[Return]
Archived Thread

File 122031631976.jpg - (66.45KB , 800x531 , Dark_Forest.jpg ) [iqdb]
19439 No. 19439
The mists of chaos encompass the night, and what was once pure and whole becomes unknown to those who knew it best. The masses seek solace in the familiar and the safe, while the bravest boldly cut a path into the darkness. Hope rises and falls like the tides upon the sea. A book appears on a careworn shelf, penned in an unknown hand. Amidst a mountain of tomes like it, it rests silently, waiting for a curious soul to approach it. What value could it hold, and what secrets can it reveal?

That is not for its author to decide. Like any book, its fate rests within the hands of those who will pick it up…and read.

====================

The outside world is full of possibility and adventure. Who can say what the unknown holds, until you venture out and see for yourself? Fear and doubt should be thrown away, replaced with courage and determination. What is a man, if he does not walk outside his own home and taste the wonders life has to offer? Surely, to anyone who has the will to take those first courageous steps, great honor and glory shall be his!

You still remember uttering those very words out loud to your entire family. Not satisfied with the humble peasant life of a farmer, you have finally thrown conformity to the dogs and taken your destiny into your own hands. Armed with only the meanest of tools and a heart full of spirit, you said goodbye to your village, the only place in the world you knew anything about.

That was almost six days ago. Now, your thoughts are not so optimistic. For days you have been trekking through an untamed forest, following what could barely even be called a path. You’re low on food, and even lower on water. The knapsack on your shoulders groans against your weary muscles, feeling ten times heavier than it actually is. Scrapes and bruises pepper your skin where the forest has chosen to extract its punishment upon you. But going back has never been an option for you. Better to die in the wild, pursuing your dreams, then to rot within the confines of that monotonous village you once called “home.”

Nevertheless, better to live pursuing your dreams than to die pursuing them. And to live much longer you must plan your next steps carefully. As the failing light of the sun trickles through the dense tree branches, you see that the path you’ve been following has begun to widen out, and eventually forks into two rather different directions. The left fork slopes slightly down, while the right fork stays level and seems to become even wider the further it goes. You think the forest might even be less dense in that direction.

[ ] Follow the left path that slopes downwards
[ ] Follow the right path that widens out
[ ] Sit down and rest for a while
[ ] Go off the path, try to forage for food and water

====================

Though I shall try and craft a tale worthy of observation, I humbly admit I am but a stranger to the ways of these “image boards” and “CYOAs”, little better than a casual observer. In truth, my knowledge of the Touhouverse itself is limited to what I can glean from the games themselves and a handful of knowledge acquired from the Touhou Wiki. Thus, I ask your patience with me as I try my hand at a new skill, and see where it shall lead. Comments of any sort, whether constructive or criticizing, are welcome and encouraged.

>> No. 19440
>>
Though I shall try and craft a tale worthy of observation, I humbly admit I am but a stranger to the ways of these “image boards” and “CYOAs”, little better than a casual observer. In truth, my knowledge of the Touhouverse itself is limited to what I can glean from the games themselves and a handful of knowledge acquired from the Touhou Wiki.

I was the same. Good luck. I like your writing style.

[ ] Follow the right path that widens out
>> No. 19441
[X] Follow the right path that widens out
Sounds nice.
>> No. 19444
[X] Follow the left path that slopes downwards.

"The Road Not Taken" by Frost.

>>19439
Yea! Another writer! I'm so happy I could do some... Jigs? Anyway, I think that's how most of us start out. Unaware of what we're getting ourselves into. I was researching for hours on end after my first post.
>> No. 19445
[x] Follow the right path that widens out
>> No. 19447
[X] Follow the left path that slopes downwards.

You vowed to cast conformity to the wind, and so you take the path less traveled. A path you shall follow to the bitter end.

Where there is forest, life, and where there is life, the means to sustain it.
>> No. 19448
>>19447

Cool story bro.

[x] Follow the left path that slopes downwards.
>> No. 19451
[x] Follow the left path that slopes downwards

I have no regrets, this was my only path.
>> No. 19454
>>19440
>>19444
There's a documentary waiting to be done about why the writers subject themselves to the whims of anonymous.

>>19439
[X] Follow the left path that slopes downwards

Man, I am digging your narrative style; I hope the dialogue is at least half as good. Good luck UNO.
>> No. 19455
File 12203282604.jpg - (64.31KB , 600x450 , forestlake.jpg ) [iqdb]
19455
[Follow the left path that slopes downwards]

A wider path is very tempting, but you decide to give your body a little rest by taking a downhill grade for a change. You set off to the left, your muscles slightly eased as gravity helps you progress downwards. Several minutes later, your feet begin to disagree. The path becomes lumpy and hard at first, then downright rocky, and you stumble on the stones more than once, cursing slightly every time you do.

The rough terrain pays off, however. Coming into view so fast you nearly fall in is, of all things, a giant body of water! It’s far too big to be a spring or a pond, but too calm to be a sea or ocean; a lake, perhaps? You save these insignificant questions for later; first, a drink. You take a sip first to test it; definitely fresh water, and very tasty to boot, clear and cool like a mountain spring. After taking a refreshing drink from your cupped hands, you remove your pack (how your shoulders thank you for that!) and withdraw your water-skins, filling them to the brim. Before returning them, you take a few minutes to rearrange and reassess your worldly possessions.

In your pack you have:
+Three water-skins, holding about a liter each. All are full.
+A stale loaf of bread. Might last two days if you’re conservative.
+A few strips of dried beef. Tough yet edible.
+A compass. It’s crudely made, but very trustworthy.
+A tinderbox, small but well-stocked with everything needed to make a fire.
+A bedroll and blanket. Both are worn with age.
+A large steel hunting knife. The blade is longer than your hand.
+A woodcutting hatchet. Good for a weapon in a pinch.
+A thick diary. One day its pages will be full of adventures…

On your person you have:
+A set of clothes. Rough wool garments in various shades of brown and tan.
+A traveling cloak. Tattered, but keeps out the elements well enough.
+A pair of boots, made of brown leather. Cracked from overuse.
+A coin pouch. Contains all the money you own…which isn’t much.
+A steel short sword. Let’s see if that sparring practice did you any good…

Dropping yourself to the ground in a comfortable position, you survey the scene. The lake is magnificently picturesque, surface polished to a mirror shine, millions of miniscule ripples twinkling like stars as the sun sets over the hills. The shape is just right, too. Not too stretched, curved, or angular, no blemishes on the shoreline, just a perfect oval. Though the shimmering surface makes discerning detail difficult, you think you can see an island in the center of water, like a gem set in a silver broach. On your side of the lake, the forest runs right next to it for a good ways, but there’s a sandy beach a few meters wide you could walk along. If you squint, you can just barely make out a building on the shore, not too far off, and what looks like a wooden dock. A light flickers inside the window of the structure.

[ ] Walk along the beach towards the building. A light could mean people.
[ ] Take a quick swim. Quench the forest grime from your body.
[ ] Pull out your bedroll. Call it a night and get some rest.

====================

>>19444
Writers, both new and old, are a joy to have in this world. Should we lose them, life would become Truly Grim. Let the pen of creativity shatter the sword of the mundane!

Concerning votes, I will try to follow a "First to Five" rule, but if vote traffic is slow (or if I am, quite likely the latter) I will go by whichever option is winning at the time.

Thank you all for starting me off with confidence. I hope that I can live up to your expectations.
>> No. 19456
[X] Walk along the beach towards the building. A light could mean people.

>[ ] Take a quick swim. Quench the forest grime from your body.

ಠ_ಠ It could be THAT lake.

>[ ] Pull out your bedroll. Call it a night and get some rest.

ಠ_ಠ No youkai on my campground.
>> No. 19458
[X] Pull out your bedroll. Call it a night and get some rest.

Let's attract some hungry youkai.
>> No. 19459
>>19455
If we have a utensil with which to illustrate/commemorate...
[X]Sketch the image of the lake into our diary

...regardless
[X] Walk along the beach towards the building. A light could mean people.
>> No. 19461
[x] Take a quick swim. Quench the forest grime from your body.
[x] Keep watch on your pack and clothes while you do.

Cirno.

Also, we should make ourselves presentable when we arrive at SDM.
>> No. 19464
[X] Walk along the beach towards the building. A light could mean people.
>> No. 19469
>>19456
It's definitely that lake. However, we are not Mr. Dumbass, we are a pretty cool guy who survives in the wilderness and doesn't afraid of any bodies of water. Also it's not freezing cold this time.

[x] Take a quick swim. Quench the forest grime from your body.
>> No. 19470
{X} Take a quick swim. Quench the forest grime from your body.
>> No. 19472
>>19455
>Should we lose them, life would become Truly Grim.
>Truly Grim
...Zakeri, is that you...?
>> No. 19474
[X] Pull out your bedroll. Call it a night and get some rest.

Very nice writing.
>> No. 19476
[x] Walk along the beach towards the building. A light could mean people.
>> No. 19490
I first read that as "A Scarlet-Stained Member"...

[x] Walk along the beach towards the building. A light could mean people.
>> No. 19491
>>19472

What?
>>19455

BACK TO WORK NIGGER.

So, like how HY is STF, Zakeri is U.N.Owen. Nice improvement there dude.
>> No. 19495
Hm, another writefag here? /sdm/ is getting crowded.
>> No. 19496
>>19495
You think so? Just Mystia and Owen here by my count, unless COF comes back or Blankfag writes something else.
>> No. 19497
>>19496

Uh, COF disappeared? No wonder, with that horrible start the poor guy had and with some Anons scaring him away...
>> No. 19498
File 122039595853.jpg - (20.02KB , 340x340 , lakedock.jpg ) [iqdb]
19498
[Walk along the beach towards the building. A light could mean people.]

You’ve had enough solitude in these past few days to last you quite a while. It’s high time you found some civilization in this adventure of yours. Food would be nice too, but right now anything different is better than these woods. Slinging your pack back onto your shoulders, you walk briskly towards the light.

As you draw nearer, your spirits drop a little. The “building” you saw is little more than a one room shack, well made but still very small. Alongside it, jutting out a good ten meters into the water, is a sturdy dock with a snug little sailboat moored at the end, barely big enough for three people to fit in. Your initial thoughts veer towards an eccentric hermit fisherman, living alone to pursue his strange obsessions unmolested. Still, company is company, and fish would taste pretty good right about now, so you approach even closer.

Before you can reach the small door, it opens by itself, and out steps not a wizened old man, but a strangely-dressed young woman. She is short, as least a head shorter than you, but she carries herself with an air of purpose and duty. Her clothes seem to resemble a uniform of sorts: A long red skirt and red vest over a crisp cream shirt, and a white cap that look like it has a form of insignia on it. Her blonde hair is pulled into a tight ponytail that drapes down her back. Glancing at the shack, you see yet another woman, similarly dressed.

“Good evening, traveler. What brings you here on such a night?”

You quickly reiterate your situation to her, and she nods in response.

“This forest has daunted many travelers, even ones who know the way through,” she replies. “That is why our Mistress had these docks built, so that lost souls might find their way to a safe haven. If you desire, I will bring you to her house. There you will find food, drink, shelter, rest, and much more besides. I can see your travels have made you quite weary.”

You consider her words. Food and rest are exactly what you need right now, and thought of meeting a “Mistress” of any kind sounds like a great experience for a budding adventurer like you. But this situation does seem rather odd, almost uncannily so. Wandering in the forest for days, and now suddenly you find a lake and women willing to take you to shelter? Perhaps it’s too good to be true. You decide to prod just a bit further.

“Tell me just a little about this Mistress of yours,” you inquire.

“She lives on yonder island across the lake,” the woman responds, motioning towards the water. “For years she has enjoyed the solitude and peace it brings her, but as of late she has grown lonely, and wishes her rooms to be full like they were in times of old. No stranger, no matter how low, will be refused entry from her walls, for all walks of life have interesting stories to tell, and she is curious of the different ways of the world. Surely you do not wish to scorn her hospitality?”

[ ] Accept her offer
[ ] Refuse the offer and keep walking along the shore
[ ] Ask if you could just have some food & directions out of the woods

====================

>>19491
It is difficult to write when one is not home, instead pursing the knowledge that the universities of this world teach. Nor is it easy to upload when one's internet connection falls to a storm. Also, "Zakeri" I am not, nor do I ever recall hearing the name. I believe you are mistaken.
>> No. 19500
[X] Accept her offer
Easy choice is easy.
>> No. 19501
[x] Accept her offer
>> No. 19502
This gives me a bad feeling, but let's do it.

[x] Accept her offer
>> No. 19503
>>19498
That's what all alternate identities say.

[X] Accept her offer.
Easy, etc.
>> No. 19505
[x] Smirk. "Truly, Gensokyo accepts all kinds."
[x] Accept her offer
>> No. 19508
File 122041247981.jpg - (116.59KB , 500x667 , mansion-gates.jpg ) [iqdb]
19508
[Accept her offer]

Scorn her hospitality? How could that thought have even entered your mind?! Too long has this adventure broken your back without offering anything in return but uncertainty and pain, too long have you been forced to sit quietly and take life as it is dealt to you! It is finally time to glean the rewards you deserve! This benevolent Mistress is the first good hand of cards you’ve been dealt in a long time, and by the heavens you’re going to play them!

This you tell the young lady cheerfully, though in not so many words. She is most relieved to hear your acceptance, and motions you to climb aboard the boat while she exchanges a few hushed words with her companion, still sitting patiently within the dock shed. After a couple of minutes balancing yourself out (you’ve only ever been on a boat once, and fell into the water almost immediately at that), the woman steps gracefully into the boat, removes the ropes fastening it to the dock, and you are off. Though you’re initially wary that the small craft will tip over, it isn’t long before you relax and just enjoy the ride. The lake appears even more beautiful than before, now bathed in a peaceful twilight. Your subconscious remarks how fast the boat is traveling across the water, unnaturally fast even, but the thoughts of a hot meal and a warm bed are too strong to be chipped away with petty trivialities.

It is during this ride that you notice something odd about the woman steering the boat. On her back, attached to her vest, are a pair of gossamer wings, shaped like a butterfly’s. Fairly small and immobile, they appear very out-of-place with the rest of her sharp uniform. You remark upon this observation, to which she replies, rather confusingly,

“Yes, there is an odd fascination with one’s appearance in this part of the world. The Mistress is no acceptation to the rule, and prefers a more…whimsical approach to her servant’s dress. But the wings are merely a trifle, made for show, pay them no mind.” After a short pause, she continues. “And your clothes, traveler…forgive me for saying so, but they appear rather…what is the word, rustic? There are far better clothes for you within her Mistress’ manor, but that is for her to decide. Yes, perhaps she will enjoy a more mundane guest this time.”

The rest of the voyage is carried out in silence, until the boat grinds up against a sandy beach on the edge of the mysterious island. So strange, that this seemingly grand Mistress would choose to live tucked away on a island in the middle of a forested lake. But, as your guide said, the Mistress enjoys unconventional practices.

“Now simply follow this path up the hill, traveler,” she instructs, “and soon you will come to a large gate. Tell the guard there why you have come, and she shall surely let you into the manor. Pardon me now, but I must return to my post. Good luck…”

And with those fading words she recedes into the darkness on the boat, and you are alone. Wasting no time, you follow the path as indicated, spotting more female guards as you walk past, all dressed the same as that first one you met, and all with those strange wings. If you were a child, you’d think they were fairies of a sort. They give you strange glances, but are ultimately uninterested in you. Perhaps seeing strange people is a common occurrence to them; you wonder how many the Mistress has helped over the years?

Finally you reach the gate, and what is gate it is! Wrought iron with intricate spirals running through the thick bars, it must be over three times your height, and who knows how heavy. Running on either side is a high wall made of red brick, the mortar chipped and decaying from age. Sitting, or rather leaning next to the gate is yet another female guard (what is it with all these women?), but she looks much different than the others you’ve seen so far. She is as tall as you, with two braids running through her long red hair. Her garb is green rather than red, and looks very different than any other clothes you’ve seen. No, wait…you remember other people dressing like that in some far off land you read about once, something about Oriental. On her head rests a cap with a pale golden star in the center, scribed with some odd character you can’t make out. She appears to be sleeping rather than guarding. How shameful.

[ ] Try and open the gate by yourself
[ ] Try and wake the guard up
[ ] Adventure time! Scale the brick wall
[ ] Wait for the guard to wake up on her own
>> No. 19509
[x] Try and wake the guard up
>> No. 19511
>>19508
[X] Clear your throat
[X] Wait for the guard to wake up on her own
>> No. 19512
[x] Try and wake the guard up...carefully.
>> No. 19514
[x] Wait for the guard to wake up on her own.
[x] After a few minutes of waiting, decide to execute a devious plan: Scrounge for some tinder and slip some of it the back of her boot.
[x] Light it with the tinderbox; hide.

This will work. I saw it on Looney Tunes.

And Sakuya will be watching from the upstairs windows the whole time.
>> No. 19516
[ ] Clear your throat
[ ] Wait for the guard to wake up on her own
>> No. 19517
i liked your intro btw
>> No. 19519
[X] Clear your throat
[X] Wait for the guard to wake up on her own
>> No. 19521
File 122044593038.jpg - (71.25KB , 446x446 , brashcirno.jpg ) [iqdb]
19521
As I will be absent most of the morning and afternoon, I will update earlier rather than later at this juncture.

====================

[Wait for the guard to wake up on her own]

As anxious as you are to get inside to the wonderful things promised you, it doesn’t seem right to be hasty about it, not with a guard standing right in front of you at least. You commit yourself to wait patiently until she wakes up of her own accord, and slip the pack off your shoulders onto the ground, holding the straps loosely with your left hand. It’s definitely nighttime now, and the autumn air is getting very chilly. You let go of the pack and wrap your cloak around you more tightly, keeping in what warmth the old coat will allow, but it just doesn’t seem to work. That guard better wake up soon, cold air isn’t exactly your favorite outdoor climate. You clear your throat loudly, hoping to snap her out of her rest, but no dice, she doesn’t budge. There’s a sadistic urge in the back of your mind to light her shoe on fire, but obviously that’s not going to help much in the long run. It’s getting colder still as you stand there, as if winter decided to rebel against nature and poke you with a stick three months early. At least it’s not windy, you can’t stand-

“Graaaawrr!”

An unexpected noise from behind you sends a wave of shock through your body more than large enough to forget about the cold. Your feet leave the ground in surprise, and you spin around to face whatever it is behind you. This proves much more difficult than you expected. Your feet just can’t seem to get any traction on the ground, and after a few seconds of absurd flailing like a novice dancer, you fall flat on your back. The ground doesn’t soften the impact at all, and despite the fact that you know the path to be composed of loosely-packed dirt, it now feels hard as a rock.

“Aw yeah, gotchya!” a childish voice yells nearby. “That was soo cool! You just looked like a complete idiot over there!”

Your head swivels around, looking for the source of the voice, but it’s nowhere to be found. You try and return to a standing position, but now your feet have decided to stop moving. Looking down at your boots, you see that they are…incased in ice? What the…what’s going on here? You push and pull, trying to get your legs free, and eventually the ice shatters, liberating your boots from their icy prison. You pick yourself up and return to a standing position…and immediately lose your balance. The ground greets you again with another welcoming thud. How in the…the ground around you is frozen smooth over! What kind of madness is this?!

“Ahahaha! That was even better! Wow you’re fun to play with, I should have done this waaay sooner!”

Your eyes finally make contact with your assailant, who in accordance with the newly-broken fabric of reality is hovering over you in the air. It’s a small girl of all things, garbed in a blue dress, six crystalline wings protruding from her back, with a ribbon tied in her silver-blue hair. She’s levitating a chunk of ice about a span away from her hand, looking at you demandingly and smiling. There’s no doubting it now: you have officially lost your mind.

“Hey you, aren’t you going to say anything? Yeah, I bet you’re scared solid right now! You’d better be; I’m the strongest youkai ever!” She hovers down towards you and points a threatening finger right between your eyes, the hovering chunk of ice falling dramatically to the ground. “My name’s Cirno, and you’d better remember it, stupid!”

Youkai. Demons with dark powers that garb themselves in human forms and feast upon the souls of men. Children’s stories sometimes had youkai in them, but that was just to scare the kids into being good boys and girls. Those things don’t really exist…right? A respectable, intelligent man could never believe such foolishness…right?

Regardless, a youkai is standing (flying?) right in front of you, and it (she?) doesn’t seem too friendly. You’d better do something quickly before she gets bored and tampers with you mind again, or something worse.

[ ] Whip out your sword and slice that girl’s finger off!
[ ] Run towards the gate and get the guard’s attention
[ ] Act aggressively. “You don’t look so strong to me!”
[ ] Act humbly. “Okay, okay, just don’t eat me!”
[ ] Act questioningly. “How do you know you’re the strongest?”
>> No. 19522
{X} Act questioningly. “How do you know you’re the strongest?”
>> No. 19523
[X] Act questioningly. “How do you know you’re the strongest?”
>> No. 19524
[x] "How do you know know that you are the strongest? I heard this guard here is supposed to be stronger..."
>> No. 19525
[X] Act affectionately. "Cirno, huh? You're pretty cool for such a cute girl!"

Anon used confusion?
>> No. 19527
[X] "What's your last name? Strong people need a last name."

While Cirno's brain reboots, let's wake up China and accost her.
>> No. 19528
>>19498
>It is difficult to write when one is not home, instead pursing the knowledge that the universities of this world teach. Nor is it easy to upload when one's internet connection falls to a storm.Also, "Zakeri" I am not, nor do I ever recall hearing the name. I believe you are mistaken.

You denial only makes my penis harder. Update RMD already, that's why I'm screaming at you Zakeri.
>> No. 19529
[x] "How do I know know that you're the strongest? I heard this guard here is supposed to be the strongest."
>> No. 19530
[x] "How do you know know that you are the strongest? I heard this guard here is supposed to be stronger..."

Keikaku Doori.
>> No. 19531
File 122047620534.jpg - (106.50KB , 555x615 , chinapose.jpg ) [iqdb]
19531
[Act questioningly. “How do you know you’re the strongest? I heard this guard here is supposed to be stronger...”]

You don’t have time to wonder if youkai exist or not. Whoever this Cirno is, she’s definitely got magical powers, and who’s to say she won’t freeze you solid the next time? Perhaps if you can keep her talking long enough you might be able to rouse the guard. If the Mistress is kind to strangers, then her guards should be as well. You just hope that kindness extends to matters of life and death. Here goes nothing…

“How do you know you’re the strongest?”

Her finger falters a little in front of your face. “Huh? What?”

You continue, a little braver this time. “How can you be sure you’re the strongest ever? Have you gone out to every person in the whole world and beaten them?”

She looks a little puzzled, and lowers her hand. “Well, no, that’s stupid! I don’t have time for that!”

“Then how do you know there isn’t someone out there stronger than you? What about that guard over there? She looks pretty tough, I bet she’s stronger than you!”

Cirno crosses her arms and makes a little “Humph!” She doesn’t seem as threatening any more, more like a mixture of annoyance and confusion. “That China girl?” she responds defiantly. “She’s too busy sleeping; she’s always sleeping. Sleepy people can’t be strong, that’s why you gotta be full of energy, like me!”

“Keep this noise up, Cirno, and you’ll soon find that I could kill you whether I’m sleeping or not. Now stop pestering the guest and run along.”

Both of you spin around to face the guard. Though her eyes are still closed and she’s still leaning on the wall, there’s no doubt that she’s definitely awake. Cirno flutters backwards a little, no longer as cocky as she was a few moments ago. You give an inward sight of relief; the cavalry has arrived. Took it’s sweet time, though.

“Aww, come on, China!” Cirno mocks. “I was having fun with Mister Stupid here, why you gotta ruin everything?” Mister Stupid? Granted, you’re no genius, but stupid’s a strong word coming from some magic girl that thinks playing tricks on people makes her the strongest in the world.

“You aren’t wanted right now. Or ever,” the guard continues. “Flap your little wings and fly out of here, or I’ll be forced to more…direct means. You are trespassing on Scarlet Devil property.”

“So is he!”

The guard wasn’t kidding about “direct means.” So suddenly you can barely see her, she kicks off against the wall and flies directly at Cirno. Right foot outstretched, she looks like a human javelin and is moving just as fast. Cirno barely manages to dodge the kick and there is a crack of sound as the guard stops her attack in mid-flight, still hovering in the air. More magic? At least this time it’s on your side.

Cirno rockets away, flapping her icy wings like a sparrow, and spins around, well out of reach of another kick. “Just you wait, stupid!” she yells. “Next time I’ll show you real good!” And with that she zooms off across the lake and out of sight.

The guard returns to the ground, satisfied, and smoothes her dress professionally. “I’m sorry about that pest,” she says, waving a hand in Cirno’s general direction. “We’ve tried for years to end her childish pranks, but it seems like she’ll never learn. I trust you’re not hurt?”

[ ] “I would have been if you would’ve waited any longer!”
[ ] “That kick was amazing! Could you teach me how to do that?”
[ ] “Why was that Cirno girl saying ‘China?’”
[ ] “What does Scarlet Devil mean?”
[ ] “What’s with all this flying? Some kind of magic?”

====================

>>19528
It seems you me that if Zakeri were writing this story, he wouldn’t have time to update RMD, whatever acronym that may be for. If he updated both at the same time, I would think the quality of both would be reduced. It is fortunate, then, that I am only myself and can write this tale unfettered by other projects.
>> No. 19532
[X] “That kick was amazing! Could you teach me how to do that?”
[X] “What’s with all this flying? Some kind of magic?”
[X] "What's your name?"
[X] “Why was that Cirno girl saying ‘China?’”
[X] “What does Scarlet Devil mean?”
[X] “What’s with all this flying? Some kind of magic?”
>> No. 19533
>>19531
Enjoy building that wall!
>> No. 19534
>>19531
Would it be too outward of me to say that your unending class and gentlemanly speech patterns have left my heart aflutter, and that your name has become one whose mere mention brings joy forth from whatever reticence it had been caught in?
>> No. 19535
[X] “That kick was amazing! Could you teach me how to do that?”
[X] "What's your name?"
[X] Introduce yourself properly.
[X] “Why was that Cirno girl saying ‘China?’”
[X] “What does Scarlet Devil mean?”
>> No. 19537
[X] “That kick was amazing! Could you teach me how to do that?”
[X] "What's your name?"
[X] Introduce yourself properly.
[X] “Why was that Cirno girl saying ‘China?’”
[X] “What does Scarlet Devil mean?”
>> No. 19538
>[ ] “That kick was amazing! Could you teach me how to do that?”

CAN I CALL YOU ONEE-SAMA?

[x] Smile. "Stirred but unshaken. Thank you for the help, Miss...?"

We were polite enough to wait for her to awaken, and we should retain said politeness.
>> No. 19539
[x] Holy fucking shit, everyone is giving reality the middle finger.
[x] Faint.
>> No. 19542
[x] Holy fucking shit, everyone is giving reality the middle finger.
[x] Faint.
>> No. 19543
[x] Holy fucking shit, everyone is giving reality the middle finger.
[x] Faint.

Anemia option
>> No. 19545
>>19531

Holy shit, my idea for a write-in actually won? I guess it's because I decided to not suggest shit like using fairy intestines as tooth floss this time around.

[x] Holy fucking shit, everyone is giving reality the middle finger.
[x] Faint.
>> No. 19546
[X] "What's your name?"
[X] Introduce yourself properly.

Get out, fainting faggots.
>> No. 19547
>>19545
Your write-in was most intriguing, as it addressed the situation in a way I hadn't contemplated. Considering that the initial option won regardless, I saw no reason to leave it out.

On a more somber note...despite the fact that this new fainting option reached 5 votes first, I have not the time to write for several hours. Upon my return, I shall recheck the status of the polls, and should a change in the winner arise, I will take it under consideration.
>> No. 19548
[x] Holy fucking shit, everyone is giving reality the middle finger.
[x] “That kick was amazing! Could you teach me how to do that?”
[x] “Why was that Cirno girl saying ‘China?’”
[x] “What does Scarlet Devil mean?”
>> No. 19549
>Upon my return, I shall recheck the status of the polls, and should a change in the winner arise, I will take it under consideration.

hint hint

[x] Smile. "Stirred but unshaken. Thank you for the help, Miss...?"

Don't assault the woman with a million questions while not even answering her own.
>> No. 19550
[x] Smile. "Stirred but unshaken. Thank you for the help, Miss...?"
>> No. 19551
[X] Smile. "Stirred but unshaken. Thank you for the help, Miss...?"
>> No. 19552
[x] Smile. "Stirred but unshaken. Thank you for the help, Miss...?"
>> No. 19553
[x] Smile. "Stirred but unshaken. Thank you for the help, Miss...?"
>> No. 19554
Suppose I can break a tie here. Consider >>19545 changed to :

[x] Smile. "Stirred but unshaken. Thank you for the help, Miss...?"
>> No. 19555
[x] Smile. "Stirred but unshaken. Thank you for the help, Miss...?"

We're guests in a mansion, gotta act up to the part.
>> No. 19556
[x] Smile. "Stirred but unshaken. Thank you for the help, Miss...?"

I'm voting for this, but this totally looks like spam
>> No. 19559
[X] Smile. "Stirred but unshaken. Thank you for the help, Miss...?"
>> No. 19560
File 122050651168.jpg - (64.44KB , 375x500 , gateatnight.jpg ) [iqdb]
19560
It appears that I return to find matters not much better than when I left it. These similar, sequential posts reek of rotting spam, but I did say I would take it under consideration should the situation change. Perhaps in this matter it might simply be best to split the difference as best I can.

====================

[Smile. "Stirred but unshaken. Thank you for the help, Miss...?"]
[Ask multiple questions]
[Everyone is giving reality the middle finger! Faint]


Your head is racing with questions right now, so many you don’t really even know to begin. What’s China? What’s Scarlet Devil? What’s with the flying? Can I learn to kick like that? These unanswered thoughts coupled with the complete departure from reality, as well as your exhaustion from days of wilderness travel, begin to make your head feel light, almost like you’re going to faint out of consciousness. Not quite sure of yourself right now, you decide it best to be polite; the guard did save your life, or she probably did at least. Plus, it’d be good to make an impression on the people here if you’ll be their guest for a while.

“Stirred but unshaken,” you answer wearily, managing a weak smile. “Thank you for your help, Miss…?”

“Meiling,” she answers, straightening her cap. “Miss Hong Meiling. And before you ask, because I just know you’re going to, ‘China’ is a persistent nickname of mine the more immature inhabitants of this area call me, that twat Cirno included. I’d prefer if you just forgot about it.”

“Duly noted. Anyways, I heard that your Mistress was offering food and shelter for travelers. Could I spend the night?”

An odd flicker passes through her blue eyes, so undetectable you’d have missed it had you not been looking right at them at the time. First they look surprised, then contemplative, then sad, and then for the tiniest fraction of a second you spot something that just doesn’t belong in such a pretty woman like Miss Meiling, you just can’t tell what it is. The strange flicker is gone before you get a second look, however, and you’re so focused on trying to puzzle it out that you miss her response.

“Sorry, I must have missed that. I’m pretty tired, you know,” you say.

She grins and shakes her head. “That’s fine. I said the Mistress would be delighted to have your company. Come on, I’ll open the gate.”

She pulls out a small keyring and flips through them, stopping on a heavy black one that looks very old. Inserting it into the center of the gate, the hinges groan as she pushes the doors open and motions you through. You begin to walk through, and are about to ask Meiling something quickly when your mind simply gives out on you, finally unable to cope with the building stress your subconscious has been retaining. You stumble for a few meters before falling to the ground, senses dull.

Hong Meiling runs over to you and asks a hurried question, but you can’t comprehend what she’s saying. Getting no response, she yells over towards what you guess would be the Mistress’s house, your ears only picking up bits and pieces of the message.

“Sakuya! Sa-ya---yoi! Stop---room---leanin---nd---ere!”

As your sight fails and you fall into blackness you can here a shuffling near you and feel you body being moved around. The last thing you remember before passing out completely is a single phrase, the speaker unknown.

“…Take good care of this one. He’ll be interesting…I just know it…”

END OF THE FIRST DAY

====================

Now that you have entered within the walls of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, I will do my best to really open up the story as best I can. Truthfully, the story has seemed a mite too pushy thus far, and I wish to have you, rather than I, carve your own path. Write-in options will be gladly accepted, so feel free to try a different direction if mine appear restrictive or incomplete. Simply remember that you are part of a larger story, and this adventurer does not have the knowledge of the mansion that you do.

Additionally, I would like to remind you that the current voting system is a “First to Five” plan; vote-spamming past five will not help matters. Both you and I are trying to enjoy this experience together; cheating at the polls will only bring me confusion and grief, which can easily come back to hurt you. While I doubt my request will be respected for very long, if at all, I feel it best to make my problems known.

The second day shall commence tomorrow morning. For now, I shall retire.
>> No. 19561
>>19534
I suddenly realized who this writefag sounds like: Tetro's Hina.

And now I can't stop fapping whenever they write non-update text.
>> No. 19562
>“Sakuya! Sa-ya---yoi! Stop---room---leanin---nd---ere!”

I see what you did there.
>> No. 19563
>>19561
Oh goddamn you
>> No. 19564
>“Sakuya! Sa-ya---yoi! Stop---room---leanin
I do believe I have observed what you caused to transpire there.
>> No. 19567
>>19561

Hina or not, I have to state how relaxing it is to read. There's just something about how polite and proper it is that makes me happy.
>> No. 19570
> “Sakuya! Sa-ya---yoi! Stop---room---leanin---nd---ere!”

China sure got guts to talk to the head maid like that. Don't say she managed to wrest free from the shackles of oppression and turn the tables on the perfect, elegant maid?
>> No. 19571
The persistent strain of finding pictures to accompany my posts has increased beyond an acceptable level, as it took nearly a half-hour of drowsy searching to find the last one. Thus, I shall save them for thread beginnings only, as other writers have done in the past. It is only a matter of time before my lack of Gensokyan art catches up with me, anyways.

====================

DAWN OF THE SECOND DAY

Your eyes dart from one side of your face to the next, searching for something, anything that makes sense. Random images flash through your conscious mind, barely distinguishable from each other, bombarding you with uncertainty. “This has to be a dream,” you think to yourself. “Real life can’t be this insane.” You push your will forwards, running without legs, yelling without a mouth, trying to break through the barrier between dreams and reality. Vague forces, unseen but still felt, press in on you from all sides, dragging you this way and that, removing your will to escape. As the madness continues it grows more detached, more sketchy, until everything becomes a hurricane of chaos. You desperately reach out for a light, a hope, a chance, anything that can save you, but the whirlwind blocks it all out. The final signal you receive before losing everything is a sound you’ve heard many times before, and you’ve never liked it.

The sound of a lock, clicking into place.

~~~~~~~~~~

The morning sun hits your face through a crack in the drawn curtains of the room, and you groggily lift a hand from your bed to shield your eyes from it’s rays. Mornings have always been a double-edged sword for you; they signify a new day with new possibilities, but on the other hand…wait, curtains? Bed? Your head snaps up and swivels around, observing your surroundings.

You lie in a large four-poster bed within an elegantly furnished bedroom. The wood of the furniture around you is some rich red wood, highly polished, and the walls are fashioned with intricate designs that seem better suited for paintings. All objects you can see-the armoire in the corner, the tea table in the center of the room, even the numerous candlesticks-are all of the highest quality and magnificently crafted. The best carpenters and metalworkers in your village would gape at the refinement of what you see before you. An odd cord hangs from the ceiling near the door; you remember hearing that rich people often have bells in their mansions to call for servants, perhaps that’s what it’s for? Flipping through the pages within your mind, you try and sort it all out.

Yes, that’s right…you were walking towards the Mistress’s mansion when you passed out. Hong Meiling, or maybe one of the servants, must have brought you inside and brought you here. From what you’ve seen so far, the mansion is living up to the picture you painted in your mind, and surpassing that picture won’t be too hard, if everything is as grand as this bedroom is.

Pushing the soft down covers back, you slide your feet to the ground. Hmm, seems you’re wearing nothing but your underclothes. The thought of some woman undressing you as you sleep makes you…no, stay focused. You’re not here to fantasize about women; you’re an honored guest in a grand mansion. If you want to repay the Mistress’s hospitality, you’d better try and act refined…as refined as a village farmboy can act, at least.

Choose up to two options:
[ ] Pull back the curtains and look outside
[ ] Investigate the room
[ ] Search for your clothes & possessions
[ ] Look in the armoire for more elegant attire

Then:
[ ] Pull the cord by the door
[ ] Return to the bed and rest some more
[ ] Open the door and wander around the halls

====================

>>19534
>>19567
In this speedy world where short phrases and grunts all too often replace meaningful conversation, a phrase with depth and refinement can achieve so much more than a simple “Yeah, whatever,” or perhaps an “omg lol wut?” Kindness, tact, humility, and even wit can be conveyed with far greater impact when one decides to choose a more intelligent dialect (I draw your attention to >>19564).

I appreciate your kindness, and I thank you in turn.
>> No. 19574
[X] Pull back the curtains and look outside
[X] Investigate the room

Then:
[X] Pull the cord by the door
>> No. 19575
>>19571
[X] Pull back the curtains and look outside
[X] Search for your clothes & possessions
Then:
[X] Pull the cord by the door
>> No. 19576
[X] Pull back the curtains and look outside
[X] Search for your clothes & possessions
If they are nowhere to be found:
[X] Look in the armoire for more elegant attire

Then:
[X] Open the door and wander around the halls
Door turns out to be locked:
[X] Pull the cord by the door
>> No. 19579
>>19576

This guy seems legit.

[X] Pull back the curtains and look outside
[X] Search for your clothes & possessions
If they are nowhere to be found:
[X] Look in the armoire for more elegant attire

Then:
[X] Open the door and wander around the halls
Door turns out to be locked:
[X] Pull the cord by the door
>> No. 19581
[X] Pull back the curtains and look outside
[X] Search for your clothes & possessions
If they are nowhere to be found:
[X] Look in the armoire for more elegant attire

Then:
[X] Open the door and wander around the halls
Door turns out to be locked:
[X] Pull the cord by the door
>> No. 19591
[x] Pull back the curtains and look outside
[x] Search for your clothes & possessions
If they are nowhere to be found:
[x] Look in the armoire for more elegant attire

Then:
[x] Open the door and wander around the halls
Door turns out to be locked:
[x] Pull the cord by the door

We require more votespene gas.
>> No. 19594
[Pull back the curtains and look outside]
[Search for your clothes & possessions, then…]
[Look in the armoire for more elegant attire]
[Open the door and wander around the halls, or…]
[Pull the cord by the door]

Stretching out on the bed for a moment to get the kinks out of your muscles, you stand up and walk around the room. Your body feels sore, but definitely better now that you’ve had a night in a proper, soft bed. Moving towards the window, you pull the curtains aside to view your surroundings.

You’re blinded temporarily as the reflection off the lake’s water bounces bright sunlight into your eyes. Cupping your hand over them and squinting slightly, you get your first good view of the island. It’s not very big; in fact, you could probably run from one side to the other in a few minutes if you tried. It’s surrounded on most sides by a beach strewn with pebbles, and slowly slopes upwards through a sparse wood, culminating with the high brick wall you met Miss Meiling at. The mansion grounds themselves are really not much to speak of, just green grass with a pathway here or there. Then again, it’s hard to get a full view from this particular window; you’ll have to remember to get a better look later.

Curiosity satiated on at least one front, your next order of business is to find your worldly possessions. A quick glance yields nothing, and even a more thorough search is troublesome. Your clothes are nowhere to be found, though you do find your bag stuffed underneath the bed. Strange, why would anyone put it there where it could easily get lost? Rummaging through it to see if your clothes are inside, you discover that not only are your garments missing, but many other things as well.

In your pack you have:
+A compass. It’s crudely made, but very trustworthy.
+A thick diary. One day its pages will be full of adventures…
+A coin pouch. Contains all the money you own…which isn’t much.

On your person you have:
+A pair of undershorts. Made of cotton to prevent chafing.

Strange, why would someone take all your adventuring gear while you were sleeping? Granted, you won’t really need it while staying here, and you’re fairly certain there’s much better to be had around the mansion if you ask for it, but it’s still a bit unsettling.

But never mind this now, you can’t be going about the mansion without clothes. Out of curiosity you open the armoire in the corner, and are rewarded with garments: fine silk garb with the very essence of elegance woven into them. Not even the wealthiest man in the old village had clothes so fine! You resist the urge to find the fanciest, most ostentatious suit and put it on; a guest probably shouldn’t be better dressed than the host. You settle for a smooth linen shirt and fine grey pants with a green silk vest over top. Nothing outlandish, but much better than what you were wearing last night. You can’t find any shoes, however; seems you’ll have to walk barefoot for the time being.

You take a few steps back and admire yourself in the armoire’s mirrored doors. Not bad, not bad at all. You still feel soiled with sweat and dirt, and you could use a shave, but not too shabby. As you put your hands inside the pants pockets, you feel a small object roll across your fingers. It’s a capped fountain pen, still full of ink. Odd that it would be sitting in a pair of old pants, wouldn’t the ink ruin them? You carefully place it inside your knapsack for future use.

Feeling finally ready to start a day, you reach for the door handle to the hall. Strange, the door seems to be locked. You don’t see a key in the keyhole; perhaps a servant locked you in so you wouldn’t be disturbed? Seeing no other option, you give the pull cord a tug. It definitely gives a little, but you can’t hear anything else happening. You pull a few more times for good measure, and suddenly you hear the clicking of a lock and the door opens.

Standing in front of you is a woman dressed in a stereotypical maid’s uniform: dark blue dress, white apron, frilly white sleeves, and even a small bonnet on her head. Similar to Hong Meiling, she has two braids in the front of her hair, though it’s much shorter than the guards’ is. Though she looks to be in her early twenties, her hair is grey…no, maybe silver, not that it’s any more natural. She’s holding a key in one hand, and balancing a tray of tea and biscuits on the other.

“Good morning, sir,” she greets, her voice kind but very professional. “I hope you’ve had a pleasant sleep after that nasty fall you took last night; gave our dear door guard quite a shock I must say. If you’re wondering about your possessions, they are being cleaned and will be returned shortly. I am Ms. Izayoi, and you may refer to me as such. As chief maid of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, it is my job to make your stay here as comfortable as possible. Should you have any concerns, simply ring any of the servant bells, and I won’t be far behind.”

Choose up to four options:
[ ] “Exactly how comfortable is ‘comfortable’?”
[ ] “Could I have some of those biscuits?”
[ ] “Why did you move all my things around?”
[ ] “What’s with this ‘Scarlet Devil’ business?”
[ ] “Is this place magical or something?”
[ ] "Can I get a tour of the Mansion?"
[ ] “Can I meet this Mistress of yours?”
[ ] “???” Write-in questions encouraged!

Also:
[ ] Discuss questions here
[ ] Discuss questions while strolling the halls
[ ] Discuss questions over breakfast
>> No. 19595
[x]"Pleased to make your acquaintance, Ms. Izayoi"
[x]Ask her about who carried you inside.
[x]"Can I meet the mistress of this mansion? I need to pay my respects to the gracious host."

POLITAN GAEMS
>> No. 19597
>[ ] “???” Write-in questions encouraged!

[x] "I'll presume that I haven't overstepped in borrowing these clothes then?"
[x] "As delicious as those biscuits look, I could really use a bath. I feel like I'm dirtying the decor just by looking at it."
[x] "You wouldn't have a razor to lend me, would you?" (knife GET)
[x] "Such hospitality to a simple wayfarer is unexpected, perhaps even intimidating; does your Mistress entertain guests often?"

[x] Discuss questions here
[x] Discuss questions while strolling the halls
>> No. 19599
[x] "I'll presume that I haven't overstepped in borrowing these clothes then?"
[x] "As delicious as those biscuits look, I could really use a bath. I feel like I'm dirtying the decor just by looking at it."
[x] "You wouldn't have a razor to lend me, would you?" (knife GET)
[x] "Such hospitality to a simple wayfarer is unexpected, perhaps even intimidating; does your Mistress entertain guests often?"

[x] Discuss questions here
[x] Discuss questions while strolling the halls
>> No. 19600
Modified slightly, since you should address her by her name in acknowledgment of her having said it. Guests are never obliged to introduce themselves to servants, even in response--and certainly not before introducing themselves to the master of the household. So, we are paying attention to the rules of decorum here.

[†] "I'll presume that I haven't overstepped in borrowing these clothes then?"
[†] "Ms. Izayoi, as delicious as those biscuits look, I could really use a bath. I feel like I'm dirtying the decor just by looking at it."
[†] "You wouldn't have a razor to lend me, would you?"
[†] "Such hospitality to a simple wayfarer is unexpected, perhaps even intimidating; does your Mistress entertain guests often?"

[⌛] Discuss questions here
[⌛] Discuss questions while strolling the halls

I don't think Sakuya can resist the temptation to freak us by pulling a knife out from under her skirt as soon as we ask.
>> No. 19601
>>19600
Whatever you say, Boss. Changing vote.

[x] "I'll presume that I haven't overstepped in borrowing these clothes then?"
[x] "Ms. Izayoi, as delicious as those biscuits look, I could really use a bath. I feel like I'm dirtying the decor just by looking at it."
[x] "You wouldn't have a razor to lend me, would you?"
[x] "Such hospitality to a simple wayfarer is unexpected, perhaps even intimidating; does your Mistress entertain guests often?"

[x] Discuss questions here
[x] Discuss questions while strolling the halls
>> No. 19602
[x] "I'll presume that I haven't overstepped in borrowing these clothes then?"
[x] "Ms. Izayoi, as delicious as those biscuits look, I could really use a bath. I feel like I'm dirtying the decor just by looking at it."
[x] "You wouldn't have a razor to lend me, would you?"
[x] "Such hospitality to a simple wayfarer is unexpected, perhaps even intimidating; does your Mistress entertain guests often?"

[x] Discuss questions here
[x] Discuss questions while strolling the halls

This Sakuya is just... TOO professional. Some part of me wants to crack open that shell and find out what she's hiding from us.

I bet she fucks like a tiger.
>> No. 19603
[x] "I'll presume that I haven't overstepped in borrowing these clothes then?"
[x] "Ms. Izayoi, as delicious as those biscuits look, I could really use a bath. I feel like I'm dirtying the decor just by looking at it."
[x] "You wouldn't have a razor to lend me, would you?"
[x] "Such hospitality to a simple wayfarer is unexpected, perhaps even intimidating; does your Mistress entertain guests often?"

[x] Discuss questions here
[x] Discuss questions while strolling the halls

ok
>> No. 19604
[x] "I'll presume that I haven't overstepped in borrowing these clothes then?"
[x] "Ms. Izayoi, as delicious as those biscuits look, I could really use a bath. I feel like I'm dirtying the decor just by looking at it."
[x] "You wouldn't have a razor to lend me, would you?"
[x] "Such hospitality to a simple wayfarer is unexpected, perhaps even intimidating; does your Mistress entertain guests often?"

[x] Discuss questions here

Fixed.
>> No. 19605
The next portion of my tale is half-penned, but I fear that in my drowsiness I will not do it justice. I shall sleep first before continuing; you are welcome to do the same.
>> No. 19606
You all did realize we're going to be food, and that the pen is from the previous owner of the pants?

I think we should start making a habit of making journal entries.
>> No. 19607
>>19606
>I think we should start making a habit of making journal entries.

Actually, this is a good idea; a roll-back point at the end of the night, which can be later used as a plot device, others acting differently the following day (having read the entry) depending on what you've written; some like Flandre might even go so far as to make their own annotations. And I imagine that when we run out of ink, we'll can just prick our fingers.

Hell, someone might've written something in it already. When we get back to our room we should examine our belongings thoroughly. As well as check the pockets of the other clothes in our wardrobe.
>> No. 19608
File 122060410651.jpg - (153.79KB , 598x600 , 152452c922dcf9367ab07468ecd2b131.jpg ) [iqdb]
19608
>>19606
Depends how closely this is following canon. I'm sure Remi's luring people in to get a fresh meal once in a while, but it shouldn't be enough to kill us. The vampires have other (probably less preferable) sources of food.

...I wouldn't mind "donating" some blood in exchange for the lodging.
>> No. 19609
[†] "I'll presume that I haven't overstepped in borrowing these clothes then?"
[†] "Ms. Izayoi, as delicious as those biscuits look, I could really use a bath. I feel like I'm dirtying the decor just by looking at it."
[†] "You wouldn't have a razor to lend me, would you?"
[†] "Such hospitality to a simple wayfarer is unexpected, perhaps even intimidating; does your Mistress entertain guests often?"

[⌛] Discuss questions here
[⌛] Discuss questions while strolling the halls

This seems fine.
>> No. 19610
["I'll presume that I haven't overstepped in borrowing these clothes then?"]
["Ms. Izayoi, as delicious as those biscuits look, I could really use a bath. I feel like I'm dirtying the decor just by looking at it."]
["You wouldn't have a razor to lend me, would you?"]
["Such hospitality to a simple wayfarer is unexpected, perhaps even intimidating; does your Mistress entertain guests often?"]
[Discuss the questions both here and strolling the halls]

Now is the time to really show that you can act like a gentleman. Fainting in front of the mansion doors wasn’t exactly a good first impression, so perhaps you can smooth things over for the better with some distinguished speech.

“I presume that I haven’t overstepped my place in borrowing these clothes, then?” you respond with all the refinement you can muster.

She closes her eyes and gives her head a little shake. “No, no, it’s quite all right. The Mistress had me prepare your wardrobe especially for your arrival. Are you quite satisfied with the selection?”

“Most assuredly. I can’t remember the last time I wore clothes so fine.” This is because you never have, of course, but best not to bring that up right now. You wonder if Ms. Izayoi can see through your guise or not. Whether she does or not, she doesn’t show it. Replacing the key in her apron pocket, she lowers the tea tray and now holds it with both hands.

“You’re most gracious,” she continues. “I had hoped to have this tea ready before you woke, so that you could break your fast without waiting long. Meiling mentioned you looked quite famished last night.”

You glance at the tray longingly, hoping your stomach doesn’t give away your raging hunger. It’s been too long since you’ve had a full meal, or even something besides stale water and stale bread, not to mention that Ms. Izayoi prepared those biscuits just for you. But you just don’t think you could restrain yourself if you took even one bite, and it might be even ruder of you to wolf them all down and ask for more, as if you implied she didn’t make enough. No, what you need is a full breakfast. Except…ohh, you don’t want to be walking around the mansion smelling like a dank forest, better wash up first. Being a “gentleman” is going to be harder than you thought…

"Ms. Izayoi, as delicious as those biscuits look, I could really do with a wash first. I’ve been traveling for days, mind, and I feel like I’m dirtying the décor just by looking at it.”

“Certainly. A bath has already been drawn for you, please follow me.” Already drawn? First the tea and now a bath; this mansion’s service must put others to shame! You wonder if every guest is treated like this, or just the ones who collapse on the front doorstep.

She sets the tea tray on a nearby table and walks away from the door with you in tow. The hallway you’re in is just as rich as the bedroom, with beautiful tapestries dotting the red walls, intermixed with finely polished gas lamps. It is only a short walk to the washroom, but you manage to ask a question before you arrive.

“I must compliment the establishment on its hospitality. Such service to a simple wayfarer like myself is quite unexpected, and I must admit a little intimidating. Does your Mistress entertain guests often?”

The maid nods. “Very much so. It is rare when the manor does not have at leave one guest within its walls. The Mistress enjoys knowing that her house is being put to good use. This is quite an old estate as well, and the generations of servants in the past have had plenty of time to hone their skills and pass on what they know.”

You’d like to ask her even just one question more, but both of you are already outside the washroom door, and you think it best not to keep Ms. Izayoi from her duties any longer. Running your hand across the ragged stubble on your chin, you almost forget to ask her for a razor.

“You wouldn't have a razor to lend me, would you?" you ask. “I’d like to look my best while staying here, if it can be helped.”

She stares at you for just a moment longer than usual before rummaging through her apron pockets and pulling out a fine ivory-clad razor, which she passes to you. How did she know to keep a razor for you? Lucky guess perhaps. No, anyone could see that you’re not trying to grow a beard, she must simply be prepared for anything. Or at least most things. “Forgive my absentmindedness, I was unsure as to what you meant,” she explains. “You’ll find ample supplies for shaving and washing laid out on the counter near the bath. Ring the bell once you’re finished, and a maid will take you down to breakfast.”

You thank her for her services, and wait for her to start walking away before you step inside the room. Just as elegant inside here, too: marble floors and counters, polished silver taps, and a gigantic wall-length mirror that has started to mist over with the steam from the bath. You lock the door for privacy measures, making sure that you can unlock it from this side; it’d be quite embarrassing to ring for a servant just because you locked yourself in. Folding your clothes up on the counter, you slip into the refreshing bathwater. A little too refreshing, actually; the water is still quite hot. It fades from your mind quickly, however, and you’re soon in a world of bliss as the invigorating liquid eases your muscles. You grab a cake of soap and scrub yourself down good, the water darkening slightly as the caked grime from you skin peels off, and stew in your own private thoughts for a while.

Realizing it might take a while for you to shave, you step out of the tub and dry yourself off with a thick red towel. You only slip on your undershorts for now, in case you accidentally cut yourself shaving. No sense bleeding on such fine clothes, plus you don’t know if it’s hard to get blood out of silk. Flipping open the razor, you lather your face with shaving cream and begin to remove the stubble from your chin and neck. The mirror’s a bit foggy, so you use your other hand to wipe in clean. As you do, you notice a message written in the corner where the fog has failed to condense around the letters. It is only a single word, written in a steady hand:

CAUTION

Caution? Caution about what? Who wrote this, and what is it supposed to mean? No one was in here while you bathed, so someone must have written this during a previous bath. It makes no sense to you at the moment, so you discard it from your mind and finish the task at hand. Donning your clothes again, you ring the servant’s bell, and a maid is there shortly.

Her uniform is similar to Ms. Izayoi’s, but red rather than blue, and more simplistic. Also, there’s those strange fairy-like wings on her back again, just like the boat guard. Must be a fashion statement. She bows her head and motions you to follow, which you do. As you turn a corner, you spot something in another corridor that just doesn’t belong with the rest of the mansion you’ve see thus far: a man. He’s doesn’t see you, or doesn’t care about you if he has, and before a second has passed he’s already walked out of sight.

[ ] Call out to the man
[ ] Run after the man
[ ] Ask the maid to follow the man with you
[ ] Ignore him, ask to return to your room
[ ] Ignore him, go straight to breakfast

====================

I am quite glad to see that you are using your brain as more than just a means to tap keys on a keyboard. Considering where I plan to go with this adventure, you’re going to need it. I shall now resist the urge to laugh maniacally like a deranged mastermind.
>> No. 19611
You're channeling The Shining here. So far, it seems to be working quite well.

[x] Ignore him, go straight to breakfast

No sense freaking out the maid over what could be a red herring or a hallucination. If it is the ghost of a past guest, we'll see him again soon enough. In-character we would assume he's male staff, since he isn't being lead around like a guest, and he wouldn't just ignore you completely if he was one of the owners.

>“Forgive my absentmindedness, I was unsure as to what you meant,” she explains.
I don't think she's just covering up for timestop here. I assume a previous guest suicided with a razor in the bathroom.

Do we still have that razor on us?
>> No. 19612
[†] Ignore him, go straight to breakfast

But when we get the chance, we're going to sweep through that room with a fine-toothed comb for clues. Go through all of those clothes. Check behind and under all the furniture. Look under the mattress. Breathe on the glass surfaces to see if any more notes were left. Try using that pen to write something in your journal.

Also, I think we should keep that compass on us. Maybe I'm presumptuous in assuming it's a MacGuffin, but there should be a reason she didn't take it unlike the rest of our belongings. And if we get lost in the Mansion (or dungeon, or hedge maze), it might be of help.

>Do we still have that razor on us?

Interesting oversight. Given how she took our weapons away, I'll bet she'll become antsy when she realizes she left it with us and we didn't leave it in the bathroom.
>> No. 19613
[X] Ignore him, go straight to breakfast
>> No. 19614
>“Forgive my absentmindedness, I was unsure as to what you meant,” she explains.

"Hey, Sakuya! Do the thing with the knife!"
>> No. 19615
[x] Ignore him, go straight to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200
>> No. 19616
File 122064410986.jpg - (40.55KB , 1022x574 , g-man.jpg ) [iqdb]
19616
>>19610
>a man. He’s doesn’t see you, or doesn’t care about you if he has, and before a second has passed he’s already walked out of sight.
>> No. 19617
>>19616
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
>> No. 19620
[x] Ignore him, go straight to breakfast
>> No. 19622
[Ignore him, go straight to breakfast]

Whoever the mystery man is, you’re fairly certain you could find him again if you really wanted to. As imposing as this mansion is, it can’t be so large that you can’t find someone again, especially if you’re searching for a man amongst what is looking to be an all-female staff. Plus, you wouldn’t want your breakfast to get cold; act like a gentleman and all that. Trying to put the male figure out of your mind for the time being, you silently continue to follow your guide.

Along the way you spot other maids running to and fro, cleaning and carrying assorted items. Their antics almost make them appear comical, considering they’re all much shorter than you and have those silly wings on their backs. You suddenly wonder if you should be wearing wings as well, to blend in as best as possible. But then again, the important people you’ve met so far, Meiling and Izayoi, didn’t have them. A sign of rank, perhaps?

A descent down a side stairwell and a few hallways later, you are admitted to the dining room with another bow from the fairy. The room is large, but a single round table is the only prominent piece of furniture within it, though it’s certainly big enough for over a dozen to eat at. It is already laden with an immaculate spread of food: sizzling eggs and bacon, cinnamon-frosted buns, a large bowl of fruit, and much more you simply can’t describe. It all looks positively delicious, but…the table is set for two? You wonder who else could be dining with you. Not…the Mistress?!

“If I might impose, you clean up quite well, sir,” Ms. Izayoi comments.

You give a slight jump; you didn’t see her standing next to the table.

“I thank you for your observation, but it’s really nothing,” you answer. “Just a quick shave and bath is all. But, if I may ask…who will be joining me for breakfast this morning? I see the table’s set for two.”

She chuckles slightly. “Oh, I doubt anyone will be. But it is always best to leave a spot open, just in case. Please, sit, eat. You’re not going to impress anyone by starving yourself.”

Placing yourself at the table and spreading a napkin over you lap as you remember refined people doing, you start filling your plate with nearly everything on the table, Ms. Izayoi helping you with the dishes you can’t reach. From the very first bite you can instantly tell this is the best meal you’ve ever eaten, and perhaps will ever eat. Food, glorious food! Your taste buds sing with joy as every bite radiates a wave of pleasure you never thought possible from simply eating a meal. You’re so engrossed in the breakfast you barely hear the head maid say, “Well, good day, Mr. Nathaniel! I must say I didn’t expect to see you here. Up all night in the library again, I assume?”

As you turn to see what is transpiring, you almost lose your grip on your fork. It’s the same man from before! He’s dressed similarly to you, but with a brown vest, and the clothes seem to suit him better. His face resembles what your face did before you had your bath & shave, very unkempt and tired. His dirty-blonde hair seems to have been slicked back once, but it’s all out of place at the moment. The far chair squeaks as he slides up to the table.

“Just about,” he replies, his voice as tired as his face. “That second spring broke again, took me hours getting it in place. Turns out the book I was using is at least four decades out of date, too; even Miss Patchouli had trouble finding a newer one. Figured I’d stop by for a light…what meal is this, anyways?”

“It is breakfast, Mr. Nathaniel.”

Figuresh,” he continues, chewing a buttered roll as he talks. “Oh, and it’sh twenty-sheven to two, now, it cashe you were wondering.” He takes a long draw from a glass of water, and for the first time notices that you and he are sharing the same table. “Who’s he?”

“A new guest, Mr. Nathaniel. He arrived just last night, quite exhausted. The Mistress would prefer it if you show him some kindness.”

Nathaniel simply stares at you, unspeaking, unmoving. His gaze isn’t exactly oppressive, just…odd, like he doesn’t know what to do with you. You avert your eyes to try and break the awkward silence, but he just keeps staring. Finally, he responds:

“Well then, stranger, seems like you and me are going to be housemates for a while. Just a quick word, then: Keep your chin up, keep your nose to the grindstone, and if you break any of my things I swear to God that you’ll die for it.” He lets you stew in shock for a few seconds before adding, “Then again, I suppose we all die in the end no matter what we do. Now, as magnificent as this meal is, Miss Sakuya, that wire’ll be hot by now, and I’ll not be scorching her property again. Word to the wise, friend…” He’s addressing you, now. “…Don’t you ever burn a book in front of a librarian.” And with that a-typical conversation over, he grabs an apple, stuffs it in his pocket, and is out the door without another word.

[ ] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions (Write-ins only)
[ ] Finish eating, follow Nathaniel
[ ] Finish eating, return to your room
[ ] Finish eating, explore the Mansion aimlessly
[ ] Finish eating, travel to (input destination)

====================

>>19611
Most interesting, considering I have not seen the film. While I am now tempted to do so, a portion of me holds back. Better to create ideas from my own mind than to reuse another’s. And yet, better also to learn from those who have come before me than to muck about untrained and unknowledgeable. This is a paradox not easily solved.

>>19615
You have no idea what you have just done…
>> No. 19623
>>19622

While I must say I am astounded that you've avoided seeing such a classic and influential film as long as you have, I carry much confidence that you would do well enough creating your own ideas even after your first viewing. If your samples of writing to date are any indication of your abilities, the rest of this story will undoubtedly gain infamy as one of the most chillingly atmospheric tales to have graced these image boards.

I would highly recommend watching The Shining, given the chance, as not only is it widely considered a masterpiece in horror but you would then have a vivid idea of the thoughts and feelings you incur in Anonymous. With such knowledge, would it not be easier for you to mold the shape of the story to your liking?
>> No. 19624
I wonder if we should let this paranoid feeling start to show in the options we choose/write in.

I would say we should start doing things... carefully.
Not acting visibly cautiously. Just... carefully.
We've got an unexplained pen in our pockets, our possessions are missing (supposedly accounted for, but they're not in our possession, and that's the critical point, here.), and most suspiciously, there was a warning written to the next person to use the bathroom.
Specifically, a warning written in a way that would hide it from any of the staff, and would only reveal itself to a guest using that room.

Someone that was not normally staying at the mansion believed there to be something to warn others who came after him.
Perhaps we should look at the rest of that mirror.
Writing notes in our journal would also be smart.

But do not let the suspicion and worry show through. There may --ever so possibly-- be nothing at all wrong, and noticeable distrust on our part would be rude and insulting on our part. But even if there is something afoot, then giving away that we are aware something is off will mean they will not treat us lightly if they should decide to pull something, and we can't afford to lose the element of expectation.

tl;dr, Unfocused minds fumble.
>> No. 19625
>You have no idea what you have just done…

Are you going to write a BAD END where Flandre or Remilia uppercut our head off like a Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robot after we draw out a Monopoly game for as long as we possibly can before winning?
>> No. 19630
[x] Finish eating, follow Nathaniel

He actually seemed to be busy doing something here. I want to know what.
>> No. 19631
[x] Finish eating, follow Nathaniel

Eh.
>> No. 19632
>>19611
Indeed, I was getting an unsettling Shining vibe. SDM really lends itself to analogies with the film far too easily (Kubrick version only; not familiar with novel/updated TV version). It's good to know U N Owen hasn't seen the film. Hallucinatory barkeep Suika would probably put me over the edge.
>>19623
Agreeing with above mentioned anon. Purchased the film on blue ray for a friend that had just completed his conversion to a full on home-theater setup. Truly worth the investment in time. Didn't sleep too well that night, though.

Has anyone noticed that U N Owen's propensity for elaborate speech patterns rubs off on the anons? I'm savoring every moment of it. Anyway...

>>19622
[X] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions: "Can I assume Mr. Nathaniel has boarded here for some measure of time now?"
[X] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions: "Mr. Nathaniel appears to be quite skilled in a trade I am not entirely familiar with; can you enlighten me?"
[X] Finish eating, explore the Mansion aimlessly

I wanted to include a question about Ms. Patchouli, but wandering increases our chance to encounter Flandre, and I cannot describe my anticipation in seeing U N Owen's depiction of Flan.
>> No. 19633
This being a guest at a Vampire's home and writing in a journal also calls to mind Dracula...

[X] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions.
[ ] "Ms. Izayoi, may I ask when I will have the honor of meeting the Mistress providing such hospitality, so that I may express my gratitude?"
[ ] "May I ask where my other belonging have been stored? It's not of any particular urgency to me, but I would like to have the peace of mind it would bring to know."
>> No. 19635
>“Well, good day, Mr. Nathaniel! I must say I didn’t expect to see you here. Up all night in the library again, I assume?”

Ah, our canary in the mineshaft.

>Then again, I suppose we all die in the end no matter what we do.

This is a hint. Despite how this man may act while under observation, he is not our enemy.

[X] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions: "Can I assume Mr. Nathaniel has boarded here for some measure of time now?"
[X] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions: "Mr. Nathaniel appears to be quite skilled in a trade I am not entirely familiar with; can you enlighten me?"
[X] Finish eating, return to your room

Scour that fucking place for clues.

Also,
[x] Inventory

Do we still have the razor?
>> No. 19636
[X] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions: "Can I assume Mr. Nathaniel has boarded here for some measure of time now?"
[X] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions: "Mr. Nathaniel appears to be quite skilled in a trade I am not entirely familiar with; can you enlighten me?"
[X] Finish eating, explore the Mansion aimlessly

why return to the room when they're so much for a young man to discover in this new household
>> No. 19637
>>19636
>why return to the room when they're so much for a young man to discover in this new household

because survival
>> No. 19638
When inspiration strikes a man, true inspiration of the purest kind, he can do nothing but act upon it until his mind is settled. All else fades into nothingness as his dream is fulfilled before his very eyes. Thus, upon a single humorous comment, I write. I know not what I shall write, but write I shall. May God and man forgive me for the abomination I have penned...

====================

[Ignore him, go straight to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200]

Whoever the mystery man is, you’re fairly certain you could find him again if you really wanted to. As imposing as this mansion is, it can’t be so large that you can’t find someone again, especially if you’re searching for a man amongst what is looking to be an all-female staff. Plus, you wouldn’t want your breakfast to get cold; act like a gentleman and all that. Trying to put the male figure out of your mind for the time being, you silently continue to follow your guide.

Suddenly you feel your body clenched in an invisible fist, hampering all movement. You vision is blinded, and all other senses cease to function. Your gut is telling you you’re being accelerated rapidly downwards, but you feel nothing else…

When your mind clears you’re lying on cold, rough stone. There is no direct light, only ghostly shadows and dim figures coming from an illumination you cannot see. You stand up and look around; no bones broken, miraculously. You are standing in a dark room, by yourself. The pungent smell of mildew emanates from the wet dungeon walls.

“Well, well, well…isn’t this just the bank error in my favor,” a mysterious voice comments.

You spin around, looking for the source of the sound, and see a gleaming circle hovering above you. As you eyes adjust, an old man materializes from thin air, grinning though his bushy grey moustache. He is dressed in a black tuxedo and top hat, silvery monocle resting on his eye, peering into your heart.

“Where did I go?” you ask nervously.

“Go?” He chuckles. “I’m afraid you won’t be discovering or passing any sort of ‘go’ down here. But to put it directly…you’re in jail.”

He walks around the room, cane tapping the floor, spouting some kind of philosophical nonsense which you can’t decipher.

“It appears the community has decide to land square on your chest, hasn’t it? Though I personally enjoy seeing my players’ doubled-up fate triple itself, this way is just as effective. Shows them exactly how free their parking really is. And by the way,” he adds, jingling a coin purse in front of you, “these two hundred dollars are yours, aren’t they? Too bad you won’t be collecting them any time soon.”

You try and say something, anything, but he points his hooked cane at your head, the tip deadly still against your temple.

“Now, now, you’ve passed your chances by long enough, and you should know very well that your own hasty reading railroaded you here. There’s a very short line between a place in the park and a walk off the board, and make no doubt your incoming tax on life will be due soon enough. Now…” he trails off, muttering to himself. “The electric company’s way isn’t nearly good enough, and I do love to see those water works before the end…but which saint would take him? Charles’ place, or James’?” His monocle bores into your soul, making you wish you were blind.

“Ahh, there’s just no utility left to bank on in a situation like this!” he yells, cane flailing wildly. “I’ll give you just one more gamble. Double or nothing, my boy…double or nothing.”

A pair of small cubes are forced into your hands. They’re shaking so hard you can’t even hold onto them, and they clatter to the floor.

“Ohh, bad luck, Mr. Chairman-of-the-board,” the man mocks. “No getting out free for you.” And with that, he disappears, leaving you complete alone, for the rest of your short, pitiful life.

BANKRUPCY BAD END

====================

Obviously, this did not actually happen.

>>19623
I thank you kindly for your insight; it shall not go unheeded. Perhaps now, after all these years, I may finally discover where “Johnny” actually is.

>>19629
What ho, a poem? ‘Tis quite a sight to read. I must inquire: is it of your own composition, or another’s?

>>19632
I must say I did not except my mannerisms of speech to have such an effect on the masses, but am quite pleased nevertheless. As to Flandre… A most difficult and tricky little sprite for me to decipher, with many flaws not often appreciated by myself in other instances, and yet I continuously find myself drawn back to her time and time again. I shall do her the justice that such a misunderstood girl deserves.

As for the rest…my hopes are high that you shall make this tale truly enjoyable for all parties concerned, myself included. May you keep your chins up, your noses to the grindstone, and if you break any of my stuff…
>> No. 19640
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z11B9L2awVA

You really ought to see it, writefag. The feel good hit of year.
>> No. 19642
>>19632
>Has anyone noticed that U N Owen's propensity for elaborate speech patterns rubs off on the anons? I'm savoring every moment of it.
Oh yes. I myself have decided that at the very least, any memes I use here will be written in elegant speech, as I have done at >>19564 , for example.
>> No. 19643
>>19638
>The pungent smell of mildew emanates from the wet dungeon walls.
...Once again. Observed, caused to, transpire, et cetera.

I am especially amused at how well you slip them in, and how relevant they stay to the situation here.
>> No. 19648
[X] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions: "Can I assume Mr. Nathaniel has boarded here for some measure of time now?"
[X] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions: "Mr. Nathaniel appears to be quite skilled in a trade I am not entirely familiar with; can you enlighten me?"
[X] Finish eating, explore the Mansion aimlessly
>> No. 19651
>>19643

WHERE ARE THE CHEETOS
>> No. 19655
Updates?
>> No. 19659
>>19655
Many apologies, I have been preoccupied as of late with work of various kinds, and now must venture forth with friends to experiment with a new board game of much entertainment. I hope ardently to bring you a new portion of text sometime between the hours of 7-9 P.M. Eastern American Time.

In the meantime, please continue voting. While it has been determined that you wish to ask Ms. Izayoi some questions, your destination afterwards is still rather undecided.
>> No. 19660
[X] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions: "Can I assume Mr. Nathaniel has boarded here for some measure of time now?"
[X] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions: "Mr. Nathaniel appears to be quite skilled in a trade I am not entirely familiar with; can you enlighten me?"
[X] Finish eating, explore the Mansion aimlessly
>> No. 19661
>[X] Finish eating, explore the Mansion aimlessly

Please do surprise us, good sir!
>> No. 19665
[X] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions: "Can I assume Mr. Nathaniel has boarded here for some measure of time now?"
[X] Finish eating, return to your room
[x] Inventory
[x] Make a journal entry

Normally I'd be all for running into Flandre, but this is looking pretty Lunatic mode so far.
>> No. 19667
>“Go?” He chuckles. “I’m afraid you won’t be discovering or passing any sort of ‘go’ down here. But to put it directly…you’re in jail.”

GAH

>“It appears the community has decide to land square on your chest, hasn’t it? Though I personally enjoy seeing my players’ doubled-up fate triple itself, this way is just as effective. Shows them exactly how free their parking really is. And by the way,” he adds, jingling a coin purse in front of you, “these two hundred dollars are yours, aren’t they? Too bad you won’t be collecting them any time soon.”

TCH

>“Now, now, you’ve passed your chances by long enough, and you should know very well that your own hasty reading railroaded you here. There’s a very short line between a place in the park and a walk off the board, and make no doubt your incoming tax on life will be due soon enough. Now…” he trails off, muttering to himself. “The electric company’s way isn’t nearly good enough, and I do love to see those water works before the end…but which saint would take him? Charles’ place, or James’?” His monocle bores into your soul, making you wish you were blind.

KUH

>“Ahh, there’s just no utility left to bank on in a situation like this!” he yells, cane flailing wildly. “I’ll give you just one more gamble. Double or nothing, my boy…double or nothing.”

NGH

>“Ohh, bad luck, Mr. Chairman-of-the-board,” the man mocks. “No getting out free for you.” And with that, he disappears, leaving you complete alone, for the rest of your short, pitiful life.

ULTROOOOOOOOOOOS
>> No. 19669
[x] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions: "Can I assume Mr. Nathaniel has boarded here for some measure of time now?"
[x] Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions: "Mr. Nathaniel appears to be quite skilled in a trade I am not entirely familiar with; can you enlighten me?"
[x] Finish eating, explore the Mansion aimlessly

I'll be convinced this is Lunatic Mode when we stare into the eyes of the 495 year old beast, shortly before getting blown up.

And if everyone IS trying to kill us, well, that'll be a bummer, because I wanted to take a shot at romancing the maid. She doesn't seem that bad. Yet.
>> No. 19670
>>19665
Lunatic mode isn't too bad if it means Bad Ends at every corner (unless continues are limited). While I'm usually pretty glum after a bad end, the little synopsis of what the Touhous think of your demise has always been very entertaining to me. What really gets to me are the bad choices that rape your karma but don't finish you off then and there. Certainly merrited at times, but consistent application is... ugh. I get sick thinking about it.
Anyway, while the tone certainly lends itself to that interpretation, there's no real way to know until U N Owen presents us with a decision that smacks of "Oh shit."
>> No. 19671
>>19669
>And if everyone IS trying to kill us, well, that'll be a bummer, because I wanted to take a shot at romancing the maid.

Flirting with you and trying to murder you are not mutually exclusive in the Scarlet Devil Mansion.
>> No. 19672
>It seems you me that if Zakeri were writing this story, he wouldn’t have time to update RMD, whatever acronym that may be for. If he updated both at the same time, I would think the quality of both would be reduced. It is fortunate, then, that I am only myself and can write this tale unfettered by other projects.

Lies, just look at STF. He writes the shitty SDM Hacked Modo, but also writes EoSD and Pirates of Gensokyo.
>> No. 19673
[Continue eating, ask Ms. Izayoi some questions]
["Can I assume Mr. Nathaniel has boarded here for some measure of time now?"]
[ "Mr. Nathaniel appears to be quite skilled in a trade I am not entirely familiar with; can you enlighten me?"]
[Finish eating, explore the Mansion aimlessly]

Nathaniel seems very…intriguing, to say the least, but at the current point in time food is more important to you. Any information you want about him could probably be answered just as well by Ms. Izayoi, and she’s standing right here. Between eating slices of sausage, you inquire as to his nature.

“That Nathaniel is quite forward with you,” you remark. “Can I assume he has boarded here for some measure of time now?”

She looks upwards, contemplating what words to use for her response. “Your assumption is fairly correct. He arrived out of the blue, not unlike yourself, about a week ago. While he was more tactful at the time, his politeness never quite reached yours, for lack of a less personal comparison. I assume his current work is a contributor to his hasty words as well; I have often seen him snippy when up all night working.”

“Yes, I noticed. If I might inquire, he seems quite skilled in his trade if his work is of such importance to him. However, I am not quite familiar with things he spoke of; can you enlighten me?”

“I’m afraid my knowledge of his profession is rather slim myself,” she replies, letting out a small sigh. “From what I can gather he is a tinker of sorts, though I think he would rather be called an inventor. He is currently repairing an antique watch in the library; beyond that, I cannot say. You might try asking him, but whenever I have done so he becomes rather…difficult to comprehend.” From what your conversation with him was like, you didn’t need her to tell you that.

Two additional pancakes later, you scoot your chair back from the table and thank Ms. Izayoi heartily for the meal. As usual, she responds with a humble variation of “you’re welcome,” like she didn’t do anything at all. Right as you are on the threshold of the dining room, she stops you with a question.

“May I ask what you plan is for the remainder of the morning, sir?”

You stop and consider the question. After all that’s happened in you’re life, you’d really like to just have some alone time to think things over. Maybe go back to your room, write in your journal now that you’ve got a pen, reassess just where you are and what your plan is for the immediate future. And yet, on the other hand…where’s the adventure in pulling back and talking things slow? Didn’t you leave your old life behind for precisely that reason? You’ve got a sudden urge to simply wander around and explore the mansion, just for the fun of it. And besides, if you’ll be staying here for a while, it’ll certainly help you to get a feel for the lay of the mansion.

“I think I might walk about the mansion for a spell; get acclimated to the place a bit more. I trust that’s all right with you?” you ask hopefully.

“It will not cause problems,” she answers enigmatically. Won’t cause problems? That’s not exactly the response you had hoped for. In fact, it’s not a response you expected at all, and creeps you out a little bit. Is there perhaps something in the mansion she doesn’t want you to see?

“No, no problems at all,” she continues. “Feel free to sample all the mansion has to offer. I would only ask you not to bother any servants you might see in their duties, and to not force open any doors you find locked. I’m sure you’ll understand that even guests are not permitted into some areas.”

“Of course, Ms. Izayoi, I don’t mean to impose. I’ll be most content with seeing even a fraction of the house.”

This vague warning established in your mind, you set off boldly on your quest for adventure within the halls. You begin with something simple: finding out how many floors there are in this place. Returning to the stairwell you went down for breakfast, you check it over. Seems that there are three floors; the dining room you left is on the first, and your room is on the second.

You stroll the hallways of the second story, randomly testing doors, and trying not to bump into any maids; often difficult when some don’t even come up to your shoulders in height. Most rooms are just common bedrooms not unlike your own, a few larger, but most smaller. The bathrooms are of varying sizes as well; the one you were in is the biggest you’ve found so far. Closets are a rare find, but yield little more than spare blankets, sheets, and towels. Occasionally you find a locked door, and true to your word you don’t try and pry it open out of curiosity, though not peeking through the keyholes takes a great deal of effort.

The rest of your indoor adventure, while slightly less monotonous, fairs about the same as your escapades on the second floor. The third floor is mostly servant’s quarters from the amount of maids roaming the halls, and contains too many locked doors for you to investigate much further. You don’t tarry very long there, opting to give the servants their privacy. Besides, it’s very unsettling to see all those women (if “women” is even the right word, considering more than half look like girls around the age of 16) staring at you as you walk past, never asking questions, and never responding to any of your statements. The first floor contains a lot less bedrooms, replaced by lounges, several dining halls, music rooms, and even a gigantic cavernous place you believe must be a ball room. The kitchen isn’t too difficult to find either, though you are quickly but politely ferried out by maids, who more or less bribe you with a fruit-filled bun to leave. While you eat your new snack, you also stumble upon the library, though one look though the door tells you that its immense size makes it a task not suitable for a casual stroll though the mansion, which is what you are currently doing.

Perhaps the one thing you find that bothers you the most is that the front door is locked from the inside. For that matter, any time you find a door that looks like it leads outside (difficult to discern considering the lack of windows in the house, another curiosity), it is also locked. Granted, you don’t intend on leaving any time soon, but it’d certainly be nice to walk outside for a while and see the sky. You’ll have to remember to ask Ms. Izayoi about that.

As the sun creeps higher into the sky, you finally rest in a soft chair located in the giant entryway of the mansion, self-guided tour finally over, at least for now. While it was fairly enjoyable, you really haven’t gained much other than a mental map, a perspective of how large this place is, and more than a few nagging uncertainties.

[ ] Return to your room and do some investigating
[ ] Venture into the library
[ ] Find Ms. Izayoi, ask to go outside
[ ] Find Ms. Izayoi, ask her some questions (Write-ins only)

====================

I apologize for both my tardiness in returning and the lack of apparent action in this section, but I am weary in both body and mind from a long day enjoying life with friends, and have not the sharp pen to write unexpectedly. Yet perhaps in a world where many expect the unexpected, the mundane is the most unexpected of all…
>> No. 19674
[x] Return to your room and do some investigating
[x] Inventory
>> No. 19677
File 122076704889.jpg - (45.61KB , 531x904 , 2fd76df58b964dc8c0cf8afa8683019a863983e2.jpg ) [iqdb]
19677
>>19673
[X] Find Ms. Izayoi, ask her some questions "Will Miss Meiling be on duty today?"
If so:
[X] Find Ms. Izayoi, ask to go outside
Otherwise:
[X] Venture into the library

I want to assure Meiling that we're alright since it was probably unsettling to have a visitor pass out like that. Even assuming communication between her and the mansion is adequate enough for her to know we're fine, we should still apologize for startling her. Absent our duty to behave gentlemanly, my librarian side demands we tour Voile.

Sorely tempted to ask why such an establishment doesn't have a basement, but I am loathe to bring such meta-knowledge to this.
>> No. 19678
[X] Find Ms. Izayoi, ask her some questions "Will Miss Meiling be on duty today?"
If so:
[X] Find Ms. Izayoi, ask to go outside
Otherwise:
[X] Venture into the library

she never did show us how to do those things she does so well
>> No. 19679
[+] Return to your room, to record your thoughts and experiences thus far in your journal. Privacy is called for in such occasions.
>> No. 19682
[X] Find Ms. Izayoi, ask her some questions "Will Miss Meiling be on duty today?"
If so:
[X] Find Ms. Izayoi, ask to go outside
Otherwise:
[X] Venture into the library

Just to make sure:
I assume the first floor is the ground floor. Would figure because the mistress' chamber and guestrooms seem to be on the second floor.
>> No. 19686
>>19673

A well-crafted story must know balance. While the mundane is perhaps not what all of our participants would prefer at the moment, it is important to establish a mental image and descriptions; as important in fact as understanding its importance. Even in doing this, some interest can be found in the ponderings brought forth from some of the more vague concepts.

Indeed, it takes a certain level of finesse to make the mundane exciting that not many possess, and it is this skill that marks the good from the great in this line of work.

Thereby, I would that you not be too critical of yourself when such events rear their heads. The very fact that you recognize their necessity is a great leap ahead of many talespinners.

And on that note,
[X] Find Ms. Izayoi, ask her some questions "Will Miss Meiling be on duty today?"
If so:
[X] Find Ms. Izayoi, ask to go outside
Otherwise:
[X] Venture into the library
>> No. 19690
[X] Find Ms. Izayoi, ask her some questions "Will Miss Meiling be on duty today?"
If so:
[X] Find Ms. Izayoi, ask to go outside
Otherwise:
[X] Venture into the library
[X] Inventory
>> No. 19699
>>19672
But the quality of SDM:LA hacked modo is-- oh, I get it.

Flanfag, you're better than Zakeri so don't let them get to you.

[ゆ] Venture into the library
[ゆ] Return to your room and do some investigating

>I would only ask you not to bother any servants you might see in their duties
I don't think Sakuya would approve of our flirting with an on-duty guard.
>> No. 19702
>>19699

Who's flirting? We've established already that it's for the sole purpose of keeping up our gentlemanly behavior, and apologizing for startling her.
>> No. 19704
[Find Ms. Izayoi, ask her a question. "Will Miss Meiling be on duty today?"]
[If so, ask to go outside]
[Otherwise, venture into the library]

Whatever the reasons are for having the outside doors locked, you’d really like to breathe some fresh air for a while. Your exploration of the mansion just won’t be complete unless you see the mansion grounds too. Also, you’d like to let Miss Meiling know that you’re all right, since as far as you know, her last view of you was your limp body being carried into the mansion after fainting in front of her. Of course, she’s probably been told your condition by now if she’s an employee of the mansion, but it’d be much more polite to tell her in person. Perhaps you can ask Ms. Izayoi if you could go out for just a little while. After all, what could the harm be in asking if she hasn’t explicitly told you the outside is off-limits?

You get up and start looking for a pull cord or servant’s bell like she told you. It’s actually pretty tricky to find one in the larger common areas like the foyer, but fortunately you don’t have to, as you spot Ms. Izayoi entering the room through a side door. You walk up to her and give a slight bow out of politeness.

“Good day, Ms. Izayoi. Might I trouble you to ask a question?” you inquire, trying to act proper and yet humble, hoping such a combination might get you better results.

“It is my job to answer questions,” she responds. “Please do.”

“Is Miss Meiling on duty today? I have just recalled that my last impression on her might have been unsettling, and I wish her to know that I am safe and sound.”

“She is on duty today, as she is every day. She has been informed of your status, there is no need to worry.”

“Ah yes,” you say, trying to shape your next question in a way that that won’t sound imposing, even though it really is quite imposing. “What I meant was, might I talk her in person about the matter? The front door is locked, as you probably know, and I’d also like to see mansion grounds…that is, if I am allowed,” you quickly add.

“Oh, I see, you wish to go outside?” Her response is not quite as somber or mysterious as you expected; in fact she almost seems genuinely willing to assist you. “Yes, you are quite allowed, though I must provide an escort for you while you are outside. Please excuse the exterior locks; the maids can become rather whimsical on occasion, and it just won’t do to have them lolling about outdoors.” She withdraws an elegant silvery key from her pocket and places it in the lock of the large main doors. An escort isn’t exactly what you had in mind, but at least you’ll get to go outside, and she isn’t acting in that strange, intangible manner she does whenever you’ve asked her a question that seems out of place.

“Oh, and one more thing,” she adds, her eyes slowly traveling downwards across your body, “Perhaps you should put on a pair of shoes first.”

You knew you had forgotten something.

The sun casts thin shadows on you and your chaperone as you walk down the curved marble steps to the walkway below; must be getting close to high noon already. From this vantage you get a much better view of the manor’s lawn. The grass is emerald green and has no blemishes that you can see from a casual glance. The flagstone path splits and stretches several paces in front of you, running parallel to the mansion walls. Two triple-tiered fountains occupy the places of honor within the walls, crystalline water flowing down the polished white stone. A few gazebos and twice as many benches sprout up along the paths to either side of you.

While it’s a breathtaking sight to be sure, talking to Meiling is your first priority. You stroll forwards at a moderate place, taking your time observing an area that seems like it’s been locked in time for centuries to preserve it’s perfection. Ms. Izayoi walks behind you, close enough to remind you she’s still there, saying nothing.

If anything could ruin the peaceful scene you are in right now, you suspect walking into an invisible wall would probably be one of them. Which is precisely what happens. Your neck suddenly snaps back as you waltz face first into a solid sheet of some translucent material, giving you a slight whiplash. How on earth…? You press your hand against the barrier; it’s cold to the touch. Wait a minute…ice? A wave of laughter echoes from above you.

“Told ya, Rumia, told ya! This guy’s just the best ever! Too bad you didn’t get to play with him before!”

Rubbing your throbbing forehead, you turn around and look up. Sitting on the top of the mansion, feet dangling like a little child, is Cirno, that brash fairy from before. Floating next to her (more of that magical levitation again; you’ve still got no idea what that’s all about) is a form that looks like a girl. It’s very difficult to make out owing to the odd sphere of darkness surrounding it. A feminine voice responds to Cirno’s statement; you assume it’s whoever is inside the darkness.

“I couldn’t really see. Was he supposed to fall over?”

“Awww, Ruumi, don’t tell me you missed it?! Can’t you come out of there for just a little while? It’ll be fun, promise!”

The black mass wobbles and contorts until it takes on a parasol-like shape. Shaded from the sun, but not completely darkened, you get a better look at the person inside. She’s dressed in a white shirt over a black jumper, with a red ribbon tied in her blonde hair. Even from this distance you can see her unsettling red eyes peering at you. Two “youkai” at the same time…and only the maid to protect you.

“Ooo, he looks nice!” the new girl exclaims. “Can I have him over for lunch?”

“Nuh uh, Ruumi, I found him first!” Cirno interjects.

Sakuya turns to you, a frown on her face. “It appears I must chase these pests away. Please return indoors for the time being; this shan’t take long.” She then approaches the side of the mansion, now fingering a slim silvery knife in her right hand, and address both of the characters above.

“I don’t think I need to remind either of you that you are trespassing on Scarlet Devil grounds! Are you going to leave by yourself, or do I have to come up there and make you?” From this height you wonder what Ms. Izayoi could possibly do, other than throw that knife she’s holding, and such a shot would be bordering on the impossible.

“I’m not tressa-passing, Sakky!” Cirno shouts back. “I promised Mr. Stupid over there I’d come back and play with ‘im! Rumia wants to play too!”

You notice Ms. Izayoi’s muscles tensing up as she shifts into a fighting pose. She’s definitely not focused on you anymore. While you’ve got no idea what’s going on, or what’s going to happen, your gut tells you it definitely won’t be anything normal, and could even be dangerous.

[ ] Wait inside like you were told
[ ] Stay here and watch what happens
[ ] Tell Ms. Izayoi to let up; try and reason with Cirno
[ ] Walk away, explore the rest of the grounds
[ ] Walk away, go to the gate and talk with Miss Meiling
>> No. 19707
[ゆ] Return to the door of the mansion and watch from relative safety

The way Cirno's been acting, I don't feel any sympathy for her.
>> No. 19708
[X] Tell Ms. Izayoi to let up; try and reason with Cirno.
>> No. 19709
>>19704
This won't work, at least the way it's intended to, but...
[X] Tell Ms. Izayoi to let up; try and reason with Cirno
"Okay, I'll play Cirno. How about hide and seek? Everywhere on the island is fair, except the mansion. Since I'm the challenger, I'll go first." Cover your eyes "1... 2... 3..."
>> No. 19710
[ ] Stay here and watch what happens
[ ] After compliment on Sakuya on what she does.
>> No. 19711
[ ] Stay here and watch what happens
[ ] After compliment on Sakuya on what she does.

sure, we have no powers but we gotta demonstrate we have balls
>> No. 19712
[x] Stay here and watch what happens
[x] After compliment on Sakuya on what she does.

Stupid sexy Sakuya.
>> No. 19714
[x] Stay here and watch what happens
>> No. 19716
[Stay here and watch what happens]
[Afterwards, compliment Sakuya on what she does]

Danger doesn’t matter; normality doesn’t matter. You are having an adventure, and nothing quite says “adventure” like witnessing a battle. Despite Ms. Izayoi’s words, you stay where you are, but are ready to move at a moment’s notice should things start turning bad.

“This is your final warning, children,” the maid threatens, holding the knife tightly between her fingers now. “Leave the grounds, now.”

Cirno looks at “Ruumi” smugly, a stupid grin on her face. “Sakuya wants us to leave, Ruumi. What do you think?”

“I think…” she replies, returning the grin, “…that I want to see what dog meat tastes like.”

With that ominous remark she snaps the orb of blackness back around her, and suddenly the sky goes as dark as evening in an instant. You look upwards at the sun; it’s still there, but dim, like there’s a filter on the sky. Cirno jumps up from her seat and begins hovering alongside the orb, ready for action.

Ms. Izayoi makes the first move, and it’s such a move that hovering and turning off the sun seem like parlor tricks in comparison. She flicks her knife upwards with alarming speed towards Cirno, then begins to pull more knives from her sleeves and apron so fast it’s as if they simply materialize instantly in her hands. They fly like arrows towards the blue-skirted fairy, who whizzes out of harm’s way playfully. As she attacks, the maid runs towards the mansion walls and begins jumping from windowsill to windowsill upwards with a dexterity that makes your mind cringe. Within a few scant seconds she’s scaled the entire three floors of the building and meets her two opponents on the roof.

From your vantage point it’s difficult to see what’s going on, so you sacrifice clarity for view and back up to get a better shot of the action. Cirno seems to be firing icicles from her hands in a mockery of what Ms. Izayoi is doing, and her aim is less than average. “Ruumi”, or Rumia if your assumption of her name is correct, maintains her position inside the dark orb, which bobs around above the roof like a lazy housefly, trying to close in on the maid. The erratic, lightning speed of her quarry, however, make the task all but impossible. Ms. Izayoi throws three knives for every one of Cirno’s shots, and even from this angle you can tell the icy pest is just barely dodging them, making her pitiful attack even more inaccurate. She’s not even bothering to attack Rumia, who seems to have done nothing important yet.

Suddenly the ebony circle darts towards her prey, back turned to the oncoming threat for just a moment too long. The maid is instantly enveloped in the darkness, and the shower of knives bursts outwards in random directions for a few seconds before Rumia flies away again. Cirno takes the opportunity to change her battle strategy, conjuring up a miniature hailstorm of ice shards aimed vaguely Ms. Izayoi. The speed at which she dodges the freezing bullets just looks wrong to you; not because of how you wish you could be that agile, but because you think a human being cannot psychically move that fast. The crystal rain bounces off the roof harmlessly, tinkling like heavy coins on a tabletop.

Though Cirno still hasn’t hit her target yet, you can see that her altered attack is having an effect. Ms. Izayoi is throwing less knives and moving a lot more to avoid the spread of hail, and even comes close to falling off the roof a few times. As she balances the razor edge between the shingles and the ground below, the dark sphere that is Rumia darts inwards again, and when it flies off you see the maid tumbling through the air, her position farther than is was before…too far to regain her footing on the roof, and she starts descending to the ground below.

“She’s not going make it!” you shout silently to yourself, and instinctually begin running towards her frantically, even though your brain screams that you can’t possibly reach her in time before she connects with the earth. Your feet push off the grass with every iota of speed you can muster, hoping that sheer force of will is enough to catch her.

As your eyes focus on her body, you realize that she’s isn’t flopping aimlessly at all. Her foot makes contact with the side of the house, and she pushes off, changing her path into a diagonal line, arms outstretched. Just as her fingertips brush the ground she curls inwards, letting the momentum from the previous push roll her across the grass. She stands up quickly, seemingly unharmed, and suddenly notices you standing there.

“I thought I told you to stay-!”

Her shout is drowned out by a new rain of icicle arrows from Cirno, poorly aimed due to her relative position with Ms. Izayoi. The maid easily sidesteps the barrage, but you realize too late that they’re headed directly towards you now…

Pain. Pain a hundred times over. Every scraped knee, every thorn in your side, every sliced finger, every burned hand…every pain you’ve ever felt in your life comes back for revenge tenfold. You can feel the icy spikes impact upon your body, hear them as they shatter against your bones, taste the blood in your mouth as one punctures your lung, see them sticking out of you like red glass scattered from a broken window. A face stares into yours, the features blurred and indistinguishable as darkness creeps into your eyes, and soon there is nothing…

~~~~~~~~~~

Everything is blurry, like coming out of a fog. None of your senses are focused, save for touch, because it’s telling you that you can’t feel half your body, and the other half is tingling like you’re caught in the sharpest rainstorm of your life. Where are you? Who are you? What happened? What time is it? Questions formed evaporate instantly, until you are left with an empty, vacuous cavern for a mind. You squeeze your eyes shut, trying to restart your broken psyche.

The world clears up a bit. You are lying on a bed within a small room not your own, by yourself. All the furniture is less elegant and more practical than what you normally saw within the mansion. There is a window behind you, letting in orangey light. You hear a tap-tap-tap from somewhere nearby.

You try and move your head to look at your body, but find that your neck is swathed in gauze and can barely move. Straining your eyeballs, you can barely see similar gauze wrappings all over your body, some of them stained crimson. You try and flex your right hand; it sends a sharp pain up your arm, but it can still move. The tap-tap-tapping continues. It’s coming from behind you, through the window.

Grunting with the effort, you crane your neck backwards to look through the glass, throbbing pain pulsing across your torso. Though the face is upside down, you instantly know who it is. Cirno.

[ ] Ignore her
[ ] Open the window and let her in
[ ] Try and go back to sleep
[ ] Call for Ms. Izayoi
>> No. 19718
[X] Call for Ms. Izayoi
>> No. 19719
[x] Stay here and watch what happens
[x] After compliment on Sakuya on what she does.

Perhaps if it's 2 on one Cirno will be less likely to run.
>> No. 19720
[x] Freeze up, making your face into a mask of absolute terror.

Let's see if we can guilt-trip her!
>> No. 19721
Goddamn it guys, I knew we should have gotten out of the way.

[ゆ] Glare at her, but otherwise do nothing
>> No. 19722
[x] Open the window and let her in

It's that or she breaks the window open.
>> No. 19723
Actually guys, think about this. Cirno seems to be the one element here that Sakuya cannot control. As a conflict with her is inevitable, Cirno is a resource that begs to be exploited.

She's dumb as a box of hammers, so merely feigning friendship is enough. Besides, you'll look much less pathetic by playing the straight man. Sakuya won't be able to properly scold you if she finds you chatting nonchalantly with your would-be murderess.

[❄] Open the window and let her in.
>> No. 19724
>a human being cannot psychically move that fast

I know I wouldn't be able to move my mind that fast.

>[ ] Call for Ms. Izayoi

MAID NINJAS

[X] Glare at her, but otherwise do nothing
>> No. 19726
How the hell are we going to get the window open?

And what happened to danmaku being non-lethal?
>> No. 19727
>>19723
Idiot, she just filled us with needles.
>> No. 19729
>>19722
Her breaking the window at least gives us enough warning time to scream for Sakuya. And the window might be reinforced. This is the Scarlet Devil Mansion.

Whatever we do, we shouldn't let her in.
>> No. 19730
[x] Glare at her, but otherwise do nothing

in b4 you retards let her in
>> No. 19731
>>19716
[X] Open the window and let her in

Curse you anon for spoiling my potential write-in hat-trick! Oh well, being accidentally perforated by icyicles is far superior to dispelling the ice-fairy and her youkai companion non-violently, even though the possibility of impressing the head maid of the Scarlet Devil mansion with our quick thinking and ability to alleviate her need to rid ourselves of a couple annoying fairies/youkai would have been remarkably beneficial to us (and the staff of the SDM). It's not like we could have calmed them at a later date by declaring that they are the strongest in terms of hiding from us.
>> No. 19732
[X] Glare at her, but otherwise do nothing

>>19731

You lostme~~~~~~
>> No. 19734
>Her breaking the window at least gives us enough warning time to scream for Sakuya.

God, listen to yourself, man.
>> No. 19735
>>19727

Unlike Ms. Izayoi, who will eventually be filling us with knives. Well, except that when she does it, she wants you to die.
>> No. 19736
[X] Open the window and let her in

Let her in. She probably didn't mean to almost kill us, and she won't do anything too bad, just something stupid. If she did want to kill us, she could just...

Actually, you better let her in before she decides to break the window.

Besides, do you want to glare at her? Do you want Cirno to hover outside the window and cry?
>> No. 19737
File 122085439795.jpg - (170.96KB , 1015x1100 , 1220760811068.jpg ) [iqdb]
19737
[X] Open the window and let her in

I KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO, BUT... I JUST CAN'T
>> No. 19738
File 122085569257.png - (154.95KB , 400x800 , 1453792.png ) [iqdb]
19738
way to use timestop there, perfect and elegant pad
>> No. 19740
>>19738
Like she'd bother? Regardless of whatever visitor enticement policy Remilia's put into place, we are just a human, and have proven ourselves a rather stupid one at that for not following her advice and jumping into a near lethal fight.

On that note
[X] Call for Ms. Izayoi
because I liked the realism direction this was going in. Past tense because unfortunately letting her in seems to have already won.
>> No. 19743
>>19740
Isn't it a lot less hassle in the long run if we aren't maimed and bedridden like this?
>> No. 19744
>>19740

Realism? We just watched a maid play danmaku with an ice fairy.

>Isn't it a lot less hassle in the long run if we aren't maimed and bedridden like this?

Actually, maybe not. If say for example we were just relegated to "bloodbag" status because of this incident.
>> No. 19749
>>19731
Damn. I would have liked this.

[X] Ignore her
>> No. 19751
[X] Open the window and let her in

This will show Sakuya that Guestnonymous doesn't afraid of anything, which would lead her to one of two distinct conclusions:

[‡] He's a pathologically reckless fool who might just get himself killed at the next earliest opportunity; little need to keep track of this one's whereabouts when there are other more worthwhile investments of your time, though you're curious to see how long he'll last.

[‡] Naive and over-trusting or maybe simply has no fear of death. Either way, keep a close eye on him because he will get himself into trouble, and you'll have to be there to save him when it happens.

Which one it would be depends on her attitude towards you, and there are pluses and minuses to both of them. However, either of them will get the maid to treat you more informally, which would be necessary for a route.
>> No. 19752
In wonder whose room we are in at the moment. I think it might be Sakuya's and she carried us there to nurse us back to health so that Remilia doesn't find out Sakuya dropped her toy-to-be and it got chipped.
>> No. 19753
>>19737
Jesus christ, my heart.
>> No. 19754
>>19752
>In wonder whose room we are in at the moment. I think it might be Sakuya's and she carried us there to nurse us back to health so that Remilia doesn't find out Sakuya dropped her toy-to-be and it got chipped.

Likely a servant's quarters on the first floor close to the front door, as the closest bed to the site of your injury. No reason for them to carry you up a stairwell. Anyway, I don't think Sakuya would room somewhere so easily accessible to capricious ice fairies.

The other two unlikely possibilities are that we're in Eientei or in the village.

Also, in b4 Cirno gives us a frozen frog in apology.
>> No. 19756
The votes have declared that you wish to let Cirno in, though I shall include the “Glare at her, unspeaking” option as an honorable mention when I compose the next segment. For now I am off to learn things deemed important by old men in suits for several hours, but shall work my hardest to regale you with more stories before 2 P.M. Eastern American Time.

But please, give yourselves a pat on the back; once again you voted in a way most unexpected, causing me to rethink the story’s progression from a new perspective. It is quite enjoyable to think on my feet like this, for my ideas ultimately pale in comparison with yours in terms of sheer inventiveness.

However, let your bedridden pain serve as a reminder to you. This is not the Gensokyo sung about in the beloved video games. This is not a happy fairy tale, this is not the land of Far, Far Away, and this is not a children’s sandbox. This is a land of strife, where kings play at death like a board game. This is a land of terror, where bravery alone is not enough to survive. This is a land of power, where all those around you have a strength hundreds, even thousands of times great than your own.

This, for lack of a better term, is Sparta.
>> No. 19757
>>19754
Servant's quarters are on the third floor, though.

>>19756
>where all those around you have a strength hundreds, even thousands of times greater than your own.

I for one am not opposed to the idea of being any mistress' lapdog.
>> No. 19758
>The votes have declared that you wish to let Cirno in
Urgh. headsigh.jpg
>> No. 19763
>>Everything is blurry, like coming out of a fog. None of your senses are focused, save for touch, because it’s telling you that you can’t feel half your body, and the other half is tingling like you’re caught in the sharpest rainstorm of your life. Where are you? Who are you? What happened? What time is it? Questions formed evaporate instantly, until you are left with an empty, vacuous cavern for a mind. You squeeze your eyes shut, trying to restart your broken psyche.

Waaaaaaait... did we just use a continue?
>> No. 19764
[ ] Open the window and let her in

The events of the past are still a blur in your mind, but you do know one thing for certain: you were impaled by ice. Cirno’s ice. A poorly aimed shot…might have been an honest mistake…not her fault… but ultimately she is the reason you are lying in this bed, barely able to move. You’d like nothing better than to just give her a cold stare and go back to sleep…

But why is she still here? If she were actively trying to hurt you she’d either be back home celebrating her success, or else breaking through the window to finish you off. Furthermore, if either Sakuya or the Mistress is angry with her, she’d be leagues away from her by now to avoid the punishment she deserves. Whatever the reason, you suppose it won’t hurt matters much to hear whatever she’s trying to say.

You know it’s going to take more effort than your body is willing to give right now, but you clench your teeth and bear down anyways. Tugging and pulling at any muscle in your body that will help you, you slowly inch yourself closer to the window, pins and needles raking across your nerves. The latch is a simple one, but from your angle it’s almost impossible to yank open. Your fingers fumble to get a grip on the slick surface, brain coaxing you to just give up and rest, as your arm screams at you to do the same. Finally the catch gives way, and you push the window open a crack, just enough for Cirno to pull it open from her side.

The frame is small, too small for a normal human to crawl through, but Cirno’s defiance of gravity helps her greatly in this respect. She flutters over your head and lands at the base of the bed, face lowered. You can see dozens of slices in her skirt and hair, and her skin is crisscrossed with cuts, some of them still bleeding. Looks like she didn’t dodge those knives quite as well as you thought.

She just stands there for a while, mute, fidgeting around and sniffling. You can’t take the silence, and try to ask a question. Your voice is marred by the pain washing through your body as well as your extremely sore throat, and the sound that comes out of you mouth is nothing like what you intended it to be.

“What happened?” you mutter.

She doesn’t look up, but still answers the question. Her voice is small and meek, far different from the cockiness she normally has.

“I…I missed. I was trying to hit Sakky. I didn’t see you there until…until…you were on the ground, all red n’ stuff. I tried to help, but Sakky chased me away…Umm, are, are you hurted bad?”

“Dunno.”

There is another pause. She’s definitely making an effort to do something, but you still don’t know what game she’s playing at. You try and change the subject; maybe you’ll get some useful information out of her before she goes back to being a jerk.

“What’s all this magic?” you demand wearily. “How comes everyone flies and you shoot ice? Are…are you a demon?”

Cirno twirls her hair, looking for words. “It’s like, well everyone can do that around here. Like I can move around ice and Ruumi can make it dark n’ stuff, and Sakuya can go all fast and stop time and China kicks really hard. And ‘m not a deemun, I’m a fairy. See?” She turns to the side and flaps her crystal wings, trying to look cute. Sakuya…that must be Ms. Izayoi’s first name. She can stop time?

You glare at her silently, saying nothing. She nearly killed you. Through her own rashness and idiocy, she nearly killed you. And now she’s standing in front of you, trying to smooth things over by looking innocent?

“Cirno,” you say, voice as cold as the ice which pierced your body. “I nearly died. I don’t know how bad I’m hurt, or if I’ll even be able to get out of this bed again. And it’s your fault.”

She finally looks up at you. Her big blue eyes contain the strangest mixture of sadness and annoyance you’ve ever seen. She looks to be on the verge of tears, but whether they’re tears of sorrow or tears of anger, you can’t say.

“You were the one who ran around not looking at things!” she shouts at you, clenching her fists. “You’re so stupid!”

She glares back at you, mouth wrinkled up in a little frown. After a second or two, however, the anger passes, and she becomes peaceful and reserved again.

“But…I’m stupid too. So it’s okay. I…I’m…I’m sorry.”

She inches towards you shyly and holds out her hand. “Friends?”

[ ] Reject her utterly. Slap her hand away are tell her to get out of your sight.
[ ] Reject her calmly. Tell her to leave.
[ ] Leave her hanging.
[ ] Accept her calmly. Take her hand. Tell her she should probably leave.
[ ] Accept her compassionately. Give her a hug.

====================

>>19724
Ach, indeed I am undone by my poor editing. “Physically” was of course the word I meant. Good eye, dear Anonymous.

>>19763
Negative, good sir. Perhaps this may be a good time to reiterate my system of “continues” and other related things.

Any time your actions lead to your untimely demise, I will clearly label it so that you know you have died, possibly with the stereotypical “BAD END” sign. If this label does not appear, you are not dead, and can continue with your journey in whatever state you are in. After a “BAD END”, I will automatically return you to the nearest point where you can still finish your quest.

Upon that note, I shall say it right now: Yes, there are multiple endings to this story, which give differing levels of satisfaction upon completion. Consistent “BAD ENDs” will never affect your ability to complete the story (a.k.a., you have unlimited “continues”). However, foolish actions can jeopardize your ability to finish with more desirable ends, whether or not you die from them.

Therein lies the rub. I try to avoid giving “BAD ENDs” as payback for stupid choices, because “BAD ENDs” have no true consequences and no lasting effects other than perhaps shock value. Closing off endings, however, is a serious matter, and is usually taken as such.

The choice rests with you. You can have fun, be bold, be crazy, die a dozen deaths, and still walk out with a mediocre finale. Or you can be cautious, be smart, plan ahead, and aim for something much more complete.

Apologies if I sound imposing or redundant, but I feel that it is best for the players to know the rules to the game they are playing.
>> No. 19766
[X] Accept her compassionately. Give her a hug.

"Baw, baw, letting her in is retarded!"

Heh.
>> No. 19767
[ ] Accept her compassionately. Give her a hug.
>> No. 19768
{X} Accept her compassionately. Give her a hug.

Fairy hugging, hooray!
>> No. 19769
[x] Accept her compassionately. Give her a hug.
[x] Tell her to never do that again. No more fighting at the mansion while you're staying here, it's too dangerous.
>> No. 19770
[X] Accept her calmly. Take her hand. Tell her she should probably leave.
>> No. 19771
File 122090345221.jpg - (180.94KB , 900x730 , 1554395.jpg ) [iqdb]
19771
>>19764
[X] Accept her compassionately. Give her a hug.

It doesn't make sense and she'll probably freak out and freeze us solid, but I want to do it anyway.
>> No. 19772
[Q] Accept her compassionately. Give her a hug.

Hug~
>> No. 19775
[x] Accept her compassionately. Give her a hug.
[x] Ruffle her hair.
>> No. 19779
[x] Accept her compassionately. Give her a hug.
[x] Ruffle her hair.
>> No. 19784
[x] Accept her compassionately. Give her a hug.
>> No. 19785
>>19769
>[x] Tell her to never do that again. No more fighting at the mansion while you're staying here, it's too dangerous.
I hope this gets considered, it makes sense and doesn't conflict with the vote.
>> No. 19787
>>19785
[x] Seconding this.
>> No. 19788
[ ] Accept her compassionately. Give her a hug.

The sight of Cirno standing there, her little palm displayed innocently in front of you, is just too much for you to reject. She might be a magical fairy with enough power to kill you easily, which she nearly did, but from where you both stand right now, she’s just a little girl asking for forgiveness. And she’s right: running around outside in the middle of the battle was stupid. You deserved to get hurt for that dumb act of bravado. But she doesn’t deserve to get punished for it as well.

You hold out your hand and slowly bring it towards hers, moving gently to avoid too much pain. She sees you struggling and meets you halfway. Your eyes shy away as you feel your rugged farmer’s hands grasp her smooth skin. As you both sit there, hands together, a wave of compassion washes over you, and despite your better judgment you sit up and pull her little form towards yours into a soft hug.

The pain is everywhere in your torso, and you can feel a wound or two reopening, but it doesn’t matter right now. All that matters is that today, in this instant, you are making a little girl happy. She wraps her arms around you, squeezing just gently enough so that she doesn’t cause you any more pain.

“Friends,” you whisper in her ear, a content smile spreading across your face. You hear her begin to cry quietly.

“Th-Thank you,” she responds between her tears. “I j-just wanted to m-make you laugh before.”

You utter a weak chuckle. “Well, when I look back on it, running into an invisible wall does seem pretty funny. But look,” you say, bringing her watery eyes into yours, “you can’t do any of that fighting around here anymore. I don’t really know too much about magic, but it looks dangerous. That Sakuya was really ready to hurt you. I don’t want to have to see you here in this bed next time.” You point to all the cuts on her arms as an example.

She smiles. “Don’t worry ‘bout me, I get better real fast. Remember? I’m the strongest!”

You shake you head slightly, eyes rolling. Still on about being the best, is she? She rests her head on your shoulder, simply glad that you’re alive, that she didn’t screw up past the point of no return. You pat her hair affectionately, glad for her company.

“I sure hope you are, Cirno,” you answer. “But it’s not just that…” You mind for some reason drifts towards that growing uncertainty in your gut. The locked doors...the missing possessions…the maid’s odd demeanor. A part of your mind still wants you to believe that you’re simply paranoid about being inside a refined mansion, but there’s another part, getting bigger every hour, that tells you to be careful, to keep your eyes open, and keep your head down.

“The mansion is dangerous, too. You should leave before someone comes.”

“Dangerous?” She questions. “I don’t get it.”

Dare you tell her your mounting suspicions? It’s not much to go on, and she’ll probably tell you what you already know: you’re crazy and worry too much. But right now in your life, you need just one other person to talk to, one other person who cares, one other person who is true.

“Just…there’s just something-“

You never get the time to finish your statement, or even to figure out what you were going to say. The door creaks open suddenly, and Cirno pulls away from you, extremely startled. From the bed you can’t see who’s behind the door, but the shout that follows quickly tells you.

“YOU! No, out, OUT!” Sakuya’s voice is full of the determination and anger you saw her reveal when she fought Cirno before. You see a knife thud into the wall barely half an inch from Cirno’s frightened face. She makes a beeline for the window, forgetting momentarily how tight the frame is. As her body tries to wriggle through the opening, three more knives fly towards her: one whizzes harmlessly out the window, the second slices though Cirno’s shoe, and the third embeds itself into her thigh. With one final push she bolts out the window and out of sight, blood trickling down her leg.

The furious maid hurls another knife out the window for good measure, then glares at you. “How’d she get in? How in the Devil’s name did she get in?!” She’s still holding a blade in her hand, and horror fills your veins as you realize that it could be for you.

[ ] Tell her the truth, omit nothing
[ ] Tell her the truth, omit the more compromising details
[ ] Remain silent
[ ] Feign ignorance, say you have no idea; you just woke up and she was there
[ ] Lie outright; make something up (Write-in response)
>> No. 19789
[X] Tell her the truth, omit the more compromising details
>> No. 19790
[X] Tell her the truth, omit nothing

Since when has lying to anyone in any story ever worked?
>> No. 19791
[x] Tell her the truth, omit nothing
[x] Keep an eye on that knife
>> No. 19792
Don't lie, but don't volunteer more information than necessary.

[x] Point at the open window, and look at her as if just she had asked the stupidest question you've ever heard. "She came in through the window, Izayoi."

This should send her sputtering and embarrass the anger out of her, without antagonizing her directly.
>> No. 19793
[x] Point at the open window, and look at her as if just she had asked the stupidest question you've ever heard. "She came in through the window, Miss Izayoi."
>> No. 19794
>>19792
While I appreciate the sentiment (particularly the whole deal about not volunteering unnecessary details) and desired effect, people have a tendency to know when they're being talked down to and do not respond favorably at all; it gets worse the better they are at other things, and we're dealing with a perfect maido here. Six years of phone-in IT support work speaking here. Anyway,

[x] Point at the open window, and look at her as if jyou have no idea what is going on. "She came in through the, um... window? Anyway, where am I anyway? What's going on?"

I'm all for passing ourselves off as a fool while we harvest information. We've long since proven ourselves to be more than a little out of it, so playing up our incompetance should not prove to be difficult. Furthermore, there is genuine curiosity as to where we are and the current state of arrairs. We can derail her line of inquiry by injecting our own; the perfect maid would come across quite negatively if she were to let such base emotions cloud her fundamental duties.
>> No. 19795
>[x] Point at the open window, and look at her as if you have no idea what is going on. "She came in through the, um... window? Anyway, where am I anyway? What's going on?"

I'd go with that, although if someone else can put it in, I'd also like to see maybe something about Cirno trying to apologize for something before she was driven away.
>> No. 19796
[x] THEY CAME FROM BEHIND!

No really.

[x] Point at the open window, and look at her as if jyou have no idea what is going on. "She came in through the, um... window? Anyway, where am I anyway? What's going on?"
>> No. 19797
[ ] Tell her the truth, omit nothing
>> No. 19801
[X] Tell her the truth, omit nothing

Now I'm really scared of Sakuya. She seemed to be such a nice, refined girl.
>> No. 19805
[x] Tell her the truth, omit nothing
>> No. 19806
>>19799

I lol'd
>> No. 19810
[x] Point at the open window, and look at her as if you have no idea what is going on. "She came in through the, um... window? To apologi--"
[x] Shift your gaze to her weapon and furrow your brow, "Why are you pointing that knife at me?"
>> No. 19812
The requirements of university life again prevent me from picking up the pen until after their completion. I shall return in the evening with more words for you. As I believe this thread has become, as you say, “autosaged”, keep you eye on the horizon for a new topic.

Forgive my small experiments as I test the formatting of this board:
These words, I believe, should be in italics
These words, I believe, should be bold
These words, I believe, should be underlined
>> No. 19814
>>19812
And some words should just be struck-through.
>> No. 19820
[x] Point at the open window, and look at her as if you have no idea what is going on. "She came in through the, um... window? To apologi--"
[x] Shift your gaze to her weapon and furrow your brow, "Why are you pointing that knife at me?"

Looks good to me!
>> No. 19827
>>19756
>Gensokyo
>kings
Good sir, it is most disturbing and unseemly to have these two words appear in the same paragraph.

>>19799
I have observed what you caused to transpire here, and I had a little chuckle.
>> No. 19835
>Good sir, it is most disturbing and unseemly to have these two words appear in the same paragraph.

The word "king" implies the high leader of an area, the master of a domain, wielding great power and having many subjects. Gender is irrelevant in this juncture.