[Return]
Archived Thread

File 129376888557.jpg - (17.06KB , 480x360 , 0.jpg ) [iqdb]
30586 No. 30586
Prologue:

NOW DIE, YOU FIEND!

With all eight seals blazing, you drive your blade into the demon’s heart. With strength of godly proportions, you pierce it all the way through, then channel all four elements through at once. Even for a demon lord, this amount of magical chaos in such a sensitive area is simply overwhelming. Roaring in pain, the demon falls to his knees, and you only just move out of the way in time to avoid being crushed by the body.

Suddenly, all is silent. The Demon King has been slain, and countless worlds have been saved. Ahead lies a good amount of loose ends to tie up, not to mention all the cleanup to be done. (Funny how dead bodies don’t tend to clean up after themselves) Looking at your companions, however, there is only one question running through your mind. Turning to your party, you open your mouth and the words come flowing out:

“What now?”
----------------------------

“What do you think, Renko?”

“Mmm, it’s hard to say. It’s certainly unique, but other than that I’m not sure if I can see the appeal.”

“I can assure you that you will never find something like this from anywhere but here.”

“Yeah, you would say that, but come on Mary, you could probably find it cheaper on the net.”

“Maybe, but I think I’ll get this nonetheless. It’s so quaint purchasing something from a street merchant in this day and age. How much are you asking for it?”

“Somewhere around 2000 yen should be fine.”

“Come now, it’s very nice, but I’m sure that you can do better than that.”

With that, you and the blond haired girl haggle over the price of a cell phone strap. Her hatted friend waits nearby, getting more and more impatient as the war wages on. In the end, you decide to play nice and let her have it for 1400. You exchange the necessary thanks as the two head off on their way while you begin packing up your merchandise.

“Come on Mary, we’re already 3 minutes and 14 seconds behind! I want to see if we can’t find anything at the old Hakurei shrine again.”

“Again? Look, just because we had a couple of dreams about that place doesn’t mean that we will find anything there. Besides, I want to attach this strap to my phone, and-“

“You can do that on the way, it isn’t like it takes much effort…”

The conversation fades as they head into the distance. Nice girls, even if they seem a little normal for your tastes. But then again, considering what you are used to, almost everything seems normal nowadays. Heck, considering the sheer number of different worlds that you have been to, it’s hard to find anything that you haven’t already seen.

Hakurei shrine, huh? It might be a good place to check out, especially if they sell some local goods there. It’s always nice to get some variety in your wares. On the other hand, the traffic around here is good, and you could probably make quite a few sales it you were to stay in the area for a while. Though you might want to be careful; the local authorities don’t seem too keen on finding people selling random items on the street.

[ ] Check out the shrine, it seems like an interesting diversion if nothing else

[ ] Stick around this area for now, you should be able to make a few more sales before the authorities catch on

[ ] Write-in
------------------
Thanks to those in /General/ who suggested I move this here. I really should have lurked more before posting, but oh well.

3 votes for stick around from /general/, 1 for shrine, I'll check back later to see where we are at.

>> No. 30587
This might come in handy as well.

Merchandise in dimensional bag:
Audio expulsion device (1)
Cellphone strap accessories (10)
Lighter (3)
Lava Lamp (1)
Deck of Cards (1)
Full body armor (1)
Jenga Game (1)
Yo-Yo (2)
Department Store Catalogue (1)
Nice hat (1)
Pumpkin (1)
Sweater (1)
Herbs and leaves tea set (2)
Exorcism Arrow (RESERVED, 1)
Fireproof Clothes (RESERVED, 1)

Personal items on hand:
Grappling hook (Consists of hook and rope, 1)
Toolkit
Food Rations
Various Currencies
Blade

Seals:
[Seal 1P] Locked
[Seal 2P] Locked
[Seal 3P] Locked
[Seal 4P] Locked
<Seal 1M> Locked
<Seal 2M> Locked
<Seal 3M> Locked
<Seal 4M> Locked
>> No. 30588
[x] Check out the shrine, it seems like an interesting diversion if nothing else
>> No. 30589
>mailto:relmhopper@gmail.com
No, seriously, don't do this.

[X] Stick around this area for now; you should be able to make a few more sales before the authorities catch on.
>> No. 30591
File 129382159891.jpg - (22.18KB , 327x195 , thebaynet_foot_chase.jpg ) [iqdb]
30591
[ ] Stick around this area for now, you should be able to make a few more sales before the authorities catch on

Even if the shrine has unique items for sale, you doubt that it will be going anywhere. You can visit it later if you are so inclined, but for now you decide to take advantage of the local traffic and see if you can’t make a few more sales. You reverse your packing and put your goods on display once again.

For the most part, things go smoothly. You manage to sell two more cell phone straps and a lighter for a reasonable amount. Soon after the last sale, however, a cop on patrol catches sight of you. He pulls out a radio, talks on it for a bit, before he starts to head over to where you are at a moderate pace.

This is what you were afraid of. Generally, most places turn a blind eye to merchants on the street, but this world tends to frown upon them. Being taken in won’t hinder you for very long, but all of your merchandise will probably be confiscated as contraband, and since you have some reserved orders on you at the moment, it would be unfavorable if you were caught. With this in mind, you quickly throw all of your merchandise on display back in the bag and run for it. The cop notices this and begins to run in pursuit.

You need to lose this guy, and fast. Chances are that he’s radioed for help, and if you don’t lose him soon it isn’t unlikely that you will have a full patrol on your tail.

[ ] Try to lose your tail in the streets
[ ] When in doubt, up is always a good direction to go
[ ] Just try to outrun him, you are almost certainly faster than he is
>> No. 30593
[x] When in doubt, up is always a good direction to go
>> No. 30599
[ ] Just try to outrun him, you are almost certainly faster than he is
>> No. 30601
[x] When in doubt, up is always a good direction to go

Bah. We are a planehopper that is soon to ditch this world. What do we care if some random patrolman sees us flying, or doing something otherwise extraordinary.

>mailto: relmhopper@gmail.com
www
>> No. 30603
[x] Just try to outrun him, you are almost certainly faster than he is

>relmhopper@gmail.com

Someone's going to be getting gay porn spam soon.
>> No. 30605
Why would I get a gmail account if I wasn't expecting gay porn? It's basically an account I use when I don't want to give an email, so no worries.

In any case, happy new year! I'm thinking for the prologue I'll close the vote at 3, and then when we get to the main story I'll wait until 5.

Don't worry if the merchandise list becomes outdated, I'll post a fresh copy every time I switch to a new thread.

If we get the vote in quickly, I might be able to pull of one more post tonight. Otherwise, it will probably come in tomorrow evening at the soonest.
>> No. 30606
But yeah, thanks for pointing that out everyone. Still kinda newbish to the whole image board thing and I appreciate the helping hand.
>> No. 30608
Alright, the vote isn't settled yet, so I'm out for tonight. The next story post should be sometime tomorrow evening.
>> No. 30617
writing in progress
>> No. 30618
File 129393063766.jpg - (65.58KB , 362x577 , untitled.jpg ) [iqdb]
30618
[x] Just try to outrun him, you are almost certainly faster than he is
[x] When in doubt, up is always a good direction to go

The cop who is following you is keeping up with you pretty well, but you can do one better than him. Turning the corner, you increase your speed so that by the time the patrolman chasing you reaches said corner, you are already turning the next one. Keeping this pace, you are able to outmaneuver him to the point where he loses you.

That is the good news. The bad news is that in escaping from your first pursuer, you pick up two more, as well as a patrol car. Either the cops in this town are really bored, or else they really hate street merchants.

With a car on your tail, you have little choice but to duck into an ally to avoid pursuit. A few turns later, however, and you find yourself at a dead end. In front of you is a building that goes up for at least 10 stories. Sadly, you left your ring of flight back in storage, and at that height the building is too much for you to climb even with your grappling hook.

…normally. However, if you were to break one of your physical seals, you could probably make the toss and subsequent climb easily. Of course, there will be the backlash to deal with once it wears off, but right now your options are fairly limited. You could always fight the guards off, of course, but you would prefer not to have any more of a criminal record than you already do.

You reach into your pack and grab your grappling hook, then uncover your left arm. On your bicep, there are four scars. You place your finger on the one closest to your elbow and concentrate for a bit. The seal breaks, and the scar begins to glow. You feel a familiar sense of strength flowing into your arms, while at the same time you hear the patrol catching up.

After swinging the rope a few times around first, you then throw it to at the top of the building, then pull it firmly into place. You begin climbing up just as the patrolmen reach the alley you are in. All they can do is stare as you effortlessly climb up, bringing the rope with you as you go so that they can’t follow. You soon reach the top of the building, and begin roof hopping in order to avoid further pursuit.

Sadly, the city’s patrolmen don’t let up. While they aren’t breaking out any heavy equipment such as helicopters, you soon catch glimpses of patrolmen coming out of roof entrances on nearby buildings. Your burst of strength won’t last too much longer, so you need to find another way to lose them and quick. Fortunately, you arrive at a break in the buildings, caused by a forest that seemed to come almost out of nowhere.

You leap off the top of the final building and easily roll into a landing before the tree line and make a dash into the cover that the trees provide. A few moment later, the seal you broke earlier repairs itself, and your scar starts glowing red. You feel the reflux coming on as dizziness and fatigue set into your body, but you keep on moving in order to avoid being caught.

Suddenly you come across a clearing, in which resides a shrine in poor repair at best, one step from falling apart at worst. You can’t read the sign declaring what this shrine is, but you guess that this is probably the Hakurei shrine those girls mentioned earlier. From its abandoned feel, you guess that there is little chance that you will find any unique items for sale here. Still, that isn’t your main concern at the moment, since you are still fleeing the approaching patrol, now at reduced strength and stamina. You need to figure out your next move.
--------------
Make a vote for each column:

Column A:
[ ] Hide in the shrine; the patrol is probably spread thin from searching the forest, and you would probably be better off hiding then trying to run in your weakened condition
[ ] Keep running past the shrine; weakened or not, you can’t chance stopping right now. Best to keep on moving.

Column B:
Would you like to see the tutorial on seals?
[ ] Yes, I would like to know what my abilities are as soon as possible
[ ] No, I prefer to figure things out as we go along
>> No. 30619
[x] Hide in the shrine; the patrol is probably spread thin from searching the forest, and you would probably be better off hiding then trying to run in your weakened condition
[x] No, I prefer to figure things out as we go along

I was a bit put off first when I relized you actually put an email in the email field, but being that you're writing with proper grammar and this story has an interesting premise, I think most people can get over it with it.

Also, happy new year, Realmhopper.
>> No. 30621
A strengh seal that wears off in a few minutes? There go my fears of a MC overpowered.

[x] Hide in the shrine; the patrol is probably spread thin from searching the forest, and you would probably be better off hiding then trying to run in your weakened condition
[x] No, I prefer to figure things out as we go along
>> No. 30625
[x] Hide in the shrine; the patrol is probably spread thin from searching the forest, and you would probably be better off hiding then trying to run in your weakened condition
[x] No, I prefer to figure things out as we go along
>> No. 30626
That's the vote. This next post should finish off the prologue, after which we will move the story to a new thread. Writing now.
>> No. 30627
[X] Hide in the shrine; the patrol is probably spread thin from searching the forest, and you would probably be better off hiding then trying to run in your weakened condition.
[X] Yes, I would like to know what my abilities are as soon as possible.

I perfer that we know what we are able to do first, that way we can deal with things better than jumping in shouting WAAAAARGH! and then get turned into paste.
>> No. 30628
File 129394592231.png - (38.39KB , 800x800 , d07b37d457.png ) [iqdb]
30628
[x] Hide in the shrine; the patrol is probably spread thin from searching the forest, and you would probably be better off hiding then trying to run in your weakened condition
[x] No, I prefer to figure things out as we go along

Even if you kept on increasing the distance between you and your pursuers, you would probably just hit the city again at some point. Besides, in your current condition there would be no way you could outrun a whole patrol on your own. Hiding seems like the best option, and even if it is kind of out in the open, the shrine seems like your best bet.

You quickly enter the shrine and close the sliding door behind you. Surprisingly, it doesn’t fall apart the minute you touch it. You figure this shrine is made of sturdier stuff than you first imagined.

Hearing sounds of pursuit coming from outside, you look for somewhere to hide further within the shrine itself. The main issue with this is that the shrine seems to consist mainly of open space, so there really isn’t anywhere to hide yourself that isn’t somewhat obvious. The only places that seem feasible are in the rafters, under the floorboards, or inside the donation box that’s standing at the center of the far wall. The rafters are small and in plain view of the entrance, and you don’t really have time to tear up and replace the floorboards, so the donation box will have to do.

You climb inside and close the lid behind you, cursing the slots in the donation holes’ top. You hear the pursuit come to a stop outside the shrine. Oddly, they seem somewhat hesitant about actually entering the place to look for you. You think you can hear the words “cursed” and “superstition” coming up, but besides that you can’t really make out what they are saying.

The door opens, and someone peers inside. You see the beam of a flashlight above you, but it is quickly withdrawn as whoever entered quickly exits, saying that he didn’t see anyone inside. For some reason this satisfies those who are with him, and they quickly egress.

You breathe a sigh of relief, but keep yourself alert. You are going to have to stay in here a little while longer just in case there are more patrols in the immediate area. After that you can slice open a dimensional portal with Blade and…

For some reason, thinking of dimension hopping gives you the impression that something around you is… off. You can’t quite put your finger on it, but something just doesn’t feel right in the area around you.

Well, it might just be the effects of the seal reflux catching up to you now that you have calmed down a bit from your adrenalin rush. In fact, now that you have a moment to rest, you should take this chance to collect your thoughts and recover yourself, just in case the patrol comes back to play chase again.

You close your eyes and relax for a catnap, unaware of the dimensional energies swirling about you…

---

That's the end of the prologue. Up next comes the story in actuality, so I'm going to start that in a new thread. The next post will only have a paragraph or two before the vote, so it should be posted soon as well.