[Return]
Archived Thread

File 126169965826.jpg - (315.65KB , 1600x1200 , 8f3f51ab78901e4e0ae6bab40b6a7e6a.jpg ) [iqdb]
23761 No. 23761
The sun is hot as it sears everything around you. The earth, dry and cracked, begs for water to no avail. And so do you. This journey West had been longer than you had anticipated, and you survey the land as you drink the last sad remnants of your water. The food's running short, too, and if you don't find somewhere to restock soon, it may turn bad. The horizon turns up empty, as it's been for days. But no... out in the distance, the sun was in that direction so it had been hard to see, but definitely there was something on the horizon. Blessing your lucky stars, you ride towards it.

As you approach, it becomes obvious that it's a town. It isn't large, and probably is one of the many towns like it that have sprung up in the movement West. The buildings are neat, yet homely. Why it's here of all places is anyone's guess, but you at least are glad for it. It will have food and water.

As you ride in, you see that it is inhabited, as some people go about their business. Some whisper something to a friend and point at you, others seem to be trying to ignore you. Taking no heed, you continue on.

The first place you go is...

[] Stables
[] Bar
[] Inn
[] Elsewhere (write-in)
[] Wander

>> No. 23762
[X] Stables
>> No. 23764
[x] Bar
>> No. 23765
[X] Stables

We should tend to our horse first.
>> No. 23766
[x] Stables

>mailto:It's been long enough, hasn't it
It has, indeed.

Thank you~
>> No. 23767
[x] Bar
My throat burns with an awesome liquor.
>> No. 23768
[X] Stables
sounds good
>> No. 23776
File 126174573536.jpg - (106.14KB , 550x565 , 1190697970387-1.jpg ) [iqdb]
23776
[X] Stables

Of course, you first need to stable your horse. Fortunately, the stables are nearby; they are in fact directly to your right. Turning your horse in, you're greeted by a tall and rather unkempt girl with long white hair tied back in a ponytail that reaches almost to her knees. Her slacks, shirt, and most of her body is dirty in the way which is unavoidable for one who does physical labor. Her tone is cheerful.
"Hey-yah. Lookin' to stable that horse, sir?" You nod. "Yessir, leave 'em to me. But where're mah manners? Th'name's Mokou, ta mah friends ah'm sill Mokou. Ta you, ah'm the stablehand fer here. Stablehand an' stablemaster. 's not a large operation, y'see." She whistles as you get off your horse. "She's a real beaut, 'ain't she?" She pats it. "Ah'll make sure ta take good care o' this one, don't you worry. Now, that'll be, uh..." She sums up a few charges for stabling and ameneties aloud, and comes out with the wrong amount. Correcting her, you hand her your fee. "Ah, thank yah much, sir. Good ta know yah can still expect honesty ev'n out here. Not that we get much in th' way of trav'lers, mind you. Yeh've got ta be th' first one in... ah, a long time, ah reckon. Anyway, yeh might've noticed a few odd looks on yer way in? That's why. An' a man at that..."
"A man?"
"Ah, sir, maybe yeh haven't noticed yet, but our gender ratio's sorta lopsided, yeh see. Nonexistent might be th' better term. In alla this here town, we've got exactly one man. Well, two now. Th' point is, yer a doubly rare sight fer bein' a male an' a stranger. They're all good folks, though, don't mind any trouble they might cause, cause they don't mean none. Okay?" You nod again. "Okay, now ah'll take care of this girl as if she was mah own sucklin' babe, so you go off and don't worry fer a thing. Though if yeh got any questions about th' town then ah'm yer gal."

[] Marry me, please.
[] Why are there so few men?
[] Where's the Inn?
[] Where's the bar?
[] What places would you reccomend?
[] write-in (is always an option)
>> No. 23778
[ø] Marry me, please.
[ø] Why are there so few men?
[ø] What places would you reccomend?
>> No. 23780
[ø] Why are there so few men?
[ø] What places would you reccomend?
>> No. 23789
[x] Why are there so few men?
[x] What places would you recommend?

Damn, Mokou got double-country'd.
>> No. 23794
[X] Why are there so few men?
[X] What places would you recommend?

Well howdy do stranger? Welcome to [INSERT TOWN NAME HERE]

> [] Marry me, please.

Do it for the lulz.
>> No. 23795
[X] Why are there so few men?
[X] What places would you recommend?
>> No. 23858
[X] Why are there so few men?
[X] What places would you reccomend?

"Ah, straight to that, sir? Well, it's a bit of an odd subject. Ah think ah can give yeh the short answer, and that's this: it just really sort of happened. 's far as ah know, there's no underlyin' cause or anythin', it jus' happened to work out that the men left and the women stayed. A weird coincidence ta be sure, but ah dunno if it's more than that. But it's no recent thing. That all happened back when ah was a babe, so ah can't say ah know too much mahself. If yeh're still curious, yeh'll have ta go ask th' missus Shinki on th'other side o' town. She's been here longer than most anyone, so she'd know th' most about it. Other than that the Border's the local bar if yeh feel a bit dry after yer travels. Despite what th' name might have yeh think, it's a bit of a ways in from th' town's border, just down this road. Th' food's excellent, alcohol's excellent, atmosphere's excellent; can't go wrong there. Lessee... o'course, yeh'll need a place to sleep. The inn's jus' across from the bar, it's as cozy as you could ask for, if yeh don't mind... some of the other guests..." She frowns momentarily before continuing on, "We've got a church at th' center of town if yer th' religious type, the general store if yeh need supplies is jus' down the way and the first left, on th' right..." she traces a path through imaginary streets with her finger, "We've got a doctor, too, handy fer bein' so far out in th' middle o' nowhere... pretty much everythin' you could need. Any official business should be taken ta th' mayor, she's all th' way down the road, though good luck findin' her secretary, or th' sheriff, though ah'm hopin' yeh don' have any business with her of th' wrong kind. Not sayin' that yeh'd cause trouble, sir, o' course not, but the sheriff's a bit hasty to make presumptions an with you carryin' around a gun an all..." She indicates the holstered revolver at your side, "But as long as yeh stay on her good side she's a decen gal. An' ah think that's everythin'. Bit much ta take in, I'd expect, but if yer stayin' fer any length o' time it'll be useful. If yeh have anythin' else I'd be glad ta answer, otherwise ah'll get yer horse set up." She pats your faithful horse.

[] Ask
[] Go somewhere
please specify in either case.
>> No. 23862
[ø] Thank her for the help.
[ø] Go somewhere
-[ø] The bar.
>> No. 23866
[x] Thank her for the help.
[x] Go somewhere
-[x] The bar.
>> No. 23871
[x] Thank her for the help.
[x] Go somewhere.
-[x] The bar.
>> No. 23872
[x] Thank her for the help.
[x] Go somewhere
-[x] The inn.
>> No. 23874
[x] Thank her for the help.
[x] Go somewhere.
-[x] The bar.

So, the alcohol's excellent? We'll see about that.
>> No. 23880
[x] Thank her for the help.
[x] Go somewhere
-[x] The bar.

"There's nothing else. Thanks for your time."

"Aw, not at all, sir. Jus' happy to be of some help." Mokou gives a broad grin. "Well, if yeh'll excuse me, then, ah'll be attendin' ta mah work." She gives you a nod and walks your horse over to the stable. Adjoined to the side is a small house of maybe three rooms. It's out of a door in this house that another girl, older, with long hair of an odd silver-blue, now steps. Both converse in the lively fashion of close friends; a few motions in your direction indicates that you are mentioned. Nothing of your concern. You turn your paces toward the Border.
The bar was quite easy to find, owing much to the sign boldly proclaiming "The Border Saloon" in a very unsubtle shade of purple. The inside is full of chairs and tables, and maybe a little space to ease yourself between them. On the far right side what looks like a bandstand takes up much of the wall, across from the door the wall is mostly booze, as that's where the bar is. As the time is somewhere between noon and the proper hour for dinner, few people are around. Those that are turn to look as you enter. Those with friends mutter, some exchange looks. It seems Mokou was right about you being an oddity. The one with the most intense gaze is a girl with black hair and a notebook, sitting next to a rather quiet-lookng silver-haired girl. Her eyes seem like they're trying to urgently catch your attention. Shifting your focus quickly away, your eyes coast over a redhead who seems asleep in her chair, a cheerful looking girl with hair of a startling blue, and a silver-haired girl you almost missed in the corner, her back to the wall. Her eyes bore into you a different way, with almost lethal intent. You finally settle your gaze on the blonde bartender. She gives you a warm smile. You survey the room again. The best place to sit is...

[] The black-haired girl
[] The silver-haired girl in the corner
[] The blue-haired girl
[] The redhead
[] The bar
[] Alone
>> No. 23881
[x] The black-haired girl
There are few things as annoying as the feeling of a stare in the back of your head. Let's see what she needs.
>> No. 23883
Aya, Momiji(?), Meiling, Tenshi, and Sakuya?
And bartender Ran or Yukari.

[x] The bar.
>> No. 23884
It could also be Aya, Momiji, Komachi, Cirno and Youmu. I haven't read the first run through so I wouldn't know, though.
[ø] The bar
>> No. 23886
[x] The bar.

Just due to Bartenders being knowledgeable folk; otherwise I'd have sat by the redhead.
>> No. 23898
[x] Alone

A real badass. All eyes on us.
>> No. 23922
>>23884
Hmm... true. Probably more likely them, too.
>> No. 23928
It's back! It's back! Yay!

[X] The bar.

Nice little town ya got here.
>> No. 23936
File 126215191881.jpg - (285.23KB , 1182x930 , 1207558755400.jpg ) [iqdb]
23936
[x] The bar

The barmaid looks friendly enough, and you're thirsty anyway.
"What'll you have, stranger?"
"Anything hard is fine."
"On the rocks?"
"Please."
"Whiskey." She takes a bottle from behind her and pours it, placing the glass in front of you. The cold amber liquid feels good against your throat after days of lukewarm water. "The look on your face tells me you needed that, and I don't blame you. Anyone that's come all the way out to this town's traveled through miles of nothing. Could probably do with a good meal, too."
"Whaddya got?"
"Anything you want, within reason. I recommend the steak."
"Sounds good." She moves about gathering supplies.
"So, what brings you to our humble town, anyway?"
"Just chance."
"A drifter, eh? Still, it's nice to have a new face around. You'll be staying long?"
"Some time."
"A pleasure to make your acquaintance, then."
"Same here."
It's not long before a plate of meat and potatoes is placed in front of you. The taste as you dig in is great on its own account, but having been used to trail rations the change is nothing short of heavenly.
"Good, huh? I'm glad. I'm Ran, by the way. I don't actually own this place, but I as good as run it. The proprieter's quite a pain, she hardly leaves the house nowadays... it's just left to me and Chen."
"Chen?"
"Ou- er, my... daughter, you could say. She helps out around the bar, but she's in the back right now. An adorable child, to say the least, and she really does help a lot, she's..." Ran seems to be teetring on the brink of plunging into a monologue about this Chen's wonderful aspects, but manages to reign herself in. A mother indeed. "Anyhow, that's about the shape of it. Oh, and I'd appreciate if you payed up front."
You reach for your purse and pay out from what you realize is a rapidly dwindling supply.
"Thanks much." She gives you a warm smile.
Ran seems nice enough. You feel like you could ask her a few questions...

[] Marry me.
[] Why are there so few men?
[] What's the sheriff like?
[] Any places I could find some work?
[] There any rumors about?
>> No. 23937
[ø] Marry me
[ø] Any places I could find some work?
[ø] There any rumors about?
Must. Resist.
>> No. 23940
[x] Marry me
[x] Why are there so few men?
[x] This town seems as good a place as any to stay awhile in. What places could offer me some work?

I have no shame.
>> No. 23942
[x] Marry me
[x] Why are there so few men?
[x] This town seems as good a place as any to stay awhile in. What places could offer me some some quick cash?
>> No. 23947
[x] What's the sheriff like?
[x] Any places I could find some work?
[x] There any rumors about?

As much as I like Ran, I'd rather get to know everyone in the town before making any moves (since this might result in an early ending for all we know; though Ran'd politely reject such a absurd proposal)
>> No. 23949
>>23947
I highly doubt we're going to get "Sudden ball and chain end".

It's just some harmless flirting.
>> No. 23957
>>23949
>ball and chain
How dare you think so badly of being married to Ran.
>> No. 23960
>>23949

We can't be too sure unless in the original run that was the case.

That and over using that particular line will make it insulting and not amusing.
>> No. 23961
>>23957
Only after I post an undeletable post does it occur to me that you weren't really saying that. Great.

Well, fine. But you're on probation for even suggesting that. I'm keeping my eye on you!
>> No. 23987
>>23961
wat
>> No. 23996
[x] What's the sheriff like?
[x] Any places I could find some work?
[x] There any rumors about?
Money brings opportunity.
>> No. 24012
>[] Marry me.

All in good time.

>[] Why are there so few men?

Hey, if it ain't broke...

[X] What's the sheriff like?
[X] Any places I could find some work?
[X] There any rumors about?
>> No. 24013
[x] Marry me
[x] Why are there so few men?
[x] This town seems as good a place as any to stay awhile in. What places could offer me some some quick cash?
>> No. 24015
[x] Marry me
[x] Why are there so few men?
[x] This town seems as good a place as any to stay awhile in. What places could offer me some some quick cash?

In a joking way, of course.
>> No. 24074
File 126266539334.jpg - (110.10KB , 750x1058 , reimu (121).jpg ) [iqdb]
24074
[x] Marry me
[x] Why are there so few men?
[x] This town seems as good a place as any to stay awhile in. What places could offer me some some quick cash?

You look Ran in the eyes. "A good cook, kind to strangers, and considerate? I think I've found a wife."
Ran blushes just slightly, but laughs it off. "That's very kind of you, Stranger, but I suggest you be less hasty if you feel ready to mary a good smile in under an hour." She chides you jokingly.
"'Twas worth a try. But, on a more serious note, I've heard some things about this town's female population. Could you enlighten me at all as to why there's so few men?"
Ran pauses minutely before speaking. When she does, her tone is much more subdued. "That's... well, there's many reasons. Why do you wish to know?"
"Simple curiosity?"
"Remember that curiosity isn't always healthy... no, that's not a threat, just a warning."
"You know something."
"...A bit more than the average person. But I'll tell you this much. My husband was never the kind of man to disappear without a word."
"Disappear?"
"He was just... gone one morning, with all his things, as if he had never been. I've never seen nor heard of him since." She looks away, and you get a feeling you should move away from this subject.
"Well, thanks for your help. I have one last question. If I'll stay here for a while, I need a job. Where could I go?"
Ran cocks her head, thinking. "Hmm... There's plenty of folks that might appreciate a helping hand around here. I know the general store manager's looking for a hand. But if that revolver's more than just for show, I'd suggest you speak to the sheriff. She could use a deputy."
"Where is she?"
No sooner had you asked then you feel a tingling down your spine. Fractions of a second later, the saloon doors bang open. As you turn, you see a girl dressed in red and white sprinting across tables at an alarming pace, drawing her gun. Her eyes are on you. Ducking, you instinctively dive to the side, drawing your own weapon. Crouched, you cock the hammer and bring the gun up, centering it on her face. Only a couple paces from you, she does the same. After a few tense moments, her face lightens and she spins her gun, dropping it back to her side.
"Not bad, kid. A bit slow, but not bad at all." The girl speaks cheerfully, as though you had almost bested her at some game.
"That's her." Ran speaks dryly.
"Oh, were you talking about me? This makes introductions easy. Reimu, sheriff. Sorry for the scare, but when I heard fresh blood had wandered in, and that you had a weapon handy, I couldn't resist seeing just what you could do with it." She slings an arm around your shoulder. The room is rather silent.

[] Marry me
[] ...Need a deputy?
[] What are you, crazy?
>> No. 24076
[x] ...Need a deputy?
>> No. 24078
[x] Flash her a grin. "I was maybe going to ask if you needed a deputy, but if this is how you greet newcomers, I can't think anyone wants to be on the end of how you deal with proper criminals. This place would have to be the most law-abiding town ever."

something like that, but I want to say both ideas at once instead of separately.
>> No. 24079
[x] Marry me
>> No. 24085
[X] Flash her a grin. "I was maybe going to ask if you needed a deputy, but if this is how you greet newcomers, I can't think anyone wants to be on the end of how you deal with proper criminals. This place would have to be the most law-abiding town ever."

>>24079
Stop that
>> No. 24087
>>24079

Seriously, since that joke will stop being funny, and it may be a socially dammning thing eventually.

[X] Flash her a grin. "I was maybe going to ask if you needed a deputy, but if this is how you greet newcomers, I can't think anyone wants to be on the end of how you deal with proper criminals. This place would have to be the most law-abiding town ever."
-[x] "But seriously speaking, I'm willing to assist you"

Interesting story, sounds like something's a foot.
>> No. 24090
[x] ...Need a deputy?
>> No. 24093
[X] Flash her a grin. "I was maybe going to ask if you needed a deputy, but if this is how you greet newcomers, I can't think anyone wants to be on the end of how you deal with proper criminals. This place would have to be the most law-abiding town ever."
>> No. 24099
>>24087
That's why I saved it for Ran.
>> No. 24108
[x] Inquire as to the whereabouts of a priest. You would like to pre-book them for a wedding, just in case.
[x] ...Need a deputy?
[x] Quietly ask the bartender if the saloon has any Scarlet Ladies for hire.

Couldn't help but throw in that last part.
>> No. 24115
[ø] Inquire as to the whereabouts of a priest. You would like to pre-book them for a wedding, just in case.
[ø] Flash her a grin. "I was maybe going to ask if you needed a deputy, but if this is how you greet newcomers, I can't think anyone wants to be on the end of how you deal with proper criminals. This place would have to be the most law-abiding town ever."
>> No. 24664
Update, you wretch.
>> No. 24698
Short update to say that I'm alive and to get back into the swing of things. Should be able to hit a regular schedule now.
-----------------------------------------
[x] Flash her a grin. "I was maybe going to ask if you needed a deputy, but if this is how you greet newcomers, I can't think anyone wants to be on the end of how you deal with proper criminals. This place would have to be the most law-abiding town ever."

Reimu laughs. "You still on about that? I didn't mean any harm by it." A shrug. "And it's because there's so little for a sheriff to do that I can't resist livening things up a little when the time arises. But, that doesn't mean this town is free of crime. If you go by my office, the jail's got a bandit awaiting trial a few counties over. There's actually been an entire gang of bandits around as of late, but this one happens to be their leader. Took me a real fight to get her, too." She grimaces, obviously remembering the event. "Well, without their head, they seem to have quieted down... for now. But I could always use some help. You said you were thinking about deputy sheriff? If that offer's still valid, I could use someone like you."

[] Yes
[] No
>> No. 24699
[x] Yes

Sounds like an exciting job, and lots of down time, why not?
>> No. 24700
[s] Very yes.
>> No. 24701
[x] Yes

And once more, we travel this dusty road
Only to end up at the beginning
From whence we start anew.

>> No. 24736
[X] Ayup
>> No. 24737
[ø] Yes
>> No. 25496
About what I said before. That was a lie.
----------------------------
Reimu claps her hands, a genuine smile across her face. “Excellent! If you'll follow me, then, I have the forms in my office.” She turns to Ran. “Ran, I'm taking this guy. He's given me quite the evening so far, and so as an apology for scaring him, his meal's on me. Just put it on my tab, Alright?”
Ran responds rather exasperatedly, “Reimu, that tab's still got debts from months ago.”
“Thanks, Ran, I owe ya.” Reimu takes your shoulder and steers you out of the bar, giving Ran only a lazy flick of the wrist as a goodbye and not even acknowledging the accusation at all. You think about protesting, and glance back at Ran shaking her head slowly as she turns back to her duties. But, would it do any good? This girl seems to have a one-track mind. With a mental sigh, you allow yourself to be led.
Sometime during everything, the sun set. You walk along the dark streets, illuminated by occasional lanterns from the buildings. “I don't even know why we need forms for this kind of thing... A small town's deputy sheriff, way out in the middle of nowhere, nobody'd turn their head if procedure got shirked a bit. But Shiki... oh, that's the mayor, by the way, and we do have a mayor despite how we look... Shiki throws a fit if we don't follow regulations to the T. She's that kind of person. Well, that also means she's dependable, and I hear even the higher-ups are intimidated by her forceful personality. If it's something like getting you a salary, I'll have a talk with her later and I'm sure she can get it arranged. But of course, you've gotta earn it first. Not that it's anything hard to earn. As I mentioned, there's not much sheriffing to be done around here. But, I like to be on my guard, so you'll be able to help out. If anything I'll have you go around and just lend a hand where you're needed. Now...” You both arrive at a small building set apart from the others. It's undecorated and only marked by a painted star on the door. To the side is a smaller, sturdier building. The cell bars tell you it's a jail, the contour of the shadows hint that it's occupied. For now though, the shadows make no sound.
“Come on, get moving,” Reimu says with a bit of impatience. She grabs your arm and pulls you inside her office. Like the outside, it's sparsely decorated. A desk, cluttered with paperwork, faces you directly. A couple only mildly interesting pictures on the walls, and a small child passed out in the corner beside a couple liquor bottles. You stare at this last feature.
“Reimu...” You're uncertain where to begin, but Reimu gets the question.
“Oh, her? Don't worry about her. That's Suika. Orphaned, poor girl.” Reimu shakes her head.
“But the bottles?”
“Yeah, that's alcohol. Strong, too. She runs off the stuff.”
“And you just let her drink, at that age?”
Reimu shrugs. “If it was going to kill her, I think it'd have done it by now. I don't ask questions, I just pay her.”
“Pay her?”
“She's my current deputy.”
“Her?” you ask incredulously. What kind of job is the deputy position that Reimu'd hire a girl that hasn't even hit puberty?
“I know it's a bit odd,” Reimu says, “But she's more help than you'd think. Uncommonly strong, if she's actually motivated to do anything where it's needed.” You still don't believe it, but what do you say in a situation like this? “Here, here, sign this.” Wasn't the correct answer, but it was what Reimu said, tapping a contract with a pen. You take a glance over it, find nothing odd, and so sign it on the line next to Reimu's own name. Reimu's signature is overly flashy, and she probably takes pride in it.
“And with that, it's official.” Reimu thumps you on the back and hands you a badge. “I'll take care of everything else. From today on, you're under my employ, kid. Now go, and do great things.” She gives you a push out the door and a wave.
You look behind you, thinking that there are many strange things about this town. You look ahead, and the jail draws your eye.

[ ] Go to the inn
[ ] Check out the jail
>> No. 25497
Well, something went very, very wrong here. I humbly apologize for the inconvenience.
>> No. 25499
[x] Go to the inn.

In before Mima runs the inn.
>> No. 25509
[x] Go to the inn

Let's make arrangements first before doing anything else.
>> No. 25527
[X] Check out the jail

Curious about who casued enough trouble to be jailed. Shouldnt take too long, so we can get lodging afterwards.
>> No. 25832
What the fuck?

Only three votes?

Bump, dammit.
>> No. 25838
[x] Go to the inn
>> No. 25845
[x] Check out the jail
>> No. 25850
[ ] Check out the jail
>> No. 25903
>bumped, only to get tied
FFFFFFFFF
>> No. 25908
[x] Go to the inn
>> No. 28477
File 127816714523.jpg - (85.88KB , 800x748 , a71e570229dc619fc938a99e74ee1334c54c6582.jpg ) [iqdb]
28477
I... I don't know what to say. I'm no good at keeping to a schedule, but deep inside I love this story and want to see it thrive. And, it seems that some people actually care about this thing, which makes me happier than anything. So... I'm going to keep it going. Try to, anyway. I can't let myself stop with this. Anyone who's stuck with me, or cares, or passes a vote to this humble, mostly unknown story of mine, thank you out of the bottom of my heart.
-----------------------------------------------
[x] Go to the inn

You decide to leave the jail be. As you walk by it, though, you feel eyes boring into the back of your head. You firmly ignore them. Instead, you turn your steps toward the inn. It's been a tiring day, after all, and you're looking forward to a real bed.
It doesn't take long to find the place. Opening the door, your first impression is that it feels more like a home than an inn. A softly crackling fireplace spreads warmth across the room. A reception desk and a set of stairs mark that this is indeed the inn. On the other side of the room, a lady holds a small child. Turning to you as you enter, she smiles in a way that can only be described as motherly. Judging from the child, you suppose that she is, in fact, a mother.
"Good evening, dearie." Her voice is gentle, calming. "Haven't seen you around. New, I suppose? I've heard word, but it's been... ah, I'm carrying on again. Need a room?"
You nod.
"Not a problem at all. How long will you be staying?" She puts down the child, pats her sky-blue head, then sends her through a door in the back of the room. Assuming a more businesslike posture, she takes out a small writing pad.
"Not quite sure, in fact. Maybe a few weeks?"
"Ah, no problem, then. Just pay when you leave." She scribbles down a number on the pad and shows it to you. "This is the cost per night. Is that okay?"
It's quite reasonable, and you have no reason to refuse. "Sure."
"Excellent!" She claps her hands together. "Now, now, key..." She searches around behind the reception desk before finding one. "Here, room 218. Just up the stairs, and the end of the hall. Though we don't get many visitors here, we have some people that take this as a sort of permanent residence, so try knot to make too much noise, 'kay?" She speaks with the air of reminding a small child of his manners.
You give her an affirmative and take the key. She sees you off with a smile. Up the stairs and to your room. It's modest, with a bed, writing desk, lamp, a chest for your personal effects, and a window that gives a wonderful view of the rising moon. Tired, you fall into bed. It's soft, like nothing you've felt since you began journeying. Even for a bed, it's soft. You're asleep as soon as you hit the pillow.
Morning dawns, and you're awoken by a knock at the door. It's the little blue-hared girl from the night before.
"Breakfast," she says.
"Hm?"
"Breakfast." She tugs on your pant leg. You notice that beside her is a tray of food.
"Oh, thank you." You pat her head, which she seems to like. She skips away as you pick up the tray. Breakfast must be included. Well, better for you. You eat, idly wondering how the inn manages to survive on its income with few visitors and a free meal included. Though it's jsut eggs and toast, something about it makes the flavor all the better.
You finish, and decide to leave. It's early, so you should go...

[ ] Stables
[ ] Bar
[ ] Reimu
[ ] Church
[ ] General store
[ ] Doctor
[ ] Wander
[ ] Jail
>> No. 28480
[x] Reimu

She probably knows who needs help and all.
>> No. 28482
[x] Bar

Bars often are hot spots for quests.
>> No. 28486
[x] Bar
>> No. 28487
[X] Bar

Best place for brawls, info, etc.
>> No. 28489
Holy fuck, you are back!

[ ] Reimu
>> No. 28491
Hey, look, I'm posting alone on THP again. In any case, please disregard the new tripcode; I just don't feel like sorting through hundreds of files and folders to find my old one. Sorry for this little interruption of a prelude.
--------------------

[~] Bar

Because reaching the vote limit-> progression!
>> No. 28497
[x] Bar

You decide to go to the bar. On your way out, you take a moment to thank the innkeeper for breakfast.
"Miss..."
"Whiterock, but just call me Letty." She waves a hand dismissively. "It's no problem, really. Just knowing that there are people enjoying my cooking is reward enough for me. Now, take care. Though I'm sure you don't need a lady like me telling you that." She chuckles and sees you off.
It's the time when the town is just starting to move, and the Border is just beginning to serve its first customers. The whispering and looks they send your way remind you that this town isn't quite used to you yet, and your badge attracts even more attention. For a drifter who came in yesterday to be marked as the sheriff's deputy, it's no surprise that it only adds to their interest. You recognize the black-haired girl from yesterday, but her friend seems to be missing. Besides her, the ones that catch your eye are a redhead, a sly-looking girl, also with black hair, and a rather dignified blonde. The redhead seems to be the only one not paying attention to you. In fact, she's fast asleep. Ignoring that, you take a seat at the bar.
"Well, it looks like Reimu's caught you good and all," Ran remarks dryly, polishing a glass.
"She didn't seem that bad."
"Apart from her greeting you with a gun to the forehead."
"...Apart from that," you admit. Ran leaves that to sink in for a moment before turning back to you.
"So, somethin' to eat?"
"I already ate."
"At the inn, huh? Well then, what brings you here if not for food?"
"Barkeepers tend to pick up on a lot of news. I was wondering about anything interesting."
She laughs. "Depends what you think is interesting. If you want Shinki's exact age, no matter how desperately she tries to hide it, I can give you that. If you want the latest trouble that trio of rascals has gotten into, I can tell you exactly what they nicked from the general store. If you're looking for bandits and gunslinging excitement, I'm afraid you've wandered into entirely the wrong town. There haven't been any bandits here..." She puts down the glass in front of you, and thinks for a bit. "Well, not anymore. Not for a few months, since that jail cell became full. You must have seen her, if Reimu dragged her to your office. Anyhow, with her out of trouble the town's become perfectly quiet. Some of her gang have been seen here or there about town, but they keep to their own and haven't stirred up trouble. So, there you are. Did that answer your question?"
You nod. "Yeah, thanks."
"Anything else?"

[ ] (write-in)
[ ] Go talk to... (choose one)
[ ] Leave for (place)
>> No. 28504
[x] Leave for the jail

Need some more information
>> No. 28507
[x] Leave for the jail
>> No. 28508
[x] Leave for the jail

Bandwagoing to get things moving.
>> No. 28526
[x] Go talk to Reimu

So, Reimu, whadda we do tonight today?
>> No. 28530
File 127833812159.jpg - (826.10KB , 992x1330 , 9e801e11e8c802764160c480271fca2e.jpg ) [iqdb]
28530
[x] Leave for the jail

"No, thanks." You give Ran a smile, stand, and leave the bar. If that jailbird's the only criminal in these parts, you suppose that it's your duty to at least give a bit of an inspection.
You can see the jail more clearly in the sunlight. As you were told, it has a lone occupant, sitting against a corner of the cell. You assume it's a girl from the long green hair, but that same matted hair curtains her face and obscures her features. It seems she's sleeping.
You spend a while deciding whether to wake her, until suddenly she speaks.
"Hey, kid." Her tone is low and matter-of-fact. "What do you think of the world?"

[ ] Write-in
>> No. 28532
>>28530
Wait, what? You're still alive? This still exists?

>sudden and short update expecting long write-in to undefined question
Oh, I see. Son-of-a-bitch.

[x] "I don't think my easy-going ways can properly express my views of the world as anything more than childish drivel. I'd like to hear your views of the world, though. I think the experiences of a criminal who threw away her freedom and now rots her life away in a prison have a lot more depth and meaning than a wanderer with no goals who's willing to sit and listen to you."
-[x] "Nice hair, by the way."

This should be enough to get you started. Awaiting cryptic musings and moral-of-my-life-story.
>> No. 28534
>>28532

>sudden and short update expecting long write-in to undefined question
>bandwagon on one dude's write-in so that there aren't a million of them and because we are lazy and stupid

Thanks for making it this time.


[x] "I don't think my easy-going ways can properly express my views of the world as anything more than childish drivel. I'd like to hear your views of the world, though. I think the experiences of a criminal who threw away her freedom and now rots her life away in a prison have a lot more depth and meaning than a wanderer with no goals who's willing to sit and listen to you."
-[x] "Nice hair, by the way."
>> No. 28608
[x] "What kind of question is that?"

Seriously.
>> No. 28633
[x] "I don't think my easy-going ways can properly express my views of the world as anything more than childish drivel. I'd like to hear your views of the world, though. I think the experiences of a criminal who threw away her freedom and now rots her life away in a prison have a lot more depth and meaning than a wanderer with no goals who's willing to sit and listen to you."
-[x] "Nice hair, by the way."

The woman is silent for a moment before replying. "Drivel, eh? I'd still have liked to hear it. Still, I can at least see that you've got no illusions about philosophical bullshitting. Don't like existentialism much?" She chuckles. "Neither do I, so I think I'll pass on telling you my own opinions. Maybe I don't even have any. I partly asked you because I've been searching for the answer myself. I'll correct you on one point, though. I didn't throw my life away. It was taken from me." She sighs. "Ahh, I really have been cooped up here too long, if I've sunk this low." She slumps over to the side. "When're they going to get a move on with the trial? I've been waiting for months. Even for a town out in the middle of nowhere, you'd think we'd get some sort of response by now."
She somehow slipped into complaining, and about her own trial, no less. In falling over, her hair shifted to reveal an eye the same color as her hair, fixed on you.
"But, thanks for being willing to sit and listen to me, as you put it. In return, I'll tell you this. Kid, you're special. I don't just say this because I've taken a liking to you. Call it a woman's intuition. Things are going to happen to this quiet town, and you're going to play a part in them. Believe me or no; that's the feeling I get from you."

[ ] Ask something else
[ ] Leave
specify for either, please~
>> No. 28637
[x] Ask something else
-[x] "Taken from you? I'm curious about what you mean by that"
>> No. 28643
[x] Ask something else
-[x] "Taken from you? I'm curious about what you mean by that"
>> No. 28660
[x] Ask something else
-[x] "Taken from you? I'm curious about what you mean by that"

"I suppose you would be, huh? Well I'm not going to sit here and tell you my life's story, because that's what it would take, but I will tell you that it involves your lovely sheriff over there, and in more ways than her tossing me in this cell. No, she and I go way back." She chuckles. "That girl took something more important than my freedom long ago. But then again, I got something important out of it, too." She smiles faintly. "And I'm sure you're wondering about what I mean, right? But of course, it's no fun if I tell you everything right away. I want to watch you form your own conclusions for now."
"What do you mean?" You ask.
"Didn't I say? I've taken an interest in you, kid. I want to watch you grow." She falls silent again.

[ ] Ask something else
[ ] Leave
>> No. 28661
[x] "I'll keep my mind open then"
[x] Leave
-[x] Check in with Reimu, but don't reveal the discussion.
>> No. 28663
[x] Leave
I'm not sure how much watching she will be able to accomplish from a jail cell. Maybe shes planning a jail break.
>> No. 28665
>>28663
The implication is that whatever's coming up will be so big even she'll be finding out about it.
>> No. 28666
[x] Leave
-[x] Check in with Reimu, but don't reveal the discussion.

Don't want to trust the jailed Mima.
>> No. 28685
You know, with how bizarrely heavy Mima is getting in a setting that one would think does not lend itself to heaviness, this just kind of makes me think of Kino's Journeys.
>> No. 28687
>>28666
To be honest it's not quite enough to take as truth, but enough to keep one's mind open.
>> No. 28713
File 127929148276.jpg - (99.98KB , 557x800 , a72bac73faafc17fa90da94351ffa58ece03460b.jpg ) [iqdb]
28713
[x] Leave
-[x] Check in with Reimu, but don't reveal the discussion.

"It's been... enlightening," is all you manage. You turn to leave.
"Oh, and Kid?"
You turn back.
"I'm glad you like my hair." She gives you a slight smile, twisting a lock around her finger.
It's not long before you're sitting in Reimu's office. The sheriff herself is in her chair, feet propped up on her desk, and the child that is your partner deputy is snoozing softly in a corner, clutching a bottle of some amber liquid.
"So, you want to hear about who's the person in prison, huh?"
"I think I should know about the town's history of crime." She stares at you for a moment, sizing you up. "It's not a problem, is it?" You ask.
"Oh, no, not at all. In fact, I applaud your vigilance in your new duty." Her face changes into a wry smile. "So, Mima. Yes, her name's Mima. The leader of the one and only bandit gang that this peaceful town's been blessed with. Charged with multiple counts of theft, destruction of property, and assault. Age unknown."
"Unknown?"
"She always insists it's rude to ask a lady her age." Reimu rolls her eyes. "Go figure. In any case, she's raided this town's supply routes for years. Then three months ago, I managed to duel her down and take her into custody. It wasn't easy, but I wasn't recognized with distinction for my service in the Civil War for nothing." She looks quite proud of it. "But of course, there's no court in a town like this, so we've gotta wait for a date from a larger town that's actually got one. So far, not a word, but the summons should come any day now. Anyhow, Mima's the past now. She's locked up and nothing for you to worry about."

[ ] Press for more information (write)
[ ] Explain your conversation with Mima
[ ] Leave for (write)
>> No. 28714
[x] Press for more information
-[x] How big was her gang? Do you know where they are?
>> No. 28715
[x] Press for more information (write)
- [x] Ask about how she got that distinction in the civil war in an interested tone.
>> No. 28716
[x] Press for more information
-[x] There was a Civil War?
Cant really do our job without knowing things like this.
>> No. 28743
[X] Press for more information (write)
[X] Ask about how she got that distinction in the civil war in an interested tone.

Tie-breakin' games. Also real-world historical tie-in sounds fun.
>> No. 28768
My primary vote.
[X] Press for more information (write)
[X] Ask about how she got that distinction in the civil war in an interested tone.

Double Tie-breakan' gaems.

If possible, this would be nice, too:
-[x] How big was her gang? Do you know where they are?
>> No. 28781
[x] Press for more information (write)
[x] What distinction?
>> No. 28822
[X] Press for more information (write)
[X] Ask about how she got that distinction in the civil war in an interested tone.

"...How I got my distinction?" She repeats your question, eyes wandering up towards the roof. "Valor, leadership capability, display of competence on the battlefield, that sort of general idea."
"Leadership?"
"Yeah. It was General Hakurei before I took this job, but nobody calls me that anymore."
"A general?" you ask, surprised, but Reimu waves it off.
"It's no big deal, really, and I don't expect you to start calling me ma'am or anything like that. It's in the past, now."
You nod. "Was there any specific battle that you received the medal for?"
"Well, I didn't win any major victories. But, if I'm allowed to brag a bit, I managed to hold one of our fronts steady against one of the Confederate army's more notorious leaders. Notorious among some circles, anyway. I doubt the name means much of anything to you, but it was a true battle of wits. The only reason our names never spread was that we never produced any stunning losses or victories. Simply put, it was a good battle that wasn't too interesting to hear about." She shrugs. "That's really all I can say about it. Anything else?"
"Back on Mima..."
"What about her?"
"Most of her gang is still at large, right? Can you tell me how many there are, or where they're based?"
Reimu fixes her gaze back on you. "I'd tell you if I knew, but the group is rather secretive. We've never found their base of operations. All we know is that it's probably somewhere to the East, because that's the direction they usually come from. I'd set their number at no greater than fifteen men strong, though. Most have made names for themselves like Marisa Two-hands, Yuugi the Demon, and Parsee the Green Maiden, to name a few. So, I guess be on the look out for them." Reimu scratches her cheek. "They haven't been active lately, though, so it's probably not an issue. Still, I hired you for a reason. Just let me know if anything happens, alright?"
"Alright."
In the silence that follows, the only audible sound is that of the child snoozing softly among her booze.

[ ] Press for more information
[ ] Check up on the drunken loli
[ ] Leave for (write)
>> No. 28823
[x] Check up on the drunken loli
>> No. 28829
[x] Check up on the drunken loli
[x] Make it your duty to call her "General Hakurei" from now on.

Reimu embarrassing games~
>> No. 28834
[x] Leave for the General Store
Crime is at an all time low in our town. I guess our job is to be a friendly, polite face until shit hits the fan. Frankly, I'm just curious how Kourins doing. Assuming he is the one running the store, of course.
>> No. 28862
File 128045152666.jpg - (191.63KB , 632x632 , 1269209262069.jpg ) [iqdb]
28862
[x] Check up on the drunken loli

You cast a glance back over that small girl in the corner, but don't entirely want to disturb her.
Reimu notices your gaze. "She won't bite, you know. Here." She cups her hands around her mouth. "Ey, Suika!" The little girl stirs and blinks her eyes open.
"S-Somethin' wrong, Reimu?" She asks, blearily.
"You're pretty off yourself, but I'm used to that," Reimu replies. "But here, you haven't met the new kid, right?"
Suika looks back and forth between you and Reimu a couple times. "...Hi, new kid~" She seems to speak with all the cheerfulness she can muster from a half-asleep daze. Though it's a bit dubious for this girl to be addressing you with 'kid', you let it pass.
"Nice to meet you," You say politely.
Suika nods and looks you up and down. "Doesn't look like much, does he?" This coming from a child no more than half your age, you feel a bit insulted.
"Uh, Reimu..."
"Don't worry, she's like that. And truthfully, you don't look like much beyond an average guy." Reimu waves your look off.
"But Reimu, she's..."
"More than she looks, I'll tell you that. She can more than stand her own in a fight. You don't think I'd just hire some helpless child to be my deputy, would you? Of course not. You see those fists? I don't know what kind of training regime she keeps to, and she refuses to say, but one blow from those and it's all over."
Suika lifts a fist into the air with a dull "Eii~" of enthusiasm. To you, it looks no different than the hand of any small girl.
"Reimu, you're expecting me to believe that a girl less than half my weight could beat me in a fight?" You're justifiably incredulous.
"Handily," Reimu smugly replies.
This is just too much. You...

[] Challenge Suika to a duel
[] Adopt Suika
[] Leave; This is getting ridiculous.
>> No. 28863
[x] Adopt Suika
Protect the loli! And vice versa.
>> No. 28864
[X] Adopt Suika

Seriously, this would be cool. Since in this world she's not actually 1000 years old or something, and could use an older guardian.
>> No. 28865
[x] Adopt Suika

This seems like a good idea.
>> No. 28866
[X] Adopt Suika

Good for a laugh at least.
>> No. 28867
[x] Challenge Suika to a duel
This place ain't big enough for two deputies.
Goddamn, that Adopt option was mighty tempting, though.
>> No. 28869
> Marisa Two-hands
Obvious thief is obvious
> Yuugi the Demon
Must be the muscle
> Parsee the Green Maiden
...okay, I've got nothin

[X] Challenge Suika to a duel,
-[X] Then adopt Suika
>> No. 28883
[x] Adopt Suika

>>28869
The brains? She covets other's possessions, lures them into a trap, let's one knock them out, and the other takes the prize.

Maybe it's her duty to blend in with society and spread rumors or false information that makes raids and thievery easier. Having an affair with a rich man then blackmailing him into paying unless he wants his wife to find out. Digging up dirt on someone who's running for mayor. Distracting the guards in a skimpy outfit while her partners in crime sneak past.

Or could be she's just a normal outlaw with trademark green lipstick she leaves on the men she's killed.
>> No. 28889
[] Adopt Suika
>> No. 28893
[x] Armwrestle Suika

Futile sane option.
>> No. 28894
[x] Adopt Suika

Reimu stares for a moment, then laughs. "Ahh... oh my. Now, I know you're serious, but that's part of what makes it funny. I mean, aren't we getting a bit ahead of ourselves? You've hardly been in town one full day, and yet you're already trying to adopt children. It's sweet, it really is. But I'm already her legal guardian, and I don't think I'm such a bad parent." You glance over at the alcohol in the girl's clutch, then back at Reimu. "Okay, okay, bad example. I told you, she runs off the stuff. Hasn't seem to have hurt her yet, so I'd really just call her a special case... Anyhow, I don't just give her alcohol. I properly feed her and everything. On top of that, she's rather independent for a girl of her age, so I don't think there's anything to worry about. Right Suika?"
Suika raises a thumbs-up.
"See? There you are. But don't be discouraged, she'll probably be here whenever you want to see her. Or could it be..." Reimu smirks. "You just want a daughter? If so, feel free to stick around town. We've got a veritable surfeit of eligible bachelorettes; I'm sure you could get hitched in no time."
"Is this really advice the sheriff should be giving?" You ask.
"Why not? It's true. Anyhow, it's just a comment. Take it or leave it as you will." Reimu stretches back in her chair. "So, anything else?"

[ ]Who's most eligible?
[ ]Are you eligible?
[ ]Are there any men at all?
[ ]Something else
[ ]Nothing else (leave)
>> No. 28895
File 128059777550.jpg - (672.99KB , 1400x1734 , c0a83029f66cb01be26adba121ccbd3646aadadc.jpg ) [iqdb]
28895
[X] “Well, if you’re going to speak the truth… Who’s the most eligible that doesn’t let herself get ridden like a mule?”
[X] “Where’s the gun shop in this town? If I’m your deputy I might think about getting me a rifle.”

First part because you might as well strike while the iron’s hot.

Second part because any man in the West should have a good rifle with him. Also because if the gun shop’s not a subset of Rinnosuke’s shop, I want to know who runs it.

Picture because hells yeah.
>> No. 28896
[X]Are you eligible?
>> No. 28897
[X] “Well, if you’re going to speak the truth… Who’s the most eligible that doesn’t let herself get ridden like a mule?”
[X] “Where’s the gun shop in this town? If I’m your deputy I might think about getting me a rifle.”
>> No. 28898
[Q] Are there any men at all?

Good question to ask. Also, don't you think that first one could sound a bit... offensive? I'm positive there's a better way to word that, but I'll be damned if I find it at eleven thirty at night.
>> No. 28899
[X] Are there any men at all?
>> No. 28900
[X] “Well, if you’re going to speak the truth… Who are the top five most eligible?”
[X] “Where’s the gun shop in this town? If I’m your deputy I might think about getting me a rifle.”

I'll make you flesh out this story even if I have to force you!

...Also, can't you have him actually ask the question? It feels kind of... game-y.
>> No. 28905
[x] "Are you eligible?" Wink at her.
[x] "Are there any men at all?"
[x] “Where’s the gun shop in this town? If I’m your deputy I might think about getting me a rifle.”

Everybody is eligible. Just aim and keep shooting.
>> No. 28906
[X] “Well, if you’re going to speak the truth… Who are the top five or seven most eligible?”
-[x] "Of course I wouldn't dare ask about you; I'm sure it'd take more than some hot shot drifter to get a chance with you."
[X] “Where’s the gun shop in this town? If I’m your deputy I might think about getting me a rifle.”

A bit of flirting never hurts.
>> No. 28911
[X] “Well, if you’re going to speak the truth… Who are the top five or seven most eligible?”
-[x] "Of course I wouldn't dare ask about you; I'm sure it'd take more than some hot shot drifter to get a chance with you."
[X] “Where’s the gun shop in this town? If I’m your deputy I might think about getting me a rifle.”

Delicious Reimu.
>> No. 28914
[X] “Well, if you’re going to speak the truth… Who are the top five or seven most eligible?”
-[x] "Of course I wouldn't dare ask about you; I'm sure it'd take more than some hot shot drifter to get a chance with you."
[X] “Where’s the gun shop in this town? If I’m your deputy I might think about getting me a rifle.”
>> No. 28926
>>28900
>...Also, can't you have him actually ask the question? It feels kind of... game-y.

It is a game, isn't it?
>> No. 29011
The week went fast. It's sort of a transitional period, so bear with me. I'm not giving up on this child just yet.
>> No. 29266
File 128277903523.jpg - (160.41KB , 612x842 , 3642b7308e7f56cfc5dfdd12c3b8325f44575cc1.jpg ) [iqdb]
29266
[X] “Well, if you’re going to speak the truth… Who are the top five or seven most eligible?”
-[x] "Of course I wouldn't dare ask about you; I'm sure it'd take more than some hot shot drifter to get a chance with you."
[X] “Where’s the gun shop in this town? If I’m your deputy I might think about getting me a rifle.”

"I see you don't beat around the bush. The most eligible, eh? You must remember that this town's male to female ratio is basically nonexistent. Of course, there's a few widows who won't give up memories of their old husbands, but overall I'd think you have a good shot at any gal that takes your fancy. As for attractiveness, you'd know your own tastes better than I. If you like rich girls there's a mansion over on the other side of town. Good luck getting in to court the lady, though. I'm not even sure if that guard speaks english. If you prefer down-to-earth girls, There's the stable gal, I'm sure you've met her. If you're into older women, the town elder. We've got a doctor, a teacher, a scholar, a preacher... for you, the sky's the limit. Don't you feel lucky?" She grins. "I wouldn't even say your chances with me are zero. I mean, the future is infinite possibility. Do your best, my fine deputy. Oh, and as for a gun, most of that kind of stuff you can pick up at the general store, as well as checking out your competition in the male department. Not that he's much competition."
"Is that a compliment?"
"It's more of a reflection on him." Reimu's features shift for a moment. "Now, I can't have you sitting in here forever. I'm sure you have skirts to be chasing or something." She waves you off. "It's nearly time for my noon whiskey. I'd ask you to stay, but I won't." She sets a bottle on the table. "Go on." You get up, apparently getting kicked out, and leave for...

[ ] Bar
[ ] General Store
[ ] Nowhere in particular
>> No. 29269
[x] Bar
>> No. 29271
[X] General Store

A new deputy shouldn't be wandering about chasing skirts without looking the part.
>> No. 29272
[x] Nowhere in particular
>> No. 29274
[X] General Store

Pretty frank, Reimu. I like that.
>> No. 29275
[ø] Bar
-[ø] "so, Ran, what can you tell me about this 'Mima'?"
>> No. 29276
[x] General Store
Better go get some supplies, and meet up with our future bro.
>> No. 29305
[x] General Store

Stock up!
>> No. 29335
File 128357218959.jpg - (637.90KB , 800x800 , 03e50ce427a702800a2203753201fbf5.jpg ) [iqdb]
29335
[x] General Store

You'd might as well go to the general store. You wouldn't be adverse to buying some necessities, and might as well meet the only other man around here. You can't say you're not curious about him after all.
A bell rings softly above your head as you step into the store. The shelves are neatly lined with various useful goods ranging from tools to sweets. All-in-all, it seems like a completely average store.
The man that looks up from behind the register might have also been average, were it not for the fact that all his hair is a silvery-white, despite not looking a year over twenty. He merely glances at you, looks back down at his newspaper, then does a quick double-take.
"Howdy." You try to start it off on a friendly note.
He tosses the paper aside and bodily flips himself over the desk. "So, you're that man they've been talking about?" He seizes your hand in a firm handshake. "Rinnosuke"
"Rinnos-"
"Call me Rino."
"Rino."
"There. Anyhow..." He seizes both your shoulders tightly. "It's fabulous to finally have another man around! If there's anything you need, anything at all, don't hesitate. In this town, we are brothers."
"Brothers?"
"Men must stick together! Especially in this town of women!"
"Somethin' wrong with women?"
"Hm? No, not at all. I love them, in fact. There's some real beauties on this town. You know, right?" He looks at your face, and notices that his own has gotten quite close to it. He draws back quickly. "Sorry, but it's been a while since I've seen someone of the same gender. I got a bit overentheusiastic. As I said before, the name's Rinnosuke." He bows. "At your service. If you want it, I can get it for you, no matter what, that's my motto."
You look around the store. "Anything?"
"You might not believe it, but I have some useful connections."
"There doesn't seem to be anything really extraordinary here, if you don't mind my sayin'."
"Oh, oh, of course you don't. I keep the more interesting products in the back." He points to a door. "I promise you, I make good on my motto... for a price. Some things don't come cheap, you know." He adjusts his glasses with a wink.
You size him up. If he really can provide you with anything, he would definitely be useful. "Alright, I'll take your word. In that case, I'll want...

[ ] A rifle
[ ] A wedding band
[ ] Ammunition
[ ] A comb
[ ] An elephant
[ ] etc.
>> No. 29336
[x] A rifle
-[x] Ammunition
This is precisely the reason we came here, might as well be boring and just get it.
>> No. 29338
[x] A rifle
-[x] Not just any rifle, no. It's gotta be the meanest son-of-an-especially-powerful-firearm-who-was-raised-to-be-the-best-because-he-had-better-earn-it-instead-of-just-being-handed-it rifle to ever fire a bullet and put down a horse so well with one shot it killed the rider too.
--[x] And ammunition for the aforementioned rifle. A good amount of it, but not so much it makes you seem like one of them itchy-fingered vigilantes that shoot up anyone so much as breathes funny.
>> No. 29339
[ø] A rifle
-[ø] Not just any rifle, no. It's gotta be the meanest son-of-an-especially-powerful-firearm-who-was-raised-to-be-the-best-because-he-had-better-earn-it-instead-of-just-being-handed-it rifle to ever fire a bullet and put down a horse so well with one shot it killed the rider too.
--[ø] And ammunition for the aforementioned rifle. A good amount of it, but not so much it makes you seem like one of them itchy-fingered vigilantes that shoot up anyone so much as breathes funny

This seems good.
>> No. 29345
[x] A rifle
-[x] Not just any rifle, no. It's gotta be the meanest son-of-an-especially-powerful-firearm-who-was-raised-to-be-the-best-because-he-had-better-earn-it-instead-of-just-being-handed-it rifle to ever fire a bullet and put down a horse so well with one shot it killed the rider too.
--[x] And ammunition for the aforementioned rifle. A good amount of it, but not so much it makes you seem like one of them itchy-fingered vigilantes that shoot up anyone so much as breathes funny.
[x] ...And a comb, a wedding band, and an elephant.
[x] ...What, you said you could get everything, right?
[x] Obviously, you are joking about the ring and the elephant.
[x] Well, probably joking about the ring. Just out of curiosity, do you have any available, though?

I don't want all this to detract from the vote I based it on, so if it happens to win, I'd prefer the rest was asked well after the bit about the gun.

>>29338
That sounds an awful lot like "a weapon with history". This could be interesting.
>> No. 29385
[x] A rifle
-[x] Not just any rifle, no. It's gotta be the meanest son-of-an-especially-powerful-firearm-who-was-raised-to-be-the-best-because-he-had-better-earn-it-instead-of-just-being-handed-it rifle to ever fire a bullet and put down a horse so well with one shot it killed the rider too.
--[x] And ammunition for the aforementioned rifle. A good amount of it, but not so much it makes you seem like one of them itchy-fingered vigilantes that shoot up anyone so much as breathes funny.
[x] ...And a comb, a wedding band, and an elephant.
-[x] ...What, you said you could get everything, right?
--[x] Obviously, you are joking about the ring and the elephant.
---[x] Well, probably joking about the ring. Just out of curiosity, do you have any available, though?
>> No. 29485
Jesus, weeks fly by.
-------------------------------------------
[x] A rifle
-[x] Not just any rifle, no. It's gotta be the meanest son-of-an-especially-powerful-firearm-who-was-raised-to-be-the-best-because-he-had-better-earn-it-instead-of-just-being-handed-it rifle to ever fire a bullet and put down a horse so well with one shot it killed the rider too.
--[x] And ammunition for the aforementioned rifle. A good amount of it, but not so much it makes you seem like one of them itchy-fingered vigilantes that shoot up anyone so much as breathes funny.


He stares at you.
"You know how I said I could get you anything?"
"Yeah?"
"I've got just what you need. This way." He opens the door to the back, and you follow him in.
Compared to the main body of the store, the back was less messy. No, in fact, the back was indeed the main body of the store, being noticeably larger than the front of the shop. Shelves and desks filled the room, every one of them cluttered with merchandise and some things that usually wouldn't be called merchandise at all. The mess even spills onto some parts of the floor, and it seems like it's dangerously close to taking over the entire room. Suddenly, you find yourself with less doubt that he really can supply anything. Rino navigates deftly through his stock, poking through piles here and there.
"What you want," he says to you while working, "Is the best rifle I've got, right?"
"Yeah."
"Good, good, then a normal '73 won't do... nothing but that one after all."
"That one?"
"You'll see, you'll see... Ah, here we go." He gently extricates a rifle from a stack of objects. "This, my friend, is your new gun. A bit newer than many of the models you see, it's a Winchester '76. Custom-chambered. This girl's good enough to take down a buffalo."
"Used?"
"Only slightly. This was the first."
"The first what?"
"Production number zero. This was the original, the model that the entire '76 series was based off of. The first, you could say."
Rino hands it to you, and you look over it extensively, checking all the parts. It is indeed in perfect working order.
"It's a good weapon." You comment.
"Any less and I'd be insulted. So, will you take it?"
"I will. Got any ammo for it?"
"Plenty."
"What's the damage, then?"
He scribbles a bit of arithmetic on a notepad and turns it to you. "This much should be reasonable."
"That much is reasonable?"
"You don't know what I went through to get that rifle."
"What did you go through?"
"You don't want to know, either." Rinnosuke looks uncharacteristically dangerous for a moment. But then the moment passes, and his face regresses back into an ingraciating smile. "It is fine, right?"
"It's fine." You check your money on hand. It's not a lot, and you thank yourself that you've already got a job and place to stay.
Money changes hands, and Rino stows it securely. "Will that be all?" He asks.
"Well, about that comb wedding band, and elephant..." You begin, jokingly.
He gives you a look.
"Whay, you said you could get everything, right?"
Rino shrugs, pulls out a pad and starts writing. "The elephant will take a couple weeks, but..."
"Oh, no, no, that was a joke," you say hurriedly. "You really were serious?"
Rino smooths his hair back. "I'm quite proud of my connections. I've no doubt I could get an elephant in edgewise on a shipment of Indian spices or some such."
"Right... and the ring?"
He pats your shoulder. "The ring I have, I'll show you when you'reready for it. Until then, I'll keep it on reserve for you and you alone. Is that fair?"
You nod.
"And finally, the comb..." Rinnosuke produces a fine white comb from his jacket. It looks like ivory, engraved and hand-painted. He puts it in your hand. "Is a bonus, as a symbol of our new friendship and mutually profitable business relationship." He bows.
After being seen from the store, you tuck the comb soundly away. Now that you've got a rifle and some ammo to go with it, as well as your revolver, your next course of action is...

[] Jailhouse
[] Reimu
[] Bar
[] Stables
[] Inn
[] Town's elder
>> No. 29486
[x] Bar
>> No. 29487
[x] Bar.

Fuck yes.
>> No. 29490
[x] |
>> No. 29491
[ø] Bar
-[ø] "so, Ran, what can you tell me about this 'Mima'?"
Another chance to sneak in this vote.
>> No. 29492
[x] Town's elder
We're hitting the bar too much.
>> No. 29493
[x] Town's elder
>> No. 29494
>>29492
not really, at least not to flirt.
>> No. 29505
[x] Inn

C'mon, let's go talk to Letty!
>> No. 29736
File 128802399322.jpg - (1.11MB , 1200x900 , 1160307dba3a46e3f23edc9196520086.jpg ) [iqdb]
29736
[x] Bar

Ran glances up as you step into the bar. It's gotten a bit more crowded as the day has moved on. She addresses you when you sit yourself on a stool.
"Hey, newcomer, back again?"
"I wanted to thank you for your tip. It turned out to be interesting, to say the least." You think back on your conversation with Mima.
Ran smiles. "I'm just glad I can be of some service."
A voice beside you speaks up, lilting and cheerful. "Did you at least charge him?" The origin is a rather dignified-looking woman with long, golden hair.
"I couldn't charge for idle chatter, miss." Ran's features immediately take on an aspect of exasperation."
"Ran, Ran, that's no good at all." The woman flips open a decorative fan. "A good barman charges for the information he gives husky wanderers."
"Why the masculine pronoun?" Ran asks flatly.
The new face simply waves the fan at her. "Details, details. So, you're the one that everyone's been talking about." She smiles at you. "I'm the owner of this establishment. Some call me Yukari. Everyone else also calls me Yukari." You give her a look of minor confusion at the statement. "I did hear what happened the other day. I came to apologize that we let that violent sheriff take advantage of you on our premises. The least we could do is reimburse you somehow."
"Well-"
"So we won't charge for your free information."
Damn.
Ran has decided to keep out of this and is busy attending to other customers.
"Here, here, don't be shy, boy." Yukari puts her fan in front of your eyes. "Maybe some alcohol would help you relax? Raaaan!" She waves her employee over. "Get my friend something to drink. And to eat, while you're at it." She cheerfully orders Ran around, smiling all the while. Moreover, you're her friend now? "And for me too, now that I think of it." She slides around on her stool to face you. "Such a dear girl," she remarks fondly. "Useful around the house, though."
"The house?" You question.
"Oh yes. We live together, you know. With a daughter, too."
"A daughter? Might I ask, exactly what is your relation to Ran?"
"Oh, we're lovers, of course."
There's a clatter as ran drops a skillet. "Miss Yukari, what are you telling him?!" She slams her hand down on the table, prompting the attention of everyone in the bar. Ran looks around sheepishly, and after a couple seconds everyone else turns back to their business. She continues in a hiss.
"You have a habit of just saying whatever you like, miss! It's a terrible thing!"
"Oh my, so we're not lovers?"
"We're not!"
"A pity..." Yukari scratches her cheek. "...Do you want to be?"
"Denied." Ran says flatly.
"And there you have it." Yukari sighs. "She doesn't know how to take a joke, but don't think too badly of her."
Ran puts a full mug before the both of you. "In the hopes that it'll give you something else to do with your mouth," she says.
"Oh dear, have I made her angry..?"
Your food comes soon after, and there's a bit of silence as you and Yukari set about your meals. It gives you some time to think.

[] Ask Yukari/Ran
[] Why are you living together?
[] What can you tell me about this Mima?
[] What can you tell me about the sheriff?
[] Who can tell me more about Mima?
[] Please marry me
>> No. 29737
[X] I'd joke and ask you to marry me, but something tells me you'd actually go through with it just for laughs.
[X] What can you tell me about Mima and her gang? I got a list of names from Reimu, but all I really know about them is that this 'Marisa Two-Hands' is probably a thief.
[X] Speaking of which, anything I should know about Reimu?
>> No. 29738
[x] Ask Ran
-[x] Why are you living together?
[x] Ask Yukari
-[x] What can you tell me about the sheriff?
-[x] What can you tell me about Mima?
-[x] I'd ask you to marry me, as a joke, but I'm kind of worried you might accept.
>> No. 29758
hooray!

[ø] Ask Ran
-[ø] Why are you living together?
[ø] Ask Yukari
-[ø] I'd ask you to marry me as a joke, but something tells me you'd actually go through with it just for laughs.
-[ø] What can you tell me about this Mima?
-if not
--[ø] Who can tell me more about Mima?
>> No. 29769
[X] Ask Ran
-[X] Why are you living together?
[X] Ask Yukari
-[X] I'd ask you to marry me as a joke, but something tells me you'd actually go through with it just for laughs.
-[X] What can you tell me about this Mima?
-if not
--[X] Who can tell me more about Mima?
>> No. 29790
File 128840415950.jpg - (1.92MB , 2000x1700 , e84923de39848938adea7a7b1dbcf504.jpg ) [iqdb]
29790
[X] Ask Ran
-[X] Why are you living together?
[X] Ask Yukari
-[X] I'd ask you to marry me as a joke, but something tells me you'd actually go through with it just for laughs.
-[X] What can you tell me about this Mima?
----------------------------------------------
"Hey, Ran?" Your curiosity gets the better of you, and you have to ask, "Why're you two living together?"
Ran considers for a moment before answering. "You've noticed that this town only has one other man in it. Well, we've made do. This town has a lot of orphans and widows. People like Yukari and I, well, we ended up gravitating to one another. We formed families of our own. Many of the families in this town aren't related by blood at all." She smiles. "I guess it's just that everyone wants a family."
You nod slowly. "Are the orphans and the lack of men related?"
Ran bites her lip. "A bit... you see, this town wasn't always full of women. Time was when it was just like your next town, with men an women in equal number. But then, over the period of a year or so, the number of men just dropped. Some left, some died, some disappeared. Before we knew it, we only had one eccentric left. Really, it's something we don't talk about much. Most people don't know what to make of it. It seems like one huge coincidence. You can call it the devil's work if you're superstitious. But either way about it, talking won't really bring them back. Us folks have just learned to accept the reality of the situation."
Yukari suddenly drops in on the conversation. "There are some other men left, though."
"Really?" You shift focus to Yukari.
"Oh, yes. Though, they were part of Mima's gang. Haven't seen them since the old girl was locked up."
"Mima again..."
"Heard her name a lot, have you? Well, that's nothing to be surprised about. She's something of a celebrity here. Well, more infamous than famous, of course."
"Can you tell me anything else about Mima?"
"My, curious? Oh, I guess as a member of the law enforcement you have to be, right? I don't mind telling you some things, I suppose. Where to begin, where to begin..." She stares off at a portrait of herself hanging on the wall. "What do you know so far?"
"Almost nothing. Just that she's a criminal."
"Hmm... well, I'd best start at the beginning. Mima used to live in this town."
"She did?" you ask, surprised.
"Yes, this very one. That was years ago, though. She was quite close to Shinki, as I recall."
"Shinki?"
"A lot of people call her the village elder nowadays. She was like a mother and a sister to Mima. But then the war came, and the girl went off to fight."
"The Civil War?"
Yukari nods. "Even after the war ended, she didn't come back for a while. Then, one day, she returned. After that, everything seemed normal for a while. But out of the blue, she vanished again, along with some other residents of the town. It was soon after that when she began to raid the caravans."
"Any clue as to why she changed?" You're keen on figuring out Mima as much as you can.
Yukari shrugs. "Her motives are her own. She calls herself a noble thief, but she's not the one getting her food shipments stolen. The danger, along with how remote this town is, means that few traders are willing to pass by here."
"I see. Yeah, I think I understand a bit more."
"Do you?" Yukari claps her hands together, smiling. "I'm glad I was able to help."
You smile back. "I'd ask you to marry me as thanks, but something tells me you'd actually go through with it."
Yukari tilts her head quizzically. "Oh no no no, jokes like that aren't allowed."
Ran turns a glance at the both of you. "Be careful, she may actually accept."
"Oh Ran, do you really think I'm that kind of girl? No need to be so jealous, I'm not going to leave you."
"It's not like that!"
"Oh, then you're worried about me stealing him away?"
"Huh? Wha- no! Geez, Yukari!" She turns about in a huff.
Yukari giggles softly while watching her back.

[ ] Ask more
[ ] Thank you for your time.
-[ ] Leave for...
>> No. 29791
[x] Ask about the general geography of the area, plus if there are any people of note not living in the town proper. There's got to be farms and homesteads, right?
>> No. 29799
[x]Thank you for your time
-[x]Leave for wherever Shinki is
>like a mother and a sister to Mima
Our best bet for getting information about Mima, than. Maybe we can work on finding out why all the males mysteriously left, also. It sounds like a full blown incident.
>> No. 29803
[x] Thank you for your time.
-[x] Try to get to know some of the other lovely ladies in the bar, under the guise of being the deputy of course as opposed to flirting with them.
>> No. 29813
[X] Ask about the general geography of the area, plus if there are any people of note not living in the town proper. There's got to be farms and homesteads, right?
[x] Thank you for your time.
-[x] Try to get to know some of the other lovely ladies in the bar. Under the guise of being the deputy of course, as opposed to flirting with them.
>> No. 30197
Please excuse my sudden death. At the moment, I've found myself in the middle of a translation project. I may continue writing after it finishes up, which should be soon in any case.
>> No. 31572
File 129686156925.jpg - (346.88KB , 1397x1141 , c1fdb36d9449b744904da7c9b21cf58d.jpg ) [iqdb]
31572
[X] Ask about the general geography of the area, plus if there are any people of note not

living in the town proper. There's got to be farms and homesteads, right?
[x] Thank you for your time.


"So, before I head off-" you begin, but Yukari cuts in.
"Awww, leaving so soon? That's a shame. Ran will get lonely, you know."
"I will not! Yukari, stop saying those things!" Ran seems to have heard her.
"What things?~"
"You know perfectly well what!"
"I'm just trying to help you along~"
"I don't need any help!" She catches your eye. "Not like that, though, I mean..." She struggles

with her words, pauses, thinks, then gives up. "Anyhow, please don't listen to what comes out of

her mouth. She thinks nothing of lying like that."
"Such harsh words. And to think, we used to be madly in love."
"We were never like that!" Yukari ducks a blow from Ran.
"No need to get violent~"
"It's your fault!"
"I suppose you overcooking those steaks is my fault too?"
"Huh? Wha- yes!" Ran realizes that there's still food on the grill and dashes over, taking it off

the heat. "Yukari!"
"What? Are you going to yell at me for helping now?"
Ran just turns her back and fumes. In the silence that follows, you try again. "Before I head

off, I have something to ask."
"Ohh, right, you tried saying something. Sorry for interrupting you with our little comedy act."

Yukari smiles. "What is it? I'll answer as long as it's not anything too personal."
"I wanted to know what you could tell me about the area. For starters, is there anyone who lives

nearby, but not in the town?"
"Hmm. Sure, I can tell you what I know. To answer your question, yes. There's two people who

don't really live in town. Alice and Yuka are both more of the loner-types. Alice's house is east

of town. You might see her at the general store every so often. Even people like her need to eat,

though she avoids this crowded bar like the plague. If you'd like something to give a special

girl, you can probably buy a doll from her." Yukari nudges you with the words "special girl."
"A doll?"
"Oh yes. That's what she does, though it's less her job than her obsession. Most people don't go

near the place, so it can't really be called a business. And Yuka. She mainly keeps to herself

and her flowers. Unlike Alice, though, she doesn't have a bad personality. If you visit her she'd

probably greet you with a smile and a good morning. That is, unless you mess up her flower

garden. It's quite beautiful, and she loves it like her child. And even though she's usually

kind, you don't want to get her angry. Just a word of advice." She nods sagely.
"And what about the town itself?"
"Ah, well, we call this a town, but that's a bit of an overstatement. We don't even have a round

hundred people living here. Parched grass and cracked earth as far as the eye can see, so it

doesn't really draw people. If it weren't for the fact that this is a convenient stop for some

merchants between East and West, we probably wouldn't even be able to survive out here." She

sighs. "But, our problems aren't yours, of course. Is that everything?"
"Yes. Thank you for your time." You stand. "But. I'm your deputy sheriff now. Of course your

problems are also mine."
Yukari laughs. "Of course, of course. You're quite the dependable one."
You look around at the crowd in the bar. There's still a lot of people, their colored hair

forming a sea of mixed hues of every sort. You recognize a girl nearby as one who had been in the

bar yesterday, the one with short black hair. She's speaking animatedly to a girl in a green

cap. Other samplings from the crowd include lavender and green.

[] Try to get to know some of the other lovely ladies in the bar, under the guise of being the
deputy as opposed to flirting with them.
-[] Black
-[] Lavender
-[] Green
-[]
[] Try to get to know some of the other lovely ladies in the bar, under the guise of flirting with them.
[] Leave.
-[] For ______.
>> No. 31573
Whoops, notepad fucked the formatting. I can't seem to delete it, so please pardon the mess.
>> No. 31580
[x]Leave
-[x]Wherever Shinki is.

I still want to get to the bottom of the Mima incident.
>> No. 31595
[x] Try to get to know some of the other lovely ladies in the bar, under the guise of flirting with them.
>> No. 31894
[x] Try to get to know some of the other lovely ladies in the bar, under the guise of flirting with them.
-[x] Lavender
>> No. 32009
[x] Try to get to know some of the other lovely ladies in the bar, under the guise of flirting with them.
-[x] Lavender

...Yuyuko or Reisen?

>Notepad fucked the formatting
And that's why we recommend Notepad++.