[Return]
Archived Thread
File 124434223424.jpg - (418.22KB, 1100x900, suika and co.jpg) [iqdb]
24332 No. 24332
“Fine, I can show you quickly I suppose.” I smiled and hurried Alice on to the kitchen while I grabbed the same things I had used before. “You basically need these things. 2 parts this, 3 parts this, and one part this.” Alice observed my movements stoically, displaying no obvious emotion at my quick and dirty display. “Oh, and there's something else that you need to add.” I said with a mischievous smile.
“And what would that be? The drink looks complete to me.”

I had neglected to try a more adventurous idea that had occurred to me. I wasn't even nearly confident enough to try making the mixture do anything fancy with the limited magic I had. That's why I had mixed it in the traditional way. The extra final touch, however, I felt was perfectly doable.

“Just watch.” I closed my eyes, trying to concentrate. I wasn't sure how this magic business worked, but I tried my hardest to remember what Mima said. I pictured what I wanted to do, and because of the earlier display by her I had a vivid image burned into my mind of what a nice sparkle should like like. I grinned as a small light came out of my fingertips and seemingly fell into the drink. “A pinch of magic garnish; our little secret,” I confided in a hushed tone.

“That's-?” Alice seemed surprised at my display.
“Not bad, huh?”
“You're a magician then?” There was a cautious edge to her words, and I felt that she was reanalyzing the way she saw me.
“No, not quite. I can only do things like this, I'll tell you about it later, but I really have to take care of party stuff right now, so talk to you-” I tried to excuse myself, but was interrupted.

“There he is!” The shrill voice of the oni made me recoil. “'es in the kitchen.”
“Really now, just how long does it take to get a simple drink?! I'd fire him if I were you, Suika.” I stared blankly at Marisa as she came in with Suika. “Oh, you're not alone. That other antisocial person is here. Figures.”

“Woah, hey. Sorry about that.” I tried to look for an escape. “I was just showing her how to make a drink here. I'll go get your drink right away. Sake was it?”
“Not so fast!” Marisa had a sloppy grin plastered on her face. “I'm not letting you slip away, you're taking me with you.” I didn't know what had gotten into her, but I knew it probably had something to do with the puppeteer.
“I'll come along too, I have to make sure that you're doing what you're getting paid for.”

In the end, my conversation with Alice was cut off abruptly. She looked at me silently, with an emotionless gaze as the two fools dragged me off to the alcohol storage area. It was wishful thinking to expect her or Reimu to come bail me out. The worst part of it all, was that I wasn't able to slip away to see Mima. I tried my best, but I couldn't get out of the loud pair's sight, as I was the center of attention.

“Oooh! Lookie, this is some pretty good stuff, ze. You got all of this from his store, Suika?”
“Ayup! Wasn't that badly priced either. Although I bet that now that I know the owner, I can get a killer discount, right?” She ribbed me, and I'm not ashamed to admit it, but it really hurt.
“Eh, well, we already price as fairly as we can...”
“Sounds like a yes to me!” Marisa laughed. The both of them helped themselves to bottles of alcohol while I looked for a chance to escape. No such luck. As it would be, I was made to carry everything back to the party (so that “everyone could see me hard at work”).

As if pouring drinks weren't enough, I was also made to get snacks for the voracious bunch. I honestly expected them to at any moment make me sing as well. Luckily, it didn't come to that.

In a brief moment of rest, I tried my best to contact Mima. I thought about her and tried to speak with my mind.

<I'm sorry, but I got intercepted. Please don't be mad.> I tried to convey my sincerest feelings succinctly. I didn't get a reply, so I tried again, apologizing profusely at my failure and promising to make up for it.

Just as I was about to despair, I got a reply.

<You're a complete idiot, totally unsuitable for my designs.> Even though she was expressing her irritation with me, I couldn't help but imagine her puffing up her cheeks like a child would and sulking for attention. <And to think that I had considered you in my plans...>

<I'll make up for it!> I promised. <I'll do whatever it is with all my enthusiasm, promise!> I even added some of that slick salesmanship that I had picked up from the trade, <An awesome person like you deserves the best, I'll guarantee your satisfaction>

Her reply sounded disconnected. <It may be too late for that. But we'll see.>
>> No. 24333
There's a loud buzzing in my skull, and I suddenly get the feeling like she had gone somewhere very far away. As if by instinct, I knew that I wouldn't be able to contact her now, even if I had tried my best.

“Hey, no time for you to be spacing out!” Suika was relentless in her bossing around. “More guests are probably about to arrive, so you've got to impress 'em.”
“I've already arrived. Is that a problem, I can just come back in five minutes.”
“Mmm?” Suika looked around. “Yuuukaaaaariii~” She launched herself halfway across the room and grabbed the leg of the new arrival. A woman with long blond hair and a with a large amount of purple in her clothes. My eyes were drawn to the parasol she carried, and I found it odd that someone would carry one at night.
“Please don't tug too hard, I wouldn't want the dress to rip.”
“Ahaha~ Sorry there. I'm just glad to see you.” Suika lets go of the woman's leg and looks at her with a glowing expression of happiness. “Thanks for coming, have a seat please.” She motioned at me with her hands, telling me to get the new arrival a drink.

When I came back, they had apparently just all exchanged pleasantries. Reimu didn't look too happy though, her expression souring to something like I had seen just before the party.

“Here you go Miss.” I offered the drink.
“Is he a human? How quaint.”

Suika looked at me, telling me with her expression that I should introduce myself. I didn't like how pushy she had become. I introduced myself as per usual. “...but everyone else seems to like calling me Arc, so you can use that as well.”
“Yukari Yakumo, a pleasure.” She delicately showed a perfectly regal smile. With one hand she took one of her long white gloves off of her other one and extended her arm out. It took me a moment to realize what was going on.
“The pleasure is all mine.” I bent down and pressed my lips against her fair hand. This was the first time that I had kissed a person's hands.
“You keep good company, Suika.” She commented, slowly and deliberately putting the long glove back onto her arm. She then produced a hand-held fan and started to slowly fan herself.
“Arc's real swell, everybody who meets him ends up liking him.” She boasted (and with no real basis for that claim I thought).
“He certainly does seem like an agreeable fellow.” Yukari smiled directly at me, sending jolts down my spine. There was something about her that I just quite couldn't put my finger on.

I looked around the room. The reporter was scribbling something down in her notebook, whether it was this exchange or about something else entirely, I wasn't sure. The puppeteer and the shrine maiden were discussing something quietly together, while this central group was made up of myself, Suika, Marisa, and the new arrival. From what I had heard from Reimu earlier, one or two more people should be coming as well.

“Would you mind indulging me for a while there Arc?” Yukari beckoned me to sit at her side.
“Sure, what is it?”
“I've haven't kept up with the affairs of the village for a long while, so would you care to bring me up to speed with some general information.”
“I don't mind, although there isn't much that goes on to begin with.” I answered several of her questions about who were the current community leaders, how many people lived there roughly, and other boring facts that I only half-remembered.
“Ah, I see. Would you mind then if I asked about your family?”
“Not at all. There isn't much to say. We're an old family, apparently we're amongst one of the first family to have settled the land here. But there's no accurate way of telling, and I personally doubt it.”
“And why would that be?”
“Because my family is insane, that's why. I wouldn't trust advice from my own mother, let alone historical details about the clan.” I added a small laugh afterwards, just so they weren't weirded out by the truth.
“I see. And what about you? Are you planning to run that store by yourself one day?”
“I don't know really. I don't think it's what I want to do, but there's no real way out of it for me. My parents have been pushing hard for me to get married and inherit the business.”
“Ah yes, I suppose that this sort of arrangement is still the norm there.” She comments, probably to just herself. “So then, do you have a lover then? Someone that you wish to spend your life running the store with perhaps? Or maybe someone whom you wish to runaway with?” I saw a bemused smile on Yukari's face when I looked at it. No, something more than that. It was an overwhelmingly potent look. I didn't know what she was thinking, but I could tell that she asked the question for a damn good reason.

As luck would have it, everyone had stopped talking mere moments before she posed the question to me. As such, I could feel six pairs of eyes, each displaying a different emotion, boring into me, awaiting my reply.

[] “No, I don't have anybody like that.”
[] “No, not really. But I met someone recently who could potentially be that person...”
[] Lie; “Yes. I do.” Hope the matter drops.
>> No. 24334
File 124434302877.jpg - (659.95KB, 1024x768, 1208470267097.jpg) [iqdb]
24334
[!/] “No, not really. But I met someone recently who could potentially be that person...”

Start with a P ends in 8?
>> No. 24335
[Q] “No, I don't have anybody like that.”

Simple, to the point, and not a lie. Remember: We have an Oni hovering over our shoulder.
>> No. 24336
[x] “No, I don't have anybody like that.”
>> No. 24337
[x] “No, I don't have anybody like that.”
>> No. 24338
>>24333
[X] “No, not really. But I met someone recently who could potentially be that person...”

Neither confirm nor deny; keep every option open. Salesmanship go!
>> No. 24340
[X] "No, I don't have anybody like that."

>>24388
Oh sure, leave something open-ended for Yukari to mess with. It'll only encourage her.
>> No. 24344
[X] “No, I don't have anybody like that.”
>> No. 24345
[X] "No, I don't have anybody like that."
>> No. 24347
[X] “No, I don't have anybody like that.”
>> No. 24348
[X] “No, not really. But I met someone recently who could potentially be that person...”

This. THIS.
>> No. 24349
File 124435356167.jpg - (247.12KB, 674x800, 1241819609934.jpg) [iqdb]
24349
>>24340

Yukari~n does whatever the fuck she feels like doing, whenever.

She is the plot device after all.
>> No. 24350
[] “No, not really. But I met someone recently who could potentially be that person...”
>> No. 24351
[x] “No, I don't have anybody like that.”

Telling the truth is best.

Told ya we should've ditched Alice.
>> No. 24352
File 124435945572.jpg - (45.09KB, 583x752, 1244248580229.jpg) [iqdb]
24352
>>24351

>ditch Alice

What is this, the start of YWUiG all over again?
Oh wait....
>> No. 24353
[x] “No, I don't have anybody like that.”
[x] "But seeing as my family expressed little hesitation, enthusiasm rather, in selling me to oni as indenture for an interminable amount of time, as of late I've been increasingly entertaining alternatives to the track my life is set on."
[x] "One offer in particular I am hopeful for, assuming I measure up to her standards. It's a sudden departure from the norm, but honestly there's not much I'd be throwing away, and the lifestyle is far more appealing. More than that, I cannot tell."
>> No. 24357
[x] “No, I don't have anybody like that.”
[x] "But seeing as my family expressed little hesitation, enthusiasm rather, in selling me to oni as indenture for an interminable amount of time, as of late I've been increasingly entertaining alternatives to the track my life is set on."
[x] "One offer in particular I am hopeful for, assuming I measure up to her standards. It's a sudden departure from the norm, but honestly there's not much I'd be throwing away, and the lifestyle is far more appealing. More than that, I cannot tell."

MORAL OF THE UPDATE: You can't pick everything and actually get everything. Sometimes, you actually have to make a choice.

Mimaaaaaaaaaaa
>> No. 24358
[X] "No, I don't have anybody like that."
[X] "But seeing as my family expressed little hesitation, enthusiasm rather, to selling me to oni as indenture for an interminable amount of time, as of late I've been increasingly entertaining alternatives to the track my life has been set on."
[X] "One offer in particular in particular I am hopeful for, assuming I measure up to her standards. It's a sudden departure from the norm, but honestly there's not much I'd be throwing away, and the lifestyle is far more appealing. More than that, I cannot say."

Not so sure we should toss that last part in, as Yukari would be likely to inqure further.
We shouldn't blow Mima's cover after all.
>> No. 24360
[x] “No, I don't have anybody like that.”

>>24351
I voted for Alice and got Alice.
>> No. 24361
[x] "Ah, no, I don't..."
[x] Slightly pained expression.

Suddenly, pity and swooning.
>> No. 24362
[X] “No, I don't have anybody like that.”
>> No. 24363
I'll write an update as soon as I'm done getting some noursihment. So expect something soon.
>> No. 24364
>Not so sure we should toss that last part in, as Yukari would be likely to inqure further.

So what? We already told her we cannot say. Shanghaiing us into a crazy eye-void just to extract said information after we said we wouldn't tell would be a big-time dick move.
>> No. 24365
>>24363

Hooray!
>> No. 24369
[x] “No, I don't have anybody like that.”
>> No. 24370
>>24364

Your point being?
>> No. 24374
[X] "No, I don't have anybody like that."

“No I don't have anybody like that.” I told the truth. So much so, that I even clued them in to how I felt, “But seeing as my family expressed little hesitation, enthusiasm rather, to selling me to oni as indenture for an interminable amount of time, as of late I've been increasingly entertaining alternatives to the track my life has been set on." I felt that Yukari's eyes were narrowing, and the others as well were reacting to what I was saying, but I wasn't sure how exactly. I felt like adding a line or two about how I might be interested in someone, but the urge wasn't strong enough. Hinting at something more would have to wait until another opportunity.

“I see.” This was all she said. She nodded her head slightly, but didn't comment further. Around me, no one else said anything either, and Suika began to chat up Marisa again. I don't know if I satisfied her with my answer, but no one asked any followups either. “Who else are we waiting for? There seem to be a few extra spots.”

“Hmm, I'm not sure.” Suika's aloofness astounded me. “I invited as many people as possible. But I don't know if they'll all come. Maybe we should break out the heavy stuff.” She looked at me.
“Not yet.” Marisa cut in. “I think that one or two of the people that I spoke to will definitely show up.”
“Right, right! We'll wait for them then. Hold on getting the stuff Arc.”
“Yo, Arc, go get me a refill, will ya?” Marisa held up her glass with a sizable grin. Man, despite her size, this girl sure could knock drinks back. In fact, all of them could. I was pretty sure that we had already gone through a couple of bottles at least.

Everyone took that as their cue to place their order. Reimu had completed the transition from grumpy onlooker to party devotee, asking me to bring her this and that. Well, I couldn't complain much, I supposed, I was getting paid for this in theory.

This time, I was left alone as I went to get the drinks from the storage closet. I made sure to get several bottles to preempt demand. Before going back, I went to check if by any chance she was there. No such luck. I sighed and left the dark corner of the shrine and went back to the party.

It seemed that another guest had arrived. A perky girl dressed in blue and with a cap sat next to Marisa smiling. I served the drinks and went on over to introduce myself and ask what she would like to drink. “Name's Nitori. Beer would be fine.”

I went and fulfilled her order. It didn't seem like anyone else was going to come, and after about another half an hour Suika finally got impatient enough to move things along. “Well now, everyone that wants to be here is here, so let's get some fun going!” Elated cheers came from the party-goers, they were all wound up and charged. “Good to see that you feel that way. First, up games, yay!” Suika clapped her hands. “I thought that we could split up in teams and hold a small friendly tournament. The winning team gets...” She pulled up a bottle with a black label, “...Tchan! This beauty right here. Arc's auntie told me that this is the best stuff they have in stock.”

I nodded in agreement. Yeah, that was the best stuff we had in stock. No one in the village could afford to buy it in fact. It dawned on me just how good of a customer Suika had been.

“Oooooh~” A cry of amazement came from the crowd. Hell, even I wanted to drink it.

“I know, I know. Sounds like a great reward, doesn't it?” Suika laughed, and took a swig from her gourd. “So we'll play a couple of fun things and winner gets the bottle. There's just one problem There's just seven of us, and we need to be in pairs, so no one minds if Arc joins in, right?” No one seemed to mind (nor did they care to know if I even wanted to participate either). “Alright then. Let's split up into groups then!”

If I wanted to choose my own partner instead of being squared off with whoever, I would have to act fast and grab someone right now.

[] Choose girl
>> No. 24375
[X] Nitori

This will lose, but damn it, I love that little kappa.
>> No. 24376
File 124441240434.jpg - (86.61KB, 800x800, 03994993d30f4881c00ab1ebc96c4b11.jpg) [iqdb]
24376
[!/] Reimu

The best drinking partners are ones similar to ones self.
>> No. 24377
[Q] Reimu
>> No. 24378
[X] Reimu
>> No. 24379
[X]Raymoo
yes! teammates for great teamwork!
>> No. 24380
[X] Reimu
>> No. 24381
[x]Reimu

But she's probably gonna reject us and she'll team up with Yukari.
>> No. 24382
>>24375

[x] Nitori

Yes please
>> No. 24383
[x]Reimu
>> No. 24384
[x] Suika
>> No. 24386
[x] Reimu

I'd vote Nitori, but we should choose someone we know. And Marisa's definitely claiming Alice, after the way she dragged her here.
>> No. 24387
File 12444347933.jpg - (109.09KB, 500x500, 145fc3bc004298e9f5c438ec57d41df4.jpg) [iqdb]
24387
>>24381

But what if Sukima rejects her offer and teams up with Suika?!!11? What then.
>> No. 24388
[x]Reimu
>> No. 24389
[x] Let someone choose you.
>> No. 24390
[X] Reimu
>> No. 24391
>“...Tchan! This beauty right here. Arc's auntie told me that this is the best stuff they have in stock.”

Blended whiskey is shit. Doesn't matter what color the label is.

But that's forgivable; you shouldn't expect to find single malt scotch in Gensokyo.

[x] Raymoo
>> No. 24394
[X]Reimu

>>24391

I'll stick to my vodka thank you... with a side of mountain dew maybe...
>> No. 24397
Writing now.

I personally would have gone for Yukarin if I voted. We'll see how this team fares.
>> No. 24398
File 12444913516.jpg - (125.25KB, 621x610, 1214898650494.jpg) [iqdb]
24398
>>24397

Hooray!

Babaa! It’s me! Marry me!
>> No. 24399
File 124449211853.jpg - (259.56KB, 850x949, one got cut.jpg) [iqdb]
24399
[x] Reimu

I moved quickly to secure my partner. “Hey, do you mind teaming up with me?” I approached her first.

“Sure, why not? It's all just a silly competition anyways. We'll be the only normal team in a group of freaks.” Her words were biting.
“That sounds a bit harsh.” I smiled. “Pleased to be partnered up with you then.”
“Yeah, whatever.”

Everyone else partnered up quickly as well. The teams were as follows: The loud Suika partnered up with the composed Yukari, A grinning Marisa with an equally enthusiastic Ni tori, and the nosy reporter teamed up with the quiet puppeteer. Suika was the focus of everyone's attention, detailing just exactly we would do. “Alright, alright. Since this is a party, it's only fair that we have really fun party games! We'll have a couple of competitions in which teams are awarded points for winning. First place gets three points, second two, third place only one, and the team that comes in last nothing. Because the prize is good, the team that gets it will be the one with the most points at the end. Sound good?” Everyone nodded. “Awesome. We'll have an extra competition if there's a tie in score.”

“Come on, get on with it!” Marisa shouted out waving her glass in the air.

“Yeah, okay. Arc, go get us a couple of bottles of the cheap stuff. Actually, go get a whole case please.”

I did as I was told and got a small box full of bottles from storage. My arms hurt, these were heavy.

“Ok good. Now that we have drinks, we can do the first competition. Because this is a party, it's only fair that the first game is a drinking contest. So it's pretty simple. Each team will have the same amount and whoever drinks it the fastest wins. It doesn't matter if both of you drink or just one of you. Speed's the key.” She distributed the alcohol around evenly.

“Umm...” I turned to Reimu. “Is it even safe to drink this much alcohol so quickly?”
“Aren't you the expert on alcohol?”
“You see, that's the thing... I only sell the stuff. I don't know why everyone assumes I drink heavily and know a thousand and one cocktails.”
“Figures Suika would exaggerate.” Reimu said stoically. “So what do you want to do?”
“What do you mean?”
“About this game. I think that this amount won't kill us, since it's mostly weaker and cheaper alcohol. But it's still a lot to drink though.” She admitted. “Want to go half and half?”
“Umm, that's...” The most inappropriate thought struck me then – rather, series of thoughts; I couldn't stop staring at Reimu's lips. I hoped she wouldn't notice.
“What's the matter? Want to sit this one out then? Our chances for winning the prize would be pretty low then.” She shrugs, “Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if we don't win. But I don't mind if we win either, it is after all something free and supposedly nice.”

“Is there a problem here?” Suika peered over at our team, anxious to get things started. “I know that we've practically won already, but that doesn't mean that you can't at the very least enjoy drinking a bit.” Luckily, that made me stop staring at Reimu's lips and I looked at the haughty Oni.
“There's no problem here.” I assured her. “We're good.”
“Alright then, we'll get started now then.”

Reimu looked at me, asking me what it was that I planned to do in the end.

[] Drink everything yourself
[] Make her drink everything
[] Go half and half
[] Sit out of this game
>> No. 24400
[X] Go half and half.

Sharing is caring?
>> No. 24401
File 124449316633.jpg - (40.09KB, 402x536, 1214682775761.jpg) [iqdb]
24401
[!/] Go half and half
>> No. 24402
[X] Go half and half.

Should be interesting to see how well Arc can hold his drink.
>> No. 24403
[X] Go half and half.
>> No. 24404
[X] Go half and half
>> No. 24405
>[ ] Make her drink it all
...

[X] Go half and half
>> No. 24406
File 124449914882.jpg - (142.02KB, 458x457, Reimu1.jpg) [iqdb]
24406
>>24405

Even if it's bitter?
>> No. 24407
Unanimity is dull. Ah well, writing now.
>> No. 24408
[x] Go half and half

I barely had had the time to suggest half and half when Suika's intoxicated yip signaled the start of the game. Reimu took the bottle faster than I could react, closed her eyes, and chugged away. It looked like she might have wanted to win more than she let on.

I looked around to see how the others were doing. Suika was drinking for her team, an expression of glee as she effortlessly downed a bottle. Her partner observed with a sly smile on her face, half hidden away by her fan. It was clear that she would probably win this one. Marisa was drinking right now, her face reddening as she struggled to chug the contents. I thought that we might have a chance to at least beat her. There wasn't much chance that we'd beat the last team either; the reporter drank almost as quickly as Suika while her partner sat with an reserved expression on her face.

“Here. Drink the rest.” The bottle was handed to me.

I took the bottle and looked at Reimu. That was a mistake.

“Hey, what are you waiting for?! Drink!” She was excitable, obviously caught up in the spirit of the competition. I couldn't bring myself to do it though. As I looked at her face I saw a fine line of liquid dribbling from her mouth down to her chin. I then looked at the bottle and the mouth of it. “The others are going to beat us!”
“Um...” I may have mumbled something to her, but she ignored it, just ordering me to drink.
“Do you want to lose?” It was her angry face that finally got my going. Just as she was about to snatch the bottle away from my hands I breathed in and out and put the bottle to my lips.

I could feel myself reddening as I downed the burning liquid. Despite the million and one thoughts being fired around my head I did my best to finish the bottle off. I could hear Reimu cheering me on as I switched to another bottle. Between the two of us, we had drank three bottles of cheap alcohol. I knew that because of its price it was just a watered down fermented drink, but I still felt a kick as I finished off the last of the bottle.

“Done!” I exclaimed, just moments before a similar cry came from another team.

“And we're done!” Suika enthusiastically proclaimed holding up an empty bottle in her hand. “I don't think anyone can argue that I won this one, followed by Aya there and then Reimu while Marisa came in last.”

“Well, at least we didn't come in last.” Reimu shrugged, trying to act indifferent.

I was surprised that Marisa did so poorly. Like us, she had gone half and half with her partner. Nitori was apparently better than Marisa, so if it had been just her they would have beaten us.

“Alright, alright. Before we get too carried away.” Suika urged us to get up. “We'll move on to the next event. This one takes place outside.”

I felt the kick again and my head swirled as I got up. It wasn't too bad, however, and lasted only a brief moment. I was still blushing as we moved on outside, prompting Reimu to ask if I was alright. “Maybe we shouldn't bother to participate if you don't feel like it.”
“Oh no, I'm alright.” I assured her. We moved outside in front of the shrine and were handed a short rope with a small pouch tied to an end each.

“This second game is also really fun. Basically one person ties the rope to their wrists so the bag is hanging like this.” She tied it around her own wrist so that the bag hung loosely from it. “Then that person gets on the back of the other person on the team and then we go around trying to grab the bags from other people without losing ours. Whoever has their bag at the end wins.”
“Uh, isn't kind of dangerous?” I voiced the concerns that came naturally for me. “ What if we fall? I mean, the ground isn't exactly soft.”
“Don't be a baby! No one is going to get hurt.” So she said.

The natural allocation for my team was Reimu with the bag and me carrying her around. I felt uncomfortable with this, since I would be holding her so she didn't fall. Just thinking about it made me feel like my whole face was burning up. And the alcohol I drank wasn't helping either, outside... my other concerns... my coordination was a bit sloppy I thought.

“Ready? I'm getting on.” I bent over as Reimu climbed on me and I grabbed her legs. She wasn't that heavy. Before other thoughts, and fragrances, could distract me further, Suika decided to get things started.

“May the best team win!” She said, holding her partner up.

Marisa was carrying Nitori while Aya held Alice. We were all in opposite corners, looking at each other, waiting to see who would make the first move.

“Chaaaaaaaaaarge!” Suika's yell signaled the start of hostilities. She was going for Marisa's team first. They were soon interlocked in a series of feints and parries while the renaming two teams just watched.

“Come on Arc, let's get going.” Reimu urged me to get moving and I took my first steps forward.
“Where should I go?”
“It doesn't matter, just get close to someone and I'll do my thing.”

[] Go for Suika
[] Go for Marisa
[] Go for Aya
>> No. 24409
[X] Go for Marisa

MASTER SPAAAAAARRRRRKKKK!!!! XD
>> No. 24410
File 124450371766.jpg - (401.75KB, 1280x1024, 1223511904043.jpg) [iqdb]
24410
[!/] Go for Aya

Ayayayaya.
>> No. 24411
>XD

ξ・∀・) Stop that.
>> No. 24412
[x] Go for Marisa

This is a game of physical ability.

Aya could snatch the bag away before we could blink, and Suika could simply force Reimu's arms away if she misses the first grab.

Marisa's the easiest target.
>> No. 24413
[X] Go for Aya
>> No. 24414
[X] Go for Aya

Although, isn't Alice the one who's being carried around?
>> No. 24415
[x] Go for Marisa
>> No. 24416
>>24414
Yes. So is Yukari and Nitori.
>> No. 24417
[x] Go for Suika

The other two are too tricky.
>> No. 24418
[x] Sneak behind Marisa while they're distracted.

TACTICAL ABILITAY
>> No. 24419
[x] Go for Suika

go for the big boys while they're distracted
>> No. 24420
[x] Go for Suika
>> No. 24421
[x] Go for Suika

They're in the lead, so they have the most to lose from this round.
>> No. 24422
[ze] Go for Suika

>>24399
Any reason you aren't naming alcohols? It'd add a nice little bit of immersion.

>>24401
Stupid, yet oddly cute.

I like how the Yukkureimu's cup has a bendy straw.
>> No. 24423
[x] Go for Suika
>> No. 24424
Writing sometime soon.

>Any reason you aren't naming alcohols?
Because I haven't felt a reason to. Besides, how many different drinks would a secluded little world with 19th century knowledge have? The logical conclusions would be beer, different varieties of sake, and then a couple of natively-distilled spirits/moonshine. Perhaps small quantities of regular wine and by extension fortified wine (if we assume that the SDM consumes it). Anything else would have to be made/have come from the outside and thus be really rare and hard to come by or make.
>> No. 24425
>>24424
There's no real reason not to, actually.
>“You basically need these things. 2 parts this, 3 parts this, and one part this.”
And because this line and others like it sound horribly stilted.

For that matter, nobody has any reason not to pay a little attention to detail ever since Wikipedia came along.

Even Stephanie Meyer knows that.
>> No. 24426
>>24424
All that said, I still like the story.
>> No. 24427
>>24425

Either I'm misreading your comment or you're saying that such a secluded society/world would have access to wikipedia..? Also I'd imagine the proprietor would know about local brews and flavors at the very least but a seller..? I'd imagine a seller would just simply go by generic names or labels that could be numerous depending how many are in the alcohol business, and go from there rather than taste/purpose/appropriate times ect. They could be drinking Pinot Noir and not really know it; unless of course said drinkers thought of it as watered down beer...
>> No. 24428
File 124456591984.jpg - (177.20KB, 822x600, tpei.jpg) [iqdb]
24428
>>24427
I think he meant that I have access to wikipedia, therefore I should be able to specify things if I don't know them (as a bon vivant, I've already got most of that knowledge covered). It's been a conscious effort to keep things from being too specific, mainly due to availability issues. See: proposed drinks earlier in story (they had stuff like Baileys) - it's all for the sake of suspension of disbelief. If I need to go specific, I will.
~

[x] Go for Suika

I brought us closer to the distracted Suika and Yukari. They were paying their full attention at hounding Marisa and her partner, totally oblivious to our movements. “Try to go right, the bag is on her right arm.” I followed Reimu's instruction and approached from behind their right side. They hadn't noticed us, so I thought that maybe this was the best target after all.

“Ngh!” Reimu lounged forwards. I almost tumbled from the force when the other team simply sidestepped and made us overshoot.

“Now now Reimu, attacking from behind is hardly fair.” A smiling Yukari remarked.
“There's nothing in the rules against it.” Reimu retorted. “Besides, it'll be fun beating you.”

We closed in to try again, and again they managed to avoid our attack. I waited until Marisa realized the opportunity and circled to the front again. She came from behind as I stepped in from the front and it looked like this temporary alliance might work.

With an ambiguous smile on her face Yukari tapped Suika's horns. In a flash, they escaped, leaving us to crash up against Marisa and Nitori. Reimu almost fell from the impact, but she dug her hands into my shoulder and managed to stay mounted. I moved to get clear from the other team.

“Two teams against one is especially not fair.” Yukari casually said. I was impressed at how she was able to know what we were going to do. I wondered if maybe she had eyes on the back of her head. “Sitting out while we fight amongst ourselves isn't sportsmanlike either.” She threw a smile to the remaining team who had cautiously kept their distance from the encounter.

The game was at a deadlock. Suika and Yukari were obviously the strongest contender, but the other three teams kept prioritizing her whenever we got the chance. That isn't to say that we cooperated fully, on the contrary, I had to keep moving so that the fast-moving Aya wouldn't come close enough to get Alice to grab our bag. I wasn't built for this kind of thing and my breath was short and I was sweating. It had been only about ten minutes, but it felt like I had been running all day long. “Maybe we should try something different.” Reimu suggested in her still-calm voice. She had gotten a bit worked up against Yukari, exchanging insults but still had had enough sense to direct me around when needed. “I have a plan; it's a pain to actually do, and I don't really feel like it. Plus it isn't exactly fair.”

“What do you plan to do?” I asked, wishing that I could somehow wipe the sweat off of my brow.
“Exploit their weaknesses. All you'd have to do is get close, put up with the outrageous, and pray.”
“Doesn't sound like you're sure that it'll work.” I moved to the right, putting some more distance between an over-eager Suika and us. “What's outrageous about the idea anyways?”
“Um... I'd rather not say it until I have to.” I really wanted to see her face to know what she was getting at right then.
“Hm...”
“Well, it's either that or we keep this up.” Again she reinforced her underlying way of thinking, “We could give up again if this is too much effort. This is silly anyways.”

Yeah, it was pretty darn silly.

[] This is too much effort
[] Gamble on Reimu's idea
[] Keep going as you are
>> No. 24429
[X] Gamble on Reimu's idea

May as well show some faith in Reimu's plan, or Arc's fortitude as being not the type to half-ass things, nor being cowardly to try something new...

Besides as much as Reimu says she doesn't care too much, I find her sentiment very suspect...



basically I'd hate giving up so easily if there's a chance of succeeding...
>> No. 24430
[X] Gamble on Reimu's idea.

Something tells me that Reimu's apparent lack of interest is just her restraining herself.
Hopefully task #3 wont be physically exhausting, or Arc and Reimu wont win.
>> No. 24431
[X] Gamble on Reimu's idea
>> No. 24432
[x] Gamble on Reimu's idea.
>> No. 24433
[X] Gamble on Reimu's idea.
>> No. 24434
[x] Gamble on Reimu's idea

fuck yes getting on the wandbagon
>> No. 24435
[X] Gamble on Reimu's idea
>> No. 24436
[] Gamble on Reimu's idea

Trust the miko.
>> No. 24437
[Q] Gamble on Reimu's idea

If this involves summoning a god, then it will be awesome.
>> No. 24438
[] Gamble on Reimu's idea
>> No. 24439
File 12445810728.png - (43.16KB, 500x403, 1206484505642.png) [iqdb]
24439
[!/] Gamble on Reimu's idea

Throwing more hay into a haystack.

Oh Reimu, she should be more honest with her feelings.
>> No. 24440
[X] Gamble on Reimu's idea

In miko we trust.
>> No. 24441
[X] Gumball on Rumia's ideal
>> No. 24443
>>24441

oh why did I fucking loled at that
>> No. 24444
[x] Gamble on Reimu's idea

“Alright. I'll trust you on this one. Do your thing.” I decided to trust her idea.
“Ok, then bring us close to Aya. And, um, don't be surprised.”

I did as she said an broke away from the others and went towards Aya and Alice. Luckily, the other two teams were too caught up with each other to give chase. “Think you can take us?” Aya taunted us with quick footwork while Alice silently observed us, looking for a chance to make her move.

“I'm here to ask you to let us win.” Reimu spoke and gently tapped my shoulder, telling me to get closer.
“And why would we want to do that?” Alice spoke up. “We will probably win this.”
“Well... I haven't been honest about my condition. I hoped that I would get compassion from you two.”
“Condition?” There was a glint of interest in Aya's eyes, but she still moved around cautiously.
“Yup, I lied to you before.”
“And why should we care?” The puppeteer looked unmoved, “You're not going to distract me and catch me off guard.”
“You see, I've known Arc longer than I've let on. Isn't that right?” I could picture her smiling placidly.
“Yes. For some time.” I supported her lie.
“And well, we're really intimate. And I really shouldn't be competing in rough games like these. I'm not going to mince words here; I'm carrying his child.”

“...” Even though she told me to expect something outrageous this a bit too much. Her amiable voice and the smile she (most definitely) had on her face made me imagine all sorts of things at once. And I even substituted that lie as my reality for a brief moment, just to see how it felt.

“Holy p-!” Aya completely forgot what she was doing and instinctively went for her pen and pad. “This is a total scoop!”
“Hey!? What are you doin-?!” Alice was thrown off balance due to Aya's sudden movements and looked like she was about to fall.

“Go!” Reimu whispered loudly to me and that got me moving towards the other team. We closed the distance in a second or two.

A few seconds later Reimu would be holding another bag in her hand, waving it triumphantly in the air. “Hah! Can't believe that worked! Nice job Arc.”

“Hey Reimu! Reimu! How long have you known about your pregnancy? Doesn't this scandalous out-of-wedlock child ruin you as a shrine maiden? Does anyone else know about your immoral affair caused by animal lust?” Having shrugged an irate Alice off of her shoulders, Aya fired a series of ridiculous questions while chasing us, not at all concerned with having lost.

“It was a lie you stupid crow!” Reimu barked at her as I dashed off to meet our next opponent. Aya didn't seem to mind, standing and writing something into her notebook despite the verbal abuse she was getting from her teammate.

“Looks like I won't need to do anything for the kappa.” Reimu remarked as we both watched Yukari grab their opponent's bag in a swift motion. Marisa and Nitori were soundly defeated. They smiled and went off into the sidelines.

“Yoohoo~! Reimu~!” Yukari waved at us with the bag in her hand while Suika grinned. “Decided to come back? We should finish this before your poor little partner collapses.”

Crud, I probably really looked like crap if she could tell from this distance.

“I've got nothing on her Arc.”
“Can't you make something up like before?”
“She wouldn't fall for it.”
“What about Suika?”
“She might look like she's having a fun time, but nothing is going to distract her from trying to win.”
“Well, I guess it's a matter of luck then.”

It was messy. My movements were sluggish and theirs were not. Reimu tried her best to protect herself from Yukari's elegant quick grabs, parrying and feinting as she went, but I could see that she would probably mess up soon. It fell to me to think of something, otherwise we'd probably lose. Well, second place wasn't that bad.

[] Charge in close
[] Keep circling around
[] Other
>> No. 24445
File 124459014145.jpg - (77.43KB, 400x312, 1212445728629.jpg) [iqdb]
24445
[X]IRON HEART SURGE
[X] Charge in close but at the last second sidestep away.

Hopefully giving us a chance to grab and win.
>> No. 24446
>“And well, we're really intimate. And I really shouldn't be competing in rough games like these. I'm not going to mince words here; I'm carrying his child.”

I lol'd so hard I scared my cat.
>> No. 24447
>>24446

What is wrong with you?

I was as hard as fucking titanium after reading that.
>> No. 24448
>>24447
titanium is not that hard, it has great tensile strength, is tough and corrosion resistant but it's a soft metal

don't mind me, the /k/nifefag in me just wouldn't be silenced
>> No. 24449
[X] Charge in close but at the last second sidestep away.

>>24446

You're lucky, as I ended up spitting out my drink on my keyboard.

WHY DIDN'T I SEE THAT COMING?!

Nonetheless it was good~
>> No. 24450
>>24448

Couldn't say diamonds because it's not as hard as Dragonforce though.
>> No. 24451
[X] Charge in close but at the last second sidestep away.
>> No. 24452
[x] Charge at them with a fierce roar
[x] "Y-YOUR GOURD ALCOHOL IS SECOND-RATE AT BEST!!!"

Oh God, I'm such a dick.

>>24444
And here I thought she was going to flash her breasts at the two of them...

>>24448
It's still a penis. He had to be somewhat realistic.
>> No. 24453
[X] Charge in close but at the last second sidestep away.

I was playing with the idea to feint for the bag and snatch her gourd, but with the expensive stuff on the line plus it being a contest I don't think it'd matter much to her.
>> No. 24454
>>24453
>>24452

Suika would be all over you like Yuyuko having Chicken Cacciatore with a lemon-honey glaze for dinner...
>> No. 24456
File 124459461718.jpg - (69.25KB, 417x450, loose bandages sink ships.jpg) [iqdb]
24456
>Reimu
>breasts
I don't know if I'll get to describing them or their size, shape, texture of her nipples or any cure birthmarks she may have there anytime soon. So I wouldn't worry myself thinking about any of these things right now.
>> No. 24458
>>24454
I was thinking more along the lines of depression hitting her like a ton of oni-durable bricks.

Told her prized gourd was second-rate by a man she admires in front of all of her party guests. A man who is knowledgeable in the world of alcohol. Shock and dismay, wouldn't you say?
>> No. 24459
>>24458

Wouldn't she be able to read through such a faulty claim?
>> No. 24460
[X] Charge in close but at the last second sidestep away.

>>24458

I don't know... Would she take the word of a man who barely surpasses a fifth of her age when it comes to alcoholic experiences..?

Maybe by a friend who she felt close to in terms of being around booze and have something like that disparaged...




I can't do it... ;_;
>> No. 24461
[X] Charge in close but at the last second sidestep away.
>> No. 24462
>>24459
It's not far from the truth. We hated it when she forced us to drink from her gourd. Those feelings and the fact we're shouting it without thinking makes it a little hard to be told apart from a lie. Even so, such an accusation would still strike hard.

>>24460
Don't worry. There will be hair-rufflings afterwards. We didn't mean it, we were just too caught up in the game and shouted the first thing that came to mind.
>> No. 24463
File 124461076812.png - (310.16KB, 500x652, 852a428f7f953c425edab52ab147cceb.png) [iqdb]
24463
>>24462

Oh. Hi. Just want to make this cute little oni cry for no worthwhile reason.
It's not because I'm a soul-less monster or nothing.
>> No. 24464
>>24463

Sounds's fun. I'll do it twice for good luck.
>> No. 24466
>>24463
I'm glad we see eye-to-eye.

And the worthwhile reasons have been stated. Hair-ruffling a pouting Suika and obtaining free, high-grade liquor for Reimu.
>> No. 24467
File 124461348043.png - (208.80KB, 509x376, rufflan.png) [iqdb]
24467
>>24466

Rufflan' should only be done as a reward gesture or as a "Good Girl, insert name here" sort of thing.
Not as a poor ass excuse for being a douche.
>> No. 24468
Who wouldn't want to make little girls cry?
>> No. 24469
[x] "We'll forfeit this match."

That ought to really rile Suika up.
>> No. 24470
>>24467
It can also be used as a cheer-up method, or as a reassurance, or even for no reason at all. A true lover of the hair-ruffle should take any and all chances he can get.

>>24468
Amen, brother.
>> No. 24471
>>24467
She lost her horns in the final panel.
>> No. 24473
>>24471

No she didn't the arm is blocking one horn while the other is barely seen due to the upclose shot. They're there.
>> No. 24474
[X] Charge in close but at the last second sidestep away.

I just realized something... Considering Reimu had her share of drinks, wouldn't that had made Aya all the more suspicious than surprised when Reimu gave the "carrying his child" lie..?

...

Then again I bet she'd almost take any kind of dirt she can get if it gets her readers interested...
>> No. 24476
File 124465825730.jpg - (486.28KB, 1000x1200, rsml.jpg) [iqdb]
24476
[X] Charge in close but at the last second sidestep away.

We had to end this soon one way or the other. Whereas I was completely exhausted, Suika looked as lively and energetic as always. My head felt light and my knees weak, but I still tried to hold on to Reimu as firmly as I could possibly hope. “I don't think I can hold out much longer. Can we try to do this in one last move?” I admitted to Reimu.6
“We might as well.”

I stopped moving for a moment. When standing still Reimu's weight seemed like an enormous burden on my shoulders. I took a final breath and looked at our opponents. I may have said something directed at Suika as she smiled as our eyes met. I started to move straight at them, closing the distance rapidly.

Just as we were about to run into each other, I moved to the side. This final motion would have hopefully been enough to give us the edge that we needed.

I felt that an exchange occurred above my shoulders. Moments later, Reimu hopped off my shoulders. I took another deep breath, hoping to combat my ever-whitening vision and then turned around.

Reimu looked at me with a restrained grin, her hair messed up and her ribbon crooked and off-center. “That's that.” She showed me her wrist and I noticed the missing bag.
“Ah well. We didn't do so bad for a bunch of regular humans.” I collapsed to a cross-legged sitting position on the floor. Behind Reimu, Suika ran around holding Yukari up in her arms in a triumphant display. The other teams looked on sheepishly, but not bitterly.
“I guess not.” She leaned up against a tree next to me. “You look awful. Sorry about making you run around like that.”
“That's alright. I don't think we would have done as well as we did if our roles had been reversed.” You chuckle, “I don't think I could have come up with a brilliant idea like yours. I can't believe how she bought all that so easily.”
“She believes whatever she wants to believe. Besides, it's not that improbable I guess.”
“Wh-what do you mean?” Those images that were in your head mid-match came flooding back. You avoided looking at her directly.
“Well, all I'm saying is that you're better-looking than average. That probably comes off sounding weird, huh?”
“It does a bit.” You feel yourself blushing a lot, and you can't quite blame the alcohol from earlier entirely. “You're not bad yourself, actually.”
“Heh. Thanks.” You look at her again and see her smiling sincerely. “Looks like they're done celebrating for now. Let's go.”

“Again, the results were as follows: Team Awesome won and now has a total of six points, Team Reimu came in second and has 3 points,” Hey! “Team Love came in third and has one point, and finally Team... uhhh... Flying Doll came in last and has two points total.” Hmm, even though we weren't doing that well we were still in second. “Now, I've had some complains that this last activity was too intense. So we're going to take a little break before we continue. It'll be no more than an hour, so don't fall asleep!”

“If you want, you can take a bath. It might do you some good.” Reimu suggested. “I'll probably spend the next hour fending off that rabid self-styled reported and her stupid questions.”
“Thanks, I just might. Need any help with dealing with her?”
“Not likely. Although I have to admit that you being there would probably be a lot more entertaining.” She rearranges her crooked ribbon, “I couldn't hope to hear the end of it if you were there though. She'll do anything for a story.” Reimu looked around. “Well, speak of the devil.”

Aya was coming towards us with a grin on her face and her notepad open.

“Let's sit down inside before you bombard me with the usual, okay?” Reimu said with a straight face and left me to go back inside of the shrine. Aya followed obediently, not resisting the temptation to ask questions anyways.

The others were also going inside, with the exception of Alice, who remained behind, standing underneath the torii. Well, I had my options cut out for me.

[] Take a bath
[] Socialize a while
[] Remain outside and talk to Alice
>> No. 24477
[X] Take a bath

More than just to refresh...
>> No. 24478
[x] Take a bath

Maybe Mima will show.
;_;
>> No. 24479
[Q] Take a bath
>> No. 24480
File 124466167361.jpg - (691.29KB, 945x800, bathing_option.jpg) [iqdb]
24480
[X] Take a bath

Bathing option: always a good decision.
>> No. 24481
[] Take a bath
>> No. 24482
[x] Take a bath
>> No. 24483
[] Remain outside and talk to Alice
>> No. 24484
[X] Take a bath
>> No. 24485
{X} Take a bath
>> No. 24486
[x] Take a bath
[x] attempt to contact mima

THERE'S NO WAY THIS CAN GO WRONG
>> No. 24488
[x] Take a bath

It takes a while to draw a heated bath. I took my time to wash myself off first. But once it was ready, I slipped in gratefully. So what if I was being a bit antisocial? Or if I didn't exactly have a change of clean clothes? None of that mattered much now that I was soaking in the deliciously hot bathwater. “Phew.” It felt like I could almost fall asleep in here. I had been busy all day. I could here a loud voices coming from the party and that reminded just how much effort I had put into this. It wasn't that bad. I had met new people and they were a bit strange, but nice.

I couldn't let my guard down around some of them though.

“Yo~ho~” Especially this one.
“Yeah? I'm in the bath.” Heaven knows what goes on in that small head of hers. I can't understand why she's so childish.
“I know.” Suika came in just like yesterday, casually and abruptly. Her face was completely red and in one hand she held a half-empty bottle. “How ya doin'?”
“Ok. Freshening up. Is there anything that you want?” I wasn't too sure about what Suika wanted from me.
“Jus' checking if you're not upset about me totally kicking your team's ass.”
“Tch. As if.”
“There's no shame in admitting it, I even brought a little something to make up for it.” She held up the bottle with a wide grin.
“I'm good, don't worry about it.” I didn't like where this was going, and how she kept edging in closer towards me. There's something I've got to admit about her, she sure doesn't have any inhibitions. She didn't mind at all the fact that I was naked, and I feel that she would come in and do as she pleased even if I were... yeah.

“Nonsense!” She practically pounced on me, stopping short of actually leaping in the water. “This is all for fun, so someone getting upset is a big no.”
“I told you I'm not-”

Before I could protest any more, she grabbed my head and shoved the bottle in my mouth. The strong, stinging taste of spirits filled my mouth. I inadvertently drank quite a bit before I managed to elude her hold and dive under water.

“Don't do that!” I resurfaced, ticked off at Suika. “I told you I'm fine. Just go back to the party already!”
“...”
“Oh, cut that out.” Suika had flashed me the sorriest-looking sad expression ever. Her eyes were basically watering.
“But you're mad at me! I don't want Arc to be mad at me.”
“I'm not. I just want to take a nice bath, that's all. I'll go back to the party after that.”

Suika seemed to contemplate what I said for a moment. She got up and I thought she had given up. Not quite. She took a swig at the bottle and then put it down with a girlish giggle. “Well then, I guess I'll join you until then.” She undid the bow on her hair and quickly started to take off her top.

“What are you doing?” I asked in stupefaction.
“Joining you of course.” Her skirt was off and I could see her undergarments. “I can even wash your back if you want.”
“That's nice... but uh... shouldn't you be at the party?” My mind wasn't working properly now. My eyes were transfixed on her increasingly exposed body and my jaw went slack.
“They'll be fine, they're having fun by themselves. It's not fair if you're here all alone.”
“Uh...”

[] Leave and get dressed; bath time is over
[] Allow her to stay
>> No. 24490
[X] "Well, I guess you're the boss..."
[X] Allow her to stay.

Followin' orders.
>> No. 24491
[X] Allow her to stay.

Chances are if Arc tries to escape he's gonna make an already compromising situation worse.

May as well have some chat time eh?
>> No. 24492
[X] Allow her to stay.

kay
>> No. 24493
[X] Leave and get dressed; bath time is over

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be a piss against the tide.
>> No. 24494
[X] Leave and get dressed; bath time is over

If Arc was more in control of himself, then we should let her stay. But he isn't, this could be bad in more ways than one ...

>>24493

I agree ...
>> No. 24495
[X] Leave and get dressed; bath time is over
>> No. 24496
>[x] Try to leave; get pinned down by Suika.
>[x] Allow her to stay; get pinned down by Suika.
[x] Pin down Suika ourselves; get pinned down by Reimu.
[x] Get pinned down by Reimu; get pinned down by every girl at the party.

I imagine Aya coming in, catching us, making a big fuss, causing others to come in, then someone slips on the wet floor, colliding with the others, and everybody winds up in a dog-pile on a naked Arc, dick most likely pressing up against someone's ass/breast/squarely on a face.
>> No. 24497
[!/] Leave and get dressed; bath time is over

A not jostling the vase option!
>> No. 24498
[x] Allow her to stay.
[x] If anyone comes in, blame it on the alcohol. Bathing, party, bathing-party.
>> No. 24499
>>24496

This stupid horndog option must be from a new 'n improved HY fanboy.
>> No. 24500
[x] Allow her to stay.

no excuse needed!
>> No. 24501
[X] Leave and get dressed; bath time is over

There will be no vase jostling.
>> No. 24503
[X]Allow her to stay

You don't honestly think Suika's gonna let Arc go away from her that easily right; or at least without making things worse for Arc by forcing out a "debt" he owes.
>> No. 24504
[x] Leave and get dressed; bath time is over
>> No. 24508
[X] Leave and get dressed; bath time is over
>> No. 24509
[x] Leave and get dressed; bath time is over
>> No. 24510
[X] Leave and get dressed; bath time is over
>> No. 24511
I was waiting for the tie to break, but now I'm too tired to write an update. There'll be something after I sleep.

>>24496
That scenario has a severe lack of Mima.
>> No. 24512
That's some nice vote spam there.
>> No. 24513
>>24512

You're just pissed your option didn't win.
>> No. 24514
[X'(k)] Allow her to get dressed, do a convolution between her clothes and water. Integrate her warmth. Bath time is over.
>> No. 24517
File 124471560220.png - (96.73KB, 299x314, sadcirnoissad.png) [iqdb]
24517
>>24513

Maybe... sniff... maybe...
>> No. 24518
>>24517
>>24513
>>24512

Cmon authors can tell when there's vote spamming and when there's a general agreement on a set of actions...

Is it the norm that votespams are actually counted around here..?
>> No. 24521
>>24518
In the absence of a mod coming in and settling the issue or it being really blatantly obvious I think they mostly get the benefit of the doubt.
>> No. 24522
Alright writing now.

>>24521
That's all I can really do about it. If anyone wants to go and get a mod and ask, go ahead though, I work on the assumption that everyone is honest. I mean, if you feel like spamming a vote in interactive fanfiction, that's your call.
>> No. 24523
[x] Leave and get dressed; bath time is over

“Well. I'm done.” I managed to collect myself before I became too distracted by naked flesh. It was hard to do, no matter how I may have felt about her, seeing her discrete features were an altogether distracting novelty. I got up and strut past Suika and got my towel.

“Why are you leaving?” Suika drooped her shoulders. “Am I not good enough for you?” Her words struck a weird chord with me. Was this something more than she had let on?
“It's not appropriate for us to take a bath together.” I toweled myself off.
“Oh, I see.”
“It's nothing personal, I would feel uncomfortable with anyo-”
“Yaah~!”

The world spun around me before I came crashing down on the hard floor. I protested this sudden act of violence with a groan. Suika laughed, pinning me down with an arm with more strength than I would have thought imaginable. “Sounds to me like you're just an old fuddy-duddy.” Again she overwhelmed me with a combination of brute strength and boldness, she shoved the not-quite-empty bottle into my mouth. “Drink until you loosen up!”

I had no way out of that one. I drank, nearly choking, the rest of the contents of the bottle. The strong distinct flavor of the barley-based spirit was enough to make me gag. Suika removed the bottle with a smile, obviously pleased.

“That's not funny!” I yelled out between gasps for air. I was more angry than anything else, enough to override any feelings I would have felt from having her bare flesh rubbing up against mine.
“It was necessary.” Suika let go and stood up. “What's the point of a party if you can't lighten up?”
“I'm not a guest! I'm here because I was forced to come. Geez, what is it with you!?” I stood up, leaning on the wall for support and put my clothes on as quickly as I could.

I left without so much looking at the oni again, closing the door as she announced her intentions. “I'm taking a quick dip now.”

I stormed out, coping with the effect of having drunk a quarter of a bottle in one go on an empty stomach. I sighed and tried to keep my head on straight. The temptation to sit down and brood was great, but I managed to work my way towards the party again. I stopped short from entering the room. I peeked through the opening;

They were all talking at the same time, mostly smiling and some flush in the face. In other words, having fun at a party. I had my doubts however, given how I could hear Aya's voice even halfway to the bathroom, still making some sort of accusation against Reimu or alternatively prodding Marisa for more 'information'. I wasn't sure that I could stand it frankly, my foul mood hadn't dispelled in the walk from the bathroom to here.

I circled around outside and sat on the side porch just outside the door. With my knees tucked up against my chest, I leaned back against the thin wall that separated me and the party. There was a sigh and I began going through a series of increasingly dark thoughts. The hold the alcohol had on me intensified with time.

“This is not the best sport in the shrine if you don't want to get seen.”
“I'm not trying to hide.”
“It looks to me like you are. But I suppose its none of my business.”
“...” I looked up at the person who was talking to me. My eyes locked into her clear and unflinching counterparts. “Shouldn't you be in there with them?”
“I could say the same thing about you. I had understood that they were paying you for this.”
“That's yet to be seen.” I let out a sigh. “I'm no more than a toy really.”
“I see.” The sullen girl said simply. She changed the topic abruptly, not particularly caring about your problems. “You performed some sort of magic earlier, could you explain what it was?”
“What?”
“When mixing the drink you did something at the end. I wish to know what you did.” There was an insistent vibe I detected in her voice, an almost pushy quality.
“Oh, that was nothing.” I didn't feel like bringing up a subject I wasn't very knowledgeable about.
“It was something.” She didn't even hesitate in reiterating her interest.

“Hey let's go back outside. It's hot in here!” Marisa complained loudly. There were several voices agreeing with her. I saw Alice frown slightly at the implication.

[] Rejoin the party
[] Walk off and continue talking to Alice
>> No. 24524
[] Walk off and continue talking to Alice
>> No. 24525
[] Walk off and continue talking to Alice

Oh great, now we've rejected Suika.
>> No. 24526
[∞] Walk off and continue talking to Alice.

I get the impression Suika wont give up that easily. She could start thinking Arc is hers and hers alone.
>> No. 24527
>>24525
That's okay, we're on Raymoo route.

[X] Walk off and continue talking to Alice
>> No. 24528
[X] Walk off and continue talking to Alice
>> No. 24529
[X] Walk off and continue talking to Alice

Alice good for clearing the mind...

usually...
>> No. 24530
[X] Walk off and continue talking to Alice
quickly! before they spot us!
>> No. 24531
[x] Walk off and continue talking to Alice

I got up and grabbed Alice's hand. “Come.” Despite my sudden movement, she offered no resistance and went along with no change in expression. I led Alice along to another part of the shrine, away from the hustle and bustle of the party. “I would rather not be with everyone again just yet.” I explained myself, letting go of her soft hand.

“I understand.” She nodded. “They will come for us eventually, since they wish to carry on with those games.”
“Blame Suika for that. I'm supposed to be organizing the alcohol, not playing around.”
“Well, now that we're alone, do you care to explain?” She changed the subject abruptly.
“You mean about the magic? I told you, it's not a big deal.”
“Nevertheless, I want to hear about it.” Her pressure was noticeable, but she didn't completely lack tact, warming up enough to show a smile. “I'm interested to know where and how you learned to do that.”
“I didn't do anything that special, did I? I mean, it was just a sparkle, right?”
“What I actually saw isn't that important. Practically anyone who can use magic can do something like that. It's almost like breathing to a magician to be able to do something of that sort.” As if to emphasize her point, she created a small glowing orb in her hand. “What I want to know, is how you became a magician and how much do you know.”
“How come?”
“I thought I was the one asking for the explanations here.” A casual shrug, she seemed to be lightening up as the conversation progressed. “But if you must know, it's because I'm curious. It's not every day I meet a magician, especially one that's a seemingly normal villager.”
“Isn't Marisa normal as well?”
“Her? Normal?” She scoffed. “That's what she claims, but there's nothing normal or ordinary about her.”

I chalked that one up to their apparently complicated history together.

“I have to admit that I'm new to the world of magic.”
“I see. How far along have you come with your abilities?”
“I”m not really sure. I'm extremely new at this.” Not to mention that it wasn't really my power either.
“Just started? Is there a book or manuscript that's been helping you?”
“No, nothing of the sort...”
“It couldn't be that you intuitively discovered magic on your own, could it?” Her interest in the possibility was clearly visible, as if that would somehow make me a cut above everyone else.
“Uh no.” My head was light. I wasn't really thinking clearly, “I'm borrowing this power from an amazing person for now.”
“Borrowing? It couldn't be-” A sly smile appeared on her face. “I can't believe she would do that. After all that talk... the only way for someone of her skill to transfer power is via direct contact.” Alice focused her eyes at me with a smug look, “Tell me, did she ask you to keep close to me after she gave herself to you?”
“Gave herself to me? What are you talking about?”
“Don't act coy, I”m talking about Marisa of course. I thought she would try something to try to humble me, but to cast away her dignity like that...”
“I really have no clue what you're talking about. I didn't know her until yesterday.”
“That sounds about as impulsive as she usually is.”
“Look, I really have no clue what you're on about. And I don't appreciate you implying that I've gone around and... you know, without reason to. I barely know her.”

Alice laughed. It was the first time I heard her laugh. It would have been a pleasant laugh, if not for the haughty look that accompanied it.

“Well, I see this as an opportunity.” She smiled at me. “If you abandon your allegiance to her and promise to cooperate against her when the time comes, I'll teach you a thing or two about magic. The proper way, without cheapening the art behind it.”
“But I'm telling you that it's nothing like that.”
“Then would you care to explain how else you became able to use magic?” She pressured me again, this time with a smile, “I won't ask any questions or details about your deal with her as long as you promise to cooperate.”

I had one more thing that I could try to tell her that might work. Otherwise she would just lump me as in cahoots with Marisa. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to tell, despite all the alcohol I had ingested.

[] Agree to help her
[] Refuse to help her while denying her assumptions
[] Tell her about Mima
>> No. 24533
>>24531

[x] "I can't do that. The only thing I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."
[x] Walk back to the party.
>> No. 24534
[x] "I can't do that. The only thing I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."
[x] Walk back to the party.
>> No. 24536
[X] "I can't do that. The only thing I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."
[X] Walk back to the party.
>> No. 24537
[x] "I can't do that. The only thing I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."
[x] Walk back to the party.
>> No. 24538
[x] Agree to help her

Here's why: For one thing Arc won't be snitching on Mima, and since Mima doesn't seem to be willing to contact him at the moment (or power degrading on Arc..?) Some assistance from Alice couldn't possibly hurt right..?

At least this would give Mima something to work on since all she did was basically give the key. Arc just needs some guidance for now.

also I must iterate...

NO SNITCHING ON MIMA ARC~!
& a Reimu on the side is fine too.
>> No. 24539
[-] Try contacting Mima mentally to ask for assistance. This is a tricky spot, and her cover is important, right?
>If no Mimassistance is forthcoming:
[d] "My magic was a gift, all right? It has nothing to do with Marisa. She's not even my type, and she didn't do anything at all to or with me."
[a] "You do seem to be more... serious about the magic thing, I guess. There's no allegiance with her for me to drop, anyway, so if I had to choose between just you or her--
[☆] "Wait, hold on. 'Cooperate against her when the time comes'? What the hell? ...I hope you're referring to the next one of Suika's games."
>If it isn't about Suika's game:
[z] "Is this some ... I don't know, magician's feud, or something? If it's about to turn into a fight, then count me out. I owe nothing to either of you, and I want no part of that."
>Either way, conclude with:
[e] "Look, all I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."
[~] Turn 360 degrees and moonwalk the hell out of there Walk back to the party.

>>24531
>“I really have no clue what you're talking about. I didn't know her until yesterday.”
>“That sounds about as impulsive as she usually is.”
Damn, what a burn.
>> No. 24540
[x] "I can't do that. The only thing I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."
[x] Walk back to the party.
>> No. 24541
>>24539
[x] This
>> No. 24542
>>24539

A solid plan.

Also Suika is pissing me off.
>> No. 24543
[x] "I can't do that. The only thing I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."
[x] Walk back to the party.
>> No. 24544
[-] Try contacting Mima mentally to ask for assistance. This is a tricky spot, and her cover is important, right?
>If no Mimassistance is forthcoming:
[d] "My magic was a gift, all right? It has nothing to do with Marisa. She's not even my type, and she didn't do anything at all to or with me."
[a] "You do seem to be more... serious about the magic thing, I guess. There's no allegiance with her for me to drop, anyway, so if I had to choose between just you or her--
[☆] "Wait, hold on. 'Cooperate against her when the time comes'? What the hell? ...I hope you're referring to the next one of Suika's games."
>If it isn't about Suika's game:
[z] "Is this some ... I don't know, magician's feud, or something? If it's about to turn into a fight, then count me out. I owe nothing to either of you, and I want no part of that."
>Either way, conclude with:
[e] "Look, all I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."


I like your plan, accept I want to see more of Alice now that she's being more comfortable with us
>> No. 24545
[-] Try contacting Mima mentally to ask for assistance. This is a tricky spot, and her cover is important, right?
>If no Mimassistance is forthcoming:
[d] "My magic was a gift, all right? It has nothing to do with Marisa. She's not even my type, and she didn't do anything at all to or with me."
[a] "You do seem to be more... serious about the magic thing, I guess. There's no allegiance with her for me to drop, anyway, so if I had to choose between just you or her--
[☆] "Wait, hold on. 'Cooperate against her when the time comes'? What the hell? ...I hope you're referring to the next one of Suika's games."
>If it isn't about Suika's game:
[z] "Is this some ... I don't know, magician's feud, or something? If it's about to turn into a fight, then count me out. I owe nothing to either of you, and I want no part of that."
>Either way, conclude with:
[e] "Look, all I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."


Complicated. I like it.
>> No. 24546
File 12447754892.jpg - (95.99KB, 550x757, 1215201168118.jpg) [iqdb]
24546
>the only way for someone of her skill to transfer power is via direct contact

Direct contact with Mima...does that mean we got laid in Alice terms?

>It would have been a pleasant laugh, if not for the haughty look that accompanied it.

OH HO HO HO.

[x] "I can't do that. The only thing I can tell you is that the person is probably stronger than Marisa."
[x] Walk back to the party.
>> No. 24547
[x] "My power is borrowed from a God; I cannot reveal her name or origins. It will most likely fade by the end of this day, anyway. There is no point in being interested in me."
>> No. 24548
[x] "I can't do that. The only thing I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."
[x] Walk back to the party.
>> No. 24549
[-] Try contacting Mima mentally to ask for assistance. This is a tricky spot, and her cover is important, right?
>If no Mimassistance is forthcoming:
[d] "My magic was a gift, all right? It has nothing to do with Marisa. She's not even my type, and she didn't do anything at all to or with me."
[a] "You do seem to be more... serious about the magic thing, I guess. There's no allegiance with her for me to drop, anyway, so if I had to choose between just you or her--
[☆] "Wait, hold on. 'Cooperate against her when the time comes'? What the hell? ...I hope you're referring to the next one of Suika's games."
>If it isn't about Suika's game:
[z] "Is this some ... I don't know, magician's feud, or something? If it's about to turn into a fight, then count me out. I owe nothing to either of you, and I want no part of that."
>Either way, conclude with:
[e] "Look, all I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."

in some combination with

[x] "My power is borrowed from a God; I cannot reveal her name or origins. It will most likely fade by the end of this day, anyway. There is no point in being interested in me."

The old 'it's not magic, it's divine power' chestnut. Since it's not even a lie (a mistake), it will pass the oni lie detection test.

Alice's analytical mind, being also drunk and paranoid, will cobble together the idea that the miko is grooming you to be her husband, all under the pretense of being Suika's hireling and playmate. After all, the shrine maiden allowing a youkai to push around a defenseless human right in front of her? No, by all outside appearances, Suika takes her orders from Reimu. Wouldn't the child's family be concerned and alerting the schoolteacher if this were not in fact a carefully engineered plan to dupe a boy, one with what could be enormous untapped magical potential (why else would an oni take such an interest in a human, and how else could that human then survive?) in strengthening the Hakurei line? The very line that displaced her from her own homeland?
>> No. 24550
>>24549

At least delete your old post, christ.
>> No. 24551
>>24549
>Alice's analytical mind, being also drunk and paranoid,
Oh yeah. I forgot that everyone's been drinking.
...Alice is a sinister drunk, then, it seems. This is truly the power of seclusion and bitterness. It is not a pretty sight.
>> No. 24552
>>24551

And on top of that, if Arc does wind up pursuing her in the end...
Maybe I just can't get it out of my head from a certain story I read, but I can't help but think Alice will get overly attached because her human desires and her yokai way of thinking will mutually agree about Arc, and he'll end up having to help her through that bitterness to bring any kind of relationship they may have to a more normal arrangement. If that makes any sense.
>> No. 24553
>>24552

So, in short, she's clingy?

Oh well, I still like her. Better to be wanted too much than not to be wanted at all.
>> No. 24554
>>24553
>Better to be wanted too much than not to be wanted at all.

FLA gives the lie to that one.
>> No. 24555
[-] Try contacting Mima mentally to ask for assistance. This is a tricky spot, and her cover is important, right?
>If no Mimassistance is forthcoming:
[d] "My magic was a gift, all right? It has nothing to do with Marisa. She's not even my type, and she didn't do anything at all to or with me."
[a] "You do seem to be more... serious about the magic thing, I guess. There's no allegiance with her for me to drop, anyway, so if I had to choose between just you or her--
[☆] "Wait, hold on. 'Cooperate against her when the time comes'? What the hell? ...I hope you're referring to the next one of Suika's games."
>If it isn't about Suika's game:
[z] "Is this some ... I don't know, magician's feud, or something? If it's about to turn into a fight, then count me out. I owe nothing to either of you, and I want no part of that."
>Either way, conclude with:
[e] "Look, all I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."
Eh, whatever.
>> No. 24556
[X] Try contacting Mima mentally to ask for assistance. This is a tricky spot, and her cover is important, right?
>If no Mimassistance is forthcoming:
[X] "My magic was a gift, all right? It has nothing to do with Marisa. She's not even my type, and she didn't do anything at all to or with me."
[X] "You do seem to be more... serious about the magic thing, I guess. There's no allegiance with her for me to drop, anyway, so if I had to choose between just you or her--
[X] "Wait, hold on. 'Cooperate against her when the time comes'? What the hell? ...I hope you're referring to the next one of Suika's games."
>If it isn't about Suika's game:
[X] "Is this some ... I don't know, magician's feud, or something? If it's about to turn into a fight, then count me out. I owe nothing to either of you, and I want no part of that."
>Either way, conclude with:
[X] "Look, all I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."
>> No. 24557
[X] Try contacting Mima mentally to ask for assistance. This is a tricky spot, and her cover is important, right?
>If no Mimassistance is forthcoming:
[X] "My magic was a gift, all right? It has nothing to do with Marisa. She's not even my type, and she didn't do anything at all to or with me."
[X] "You do seem to be more... serious about the magic thing, I guess. There's no allegiance with her for me to drop, anyway, so if I had to choose between just you or her--
[X] "Wait, hold on. 'Cooperate against her when the time comes'? What the hell? ...I hope you're referring to the next one of Suika's games."
>If it isn't about Suika's game:
[X] "Is this some ... I don't know, magician's feud, or something? If it's about to turn into a fight, then count me out. I owe nothing to either of you, and I want no part of that."
>Either way, conclude with:
[X] "Look, all I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."

What can possibly go wrong?
>> No. 24558
>What can possibly go wrong?

This line, along with "I've got a bad feeling about this" evokes images of the worst possible outcome imaginable to a given situation for me.

Of course that's just me. And whatever fiery catastrophes and domineering antics by certain characters may occur to me within the domains of my bountiful imagination, you can rest assured that it won't translate into the story unless appriopiate.

Anyways, can't write now. So something in either a couple of hours' time or just tomorrow.
>> No. 24559
[-] Try contacting Mima mentally to ask for assistance. This is a tricky spot, and her cover is important, right?
>If no Mimassistance is forthcoming:
[d] "My magic was a gift, all right? It has nothing to do with Marisa. She's not even my type, and she didn't do anything at all to or with me."
[a] "You do seem to be more... serious about the magic thing, I guess. There's no allegiance with her for me to drop, anyway, so if I had to choose between just you or her--
[☆] "Wait, hold on. 'Cooperate against her when the time comes'? What the hell? ...I hope you're referring to the next one of Suika's games."
>If it isn't about Suika's game:
[z] "Is this some ... I don't know, magician's feud, or something? If it's about to turn into a fight, then count me out. I owe nothing to either of you, and I want no part of that."
>Either way, conclude with:
[e] "Look, all I can tell you is that the person is stronger than Marisa."
>> No. 24560
>>24558

I don't usually expect fluffy cats suddenly being the 'reward' for a really bad move, but I tend to apply it in real life as a reminder for others to think of the consequences of their actions. Rather than me saying "Think before you act" which would be ignored utterly I tend to say that other line.

It sometimes works... sometimes...

then again I'm the methodical type that usually tries to always have a contingency plan...
>> No. 24561
>>24560
No, you're the rambling, incomprehensible type, if your posts are any indication.
>> No. 24563
I'll start writing in around a half hour more. Should no take very long to finish I think.

>>24561
He may be all that, but I understand because I'm occasionally the same.
>> No. 24567
>>24563

hooray
>> No. 24582
updates?
>> No. 24601
File 124529506320.png - (369.38KB, 567x561, 9b427fa9cb23636f39795dec4f0067ba.png) [iqdb]
24601
>>24582

No updates ;_;
>> No. 24604
Mima died because of lack of updates.
>> No. 24619
There once was a writefag on /shrine/
Whose tale had lots of spirits and wine
He wrote a little ditty,
and felt very giddy,
forgetting that an update was fine

...

Yeah. Sorry about that. Updating in a while. Probably start a new thread while I'm at it. Shouldn't be longer than an hour or two.
>> No. 24627
>>24619

Hooray!
>> No. 24631
>Shouldn't be longer than seven minutes.
>> No. 24632
>>24631

If I'm not too burnt out, I'll attempt to finish it in a bit. So maybe just seven(ty) minutes more?
>> No. 24634
>>24632

Hooray!
>> No. 24646
What does Harker and Anon shrine-writefag have in common?

they are both liars ;_;
>> No. 24648
>>24646

Except for one thing though, at the very least the anon-writefag here admits to possibly being "burnt out" for the time being...

>If I'm not too burnt out, I'll attempt to finish it in a bit.


[Switch to Mobile Page]
Thread Watcher x