[Return]
Archived thread

File 122101300235.jpg - (46.99KB , 512x760 , unknownkeys.jpg ) [iqdb]
19823 No. 19823
The lack of a definitive answer causes me to cook the ingredients you have given me into a stew and serve it back as some heterogeneous mixture that tastes like the semblance of what you requested. Eat up; be glad it’s edible.

====================

[Point at the window and look at her in confusion; tell her Cirno came through there. Ultimately tell her the truth, omitting nothing.]

With her elegance and servitude stripped away, Sakuya looks genuinely frightening. It didn’t take much to figure that out when she was fighting Cirno and Rumia, but now all that rage is directed straight at you. You get a feeling that she devotes herself completely to whatever is most important to her at that exact moment, and at this exact moment, it seems to be extracting information from you as fast as possible. You deem it best to give her the truth, but start slow, revealing only much as needed so she’ll put that knife away, even if that means all of it.

You motion your hand towards the outside, trying to look tired and confused. “She came from the…window, I guess? I don’t really understand the question, Ms. Izayoi.”

She isn’t buying your befuddled state, and continues her sharp interrogation. “Did you or did you not let her in through that window?!” she snaps, fingers still tense on that knife.

So much for playing the fool. “Yes, I did.”

The knife thuds into the bedpost next to your head. She’s instantly holding another one, pointing it directly at your face.

“Why?”

No sense going back now. You explain to her that you just wanted to hear her out, that she only wanted to apologize, and that you accepted the apology, no harm done.

Her face slowly softens as your words reach her ears. From the way she looks at you, you can’t quite make out whether it’s because she understands there’s no foul play afoot, or if she is sincerely moved by your actions. In either case, she puts the knife away and smoothes her skirt.

“I must apologize for my outburst, sir,” she says, her demeanor returning to the formal, businesslike attitude you’ve come to expect from her. “I suspected she might be trying to harm you again. The Mistress is most outraged by the fairy’s actions upon you, and has now instructed the entire mansion to remove her from the grounds by force on sight. While I acknowledge your sympathy to Cirno’s ‘mistake’, I’m afraid you cannot see her again while you are rooming here.”

Your eyes fall to the bedsheets. Can’t see her again? Your friendship might only be two minutes old, but it’s better than nothing, and Cirno seemed genuinely glad for your company. What’s worse is that she has no idea what’ll happen if she comes back; she’d be walking into a hornet’s nest! You try and negotiate with Sakuya on behalf of Cirno.

“Would the Mistress reconsider if I told her what happened?” you suggest. “It would be foolish to punish someone else for my mistake.”

“You are quite kind to think as such, but no. This is not the first time Cirno has caused trouble for this mansion, nor is it the first time she has caused bodily harm to another because of it. Injuring her honored guest, intentional or not, is the final nail in the coffin, as it were. I would suggest you put it out of your mind. Now then…” She brings to her front a bottle of some light pink liquid you didn’t notice before, and pours it into a glass. “This is a strong brew to make your wounds heal faster, and also to help you rest. You’ve been instructed to drink the lot of it.”

She places the glass in your hand and helps you drink it. It tastes like…nothing, like you’re drinking a glass of liquid air. You can feel the medicine kick in immediately, and your lids slowly droop within seconds.

“Please try and have a good rest, sir.” You nod drearily as sleep wraps you in her warm blanket.

~~~~~~~~~~

Is this a dream? Your eyes circle around in their sockets, but there is only blackness. In the stillness of the dark void, you can barely hear something breathing slowly. You open your mouth to speak, but something sharp against your neck causes you to stop.

“No,” a voice whispers into your ear. The low volume and indistinguishable pitch make discerning its owner impossible; you can’t even tell if the speaker is male or female.

“If you speak, I shall make you feel…regret. If you look, I shall make you feel…more.” You don’t need a second warning, and remain as stiff and motionless as a block of wood.

“Make no mistake,” it continues slowly, “the events that transpired today have made her…displeased. With every step you take, you dig your grave deeper. And yet, because you seem so intent on your own self-destruction…I shall give you a tool, to aid you on your path towards Hell.”

A small weight is placed on your lap, but you don’t dare move to find out what it is.

“It may come to pass that the fool among us is perhaps the smartest of us all. If that is the case…do what I cannot, what she will not, what they dare not. You may yet be the one who saves us all…”

After that sentence, there is only silence, ear-crushing silence, for what feels like eternity. Unwilling to move, unwilling to speak, unwilling to look, you remain bolted in place, waiting for a signal that never comes…

~~~~~~~~~~

The lamps flicker in their mirrored globes, bathing the room in yellow light. You push yourself into a sitting position on the bed. Instantly realizing the lack of pain, you feel around on your arms and torso. The wounds that once speckled your body with scarlet have all but disappeared, leaving nothing but healing scar tissue. You shake your head in disbelief as you remember the concoction Sakuya gave you; a “magic potion”, perhaps? Whatever fanciful realm you stepped into when you got off that boat, you feel like you’re finally getting used to it. The window behind you is dark. Is it nighttime already? You must have slept through the entire afternoon, though it’s no big surprise considering what the morning did to you. As your eyes look at the room, you see a fine black suit hanging on a wall peg opposite you, with a note attached:

The Mistress has requested you join her for dinner tonight, and wishes that you wear this suit. The meal will be served at 9:30 sharp. Don’t be late.

As if to make sure you are aware of the time, a small silver pocketwatch hangs from one of the suit’s pockets. It reads 7:52. Seems you’ve got an hour and a half to yourself. You slip out of the bed and stand up. As you do, there is a rattling of metal as something falls to the floor. You look down and see a key ring holding three keys. Two are fine-crafted iron, worn with use. The third is much smaller and thinner, with teeth like a saw blade. Where did these come from?

[ ] Leave the keys on the floor
[ ] Take the keys with you

After that…
[ ] Put on the suit
[ ] Put on your old clothes

After that…
[ ] Return to your room
[ ] Explore the library
[ ] Try the keys in locked doors (if you have them)
[ ] Find Sakuya; chat for a while
[ ] Stay close to the dining hall
[ ] A different destination? (Write-in)

====================

A pox upon the reliance of modern technology! I have been informed that the Internet connection to my domicile has been accidentally damaged, and currently write to you via a public computing laboratory. While the company providing said Internet tells me they shall send a representative to repair it on Thursday, my thoughts are skeptical. I shall make every effort to continue updating as normal, but until my dwelling place is reconnected, expect minor delays. That is all.

>> No. 19824
>The third is much smaller and thinner, with teeth like a saw blade.

A modern key?


[X] Take the keys with you
[X] Put on the suit

I feel like a schmuck for some reason.

[X] Return to your room

My journal needs to be updated.
>> No. 19825
[X] Take the keys with you
[X] Put on the suit
[X] Explore the library
>> No. 19828
[ ] Take the keys with you
[ ] Put on the suit
[ ] Go to moeling!
>> No. 19832
[X] Take the keys with you
[X] Put on the suit
[X] Explore the library

this looks good~
>> No. 19834
Today shall be a day most unpleasant for me: I will not even have the chance to look at a computer screen until 6 P.M. Eastern American Time. I foresee that all my Wednesdays shall be as such in the near future. Vote away, good people, vote away...
>> No. 19843
[X] Take the keys with you
Yoink!

After that…

[X] Put on your old clothes
Don't want to dirty them exploring the mansion. Let's put them on later.

After that…

[X] Explore the library
[X] Chat with whoever you find on the way
>> No. 19848
I guess that was the other guest? Same manner of speaking.

[x] Take the keys with you
[x] Put on the suit; check pockets
[x] Return to your room
[x] Update, hide journal
[x] Check room for clues; check pockets of the clothes in the closet
[x] Inventory

What we should've done before.
>> No. 19850
[x] Take the keys with you
[x] Put on the suit
[x] Return to your room
[x] Journal
[x] Go to explore the library
>> No. 19852
>>19848
agreed.

[x] Take the keys with you
[x] Put on the suit; check pockets
[x] Return to your room
[x] Update, hide journal
[x] Check room for clues; check pockets of the clothes in the closet
[x] Inventory
>> No. 19855
Remember how in /sdm/LA we didn't go through our stuff until like the second day? Good times.

[x] Take the keys with you
[x] Put on the suit; check pockets
[x] Return to your room
[x] Update, hide journal
[x] Check room for clues; check pockets of the clothes in the closet
[x] Inventory
>> No. 19856
[x] Take the keys with you
[x] Put on the suit; check pockets
[x] Return to your room
[x] Update, hide journal
[x] Check room for clues; check pockets of the clothes in the closet
[x] Inventory

Need to take care of that journal, we've gotten a lot to write about and a bit over an hour to do so.
>> No. 19861
[Take the keys with you]
[Put on the suit; check the pockets]
[Return to your room]
[Write in & hide journal, search the room & clothes for clues, check possessions]

Wherever these keys came from, or whoever put them here, you’d be remiss if you didn’t take advantage of their existence. At worst they’ll be a nice souvenir, and at best they might open some of the many locked doors in this mansion. You scoop them up and put them in the pocket of the suit pants.

If you’re going to be dining with the Mistress (about time you met your hostess!), best to change now and be prepared for dinner no matter what you choose to do with your time. You peel the blood-crusted wrappings off of your body, and for the first time realize just how close you were to death. You arms house four wounds apiece, your neck has two, and there’s no fewer than a dozen peppering your torso, some of which you’re sure punctured vital organs. Your face turns red as you realize that there are three more scars near your thighs and groin, and your decency was not preserved to bandage them. Shoving the image of Sakuya seeing you naked out of your mind, you take the suit off its peg and begin to clothe yourself.

It’s a bit trickier than you expected, as there’s several layers of clothes that have to be put on and buttoned in specific order, a task you’re not very used to. Nevertheless, you manage to puzzle it out without too much trouble, and you’re soon looking as elegant as you’ve ever been. The clothes are tight and confining, but fairly comfortable, like being tucked into bed by your parents. Out of curiosity you check the pockets of the clothes, remembering the pen you found in your previous pair of pants. You find a comb, but nothing else save for the keys and pocket-watch you already knew were there.

Not wishing to waste your valuable alone time, you exit the room and begin walking back to your own. It’s seemed ages since you’ve been there, and with all that has happened so far, you really want to write your thoughts down someplace solid.

The walk back isn’t very difficult. The recuperation room was one of those locked doors on the first floor, not far from the kitchen, and finding your bearings from there is simple. You pass a maid or two on your way, but they don’t acknowledge your presence, even when you say, “Good evening.”

Finally you reach your room and step inside. Everything looks just like it was when you left. It’s hard to believe you were only here maybe ten hours ago. You have a sudden urge for privacy, and experimentally try the three keys on your door lock. No good. You feel silly putting the small key into the keyhole, knowing it obviously won’t work. Even in books you’ve never seen a key that looks like this; what could it possibly unlock?

Without the security a locked door brings, you resolve to simply keep an open eye, and ear, on the door. You drag your pack over to the desk and withdraw the pen and your journal. As you open the book, a letter falls out of it. Strange, you never put anything like that in here…

The letter is fairly large and made of thick, creamy paper. There is no address or signature, only a message on the front, written in a thick, loopy hand:

For when thy need arises

Was this meant for you? Whoever put it here must have meant it for a specific purpose at a specific time, but you can’t decipher either at the moment. The wax seal is unbroken, but you don’t recognize the insignia on it, or if it even is an insignia.

Suddenly your mind hits you with inspiration. The pen, the keys, the letter, all of them fell into your hands mysteriously, but most certainly purposefully. It can only mean one thing: an ally. Someone inside this mansion is helping you, or at least thinks you need help. And this someone clearly doesn’t want to be discovered. You think of who it might be, but you simply don’t know enough about the people here to make any guesses.

Wondering if there are any other hidden secrets, you begin to search the room. You start with the obvious places: looking in the drawers, under furniture, in the spare clothes, and then move onto more discrete ones. You pull back all the bed sheets and feel around the mattress for lumps. You tap the floors and walls, checking for hollow spaces. You look closely at all the objects in the room, from every angle, seeing if there’s a hidden cache somewhere to a secret compartment. When everything you can think of has been exhausted, you lie on the floor, contemplating.

Your search was overzealous, but not completely useless. There were no hidden secrets that you could find, though you picked up a few more odds and ends around the room. You spread everything you can lay claim to on the floor, looking it over.

From your pack you have:
+A compass. It’s crudely made, but very trustworthy.
+A thick diary. One day its pages will be full of adventures…
+A coin pouch. Contains all the money you own…which isn’t much.
+A fountain pen. Discovered earlier in a pair of spare pants.

On your person you have:
+A crisp black suit. You’re supposed to wear it to dinner tonight.
+A ring holding three keys. What secrets might they unlock?
+A small silver pocket-watch. Tick, tick, tick. It reads 8:25.
+A comb. Smooth and polished, good for looking like a gentleman.

Newly discovered you have:
+A letter. “For when thy need arises”.
+A letter opener. Long and thin, almost like a knife (found in a desk drawer).
+A pair of broken spectacles. The frames are bent, one lens is missing, and the other is cracked (found in a shirt pocket).

It seems that you’ve only added mysteries to your life, not removed them. The only thing left to do right now is write; write until your thoughts are empty. You pull off the pen cap and begin to put your mind to paper. The ink is an elegant dark red, and serves its purpose well. You write down anything and everything you can think of about the past week of your life. The pages of your journal slowly turn, one by one, as you put to paper your feelings, your hopes, your suspicions. Whatever might happen to you now, at least this journal will stand firm.

With a diary so full of mysteries, you deem it best to keep it hidden. Remembering how you hid things as a child, you grab the letter opener and begin to slowly poke an opening into the back of your mattress. Pulling some of the stuffing out, you make a little cave for your book, and cover it up again with the removed stuffing, pulling the bedsheet back down. Perfectly safe.

You check the pocket-watch. 9:14. Hmm, not quite enough time to do any more exploring. What else is there to do?

[ ] Go to dinner early
[ ] ??? (Write in the write-in!)

====================

I removed my old update and re-posted it, as the gap in post numbers state. This is partially because of a few glaring errors I discovered afterwards, and partially because I wanted to test the method of deleting old posts. Like clockwork, both my aims have been achieved.
>> No. 19862
[X] Go to dinner early

Good job hiding the diary in the bed. Hiding things makes us suspicious and I think the beds are made every morning in the SDM. Why don't we just take it along to dinner and have Sakuya read it to Remi?
>> No. 19863
>>19861
[X] Give yourself a once over with the comb you found.

We probably have bed head.
>> No. 19868
[X] Give yourself a once over with the comb you found.

>>19862

Why so paranoid? U. N. Owen did warn us to be careful, but it's not like this is MiG.
>> No. 19874
[x] Give yourself a once-over with the comb you found.
[x] Claim it was Miss Scarlet, in the Dining Room, with the Candlestick.
>> No. 19876
[X] Give yourself a once over with the comb you found.
>> No. 19878
>>19862
Why so negative?

[x] Give yourself a once over with the comb you found.
[x] Lick the tip of the fountain pen; make sure it's really ink.
[x] Open the letter with the letter opener.

"For when the need arises" refers to the thing inside the letter, not the letter itself; how are we going to know when we need it if we don't know what it is?
>> No. 19879
>>19878
>>"For when the need arises" refers to the thing inside the letter, not the letter itself; how are we going to know when we need it if we don't know what it is?

I dispute this interpretation of that line. Opening the envelope is like breaking the glass to get the fire-extinguisher and carrying it around until we happen to find a fire.
>> No. 19880
>>19879
>I dispute this interpretation of that line. Opening the envelope is like breaking the glass to get the fire-extinguisher and carrying it around until we happen to find a fire.

Except with the fire extinguisher, you know exactly what's in the glass, how it's used, what it's used for, and when you need to use it. We don't know any of that with the letter.
>> No. 19881
File 122117697081.jpg - (9.88KB , 173x308 , in case of zombies.jpg ) [iqdb]
19881
>>19879

Maybe if said glass was completely opaque and the sign above it read "in case of _____ break glass" that would would be an appropriate analogy.
>> No. 19886
[ ] Give yourself a once-over with the comb you found

You gaze absentmindedly at the objects presented on the ground, thinking about what to do next. There’s really not enough time to puzzle over any of it, though you’d certainly like to. Your eyes stop on the comb you discovered earlier, and pat your head experimentally. Definitely tangled and matted; you shutter at what you hair looks like right now, probably the only part of your body that wasn’t cared about during your near-death experience. You return all your original possessions back to your pack, replace the letter opener and spectacles where you found them, and hold onto the rest. You consider for a moment, then decide to hide the letter back in your journal. Hopefully “thy need” won’t be arising too soon, and in this case you think perhaps the best place to hide it is in the most obvious one.

You grab the comb on your way out of your quarters, and head for the nearest washroom. Once inside you wet the comb on the faucet and wage war on the chaos which has become your hair. You’re definitely glad you considered this; image if you entered the dining hall with a crisp suit but hair that looked like you just rolled out of bed! It takes a bit of time, but you manage to bring you locks back into order.

Without any warning the door creaks open, and you spin around startled, expecting Sakuya to warn you about being late or looking shabby. Except, there’s no Sakuya in the doorway; just that Nathanial man you met earlier in the morning. He’s dressed in brown suit pants and shiny black shoes, with a white button down shirt underneath a white vest. Slung over his arm is a crimson suit coat and what appears to be white lace. As before, his face looks exhausted, but he’s recently shaved and washed, which helps greatly.

“Oh, excuse me!” he says, not expecting to see you. “Didn’t think anyone would be in here.” He makes motions to leave, but you tell him it’s fine. You could use some company right now, anyone besides Sakuya, and especially another man. Even though he might as well be a complete stranger, he’s in the same position you are; a guest in the house…an equal.

“Sorry to butt in like this; needed a mirror to fix these ruffles, and there’s none in my room.” He steps up to the counter beside you and starts threading loops from the lace into the buttons on his shirt. He starts to make idle conversation with you as he works.”

“Guess I didn’t really introduce myself this morning. I’m Nathaniel.”

“Pleasure to meet you,” you respond.

“So…dinner with the Mistress tonight, is it?” He asks the question like it’s rhetorical. “Last time it was just me and her. Tonight I’ve heard she’s invited Miss Meiling and Miss Knowledge as well. Must be because there’s two guests in the house for once.”

You recall Meiling as a name you know, but “Knowledge” only brings up a blank. You inquire further.

“Forgive me, Nathaniel. Who is Miss Knowledge?”

“Oh, of course, you wouldn’t know, would you? Sorry, I keep forgetting you’re new here; I’m fairly scatterbrained, as you can probably tell. Miss Patchouli Knowledge is a permanent tenant here at the mansion, though she rarely leaves the library. I doubt she’ll honor the dinner invitation, though.”

He remains quiet for a while, fiddling with the “ruffles”. Now might be a good time to get some of your nagging questions answered without pestering Sakuya. Then again, who’s to say Nathaniel will be any better in the long run?

[ ] Remain silent
[ ] Leave the washroom now
[ ] Ask up to three questions. Write-ins only.

====================

A shorter segment tonight, for I am tired and wish to sleep. While I would say more, it would be little better than wind blowing up unnecessary dust, therefore I shall refrain.

>Claim it was Miss Scarlet, in the Dining Room, with the Candlestick.
You play a dangerous game, putting such ideas into my head. Let us hope I am sane enough not to defile my story with them.

>Lick the tip of the fountain pen; make sure it's really ink.
You lie dangerously close to “Out-Of-Character” knowledge here. Normal people would not lick a red ink pen to see if the ink is actually blood.
>> No. 19887
[x] "Miss Izayoi said you came here a week ago; how long do you project you'll be staying as a guest of this mansion?"
[x] "She said you were an inventor of sorts?"
[x] "Why do you think Miss Scarlet is so... emphatic in her hospitality?"
>> No. 19888
>>19886
[X] Ask up to three questions. Write-ins only.
1.) As a fellow 'temporary' resident of these halls, is there anything you know about the more 'permanent' residents of this household?
2.) What, pray tell, are you presently occupied with that would warrant your continued presence in the mansion?
3.) Excuse my absurdly invasive inquaries, but is there anything I should know about the Mistress of this keep before our first meeting?

Oh lawd, you have no idea how many more questions I have pertinent to my personal goal of nailing Patchouli to the wall, but I will forego these for the sake of the "greater good."
>> No. 19889
[X] Ask up to three questions. Write-ins only.
1.) As a fellow 'temporary' resident of these halls, is there anything you know about the more 'permanent' residents of this household?
2.) What, pray tell, are you presently occupied with that would warrant your continued presence in the mansion?
3.) Excuse my absurdly invasive inquaries, but is there anything I should know about the Mistress of this keep before our first meeting?

hah, too lazy to make my own questions so i'll use yours

my goal is also to nail patchouli to the wall btw
>> No. 19890
[X] Ask up to three questions. Write-ins only.
1.) As a fellow 'temporary' resident of these halls, is there anything you know about the more 'permanent' residents of this household?
2.) What, pray tell, are you presently occupied with that would warrant your continued presence in the mansion?
3.) Excuse my absurdly invasive inquaries, but is there anything I should know about the Mistress of this keep before our first meeting?

These are good. I'd prefer Sakuya as a target myself, but a Patchu is fine too.
>> No. 19891
>>19888
>personal goal of nailing Patchouli to the wall
This most colorful turn of phrase is disturbingly pleasant to picture in my mind.
>> No. 19893
[x] "Miss Izayoi said you came here a week ago; how long do you project you'll be staying as a guest of this mansion?"
[x] "She said you were an inventor of sorts?"
[x] "Why do you think Miss Scarlet is so... emphatic in her hospitality?"
>> No. 19895
>>19891
gb2/somewhere else/ mugenjohncel :V

[X] Ask up to three questions.
1.) As a fellow 'temporary' resident of these halls, is there anything you know about the more 'permanent' residents of this household?
2.) What, pray tell, are you presently occupied with that would warrant your continued presence in the mansion?
3.) Excuse my absurdly invasive inquaries, but is there anything I should know about the Mistress of this keep before our first meeting?

>>19890
I'm a large fan of Meiling, so if I had to get a target, I'd go for Meiling.
>> No. 19900
Though a definitive answer has not exactly reached five counts yet, I wish to update the story before my classes for the day begin. Let us continue…

====================

[Ask up to three questions]
[“As a fellow 'temporary' resident of these halls, is there anything you know about the more 'permanent' residents of this household?”]
[“What, pray tell, are you presently occupied with that would warrant your continued presence in the mansion?”]
[“Excuse my absurdly invasive inquaries, but is there anything I should know about the Mistress of this keep before our first meeting?”]

The most pertinent inquiry to you right now is finding out more about the mansion’s permanent residents, especially the Mistress. If you’re going to be staying here any length of time, it’d certainly be beneficial to learn the personalities of your neighbors.

You begin your conversation anew. “As a fellow 'temporary' resident of these halls, is there anything you know about the more 'permanent' residents of this household?

“Permanent residents, eh?” He stops buttoning up his ruffles and looks up, thinking. “Well, I know a little. Who do you want me to start with?”

“Perhaps Miss Knowledge. I know the least about her, never having had the pleasure of meeting her in person.”

“Well, I can help you a lot there. Been spending most of my time in the library, and that’s where she spends most of hers. Likes to keep me company. But anyways…

“Patchouli Knowledge is an old friend of the Mistress; I’m not sure how far back they go, but it’s quite a ways. She might as well be the librarian of the mansion for how often she leaves that room; she even made up her bed in there. Personality-wise, umm, reserved. Very reserved. Like ‘could sit next to her all day and she won’t say a word’ reserved. She’s not exactly anti-social, just…I don’t know, it’s kind of hard to explain. Try to talk to her and you’ll see what I mean.

“Also, I should probably tell you this right now: she’s a magician. Do you believe in magic?”

You resist the urge to tell him exactly how well you believe in “magic” after this morning, and simply say “Yes.”

“Well, good,” he continues, “because practically everyone in this mansion has some special trick hidden up their sleeve. Don’t take anyone at face value around here, or you’ll regret it. Take Miss Patchouli for example. She’s both asthmatic and anemic, stays inside reading for years like a hermit, wears poofy pajamas all day, and yet I bet she could kill you over nine thousand different ways.”

His blunt way of discussing death is unsettling to hear; he did that during breakfast, too. He talks about it like it’s no different than tying your shoe or falling down stairs. You want to tell him to show a little tact, but he’s already moved on.

“Next we’ve got Hong Meiling, head of the outdoor guard. Probably the first person you saw coming here. Never really talked to her much; she’s always on-duty outside, and I’m too busy working inside. Compared to everyone else around here she’s pretty normal, likes to joke around and take it easy every now and then, but she’s iron clad as far as guarding that gate goes. She’s also some kind of martial-arts expert, and she can fly, too. Come to think of it, I’m pretty sure everyone can fly around here. Hope that isn’t too unsettling; you get used to it after a while.”

His words make you realize just how fast “you got used to it”. You came here in the night, witnessed a freezing flying girl almost get kicked into oblivion by a fighting flying girl, and less than twenty-four hours later you’re playing it off like it’s no big deal. You wonder if your mind got rattled somewhere along the way.

He pauses for a moment to button another ruffle to his chest, then keeps going. “And of course you’ve met Sakuya Izayoi. Head maid of the house, takes care of all the big chores like providing for the guests. From what Patchouli’s told me she has the power of time manipulation, or something to that effect. Whatever it is, she can do day-long tasks in the blink of your eye; definitely helps in a place as big as this. All business, Miss Sakuya is, all business. Never once saw her drop that perfect, elegant demeanor she’s always carrying; pretty spooky if you ask me. You try and talk to her, but all you get is, “I do not believe ‘chatting’ with you is the best use of my time, sir. I have work to do.” Pssh, like time means anything to her.” He ticks off his fingers, counting something. “And I think that’s about it. Just those three in here, aside from all the maids, and if you’ve ever tried to talk to them you know what I mean when I say they aren’t worth your time.”

You nod, but easily realize he’s left someone very important out of his list.

“Excuse my absurdly invasive inquiries, but I believe you have omitted the Mistress of this house in your list. As we will be dining with her shortly, is there anything I should know before our first meeting?”

Nathaniel snaps his fingers in realization. “Ah! You’re right, how could I forget? There I go again, always so forgetful I’ll misplace my own name one of these days. But besides that…” he trails off, seemingly in an attempt to create an air of majesty. It doesn’t really work.

“The Head of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, Miss Remilia Scarlet. Our gracious hostess for the time we stay here. I’ve met her even less than Meiling, but one meeting is really all it takes. She is a great lover of elegance and lavishness, as the mansion easily dictates. She appears proper on the outside, but enjoys idle chit-chat and simple pleasures like you or I. She is gracious, but not exactly kind; egotistical, but not exactly big-headed; possessive, but not exactly selfish.

“When you dine with her, simply be yourself. She brings in guests from all walks of life because she enjoys different kinds of company. Do not be rude, but feel free to ask questions, as long as you do not press any particular subject too hard. Indulge her if she asks, but show that you have a spine. You may refuse her politely, but accept her wishes if she inquires further. Finally, do not make any comment on her appearance, not even to compliment it. Keep all this in mind, and your evening will be most pleasant.”

His ruffles finally attached properly, he buttons up his suit coat and looks himself over in the mirror. The very image of a gentleman in your mind, if his face weren’t so stressed. He checks his own pocket-watch, one identical to yours, and gives a little start.

“9:25! Light, I’ve nearly taken too long! You can continue this conversation if you wish, but we’ll have to walk together if you do. I’d like to be early rather than on time.” You follow him out of the bathroom, trying to keep up with his upbeat stride, and continue the conversation as he suggested.

(This segment, it shall continue...)
>> No. 19901
(...And now, let it conclude)

“What, pray tell, are you presently occupied with that would warrant your continued presence in the mansion?” you ask.

“Oh, didn’t Sakuya tell you?” he replies, looking over his shoulder at you. “Maybe not. I am in possession of an antique pocket-watch that was most badly damaged. Hearing that this mansion has such a tremendous library, I sought it out to find a book or two on watch repair. I’ve taken advantage of the other books in Miss Patchouli’s collection as well, and find time for other side projects when the watch doesn’t warrant my full attention.”

You nod your head, but his reasoning doesn’t exactly make sense. If he has a broken watch, couldn’t someone else fix it for him? You make your question known. “Why couldn’t you have just found a watchmaker somewhere else? Surely an expert could repair the watch better than an amateur, even with books.”

He holds out his hand and stops you instantly, looking you square in the eye, rock-solid determination in his face. Wasn’t he in such a rush to get to dinner?

“There are three types of people in this world, good sir. Only three.” His voice is hard and cold, like a judge, or perhaps an executioner. The instant change in tone is haunting. “There are Creators, there are Users, and there are Destroyers.

“A Creator seeks to make from nothing, something. His mind pieces together a concept, an idea, a dream. With his skill he moves the idea from brain to paper, from paper to model, and from model to product. And when his work is complete, he strives to improve it, to refine it, to master it, for the good of the future and for others. The world needs Creators.

“A User seeks to make from something, something. He takes up the products a Creator has made, and puts them to good work. Though he has not the mind to make or design, he can achieve great things by using the objects he finds in his life. Kingdoms and nations are powered upon the backs of men such as these. The world needs Users.

“A Destroyer seeks to make from something, nothing. He will hoard up the products of the Creator and the work of the User, and gorge upon them for his own purposes. He cannot think or work, or chooses not to. Through his selfishness he will continue to take and take, never giving back, until there is nothing left. The world does not need Destroyers.

“I am a Creator. Not a User, not a Destroyer, but a Creator. Don’t ever assume anything else. What then, are you?”

[ ] A Creator
[ ] A User
[ ] A Destroyer
[ ] Remain silent
>> No. 19905
>I bet she could kill you over nine thousand different ways.
>perfect, elegant demeanor

Oh, you.

[X] A User

As an adventurer, aren't we pretty much a User?
>> No. 19906
[x] Remain silent

I think this is the kind of question you can't, or shouldn't, answer immediately. For the sake of drama, we need to let this simmer for now, ponder it over the night while reflecting upon our lives, and then give Nathaniel a very clear, definite answer the next day. Unless he dies, lol. Then this will be our "With great power comes great responsibility"
>> No. 19911
[x] Remain silent

There are two kinds of people in this world, the kind who think the world can be easily divided into kinds of people and kind who do not.

Show some backbone, Anonymous.
>> No. 19913
[+] "That's a question whose answer I'd like to know, myself. Perhaps, with some soul-searching, it will come to me."
>> No. 19914
[x] "To be short, I don't agree with so polarizing and fatalistic a worldview, Mr. Nathaniel, so whatever answer I could give would be quite meaningless."
[x] "And yet, I think it's better one draws his own conclusions on another's character, rather than taking another's word on it."

Throw his question back at him while implicitly rejecting his own self-description.

Yeah, this will do.
>> No. 19916
>>19895
>gb2/somewhere else/ mugenjohncel :V

Quack.

Also, I assure you I meant it in a purely lewd and lasciviously figurative manner. I do not enjoy the spilling of blood in any mentally unhealthy way.
>> No. 19917
{X} "To be short, I don't agree with so polarizing and fatalistic a worldview, Mr. Nathaniel, so whatever answer I could give would be quite meaningless."
{X} "And yet, I think it's better one draws his own conclusions on another's character, rather than taking another's word on it."
>> No. 19921
[x] "To be short, I don't agree with so polarizing and fatalistic a worldview, Mr. Nathaniel, so whatever answer I could give would be quite meaningless."
[x] "And yet, I think it's better one draws his own conclusions on another's character, rather than taking another's word on it."

excellent
>> No. 19928
[x] "To be short, I don't agree with so polarizing and fatalistic a worldview, Mr. Nathaniel, so whatever answer I could give would be quite meaningless."
[x] "And yet, I think it's better one draws his own conclusions on another's character, rather than taking another's word on it."
>> No. 19929
[x] "To be short, I don't agree with so polarizing and fatalistic a worldview, Mr. Nathaniel, so whatever answer I could give would be quite meaningless."
[x] "And yet, I think it's better one draws his own conclusions on another's character, rather than taking another's word on it."
>> No. 19931
[X] "No gods or kings, Mr. Nathaniel. Only men."
>> No. 19932
[Respond differently. "To be short, I don't agree with so polarizing and fatalistic a worldview, Mr. Nathaniel, so whatever answer I could give would be quite meaningless…And yet, I think it's better one draws his own conclusions on another's character, rather than taking another's word on it."]

Only three types of people? You’re no philosopher, but in your mind there’s thousands of types of people. You can’t just lump everyone into a simple “A, B, or C” system and call it good. Personal quirks and trend-breaking are exactly the sort of traits that make people people, and not some kind of animal. You look Nathaniel in the eyes, take a deep breath, and prepare to challenge him on his own grounds.

“To be short, Mr. Nathaniel, I don’t agree with such a polarizing and fatalistic worldview. The world we live in is hardly as black and white as you make it out to be. Whatever answer I could give would be quite meaningless, both to you and to me.”

He doesn’t respond, doesn’t change his expression, doesn’t do anything. You press on even further.

“I think, perhaps, that it’s better if one draws his own conclusions on another’s character, rather than taking someone else’s word on it. Perhaps it would be more useful to you if you judged me by your standards in your own due time, rather than forcing me to judge myself by them in an instant.”

After another brief period of cold stares he backs away, a contemplative grin on his face.

“Well put, friend, well put,” he replies. “Apologies on my intrusion, I didn’t mean to impose my beliefs upon you. It is just my opinion that if you really care about something, whether it be a toy or the life of a friend, you should care for it by your own hand, with your own skill, rather than trust the skill of another. That broken pocket-watch means very much to me, and I trust no one’s touch with it but my own. It was by my hand that it was created, and it should be by my hand that it is improved.”

The tension slowly leaves the atmosphere between the two of you, and you quickly hustle down the stairs to the dining hall. However, Nathaniel doesn’t stop at the doors you entered for breakfast, but keeps going on several more. Assuming he has the right idea you follow him, and realize that he’s going into the master dining room, one you visited but didn’t eat in.

The master dining room is to the regular one what a gold bar is to a gold coin. In essence they’re the same thing with the same purpose, but a gold bar is simply bigger, richer, more full of substance. It’s easily the size of a small ball room, which is odd considering the table’s size doesn’t merit such a grand space. The amenities are lavished in rich motifs of gold and scarlet, the tapestries lining the walls painted with the hand of an expert’s expert. The wood floor and furniture is finished and polished to a mirror shine, and the carpet and tablecloth atop them is more intricately woven than even an optimist would deem possible. Shining silver tableware rests upon the dining surface, with giant domes protecting your predictably delicious feast. Scents too glorious to contemplate tickle your nose, and you remember hungrily that you haven’t eaten since breakfast.

Sakuya is standing near the door, one arm held in front of her, a white cloth draped over it like a waitress. You think her uniform might be a different one than before. The blue is richer, the white more pure, the lace more intricate. You simply can’t find any other way to describe her than the way Nathaniel described her to you: The perfect, elegant maid.

“Good evening, gentlemen,” she says, not an iota of professionalism missing. “On behalf of the Mistress, I welcome you to dinner. Please, be seated.” She motions her hand towards the table, bowing as she does. You walk besides Nathaniel, straining to keep your posture as good as his.

As you approach the table, you realize that someone is already seated at it. Miss Meiling is sitting casually, looking off into the distance. Once she sees the two of you standing near her, however, she stands up in surprise, or perhaps respect. You’re not really sure how “dining room etiquette” works just yet; hopefully you don’t screw up too badly tonight.

“Oh, um, hello! Good evening!” she greets hurriedly. She looks positively stunning. Whereas Miss Sakuya seems to be dressed for business, Meiling is definitely dressed for elegance. She’s wearing an emerald green sleeveless dress that fans out below her and shows off her feminine curves. Her hair is unbraided and has been combed straight until it glistens like rivulets of the purest wine running down her smooth shoulders. Pinned near her right ear is a gold star like the one she wears on her cap, but much richer and with a different character on it. All in all, you barely recognize her as the same sleepy, back talking gate guard you first met what seems like so long ago. If someone asked you to show them beauty, this woman standing before you would not be far from the embodiment of the word.

“I suppose you both should take a seat, I expect the Mistress will be here soon,” she continues, seeming slightly out of her area of expertise.

Nathaniel tips his head and motions you forwards first. You glace quickly at the seating arrangement. There are five places set at the table; two on either side, and one at the head. All of them seem to be equally prepared. Miss Meiling already occupies the seat furthest from the head on the side opposite you.

[ ] Sit across from Meiling
[ ] Sit next to Meiling
[ ] Sit diagonal to Meiling
[ ] Sit at the head
>> No. 19933
[Q] Sit across from Meiling
>> No. 19934
[x] Sit across from Meiling
>> No. 19935
[ ] Sit at the head <--- Instant (horrible death) Bad End.
So...
[x] Sit across from Meiling
>> No. 19936
[X] Sit across from Meiling
>> No. 19938
[x] Sit across from Meiling

Proper seating arrangement at a dinner party is boy-girl boy-girl, so you'll do well as long as you don't sit diagonal of her.
>> No. 19939
>>19938

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2325931
>> No. 19940
{X} Sit across from Meiling
>> No. 19941
>>19939
Slowmachi's lazy dancing made me smile
>> No. 19942
>>19916
I knew you did, it's all in good fun.

[x] Sit across from Meiling
>> No. 19945
[+] Sit next to Meiling
>> No. 19946
[x] Sit next to Meiling

Shouldn't we be sitting closer to Remi?
>> No. 19948
>>19946

Given that couples sit across from each other and that Mr. Nathaniel seems rather attached to Patchouli, we should allow him this much. Meiling is a better conversation partner for us, and if Patchouli does indeed decide not to show, her vacancy leaves Remilia a clear view of us anyway.
>> No. 19949
>>19932
[X] Sit across from Meiling

This is all sorts of... appropriate.
>> No. 19950
>“Well put, friend, well put,” he replies.
>if you really care about something, whether it be a toy or the life of a friend, you should care for it by your own hand, with your own skill, rather than trust the skill of another.

Well that explains his rather heavy-handed approach towards the main character. Reading between the lines, this is as good a vouchsafe of alliance as you'll get.

[x] Sit across from Meiling
>> No. 19952
[x] Sit across from Meiling

Meiling~
>> No. 19954
[Sit across from Meiling]

You pull back the chair opposite Meiling and seat yourself. Nathaniel circles around and takes the seat next to her. With nothing else to do until your hostess arrives, you begin to talk.

“It’s a pleasure to see you again, Miss Meiling,” you say. “I assume the Mistress has given you the evening off of work, then?”

“What? Oh, yes,” she replies distractedly. “The other guards can handle the gate for one night. I suppose it’s not every day that we get two guests staying here; she must want to give you a special welcome. By the way…” she stalls again, slightly reluctant to ask the question. “Are you, are you hurting much? I heard about what happened with you and Cirno this morning.”

You try and play the injuries down like they didn’t almost kill you. “I’m quite well, miss. Nothing that won’t go away over time, I’m sure. Ms. Izayoi gave me a concoction that increased my recovery twenty times over, and for that I am most grateful.”

“Yes, yes, I heard about that myself,” Nathaniel comments, folding his hands in his lap. “That medicine must’ve come strait from the Eientei Clinic, too. You’re quite lucky there’s such a prestigious doctor living ‘round this area, otherwise your outlook wouldn’t be so sunny. Miss Patchouli did all she could on the spot, but I believe healing is not one of her strong suits.”

You resist the urge to ask about the Eientei Clinic and simply give an acknowledging nod towards him.

There is a short period of awkward silence, after which Meiling addresses Nathaniel. “So, uhh, Mr. Nathaniel, how is that watch going?”

“It is ‘going’, for lack of a better term. The mechanisms inside were far more broken than I originally thought when I came here. I wish I had the focus to work on it all day without rest, but as it is I am constantly being distracted by my own mind. Not in vain, mind you; I’ve made fair progress on other projects of mine as well, but I believe the watch will still occupy me for at least three days more.”

Her eyes light up with another question. “Ah! How about those chess games with Patchouli? Still trying your best, I hope?”

Nathaniel chuckles and shakes his head. “Miss, even if I spent all my time and power at that board, ‘trying’ is the highest I could ever hope for against such an opponent as Miss Knowledge. As it rests, she has won thirty games to my two, and I doubt I’ll muster another win in my time here.”

“But you did get those two wins before, didn’t you?”

“Miss Patchouli and I both know I won the first game out of pure pity, though she won’t openly admit to such an action. As for the second, it was a high risk strategy that hinged on an impossible series of five moves that just so happened to pay off. She’s been playing more cautiously ever since, and the best I’ll get from her now is a stalemate.”

Chess, is it? You remember playing quite a bit back home. You were pretty good, but Nathaniel sounds better, and he’s losing thirty to two against Miss Patchouli? You almost want to play her in a game, just to see if he’s telling the truth.

As Nathaniel’s words fade upon the air, Sakuya speaks up from across the room, more or less giving an official statement. “May I present to you the Mistress of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, Lady Remilia Tepes-Scarlet.”

The two others immediately rise from the table out of respect, and you quickly follow suit, spinning around to face the door. For the first time, like opening a door that has been closed for years, you gaze upon the elusive Mistress.

If Sakuya is business, and Meiling is elegance, Miss Scarlet must be refinement. The way she carries herself, the way her hands are folded in front of her, even the way she looks around the room, all radiate the essence of the word “proper”. The first thing you notice about her, however, is her size. She is remarkably short, at least a head and a half shorter than Sakuya if not more, and her stature is the small form of a child barely older than ten. The second thing you notice about her is her wings. Unlike the spider-silk fairy wings of the maids, or the crystalline wings of Cirno, Lady Remilia’s wings are large and black like some mythic creature, folded behind her in the semblance of an odd cape. Whether they are simply for show, or a product of this strange magical island, the effect is daunting.

She is garbed in a complex dress of pink and scarlet, with intricate lace and ribbons along every hem and sleeve. In a similar style upon her head rests a fluffy cap, almost like a nightcap, with a lavish scarlet bow tied on the side. Her wavy hair is, in the odd-colored fashion of Sakuya and Cirno, a pale blue-lavender color, just barely touching her shoulders. The skin of her face is pale yet full, like cream or satin. But the eyes…if eyes could speak for a person, Mistress Scarlet would need nothing but them. They are a deep, bold red, like blood, and even at a glance you can tell that they possess the wisdom of generations. If the wings put the idea into your head, the eyes removed all doubt: she’s a youkai.

She glides effortlessly to the table with Sakuya following, and places herself at the head, the only worthy position for one like her. Her wings seem to have no impediment on her ability to sit in a high-backed chair, and blossom out behind her like an ebony cloak. Everyone else takes their seats.

Sakuya now address the dinner party, Miss Remilia in particular. “Now that we are all seated, may I start you off with some wine, Mistress?”

She responds with a rich, simpering voice that seems out of place with her appearance, but perfect for her demeanor. “Yes, the Western ’42 tonight, I think. Aged magnificently, that one; perfect for meeting new friends.”

“An excellent choice, my Lady. And for you, master Nathanial?”

“Mmm, I believe I will sample the Cabernet Sauvignon this evening. ’37 if you have it.”

“I’m certain we do sir, a fine pick. Miss Meiling?”

She snaps out of her daze again, mind definitely on something else. “Ah, yes, just a champagne, please, any year is good.”

Sakuya nods, then turns to you. “For you, sir?”

You mind skips a few tracks. You have absolutely no idea how to pick a wine, and you certainly don’t know what kinds of wines are proper for a grand dining room. You could just emulate someone else; hopefully that’s not considered tacky. Then again, you think you can recall the name of a wine from the local vineyards: Merlot. Would it be refined enough for this mansion?

[ ] the Western ‘42
[ ] the Cabernet Sauvignon ‘37
[ ] the champagne (don’t specify a year)
[ ] the champagne (make a year up)
[ ] a Merlot (don’t specify a year)
[ ] a Merlot (make a year up)
[ ] Just water
>> No. 19957
Western ‘42 - I never heard of it!
the Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot - lol what a cheap trick, these are the cheapest wines, that we sell for turist ships, so these are the shitiest as well~
champagne would be good, but if Hong Kong chooses it, then it doesn't look like a good option.
WATER- Are you anti-alcoholic??

So we should ask Sakuya:
[X] I would drink some white wine (if you know what I mean) a dry one. The year is up to you Miss Izayoi, I thrust in your decision.

THE MANLIEST WINE!
>> No. 19958
Be Honest.
[x] I am sorry, but I don't know much about Wine. What would you recommend, Miss Izayoi?
>> No. 19959
[X] Château la pompe
>> No. 19960
>>19954
[X] Riesling
...but I doubt our lad here is much of a sommelier, so disregard this if it's too out there. Otherwise:
[X] a Merlot (don’t specify a year)
"Could you recommend a Merlot, Mistress Scarlet?"
I love riesling flat out, so that's my bias showing, but it has some merits in this situation: taste is tolerable to people that don't like wine/alcohol (we don't know this anon's preference yet), the flavor works with just about any meal (we don't know what's being served), and the flavor is usually pretty expressive of where it comes from (learning about SDM through drinkan gaems).

Otherwise, Merlot is a good choice. Best not make an ass of ourselves by making up a year and being called on it. Bonus points for being a red wine.
>> No. 19961
>>19957
> ..., I thrust in your decision.
Yes. I would also like to thrust in her.
>> No. 19962
>>19948
It is with a heavy heart that I concede; you have made an excellent point: The librarian is already being pursued by another, and as much as I desire her, a crimson haired guardian of the mansion's outer portal is acceptable as well.
>> No. 19964
>Merlot. Would it be refined enough for this mansion?

Oh God no. Never order Merlot in front of wine snobs. You may as well be ordering White Zinfandel.

[x] "I'll have the champagne as well."

If we knew what was on the menu, we'd be able to pick something more appropriate, but you can't go wrong with champagne.
>> No. 19967
>>19954
>Lady Remilia Tepes-Scarlet
>Tepes
I uttered an oath, but was unable to progress beyond the first letter for a few seconds.
>> No. 19968
[x] "I'll have the champagne as well."
I cannot stand wine, but better white than red.
>> No. 19972
File 122132835646.jpg - (147.20KB , 409x635 , thread - Decantering.jpg ) [iqdb]
19972
I offer for your viewing pleasure the following wine-related threadlet.
>> No. 19973
[x] I am sorry, but I don't know much about Wine. What would you recommend, Miss Izayoi?


the mistress wants company from all walks of life, its ok to show that we're the son of a farmer
>> No. 19976
{X} “I am sorry, but I do not know much about wine. What would you recommend, Miss Izayoi?”
>> No. 19979
[x] I am sorry, but I don't know much about Wine. What would you recommend, Miss Izayoi?

Only good option.

And U.N.Owen: what would've happened if we had sat at the head of the table? I do think the answer will be rather obvious, but I am curious.
Or are such questions to be left for a later follow-up thread?
>> No. 19980
[X] I am sorry, but I don't know much about wine. What would you recommend, Miss Izayoi?

What >>19973 said.
>> No. 19985
>>19979
ENGAGED TO REMILIA

Or a BAD END.
>> No. 19988
>>19979
While the matter is a relatively minor one, I feel it is not necessary for you to know the precise details of that possible action. Given time, I hope you will discover enough about the mansion to discern for yourselves the consequences of such a decision. However, it would not have lead to a "BAD END" as some would expect.

On a more important note, I must leave to watch a most spectacular film with friends tonight. I shall make a valiant effort to update upon the show's conclusion, but probability dictates my weariness will prolong it until the morrow next. Until then, I bid you good evening.
>> No. 19989
How come this Anon is so educated in the way of etiquete if he's just a farmer?
>> No. 19990
>>19989

Maybe "farmer" as in plantation owner?

Nonetheless, it's already been established by Sakuya that he has good manners. That much is sealed.
>> No. 19991
>>19989
Lets remember the Beginning:

>> Not satisfied with the humble peasant life
>> of a farmer, ..., you said goodbye to your
>> village, the only place in the world you
>> knew anything about.

It cannot be said he knows anything about etiquete. He has just good manners.
But he might, for example, have difficulties using the right Cutlery at the right Time during Dinner.
>> No. 19995
[“I am sorry, but I do not know much about wine. What would you recommend, Miss Izayoi?”]

You can’t do it. You’re no connoisseur, you’re not even a gentleman; you’re an adventurer who used to be a farmer. Pretending to have class seems easy when all you have to do is talk properly and emulate what all the “real” classy people do. But when it boils down to intrinsic decisions about wines, you know that you can’t fake it. Nathaniel told you to “simply be yourself…show that you have a spine.” And if having a spine means looking like a stupid farmboy, then so be it.

“I am sorry, but I do not know much about wine. What would you recommend, Miss Izayoi?”

She certainly wasn’t expecting that, and doesn’t really know what to say. She stands there silently for a second or two before Miss Scarlet pipes up. “Don’t just stare the boy down, Sakuya! Get him a champagne as well; something simple for a man of simple tastes.”

“Of course, Mistress, right away,” she respond quickly, exiting the room in a rush to accommodate her orders.

As the door swings shut behind her, Remilia turns to look at her dining partners. “Now that our chaperone has left, perhaps we can converse more freely. I’ve told Sakuya to try none of her maid tricks tonight; we shall have a proper meal with proper service, and plenty of time to talk with one another.” She shifts her attention to you, her crimson eyes looking you over like a piece of fruit ready to be plucked.

“Now…you,” she begins enigmatically. “You’ve caused quite the stir today with that pesky fairy, haven’t you? Know that I’ll not tolerate your dying on me as long as you’re a guest here. Have you no respect for your hostess?”

You knew that the Mistress wasn’t going to be all-out friendly towards you, but you didn’t expect such an antagonizing remark.

“Many apologies, my Lady,” you reply humbly. “In my confusion upon witnessing such odd displays of magic, I am afraid I acted rather rashly. It shall not happen again.”

She’s still staring at you, thinking over your words. Finally she shakes her head and motions a finger towards you.

“No, no, it won’t do at all; I can’t take it. Stand up!”

You immediately do as she says, afraid of something horrible on the horizon, and not wishing punishment.

“Take off your coat!”

You slip out the buttons from their holes and drape your suit coat over your left forearm.

“Now throw it on the ground!” she commands, face straight and serious.

The advice of Nathaniel floats through your head again. “…refuse her politely, but accept her wishes if she inquires further…” Her demands make no sense at all to you; you’d at least like a sentence of explanation from her.

“…Miss?”

“Do it!” she shouts, hands now folded beneath her chin, watching your every move. You don’t deny her a second time, and toss the coat onto the floor.

“Untuck that shirt!”

What on earth? You’re almost following her instructions out of pure curiosity rather than fear or politeness now. You do what she says, regardless.

“Ruffle that hair!”

The absurdity of the situation has begun to reach Nathaniel and Meiling, and you see them both grinning, enjoying the spectacle you have become. How could they possibly think this is funny?! Your body keeps going through the motions, rubbing your hands violently through your neatly combed hair, even though your brain has begun to shut down, unable to process what is going on.

“Now sit back down and slouch!” Even Remilia’s mouth has begun to curl upwards, though her eyes are still stone-cold serious.

You give up. You shake you head, toss your hands up in the air in defeat, plop down upon your seat, stuff your hands in your pockets, and lounge like you’ve never done a hard day’s work in your life. If you’re going to die, might as well die comfortably.

Amazingly, Remilia’s eyes soften and her body eases back into her chair, smirking. “Now this is the man I invited into my mansion. Not a fool in fine clothes with fine words and fine tastes; just a common, untidy traveler that wanted a place to sleep. Sakuya might be too polite to say anything, but you won’t get that charade past me, so stop acting like a gentleman and start acting like yourself. Am I clear?”

You nod sheepishly. “Yes, Miss Scarlet.”

Remilia next turns to Nathaniel and looks him over the same way as she did you. “Remove those horrid ruffles, Nathaniel; they don’t suit you at all,” she instructs.

He tips his head towards her. “Thank you. I had no great love for them either.”

“And Meiling dear, don’t look so frightened!” Miss Scarlet continues, talking to the gate guard now. “You’re far too good for a little fine dining to put you off.”

“No, M-Mistress, it’s not that…” she replies, stuttering slightly.

A devilish grin creeps over Remilia’s face, and she pries further. “Oh? Could it be that these young men here are, shall we say, distracting you? How long has it been since you’ve had some honest male company? I’m sure they would be only too happy to indulge you, if it will make you feel any better.”

Hong Meiling’s face is beginning to turn as red as her hair, and she slumps low in her chair, obviously embarrassed. “P-Please stop, Miss Remilia.”

Is she actually insinuating what you think she is? You glance over at Nathaniel for any sort of hint or gesture, but his return gaze gives you nothing.

[ ] Ask Miss Scarlet to stop harassing Meiling
[ ] Play along. Ulterior motive: Nothing impure, just friendly banter
[ ] Play along. Ulterior motive: “Indulge” her
[ ] Remain silent
[ ] Change the subject. Talk to (write-in) about (write-in).

Author’s Note: Good write-in embellishments are much encouraged here!
>> No. 19996
[x] Play along. Ulterior motive: Nothing impure, just friendly banter
[x] "Well, Miss Meiling, do you prefer the rustic type? Or is it the learned man you dream of?" Nod to toward Nathaniel. More seriously, "Perhaps, neither. Maybe you've been waiting for someone special... to walk right through that door."

And when Sakuya reenters, hilarity.
>> No. 19997
{Z} Play along. Ulterior motive: Nothing impure, just friendly banter
{E} "Well, Miss Meiling, do you prefer the rustic type? Or is it the learned man you dream of?" Nod to toward Nathaniel. More seriously, "Perhaps, neither. Maybe you've been waiting for someone special... to walk right through that door."

alright
>> No. 19998
>>19991
>using the right Cutlery at the right Time during Dinner.
...Honored Writefag Zakeri, I humbly ask of you to cease trolling your own stories.

>>19996
>And when Sakuya reenters, hilarity.
Absolutely perfect, good sir. Unless she happens interested in the Mistress, her sister, the librarian, or her assistant --none of whom, statistically, are likely-- I do believe we have covered the majority of her potential nearby romantic interests.

[x] Play along. Ulterior motive: Nothing impure, just friendly banter
[x] "Well, Miss Meiling, do you prefer the rustic type? Or is it the learned man you dream of?" Nod to toward Nathaniel. More seriously, "Perhaps, neither. Maybe you've been waiting for someone special... to walk right through that door."

Although I do believe I would 'indulge' the lovely gate guard, if you comprehend the underlying meaning of my words.
>> No. 19999
[ ] Play along. Ulterior motive: “Indulge” her

I don't like China, but using her as a stress reliver with no compromise is an offer I would not refuse.
>> No. 20000
File 122142434145.png - (32.95KB , 475x536 , hooray!.png ) [iqdb]
20000
>Honored Writefag Zakeri, I humbly ask of you to cease trolling your own stories.

I have stated before, and I shall state again, that I am not this person Zakeri, nor have I ever been.

Additionally, should I not be celebrating joyously like a child for the arrival of this board's twenty thousandth post? The attached image, I believe, is relevant.
>> No. 20001
>>19995
>you won’t get that charade past me, so stop acting like a gentleman and start acting like yourself.

Thank you, Remi! Finally that phase seems to be over.

[x] Play along. Ulterior motive: Nothing impure, just friendly banter
[x] "Well, Miss Meiling, do you prefer the rustic type? Or is it the learned man you dream of?" Nod to toward Nathaniel. More seriously, "Perhaps, neither. Maybe you've been waiting for someone special... to walk right through that door."
>> No. 20003
[x] Play along. Ulterior motive: Nothing impure, just friendly banter
[x] "Well, Miss Meiling, do you prefer the rustic type? Or is it the learned man you dream of?" Nod to toward Nathaniel. More seriously, "Perhaps, neither. Maybe you've been waiting for someone special... to walk right through that door."

This story is amazing.
>> No. 20004
>>20000
This is a good GET.
>> No. 20005
>>20003
agreed, and bandwagoning(?) for potential hilarity. I think Remi will like this, if it happens correctly.

[x] Play along. Ulterior motive: Nothing impure, just friendly banter
[x] "Well, Miss Meiling, do you prefer the rustic type? Or is it the learned man you dream of?" Nod to toward Nathaniel. More seriously, "Perhaps, neither. Maybe you've been waiting for someone special... to walk right through that door."
>> No. 20006
>>20000

Your denial makes my assumptions true.

And did you mean 20000 GET? Because yeah, that's a good pic for this GET.
>> No. 20007
> And when Sakuya reenters, hilarity.
Your suggestion has moved me to action. I care not that the event shall be clichéd or unrealistic, for its humor far outweighs its logic. I applaud in your general direction.

====================

[Play along. Ulterior motive: Nothing impure, just friendly banter]
["Well, Miss Meiling, do you prefer the rustic type? Or is it the learned man you dream of?" Nod to toward Nathaniel. More seriously, "Perhaps, neither. Maybe you've been waiting for someone special... to walk right through that door."]

You may not be a gentleman, but you’re no lecher, either. Now’s not the time to think about “indulging” a woman, even such a beautiful woman as Meiling. And yet…you think it might be fun to prod at her a little, now that you don’t have to impress anyone with high-brow speech and class. At least it’ll be worth a good laugh.

“There, there, Miss Meiling, don’t be ashamed,” you tell her, trying to sound serious and companionate. “Loneliness is nothing to be ashamed about. We all look for someone in life, someone to care about, someone to be cared by, someone to fall into the arms of at night. A lowly farmer can’t promise much, but if you want me, I’m yours to have.” You stand up and make a completely extravagant bow, adding in as many ostentatious hand flourishes as you can. Meiling’s face has moved from embarrassment to shock, actually thinking that you’re serious.

“Then again…” you continue, becoming more humble. “Maybe it is not the rustic, uncultured type you prefer. For I see before me a man of great skill, showing intelligence in both his speech and his actions.” You hold your hand out towards Nathaniel and nod, presenting him like a gift to her. “Perhaps it is the learned man that you dream of?”

Nathaniel’s eyes are shouting, “Oh not you don’t!” at you louder than his voice ever could, but you think he understands what’s going on. Remilia has a hand over her lips, attempting to look thoughtful, but really is just holding in her amusement. Meiling is absolutely mortified now, her mouth locked open in a position of stark terror, unable to speak.

There’s no stopping you now, and you keep going with as much conviction as a man on the stage ever had. “Perhaps…perhaps neither. The wide world is full of good men waiting for their princess to call out to them. Perhaps you lie sleeping, until your shining knight rescues you. Perhaps even now he calls out to your window. Perhaps you have simply been waiting for that special someone…to walk right through that door!”

You turn majestically, thrust your arm out towards the entryway…and freeze. Your hand is pointed directly at Sakuya Izayoi, who entered mere moments ago, balancing a tray of wine bottles in the air. She stares at you, sees Meiling staring at her, then returns to staring at you.

The air erupts with laughter. Remilia clutches her sides and emits wave after wave of mirth, rocking back and forth in her chair. Nathaniel covers his face with his hand and chuckles softly at first, then slowly escalates until he’s laughing as much as Miss Scarlet. Meiling pushes her chair back and stands up, both hands on the table, her eyes wet with tears of panic and fury.

“Stop it! Stop it! This isn’t funny!” she yells across the room, but no one is listening. You’re too busy realizing the hilarity of the situation to even lower your arm. Sakuya shakes her head and walks over to the table, completely out of the loop. However, as she passes by you, you think you can just make out the faintest hint of a smile on her face.

Remilia pounds her palm on the table, attempting to speak to you amidst her torrents of amusement. “That…that’s it! That’s what I want to see from you! I ha- I haven’t laughed this ha-ha-hard in ages!” Seeing her like this makes you forget that she’s some kind of magical creature that owns a refined mansion. All you can see is a young girl that looks like she’s heard the funniest joke of her life, and it makes you smile inside.

It takes minutes for everyone to calm down, especially Remilia. You eventually sit back down, unbuttoning your restraining shirt collar as you do. Meiling rubs her eyes, much more composed now, but still fairly shaken up after the ordeal you and Miss Scarlet put her through.

“Y-you weren’t being serious, w-were you?” Miss Meiling stammers.

“What? No!” you respond. “Of course not! I’m not trying to take advantage of you, I’d get kicked out! Heck, you’d probably kick me first, after what I saw that first night here!”

She smiles a weak smile and sniffles. “Yeah…I guess I could.”

Remilia claps her hands together and addresses the table again. “Let’s not waste any more time, then! Sakuya, pour the wine, all that laughter made me thirsty.”

Sakuya uncorks the wine bottles and begins pouring them into their owner’s respective crystal glasses. You and Meiling both have a pale gold, bubbly wine that twinkles like a spring. Nathaniel’s “Cabernet Sauvignon” is a rich red liquid that brings to your mind fancy restaurants and moonlit meals on a balcony. Remila’s is a similar color, but deeper and much more “full”; there’s no other way to describe it. You sip the champagne experimentally, and are intrigued by the fizzy texture and sweet taste; you’ve never had wine before. In fact, your only experience with alcohol so far is ale, and the two are like a plow-horse is to a majestic stallion. You could definitely get used to drinking this.


Special Dining Room Voting Rules:
+You may ask any character anything you wish
+Options that do not win for a particular segment will still have their votes carried over to the next segment, as there are multiple chances to ask characters questions
+I shall inform you of how many questions you can ask and how many you can vote for at any given time.
+Ties shall be decided by random chance

[ ] You may ask one question before the appetizers are served. You may vote for up to two.

====================

>>20003
Verily, these are the comments that I long for. A craftsman is always happy to know when his work is appreciated. Thank you kindly.
>> No. 20009
[X] Turn to Miss Scarlet.
[X] "First things first. A simple farmhand at least knows how to thank another. So, I thank you for your generous hospitality Miss Scarlet."
[X] Ponder on how to impress her by simply being yourself, and still have a spine.
[X]"... Should I call you a nickname as farmers would to another, Remi, if you'd like?"
>> No. 20010
[X] "First things first. Thank you very much for your generous hospitality, Miss Scarlet." (not a question, should be taken for granted, but just in case)

[X] To Remilia: "How's your wine?"
[X] To Meiling: "Does Cirno really cause trouble that often?"
>> No. 20011
[X] "First things first. Thank you very much for your generous hospitality, Miss Scarlet." (not a question, should be taken for granted, but just in case)
[X] To Remilia: "How's your wine?"
[X] To Meiling: "Does Cirno really cause trouble that often?"

Meiling points?
>> No. 20012
>[ ] To Meiling: "Does Cirno really cause trouble that often?"

Seems to me like Cirno would be a really sore topic, particularly for the player character himself.

[X] "First things first. A simple farmhand at least knows how to thank another. So, I thank you for your generous hospitality Miss Scarlet."
>> No. 20015
This story is so very awesome.

[X] "First things first. Thank you very much for your generous hospitality, Miss Scarlet." (not a question, should be taken for granted, but just in case)
[X] To Meiling: "I've never had anything like this before. It's really great, actually. How's your champagne, Meiling?"
>> No. 20016
[X] "First things first. Thank you very much for your generous hospitality, Miss Scarlet." (not a question, should be taken for granted, but just in case)
[x] "If not for which, one of us tonight would almost certainly be dining on tree bark."
[x] "So I propose a toast, to charity... to those who give it, and to those who abuse it. Charity!"
[x] "As long as I have the floor, Miss Scarlet, I believe you did me an injustice earlier; for I am not just a farmer, through many years of having only to read the same almanacs over-and-over, I've become also a cesspool of proverbial knowledge. For example, do you know what a professional dinner guest was called in ancient Greece?"
>> No. 20018
[+] "First things first. Thank you very much for your generous hospitality, Miss Scarlet." (not a question, should be taken for granted, but just in case)
One should never be an ungracious guest to a gracious host. Miss Remilia has shown herself as a splendid hostess thus far.

[+] To Meiling: "Does Cirno really cause trouble that often?"
[+] To Sakuya: "What kind of medicine did you give me? I feel so much better it's like a miracle!"

>>20015
Sakuya poured our drinks from the same bottle, unless I read it wrong. I'd consider that a wasted question, attempts at Meiling points aside.
>> No. 20019
>Sakuya poured our drinks from the same bottle, unless I read it wrong. I'd consider that a wasted question, attempts at Meiling points aside.

Rereading my words, I find that I did not specify upon this matter. There are in fact two bottles of champagne at the table, one for each of you. While I barely know more about wine than the traveler in my story does, I can only assume that in an establishment of great wealth and refinement, it would be considered tacky for multiple patrons to share the same wine bottle, even though they may prefer the same refreshment.
>> No. 20020
>>20018
I just pulled something out of nowhere, since the Cirno option doesn't agree too well with me.

It's a cold subject to bring up at the table.
>> No. 20021
>it would be considered tacky for multiple patrons to share the same wine bottle

Just FYI, absolutely not. An open bottle of wine on the dinner table, whether at a dinner party or at a fine restaurant, is meant to be shared. Champagne especially, because it cannot be re-corked. In cases where glasses of wine are ordered individually like here, the bottle would normally remain in the sommelier's hands, refilling glasses as needed.

[♱] "First things first. Thank you very much for your generous hospitality, Miss Scarlet." (not a question, should be taken for granted, but just in case)
[♱] "If not for which, one of us tonight would almost certainly be dining on tree bark."
[♱] "So I propose a toast, to charity... to those who give it, and to those who abuse it. Charity!"
[♱] "As long as I have the floor, Miss Scarlet, I believe you did me an injustice earlier; for I am not just a farmer, through many years of having only to read the same almanacs over-and-over, I've become also a cesspool of proverbial knowledge. For example, do you know what a professional dinner guest was called in ancient Greece?"

The last joke went over pretty good, so we may as well keep the ball rolling and take the spotlight off the embarassed girl. This is the appropriate time to make a toast--doesn't matter if it's interrupted by Sakuya.
>> No. 20022
[♱] "First things first. Thank you very much for your generous hospitality, Miss Scarlet." (not a question, should be taken for granted, but just in case)
[♱] "If not for which, one of us tonight would almost certainly be dining on tree bark."
[♱] "So I propose a toast, to charity... to those who give it, and to those who abuse it. Charity!"
[♱] "As long as I have the floor, Miss Scarlet, I believe you did me an injustice earlier; for I am not just a farmer, through many years of having only to read the same almanacs over-and-over, I've become also a cesspool of proverbial knowledge. For example, do you know what a professional dinner guest was called in ancient Greece?"

Oh lawd. This cannot go wrong.
>> No. 20023
No, you sillies! We have to do the dinner scene right.
[X] Talk to all the fairy maids, quickly.
[X] Ask Remilia three questions in turn, but not twice, and remember the order in which you asked.
[X] Propose a toast: "To our hometowns!"
>> No. 20024
>>20023
[x] Never speak to Kefka Flandre.
>> No. 20026
>>20025

thatwasthejoke.jpg
>> No. 20027
>>20020
>It's a cold subject to bring up at the table.
Oh, you.

>>20021
>For example, do you know what a professional dinner guest was called in ancient Greece?
But, how does a native Gensokyan farmer know what "Greece" is?
>> No. 20028
>>20027

Considering the complete ignorance to the existence of magic and fairies, I think it's a fair assumption that he's an Outsider, as is Mr. Nathaniel. The main character displays Western sensibilities as well; he could be from Greece for all we know.
>> No. 20029
>>20021
Ahh, I see my foolish eyes have been opened again to new knowledge. Thank you much for instructing me, and pardon my previous ignorance on the subject.

>>20016
>>20027
I am not quite certain what to make of this choice. Is it meant to be a humorous reference to some old film? Perhaps I am just woefully oblivious to the humor it is supposed to convey, but I do not "get it". Could someone please enlighten me?

However, I fear I must again inform you of in-story knowledge. This adventurer is most assuredly a native of Gensokyo, and does not even know of the existence of the "Outside". His village is small and very contained within an area of Gensokyo rarely visited by any sort of magic being, which is why he knows nothing of the wonders of this land. Thus, I am sorry to inform you that >>20016 cannot be honored in it's entirety as a request. While the proclamation and toast are fine as they stand, the last portion simply cannot happen.

I am sorry to douse you hopes, but I cannot write what would be out of context for the story. You may of course still vote for the initial portions of the specified request, and they will be honored.
>> No. 20030
>>20029

How could he possibly live in Gensokyo and have never heard of youkai? They significantly outnumber humans.
>> No. 20031
>>20030

From what I remember, yeah. Gensenkyo, by canon is a rather small place, where you can say 'village' and everyone would know it's the Human Village since it's the only village around. Furthermore, Gensenkyo was made for youkais, so it wouldn't make too much sense for a regular human not to know.

Possible solutions : Either make Gensenkyo larger than canon, with this particular village in some sort of magic 'dead zone' that youkai can't enter. In this case, there would be a very strong incentive not to wander out of the village, but it would be even more insular than anything.

Or, it could be hidden like Eientei was, or be a closed off/parallel bubble of space in Gensenkyo the same way Gensenkyo is like to the outside.
>> No. 20032
>>20030
>>20031
I have found myself backed into a corner, and must admit defeat. I am more or less ignorant of the details of Gensokyo, and by my own ignorance I am undone. I was unaware of the small size of this magic land, and assumed that a single small village could live undisturbed by the politics of Gensokyo's more vocal residents. Clearly I was mistaken, and I must apologize. I shall consider how best to rectify my mistake without interfering much in the way of the Touhouvrse canon.

>How could he possibly live in Gensokyo and have never heard of youkai? They significantly outnumber humans.
I do not believe I ever said he has never heard of youkai. He has in fact labeled several characters as youkai multiple times within the story. However, his knowledge of youkai and magic is garbled and incomplete, as he considered these things little more than a myth. When I stated "he knows nothing of the wonders of this land,” I was implying that he has no idea just how wrong he was about the youkai and the world they live in. Still, this issue is mainly a continuation of my false assumption that Gensokyo was bigger than it actually is, and must apologize again for my unspecific words.

>Possible solutions : Either make Gensenkyo larger than canon, with this particular village in some sort of magic 'dead zone' that youkai can't enter. In this case, there would be a very strong incentive not to wander out of the village, but it would be even more insular than anything. Or, it could be hidden like Eientei was, or be a closed off/parallel bubble of space in Gensenkyo the same way Gensenkyo is like to the outside.
I will deeply consider these suggestions while I ruminate over how best to patch my error. Thank you for your help.

Too long; did not read: I was wrong.
>> No. 20034
>>20032

Maybe you'd do better to set the story outside of Gensokyo, in France rather, before the vampire migration? Late 1800s-early 1900s, you'd have plenty of small farming villages and vagabonds therefrom, a moderate level of superstition among the populace. There hasn't been sight of any modern technology, nor do I think has this place actually been referred to as Gensokyo. Assume that Rumia and Cirno were locals, and that Meiling and Sakuya are previous acquisitions, and I think the SDM could be pretty self-contained.

Anyway, the answer to that bit of trivia was "parasite".
>> No. 20035
File 122149615032.png - (8.90KB , 959x579 , diagrams!.png ) [iqdb]
20035
>>20032

Remember the old saying about bugs and features? Applies here. Attached is a diagram that may clarify my suggestion a bit better, at a cost of my artistic reputation.
>> No. 20036
>>20032
>I do not believe I ever said he has never heard of youkai. He has in fact labeled several characters as youkai multiple times within the story.
My point was that youkai VASTLY outnumber humans. In the games, all the stage fodder are regular youkai and fairies. They're weak, weaker than gensokyo humans (but stronger than outside humans), but there's a LOT of them. It's the stage bosses, even stage 1 mid bosses, who are exceptionally strong. Cirno is only a stage 2 boss, but she is almost certainly the strongest fairy. I do recall him hearing about youkai, but I don't recall him knowing that they do exist. Just off the top of my head, I recall him being surprised at seeing the fairy wings, he was surprised by magic, and I may be wrong but I do not think he truly believed Youkai existed.
Not believing Youkai exist in gensokyo is as absurd as believing wolves don't exist.

I would personally recommend changing it so he is from the outside... but still from some small village or something. No modern conveniences, little knowledge of the cities, etc. I don't know if something like that could be found in japan, mind you, as I'm as ignorant of japan as you seem to be of gensokyo. Him being from gensokyo doesn't seem to be critical to what's written so far. He hasn't explicitly said it, he hasn't known about any major characters, etc. Plus, there are weakpoints in the boundary, so you could just walk off on an adventure [although now that I think of it, that would be problematic; kinda strange for a japanese youth from a farmer to go on an adventure] and just waltz into Gensokyo without realizing it. Yukari doesn't do everything, ya know

And I'm recommending you read the wiki and PMiSS articles on youkai, humans, human village, and gensokyo.

http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Youkai
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Human
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Human_Village
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Gensokyo

PMiSS links are found in most of those wiki links, you should be able to just search for the others. Assuming they're translated anyways.
>> No. 20037
>>20032
You should check out PMiSS and the character profiles from the games:
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Perfect_Memento:_Human_Village
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Perfect_Memento:_Scarlet_Devil_Mansion
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Perfect_Memento:_Encyclopedia:_Vampire
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Remilia_Scarlet
etc.

Just keep in mind that Akyu (the "author" of PMiSS) doesn't seem to leave the village much, and a lot of her information is from hearsay and assumptions, so she may be misinformed about some things. ZUN likes to keep his canon vague and somewhat silly.
>> No. 20038
>>20036
>>20037

If my calculations, and I did consult Ran in this matter, are correct, reading those links takes exactly seven minutes
>> No. 20039
>>20032

For Gunman in Gensokyo, the player character was taken from 1945 into 2008 Gensokyo (thanks to Yukari). Perhaps you could do something like that? Scarletnonymous really hasn't read like a Gensokyan at all, being so secluded; I therefore think this method would allow you to continue with minimal retconning. But hey, you're the writer, I'm just a guy.
>> No. 20040
>>20036
>>20037
Such information! My head, it shall explode! Thank you much for the links.

I have been struck with an idea for how to redeem the mistake we have been discussing recently. However, it may in fact be important to the plot at a later date, therefore I shall not enlighten you at the current time. For now, let us put this oversight behind us and continue with the story as best we can.

Please continue to vote upon the question you wish to ask; I will not count "Thank you very much for your generous hospitality" against your limit. My brain is far too scattered at the moment to write, and college classes loom upon me in the afternoon, therefore I shall not put my pen to the paper until at the earliest 7 P.M. Eastern American Time.

Ahh, if only banging one's head against the wall achieved a useful result other than pain...
>> No. 20043
>>20040

I'm glad you found a way to recover yourself, but that doesn't tell us very much as to who we're playing. It seems you want to keep things mysterious, but is the Xbox heug write-in acceptable? Or is it not?
>> No. 20044
>20043
I will say...yes.

In which case, disregard everything I just said concerning >>20029. I acted rashly upon those grounds, and the pointer I was trying to convey to you is now null, no exception.
>> No. 20054
It is most odd that despite all the conversation >>20016 garnered, it did not actually win. I wrote in portions of it anyways, because it fit here and there.

I hope that this next segment may alleviate some of the talk of the adventurer’s origin. I also hope that in doing so, I do not dig myself a deeper hole than I am already in…

====================

["First things first. Thank you very much for your generous hospitality, Miss Scarlet."]
[To Meiling: "Does Cirno really cause trouble that often?"]

You suddenly realize that, despite all the talking you just did, and all the time you’ve spent here, you haven’t even thanked your hostess for housing you. At the very least she deserves that much.

“Pardon me, Miss Scarlet,” you say. “I’m sorry for waiting this long to say it, but I must thank you so very much for your generous hospitality. I’ve no idea where I’d be tonight if it weren’t for you.”

She inclines her head in your direction, acknowledging your thanks. “You are most welcome, young man. And I thank you, for the most interesting day you have given me to think about.”

“You’re welcome as well, miss.”

You take another sip of your wine. It’s refined taste again brings wonder to your mouth. Nathaniel does the same, then lowers his glass as he asks you a question.

“So, exactly what did happen with you and Cirno? I’ve heard the basic synopsis from Patchouli, but I’m afraid I have no idea as to the circumstances of your unfortunate accident.”

You reiterate briefly your escapade with Cirno, beginning with hitting the wall of invisible ice and ending with your acceptance of her apology. Meiling is just as interested as Nathaniel is in your tale, considering she saw the battle from afar but didn’t know anything else. As you finish your tale, the constant talk of Cirno brings a question to your mind that you’ve been wanting to ask for a while now.

“I’ve been wondering, Miss Meiling,” you ask, “does Cirno really cause trouble that often? I mean, she seems like a genuine prankster to me, but she can’t really be that annoying, can she?”

Meiling rolls her eyes and sighs. “You have no idea what she’s really like. It’s not just this mansion; she causes trouble with anyone she can find for miles around. Freezing the ground around them, running them into miniature snowstorms, icing over streams just when they’re about to take a drink, she even freezes frogs solid just to see them thaw out! It’s not that she’s causing anyone real harm; in fact, I’d almost prefer it if she did. But it’s just trick after tiresome trick, for years on end. The real problem is that she never learns, and never listens. She’s like a stray cat that keeps coming back and eating your food even after you chase it away.”

Remilia adds to Meiling’s comments. “Worse than a cat by far, dear. At least a cat doesn’t buzz about your head shouting “I’m the strongest!” all the time. I swear one day I’m going to kick her straight of Gensokyo if I get the chance.”

“Gensokyo?” you asked curiously. “Is that what this island is called? It’s quite an interesting name.”

Miss Scarlet stifles a little giggle. “Oh, dear boy, how amusing you can be when you’re not pretending to be so serious. Why the entire country you stand in is Gensokyo! How can you not know such a simple fact?”

Befuddlement draws your face into a state of confusion. “No, no, we’re in England…aren’t we? I might never have stepped outside my village before, but I at least know what country I live in.”

Meiling looks quizzically at you. “England? Are you sure? Maybe you just call Gensokyo ‘England’ where you’re from. I’ve heard different areas call places by different names before, it’s not uncommon.”

You shake your head, unsure what to make of this. You’ve never heard of the word “Gensokyo” before in your life, and certainly not as some obscure city or province in England. But then…where are you? You’ve only traveled several days on foot, and that was through a forest. Nothing ever seemed wrong to you, not until you saw this island, at least. Then again…everything changed once you did. You began seeing women with wings and strange hair, fairies shooting ice, even beings who hovered in the air. You stopped doubting the existence of magic hours ago…could you have possibly been transported here though some kind of spell? Or perhaps, could this all be a dream?

Meiling looks as confused as you about the matter, so perhaps you’re not crazy. Nathaniel’s face shows a hint of curiosity, but far less than Meiling’s. Remilia, however, definitely looks like she knows something. She mutters a low conversation with Sakuya, not intended for others, but still loud enough to be heard by you.

“You heard the man, Sakuya. What do you think? Yakumo?” Remilia asks.

“It is a definitely possibility, miss,” she replies. “It would explain much.”

“Indeed...”

“Yakumo”? What is that supposed to mean? If Miss Remilia knows something about why or how you got here, you’d certainly like to know. Then again, you weren’t really supposed to overhear her. Perhaps it’s best to just remain quiet for a while.

“Well, whatever the case may be,” Remilia tell you, “you’re here now, so let’s not worry about it any more. Sakuya, why don’t you serve us the appetizers, I’m sure the guests are famished.”

She nods and wheels a silver cart around the table, something you didn’t notice when you sat down. She moves several of the polished domes from the other end of the table onto it, and when she returns she opens them and proceeds to dish out a crisp salad, some delicious-smelling soup, and soft fluffy biscuits to everyone. Other bowls of relishes, dressings, and fruits are placed onto the table as well.

A bolt of inspiration hits you as you reach for your spoon. You remember hearing about people doing this sort of thing at restaurants. Picking up the utensil, you tap it against your wine glass a few times, filling the room with a pure, crystal chime. Everyone turns to look at you.

“I’m not quite sure if this is appropriate or not,” you announce, “but I would like to propose a toast to Miss Remilia Scarlet, who if not for which I would almost certainly be dining on tree bark tonight, and to charity…to those who give it, and to those who are honored enough to receive it. Charity!”

Meiling and Nathaniel raise their glasses with you, and a twofold “To charity!” emanates from them. Remilia waits for a few seconds, then also raises her glass, just a hair above her eye line, and looks at you through the crystal.

“To charity.”


Revised Dining Room Voting Rules:
+You may talk to any character about anything you wish.
+Options that do not win for a particular segment will still have their votes carried over to the next segment, as there are multiple chances to talk to the other characters.
+You may suggest up to three separate topics at any one time.
+The amount of options which make in into any particular segment will be determined by how well they fit into the situation, and how long they take to answer.

[ ] Suggest up to three separate topics to talk about

====================

In my life I am constantly reminded that not everyone enjoys such a structured, planned-out universe as myself. Thus I altered the dining room voting rules to be less formal and more useful to all concerned. I hope my constant fluctuating remarks do not cause you aggravation. If all else fails, simply ignore everything I say and focus upon the story alone.
>> No. 20055
Yeah... when in doubt, blame Yukari.
>> No. 20056
>>20054
Can't vote; too drunk. But there were five places set, right? China, Nate, Us, and Remi... someone needs to ask about the vacant chair next to us.
>> No. 20057
>>20056
"Miss Patchouli Knowledge is a permanent tenant here at the mansion, though she rarely leaves the library. I doubt she’ll honor the dinner invitation, though.”

[X] Talk to people about things that would provide the most interesting conversations.
>> No. 20058
>>20054
>>You may talk to any character about anything you wish.
That is it, I'm going all out:
[X] Address the table: "From what I understand, I can assume I'll be the only person on this side of the table?"
>>20056
More than a bit tipsy myself, so yeah,
[X] Talk to Meiling: "The other day with Cirno, minus the flying, you displayed some impressive brawling techniques. Where did you learn that?"
[X] Talk to Remilia: "You surely must be royalty with a mansion like this, but I'm unfamiliar with the 'Tepes-Scarlet' name. Does your family go by another title?"

I am really wishing I had watched more Emma because knowing the status of powerful merchants would have enabled me to craft a more developed write-in for that last one.
>> No. 20059
>Meiling and Nathaniel raise their glasses with you, and a twofold “To charity!” emanates from them. Remilia waits for a few seconds, then also raises her glass, just a hair above her eye line, and looks at you through the crystal.

>“To charity.”

How ominous.

Keep smiling anyway. Your dinner jacket is already on the floor, so you may as well get sloshed.

[x] To no one in particular: "Gensokyo, eh? If we're not in England, then I suppose we're not speaking English." Finish your glass and pour yourself another. "Whatever. There's nothing like alcohol to keep the dread specter of cognitive dissonance at bay."
[x] To Nathaniel and Remilia primarily: "So as to our other belated dinner partner." Nod to the empty place setting. "Miss Patchouli, I'll assume is not just fashionably late?"
[x] To Remilia: "I expected a dress code Miss Scarlet, but not an undress code. I can't disagree with your meaning; I think one who is out of his element sometimes does better to make the element his own, rather than attempt to hide his differences. Still, as comfortable as burlap is, I sure am glad that you have all these extra sets of clothes on hand to lend me." Thoughtful pause. "Now that I mention it, one of your residents wouldn't happen to be missing a pair of spectacles? At least they appeared to be, broken as they were, in the jacket pocket."
>> No. 20060
>>20059

Re :

>"Gensokyo, eh? If we're not in England, then I suppose we're not speaking English."

Protagnist might be isolated... but to somehow completely miss the entire British Empire thing?
>> No. 20062
>>20060

Meant as sarcasm, though I guess the joke is really on him. Meiling claims to not even know what "England" is--an absurdity to a man hearing her speak in English.
>> No. 20065
>What do you think? Yakumo?
Before you continue any further with this, let me propose a less cliche alternative:
Gensokyo is very much like a Wonderland from Alice's Adventures, as alluded by ZUN. We could have, per chance, stumbled upon a rabbit hole (such as when we decided to follow the path less taken), which was made previously by other Youkai.
From the Wiki:
>Youkai know of ways to make a 'hole' in the border elsewhere - they originally helped reinforce it afterall
>> No. 20066
>>20044
>and the pointer I was trying to convey to you is now null, no exception.
I have observed, once more, what you caused to occur here, and I smiled.
>> No. 20070
>>20065
I never insinuated that Yukari Yakumo was behind this. Remilia did. A character in Gensokyo could easily assume that Miss Yakumo is the cause of any mysterious foul play, but that doesn't immediately make their assumption correct.

Rest assured that I plan to make the eventual explanation...intriguing.
>> No. 20076
>>20070

I must say, good sir, your continued efforts at avoiding cliches while crafting an intricate and atmospheric tale have captured my heart. I offer you a gentleman's warning while my mind is still my own: Lock your windows at night, and keep aware. My blood does not always agree with me.
>> No. 20077
Why is no one voting?
>> No. 20079
>>20077
Because for all the fantasies and battles that we can think our ways through in these CYOAs, defeating social retardation just doesn't come easy.

Sage for not helping.
>> No. 20080
Damn Anon stop bothering U. N. Owen!
>> No. 20082
needs more votes
>> No. 20083
[X]Ask Sakuya what the food will be! If she says, you will see it. Then ask her if her breasts are real or not.
[X]Ask someone: about Gensokyo in general.
[X]Ask Remilia about the mansionm(I mean how old is it? Who else lives here?)
ALSO: you could ask Remilia about herself?
>> No. 20086
[x] >>20058 >>20059 Either of these or some combination thereof
>> No. 20087
>>20084
>I allowed my optimism to get the best of me and thought you might have gained some semblance of rationality.
>Then ask her if her breasts are real or not.

I'm sorry, what?
>> No. 20091
To all of the assembled anon, I wish to make a suggestion: let's not get *too* rowdy while here, seeing as such action may push us over the border of welcome and onto the 'food' side.
>> No. 20092
>>20091
We aren't already?
>> No. 20094
>>20059 bad choice, too rowdy.
>>20083 bad choice, too rowdy/stupid.
>>20092 we aren't *yet* too rowdy, but options such as the above risk putting Remilia beyond her currently apparent state of unamusement, as seen in her reply to our 'toast'. Right now, we should probably try and find out even more about the residents of the mansion, the residents themselves, and Gensokyo, seeing as this Adventureanon doesn't know much about it, if anything at all.
>> No. 20097
[x] Propose your undying love to Meiling
>> No. 20099
>>20094
No no I mean we're already going to be Remi's food. Fresh donor and all that. Although we probably just spilled more blood on the lawn than she'd drink anyway.
>> No. 20101
In no specific order...
[X] Pardon my language, but cor... this is one 'elluva an establisment; I 'aven't seen a tenth of it's sheer size, I rec'n. What might'n your family be knees deep'n to secure this joint?
[X] The champagne is hitting you: "Pardon my impurities(?), but Miss(z) Meiling, you were displaying some feets of... erm, feats... of remarkable prowess when I first made your acquaintance. Where in the world did you ever become familiar with such skills?
[X]That champagne is pretty good: "Mightn't I take it that my neighbor will be fashionably la~... mmm... Absent tonight

Playing up the drunk angle because after the first couple levels of Force Unleashed, I am left with no other alternative.
>> No. 20103
>>20091

Well aren't you just a Negative Nancy.

>we aren't *yet* too rowdy, but options such as the above risk putting Remilia beyond her currently apparent state of unamusement, as seen in her reply to our 'toast'.

You misunderstand the gesture entirely. Remilia's is giving you a hint: There is no "charity" here.

There is only food, and those too useful or entertaining to be food.
>> No. 20105
[x] To Nathaniel and Remilia primarily: "So as to our other belated dinner partner." Nod to the empty place setting. "Miss Patchouli, I'll assume is not just fashionably late?"
[x] To Meiling and Remilia: "Have you tried pranking Cirno in return? If she is set on playing, you might help shape her game to your own rules."
[x] To no one in particular, and then to Remilia: "Gensokyo, eh? If we're not in England, then I suppose we're not speaking English." Finish your glass and pour yourself another. "Well, there's nothing like alcohol and conversation to keep the dread specter of cognitive dissonance at bay! Miss Scarlet, I must say, I expected a dress code but not an undress code. I can't disagree with your meaning; I think one who is out of his element sometimes does better to make the element his own, rather than attempt to hide his differences. Still, as comfortable as burlap is, I sure am glad that you have all these extra sets of clothes on hand to lend me." Thoughtful pause. "Now that I mention it, one of your residents wouldn't happen to be missing a pair of spectacles? At least they appeared to be, broken as they were, in the jacket pocket."
>> No. 20106
A hearty thanks to all who have voted thus far. My horrid Wednesday schedule is once again full, and I shall be unavailable to write until at least 7 P.M. Eastern American Time.

By my preliminary count, I am observing 4 votes towards inquiring about the absent dining guest and 3 votes towards asking Miss Scarlet about the mansion, with many other miscellaneous votes besides. Remember again that options which do not make the pick are still valid for the next round of polling.
>> No. 20115
[x] To Nathaniel and Remilia primarily: "So as to our other belated dinner partner." Nod to the empty place setting. "Miss Patchouli, I'll assume is not just fashionably late?"
[x] To Meiling and Remilia: "Have you tried pranking Cirno in return? If she is set on playing, you might help shape her game to your own rules."
[x] To no one in particular, and then to Remilia: "Gensokyo, eh? If we're not in England, then I suppose we're not speaking English." Finish your glass and pour yourself another. "Well, there's nothing like alcohol and conversation to keep the dread specter of cognitive dissonance at bay! Miss Scarlet, I must say, I expected a dress code but not an undress code. I can't disagree with your meaning; I think one who is out of his element sometimes does better to make the element his own, rather than attempt to hide his differences. Still, as comfortable as burlap is, I sure am glad that you have all these extra sets of clothes on hand to lend me." Thoughtful pause. "Now that I mention it, one of your residents wouldn't happen to be missing a pair of spectacles? At least they appeared to be, broken as they were, in the jacket pocket."

Eh, this isn't so bad. I suspect our question about the spectacles may bring up an awkward silence, though. (error: evidence of previous guest?)
>> No. 20117
If we bring up the fact that we're finding stuff in jackets, it may prompt Sakuya to start checking them. Bad idea.
>> No. 20122
>>20117 A challenger appears.
With a good point, as it stands. While revealing the glasses can clue us in to everyone's intentions and/or whether or not they know anything of it. On that note, I suspect two things, should we indeed show off the glasses:
1. China perhaps will show an instant of surprise, revealing that she knows something.
2. Nathaniel tries to claim the spectacles are his, in an attempt to keep hold of them, while realizing that they may be a clue to those who came before us.
My reason for thinking that it would be Meiling, if anyone, to reveal something is that to me, she seems the least 'disciplined' out of those potentially knowledgeable and present. It is extremely obvious that we have an ally in the mansion, and that a previous guest has potentially perished here before (with our meta-knowledge, no surprise. But I digress...), and so while I feel I am stating the obvious in this coming fraction of a sentence, we should concentrate our efforts on finding out more about our current situation, and the mansion itself. Revealing what few artifacts we have found could make these efforts more difficult.

In short, I am modifying my vote:

[x] To Nathaniel and Remilia primarily: "So as to our other belated dinner partner." Nod to the empty place setting. "Miss Patchouli, I'll assume is not just fashionably late?"
[x] To Meiling and Remilia: "Have you tried pranking Cirno in return? If she is set on playing, you might help shape her game to your own rules."
[x] To no one in particular, and then to Remilia: "Gensokyo, eh? If we're not in England, then I suppose we're not speaking English." Finish your glass and pour yourself another. "Well, there's nothing like alcohol and conversation to keep the dread specter of cognitive dissonance at bay! Miss Scarlet, I must say, I expected a dress code but not an undress code. I can't disagree with your meaning; I think one who is out of his element sometimes does better to make the element his own, rather than attempt to hide his differences. Still, as comfortable as burlap is, I sure am glad that you have all these extra sets of clothes on hand to lend me."
>> No. 20123
[To Nathaniel and Remilia primarily: "So as to our other belated dinner partner." Nod to the empty place setting. "Miss Patchouli, I'll assume is not just fashionably late?"]
[Ask Remilia about the mansion]

You begin to dine on your soup, noting the remarkable array of spices and seasonings it contains, not to mention all the exotic vegetables you couldn’t possibly name. The blend of flavor is spot-on perfect, and you can only assume that the rest of the meal will be just as delicious.

“So, Nathaniel, dear,” Remilia asks, setting down her spoon, “How has your tinkering been going? Still giving our little Patchouli trouble, are we?”

He replies courteously. “I wouldn’t exactly put it that way, miss. She is an unrivaled expert on finding the books I request, though I still cannot fathom what her filing system is. My work is progressing slowly, as can only be expected with a device as intricate as the one I repair, but I relish the time I have been able to spend within your walls.”

“Quite gracious of you, dear, you are welcome.” You can tells she just eats up any praise given to her or her mansion like sweet candy. “I must say I am still dejected that Sakuya cannot help you in your labors. It must be frustrating to work so slow on such a long task.”

“A poor craftsman grows weak the longer he works, my Lady, but a good craftsman grows only stronger, emboldened by the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. I have no complaints.”

She gives a little “Huh!” at him. “I would have expected an intelligent man like you to have more sense that that! Have you not once stated to me that in an imperfect world, everyone can find something to complain about? You must of course fall into the realm of ‘everyone’, do you not?”

He chuckles. “Touché, Miss Remilia, touché. I will not deny that I wish certain things to be changed in my life, but I would not wish you to be troubled by them. Let fate deal with one’s troubles in its own due time.”

She snuggles back into her chair and sighs contentedly, closing her eyes. “Indeed…well put, Mr. Nathaniel.”

The current conversation makes you realize that there’s still an empty chair next to yours. Nathaniel said it was reserved for Miss Patchouli…is she really not going to show up? You’d like to meet her, if at least to just meet another tenant of the mansion.

“If I may change the subject,” you say, “I’d like to ask about our belated dinner partner, Miss Patchouli. Is she often this fashionably late to gatherings, or am I to assume she is not coming?”

Meiling chimes in with a reply. “She’s too busy reading her books most of the time to bother with social get-togethers. And with her weak constitution, she’s usually not up for moving around much. It’s just the way it always is around here.”

The answer satisfies you, but not Remilia, who pipes in a complaint. “Well I don’t see why it should be! Patchouli has been living here long enough to know that she oughtn’t hide in that musty old library when we have company! Sakuya, go find our lethargic friend and bring her to dinner; kicking and screaming if you must. It’d do her good to have a decent meal for a change.”

Sakuya bows silently and again exits the room, leaving the four of you to your meal.

“So, farmer,” Remilia questions, obviously addressing you, “how is your rural lifestyle taking to finer styling of my home? I’ve heard many good things from Nathaniel, but what about you?”

You’re not about to comment with your mouth full of salad (crisp and fresh though it is), and hold up your hand momentarily as you wash it down with wine. “Well, miss, it’s grander than grand from what I’ve seen of it, and bigger than big to match. I can’t deny that I’m more than a bit overwhelmed by it. Might I ask about its history? I imagine its past must be just as grand as its present.”

“Ahh, the past,” Remilia replies breathily, looking upwards. “So many memories this house holds, more than I can count any more. I don’t even know where to begin…”

She trails off, whispering to herself silently, seemingly unaware that she has let your question die in the air. The answer finally comes unexpectedly, but it is not Miss Scarlet who utters it. The words are so low and strung together you have a hard time making sense of them.

“The Scarlet Devil Mansion. Assumed date of construction: mid-to-late 14th century A.D., precise date unknown. Named after the hue of the exterior and interior decor, which is also scarlet, and for the original tenant’s interest in the local superstition of vampires. Accuracy of said superstition: six point two three percent. Exterior dimensions approximately seventy-one meters by thirty-two meters by twenty-three meters. Interior dimensions impossible to quantify due to fluctuating magical size enhancement. Has withstood no less than four mansion-wide fires, eleven localized fires, one tornado, one flood, and three sieges.”

The voice came from behind you, and you turn around to see who spoke it, considering you don’t recognize the voice. A young girl, you would guess maybe fifteen or sixteen, is shuffling across the room slowly, clutching a large leather-bound tome in one arm. She is dressed in a light pink dressing gown and pajama pants, with a puffy nightcap resting upon her long, purple hair. Her cap and hair are adorned with ribbons and pins of different shapes and colors, the largest of them a yellow crescent placed just off-center from the middle of her hat. Her face is pale and stretched, odd for someone of her apparent age (not like “apparent” age matters much in this mansion; there’s no way Remilia is a ten-year old like she looks). Like many of the people you’ve met recently, her eyes seem to tell her story at a glace: extremely intelligent, extremely serious, and extremely unenthusiastic. The tome she carries only serves to seal her judgment as the stereotypical scholarly bookworm.

“Patchy! Oh good, you decided to come after all!” Remilia exclaims, folding her hands together like the child she appears to be. “Now all we need is Sakuya and it’ll be the perfect dinner! Is she coming behind you?”

You assume that “Patchy” is shorthand for “Patchouli”, who breathes heavily and coughs as she responds. “Simple coincidence…had me leaving-cough-my study seconds…before she entered. My-cough-initial and secondary assumptions were…that she…was looking for a book or myself, respectively. She will-cough-find neither one at the moment, and will return here as expected.”

She finally reaches the table and rests on the empty chair next to you, opening her book as she does, suddenly oblivious to anything that is not written down. Miss “Knowledge”…perhaps she has too much for her own good?

[ ] Suggest up to three separate topics to talk about

====================

I wished to write more in this segment, as there were many votes to consider, but due to circumstances beyond my control I was forced to pen this segment in a crowded public area, and my concentration was taxed further than I wished. Future segments will hopefully address the votes I missed.

Additionally, I am in earnest searching within my mind and heart to find the portrayal of Miss Patchouli Knowledge which I feel fits best within the story, but the search is not without trials and uncertainties. It may come to pass that her speech and/or mannerisms may change in the near future if I feel my current portrayal strays too far from either established canon or personal preference. For that I apologize, but this tale is, of course, a work in progress.
>> No. 20126
[x] To Meiling and Remilia: "Have you tried pranking Cirno in return? If she is set on playing, you might help shape her game to your own rules."
[x] Inquire to the general table, since Patchouli does not seem inclined to answer herself, as to how a suspicion of vampires can be six percent correct.

And take it easy, this is one of the best stories going right now, the characterizations are fine.
>> No. 20127
>>20123
I was pretty impressed with this Patchy; as soon as the monologue began about the mansion I got a voice in my head. Low, a little breathy, monotonous, and a bit bored. It was slower than intended, though, but oh well. Captured the lifelong scholar/librarian thing (disturbingly) well. Anyway...

[X] (Try to) introduce yourself to Patchouli, thank her for the medical treatment.
[X] To Nathaniel: Are you a craftsman by trade? The way you talk makes you seem more suited to be a scholar or teacher.

Do the special dinner rules still apply or not? I'll reserve my last topic until then.
>> No. 20128
[X] (Try to) introduce yourself to Patchouli, thank her for the medical treatment.
[X] To Nathaniel: Are you a craftsman by trade? The way you talk makes you seem more suited to be a scholar or teacher.
>> No. 20132
File 122171001143.jpg - (43.52KB , 494x500 , yuki_singlecover.jpg ) [iqdb]
20132
[X] (Try to) Introduce yourself to Patchouli, thank her for the medical treatment.
[X] To Nathaniel: Are you a craftsman by trade? The way you talk makes you seem more suited to be a scholar or teacher.

>>20130
Probably because of pic related. By the way, U.N. Owen, this is not criticism. You are not ripping anything off; her opening dialogue just gave a bit of a vibe that way.
>> No. 20133
File 122171164081.jpg - (56.97KB , 444x534 , ae6d0ad167ea457b7b5d53206cfc62cc.jpg ) [iqdb]
20133
>>20132
Holy crap you're right
>> No. 20134
Wow, that IS right.
And awesome.
>> No. 20135
>>20127
>Do the special dinner rules still apply or not? I'll reserve my last topic until then.
They do indeed still apply. My post simply had too many characters, and I was attempting to shave some off by omitting the previously-stated rules. Apologies for the confusion.

>>20132
Like The Shining before it, I appear to have hit close to the mark of something I have not seen/read. My friends have told me to watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya multiple times, but I have never gotten around to it. Ahh, what a tangled web coincidence weaves.
>> No. 20136
>>20135
You should, it's rather awesome, although some people don't like it.

I find the irregular as hell episode ordering kind of charming.
>> No. 20141
>>20138
Number 4 is awesome.
>> No. 20142
>>20141
Was that Disappearance? Because that was probably the high point of the series.
>> No. 20143
>>20142
Yes, book 4 was Disappearance.

And it was rather awesome, although I kinda stopped at either the end of book 4 or the end of book 5 and never quite got back to it.
>> No. 20147
I leave now to increase the knowledge in my head, and from there to increase the wealth in my pocket. Whatever option(s) rise victorious when I return around 7 P.M. (Eastern American Time, of course) shall be written about. Considering that at least three options are tied at three votes a piece, I hope that some of you will step up and let your voice be heard.
>> No. 20148
Mixed votan' gaems.

[X] (Try to) Introduce yourself to Patchouli, thank her for the medical treatment.
[x] To Meiling and Remilia: "Have you tried pranking Cirno in return? If she is set on playing, you might help shape her game to your own rules."
[X] To Nathaniel: Are you a craftsman by trade? The way you talk makes you seem more suited to be a scholar or teacher.

In that order, perhaps with preference. I am unsure.
>> No. 20150
>>20148
The ranking of your choices, in addition to your overall vote, is a drink of water on a scorching day. May this next segment be dedicated to “Dunefag”, who alone gave to me what I wished for during my absence.

====================

[(Try to) Introduce yourself to Patchouli, thank her for the medical treatment.]
[To Meiling and Remilia: "Have you tried pranking Cirno in return? If she is set on playing, you might help shape her game to your own rules."]

Nathaniel leans slightly closer to Patchouli, nose immersed in her tome, and comments to her kindly, like a casual friend.

“You don’t really have to speak so quickly, Patchouli; heaven knows it won’t do your lungs any favors.”

Her eyes glance up at him slightly, but slowly return to the lines of text as she replies, still catching her breath. “Even I have the ability…to act impulsively when…the situation lends itself. A simple ledger of facts is…no hindrance to me.”

Her taciturn demeanor seems to have subconsciously calmed everyone down into a lull of silence. Remilia, though, who hasn’t stopped glaring at Patchouli since she started reading, suddenly jumps out of her chair and grasps at the book. She barely manages to twist it away from the little mistress, but a second grab locks onto the cover, and Patchouli loses her hold like a babe fighting a grown man. All the while Remilia is reprimanding Patchouli with a tone more suited to a children’s playground.

“No, no, no! Get that book out of here; you’re not being fair to our guests! I didn’t invite you here so you could do in public what you always do in private!”

Considering that this entire display took place not three feet from you, you find it hard to miss all the little details of the book-grabbing. The way it looked, Patchouli must either be very weak, or Remilia must be very strong…perhaps some of each. You almost expect her to bop the librarian upside the head with it, but instead she flips it across the room, pages flapping wildly like a wounded bird.

Patchouli mutters some unintelligible dialog under her breath and points at the book, which suddenly halts in mid-flight, suspended by a silvery aura. It floats back to the table, and she plucks it out of the air casually and rests it under her chair.

“I shall honor, friend,” she says quietly, unmoved in the least by the actions of the last fifteen seconds. Sitting a little straighter in her chair, she scoots forwards and starts whispering more odd words. You assume they must be magic incantations, because her speech begins moving around the bowls on the table, serving her food like half a dozen invisible hands.

Once her place has been filled (you notice she has taken only a small portion of salad, barely a ladleful of soup, and her glass is full of conjured water), she finally picks up her utensils and begins to dine. You observe her nearly mathematical approach to eating: two spoonfuls of soup, drink, two forkfuls of salad with precisely-numbered lettuce leaves, drink, repeat. There is no wasted effort in anything she does; every movement is as efficient as it could possibly be, and the spectacle is almost creepy. You take this time to try and introduce yourself to her.

“Excuse me, Miss Knowledge?” She doesn’t respond, so you keep going. “I’m not sure we’ve properly met. I’m a guest staying in the mansion for the time being; it is a pleasure to meet you.”

She slowly, and yet quickly (you’re not sure how it works, but it definitely does) glances at you, but when she finally speaks her eyes are once again fixed somewhere else.

“Recovering?”

“Oh, yes, quite well actually,” you respond. “And I’d like to thank you for all you did for me; I’d surely be dead without you. Especially that medicine; it worked like a miracle.”

“Trifle,” she responds curtly. You’re not sure if she’s being rude, shy, or just extremely efficient with her words. “Medicine wasn’t mine.”

Meiling picks up the confusion on your face and explains. “The medicine you drank was a special order from the Eientei Clinic, not too far from here. There’s a marvelous doctor there who can make just about anything. There’s even rumors the she made an elixir that can make you immortal!”

An elixir of immortality? Even for this mystical “Gensokyo” you think that’s pretty far-fetched. How can a simple liquid grant truly everlasting life? Granted, if it does exist…now that truly would be a miracle!

“More than rumors, dear Meiling,” Remilia responds haughtily. “Doctor Eirin’s Hourai Elixir is very real…very real and very useless. Who wants the monotony of living forever after life has lost it’s fun? No, you’ll not see me sipping any of that foul stuff. There are ‘better’ ways to live.” She folds her arms and leans back in her chair, as if she’s said something profound. Whatever it was, it went right over your head. Nathaniel, however, seems to have caught it, and he nods to himself, eyes full of comprehension…almost too full.

The door to the dining hall unexpectedly swings open, and Sakuya walks in, bowing as she talks.

“Apologies for my delay, Mistress, but Miss Patchouli is nowhere to be-“ She stops mid sentence as she spots Patchouli already seated at the table. “Ah, I see. That would explain it. However, it appears my journey was not in vain. The gate guards delivered me this note, Mistress Remilia. What say you concerning it?”

She approaches the table and hands Remilia a thick sheet of parchment. She reads it over quickly, then her eyes roll as she gives an annoyed “Grrrmmm”. She tosses the parchment to…you, of all people.

“Seems you’ve got a secret admirer, young man. Now just who could it possibly be?”

Her words dance through your head as you read the note. It’s written in large, capital letters, purposely designed to fill the whole page.

CAN MR. STUPID COME OUT AND PLAY TOMORROW, REMI?

(The page turns…)
>> No. 20151
(…and the story continues.)

Wow. That’s just…you really don’t know what to say. You knew Cirno was a little childish, but…words simply escape you here. Meiling chuckles as she glances over the table at the message, and even Nathaniel smiles a little. Patchouli, of course, is uninterested.

“That brat,” Miss Scarlet grumbles, thumbing the neck of her wine glass. “Stupid little fairy asking me questions like I’m a friend. The answer is no, by the way,” she adds, looking at you.”

Remilia’s self-centeredness has been growing increasingly annoying so far, and right now you think you might challenge her a little. You promised Cirno you’d be her friend; friends look out for each other, vouch for each other when the other one isn’t around. However, considering how anti-Cirno Remilia seems to be, you decide to word your rebuttal a little more towards her liking, hoping that it won’t come back to haunt you…or Cirno, for that matter.

“I was just wondering, Miss Scarlet,” you ask, looking back at her with commitment. “You always seem so annoyed by Cirno because she plays pranks on people. Have you ever tried pranking Cirno in return? If she is set on playing a game, it might help if you played by your rules, not hers. Nothing harmful, just a little something to let her know what you think, you know?”

Remilia is about to shout at you for what she thought would be a plea on Cirno’s behalf, but she catches herself and ponders the suggestion, twirling her hair as she thinks. Finally she grins devilishly.

“Why dear boy, what a delicious idea!” Her voice is excited and high-pitched like a woman talking to her friend about marriage. “Oh I am so glad you’re here, we need a down-to-earth head around here to think of the simple things! Of course Cirno can come to play tomorrow, and you must play with her! I just know that dear little fairy will love the game we shall have for her…”

You nod sheepishly; it was your idea after all. But just what have you just gotten yourself into?


Revised dining room voting rules still apply.
[ ] Suggest up to three separate topics to talk about
>> No. 20156
Thank you, U. N. Owen. I do hope, however, that I am not again to be the singular voter. 'Tis best to have the consensus of all the assembled Anon. In reflection of this, I shall withhold my vote for a short time, in hope that Anonymous will show their faces and influences here again. Many minds, after all, are greater than one.
>> No. 20157
[x] "Remilia you have such a diverse array of guests and acquaintances here would you mind me asking how you have happened to meet a martial artist, a witch, and a sliver-haired knife-materializing maid?"
[x] "Do you determine the uniforms of the maids or does Sakuya just like grasping my attention in her french maid outfit?"
[x] "From what I've seen you're very strong and can fly. If its not too much of a bother could you indulge my fantasies and take me for a post dinner ride?"
>> No. 20159
Don't have any ideas for a write-in, taking previous votes into consideration.

[x] To no one in particular, and then to Remilia: "Gensokyo, eh? If we're not in England, then I suppose we're not speaking English." Finish your glass and pour yourself another. "Well, there's nothing like alcohol and conversation to keep the dread specter of cognitive dissonance at bay!"
[x] "Miss Scarlet you have such a diverse array of guests and acquaintances here would you mind me asking how you have happened to meet a martial artist, a witch, and a sliver-haired knife-materializing maid?"
[X] To Nathaniel: "Are you a craftsman by trade? The way you talk makes you seem more suited to be a scholar or teacher."
>> No. 20160
[x] To no one in particular, and then to Remilia: "Gensokyo, eh? If we're not in England, then I suppose we're not speaking English." Finish your glass and pour yourself another. "Well, there's nothing like alcohol and conversation to keep the dread specter of cognitive dissonance at bay!"
[x] "Miss Scarlet you have such a diverse array of guests and acquaintances here would you mind me asking how you have happened to meet a martial artist, a witch, and a sliver-haired knife-materializing maid?"
[X] To Nathaniel: "Are you a craftsman by trade? The way you talk makes you seem more suited to be a scholar or teacher."

What the post above me said. I got nothin.
>> No. 20162
Poor cute maid never gets to participate at dinners and only gets left-overs. That's a dog's life, man!
>> No. 20164
>>20162

And she wouldn't have it any other way.
>> No. 20167
>>20151
[X] To Nathaniel: "Are you a craftsman by trade? The way you talk makes you seem more suited to be a scholar or teacher."
I just like the way Nathan talks.
[X] To Remilia: "Aside from playing pranks on fairies and an apparent library, how else might a guest occupy himself?"
I'm serious, after Cirno and the obligatory trip to Patchy's place, what are we going to do? Wandering randomly is only so fun for so long. Actually...
[X] To Sakuya: "This might be an odd question, but might I have access to the kitchen?"

Every good CYOA needs omelettes... or paella.
>> No. 20173
[To Nathaniel: Are you a craftsman by trade? The way you talk makes you seem more suited to be a scholar or teacher.]
[To no one in particular, and then to Remilia: "Gensokyo, eh? If we're not in England, then I suppose we're not speaking English." Finish your glass and pour yourself another. "Well, there's nothing like alcohol and conversation to keep the dread specter of cognitive dissonance at bay!"]

Remlia claps her hands together again and asks Sakuya to serve the main course. She quickly sweeps the soup bowls and salad plates away from the table, stashing them underneath another cloth-covered cart off to the side. As she unveils yet another giant silver dome, you are intrigued to see not a giant platter with the main dish on it, but instead five normal-sized plates already dressed and prepared. They contain rich, succulent portions of meat topped with a golden sauce. Layered around it are half-moon slices of what looks like fruit; perhaps oranges? To finish it off is a tastefully arranged side of bold-colored carrots and spiced potatoes, with an elegant sprig of parsley for good measure.

“This looks most delicious, Ms. Izayoi,“ you compliment, “But can I ask the name of the dish?”

“It is Duck a L’Orange, sir. Roast duck glazed with sweet orange sauce. A popular dish several decades ago, but has sadly been forgotten as of late.”

You nod respectfully despite not recognizing the name of the dish or understanding it’s popularity (or lack thereof). All you know is that it looks delicious, and tastes doubly so. You initially compare it to honeyed ham, but soon realize that comparing it to anything your common tongue has tasted would shame it. The sauce is sharp yet incredibly sweet, and the duck meat is the perfect blend of tenderness and firmness. It takes you a great deal of effort to peel yourself away from the glorious food and talk to Nathaniel for a spell.

“So, Mr. Nathaniel. Are you a craftsman by trade, or by hobby? The way you talk makes you seem more suited to be a scholar or a teacher.”

He takes a sip of his wine and answers you matter-of-factly. “Engineer, actually. ‘Craftsman’ or ‘tinker’ always seems to be a popular word when describing my work, but I deal with far too many complex devices to be considered a mere craftsman. But to answer you question, I suppose both…and neither.

“Seems such a long time ago that I was just a common tinker, fiddling with watches and locks and the like. I spend a good part of my life dedicated to those simple years, back when all I had was a handful of manuals and some secondhand tools. But I persevered, took my time, learned from the best, and it wasn’t long before I was designing apparatuses the likes of which you might only hear in stories of the future. Though that was back when I was young and full of optimism. Well, younger than I am now, at least; I’m not quite so old as I look yet.

“You might say I’m on vacation at the moment. I’ve been traveling for a while now, teaching different areas whatever I can think of that they might care about. But the number of people who honestly wish to learn, to understand, is depressingly small. I’ve been considering going back to real engineering work for some time, but then of course my favorite pocket-watch goes and gets broken. The rest, as some say, is history.”

He leans back in his chair, content, like he’s reminiscing about the “good ol’ days”. You feel it kind not to press further; he told you all you asked for, and more.

The meal continues almost as if it’s just another supper with friends and family back in the old village. Remilia asks occasional questions about your home and your lifestyle, curiously interested in such “low” living standards. Meiling for the most part doesn’t ask questions of her own, though every now and then she slides in with a comment or two. Patchouli has yet to utter a statement over four words since the main course was served, and even then most of them are just answers to Nathaniel’s chess comments (apparently the answer to “Far side pawn takes knight or bishop?” is “Neither, gambit.”). Sakuya remains still and silent at the corner of the table by Relimia’s side.

You can slowly feel the wine start to go to your head, making your tongue loose. You’re not very concerned, though; holding one’s liquor is a staple of the farmers where you’re from. You still fail to keep inside your head a question which you’ve been wondering for some time, and you ask it out loud.

"Gensokyo, eh? If we're not in England, I wonder what language we’re speaking. I suppose we're not speaking English, because that would make sense, and magic makes everything nonsense.” You drain your glass and pour yourself another. "Well, there's nothing like alcohol and friendly conversation to keep the dread specter of cognitive dissonance at bay! Sorry if I’m being too forward, I can hold my liquor pretty well…though maybe not well enough.”

Nathaniel sighs amusedly. “Sir, the presence of magic does not mean that the laws of rationality and logic have abandoned you. Of course we are speaking English; did you assume you had learned a random language while you slept?”

You shrug your shoulders. “Maybe. People wake up and lose their memories, why shouldn’t other people wake up and gain them?”

“Because they…don’t?” Meiling suggests innocently.

“Don’t think it can’t happen, though,” Remilia interrupts. “Magic makes all things possible. But let’s not waste time thinking about what might have happened; better to think about what we might make happen later. Speaking of which,” the mistress turns to you again, pointing her finger playfully at you as she does, “you and I are going to be matching our wits tonight after dessert. Now, what game would a man like you be familiar with?”

[ ] Chess
[ ] Checkers
[ ] Backgammon
[ ] Dice (Specify game)
[ ] Cards (Specify game)
[ ] Something else (Write in option)

Also, revised dining room voting rules still apply.
[ ] Suggest up to three separate topics to talk about

====================

>>20156
As do I, good sir, as do I. But in this imperfect world, it is also pertinent to remember that one mind is greater than none.

>>20159
>Don't have any ideas for a write-in, taking previous votes into consideration.
Please do not think that you must create your own ideas every time. I created the “Dining Room Voting Rules” so that questions oft discarded might have a chance to rise from the grave over time. Pick what makes you happy, not what makes me happy, for your joy becomes mine.
>> No. 20176
[x] Cards (Poker)
A man's game
>> No. 20178
>>20173
[X] Cards (Euchre)
The game is a little complex but pretty fun. Best part of the game is playing with your partner rather than against the other team. Trying to come up with tells about which tricks to take is half the fun. A game of wit and skill like poker, but not as psychologically intense. I have the impression farm anon could get mind crushed too easy in the SDM.

Wait a damn tick!
[X] To everyone: "Speaking of Cirno, there was another fairy with her the other day. Rumi-something. What is her reputation around here?"
[X] To Remilia: "Aside from playing pranks on fairies and an apparent library, how else might a guest occupy himself?"

I can always vote spam if you need more votes writefag, but personally speaking, I like when others pick my write-ins.
>> No. 20181
>>20178
[X] What he said.

Poker's only a battle of wits in the sense that you have to be able to manipulate people. Other than that, it's all luck, and fate hax take care of that.
>> No. 20184
[ ] Cards (E-Card)
>> No. 20188
A card game known to me only by the name of "Chems", is my choice. That said, I shall follow formality:

[X]Chems.

...and since I do not know the card game's actual name, and there was no Wikipedia article on it, I shall explain it manually:

Chems is a card game, involving one de-jokered deck of cards, and four players, in opposing teams of two. The goal of the game is to collect four of a kind, and then for your partner to declare 'chems' by saying so aloud.



Declaring - Chems, Doublechems, and Stopchems.
----------------------------------------------

Chems is the ownership of four of a kind, and when declared (correctly), gives the declaring team one point, ending the round. In the case that perhaps one team figures that one (or both) of their opponents has chems, then they may declare "Stopchems", and, if correct, the round ends with the stopped team losing one point. Negative scoring is possible, should the players agree upon such. Another action that may be taken is the declaration of "doublechems". Doublechems occurs when both players on a team possess chems, and if they declare doublechems, the team gains two points. Again, the round is ended if successful declaration is made. There is a catch, however - Chems must be declared by the ally who doesn't have it, and doublechems by both partners. How is this managed, you ask?

Signals - Surveillance and Strategem.
----------------------------------------------

This, quite obviously,either takes an extroardinarily perceptive partner, or for them to have been informed, and this is where the fun of the game comes in. Each team must develop their own set of signals to inform their partner of various things, most directly being their posession of chems, and most subtly, anything ranging from the cards in their hand to what cards they suspect the opposing team is going for. These signals may be almost anything that can be performed by the players themselves (that is to say, without props). These signals may be anything, so long as they fit in this category, ranging from tapping one's chin, to saying "I have chems", to even a small dance. In this, Chems is an extremely fun game as I can attest from my experience, and only as complex as the players want it to be. Now, however, the actual process of the game must be explained.

Gameplay - How it works.
----------------------------------------------

The seating arrangement is generally in a square, with allied players sitting opposite from each other. At the beginning of the game, each player is dealt 4 cards, and 4 more cards are placed face-down in the middle of them. At the beginning of the game, these cards in the center are flipped face-up, and any player may exchange (at one time)a single card in their hand for one in the middle. (In case of conflict, whoever actually picks it up first gets it. otherwise, whoever put their first down before the other, and if that fails, compromise, I guess.) After all card trading that is desired has occurred, and generally has stopped, the pile is declared 'dead', and another four cards are dealt to the middle. Dead cards are removed from the game and placed aside, effectively out of play. This continues until Chems, Doublechems, or stopchems has been declared, or in the rare case that it should happen, the cards running out.
>> No. 20189
If I may say so, please don't let my wall go to waste.
>> No. 20191
>>20188
Why not.

[x] Chems.
>> No. 20193
[X] Cards (E-Card)

Sorry Dunefag. Chems sounds interesting, but E-Card is just too hilarious to pass up. Plus it'd be real interesting to see how U. N. Owen writes it.
>> No. 20196
>>20193
Allow me to express my ignorance on this regard. What exactly do you mean?
>> No. 20197
If we're going to play a complex game, why not go full bore.

[x] Mahjong

Our own blood against Remilia's fortune.

I want to hear Remilia scream "Ron!" and cackle madly.
>> No. 20198
>>20196

You haven't watched Kaiji?
>> No. 20200
[x] Whatever the hell can be played with 3 teams of two each.
>> No. 20201
>>20198
I indeed have not, although it is on my already-lengthy "To-Watch" list.
>> No. 20202
Holy crap, we are never going to reach a game consensus, are we? I won't bother with my game vote, but will formally suggest U. N. Owen picks the one that works the best in terms of writing. Euchre or Chems each sound good to me. I like the team aspects.

Will second these though:
[X] To everyone: "Speaking of Cirno, there was another fairy with her the other day. Rumi-something. What is her reputation around here?"
[X] To Remilia: "Aside from playing pranks on fairies and an apparent library, how else might a guest occupy himself?"
>> No. 20208
[X] Cards (E-Card)

hahaha, this!
>> No. 20213
>Nathaniel sighs amusedly. “Sir, the presence of magic does not mean that the laws of rationality and logic have abandoned you. Of course we are speaking English; did you assume you had learned a random language while you slept?”

>You shrug your shoulders. “Maybe. People wake up and lose their memories, why shouldn’t other people wake up and gain them?”

I love this, it's so Lewis Carroll.
>> No. 20227
While I enjoy writing very much, I must restrain myself from writing for writing's sake if I have not the time to do a segment justice. As such, I have been occupied a great deal over the last 24 hours, and even now must leave you again for the majority of the day. Rather than scrawl something out hastily in the scope of half an hour, I will postpone the next page until later this evening, when I feel more at ease. Hopefully by then more votes may accumulate to aid me.

>>20184 & >>20193 & >>20208
Verily, mine eyes do not believe what they are seeing. I am quite glad that I have observed the anime in question fully, and can only contemplate in fear as to what will happen should this option succeed...
>> No. 20232
[x] Cards (E-Card)

THE SLAVE CAN DEFEAT THE EMPEROR
>> No. 20244
>>20227
I do apologize, good sir, but this idea is simply too perfect for the situation to ignore, and your expressed fears have only made it more tempting to choose.

And so,
[x] Cards (E-Card)
>> No. 20247
E-Card is a 1v1 game. There are likely at least going to be 4 participants.

Plus, is E-Card really a great game, or was Kaiji just a great anime? Remember, in Kaiji and Akagi there are always ludicrious stakes. That's why even rock-paper-scissors or Mahjong become exciting. Would playing anything from Kaiji or Akagi be interesting without such stakes? And before you guys even propose including them, we have nothing to offer but our lives, and it would be quite out of character for our hostess to accept self mutilation as a wager from us.

tl;dr Guys, stop fucking picking stuff from anime. Just because it was awesome there doesn't mean it'd be awesome here.
>> No. 20250
>>20247

E-Card is a perfect fit here considering the relative divergence in power, wealth, and social strata, and quotes from the show already give us excellent material for write-ins.

Remilia wants to match wits with you specifically, and considering the first three options were two-player only games, there's no reason to assume any of the others will be playing.

As for betting, that comes later, when Remilia becomes more enthusiastic. Besides blood, there's numerous humiliations Remilia could extract from us in place of a wager, and conversely, many privileges she could bestow.

As for the materials themselves, the King of Spades can play the role of Emperor, Jacks of various suits as the Citizens, and the Joker can be the Slave. If tarot sets are available, then we have an Emperor, Knaves of the minor arcana as the Citizens, and The Fool as the Slave.

Honestly, I'd rather play mahjong, which would be multi-round 2-2 team game, but the writer and players are probably not familiar enough with the rules to orchestrate it.

tl;dr: Get off your high horse and have more faith in your writefag.
>> No. 20258
One thing that I think must be considered is whether or not this adventureanon actually knows the game we write-in. Not that this should bar an option should it prove the most fun, but I do think it is something we should keep in mind. Even with this filter as it were, I still do not know the origins of E-card or chems, and so each may remain possible, though I would not know. Mahjong, while potentially very interesting, I see as simply not possibly within the character's knowledge, unless his village of origin has resided within Gensokyo for some time, and through such, has experienced cultural elements from the Far East.
Only speculation here, but perhaps it will aid us in decision.