
Skill Tip: Bargaining
Not only for when your shop is open! Lower prices of things you need and get more for things you have. Not limited to monetary transactions, the payment on one or both sides can be something such as a favor.

Also, extremely late Christmas bonus: Please pick one thing you want to know.
>> No. 33857
[x] The mysteries of the universe
>> No. 33858
>>33856
[x] Haggling.

Waterproofing isnt really that useful, since this is in /shrine/ and I doubt we'd be going to the Misty Lake or any other body of water. And besides, Getting more then what we pay for with Nitori is better.
>> No. 33860
>>33858
You never know as just because something is in /shrine/ doesn't mean you won't be going to other areas, just that things will be more centered in teh village/shrine.
>> No. 33861
>>33858
What do you see as the difference between Bargaining and Haggling?

[x]Random Clothing Tip
>> No. 33862
>>33861
Tomato Tomato. Wait, Shit, That doesnt translate well into text, but you get the gist.

Anyways, MC is going to run a clothing store, and last I checked it required getting a good amount of materials from very likely different places. Even a 5% cut on all prices would be great in the long run.
>> No. 33864
Just a quick clarification, this bonus is for you guys to learn about something, not Flora. I could give you some tips on what to do when haggling, but you'd have to specify them when the time comes, rather than Flora doing it automatically like she would if she had bargaining skill. Bargaining also ups the chance of a given deal succeeding, so it'd be wise to practice regardless.
>> No. 33865
[x] Haggling.

Might as well learn its mechanics now.
>> No. 33868
File 132779944165.jpg - (345.60KB, 605x800, 3a757a07fe5ea4102c638e586402a64a.jpg) [iqdb]
33868
Update, damn it.
>> No. 34515
>>33868
I'm trying, but it turns out updates don't just appear at the bottom of a word file if you keep putting writing off, and pretty soon it's several months later with nothing to show for it.

I think part of the reason I'm doing so bad is that I had absolutely no plan at all and was pretty much just making it up as I went along. I'm currently working on the mechanics and characterizations for everyone, and opportunities. On the subject, why on earth did I not not give anon the option to open business whenever? That'd have been way more interesting.

Anyway, that will probably take me a while, but at some point, quite possibly way in the future, I will either resume this story or make a another run, and it will hopefully be better for the planning.

For the meantime, though, this is going to have to be a hiatus. Sorry.
>> No. 34518
>>34515
What the hell is it with writers and not having any sort of plan? Don't people ever learn!?

Now that I got that out of my system, good luck in the future.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Top]


[Delete or report post]
Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Switch to Mobile Page]
Thread Watcher x