[Return]
Archived thread

File 126699645215.png - (240.81KB , 1312x757 , Buddies_by_Bankart.png ) [iqdb]
34571 No. 34571
You are a synchronizer.

Your bloodied, bandaged feet pound on the fresh snow, leaves whipping your face as you plunge through the forest.

You are nothing without a comrade.

Your hand clutches a small switchblade, clutched in the icy palm of your hand. All feeling -- pain, suffering -- has drained out of you.

What do you think you can achieve, with that useless toy?

They are behind you, those things that are spreading from the Distortion.

Yes, you are lost. Completely and utterly lost.

You smash through the underbrush and onto the road. You stop, panting, your breath misting in the winter air.

Those things killed everyone already... you are the only survivor. Any weapons and tools you had are long since lost or destroyed.

But you seem to have lost them in the woods. The Imp’s pathfinding was never that great, and it showed in the obstacle-laden pine forest. You turn towards the destination. Numbness had long since set in, driving out any conception of pain you might have had.

Distantly, you hear the burble of a stream, and set out towards it. The knife seems to thrum with power as you draw closer to the noise. It comforts you, bringing some sense of feeling to your tattered body.

A rickety bridge covers the river, which is nearly iced over. You pause to rest, leaning on a pine tree. Death definitely has a couple fingers in you.

You duck instinctively.

The scarlet moon shines overhead.

“Ha!” A girlish voice laughs from across the river. “Your pathetic dodging will not save you... from Cirno, the strongest!”

You glare across the river. A smallish girl stands proudly, idly tossing a snowball up and catching it. She threw a snowball at you?

“I see you have been silenced by my awesome power!” Cirno proclaims, arrogantly.

“Is this some kind of joke?” You stare at her, voice deadpan. “Why don’t you go home before your bedtime?”

“You bastard!” You calmly dodge a few more snowballs. “I’ll-- I’ll--” She pulls a strip of paper from within her coat. “DODGE THIS!”

But before she can execute her grand plan, she freezes, staring at something right over your shoulder. “What’s that?”

Dread grips you. You turn around.

“It’s an imp.”

Blood and drool drip from its jaws, running down onto its musclebound body, lined with gory spikes. Its hands terminate in three long, vicious claws.

It had some friends coming down the road too.

In a second, you flip out your knife and stab, throwing all of your weight into the thrust, driving the point into its chest. Blood pours from the puncture.

It seems dazed for about a second before it swings its arm. It hits like a warhammer: suddenly you skid across the ground, rolling, grinding your skin across the cold cobblestones of the bridge.

Cirno seems frozen in terror, hands stuck on the slip of paper. “Get going! RUN!” you snarl as you drag yourself on your knee, bloodied knife clutched in her trembling fingers.

The words shock her. “NO! I am the strongest!” The fairy flutters ahead of you and mutters a few words.

The next second, a catastrophic explosion of ice bursts ahead of you, crushing into the formation of imps. Your mouth falls open in shock. Is she a witch? Or perhaps one of them...?

Whatever the case, the freeze dissipates in a few moments, and soon you see her handiwork.

One imp lays dead at the front of the formation. The rest continue their slow advance, slobbering maws hungry for flesh.

“Get out of here,” you snarl, standing up. “I’ll cover you.”

“Never!” She says, voice shaky yet oddly competent. “Cirno is the strongest; these guys are just cheaters!”

You place a hand on her shoulder. You were about to berate her, scream at her to save herself. You will not allow another person to die because you did nothing. You will not--

The force of it hits you like a van. The moment your bloody hand falls to Cirno’s shoulder, you feel it. Instantly, your chest starts to thrum with a terrible power. A resonance, a synchronization. Cirno feels it too; her whole body thrums with that same energy. “What is this?” She gasps.

It is a power you alone possess.

It could save you both... or it could tear you both limb from limb.

Do you...

...give in to it? If only to save this stupid girl and yourself.
...resist it? Fight those beasts with your own strength, right to the bloody finish.

>> No. 34572
[X] ...resist it. Fight those beasts with your own strength, right to the bloody finish.
>> No. 34575
[X] ...give in to it? If only to save this stupid girl and yourself.

Hell yeah, Touhou x Doom crossover

Yukari is not going to be happy.
>> No. 34576
[X] ...give in to it? If only to save this stupid girl and yourself.
>> No. 34577
[X] ...resist it. Fight those beasts with your own strength, right to the bloody finish.
>> No. 34578
[X] ...give in to it? If only to save this stupid girl and yourself.
>> No. 34579
[x] ...give in to it? If only to save this stupid girl and yourself.
>> No. 34580
[x] ...give in to it? If only to save this stupid girl and yourself.

God damn it, either the UAC managed to rip a gateway open to both Hell and Gensokyo or Hell's trying to find a staging area before trying Earth in its entirety.
>> No. 34581
[X] ...give in to it? If only to save this stupid girl and yourself.

NEW STORY!

Well. This should be interesting...
>> No. 34582
If we resist, we may find a better partner along the road.

But, then again, who is better than the strongest?

[x]...give in to it? If only to save this stupid girl and yourself.
>> No. 34583
File 126703433042.png - (185.25KB , 271x400 , DoomImp.png ) [iqdb]
34583
You are now hearing Judas Priests' - "Painkiller" playing in your mind. For those that have played DOOM ought to know why...

Here let me help you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEhb4T0YJtI

For those that still don't get it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw[/spoiler]
>> No. 34584
>>34583
http://doomisalotofmetal.ytmnd.com/
>> No. 34586
[x]...give in to it? If only to save this stupid girl and yourself.

Methinks we're going to see a lot of Touhoes die unpleasantly before this is over.

>synchronizer
Now all I can think of is Hisui and Kohaku.
>> No. 34587
[Q]...give in to it? If only to save this stupid girl and yourself.

Oooh. This looks pretty decent.
>> No. 34590
By the way, which version of Doom are you taking the enemies from?
>> No. 34591
File 12670600475.jpg - (531.80KB , 800x1110 , _Doom___Imp_Attack_by_Uber_Fiend.jpg ) [iqdb]
34591
You let go of all your inhibitions, and Cirno’s powers, such as they are, flood into you. The girl’s body stiffens beneath you as she synchronizes.

The knife glows brilliantly, shifting shape in your palm. The imps draw in close, but you barely notice their advance. The power that chains you to Cirno is growing stronger, altering your weapon.

“What is this? I, Cirno, am...” she gasps, her face turning a shade of scarlet.

At last, your knife ceases its transformation. You glance down at your palm and see...

... a pissy little blue derringer, about the size of a tennis ball. It chambers two rounds, one in each barrel, reloaded via break action.

Nice going, bros.

Slowly, you raise the gun at the oncoming imps, Cirno’s breath coming fast and desperate. You swallow your trepidation and pull the trigger.

With a loud crack the gun fires. A single pellet of ice bursts from the first barrel, hitting the imp in the chest. It flinches for a second before resuming its advance, now sporting a tiny hole in its chest above the puncture wound.

“It’s worse?” you wonder aloud. “You actually made it worse.”

“Cirno is the strongest!” The fairy roars, shocked out of her reverie by the insult.

You can barely believe what happens next. Cirno’s rage spreads through you, into the gun, into the ice pellet you just fired. And then it explodes: an ice crystal expands, jagged edges ripping the demon apart from within.

You finally understand. You need to collaborate with your partner. “Stay here,” you snarl as you scoop some snow up from the ground. The imps continue to advance, eager to devour you, as you quickly load some snow into the empty chamber. As it snaps shut, you wave at Cirno. “When I give the signal, do that again!”

Cirno’s eyes narrows in dim comprehension. “Cirno understands. Go forth, my lackey!”

You charge into the swarm of imps, dodging their swipes as you pump a single ice pellet into each one. They are on all sides, they crush inwards, but you roll between them, your combat instincts overtaking all of your pain and weakness. There must be at least forty, but your own murderous intent rushes into to fill the gap: your face bound in a cruel mask of violence, you effortlessly scoop more snow into the gun, hitting each demon once.

Suddenly, claws dig into your back, slashing only inches from your spine. You hit the ground but scrabble on ahead.

“Cirno, do it!”

“Ha...” she begins, tapping her forehead like a psychic. “HA!”

The roar of forty imps dying at once fills your ears as ice crystals shred their intestines. Acrid blood spills around you, hissing with boiling heat on the snow. A sigh of relief escapes you as you force your body upright.

But it is too much to maintain the synchronization. The power drains out of you and back into Cirno, and you suddenly feel a deep, horrible emptiness. Bleariness overcomes your vision. In your palm the derringer has turned back into a switchblade.

“Ha! Clearly, Cirno is the strongest.”

‘You’re the strongest? Fuck off.’ You try to say it aloud, but your throat is dry and parched.

“Hey. You. Underling. What is your name?

‘My name?’

“Hmm.” Her face shifts off into concern. Arrogant concern. “Lackey, has your feeble body finally failed you?

“Lackey?

“Wake up!”

#

When you come to, you’re laying in a dimly-lit room. Your sensations have, unfortunately, returned, and pain is digging into your feet. You lie on something soft, but the pain still digs into your head.

It’s a tatami room, you realize, classical-Japanese-style. Kicking off the covers of your bedroll, you start to search the room. You quickly come upon your switchblade, resting on a small corner table, and the remains of your armor. You hadn’t grokked how much damage the old suit had taken: your trusty green armor is ripped, scorched, and punctured thoroughly. ‘Sorry, old partner, looks like you’ve finally reached retirement. But I still have a mission to carry out.’

You glance down; you’re currently wearing some kind of Japanese outfit, a loose-fitting robe.

Christ, you hope Cirno didn’t change you. There are some insults one simply does not endure.

As you pocket your switchblade, you throw open the door and step out into the early morning light. The crimson moon is still shining high above, ignorant of the dawn. As you carefully head out onto the porch, you turn a corner and blunder straight into a girl with dark hair and a red dress.

“Oh, you’re up.” You look down at her; you stand head shoulders over her. “I’m surprised; you were halfway to the underworld when Cirno led me to you.”

The moment you touched her, you felt another resonance. You could synchronize with this girl easily; however, she has not stiffened or blushed like Cirno did. Perhaps she is just hiding it.

She frowns. “You alright? You really should be in bed.”

“Yeah. Fine,” you say, glancing around. “Look, I need to--”

“Discuss those creatures?”

“Yeah. Look, I work for a group called the UA--”

“It’ll have to wait. I’ve called some of my... compatriots together to discuss the current situation. Come on -- I have some awesome sake!”

You sigh. Some how the Distortion managed to link you to this place. Really, their world is being invaded by demons and this lady -- a powerful mystic, if the resonance indicates anything -- wants sake?

You follow her into a larger front room, marked by a table. “So, what’s your name?” She heads to the small minibar in the corner.

You glance outside. It must be nearly noon, yet it seems very dark....

“Ah, rudeness. I am Reimu Harukei, maiden of this shrine...”

“Name’s--” you pause. The Moon drifts towards the noontime sun. “Hey. Look at this.”

“What?”

“There’s about to be an eclipse.”

Reimu rushes to your side. “I should have known! Stupid, stupid, stupid!”

As the Distortion draws over the Sun, a preternatural darkness falls over Gensokyo. All around you, monsters begin to warp in, appearing through packets of tight green lightning. Instinctively you draw your knife, blade flicking out.

The first monster fully arrives: a hulking mancubus, prodigious folds of fat glistening with acrid sweat that hisses when it drips to the ground. Reimu yanks a slip of paper out from her dress, but a second too late.

The mancubus turns on the elegant Shinto shrine and, remorselessly, fires its flamethrowers.

Needless to say, the shrine was all but vaporized.

Reimu lets loose a scream of pure primal rage as she reads her spell, releasing a barrage of white light.

The demon turns toward you. And as the barrage of energy hits it, you cannot believe your eyes: a pentacle of burning hellish flame appears before the monster, shielding it, absorbing the divine light. Its demonic blood is protecting it!

Even as this happens, other demons begin to gather in the courtyard, fully arriving from their own dimension. However, you can feel the cavalry coming: more people like Reimu, resonating in the distance as they draw towards the shrine.

You...

...synchronize with Reimu. Perhaps the power of the resonance will let you overcome the demonic auras!
...run towards the nearest approaching resonance. Maybe one of the newcomers will have the power to defeat the demon’s defenses!
>> No. 34592
[X]...synchronize with Reimu. Perhaps the power of the resonance will let you overcome the demonic auras!

Two words: Fantasy Heaven

I wonder if we can synchronize with Yukari? That would be awesome.
>> No. 34594
[x] ...run towards the nearest approaching resonance. Maybe one of the newcomers will have the power to defeat the demon’s defenses!

If Reimu's attacks have little effect on it, sync won't have much better luck. Time to get some help. Remeber Cirno's attacks had an effect on those imps so syncing with her helped.
>> No. 34597
[X] ...run towards the nearest approaching resonance. Maybe one of the newcomers will have the power to defeat the demon’s defenses!
>> No. 34598
>>34590
Doom I and Doom II enemies.
Sorry, missed your question.
>> No. 34599
[X]...run towards the nearest approaching resonance. Maybe one of the newcomers will have the power to defeat the demon’s defenses!

It's one thing dealing with just one Mancubus, but it only takes a few to make things much worse. Bad enough it takes a couple of shots from the double barrel shotgun to take at least one down; unless of course they're lined up or clustered for the rest of the shots.

Nonetheless, they're tough.
>> No. 34600
Too bad Reimu's "resonance" wouldn't change the blade into a chainsaw... or would it..? It's actually be perfect to use one of the Mancubus's body as a shield as well as target. Take them down one by one as it interrupts their attacks
>> No. 34601
>>34600
Who knows? Since the effect seems random, such as Cirno turning his knife into a very puny pea shooter with icy bomb peas. But it's an extension of the girl's power, so if her power alone has a nice effect on them, then syncing with them will be better.
>> No. 34602
[x]...run towards the nearest approaching resonance. Maybe one of the newcomers will have the power to defeat the demon’s defenses!
Demonic beats divine, or so it seems. We need a neutral Youkai (So, no Remilia, Flandre, Reimu Byakuren or Shikieiki)
>> No. 34604
> Doom I and Doom II enemies.

> Doom II

> Icon of Sin

Something tells me that a few rockets to the brain ain't gonna take it down this time.
>> No. 34605
[X]...run towards the nearest approaching resonance. Maybe one of the newcomers will have the power to defeat the demon’s defenses!

The most powerful human in Gensokyo countered? Hm. We may have to move on to the NEXT most powerful...

I wonder what we could do if we sync with Marisa...no doubt she'll want in on this. Since the sun is now blocked, that allows Remilia to come out, too. Shooting a spear that according to legend, at least always hits and always kills might not be too bad a thing. Add that to Remi's rage of her powers being used by someone other than her...
>> No. 34606
>>34602
Remilia's attack type is physical and vampric/dark
Flandre's is fire/neutral
Shinki's might be divine if not dark.
Byakuren's would be neutral/dark.

The main ones in trouble would be Reimu, Sanae, and perhaps the two gods.

Also keep in mind that Reimu didn't give her best shot, but the fact something could resist one of her attacks...
>> No. 34608
File 126714844447.jpg - (117.11KB , 672x1024 , Archvile_by_metalpiss.jpg ) [iqdb]
34608
“Cover me, I’m going for backup!” You turn and run towards the nearest approaching resonance, leaping onto the snowy ground.

“Mm!” Reimu calls.

You hear her slinging magic at the demons as you cut through the woods around the shrine. There’s a resonance up ahead, alright, but different from Reimu’s. It’s... shakier, you suppose. More irregular.

The darkness becomes thicker as you run, ignoring the cold on your bare feet and the branches whipping your face.

“Ze, what’s this?”

The voice came from straight up. You skid to a halt, digging your heels into the snow.

A witch descends into you’re vision. No kidding: a young blonde woman, dressed in a witch’s hat and robe, clutching a spellbook to her chest. “It’s a stranger! I wonder if you are the one Cirno told me about.”

You narrow your eyes. This is definitely the girl you felt the resonance come from.

“I don’t get it -- what the frick has you running scared? It’s not like these demons are that dangerous. Ze. I killed six of them on the way here!”

“Come with me. Reimu’s in trouble.” You take off towards the shrine. Sporadic bursts of light erupt across the darkened sky -- Reimu is struggling. You clutch your knife in your palm.

“Aww, come on!” The girl pulls up next to you. “Reimu’s the toughest human in Gensokyo, none of these small fries could hurt her, ze--”

You burst back onto the shrine grounds to a bone-chilling sight. The shrine buildings have been all but annihilated, burned to twisted, charred supports sticking out of the ground. Reimu dodges admist the rubble, hurling divine magic at the Mancubae as they made their ponderous way towards her to no effect.

“BASTARDS!” screams the witch as she rushes forward on her broom, raising her arms high.

“Marisa,” gasps Reimu.

“NON-DIRECTIONAL LASER!

Instinct takes over, you throw yourself to the deck as a brilliant array of destruction erupts from Marisa’s body. The brilliant light cuts through the first line of Mancubae, tearing them apart in a geyser of gore.

The light clears, leaving a solid smoke screen in front of you. “Weak~!” moans the witch. “You’re getting soft, Reimu~” But your instincts won’t let you get up.

A barrage of fireballs erupts from the smoke, ripping into the shattered shrine. The witch flies up, but Reimu takes it square on the chin, knocking her back. You watch as her body sails through the air, landing next to you. The screen clears -- more mancubae are marching over the corpses of their former comrades, guns raised high.

“Reimu!”

But the disaster just rolls on. As you watch, some of the Mancubae begin to regenerate, stitching themselves back together from scorched bodies. Your mind supplies the answer.

Archvile.

There’s an Archvile somewhere around here. It cast the defensive ward around the Mancubae, and now it’s found some way to resurrect demons from afar!

Shit. Fuck this. You need to do something.

You...

[ ]...check Reimu. She took a hell of a hit, she might need help!
[ ]...sync up with Marisa. She seems to have damaged some of the Mancubae beyond repair, maybe together you can wipe them all out!
[ ]...search for the Archvile on your own. You’ve been fighting demons long enough to deal with one of those bastards!
[ ]Write-in.

----------------
Note: Write-in is always welcome, even if I forget to include the option.
>> No. 34609
[x]...sync up with Marisa. She seems to have damaged some of the Mancubae beyond repair, maybe together you can wipe them all out!

Then we can check on Reimu and take out that Archvile if it's still left.
>> No. 34610
[X]...sync up with Marisa. She seems to have damaged some of the Mancubae beyond repair, maybe together you can wipe them all out!

[x]...check Reimu. She took a hell of a hit, she might need help!

Marisa appears to be able to kill them, plus we may be able to delay them long enough to get Reimu to a safe spot. By then a bit more help may arrive on the scene.
>> No. 34611
>>34606
The first two are vampiric in origin - undead - demonic. Water doesn't do anything to water.
The last two are divine in origin, although a different kind when compared to a Shrine Maiden, but also useless.

[x]...sync up with Marisa. She seems to have damaged some of the Mancubae beyond repair, maybe together you can wipe them all out!
It doesn't get any more neutral than a witch living in a forest and her attacks pack a nice punch. Not unlike a rocket launcher, in my opinion.
>> No. 34612
[x]...sync up with Marisa. She seems to have damaged some of the Mancubae beyond repair, maybe together you can wipe them all out!
>> No. 34613
[X]...sync up with Marisa. She seems to have damaged some of the Mancubae beyond repair, maybe together you can wipe them all out!
[X]...check Reimu. She took a hell of a hit, she might need help!

[X] Later, if you have time, tell them and anyone who can help as much about the demonic threat your facing as possible.

Hopefully we don't get something like a Cyber Demon or a Spider Mastermind in the near future. That would suck.
>> No. 34614
[X]...sync up with Marisa. She seems to have damaged some of the Mancubae beyond repair, maybe together you can wipe them all out!


Let's blow some shit up.
>> No. 34623
[x] ...check Reimu. She took a hell of a hit, she might need help!
[x] ...sync up with Marisa. She seems to have damaged some of the Mancubae beyond repair, maybe together you can wipe them all out!
[x] Later, if you have time, tell them and anyone who can help as much about the demonic threat you're facing as possible.

Reimu first.
>> No. 34632
[X]...sync up with Marisa. Go high, find that Archvile!

Take out the reinforcer first.
>> No. 34633
[x] ...check Reimu. She took a hell of a hit, she might need help!
[x] ...sync up with Marisa. She seems to have damaged some of the Mancubae beyond repair, maybe together you can wipe them all out.
[x] Go high, find that Archvile!

Leaving an injured Reimu on her own against regenerating demons while her powers have little effect seems like a dick move. If we can get her to safety first, then we can go Archvile hunting with Marisa.

Stuff blowing up is fun, but not at the cost of an innocent that just happens to be holding Gensokyo together
>> No. 34635
>>34633
But checking on her and helping her would be hard if there's demons in the area.
>> No. 34636
>>34635

True, but we really just have to get her out of the area. Marisa can fly pretty fast, though adjusting to the added weight might be a slight issue, if at all. We can check on Reimu while in the air.
>> No. 34637
File 126728566840.jpg - (197.73KB , 640x480 , needletime.jpg ) [iqdb]
34637
>>34586
I've pictured Kohaku as the protagonist so far. We need to sync with Erin at some point, for needletime.

[x] Inform Marisa of the Archvile, and how it is tactically advisable to end it.
[x] ...check Reimu. She took a hell of a hit, she might need help!

Marisa's got these guys' numbers, with or without our help.
Due to their divine resistance, Reimu is more or less useless even if she can move. This situation is now a game of capture-the-Reimu, and the other team only needs one cap to win.
>> No. 34641
File 12673100157.jpg - (45.20KB , 620x465 , painelemental.jpg ) [iqdb]
34641
You curse. Capture-the-Reimu, is it?

You rush towards Marisa, weaving between barrages of fire. “Marisa!” you roar. “My hand!”

“Ze?!” She turns just in time to see you reach out and grab her shoulder.

The next second seems to take hours. Cirno was nothing compared to this sync: all at once, your body is filled with a crazed, greedy pulsing. It threatens to shatter your bones, rend you limb from limb. Marisa lets loose a terrible moan as your knife twists itself out of shape, changing into...

...when your vision clears, you’re staring down a mancubus. Its three green eyes glare at you soullessly. No time to waste; you cradle the new gun and squeeze the trigger.

For a second, nothing happens. And then... the barrel of the weapon glows white from within.

The mancubus seems to shrink away from what’s about to happen.

A spiraling laser erupts from the end of your weapon, catching the Mancubus up in a storm of scarring heat. His comrades behind him die like dogs; the beam tears through an entire column.

“Ah... this feeling is so...”

Behind you Marisa stares into the heavens, dazed. “Witch! Wake up!” you snap.

“Ze... what is it? I was having a nice dream.” She spirals up above you. “What the fuck is that thing?”

“Railgun,” you say, sidestepping another burst of fire. It is a railgun, if the most slipshod and unstable one you’ve ever seen. The control rod is plainly visible on the side, cracking with energy from the cooldown. A crude scope has been duct-taped to the roof, and wiring sticks out from beneath the metal plates all across the device. You yank the lever on the side, ejecting the toasted fuses.

“And where did the fuck did you do get it?”

“Got it from you, but that’s not the point!” You roll under a barrage and pull the trigger. The gun bucks in your arm as another wave of mancubae dissolve. But even now their dead are starting to reform. “Go high! We need to find the archvile!”

“The archy-whatsit?”

“It’s a spellcaster! It’s regenerating these bastards!”

“Ze!”

Marisa yanks up on her broom and rushes into the cloud cover. You dash between blasts, stopping and rolling when you reach Reimu. “Come on, fatsos,” you mutter, racking the railgun again. “You ready to get erased?!”

You raise the gun and fire, obliterating the mancubae again and again. As their volume of fire increases, you grab Reimu’s unconscious form from the ground and sweep it onto your back. Her body is horribly, horribly light, but she seems to cling to you unconsciously. Good girl.

As you fire again, you feel the railgun click ominously. Fear twists in your stomach. You duck behind some rubble, pulling the fuse magazine out of the railgun’s belly. Second-worst fears confirmed: there’s only one set of fuses left, and you have no idea how to get more. No convenient snow reloads this time.

You hear Marisa as if she is right next to you. “Found it! Fucker’s hiding in the woods nearby.”

You have once chance.

“Where!”

“North of the shrine. It’s surrounded by wards though. Nothing my lasers can’t handle, ze!”

There’s a long silence.

“My magic... My magic is gone!”

“Show me where!” The mancubae rain fire on your position, and you rush from cover.

“How the frick do I do that?!”

“Just...” With a burst of will, you suddenly see through Marisa’s eyes. You’re high up, but the ground is clear enough. You see yourself and Reimu, fighting a rising tide of demons. And, in the woods, surrounded by dark sigils molded from hellfire and charred trees, is the Archvile, sitting in meditation.

It’s a million to one. Calculating where to shoot into the woods, from where you stand, through someone else’s eyes, while being shelled by hellions. It’s impossible.

You crouch low, aim high, and pull the trigger.

Marisa’s angle on this is beautiful. The burst rips through the forest, tearing through trees and demons, shredding the defensive, and tearing the Archvile apart. All at once, the coiling laser rips it from its seat, twisting it out of shape. The demons lets loose a moan, “Why?”, before it dissolves altogether.

“Marisa! Your power!” you shout. The railgun dissolves in your hand, useless without fuses. And with that, you cannot catch the words that Marisa utters, but you see the aftermath. A shining beam of light bursts from her, sweeping across the ground.

Nothing is left in its wake but charred ground.

#####################

Once the combat high left off, you and Marisa were both brainless wrecks. Blundering through the woods, Marisa flew low, next to you, as Reimu bounces on your back. The three of you were too much weight for the poor thing -- as you learned the hard way.

“Where are we going?” you ask, vaguely.

“Dunno. Maybe Patchy’s house?”

You were in no condition to argue.

“That was a crazy feeling,” said Marisa, vaguely rubbing her stomach. “It was pretty awesome though, ze. You a weird mage or somethin’?”

“I guess.”

“Can you do it without stealin’ all my spells?”

“Dunno.”

You’d underestimated the consequences of syncing up. You had more pure power, yes, but the greater the resonance the more damage you take. You’re hurting in places you didn’t even know you had. It was hours before either of you grew your brains back.

“So just who the frick are you?” Marisa asks.

“I’m called--” You pause. “Shush.”

“Don’t tell me shush, ze!”

“Just do it!” you hiss. You definitely heard something. A soft caw, like a crow.

You throw yourself aside as a burning skull slams into a tree next to you, sinking in its teeth. Your knife is out in a second, but Marisa beats you to a punch. A blast of magic rips into the skull, destroying it, the tree, and every other tree behind it for quite some distance.

“The frick was that?!”

“Lost soul,” you mutter. “They’ll skeletonize a grown man in less than a minute. And where there’s one, you can usually find the daddy.”

Sure enough, you can hear the warped cry of the pain elemental on the wind. “Run!” you snap. Your feet pound the underbrush; each footfall sounds like a bass drum. As you navigate through the woods, you hear them closing in: the sharp shrieks of the lost souls, hungry for flesh.

As you run, suddenly you burst through the woods and onto the edge of a great chasm. “The Giant Fissure!” announces Marisa, circling above the sheer black drop.

You glance back. You only have a few options. You...

[ ] ...give Reimu to Marisa. The broom could certainly handle two teenaged girls, and you survive on your own.
[ ]...stick together and run. Smaller groups are in larger danger.
[ ]... try to fight the demons together, drained as you and Marisa both are.
>> No. 34643
>>34637
>Erin
Hi, Scorn!

This is an awfully badass Kohaku if so, though.

[x] ...stick together and run. Smaller groups are in larger danger.
>> No. 34644
[x] ...stick together and run. Smaller groups are in larger danger.
>> No. 34645
[X]...stick together and run. Smaller groups are in larger danger.

That went...slightly better than I had expected it to. Hooray for railguns and blowing stuff up!

>It is a railgun, if the most slipshod and unstable one you’ve ever seen. The control rod is plainly visible on the side, cracking with energy from the cooldown. A crude scope has been duct-taped to the roof, and wiring sticks out from beneath the metal plates all across the device.

I lol'd

Fricking HATE Lost Souls!
>> No. 34648
[X]...stick together and run. Smaller groups are in larger danger.

I'm now wondering how the rest of Gensokyo is dealing with a demonic takeover.

At least be glad that Archviles can't revive Lost Souls, Pain Elementals, Cyber Demons, Spider Masterminds, and each other.

And I don't remember there being a 'Giant Fissure' in Gensokyo at any point before this. Must be thanks to the Icon of Sin or something.
>> No. 34649
>>34648
I think that's the enterence to Makai (Home of Shinki), someone should check the Touhou Wikia for that matter.
>> No. 34650
Ah, Railgun; the great communicator!

[X] ...stick together and run. Smaller groups are in larger danger.
>> No. 34651
[x] ...stick together and run. Smaller groups are in larger danger.
>> No. 34653
[X] ...stick together and run. Smaller groups are in larger danger.
Awesome.

Also? We should kind of help those spellcaster with demonic and divine origins. The two vampires have bodyguards, but I'm guessing that Youkai Mountain will easily be overrun.
>> No. 34654
>>34653
Nothing ruled out demonic-type power in this story (and in one of the Doom games I recall being able to get a relic of hell that works quite well one them)

And Youkai mountain is home to the Tengu, generally able fighters and neutral if that helps.
>> No. 34656
>>34654
>in one of the Doom games I recall being able to get a relic of hell that works quite well one them

I was under the impression the author's just sticking with Ultimate D00M & D00M II; not that it really matters too much but aside from the final boss (DOOM3) where it's necessary that relic always felt game breaking to me.

Not even the invincibility power - up that would appear once in a while felt that bad.
>> No. 34658
File 126742610931.jpg - (108.87KB , 540x864 , doom-imp_DerekYu.jpg ) [iqdb]
34658
OST: Evil Horde – Hangarmaggedon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYwq16UyK8g

Your feet pound the ground, hammering the squishy soil. Reimu’s body bounces on your back as you run; Marisa speeds along beside you.

“Marisa!” you shout. “Give ‘em something to think about!”

“Ze!” Marisa spins around, now flying backwards. “Haaa... HA!” A barrage of brilliant light erupts from her hands, spraying behind you. The lost souls let out a collective scream behind, their bones cracking.

“How’s it look?” you gasp. Your breath comes in shallow and desperate, and your legs scream to stop.

“Fail...” says Marisa, wearily. “Not even half of 'em. You wrecked my magic, ze!”

“Well... excuse me, witch,” you mutter. You can feel the pack of skulls bearing down on your back, their endless, insatiable hunger for human flesh projected out around them.

“What are they, anyway?” Marisa asks. “They don’t like any demons I’ve seen.”

“Excuse... me...” you wheeze, “but the briefing will... have to come later...”

“Wimp.”

“Hey... you want to... carry her...?”

“No.”

As you run, following the curve of the chasm, you begin to feel an encroaching sense of death. You have felt it close in on you many times before. Pinned down in the Hanger, surrounded by toxic sludge on one side and demons on the other. Chased through the open terrain by revenant missiles, matched dodge for dodge. Forced to put a bullet through a man’s head as he turned into one of undead.

The hands of the end close in on you, snatching at your heels.

‘Wouldn’t it be nice to give in? Just let the demons take you? You wouldn’t have to think any more. You wouldn’t have to fight. You wouldn’t need to struggle. All we want is your soul~’

Oh, fuck off. You redouble your efforts, rushing along the chasm’s edge. As you run, Marisa pulls up beside you. “Ze, I’ll try and lure them away!”

“No, we should...should stick together... the biggest... group always... lives.”

“I can deal with the small fries as long as you and Reimu are out of the way!” She laughs. “And she is more important, anyhow. Ze.”

“I... Be...be careful... there are Pain Elementals with them... they... spawn more!”

“Got it. Go go go!”

Marisa drops away as you run, luring a good pack of lost souls over the chasm. You dodge deeper into the forest. Good luck, Marisa, you’ll need it.

The sense of death falls away as you disappear among the trees. Suddenly, your exertions catch up with you. Pain rocks your body as you fall to your knees, struggling for consciousness.

Looks like you finally took a step too far.

Damn it all.

Dammit!

You rest Reimu against the tree and collapse next to her. Reimu did take a hell of a beating: bandages are wound around her chest where the mancubae scorched her skin. Third degree burns at the least.

She’s lucky, though. Most victims of the mancubae simply burned. Vaporized. Or gibbed.

You get your second wind eventually, your breath slowing. You rise to your feet and begin to pick up Reimu when you hear it. A clicking noise. A rasping of gears. You turn away, leaving Reimu where she lies.

It drops behind you.

You throw Reimu over your shoulder and dodge as a blade that slices over your shoulder. Whirling about, you find yourself coming face to face with a porcelain doll, its eyes empty and soulless, a knife attachment gleaming where its arm ought to be.

You turn around. Dozens of other dolls have descended, hanging from the trees around you. You stare them down, standing in front of Reimu.

“You aren’t demons. We don’t need to fight.” You watch them for any sign of danger. You hate it -- without one of these children, you’re powerless. You need a weapon, something you could use.

But where are you going to get a good-old shotgun here?

“So who is pulling the strings?”

“I am.”

A yellow-haired girl emerged from the forest, flanked by two dolls.

“You are the stranger?” she said, coldly.

“So I’m told.”

“They’re talking about you throughout Gensokyo, you know. What’s left of it.” Her voice remains icy. “They say you can fight the demons. Scatter them. I have heard it said you are the only one who can break them.”

“I’m gonna break your toys unless you get out of my way.”

“As you said, we do not need to fight. I require your help.”

“For what?”

“When the hellions first attacked, they came to my home in the Magic Forest. They destroyed it utterly, led them in particular: a human who had been corrupted by devils. I wish to kill this human.” You cannot help but notice her hands trembling as she recalls the attack. “He’s following me. He wants this treasure.” She drops the sack on the ground, where it clanks loudly. “So help me, stranger. In return, I shall escort you wherever you wish to go.”

She breathes deeply. “I am Alice Margatroid, and I require your help slaying this hellion.”

You say...

[ ]... “I don’t have time for this. Reimu needs help, ASAP!”
[ ]... “Fine. Fetch Marisa. It’s time for a hunt.”
[ ]... “I’ll help you. But after I get this girl to safety.”
[ ] Write in.

-----------------------------------------------

The author apologizes for Marisa running off on her own. You know how she is. I was against it, you were against it, but ultimately she was the one with the hakkero. It was impossible to justify her not acting on her own initiative in that situation, so I ended up going where the story led. I will think through the audience choices better next time!
>> No. 34659
[x] "Sounds good, but I think we should get Marisa first, her firepower has proven most useful."
-[x] "And would you know anything where Reimu could rest and recover? Or at least some first aid?"

Here's my shot at it.
>> No. 34661
[x] "Sounds good, but I think we should get Marisa first, her firepower has proven most useful."
-[x] "And would you know anything where Reimu could rest and recover? Or at least some first aid?"

Makes sense to me. Though I wonder what we'd get if we synced up with Alice.

I'm suddenly reminded of Megaman while reading this.
>> No. 34662
[x] "Sounds good, but I think we should get Marisa first, her firepower has proven most useful."
-[x] "And would you know anything where Reimu could rest and recover? Or at least some first aid?"
Nice. Neither leaving Marisa alone nor Reimu in the open are acceptable choices.
>> No. 34663
[x] "Sounds good, but I think we should get Marisa first, her firepower has proven most useful."
-[x] "And would you know anything where Reimu could rest and recover? Or at least some first aid?"

>>34661
I'm suddenly reminded of Megaman while reading this.

He technically is in someways, or at the very least the "Ruby-Spears" version where it seems he gets one or a couple of powers by merely touching his target in an instant but soon loses access/forgets them later on by choice or default seemingly.
>> No. 34664
>>34663
>>34661

Case in point, and excuse the extra cheese; although the last few seconds of it made me lol hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7dSJN5LgsE
>> No. 34666
[x] "Sounds good, but I think we should get Marisa first, her firepower has proven most useful."
-[x] "And would you know anything where Reimu could rest and recover? Or at least some first aid?"

>>34664

I think Pharaohman was the only Robot Master to keep fighting after his weapon was stolen.

Surprised Marisa didn't blast him when he "borrowed" her power.
>> No. 34667
> They’re talking about you throughout Gensokyo, you know. What’s left of it.

This...does not bod well. It looks like Hell is winning against Gensokyo. Or Yukari hasn't woken up yet.

[X] "Sounds good, but I think we should get Marisa first, her firepower has proven most useful."
-[X] "And would you know anything where Reimu could rest and recover? Or at least some first aid?"
>> No. 34670
[x] "Sounds good, but I think we should get Marisa first, her firepower has proven most useful."
-[x] "And would you know anything where Reimu could rest and recover? Or at least some first aid?"

Okay, fine.
>> No. 34671
On another note, I'm somewhat surprised no one picked up the Quake reference considering the rail gun's first major appearance had been in Quake II, then again considering our protagonist's ability being rather reminiscent of Megaman I suppose that's fine too.
>> No. 34684
>>34671

I just now noticed that. So basically we have a Doom+Touhou with a little Megaman and Quake thrown in. Fucking. Awesome.

[x] "Sounds good, but I think we should get Marisa first, her firepower has proven most useful."
-[x] "And would you know anything where Reimu could rest and recover? Or at least some first aid?"

>>34671

In that case...we may need more than just Yukari if Hell has already overrun half ok Gensokyo already.
>> No. 34685
>>34684

Don't you mean >>34667 on that second point?

/nitpick
>> No. 34687
File 126755212051.jpg - (153.58KB , 800x600 , a2a1f009ca933283d01bcb7fb2cc30fe.jpg ) [iqdb]
34687
>>34684

Yeah, I noticed. The delete password got screwed up.

Oh. And pic more or less related.
>> No. 34689
>>34687
I giggled madly. It's so... perfect, really.
>> No. 34698
File 126763511956.jpg - (392.34KB , 850x1202 , sample-bccd49426e4596c5ddecf3bfe816ccc5.jpg ) [iqdb]
34698
>>34687
Beautiful, anon. Where did you find that?

------------------------------------------------

“Fine,” you growl. “But there are a couple things on the to-do list that come first.”

“What?”

“First off, send one of your toys to fetch Marisa. Second, find somewhere to stash Reimu, get her some help. Then we’ll talk about a demon hunt.”

“Marisa is here? Where?”

You point back towards the chasm. “Fighting demons -- that way. I’m sure she’s dealt with them by now. Know her?”

“She is... an acquaintance.”

“Then get her so we can move out!” you snap.

“...very well.”

You check on Reimu. Beneath the bandages her chest still rises and falls. Her pulse is normal; all told, she is one of the luckier survivors of a Mancubus strike. The bandages are clean.

“Ze! Alice~!” Marisa calls, her voice as grating as ever.

“Marisa.” Alice stands in the clearing, eyes on the ground. “I feared the worst.”

“The frick are you talking about?” Marisa asked. “I’m tougher than you. Ze! If you’re standing here, then I–”

“They burned the magic forest.”

Marisa freezes. “Oh?”

“I don’t know what became of the youkai living there.”

Marisa chews her lip. “Yukari is gonna be pissed!”

“I have seen no sign of her. Perhaps she overslept?”

“How irresponsible! Ze!”

“Of course, you would know nothing of irresponsibility.”

“What the hell, Alice? I’ve been fighting my butt off!”

Alice turns around. “Come along. We have business to attend to.”

######################################################################

You carried Reimu through the woods until you emerged near a sheer rocky cliff boardering the forest. Marisa flies along beside you, clearly thinking she’s pretty hot shit. As you leave the forest cover, Alice mutters something under her breath.

The cliff-face falls away, revealing a lighted cave.

“Nice illusion. Not.”

Alice walks in, ignoring the jibe.

“Shut it, Marisa.” You follow Alice inside, Reimu resting on your back. The shrine maiden shifts slightly, breathing gently on your neck.

How long has it been since you felt the breath of another person on your skin? How long have you been stumbling through the whirling vortex the UAC summoned?

How long have you been fighting them? The memories from before elude your grasp. A trip to Phobos... before that...

You shake your head out. Now’s not the time.

Alice snaps her fingers, and the lights come on.

“I see you opted for the ‘snapper’ over the clapper. Ze.”

You glance around. Dolls line the impromptu shelves, watching you soullessly. A small desk occupies the corner, lined with doll parts. There are a few barrels in the corner, apparently stocked with food.

You imagine it: a small parade of dolls, carrying flotsam and jetsam across the ravaged countryside.

You smile.

“What’s so funny, ze?”

“Nothing at all.”

The puppets start pulling food out of the barrels as Alice sits at her desk. “After they burned the forest, I came here looking for Reimu. I only heard rumors of the great devil-slayer on the way. I was fortunate to cross your path.”

“So what’s goin’ on?” asks Marisa, plopping down next to the puppet-master. “How’s Gensokyo holding up?”


“Poorly. I met very few yokai on the way here. Most were hiding. Many buildings have been destroyed.” The dolls begin preparing tea. “I heard sounds of battle near yokai mountain. The tengu seemed to be mounting a fairly heroic defense. I killed as many demons as I could, for what it’s worth.”

“Ze, the tengu are hardcore bastards. They’ll be fine.” Marisa leans back in her chair, studying the cave ceiling. “But can we get some frickin’ food? Seriously, starvin’ here.”

“Mmm, right here.”

You watch, eyebrow raised, as a small division of dolls, no more than a foot tall, walk up to you, carrying a tray of dumplings. You are not one to say no to free food. As you lay in, the girls continue talking.

“I admit, I was a tad worried,” said Marisa. “I mean, I own you every time we meet, so maybe the demons were too tough...”

“Do not patronize me, Marisa.”

“But that’s practically my job.”

As the girls chatter to each other, you fall away into a dreamless and heavy sleep, a dumpling still clutched in your hand...

######################################################################

“Ze! Wake up!”

Your eyes open by inches. Bit by bit the world comes together. Dolls crawl about the walls, gathering up supplies. A hiss fills your ears...

... you leap up, fully awake, knocking Marisa back. Cacodemons. You can hear them clearly outside.

“Floating meatballs! Floating meatballs are out there!” hisses Marisa, pointing at the cave exit. “They haven’t spotted the illusion yet, but they’re gonna – they have an archy-whatsit with them!”

“Cacodemons and archviles. Respectively.” You glance around. “How many?”

“Lots!”

“How fucking many is lots?!”

“How the fuck should I know?!”

“Ballpark figure!” you snap.

“About... eh... forty?”

More than you can deal with, short of synching up. But you drained Marisa badly; if you synch up again, you could incapacitate her. Either way, it’s not something you care to experiment with.

You glance around; the dolls are clearing out. “Where are they headed? Where’s Alice?”

“She has a back exit to the cave, she’s gathering everything up and hauling it majorly!”

“Well then...” you growl, “What are we waiting for?” You grab Reimu out of the corner and lift her onto your back.

You proceed to get the hell out of dodge, following the trail of dolls down the tunnel. It becomes dark as you run inwards, Marisa one step behind you.

Up ahead you see Alice, standing stalk still.

“Alice, run!”

“He’s here,” she whispers.

“Who is?”

“The human who is a demon.”

You skid to a halt, pulling up beside her. Something is out there, glowing a hellish red in the dark. Hellfire lies that way. Slowly, the scarlet light starts to shift into a pattern, adopting a collection of zigzags and twirls roughly outlining the shape of a male body.

“Is there another way out of the cave?” you mutter.

“Yes.”

Marisa pulls up, immediately taking in the situation.

“Take it. I’ll cover you. Bring Reimu.” You give Reimu to Alice, who shoulders her carefully.

“Me too,” Marisa offers.




“No go on,” you say. “I have this.”

“Dirty liar, that’s what you are.” She laughs. “Besides, Reimu is more important than either of us.”

“And why is that?”

“Is now the time, ze?”

The figure begins to stalk forwards, after the retreating light of Alice and Reimu.

“Yo!” you shout. “Asshole! Eyes here.”

Its glowing eyes turn towards you, shining malevolence.

“Marisa, light him up!”

You flick open your knife as Marisa’s spells flare blindingly. The demon screams as the magic rips into him, shredding his flesh apart in a torrent of power. His defensive wards achieved nothing: he was battered down with pure strength.

“And that’s how you do it.”

The dark of the cave is now bright, fires burning in the corners. There’s nothing left but ash, and you’re reasonably certain the ceiling was closer before. All the same, you are uneasy...

“Come on, we can still catch up to Alice if we hurry!”

“Not just yet, if you please.”

Marisa whirls around. “Ri-ri-”

You should have known. Anything the demons create can be repaired. It’s the strategy that makes them ever so dangerous. If the archviles can’t raise it again, they dust it off and turn it into a revenant. If that doesn’t work, they eat the corpse. Reabsorb everything they lost.

So fuckin’ crass.

“But surely we can stay and talk a while,” the blond man says. Livid scarring runs up and his body, demonic symbols cut into the flesh. You realize the patterns match the red glow perfectly.

“Rinnosuke,” Marisa gasps, tears forming at the corners of her eyes.

“Yes. It is I.”

“How?

“An imp clawed me to death. Ate part of my leg.” He reaches down and feels the scars there. “But that was not the end of it. Their spellcasters found me. Put me back together.” He swallows, eyes tearing up. “I wasn’t allowed to die.”

“Kourin...”

“No, they made me into this. Cast their spells so I would be lucid until I saw another native of Gensokyo. Made it so I would lose my mind with bloodlust whenever I caught sight of someone else.” He looks at his hands, crying freely. “I’ve killed so many of my friends. I’ve killed people I’ve never met. Innocents, all of them.” A crazed smile spreads across his face. “I just can’t control it anymore. I can only suppress it now because you tore me to shreds, Marisa – thank you! Thank you!”

“Kourin!” Marisa says, regaining some of her composure. “Get it together!”

“I came here because I heard you kill them, stranger. The demons.” He puts a hand to his chest. “I want you... I want you to kill me. Before I hurt anyone else.”

“No!” screams Marisa. “We’ll get someone to help you! Eirin could fix you!”

“Even if she could, there’s no time to get to her home,” says Rinnosuke, staring straight at you. “I’d lose whatever semblance of humanity I have left long before I get there. Even now I want to kill you. The demon wants to violate you, tear you apart. Kill me for good, stranger!” He begins sobbing. “Kill me before I can hurt Marisa!”

Marisa steps in front of you. “No! You won’t hurt Kourin!”

You...

[ ]...kill him. He deserves to die a human.
[ ]...spare him. There has to be a way to save him.
>> No. 34701
[x]...kill him. He deserves to die a human.

As much as I'd like to go the idealistic route, things are looking very bad and do not have the the best think tank. Better to put him out of his suffering and to ensure Marisa stays safe. I wonder if there's a way such a notion can really work without undue risk.
>> No. 34702
File 126763750879.jpg - (173.55KB , 876x1000 , a1092be0f0ac83c59eeb2a8ddd35d432.jpg ) [iqdb]
34702
[x]...kill him. He deserves to die a human.
I sure hope Marisa doesn't start a tantrum over this. I can understand that she's a teenager, but Kourin chose her life over his. She needs to respect that.
>> No. 34703
[x]...spare him. There has to be a way to save him.

Losing Marisa's support is not that great.
>> No. 34706
>>34698
>>34687

Found it on Danbooru, actually. Ironically, it was sitting in the "Clever" pool. It was just...screaming to be posted.

On another note...

[X]...kill him. He deserves to die a human

He said himself that any aid he could be capable of receiving couldn't be reached in enough time. It'll result in a tear jerker and Marisa will be upset, sure, but on the flip side, it gives her more motivation to go kill those demons.

;_; why, Mr. U? WHY?!?

I'm guess our knife is no longer in railgun mode? Definitely like Ruby-Spears Megaman
>> No. 34707
>Mr. Ulmeyda
>Someone turning into a Heaven's Smile demon
>"I want you to kill me."
Gah, Killer7 flashbacks. Those goddamn ambulances...

[X]...kill him. He deserves to die a human.
>> No. 34710
[X]...kill him. He deserves to die a human.

He deserves to die as a man, not a monster.

Besides, who's to say that Eientei isn't destroyed by this point?

We truly need to take out the Icon of Sin very soon, or Gensokyo will be turned into Hell's Forward Base to the retaking of the rest of the Earth.
>> No. 34713
If we had more information things might be different, but that isn't likely in such a story. If we're lucky Yukari might be able to do a reset once this is all over.
>> No. 34714
File 126766958947.png - (164.50KB , 799x799 , smug elf-aya.png ) [iqdb]
34714
>>34713
Sorry, I think you misspelled Keine there.
>> No. 34715
[x] ...kill him. He deserves to die a human.

demon science got into me and turned me bad, bro
>> No. 34716
>>34714
Yukari has mad haxing skills; though she might need Keine's help and vica versa.
>> No. 34719
I think Yukari is already holding a siege from outside Gensokyo. Earth is already overran, and Gensokyo is the only relatively safe haven.
>> No. 34720
>>34719

...fuck...

We may just have to get the moon bitches to help, if the moon isn't already under attack as well.

And I think the Icon of Sin is dealing with the Dragon God currently, as the Dragon God only interferes with anything in Gensokyo when stuff like this happens.

The Dragon God is also the most powerful thing native to Gensokyo period. That includes any other god there.
>> No. 34722
>>34719
There has been no evidence of that yet. It's more likely that they decided to attack Gensokyo first because it had the strongest defenders. Once it has been overrun, there will be nothing left to oppose them.
Well nothing except a single guy on foot armed with a shotgun.
>> No. 34724
>>34720
>Dragon God
What? Where are you even getting this?

...A quick search of the wiki shows the only times "dragon god" appears in canon are a vague reference in Iku's profile and the PMiSS article. Since what you said seems to line up with PMiSS, I'll assume that's where you got it.

You must be new here.

For the record, the information in PMiSS is not to be taken literally. It is written from a character's perspective, which right off the bat means it's fallible. Add to that that said character is Akyu, who would have to get all her information second- or third-hand, and that she even admits (see Monologue) to a lot of the information being questionable. The result is that "Perfect Memento" is about as canon as most of the stories on this site. Which is to say, not at all. Never mind the fact that most authors choose to selectively ignore parts of canon for the purpose of storytelling. So there's very little you can safely assume based on meta-knowledge.


tl;dr: Don't assume shit unless there's actual evidence for it in the same story you're assuming shit about.

I'm sorely tempted to cross-post this in Fell's thread. People seem to be convinced of similar theories about Orange when the evidence is flimsy at best.
>> No. 34725
>>34724
More like with a bag of salt, but in this story we know too little to make any assumptions. All that we know is they've wrecked the forest of magic, the shrine, and that Rinnosuke has killed some of his friends due to his state.

I wonder about the status of the SDM considering this story is in /sdm/

But the theories in Fell's story are based on the fact Yukari called her "LADY Orange" I.e. a very respectful fashion from Yukari who would have the gall to call other faction heads nicknames and have the power to get away with it. It'd take something more powerful than she is to command her respect.
>> No. 34726
>>34724

...Yes, there are things in PMiSS which should be taken with a grain of salt, but information pertaining to the closest thing Gensokyo has to a creation god, of which there are eyewitness accounts of and is even part of real Japanese mythology, is not one of them.
>> No. 34727
>>34726
Only ones who might have reliable information would be Yukari and perhaps Iku. Neither would easily reveal it though.
>> No. 34729
>>34726
>eyewitness accounts
Where? Akyu just tells a Noah-esque story about the dragon and the youkai sages without giving any details. What >>34727 said, basically. Although there should probably be a few more names on that list.

Come to think of it, do we know whether Hieda's reincarnation cycle matches up with the border's creation? I'm now curious as to whether she was there for it personally.

>part of real Japanese mythology
That pretty much went out the window when we started talking about works by ZUN.
>> No. 34731
>>34729

This isn't information from thousands and thousands of years ago that no longer have any credit. His last appearance was only over a century ago, and there would be no reason for Akyuu to lie or embellish info about the single most important event in Gensokyo.
>> No. 34732
File 126777552737.jpg - (154.28KB , 470x705 , 091022-doom-2.jpg ) [iqdb]
34732
>>34707
I wondered how long it would take for someone to pick up on that. Hmm... maybe my next project should be 'The Hakurei Syndicate.'

------------------------------------------------

Your heart chills.

You’ve put bullets into the heads of comrades before. Killed them as they begged you to end it before they rose again.

But never like this. Marisa stares you down, face fixed.

“I can’t hold it back for much longer,” murmurs Rinnosuke. “Hurry! Kill me!”

“I won’t let you!” Marisa spread her arms out.

Damn it. She could kill you if you piss her off...

... but, all the same, this is more important.

You feint to the left, dodge the right. Marisa falls for it and you drive forward, knife at the ready. Hellfire begins to glow around Rinnosuke as he stands, arms out, defenseless. Marisa screams at you, but you cannot make out the words. Your knife flicks through the air.

Rinnosuke’s jugular splits open, blood running down onto his chest. “Thank you, stranger,” he murmurs. “Look...for a red flag...”

He falls backwards.

The silence stretches into centuries.

“Kourin,” Marisa whispers, voice shaking. You clean your knife on the hem of your robe and walk towards the exit. “You killed Kourin... you bastard!”

Marisa has conjured her spells; spheres of deadly magic orbit her head. At any moment you could become their target. You stare down the girl, your heart hardening. She’s throwing a tantrum at you? You saved Rinnosuke for her sake!

“What are you waiting for?”

“I’m going to kill you,” she hisses. Her arms shake with nervous tension, but her eyes are cold as ice.

“And just what the hell would that achieve?”

Her resolve starts to melt. “Avenging Rinnosuke!”

“Think about what you’re doing!” You pocket your knife. If she decides to fire, you will die either way. “Who killed Rinnosuke? It sure as hell wasn’t me, I’ll tell you that.”

“You stabbed him to death! You did it!”

“No. I stabbed a demon to death. A demon that took his form. But what was left him crawled back up to the surface for you. You! You want to throw that back in your face? Fine!” You spread your arms wide. “I won’t fight back. But when you kill me, you have to take on this battle. The burden of defeating hell itself will fall on you. I’ll be glad for the rest.” Your face hardens into a cruel smile. “If you think that's why Rinnosuke sacrificed himself, then we’re all dead anyway.”

Marisa withers under the assault. You feel bad, slightly, preying on her emotions. But you had to do it, didn’t you? It was this or death. But all around you the specters of dead comrades moan, still begging for release.

“Come on. The demons did this to him. Let’s pay them back by inches.”

Marisa’s eyes have glazed over, lost in memory. You walk over and sit beside her.

“Can we bury him?” she asks.

There’s no time, but you do it anyway.

########################################################################

The simple stone pile is the best you can do for him. Marisa burns his name into the cavern wall.

RINNOSUKE MORICHIKA

And with that, you both leave.

“Don’t tell Alice,” Marisa says.

“I won’t.”

As you emerge into the upper levels, you can hear the distant rumble of demon voices. You wonder how much of this country has been overrun already. Have you already lost?

Finally, you enter the light again. The Sun casts a low evening light across the mountains, glaring brightly off the snowy forest below. Alice paces in a small area, surrounded by dolls. Reimu lies down on an impromptu bed of luggage.

“Marisa!” she looks up at once. “I was frightened.”

“Messy,” Marisa says.

Alice frowns. “Are you perfectly well?”

“Yeah. Just fine.” Marisa’s words sting. You make the cut it out gesture to Alice, who takes the hint.

“Where are we going?” asks Alice. “I came seeking Reimu’s assistance, but...”

“Patchy.”

“Patchouli Knowledge?”

“No, the other Patchy. Of course Patchouli!” Marisa climbs on her broom and rises up, scanning the terrain. “Come on. I’ll find the safest way.”

As you pick up Reimu and start braving the mountain path, Alice pulls up beside you. “May I ask what occurred?”

“No.”

“Why?”

“My word of honor.” You glance at her. There is real concern in her eyes. “Don’t ask. Don’t even think about it.”

“I see.” Alice shuts her eyes, thoughtfully. “I am afraid for her, all the same.”

You look at the speck on the horizon. “If I survived, so will she.”

You climb the rugged mountain terrain until the light fails. Marisa descends. “First watch,” she says, camping out on an outlying rock.

“Fine,” you reply, unrolling a bed roll. “I’ll take second. Wake me up in three hours.”

As Marisa grieves alone, you roll on your side, trying to tease some warmth out of the covers. No one dares risk a fire – a flashing neon ‘kill and eat me’ sign if there ever was one – and so two of the four travelers are left to brave the elements on their own. Alice lies next to Reimu, sharing her heat.

Why is that shrine maiden so important? Shit, you keep forgetting to ask.

Whatever. You nod out...

##################################################################

A loud hiss fills your ears. You leap upwards; the second time cacodemons wrecked your sleep schedule. Shit!

You get your bearings. The morning sun pours down from the east. Alice is still sitting up, rubbing her eyes. “Eh...?”

“Cacodemons!” shouts Marisa, and the next thing you notice is a dark shape launching into the air. Then, curses raining from above, tearing the red bastards apart. As the pack of cacodemons contends with the witch, you turn to Alice.

“Get up! We need to get moving, ASAP!”

“R-rright,” Alice blubbers. Immediately, dolls spring into action, packing up the supplies. You flick out your knife and dash away, trying to lure some of them from Reimu. They fall for it; a group breaks off and chases you. Lightning bursts around you as they spit their deadly projectiles.

And then you catch sight of it. You could not see it in the dark, but flapping distinctly on a distant crag is a red cloth, tied firmly to a short wooden pole. “A red flag...”

You glance up. Marisa is shredding the demons, but where there’s one pack there are always a few more. Alice has packed up the gear and is fleeing northwest, while the flag is northeast, out of your way.

Only one thing to do. You dodge northeast, stepping sure-footedly between the mountain debris. As you dash, you hear a familiar grunt. As you sprint along the edge of a long crevice, you glance down.

Imps are pushing up the canyon, moving in small clumps. You curse inwardly. They’re pulling out all the stops. You dodge towards the flag, whipping in the air. The demon fire rains around you, but you dodge between it all.

You braved the cyberdemon on Phobos. You dodged swarms of revenant rockets on Deimos. “You think you can take me with this shit?!” you shout, joyously, sprinting under the open skies.

An imp jumps in front of you. It’s not like the first night you were here. This is straight-up the toughest you’ve ever been. Your knife flicks out, and in a second it hits the vital points, stabs and slashes erupting across the imp’s chest. With a swift kick you knock it into a chasm, and you run off again.

The cacodemons follow sluggishly.

You can hear more of them, and yet you’re utterly unafraid. Pinkies are coming up too, along with the familiar groans of zombies. You’re still unafraid. Power is radiating from that flag, a power you can grasp.

Suddenly, there are sparks in the air around you. You hit the deck, hard rocks gashing your skin.

An explosion erupts around you.

As you rise up, burned, slashed, you see it. An archvile stands on a nearby crag, hands raised high. You scowl at it.

‘I bet you did this. You scarred Marisa, mutilated someone precious to her? You don’t even know, do you?’ Its gaze is utterly alien, devoid of humanity. ‘I won’t let this invasion go further. Not an inch further...!’

The Archvile raises his arms again, and you cover your head –

-- and the world around you explodes. You’re sailing through the air, weightlessly, until you hit the rock. You enter a world of hard, sharp surfaces, cutting you to shreds. You roll inside a crevice, out of danger. Blood streams into your eyes. Burns line your chest. Every cell in you wants to lie down and die.

But this body can still move, damn it! As long as these muscles can move, you force them to move through sheer willpower. You rise up when you realize it.

Your knife is gone.

In the distance, the Archvile reaches into a rocky nook and pulls it out.

Existential dread fills you.

Hellfire begins to glow around your knife.

You stumble forward, trying to save it.

It dissolves into nothingness, before you can even act.

All at once, your world becomes one of pain.

Without the knife filtering for you, you feel resonance from everything. The alien music of the demons, the drone of the zombies, the troubled heartbeat of the earth below, Marisa high in the sky, Alice retreating in the distance ever so slowly

It all

It all

Tears you apart

You clutch at your head. You can even feel the resonance of the archvile in the distance, the xeno-sounds clawing at your brain.

You sink to your knees, out of the demon’s sight. It’s no good. You’re finished. The resonance of death fills the air around you.

“Ze! Pull it together!”

A deafening noise fills your head as Marisa drops in next to you on her broom.

“You just gave me a whole speech about giving the demons what-for, now you freak out over a friggin’ knife?! Don’t tell me these cuts are slowin’ you down – nothing slows you down!”

Her resonation soothes you. Its proximity drowns out everything else, one syncopated beat you can comprehend.

“Come on, we’ll do it together! Revenge for everything! PULL IT TOGETHER!” She grabs your shoulder.

It is all you need.

Her resonation becomes clear in your head. The demon songs play no more.

“Cover me,” you growl. “I’m going to that flag.”

“Kourin’s flag,” she breathes, looking up at it.

“The one.” You stand. “GO.”

Marisa tears from under cover, magic blasting across the rocky crags. You rush headlong towards the red flag, listening to the explosions of magic. Your whole body screams, but you hold fast to Marisa’s resonance, the soulful beat. That alone keeps you alive.

‘You fool. All your powers are derived from others. How pathetic...’

You tune out the noise of Marisa’s battle as you climb the crag, towards the flag. You can just see something sticking out of the ground, the red cloth wrapped around it. Fireballs arc lazily over your head as your hand closes around it.

‘I don’t know if you’re going to get this message.’ It’s Rinnosuke’s voice, sounding in your ear. ‘Maybe my worst fears will come to past. Maybe I’ll kill you before you can kill me. Maybe you’re already dead when I get there. But I leave this in the deepest hope that you’re still fighting them.’

You rip the weapon out of the ground. It’s a katana. A fucking katana. You have no idea how to use this, dammit Rinnosuke!

‘I found this in Marisa’s possessions. She thought it was scrap metal. It’s actual kusanagi-no-tsurugi, an ancient sword. I hear it can slay demons... I really wouldn’t know. It’s all I can give you. Good luck.’

A friggin’ shotgun is all you want. A few hundred shells. You turned back the invasion of Phobos Hanger with a good-old pump-action shotgun. You turn down the crag, gripping the sheathed blade in your hand.

But you work with what you find. Imps and zombies are slowly ascending on all sides of the slope. With a twist you rip the sword free of the scabbard and rush into the mass.

The weapon is deadlier than you hoped. You cut through demon flesh murderously, hacking away with no technique or elegance. Whoever busted out the Rurouni Kenshin shit when fighting demons? Your arm goes up and down, crushing their skulls. “MEIFUMADO!” you roar, crashing through the swarm in a torrent of blood.

They barely understand what happens, falling like wheat to the scythe. As you burst from the swarm, you catch sight of the fire-slinging archvile. Marisa flies circles around it, raining spells on the creature’s defensive wards. Explosions erupt around Marisa as she climbs into the air.

You dash towards it, weaving between demons. Fire and plasma sail around you. Twenty feet, twenty-five. You roll under a dumb revenant rocket. Ten, five. You sidestep a swipe of an Imp’s claw.

He’s in your reach.

“Suck kusanagi, bitch!”

It turns just in time to see you swing at its fragile midsection. The blade sinks into the narrow spinal column as you twist the blade; the archvile shrieks, its hellfire defenses dissolving into nothingness. With a swift twist you tear free and kick the monster’s legs out from underneath it.

Too much weight on too ravged a column.

It breaks in half; as the body descends, you slash once more and remove its head.

You remember a samurai movie you saw once. You flick the blade at the ground, leaving a distinct red pattern. It hisses acidically.

“Frickin’ radical!” Marisa dives down next to you.

All around you, hellions crawl out of the canyons and caves. There must be at least four hundred working their way out of the depths: Barons, Knights, Revenants, Mancubae, Imps, but no more archviles.

“Marisa,” you say.

“Ze?”

“Give ‘em some love.”

“For Rinnosuke.” Marisa rises up, raising her arms high. “Love sign... MASTER SPARK!”

########################################################################

Marisa was ready to pass out, but somehow you stumbled your way out of the mountains. As you stepped down into an open snow field, a set of trees dissolve to reveal Alice camped out with her dolls, Reimu tucked safely away.

“I sent a doll to observe your condition.” Alice nods at the scabbard in your hand. “What is that?”

“A gift from a friend.” You tuck it inside your sash. “But come along. We need to find this ‘Patchy’ I’m hearing so much about.”

“Mmm. This way.” You set off in the late afternoon light.

It seems the demons got the message when you shelled them with Master Spark; you do not see anything moving for miles. It is not long before you enter yet another snowy forest, your bandaged feet numb by somehow still carrying you. The pain is so minor your brain can barely notice it.

Marisa is comatose on her broom, eyes open but unseeing.

When, without warning, a baron of hell crashes through the air and into a tree, line, roaring the whole way. Everyone is jostled awake.

“Ze... wah...?”

You pull kusanagi from its sheath. Then you see it: a girl stumbling through the trees, pouring something into her mouth from a gourd. Two long horns project from her forehead.

“*hic* I don’ see what everybody is so worked up ‘bout,” she says, drunkenly. “These things are weak...”

The baron dies, impaled on an eight-foot splinter.

“We oni could kill these chumps in our *hic* sheep.”

“Suika?” Alice asks.

“Oh, ‘sup Alice!” Suika pauses, staring straight at you. “Hey, *hic* are you that stranger Cirno was talkin’ about?”

You look right at her. “Maybe.”

“But I *hic* don’t tink it could be, ‘cuz Cirno said you were eight feet tall, muscle-bound, and had a big scar on your nose... but Sunny-milk said you’re a court lady from the Shogun’s house who has a holy sword. So you must be somebody else.”

Her resonation sounds clearly in your ears. A jaunty, ragged beat, like a song played in a 30s bar. It makes you smile.

“I don’t know what you heard. I just know I’m as hardcore as they come.”

“*hic* Bet you aren’t as tough as an Oni!”

You here a roar in the distance, the typical cry of the barons. You turn. “They’re here.”

You take off running, closely followed by Alice and Marisa. “Oh...” mutters Marisa. “Damn it... I want to destroy them!”

“You’re in no condition for fighting!” you snap.

You check behind. Suika is bounding up behind you like a puppy. She had better not be wanting to fight you know. As you turn back, you see something closing in up ahead.

You skid to a halt. More of them have blocked the road up ahead: hulking, towering shades in the shadowed forest. The Sun is barely visible above the tree line.

“How far is Patchy’s house?”

“Not long. A mile, at the most.” Alice’s dolls form a perimeter around you as Suika joins the group.

“Marisa, go for reinforcements. Take Reimu.”

“I want to fight!”

“With what?”

Marisa raises her arms to cast a spell, producing a few sparks in the air. “Ugh... you screwed up my magic!”

“My utmost apologies. GET. GOING.”

“Hmph!” Marisa hovers as Alice carefully loads Reimu onto the back of the Hakkero. “Don’t die while I’m away. Alice still owes me sake!”

“Suika is eager to test her strength against the cretins!”

As the hakkero vanishes into the evening sky, you ready your blade. You hear the resonance acutely: measured Alice to your left, cheery Suika to your left.

You...

[ ]...synch with Suika.
[ ]...synch with Alice.
[ ]...run up and slash them with your slashy-stick!
>> No. 34733
[X]...run up and slash them with your slashy-stick!

Hack 'n' slash!! We now have an effective weapon without synching with others and fucking up their powers. Suika's a goddamn oni and Alice has a legion of dolls, let alone the fact that she's a decent magician on her own. Probably not a good idea to screw up their abilities now.

YOU GOT: METAL BLADE
>> No. 34734
>but Sunny-milk said you’re a court lady from the Shogun’s house who has a holy sword.
Well, we know Moonbitch A is here, at least.

[+]...run up and slash them with your slashy-stick!
The more power we get from the synch, the more it hurts? In that case, synchronizing with Suika would be suicide. Alice, maybe not so, but we can't afford to screw up her powers now.

>Ze
Please don't do that. "ze" and the like are sentence-enders, placed for emphasis, not real words or sentences of their own. Using it like you're having Marisa do sounds silly.

>As the hakkero vanishes into the evening sky
If you meant Marisa's broom, that's something different entirely from her mini-hakkero.
The mini-hakkero is too small to hold a human's weight, and it doesn't fly, so... yeah.
>> No. 34735
[x]...run up and slash them with your slashy-stick!
Hack and slash. Oh yes. Though I wouldn't mind a shotgun.
>> No. 34736
[ ]...run up and slash them with your slashy-stick!
>> No. 34737
[x]...synch with Alice.
Suika can kill 'em all in a heartbeat and I'm curious about the sync effect with Alice and with our new weapon
>> No. 34738
[x]...run up and slash them with your slashy-stick!

I don't think Syncing hurts, just that he needs a weapon to fliter out the various 'noise'. But it does badly drain the other person, not something we want in such a big battle.

And we have ourselves a legendary sword instead of a mere knife.
>> No. 34739
>>34738

About that syncing not hurting...

See >>34641.

>The next second seems to take hours. Cirno was nothing compared to this sync: all at once, your body is filled with a crazed, greedy pulsing. It threatens to shatter your bones, rend you limb from limb.

...and that was just Marisa.
>> No. 34740
>>34739
I stand corrected, still it's not a good idea to go about doing any syncing unless it's absolutely necessary just due to the toll on both people. There's the risk of also how the power synced might end up overflowing due to being channeled through the Kunsanagi.
>> No. 34742
[X] Sync with Suika.
I really REALLY want to see her gun when this happens and I think it would be pretty funny.
>> No. 34743
>>34734
>Hakkero

Herp derpity derp derp derp. More evidence that editing at 3:00 AM is a bad idea.
>> No. 34745
>>34742
That's called a bad tactical decision. The last thing we need is able fighters being rendered dead weight. It's this careless attitude that caused certain stories to trainwreck.
>> No. 34747
[x] ...run up and slash them with your slashy-stick!

I think he's using ze this way on purpose. It goes back and forth between amusing and infuriating, for me.
>> No. 34754
>>34745
I guess I got a little over excited there. You are absolutely right that draining Suika's power would be a bad thing. I'm also fairly new to CYOA's and this site, so sorry.
>> No. 34755
>>34742
[X] ...run up and slash them with your slashy-stick!
If it's allowed I would like to change my vote to this now that i've thought it through more. Thank you anonymous for enlightening me.
>> No. 34762
File 126802545397.jpg - (397.61KB , 660x768 , baron_sketch.jpg ) [iqdb]
34762
“Three.”

The demons close in on all sides, growling.

“Two.”

Suika is chomping at the bit, ready to roll.

“One.”

Alice steadies her trembling hands.

“LET’S JAM!”

You rip kusanagi from its sheath and charge straight in. Suika rips off as Alice’s dolls descend like a pack of vultures. The baron up ahead raises its arm, sickly green light shining from its palm.

You dodge the first blast, as it blazes past your ear. You hold kusanagi low.

Deftly you roll between the baron’s legs, the second pulse flying wide. As it turns to face you, you slash its tendons

The beast crashes to the ground, roaring in agony. You dodge forward and slash its throat before it lands.

Acidic green blood hisses on the frozen ground. You flick kusanagi clean and look to the next target.

A hellish screech taints the air. You whip around: a revenant’s about.

A distant boom, and you throw yourself behind a tree. Yeah, it’s out there, screaming, his bony feet pounding the ground. You count down the seconds. Three... two... one...

You throw yourself from behind cover seconds before the rocket smashes into the tree. The revenant screeches up ahead, its empty sockets following at you. You leap up and rush it, weaving between imps.

The revenant raises its fist in a backhand blow. You whip your sword around, separating the arm at the elbow. The monster comes in with the other arm, but your sword beats him there. The blade drives through the weak vertebrae of the neck, and the revenant falls, its head sailing away.

You turn, and three more close in on you. Time for some crowd control.

“Hurry it up, witch,” you mutter, as you flee towards Suika.

The oni has lifted a baron from the ground in a mighty bear hug. The creature roars, struggling, as Suika spins it upside down, and then slams it to the ground.

“Did you just suplex a fucking baron?!” you demand, rushing past her.

“*hic* Ayup! Wanna try?”

The roar of rockets fills your ears as three revenants fire at once. You rip off, hoping the missiles will chase you.

Up ahead, a baron struggles with dolls that dance about it, nicking at it with long, thin blades. You sprint behind the hellion, leading the three missiles straight into its flank. Enraged, the baron turns and hurls a bolt at one of the incoming revenants. It explodes instantly, armor and bones hurled away from its body.

Its comrades immediately turn on the baron and begin fighting in earnest. You charge on, weaving through the enemy ranks. Fire and plasma tear around you -- crashing into trees, rocks, and other demons. It’s a matter of seconds before the hellions turn on one another, infuriated by perceived attacks.

As the battlefield descends into chaotic infighting, you search for your comrades. Suika cuts a bloody swathe across the battlefield, but Alice is nowhere to be seen. As you weave between warring imps, a human scream rises above the battle-din. You rush towards it, the sense of death surrounding you.

You plunge into a clearing to find Alice, blood running down her forehead as livid burns scar her arms. Imps and hell knights close in, shattered dolls cracking under their feet. Alice mutters under her breath, and a burst of magic erupts around her; you throw yourself to the ground.

As the lights clear, you lunge towards Alice as demons climb the corpses of their dead comrades. You drag her away, through the demons hordes, the sound of their shrieking filling your ears. Her remaining dolls rush ahead, clearing the path.

“Use it,” she mutters.

You fear her resonance loud and clear, a predictable, quavering pattern.

“Use the power. The one Cirno told me about.”

You pull yourselves between a tree.

“I understand that it may damage my magic. Alice told me as much. However, I am not concerned.”

The warped report of plasma rifles cut through the tree cover. You duck under it, hugging Alice close. The stink of burnt wood assails you. The mechanical clank of the arachnotrons hammers from across the trees. They fire sporadically, indifferent to the imps and hell knights they slaughter.

“But...” her voice begins to choke. “Please, I don’t want to die. I am a coward... above else, I do not want to die. Please. Take my magic, if that is what you need to defeat them. I don’t want to die. I don’t want to die!”

The arachnotrons begin sweeping the tree line, wasting everything around you. You camp out beneath a hollow with Alice pulled tight. Kusanagi runs read with demon blood. Suika rampages distantly, out of the reach of your voice.

Alice’s synchronization hammers in your ears, clumsily seducing you.

Deadly plasma flies over your head.

You...

[ ]... synch. It’s the only way.
[ ]... resist. I won’t maim her abilities.
>> No. 34763
[X]... synch. It’s the only way.

>“Did you just suplex a fucking baron?!”
I'd be impressed, except Sabin suplexed a train.

>Alice told me as much.
Shouldn't that be Marisa?
>> No. 34767
[x]... synch. It’s the only way.

She's asking us...and I hope this 'downside' isn't permament.
>> No. 34768
>>34763
Yep that's Marisa alright.

[x]... synch. It’s the only way.
With a sword, we can't really defend ourselves and her and calling out for Tewi help would simply take too much time.
>> No. 34769
[X]... synch. It’s the only way.

>>34767
Even if it is, weak and helpless Alice? I'm in.
Although we should then really build our defensive support so she lives longer than only a few seconds after that.
>> No. 34770
>>34767>>34768>>34769
I completely agree with all of you, except why tewi. I don't think I get it, if someone could please enlighten me again like before I would be most grateful. also...

[x] ...synch. It's the only way.
>> No. 34771
>>34770
MiG reference.
>> No. 34772
[X]... synch. It’s the only way.


Something tells me Syncing in Alice's weak state will kill her...
>> No. 34773
File 126809454468.jpg - (190.35KB , 1000x800 , konachan-com-48918-animal_ears-bunnygirl-inaba_tew.jpg ) [iqdb]
34773
>>34771
Thank you! And a pic for helping!
>> No. 34774
[x] ...synch from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
>> No. 34775
>>34772
I don't think she's weak, just a bit battered and scared. Her dolls wouldn't be able to move if she was badly weakened.
>> No. 34778
[X]... synch. It’s the only way.

>>34769

As much as a vulnerable Alice sounds rather appealing...this isn't the time.

Though I can't help but wonder what we'll get if we synch up with Alice. With the Kusanagi on us, who knows? I just hope it involves lots and lots of dakka. Being defensive will keep their firepower off of us, but it won't get rid of the rest of the demons.

Where's a Proton Cannon when you need it?
>> No. 34779
>>34778
I'm thinking bits/funnels. All range attack action.
>> No. 34797
[+] ...synch. It’s the only way.

Y'know, now that I think about it, synching with Suika probably acts as a Berserker Pack.
>> No. 34799
>>34797
But I doubt he would be just a berserker packing Man and a half, more like 2 men or 2 and a half men. But the recoil effect afterwards would be BAD.
>> No. 34821
File 126837376575.jpg - (57.70KB , 377x511 , Anime_Doom_3_fanart_by_Black_wing_RU.jpg ) [iqdb]
34821
You give in.

Alice’s resonation fills you, cold yet gentle, and oddly fleeting. Kusanagi glows brilliantly in your hand as a blinding flash consumes you.

When the light clears, you realize you’re sitting in a chair. Alice rests on your lap, semiconscious.

Dear god.

OST: Red Moon -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSpWvLzc-pY

You’re sitting in a navy-blue battle-mech with Alice: around eight feet tall, sporting cannons, vulcan cannons, and missiles. An elegant creature, designed with sleek curves, it has suitably femine touches: a metal skirt that hugs the ground, a pink bow resting on the head, and a lacy pattern painted around the sides. The world is spread out for you around the cockpit, giving you a nice 360 degrees of vision.

The arachnotrons hesitate, their enormous, ponderous brains computing a new course of action.

You yank at the controls. The machine roars as rockets erupt from its back, flying high before changing direction and hurtling towards the arachnotrons. They raise their guns high, firing plasma at the barrage.

You yank at the levers again, and the vulcans open up. The arachnotrons take down the missiles just in time to get shredded by a wall of lead, tearing apart their metal bodies and spraying their fresh red blood across the snow.

But you can’t move, dammit!

You glance around: barons and hell knights close in on all sides.

“Alice,” you growl, “we need to move. NOW!”

She drifts out of her daze. “Eh...?”

“MOVE US!”

The machine lurches haphazardly forward.

“Bring us around!”

“Ah...”

The mecha stumbles haphazardly about. You whip the vulcans into a spin and spray the incoming horde with fire, shredding them. Instantly, retaliation hits: plasma bolts scorch the sides of the mech. You feel it acutely, stinging your side.

Alice feels it too, moaning softly.

“Come on, keep it together.”

The mecha begins to strafe the incoming force, Alice guiding the machine awkwardly between the trees as you rain fire on your enemies. The roar of the vulcans thrums through the metal walls, white noise as your ears remain pricked for the noise of more enemies. Hundreds of superheated shells spill through the air on either side, hissing as they hit the snow.

You pull a lever, and another wave of missiles burst into the air, tracking the demon heat of ever monster nearby.

The whole machine shakes as Alice blunders into a tree, tearing it down and sending the mech crashing into the ground. The screen around you becomes a wall of snow. “Alice, get us up!”

“I’m trying...” she whimpers.

You look down. She trembles, the burn on her arm painful to see. You did not quite realize how bad the injury was. Carefully, you put your arms on her shoulders, avoiding it. “Do it. You can, damn you, you can!”

The mech rights itself, just as a fresh wave of plasma bolts erupt from beneath cover. You whip a turret around and fire back. The plasma scars the armor, sending jolts of pain through your -- and Alice’s -- body. She quivers with fear and terror.

You hate this.

The mecha crashes through the woods, guns blazing.

There’s no end to them!

Plasma and fire pour down on you, and for every three that miss one connects. A bolt rips off one of your cannons, sending a wave of pain down your spine. Alice shakes, moaning softly.

Alice should not have to suffer like this. Not on your account.

You fire every weapon at your disposal, spilling missiles and bullets into the air. Tracer rounds light up the night, casting the demons’ faces with gloomy blue light.

The familiar rush of Arachnotrons booting up fills your ears.

You twist in the cockpit around and see them: they’re closing in on all sides. You crack a grin.

“Alice, give us some speed!”

You crash through the Arachnotron ranks, sweeping several aside in your blind charge. They pursue, firing bursts of plasma through the trees. As you weave, taking the occasional hit here and there, Alice suddenly gasps with pain.

The synch quavers in your head. A wave of nausea hits you: the resonation starts to distort, twisting inside of your chest. It presses outwards, threatening to crush your organs out and smash your bones to escape. Growling, you force it into line even as the mech weaves through the trees. You fire in all directions, grabbing the attention of every demon you can. A cacophony of shrieks shakes your ears, rattling all of your hard-earned instincts.

“Come on, ya bastards, I got a present for ya...”

As the demons close in, the hell knights and barons catch sight of the monsters that murdered their kin. They lose interest in you, lumbering towards the oblivious arachnotrons.

The hell knights open up on the arachnotrons, bolts of green fire cutting through the air. The arachnotrons retaliate, concentrating their fire. They hit other demons in their random barrage, growing the party.

As every monster and hellion around descends to get in on the infighting, you feel another tremor, then a harsh quake. The structure of the mech shakes, and microfissures trace their way along the cockpit walls.

Agony wracks your stomach. You grind your teeth, glancing around as hundreds of demons close in. The resonation threatens to break up, but you hold it in. You can’t help but think this mech is held together with duct tape and a prayer.

“It... it hurts...” gasps Alice.

“I know!”

As every demon around falls down around you, you slam every button you can reach.

What follows is a carnival of destruction.

Missiles, bullets, and cannon rounds crash down around the infighting demons. Alice screams, blood streaming down her forehead. You gasp from the barrage of pain, the wave totally tuning you the slaughter around you.

The world glows brilliantly.

All at once, you’re sitting in the snow.

Kusanagi lies in the snow, sheathed. Coughing wracks your system as you expel blood.

Alice’s head lies on your lap, a gash running along her forehead. Blood runs into her eyes, squeezed shut. The burns look worse than ever before.

Is this what you do?

You take their power, and you maim them?

You growl, forcing yourself to your trembling legs. You grasp Kusanagi by the hilt.

Fuck this. Fuck it!

Everything is dead. There is nothing left to fight. You defeated an army of hell... and yet, now Alice...

You stick Kusanagi in your sash and pick up the fragile mage. You can feel her heartbeat, clearly, her chest pressed to your own. She feels like nothing in your arms.

The nearest cover is the hollow of a tree. You carry her there, fighting every instinct to lie down and die.

The sense of death is all around you. Jackals prowl at the edge of your vision. Blood and foam drip from their lips, leaving long trails in the snow.

Finally, you settle into the hollow. You have learned to distinguish hallucinations from real threats.

Crouched in the dark of the hollow, the wind begins to pick up outside. You share your coat with Alice, trying to keep her warm. Everyone you knew at Phobos died. No one else. You will not permit demons to take another human life...

...but it wasn’t really them who killed her, was it...

...but then again, she isn’t dead. You can feel her heart beating. You plant Kusanagi at the entrance of the hollow, standing proudly. A charm, of sorts.

You rock back and forth. Maybe you’re talking to yourself, you can’t tell.

Well, this is it, old boy. You finally...

Finally...

Reached the...

End of the line...

########################################################################

OST: Jade Spawn -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bceBr4QS8QE

There’s a shuffling noise in front of the hollow. You are just conscious enough to notice it. As you come to, you can just see... Christmas lights? Glowing brightly in the blizzard. You still clutch Alice to your side, and her heart beats weakly...

...but you fade again.
########################################################################

When you come to, you hear distant voices. Shouting.

Then you realize, you’re not in the hollow.

And you’re moving. Dragging through the snow. A vise-like grip holds your leg. The rest of you drags through the snow.

Your hand clutches something smooth, wooden: Kusanagi, in her scabbard. You must have grabbed it entirely on instinct... could you have?

You try to get your bearings, at least find out what’s dragging you. It’s... Christmas lights...?

The dragging stops. Demons growl up ahead.

“...heh...” A girlish voice laughs. “Worms.”

A jet of brilliant light erupts ahead of you. The Christmas lights gain some definition: they’re hanging from a pair of iron bars... hammered to a girl’s back!

As your senses come back, so does your sense of death. Your nerves start to scream at the danger.

You force yourself upright. You can hear voices calling in the distance. Up ahead, Christmas-lights hurls fire, cooking demons alive and burning sections of forest.

You...

...[ ] take cover nearby. This girl could be a friend, even though she has frickin’ Christmas lights hammered into her back.
...[ ] run for the voices. This girl is pure death.

------------------------------------------------

Apologies for the delay. I came down with a stomach virus and couldn't work on this.
>> No. 34824
...[ ] take cover nearby. This girl could be a friend, even though she has frickin’ Christmas lights hammered into her back.

Can't help but hear this option in Dr. Evil's voice.
>> No. 34826
...[X] take cover nearby. This girl could be a friend, even though she has frickin’ Christmas lights hammered into her back.
>> No. 34827
...[X] take cover nearby. This girl could be a friend, even though she has frickin’ Christmas lights hammered into her back.

Wait, if we're holding the Kusanagi, where's Alice?
>> No. 34828
[x] ...take cover nearby. This girl could be a friend, even though she has frickin’ Christmas lights hammered into her back.
>> No. 34832
File 126840169360.jpg - (661.55KB , 1024x768 , 081111042430251898.jpg ) [iqdb]
34832
...[x] take cover nearby. This girl could be a friend, even though she has frickin’ Christmas lights hammered into her back.

This is going to be fucking awesome .
>> No. 34833
...[X] take cover nearby. This girl could be a friend, even though she has frickin’ Christmas lights hammered into her back.

I hope we can get back to Alice soon.
>> No. 34843
...[x] take cover nearby. This girl could be a friend, even though she has frickin’ Christmas lights hammered into her back.
>> No. 34849
...[x] take cover nearby. This girl could be a friend, even though she has frickin’ Christmas lights hammered into her back.

Go Flan!

Though it's fucked up she didn't drag Alice out too. What the hell, Flan?

Alice better not be dead already.
>> No. 34850
>>34849
Oh crap, I didn't even think about that. Alice had better not be dead.
>> No. 34899
I told you, I told you!

...[X] take cover nearby. This girl could be a friend, even though she has frickin’ Christmas lights hammered into her frickin' back.
>> No. 34905
[+] ...take cover nearby. This girl could be a friend, even though she has frickin’ Christmas lights hammered into her back.

If Alice is dead, there will be a reckoning.
>> No. 34906
I get the feeling that Marisa reached the SDM okay and that the others are interested in meeting with us. Too bad by having Flan do it, certain things are overlooked.
>> No. 35113
File 126904768129.jpg - (33.73KB , 600x800 , whichwaytomounterebus.jpg ) [iqdb]
35113
As Christmas Girl wails on the demons, you swipe Kusanagi and run for the nearest cover, a snowdrift. Blizzard winds whip your face, further slowing your sluggish thoughts. The girl’s red dress twists and spins in the wind as you watch from afar. The moon hangs in the sky above.

The voices in the distance get a bit louder.

“Stranger! Stranger!”

But the girl with the Christmas Lights holds your interest. You cannot, physically, look away. You need to understand where she is...

...Alice...

You distantly remember her. Fear grips you; did she get left behind?

Did she freeze to death?

You scowl, fingering Kusanagi’s grip. If she did, you would set it right...

As the last pink-skinned demon grunts its last, red-dress turns around.


BGM: Quake -- The Life Beneath It All http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmHl4P2Gg8c


“Toy?” she calls, her voice distant in the wind. “I can smell you~”

Instinctively, you start to retreat into the trees. But she follows you nonetheless, hovering a foot or so off the ground. She conducts a wide sweep, weaving between trees to find you. You pull back between a tree, hand resting on Kusanagi’s grip.

You peer out. She’s vanished. Fear grips you as you scan the trees and snowdrifts. There is not a hint of red; the only color besides white snow and brown bark are the charred remains of the demons.

You set out, moving towards the voices as well as you can. But it is hard to pin down their location in the wasteland; the snow muffles their voices. Kusanagi grips in your hand.

Marisa’s voice is just audible. “Hey! Stranger!”

As you your way towards it, a sense of death begins to encroach on you. A soft murmur at first, crescendoing by inches... by the end, every nerve in your body threatens to snap. Your knuckles turn white on Kusanagi’s hilt.

Red fills your vision.

You move to rip Kusanagi out of its sheath, but Red Dress beats you to it. Her hand grips like a vice even as you try to free the blade; it’s trapped, trapped by her grip on your hand. Her mouth flashes a grin, revealing a row of vampiric fangs.

You’re no stranger to fanged humanoids.

Lunging forward you headbutt Red Dress. She screams hellishly, lashing out blindly. Her kick hits like a sledgehammer. You skid back across the snow as Kusangi rips out of your hands, spinning off into the underbrush.

All the same, you rise again. Flandre watches, eyes filled with hatred as she stares you down. Deprived of Kusanagi, the resonation fills your ears. She deafens: a constant hammering with no beat, rhythm or pattern. Your head pains you.

“Worm...” she mutters, raising her arms. “WORM!”

You roll around jets of fire and curling fireballs, even as some of them graze you, scorching your skin.

All at once, the barrage ends. “But I mustn’t break my toys!” Flandre announces eagerly, rushing up to you. Her arms seize around your leg and upturn you, dropping you flat on your ass. Once again you are dragged along.

This time no Kusanagi.

Your attempts to grab hold of something fail; she is much stronger than you. Some marine you are.

woosh

Several knives embed themselves in the tree. Red Dress freezes, looking into the white distance with pure hatred.

“Mistress Flandre, I must ask you halt.”

The pressure on your leg releases, and blood starts to return to your foot.

“SAKUYA!” snarls Flandre.

A maid emerges from the whiteness, holding kunai between her fingers.

“Mistress Remilia is very concerned about your wellbeing.”

“I won’t be sent down again! NEVER NEVER NEVER!” Flandre stomps her foot impetuously. “Now that I’ve found all these friends, she can’t make me!”

“Flandre, you are in danger. I do not know how you have survived this long, but you must know the outside is not conducive to your wellbeing--”

“And now I found this brand new toy. It’s not FAIR!”

You scrabble away as Flandre hurls jets of fire at Sakuya. The maid handily evades and hurls knives back.

“Not so fast!”

The witch swoops in from above, blasting Flandre. The vampire shrieks with anger as more of your rescuers start to close in, all hurling magic. You cover your head, the best thing you can do. Resonantion clashes and bursts in your head as the girls clash, worsening your headache.

“ARGH! You have me this time! Don’t try and follow, or my friends will tear you APART!”

Flandre leaps up and scarpers into the woods. Sakuya moves to follow, only to be cut off by a blast of Mancubus fire. It came from Flandre’s direction, but she’s long gone.

“How bothersome.” Sakuya watches.

A wave of nausea hits you. As Flandre’s resonation fades away, all of your injuries pain you acutely. Burns, gashes, frostbite, hypothermia: they all bite like dozens snakes sinking in their teeth. You collapse.

“Yo! You OK?” asks Marissa, touching you.

The absence of Flandre hurts like hell. You start gasping for breath.

“Do I fucking look OK?” you snarl.

Others start to crowd around you, but you cannot make out their faces. Your vision is going dark at the edges.

“Shiiiiiiiiiiit!” moans Marisa, “Get him in, ASAP!”

Your world goes dark.

########################################################################

It’s a painful world, your dreams,
More painful than the outside?
It’s a haze of demons, your constant companions.
It hurts like hell, but you keep on.
One by one, your comrades died.
You took a vow: no more would die on your account.

What do you call this, then?
Lying in bed? Covered in bandages?
How weak you’ve become. You defeated...

Did you defeat anything at all?

You’ve left no one alive in your wake.
All their blood joined the cold Martian soil.
But you just keep living. It disgusts me.

########################################################################

Disturbing as your dreams are, you awaken in a bed that shows no signs of tossing and turning. Your whole body itches and burns while your muscles ache.

You rise slowly, easing yourself upright. You’re in a luxurious four-poster bed, in a sumptuously decorated room. It looks very nineteenth century, with elegant, flowing gold and ornate wallpaper. A change of clothes lies on the drawer.

There’s a knock at the door. “Enter,” you mutter.

It creaks open. The first thing to peek inside is the tip of a witch’s hat.

“You up?” Marisa

“Take a guess, Sherlock.”

“Eh? Who’s Sherlock?”

Your laugh is immediately cut off by the pain in your chest. “Forget it.”

Marisa slips in, carrying Kusanagi and a plate of toast. Hunger immediately gnaws at your stomach.

“What happened?” you ask. “What’s the situation?”

“Hey, hey, cool it.” Marisa puts Kusanagi on the fireplace mantle. “I’ll get there. How are you doing?”

You look down at the bandages. “Better than I should.”

“Can say that again. When Patchy looked at you she said you should be dead.”

“Sometimes I wish I were dead,” you say, stretching out.

“It’s been three days,” Marisa says, tranquilly.

You nearly reopen your wounds. “Three?!”

“Before you start up with the questions, I’ll just say there hasn’t been much excitement. Business as usual. Demons come, Meiling beats the snot out of them, ze. But they’re definitely getting tougher. Remilia is trying to work out what to do...”

Too many names you don’t know. “Reimu?” You start attacking the toast.

Marisa’s face goes dark. “Reimu is still asleep. Patchy says she was really badly hurt -- the demonic taint got into her. Now she’ll have trouble channeling divine power until she purifies herself. But we can’t do that until she wakes up...”

Her eyes go unfocused.

“Alice?”

“She’s fine, but it was close. We found her only a couple of minutes after you were dragged away. If it had been longer, she’d have frozen to death.”

“Look, enough of this. We need to get going.”

“Hey, you’re still hurt.”

“Never stopped me before.” You stand up, stretching. “Now, I’m gonna change. I recommend you get out unless you want to get an eyeful.”

Marisa turns scarlet and rushes out the room. You get dressed, first pulling off the bandages. For the first time in a long while, you check your own body, the hardened muscles and livid scars. You’re practically a patchwork at this point: livid cuts and burn marks crisscross your back. But your body has compensated: your muscles have strengthened while your tolerance for pain has risen impossibly high. Every bone in your body has been broken at some point or another, but they’ve all set stronger than before.

You’re a space marine, all right.

You pull on the change of clothes. A three-piece suit, with a black duster. Checking yourself in the mirror, you decide it’s extremely bitchin’.

When you’re finished, you feel well enough. Better than you ought to, anyway.

There’s a soft tapping at your window. You glance at it sidelong. Something is throwing snowballs at the window.

Thud.

Another connects. You scowl, walking over and throwing the door open.

A snowball flies up and catches you square on the chin.

You wipe it away. “What do you want, Cirno?”

The blue fairy flits to the window, ice crystal wings beating.

“Hah! Cirno is even stronger than the mighty Stranger, who defeated one thousand demons with a butter knife! With my help, of course.”

“We both know you made that second part up.”

“Cirno did too help!” she rages. “If you hadn’t had me, you would have been beaten up by those nasty imps! Nice suit.”

“I’ve been killing imps for years.” You reach out and flick her on the nose. “I think that little peashooter you gave me was worse than the knife.”

“Let’s have a duel! Settle this honorably--”

“Cirno, stop bothering the stranger at once!” A voice calls from the lower level.

“Oshit China!” gasps Cirno, as she flees. A girl in a green dress climbs through the snow on foot. Standing in the courtyard below, ‘China’ shouts at the fairy as the blue girl vanishes into the sky.

“Thanks,” you say.

“No problem.” She yawns, covering her mouth. “I’m a little surprised to see you up.”

“I’m surprised to see me up. Who are you?”

“Meiling. I guard the door to the Mansion. I admit... my job’s got a bit more interesting since they showed up.”

Awkward silence.

She frowns. “So... are the things they say about you true?”

“What? That I’m eight feet tall and have a sword the size of a house?”

“Of course not! Is it true that you’re a demon-slayer?”

“Yep.” You can’t think of any better word to describe your particular line of employment.

“Hmm.” She frowned. “Can you visit me a bit later? I need to get back to work, but I’d like to talk to you some more.”

“Sure.” You shut the window and head for the door.

As you reach the ornately-patterned, you get a pleasant tune in your ear -- something even-tempered and predictable. Like a classical concerto. As you reach for the door, it swings open and smashes you in the nose.

It just isn’t your day, is it?

“Oh dear, oh dear, my apologies!” As you check your nose for breaks, a maid runs in, in full French maid gear. “Are you well?”

“Yeah,” you say. First a snowball and now a door. What’s next, a baseball?

The maid helps you upright. “When Marisa told me you had woken up, I had not realized that you had become so active. You should really be in bed...” You sweep out into the hallway.

“Had worse.” There’s a small tray with food on it: a few pieces of toast, some ham. Hunger hits you like a freight-train; you haven’t had anything substantial to eat in quite some time. You swipe a couple pieces of toast. As much as you’d like to feast, you need to talk to someone important. “I appreciate your concern and all, but we do not have time to kill. Who’s in charge?”

Sakuya frowned. “I must insist.”

“It’s about the demons.”

There was a long pause. You munch your toast. “I see. I will conduct you to Lady Patchouli’s library.”

########################################################################

The Voile was built to levels of mystic excess you had barely conceived of before. As you floated between the endless shelving, you swallow your surprise and focus on the matter at hand. Whoever this Patchouli might be, you have heard the name a few times and figure she’s important.

When the platform drops you and Sakuya off, you’re in a miniature office/kitchenette built directly into the library itself. A young woman sits among the debris of various books, reading from one while sipping some tea.

“Lady Patchouli. I bring the stranger.”

“He is awake?”

You watch her, trying to get some hold on her personality. Exceedingly pale and refined, she strikes you as someone eminently important. The “press switches/open doors/grab items that seem important” school of thought has never failed you before.

“Ah, the esteemed stranger,” said Patchouli. “You really ought to be in bed.”

“I have heard intelligence to that effect.”

“How dry.” Patchouli closes the book; you notice a pentacle on the cover. “Very well. Sakuya, you may leave.”

Sakuya bowed and stepped away.

“Well then. We have much to discuss.”

“Mmm.”

“To begin with, I’d like to know who you are. Stranger is an unfitting name.”

“No time -- do you know what’s happening outside?”

“It is a little difficult to form a coherent picture of the outside world. We’re short-staffed here, and I cannot justify sending out fairies as expendable scouts.”

“We need to start pushing them back. Or they’ll...” You draw a deep breath. “They’re going to start bringing their world with them. They’ll turn this place into Hell.”

Patchouli turned this over in her head for a long while, eventually opening her grimoire again. “I see. Then this document is correct -- my worst fears are coming to pass. I trust you know how to deal with them?”

“There’s only one way to dispose of hellions. Blow up their faces.” Hey, it’s always worked for you.

“You will find Gensokyo has no shortage of visage-destroying capacity. I intend to explore this matter further with Lady Remilia, but until then I would like to further discuss the matter of you.”

You figured as much. “Fair enough.”

“I treated you. I examined your wounds. You recovered from injuries that would be fatal to any other mortal. You had burns, lacerations, and bruises all over your body. You suffered from acute hypothermia and malnutrition. And yet, right now, you’re not even in a wheelchair when you should be in the coffin. I would like to know why.”

Patchouli’s resonation is very soothing, like Barber’s Adagio for Strings. You listen to it as you come up with a response.

“I can’t tell you. I fight for a living -- as long as my body can still move, I force it to move. I keep running, I keep fighting. It’s as natural to me as breathing.” You shrug. “For what it’s worth, I feel stronger when I’m around you lot.”

She throws you a piercing glance. “What lot would that be?”

“You know. Girls who throw magic around.”

“Mages?” She seems distracted as she sips some tea. “That is curious. Although, I must say, you seem to be taking this is perfect stride. Most outsiders are alarmed at the prospect of magic.”

“I’ve spent god knows how long fighting demons. I’ve traveled through interdimensional vortexes that dropped me into demonic parallel dimensions. I kill more demons by 9 AM than most people do all day. I’ve wielded weapons that, from what I understand, are supposed to be scientifically impossible in our universe.”

You look down on her. Sitting down, she is less than half her height.

“Straight up, nothing surprises me. Nothing.”

“I see.” The girl gets up. You can’t help but think that maybe she isn’t naturally pale -- she’s sick. “I admit, I’m pleasantly surprised. Outsiders are usually very difficult to acclimate with on the rare occasions they blunder into Gensokyo.”

“Great. Now, I need to explain something. They are bringing their dimension with them. They’re turning Gensokyo into Hell. We don’t have time to waste--”

“Yes, I understand the situation.” Patchouli picks up her grimoire and shows it to you. “This is not the first time this particular Hell has been encountered. We have very little time to drive them back.”

“Awesome. Now set me loose.”

“In your condition?” She sipped her tea. “I think not. Rather, I think we should take advantage of your talents effectively.”

Hmph. Synchronizing.

“Do you have the faintest idea what you are?”

“Nope.”

“I see.” Patchouli rose and began examining her shelves. “I suspected as much. You are a sort of amplifier; lacking any magical talents, your only ability is to absorb the magic of others and condense it, strengthen it, until it becomes something singular. A weapon, in your case.”

Seems true enough.

“There have been very few Synchronizers throughout history. I’d say you’re only the ninth one I’ve ever heard reference to. One was a court lady in the Chinese Empire about fifteen hundred years ago. Thanks to her, a dynasty was destroyed and another was raised. Another appeared during Japan’s Meiji Revolution. He made sure that the Shogunate fell. You are in good company, stranger.”

“Nice. So when do we get this party started?”

“Party, stranger?”

“I’m going to deal with these demons the same way I always do. Point and shoot. They’re delicate things, all in all.” You lean against a column. “Shred them

“How simplistic.” She laughed. “Then again, you’ll find no shortage of destructive power in Gensokyo. However, I propose a better solution.”

“Yeah?”

“If we were to develop your talents carefully, you could synchronize without harming your partner. Master that, and you can become a powerful ally. If not... well... we simply could not risk incapacitating able fighters.”

“So what? You’ll bench me?”

“You’re welcome to do as you please. However, we could not allow you to synchronize with anyone.”

“And who might ‘we’ be?” you ask.

“Lady Remilia, myself, those who answer to us. Quite a force, all told.”

“Hmph. Fine.” You see no disadvantage to this.

“I must say, you are rather coarse.”

“Excuuuuuuuuuse me, m’lady,” you reply, with a sweeping bow. “Doom is not a dialogue-heavy game -- I don’t get much time to practice my manners. For example, I may have some difficulty recalling the difference between the salad fork and the cheese fork. Indeed, when you spend long enough scavenging crates for army rations, you start to forget those distinctions.”

“Sarcasm was uncalled for. In any case, I’ll need to study syncrhonizers to find a way to properly teach you. For now--” Your stomach growls loudly. “--please get some food.”

“Danke,” you say, grinning. You can’t quite resist, “your magnamity is infinite, o greatness.”

“Enough!” But she smiles anyway. “But first... tell me your name.”

[ ] “Kohaku.”
[ ] “Hisui.”
[ ] “Nukem. Duke Nukem. Shake it, baby.”
[ ] “The Great Bungholio.”
[ ] “Caleb. I live... again...”
[ ] “I’m Megaman!”
[ ] “Lo Wang. I am the Shadow Warrior! You wanta some Wang?
[ ] “Dan Smith. You know, I hate holding back.”
[ ] “Back at base, they just called me Doom.”
[ ] “Jeblome. Heywood Jeblome.” [May or may not lead to porn]
>> No. 35115
[+] Herbert J. Doomguy.

...well, why not?
>> No. 35117
[X] "I abandoned my real name a long time ago. I've been fighting these demons so long, I probably couldn't tell you what my real name was if I tried. I guess you could just call me...Guts."

>[ ] “Jeblome. Heywood Jeblome.” [May or may not lead to porn]
>[ ] “Nukem. Duke Nukem. Shake it, baby.”
>[ ] “I’m Megaman!”
>[ ] “Back at base, they just called me Doom.” ]

Oh you...
>> No. 35118
[X] "I abandoned my real name a long time ago. I've been fighting these demons so long, I probably couldn't tell you what my real name was if I tried. I guess you could just call me...Guts."

Works for me since it's what the guy runs on. And I for one would welcome Patchouli's help in refining our power.
>> No. 35119
[x] Duke Wintermaul

We proceed to use the mansion's residents as building materials for a maze in the front garden. Then, we open the gates and face down 50 waves of brutal, demonic action.
>> No. 35120
[X] “Dan Smith. You know, I hate holding back.”

I am now expecting you to do a Killer7-style story next.
>> No. 35123
>"Alice?"

>“She’s fine, but it was close. We found her only a couple of minutes after you were dragged away. If it had been longer, she’d have frozen to death.”

Alice lives! This totally makes my day.

[X] "I abandoned my real name a long time ago. I've been fighting these demons so long, I probably couldn't tell you what my real name was if I tried. I guess you could just call me...Guts."

Seems more in character and it doesn't sound too weird off the tongue. Plus it fits our MC rather well.
>> No. 35126
[X] “Dan Smith. You know, I hate holding back.” Killer 7, awesome now its time for some collateral shot. At least that's what I think that's what he says when you use his special shot.
>> No. 35127
[] Guts
>> No. 35130
File 126905981746.jpg - (14.42KB , 422x233 , doom-guy-matthew-glave.jpg ) [iqdb]
35130
>I kill more demons by 9 AM than most people do all day.
How many demons do we kill all day? How many demons do you kill in a day?
[x] “Kohaku J. Doomguy.”
- [x] Yes, the last part is a nickname.
The name selection was bizarre, but good. The 4th wall break was quite fun.
All in all, a very nice update.
>> No. 35132
[x] “Kohaku J. Doomguy.”
- [x] Yes, the last part is a nickname.

I like this name, but think we should do the [x] Heywood Jablowme option first . I'm always up for some h-scenes with Patchy.
>> No. 35135
>>35132
I doubt that'd work considering how serious things are.

And if you want Patchy H so badly, go read GH's Patchy scene.

The last thing anyone wants is to give our lead a joke name for the sake of something so fleeting.
>> No. 35139
File 126906860356.jpg - (513.63KB , 750x1000 , Golden brown~ Never a sound~.jpg ) [iqdb]
35139
[x] “Kohaku.”

How could you possibly pick anything else?

...Are we male, female, or has that not been stated yet?

No, fuck it. Even if it's a guy, I'm going with this.
>> No. 35140
> This is not the first time this particular Hell has been encountered.

Not in these numbers you haven't.

> They are bringing their dimension with them. They’re turning Gensokyo into Hell.

fuck

[X] “Back at base, they just called me Doom.”

I'm going with the classic name for him.
>> No. 35141
[x] “Kohaku.”
>> No. 35142
>>35135

Eh you can never have enough Patchy.
>> No. 35144
[X] "Just call me Zero."

[X] GUTS

This man has them. Nothing else seems fitting.

>You’re a space marine, all right

Fuck yes! Now let's go another round with the moonbitches!
>> No. 35145
[X] “Kohaku J. Doomguy.”
- [X] Yes, the last part is a nickname.
>> No. 35150
[Q] “Kohaku J. Doomguy.”
- [Q] No, the last part is not a nickname.
>> No. 35151
[X] "I abandoned my real name a long time ago. I've been fighting these demons so long, I probably couldn't tell you what my real name was if I tried. I guess you could just call me...Guts."
>> No. 35152
[x] "I abandoned my real name a long time ago. I've been fighting these demons so long, I probably couldn't tell you what my real name was if I tried. I guess you could just call me...Guts."
>> No. 35153
[X] "I abandoned my real name a long time ago. I've been fighting these demons so long, I probably couldn't tell you what my real name was if I tried. I guess you could just call me...Guts."
>> No. 35154
>>35140

Changing my vote to...
[X] "I abandoned my real name a long time ago. I've been fighting these demons so long, I probably couldn't tell you what my real name was if I tried. I guess you could just call me...Guts."

>>35144

Moonbitches are probably dealing with the demons themselves as well. Gensokyo is probably not the only place under attack.
>> No. 35182
File 126924090895.jpg - (110.03KB , 350x468 , doom.jpg ) [iqdb]
35182
“I abandoned my real name a long time ago. I’ve been fighting these demons so long, I probably couldn’t tell you what my real name was if I tried. I guess you could just call me... Guts.”

You think that sounds awful badass.

“I see.” Patchouli rolls her eyes as she turns back to her books. “I’ll need to research synchronization further to really help you improve. Until then, spend the day resting -- this evening, you will have dinner with Lady Remilia. I would hate for you not to be at full capacity when you face her.”

“Hmph.”

Sakuya arrives to see you off.

########################################################################

Eager for a proper meal, you laid into the breakfast Sakuya procured for you. Eating like an animal, you tear into the food, ripping it apart with your teeth. Sakuya stares at you, eyebrows raised.

“Wut?” you ask through a mouthful of scrambled eggs.

“I have never seen anyone eat in such a manner. Except Marisa.”

“Oh.”

You resume your meal with gusto.

Sakuya glances away. “Would you at least use utensils?”

“No.”

“I have seen no one eat in such a way. Save Marisa.”

“Yeah, well, I’m no dainty court maid.”

“What are you, precisely?”

“I’m a soldier, right down to the marrow of my bones. Heh. Not even a soldier anymore: just a ruthless killer.”

Sakuya narrows her eyes.

“Soldiers have comrades. Soldiers have armies. Soldiers march in pretty little columns. My comrades are dead. My army is dead. And I never march like an automaton. I’ve been blastin’ and bangin’ so long, even my momma thinks--”

“Please refrain from rapping in the Mansion. You’ll upset the mistress.”

“My rhymes are far too phat for you squares.” You suck down the last of your breakfast. “So, I’m decommissioned until the bookworm decides to set me loose.” Yawn. Boring. You never needed this synching crap until you wandered into Gonsoky-whatsit. You should just find a shotgun and go wild, dammit! You wished you could somehow communicate your desire for proper guns…

“You have the run of the mansion until you are needed. Although Lady Patchouli would really prefer it if you rested until dinnertime…”

Then there’s no question -- you will do nothing of the sort.

You…

[ ]…take Meiling up on her offer and go visit her.
[ ]…check on Reimu and Marisa.
[ ]…go dig Cirno out of whatever hole she’s stumbled into this time.
[ ]…pester Sakuya some more.
[ ]…screw dinner, I want to talk to Lady Remilia now.
[ ]… “Hey Patchy! You find now anything about synching? How about now? Now? Now? Now?”
[ ]…think everyone here is boring. Let’s find Flandre!
[ ]…go rest after all. You need to think about all this.

-----------------------------------------------

Apologies for the short update, but this choice is important, and stretching something this trivial seems pointless.
>> No. 35184
[x]…take Meiling up on her offer and go visit her.

Just because talking with her might lighten our spirits some and thus make checking in on those two easier. Too bad there isn't a check in on Alice option.
>> No. 35187
[x]…take Meiling up on her offer and go visit her.
>> No. 35188
[x]…take Meiling up on her offer and go visit her.
[x]Then, if there's still time before dinner, check on Reimu and Marisa.
>> No. 35191
[X]…take Meiling up on her offer and go visit her.
-[X} If there's still time before dinner, check on Reimu and Marisa.

We do need to check up on Alice ASAP though once we get done with dinner with Remilia.


>“Please refrain from rapping in the Mansion. You’ll upset the mistress.”

>“My rhymes are far too phat for you squares.”

I lol'd more than I should have at that.
>> No. 35207
[X]...Ask if the mansion carries an armory. If not, ask if we can ask Patchouli to call some in.

I was about to go "LET'S GO AND ASK KOURIN", but... Y'know.

"Why are we
So blind to see
The ones we hurt
are you and me?"
>> No. 35208
[X]…take Meiling up on her offer and go visit her.
-[X} If there's still time before dinner, check on Reimu and Marisa.
He's kind of acting like a jerk. He needs his Alice.
>> No. 35209
>>35135
What is the name of the story?
>> No. 35210
>>35209
Gensokyo High in /th/. I think the H scene is in thread 13.
>> No. 35237
>>35210
Thanks man. It was great.
>> No. 35240
File 126939392412.png - (873.21KB , 750x1000 , 47b7324c93d8f870e13a950bf0bb62e73fa70a47.png ) [iqdb]
35240
>>35237
I'm here to please.
>> No. 35244
I can't believe you people went with Guts. What the hell is wrong with you all?

>“Please refrain from rapping in the Mansion. You’ll upset the mistress.”

>“My rhymes are far too phat for you squares.
This, at least, was amusing.
>> No. 35251
File 126940350061.png - (178.04KB , 297x234 , Rip_and_tear.png ) [iqdb]
35251
With that business out of the way, you stand at a crossroads. Subtle synchronizations thrum in the air around you -- it’s like they’re propping you up, filling you with restless energy.

It’s kind of nauseating -- and exciting. There’s no way your body could rest now. You need to explore. You need to talk to people. You need to get 100% secrets.

So you go outside, where the bracing winter air might slow you down a bit. To be honest, it’s not fun -- this much nervous energy running through you. It must be the food. The taste still stands out, striking, in your mouth. After all, it’s the first real food you’ve eaten in god knows how long. Sakuya wanders off to attend to more pressing matters. You head to the front gate, oblivious to the elegant décor.
Outside, the cool air does not have the bracing affect you expected. Rather, you feel more nervous. More on edge. You scan the horizon for demons almost unconsciously. You make your way to the guardhouse, situated outside the mansion on the cobbled road.

The woman named China is fast asleep, leaning on the front gate. Long red hair sweeps down across a traditional green dress. You clear your throat, loudly.

Nothing.

You draw a little closer. The sleepy guard does not react; rather, she starts snoring garishly. You snicker and creep closer, wondering if you can surprise her. Then again, you can’t help but feel a little concerned that she’s responsible for the security of the mansion…

Whoosh

A fist blows past your face; you sidestep just in time. A second too late and you would be on the floor.

“The hell?!”

You leap out of range, raising your own fists.
China laughs. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist.”

You relax your stance. “Testing me?”

“Yes.” A look of worry crosses her face. “Please don’t be mad. I merely wanted to see if you were as strong as they say you are.”

“You know, I’m not sure where all these stories come from, but I could get used to it…”

China giggles a bit. “I heard one that said you massive, at least eight feet tall and musclebound!”

“I heard I was a samurai woman from a high court in Japan.”

“I suppose the stories will only become stranger. For a while, some of the fairies were convinced that only you could kill them. No one else.” Meiling cracks a grin as she cracks her knuckles. “I set ‘em straight.”

“Sounds like fun,” you say.

“Eh?”

This seems like a great way to vent some energy. You raise your fists. “How about a sparring match?”

“Lady Patchouli told me not to exert you…”

“Oh, I perfectly understand if you want to back out--”

It was meant as a joke, but to Meiling it was a challenge.

Before long you were sparring furiously, you ducking and weaving around her sledgehammer-like blows. You can’t help but think you put yourself in mortal danger -- on the other hand, your fears about the security of the mansion have been all but allayed. China knows what she’s doing alright; it’s all you can do to dodge her blows, much less sneak one in.

After an hour or so, you both collapse in the snow, breath coming quickly, misting in the cold weather.

“You are quite something,” said Meiling.
Her resonation is like ancient drums, pounding out a decisive rhythm. You listen to it closely, cogitating on the subtleties of the beat. An image passes into your head; an image of Meiling’s exotic style of fighting. You listen deeper, the noise filling you. You can feel the nerves thrumming with intention, drawn from the brain; the leagues of blood vessels, streaming with energy.

“I feel strange.” China puts a hand to her stomach, frowning.

“Bad-strange or good-strange?”

“I guess neither.” China reflects on it a bit. “Are you causing it?

You shut your eyes, thinking on the matter. “I don’t know. Maybe.”

“Can you try to explain?”

You’re so into the song you can’t deny her.
“Whenever I’m around one of you, I hear sound. I can use the Synchronization when I hear that sound.” It’s honestly a relief to talk to someone like this. Patchouli rubs you the wrong way, Marisa would interrupt constantly … but Meiling just listens.

“You’re listening to my song now?”

“Yeah.”

“What does it sound like?”

“Drums.”

“Just drums?”

“They’re nice drums.”

“I didn’t think I was that simple…”

“Very nice drums.” Recovered somewhat, you climb to your feet. “Thank you.”

She frowns. “For what?”

You know what? Forget it, she’ll figure it out eventually.

#####################################################################################

You climbed the tower where Reimu, Marissa, and Alice are supposed to be. Your good mood proves short lived as images of the past play out in your mind. Reimu, sailing through the air after a direct Mancubus hit. Alice, quivering in the cold as she clung to you. Marisa, crying as she faced Rinnosuke.

Guilt is your traveling companion, as usual. A soldier has no business with survivor’s guilt, but the horrific sense that you’ve done something wrong plagues you nonetheless. With a cough you drive it from your mind and knock on the door.

“Who’s there?” Marisa asks.

“Guess who.”

“Only one person I know growls like that, ze.”
The door opens apparently on its own. Your guilt gnaws at you as you walk inside; Marisa sits between two beds; one holds Reimu, the other Alice. Reimu’s condition is serious. A vicious burn is visible through her bandages. Sweat pours down her forehead despite the cold weather, and her breath comes fast and shallow.
You can feel the demonic energy radiating off of her. Your face hardens into a scowl.

“Good afternoon,” whispers Alice.

“Yo.” You pull up a chair. A few fairies flit about, bringing in food and medical supplies.
Marisa carefully dabs Reimu’s forehead for sweat. “Guess you’re pretty tough. Up and about already, eh?”

Yeah, Marisa. Make me feel worse than I already do.

“Thank you,” whispers Alice.

“For what?” you ask.

“You protected me. I was… afraid.”

You’ve forgotten how to reply to accept gratitude, so you just nod.

“You shouldn’t feel bad,” Marisa finally says.
You walk over to Alice. Her injuries are bandaged; she’s well on the way to recovery.

“This ain’t your fault.”

“I know,” you say. “But all the same.”

“Hey, seriously. Don’t through an angst fit on me now.” Marisa turns and looks at you, smiling slightly. “Remember? In the caves? You told me that we would pay them back a thousand times over. So buck up, Major Badass; we’ve got a lot of ass to kick and not a lot of time to do it. I’m not going to let what happened get me down. My grief is going to power my magic.”

You chew on that for a while.

“That’s a hell of a way to mourn the dead.”

“Ze, some people shag at funerals. I kill demons.”

You grin. “A more beautiful eulogy was never writ.”

You turn to Alice, your morale high. “Still kicking?”

Alice nodded. “It was an exciting experience.”
“It’s been a while since I’ve been an armored suit. Nostalgia.”

“Armored… suit…? It was an enormous doll.”

You shrug. “Bit of both, no doubt.”

“It was an incredible feeling. As if all my magic were hardened into a single instrument of destruction.”

“Weird, ain’t it?” Marisa stood up. “It’s so rough.”

“Some like it nice, some like it rough.”

She yawned. “Sometimes you need to synch her gently.”

“And resonate sweetly,” you add.

“I’m sure I don’t follow,” Alice said, rolling on her side.

You camped out there for a few more hours, nodding out in your chair a couple of times as your nervous energy more-or-less drained out. Perhaps it was draining into Reimu and Alice, helping them. Maybe you’re like a container for water: if a resonation holds more power, it will empty into you. If you encounter someone weaker than you, your power drains into them until they’re full.

Or maybe you’re completely talking out of your ass. Probably that.

Alice walks towards the dining room beside you.
“Be careful, Major Badass. Remilia is a slippery one. She’ll try and screw you out of your soul at the slightest opportunity.”

“That was my old name. After I married, I became Major Cajones.”

“Ah! It’s Cojones.”

“…and how the hell would you know?”

The doors to the banquet hall flew open.

“Greetings, Guts.” Remilia sits at the head of the table, Patchouli on her left, Sakuya on her right. A parade of fairies bring in food, diligently convoying each course of th emeal. “I’ve heard ever so much about you!”

“I get that a lot. Tell me; just who are you?”
Patchouli frowns at the disrespect, but Remilia grins. “I am Lady Remilia Scarlet, Mistress of this mansion and vampire supreme.”

“That so.”

“I’ve invited you here to discuss the matter of… you. Please sit, human .”

You accept. Marisa seats herself beside you, propping her broom against the table. The fairies bring in a course of sumptuous fillet mignon.

“Patchouli has told me a great deal about Synchronizers. Such a fascinating tradeoff… the target loses her magic, but the synchronizer forges a weapon from that mystic power, a union of the synchronizer and subject. It’s rather…”

“Pervy?” offers Marisa.

Patchouli fires a disapproving look at Marisa.
“I was searching for a more tactful word, but that is more or less the case. Could it be said the synch weapons are child of the synchronizer and the subject. Hence why one can only synch with members of the opposite sex.”

“Exposition is fun and all, but I think we should get to the point,” you say, coolly. “I want to throw back the demons. I’m guessing you want the same. So how’s are merry little collaboration going to work?”

“Oh, so direct! I love it.” Remilia grins maniacally. “In short, I want you to work for me.”

“Work for you.”

“Become my familiar! A living weapon such as yourself ought to have no greater ambition than to find a wielder. Isn’t that right? You have no epic characterization, no monumental goal in life. The only nods to your personality can be found in a series of blandly-written text interludes to vaguely justify level progression. It’s a wonder they even bothered.”

Patchouli frowned. “Remilia, I do not follow.”

“Me too,” Marisa said. “Guts, you know what she’s talking about?”

You narrow your eyes. “Nobody breaks this wild stallion. Not even M’lady Vampire.”

Marisa snickers.

Remilia is clearly becoming annoyed. “Allow me to finish,” she begins. She reaches under the table and produces the most divine sight you’ve ever beheld.

An angelic chorus descends from above. At last, a shotgun! The sugar-sweet kiss of multiple led fragments flying at demon flesh is within your reach! You lost your trusty sawed-off back at Phobos B-site, but now, now, you can once again hold the crimson shells in your hand, sliding them lovingly into a well-oiled chamber… you could just about cry.

“How many times have you found yourself lacking proper weaponry to dispose of hellions who threaten you and yours? Consider this all-too-common scenario: you’re standing around in the hangar, wiping your feet on the luxurious blue carpet, when suddenly a group of zombies open up on you with shotguns. All you have… is a pistol and fifty bullets. Now, for the low, low price of your service to me, you can always be prepared with this mystic weapon engineered by Patchouli Knowledge herself.”

Remilia slides the shotgun across the table to you. A sixteen-inch steel barrel, inlaid with a silver dragon design coiling across it. The dragon breathes gold-paint fire near the end of the barrel. The grip has a long shoulder stock, made out of red wood polished to a shine. The handle is inlaid with an abstract silver design, making it all the more elegant.
No question. This is a weapon for the classiest of badasses.

“But that is not all, Guts. If you accept right now, I’ll throw these in for free.” She slides a set of four shotgun shells across the table. They aren’t ordinary shotgun shells -- they’re engraved with mystic runes, glowing slightly. “I forged these myself in my spare time. You have my guarantee they’ll kill anything they touch. They have dark magic in them, you know? Replacements will provided as needed~

“So how about it? Throw in your lot with the Scarlets?”

You glance around. Patchouli looks resigned. Marisa is clearly worried. “Don’t do it,” she mutters into your ear. Remilia is grinning a saleswoman’s grin ear to ear.

You examine the shotgun. It’s a magnificent piece of workmanship. How your fingers itch to pump new shells into the chamber, to load it one by one, to empty it into demon face…

You…

[ ]…rack that mofo. “Alright, m’lady. I’ll bite.”
[ ]…push it back. “I’ll pass. A vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hurf durf, the option for “Check on Reimu and Marisa” was meant to read “Check on Reimu, Marisa, and Alice.” My bad, everyone.

(Buck Up Major Badass should be the name of a novel)
>> No. 35253
[ ]…rack that mofo. “Alright, m’lady. I’ll bite.”

Although Marisa may be right this seems like the best outcome if think about it from every angle, and not just for a fancy ass shotgun with dark magic bullets. I doubt that Remilia would let you stay there for much longer if you didn't woork for her, and that may go for the others too. There's not a whole lot that Remilia could really do to you anyway, and there might be more perks to it later on.
>> No. 35254
[X]...push it back. “I’ll pass. A vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[X] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie"

> You have no epic characterization, no monumental goal in life. The only nods to your personality can be found in a series of blandly-written text interludes to vaguely justify level progression. It’s a wonder they even bothered.

And yet, here we are. Obviously Remilia didn't see the army of mods created and are still being created to this day for DOOM.

And besides, remember what Marisa said?

> Be careful, Major Badass. Remilia is a slippery one. She’ll try and screw you out of your soul at the slightest opportunity.

I don't feel like turning into a zombie.
>> No. 35256
>>35254
Guts has one major goal in his life: Kill all the demons and save earth from Hell. Then he has to figure out what to do with the rest of his life.

And Marisa is prone to hyperbole, though it strikes me as difference from canon (Marisa's on pretty good terms with the SDM in general despite her thefts)
>> No. 35258
[X]...push it back. “I’ll pass. A vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[X] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie"

I like this anon's idea. Although perhaps make it sound a bit more badass.

Also we're the friggin' Doomguy dammit. We can solo hell on the hardest differculty there is! Or at least without selling ourselves into eternal servitude. Although depending on what sort of servitude it is.... I'd be quite happy with Remilia!
>> No. 35259
[X]...push it back. “I’ll pass. A vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[X] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie"
's a wonder he doesn't just take the shotgun and leave.
>> No. 35260
[X]...push it back. “I’ll pass. A vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[X] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie"
>> No. 35261
>>35258
So you'd rather choose the hard way even if you could avoid it?

And you're just assuming that it'd be life long as opposed to the bulk of this incident. She wants to obtain the glory of defeating the demons so she wants us to fight under her banner.
>> No. 35263
[x]...push it back. “I’ll pass. A vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie"
Damn, this decision is not easy by any measure.
>> No. 35264
>>35261

Well yes. Hard way is a lot more fun! And yes I am assuming she wants eternal servitude (or at least as long as we live), but who's to say she isn't? She IS saying familiar though, that sort of relationship is usually a very long one.
>> No. 35265
[x]...push it back. “I’ll pass. A vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie"
>> No. 35267
[x]...push it back. “I’ll pass. A vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie"
>> No. 35268
[x]...push it back. “I’ll pass. A vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie"

Sure it'll make Remi mad, but knowing her, she'll use her fate hax on us to make us stay forever if we said yes.

>Guts has one major goal in his life: Kill all the demons and save earth from Hell. Then he has to figure out what to do with the rest of his life.

Something tells me that Remilia's gonna throw this curveball right back at us if we refuse. If she does, we'll need a definite answer for it.
>> No. 35270
>>35264
You mean struggling to find safe places to sleep and food to eat is really that much fun? And I doubt Remilia's the only one who wants his services.

And have you forgotten the matter of Patchouli teaching Guts to use his ability better so he doesn't render his partner bedridden? If we refuse, Remilia might just toss us out, barring us from that.
>> No. 35272
After reading her offer, I couldn't help but see Remilia as Vince Offer for a second.

It is a VERY disturbing image, let me tell you...

[x]…rack that mofo. “Alright, m’lady. I’ll bite.”
[X] "But on one condition. The bookworm said she'd help me with my synchronizing powers and all, and this thing is just damn beautiful."
[X] "But experience has taught me that vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie."
-[X] "So here's my condition: once all this is over, that I be allowed to leave here. It's been my job to kick these demons' asses from day one. And I won't stop until I know that every last one of them are erased from existence."

Feel free to elaborate, but here's what I got. Adjust as necessary.
>> No. 35273
[x]…rack that mofo. “Alright, m’lady. I’ll bite.”
[X] "But on one condition. The bookworm said she'd help me with my synchronizing powers and all, and this thing is just damn beautiful."
[X] "But experience has taught me that vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie."
-[X] "So here's my condition: once all this is over, that I be allowed to leave here. It's been my job to kick these demons' asses from day one. And I won't stop until I know that every last one of them are erased from existence."

Pissing against the tide
>> No. 35274
[x]...push it back. “I’ll pass. A vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie"
>> No. 35275
[x]…rack that mofo. “Alright, m’lady. I’ll bite.”
[X] "But on one condition. The bookworm said she'd help me with my synchronizing powers and all, and this thing is just damn beautiful."
[X] "But experience has taught me that vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie."
-[X] "So here's my condition: once all this is over, that I be allowed to leave here. It's been my job to kick these demons' asses from day one. And I won't stop until I know that every last one of them are erased from existence."

This. By giving a condition with the terms, we get what we want: a magic shotgun, help with our synching powers so that we don't nearly kill anyone else or screw too much with their powers, and a place to call base. Remi will get what she wants: another servant. But when the threat is over and done with, depending on how the rest of the story goes, we can go back to what we do best.

It's pissing against the tide, but I'll be damned if it's not one that would work out perfectly.
>> No. 35276
[X]…rack that mofo. “Alright, m’lady. I’ll bite.”
[X] "But on one condition. The bookworm said she'd help me with my synchronizing powers and all, and this thing is just damn beautiful."
[X] "But experience has taught me that vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie."
-[X] "So here's my condition: once all this is over, that I be allowed to leave here. It's been my job to kick these demons' asses from day one. And I won't stop until I know that every last one of them are erased from existence."

We have infinitely much to gain from such an alliance, not only Remilia's offerings, but Patchouli's teachings. And going about it alone might not cut it for too much longer; same goes for Marisa. There's limits to how far one can go on guts and emotions alone.

A key to fighting a winning battle is setting up a base of operations. The SDM would be an ideal base. Good food and rest would go along way in the war against hell.

>>35275
If enough people piss in said tide, they can stop it or change it.
>> No. 35279
[x]…rack that mofo. “Alright, m’lady. I’ll bite.”
[x] "But on one condition. The bookworm said she'd help me with my synchronizing powers and all, and this thing is just damn beautiful."
[x] "But experience has taught me that vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie."
-[x] "So here's my condition: once all this is over, that I be allowed to leave here. It's been my job to kick these demons' asses from day one. And I won't stop until I know that every last one of them are erased from existence."
>> No. 35280
[x]…rack that mofo. “Alright, m’lady. I’ll bite.”
[x] "But on one condition. The bookworm said she'd help me with my synchronizing powers and all, and this thing is just damn beautiful."
[x] "But experience has taught me that vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie."
-[x] "So here's my condition: once all this is over, that I be allowed to leave here. It's been my job to kick these demons' asses from day one. And I won't stop until I know that every last one of them are erased from existence."
>> No. 35295
[X]…rack that mofo. “Alright, m’lady. I’ll bite.”
[X] "But on one condition. The bookworm said she'd help me with my synchronizing powers and all, and this thing is just damn beautiful."
[X] "But experience has taught me that vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[X] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie."
-[X] "So here's my condition: once all this is over, that I be allowed to leave here. It's been my job to kick these demons' asses from day one. And I won't stop until I know that every last one of them are erased from existence."
[X] One more thing; I had a weapon back at base capable of great destruction, got anything like that? Say, some sort of BFG?


C'mon, if Patchy and Marisa can't combine to make the BFG, we'll NEVER get it.
>> No. 35301
[x]…rack that mofo. “Alright, m’lady. I’ll bite.”
[x] "But on one condition. The bookworm said she'd help me with my synchronizing powers and all, and this thing is just damn beautiful."
[x] "But experience has taught me that vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie."
-[x] "So here's my condition: once all this is over, that I be allowed to leave here. It's been my job to kick these demons' asses from day one. And I won't stop until I know that every last one of them are erased from existence."

>“I heard I was a samurai woman from a high court in Japan.”
So... we are female?
Goddammit, people.
>> No. 35302
>>35301
That still hasn't been confirmed yet.
>> No. 35307
>>35302

> Hence why one can only synch with members of the opposite sex.

We're a man.
>> No. 35320
>>35307
Let's cut the argument in half and say we're futanari.
>> No. 35326
>>35320
Works for me.
>> No. 35329
[x]…rack that mofo. “Alright, m’lady. I’ll bite.”
[x] "But on one condition. The bookworm said she'd help me with my synchronizing powers and all, and this thing is just damn beautiful."
[x] "But experience has taught me that vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie."
-[x] "So here's my condition: once all this is over, that I be allowed to leave here. It's been my job to kick these demons' asses from day one. And I won't stop until I know that every last one of them are erased from existence."

I reject your tide and substitute my own.

>>35320

ಠ_ಠ
>> No. 35330
[x]…rack that mofo. “Alright, m’lady. I’ll bite.”
[x] "But on one condition. The bookworm said she'd help me with my synchronizing powers and all, and this thing is just damn beautiful."
[x] "But experience has taught me that vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie."
-[x] "So here's my condition: once all this is over, that I be allowed to leave here. It's been my job to kick these demons' asses from day one. And I won't stop until I know that every last one of them are erased from existence."
>> No. 35343
>>35307
Oh, shit. That's ri--
>>35320
...That works nicely. Very nicely.
>> No. 35354
We're a guy, not a girl or some cross between.

> Hence why one can only synch with members of the opposite sex.
>> No. 35360
>>35354
Remilia could have had it wrong. I'm sure there haven't been many futa synchronizers in the past; it could be that we're a unique case.
>> No. 35363
File 126962880825.jpg - (7.00KB , 373x297 , 6a00d834527dd469e200e553a2b01c8833-800wi.jpg ) [iqdb]
35363
ಠ_ಠ
>> No. 35366
That write-in doesn't make sense

[x]...push it back. “I’ll pass. A vampire’s business partner rarely comes out ahead.”
-[x] "Besides, the zombies are the familiars of the demons themselves. And I don't feel like turning into a zombie"
>> No. 35368
>>35360

Remilia got that information from Patchouli, and she's is much less likely to make a mistake.
>> No. 35369
>>35366

We're accepting her offer on that single condition. We're complimenting her tastes and the positive aspects of accepting, but the same time, taking into consideration that she could very easily double cross us given our situation and keep us here. So by giving her the condition of allowing us to leave once the demons are repulsed from Gensokyo, we DON'T end up trapped via the deal.
>> No. 35371
File 126963387648.jpg - (34.07KB , 480x330 , johnromero.jpg ) [iqdb]
35371
You rack the shotgun. “Alright,” you say, “Let’s make a deal. But I got a couple of conditions.”

“Name them.”

“First off. This is a damn beautiful piece of equipment. Shotguns have been my constant companion since day one of this zany adventure, and I’m somewhat verklempt to find such a fine piece of a commitment. I’ll just come out and say it. I want this gun.” You work a crick out of your neck. “But a vampire’s business partner doesn’t come out ahead all that often.”

“Stereotype,” muttered Remilia.

“So let me put it this way. I’ll stay your ‘familiar’ until -- and only until -- we kick the demons out of Gensokyo. Then I’m free to go chase them wherever they hide. Deal?”

“Deal.”

Marisa is giving you a vaguely horrified look, but you ignore her.

The party eats in silence for a few minutes.

“Ah, Patchouli…” Remilia jumps in.

“Yes, Remilia?”

“Where did the ‘opposite sex’ business come from?”

“Was wonderin’ that myself,” put in Marisa.

You snicker.

“The answer is…” Patchouli draws a deep breath. “… a matter of doctor-patient confidentiality.”

There is a long silence.

“Patchy…” says Remilia, sweetly threatening.

“I apologize, Remilia, but I absolutely cannot speak on this matter.”

“Hmph. Well, I’ll just have to examine my new familiar later~”

You can’t help the feeling you’ve made a bad, and possibly pornographic, decision.

#####################################################################################

“What the hell are you thinking?” demands Marisa, that evening.

You sigh, leaving your equipment on your room’s fireplace mantle. Kusanagi and Vladimir, your shotgun. Sixteen runic shells are lined up next to it, on top of the six mounted to the roof of the weapon.

“I was thinking of the best way to do my job. If working for Remilia is the best way to achieve that, then so be it.”

“Not working for! You’ve become her familiar. You obviously don’t understand what that entails.”

“Apparently I don’t. Either way, I don’t care.”

“Don’t care?! You could spend the rest of her life working for her -- don’t think your cute little bargain is going to change anything!”

You stare at the shotgun.

“So what?”

“…excuse me?”

“Remilia is interested in killing demons. So am I. I’ve been fighting so long that I can barely remember who I am. I can barely remember the faces of my mother or my father. The comrades I’ve lost. I fought and I fought endlessly until I was the only one left.” You lean on a wall for support. “Once I kill them all, I’ll have nothing. No friends, family, or home to my name. If Remilia can lend some meaning to my life…”

Marisa slaps you across the cheek. You can’t even feel the sting.

“You idiot!”

For a moment, you stare into her eyes as they grow watery with tears.

Once more, you are alone.

#####################################################################################

Your dreams and nightmares are intertwined that night. You’re crawling your way through the Deimos base. Your unit is dead. Your gun is almost empty. Demon bodies litter the ground, bodies ripped open by shotgun fire. You fall to your knees, breath coming heavy.

A demon slides into the acid pool, its body dissolving.

A day passes. As you traverse the tunnel system, you hear an irresistible song. A dolche voice sings it, a sweet and curiously accented foreign voice, eminently female. The tunnels are dark and invisible, so you follow the sound, feeling your way along the jagged concrete walls.

Your hand grazes a scalding-hot pipe. You curse, but keep moving.

A hidden tunnel reveals itself. You step inside, entering a long concrete corridor, pleasantly lit by wall lights. The song keeps its slow turning up ahead, a circular motion you can’t deny.

Unless… this is the direct experience of a resonation. You hear the song more clearly than you ever have before, even picking out individual words here and there. You open a door, revealing a solitary stone altar… which Remilia sits upon. She is not singing it, even though you can still clearly here her voice.

“Ah, my new servant!” she says, excitedly. You watch her, silently. “What a lovely surprise this has been. You look very strange on the inside -- you define yourself almost entirely in terms of opposition to the devils. How deliciously tragic~”

You realize it. You’re unable to move. She’s frozen your nerves.

“Get rid of your armor.

You cannot resist. As much as you fight it, you can’t stop your arms from stripping off your tattered armor, leaving only the filthy, blood-spattered UAC uniform underneath.

Remilia descends from the altar, dressed only in a white slip. “Give me your hand.” You offer it docilely, like a child. Part of you is screaming to resist, but your nerves and muscles will not comply. Your bone structure might as well be made of immovable steel.

“Let power be granted, and power be taken.”

Remilia forces you to one knee, your hand raised up to hers.

“Let the exchange of wills be made.”

Her long, prehensile tongue snakes out and starts licking your fingers, exploring each scar and callous. The wetness she leaves is both terrifying and exciting.

“And on the tenth day,”

She nicks your forefinger with her sharpened canine,

“The son turned to his father and said:”

She reaches the thin web between your thumb and index finger,

“I have consumed the blood of a stranger!”

And she bites down, hard.

Pain erupts from your hand, snaking down your arm. You grimace despite her nerve-lock. As she drains some of your blood, a red marking begins to spread from the bite, forming a sigil of curved lines on your hand. Red lines coil down your forearm, halting at the elbow.

Remilia’s jaw unclamps, leaving a severe bite wound -- and the crest. Nothing looks more beautiful to you than that elegant red design.

The vampire turns away from you, climbing the altar once again. “And the father said, ‘my son!’ You have tasted the darker world! Once you leave this household, you may never return! You may never again walk in God’s fair daylight!”

As the son walked away from his home, he said to his father, “The devil has granted me dominion over the night and all its subjects. I have made a good trade.”

She again takes her seat at the altar. “…or so the story goes, anyhow.”

You remain on one knee, bowing before her.

“Did the son ever return?”

“No. He traveled by night, dragging his coffin behind him.” Her eyes focused on a distant object. “Of his mongrel race, only a handful remains.”

“M’lady,” you say, “I have only one purpose. Point me at the demons. Let me destroy them. I have nothing else.”

“You will receive your mission tomorrow morning. I expect to see you then… familiar.”

The dream ends, leaving you to troubled darkness.

#####################################################################################

You awaken to sunrise streaming through your window. Your hand aches, acutely reminding you of your dream.

The red sign stands out on it clearly.

You wonder if you’ve made a mistake. However, self-doubt is not your MO, nor is it the standing orders of the Space Marines. Killing demons, however, satisfies both criteria.

You take Vladimir off the mantle, still dressed only in your underclothes. The shotgun’s silver lining shines brightly in the morning light; you can appreciate the master craftsmanship more than ever. Slowly, you start loading the runic shells into the shotgun.

You pump the weapon, making the deeply satisfying cht-chuh noise we all know and love.

There’s a soft knock at the door. “Who’s there?”

“Sakuya.”

“Come in.”

Sakuya enters, indifferent to your partial dress. “I have brought breakfast.”

“Thanks.”

“In three hours, Lady Remilia wishes to see you. It is regarding a mission. She has also sent this.”

It’s a shoulder-sling for Vladimir, so he can be carried on the backeasily. Sakuya leaves it on the table. “Please hurry.”

She turns to leave.

“Are you like me?” you ask, still examining Vladimir.

“I do not understand.”

“Are you Remilia’s tool?”

“I am a loyal servant of the Scarlet family. Nothing more.”

So she is. Sakuya leaves you to your manners-free feasting.

#####################################################################################

Marisa made a point of giving you the silent treatment. The fairies whispered and gossiped among themselves. With nothing else to do, you drop in on Patchouli.

“ ‘Sup,” you say, raising your arm as you enter. Patchouli looks up from a book labeled Wayes and Meens of the English Commonwealth in Buxomshire, Circa 1494. “Getting some light reading in?”

Patchouli looks down at it. “Bathroom reading may be a more accurate descriptor. That is where this tripe ought to be.”

“Is it trite and unoriginal?”

“It is incorrect,” Patchouli says, plainly.

“Why read it?”

“There was a Synchronizer in Buxomshire, England, around this period. She was involved with the politics of the area. I was hoping to glean a few bits of useful information from this travesty. No luck.”

“Did she live up to the name of her great county?”

“No. Is there something you need?”

“Just wondering if you’ve gotten anywhere.

Patchouli shuts her book. “Only enough to know that this is a difficult talent to train. Synchronizers plied their trade for some time before mastering the art of not adversely affecting their subject.”

“How much time?”

“A year of constant training should do the trick.”

You choke. “I don’t have a freakin’ year!”

“Then you ought to get training. We will work together.”

“How?”

“You will synchronize with me. I have prepared a seal on my own body that will neutralize any synch when I activate it. Thus, we can practice without any danger of significant harm to either of us.”

You examine Patchouli for a moment. She betrays nothing vaguely resembling emotion, archaic book resting on her lap. She clearly doesn’t afraid of anything.

“Would you like to get started?”

“I need to see Remilia. After.”

“As you wish.”

#####################################################################################

Remilia sits in her chair, still half asleep. The daylight clearly isn’t her province.

“So, you invade my dreams and then never call back?” You lean on the doorframe. Remilia opens her eyes.

“Ah, well, I guess that’s just the sort of girl I am~”

You walk inside. “You told me you wanted something obliterated. I’m here for the party. Let’s go.”

“Aren’t you surprised I invaded your dreams last night?”

“Nope.”

“Oh, always so direct. It’s very difficult to get straight talk as the head of this mighty house.”

“I guess this is yours.” You raise your left arm to show her the crest.

“I’ve never seen one take so well. Perhaps because you lack a strong identity…?”

“Stop speculating and give me my mission.”

“Do not command me.”

You watch her silently.

“Well, your mission. Shortly after the demon attack began, this very mansion was assaulted by devils. At least four hundred of them; we did not bother to count to the bodies. While I left to ward off the attackers, several demons slipped into the mansion… and set my sister loose.”

A red dress flashes through your mind.

“My sister, like myself, is a vampire. A vampire stronger than myself many times over. However… she is also quite mad.”

“Would you say she is totally batshit?”

“I would say that is an adequate description, yes. I believe you had a run-in with her outside the Mansion. To put it simply: my sister is a danger to herself and others if she is allowed to wander any longer. I want you to find her.”

“And take her in?”

“ No. That is beyond your current abilities. Rather, use this.”

Remilia tosses something silver and shiny across the room. You grab it out of the air and look it over.

It’s an ornate compass on a silver chain.

“I have enchanted that compass to always point towards Flandre’s location. When you find her, smash it on the ground to call to me. I will come immediately to apprehend her.”

“If you have the compass, why not go find her yourself?”

“It is a curious predicament. I cannot leave during the daylight to find her, as she would be deep in hiding and I would not be at my full potential. If I left during the night, the mansion would be vulnerable to a major attack. So, I delegate this task to you. I promise you’ll run into enough demons on the way to sate your bloodlust.”

“What makes you think I can’t do this myself?”

Remilia flashes you a knowing look. “I assure you. You cannot deal with her. Also, bring someone else with you -- I don’t want you getting hurt, precious playthi -- ahem, familiar.”

You’re rapidly coming to hate that word.

#####################################################################################

In pursuit of Flandre, you partner up with…

[ ] Marisa. You want to avoid burning this bridge if it all possible.
[ ] Sakuya. Maids are cool.
[ ] Meiling. Everybody was kung-fu fighting…
[ ] Suika. You don’t technically know where she is, but following the trail of suplexed demons she lead you there.
[ ] Cirno. She is the strongest.
>> No. 35372
That was pretty intense.

[X] Marisa. You want to avoid burning this bridge if it all possible

We need to find some way to get back on her good side. She's too valuable of an ally.
>> No. 35373
>>35372
Agreed.

[X] Marisa. You want to avoid burning this bridge if it all possible
>> No. 35374
[ ] Meiling. Everybody was kung-fu fighting…

TEACH ME HOW TO FIGHT WONG FEI HUNG!
>> No. 35376
[x] Marisa. You want to avoid burning this bridge if it all possible.
[x] Suika. You don’t technically know where she is, but following the trail of suplexed demons should lead you there.

In order of preference, though I don't see any reason we can't take both. Marisa's there for the obvious reasons, and Suika for the extra muscle. Not to mention the fact that someone who can plow through demon battalions bare-handed is highly relevant to Guts' interests.


>“Where did the ‘opposite sex’ business come from?”

>“Was wonderin’ that myself,” put in Marisa.
If we're going to start playing gender-confusion games, you're going to have to retcon this bit:
>>35113
>“Shiiiiiiiiiiit!” moans Marisa, “Get him in, ASAP!”
>> No. 35377
[x] Marisa. You want to avoid burning this bridge if it all possible.
[x] Suika. You don’t technically know where she is, but following the trail of suplexed demons should lead you there.
-[X] Take both Vladimir and Kusanagi. You may need a back-up plan just in case.

This will work. As much as I'd love to have Meiling come with us too, it'd leave the mansion undermanned on defenses since Reimu and Alice are still incapacitated. Plus we were forced to leave Suika to herself to own demons alone. We'll need to catch up with her anyway.
>> No. 35378
>>35373 here.
Changing vote to the new one, which is even better an idea.

[x] Marisa. You want to avoid burning this bridge if it all possible.
[x] Suika. You don’t technically know where she is, but following the trail of suplexed demons should lead you there.
-[X] Take both Vladimir and Kusanagi. You may need a back-up plan just in case.
>> No. 35381
>>35377
Also we're about to go after something that's too much for the strongest. Not sure if she's even recovered from the sync yet. That and she'll help in the defense.

[x] Marisa. You want to avoid burning this bridge if it all possible.
[x] Suika. You don’t technically know where she is, but following the trail of suplexed demons should lead you there.
-[X] Take both Vladimir and Kusanagi. You may need a back-up plan just in case.

Marisa, we don't want to leave hanging and Suika's strength would be welcome in clearing the way.
>> No. 35385
[x] Marisa. You want to avoid burning this bridge if it all possible.
[x] Suika. You don’t technically know where she is, but following the trail of suplexed demons should lead you there.
-[X] Take both Vladimir and Kusanagi. You may need a back-up plan just in case.
>> No. 35386
> You can’t help the feeling you’ve made a bad decision.

Onca again, Anon takes the stupid option because of the shiny. We've lost any chance of getting the Best End.
>> No. 35389
>>35386

And you're surprised...? We more or less made a deal with the devil. Pun intended. But hey...what's done is done. Now we just have to figure out just how to deal and, if possible, make this work out in our favor. It's a REALLY...REALLY...long shot, but Anon does have their occasional intelligent moments. This just wasn't one of them.

[x] Marisa. You want to avoid burning this bridge if it all possible.
[x] Suika. You don’t technically know where she is, but following the trail of suplexed demons should lead you there.
-[X] Take both Vladimir and Kusanagi. You may need a back-up plan just in case.
>> No. 35393
>>35389
At least they stated valid reasons why they did it.
>> No. 35394
>>35386
Want some cheese to go with your whine?

We knew the risks, but the benefits outweighed them. As far as this mark, we'll worry about that after we kill the all the demons in Gensokyo.
>> No. 35395
>>35393

That's true. And this is only the beginning, so far. We have plenty of story left to turn things back in our favor. The only thing that's been dramatically affected thus far is a possible ending. Once we're free to leave the SDM, according to the contract, we can't come back.
>> No. 35397
>>35395
Who to say we've lost an ending option? This is just the beginning, and I think Remilia's tale is more about how vampires came to be, not the terms of the contract.
>> No. 35398
[x] Marisa. You want to avoid burning this bridge if it all possible.
[x] Suika. You don’t technically know where she is, but following the trail of suplexed demons should lead you there.
-[X] Take both Vladimir and Kusanagi. You may need a back-up plan just in case.

Sounds good to me, if we can't take both then just Marisa. Really pissed her off
>> No. 35400
[X] Marisa. You want to avoid burning this bridge if it all possible.
[X] Suika. You don’t technically know where she is, but following the trail of suplexed demons should lead you there.
-[X] Take both Vladimir and Kusanagi. You may need a back-up plan just in case.

Patchouli is pretty cool, eh? Syncs with strangers and dosen't afraid of anything.
>> No. 35401
>>35386

You know, there is a difference between "vaguely ominous foreshadowing" and "you idiot, you might as well quit reading, this is a foregone bad end." In particular, the first is far, far more common than the latter.

Anyways,

[x] Marisa. You want to avoid burning this bridge if it all possible.
[x] Suika. You don’t technically know where she is, but following the trail of suplexed demons should lead you there.
-[X] Take both Vladimir and Kusanagi. You may need a back-up plan just in case.

I'd have preferred Sakuya and Cirno, but Cirno's useless and Sakuya's too much of a lynchpin for the mansion's protection to take her out on a long mission.
>> No. 35407
>>35401

I wouldn't say she's completely useless, just not for the task of searching for Flandre.

Also if we have to, we'll cut off the marked hand and replace it with a Chainsaw or prosthetic hand with mega crush strength, like in Evil Dead 2/Army of darkness. It's more than possible in Gensokyo.
>> No. 35424
>>35407

>prosthetic hand with mega crush strength

...maybe something like a God Hand. That game was unreasonably hard for some reason, but damn if it isn't funny as hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPkRaXfARDk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QvCqMK7x0s
>> No. 35425
[x] Marisa. You want to avoid burning this bridge if it all possible.
[x] Suika. You don’t technically know where she is, but following the trail of suplexed demons should lead you there.
-[x] Take both Vladimir and Kusanagi. You may need a back-up plan just in case.
>> No. 35427
[] A Backpack and additional 84 shotgun ammo.

[] Meiling. Everybody was kung-fu fighting…
>> No. 35434
[x] Marisa. You want to avoid burning this bridge if it all possible.
[x] Suika. You don’t technically know where she is, but following the trail of suplexed demons should lead you there.
-[x] Take both Vladimir and Kusanagi. You may need a back-up plan just in case.

Sounds all right.
>> No. 35503
File 126999978534.jpg - (91.66KB , 500x628 , 1269621033757.jpg ) [iqdb]
35503
“Marisa!” you shout, shouldering Vladimir. “We’re moving out.”

The girl gives you a dirty look.

“Look, you can stay mad at me, or we can keep fighting. Your pick.”

She turns up her nose and looks away, silently.

“We’re going to hunt some demons… and Flandre.”

You watch as Marisa’s face gradually shifts from anger to a struggle between anger and curiosity.

“Remilia’s request. You know, family business.”

Finally, curiosity wins. “Flandre? I heard something was up with her.”

“She escaped, apparently. Remilia wants her back. Gave me this to track her.” You pull the compass out of your pocket. “Wanna tag a long? I’m sure there are plenty of demons to waste out there.”

Marisa weighs her options. “Well… we really need to find Flandre.”

“So let’s go.” You head for the exit.

“I’m still mad at you!”

“So?”

#####################################################################################

Marisa rides alongside you, hovering over the snow-covered ground. The forest around the mansion has been shredded: trees torn apart and scattered, the snow scorched black in places. Dead bodies litter the ground, too badly eroded to easily tell whether they’re Gensokyo or native.

Irritation rolls off of Marisa in waves. You tempted me into doing this and now I’m mad at you.

You finally find what you’re looking for: a baron, its head planted firmly beneath the snow. Up ahead is a trail of embedded demons, crushed into the ground to various depths. You follow the trail, Marisa floating along behind you. “How did things come to this…?” she mutters.

You don’t have answer.

As you tramp through the warzone, you prick your ears at a song. Not a resonation, a literal song.

“Suika is coming to beat your arse~
Beat your arse, beat your arse~
Suika is full of sake, and she is coming for you!”

“There she is,” you say, sagely.

“Suika? Why were we looking for her?”

“She suplexes demons.”

“Fair enough.”

You emerge into a valley, only to find a pile of demons reaching almost to the treetops. Sitting atop it is the horned girl you saw before, chugging sake from her gourd.

“ ‘Sup!” you call.

Suika looks down. “It’s stranger!”

“The one and only. Wanna come kick some ass?”

“Da!” Instantly enthusiastic, the little oni leaps from her little mountain. “Suika remembers the stranger! Is stranger a bad enough warrior to beat down hell?!”

“Hell yes. Anyway, Marisa and I are headed for some demons. Up for a little of the old ultraviolence?”

“DA!”

You yank the compass out of your pocket. “If this is right, our target is… west.”

The three of you set out, trekking through the woods. The further out you get, the less damage you see; the demons have been crashing against the Mansion’s heavy defenses futilely. As you walk, Marisa flies up ahead to keep a lookout for danger.

No demons. Seems they’ve been depopulated in this area -- for now. If your journeys have taught you nothing else, it’s that demons spread faster than kudzu. It’ll be hours before they come back in full force. Hell, they’ll probably eat their dead and wounded.

Material that will go straight into spawning new devils.

The futility of it never struck you quite this hard before.

Shaking your head free of doubts, you glance up at Marisa in the sky above, flitting about freely. The snow masks all noise, even Suika’s lumbering footsteps.

“Suika wants to know the stranger’s name.”

“Guts.”

You briefly recall the manga you stole that name from. Fuck, you want to find out how that ended.

“Is Guts really from outside?”

“I guess Guts is.”

“Oh. Then how did Guts get here?”

“Fuck if Guts knows.”

She giggles, inexplicably. “Guts is nice! Would Guts like some of Suika’s sake?”

Intoxication sounds pretty damn appealing right now, but there’s demon slaying to be done. As glance up, you notice something.

Marisa’s waving her hat in the air, desperately trying to get your attention. “They’re here,” you growl.

Sixteen imps erupt from beneath the snow.

You whip out Vladimir and fire in one fluid action. The first demon explodes, its chest caving in. Laughing, you pump another shell into the chamber and open up on the rest of them. Hot damn, how you missed the kick of a shotgun! That sweet sweet recoil, that roar of the shell leaving the chamber -- it’s almost as moving as Titanic.

The last demon hits the ground. You reload Vladimir and holster it. As satisfying as it is, you need to keep track of ammo -- Remilia only gave you so many shells. Marisa plunges to ground level. “That’s not the end of it!” She points up ahead. “Cliff face that way -- they’re pouring out of a cave!”

You pull out the compass. Sure enough, Flandre’s camped out in that cave, with a whole bunch of new friends from the wrong side of town. “Alright. Suika. Listen up.”

“Ya?” She bounces the severed head of an imp against a tree trunk, leaving a stain of gore that grows with each collision.

“We’re going in there to lure out as many demons in as possible. When we got them outside, Marisa’s gonna ram all of her magic right down their throats. Got it?”

Suika stares at you blankly.

“One, we go in. Two, we leave, the demons follow. Three, Marisa kills them all with one attack.”

“…Suika doesn’t understand.”

“Look,” Marisa bursts in, “just follow Guts.”

“Follow Guts… like puppy?”

“Yes. Like puppy.”

Suika immediately invades your personal space, standing less than a foot away and staring up at you adoringly. “Like puppy,” you say, wearily. “Let’s go!”

#####################################################################################

The cave pulses with demon life, growing on the walls and ceilings. Eggs threaten to hatch more imps and hell knights any moment. Slowly, you and Suika push inside. You can hear growls echo up from the dark beyond. The demons have settled deep into Gensokyo.

This will not stand.

The demons are vulnerable to a single point of complete annihilation. You can feel it. Their whole society is just--

Suika charges into the darkness.

“SUIKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKI!”

And they’re on you.

OST: Quake II - Adrenaline Junkie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRnOLVeA-1w

Demons close in on every side. You whip Kusanagi out of her sheath and go to town, hacking into the hords. You whip around, cutting down dozens of imps and zombies at a single bound. Blood sprays across every surface. Your blade cuts into a nurturing sac, spilling a fetal cacodemon onto the ground. It died the second it touched the air.

As you wail onto the horde, you scream “MARISA! GET IN HERE!” Demons close in on every side, screaming, roaring.

Magic rains down around you, evaporating them in a second.

Marisa dives to you, hands raised for another spell. “What happened to the grand strategy, Napoleon?”

“Waterloo,” you grumble. Suika has disappeared into the darkness up ahead, but the screams of demons being torn limb from limb allay any fears for her safety you might have had. “Looks like we’re doing this the hard way.” You sheathe Kusanagi. “Fly as high as you can, support us. I’ll go in after Suika.”

You whip Vladimir out of its holster. Time to party.

You lay into the demons, racking and reloading effortlessly. Marisa keeps the skies clear, blasting magic and vaporizing chunks of stone. The light becomes faint behind you, leaving only fire and magic to guide your vision. As you advance around a corner, piles of demons behind you, you hear something.

A song. Gibberish, but a song muttered by a female voice. A very familiar one.

Flandre hovers in a rock corridor, singing tunelessly. You reach for the compass, ready to dash it on the ground. But as you do it, the song stops.

Instinctively, you glance behind you.

“You hurt my friends, maggot,” snarls Flandre.

If Marisa hadn’t thrown up a ward then and there, that would have been the end of you. Fire forks around the shield, melting the rock and incinerating many of her supposed friends. Raising your arm to prtect your face from ash and sparks, you yank the compass from your pocket.

When the fire suddenly stops. Taken aback, you look up only to see Flandre rushing towards you, arcing over Marisa. She smashes into you like a sledgehammer, throwing you to the floor and ripping the compass out of your hands. As you force yourself upright, you see her vanish around a corner.

Sweeping up Vladimir, you make chase, your tattered duster trailing behind you. You blow past Suika, who is daintily dipping demons into molten rock. Marisa hurtles after on her broom, face set in determination. You round the corner only to find Flandre floating in a large, vaulted chamber, a deep chasm at the edge. More tunnels branch off in all directions.

“You wanted to call her, didn’t you, you little worm.” Her eyes shine with madness. “You wanted to call Remilia!”

“You got it.”

“I won’t let you!” she screams. “Sister kept me chained up! She didn’t even let me play with my food before I ate it!” It’s a tantrum, you realize. “I don’t want to go down there, and no one can make me. I’ll eat and I’ll eat and I’ll eat and no one can stop me!

“Flandre,” Marisa breaks in. “Let’s duel.”

There’s a silence.

“A worm like you wants to face me?!” she screams.

“Duel?” you question.

“I’ll explain later. For now, I’ll just focus on getting that compass back.”

thump-THUMP

But something pushes all other distractions aside. You whirl around the second you hear that noise. It’s a thump-THUMP like no other. Footfalls that could only come from one demon. Sometimes he’s the hunter, you’re the quarry; other time’s you’re the one smelling his blood on the air. Your history goes all the way back to Phobos.

There’s an explosion and a flash of light around the corner. Suika sails into the room, slamming into the wall. She moans loudly, scrabbling upright.

thump-THUMP

Your heart accelerates. Your face twists into a mask of hate. Your nemesis, above all other demons.

He rounds the corner.

“CYBERDEMON!” you roar.

A torrent of demons, swarming like ants, charges around the corner. His alien eyes flash with recognition, watching you from above. You can sense his purpose. He’s come hunting traitors. The one who aligned with Flandre. He’s going to kill everyone here.

You raise Vladimir, blinded by rage.

“What are you doing?!” screams Marisa.

What’s left of Flandre’s friends rally around to protect her. They must be outnumbered at least thirty to one.

The Cyberdemon levels its rocket launcher on you.

“So. Here we are again.”

It gives a mulish grunt of acknowledgement. Of respect for an adversary.

Then, fire is everywhere. Explosions erupt around you. You sail throw the air, hitting the ground and rolling hard. The hard surface gashes you as you spiral away. Darkness consumes you for a few seconds, but only a few: you’re on feet again, standing strong. You sweep Vladimir off the ground.

You’re surrounded by enemies. No compass in sight. Suika is a bit to your right, fighting endlessly. Marisa’s up high, containing the Cyberdemon’s horde while weaving between rockets. Flandre hurls fire haphazardly, screaming at the top of her lungs.

He’s in your grasp. The sense of death is closing around him, you can feel it. You can finish him!

…or is that just what you want to feel?

You…

[ ]…synch up with Flandre. You need to end him, even if you get torn apart by Flandre’s power!
[ ]…synch up with Suika. Pure power. You’ll rip him apart with pure power!
[ ]…escape into the tunnels with Suika, live to fight another day. Marisa will take the hint to do the same.
>> No. 35504
[X]…synch up with Flandre. You need to end him, even if you get torn apart by Flandre’s power!

This can't possibly go wrong!
>> No. 35505
[X]...Fastball special with Suika. Right at the Cyberdemon's face.

As awesome as that would be...

[X]…synch up with Flandre. You need to end him, even if you get torn apart by Flandre’s power!"

This will definitely sting like a motherfucker, but not only will this weaken Flandre, it gives us access to quite a bit of firepower. And Suika's already in a bit of a predicament so we can't necessarily sap her strength now. With Flan weakened, Marisa can level her.

>“SUIKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA IBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKI!”

...Oh my God, she just ran in.

...surprisingly well-placed. GJ! I just hope it doesn't end up in a total party kill.
>> No. 35506
[x]…synch up with Suika. Pure power. You’ll rip him apart with pure power!

YOU ARE HUGE. THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS.
>> No. 35507
[X]…synch up with Flandre. You need to end him, even if you get torn apart by Flandre’s power!"

This is going to be a crazy bet...
>> No. 35508
>>35506

This Anon said it perfectly, nothing us need be said.

[x] Sync with Flandre

We are a crazy motherfucker!
>> No. 35509
[x]…synch up with Flandre. You need to end him, even if you get torn apart by Flandre’s power!"
This is going to be fun.
>> No. 35510
[X]…synch up with Flandre. You need to end him, even if you get torn apart by Flandre’s power!"
>> No. 35511
[X]…synch up with Flandre. You need to end him, even if you get torn apart by Flandre’s power!"

I know i'm going to regret this...
>> No. 35513
[x]…synch up with Suika. Pure power. You’ll rip him apart with pure power!
Why are you taking the risky option when there's a safe one and equally powerful available.
Also? RIP AND TEAR RIP AND TEAR
>> No. 35514
[X]…synch up with Flandre. You need to end him, even if you get torn apart by Flandre’s power!"

the worst that could happen is a "oh, hi remi, we kinda took out flandre's power...."
>> No. 35515
[X]…synch up with Flandre. You need to end him, even if you get torn apart by Flandre’s power!

Think about it. Flandre's crazy powerful, yet is currently our enemy. Suika's crazy powerful yet she is our ally. We've screwed up Marisa's magic already so she's still weakened from her normal state. And in case anyone forgot there is a Cyberdemon here too. What are we going to gain from weakening our only other ally as well? If we weaken Suika, we end up in a huge disadvantage against two absurdly powerful opponents plus quite a few lesser demons. If we weaken Flandre...like >>35505 said, this takes her down a few tiers, giving Marisa the chance to blast her. It'll hurt like hell, sure, but let's not forget that we DID undergo some synching training with Patchy back in >>35371. It may very well tear us apart, but at least we've undergone SOME training to possibly even withstand it. It will hurt like a fucking bitch, yes...but Flandre's the better option here not in terms of safety, but in terms of strategy. Plus we'll get a handy new weapon to possibly fight the Cyberdemon on even terms in terms of firepower. The Rocket Launcher was a pretty big gamebreaker in Doom too. Plus, we have another possibility on our side: We are Remilia's familiar. Flandre is Remilia's sister. Chances are at least ONE of those factors will come into play to alert her of the situation, compass or not.
>> No. 35517
[ ]…synch up with Flandre. You need to end him, even if you get torn apart by Flandre’s power!
>> No. 35518
[X]…synch up with Flandre. You need to end him, even if you get torn apart by Flandre’s power!
-[X] If shits hits the fan, summon Remi for help.
It's not like she will have enough energy to oppose him after a sync.
>> No. 35519
>>35515

...I'm convinced.

[X]…synch up with Flandre. You need to end him, even if you get torn apart by Flandre’s power!
>> No. 35522
sorry to interrupt but when Patchy said "training?" we said "gotta meet with Remi, later"
>> No. 35523
>>35522

I must have read it wrong then. I thought the training was time-skipped over.
>> No. 35524
[X]…synch up with Flandre. You need to end him, even if you get torn apart by Flandre’s power!

WHO'S A MAN AND A HALF? HE'S A MAN AND A HALF. BERSERKER PACKIN' MAN AND A HALF. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU THAT I CAN'T FIX. WITH MY HANDS!
>> No. 35552
[x] Synch up with the cyberdemon and let the others beat the shit out of that weakened son of a bitch.

Thinking outside the box.

I'm sure that absolutely nothing at all could go wrong with this plan.

Sure, I tell you.
>> No. 35557
>>35552
Pretty sure he will lose his sanity. Nice idea tho.
>> No. 35560
>>35557

...
>> No. 35562
>>35552

I don't think his pride will even let him consider doing that.
>> No. 35564
>>35552
Translation of above post: It'll be a glorious bad end.
>> No. 35568
>>35552
This would imply that cyberdemon is female. Then again, this is touhou, it would make sense in a weird kind of a way. In other news, you are now imagining a cyberdemon in a frilly dress.
>> No. 35572
>>35568
Someone needs to drawfag Zun's versions of Doom monsters. Imps in frilly dresses, Macubae in mop hats, etc.
>> No. 35576
[X] Synch up with the Cyberdemon and let the others beat the shit out of that weakened son of a bitch.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG???

inb4 we turn into the Spider Mastermind.
>> No. 35600
File 127018972858.jpg - (89.40KB , 716x838 , Rail_Tracer_in_Baccano_by_riyancyy777.jpg ) [iqdb]
35600
Well then.

You holster Vladimir, watching the battle rage around you. The noise is truly mind-crushing, and yet you can still hear resonation loud and clear. You zone in on Flandre’; chaotic, raging, confused beyond all measure. Yeah, you remember it; it kept you alive in the freezing cold. Perhaps her resonation is the essence of fire encoded into sound.

You rip out Kusanagi and wade into the horde, hacking and slashing indiscriminately. Blood flies through the air around you, staining every surface. You’re doused in it, staining through your clothes until you are entirely covered.

“Tickets, please?”

You burst through the front lines, into the circle of death that surrounds Flandre.

“Yo, psycho!”

She turns on you, scowling viciously.

“Let’s rock!”

You bull-rush her, catching Flandre square in the stomach. You both hurtle into a mob of demons, Flandre hurling fire. They vaporize within seconds, but you persist.

Synch…

Synch!

You grab ahold of Flandre’s resonation, forcing it into your body.

In that moment, you enter a world of pain like no other. Your vision goes solid red as you let loose a scream. There is fire inside your body, scorching away at the organs. Everything around you burns. Everything is screaming, broken, torn.

Someone is calling you, but you cannot hear.

No…

Not this way.

Your vision clears. Flandre has latched onto your back, apparently unconscious.

And in your hands…

Oh yes…

In your hands is a motherfucking double-bladed ASH-1000 battle chainsaw! Two blades protrude from an armored machine concealing two engines that could move F1 cars. Two blades, each moving fast enough to shred anything that even looks at ‘em funny. You raise the chainsaw high over your head, pointing at the ceiling. Demons crush in on every side, hungry for your flesh.

“BY THE POWER OF CHAIN-SKULL!” You yank the ignition lever, and shit seriously gets real. The blades liquefy the demons as you charge into the swarm. You are barely aware of Flandre sinking her teeth into your shoulder, of Remilia’s crest pulsing on your arm. All you see are demons vanishing into the whirling blades, whole beings one second and liquid the next. As you advance, rolling to dodge Cybbie rockets, a flight of cacodemons enters the cave. While Marisa lines up a strike, you instinctively pull the secondary lever.

A jet of flame erupts from between the blades, cutting into the air and roasting the cacodemons. They plunge into the swarm, setting more demons ablaze.

Double-bladed ASH-1000 battle chainsaw… WITH FLAMETHROWER ATTACHMENT!

This day is officially awesome, Flandre eating you aside. As you plunge ahead, the Cyberdemon lets loose a primal roar and wades toward you, crushing his comrades underfoot.

“You want some of this? YOU WANT SOME OF THIS, PANSY B. PANSINGTON?! I’M TWELVE POUNDS OF BADADSS IN A FIVE-POUND BAG. I’M BAD. I’M REAL BAD. YOU GET IT, ASSY MCGEE?”

Rockets crash around you, but none land home. You know his patterns. You know how he thinks. You can finish him, here and now. Twenty-five feet, twenty feet. You tear towards him, screaming like a naked Scottish claymore-wielding knight.

“COME ‘N’ GET IT, ASSHOLE!”

The blades rip into his stomach. It shrieks, lashing out at you with its fists.

Guts… A nagging voice pulls at the back of your mind.

A vortex of green light gathers around the Cyberdemon as he threatens to escape. “NO GOOD!”

You slam the chainsaw into his leg, shredding the knee. The green light consumes him, and he reappears elsewhere in the tunnel, behind more swarms.

You pause, drawing slow, heavy breaths. The chainsaw rumbles and bucks in your hands, like a dog that wants to be set free. Or… a hound of hell.

“You lot.” You look at the demons. “You’re dog food!”

#####################################################################################

You’re floating in Flandre’s inner world. Perhaps the only mind more damaged and warped than your own. It’s an Escher artwork of fire and pain. Chains that bind beating organs to vertical surfaces. Floors of mixed water and lava mix and turn before your eyes. Rolling hills of razor-sharp glass. A sky filled with shining clouds…

Flandre is a tree. A petrified tree. A dryad of violence, a rock tree twisted out of molten rock. A tree adorned with metal bars, hanging multicolor lights… and, at the highest branch, Flandre’s body, slowly unfurling herself.

The girl we see now is only a quarter free of this molten hellscape. Five hundred years hence, will she be loose?

#####################################################################################

“Guts, stop!” Marisa screams.

You stay your hand, freezing all motion. Your boots squelch in something sticky and soft. You hold the chainsaw aloft. The cave is utterly silent and still.

You were about to… you were about to kill Marisa?

The girl shudders with sobs. “Guts, they’re dead! We killed them all! Please… stop…”

You look around.

Everything is dead. You’re knee-deep in dead demons.

“I’m…” you mutter, clutching your head. The pain becomes very real. “Where’s the Cyberdemon?”

Marisa wipes her tears. “The big one? It… it escaped, when you totally lost it. It was like you were one of them… that was the feeling.”

Ye who hunt monsters, eh?

You rub your forehead, a migraine digging at you. Flandre nearly ripped you apart. You’re so totally doused in blood you can feel it on your skin, beneath your dyed-red duster.

A wave of nausea hits you.

“Guts?”

You sink to your knees, light-headed. “Dammit… she’s sucking me dry.” Flandre rests on your shoulder, draining you. It’s as if Marisa just noticed the girl biting you. Her eyes widen in terror.

“I’ll pry her off!” Marisa cries, hysterically.

“Don’t, you’ll make it worse.” Desperately, you check for the compass in your pockets. No luck, it fell out of your hand when Flandre tackled you. And now…

It’s somewhere beneath this mass of the dead. You find a relatively clear area and sit down, resting your head.

“You don’t have long! If we don’t get it off, you’ll turn into a vampire!”

Oh, wonderful. You’ll have to burn that bridge when you come to it. “Where’s Suika?”

“I dunno… she ran off. Looking for somewhere to rest.”

“Alright. Marisa. Go find Remi.” It’s hard to speak. You feel lifeless and numb.

“But-- you--”

“Get going!” you snap. “Every second counts. Remilia will know how to fix this.”

Marisa nods, gathering herself. After a pause: “You’re an idiot, you know.”

“I have some inkling.”

Marisa hops onto her broom and takes off, vanishing around a bend in the cave. As you lean back, you feel a tickling at the back of her mind.

I want you to
I want you to
I want you to…
…feed


Great. Flandre wants you to eat demon-flesh to feed her.

Worm… you can’t fight it…

Marisa crosses your mind. Her white flesh suddenly seems… delicious.

You want to feed… I’ll make you want to feed!

Suddenly, everything nearby seems edible. Dead demons look absolutely delicious. Everything looks wonderful, delightful to the taste. It would be so easy just to start eating, ripping away at it with your teeth. You screw your eyes shut. No.

Yessss…

Remilia’s crest aches. You can feel her resonation; is she closing in, or are you imagining things in your final hours?

Maybe you should just walk into the daylight, destroying Flandre utterly and freeing yourself from her curse.

Or maybe, you should just vanish into the tunnels.

You…

[ ]… retreat into the tunnels, away from the sweet-smelling flesh.
[ ]… walk into the day, exposing Flandre to sunlight and whatever hell might await her.
[ ]… feel into your crest, communing with Remilia from afar.
>> No. 35601
[ ]… feel into your crest, communing with Remilia from afar.
>> No. 35602
[x]… walk into the day, exposing Flandre to sunlight and whatever hell might await her.
This will be an act of mercy.
>> No. 35604
[x]… feel into your crest, communing with Remilia from afar.
Flandre could come useful later on, but now we need to get her off asap.
>> No. 35605
[X]… feel into your crest, communing with Remilia from afar.

That was creepy. Yet, oh so very awesome.

I...don't think Remi will like if we outright went and killed her sister. If we can communicate with her through the crest, it might save a bit of time. We just have to make sure we can resist Flan's influence. Though I wonder how it may affect us in the future.

With great power comes great insanity. And since it's Flan...
>> No. 35606
[X]… feel into your crest, communing with Remilia from afar.
>> No. 35609
[x]… feel into your crest, communing with Remilia from afar.
>> No. 35612
[x]… feel into your crest, communing with Remilia from afar.

Marisa had better fly ten kinds of fast. Guts may be a badass demon-hunting mofo, but he's still under the influence of synching with Flan, PLUS she's trying to change him into a vampire.
>> No. 35618
[+]...feel into your crest, communing with Remilia from afar.
-[+] Try to find that damned compass.

On the threshold of no, Guts, you are the demons.
>> No. 35622
[+]...feel into your crest, communing with Remilia from afar.
-[+] Try to find that damned compass.
gotta keep a chain on these things
>> No. 35629
[x]...feel into your crest, communing with Remilia from afar.
-[x] Try to find that damned compass.

Can't we bop her on the head or something?
>> No. 35631
Well, ladies and gentlemen, we’re onto our sixteenth chapter and second thread. I invite you all to join me as our quest to defeat the hellions continues in DoomHou: Hell on Gensokyo!

Also, if at all possible, I would like an End of the Thread performance evaluation. Tell me where I suck, where I own, what I could do to improve, things you would like to see, and so on. Audience feedback is important to me.

Expect an update in the next two or three days.
>> No. 35632
>>35631
Guts is fucking kick ass dude. Awesome characterization for him and you are doing very well with the Touhou so far as well. I haven't seen any true faults yet. Sure a few things where I was a little confused or lost, but when I was lost it was my fault and the things I was confused about were all resolved in one reread. I think the way you write overall is interesting as well, and you definitely got the portrayal of "Hell in Gensokyo" almost perfectly. Good job, and keep it up.
>> No. 35633
>>35631
There have been some minor problems every now and then, but overall it's pretty decent. I'm not going to go into details however, as whenever writers have asked for critical feedback and recieved it, they went into a rut to fix them, instead of, you know, fixing them as they went along. Because we all know that faults in writing are best fixed by not writing and just moaning over them.
>> No. 35637
>>35631
I don't notice any huge problems, and that's a good thing, since most folks are willing to put up with minor problems.
>> No. 35758
(Late, I know.)
I haven't been looking very hard for problems and whatnot. The panicky reactions of the girls are good. Suika's scared reactions at times seem unbelievable; actually, Suika in general doesn't seem like Suika, aside from pulling pro-wrestling moves on demons and whatnot.
>> No. 35808
>>35758
good point, since Suika is generally a boisterous fearless sort. But she would be concerned when she heard about Reimu's state.