- [Settings] [Home
[Show or hide post box]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Bottom]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (Reply to 59391)
Message
File
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Further overview of board culture in this thread.
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • View catalog

File 13814767619.jpg - (192.23KB, 850x1260, sample-125d8ea2154c44081b639950583a64b6.jpg) [iqdb]
59391 No. 59391
You are Patchouli Knowledge, a physically frail and sickly magician of profound aptitude and power. You live in the Voile Archives of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, though you have constructed an attached tower elsewhere, without internal fixtures as yet, which you may or may not inhabit much. You are Friends with Remilia, the vampire who owns the mansion, who considers it entirely too much effort to try to feed off you. Your Magical Potency varies somewhat from day to day, depending on how long of an incantation you can manage before breaking off into a fit of coughs, and how much strain your body can handle in addition to the rigors of illness. You currently have a box of ninety three vials of Medication stored in the library to offset the worst of the days, however, though it will later exact a toll, and your new Magical Focus eases use of magic to a significant degree. It seems that Luck can play a reasonable part in keeping yourself healthy, though effects may vary, as can the Hakurei Hot Spring.

Your magic is based on Elementalism primarily, though you are also skilled in Diabolism and Other Summonings, which can be surprisingly versatile, particularly in combination with Golems. You can also create Homunculi, if you have the materials to hand. You do not have any suitable samples of the key ingredient, however.

The date is Aug. 31. It is Wednesday, day of Mercury, of Messages and Water and Versatility. Through dint of long and methodical practice, you find the use of Water-natured elemental magics to come a touch easier on this day.

-----

Well, no reason not to make preparations before leaving the tower. It will take a while, without a specific spell, and be delicate work. More so because you aren't in a state to rush things.

But you have enough time. And you think you have a decent receptacle for the lunar forces as well. You carefully detach the moon from your hat before starting the work.

Some time passes before you speak, the business in your hands requiring more steady feeding of power than focused attention at all times. And you can take a moment to talk. Or just listen.

Mostly listen.

But you get little from the meandering words. Either Tewi doesn't wish to actually divulge her plans for the near future, or she simply and honestly does not have anything in specific that bears mentioning. Either possibility seems a reasonable guess. She is, after all, both a trickster of some nature and a being of impulse.

Still, you aren't sure whether it's best to assume one possibility or the other.

In any case, you would prefer to arrive an hour before the event, considering that you have been informed that they might begin fully half an hour before the stated time. But when it comes down to it, the mystic working takes time.

You have forty five minutes, when it is finally finished and you place the moon carefully back onto your hat. The working will only last a day or so at most, as it's constantly bleeding off the energy placed within it to perform its function, dulling noise and deadening sound, hushing the surroundings from speech to a hushed whisper, and from a shout to normal conversation.

You have to spend a few more minutes quietly seated and drinking a cup of water before you are prepared to attempt to open a portal to the match, as Tewi watches thoughtfully.

You arrive thirty seven minutes in advance of the stated time, and to a great hustle and bustle of small crowds. Some number are neutral, casually seeming to enjoy the event as they move towards the stands to find seating, prepared to watch even if there seems to be a touch of... calm resignation to their features, as though they all already know, more or less, how the event will conclude. Of the rest, half are excessively confident and smug, and the other half are twitchy, jumpy, and slightly stressed but nonetheless seem almost bleakly hopeful.

There is a harried man attempting to collect wagers as you pass, but even as he offers frankly ludicrous and absurd payouts for one team's victory, nobody takes him up on it, and he does not accept bets on the other team at all.

In the distance, you can pick out Flitwick in another stand. His diminutive size makes him easy to spot, in comparison to those around him, though peer as you might you cannot make out any other teachers at this distance. You do not recognize the woman next to him, though she matches the current times' aesthetic sense of beauty, tall and mostly thin but with excessive padding about the hips and quite a generous bust line. You can make out no further details from here save the conversely average brown hair.

You are somewhat disappointed when, fifteen minutes before the listed time, impatience wins the day and the match begins. It is at first a depressingly ordinary sort of a sport, catch the ball and put it through a hoop, despite that all the players fly on brooms and there are three goals on either side to guard.

Then you feel something drawing against you, a soft sort of pulling, and though you shut it down your breath catches in your throat.

This is not a game.

..... Well, it is a game, and a sport, but it is not just that.

Twice seven players and twice three goals, with one, two, and one further spheres of importance, performed entirely within or only slightly outside a carefully measured and marked ring.

This is a ritual circle.

Magic is being performed here, fascinatingly subtle and yet alarmingly blatant in the same stroke, as the players and the field create a constantly shifting ritual circle... pattern, rather, for a circle exists in only two dimensions where this ventures into three, and the working being done here draws power from the onlookers to...

Something. To do something, you know not what, but even with the impossibly small portion of power it seeks to draw away and use, spread across and taken from so many onlookers equally, it is brilliant and insane, and of course the audience will not even notice being slightly tired, as raucous cheers erupt from many throats with the same breath, they expect to get involved, to cheer, to participate and become a little weary through the event, and this magic drawn away goes, goes to....

Something.

It is doing something, though you know not what.

You prevent it from drawing from you, because even if you might afford even now a small measure, and even if it will restore itself effortlessly in time, you are jealous with what is yours.

Tewi calls laughing advice to the players, not mystically inclined to recognize or care about the arcane workings before her, but you cannot help but be at least a little hypnotized by the proceedings.

The score stands at forty points to zero, but that hardly matters at all. You forcibly move away the mystic leech trying once more to quietly attach itself for just a sip, and your thoughts whir.

----

[ ] ???
Expand all images
>> No. 59393
[x] Not an immediate threat, so hasty action is unnecessary. Attempt to determine if the circle was set up for this event specifically, of if it is older. Consider contacting Yakumo's pet fox to see if she or her master have any awareness of or interest in such a subtle plot.
>> No. 59394
[x] Make attempts to disrupt or scry the meaning of the ritual, maybe use some "trojan" energy containing your own spell to do so.

This isn't Yakumo's style, she wouldn't use a complex magical ritual such as this as her power works completely differently.
>> No. 59395
[x] Not an immediate threat, so hasty action is unnecessary. Attempt to determine if the circle was set up for this event specifically, of if it is older.
[X] Try to figure out what the ritual does and if defensive measures are called for (if it, for example, induces a mental change in the audience)
>> No. 59396
[X] Not an immediate threat, so hasty action is unnecessary. Attempt to determine if the circle was set up for this event specifically, of if it is older.
[X] Try to figure out what the ritual does and if defensive measures are called for (if it, for example, induces a mental change in the audience)
>> No. 59397
[x] Not an immediate threat, so hasty action is unnecessary. Attempt to determine if the circle was set up for this event specifically, of if it is older.
[X] Try to figure out what the ritual does and if defensive measures are called for.


Find our whether or not we need to (or even should) meddle with it before meddling with it.

It might just be a setup to cheaply power the magical extra effects (illusions that fill the role of giant screens for close ups and replays, voice enhancement for the commentators, and so on) and the magical "safety nets" to prevent serious accidents, in which case it would be a bad idea to disrupt it.

Or it might be a dark ritual that will ruin everyone's day, in which case we definitely should meddle with it.
>> No. 59398
The circle is part of the very nature of the game. Look at the description of the ritual. One two and one, three hoops and three, quidditch is, of itself, some kind of grand(?) Ritual.

[X] Try to figure out what the ritual does and if defensive measures are called for. People will do a great many foolish things in pursuit of 'fun' and 'excitement'.
>> No. 59399
[x] Not an immediate threat, so hasty action is unnecessary. Attempt to determine if the circle was set up for this event specifically, of if it is older.
[X] Let Tewi and Flitwick know what's going on.
-[X] If either of them don't believe you, create a small mote of fairy fire above one hand, and let them watch it slowly get pulled towards the field.
>> No. 59400
>I guess if I really had to be in space for some reason I would try running really fast, then jumping really high, and achieving escape velocity.
Reminded me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFRq4DxqaMo

Anyway
[X] Let Tewi and Flitwick know what's going on.
-[X] If either of them don't believe you, create a small mote of fairy fire above one hand, and let them watch it slowly get pulled towards the field.
There's no reason not to hurry.
>> No. 59401
[x] Not an immediate threat, so hasty action is unnecessary. Attempt to determine if the circle was set up for this event specifically, or if it is older.
[X] Let Tewi and Flitwick know what's going on.
-[X] If either of them don't believe you, create a small mote of fairy fire above one hand, and let them watch it slowly get pulled towards the field.
[X] Try to figure out what the ritual does and if defensive measures are called for.
-[X] If need be, extend those defenses over Tewi as well. She is here on our invite. Allowing our guest to come to harm is just not done.

We should also remember from whom the tickets came. Lucius Malfoy owes at least a token allegiance to this Dark Lord character, and thanks to his son's big mouth, we know this. This could be part of some attempt to silence us before we spread that information…. Or perhaps they just wish to capture us and force us to aid them…. (1.)

Our current health isn't such that we should be getting into battles to the death right now, so on that note—

[X] If attacked by Death Eaters we flee, unless Tewi wishes to play with them, in such a case, we back her up as well as we can. Ultimately, as soon as we can safely do so, we locate Serverus Snape and Lucius Malfoy and feed them both to Koakuma. (I wonder if they'd recognize the Bloody Queen?)

Not everyone in the world is like Dumbledore, Snivellus, Lucy, unlike him and his, we won't turn the other cheek. If you are involved in an attempt to kill us, we will return the favor. And if we're lucky, Yukari will find your deaths entertaining enough that we might not have to worry about her portals for a day or two.

(1.) I'm sure Lucius told Voldemort about the sapphire we gave him, and possibly the comment we made about how a recreation of Malfoy Manor constructed entirely of emeralds, the purest of jade, and gold would not impact our coffers in any significant way. Even a fraction of that much gold would be useful in their bid to take over Britain, and I doubt the Death Eaters are above plain old-fashioned greed.

If this is something more subtle than Voldemort and his Death Eaters, we'll attempt to deal with as it comes.
>> No. 59402
Not only are you guys using metaknowledge, you're using it wrong.

>>59398

Quidditch itself is a magical ritual. This isn't something related to this specific match or place.

It's the nature of the game
>> No. 59403
>>59402

I'm not seeing any metaknowledge in the votes. What are you talking about?
>> No. 59404
[X] Not an immediate threat, so hasty action is unnecessary. Attempt to determine if the circle was set up for this event specifically, of if it is older.
[X] Try to figure out what the ritual does and if defensive measures are called for.
[X] For now, investigate quietly. You can decide who, if anyone, to tell after you get more information.
>> No. 59405
[x] Rig the match in favor of the team expected to lose. No one messes with your magic and gets away unpunished.
[x] Make note of studying this sport later.
>> No. 59406
Quidditch is actually a complex magic ritual what the fuuuuck.

[X] Not an immediate threat, so hasty action is unnecessary. Attempt to determine if the circle was set up for this event or location specifically, or if it is an intrinsic part of this game.
[X] Try to figure out what the ritual does and if defensive measures are called for.
-[X] It could simply be powering the scoreboard, various flying balls, and whatnot. Do they really need that much power, though?
-[X] That betting-man was quite certain of the outcome of the match, suggesting the winner of the game is all but predetermined. This may simply be due to a huge difference in skill, but it could also mean the magic shifts the odds against a specific team. If you recall, one mundane team in North America still suffers from a curse laid down by an angered mage.
--[X]Of course, here the very foundations of the sport are fundamental components of the ritual. Far more likely that the ritual motions reliably cause a certain team to win if there's any effect on game. The players may not even realize they're participating in a magical ritual, just feeling an impulse to dart this way instead of that, or throw the ball into a certain hoop, completely unwittingly furthering a ritual that perhaps has been completely forgotten as a ritual, only remembered as a game...
[X] For now, investigate quietly. You can decide who, if anyone, to tell after you get more information.
[X] Ask a few innocent questions to Flitwick if you need any sort of information on the subject not readily apparent by observing the game.
>> No. 59407
[x] Not an immediate threat, no action necessary. Just continue resisting the attack.

It's probably just a magical ritual to suck the common sense out of the people.
>> No. 59408
[X] Not an immediate threat, so hasty action is unnecessary. Attempt to determine if the circle was set up for this event or location specifically, or if it is an intrinsic part of this game.
[X] Try to figure out what the ritual does and if defensive measures are called for.
-[X] It could simply be powering the scoreboard, various flying balls, and whatnot. Do they really need that much power, though?
-[X] That betting-man was quite certain of the outcome of the match, suggesting the winner of the game is all but predetermined. This may simply be due to a huge difference in skill, but it could also mean the magic shifts the odds against a specific team. If you recall, one mundane team in North America still suffers from a curse laid down by an angered mage.
--[X]Of course, here the very foundations of the sport are fundamental components of the ritual. Far more likely that the ritual motions reliably cause a certain team to win if there's any effect on game. The players may not even realize they're participating in a magical ritual, just feeling an impulse to dart this way instead of that, or throw the ball into a certain hoop, completely unwittingly furthering a ritual that perhaps has been completely forgotten as a ritual, only remembered as a game...
[X] For now, investigate quietly. You can decide who, if anyone, to tell after you get more information.
[X] Ask a few innocent questions to Flitwick if you need any sort of information on the subject not readily apparent by observing the game.
>> No. 59409
[X] Make a note to inquire with Dumbledore about the possible purpose of this ritual.

Investigating it could be interesting but why not ask to see if anything about it is already known first? Patchy isn't above getting information from other sources (all her reading) when she has a problem.
>> No. 59412
>>59409
Mostly because I would at least like to have some idea of what it's doing before I continue to sit next to it and Dumbledore isn't handy.
>> No. 59414
[x] Not an immediate threat, so hasty action is unnecessary. Attempt to determine if the circle was set up for this event specifically, of if it is older.
[X] Try to figure out what the ritual does and if defensive measures are called for (if it, for example, induces a mental change in the audience)
>> No. 59423
File 138201212020.jpg - (178.11KB, 525x467, incomprehension.jpg) [iqdb]
59423
What to do.

.... What can you do? And should you do anything, more to the point.

It's obviously designed to be inobtrusive, whatever it is and whatever it is doing. You can tell that right off. It doesn't touch the other spells and enchantments in place, or it would already be blatant, as the dull roar of the crowds would not be so muted. It is a subtle work, not taking what would be readily noticed, only sipping lightly and briefly and then away. Masterfully subtle.

Impossibly incomprehensible.

Maddeningly clear and entirely opaque.

What is it doing?

Over and over, your mind tries to fit the pieces together. But they don't match. It's as though you are trying to solve a jigsawed puzzle, carved of blank and unadorned chips of wood, and with no way of knowing that there are truly only portions of several different sets mixed together.

You don't understand what it's doing. How it's working. By all your understanding of magic, it should not work.

A ritual circle is, after all, a circle.

More than that, it is rigid, unerring, and scrupulously exact. It obligates perfection, for the slightest error at any point courts disaster.

To move such a circle into three dimensions should, by its very nature, increase the difficulty, adjust the standards, shift the requirements by entire orders of magnitudes. A construction of clockwork mechanisms, perhaps, would be the only way to even attempt such a feat reliably, and you balk at what it would take to put such a thing into arcane motion.

To perform such a feat with, instead, the blind flailings about of enchanted orbs and introducing the variables of living, thinking, and ever so subject to spontaneous changings of course humans, that....

You cannot comprehend it. And yet you cannot help but marvel. Like some snuffling mongrel, rooting about in the dirt, bumping against a wall and being given cause to look up, and in this strange and new direction witnessing the sun and moon glowing above, and vast fields of uncountable stars.

It is alarming.

You cannot help but be somewhat enraptured, fascinated, by this arcane masterpiece.

You cannot help but be dismayed and infuriated, to realize that you cannot understand it one bit, any more than that flea-bitten cur could grasp understanding the moon.

You cannot help but envy the madman who created, or adapted, such a thing as this into his own design, seeming impossibly slapdash and hap-hazard, but containing all possible variations of itself within itself, for it must, it has to, you cannot even imagine otherwise.

It is in your very nature, the paradox. Much as you would instruct a student which was bound into your service for the teaching, but could hardly bear the thought of one of an apprentice or experiment growing more powerful than you, yourself. You cannot help but be hypnotized and entranced by something outside of your grasp, and hate that you cannot reach it even as you strain more desperately.

It is complicated.

You are not sure if you love or hate this Quidditch, and the ritual hidden within.

What is it doing. How does it work? How can it work?

The blood itches in your veins and you want to howl.

But you hold your peace, and you just watch, focus locked with all the intensity of an eagle peering down at the mole trying to decide whether or not to venture from its burrow.

It gathers below the field, beneath the earth. Mystic power drawn from every onlooker, all the audience in the stands... not the players, notably. clearly enough focus and exertion from them without adding a noticeable drain. From the stands alone. And pulling away, waiting and biding its time, when a spell is cast to amplify voices or to change scoreboard numbers, or any number of tiny things, patient and settling in once more afterwards.

It does nothing you can detect to anyone. Not meddling with the players and their actions, not encouraging high spirits, not feeding the onlookers with pleasure at watching the spectacle that they would otherwise not feel...

Nothing that would be noticed.

It is brilliant in many ways, even if it allows for people who watch the sport and who are not impressed much to leave and not attend again, because it has already taken its toll and those who are will come back in any case. It does not need to place any hooks beyond those that the human love for sporting events causes the participants to place themselves.

And it leaves no reason to suspect the game as anything beyond what it is.

The gathered power pulses once, and you sit up a little straighter, but then nothing happens.

Or nothing that you can witness and determine to have been an effect of the pulse happens.

It might be the same thing, but perhaps not. The game continues in the wake of your uncertainty, as you attempt to determine what it is doing, if it is doing anything at all....

Time passes, and if people notice that your eyes are focused down towards the ground instead of up where the supposed action is, they don't mention it. All that is important about the actual game you already know just by listening with half an ear: the winning team is average in most ways, the losing team, the Cannons, is generally outright terrible save for one player who is slightly better than the other team's, and so the clear and widely stretching lead isn't unexpected.

Hours pass as you watch the magic, and then the game comes to an end. The Cannon Seeker has caught the game-ending ball and the final score is one hundred and fifty points to four hundred something. You don't feel like mindng the details.

Instead, you keep watching, as the crowd shuffles, and stands, and stretches, and yawns. A few minutes pass, and you still aren't the last out of your seat, when it happens.

The knot of gatherd magic pulses, as it withdraws from every one of the unaware spectators. Then again. And beats, like a great heart, as though some slumbering titan was just beginning to draw breath. In, and out, and back in. Beat. Beat. Beat.

.... And then stop.

It gathers together, compressing into a single point, and you almost cannot, yourself, breath in the wake of the sudden and oncoming grand purpose of such a work.

And then it explodes.

Not physically. Not spiritually, or magically, in any potentially harmful or easily measurable sense at all. Simply in the fact that it goes, in the span of an eyeblink, from being at a single and focused point to moving rapidly in every direction.

You try to follow it all, but you can't look in every direction all at once. The world fades and greys a bit. But then you sink claws and teeth into consciousness and Tewi is pressing some cloth just above your lip for the sudden nosebleed as a couple bystanders murmur or look faintly uneasy or mildly pitying, if they pay attention at all.

You have to see this.

And then it's gone, and you can't find a trace of any of it, and...

... and what did it do?

Did it do anything at all?

It can't have done nothing. What would be the point of it doing nothing? It had to have done something.

So.... what?

"Okay, looks like the bleeding just quit." Tewi notes. "You feeling all right, there?"

It takes you a moment to find words to answer. But you do manage to choke out some sort of grumbling mutter in response.

"Yeah, all right." Tewi agrees. Then considers, seeming to weigh words. You can almost hear the suggestion to go home and lie down, have a nap.

"You hungry?" She asks instead. "I've heard things about english fish and chips."

-----

[ ] ???
>> No. 59426
[x] Sounds good.
[x] Any idea what was 'that'?
>> No. 59427
[x]Le'ts go eat and calm down, we need to replenish our blood cells anyway.
[x]Explain to Tewi what you witnessed and apologize for ignoring her. Does she have any opinion?
[x] Don't obsess over figuring it out we have a year to find out, for all we know it's use is spreading magic to maintain it in the world.
[x] Finally did we have anything we needed to do before the start of classes? Better get to it. Do we even know how to get to our classroom?
>> No. 59432
I find it strange that it's suggested to peruse the 'hogwarts' library. Voile has a far more interesting and larger collection.

[[X]] Do not bother with research right now, it can wait. Make a mental note to do so later.

By the way:
As for practical methods to identify the mechanism used in the field, there are many. Amongst the weaponry are such things as:

(i) Measure the effect on danmaku bullets scientifically.
(ii) Enchant an object or receptacle with any complicated magical working which has properties of veiled minimalistic magical quantity/power in some way as well as copious means of detection imbued.
(iii) The use of extraplanar travel upon the object/field AS A WHOLE into a sealed space.
(iv) Measure effect on the use of extradimensional connections from within the field to outside it.
(v) Use of temporal manipulation to seal the center node in place. It would require earthworks (you?) to get to the presumed exact location, chronomancy (sakuya? you? keine? device(s)?) and copious amounts of (magical) engineering to construct a device capable of doing this with certainty (nitori?).
(vi) Usage of null fields // drain spells to obstruct natural happenings, carefully observing the results. (Or in other words reverse detection)
(vii) Usage of elementalism to observe the makeup of the source (not the extracted!) magic with regards to the seven elements.
(viii) Digging down and analyzing earthen residue of the after-effect of the `explosion`. Naturally the intensity of a spherical explosion goes down with the square of distance.
(ix) Obtaining and using the assistance of more knowledgeable induviduals regarding these subtle workings. Rather unlikely as a choice, patchy seems like the type to research herself.
(x) Overload the construction and observe the results
(xi) Create your own construction that mirrors this construction, yet create in such a way that the process is entirely reversed. Apply on top. Observe the results.
(xii) track the movements of magic using a minified aetherplanic detection device.
(xiii) Cast Detect Magic (lv.III)
(xiv) Obtain and peruse a WISH-type magic to ascertain the results. (likely not, I consider it cheating personally to abuse that kind of mechanic, iff it exists. Likely to misfire and completely screw you too).
(xv) Freeze the general area where the workings down to near 0 K. Logically the speed of the proceedings should slow to a crawl enabling you to observe better.
(xvi) Use many point-based recording apparati to collect a large sample of data, allowing you to know the amount of magical energy (flow) as a vector field dependant on time to a high resolution/accuracy for the entire field. Possibly requires computers and X where X is mathematicians or physicists to analyze properly.
(xvii) Test out the effect of uneven and/or illogical distributions/concenctrations of magic on the device.
(xviii) Recreate a miniature (tabletop) quidditch field to its exact characteristics in a controlled environment equipped with the highest reasonable security measures. Work out the equations of scale. Use any findings and extrapolate to figure out the workings of the real thing.
(xix) Test what the effect is on those kinds of magic you do not understand yourself posessed by certain powerful induviduals (Remi springs to mind).
(xx) Inquire and examine your invitee.
(xxi) Use muggle methods and measuring devices to collect more information.

... And possibly many other methods.

Food for thought.
>> No. 59433
[X] Disrupt a tiny portion of the ritual circle such that it no longer functions.
[X] Place a discrete sentry golem within sight of the discrepancy, tell it to monitor the location for intruders.
[X] Set up an array of inconspicuous golems laced with capture/immobilization spells. Let us see what mettle this "master ritualist" can muster.
[X] Let Tewi in on the hijinx over lunch.

Might be important, might not. All the same though, Patchy wouldn't just casually walk away from a masterpiece of arcane engineering, especially after almost having her magic, the purest form of her being, stolen from her by a rival magician.
>> No. 59434
Recalling something mentioned way back in one of the earlier threads, that magic breeds magic, I wonder if that is not in fact the purpose of this wonderful working of the arcane arts masked as simple sport. I.e. to gather, focus, amplify and then release magic in order to combat the decline magic in the world.
>> No. 59435
>>59434
Sounds plausible. But, just to be sure.

[X] Disrupt a tiny portion of the ritual circle such that it no longer functions.
[X] Place a discrete sentry golem within sight of the discrepancy, tell it to monitor the location for intruders.
[X] Set up an array of inconspicuous golems laced with capture/immobilization spells. Let us see what mettle this "master ritualist" can muster.
[X] Let Tewi in on the hijinx over lunch.

If you're right, what if we amplify its powers? Not like we can, because it is beyond us, but it's a nice if
>> No. 59436
Alternately, and possibly more sinister, is that it's drawing the magic out of spectating wizards and facilitating the decline of magic in general by spreading it out too thin.

Who knows! We'll have to find out, somehow.
>> No. 59437
Maybe it's common knowledge that one must donate a minuscule portion of their magic in order to visit and sustain large establishments protected by immensely powerful wards.
>> No. 59439
[x]Go get something to eat.
[x]Over lunch ask Tewi if she noticed anything strange about the game.
-[x]If she didn't notice it tell her what you think is happening.
>> No. 59441
[x]Le'ts go eat and calm down, we need to replenish our blood cells anyway.
[x]Explain to Tewi what you witnessed and apologize for ignoring her. Does she have any opinion?
[x] Don't obsess over figuring it out we have a year to find out, for all we know it's use is spreading magic to maintain it in the world.
[x] Finally did we have anything we needed to do before the start of classes? Better get to it. Do we even know how to get to our classroom?
>> No. 59442
I suspect what's going on is that Quidditch-the-ritual wasn't deliberately created by anyone; rather, it evolved without anyone noticing, as people tried out new variants of the game rules and goal arrangements and playbooks and stadium setup, and went for the ones that just felt "better".

If that's true, we can't "disrupt the ritual circle" without making the stadium unusable, or at least the damage very visible: it'll be robust to small deviations. Whoever comes to fix it will just be doing their job.

[x] Go eat and calm down. We need to replenish our blood cells anyway.
[x] Explain to Tewi what you witnessed and apologize for ignoring her. Does she have any opinion?
[x] Finally, did we have anything we needed to do before the start of classes?
- [x] Do we even know how to get to our classroom?
>> No. 59443
[x] Go eat and calm down. We need to replenish our blood cells anyway.
[x] Explain to Tewi what you witnessed and apologize for ignoring her. Does she have any opinion?
[x] Finally, did we have anything we needed to do before the start of classes?
- [x] Do we even know how to get to our classroom?

I dunno about you folks, but I think "disrupt magic ritual that we don't even comprehend" is a really bad idea.
>> No. 59445
[x] Go eat and calm down. We need to replenish our blood cells anyway.
[x] Explain to Tewi what you witnessed and apologize for ignoring her. Does she have any opinion?
[x] Finally, did we have anything we needed to do before the start of classes?
- [x] Do we even know how to get to our classroom?
>> No. 59446
[X] Disrupt a tiny portion of the ritual circle such that it no longer functions.
[X] Place a discrete sentry golem within sight of the discrepancy, tell it to monitor the location for intruders.
[X] Set up an array of inconspicuous golems laced with capture/immobilization spells. Let us see what mettle this "master ritualist" can muster.
[X] Let Tewi in on the hijinx over lunch.
>> No. 59447
Hey people, there ISN'T a ritual circle to disrupt since THE GAME IS OVER and the player were a great part of the 'circle'.
Nothing left to examine or mess around with, and we are one of the few people left discussing going to eat with our date.
>> No. 59450
[x]Le'ts go eat and calm down, we need to replenish our blood cells anyway.
[x]Explain to Tewi what you witnessed and apologize for ignoring her. Does she have any opinion?
[x] Don't obsess over figuring it out we have a year to find out, for all we know it's use is spreading magic to maintain it in the world.
[x] Finally did we have anything we needed to do before the start of classes? Better get to it. Do we even know how to get to our classroom?
>> No. 59451
>>59447
>there ISN'T a ritual circle
The pitch itself is part of the circle, you clod.
>> No. 59452
>>59451

The pitch is at best the smallest fraction of the 'circle' and examination of it is unlikely to tell us anything of value.

The whole thing isn't anything like a ritual circle as we understand it, instead having been shifted into 3 dimensions and rather than using precisely drawn markings to control the flow of magic it instead uses "the blind flailings about of enchanted orbs and introducing the variables of living, thinking, and ever so subject to spontaneous changings of course [sic] humans"

Given that the movements of the balls and players form the majority of the ritual, examining the pitch after the game is likely as useful as examining a blank floor that someone performed a ritual on after it's been washed clean.
>> No. 59453
>>59452
>>59451

I don't know that it would be totally useless, but it probably pales in comparison to what we already learned just by watching the spell in action and we can always come back later when the stadium is empty instead of digging up the pitch in front of a crowd of likely offended sports fans with magic powers while ignoring the person we're trying to bribe into giving us more good luck.

Timing matters, so let's keep our priorities in sight.
>> No. 59454
Also my apologies for accidentally typing in the wrong field in my comment above.
>> No. 59455
>>59452
>>59453
The vote wasn't to inspect the circle, but to disrupt it. Maybe you should try reading the posts you're arguing against.
>> No. 59456
>>59455
You want to disrupt the circle you don't even know what it is currently doing? That seems extra hazardous.
>> No. 59457
>>59456

Actually we know exactly what the circle is doing. What we would like to find out is why it's doing what it's doing. Like I said earlier; it might be important, it might not, the one thing im sure of though is that Patchouli probably wouldn't take such a major transgression, someone trying to steal her magic, lightly. An interrogation at some point in the future, or a better picture of what this individual is capable of(via the observing sentry golem) seems like what she would do in this situation.
>> No. 59458
>>59457
It's doing it to combat the lack of magic in the world. That's the theory and I'm sticking to it.

Anyway, we can inspect it, but disrupting it (if that's even in her reach, which I suspect it isn't) should not even be an option.

Counter vote to [-] Disrupt a tiny portion of the ritual circle such that it no longer functions.
>> No. 59460
>>59456
I never said I voted for it.
>> No. 59461
I'm not even considering such things as leaving golems in place when we are not aware of anything in even the slightest detail about the actual process of creation of this wondrous magical phenomenon. Or for that matter anything regarding the very reason it happened here.

So before pointing a finger at the perhaps probable cause that some singular entity was the sole KNOWLEDGEABLE* cause of this magical phenomenon happening, AND that this entity is within the realm of patchouli's understanding as well as able to somehow communicate with her, wanting to communicate with her, willing to communicate, comprehensible, non-malign, capable of timely enough response (e.g. within a century), and so on and so forth, I would like more information. Patchy could make an entire study out of the phenomenon we observed here, using a personal workspace to create constructions like it and observe the result of changing variables in carefully monitored and safe conditions before considering anything rash. The cause of the phenomenon can be a lot of things, magical objects, eldritch abominations, Yakumo's trickery, astral dragons, and so on and so on. We have to realize here that Quidditch is a sport likely to have been performed for a long-standing period of time such that taking your time investigating yourself instead of blatantly giving yourself away is the far better option, logically and tactically. There is little risk involved in the prolongued existence of this ritual.

Albeit perhaps some concern related to its introduction to Gensokyo and the possible consequences. Though, considering the lack of interest your companion showed the responsibility of that particular happenstance rests surely and entirely squarely on our shoulders alone.

Perhaps we should
[X] Concern ourselves with being more hospitable towards our friend Tewi and take her out to some fish'n'chips.
[x] Finally did we have anything we needed to do before the start of classes? Better get to it. Do we even know how to get to our classroom?

* E.g. the unknowing people that assisted and gave a tiny fraction of magical power to the ritual do not count.
>> No. 59462
>>59423
[x] Thank Tewi for assisting us as we collapsed and started losing blood.
[x] Let's go eat and calm down, we need to replenish our blood cells anyway.
[x] Explain to Tewi what you witnessed and apologize for ignoring her. Does she have any opinion?

Come on, guys. Some manners here, please. Someone just rendered assistance; there are protocols to be observed.

I'm not sure if we now have to do Tewi another very minor favor to avoid owing her for her aid, or if we've already got the balance in our favor for inviting her to the match. Patchouli probably knows, though.
>> No. 59463
[x] Thank Tewi for assisting us as we collapsed and started losing blood.
[x] Let's go eat and calm down, we need to replenish our blood cells anyway.
[x] Explain to Tewi what you witnessed and apologize for ignoring her. Does she have any opinion?

Not to mention, we still have a da- uh, I mean guest. It wouldn't do to neglect our guest!
>> No. 59464
[x]Quit losin yer shit over the Salinian Working.
[x]Remember to thank Snape for the tickets, and hint that you'd like to watch another game.
>> No. 59465
[x] Thank Tewi for assisting us as we collapsed and started losing blood.
[x] Let's go eat and calm down, we need to replenish our blood cells anyway.
[x] Leave the ritual alone for now. Magic isn't something you just crack open to see what makes it tick.

>>59462
Most of the time, Favors (with capital F) are meticulously negotiated so both parties are aware of the exact "value" of the favor.
Any minor, unrequested assistance (i.e. things like holding open a door or other "common courtesy" things) is just a part of social niceties.
We should remember to thank her for it, but it's not as if it's worth keeping track of.
It's the same as when Patchouli was considering wringing a Favor out of Umbridge, eventually reaching the conclusion that it wouldn't be worth the trouble, since assistance freely given is usually worth no more than simple gratitude (and sometimes not even that, depending on the person in question) as far as such things go.
At least as long as it's not an "I owe you my life" kind of magnitude on the assistance in question, in which case you might have a position for arguing Favors.
>> No. 59466
[X] Thank Tewi for assisting us as we collapsed and started losing blood.
[X] Let's go eat and calm down, we need to replenish our blood cells anyway.
[X] Make a mental note to look through the Hogwarts library for books on Quidditch.
[X] For now, keep quiet about what you saw. You can decide who, if anyone, to tell after you get more information.
[X] Don't vandalize the circle. Some person had some reason for thinking it would be a good thing for somebody, and until we know what the reason was, we really cannot judge whether the reason was reasonable.


Voile may have more books than Hogwarts, but it probably doesn't have more books on Quidditch than Hogwarts.
>> No. 59478
crazytheorytime: The inventor of Quidditch hid the ritual inside it, which extends his/her lifespan by drawing a tiny bit of power from every onlooker every time a match is played. While the amount is nothing, with the popularity of the sport it allows the inventor to have eternal life without having to go bonkers making Horcruxes.

Mark my words, the 'last boss' of the quest will be the inventor of quidditch. It's the only possible way things could work.
>> No. 59479
>>59478

If the most evil person in this story is some old dude who harmlessly takes a tiny bit of magic from people, Kahi is doing something wrong.
>> No. 59480
>>59479
I thought the most evil person in this story was koakuma?
>> No. 59482
>>59478
If so, why would the magic "explode" away at the end instead of being sent towards the person in question?
Patchouli noted that once the match was over, all the magic just went away to everywhere at once.
>> No. 59486
...

Interesting question. Why do wizards still have power, when nothing else does in the Gensoukyouverse?

I wonder if that isn't the <i>entire point</i>. It doesn't <i>do</i> anything. It just .... draws in life force, produces magic, and then just shoves it outward in every direction. A perpetuum mobile for magic.

Anyway.

[X] How sure are you that it did nothing? And if it did nothing, that might be the <i>point</i>.
[X] Thank Tewi for assisting us as we collapsed and started losing blood.
[X] Let's go eat and calm down, we need to replenish our blood cells anyway.
[X] Make a mental note to look through the Hogwarts library for books on Quidditch.
[X] For now, keep quiet about what you saw. You can decide who, if anyone, to tell after you get more information.
[X] Don't vandalize the circle. Some person had some reason for thinking it would be a good thing for somebody, and until we know what the reason was, we really cannot judge whether the reason was reasonable.
>> No. 59487
>>59486
>Why do wizards still have power, when nothing else does in the Gensoukyouverse?
First, it's officially and most commonly romanized as "Gensokyo". (Note that this was official before ZUN switched from the Hepburn system to the Kunrei-Siki system.)

Second, supernatural things are totally functional outside the barrier, just to a lesser extent than they are within it. Mamizou came from outside the barrier, where she was living as a youkai tanuki, for example. Likewise, the actual Shinto gods are living on the moon, and it is very possible that other gods exist too - they're certainly getting enough faith. And this isn't even getting into places like Makai and the World of Dreams.
The Wizarding community, in this case, really isn't terribly exceptional. They're living in the shadow of the mundane, and have only a small population overall. Heck, they even have barriers around many of their settlements, although none of them are close to the level of the Hakurei Barrier.

[X] Thank Tewi for assisting us as we collapsed and started losing blood.
[X] Let's go eat and calm down, we need to replenish our blood cells anyway.
[X] Make a mental note to look through the Hogwarts library for books on Quidditch.
>> No. 59488
>>59487
Gensoukyou and Gensokyo are entirely different words. Maybe your browser dropped the accents on Gensōkyō (the os in this version should have lines above them) or Gensôkyô (the os in this version should have ^s above them)?
>> No. 59489
I think the obvious approach to this problem is to get an in depth view of this phenomenon from the inside - that is, we must become a Quidditch star ourselves!

This is a good idea and nothing wrong could possibly result from it.
>> No. 59490
File 138240860247.png - (389.68KB, 640x480, gensokyo.png) [iqdb]
59490
>>59488
No, it's romanized "Gensokyo" in-game, despite that the "O"s are long. The game obviously isn't eating any accent marks since a premade sprite image is used, and it's not a translation error since that text is in both the Japanese and English version, with "Gensokyo" used in both.
It's just a weird official and common romanization.
>> No. 59491
File 138289034672.jpg - (17.84KB, 320x240, sbpl.jpg) [iqdb]
59491
Would be pretty funny to see Rochelle hanging around Hogwarts because Dumbledore fucked up and thought she was a...witch.
>> No. 59505
>>59491

Who's Rochelle?
>> No. 59506
>>59505
A character made by Chibi unrelated to either Touhou or Harry Potter and thus has no place for discussion here.

And sage, dammit.
>> No. 59508
>>59506

I think "unrelated" is a bit too strong of a word. I mean...she is a witch after all.
>> No. 59510
>>59508
No. You know perfectly well she has nothing to do with this. End of story.
>> No. 59511
SAGE! darn it! you got my hopes up.
>> No. 59512
>>59510

You aren't the author, so you don't get to say "end of story". No matter how you look at it, a gathering of witches is very related to both HP and Touhou, so it would behove us to keep our options open.
>> No. 59513
>>59512
Rochelle is a character for a PMMM story. THAT is why any conversation about her do not belong here.
>> No. 59521
>>59513
Now hold up a moment. Adding Madoka as a third crossover entry isn't completely and inherently off the table, especially since you are, again, not Kahi, and since this is already a crossover of the decidedly unlikely combination of Harry Potter and Touhou. It would definitely make Kyubey look like an idiot for missing all these other energy sources that break the laws of thermodynamics, but he's a jerk anyway so it doesn't matter.
>> No. 59522
>>59521
You have anything to base this on, besides conjecture? "It could happen" is not a very convincing argument to make.
>> No. 59523
>>59522

One could argue that "it could happen" is perhaps the MOST convincing arguments a person could make as far as crossover stories go.
>> No. 59524
>>59523
Jesus fucking christ would you just shut up about this please? Your idea is retarded, nobody wants it to happen except for you, and this isn't your story. If you want a crossover involving PMMM, go write it yourself.
>> No. 59525
>>59524

Whoa! We were having a casual discussion about witches, the central plot point of this story until this dude showed up and shifted his jimmies into maximum overrustle. Chill bro, you're among friends here.
>> No. 59531
No, as much as I personally might be interested in the concept of an interaction between Patchy and Rochelle, the sudden speculation here is in fact retarded. It would make about as much sense as suddenly dragging in ZNT elements because there is magic in that setting, and Kahi has written for it, with a touhou cross even. Assuming permeability like that has no basis.

So while one could say adding that cross to the table isn't off the table, its about as likely as Patchy suddenly becoming a weretentacle-monster. Do we think that Patchy will be bitten by a tentacle monster on the full moon? No.
>> No. 59544
>>59525
>Chill bro, you're among friends here.
He is, yes.

You, on the other hand, are rapidly ceasing to be among friends.

Please stop.
>> No. 59556
File 138361548858.jpg - (19.06KB, 500x375, Read the fucking site rules.jpg) [iqdb]
59556
Goddamnit, everyone shut the fuck up. Your bitching is worse than the post you're all replying to. Relax.

Remember site rule #4: Take it easy.
>> No. 59558
File 138366616258.jpg - (760.17KB, 1920x1200, e29b8be0766013cbe11eb53246e13194.jpg) [iqdb]
59558
>>59525
Did people really take this bait? I guess it wouldn't be a kahi story without random shitstorms and arguments over retarded reader choices and speculations.
>> No. 59561
File 138367574949.png - (54.79KB, 625x626, 477652653370.png) [iqdb]
59561
>>59558

Hey now, I spent like...15 minutes coming up with that post. I thought it was pretty good. Not my best work, of course, but I would give it a solid 7/10 as far as bait goes.
>> No. 59573
>>59558

To be fair, some of those reader choices were REALLY FUCKING SHITTY. The fact that Kahi actually wrote those shitty decisions in great detail makes me unable to decide if he's just real good at improvising and doesn't like vetoing votes, or is a real sick fuck. Maybe he's both.
>> No. 59575
>>59573

I'm not quite sure you understand how a CYoA works sir. The author doesent have the luxury of picking what he/she wants to write.
>> No. 59578
>>59575
I think you're the one who's mistaken.
The voters aren't the one deciding things; the author is, because they're the one who's writing.
We can try to steer the story in the direction we would like to see, but in the end the author can always just veto our decisions at any time for no more reason than "I don't want to write this".

A CYOA lives on the unspoken agreement that the author writes what we vote for as long as we vote for things the author wants to write. (Or rather, that we don't vote for things the author doesn't want to write.)
>> No. 59585
>>59578
That's assuming that people on the internet are reasonable.
>> No. 59586
>>59585

I think that's the gist of what he was trying to say. Authors can veto votes since people can sometimes be unreasonable.

That being said, I still think he's wrong. Vetoing a majority consensus is against everything CYoAs stand for. Bad choices should lead to bad consequences, not lolveto superfag powers.
>> No. 59590
>>59585
Yes, that's what the line about "author writes our votes while we wote for what the author wants to write" means.


>>59586
I never said I think authors should veto bad decisions. Those will lead to bad consequenses, and that's the way it should be.
What I meant was that authors always have the right to veto things they don't want to write.
There's an important difference there.

Like... Say an author doesn't want to write smut, and someone makes a sex-related write-in. The author is then allowed to explain that he won't write sex, and veto the vote.
If the author is okay with writing sex scenes, but the vote is just retarded (like if someone makes a "wake up, rape the maids" vote in a SDM story or something), then the author should use in-story means of punishing stupid voters.
Depending on the story and the author, it could then just go BAD END and roll back to before the dumb decision, or it could go with it and force the voters to deal with the consequences of their stupidity.


Either way, it is a fact that the author is in charge of the story and always has final say about what gets written or how to interpret votes (because he's the one doing the writing and interpreting). It's only when they abuse that power that it becomes "lolveto superfag powers".
>> No. 60110
>>59394


this anon had the most prescient suggestion id say, and we should look into attending another match to test this avenue (it should also be an aspect of our instruction of course).

similar to how powerful extraplanars can 'taint' or 'bless' areas, sufficiently intelligent wizards can(P!should) subtly repurpose/'complicate' ambient magic, for any number of potential effects or subversions should a counterpart attempt use magic or interact with things in the vicinity in some way.

this is incidentally also one of the more practical reasons why old wizards will use their Phenomenal Cosmic Powers for all manner of trivial or whimsical enchantments in their demesnes; to bind up the magic in the area so that its incredibly difficult to utilize without being 'keyed in', or using more energy then you'll get out to break (or being far more clever with your own manipulation).
>> No. 60518
Dead board?
>> No. 61097
File 141213224425.jpg - (209.39KB, 800x1200, 4a3df80c364bba34d342b98a6a5626e6.jpg) [iqdb]
61097
Are you hungry?

You're not... actually. You're ravenous. You don't, strictly speaking, need to eat to survive, but it makes things simpler if you continue to digest food for nourishment sometimes, rather than simply existing off of magic. But at the same time, you aren't completely confident in your ability to keep anything down...

After a moment, you nod and let Tewi lead you off. You spare a further, answering nod at Flitwick's cheery, distant wave, but he doesn't seem any more interested in steering his friend in your direction than you are in directing Tewi his, mostly leaning on the shorter figure as you are.

It doesn't take too long before Tewi finds you a comfortable, small, but brightly lit and spotless eatery, only lightly occupied.

"Hey, get a fish and chips combo, with a big iced tea, all right?" She calls to the cashier. "And I'll have... hey, vegetarian here, so is there any meat in the fried sprouts? Get me a large plate of those with cheese, and a chocolate shake, then."

You sit down and just breathe for a little bit, until the tea arrives. Sipping that refreshes you a bit. Not much, though. You pat yourself down for paper and something to scribble with... pencil, pen, quill, crayon... anything that will leave a mark. Then you draw it.

..... After a moment, you slash a mark through it, and draw it again. Then again.

No good. It's no good. How are you supposed to represent a three-dimensional stretch of cacophonic madness like that sport into a neat and flattened diagram of lines across paper? It might not be possible to truly capture it. Even your best efforts are... crude, insufficient, entirely meaningless and worthless for any purpose.

It's enough to make you want to pull out your hair in frustration.

Fortunately, the food arriving give you the opportunity to wrench yourself away from contemplating the subject much further as you tentatively nibble at the greasy fish and potato dish.

".... Yeah, magic isn't really my big thing. What am I looking at, here?" Tewi asks around a mouthful of sprouts, before putting the paper she's snagged away from you back down.

"That game." you say, and then pause to catch your breath. "It's... a ritual. Gathers power... from the audience. And then...."

You shake your head.

"... I don't understand it at all." you admit, frustration seeping into your tone. "It disperses the power... outwards... does something..."

"Huh."

Tewi considers that, and shrugs.

"You have... no idea, yourself?" you croak a little. There's hardly any point to asking, of course, but rarely a perspective that honestly has no idea about any of the finer details of things can provide unexpected...

"Nah. Like I said, I'm not up on the nitty-gritty mechanics. I do know traps and dangerous situations, though.... and I don't feel any different. So I'm leeeeaning towards whatever it does on the end you've seen being harmless."

Well... yes, you suppose. Effectively, it just had the participants assist in casting the ritual. Without their knowledge or consent, of course, but that's the worst of it. That you have seen. For all you know, it could be...

... you frown. Hap-hazard conjecture serves no purpose, and thinking too deeply about what it might be doing, with no proof, biases your thrust of inspection automatically. It does something, you know not what. Better to just leave it at that.

Tewi swipes a wedge of potato from your plate, cheekily.

You pay more attention to your food and quickly choke the rest of it down... and feel somewhat queasy at the end for your efforts. You lean back and let the rabbit pay the bill, then hobble out the door.

Air is fresher and clearer outside. You breathe a little easier, there.... but you're already tired again, and physically walking around is draining at you. If you fly in public, though, you think the wizards will complain. You recall something about legally binding secrecy, the sort of tenet you can appreciate in the abstract, though it's less appealing when it gets in your way.

You find a bench and take a seat.... Tewi pushes tissue against your face and pulls it away red.

"Yeah, that started up again. Not much, though." she says, slurping her to-go drink.

"... Thank you." you manage to grunt, mind fogged a little bit. "And... my apologies. I haven't... paid you much attention."

"Hey, no sweat. I mean, tricky to feel bad about that sort of thing when you kind of look like you've been fished out of someone's pool six-hours dead and keep leaking the red stuff." Tewi says, idly. "And I'm pretty sure that organized sports aren't really your thing anyway."

... Well, she has you on that. If you hadn't seen the ritual for what it was, then you'd probably have given up and fashioned some plugs for your ears and taken a nap. ... On that note, a nap sounds very nice. You've strained yourself a little, today, and even with the assistance of medication you are worse than average.

"... No offense, you know? But you kind of look like you feel terrible." Tewi points out, again. "You got anything that needs doing right this second?"

As far as that goes... no, not particularly. There are several things you could do. Solidly prepare a plan for your first week of classes, track down Flitwick to discuss the details of a duel, any number of little things either here or there.

But there's nothing that you really need to take care of this very moment, that you can recall.

Tewi slurps thick fluid out of her cup, and then pats her lap.

"Doesn't look like you'd appreciate going much further right now either, and I mean... I could carry you around, but I don't really feel like it just now. A bench isn't that great, but go ahead and lie down for a bit."

Just at the moment you cannot compose any objection to the offer. Perhaps sensing that, the edges of your vision are going black even as you slump down, head settling across her thighs and eyes closing.

You wake up some time later feeling slightly refreshed, to the flash of a camera. The picture-taker waves a little as you blink awake, and strolls off before you can determine further details.

Not long has passed. Perhaps a couple of hours... a few minutes more or less. You still can't bring yourself to heave up into sitting position right away, back already twinging slightly at the thought. A terrible position to sleep in. Even so...

Faint and soft snores come from above you.

---

[ ] ???
>> No. 61098
[X] That's probably Tewi you're hearing. No great mystery as to why she fell asleep.
[X] You should probably get up anyway, wake her gently and return. May as well make sure nothing has blown up in your absence and with your health, a bed will do far better to see you well-rested. You should attempt to at least try to make a good impression on students when they'll see you for the first time, making them more likely to listen to you.
>> No. 61101
Holy cats, it's back!

[x] Take your time getting up. It's not as though Tewi is in any particular rush, and moving too fast now might just end up pulling something.
[x] Check the time, maybe possibly get dinner, then return to Gensokyo to put out any fires and get an early start to this whole 'sleeping' thing. Hopefully things'll be better by morning.

How far away are we from the teachy thingamajig anyway?
>> No. 61109
[x] Take your time getting up. It's not as though Tewi is in any particular rush, and moving too fast now might just end up pulling something.
[x] Check the time, maybe possibly get dinner, then return to Gensokyo to put out any fires and get an early start to this whole 'sleeping' thing. Hopefully things'll be better by morning.

yay
>> No. 61114
File 141219230717.jpg - (234.73KB, 1000x1307, 53b23d1b353a5132c1680b8e2ae5cb80.jpg) [iqdb]
61114
That... Tewi. It's pretty clear that that's Tewi.

With your symptoms somewhat abated from the rest... hah. All of the eating and sleeping that you've been doing lately, you could probably pass for human. Well, you don't really have to do either, but your illness abates somewhat in the face of nourishment and rest.

Or rather, the lack of it aggravates things, and so you've gotten into the habit.

Still, somewhat vexing. You aren't typically so swift to accept physical intimacy of this sort. To immediately succumb is... well, it was more the opportunity for rest of any kind. Even if the bench-seat isn't the most restful of bedding.

As pillows go, however, the rabbit's lap... soft, but firm, warm and scented.

You dismiss the thought and slowly rise, groaning a little as your spine protests movement after an extended stretch of an awkward position. Tewi snorts a little, and blinks a couple of times as she comes awake, wiping away a trace of drool and rubbing her nose slightly.

.... this outing has become a date. It's unquestionable at this stage, to where even you cannot argue the point. You didn't intend romance, but at this stage the costs of paying court are all but being thrust upon you. That also, is somewhat vexing. There's little use you can put the rabbit to, directly. For the most part, your interests, intellectual and physical, do not mesh. A scholar of some kind, even if not of magic directly, science or medicine or histories, you could easily consider time spent as enjoyable. If it's a strong back alone, might as well buy the gatekeeper dinner for simple convenience.

All the benefits are indirect. You can't demand she grant you fortune whenever the whim takes you, and even if you could, the theories of karmic recompense don't line up. Too much good luck, and your good fortunes become normal, and then some time after that normality becomes good fortune. Much like tossing an egg in the air, gravity will eventually have it smash apart on the stones, no matter how high it rises before the descent.

Probably. You'd have to research it more in depth. But in any case, it's just increased odds there, and a slight deepening of ties between the mansion and Eientei, the halls of eternity. All something that could be achieved through other means.

And so, speaking rationally, you have no reason to enjoy spending time with Tewi that could be devoted to other pursuits, and all around the match-up should be poor.

Your improved mood, taken in that regard, is puzzling.

... You suspect, for a moment, that you may have been drugged. There are any number of tonics and tinctures that instill artificial affection, elixirs which prompt sudden and previously unconceived obsessions. After a moments consideration, however, you dismiss the idea. It's not impossible that you might have somehow been dosed, but when you take into account effort, expenditure, and effectiveness...

There's something to be said about not making things too obvious, but too subtle of an approach in that regard also has its blatant drawbacks. A subtle alteration of mood like that, rather than something overt that would be noticeable... not enough reasoning behind it to be worth the minimal result. And slipping it to you would be too problematic. Might as well just use one of those mood-altering charms, though that would also be obvious.

After some reflection, you conclude that you probably haven't been dosed with anything at all.

"Something on my face?" Tewi asks, rubbing her cheeks.

You've been staring. You cough, a little raggedly, and cover the slip.

"I may not be completely awake again, yet." you rasp.

.... something to drink, water. Dampen your dry throat. You just create it directly in your mouth, subtly... it's a good thing that it's easier today.

... the match, in the end, didn't last terribly long, even if it was unexpectedly exciting, for various means. Adding the period of sleep to that... mid-afternoon. It might be a little early for dinner, yet.

Still, if there's anything you need to do right now... you already have to pass by the castle on your way home. You could easily stop in and look for Flitwick, see about setting up arrangements for a duel more solidly. Or perhaps speak with madame Pince... you've picked up some number of texts, but they are mostly related to your field of instruction, Quidditch doesn't really come up. And that is a... more public library than your own private collection, so you suppose that you could borrow one or two explanatory books to skim through on your own.

Or that woman who usually mediates the school matches.

You'll have to watch some of those, through the year. Likely, much of the same will occur, but if you're healthier then you might be able to follow more of the fine details.

---

[ ] ???
>> No. 61116
[x] Flitwick will probably want you at your best; explain the variable nature of your condition, so you're not forced to duel while barley cognizant.
>> No. 61117
[x] Flitwick will probably want you at your best (or at least, not half-dead on yoru feet); explain the variable nature of your condition, so you're not forced to duel while barely cognizant.

Sounds about right. We could fix a time, sure, but if we end up half-dead that day...
>> No. 61118
>Your improved mood, taken in that regard, is puzzling.

Classical Patchy. I guess she can't accept that some things just are.

[x] Talk with the bookkeeper
>> No. 61121
File 141221723868.jpg - (347.83KB, 800x600, 2726b1233e26ba5a8b27ef2d312de218.jpg) [iqdb]
61121
[x] Flitwick will probably want you at your best (or at least, not half-dead on yoru feet); explain the variable nature of your condition, so you're not forced to duel while barely cognizant. 
>> No. 61122
I had my "sage faget" pitchfork ready, but then I realized that there were two updates instead. Truly, a great feeling.

[X] Talk to Flitwick about the details of the duel (magic, danmaku, or both?).
-[x] Mention the Quidditch ritual if an opportunity presents itself.
>> No. 61127
Yay! It's back!
>> No. 61132
Sweet christ, it's not dead? Brb getting caught up.
>> No. 61133
[x] Flitwick will probably want you at your best (or at least, not half-dead on your feet); explain the variable nature of your condition, so you're not forced to duel while barely cognizant.
>> No. 61134
[x] Flitwick will probably want you at your best (or at least, not half-dead on your feet); explain the variable nature of your condition, so you're not forced to duel while barely cognizant.
>> No. 61135
Oh snap! Mah main nigga Kahi.

[X] Talk to Flitwick about the details of the duel (magic, danmaku, or both?).
-[x] Mention the Quidditch ritual if an opportunity presents itself.
>> No. 61137
File 141247384640.jpg - (347.40KB, 564x543, thinking_spectacles.jpg) [iqdb]
61137
Overall, you think it would be best to seek out Flitwick.

You have to go to the castle in order to return home, to your warm and soft and quiet bed anyway, so it's just a little detour.

...

The castle layout is frustrating and vexing. There are maps, mostly intended for the use of the new first-years, but they seem to be deliberately crude and unfinished and in some points outright wrong.

You may have been a little overconfident about your ability to recreate the construction, now that you are wandering it without direction. The walls, floor, ceiling, yes. Indubitably. But all of the neatly moving parts, different paths leading to the same place and the same path leading to different ones...

It's not so simple a thing as a 'castle', now that you consider it more deeply. Even if Sakuya were utilized to alter the space of the region...

The whole castle is something like a clockwork mechanism, intricate and detailed and... with pieces that fit together impossibly. The magic is fascinating, and has to be primarily made up of things that were tacked on after the fact.

You weren't impressed with the castle at first. Foolish of you, but you were considering it in terms of 'a building' rather than 'a place in which practicioners of magic reside'. The second is automatically more impressive than the first by far, and...

... it has to have been allegory. Even with a united effort from four powerful wizards, all of this in one night. The building itself is one thing, but all of the mystic workings and arcane mechanisms that make the place up... you feel like you're being watched. Not impossible. Though, that you are fairly sure is due to the the weight of ages settling into the stones of this place.

....

But, for that, it would have to remain unchanged. Which flies in the face of the idea that all of this has been slowly added a bit at a time, to...

You decide not to think about it, as you've never cared to feel inadequate in any fashion, and contemplating great mystic workings when your health is poor always sours the mood.

"I'm pretty sure we've passed this statue something like three times, now." Tewi notes, seeming a little annoyed by that. Not too much, though... she should be used to the surroundings working to befuddle pedestrians. Though, the bamboo forest has likely reached an agreement with her, so this might not be something she's used to any more.

You check the map again.

"This way." you decide, heading up a side passage which deposits you in a hallway at the base of a set of stairs and you believe on an entirely different floor.

Ravenclaw Tower. The dormitories are within, as are professor Flitwick's offices as Head of House. The head of an ornamental eagle twists towards you, as the door remains resoundingly shut.

"If your satchel is empty, what can still remain in it?" the eagle asks, simply.

.... Ah, clever. The door requires an answer to open. Perhaps the answer to the riddle is the password... or the password might be something else entirely, and the riddle is an obfuscation? Poor health isn't the best for your mental facilities.

---

[ ] ???
>> No. 61138
[X] A hole.

Last I remember, that is the answer to that kind of riddle.
>> No. 61139
[X] Air

unless it means empty as in a total void, I guess.
>> No. 61140
>>61139
No, it's hole. It's like the riddle of how can your pocket be empty and still carry something, but wizard version (satchel) here.
>> No. 61141
>>61140
Yeah, it's almost certainly hole, but I just thought I might as well shotgun it, in case Kahi's trying to fuck with us.
>> No. 61142
[X] A hole.
>> No. 61143
File 141250295588.jpg - (306.01KB, 850x1295, sample-deac92169cc30bd5fa5da8114590d0a8.jpg) [iqdb]
61143
[X] A hole.
>> No. 61144
[X] The Void
>> No. 61145
[X] A hole.
>> No. 61146
Riddles 11 year olds can get can't be too hard
>> No. 61147
File 141254317479.jpg - (220.80KB, 700x800, is that not so.jpg) [iqdb]
61147
guys
you're all dumb

[x] Darkness
>> No. 61148
[x] Nothing
>> No. 61150
File 141254803610.jpg - (644.27KB, 990x1294, Unrelaaaated.jpg) [iqdb]
61150
"A hole." you answer simply, after only a moments reflection. It has to be, doesn't it? Still, if it's a trick question... "If not that, then air, darkness, or nothingness would also be reasonable."

"All of these answers are acceptable." the eagle says, before ruffling its feathers and returning to silent immobility as the door opens.

You're given a moment's further pause, as you inspect the construct a little more closely.

If it isn't a password at all, then the eagle is set to grant entry based on the merit of the response, and not entirely the actual answer...

... that's interesting, but it won't keep anyone out as long as they have an answer for the riddle or question posed, and can explain their case. It won't keep anyone at all out except for thick-headed lumps who answer with an 'I don't know'. You aren't sure how you feel about this near-absence of security, but you suppose it doesn't matter. That's a problem for the students who reside in the tower to deal with.

Breath caught from all the stair-climbing and walking that's happened lately, you continue on to Flitwick's office.

He's seated at his desk, seated on a pair of thick dictionaries and cushion stacked on his seat, and looking with interest at the sulking ghost across from him.

"Ah, miss Knowledge." He says, cheerily. "I believe I have you to thank for this fascinating situation? Miss Graves here was just petitioning for my assistance as Head of House about a wand. To be frank, I'm slightly perplexed."

"And even if I bought a wand, I couldn't move it in time." the Myrtle ghost grumbles.

.... you aren't in the right mood or state of health to entertain whining and petulant self-pity.

"Don't be absurd." you snap, voice taking the tone of a tired command. "Stop playing about and take your wand out for inspection."

Responding almost right away, Myrtle bulls a transparent, foggy length of something out of her school robes, then blinks owlishly at it.

"what." she says, dumbly.

"Oh, very good!" Flitwick says, seeming pleased. "Of course, replacing the wand was never a concern, any more than replacing your uniform. Upon death, you left the physical form of it behind with your body, but the real wand was within you all along, my dear."

"What?" Myrtle repeats, not seeming to follow.

"It's good that this was brought to my attention, and far be it from me to turn away a student that is willing to learn." Flitwick chuckles. "You may have some difficulty in Potions, as I believe professor Snape expects the students to heavily study theory on their own time and fills the lessons with practical examinations instead. Very different from... I believe Slughorn was in your time? I may have to talk with him to discuss an exemption for wand-work in his class, much as he prefers to avoid it and focus on doing the job properly and personally very few potions are actually damaged by using alternative methods. Classes begin Monday, and so I would highly reccomend brushing up on your levitation and movement charms... first-year work, but I can only imagine that you might have grown a touch rusty from lack of practice. Now now, off you go, but do come back if you have any trouble."

Myrtle rises and, seeming a little befuddled at the spectral stick in her hands, floats off through a wall.

"Ah, and now, how may I help you Madame?" Flitwick asks.

"I believe we were interrupted when the topic of a duel was broached?" you point out, taking a seat and allowing yourself to sag into it. Flitwick glances to Tewi, but doesn't remark further.

"Yes, I recall. Actually, I considered bringing the matter up further after the quidditch match, but I'm afraid my time was already spoken for for a little while." He answers, smiling slightly.

"On that note-" you interrupt yourself. "... are you aware that that sport is a ritual of some nature?"

"Truly?" Flitwick asks, seeming surprised and intrigued, if a little disbelieving. "Fascinating. What does it do, if you have determined that?"

".... I don't know yet." you admit reluctantly.

"Hm? Well, I'll have to refrain from panicking until that has been determined." Flitwick decides aloud. "And if I may offer a touch of advice? You probably shouldn't share this theory with too many people until you can provide documented proof of both how it works and what it does, or else it will simply be relegated to that part of the mind where quibbler special conspiracy-revelation editions are stored and, I am afraid, your reputation may suffer somewhat. I should mention after all that quidditch as it is is a sport that has evolved over time, like any other. Why, originally it did not even have a seeker... the teams were composed of four chasers and the rest. This all changed when... oh, but I'm afraid that this is a little off topic. If I may, I would suggest Quidditch through the Ages as reference material, I believe everything is still in there except for some of the more recent notable matches. Ireland vs Bulgaria in the finals the other year, and of course the stunning turn-out that was Japan vs France."

"I will keep that in mind. Then, back to the duel?" you ask.

"Of course. If I may say, however, you seem to have come down with something and I'm not sure that scheduling such an affair would be wise until you have recovered properly..." Flitwick notes, seeming a little concerned for your health.

You brush it off.

"I suffer from a chronic illness. It comes and goes without warning, unfortunately. Not contagious, but it can make scheduling events ahead of time... a trying affair of guesswork and hope."

"Oh dear. Well, I suppose there's nothing to be done about that except hold off on a public announcement until the day of the event, with allowance for rescheduling." Flitwick decides. "Probably best to hold it before Monday, though. As for the duel itself.... well, there are several standard outlines for such matters, though of course it cannot be to the death. It's very rare for such a duel to take place in this day and age. Still, the main point is determining victory... it can be upon first blood, surrender, unconsciousness, or simply rendering the opponent unable to continue through any means. Oh, but that is leaving out the option of some rather more clever and interesting possibilities..."

---

[ ] ??
>> No. 61152
[x] Well, there is how you duel back in Gensokyo...
-[x] Tewi might be up for a round, if he asks to see it in practice; just keep things light on account of your health.
>> No. 61153
[x] Oh good, everything's all vague and open-ended. We can just adapt the spellcard system and call it a day. Easy.
-[x] Three spells each, alternating in a one-two-two-one pattern, Flitwick casts first. The winner is whoever the observing students find most impressive, on the levels of technical skill, efficacy, and showmanship.

Bias? What bias?
>> No. 61172
[X] To first blood? A bit unoriginal, perhaps, but acceptable nonetheless.
>> No. 61174
>>61150
[x] As this is meant to be an exhibition match, the rules chosen should be something which allow both parties ample opportunity to display their skill, if possible- perhaps multiple rounds fought to first blood, or similar?
-[x] Also, if he'll forgive our saying so, structuring the match so as to put the lie to any claims that it is in any way a 'barbaric' display as certain parties have recently claimed would be a personal preference. There would be a certain amount of personal satisfaction into thoroughly refuting such beliefs though our actions. If he has any suggestions as to how to achieve that, we would very much wish to hear them.

As our goal here isn't actually to win a match but rather to gain favor with Flitwick and display competence to the student body that will make them more inclined to shut up and listen to us, this should serve. A chance to show off for each of us- with the quiet implication that we don't necessarily expect to win, in deference to his experience- and a chance to shut down the claims of someone who insulted something he enjoys. I'm not actually sure how to accomplish the latter but Flitwick, as a serious dueling aficionado, is likely to have some decent ideas.

Bringing spellcard rules into it seems unlikely to accomplish the first goal, since we'd be forcing him to fight in a way that he never has before and where we'll have the advantage. We want this match to be something that Flitwick will enjoy- that is, after all, the point of a gift. Best to stick with something familiar for that reason. If the match goes well, then we could follow it up with an offer to face him in our homeland's style at a later date.
>> No. 61175
The big question here is "Do we want to introduce spell card duels to Hogwarts?" If we were to do so it would have a non-zero chance of taking off withing the school, giving us an easy way to give survival in gensokyo 101 to students in a somewhat covert way, which should greatly reduce the negative effects of conflict between the 2 sides. On the other hand we risk exposing more of our lodgings to the wider world as people get curious to the origin of the games or worse, someone who already knows of gensokyo connects the dots.

there is also the potential issue of any agreement of secrecy we may have made that I have forgotten about, spill the spell-card rule the first chance we get obviously violates those as it's a clear leakage of gensokyen culture. Using spellcards would also make our power and nature harder to hide, if only because we would have to either forgo cards entirely or make new ones on the level of our opponents, both of which would still imply we are holding back due to lack of exhaustion (on healthy days) or obvious sandbagging in the former case.

I will also note that it is much easier to tell people at a later date then it is to spam memory charms (or equivalent) on an entire school,and a traditional duel gives us a better reading of Hogwart's capabilities as Flitwick won't be adapting to a new system on the fly. Lastly there is Yakumo to consider: she will be watching this duel as a point of interest and may change her plots along with ours, though the result of that is as hard to read as she is.

For now I lean no, simply as it can be undone easily is necessary and it gives us more control over who knows what later.

[X]As this is friendly duel, I see reason to risk injury by necessitating blood, so a duel to surrender or inability to fight back should be enough.(This is also partially to avoid Patchy having to break out wind or metal blades beyond Flitwick's ability to easily withstand without deep wounds...)
>> No. 61182
OOC: Does it have to be a combat duel? What about one making magnificent magical effects?
>> No. 61188
[X] While I have no doubt the students would enjoy the sight of two teachers attacking each other, perhaps a more refined and unorthodox duel is in order.
-[X] I propose a three round exhibition match. As measured by studer applause, each of us will will demonstrate our mastery of the arcane, and how a well developed mind can bend and twist the laws of magic to reach new and greater heights.
>> No. 61190
I do like the idea of making it more than just a simple duel, and start going into crazy metamagic stuff.


[X] While I have no doubt the students would enjoy the sight of two teachers attacking each other, perhaps a more refined and unorthodox duel is in order.
-[X] I propose a three round exhibition match. As measured by student applause, each of us will will demonstrate our mastery of the arcane, and how a well developed mind can bend and twist the laws of magic to reach new and greater heights.

Plus, this is basically a spellcard duel without necessarily using the name. It could help some of the students be a bit more familiar with what they might run into when/if they fall into Gensokyo.
>> No. 61191
[X]As this is friendly duel, I see reason to risk injury by necessitating blood, so a duel to surrender or inability to fight back should be enough.
>> No. 61192
>>61188
>>61190
While this is an interesting suggestion, isn't it being kind of rude to Flitwick? We told him we'd be interested in a duel- which is a sport he likes- and then are making it something he's not familiar with. That's like challenging someone to a game of hockey and then insisting on using a football instead of a puck.
>> No. 61195
File 141274891299.jpg - (326.55KB, 990x1201, also_unrelated.jpg) [iqdb]
61195
First blood... you think about it for a moment. It's certainly traditional enough.

No.

"Unfortunately, our dear inspector may protest if she feels the display to be too..." you scowl, here. "Barbaric."

"Miserable woman." Flitwick huffs. "Why, I remember when she graduated as well... never did any of her homework, barely scraped through exams, all the vitriol in the world for the students that applied themselves, oh yes. It's simply criminal that she's managed to find herself friends in high places nevertheless."

He sighs.

"That's politics and the ministry for you, I suppose. You have a point, of course. It may be wiser for this exhibition to be a little more unusual than standard practice and forms."

"There's the fashionable duels from home..." you suggest, the words slipping out of your mouth before you can stop them.

"Oh? Well, perhaps another time. I must admit, I'm not completely confident in my ability to both learn an entirely new dueling practice and prepare thoroughly to begin teaching for the new term next week." Flitwick replies. "Are you perhaps familiar with transfiguration duels? That's more indirect than charms and curses, certainly, though it's mostly showmanship. Transfiguration and conjuration and animation, usually until one side or another is exhausted from the effort or surrenders to a more impressive construction. There's dueling by proxy... that's rather archaic, however, and doesn't really suit the bill."

Really? It interests you, though. The traditional way that mages battle, imbuing a champion with mystic arms and ensorcelled armor and pointing them in the right direction. Less satisfying than doing the job yourself, of course. Still.

You like the sound of the transfiguration duel too. It seems like it would be very impressive to watch as well, which is entirely the point.

"Perhaps an exhibition match of spellwork?" You suggest. "Three rounds, in which we each attempt to outperform the other."

"Oho, that could be impressive... but is it considered a duel? Really, it's more of a simple competition, or even examination, with the aspect of direct opposition removed." Flitwick points out. "And how is one spell to be judged superior to the other?"

"It could be gauged by the onlooker's cheering." you muse aloud.

"No, no... The first years, at least, will cheer based on what is flashier and more visually exciting alone. Sadly, children seldom have an appreciation for the subtle." Flitwick argues. "A panel of judges, perhaps... hm, that seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth, though."

He claps his hands.

"Perhaps it's best if we simply combine elements from all the options." he decides. "To a duel where directly attacking the competition is forbidden, and grounds for forfeiture, and the battle is decided through manipulating and transfiguring the surroundings and such. I understand you have erected some buildings on the grounds, so that sort of spellwork shouldn't be entirely unfamiliar to either of us."

---

[ ] ???
>> No. 61196
File 141274973640.jpg - (262.14KB, 850x1445, sample-e371ddbd1b610d17b4b61026bb71c8d8.jpg) [iqdb]
61196
[X] "That sounds reasonable. Perhaps, we could make this a regular thing over the year? Demonstration of various forms of duels."
>> No. 61197
Patchy doesn't care a lick about what happens next year, and nobody expects her to be around anyway.

[X] Acceptable.
>> No. 61199
[x] Perfect.
>> No. 61200
[X] Accept

Huh, this is actually alive. I had kind of expected it to be dead forever.
>> No. 61201
[X] Sounds good.

Mein Gott, nice to see you Kahi.
>> No. 61203
[X] Sure bro
>> No. 61229
[x] Accept

I wonder if bringing the greeks to the fight would be breaking the rules? We did create their vessels after all
>> No. 61234
>>61195
[x] Accept.
[x] Introduce Tewi and Flitwick to one another- as a friend and coworker, respectively- before we depart. Forgetting that entirely would be rude.
[x] Return to the mansion and retire, unless Flitwick has anything else of import to discuss.

I am reasonably certain that the only Hogwarts staff member we've introduced anyone to is Albus, so that's not to be entirely overlooked. Aside from that, let's call it a day and start the term- it's been more than three years since we accepted the job, so it's about time we got to it!
>> No. 61235
By the gods, it lives! This is a very pleasant surprise.

Thank you for writing once more.

[x] Accept.
[x] Introduce Tewi and Flitwick to one another- as a friend and coworker, respectively- before we depart. Forgetting that entirely would be rude.
>> No. 61236
[X] Create and enchant a champion to conduct the duel for you. That way, the strenuous aspects can be done at leisure, and a sudden rash of symptoms won't strike at an inopportune time.
>> No. 61237
Upgrade the Greeks! It's time for them to earn all the hospitalty and goodwill Patchy has shown thus far.
>> No. 61275
File 141328815134.jpg - (71.74KB, 410x520, 5e8bdc569c3b03d85e0c52eed4b7fa5d.jpg) [iqdb]
61275
It sounds....

Not quite like Danmaku. No, not really, actually. Not if the spells you cast are not supposed to directly contact. Even so, it sounds interesting enough.

"Acceptable." you decide, with a nod. "As to the exact date... this will have to be determined later. For now... I should introduce you. Professor Filius Flitwick, of the Charms discipline of wandcraft spells, Head and supervisor of the Ravenclaw dormitories. Tewi, the Fortunate White, foremost of the Inaba of the House of Eternity within the Lost Bamboo."

"There's a mouthful for you." Tewi snorts. "Call me Tewi. Needs be, I'll also respond to 'Hey', 'You', or 'Get your hands off that'."

"I see?" Flitwick responds, seeming to his credit to only be mildly befuddled. "And you are... close friends?" he wonders aloud.

"Hey now. You have to know full well that sort of question's going to have people gossiping no matter how it's answered, right?" Tewi replies, a little reprovingly.

"Oh, oh yes. I do apologize and retract it, it's hardly my business to pry." Flitwick answers, seeming slightly disappointed at gossip that is not to be forthcoming. "I'll bring the matter up with Albus, and see if there are any particular boundaries or limitations he feels fit to insert."

Tiresome. So very tiring. The sheer weight of the mundanity is pulling down upon you. You can't help but yawn.

"So yeah, great to meet'cha and all, but some of us gotta dash." Tewi says, taking that as a cue to shift to her feet and stretch a little, focusing attention on her for cutting the meeting short rather than you, who are wearing thin from it.

Some might miss that little detail. You suspect that Flitwick does not. For all that common wisdom might hold that those who can, do, and those who cannot... a saying that never passes lips near the school-teacher's forehead... you cannot teach without some degree of your own cleverness and talent.

You have to wonder if he's a gossip. It certainly seemed that the faculty enjoyed talking to one another.

Tiresome.

And then you're home. Tired and worn out, more than ready to collapse at the end of the day. The date is over. Entertainment and outing run its course.

It's been a long time. How do such things end, again? With nothing else, but...

You move almost without thinking, to finish the polite little social ritual and nicety, leaning in.

And you're stopped by a single finger, that nearly goes up your nose before you can halt yourself.

"Hold your horses, there." Tewi says, voice colored with slightly warning suggestion. "Going out as buds is one thing. More than that... they say rabbits are about as free with romance as we are when we're wearing fur. Easy come, easy go. With most of the kids, that's pretty accurate. Not here. And I'm not sure you're thinking totally clearly right now... so I'm gonna tell you once. Be careful not to try something you can't take back, if you're going to regret it later."

---

[ ] ???
>> No. 61276
[X] Is this one of those east vs west relationship mix-ups that we always seem to run into at the mansion?
>> No. 61277
>>61275
[x] Admit that we are indeed not thinking clearly and we will consider her words carefully, then prepare an adequate response when our mind is sharper.
[x] Set aside the matter for now and go collapse into bed.
>> No. 61278
[X] Rally what remains of your coherence and finish what you started. This rabbit was made for you.
>> No. 61280
[X] Is this one of those east vs west relationship mix-ups that we always seem to run into at the mansion?
>> No. 61282
[X] Blink. Sleepy... "Noted. I apologize for presuming. Visit again sometime." Close door.
>> No. 61283
[x] Admit that we are indeed not thinking clearly and we will consider her words carefully, then prepare an adequate response when our mind is sharper.
[x] Set aside the matter for now and go collapse into bed.

As much as I'd like this to happen right now, Tewi does raise an excellent point. If Patchy still feels the same after she's no longer so incredibly worn out, then do it.

Otherwise, it might just be the sickness talking.
>> No. 61284
[X] Is this one of those east vs west relationship mix-ups that we always seem to run into at the mansion?
>> No. 61285
[x] Admit that we are indeed not thinking clearly and we will consider her words carefully, then prepare an adequate response when our mind is sharper.
[x] Set aside the matter for now and go collapse into bed.
>> No. 61286
File 141333270512.jpg - (73.29KB, 700x850, cutest library.jpg) [iqdb]
61286
[x] Is this one of those east vs west relationship mix-ups that we always seem to run into at the mansion?
[x] Admit that we are indeed not thinking clearly and we will consider her words carefully, then prepare an adequate response when our mind is sharper.
[x] Set aside the matter for now and go collapse into bed.

Stupid Japanese formality ruining a potentially adorable moment.
This wouldn't be a problem if we were back home in France.
>> No. 61287
x] Is this one of those east vs west relationship mix-ups that we always seem to run into at the mansion?
[x] Admit that we are indeed not thinking clearly and we will consider her words carefully, then prepare an adequate response when our mind is sharper.
[x] Set aside the matter for now and go collapse into bed.
>> No. 61288
[x] Is this one of those east vs west relationship mix-ups that we always seem to run into at the mansion?
[x] Admit that we are indeed not thinking clearly and we will consider her words carefully, then prepare an adequate response when our mind is sharper.
[x] Set aside the matter for now and go collapse into bed.
>> No. 61313
File 141365489626.jpg - (151.65KB, 500x1092, meager_relation.jpg) [iqdb]
61313
You don't quite follow.

.... is this one of those cultural mis-haps that are so prone to showing themselves, with a mansion of decidedly western make and inhabitation residing within an eastern wonderland?

Thinking about it, while Tewi is particularly brash and direct, that could well still be the case.

You may have overstepped yourself here, and stumbled a little.

"You may be right." you admit, slight rasp in your voice. "At the moment, my mind is not at its best. I apologize for the presumption, but do come again some time."

"That's-" Tewi starts, but you've waited too long already. If you don't start for the bed now, you won't make it there. The door shuts, leaving you to shuffle alone to your sheets.

---

The day is Sep 1, first of a 100 day term.
It is Thursday, day of Wood, of Growth and Persistence
-- Yamame, Medicine Backlash -4
Your health level is 59/100. The situation could be better, but as has recently been shown, it could also be worse.

---

Rachel got in, somehow.

You can tell because she's slumbering on your chest, a soft weight that leaves your breathing somewhat labored. Not so troubled as your chronic illness with its infinite array of fascinatingly crushing symptoms may have offered, but even so. She's growing.

You slowly heave yourself up, rolling her down into your lap, and take stock of the effects of whatever malady is showing itself at the moment.

Your eyes hurt. So do your sinuses. Clogged and inflamed. For the moment, this appears to be the worst of it, beyond a subtle queasiness of the innards. Which isn't to say that this is good, you need your eyes to be working properly in order to see things with them, and the associated sinus headache and issues are hardly a small matter.

---

[ ] ???
>> No. 61314
[X] Take the medicine, no not that doll but the other medicine.
[X] Check on the state of our projects and see to breakfast.
>> No. 61315
[X] Medecine. Students are coming today, best be as healthy as you can to handle them.
[X] Probably should have a look around to make sure no problem will happen before you leave today.
>> No. 61316
Oh, I'd better add

[X] get prepared for the first day of classes to that as well.
>> No. 61317
>>61316
There's no classes roday. It's the welcome feast tonight.

So we should dress for such. Koumajou Densetsu outfit perhaps?
>> No. 61318
File 141365630744.jpg - (191.09KB, 850x941, sample-cb51de1337878e10fdef67839ef7d83d.jpg) [iqdb]
61318
Forgot to add, but see pic for reference.
>> No. 61319
>>61313
[x] Medicine first.
[x] Inform Rachel that if she must infiltrate our bed while we lie unconscious, in the future she should do so in a fashion that will not impede our respiration. This will be her only warning.
[x] Check on our standing projects.
[x] Ensure that Marisa is gone and didn't steal anything.
[x] Breakfast.
[x] Spend some time in the library, reviewing a few books on rapid golemcraft, defensive magics, and other battle magic of the sort which will be allowed and likely useful in our upcoming duel with Flitwick. England won't be awake for some time yet in any case, and as with so many disciplines we've forgotten more than most ever learn. Best to refresh our memory so that we can impress.
>> No. 61320
File 141365877380.jpg - (645.13KB, 712x1000, 34816969_p0.jpg) [iqdb]
61320
[X] Prepare for the classes that will soon come.
[X] Also prepare for the welcome feast that you're suppose to attend later in the evening. Koa can stand behind us while we eat.
>> No. 61322
[x] Medicine first.
[x] Inform Rachel that if she must infiltrate our bed while we lie unconscious, in the future she should do so in a fashion that will not impede our respiration.
[x] Check on our standing projects.
[x] Ensure that Marisa is gone and didn't steal anything.
[x] Breakfast.
[x] Spend some time in the library, reviewing a few books on rapid golemcraft, defensive magics, and other battle magic of the sort which will be allowed and likely useful in our upcoming duel with Flitwick. England won't be awake for some time yet in any case, and as with so many disciplines we've forgotten more than most ever learn. Best to refresh our memory so that we can impress.

Also that was a really fucking smooth move Patchy what the fuck. There's no way to end a date like shutting a door in the face of your partner.
>> No. 61323
>>61322
>Also that was a really fucking smooth move Patchy what the fuck.
Patchy cannot into people. Seriously. If I recall past information for this quest correctly, her last relationship ended with her partner abandoning her because in spite of all her brilliance she was unable to grasp that he needed her to be responsive during sex in order to find it enjoyable.

She fails both Empathy 101 and Social Interaction 101, but gets by on a combination of being powerful enough to force others to give her social slack, having predetermined social protocols that she can mechanically run through, and being brilliant enough to laboriously intellectually deduce what others intuitively understand to be correct socially, allowing her to usually select which social formula to apply correctly. The only people that she can interact with in a natural fashion socially are other magicians, and natural magician social interaction appears to be severely territorial and rooted in selfishness and dominance games.

Applying this to the recent sequence of events, she was attempting to kiss Tewi not because she wanted to kiss Tewi or because she expected to enjoy kissing her, but rather because she analyzed the situation, determined that she had ended up on a date, and applied her standard predetermined social protocol for dates to the situation, which includes a kiss at the end. When Tewi disrupted that by giving an indication that she was doing something inappropriate, in her weakened condition Patchy simply didn't have the social/emotional intelligence to adapt and was only able to apply her "I have made a social misstep but do not wish to offend" protocol, then abort before she collapsed. It was, frankly, about the best to be expected of her given the circumstances.

Patchouli doesn't dislike people in general based upon what we've seen, even if she values her alone time and others often frustrate and annoy her- heck, she even likes Tewi and enjoys spending time with her- but expecting her to successfully engage in anything like a natural romantic relationship is wildly unrealistic. The only way romance is happening and not ending in a crash and burn for everyone involved is if all parties go into it with both eyes open and a much more complete understanding of the other party's expectations and capabilities than they currently have.
>> No. 61324
[x] Medicine first.
[x] Inform Rachel that if she must infiltrate our bed while we lie unconscious, in the future she should do so in a fashion that will not impede our respiration.
[x] Check on our standing projects.
[x] Ensure that Marisa is gone and didn't steal anything.
[x] Breakfast.
[x] Spend some time in the library, reviewing a few books on rapid golemcraft, defensive magics, and other battle magic of the sort which will be allowed and likely useful in our upcoming duel with Flitwick. England won't be awake for some time yet in any case, and as with so many disciplines we've forgotten more than most ever learn. Best to refresh our memory so that we can impress.


Sounds good to me, so I'm just adding another vote for the sake of voting.
>> No. 61325
[x] Inform Rachel that if she must infiltrate our bed while we lie unconscious, in the future she should do so in a fashion that will not impede our respiration.
[x] Check on our standing projects.
[x] Ensure that Marisa is gone and didn't steal anything.
[x] Breakfast.
[x] Spend some time in the library, reviewing a few books on rapid golemcraft, defensive magics, and other battle magic of the sort which will be allowed and likely useful in our upcoming duel with Flitwick. England won't be awake for some time yet in any case, and as with so many disciplines we've forgotten more than most ever learn. Best to refresh our memory so that we can impress.

Patchy shouldn't take the medicine on days she feels ok. This will help reduce the backlash on days where she actually needs it. Also, I still think we should take Eirin up on that "being her lab rat for a little while" in order to obtain a more perfect medicine.
>> No. 61326
[x] Medicine first.
[x] Inform Rachel that if she must infiltrate our bed while we lie unconscious, in the future she should do so in a fashion that will not impede our respiration.
[x] Check on our standing projects.
[x] Ensure that Marisa is gone and didn't steal anything.
[x] Breakfast.
[x] Spend some time in the library, reviewing a few books on rapid golemcraft, defensive magics, and other battle magic of the sort which will be allowed and likely useful in our upcoming duel with Flitwick. England won't be awake for some time yet in any case, and as with so many disciplines we've forgotten more than most ever learn. Best to refresh our memory so that we can impress.

First day, gotta make a decent impression.
>> No. 61330
>>61326

I think it would be better if the students don't set their hopes too high regarding Patchy's day to day health.
>> No. 61331
File 141382686795.jpg - (283.43KB, 850x1189, sample-2dc476ffc956191bbb52fae299153324.jpg) [iqdb]
61331
Medicine. As ever, medicine. You might be able to avoid it for the next day or two, but today, you must be as healthy as possible in order to leave the proper impression with your pack of squalling brats.

The duel itself, of course, will handle a great deal of the matter of pounding an impressive reputation through thick skulls, but appearance counts for something as well.

Perhaps it's a foolish thought, but the medicine seems to sense something of this urgency as well. Or perhaps the clear increase of your health, as you swallow the tincture, is simply due to chance. +16, health = 75/100

Ninety two doses remaining. Probably enough to last you through the term, and you can see properly without your eyes watering up now.

Rachel yawns loudly, wings flapping. You take a minute to guage her size, considering it against the rest....

It's going to be a little problematic, at least for the specimens with bodies. All are growing at the same rate... you shall have to expand that one enclosure somewhat, if the one inside it still refuses to come out. A little insufferable, but you suppose it can't be helped. That one, at the least, cannot get underfoot. For the rest, you fear it will be as though the library had become over-run with children, miserable as that may be.

Small wonder that you are beginning to have trouble breathing-

"A word in your ear." you say, a little sharply. "If you must invite yourself into my sleeping quarters, then you will kindly refrain from impeding proper respiration in so doing."

"..... huh?" Rachel says, not seeming to follow all the larger words right off.

You can hardly be too upset, though. It's really your fault, as you should well know, a simple caution for any manner of pet. If boundaries are not properly set while they are still small, then they will presume that the behaviour they have grown accustomed to will still be acceptable when they are larger. Really, you should have taken more care... still, there's no helping that now, and you are fortunate in that unlike a large hound or similar animal, you can properly explain the facts of this and have them be understood.

"You are growing large enough that your full weight is proving to make drawing breath somewhat more difficult than it should be." you explain again, in smaller words.

"... I'm getting fat!?" Rachel says, latching onto part of the explanation and growing alarmed.

You sigh, seeing that this is going nowhere. Then you measure hats.

... the data remains inconclusive, but you can almost swear that the pattern of one has somehow changed in a slight way, since you last looked at it. It doesn't appear that it has been replaced, however. As such... either your memory is failing you, which is a problematic conclusion to make, or more palatably the hat has changed. Yes. The color of this bow is... off. Just slightly different than you recall it being.

It's a startling suggestion that the hat itself may be changing based on the owner... or rather, that the owner's memory of exactly what the hat looked like is becoming suspect, and the hat is adjusting itself to what it thinks that it remembers it being. The hats are not, after all, hung in proper sight of their owners.

Fascinating. In contrast, none of the other specimens have any notable changes to the previous situation. Rachel and the father P both seem fully able to magically work ordinary locks at this point, and you hesitate to instruct them to learn other spell-work yet.

Off to the side, you notice that the spider is stirring awake on the bottom of an assortment of bodies, R and P patterns alike flopped indelicately across her form. You are uncertain as to how that might have happened, aren't certain you wish to venture conjecture, and you note that Sakuya has taken photographs of the drooling slumber-pile.

For now... you'll ring for breakfast, and send Koakuma to take a rushed inventory of everything. Just to make sure that nothing has gone missing. For yourself....

You create a small, wooden bird and set it flapping out the window, seating yourself and looking through its false eyes as it speeds toward its goal, in the depths of the forest of magic.

Marisa's house has seen better days, but it's in the end stages of repair. It seems as though the forest witch has captured an assortment of fairies and youkai alike, and press-ganged them into making the repairs for her. As you watch, one... a firefly, you believe, gets in a shouting match with a fairy over how to array the wood to properly put the roof back together.

Marisa herself is.... looking your way.

The witch offers a cheeky smile and a wave, and you abandon the construct even as you detect a sudden and severe structural damage and... set on fire also, you assume.

Well, you cannot say that you did not suspect something of that nature would occur.

Still, it seems like she is focused more on repairing her house in the woods than on planning her next burgling outing.

Light breakfast, then. And on to thoughts of the duel, as Koakuma confirms nothing is missing from your shelves. You wish to impress, though there are nagging doubts... paradoxically, both that the instructor will fail to match you in combat and create a poor show, and as well that you are uncertain how you will measure against him.

Diversity is your trump card, but even so, you....

Damnable witch, clouding your thoughts even now. If diversity and personal talent were all that counted, that confounded whelp would never manage to make off with even one of your grimoires or manuscripts. And you would never lose a duel. You cannot simply presume that you will prove victorious without effort on your part. Even if the man's edge has dulled and blade rusted in a period of indolence and instruction, he was a reigning champion of dueling.

Indirect. No spells that directly affect the opponent. You doubt that affecting yourself and then physically making contact would be any better. Indirect.

This is, of course, part of your expertise. Elements of wood and earth and stone manipulating the landscape to your advantage. Crafting golems on the spot, summoning things to be direct in your stead...

You are well suited to a combat such as this. All else fails, there is always the option of simply setting things on fire and seeing how Flitwick handles the heat and smoke.

Yes. You can set the niggling doubts about your superiority aside. Victory is not entirely certain and assured, but you are quite convinced about the result.

One of your borrowed fairies hurries toward you with a letter, just as you allow yourself to relax and focus on the tea.

"Sorry! Really sorry about this, I meant to pass this on earlier but I forgot. It was delivered to your tower." She says in a rush, barely sparing a tempted look for the specimens.

... Heavy parchment and sealed with wax and Albus' seal. If this is a notification that your payment is going to be delayed, you will be quite wroth....

You open it and skim the note inside, then pause and read it more thoroughly.

Then you set it aside, uncertain as to why you had to be bothered with such trivialities. It's not really any of your concern, as it won't particularly affect any of the classes you will teach in any measurable fashion.

Still, it seems that the headmaster found it important to inform you that the board of governors are taking advantage of the British magical ministry's meddling to themselves insert a second additional interloper to the faculty, answering directly to them instead of that Fudge fellow.

No final decisions on who this person will be have been made, and deliberations are proceeding. For now, however, it seems that Lucius Malfoy will be filling the role.

Hidden away in a post-script on the third reading, you discover that Albus wishes to speak with you, likely involving the specifics of a duel, and also wishes for you to consider making a short introductory speech at the Welcoming Feast.

You suppose that makes sense, and may well be expected of new hires.

---

[ ] ???
>> No. 61332
[x] Make plans to meet with Albus at dawn... in Scotland. That should be at about 0630 on September 1st, or 1430 in Japan; quite some time off.
[x] Tentatively plan on resting through the middle of the day after our meeting. As the students don't arrive until the evening we're in for a very, very long day otherwise and it would be less than ideal to be exhausted when first assessing them.
[x] For the moment, indulge in a quiet morning reading through a few of our texts. Perhaps refresh our memory on superior methods of making minor enchanted items, if investigation of potential duel tactics proves tiresome.
[x] Encourage Rachel and the P-patterns to learn magic at the fastest rate they reasonably can, roughly following the Hogwarts curriculum. We can use the progress of our students as compared to the marginally sapient pastries as a crude reference for how disappointed we should be in their performance. Ensure that they have a designated area for practice where they are unlikely to harm themselves or their surroundings inadvertently.

I'm inclined to let the Tewi matter sit for a while, and that's really the only major pressing matter before us. We could prepare lesson plans or write a speech or otherwise prepare for our employment, but we've been spending far too much of our life running around being stressed lately; better to relax this morning.
>> No. 61333
Malfoy, eh? Might be fun.
I like >>61332 but it doesn't account for our needing to make a speech. In which we should probably involve Rumia, just so she doesn't get bored and decide to involve herself.
Maybe pay her off with an entire roast pig.

Also, we're teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts, right? It's been a while since it came up...
>> No. 61334
Today is the day of wood right? I bet a magic foci/staff made for Rachel today would be pretty strong.
>> No. 61335
File 141385740422.png - (32.30KB, 197x188, whatthefuckdidyousaidtomeyoulittlemagicianillhavey.png) [iqdb]
61335
[x] Make plans to meet with Albus at dawn... in Scotland. That should be at about 0630 on September 1st, or 1430 in Japan; quite some time off.
[x] Tentatively plan on resting through the middle of the day after our meeting. As the students don't arrive until the evening we're in for a very, very long day otherwise and it would be less than ideal to be exhausted when first assessing them.
[x] Consider what day is today and how that can help you in your duel. D
[x] Encourage Rachel and the P-patterns to learn magic at the fastest rate they reasonably can. You can't let some mid ruckus get in the way of experiments.

Someone is mad
>> No. 61336
>>61333
Agreed that Malfoy should be interesting. On the one hand, politics, ugh; on the other, at least it seems likely to keep Yukari amused one way or another instead of leaving her constantly poking at everyone to see how they jump.

I don't think that we want to plan out any speech before speaking to Albus, just in case he has something actually relevant to say. It's not as though we can't just make something up on the spot in any case; it's supposed to be short so a few sentences should suffice, and we can handle that.

Also, if we deliberately feed Rumia she'll only spend more and more time around us in the hopes that we'll give her additional food. I'd rather have her go off and eat people in Belize or something where she isn't bothering us.

>>61334
Hmm. It's not a bad suggestion to make foci for the pastries. That would make them better analogues for our presumably-incompetent students, and would fill a bit of time in a mildly engaging way. I'll back it.
>> No. 61342
[x] Make plans to meet with Albus at dawn... in Scotland. That should be at about 0630 on September 1st, or 1430 in Japan; quite some time off.
[x] Tentatively plan on resting through the middle of the day after our meeting. As the students don't arrive until the evening we're in for a very, very long day otherwise and it would be less than ideal to be exhausted when first assessing them.
[x] For the moment, indulge in a quiet morning reading through a few of our texts. Perhaps refresh our memory on superior methods of making minor enchanted items, if investigation of potential duel tactics proves tiresome.
>> No. 61343
[x] Make plans to meet with Albus at dawn... in Scotland. That should be at about 0630 on September 1st, or 1430 in Japan; quite some time off.
[x] Tentatively plan on resting through the middle of the day after our meeting. As the students don't arrive until the evening we're in for a very, very long day otherwise and it would be less than ideal to be exhausted when first assessing them.
[x] For the moment, indulge in a quiet morning reading through a few of our texts. Perhaps refresh our memory on superior methods of making minor enchanted items, if investigation of potential duel tactics proves tiresome.
[x] Encourage Rachel and the P-patterns to learn magic at the fastest rate they reasonably can, roughly following the Hogwarts curriculum. We can use the progress of our students as compared to the marginally sapient pastries as a crude reference for how disappointed we should be in their performance. Ensure that they have a designated area for practice where they are unlikely to harm themselves or their surroundings inadvertently.
[x]Consider giving the pastries magical tools of destruction.

pasta'd this one since I had myself a giggle readin it. Added on the foci thing too so the students don't have an unfair advantage.
>> No. 61344
[x] Make plans to meet with Albus at dawn... in Scotland. That should be at about 0630 on September 1st, or 1430 in Japan; quite some time off.
[x] Tentatively plan on resting through the middle of the day after our meeting. As the students don't arrive until the evening we're in for a very, very long day otherwise and it would be less than ideal to be exhausted when first assessing them.
[x] For the moment, indulge in a quiet morning reading through a few of our texts. Perhaps refresh our memory on superior methods of making minor enchanted items, if investigation of potential duel tactics proves tiresome.
>> No. 61347
>>61335
I don't know, blasting things spying on her while waving might be her idea of a mischievous hello. It is Marisa. She thinks stealing Patchy's stuff is being friendly. She might not be mad at all.

[x] Make plans to meet with Albus at dawn... in Scotland. That should be at about 0630 on September 1st, or 1430 in Japan; quite some time off.
[x] Tentatively plan on resting through the middle of the day after our meeting. As the students don't arrive until the evening we're in for a very, very long day otherwise and it would be less than ideal to be exhausted when first assessing them.
[x] For the moment, indulge in a quiet morning reading through a few of our texts. Perhaps refresh our memory on superior methods of making minor enchanted items, if investigation of potential duel tactics proves tiresome.
[x] Encourage Rachel and the P-patterns to learn magic at the fastest rate they reasonably can, roughly following the Hogwarts curriculum. We can use the progress of our students as compared to the marginally sapient pastries as a crude reference for how disappointed we should be in their performance. Ensure that they have a designated area for practice where they are unlikely to harm themselves or their surroundings inadvertently.
[x]Consider giving the pastries magical tools of destruction.
>> No. 61361
Woulden't it be hilarious if the wand core Rachel is compatable with turned out to be vampire hair or somethin?
>> No. 61363
>>61361
I don't know about hilarious but it would certainly be convenient.
>> No. 61373
Wands for pastries? Sounds cool.
>> No. 61374
>>61373

Might not be a wand. All we are looking for here is a magical focus. The complex hand motions a wand requires might mean Patchy should consider alternatives.

I mean, her philosopher's stone is just sitting around collecting dust right? Why not let Rachel borrow it?
>> No. 61375
File 141428997766.jpg - (45.96KB, 594x389, what could go wrong.jpg) [iqdb]
61375
>>61374
>> No. 61376
>>61374
> Philosopher's Stone.
> Harry Potter book 1.

This ought to be fun.
>> No. 61385
>>61374
Because it's "gathering dust" because it's a closely guarded and very valuable treasure, not just some sort of magical battery to power up pastries.
>> No. 61391
>>61376
>>61385

Pathcy has already shown the ability to make them, with some effort on a healthy day, so she would not consider it to be that valuable much like she does not value material wealth because she could crash any mineral market she chooses at will with her power, not to mention the things she wants are rarely for sale.
>> No. 61392
>>61374
Actually, it's not gathering dust, Pachouli worked her philosopher's stone into a wand that she uses sometimes to make a few spells (mostly her new spatial rip technique) easier.

And if it takes effort to make on a good day, that's probably too much bother for starting equipment for pastry creatures.
>> No. 61393
Maybe we can bribe that sweet laevateinn staff off Flandre. I hear it's a pretty powerful focus, and she only uses it for like...one spellcard.
>> No. 61603
I just noticed, but the Gandharva summoned in the Hakkero mentioned it's mistress to be Urmya, lady of Night and the Celestial Order. Isn't that Rumia?
>> No. 61850
pls
>> No. 61942
File 143246522776.jpg - (282.66KB, 450x550, afc51ba7d5be91bb16f96505a471cfc0.jpg) [iqdb]
61942
There's nothing you can do about it for now, in any case, without shaking the Headmaster awake from his bed. Which isn't something you're particularly against, but there's no need to rush a meeting right now. You can allow the old man a few more hours to rest his bones.

... Discounting that you're probably older than he is by a fair margin, and that your bodies are likely in equally poor shape, whether the root cause is age or illness.

For the time being, you eat lightly, cuts of fruit drizzled with honey and cream, and settle in to pass a few hours by with some light reading.

...

It's not particularly helpful, in the end, to read about combat theory and the tactical break-downs of the past. No more helpful than someone saying 'the heart of spell card battles is to preserve your mobility and limit that of your opponent'. An entirely accurate and succinct summation, but leaving so much out as to be entirely useless on its own.

It can't really be helped, and it was at least a way to prepare your mind. When it comes down to it though, the situation of combat can be prepared for in advance but as much or more is adaptability, being able to change the plan on a moment's notice if called for and with no preparation.

With your versatility, you'd say that that's your strong point.

All right!

You aren't going to lose to the diminutive duelist. It's not the best of the best days for combat for you, but you're on a higher note than normal. Just at the verge of the highest quarter, if you should put your health in such terms.

Today's specialty is Wood related magic, growth and creation of plants and manipulation of plant matter and form, though it doesn't limit you greatly in any other elemental area. If the battle is to take place outside and on grass of any sort, why, you could say that you've already won.

You'll have to show off a bit before you seal the victory, though, and that might leave an opening.

.... For now, you let the plotting dull down and rest in your seat, drowsing for a time before a prepared timer jolts you back into full wakefulness. Fanciful dreams of an army of ruination, flying above and marching on the ground in monkey masks and casting unusually tiny bolts of flame from twigs are brushed away as you rouse yourself.

It's time, soon.

You can wash your face and have a light lunch first, though. Simple, pan-seared fish on lightly toasted bread, with a savory and slightly sweet glaze, ideal to be folded over and eaten as a sandwich in a hurry.

...

You may be slightly asleep still, because you don't notice until you've passed through the gate and short tower onto Hogwarts' castle grounds that Rachel managed to float along a little to the side and behind of you.

"Huuuh?" she says, seeming astonished by the location. "Is it already dusk? No, the sun's rising, it's rising!"

----

[ ] ???
>> No. 61943
...Why the fuck did we let Rachel follow us there again?

Nope. Nope nope nope. Too late to not have yukkuris, but let's not bring them to HP too.

[X] ...Right, Rachel. You should probably bring her back while you explain they're somewhere else in the world right now. Unless you fancy explaining the idea of living pastries to the Headmaster this morning.
>> No. 61945
Student + yukkuris would end badly anyway.

Also, it's back!

[X] ...Right, Rachel. You should probably bring her back while you explain they're somewhere else in the world right now. Unless you fancy explaining the idea of living pastries to the Headmaster this morning.
>> No. 61947
[X] ...Right, Rachel. You should probably bring her back while you explain they're somewhere else in the world right now. Unless you fancy explaining the idea of living pastries to the Headmaster this morning.

Yeah, no.
>> No. 61948
[X] ...Right, Rachel. You should probably bring her back while you explain they're somewhere else in the world right now. Unless you fancy explaining the idea of living pastries to the Headmaster this morning.

Patchouli really needs to set up some rules for Rachel, or this is going to get troublesome.
>> No. 61949
File 143254849294.jpg - (161.29KB, 850x993, then_ill_go_all_out.jpg) [iqdb]
61949
You stop and turn slightly to the side, plucking Rachel out of the air as she continues to drift forward, seeming awed by the sunrise.

"Uwah?" she says, coming to a stop as you walk back into the tower.

"I didn't tell you to come along." you chide...

... but hold on, you should take a little care. Yukari... it's difficult to tell if that nuisance is or isn't watching, and she's capable of the contrary sort of nature that an amanojaku or imp of perversity could envy. So if you say 'I don't want any of these to get around on that side', then the first time she gets bored there are good odds that flocks and herds of them will start appearing, just to get a rise out of you.

You've got plenty in your library already.

Completely unmoved by a tearing-up face, you bring her back through the portal.

"That's outside of Gensokyo, you know, and on another continent entirely." you lecture. "I've got business to take care of too, so I can't just show you around. Play nice around here, all right?"

"...'kay." Rachel replies, sniffling just a little.

Another woman might reconsider at that, but you're well practiced and confident in a heart of stone. If you might say so yourself, it's a point you take pride in, and you'll probably make great use of it considering how you're going to have to deal with children through the whole year.

Everything back in its place, you take a second shot at entering the castle grounds and are met by the door by Dumbledore himself.

"Ah, miss Knowledge." he says, too cheerily for an old man just at daybreak who probably hasn't even had his morning soggy oats and prune juice yet.

"You're unusually prompt to receive me, at this time of day." you note.

It's almost suspicious. His quarters are probably near his office, and that's at the top of a great flight of stairs and tower... is he following you, then? Or not following, but spying, perhaps deployed some mystic art to notify him of your presence and arrivals...

"Happily, I have made it point in recent years to take a few minutes in the morning to marvel at the natural beauty of the breaking dawn. A comfort to the aged, though I'm afraid that I miss it more often than I would prefer. Fortunately I happened to note your arrival this morning from a window this morning." Dumbledore says, beard partially hiding a genial smile.

"Your vision is remarkable, at this age." you respond, trying not to put it in a way that would come off as sarcasm or insincere flattery... you aren't sure how well you managed it.

"And I noticed that with you, there was... one of the fascinating maidservants from your home, perhaps? I must confess, my vision has not held up quite that well through the years." he admits, tapping his spectacles meaningfully.

"Ah... her. That isn't the case."

"No? ... I trust there was no diablerie involved?" Dumbledore asks, seeming somehow a fair few measures more foreboding.

"Nothing of the sort... in this case. I shall leave it for the moment with an explanation that I'm sure you will not find quite sufficient: that the individual in question is a current resident of my library who followed behind me unexpectedly. Since there was no business here, I took care to return her properly before continuing on."

"Ah. Very well." Dumbledore says, clearly making the decision not to pry.

"To business, then. You wished to speak with me?" you ask.

"Ah, yes. It's a simple matter, but it occurred to me that you are capable of a great many potential manners of tactics for dueling which might be called unusual, or unconventional. Now, it should be clear that the duel you have arranged with professor Flitwick is merely a friendly demonstration for the students' sake, and so I need not tarry much regarding specifically forbidding a battle to the death. I will, however, say this."

Albus' eyes turn hard and cold for a moment, like frozen steel, with an intensity that sparks a slight chill along your spine.

"This is a demonstration match for the students. As such, I will brook no diablerie in the matter." he says, tone carrying with it all the harsh finality of a funeral bell. After a moment, he calms, temperament soothing slightly. "Additionally, I would hope that it is not required to say outright, but I will nevertheless stipulate that I will not allow any magics which manipulate or control the bodies of the deceased. Such necromancy will not be tolerated in a school professor, and I will forbid it for as long as I have any control over Hogwarts at all."

Ah... how tiring. It wasn't in the plan, of course, and so it hardly limits you. Dumbledore himself looks tired, having to say it aloud.

"I see." you say, rather than any other response you might make.

"It must be said." he says, sighing lightly. "And better it be said before the students properly arrive than after. You yourself would appear to be proof that such arts may not be in all cases entirely corruptive in nature... but the statistics would appear to speak for themselves, and nearly all practitioners have met terrible, often-times bleakly ironic ends, sooner or later. Hogwarts is a school, and a place of learning, but I will not sit idly aside in such cases if exposing the students to such things can be at all avoided."

What noble censure. Surely, he only has the best of intentions in this judgement.... well, sarcasm aside, you don't truly intend to do more than what is expected of you to begin with, so it's something of a moot point. And necromancy isn't something you have much experience in anyway... the messy bits that involve cadavers, at least.

"Very well. Are there any other limitations you wish to notify me of in advance?" you ask, idly.

... Albus' smile becomes amused.

"I think... not." he says, unexpectedly. "So long as you keep in mind those particulars, and that this is a friendly match, then by all means. Though, I feel it only sporting to warn you in advance that despite being most disappointed in the failure to properly form a dueling club some years ago, dear Filius has made it a point since to keep himself in top form... just in case."

Albus blinks, seeming to recall something.

"Ah yes. And I mentioned before that Lucius Malfoy was acting as something of an... inquisitive counterpoint to madame Umbridge, correct?" he asks.

"Yes, I believe that was briefly mentioned in your last letter." you allow.

"Ah, very good. It is of course something of a conflict of interest to perform such fact-gathering activities for the sake of the Board of Governors when he himself is a noted seat of that Board... and so, Lucius seems to be in the unusual and unenviable position of looking to find a replacement for himself with as much swiftness as can be mustered, no doubt for various and multiple reasons of his own." Albus says, moving a hand vaguely. "Sadly, it appears to be proving somewhat difficult to come to a consensus upon the available options, but it appears that the decision happens to fortunately coincide with the discharge of one Gilderoy Lockheart from the long-term mental ward of St. Mungo's hospital."

The name tickles slightly at your mind.

"I feel as though he has been mentioned before." you say, trying to recall. It must not have seemed important at the time... "A previous Defense Instructor?"

"Why, yes. Unfortunately, at the end of his term of employment I am afraid that he came to some amount of misfortune, the precise details of which I myself am uncertain. The end result, I am afraid, is that the poor young man's mind was scrubbed quite thoroughly clean, as though it were silver passed through a tarnish-removing solution." Albus relates. "Most unfortunate indeed, but it appears that the incident has its upsides... for whatever reason, while all the experience and ability in other fields seems to have mostly gone the way of the poor fellow's memories of using them, his own abilities with charms and spells related to memory and the mind appear to have become remarkably acute. At the moment, it appears that he is the most likely individual to be offered this position, though I am afraid he did not leave a particularly good impression with the staff the last time he was here. Perhaps it will be different with the accolades of fame tempered by his current situation..."

"You said he was discharged." you note. "Then he is recovered from the trauma?"

"Well, you could say so. Though in truth, he is as recovered from it now as the day he was checked into the Janus Thickney ward." Albus replies, thoughtfully. "The fact of the matter is that it has been determined that there is quite simply nothing that can be done to recover those memories, at this point, and he is as familiarized with the world and himself as he can be from the secure sterility of his own room in a private wing of the hospital. There was, of course, discussion about whether or not to keep him for another year or two and the decision was a very near thing, but I am informed that in the end it was concluded that it would be best to allow him to re-introduce himself to society."

Interesting. You might want to speak to the man directly, if only to see for yourself what manner of unpleasantness tends to befall those in your staff position.

That aside...

"Ah, yes." Albus concludes. "And if it is not too much to request, I would be most pleased if you were to say a few short words at the Welcoming Feast tonight. Brief introductions, expectations, and such. This is strictly voluntary on your part, of course... Instructors of Defense turn over so often that I can hardly expect all of them to make an introductory speech, after all." he chuckles.

---

[ ] ??
>> No. 61952
[X] You can try, at least. Given how you intend to run your classes, best to try to make a good first impression.
-[X] Expectations... Well, you can always say for one that you hope for them to best yoru expectations. No need to say how low they actually are.
--[X] ...Best to not tell this to Albus either.
[X] As for Lockheart... Does he still have a residence or will the school or Board have to provide a place to stay, should he indeed be selected?
-[X] Not that you care that much but... Nobody had better get the idea that your tower is a good place for him.

Reasons should be self-explanatory.
>> No. 61953
[X] You can try, at least. Given how you intend to run your classes, best to try to make a good first impression.
-[X] Expectations... Well, you can always say for one that you hope for them to best yoru expectations. No need to say how low they actually are.
--[X] ...Best to not tell this to Albus either.
[X] As for Lockheart... Does he still have a residence or will the school or Board have to provide a place to stay, should he indeed be selected?
-[X] Not that you care that much but... Nobody had better get the idea that your tower is a good place for him.
>> No. 61956
[X] You can try, at least. Given how you intend to run your classes, best to try to make a good first impression.
-[X] Expectations... Well, you can always say for one that you hope for them to best yoru expectations. No need to say how low they actually are.
--[X] ...Best to not tell this to Albus either.
[X] As for Lockheart... Does he still have a residence or will the school or Board have to provide a place to stay, should he indeed be selected?
-[X] Not that you care that much but... Nobody had better get the idea that your tower is a good place for him.
>> No. 61958
[X] You can try, at least. Given how you intend to run your classes, best to try to make a good first impression.
-[X] Expectations... Well, you can always say for one that you hope for them to best yoru expectations. No need to say how low they actually are.
--[X] ...Best to not tell this to Albus either.
[X] As for Lockheart... Does he still have a residence or will the school or Board have to provide a place to stay, should he indeed be selected?
-[X] Not that you care that much but... Nobody had better get the idea that your tower is a good place for him.
>> No. 61960
Damn yo, look at all the prejudice against Diabolism. Magic is a tool that reflects the intent of the user. People shouldn't perpetuate their own stigmas against a certain forms of magic simply on the basis of fear and ignorance.

How ,exactly, can you teach a defense against the Dark Arts class while ignoring one of the dark art's most powerful and versatile tools? Surly our enemies will not hesitate to conjure horrors from beyond the grave or abominations from beyond time and space.

I'm half tempted to send Koa on an optional side quest to convince the board of governors that a brief introduction to Diabolism is a good idea. With Patchy's knowledge of how to create a perfect summoning contract, this years class of students could become a force to be reckoned with.

[X] You can try, at least. Given how you intend to run your classes, best to try to make a good first impression.
-[X] Expectations... you expect them to approach each class with an open mind. Defense against the Dark Arts is so much more than countering a spell or reading a textbook. Only through cunning, adaptability and overwhelming magical prowess can we truly be masters of our fate. Today I view each and every one of you as naught but children. Your tactics against enemies: primitive. Your magic: pathetic. By the end of this year, the most distinguished among you in terms of motivation and perseverance will find yourselves standing as equals to your so called "legends" of yore, and the denizens of the dark will not find you easy prey.

Go big or go home I say. Thought, we might have to go with the other vote if we lose the duel with Flitwick.

Also, I'm sure they wouldn't just throw Lockheart in the random tower that popped up overnight. He's a grown man, he can find a house or place of residence for himself.
>> No. 61961
Dude, that is just way more trouble than it's worth. Besides, Dumbledore is our boss right now and he already said no. No need to rock that boat.
>> No. 61962
>>61959
Well, with pretty much everyone except Patchy failing miserably at Diabolism and causing major harm in the process, they have every right to be apprehensive about it. No need to teach the students how to use it, when with a tiny little fuck up, anything summoned just goes on with a will of its own.

>Magic is a tool that reflects the intent of the user.

Yeah. Except improperly done Diabolism. Then the summoned demon goes on a crazy rampage.
>> No. 61963
[X] You can try, at least. Given how you intend to run your classes, best to try to make a good first impression.
-[X] Expectations... Well, you can always say for one that you hope for them to best your expectations. No need to say how low they actually are.
--[X] ...Best to not tell this to Albus either.
[X] As for Lockheart... Does he still have a residence or will the school or Board have to provide a place to stay, should he indeed be selected?
-[X] Not that you care that much but... Nobody had better get the idea that your tower is a good place for him.
>> No. 61964
File 143269513931.jpg - (121.43KB, 850x601, unrelated.jpg) [iqdb]
61964
Hm.

Well.

"... I suppose a few words are a small enough thing. If they delay tea, however, that is a problem..." you muse aloud.

"Ah, quite right." Albus says, seeming pleased. "If it's too long then the students will lose track of what you are saying anyway. Best to keep the announcements short and pertinent, I have found."

The conversation seems to have warmed up now that it's moved beyond topics that the moral guardian of the school finds distasteful. ... It seems like he's more offended by anything that might damage, tarnish, or alter the soul than any sort of bodily harm that could be inflicted, considering his blase attitude towards potential injury.

'Madame Pomphrey can fix it', and all of that.

... In any case, it's not as though you can't understand that point of view, and you're more annoyed at restrictions being placed upon you from On High than the actual details involved in them. You don't take being told what to do well.

As for the welcoming words themselves...

... Albus is taking on the responsibility about portal notification, you believe, so you'll just say something meaningless about hoping the little brats exceed your expectations of them. You can leave unspoken how low those expectations rest at this moment. Better to put off dashing their hopes for a little while.

"As for Lockheart... you mentioned before that he rented a room from the village, I recall?" you say, dredging your memory for the inconsequential details.

"Oh yes, during his tenure as defense instructor. Quite a shame, I had rather high hopes... but it seems like the ability to do something, and to properly teach others how to do it, are not quite the same thing. Nevertheless I suppose that it was far from the worst period for defense in the last twenty years."

... it isn't what you asked about, is it?

You just want to be sure you aren't going to be expected to board the man, even if you do want to take a look at him at some point. It's a difficult subject to edge around, when you have to consider the fact that if nobody's thought of it yet, bringing it up might well be what puts the fool notion in their heads.

"I'm sure that Gilderoy's finances have taken a hit from extended convalescence, but I don't doubt that he still possesses some income, and of course if he accepts the boards offer that will come with a small stipend on its own. More than enough to arrange for accommodations, I am sure." Dumbledore assures you.

--

[ ] ???
>> No. 61965
[X] Well, that's good to know. Now, you have some last minute things to go and deal with, but at what time should you be here today?
[X] You probably should check if the giants have managed to freed themselves by now...
[X] You should also talk to the Patchurri, see if perhaps any of her bodied child is ready to leave... The half-youkai merchant could be of use to you in retrieving students, if he can get youkais you don't want to bother with yourself to do it.
>> No. 61966
[X] Well, that's good to know. Now, you have some last minute things to go and deal with, but at what time should you be here today?
[X] Go prepare yourself for more traditional combat, after all it's been a while since the last time you've had to use anything other then spellcards.
>> No. 61967
Still a bit early to change, no?
>> No. 61968
[X] Well, that's good to know. Now, you have some last minute things to go and deal with, but at what time should you be here today?
[X] Go prepare yourself for more traditional combat, after all it's been a while since the last time you've had to use anything other then spellcards.

Fuck yukkuris. Anything that has nothing to do with them is a good vote in my book.
>> No. 61970
Fine, fine.

I am >>61965 . Vote change, but wanting to leave those options written here.


[X] Well, that's good to know. Now, you have some last minute things to go and deal with, but at what time should you be here today?
[X] You probably should check if the giants have managed to freed themselves by now...
[X] Find suitable clothes. You should make a good first impression.

Koumajou Densetsu clothes FTW.
>> No. 61971
[X] Well, that's good to know. Now, you have some last minute things to go and deal with, but at what time should you be here today?
[X] Go prepare yourself for more traditional combat, after all it's been a while since the last time you've had to use anything other then spellcards.

I had to double-check that I wasn't imagining this story being updated again.
>> No. 61972
Instead of summoning a demon, could we summon something more benevolent, bedazzling and beautiful?

[X] Think of doing the following in your duel with Flitwick, don't tell Albus this directly, but
[X] Ask if it would be fine to cast spells associated with the 'upper' planes instead of the 'lower' ones
[X] Prepare to do the following for the duel;
Create a small area of concentrated energy imbued in flora; sort of a peculiar miniature enchanted mystical fairy forest.

How would this work?
Source: either gather some magic from Gensokyo to transform into (in this case you can likely prepare a (part of) the enchantment), or directly connect the location through an intermultiverse portal to the plane of life or its equivalent. (E.g. Arborea). Even a small pinprick of a connection should be enough for this kind of creation to work. Instead of a scottish field, a lush greenery filled with flowers of all kinds, with its obligatory tiny fairies and walking plant-creatures, and a mysterious large lotus flower containing a greater sprite of some kind. This creature can proceed to 'charm the dwarf' like a Veela would. Success in this most likely constitutes a straight up one-shot win by simply informing your opponent that/how this creature `could have been dangerous`...

Such a feat can of course be illusionary and still be likely to work, even. But that's not good enough, and not really patchy's style. Reasons to do this include free popularity points from almost everyone.

It's a bit of elementalism combined with the 'other summonings' part from pache's specialization description. Thus -- should be within her area of expertise too.
>> No. 61973
[X] Well, that's good to know. Now, you have some last minute things to go and deal with, but at what time should you be here today?
[X] Go prepare yourself for more traditional combat, after all it's been a while since the last time you've had to use anything other then spellcards.

Lets move on! We'll finally see the first schoolday at this rate.
>> No. 61974
Kahi is seeking donations as Chibi-Reaper on his thread at
questionablequesting. Titled: Osaisen, commision'd Arts and Stories
>> No. 61975
https://forum.questionablequesting.com/threads/osaisen-commisiond-arts-and-stories.219/
>> No. 61976
File 143299376975.png - (737.33KB, 788x800, advancestudy.png) [iqdb]
61976
... Well, you suppose that that's that. You won't be obliged to board the man, and everything is permitted in the duel save actual demons or dead. Probably won't be a good idea to bring the greeks in, even, with those limitations.

"There are some personal matters I need to attend to. When should I be here for the feast?" you ask. Your first day of tutelage isn't until Monday, but you should probably make some manner of appearance through the castle in the meantime.

Even if it is going to be swarming with children after today.

"The train leaves London at around noon, and so... there have been occasions where the time of arrival isn't expected. Late due to leaves on the line, or a ministry check." Dumbledore says, and you make out a following grumble about 'Dementors near his students...'

He shakes his head.

"Normally, an instructor is present on the train to assist the prefects in keeping all the students in line, but in this case it may be inconvenient to ask of you. As long as you are here before dinner time you should make it to the feast." he says, sprightly. "And I'll have your salary prepared and delivered later today."

Very well, then.

You politely excuse yourself from the conversation and return to your library. Thinking about the greeks, you suppose you should check sooner or later and make sure they aren't causing trouble in the depths of the library...

... those thoughts are interrupted as you notice the spider, cleaning up and getting herself neat.

"Hey!" she says, drawing your attention. "I'm stepping out for a while. I've got plans to go drinking with a couple people."

... She doesn't drink enough here?

"Ah, I can read it on your face." she says, seeming put off by it. "But I've also got to get out of the stacks now and again. I feel like I'm going to smother in old paper if I don't, you know?"

... You don't follow at all. But you suppose you can't do much about it, as long as...

"Relax, relax... I'll be back later. That doctor's probably going to set up hunting squads if I don't show up, anyway." the spider says, retreating from your library.

You sigh a little and settle down. If you're fighting seriously, it's been a while since the last time...

In the end, you spend a period of time reading stories about old duels. The tale of the duel between Myrddin Emrys and Mim the Mad Dame is somewhat compelling and provokes contemplation and ideas...

.... transforming your own form has never really been a strong suit of yours, of course. And frankly, transforming yourself into a disease might be a little outside of your means, even if you polished up on things.

Summoning, of course... and it's the day of wood. There might be something to that. Wasn't there, on the slopes of that mountain...

Well, demons are out of bounds, but you don't always have to be a shrine maiden to call on gods. They just tend to get better, and more predictable, results.

Your thoughts are interrupted by a fairy.

"There's books at your tower!" she says. "And you've got letters!"

You hold out a hand, looking about... the time here means it's about noon there already. You've got a few more hours, it seems, before you need to change into something more formal and authoritative. The letters...

... One is from Alistair, mentioning that he's thinking of renting rooms of his home, and edges around the topics of the cleaning golems and fairy maids that are there. Tedious, but it's at least an important notification.

The other is from a student, the Granger girl, and prattles tiresomely on and on asking about things that will come up in class. If she's that concerned, then she can read the books, as there's no need to bother you about it until the class itself...

You are already beginning to dislike her.

---

[ ] ???
>> No. 61978
Not too keen on letting the Youkai Mountain crew know there's a school for magical teenagers since I'm pretty sure we still owe Sanae a favor for losing the duel against her. Also, summoning a god to a friendly duel seems kinda cheap. I mean like...animals and spirits would probably be more sportsmanlike.

[X] It occurs to you that Yamame's sudden disappearance might cause a backlash in your health. Take some time to speak with Tewi and Reimu about securing tong-term access to their respective health boosting powers.
[X] Make a copy of some notes relevant to the subject matters discussed in the books and mail them to Granger encrypted behind some sort of magical ward or puzzle. Tell her if she wants an edge up on her classmates, she's going to have to work for it.
-[X] Make sure it's sufficiently difficult such that it keep her busy at least until term starts.
>> No. 61979
>>61978
Term starts next day though. It's not much time to give her. That said:

[X] Make a copy of some notes relevant to the subject matters discussed in the books and mail them to Granger encrypted behind some sort of magical ward or puzzle. Tell her if she wants an edge up on her classmates, she's going to have to work for it.
>> No. 61980
[X] Ignore the questions in the letter. Anything of importance can be arranged in class later. It's best not to give in and to not reply at all to harrassment of any kind, lest she continue with it.
[X] Speaking of class, while you're expected to teach what is in the books, you do intend to arrange to challenge every student. With the Voile comes extensive magical knowledge, including that of the undead, fiends, the potency and abilities of cursed objects, and so on. You're sure you can keep everyone busy, so no need to bother replying. Keep what you're going to do secret for a while longer.
[X] Contemplate reviewing the education of each class of your students so far. For example knowledge of and practice with cursed items is likely spotty for the higher-years compared to what it should be. Plan on doing what they're 'behind on most' first.
[X] Contemplating cursed items, would it be possible to curse a book to hide its information (contain naught but blank pages) until some condition is met (say, its exposure to Gensokyo?). This way, you'll be able to provide information to your students in case they get abducted, without providing anything in any other scenario. This might be useful magic to research into over the weekend.
[X] You don't necessarily have to call on gods other beings to do your bidding. It might be simply enough to channel power from their realm to create something majestic by yourself.
>> No. 61981
>>61980

Dude...if one of these kids gets attacked, how likely is it that whatever is attacking them happens to be a fiend, undead or a cursed object?

Shouldn't we be teaching them to defend themselves against spells, magical creatures and regular, non-cursed magical objects? One or all of which will undoubtedly be in every fight they should happen to come across?

Also, way to go full uncaring substitute teacher on a kid that just wants to learn.
>> No. 61982
Guys? Why are you just focusing on Hermione?

[X] Your books arrived. Secure them immediately.
[X] For the Granger girl, just sent a short reply stating a review will be conducted to evaluate them, before more definite plans are made. Otherwise, she has the assigned book. Let's see if she will take the hint or if she'll get on your bad side for the whole year.
[X] You probably should at least get the fairies back from Alistair's home. The golems, you can see if he figured out he can order them or if you'll just point it out to him.
>> No. 61983
>>61979 here

Guy above has a good point.

[X] Your books arrived. Secure them immediately.
[X] For the Granger girl, just sent a short reply stating a review will be conducted to evaluate them, before more definite plans are made. Otherwise, she has the assigned book. Let's see if she will take the hint or if she'll get on your bad side for the whole year.
[X] You probably should at least get the fairies back from Alistair's home. The golems, you can see if he figured out he can order them or if you'll just point it out to him.
>> No. 61984
It's back!?

Amazing. Thank you.

[X] Your books arrived. Secure them immediately.
[X] For the Granger girl, just sent a short reply stating a review will be conducted to evaluate them, before more definite plans are made. Otherwise, she has the assigned book. Let's see if she will take the hint or if she'll get on your bad side for the whole year.
[X] You probably should at least get the fairies back from Alistair's home. The golems, you can see if he figured out he can order them or if you'll just point it out to him.
>> No. 61985
[X] Your books arrived. Secure them immediately.
[X] For the Granger girl, just sent a short reply stating a review will be conducted to evaluate them, before more definite plans are made. Otherwise, she has the assigned book. Let's see if she will take the hint or if she'll get on your bad side for the whole year.
[X] You probably should at least get the fairies back from Alistair's home. The golems, you can see if he figured out he can order them or if you'll just point it out to him.
>> No. 61986
[X] Your books arrived. Secure them immediately.
[X] For the Granger girl, just sent a short reply stating a review will be conducted to evaluate them, before more definite plans are made. Otherwise, she has the assigned book. Let's see if she will take the hint or if she'll get on your bad side for the whole year.
[X] You probably should at least get the fairies back from Alistair's home. The golems, you can see if he figured out he can order them or if you'll just point it out to him.
>> No. 61987
Some reasoning for >>61981

Out of character note: We know that Granger's just curious. Patchy doesn't though, yet. Which is why advocating restraint seems appropriate, because we're supposed to be annoyed with the note, so we might come across in the wrong way. Best leave it be for now, a little bit of curiosity is a good thing to have, makes people look forward to your lessons. Eye-to-eye conversation is far less likely to cause any sort of misunderstanding. You're very likely to mess up gauging proficiency at things without some experience directly teaching.

Also note, while we do have advanced stuff at our disposal, it's rather the 'knowledge of' that's important more than other things, it's also just an example of what directions we might go in beyond what's normally taught. The ability to resist temptation by the dark arts is a very useful one for any powerful magic user. Patchy must have learnt it yourself one day for she is still untarnished (well, mostly).

And actually, I'd imagine with the decline of magic that magical objects are pretty common, including the variety that intends to harm the user (what should be defined 'cursed'), e.g. the part of the field where you would say it's related to DADA. The 'intelligent' variety, e.g. that imbued with life somehow could be rarer. Undead are reasonably common too, with inferi and vampires as two examples. Though that is nothing really high-rank like say the ghosts of gensokyo. Fiends would be the rarest of those three things. Probably the only important things would be to learn what spells derive from that plane and any side-effects to identify a dark magic user, and what to do if you happen to be in the unfortunate path of a loose fiend resulting from a botched contract. Hide, most likely...
>> No. 61988
>>61987

Actually, now that I think about it, Patchy probably would think the most likely things to attack people would be fiends, undead and cursed shit. Simply because that's what she has to deal with all the time.

Of course, us readers know that to be not true in the HP verse.

In hindsight, I guess your vote isn't as silly as I previously thought.
>> No. 61989
[X] Your books arrived. Secure them immediately.
[X] For the Granger girl, just sent a short reply stating a review will be conducted to evaluate them, before more definite plans are made. Otherwise, she has the assigned book. Let's see if she will take the hint or if she'll get on your bad side for the whole year.
[X] You probably should at least get the fairies back from Alistair's home. The golems, you can see if he figured out he can order them or if you'll just point it out to him.
>> No. 61990
You should totally be the first author here to use Usami Sumireko. Her demeanor from the game looks kinda cringe worthy, but a chunni touhou could potentially be interesting.
>> No. 61991
File 143337606099.jpg - (336.26KB, 850x1198, cleaningtime.jpg) [iqdb]
61991
In the end, you have much, much more important things to be doing than passing advance information along when you should only have to say it once, in class.

Instead you pen a quick note that a review will be held in class to determine the precise curriculum and disregard other information. Showing initiative or not, the students will have to wait their turn about these things.

There's a snowy owl in front of your tower. You assume the post service, awaiting returns. You flick the letter that way and it plucks it out of the air before winging away.

With that handled, the books. Your freshly delivered books. You take a moment to gently stroke the covers. This one, slim and deceptively bound, are the hand-written notes transcribed from the Headmaster's journal. This one... ancient and it smells of dust. It would have long since decayed to nothingness if not for the arcane preservation methods that are as much a part of it as the heavy paper bound between carved wooden covers. Written in the original languages... these will be a treat.

Most importantly of all, however, is the compendium of playscripts. You hesitate, and then flip slowly through the pages, looking for....

Here.

Alistair can wait five minutes or so. You draw stone out of the wall and seat yourself, greedily finishing a script that you had paused most of the way through, knowledge that you would likely never know how it ended having been settled in like a buried thorn since the day your copy was lost to you.

...

In the end, all of the struggles of the protagonist are fruitless and desperate courage in the face of overwhelming force avail him nothing as the climactic antagonist destroys his assault and crushes his defensive struggles, and him, without hesitation or a moment's backward glance.

A bold decision, but it's clear why this script was rejected. After all, even if it paved the way for a sequel, the villain had clearly and unquestionably won.

There are more included in this compendium, but if you let yourself read just a little more and a little more, then you will still be turning pages when the welcoming feast is prepared and you are noticed missing.

For now, you suppose that you should put the books away and go have a look at Alistair's situation. A careful rip through the fabric of space and you step through to...

A large puddle, with fairies mopping up and chattering among themselves. To the side, Alistair is wringing a small flood into a bucket and out of a rug.

"The statues decided to clean the bedroom ceilings and it's dripping everywhere!" another fairy says cheerfully, hanging half into the room through the door.

"Good god." Alistair grunts.

---

[ ] ???
>> No. 61992
Kahi is seeking donations as Chibi-Reaper on his thread at
QqQ Titled: Osaisen, commision'd Arts and Stories

https://forum.questionablequesting.com/threads/osaisen-commisiond-arts-and-stories.219/
>> No. 61993
[X] Well, this IS somewhat your own fault here. You probably should help out a bit, before sending the fairies home and handling the golems.
>> No. 61994
[X] This is just a setback, modify the Golems to make it so that it doesn't attempt cleaning maneuvers on surfaces not suited for it and inform Alistair that he had the power to stop it if he had taken control of it before it got out of hand.
>> No. 61995
Pretty rude to just portal inside someone's house. Also, isn't Alistair a wizard? One would think he has defenses in place against people entering his home unannounced.

[X] This is just a setback, modify the Golems to make it so that it doesn't attempt cleaning maneuvers on surfaces not suited for it and inform Alistair that he had the power to stop it if he had taken control of it before it got out of hand.
-[X] Alistair also mentioned some issue with the maids. Round them up and let them know any further misbehaving will result in a one-on-one chat with the Chief Maid.
-[X] Offer him some small recompense for damages rendered.
-[X] Ask him if he has any tips or advice for dueling wizards.
[X] Get ready for diner.
>> No. 61996
>>61995
...Why leaving them here? Alistair is thinking of renting rooms. So the fairies need to be brought home or else they'll just cause mischief.

We'll need those for lessons anyway.
>> No. 61997
[X] This is just a setback, modify the Golems to make it so that it doesn't attempt cleaning maneuvers on surfaces not suited for it and inform Alistair that he had the power to stop it if he had taken control of it before it got out of hand.
-[X] Alistair also mentioned some issue with the maids. Round them up and let them know any further misbehaving will result in a one-on-one chat with the Chief Maid.
-[X] Offer him some small recompense for damages rendered.
-[X] Ask him if he has any tips or advice for dueling wizards.
-[x]-Idly inquire about who he intends to rent rooms out to.
[X] Get ready for diner.
>> No. 61998
[X] Well, this IS somewhat your own fault here. You probably should help out a bit, before sending the fairies home and handling the golems.
>> No. 62000
>>61996

Because their presence is obviously about to be relevant to some future plot point, otherwise Kahi probably wouldn't have taken the time to include them in recent updates. whomever is coming to stay is going to see them and use that knowledge to make themselves relevant to the plot.

Hopefully it's some dude from the ministry who proceeds to arrest Patchy for having possession of some many unregistered magical creatures. That would be pretty funny.
>> No. 62001
>>62000
Yeah, how about we dodge the hassle? They'll be shown enough during classes.

Besides, Alistair will not be getting much people to rent rooms if fairies are causing mischief. And we STILL need those fairies for classes anyway.
>> No. 62002
>>62001

Why do we need fairies for class? Just curious.
>> No. 62003
>>62002
To sick on students, of course!

After being trashed once or twice by fairies, then maybe the students will understand the value of teamwork.
>> No. 62004
Anyone that rents from a werewolf in Wizarding Britain is either in dire straits or up to some shady shit. We've little to fear from potential tenants.
>> No. 62006
>>62003

I'm sure the average student would be more than a match for a fairy or 10. Especially the future DA crowd. Even the first years would likely out match them.
>> No. 62007
>>62006
Less likely than you think. Fairies can work together. Students from all houses together? Not so much.
>> No. 62008
>>62007

They are also lack combat experiance and, for all intents and purposes, have 1 hp and an unspecified respawn timer. The students on the other hand are wizards, can take multiple shots and can reasonably be exspected to work together with the 10 or so other members of their house. There's no way the fairies can win. There are simply not enough of them. Even assuming 1 wizard beats only 1 fairy, Patchy would still need hundreds of them.
>> No. 62010
>>62008
Some fairies should be sturdier... And it also depend on what spells students are willing to use to begin with. Sure, they're immortal. Still don't expect students to throw around, say, fire right away.

Also, go reread older threads. The whole point of getting fairy maids, already trained, from Remilia and making a deal about it was to use in combat lessons. If there was an issue before, it would have been pointed out.
>> No. 62011
>>62010

I don't mind using them for combat training or whatever. Alls i'm sayin is they are gunna lose the 3rd years and above, and aren't teaching the student anything other than how to beat up fairies. Might be useful if they aspire to become a Shrine Maiden or Ordinary Magician, but that's about it.
>> No. 62012
Alot depends on how strong the fairies are, if they're simple stage 1 fae then yes they will get creamed and the students learn little however there's some midgame fae that can stand up to Marisa for a few seconds (assuming no spark) and put out some decent spam and should be much harder to deal with.

And if an extra stage death fairy gets mixed in there then the students will need all the help they can get.....
>> No. 62016
File 143360106412.jpg - (26.62KB, 457x472, concerns.jpg) [iqdb]
62016
>>62012

>summoning the extra stage Death Fairy on mere mortals

Whoa man, we were all having a lighthearted discussion here, let's not get too crazy. I'm sure Albus wants his student coming back next year.
>> No. 62017
>>62016
No worries. Just enforce spellcard rules and everyone will be fine.

...Wait. Do fairies actually pay attention to / need to pay attention to spellcard rules at all?
>> No. 62018
>>62017

We aren't in Kansas anymore bro. Spellcard rules don't apply here.
>> No. 62020
Next Thread:

>>62019
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Top]


[Delete or report post]
Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Switch to Mobile Page]
Thread Watcher x