[Return]
Archived Thread

File 124691936998.jpg - (386.16KB , 1014x700 , 嫉妬萌え~Rock On Mizhuhashi!.jpg ) [iqdb]
21142 No. 21142
Thanks for reading and spotting up till now.
--------------
[X]Blend into the props. Crowded.

[X]Stay.

You flip open the leather casing and take a peek inside, as per Yukari’s request. The gap is still there, thankfully- all Yukari’s talk of turbulence and instability of the boundary sometimes made you feel like you were holding a live grenade. Not a particular nice feeling, seeing that your only protection, should it decide that Yukari’s assurances of safety were not valid and explode, was the fabric of your pants and that handsome leather case you kept the thing in.

It appears stable- serene even; especially when compared to Yukari’s twisting undulating gaps, cut into some strange place where normal rules didn’t really apply as much. You’ll need a place to open it though. The middle of the crowd is not an option- aside from the mass panic, there was a good chance that the infinitely thin edge of the thing would lay someone open. Not everyone can sit on gaps the way your sister figure can, after all.

Though, with Yukari supplying the power needed to widen the thing, one major concern is eliminated. Still, you will need a place where you can widen the area of the gap relatively unnoticed. Ordinarily, common sense would dictate that you leave the area altogether- the place is packed to the brim with people, but, on hindsight…never mind it.

Either way, later you rationalize that it was that you didn’t want to stray too far from Mari and Ren. Go together, come back together after all. But back to the task at hand. You had quite a number of options, though, upon further inspection, all of them were fairly useless.

The toilets for one were full of “preoccupied” people, who wouldn’t take kindly to being interrupted for one, and as for the foliage, someone had put it to use as a latrine, which did not stop people from…well, the less said the better.

“How about there?” Yukari prods helpfully, pointing towards the neon props, a little off next to the Eiffel tower model. Large neon rectangles with words…oh. Hiding in plain sight huh.

Asides from the fact that its up right next to the stage and in full view of anyone who feels inclined to look.

Right…here you go then.

You help Yukari up without much fuss, but as you turn to try to get as much cover between you and the audience as possible, a mighty cheer echoes out, making the rather rickety looking scaffolding holding the props up shudder for a moment. You look, inclining your head to the left, hardly daring to breath. Though, you hardly need to look. The crowd cheering like this would obviously mean-

‘Everyone!” Parsee’s voice screams out, quite deafening you. It turns out you were parked right next to an amplifier. “Sorry for making everyone wait!” her yell blasts yet again. You very nearly let go of your handhold to clutch at your ears.

By the looks of it though, she has the crowd under her thumb- all of them, cheering like people possessed as your sister jumps onto the stage with a flourish.

“Everyone~!” she sings with obvious relish.

“Parsee!” the crowd screams in reply. Good Gracious….

“Parsee! Parsee! Parsee!” Chanting now.

You watch in a kind of morbid fascination.

“Alright everyone!” your sister cries, giving herself a little twirl. She’s set up in some strange clothes, which on a first glance looks like an oversized gi, dark red and blue with white embroidery on the edges, complete with arm warmers and striped red sports bottoms. Odd, you supposed, though, on the upside, at the very least it wasn’t as revealing as the posters.

But, back to business.

You pull out your gap as Yukari watches Parsee in apt fascination and with a few futile looks over your shoulders to make sure no one really noticed; you place the silver rectangle in an appropriate manner, before motioning Yukari over.

“Hmmm, she’s good isn’t she?” Yukari comments, with a last look over to the stage where your sister concludes the apex of her song with a great leap into the air amidst ecstatic cheering.

“Huh? I suppose.” You answer, not really know how to answer. Idols, popularity and all that- you’ve never really been very much into it. “Come on, let’s get this over with.” Yukari gladly obliges, and soon, the window of silver I quite large enough for her to pass through without much effort.

“Is something really dangerous going on?” you ask finally, watching with some concern as Yukari immerses herself in the vertical sheet of silver. It’s fairly unnatural actually, now that you think of it, but you’ve been doing this sort of thing for years, haven’t you?

“Doesn’t seem like much, but Ran tells me that there are geysers coming up where they shouldn’t be coming up…shouldn’t be much but I’d better do my job every once in a while huh?”” she finishes with a smile.

“Yes, yes you’d better,” you sigh, watching Yukari’s retreating back and begin folding the gap back to its portable size. Well, everything seems to have gone smoothly, more than you would have hope for in fact. You decide you’d better look for Mari and Ren, your main concern, trying to slip off the scaffold without attracting too much attention. At least till you shift your weight and inadvertently the gap.

A piece of scaffolding clatters to your feet, a steel bar, sliced cleanly in two… and the whole thing rumbles ominously.

You would curse your carelessness, but there’s no time, is there?

[] Leap into the crowd.
[] Leap onto the stage.
[] Leap into the gap.
[] Optionally, you can scream “It’s falling”, in addition to the above as well.
[] Or something else your mind can dredge up. Please do specify.
----------------
Please do feel free to write in sensibly.
Got into Pratchett lately. Hooked.

>> No. 21145
[x] Fold up the gap and put it away before you fall to your probably death.

I'm less worried about the fall than exposing Gensokyo to the public.
>> No. 21146
>>21145

Remember that the gap is powerless at the moment - it requires magic, evidently, for people to actually use it for anything. Otherwise it's probably just a shining, infinitely flat surface.

Though it remains an important object, without a doubt.
>> No. 21147
[+] Go down with the ship
[+] "It's falli--!"
>> No. 21148
[x] Fold up the gap and put it away before you fall to your probable death.

Important things come first.
>> No. 21150
[B] Leap into the gap.
>> No. 21151
[X]Leap into the gap.
>> No. 21153
[X] Leap onto the stage.
- [X] Keep an eye out and make sure that Parsee doesn't get hurt in the collapse.
[X] "It's falling!"

We already began folding up the gap, meaning that it's probably not at all the right size for a quick escape - that plus the fact that it has infinitely thin edges makes it a very dangerous, potentially lethal thing to chance at the moment, even moreso than jumping. Jumping into the crowd or onto the stage are both, surprisingly, safer alternatives - I'm only choosing to leap onto the stage for the chance to whisk Parsee away from the danger. She may be a bitch, but she's still our little sister, and I'd rather that her props didn't come crashing down on top of her.

Damn, I also just realized another problem with leaping into the gap that I thought was worth some discussion. If we vanish after causing a huge, dangerous accident at the show, Ren and Mary are going to be worried sick. There's no telling where Yukari has gotten off to after getting back to Gensokyo, and the gap doesn't function well in this area thanks to the border wonkiness. If we get stuck and end up trapped for a while, Ren and Mary are likely to get pretty fucking worried about us for a potentially quite long amount of time.

We'll have to do something about the gap later - swing by after this little event is over and climb up to snatch it.

On another note, I'm wondering how the hell Parsee is going to wind up underground. Or is she just another doppelganger?
>> No. 21154
[X] "It's falling!"
[X] Leap onto the stage.

Parsee saving games!
>> No. 21155
>>21142
That's a damn fine picture you've drawn, sir.

>Got into Pratchett lately. Hooked.
Oh yes. You will love it.
Which book? Hope you didn't start too late in a given series-set.

>>21153
Don't you remember? She was dreaming Bridge Guard dreams. "You can't pass~" and stuff.
>> No. 21165
[X] Leap onto the stage.
- [X] "It's falling!" Try to get Parsee's attention. Point up.
- [X] If necessary, dive tackle Parsee off the stage.

It is kind of our fault, and considering how loud the speakers are and that there's a few thousand (already) screaming people in front of her, she's unlikely to realize what's going on until it's too late.
>> No. 21166
[X]"It's falling!"
[X]Leap into the gap.

I want to get back to Gensokyo ASAP.
>> No. 21168
>>21142
My, you have been improving.
[x]"It's falling!"
[x]Leap into the gap.
>> No. 21171
>>21170

We can close it on the other side, genius.
>> No. 21174
>>21171

Problem is that we can fold up the gap on the Gensokyo end, and it will fold up the gap in the Outside as well, but then we're still left with an infinitely sharp, just small object floating about Outside. Now it's just harder to see, and therefore harder to avoid - no one will feel it if it does cut them, making it even more absurdly dangerous than before.

And heavens help us if anyone does find the damn thing - now we have a whole new headache on our hands.

Worse still, we have no idea whether or not the gap on one end will move if the gap on the other end does. Given the size of Gensokyo compared to the Outside, there's reason to believe that the gaps aren't spatially coordinated, but there's problems either way. If they aren't coordinated, then that gap is going to stay right where it is on the Outside, waiting for people to stumble across it. If they are coordinated, then if we try to take the gap on the Gensokyo side with us wherever we go, it will drag the other end around on the Outside. I shouldn't have to tell you why a moving, almost invisible, infinitely thin, and therefore infinitely sharp object is heinously dangerous. We could damn well end up flaying people alive.

Long story short - leaping into the gap raises a whole fucking host of safety issues.
>> No. 21175
>>21174
>Problem is that we can fold up the gap on the Gensokyo end, and it will fold up the gap in the Outside as well, but then we're still left with an infinitely sharp, just small object floating about Outside. Now it's just harder to see, and therefore harder to avoid - no one will feel it if it does cut them, making it even more absurdly dangerous than before.

So some people will get cut here and there, so what?
>And heavens help us if anyone does find the damn thing - now we have a whole new headache on our hands.

Ok, let's assume someone finds it. So what? If the person touches it and get cut, he will probably stay the fuck away from it. If the person, by some unkown reason decides to enter it, or enter it by accident, the person will probably either become food for youkai or go to the village and live the rest of his life there. If the person gets back to the Outside and opens his mouth, no one believe in him and call him crazy. If people do believe in him, isn't that supposed to be a good thing for the youkai as a whole?
>Worse still, we have no idea whether or not the gap on one end will move if the gap on the other end does

Gaps don't move by themselves. Yukari's gaps only because Yukari makes them move. A gap is a portal fixed in a place, connecting one point to the other; the space around it is not important and does not affect it.
>We could damn well end up flaying people alive.

So some people will get cut here and there, so what?
>> No. 21176
>>21175
>So what?

Hm, I seem to use this expression too much. h, but so what?
>> No. 21177
>>21175
>So some people will get cut here and there, so what?

The gap we're discussing is capable of slicing through solid metal constructs without resistance, and is sharp enough not to feel on first contact. We're not talking about people risking minor cuts - the damn thing could easily take off a limb or slice a fatal wound into someone before they even realize what's happened. You may not care about risking peoples' lives, but I'm pretty damn sure that Landlord would given his established character. Not to mention that I'm sure Yukari would berate him for this sort of thing.

>Ok, let's assume someone finds it. So what? If the person touches it and get cut, he will probably stay the fuck away from it. If the person, by some unkown reason decides to enter it, or enter it by accident, the person will probably either become food for youkai or go to the village and live the rest of his life there. If the person gets back to the Outside and opens his mouth, no one believe in him and call him crazy. If people do believe in him, isn't that supposed to be a good thing for the youkai as a whole?

You're ignoring the real problem. The gap doesn't work here anyway without a jumpstart, so no one is going to use it as a portal. The problem is that it's a compact object that can cut through fucking anything; if you can't see why it's dangerous to just leave something like that in the hands of anyone who finds it, then you're stupid. Not to mention that I highly doubt Yukari is going to be pleased by anyone finding it.

>Gaps don't move by themselves. Yukari's gaps only because Yukari makes them move. A gap is a portal fixed in a place, connecting one point to the other; the space around it is not important and does not affect it.

Wonderful. That just leaves us with the problem of a lethal weapon laying around for anyone to find.

>So some people will get cut here and there, so what?

Refer to point one.
>> No. 21179
>>21176
Well, it only makes you look like an obnoxious prick.
>> No. 21180
>>21179

So what?
>> No. 21182
>>21165
Heroic onii-sama; heroic, unrelated-by-blood onii-sama. We just might get some respect from her after this.

[x] Leap onto the stage.
- [x] "It's falling!" Try to get Parsee's attention. Point up.
- [x] If necessary, dive tackle Parsee off the stage.
>> No. 21186
>>21180
hurrrrr

>>21182
Are you kidding? She'll just be pissed because she thinks you were trying to steal the spotlight from her.
>> No. 21191
>>21186

unless we make sure it would obviously have been a fatal situation otherwise and the fans see. the fans will cheer us and Parsee wouldn't want to disappoint her fans now would she?
>> No. 21193
>>21191
That would piss her off even more.
>> No. 21200
>>21193
meh
>> No. 21203
>>21193
>That would piss her off even more.

You do don't get it, do you?

Jealousy moe, I mean.
>> No. 21215
[x]Leap into the gap.
>> No. 21216
[X]Leap into the gap.

Yeah, kind of a dick option, but in all honesty I wouldn't want to have to come up with an explaination as to why a stable structure suddenly got cut down and what I was doing there at the time.
>> No. 21218
>>21216

So you'd rather hurl yourself into a gap of questionable functionality that's already been folded to a size smaller than standard transport size, and has edges capable of slicing clean through pretty much everything, which we could easily catch ourselves on thanks to the reduced size of the portal?

Even disregarding the fact that the gap poses much greater problems for our personal safety than a jump at this point, why would you worry about coming up with an explanation? The gap that sliced apart the prop is pretty damn unique on the Outside. Someone could try to blame us, sure, but how are they going to make it stick? After all, what would an average college student own that happens to be capable of slicing apart solid metal on pretty much a molecular level without leaving behind any chippings or dust, or debris of any kind? As far as the outside world is concerned, it should be impossible for us to cause this.

The only excuse we need is that we wanted to get closer to the show, which is plausible since, you know, it's our sister that was performing.
>> No. 21219
>>21218

You're saying that there is a zero percent chance that anyone will discover the gap and its ability to slice clean through anything, by dumb luck or otherwise, later when the area is investigated for abnormal structural faliure and that no one would be able to put two and two together to place the Landlord on a suspect list at the very least?

Yes, the gap option is dicey, but so is being suspected of being able to do things normal humans can't.

Perhaps that's just paranoia though, and my concerns might be baseless. Who knows?
>> No. 21220
>>21219

No, I'm saying no one would have any reason to connect us to it. Sure, we were present at the scene, but even if someone finds the thing they would probably assume we just accidentally jostled it if we acted confused when we were told about it or shown it. After all, which is more likely, random college kid accidentally brushes with something he doesn't understand and causes an accident unknowingly, or seemingly completely average student is in possession of an object that baffles modern science? Most people would assume the former.

Plus, at least if we stay on this side, we can come back and snatch the thing more quickly than we would be able to otherwise. If you're worried explaining this now, what happens if the gap is bagged as evidence, or discovered by some passerby, and passes through hands until it reaches the government or something? Jumping through the gap just gives other people more opportunity to find the gap.
>> No. 21223
>Yes, the gap option is dicey, but so is being suspected of being able to do things normal humans can't.

It's hard to be suspected of that, though. You'd need a Javert here to suspect that.
>> No. 21225
>Jumping through the gap just gives other people more opportunity to find the gap.

Not if the gap is closed as soon as we make our escape.
>> No. 21226
>>21225

Thing is, we can't close it. We can fold it down, but that won't do anything but make it smaller. It'll still be there, where anybody could find it.
>> No. 21230
>>21223

Or a Parsee.
>> No. 21236
>>21230

Is it sad I actually want her to find it?
>> No. 21239
>>21236

Not really.

I want to see how Parsee's canonical appearance pans out here: A transformation from pop idol to bridge troll after getting thrown alone into the Gensokyo underground? Or is this some kind of a long-term adaptation of youkai to the outside, a logical extension of her power to manipulate jealousy?

Honestly, after the Celestial case, the protagonist needs a more compelling nemesis. Being the victim of Yukari's hijinx only takes him so far, and he's been playing Ren and Mary pretty easily. Parsee is exactly the kind of antagonist who could blur distinctions between his Gensokyo affairs and his Outside affairs, and would be otherwise capable of lighting a real fire under his ass.
>> No. 21261
A little busy, but it s clearing up.
-------------
[X]Leap into the gap.

In retrospect that was quite a bit of not thinking you were doing back then, but as always you were not really to know till later.

Still it was quite a feasible means of escaping, though admittedly, it was more than a little cowardly- but perhaps with the fact that you were more than a little panicked and thinking less than perfectly at the moment, you might be forgiven for this trespass. Even now you could see it- a little scene with you standing before Yamaxandu herself, a stern expression on her delicate features.

“Well?” she asks.

And that’s about it, you’ve nothing much to say anyway. Either way, this hadn’t in fact, actually happened- merely a strange hazy recollection from the strange cocktail of stress induced chemicals flooding your systems, and a subsequent association of impending danger with the hazy memories of a Yama. A perfectly natural representation of dying in general.

The fact that you had met one of them had, naturally helped the thinking along.

But, as previously said, and upon reflection, the above scene, no matter how well imagined, did not quite actually happen.

More accurately, while that possible eventually was running through your mind, you had, less than courageously, you would admit later, attempted a sort of desperate headlong dive into the mirror’s surface of the gap. You had folded it of course, but not to its credit card size, the resulting gap, about the size of a medium range flat screen television- though no television would ever be as thin as this, no matter how good Sony’s technology got.

And all you got for your trouble was a bleedy nose, and perhaps, maybe a concussion, having impacted face first on the unyielding nothingness.

Well. No power no gap, or so you would say, much later.

But back to that very moment, you were scrunched up on the damp metal scaffold, though soon enough you had realized that the screams and yells were encores, and not, as you had expected screams of fear terror and pain- and there was the fairly obvious fact that there wasn’t any pieces of scaffolding or stray props raining down on yourself.

You lift your head tentatively.

Now that’s, odd… you’ve could have sworn that the whole thing was going to fall over…

And by all rights- the damn thing is supposed to- not that you wanted it to or anything. Just commenting on how unnatural for a great load of steel to fall for a few centimeters, then “reset”. And that’s just what the whole thing was doing. Resetting. The whole structure would fall good three or so centimeters before reverting back to where it had stood on empty air a few moments earlier.

“What the-?”

“Hi! Danna!” An expressive voice calls out, addressing you in a style a few decades outdated.

“What? who? You mutter, wiping the blood from your nose.

Not really know you’d expected death to knock, but…

‘Hey…you’re…that Yama’s Shinigami aren’t you?” You haven’t really met her before, but you had a few hazy memories and a nagging suspicion. Besides, Yukari had been most talkative in this sense- sometimes, perhaps more so than was good for her.

Red hair, clothed somewhat oddly, and with a coin bound to her sash. And the…er…her assets…, were not very discreetly flaunted. The scythe was a dead giveaway though.

“Am I dead?” you ask. Just to make sure you were in fact, alive of course.

“Ah…not really danna…”

“No Danna.” You state firmly.

“Ah….sure…I’m Komachi yo?”

“Pleasures all mine.” You reply brusquely.

“Ah?” she replies, cocking her ear in your direction. You repeat yourself, remembering to yell a little louder over the speakers.

“I ah…saved your life you know…” she mumbles half heartedly, pointing to the scaffold. “Manipulation of distance, you know?”

“Ah?” you answer. Two things were clear. Shinigami obviously were less restricted in the human realm. And she was obviously quite nervous.

“Er…help?” Komachi asks feebly.

“Eh what?” you turn for a moment, Parsee’s dazzling re-entry catching your eye for a moment. Well…at least not one got hurt yet.

Well…er…hmm…” she stumbles. ‘Well…I kind of made a little mistake…duty on the sanzu expressway.” (Apparently, the sanzu took it appearance from its surroundings. In tranquil Gensokyo, a river. In the metropolises of Japan, an expressway.) “…eh…boss isn’t going to be too happy…might get charged and…” she trisl off lamely.

“Ah shut up! You’re the one who ran me over!” A petulant voice rings out- somewhat ethereally. Chiko steps out- except that’s she’s rather lacking color. And a bit transparent.

Oh.

[] Disaster averted. Get Mary and Ren and leave. Komachi and Chiko can follow discreetly.
[] Get to a less open area. A celestial spirit and a shinigami are bound to attract attention.
[] Good grief. Can’t help you there.

Please do feel free to write in sensibly. Bonus marks for roping Parsee into this.
-----------------
It's taking quite a bit longer to write, now, though I'll still try, when my workload permits.
No picture this time though- I'm short on practice already as it is....
>> No. 21263
[] Get to a less open area. A celestial spirit and a shinigami are bound to attract attention.
>> No. 21264
'Leap into gap''s result? Meet Komachi (who is almost always awesome by default), and have the momentary false hope of thinking Tenshi might be out of our hair for good.
Who cares if it was stupid when we got this outcome?

[X]Get to a less open area. A celestial spirit and shinigami are bound to attract attention.
>> No. 21265
[X]Get to a less open area. A celestial spirit and shinigami are bound to attract attention.
>> No. 21266
[+] "How long is that"--motion to scaffolding--"going to hold up?"
[+] Disaster averted. Get Mary and Ren and leave. Komachi and Chiko can follow discreetly.
>> No. 21273
[B]Get to a less open area. A celestial spirit and shinigami are bound to attract attention.
>> No. 21297
You know what? I really don't want to miss out on the rest of this show, or on interaction with our companions. I'm changing my vote.

[X] "I don't mind helping you out on this; you do deserve a bit of a reprimand for it, but I don't know the details well enough to say for certain that Chiko deserves death just yet. You'll have to tell me the whole story."
[X] "That said, as urgent as this seems to be, I think it can wait a while. That's my sister out there, and as estranged as we might be... she's still my sister. I haven't given her much of the chance she deserves, so I owe it to her to see this at least."
[X] Arrange to meet with Komachi and Chiko somewhere after the show is over.

I'd really rather not have to dive right back into Gensokyo when we just finished voting not to go there immediately. It seems like the author has given us three or four chances to go back, under increasing pressure, and it's a little irritating; we already stated the first time that we would rather not go, so this just feels like being told that we're not voting the way the author would like us to.

That aside, I think Chiko could stand to learn some patience, and understand that not everyone will drop everything for her. Likewise, Komachi should be sweating a little - if she killed someone that she wasn't meant to, she fucked up bad, and she ought to realize that. If worst comes to worst, and Shiki catches her, she'll probably right things; this choice seems more about doing Komachi a personal favor than preventing a disaster.
>> No. 21299
Will we be getting updates to native faith some day we wonder we wonder.
>> No. 21302
>[] Disaster averted.

Hardly.

>Just commenting on how unnatural for a great load of steel to fall for a few centimeters, then “reset”. And that’s just what the whole thing was doing. Resetting. The whole structure would fall good three or so centimeters before reverting back to where it had stood on empty air a few moments earlier.

This duct tape job ain't gonna fly when Komachi stops concentrating on it--it'll fall. Now, excuse me if I don't have faith in Komachi's attentiveness, but she did just run somebody the fuck over.

>[] Get to a less open area. A celestial spirit and a shinigami are bound to attract attention.

What will attract attention is the rafters falling and crushing everyone on the stage because Komachi isn't concentrating on holding them up any more. She's already shown she's less than remorseful about the 'incidental' deaths she causes in the course of her work.

How would you like that anecdote to share with your family at Thanksgiving dinner? Not only did you cause your sister's death, but personally chauffeured her spirit, along with the death goddess who had custody of her, and some other spirit who hates your guts, directly to her final destination.

To add insult to injury Parsee will be sent to hell (or what was hell), Komachi will receive a slap on the wrist, while Chiko, a soul even more wretched and mean spirited than Parsee, is on the next elevator to heaven.
>> No. 21305
>To add insult to injury Parsee will be sent to hell (or what was hell)

But she needs to go to Hell. How is she supposed to go to Gensokyo otherwise?

>How would you like that anecdote to share with your family at Thanksgiving dinner? Not only did you cause your sister's death, but personally chauffeured her spirit, along with the death goddess who had custody of her, and some other spirit who hates your guts, directly to her final destination.

"What a wonderful son! Took care of his sister even after her death"
>> No. 21309
>>21305

1. We don't know she's never been to Gensokyo. She could have been hiding it all this time, just like we have.
2. We certainly don't need two Chikos waiting to jump us every time we set our foot through the Border.
3. Parsee's already so far out of canonicity that making assumptions on where she's 'supposed' to be is rather silly. Besides even then, Parsee is supposed to set herself up as a bridge troll in the outskirts of the underground city, and she's supposed to develop her jealousy as a result of this position. Yet, Parsee here is already the Green Eyed Monster personified.
4. leaving your sister to die, bitch or no, is an evil act, and you'll certainly be in for it when the yama finds out the role you and her servant played in her death.
>> No. 21311
>>21153
>>21239
>>21309
So, is everyone going to keep ignoring the fact that Parsee dreams of being in (and/or has already been in) Gensokyo, or what?
>> No. 21313
>>21309
Oops, just now saw point 1.

Nevertheless, see >>20867 .
>> No. 21315
Eesh, this whole conversation's getting out of hand don't you think?

>>21309

I agree with points one and three, but how is it possible for there to be two Chikos?
And on top of that, Komachi knows she just screwed up big time. If that set's going to collapse, odds are she might've made it so it falls the other way. I doubt she's going to put herself in deeper shit on purpose.

As for Chiko's death, odds are she tried to cross the Sanzu highway without help rather than live out her punishment lifetime, with the possiblity of having to ask for help from the Landlord from time to time. Who, might I remind you, she detests quite strongly.

Also, that set would not have collapsed at all had we chosen to send Yukari home somewhere other than near the props. I think that this scenario is something the author intended to have happen, and it would be a similar scenario regardless of what we pick.
>> No. 21319
>>21315
>I agree with points one and three, but how is it possible for there to be two Chikos?

No, not literally two Chikos. I meant we don't need two people in Gensokyo screaming for our blood.

>And on top of that, Komachi knows she just screwed up big time. If that set's going to collapse, odds are she might've made it so it falls the other way. I doubt she's going to put herself in deeper shit on purpose.

Actually, no. Komachi doesn't save lives--that's not her job. And moreover she could get in trouble for it, being this is the Outside. We cut down the rafters, meaning that all the negative karma there is on us. Komachi's interaction in Outsider affairs here is already pressing the boundary of her jurisdictional limits. She didn't save us because she's fucking Superman; she saved us because she needs our help to do her job.

>Also, that set would not have collapsed at all had we chosen to send Yukari home somewhere other than near the props. I think that this scenario is something the author intended to have happen, and it would be a similar scenario regardless of what we pick.

Similar probably, small differences like incidental deaths of family members notwithstanding. If we had done the right thing and pushed Parsee out of the way, Komachi wouldn't have held the rafters up. If we had done the wrong thing and escaped on our own, she also wouldn't have bothered. The exception being certain persons dying. In any case, I agree that we would soon be approached by Komachi regarding Chiko.
>> No. 21323
>>21319
Okay, I get it now. Two people who want the Landlord's head on a pike.
-

It's true she's not supposed to save lives, but Komachi isn't supposed to cause random deaths either as she's the ferrywoman, not the reaper who hunts down souls. And even then only when it's their time, so random killing, direct or no, is just as bad for her as it would be for anyone else.

Also, she's already directly interfered in the rafter incident just now, so even if the Landlord caused it, if Komachi's correction was really that half-assed and it failed the moment she stopped thinking about it, she'd be taking some of the blame too.
She knows she's in trouble for killing Chiko, even by accident.

I think letting those rafters fall and kill whoever's in the way after 'fixing' them would make it worse and as such would not be in her best interest.
-

For your final point, I think Komachi would've stepped in regardless of what the Landlord did, simply because the rafters were going to fail anyways and she wants the Landlord's unpancaked help.

The gap option was a faliure I admit, but would pushing Parsee out of the way make a difference?
How high up is the Landlord exactly, what angle and speed whould he have had to jump to knock her out of the way instead of flattening her and dooming them both (without injuring either of them and making it impossible to esccape), and could he even get her out of the way fast enough, since the Landlord would have had to push off the rafters in some fashion and cause it to fall (if not sooner) when he did?
And how much of the stage would the rafters had covered if they were allowed to fall?
And could the Landlord even judge the nessicary jump in his panicked state?

You say Komachi's no Superman, but the Landlord isn't either, nor is he Indiana Jones, or any other fictitious character who saves people or just narrowly avoids death. Odds are he would have failed regardless, and the only difference is karma.

You're saying we sealed Parsee's fate the moment we tried to use the inactive gap, I say we sealed her fate (and ours) the moment we decided to use the rafters.
>> No. 21325
Can we get back on track and have some discussion about current circumstances?

For instance, how would a shinigami and celestial spirit attract any attention? One would assume that shinigami are all over the place given the number of deaths occurring at any given time, and Chiko is basically a ghost at this point. People don't really have a track record of being able to see either shinigami or ghosts.

Not to mention that hiding in plain sight is still probably the most sensible option, even if people can see them.
>> No. 21329
>It's true she's not supposed to save lives, but Komachi isn't supposed to cause random deaths either as she's the ferrywoman, not the reaper who hunts down souls. And even then only when it's their time, so random killing, direct or no, is just as bad for her as it would be for anyone else.

The only 'random' killing here is that of Chiko. Everything else is result of cause-and-effect, nature, and the actions of mortals. From her point of view, the protagonist, as well as Parsee, is meant to die here dictated by their karma, the consequence of action in this life or one prior.

>Also, she's already directly interfered in the rafter incident just now, so even if the Landlord caused it, if Komachi's correction was really that half-assed and it failed the moment she stopped thinking about it

No, you still don't get it. She's not 'correcting' anything. It's just the opposite: She's interfering. That is something she isn't supposed to do, since death and suffering in the Outside is the result of the soul's previously acquired karma. That's how the cycle of reincarnation works. If she saved lives who would have otherwise died, she is interfering with the natural order of the heavens, an egregious act for an officer of the celestial court.

With the Landlord however, she has an excuse, because she needs him alive in order to do her job expediently and prevent a further miscarrying justice to Chiko. Think of her as requisitioning him like a police officer would requisition someone's car.

>she'd be taking some of the blame too.
She knows she's in trouble for killing Chiko, even by accident.

Yes, which is why she risking further trouble by interfering with the Landlord so that she can expedite Chiko's processing.

>I think letting those rafters fall and kill whoever's in the way after 'fixing' them would make it worse and as such would not be in her best interest.

No, because then the people who have died, would have died, for the same reasons and under the same circumstances they would have before she interfered. Why else would she leave them in such a precarious state?

>For your final point, I think Komachi would've stepped in regardless of what the Landlord did, simply because the rafters were going to fail anyways and she wants the Landlord's unpancaked help.

If he got out of the way instead of dicking around with the portal this would have obviated the need for her to save him. She still would have asked for his help afterward. In fact it would have been better to let them fall from her perspective, as it would mean less interference in mortal affairs.

>The gap option was a faliure I admit, but would pushing Parsee out of the way make a difference?
>How high up is the Landlord exactly, what angle and speed whould he have had to jump to knock her out of the way instead of flattening her and dooming them both (without injuring either of them and making it impossible to esccape), and could he even get her out of the way fast enough, since the Landlord would have had to push off the rafters in some fashion and cause it to fall (if not sooner) when he did?

I'm not going to address all this handwringing. Suffice to say, I have faith that the writefag did not provide six choices (including a rather earnest suggestion for a write-in) that would have had led to the exact same results.

>You say Komachi's no Superman, but the Landlord isn't either, nor is he Indiana Jones, or any other fictitious character who saves people or just narrowly avoids death.

Those stories of totally normal people pushing their kids out of the way of an oncoming car or bus? They happen every day, if you ever look at a newspaper. People find them amazing, because they imagine they themselves would be paralyzed with fear at the time. Sort of like how you paralyzed yourself here, not even trying to help.

>Odds are he would have failed regardless, and the only difference is karma.

What a terribly pessimistic worldview. No doubt he would fail in anything he if he were hamstringing himself to the degree you propose.

>You're saying we sealed Parsee's fate the moment we tried to use the inactive gap, I say we sealed her fate (and ours) the moment we decided to use the rafters.

Maybe not so pessimistic as fatalistic. I wonder why you even bother to vote at all?
>> No. 21330
>For instance, how would a shinigami and celestial spirit attract any attention? One would assume that shinigami are all over the place given the number of deaths occurring at any given time, and Chiko is basically a ghost at this point. People don't really have a track record of being able to see either shinigami or ghosts.

Yeah, you see that's an effect of people voting when they're uncertain of the situation. They tend to take what looks like the most cautious and least assertive option, without looking to deeply into the possible consequences of their inaction.

Walking away now, ignoring what may or may not happen to Parsee, increases the likelihood of running into Ren and Mary, who while probably unable to see either Komachi or the ghost, would certainly make it difficult to hold a conversation with them, and we'd likely be stuck with them at least until we bring them home.

It also ignore the benefits to staying where we are. Not only can we continue to watch the show, while assuring the (at least temporary) safety of everyone on stage, we have a fair amount of privacy, with the only likely encounter being Parsee at the end of her set.

That itself could answer long-standing questions about how deeply involved in Gensokyo affairs she is: Will she see Komachi and ghost? She wouldn't even have a reason to be angry at us, since we have the perfectly reasonable (and flattering) explanation of wanting to have a better view of the performance. Regardless, of what transpires there, she's likely to leave in a huff, rather than stick around like Mary and Ren would.
>> No. 21331
>>21330
>Yeah, you see that's an effect of people voting when they're uncertain of the situation. They tend to take what looks like the most cautious and least assertive option, without looking to deeply into the possible consequences of their inaction.

I have to agree. It bothers me, because I quite like this story, and I'd like to see sensible decisions made, but real discussions don't seem to happen much. People vote without really stating their reasons, then disappear and never come back. Even when a discussion does crop up, no one seems to pay it any heed or reevaluate their votes. It's not even like there's pressure to vote fast, because the updates aren't rapidfire events.

It's frustrating, because if people just knee-jerk vote one way and then disappear, we're going to end up with the protagonist making a bunch of lousy decisions at critical junctures. It's even more disheartening, because if the other voters would sit down and think a little, a bunch of problems could be avoided. It saps some of the fun when it seems like people are just letting bad things happen because they don't care enough.

Ah, well. I guess I'm just making myself feel down now.

Back to the matter at hand. I'm thinking that remaining on the prop is the best course of action. It lets us stay around to watch the show, allowing us to earn potential Parsee points later; it's an out of the way location so we're not likely to have people sneak in on us; and it isn't a place people are paying attention to, so we should be able to discuss matters with Komachi and Chiko if they insist. It's the safest place to be right now.
>> No. 21332
Revoting, and dropping the conversation. It wasn't getting anywhere.

[X]Stay where you are and hear Komachi out.

If Komachi really is just holding this up through concentration, we'll just have to give her incentive to keep it rock-steady until at the very least, Parsee is out of the way.
>> No. 21335
>>21331
>I have to agree. It bothers me, because I quite like this story, and I'd like to see sensible decisions made, but real discussions don't seem to happen much. People vote without really stating their reasons, then disappear and never come back. Even when a discussion does crop up, no one seems to pay it any heed or reevaluate their votes. It's not even like there's pressure to vote fast, because the updates aren't rapidfire events.

That's why I liked blankfag's method of vote counting: 'Whichever side has the most convincing argument.'
>> No. 21336
>>21273
Changing vote.

[B] Stay where you are and hear Komachi out.
>> No. 21337
>>21295 here; changing vote:

[x] Stay where you are and hear Komachi out.

This compromise is far superior to the alternative.
>> No. 21340
[x] Stay where you are and hear Komachi out.
>> No. 21341
[x] Stay where you are and hear Komachi out.
>> No. 21347
[] Disaster averted. Get Mary and Ren and leave. Komachi and Chiko can follow discreetly.
>> No. 21354
>>21353

hooray!
>> No. 21355
File 124819420412.jpg - (338.00KB , 800x600 , komachi.jpg ) [iqdb]
21355
Well, schools coming down with flu and I was hospital quarantined for a false alarm...
-----------------
[] Stay where you are and hear Komachi out.

“Is this stable?” you ask, tapping the translocating steel with some apprehension. Apparently Shinigami are less affected with the general scarcity of magic than most other beings.

“Ah…yes?” Komachi answers, a vague look upon her features. She’s not very sure, is she?

“I see.” You answer, bringing your hand to your temples and attempting to massage the beginnings of a migraine away. “Good.” You continue firmly. “Explain. Here. Now.” You’re just not in the mood for this- just freshly off an adrenaline high and not feeling the better for all the trouble.

Komachi most tactfully, remains silent….or not.

Though, by now, its quite blatantly obvious that her silence has nothing to do with tact. Komachi turns and gives the translucently floating Chiko a long look, which her ghostly counterpart returns. Then, on some predetermined signal, the to begin babbling rapidly- both trying, if unsuccessfully, to impress upon you, an explanation, a request for help, the gravity of the situation and what appears to be an reenactment. Both equally one sided. Weren’t you supposed to be the youngest- by centuries no less of the little group? Oh yes, humans mature fast. Yukari said so.

Anyway, you’ll never look at Shinigami- or celestials the same way again and you wondered if the quests heroes of legends undertook for such beings were more of test of patience than anything else. If you had based your perception of youkai and kami in general on these two, you would have thought, that it was no wonder that they needed the human heroes of legends around. If not, nothing would get done.

“Slow down!” you order firmly, their chattering mingling with Parsee’s lyrics, forming an odd liting sort of medley. You felt irritation rising.

They do. In fact, complying rather willingly (for once), much to your pleasure. Chiko, having stopped mid way through a particularly showy ‘It’s obviously her fault-“ and, Komachi, with a gloomy look one usually associated with being laid off from work. Which you supposed, was what she expected from the Lady Yamaxanadu….or the Yama Xanadu…or the Yama Shiki…or however her title went.

“Well…er…” Komachi stumbles. “We’ll need a…ah….”

“A?” You prompt.

“A corpse.”

‘A what?”

“Eh…A magically inclined corpse...they’re a little hard to find out here…” Komchi mumbles unwillingly.

“What? No!’ You exclaim, staring the taller woman down. Shinigami or no, grave robbery is absolutely out of the question- even if she offers to…ah- anyway. Some things are, as they say, taboo, and defiling graves is one of them. “I’m not going to help you dig up graves!” You maintain your stance.

‘Ah! No! You’ve got me all wrong!” Komachi exclaims hurriedly, waving her hands in dismissal. “Me! A shinigami stooping to digging up graves? No way!”

“Hmmumm” Chiko aggress. “Besides, the people on this side of the border don’t have what it takes to accommodate my power after all…”

“A little like the immune system rejecting a virus huh…I can see why.” You mutter drawing puzzled glances from both girls.

“…Immune System?” Chiko mouths, confident in her experience in the human realm. “That’s a kind of computer isn’t it?” Komachi shrugs. “You know! Sorta like the thingy humans use to control …erm…you know…these lights….something like a shikigami.” Chiko points vaguely at the lights display, with Parsee illuminated in a sort of glowing nimbus in the center of it. “Ah.” Komachi understood.

“Back to the point, please.” You sigh. The wonderous artifacts of the human realm were sometimes a little too fascinating for the uninitiated.

“Ooh! Right!” Komachi exclaims, at attention once more, beginning her list.

“A magically inclined body, so you need to go back to Gensokyo, but you can’t?” you repeat, finally. Komachi nods, beaming. “That’s it! What a clever boy.” Chiko states less than happily, rolling her eyes with a snort.

“Why not?” you ask Komachi, doing your best to ingnoring the transparent girl. “You seem to be able to bypass the boundary at your pleasure.”

“Eh...true.’ Komachi cofirms. “But although us Shinigami have our own ways back into Genokyo…but tha moment I step across…Boss will be onto me quicker than that reporter girl!”

“Aya.” You correct automatically.

“Yah yah. Her.” Komachi sighs. “She’ll be on my case too- nosey tengu. Anyway, you’ve know a private way in right?”

“And you know of this because?

“Shinigami’s got to know who can pass the boundaries ya know? We can’t let just anyone pass across life and death just like that. Tha big sis of yours is obligated to tell us.” Komachi explains. “All of this stuff confi-den-tial, except between parties involved, ya know?”

Well now you do know. Well… now that you thught about it, you supposed that even Yukari isn’t fully free to do as she pleases all the time…just most of the time. Most of which is spent sleeping, thankfully.

“And if I get you in- you’ll supply the magic of course-, won’t lady Yamaxandu notice you anyway?” you ask, noting the flaw in her plan.

“Well~” Komachi looks smug for once. “Boss is able to see all the lands of Gensokyo with her Truth Perception but…” she grins. “…perhaps not under it.”

“Ah…” Amazing. ‘Get to the point. What will we do there?”

“We get a corpse collecter- ha~ simple as that.” Komachi nods sagely. “By agreement, they can claim unburied bodies and the bodies of criminals to fuel the blazing hell, so they’re sure-“
>> No. 21356
‘Wait wait wait wait wait!’ you splutter. “You want me, to open a gap to hell? Are you insane?”

“What? Don’t be silly! The blazing hell is just the furnace that makes the actual hell-“

“Alright alright!’ you interrupt. “Let’s make this quick. Who’s this corpse collecter of yours?”

“Dunno.” Komachi shrugs, the lights show playing across her face. “I’m sure there’re lots of them, though.”

“Hey! Shinigami!’ Chiko bursts in. “I thoyght you said you had this all figured out!”

“I do, I do! Just not the part about the corpse collector yah? We don’t really associate with their kind anyway.” Komachi defends herself hurriedly. ‘Besides- finding one will be easy! The last time I checked, they were all over the place, even on the surface…hmm.” She repeats a few dates vaguely.

You pale. “Komachi…that was the sengoku era.”

Still, with your sister’s voice croonng away in the background, a strong slow song, Komachi hands you a piece of paper. ‘When you’re ready, write my name on it hmm? Sooner is better” she instructs- completely disregarding the fact that you havn’t agreed to anything yet. Leading Chiko, she departs as mysteriously as she had arrived, the translocation scaffolding still upright. Evidently, shinigami aren’t starved for magic in the human realm. You just wondered how the technicians were going to explain this when they came to inspect it.

“Parsee!”

‘Parsee!’ the crowd cheers.

‘Thank you everybody!! You were great!” Parsee’s voice rings out from a displaced speaker. “Thank you! Thank you for being here with me!” You shrug. All an act, you supposed, and you stepped off the scaffolding- not towards the crowd, unless you wanted to be arrested but a more discreet route past backstage.

And find yourself walking right past your sister. She’s exhausted by the look of things- you will admit that she works hard.

‘Nice show.” You comment in passing. No, you won’t complicate things by showing yourself, and perhaps your pride wouldn’t allow it. But…she did put on a nice show…and she did deserve some credit. Your reasoning is sound after all, but that’s that.

She lets out a small “huh?” but you keep walking. Perhaps you’re too estranged, so you don’t feel like showing your face. Some credit huh. Not quite the spolit brat now, you muse.

“Great job, Mizuhashi!’ a young man’s voice calls, and your sister turns back to answer. Good enough that she didn’t recognize you. Credit where credit is due after all.

And so, it’s a rather fitting, if hectic end to your little holiday to Kyoto, you muse s you board the train, Mari and Ren flanking you, engaged in deep conversation- something about how trancendant the music would be if Kannushi and Parsee combined their respective instrumental and vocal might.

You decline as Mari offers you her lap half playfully, sighing along with Ren. After Aya’s train ride those weeks ago, you thought that you would never sleep on a train again. And as the JR express rumbles on, your phone rings- an incoming e-mail.

…Hey…I unblocked your number…
An appropriate end huh? You shut your eyes and plug yourself into Mari’s mp3, plans for the days ahead running through your mind.

[] Tell Yukari about Komachi’s problem.
[] Don’t.

Choose a date for your venture.
[] A week before the term starts. (Day after tomorrow)
[] Three days before term starts.
[] A day before term starts.

[] Reetablish contact with sister.
[] You’re not too sure…she’s always been a controlling smug little…eh…
[] Ask other sister for advice.
[] Ask Mari and Ren for advice.

Fell free to write in sensibly.
------------------
I am out of practice.

Anyway, would you guys recommend a classical or an acoustic for a first guitar?
>> No. 21357
[X] Tell Yukari about Komachi’s problem.
[X] Three days before term starts.
[X] Reetablish contact with sister.
- [X] Ask other sister for advice.
- [X] Ask Mari and Ren for advice.

Komachi has a solid little plan, but she seems rather uncertain about several aspects. While Yukari can't travel underground herself, she could run some valuable interference for us above ground, and provide distractions to our dear Yama. She might make a good persuasive voice if we have some way to let the undergrounders speak with her, as well.

I would vote to resolve this immediately and get it out of the way, but Yukari mentioned the geysers tonight, which means SA is just beginning. Dropping in as SA is occurring would not be wise - Rin is a panicked mess at this point, so her help can't be counted on, and Utsuho is still a power-crazed megalomaniac with the power of the sun; not to mention that the hell of blazing fires will actually be blazing right now. Best give the girls a little time to solve or mitigate the incident before enacting the plan.

As for Parsee... she's our sister, and we've already taken one step in the right direction with her. Reestablishing contact with her should be our goal; the advice we're asking for from Yukari, Ren, and Mary, isn't on whether we should reconnect with Parsee, but rather how to go about doing it.

Incidentally, waiting a few days may give us a chance to reconnect with Parsee at least a little, which may prove helpful in the underground. It seems like Parsee either remembers her bridge guard days, or is actively leading a bridge guard life in a system where when she's sleeping in one world she's awake in the other. Either way, if we can begin to reestablish our relationship to her, it might be helpful when we encounter her bridge princess personality.
>> No. 21358
[O] Tell Yukari about Komachi’s problem.
[O] A week before the term starts.
>> No. 21359
[X] Tell Yukari about Komachi’s problem.
[X] Three days before term starts.
[X] Reetablish contact with sister.
- [X] Ask other sister for advice.
- [X] Ask Mari and Ren for advice.
>> No. 21360
[X] Tell Yukari about Komachi’s problem.
[X] Three days before term starts.
[X] Reetablish contact with sister.
- [X] Ask other sister for advice.
- [X] Ask Mari and Ren for advice.
>> No. 21361
[X] Tell Yukari about Komachi’s problem.
[X] Three days before term starts.
[X] Reetablish contact with sister.
- [X] Ask other sister for advice.
- [X] Ask Mari and Ren for advice.
>> No. 21362
[X] Tell Yukari about Komachi’s problem.
[X] Three days before term starts.
[X] Reetablish contact with sister.
- [X] Ask other sister for advice.
- [X] Ask Mari and Ren for advice.
>> No. 21363
>>21357
>It seems like Parsee either remembers her bridge guard days, or is actively leading a bridge guard life in a system where when she's sleeping in one world she's awake in the other.
Acknowledgment at last.
Thank you!
>> No. 21398
File 124856147243.jpg - (198.84KB , 797x800 , lady.jpg ) [iqdb]
21398
[X] Tell Yukari about Komachi’s problem.
[X] Three days before term starts.
[X] Reetablish contact with sister.
- [X] Ask other sister for advice.
- [X] Ask Mari and Ren for advice.

--

“Are you being absurd?” Yukari states, her tea halting in its path towards her lips, still half open as she stares at you in half amusement. Yes- half amusement only. You’ve known her quite a time now, but you still feel exceedingly foolish every time she gives you that half stare, vaguely an amalgamation of someone amused and someone who’s been confronted by some nonsense babbling idiot.

‘Why don’t you jump off a building while you’re at it, since you’re feeling so invulnerable,” she continues mercilessly. She sets her teacup down delicately, and folds her arms, settling down to give you an odd stare. She’s dressed casually today, in a cardigan and a modest skirt- business in the human realm, she had explained evasively.

Still, you had had recognized several purchases of a brand of walkie-talkies amongst the masses of crème caramels and souvenirs she had carried along and dumped into your apartment. And a whole carton of batteries along with a military grade torchlight. Yukari could have been shrouded in mystery, but yet, at times, so amazingly transparent and unsubtle.

Geysers. Underground. Your sister figure’s burning enthusiasm for meddling in strange occurrences.

It hadn’t been overly difficult to figure out.

And then you had mentioned Komachi’s pressing problem to her, and had been shot down almost immediately. You had expected this reaction from her, but still…trust familial bonds and all that. Ever since that time long ago, Yukari had always been someone you could trust explicitly (Reliability was a different matter altogether), and keeping her out of the loop had been almost unthinkable.

Logically though, with both the means and respectful authority to stop you, telling her wouldn’t have been the most logical thing to do.

“What about Chiko?” you had asked.

“Oh, did you really think that Yamada is blind-“

‘Yamada?”

“Shikieiki,” Yukari had replied snappishly. “Yama-Yamada… you know-ah…anyway.” She had coughed, clearing her throat. “Anyway. Did you think that Yamada came to her position by lying around and doing nothing? The moment that Shinigami did something stupid, Yamada probably knew about it- truth perception or something like that- not my area of expertise, but…ah! You should get it by now.”

You had merely nodded, trying to project an image of quiet and knowing understanding. Yukari was rather in a mood today- though you weren’t sure if youkai had the same menstrual processes as humans or not, but was certain that long queues and bad customer service was exceedingly taxing on everyone, even great youkai sages.

Especially great youkai sages it seems.

“Anyway,” Yukari continues. “You’re not to enter the Underground. I’ve not been there and who knows what might be lying about there, sleeping and forgotten all this while?”

“Your sister?” you answer.

“Ha ha. Very funny.” Yukari mutters. “So smart.” She adds sarcastically. “You won’t try to enter the underworld, will you?” she asks after pause. It wasn’t really a question, seeing that there was really only one possible answer to it.

“No onee-san.” You admit defeat.

Yukari is still, by far an unassailable foe for you. All she needs to do is to take a lecturing tone, or a pleading one and you’re done. An overly needy yet stern onee-san…hah.

“Yamada will deal with Chiko’s problem, “she nods surely. “It’s under her jurisdiction after all and if that Shinigami of hers tries to get you to cover up for her mistakes again, she and I will have words.”

A rather ominous prospect, seeing that said Shinigami seemed more than a little desperate. Still, you’ll deal with that hurdle when you get to it, with Yukari right in front of you right now; the more immediate obstacle is rather obvious isn’t it?

Point made to her satisfaction, Yukari moves over, flopping onto your threadbare sofa with an extended sigh and turning on the television. She’ll be here till dinner at least, seeing that the boundary is more turbulent of late. As the days count down till the start of your term, you’ve even noticed shuddering ripples on the once serene mirror’s surface of your own gap- a testament to the state of the boundary. You supposed that a possible theory was that while by far less potent and effective than Yukari’s boundary manipulation; your gap in turn was less affected by the state of the boundary of all things. You never had seen it to be as affected by state of the boundary and so, naturally, this was quite worrisome.

Though, as you watch Yukari pull open a crème caramel’s wrapping, your sister figure didn’t seem overly worried- merely taking a few more safety precautions than normal, and perhaps staying over a little longer. Not that you minded. Yukari wasn’t that bad company anyway. Unless she’s drunk of course.

You leave her be. Soaps, unnecessarily dramatic by your standards seemed to fascinate her to an oddly disproportionate degree. Surely someone who lived in Gensokyo wouldn’t be interested in a show about a youkai hunter, would she? Oh well…then again, Yukari isn’t your average youkai. You return power to your desktop monitor, noting that you’ve got mail.

From that sister of yours, no less.

Mari and Ren had come to the same conclusion on what advise to give on this matter, when you had proven your courage to ask the two of them, on the train, more than a week ago, which was to, reply, as soon as possible.- to repair the bridge or so they say. Sound advice, you supposed, but what to say when you did reply was quite another matter. Thing is, you didn’t really have anything to say but the same old empty drivel.

It just didn’t sound right.
>> No. 21400
You peer over your shoulder to your sister. Yukari sits, not as she was before, upright and fully at attention, leaning forwards towards the small screen. She’s watching an advertisement for a laptop, really. You don’t really have much to say about that, but dare you interrupt her?

Well, you don’t really stand to lose anything anyway. You call her over with a small sigh.

Yukari seems more than willing actually. But had this been a mistake?

“Not like that!’ Yukari chastises. “With more, feeling~!”

‘Right,” you mutter, tapping at the keys. “Feeling…”

“No no. Feeling~!” Your sister figure repeats with some emphasis. “See? You’re getting it!”

You stare at the characters on the screen. Thank you for this message. I appreciate it…..How are you…

And you can’t come up with anything better. Good Grief.

There’s a chime of a bell, subtly soft yet you could hear it over the music of the television. Yukari looks up, away from you, a small “oh” forming at her parted lips. She smiles and snaps her fingers expectantly and with a strange barely perceptible creaking sound, three of her gaps slide into existence (or more accurately, bits of existence collapses into three gaps), their many eyes focused on their mistress.

“Finally,” Yukari smiles. “I was wondering when you three would show up.”

You don’t know how they manage, but those otherworldly things manage to look apologetic.

There’s a tap on your shoulder.

“You’re coming? For dinner at least?” Yukari asks, looking much happier now that the integrity of her boundary s restored.

[] Well…You supposed that it would be alright.
[] You really should stay, actually.
[] …at the very least you should carry the bags…
and
[] Wait a second. Reply to the email first.
[] Ah…Too awkward. You’ll think about this later.

Feel free to write in sensibly.
----------------
>> No. 21401
[x] Well…You supposed that it would be alright.
[x]You should carry the bags, regardless.
and
[x] Ah…Too awkward. You’ll think about this later.
or it'll be too rushed.
>> No. 21403
[O] Well…You supposed that it would be alright.
[O]You should carry the bags, regardless.
and
[O] Ah…Too awkward. You’ll think about this later.
>> No. 21404
[+] Well--you suppose that it would be alright.
[+] You should carry the bags, regardless.
and
[+] Ah--too awkward. You’ll think about this later.
>> No. 21405
[X] Well... you supposed that it would be alright.
[X] You should carry the bags, regardless.

[X] Wait a second. Reply to the email first.

I feel conflicted on that last one. It really is important to reply to Parsee, especially since we might disappear for a while, but I'm not sure we'll get anything meaningful accomplished if we rush. It would sure be nice if Yukari had a working Internet connection in Mayohiga.

Well, my vote is subject to change, but this should do nicely for now.
>> No. 21409
[~] Well... you supposed that it would be alright.
[z] You should carry the bags, regardless.
[e] Wait a second. Reply to the email first.
>> No. 21410
[x] Well... you supposed that it would be alright.
[x] You should carry the bags, regardless.
[x] Wait a second. Reply to the email first.
>> No. 21411
[x] Well…You supposed that it would be alright.
[x]You should carry the bags, regardless.
and
[x] Ah…Too awkward. You’ll think about this later.
>> No. 21430
[] Wait a second. Reply to the email first.
[] Wait a second. Reply to the email first.

Forgoing vote on first part for two votes on the second.

It'll only get more awkward the longer you put it off. I know because I do it all the time. These situations require you use a bulldozer and plow right through them. The establishment of rapport here is far more important than the contents of the words.
>> No. 21431
[x] Well... you supposed that it would be alright.
[x] You should carry the bags, regardless.
[x] Wait a second. Reply to the email first.
>> No. 21432
[x] Well…You supposed that it would be alright.
[x]You should carry the bags, regardless.
and
[x] Wait a second. Reply to the email first.
>> No. 21435
File 124887506961.jpg - (85.57KB , 908x702 , reimu.jpg ) [iqdb]
21435
[] Well…You supposed that it would be alright.
[] …at the very least you should carry the bags…
[] Ah…Too awkward. You’ll think about this later.

Well… you stare over at the congealing remnants of lunch- instant ramen, and think over what you would do for dinner, your thoughts being drawn to the carton of the aginomoto laden stuff lying half empty at the bottom of a cupboard. You had neglected to do any real form of grocery shopping since the end of the trip. Well…not exactly a paragon of responsibility and independence, though to your defense, you had been rather more preoccupied with preparations for the term ahead- and a (now defunct) secret trip into Gensokyo’s underworld.

On the other hand, Ran’s culinary skills were, while not world class, good enough to have kept her strange little family fed and satisfied for centuries. Not much of a contest. Besides, it shouldn’t take too long, should it?

You look on as Yukari waits expectantly, leaning against empty air. Well, she’s eager to flex her restored power isn’t she? Still, your sister’s email is waiting to be answered and there are so many things to…oh never mind- you won’t get to spend much time with your extended family once the semester begins. And you supposed that “Parsee” could wait a day. Besides, you could use the time to think of a more suitable reply than Yukari’s drivel.

Oh- and you’d better get the bags too. Chivalry and all that nonsense. It should be fine they don’t look all that heavy…but they are. Never judge by first appearances huh? Yukari watches in half amusement for a moment before chuckling good-naturedly and taking half the load out of your hands.

“Aww…Ran would be so proud- always help a lady hmmm?” she stretches out a hand to your hair, probably out of habit, but stops in time. “Hmm, let’s go shall we?” she nods and snaps her fingers, leading the way into her strange realm between the worlds. Oh well, here you go…you inhale, and step across the threshold.

Travel through a gap is instantaneous, really, though as you step out the other side, you really felt that you had heard an explosion of sorts, which was rather odd seeing that physics didn’t really work as per normal within Yukari’s domain, and had felt Yukari’s reassuring precedence depart abruptly. You look about, a sense of worry rising in your chest.

This isn’t Mayohiga.

You aren’t even sure if this is Gensokyo. A familiar looking shrine, dilapidated and ancient greets your swimming vision as you fight down the spike of gap induced nausea. The little trip had been a little more violent than normal, if even a seasoned gapper like you had gotten gap sickness- the sudden removal of normal physical laws had been more jarring than normal, you would have said. Had, you wonder as you give a dry heave, Yukari sent you off course again?

You peek open an eye with some effort. It is familiar indeed. In fact, you would say that this was Gensokyo’s half of the Hakurei shrine. Except, you consider, as condensation begins to form thickly on your spectacles, the Hakurei shrine you knew never had a bleedy big hot springs right next to it. A rich steam wafts through the makeshift wooden palisade surrounding the pool, carrying with it a hint of sulfur and the air, you notice, is remarkably warmer and humid.

Still, you, in hindsight, wisely resist the urge to close in and investigate. Someone, you reason sensibly, is bound to be inside, and that someone is, in this particular scenario, is bound to be female. You wonder how you knew that- that little voice of reason in your head again. Besides, if this was Gensokyo proper, it was highly likely that that someone would be both female and capable of inflicting grievous bodily injury upon your personage.

Then, rather conveniently, or the inverse, depending on the perspective, your doubts are rather effectively dispelled. You turned as someone pads by you, repeating ‘onsen…onsen” in a happy singsong voice. Sable hair slick with moisture and pale skin glistening- not to mention clad in only a towel- and slippers and probably the happiest expression you ever seen plastered sappily on her face, Hakurei Reimu continues on unnoticing to all but her song.

The (no doubt imported from your side of the boundary) soothing pads she’s taped over her eyelids doesn’t really help her visibility much- though she’s not totally senseless. Sharpened senses ( of auras or something of that subject, or so Reimu has explained once) picked you out soon enough and you wave weakly as Reimu stiffens, tightening the white linen about herself and ripping the pads from her eyes, flinging them aside with a sort of abject horror.

She returns the wave with an utterly admonished look on her features and totters weakly off into her quarters, slamming the sliding door with sufficient force to dislodge a sleeping fairy from the tiles above.

“Eyyy….Reimu, wai so shai?”a voice calls out.

A pair of horns pops over the top of the palisade followed by the rest of Suika’s head and an overly strong, in your opinion, fragrance of sake. “Hmm..I just grabbed ya boo…hey! you’re not Reimu…??” the oni stares at you accusingly, eyes unfocused. “…or are you ahhh…you’re a bit tall?”

“Evening Suika,’ you greet warily. You don’t know this girl too well and are not exactly too comfortable with this situation. “Er…” you stumble for a subject. “Anyone else in there?” you ask finally.

“Oho,” Suika laughs, laying her head on the wooden surface before her. “Ahhhhhhhhh….jus, me and me and me, I guess. Reimu too…but she reft.” On cue, two more slightly smaller Suika pop up and wave cheerily. There’s a sort of splashing noise and a small fountain of water bursts upwards, getting your shoes wet. “Oh, yeah…Iku’s here too…but I forgot- she’s been in there three days already…so we sort of got used to it hmmm….”

Getting in touch with her hydrophilic side huh…

Still, you watch rather apprehensively as Suika (main) flips herself over the palisade, orangey hair traveling in a graceful arc before landing, sprawled on the ground with a wet slap. “Awww…mud…” she whines.

You could just stop wallowing about in you know… naked…

“Oh well…I get to take a bath again!” her face brightens up almost immediately.

Wait a moment here…

[] Have you seen Yukari?
[] Have you seen Ren and Chen?
[] What’s up with Reimu?
[] Where did that, come from? Point towards the onsen.
[] Iku’s been in there for three days?
[] …put some clothes on!
[] Why are all of you here?
[] …you’re really orange down there huh… gah

Fell free to think up appropriate, or not so appropriate questions. But but to your average Oni's attention span,you might only get in two r three questions at most.
-----------------
Picture didn't turn out right- ashamed to have drawn such trash. Oh well. Can't make steam like the above picture.
>> No. 21436
>>two r(sic) three questions at most
I'll list four then.

[+] ... you’re really orange down there huh ... gah (CHAIN WITH NEXT OPTION)
[+] ... put some clothes on!
[+] Where did that, come from? Point towards the onsen.
[+] Have you seen Yukari?
>> No. 21437
[X]Have you seen Yukari?
[X]Iku's been in there for three days?

Iku is Chiko's caretaker and something of a friend to her isn't she?
We may want to go talk to her soon.
>> No. 21438
[x] "Have you seen Yukari? Or Ran? Or Chen?"
[x] "You ever hear of anyone getting lost on their way to Mayohiga, Suika?"
[x] "If you see Reimu, tell her that her Border is broken."
[x] If she hasn't, wave goodbye and walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. Preferably before Reimu comes back.
- [x] Don't forget your luggage. (Feel free to leave Yukari's behind.)

Well this is another fine situation you've gotten us into, Yukari.

At least the picture is nice.
>> No. 21440
[x] "Have you seen Yukari? Or Ran? Or Chen?"
[x] "You ever hear of anyone getting lost on their way to Mayohiga, Suika?"
[x] "If you see Reimu, tell her that her Border is broken."
[x] If she hasn't, wave goodbye and walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. Preferably before Reimu comes back.
- [x] Don't forget your luggage. (Feel free to leave Yukari's behind.)
>> No. 21442
[x] "Have you seen Yukari? Or Ran? Or Chen?"
[x] "You ever hear of anyone getting lost on their way to Mayohiga, Suika?"
[x] "If you see Reimu, tell her that her Border is broken."
[x] If she hasn't, wave goodbye and walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. Preferably before Reimu comes back.
- [x] Don't forget your luggage. (Feel free to leave Yukari's behind.)
>> No. 21443
[x] "Have you seen Yukari? Or Ran? Or Chen?"
[x] "You ever hear of anyone getting lost on their way to Mayohiga, Suika?"
[x] "If you see Reimu, tell her that her Border is broken."
[x] If she hasn't, wave goodbye and walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. Preferably before Reimu comes back.
- [x] Don't forget your luggage. (Feel free to leave Yukari's behind.)
>> No. 21444
[X] "Have you seen Yukari, or Ran, or even Chen?"
[X] "Where did that come from?" Point towards the onsen.
[X] "Iku’s been in there for three days? Is she alright? Iku? You there? You feeling okay?"
[X] "Gah! Look, I... the nakedness is... well, nice, but... the carpets actually match the drapes? Argh! Forget about that!" Get out of here before you hyperventilate!

Do want more Iku~
>> No. 21445
[x] "Have you seen Yukari? Or Ran? Or Chen?"
[x] "You ever hear of anyone getting lost on their way to Mayohiga, Suika?"
[x] "If you see Reimu, tell her that her Border is broken."
[x] If she hasn't, wave goodbye and walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. Preferably before Reimu comes back.
- [x] Don't forget your luggage. (Feel free to leave Yukari's behind.)

Sure why not.
>> No. 21463
[d] "Have you seen Yukari? Or Ran? Or Chen?"
[a] "You ever hear of anyone getting lost on their way to Mayohiga, Suika?"
[~] "If you see Reimu, tell her that her Border is broken."
[z] If she hasn't, wave goodbye and walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. Preferably before Reimu comes back.
- [e] Don't forget your luggage. (Feel free to leave Yukari's behind.)
>> No. 21485
What's with the passive aggressive abandoning of Yukari's luggage? It's not her fault the Border is being turbulent, and even if it were, it would be better to actually confront her about it than be a wet blanket and try to get back at in such a pathetic way.

Stop being pussies.
>> No. 21487
>>21485
I think it's more of a matter of being able to actually lug her (probably bigger on the inside) heavy bags all the way to Mayohiga on our own.
>> No. 21491
[x] "Have you seen Yukari? Or Ran? Or Chen?"
[x] "You ever hear of anyone getting lost on their way to Mayohiga, Suika?"
[x] "If you see Reimu, tell her that her Border is broken."
[x] If she hasn't, wave goodbye and walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. Preferably before Reimu comes back.
- [x] Don't forget your luggage.

>(Feel free to leave Yukari's behind.)

That's not something you should do to someone who cares about you so much that she would scold you for trying to help her in a fight.
>> No. 21492
[O] "Have you seen Yukari? Or Ran? Or Chen?"
[O] "You ever hear of anyone getting lost on their way to Mayohiga, Suika?"
[O] "If you see Reimu, tell her that her Border is broken."
[O] If she hasn't, wave goodbye and walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. Preferably before Reimu comes back.
- [O] Don't forget your luggage.
>> No. 21515
>>21487

Yeah, it's just deadweight and we're youkai-fodder as is.
>> No. 21516
>>21487
>>21515

You really think that we can't ask someone to help us with it? Or that any youkai will be getting onto the road to Mayohiga that even Yukari needs an invitation from us to tread? Horseshit. We all know that the original purpose of the write-in was just to be spiteful, and that there's no reason to be spiteful. Stop being dicks.

Changing my vote, just to combat this retarded and unnecessary passive aggressive crap.

[X] "Have you seen Yukari? Or Ran? Or Chen?"
[X] "You ever hear of anyone getting lost on their way to Mayohiga, Suika?"
[X] "If you see Reimu, tell her that her Border is broken."
[X] If she hasn't, wave goodbye and walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. Preferably before Reimu comes back.
- [X] Don't forget your luggage.
>> No. 21521
[X] "Have you seen Yukari? Or Ran? Or Chen?"
[X] "You ever hear of anyone getting lost on their way to Mayohiga, Suika?"
[X] "If you see Reimu, tell her that her Border is broken."
[X] If she hasn't, wave goodbye and walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. Preferably before Reimu comes back.
- [X] Don't forget your luggage.

I knew Anon could be petty, but really.
>> No. 21524
[X] "Have you seen Yukari? Or Ran? Or Chen?"
[X] "You ever hear of anyone getting lost on their way to Mayohiga, Suika?"
[X] "If you see Reimu, tell her that her Border is broken."
[X] If she hasn't, wave goodbye and walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. Preferably before Reimu comes back.
- [X] Don't forget your luggage. Or Yukari's.
>> No. 21525
[X] "Have you seen Yukari? Or Ran? Or Chen?"
[X] "You ever hear of anyone getting lost on their way to Mayohiga, Suika?"
[X] "If you see Reimu, tell her that her Border is broken."
[X] If she hasn't, wave goodbye and walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. Preferably before Reimu comes back.
- [X] Don't forget your luggage. Or Yukari's.
>> No. 21532
[B] "Have you seen Yukari? Or Ran? Or Chen?"
[B] "You ever hear of anyone getting lost on their way to Mayohiga, Suika?"
[B] "If you see Reimu, tell her that her Border is broken."
[B] If she hasn't, wave goodbye and walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. Preferably before Reimu comes back.
- [b] Don't forget your luggage. Or Yukari's.
>> No. 21537
File 124930764122.jpg - (204.43KB , 640x480 , defcbc0459c5387fe1f73b0609cd8b0760048406.jpg ) [iqdb]
21537
[X] "Have you seen Yukari? Or Ran? Or Chen?"
[X] "You ever hear of anyone getting lost on their way to Mayohiga, Suika?"
[X] "If you see Reimu, tell her that her Border is broken."
[X] If she hasn't, wave goodbye and walk, do not run, to the nearest exit. Preferably before Reimu comes back.
- [X] Don't forget your luggage. Or Yukari's.

Ah yes. You’ve known about the Oni and their general lack of inhibitions but, well, frankly this is the first time you’ve really taken a good look first hand. Still, you’ve more pressing matters to attend to right now than Suika’s state of undress.

This isn’t some sort of joke, is it? This is a little random, even for that capricious sister of yours. Good grief. Worries erode the boundaries of your calm, as the little oni before you twitters on endlessly about one subject or another. Bags hit the solid flagstones and split open, spilling batteries and crème caramels all over the place. You’ve dropped them.

“Yukari. Have you seen her?” you ask finally, in a measured tone.

“Hmm? No.” The oni answers.

‘Ran? Chen?” you ask.

“Oh! Oh! They’re in-“ Suika begins, though she’s cut off.

“Have you heard of anyone getting lost on the way to Mayohiga, Suika?” you continue on, heedless. At this point, however, Suika is looking decidedly more sober- and if you could have been a little more perceptive, a little more worried to boot.

Shock. More specifically, shellshock, you had been told later, by the mysterious silver haired lady who sat at your bedside, clipboard in hand. She had forced a foul tasting concoction down your throat- for the nerves- she had said, and had departed as silently as she had arrived, leaving you to mull over the recent happenings.

You seem to remember insisting to a grim faced Reimu, who, at the time was holding you down with all the physical strength she could muster, that her border had been broken- over and over again, while Suika had hurriedly and anxiously explained what in the world just happened. You had gotten the idea that away, was the best place to be…many strong little hands hand lifted you, and and…well…here you were you guessed. You did seem to remember one last thing about pointing hysterically at the luggage though…Both yours and Yukari’s…

Shock huh…

That must have been some shock. The theoretical exposition you couldn’t have heard in the timeless instant you had taken through the gap was starting to seem more and more likely to have happened. Or perhaps you just had epilepsy and never knew about it till now…nah. Still, it seems that you’re still in the Hakurei shrine- a stray yin yang orb rests dejectedly against your foot, in desperate need of a good polish.

Absent mindedly, you give it a good wipe with your blanket, as the sliding door opens gently, admitting Ran into the small room. With an elegant motion, one of her tails shuts the door, and she sits along side you, and odd expression in her eyes.

“I…I I’m fine!’ you stutter quickly. “I’m okay! Don’t….ah….don’t…”

Ran smiles, and gives a stray sniff, only one of course, and she blinks a few times. ‘Ah…yes,” she speaks measured and cool, as always, though not quite this time. “That, that is good to hear.” She finishes simply.

“Yukari?” you ask, heart sinking.

Ran shakes her head. “Alive- if Yukari-sama were killed- had crossed over,” she corrects. “I, as her Shikigami, would know of it.”

Oh. “So she’s sleeping then?” you ask.

“No….” Ran shakes her head wearily. “Yukari-sama, has not emerged from the boundary as of yet.”

“We’ll go to look for her!’ you growl, hands fumbling for the pocket sized gap you carry about your person. “It’s not too late! We can-“

“No, you will not.”’ Ran rebukes. “An explosion strong enough to tear the fabric of the boundary itself was the cause of that. Many more have occurred over the last day- geysers have been bursting forth all over the sealed lands.” Ran continues, one hand held reassuringly toy your own. “The boundary between Gensokyo and the Human Realm is in tatters and the mistress is trapped in her own realm.”

Very gently, your hand is pushed down and the leather case, snapped shut. “No. Please don’t incarcerate yourself needlessly. Actions, are being taken.”

“Like what?” you ask hotly, fingers tightening around the leather, as if you could overcome Ran’s strength.

“There is a source to these geysers and obviously it lies underground. “ Ran answers, golden eyes narrowing, her hand still tightly grasped around yours. “We will enter the netherworld to investigate- and to subdue this threat.” Ran’s fingers tighten almost uncomfortably. “All the way to the blazing fires of hell itself, if necessary.” She adds with a hint of finality to her tone.

“We?” you press.

“Miss Reimu and Miss Marisa,” Ran smiles. “And friends and allies, of course. That oni and Miss Shameimaru are already here- and Miss Nagae as well. Myself and dear Chen of course.” She counts off a list. “Young Marisa, however, has used Lady Scarlet’s mansion as her base of preparation- along with Miss Knowledge, Miss Magatroid and hmm…that Kappa girl from the mountain. Miss Kagiyama appears to be with them as well…for journalistic coverage it seems.” She finishes with a hint of distaste.

“Ah…Hina-bun still gong strong then?”

“See for yourself- there should be a copy on the shelf there- the latest issue.” Ran looks darkly at the offending paper. “She claims that the Goddess of Moriya has already left for the underground- a day before the geysers started coming up I might add.”

But, you wonder as you fight down a horrid feeling. ‘Ran…” you ask finally. “When are you sending me back?” you ask. It’s not safe here. You can’t….

“The boundary between the worlds is in shambles, “ Ran states almost unwillingly, as if denying it would make it so. “I could not, even if I had the ability too, nor would your gap connect the worlds till the boundary is healed. Though…’ Ran looks regretfully away. “Your gap is remarkably resilient, and it might still work in the confines of Gensokyo- to penetrate deep into the netherworld, it will be essential, so…”

You heart leaps, the kind of feeling you get when you totter at the edge of a cliff.

“Yakumo Ran humbly asks for your assistance.”

[] Yes
-[] We’re gong in right now!
-[] Preparation is the key! Review Reimu-tai’s overall operational readiness.
-[] Preperation is the key! Head over to the Scarlet Manor and review Marisa-tai’s operational readiness.
-[] Head to Youkai mountain to investigate…

[]No…I can’t….
-----------------
Well....we're of to a start then.
>> No. 21538
[X] Yes
-[X] Preparation is the key! Review Reimu-tai’s overall operational readiness.
>> No. 21539
[O] Yes
-[O] Preparation is the key! Head over to the Scarlet Manor and review Marisa-tai’s operational readiness.
>> No. 21541
[X] Yes
-[X] Preperation is the key! Head over to the Scarlet Manor and review Marisa-tai’s operational readiness.

God damn it... Yukari...
>> No. 21542
[X] Yes
-[X] Preperation is the key! Head over to the Scarlet Manor and review Marisa-tai’s operational readiness.
>> No. 21543
>>21538

This since Yukari's out of action, it's up to us to fill in.

SA scenario start! (But I don't remember any border altering explosions)
>> No. 21544
>>21538

This since Yukari's out of action, it's up to us to fill in.

SA scenario start! (But I don't remember any border altering explosions)
>> No. 21545
[X] Yes
-[X] Preparation is the key! Head over to the Scarlet Manor and review Marisa-tai’s operational readiness.
>> No. 21546
[X] Yes
-[X] Preparation is the key! Review Reimu-tai’s overall operational readiness.

I knew it, I knew we'd get stuck.

Well, it's time for us to get to work and help save our Big Sis.

We'll have Reimu along with Aya, Suika, and even Iku for support. If Aya wants to get involved, you can expect Iku will want to given their unique friendship in this story.

Let's do this.
>> No. 21547
[x] Yes
-[x] Head to Youkai mountain to investigate…

Leave the underground to Reimu and Marisa. It's time to check in on our old friend.
>> No. 21548
>>21538

This since Yukari's out of action, it's up to us to fill in.

That and there's Iku

SA scenario start! (But I don't remember any border altering explosions)
>> No. 21551
[X] Yes
-[X] Preparation is the key! Review Reimu-tai’s overall operational readiness.

If I remember correctly we don't particularly like Marisa, so Reimu's the obvious choice.

Iku replacing Yukari in SA? Interesting...
>> No. 21552
>>21551

If I remember correctly we don't particularly like Marisa

Well, more like Marisa hates Landlordnon. Because she also loves him.

Tsundere.

If Reimu and Marisa both go, it'll be fun to see how Marisa reacts to hearing our voice over the cellular Yin-Yang orbs.
>> No. 21554
[X]Yes
-[X]Preperation is key! Review Reimu-tai's overall operational readiness.

This ought to be good.
>> No. 21555
[X] Yes
-[X] Preparation is the key! Head over to the Scarlet Manor and review Marisa-tai’s operational readiness.

Perfect opportunity to clear the bad blood between Marisa and Landlordanon.
>> No. 21559
[B] Yes
-[b] We’re gong in right now!
>> No. 21560
[] Yes
-[] Head to Youkai mountain to investigate
>> No. 21564
[x] Yes
-[x] Preparation is key! Review Reimu-tai's overall operational readiness.

Marisa's tsundere plus Parsee's tsundere? That's just too much tsundere. Plus getting to SDM when we could be going now is a waste of time, and right now we should be feeling a sense of urgency.
>> No. 21566
[x] Yes
-[x] Preparation is key! Review Reimu-tai's overall operational readiness.

Although our Landlord likes Patchouli, we should be able to communicate with her easily, especially if they come over to us. Or probably not. But either way, more people we like are in here, even if Reimu's not exactly the nicest person herself.
>> No. 21569
[x] Yes
-[x] Preparation is key! Review Reimu-tai's overall operational readiness.
>> No. 21572
How are you not picking the patchy option anon? Shame on you.
>> No. 21573
>>21572

Because the Reimu team includes Reimu and Suika, two of the people closest to Yukari, as well as Aya and Iku, who the Landlord gets along well with.

The Marisa team includes Marisa, who is flagrantly tsundere toward the Landlord; Alice and Nitori, who only know him in passing; and Patchouli, who is actually his friend.

Basically, this is a time of crisis, and being surrounded by friends rather than acquaintances will do wonders for keeping Landlord focused.
>> No. 21574
I say we should go for a three-prong attack. Let those two do what they do best down there and take Ran directly to extra stage.
>> No. 21575
>>21572

I'd choose it but tis a matter of Yakumo tradition, being Yukari's 'little brother' so he and Ran are checking on things to sub for Yukari.

Interesting sub plot how certain folks seem to be getting outside into the world... Aya's article doesn't help things.

Not to mention the theory that the badass Yakatori guy is actually Youki (Though that raises the question of what is he doing there)

And I guess Yukari dreams of alternate realities when she sleeps (Gensokyo Saga reference, precisely the whole getting attack while Marisa and Alice fangirl over him)

And curious about this story's Parsee's figure (since it's generally agreed that she's on the moderate side, but jealous of Yuugi)

>>21574

Well dunno what good that'd do since Kanako might try to hide it... but after checking the preparations it wouldn't be a bad idea to take the trip.
>> No. 21606
File 124975081350.jpg - (164.49KB , 850x600 , reimu.jpg ) [iqdb]
21606
[x] Yes
-[x] Preparation is key! Review Reimu-tai's overall operational readiness.

Had there been really any other answer to Ran’s request? You wonder, as you flip the catch on one of the walkie-talkies and carefully insert its batteries into the interior.

You look up as Ran strides pass, carrying a stack of boxes filled with jars of some sort or the other. Sacred Sake you supposed- and not for drinking this time. This brew was obviously for splashing and burning- much in the same way, you speculated, that holy water worked in those shows you watched. She passes wordlessly. It’s whole affair quite strange really.

Having seated yourself a time prior at a sturdy wooden table along the side of the Hakurei Shrine’s main courtyard, you concentrate on the tasks that you are more suited for- readying every piece of technological gear Yukari had brought into Gensokyo for use. Though, perhaps “technological gear” was a bit of an overstatement, Yukari, while having a great interest in technology, wasn’t particularly good at it either-Walkie-talkies, torches, batteries, ropes and even a cheap compass. Household items you could find in any other store was probably as far as her knowledge of such matters ended.

But you digress- having wandered away from the problem at hand. It is really strange.

Everyone.

Everything.

Seeing all the peoples you’ve known almost all your life (and some new acquaintances) like this is an odd experience. Purposeful. Yes, that would be an appropriate word. Movement to and fro is done so with a terrible purposefulness and the once laid back atmosphere of the small shrine gone without a trace. In a way, you supposed, they were preparing for war.

Ran certainly looked that way. Anything but motherly, the air seemed to come alive as she swept past with yet another box, adding it to the pile with a satisfied grunt. Chen along with Tokiko ( having arrived, wet and miserable and clutching three sodden books to her slight chest), more suited to lighter duties had been set to fold Ofuda- ammunition in a sense, which they passed on to Reimu to add the proper incantations and seals.

And not just Reimu and co- the denizens of Gensokyo were anything but helpless in the face of crisis- it was foolish after all, to depend solely on the maiden or the whims of youkai for protection. The hardy descendants of the warriors and exorcists of old still held on to their martial ways. Even Marisa’s rather rotund Papa kept, to your knowledge, an ancestral blade and one of the few modern service revolvers that made it across the boundary. Let’s not mention her mother. For her, armed would be an understatement.

Crowding up the place further, farmers and hunters and woodcutters from the various isolated homesteads, all gathering at this focal point, with bows and arrows, axes spears and what not. A few even had swords tied to their sashes, one, even in a modern combat harness complete with a single dangerous looking grenade- and another, their leader, a gruff looking fellow with a glowing axe. Iku, having been persuaded to leave the warm water, had conversed extensively with this fellow, gesturing extensively, while the man looked on, and leaning on his weapon.

The Town had been attacked, they had claimed. Evil entities of some sort emerging from geysers. With the Shinigami nowhere in sight to dispose of the lost souls…nor did the Yama seem to be doing anything about it. Strange indeed. Either way, at Keine sensei’s and the town elder’s behest, the Militia had been mustering to defend their homes, though the locals near the shrine gathered here instead. And more people were coming.

“Can’t find Mmm-machi at the river…” Shiroko had announced, fluttering down and yawning, sleepy with the waning of spring. “Saw Kuro though….wanted me to live in Higan with her. Can you b’live that sister of mine? Eternal Spring’s unnatural! Can’t she hibernate like a normal seasonal…” Ignoring the extended complaints about Eiki’s love of Spring, this was rather worrying. Komachi had probably acted , but you hadn’t time for this.

And more…

“The lower gates and tunnels are one big hot spring now…” Momiji had reported gloomily, brushing her tail roughly and sending a spray of droplets. “I was just sent ahead to tell you that Miss Aya’s on her way and-“

And more…

“- oh never mind.” Momiji shakes her head, ears drooping. She looks tried, but shifts over to let an excitable looking Aya plunks herself down on to the seat beside her’s. “Hey hey! Reimu! Ran! Iku! Come over here!” she crows excitedly. “Look at this!” Aya thrusts a sheet of something into your face before sweeping the table clean of batteries. Before you can protest, she slams the sheet dramatically onto the table with a thud. It turns out to be a map and marked upon it…

“I found one! An entrance to the netherworld that’s not twenty meters under a hot spring!” Aya exclaims gesturing excitedly. “We can get Suika to stop digging now!” Now that’s got everyone’s interest, even the man with the glowing Axe sidles over and peers at the fabric.

“That is convenient…’ Ran comments folding her arms. “We had hoped to open the boundary from here to there directly but…”

You couldn’t- you just couldn’t form the image of “there”. In short you had to know where you were and where you were going to with some fine detail, which complicated things- especially for Suika, who had to dig down manually. A general consensus, especially since that playing around with the density of the rock with such high water pressure from below would probably end with disaster.

“I suppose I’d better take a look then?” you offer warily. Perhaps….just perhaps if you could see for yourself…?

Ran nods in approval, and you shrug, as your friends and family rattle of the reports of things done.
>> No. 21607
“We’ve got thirty good men here,” the militia leader states brusquely, shifting his grip on his axe. “They’ll fight if they need to.” The axe flares, as if in agreement, though it was most probably just a reaction to one of Ran’s tails sweeping too near to it.

“Erm….ten…ten thousand and…” Chen counts off, with her fingers no less. “Ten thousand four hundred and thirty seven finished,” Tokiko completes, looking quite satisfied really- despite her loss of home and books. “ye-yeah! Chen agrees, tails drooping. ‘Chen will make more!’ she announces determinedly.

“Well, all of them know how to fight, if it comes to that,” Iku says as the militia leaders nods in approval. “I’ll draw up a list of everything we’ve got at hand then.- if you’ll inspect our ay in,” she turns to you. “ Aya.” She nods as the tengu returns the gesture with a wink. “Ready as always,” Aya grins. “Don’t worry Ran- I’ll ltake good care of your kid! Momi! Help him out on the ground, will you?”

Ran pulls you over as Aya takes to the air. “Here,” she states, handing you something wrapped in cloth. “I want you to make Miss Inubashri power the gap to escape if anything happens, but I don’t want you totally unarmed either. So use it if necessary.”

You don’t really say much, you’re not one for goodbyes after all and you’ll be back soon, and so leaving your table, you follow Momiji, and finally tired and aching, crash through the dense foliage into a small clearing at the base of an unnamed hill.

“This is it?” You ask, as Aya crashes through the leaves above.

“Yep.” Aya nods.

“Isn’t it a bit…small,” Miss Aya?” Momiji agrees, asking her companion with a tinge of disapproval in her voice.

“Nonsense, I got through just fine, I’m sure it goes to the blazing hells! Something bout the air there says “fire!” you know.”

You peer into the crack in the rock, about a meter and a half across at its greatest width, and goes straight down…down…into oblivion. Could you fit a Reimu-tai into this hole? No doubt that it would go straight to the lowest levels (if Aya were to be believed), bypassing the twisting networks of the deep places…but…

“Let’s head back for now.” You suggest, “We’ll discuss it with the others.” A suggestion that Aya agrees to readily- she’s been flying all day and even for a tengu, that’s tiring.
--

“I would prefer it if we go down by this route.” Ran argues firmly. “My mistress’s situation will only worsen with time.”

“But, “ Iku counters with some confidence. “ News is that Marisa-tai has already descended into the subterranean world. Miss Knowledge delved the earth for them till they found a suitable entrance; theirs is more suitable I believe a gradual descent with more space to maneuver.”

You’ve just reported to Ran and already the situation s tense. During you absence, according to Chen- one of Remi’s, whoever she is, fairy maids came over to tell Reimu that Marisa has left for the netherworld. Not really your concern really, asides from Marisa, you did care a little for Patchouli and perhaps even eccentric Alice from your first meetings but…a safer route is always good, and resolving these incidents desn’t have to be a competition, does it?

It comes to a vote and a tie, But you haven’t said your piece yet, have you?

“Heart beating abnormally fast your mouth flaps open for a few seconds uselessly before sound emerges.

“I…I-“ you begin.

Ah. This feels strange doesn’t it? Being involved in this mess? But there’s one thing you could say for yourself.

There was no other answer you would have given.

[] The faster, narrower, vertical route.
[] Marisa’s more gentle route.
[] Search Youkai mountain for the route the Moriya Goddesses exploited.

YuKa?!in…In$%ter)l*7ude %^(8Corrupt^^#$....

You’re tired, yet you want to move, and yet you don’t. One bleary eye flickers open, followed by an infinity of eye flickering open. Some of the tear blood endlessly into nothingness.

Had, he…escaped?

You try to move. Give it a shot, but you can’t. Yet you can. Or perhaps not. Or maybe so.

The boundary, it’s unraveling, or its winding up, and either way you’re stuck, but you’re not stuck and…your head hurts.

A crème caramel would be nice now…

[] Strain against the boundary.
[] Relax and move with the boundary.

---------------------
Well. That was "fun". I've little idea how to write this sort of preparation scene and on a final look through I feel its jerky and unsmooth...Not really my best I think.
>> No. 21608
The update was fine except for some technical issues like spelling and punctuation.

[X] The faster, narrower, vertical route.
[X] Relax and move with the boundary.
>> No. 21609
[X] The faster, narrower, vertical route.
[X] Relax and move with the boundary.
>> No. 21610
> Glowing Axe Guy
...

[X] The faster, narrower, vertical route.
[X] Relax and move with the boundary.
>> No. 21611
[x] The faster, narrower, vertical route.

[x] Relax and move with the boundary.
>> No. 21612
[x] The faster, narrower, vertical route.
[x] Relax and move with the boundary.
>> No. 21613
[O] The faster, narrower, vertical route.
[O] Relax and move with the boundary.
>> No. 21614
[B] The faster, narrower, vertical route.
[B] Relax and move with the boundary.
>> No. 21615
[X] The faster, narrower, vertical route.
[X] Relax and move with the boundary.

Stay calm Yukari, we're on our way.
>> No. 21616
[z] The faster, narrower, vertical route.
[e] Relax and move with the boundary.
>> No. 21617
[x] The faster, narrower, vertical route.
[x] Relax and move with the boundary.

Two-pronged attack.
>> No. 21618
[x] The faster, narrower, vertical route.
[x] Relax and move with the boundary.
>> No. 21639
On reflection, my quality has been declining for quite a while now. I've got ideas for starting and ending, but little-to-none in between.

Either way, I've some business I really should devote full attention to, so I'll be preoccupied for a week or so.

Thank you for reading so far, criticizing and providing good ideas, so please do have a good week.
>> No. 21640
>“Have you heard of anyone getting lost on the way to Mayohiga, Suika?” you continue on, heedless. At this point, however, Suika is looking decidedly more sober- and if you could have been a little more perceptive, a little more worried to boot.
>Shock. More specifically, shellshock, you had been told later, by the mysterious silver haired lady who sat at your bedside, clipboard in hand. She had forced a foul tasting concoction down your throat- for the nerves- she had said, and had departed as silently as she had arrived, leaving you to mull over the recent happenings.
>You seem to remember insisting to a grim faced Reimu, who, at the time was holding you down with all the physical strength she could muster, that her border had been broken- over and over again, while Suika had hurriedly and anxiously explained what in the world just happened. You had gotten the idea that away, was the best place to be…many strong little hands hand lifted you, and and…well…here you were you guessed. You did seem to remember one last thing about pointing hysterically at the luggage though…Both yours and Yukari’s…

This. Do you see it? The way the scene suddenly changes without, not only any indication, but also no interaction of the MC. Stop it. Seriously. It's like, you didn't know what to write and threw anything to change the subject of the update. And that makes it look broken.

The same thing happened when the plot moved to the Kyoto-arc. You should have at least written the MC phoning the police, that way it wouldn't look to wierd after the scene changed, and making just one single mention of what happened (or what should have been written), during the conversation between the MC and Mary, doesn't make the scene change smooth.
>> No. 21648
thanks. It is something to think about.
>> No. 21654
>>21640
This, the scene transitions of this story have always thrown me off guard, generally when you're moving to a completely different area or character it might be a good idea to add at least a separator line like so.

---

Makes it considerably more easy to see where breakpoints occur.
>> No. 21655
>>21654

Actually, I wasn't talking just about a separating line.
>> No. 21679
>>21655
I know, you were talking about making it clear in text somehow that there's been a scene transition. I'm saying that besides that, he should also use a metatextual method for clarity's sake.
>> No. 21817
Updates.
>> No. 21818
>>21817
It is believed the writer does not know yet about the new site.
>> No. 21830
>>21818

He does. >>/th/93203
>> No. 21833
>>21830

That was posted before the site went down.
>> No. 21835
>>21833

That's right. Should have checked the date before posting. Self sage for failure.
>> No. 21957
File 125241437075.png - (899.02KB , 1000x821 , Aya Momiji.png ) [iqdb]
21957
Site's back up i see.
Good to be back.
During the absence, I've thought about some things, about effort and creativity- I enjoy writing, and I feel that the quality deteriorated, as I didn't enjoy it any more- becoming a chore.

Still, I do enjoy wring and drawing- and I'll try to do my best at every thing I set my hand to.

Thank you for sticking with me thus far.
----------
[] The faster, narrower, vertical route.
[] Relax and move with the boundary.

“I vote that we go down that damned hole out the back.” You state firmly. “If anyone can get down that thing safely, I am sure it will be you.” you continue speaking, hoping that you weren't visibly shaking. The assorted babble ceases utterly as all heads participating in the recent discussion turn to you. A moment of startled silence.

“Tiebreaker~” Chen speaks,raising an arm. “Ran-sama's team wins.~”

“ Speed is of the essence here.” Ran adds, nodding approvingly, her face savagely triumphant, as she eyes the opposition. Reimu doesn't look happy at all, as does Iku, though she seems more a nervous wreck than anything else.

“I still say we go by the bigger way...” Reimu protests.

'You know...I'm a little claustrophobic so can we take the more spacious way down?” Iku pales.

'See? Even Iku agrees with me!” Reimu continues, shrugging at your apparent lack of common sense. “I really want-”

Ran's stare cuts her off. “Please come with me, Reimu. We have to talk.”

“Huh?Uwa-!” She squeals as Ran grasps her sleeve almost forcefully, and leads the miko away. A bright flash envelops the the room suddenly and Aya sighs contentedly, fingers already working on the steel dials of her camera with some force.

“You had to do that?” you ask dryly.

“Why not?” Aya laughs. “My last shot on that roll of film. Might as well make it something amusing, hmm? Did you see the look on Miss Grumpy miko's face?” Lips pursed, she fiddles delicately with the metal hinges, and swings the compartment open. The hinges and casing loksurprisingly fragile, for such a bulky, solid looking thing and you can see why. The film is some horrendous amalgamation of modern rolls of film, and late 1800s frame slates. Thick , large and rolled tightly- it needed considerable force to wind- which explained the durable steel mechanism and the audible straining of the device every time Aya wound it.

“See? These one has all the...the,” she pauses, looking at you most apprehensively. “You know? I went over to your side for a bit?”

“I vaguely remember.” you reply dryly, recalling a train ride, and some vomit.

“All here.” she states, coiling the roll up tightly and shutting it snugly into a cylindrical case. “I've been using the same roll for quite a while now- I've been wondering to save this roll for something special but- heh, when a shutter chance comes, you take it. And well ahhh...” She pauses, looking slightly lost. “Ah...”

“Here,” Momiji interrupts, handing over another large wooden camera. “It''ll probably be useful down there. It's the one Hina broke- cracked the lens and all. We used one of Miss Aya's lenses to fix it. Miss Aya wanted to give this to you, but she seems to have forgotten that it was in my hands.”

“Eh? Yeah-heheh.” Aya hurries to catch up with this sudden, and smug looking interruption. “We can't lose the guy with the Scroll of Teleport can we?”

She means your functional gap, you realize. “Where do you learn that term?” You ask. Scroll of teleport indeed.

“Excuse me? I did stay on top of a internet cafe for three days you know?” she smirks. “Under those circumstance, someone would pick up something new here and there hmm?” Ah. So that was the place she was staying on top of in that crow infested lean-to.

“And what's this camera for?” you ask, weighing the camera in your hand. It won't win any prizes for looks, but its the sort that looks like it could take a bullet and survive.

“Oh- just consider it a gift-er- from the two of us.” Aya puts a hand around Momiji's shoulder. “It's for when you see anything interesting and-”

Well...you supposed you could scare away feral youkai with a surprise flash of light if you were desperate enough...

“Oh- and take these too.” Iku cuts in, still looking somewhat pale, handing out handfuls of cards marked with “P”s. “Aya- Momi- here you go.” she deposits a stack in each of their hands. “Full power all the way huh?” she asks, in a terrible attempt at encouragement.

“Oh wow, Iku, you look terrible.” Aya comments, all traces of hesitation gone now that Iku's more or less thrown herself into her arms, arms laden with “P” cards spilling over and sending a cascade of the items to the ground.

“I saw our point of decent- I hadn't realize it was so....small...I'm claustrophobic, you know...here...” almost mechanically, Iku deposits yet more of the cards in your free hand. “Here, these will boost your magic...”

You don't really feel anything though.

'Er, I can't use these- I don't have much in the way of magical skills.” you remark, getting silence in reply as Iku totters off. This rather made sense really. A youkai who was used to an unrestricted sky and bottomless ocean would naturally be uncomfortable in a narrow confined space, wouldn't she? Perhaps you should rethink this?

“Ah- I'll get her to lie down for a while,” Aya reluctantly offers , and throwing you a roll of spare film, she scampers after Iku with Momiji in tow, just as Reimu returns, steeping through her own doorway with an uncharacteristically smug look on her face. “Alright! We'll do it your way,” she says, folding her arms. “We'll have to finish up with the preparations, chop chop.” With that she strolls off, snatching one of the gohei she uses from its resting place and exiting her door- and allowing Ran to totter back in.

“Ran-sama!” Chen gasps, running up to her.

“Are you alright?” You ask.”What did you talk a-”

“Don't ask,” she sighs, and steps out, looking more haggard than ever. You briefly wonder what bribe Ran had to dangle in front of your old friends face to get her compliance so quickly. “Let's just finish up- we have someone to rescue, don't we?” She prompts, smiling wearily as she takes Chen's hand in her own- and your as well, startling you for a second. But its fine- you're a family- of sorts after all. All together now...

The three of you step out into the wavering sunshine.


The last of the preparations are carried out a a fevered pace. Iku recovering admirably, strikes a compromise with you, allowing her to be left in reserve at the shrine. You'll open a gap back to the shrine should a need for reinforcements arises- allowing the pale faced girl to leap straight into the front lines- which brings you back to another problem, which is your inability to fly and the inability of anyone present to subvert the obscure laws of magic and carry you. Its funny how the most obvious problem can be so un-obvious sometimes isn't it?

You do resist the urge to slap yourself though. Ran...Ran might have an answer no?

Ran's response to this is an “Oh, I didn't think of that.” That's unlike her really. It's really a statement on how frustrated and stressed your dear Ran was, if such details had been overlooked. Perhaps if you looked close enough you could have seen the minute twitch of an eye, but Ran remains remarkably unflappable, despite her earlier lapse of composure.

'Can't you sit on the gap like Yukari-sama can?” she asks, a barely perceptible hint of desperation entering-her voice. “Give it a go, please? Here-” she pulls out the thing and you feel a surge- her power. The mirror like pane immediately becomes malleable to your touch. Somewhat apprehensively, you widen it, and with some help from Ran, step up and attempt to sit on it, lowering yourself slowly onto its mirror's surface.

You feel no resistance, and with a yelp of fright, you lose balance, toppling through onto hard stone and right onto Reimu's feet in the courtyard, several meters away from your original position. And once more, it seems you've become the center of attention. Red faced and scowling, Reimu takes several steps back, pushing her skirt down- though you 're fairly sure that you haven't seen anything. Besides, common sense would indicate you not wear a skirt if you're going to fly, lest you give people a free peek show, but that rule does not seem to apply here in the sealed land.

“Honestly, taking after Yukari already?” she sighs finally, offering you a hand as the militia resumes work, stacking boxes for transport.

“No. Not really,” you mutter. “Just trying to fly.”

“Oh.” She blinks, just as Ran emerges from the shrines interior, your gap tucked under one arm. You look around, its counterpart- the other end ( though they're technically the same entity- you won't go into details here) lies just behind you, a
>> No. 21958
“Oh.” She blinks, just as Ran emerges from the shrines interior, your gap tucked under one arm. You look around, its counterpart- the other end ( though they're technically the same entity- you won't go into details here) lies just behind you, a meter or so in the air. Reimu develops a thoughtful expression. 'That's the simplest thing in the world, isn't it? Everyone and their mothers could do it. See?” She steps int thin air for a quick demonstration, still keeping a firm hold on her billowing skirt.

'Well, that won't work...”you complain. “I'm only human.”

“Yet you're using this thing?” Reimu replies rather scathingly, studying the gap with some interest. “Doesn't look anything like what Yukari uses though.” She comments. “Besides, you forget I'm human too!' She pats her chest proudly. “If you can use it, doesn't it mean you're magic somehow?”

“Well, just because I know how to use a computer, doesn't mean I have the capabilities of powering one one my own...” you counter, shaking your head and drawing an irritable glare from your old friend. “What are you talking about-?” she asks, her eyes narrowing and taking on a decidedly hard tone. “Well- you've got your electric things and your technology things don't you? So we're even. Aren't we?”

Not really-you think. Shooting out bullets of pure energy and self levitation( not to mention bending reality the way Yukari could) is rather beyond current technology's standards. Still, the commonplace wonders of technology were as magical to your friends here as their magic was to you. You sigh, tapping the hovering gap and watching is snaps shut abruptly, leaving its counterpart alone and safe in Ran's hands.

“That didn't work,” Ran states, approaching the two of you.

“No it didn't,” you echo gloomily. You don't really have to say anything further- you can almost see the metaphorical gears clicking away in Ran's mind, already considering the the implications of this lack of foresight.

“Wait a second here...” Reimu mutters, eye lightening up. “I've just got an idea that just may work- wait here for a bit.” She points to where you stand, now and dashes off, around to the back of the shrine. The assorted men and women milling around the area watch in polite interest, before resuming their work.

“What;s she up to now?” you complain, looking at Ran. She looks like she could use some good tea, that's for sure But that will have to wait.

“Can't say.” Ran sighs. “...I'll carry you and run after them if need be. We were truly foolish to have overlooked something as glaringly obvious as this. If only-”

“It's not your fault.” you assure her. “If anything- it's mine, really. Always being protected and looked after. Really- it must have been quite a lot of trouble for you and Yukari, and now its gotten out of hand. I 'd say we wouldn't be in this sort of situation if I had some spiritual or magical power like Reimu, eh?” you add a little wistfully. “So I'm really really-urrh-” You cease your chatter as Ran grabs your cheeks and pull, hard.

“Really now.” She growls. “Didn't I raise you not to talk this sort of nonsense? Young man- you may be taller than the last time, but don't forget who's the more experienced one here. If you are causing me undue problems,let it be known that I. Will. Tell. You. And if I don't, then everything is fine.” She chides, letting go, much to your relief and embarrassment- you overhear a few snickers and soft laughter.

“Yes, Ran-sama.” you concede.

“Good. Try not to think too much- you can't let yourself be held back by common sense. This is Gensokyo, not the human realm.” She continues relentlessly. “If I were alone in your side of the border, I would place myself under your protection, but over here, please believe in us and rely on us.”

A moment of consideration, and you nod.



Reimu returns not long after your little exchange and much to your apprehension, she's leading along something large and scaly on the end of a leash.

“Good grief- you can't be serious...” you mutter. 'You want me to ride him?”

The old turtle pauses chewing on his leaf for a moment to regrade you gravely, befitting the dignity of his age and status.

“Yeah,” Reimu shrugs. “I was thinking you know- no one can carry you- impossible right? Right?”

'The current limitations of magic deem it so-” Ren launches in a lecture. “But who's to say in thirty thousand years-”

“Yah, yah.” Reimu interrupts fairly rudely. “Anyway- I was thinking, wasn't old Genjii here able to carry me back then?” She pats the ancient shell and you watch in abstract fascination as Genjii responds, turning his head ever so slowly to fix his mistress into his sights, a deep throaty “muhhh?” forming in his throat.

'Reimu, you were seven when you were riding him around.” You state wearily.

'So?”

“You're probably half my weight now- what makes you think he could carry my weight and fly?”

“Oh don't worry, he's surprisingly reliable.” Reimu assure you. “Come on- give it a shot?”

Oh alright,” you concede, seating yourself on the aged creature's shell, feeling fairly stupid. Perhaps it was commonplace for miko to fly around on turtles here but it didn't really make you feel any better. Besides, it was more than a little like sitting on the back of senior citizen- definitely not a good feeling for someone who as raised to respect the elders.

“Muhhh.” Geniji mumbles something.

'See?” You turn to Reimu and Ran, both watching you expectantly. “It's like asking Grandmother to carry a car.”

“Wait. Don't be so impatient!' Reimu chides. “Go on Genjii! Fly!' she slaps the turtle on the back of the shell.

You're about to say something about the futility of the situation but whatever you were about to retort gets lost in your throat as Genjii launches himself into the sky with barely a sound, causing you to swear, bite your tongue and fall off, landing at Reimu's feet for the second time this day. Apparently, the elderly turtle still had some flier loyalty points in him. He comes to rest, on the ground a meter away, a faintly apologetic look upon the ancient , leathery features, accompanied by snickers and outright laughter- most of it from your old friend.

“That settles it then.” Reimu finishes in a most smug manner, grinning at your plight. “Any more arguments?”

“...No.”

--
Things proceed rapidly.

Before you know it, Remu's decked out in an older set of her gi and skirt combination- a modified set with a multitude of pockets sewn into the inner linings, where you're sure a staggering amount of ofuda would be kept till usage. Gohei in hand and her yin yang spheres orbiting her in a slow revolution, she's the very figure of the Hakurei's guardian.

Aya and Momiji had already left, ahead of you, after a brief but intense lecture on how the tengu's camera was supposed to be used. (Which was to point and press the shutter button really.) Aya dressed rather splendidly for a jaunt into the netherworld-in white with orange leaf motifs- and a souvenir from the human realm- sports shorts. Well, something proper for a lady really- flying and the short skirts tengu nobility favors don't go well together if there's a male about and the less elaborated about this the better. Momiji on the other hand, bore the traditional arms of her people, shield and katata, wielding them with a frightening competence, an intimidating sight in her gi and hakama. The both of them, soaring far above towards your destination.

Ran and Chen on the other hand, stand at your sides, flanking you as you move with purpose to the shaft's entrance, where Suika would be waiting in her mist like form, keeping watch on the pit with several of the militia. Personally, you've been fitted out with in an old WWII combat harness that Ran had found lying around in Mayohiga's storehouse, in addition to the multitude of charms and talismans that had been pasted to your bare skin with some old glue. With both Ran's old pistol and Aya's camera holstered securely to your belt, and carrying a bag of walkie-talkies and batteries, you walk there. The gap itself has been relegated from its leather casing to a Velcro pouch for easy access.

The air grows mistier and mistier, as the four of you approach the rock formation- Suika Ran explained, and it coalesces at your approach, forming into an oni-shape before coloring into the actual little oni. “Finally,” she said. “Got sick of waiting.”

“Can't go down unprepared.” Reimu grunts.

“Mmm...” Suika yawns. “Had some good company though. One of them's a brewer you know? ” she points towards on the three men- militia standing guard. “And Aya and Momi dropped by a while back.”

There's no trace of drunkenness or disorientation anywhere, and there's hard glint in the little oni's eye. You personally suspect that she's nervous as anyone else here, oni or not. Though, she does return a worn looking gourd of nondescript brown to the beaming fellow. A drink to calm the nerves no doubt.

“Well, back to the shrine then,” Reimu orders, facing the three militiamen. “Hold the fort and....and don't go into my room. I'll know if anyone does so and things will get really serious- painful. Get it?”

The three shrug and walk off, past you, looking at you warily. A little strange really, but nothing you cannot handle.

Steeping forward, Ran and Chen follow, remaining at your sides. You pull open the bag of walkie-talkies and hand them out.

There's a general murmur of interest as the girl receive one each, along with several spare batteries. From their reactions, one would have expected that you've given them gold bars or something, but then again, many technological items were worth their weight in gold in Gensokyo and many people would never have seen so many technological items in one place before.

“Everyone know how to use them?” you ask, voice going hoarse.

“Press the button to talk!” The girls chorus. You've preset them to the same frequency already.

Then that's it then. There little more you can do to prepare without losing valuable time. Iku has been given a walkie-talkie as well as the Militiaman with the glowing axe- both ready to jump into the gap should the situation demanded it. Shiroko and Tokiko had remained as well, accompanying Iku. Well, you didn't want to put Tokiko in danger, and Shiroko's wild shooting would be more of a hindrance than any help at all in such a confined space. And-

You realize that everyone is looking at you expectantly. Even Reimu, the designated leader of this little incursion.

You realize with a start, that right here, with both Ran and Chen standing respectfully at your sides, you're standing where Yukari should have been standing. A little part of you feels wrong and ashamed for standing there, your sister figure's rightful place of honor, but...By circumstances not choice, you tell yourself.

You gulp, making eye contact with everyone heading down.

“Let's make this a good one-” you say,trying to appear confident. “Let's go.

There's no cheering, or hand pumping or anything as ridiculous as that, this isn't a shonen manga after all, but you feel that they've gotten the message. Backs stiffen and small, if weary smiles appear.

We're in in this together.

--
[] Charge down the shaft with as much speed and power you can muster.
[] Descend cautiously.
>> No. 21959
[O] Charge down the shaft with as much speed and power you can muster.
>> No. 21961
[x] Descend cautiously.

We're headed into enemy territory here, best to be careful, especially since we have other people to worry about.

And that's a nice mental image: Aya in sports shorts.
>> No. 21963
[x] Descend cautiously.
>> No. 21964
[x] Descend cautiously.

We'll rush through once we clear the tunnel.
>> No. 21965
>>21957
FUCK YES YOU'RE BACK

[x] Descend cautiously.
>> No. 21970
[X] Descend cautiously.

Can't save Yukari if we're dead.
>> No. 21974
[X]Descend cautiously.
>> No. 21976
[x] Descend cautiously.
Welcome back, ????.
>> No. 21977
[B] Descend cautiously.
>> No. 21978
[x] Descend cautiously.
>> No. 21982
[x] Descend cautiously.

Conserve energy and strength until absolutely needed.
>> No. 21984
[x] Descend cautiously.
>> No. 21990
[x] Descend cautiously.
Good to see you back, ????.
>> No. 21995
Hooray!

[ze] Descend cautiously.
>> No. 22092
File 125285038538.jpg - (871.65KB , 1150x1482 , 地霊殿の 戦い.jpg ) [iqdb]
22092
Hopefully, I've done Yuugi justice here. I've always found her to be a great character- and one of the someones to base my philosophy of life upon.
地霊殿の 戦い
-------
[] Descend cautiously.

The group descends cautiously- with an unspoken agreement between all participants.

Something soft and squishy squeals urgently as it impacts your cheek- flapping off into the darkness of a crack in the rock before Ran could eliminate it with a controlled blast of energy. The enclosed space is hell and everyone knows it. Who could tell how long since you've seen the brightness of daylight? Had it been a few minutes or a few hours or even a day? In the dim yellow lights of the torches and Reimu's weakly flickering ofuda, haggard weary faces stare at one another, grime stained and sweaty. But still you push on, with Aya's testy guarantee that she felt moving air far far down below, a vaguely offended look upon her dirt caked features as if accusing you of daring to question her judgment. And as if to prove her right, there's a faint boom far below and a gust of air hits you, howling mournfully in the enclosed space.

And it was hot air by the feel of it. You were fairly certain that Aya was regretting bringing along that nice blouse today- and Momiji in her thick robes and especially Ran with her tails. The faint smell of damp fur fill the air, adding to the fun. You note that Reimu and Chen are beginning to back away from Ran now, something she endures with saintly patience.

A significant portion of your enthusiasm and good cheer gone, you cling tightly to Genjii's shell, where improvised handholds had been carved into the aged ivory in generations of Hakurei Maidens past. Meters upon meters of untouches rock fills your vision, not to mention an overwhelming will sapping darkness, that is the underground. You' were desperate, for something- anything, to show that you've made some progress at all and that you weren't stuck in some spatial loop or something. Then, you hit rock bottom. There's a moment of silence then, inevitably-

“ Oh very Good job AYA!” Reimu growls, “If you could read the wind as well as you sniff out useless trivia, maybe we'd wouldn't have to waste so much time. Grimy and irritable, your miko friend squares her shoulders, arms crossed, giving Aya a venomous glare.

Aya, having lost her easygoing demeanor several hours ago, replies in turn, raising her chin a little higher to take advantage of her greater height. “Hey! Easy for you to say,- you can't read the wind, so don't think its a cakewalk!” She scowls, turning an edgeways glace towards Momiji, no doubt for support and encouragement- but from your experiences, girls with this sort of expression are not the most supportive or encouraging of people. Momiji isn't an exception, though she opts to stay out of it.

“Look- look! Look!” Aya exclaims hoarsely. “Air flow! See?” She grabs your hand, and almost drags over over to a crack in the bedrock. She's right, there's a light trickle of air, something uncomfortably warm, venting from the crack.

“ Say something!” Aya shakes you, eyes narrowed and angry. “And-”

“Hands off.” Ran intervenes, hand clutched tightly about Aya's wrist.

“I-”

“Be quiet. You,” Ran continues, and giving Reimu a reproachful look as well, “both of you, will act appropriately for your age. Am I clear?”

“But, we've wasted so much time!” Reimu complains, “You were the one who wanted to descend as quickly as possible-”

Am I clear?” Ran repeats.

“...Yes.” Reimu gives up, obviously in no mood for an unwindable argument.

“Yes...sorry.” Aya mumbles, relenting and releasing your hand.

Backing off, you rub your sore hand, as irritation spikes up within you. Honestly, hardship brings out the worse side of people sometimes- not that you were feeling particularly forgiving towards Aya at the moment. A part of your maintained that Reimu was quite right; some bird brained girl's half baked ability had lead you to this dead end- and not to mention the tender spots on your hand where her strong grip had constricted about.

“Good.” Ran continues, voice icy cold and terrible. “Suika!”

“Mmmyes?” A mist descends and rapidly coalesces into the little oni, landing with uprising tact, right between Aya and Reimu. “Dead end ah?” she notes, stepping forwards, looking, to your displeasure, meticulously clean- part and parcel of being in a vapor form, you supposed.

“Can you pass through this crack?” Ran asks, pulling a handkerchief from her robes.

“Umm...no problem for an oni!” Suika laughs, drawing irksome stares from both girls. “Alright Here I go! Standing between these two s' making me nervous.” Ignoring Reimu and Aya, the little oni dissolves into mist once more, and slowly but surely seeps into the crack in the rock. Reminding you of a rather distressing manga you've read once.

“Hmmm- fits just nice-” Suika's diminutive voice echos from the cracks. “ Quite a bit of wind though- troublesome when you're a cloud...I'm going on! Bye!”

“So what now?” Reimu asks sourly, after a moment of pregnant silence.

“We wait.' Ran replies simply. “Chen- come here.”

“Yes Ran sama?” You step aside as Chen, sleepy looking and dirt stained, approaches her mother figure.

“Stand still.” Ran orders, applying the handkerchief liberally with a little water. And with that, begins to rub Chen's face vigorously. “Aww....” Chen's ears droop at the prospect, but submits rather amicably, while the three remanding girls look in in disgust and amusement. “Don't laugh-” Chen mumbles, looking straight at you. “You're next-” she threatens feebly.

Right. How old does she think you are...oh.

Taking the cue, you back off, patting Genjii's shell absentmindedly. Good old Genjii eh- with its inhumane patience. Nothing is as patient as a turtle. With a soft “Muhh?” the turtle gazes at your somberly then with great dignity,retreats into its shell, no doubt for a rest.

“So we wait huh?” Momiji's voice comes from over your shoulder.

“ It seems so,” you reply neutrally.

'...ah...Tengu are mountain folk but this is pushing it...” she sighs.

“Yeah?” You think back to the fort's massive network of tunnels and galleries, practically spanning the entire height of the mountain- and how preferable that would have been to this. “Heh, you're right. Take a seat?” you offer, patting Genjii's shell.

“Thank you.” Momiji answers simply, after a moments hesitation.

It's a lull in the “action”, really, though it seems the moments tick on while waiting for Suika's return. Momiji rests beside you, while Aya and Reimu exchange glare- both sufficiently cowed by the calmly grooming Ran to utter anything overly hostile. You had a bit of an idea though, and with Momiji's help, you summon your control over the gap.

A rather odd thing at this moment- but tea would be nice wouldn't it?

Though as Momiji closes her eyes to direct her magic towards the gap, she stands up suddenly, all concentration lost, eyes wait, tail erect and ears up- mouth open in a soundless howl of pain.
>> No. 22093
“Gah! Hot HOT!!”she yells leaping into the air, her thin dry hemp sandals smoldering, tears forming in her eyes as heads turn towards her direction- oh forget that! The soles of your feet are beginning to burn now and you leap into the air, crashing onto Genjii's shell with a yell of pain and fright, leaving the ground with a sickly wrenching sound as the rubber soles of your shoes melt and stick to the rock.

“Everyone!' Into the air now!' Ran orders, lifting Chen up effortlessly and setting her adrift with the nekomata's own flight ability, and taking you by the hand, as you fight down tears of pain upon Genjii's back. Well, Reimu and Aya don't waste any more time taking to the air as well- quarrel all but forgotten. The air's getting hot now as the rock glows a deep cherry red- scant seconds after Aya's geta leave the ground wooden supports blackened and charred.

“Ayayaya! This is interestin-oh $^&&” Aya swallows an obscenity as the rock expands with the heat- raising the temperature to blistering levels and with a dreadful bang- splits open the crack in the rock. And with a howl of rushing air- a great venting of dreadful air from the hellfire below.

You tumble about in the updraft, gritting your teeth against the scalding air and clinging on with all your might- then Ran is there, a protective sleeve flung about yourself. Your vision obscured, you catch Momiji crouching in mid air behind her shield with Reimu along side her and Aya taking a great deep breath before Ran's sleeve envelops you fully, shielding you from the superheated air.

You could barely stand it. The overwhelming howl of air and the terrible bangs of the cherry red rock. Nearly deafened, you almost collapse into Ran's arms, but you endure, gritting your teeth and holding on for dear life. The howling would have to stop eventually, you reasoned, that terrible all consuming noise- and strangely, most strangely, you swore that you could hear someone's familiar voice yelling something over the great howling.

“-aaarrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkku!!!”

Not the first time its been yelled over the course of this day, no doubt.

Too much abuse, you imagine- being superheated so many times in such a short space of time hadn't been very beneficial to its structure. With one final bang, the entire floor- and more asides gives way. A terrible sight to behold, as you peeked over the hem of Ran's sleeve.

In retrospect, you could never really decide if that was a stoke of fortune or not, but still, at that time, while you were frankly scared out of your wits- the sigh of civilization was a welcome one.

It took an eternity for the debris to fall clear of your vision, but you gasped as Ran pulled away from you, slightly charred sleeves flapping in the hot air, Chen at her side. “I never knew this was here.” you wondered aloud, as Genjii dropped like a rock, diving clear of boulders and debris. You sensibly suppressed the urge to pull out Aya's camera though- there was a limit to your wonder after all.

A great city, alight in the warm glow of lanterns and candles from windowsills appears before you, amidst the chaos of the rock fall. You turn about, just a quick look. Behind , the great cavernous ceiling, a part of it still red hot, where something had stuck, heating the rock to such an end. You watch in abstract fascination as the debris falls and falls and falls towards the city below, taking an eternity, until one crashes into a tower, with a massive roar.

And not just this fascinating sight, you thought, as Aya streaked past you swiftly, happily in her element of open (to a point) air, Momiji as always close behind, dodging and weaving between the falling rock. And, “There!” a voice calls, in your ear, as Reimu speeds past, Ying-Yang orbs orbiting her lithe body. You squint.

There!

Amongst the highest towers- flashes of light and yells and screams.

Five pinpricks of light dodge and weave between the great structures, discharging bursts of danmaku and stars- four of them, aiming at one. Spinning and weaving through the complex patterns with an air of ease.

“It's Marisa.” Ran's voice vocalizes through the walkie-talkie.


“And company,” Reimu adds. “Let's go help them!” she exclaims, turning her head to look at you.

“Lets.” you reply, before raising your walkie talkie to your lips. “Let's go, Ran!”

“Very good,. But stay back a bit!” Ran warns, before the line goes silent, save for the sounds of discharging energy, and a great boisterous laughter.

“Aya here! Almost there!” Aya's voice calls out. True to her claims of being the fastest, she's sped far ahead of the group. ”They're fighting -oof!” she's cut short by a horrible thudding sound, like someone kicking a football.

“Hey! A tengu! Haven't seen of of them for a while' An unfamiliar voice calls out, garbled and raspy. “And what's this thingy?”

The line goes dead.

“Grr...let's go catch that troublesome Tengu before she gets herself into deep trouble.” Reimu sighs. “Go Genjii!”

...And Momiji too. You added silently, as Genjii “Muuhh”s in acknowledgment and speeds up.

--
The great towers rear ominously, even to the cavern's ceiling, while the fight shows no sign of abating. Rounding the corner of the one of the great structures, Reimu along side you, you nearly let go and tumble down into the abyss as something thoroughly large and laughing flies past you without pause,- and far behind, rounding the corner a gold yellow streak and a reddish blue one, both yelling at one another.

“You had to miss! Marisa! You're going to bring the roof down on us!”

“Well- fat lot of good your dolls are doing!”

You watch as the laughing lady, a single blood red horn illuminated by the blasts of energy, swoops past again, doing a complex flip and sending something- right smack into you. With a quick motion, you catch it- and a doll, looking rather dazed (in spite of its mechanical nature) lands neatly in your hands.

You look up, just as a great gout of fire bursts forth from the pages of an open book, being held aloft by no decernable means. Followed closely by its mistress- someone you recognize at last- traveling more sedately than Marisa and Alice, with several more books traveling about her body in orbits. She looks tired, not to mention a little charred. You try to call out to her, but Patchouli speeds by, giving no indication that she's noticed you, followed closely by yet another stranger, a child? Though he proportions seem more suited for an adult, speeds past, mechanical seeming limbs sprouting for a backpack on her back, and bearing a toy like hand cannon with a boxing glove hanging from its barrel.

“Nice try! Missy!” The laughing lady hoots and waves a hand almost dismissively, with dolls still clinging to her hair. She's holding a sake dish in the other, its contents sloshing about and illuminated a searing yellow. “But not good enough to stop me!”

“Noted.” Patchouli calls after her, as one of her companion's mechanical arms makes a sweeping motion, hurling something vaguely grenade like towards their opponent. It goes off with a bang, but the lady ducks and takes a long sip from her dish, giving no indication that she's challenged at all.

“Damn it! You're just a third stage boss so just go down easy!” Marisa's voice yells out as Ran appears before your eyes, ascending from the depths bearing a bleeding Aya- nose bleed by the looks of it. Slightly dazed, but still flying of her own accord, Aya needs the bare minimum of support from Ran and Momiji before, being laid down on a convenient support beam.

“Stupid oni. Why do they all hit so hard?” she complains, hand clasped tightly about her nose to stem the bleeding.

“You stay here.” you order, as Momiji and Ran nod in union, leaving Aya to rest moving off to face the opponent.

“...Take care.” Reimu says as well, turning away to look at the fighting- or so as not to show her expression. And leaving you quite unsure of who she was directing that statement to, she flies off as well, orbs orbiting her form like moons.

“Oh, no, not her~!” a little voice whispered urgently into your ear.

“Suika?” you ask. 'Where are you?”

“Here- I got scattered a bit by the explosion- not enough of me left to become me for now...Of all people...it had to be her~...” the little voice complains.

“Who is she?” you whisper urgently, but Suika is silent.

The lady is no longer laughing, and is hovering far above, by the rock ceiling.

“What? So many of you?” she calls. “Che- Who the hell do you think I am?” She challenges as she cracks her knuckles, a sound so distinct that you can hear it even from where you are.

“I'm THE Hoshiguma Yuugi damn it!” With that, she pulls back her arm.


[] Everyone! Dog-pile her!”
[] Run away!
[] A specific character doing a specific action or spell card. You're in a good position to give orders right now, really. (Except for Aya, who is incapacitated)

Feel Free to be Creative.
---------
I've been trying to be less pastel in the drawings.
>> No. 22103
No diplomacy option?
>> No. 22104
>Reminding you of a rather distressing manga you've read once.
This hole, it was made for me!
>> No. 22105
>>Who the hell do you think I am?

[X]Ask Patchouli if that robot of hers has a drill-like mechanism, preferably a big one.
-[X]If yes, tell her she should aim it at Yuugi.
-[X]Yell "GIGA DRILL BREAKER!" in Yuugi's general direction.

Just for the fun of it, but it may surprise her at least. If there are other anons knowing a bit more about TTGL than me, then feel free to expand or change.
>> No. 22106
File 12528674591.jpg - (69.11KB , 1280x720 , 1252472245302.jpg ) [iqdb]
22106
>one of the someones to base my philosophy of life upon
>> No. 22112
[X] "Hey, Suika, if there's not enough of you around to become you again right now... think you could distract her? Would hearing your voice put her off-kilter?"

Might as well pull every underhanded trick we can.
>> No. 22114
>one of the someones to base my philosophy of life upon

You believe life is best spent drunk? We'd be best pals, ????!

[x]Have Suika talk to Yuugi, maybe surprise her, get her distracted while you regroup.
>> No. 22115
>>22105

We have a gap.
We have an Iku.

Why settle for less?
>> No. 22119
[x] Clear back and lay down suppressive fire until Suika recomposes herself while you get Aya out of the danger zone.
[x]Have Suika talk to Yuugi and see if that ends the fight; at worse it'll buy us time
[x] Regroup and prepare for an coordinated assault against her.
>> No. 22124
[~] Clear back and lay down suppressive fire until Suika recomposes herself while you get Aya out of the danger zone.
[z]Have Suika talk to Yuugi and see if that ends the fight; at worse it'll buy us time
[e] Regroup and prepare for an coordinated assault against her.
>> No. 22226
File 125329973227.jpg - (191.39KB , 800x600 , Yuugi.jpg ) [iqdb]
22226
[] Clear back and lay down suppressive fire until Suika recomposes herself while you get Aya out of the danger zone.
[]Have Suika talk to Yuugi and see if that ends the fight; at worse it'll buy us time
[] Regroup and prepare for an coordinated assault against her.

-And smashes it into the solid granite of the ceiling.

And the whole world shudders. ( An exaggeration- shaking the whole of Gensokyo, let alone the entire world with one blow would be an impossibility- even for an oni, though from your perspective at the time, it was a fair description of what you felt.)

Your words stick themselves in your throat as you look towards the shattering ceiling with a kind of abstract, inescapable impending doom kind of fascination- like a stunned cat in front of a speeding car. Instinctively, you follow one of the granite fragments on its course down- till it strikes the tower opposite yours, tearing down parts of the structure as ripping beams and tiles free and spiraling them off into the empty streets far below.

“Ohhhh....I'm just going to shut my eyes now...” Aya groans weakly. “Wake me up when it all over...”

“Th-this isn't the time or place for this! MOVE!” You yell, ire rising to your throat. 'Fly! Whatever!” Just- just move it!” You turn, angling your head for just a fraction of a second, just in time to see the the debris raining down upon the hapless band, scattered and flying for all their worth around the triumphantly glowering oni, like firefly around a lamppost. So much of the falling stone and no . No time.

“Shoot! Shoot!” You very nearly approach the volume of hysterical screaming, as you yell into the walkie talkies. “Don't give her a chance to get her act together!” You continues, desperately alternating between stumbling steps forward, across the beam and looking up quickly to have a quick glance the chaos far above. Had they heard you? Did it matter? You nearly lose balance as much small pieces of earth and rock tumble down- pebbles and sand, but deadly for you all the same, clattering around you upon the beams with heavy thuds.

Perhaps it was going well up there, you wouldn't be able to tell. How much did you know about danmaku fights anyway? You couldn't fly, or fire energy bursts and charged ofuda like they could, could you? Which burst of color came from which person, you could not tell nor do anything about it, asides from hoping that your side was winning. Ran, Chen, Reimu and Momiji, Patchouli and eccentric Alice. Ah and Marsia too.

Seven of them, and only one of her- that oni. Yuugi, as she had announced so proudly.

Funny how it didn't seem so easy. And something else was rather funny...no strange really. Strange how the massive debris seemed to not be falling down upon the subterranean city anymore. The looming boulders suspended mid air, where they hung, swinging slightly. Well. You weren't complaining. You had time now, a little more at least.

'Genjii! Here boy...er...come here!” You call, half leading half dragging the unresisting girl across the beam. “And you!” you snap, brushing past black tresses and tugging on a ear. “Give it some effort will you? And receive a low “mmyiuuphh...” in reply. Something's wrong, oh damn it. And it isn't anything to do with the shots taking out chunks of the masonry just ahead of you.

A concussion, at the very least, if what you had learned in school was accurate. And a laceration upon Aya's forehead from which the skin was already beginning to peel away. The tengu's ( and Youkai in general) natural toughness, you supposed, dragging her reverberant form away. A stone from that height would have given you more than a concussion and a laceration. Perhaps your Grey matter would have been pooling at your feet right now. Not a good thought at all.

“In here!” Suika's voice calls out, still soft and indistinct, though audible. A cloud of mist, barely visible hovers unnaturally by a shattered window. You stumble over, Aya weighing you down and Genjii following loyally, heedless to the battle above. You wince as yet another shot, poorly or randomly aimed takes the beam below yours out, snapping it in a shower of wood. You grit your teeth, stumbling forward with as much sped as you can muster. A frantic “muhhhh!?!” and a sound like a gong rings out and suddenly Genjii is at your back, pushing you , his shell smoldering slightly.

“Can't you talk to her or something??” You yell desperately towards Suika, moving forward with a dreadful weariness. Good grief, you could feel your strength giving out- now of all times and here of all places. “Make her stop- negotiate or something?”

“Negotiate? With one of us?” the misty indistinct voice returned, with more than a hint of incredulity. “ They already started fight'n with Yuugi in open battle, either they lose or she loses- part of the rules for us. We don't back do-” A ball of energy passes through the mist , dispersing it.

“Don't think I didn't notice you, Suika!” a voice calls, almost mockingly.

“Pfft-same old tricks again.” the now barely perceptible veil of mist surrounding Aya and yourself huffs, somewhat dismissively in a tiny voice. “one horned oni shouldn't be that~ strong anyway...” it continues, grumbling, as if the (figurative) world wasn't falling down before your eyes.

“You alright?”

“I'm an oni.” Suika replies, voice tiny, weak and indistinct, as but saying it if that was all she needed. “Can't help you, sorry.” She apologizes. “not...hmmm not thick enough.” She wheezed.

“EhEHH?” someone exclaims.

You look up sharply. Rather unexpected, but welcome- really.

“Is that Miss Shameimaru?” Hina's asks, pale and looking slightly rattled framed in the shattered window like a portrait.

“Yeah- help us in.” You answer, heart going on like nothing else. “She got hit,twice.”

“Eh? Come on then!” Hina replies, every inch out of her element as you are. Her one elaborate bow was ripped, you noted, and there was a wreck of a camera stilled tied around her neck, metal twisted and wood splintered. Aya (or Momija) wouldn't like that, once they found out, but that was the least of your worries at the moment. You were more than grateful for Hina's calmly reassuring presence though, and at that time, you were short on small respites.

“It's a small room, but there should be space for all of us.” Hina gushes, looking at the battle with a sort of mild embarrassment. “Got hit once- out of my league.” She admitted somewhat sheepishly.

The mist floats about yourself almost protectively as you draw closer to the window, Suika doing what little she could at the moment. “Let's get Aya over first,” you suggest hurriedly, grunting under the girl's weight- all lean, slim and athletic, where did all that weight come from? But you manage, somehow.

Hina, on the other hand, displays all the physical strength of the slender girl that she is, and “ooufs” and nearly collapses under Aya, , as a shivering figure in the corner of the little room turns her head slightly, honey colored hair matted and caked with filth, one golden eye staring balefully at you. She looked familiar somehow...

“Who's-”

“Her? Oh Marisa got a little overboard with her- master spark straight. I couldn't leave her there right?” Hina answers unsteadily. “Won't talk to me though...anyway, come in before-”

“Don't move boy!' Yuugi's voice calls. “I'll eh...attend to you soon!”

Ah. She's noticed you. But she's busy with seven formidable opponents, right?

[] Climb into the room.
[] Don't risk it.
[] Feel free to write in sensibly.
------------
>> No. 22227
[X] Don't risk it.
[X] Attempt to lure her attention away from the room.

Not the greatest ideas, but might prevent the current noncombatants from being harmed any more.
>> No. 22230
[X] Don't risk it.
[X] Attempt to lure her attention away from the room.

This is not going as planned... not at all...
>> No. 22231
[x] Don't risk it.
[x]Talk to the Oni. Make Ran proud, keep in mind your Good Manners & Customs.
>> No. 22251
Tablet just passed away.

Won't be drawing for a while it seems.

Considering upgrading to a Bamboo "Fun".
>> No. 22252
>>22251
I'm sorry for your loss.
>> No. 22253
>>22251
There will now be a moment of silence for the passing tablet.
>> No. 22254
 
>> No. 22261
File 125354791611.jpg - (148.33KB , 480x700 , 40581a1e3ad6cdcffa5e9d6133324b15ef326b9c.jpg ) [iqdb]
22261
I'm feeling a bit out of my element here. I guess I need more work on how to write and describe action.
----
[X] Don't risk it.
[X] Attempt to lure her attention away from the room.

“Is this what you lot are fighting so hard for?” The oni's powerful voice calls out, questioningly as the party flies and dodges about her, like so many flies hovering around a light bulb. A trace of mockery mixed with a trace of approval fills her voice, a strange combination really. “Very loyal of you, very commendable.” She nods, as your friends halt in mid flight, obvious as confused, if not more so as you are. But they don't shoot.

A far cry from the taunts and laughter earlier. Either way, it was more or less considered the highest form of discourtesy to attack when the your opponent was talking- parts and pieces of the otherwise useless danamku trivial you've picked up over the years of your association with the Yakumo family. And, as you watch as Ran and Chen exchange puzzled glances ( on account of them being the nearest to you) with each other, and then finally with you, you do realize that the what the subject of this particular oni's attention was.

Or to be more accurate, who the subject of this particular oni's attention was.

Oh come on...you weren't the one shooting damned lasers and fireballs at her, were you?

You're confused, and from the look of Ran, so is she, and from the garbled murmurs and grumbling coming from the walkie talkie strapped to yourself, so is everyone else.

“Usually, the start becoming talky after only we beat them, don't they?” Reimu's voice asks, somewhat distorted over the abused machines, somewhat unsure. “Er...Copy this?” She injects as an afterthought. Probably on the “Since we're using technology, we'd better do in properly and use all the proper terms the nice outsider told you about.” Most of them, derived from old manga and light novels you've lent every now and then.

“ Can't copy that- no paper...didn't bring a brush anyway...” Momiji replies unsteadily. “Do...do we shoot? I don't mean to be rude but...”She trails off unsteadily.

“Hey, hey...' Suika's tiny voice whisper in to your ear somehow managing to convey a tone of desperate urgency. “That Talkie Walkie wasn't expensive, was it?” Good grief? Taking it easy it one thing, but pausing in the middle of a desperate battle chit chat was really, well... uniquely Gensokyo ... Logic truly has a lesser place here. And how would you know about that Suika? Yukari was the one who had purchased the items.

The glittering oni descends, past suspended boulders that she had smashed down earlier and partly out of danmaku etiquette, and partly out of a grudging fear, no one makes any move to stop her, though they do trail closely behind- till Miss Yuugi draws close to Ran, who bars her way defiantly, or perhaps, imperiously, her nine tails fanned out in all her regal splendor.

“And where do you think you're going?” She asks coldly.

“Wha wa! No need to get so worked up,” the single horned oni grins brightly, a smile that is anything but happy. “I just gotta settle something with your boss- one banchou to another, hmm?”

Ran gives her no reply.

“Hey, if I want to fight him, I'll say so, hmm? Oni do not do cowardly things like that. Besides, he's no challenge at all.” Yuugi continues, eyeing you with a kind of hungry stare. “Yep, one boss to another- we'll discuss like civilized humans- if that's how it should be hmm?”

“Well...” Suika begins softly. “You don lie, especially in front another oni...even if I'm a bit erm...gassy at the moment.”

Referring to the species of oni in general, no doubt.

You feel your heartbeat rising, for what must be the hundredth time today, if it already weren't one continues adrenaline overdrive on your body. “Him,” she had said. “Him.” There was only one “him” here, that you knew of and it wasn't Marisa, no matter how tomboyish she was. And once again, you're put on the spot. What was this? Some kind of choose your own adventure- visual novel-eque game where you had a choice of what to say or do?

And more importantly...dare you?

“What...do you want...oni...” You mumble half halfheartedly.

“Not like that!” Suika whispers energetically. “Ya gotta dribble energy- show the oni who's the boss! Jaoo~n! Something like that!”

“You suspect you're really borrowing “credentials” off Suika and Ran, but what the heck, Yuugi's already nearly at your eye level- and she's slouching quite a bit. Boss to boss, face to face. The problem is, you really don't feel like a “boss” right now. You're not qualified really. Ran, Reimu-perhaps Aya. Yukari. Boss material right there. Yourself? Not so much on this side of the boundary.

Still...

“Can I help you?” you ask and regret it at once.

Was that really the best you could have come up with? You berate yourself silently, as the oni draws near.

“Yes you can.” she replies grinning horribly. “One banchou to another hmm?” She repeats, to emphasis her point, whatever it is.

You don't answer, giving her a vague stare. Good grief, do all oni act like the overcompensating actors in yakuza flicks?

“Oh- she's just like that...' Suika trails off. “Miss Personality...pfft...” As if having read your mind.

“Well...er, care to elaborate?” You ask, very nearly quailing under her towering form- like Sanae's Patron Goddess girl- but more manly- er intimidating. Yuugi's tall alright, taller than Meiling if you were any judge of things, and Ran, and the kind of muscular you've read about in the classics and that Suika disproved.

She leans in closer, as if to kiss you, though you've no delusuions about what to expect.

“Listen here, one boss to another alright?” She goes on again- same old. “One of your subordinates, I don't know who.” She pauses, giving the people about a speculative look. “Beat up a very good friend of mine- not to mention Yame and Kisume.” Speaking as she regards you grimly. “No provocation at all, just down the tunnel, blast her with danmaku without a formal challenge and across her bridge.”

She pauses, to let the gravity of the situation set it.

“Now, I can see that ya a good fellow, and that you care for your subordinates, but what kind of banchou do you think I would be if I let this slide, hmmm?”

She leans now, single horn pointing almost threatening at your head. “Help me get a little justice for my cute subordinates, and I'll let this pass- after I give out a well deserved beating of course- but I'll let this pass.” She stops for a breath. “Or if ya rather fight...” she leaves it hanging.

[]...er...Ran's the “Boss” here, Sorry.
[] point to Marisa.
[] Wrack your mind for a solution. ( Write in as creatively plausible as you can)
--------
>> No. 22262
[X]"Beating people up without a formal challenge? Sounds like her, just dont beat her too badly."
[X]point to Marisa.
>> No. 22264
[x]"Beating people up without a formal challenge? Sounds like her, just dont beat her too badly."
[x]point to Marisa.
>> No. 22265
[X] "Blasted her clear across a bridge, you say? Without provocation, you say? No formal challenge, you say?"
[X] Peer around Yuugi to glare at Marisa. Hard.
[X] "You wouldn't happen to know anything about this, would you, Marisa?"
[X] Good gods, what a mess...
[X] "Look, Miss Hoshiguma, I'm sorry. Someone very important to me has been... well, it's tough to explain, but she could be in a lot trouble because of something that happened down here. It's got all of us on edge, and some of us can be a little too excitable. If anyone you know got roughed up because of that, well... you can take it out of the hide of whoever's responsible later, after we take care of business, and if we don't come back here for you to do that, well, you can come take it out of my hide. Your friends will get a full apology from the appropriate... hell, I'll come give them the apology. Just, please, let us go for now; maybe I'm worrying over nothing, but every second that I'm not finding answers is another second that my sister's at risk, and I can't stand the thought that I might be too late, so..."

God damn it, Marisa. Starting trouble where there didn't need to be any, and blasting another incarnation of one of our sisters! Sure she has good intentions, but good gods...
>> No. 22266
[x]"Beating people up without a formal challenge? Sounds like her, just dont beat her too badly."
[x]point to Marisa.
>> No. 22271
[x]"Beating people up without a formal challenge? Sounds like her, just dont beat her too badly."
[x]point to Marisa.

Technically we're kinda the leader in Yukari's place as well.

And Marisa would do something like that, creating needless fights.
>> No. 22272
[x]"Beating people up without a formal challenge? Sounds like her, just dont beat her too badly."
[x]point to Marisa.
>> No. 22273
I dunno, IIRC Oni respect strength and honor, and pointing out Marisa without a second thought would show neither. Not to mention how much it would make Marisa hate you. This is probably a courage test or something. Try standing your ground against her, IMO... Though what you should say escapes me at the moment. XFD
>> No. 22278
>>22273
Marisa already hates us, and we hate her, and telling it was her is just telling the truth, also something that the oni respect quite a bit. Also, what else would you tell her? Take the blame yourself knowing perfectly well that whatever happened to Yuugis friends, we had absolutely no control over what so ever. And shifting leadership to Ran is even worse a decision really, shows that we have absolutely no guts what so ever. Unless you come up with a valid write-in alternative, don't whine.
>> No. 22283
[x] "That sounds like Marisa, but..."
[x] "As her boss, what she does is my responsibility. Do what you must, and I'll apologize to your subordinate personally."

Okay, kinda weird and will be very painful. Maybe this would get Marisa and Parsee points though.
>> No. 22284
>>22278

I wasn't whining or complaining, I was making an observation.
>> No. 22286
>>22283

I think possibly helping out after the thing is resolved would net more Parsee points, but not being an enabler to Marisa's rashness; and MikoSpark's doing a Marisa story already, it's time for another girl to shine.

And it's time that Marisa was made to pay the piper, especially for how Aya and a few others got hurt in the process.
>> No. 22288
>>22286

1) Reference to points != routes. Unless you actually think someone's going to write a Marisa + Parsee route soon.

2) If you think Marisa would get off the hook simply from being spared a little pain at the moment, you're not paying attention. At all. Alice knows what happened, and is her neighbor. Patchy knows what happened, and can tell the rest of the SDM. Aya knows what happened, likes us, and writes Gensenkyo's most read newspaper. Ran and Chen knows what happened, and they are family and will tell Gensenkyo's most powerful youkai who is also family. Moreever, Marisa will know, and to use some OOC information? She has a crush on us.

I'm not saying it's a smart choice - it's clearly not. It's not even right. It is however, keeping in character of someone that makes stupid, painful, and funny decisions whenever there is a vagina in trouble.
>> No. 22292
>>22288

Thing is folks got hurt because of her stunt, and not just the underground folk, but Aya at least if not counting all the little injuries the others suffered.

Yuugi wants someone to be held accountable for things to let us go, we might as well be honest with her.

If this was just a tiny little stunt like she's prone to doing, I'd say leaving it to the others would be alright, but people got hurt and it mucked up progress on resolving a rather serious incident.

And there isn't much the way of people actually punishing her for her stunts in the past.

In short we're the leader and have a larger responsibility than getting our tsundere friend's butt out of trouble she got into.
>> No. 22294
>>22292
As a leader you have a responsibility for everyone.

Yuugi's gonna be pissed that you're pretending to be a leader and you won't take responsibility for your people. Also directing the fire towards Marisa will force Alice & Patchouli into supporting her, we'll be making trouble for them by proxy.

Patch's not gonna like us after this.
>> No. 22295
>>22294

Yuugi asked us who was responsible, and that's what we're telling her; Marisa was the one responsible.

And I doubt Alice or Patchy would condone such foolishness, if anything they'd be yelling at her about the whole stunt.
>> No. 22306
Yuugi's complaints seem a bit odd. I suppose depictions might differ, but in the games at least, danmaku gets exchanged most of the time without or before the combatants talk to each other. (All the fairies that are shot up, almost every midboss battle. For Parsee and a few others, they are their own midboss battle.)

That, and automatically blaming Marisa seems dangerously hasty. She does seem the most likely to do that sort of thing on purpose, but we weren't there. It could of been one of the others, or it might've just been an accident. (Master Spark would cause alot of collateral damage, but Alice's sacrificial dolls would cause alot of damage and Patchy is the original user of the Illusion Laser.)
>> No. 22307
>>22306

Actually Marisa had that in EoSD, Patchy originally had the non-directional laser, which Marisa then stole and used in PCB.

Alice isn't one for excessive power....

That might be a good point, but someone had to blast Yuugi's friends, and people don't get knocked across bridges by themselves or by accident.

So it'd be
[x]"Beating people up without a formal challenge? Sounds like her"
[x]point to Marisa.
[x] "Could you let me double check with her just to be sure? I would rather hear both sides out before making any judgments."
>> No. 22309
>>22307

Non-Directional Laser. Yeah, that's what I meant.

(I ended up using it as a point-blank, anti-boss weapon myself.)
>> No. 22314
By the way, have you guys been reading a different story than I was? I thought we specifically are NOT Marisa's boss, or in fact in any way connected to her little raid group. We just happened to come down at the same time, that's about all.
>> No. 22349
File 125404288325.png - (84.59KB , 212x281 , angery.png ) [iqdb]
22349
I'll be writing a little slower and shorter for a few weeks. Something has come up. I'll still write if able though.

Took some license with this one, as I've tried to follow the spirit of the write in rather than literally.
-------
[x]"Beating people up without a formal challenge? Sounds like her"
[x]point to Marisa.
[x] "Could you let me double check with her just to be sure? I would rather hear both sides out before making any judgments."

It was fairly obvious really, it didn't take much logic to figure out what this particular oni wanted- and who was most ultimately responsible for the severe breach in danmaku courtesy. And it really did put you in a spot here.

Oh put yourself in her shoes for a few minutes, would you? A part of you protests.

Lets see, thinking like Marisa...

You supposed that she would be flying as fast as possible on that broom of her's, uncaring of the people lagging behind. Patchouli, perhaps, feeling a little under the weather, or that equipment laden girl. Perhaps she's saw Yuugi's friends, whoever they are, and thought...”Hey! They look weak and-”

You're biased, and you know it. You weren't here to see what in the world really happened anyway, that short girl with the strange equipment could be dangerously trigger happy for all you knew, or perhaps Patchouli or Alice had something of an unstoppable temper? You were not here, and thus, you cannot know for sure. Bu if only things in general were as simple in practice.

But you won't jump to conclusions here, no matter what your misgivings are. (And no matter how justified or likely.) Anyway, it was just the sort of thing Marisa would do, though, but even if you had wanted to point of Marisa straight away, you would have waited till Ran was far a way at the moment. You're sure she would disapprove and-

“Well? You don't make a lady wait ya know?” Yuugi's rich voice cuts into your train of thought. “Especially, she continues, cracking her knuckles ominously, and leaning over to meet you eye to eye. “-if the lady's an' oni, geddit?”

That is, your mouth mumbles, while your eyes, unconsciously, or perhaps consciously, skim past the n face in front yours, darting far left to the blackened tower, where the golden haired black witch sits, looking more than slightly tired upon that broomstick of her's. This is your mess. Why am I cleaning it up for you? A silent question which you're sure, is fairly secure in the privacy of your head. Stress and exasperation and a general sense of 'I'm sick of your stunts, Marisa- and this is, incidentally, for sixteen years of mutual antagonism.”But you don't say any of it.

“I don't know.” You mumble finally. “Wasn't here to witness anything.”

“Pfft...mouths and words can lie,” the oni goes on, without any seeming reason, before fixing you in yet another severe glare. “But eyes don't.” She licks her lips in anticipation.

“She's the one, eh?” she growls, voice dangerously low. “Good...boy...” She grins horribly, not raising the prospects for a comfortable next few minutes for either you or Marisa, nor anyone else in the general vicinity for that matter.

She doesn't move yet, and neither dare you, but the world is not still at all.

Marisa, astute as always, notices at once and shoots you a look of pure spite, speaking volumes with that split second glance. “Betrayer! You're scum. I hate you!” She calls, before speeding down the tunnel, leaving her three friends staring at you with some emotion.

“Now look here, I don't think you should jump to conclusions here!.” Alice starts frantically, torn between saying her piece and streaking after Marisa. “I- you! Shanghai!--arrgh! We'll talk later!' she screeches finally, and tears after Marisa, leaving one of her dolls to stare disapprovingly at you.

“I will give you the benefit of the doubt....” Patchouli says a little coldly. “ I didn't hear anything from-” But before she can continue, Yuugi lets out a cry, stooping over, cutting her sentence off as she watches with surprise. “Oh...” she mumbles, as everyone else converges to face the oni.

“Stand back.” Ran warns. “She's going all out now!”

Before your eyes, Yuugi seems to grow in size as she lowers her head, eyes ablaze with rage. “Ten seconds head start are up! Miss witch! Fair game! Fair game now! This'll teach you to pick on da people weaker than you are!!!” Crackling almost madly, she launches herself into the air, ablaze in the full and terrible aura of her power and with a cry of vengeance, dives after Marisa with deadly speed, blind to all else.

“Argh!! Damn! After her! Marisa won't stand a chance alone!” Patchouli yells, for the first time ever,( second actually, if you count being addled on aphrodisiacs) losing her composure, her dark hair blow and tangled in from the power of Yuugi's passing. “She breaks off into a string of foreign swearwords for a few seconds before, settling down in mid air. As Ran gives you a concerned look.

Decide. Quickly. A part of yourself screams out.

[] Attempt to halt Yuugi's rampage. Together.
[] Yukari is still the highest priority.
[]Split the group. You'll have to choose which path to follow. You'll have to specify who goes to which group.

-----------
>> No. 22350
[x] Yukari is still the highest priority.

Tough call but it's the truth, We already failed on handling Yuugi.
>> No. 22353
>>22349
I like how we pointed to Marisa without actually pointing to Marisa. Now it feels like a mistake more than choice implication.
And I'm not living with that.

[+] Split the group.
-Ran: go after Yuugi
-You (Genji), Reimu, Chen, Suika(1/x), Hina, Aya: continue on
--Suika: continue to pull herself together
--Hina: if Aya can not move, stay with her in house (outline walkie-talkie use)

In shikigami-speak, one Chen should just about be equal to one Ran.
>> No. 22354
[] Yukari is still the highest priority.

Priorities~
>> No. 22355
[X] Yukari is still the highest priority.
>> No. 22356
[x] Split the group.
-Ran: go after Yuugi
-You (Genji), Reimu, Chen, Suika(1/x), Hina, Aya: continue on
--Suika: continue to pull herself together
--Hina: if Aya can not move, stay with her in house (outline walkie-talkie use)
--If Suika's pulled herself together by this point (Not likely) have her go after Yuugi as well.
>> No. 22363
[x] Yukari is still the highest priority.
Marisa can go fuck herself.
>> No. 22366
>>22363

Even though that might put you at a bad spot with Patchy?
>> No. 22368
>>22366
Patwhouli?
>> No. 22369
[X] Yukari is still the highest priority.

We've already fucked up this situation, but there wasn't much we could do. The important thing to do right now is trek on and save Yukari, since she's the one in the greatest danger - Marisa might get roughed up, but that's the extent of it. After we solve the incident, we can swing by Marisa on the way back and check up on her, make sure she's okay, and figure out what to do - I say that if it turns out that she was guilty of Yuugi's accusations, we tell her she got what she deserved, but at least be sympathetic enough to be grateful for her trying to help us out anyway; if she was innocent, then Yuugi herself will be guilty of exactly what she was so riled up about, and she can damn well sit there and take it when we bring Marisa over to confront her and beat the tar out of her.

Either way, we need to check up on Parsee (lol, metaknowledge), and make sure she's alright.
>> No. 22372
>>22369

Perhaps so, but I think sending 1-2 people to help even things out wouldn't be bad, and it's not as if we're wasting the bulk of our man power. And I doubt we want any possible major injuries on our conscious. Sure Marisa most likely has something coming, but nothing that bad.

That's on top of what our friend Patchy might think of us (She's one of the few that we easily call our friends)
>> No. 22374
>>22372
>and it's not as if we're wasting the bulk of our man power

Well, let's see...there still is Orin up ahead, Satori is next, then Orin again, and finally Utsuho.

Aya is incapacitated, at least for a while, Hina and Chen don't simply stand a chance, Suika is still recomposing herself and Genji can only fly. That leaves Ran and Reimu as the only fighters in the group.

Sure, Aya and Suika are temporarly (did I write it right?) out, but they are out. Not worth the risk, we might reach Satori and Orin faster than Suika can gather her mist self in one place again and rematerealize, or Aya wakes up again.
>> No. 22377
>>22374

That's assuming we end up fighting them, since I'm sure in such a case Reimu will actually try to talk things over. Since this is something too big to just blitz our way through, and fighting is best done as a last resort.
>> No. 22378
>>22377

Better safe than sorry, as they say. We are going to fight Utsuho wheter we like it or not, and Orin has a good chance at being an obstacle. Satori is probably the only one who may let the group pass without much incident, though there still is a chance.
>> No. 22422
[] Attempt to halt Yuugi's rampage. Together.
Letting a childish rivarly getting in the way of your mission? How inmature, anon.
>> No. 22423
>>22422
>Failing to realize our mission is to save Yukari as fast as possible
>inmature

...
>> No. 22424
>>22423
They already failed to stop Yuugi with a combined attack, what makes you think that those three will be able to handle her on their own?
They won't, we'll just lose them to gain a few more minutes and, this being stage three and all, I don't think that this strategy will pay off on the long run. Specially when we end up facing Utshuo on our own because everyone else was left behind.

[] Attempt to halt Yuugi's rampage. Together.
>> No. 22425
>>22424

It isn't "saving a few minutes" going by the fact that our entire fucking team failed to take her out just now. Trying to deal with Yuugi is stupid because we're in no position to do it - chasing her is going to waste a lot more time than a few minutes, because she clearly can stay in the ring for ages, and it will only result in our whole squad being worn down, tired, and frustrated when facing Okuu. Further, Yuugi and Marisa could be running off to god damned anywhere, maybe even opposite the direction we're headed, and it could potentially be filled with more traps and problems for our team to deal with. Tactically speaking, pursuing Yuugi is one of the worst moves we could make.

We entered without Marisa's group, and we weren't counting on their strength in the first place. Marisa's life isn't in danger, she's just going to get roughed up a little if she loses, and if Yuugi's accusations are accurate, well she deserves it; if Yuugi's wrong, it's still a lower priority than saving Yukari from being trapped in the border.
>> No. 22435
File 125465259747.jpg - (161.88KB , 446x373 , bbcc1d18a7742cf59dc67f942856f15c4163845d.jpg ) [iqdb]
22435
Still, busy, still no tablet, but I'll try not to sacrifice a good story.
-----
[] Yukari is still the highest priority.

“Then this is where we will part ways.” Patchouli answers coldly, turning away from you.

“...Best of luck.” she says without much emotion. A stark contrast to the rare passionate outburst a mere moment ago. With that, she clutches her tattered cap tightly to herself, picking up speed as she summons a subterranean gust to carry her away, in pursuit of Yuugi.

“Eh...looks like I'll have to go too, human.” The girl in blue says, throwing aside the faux rockret launcher with a sigh. She says nothing more as she takes to the air and follows.

“We should move as well,” you begin, a feeling of obscure guilt welling up in your chest. It just didn't feel very right to leave Marisa to her comeuppance, or refuse Patchouli's request for help against Yuugi. But then again, it didn't feel very right to leave your sister figure, wherever in the boundery she was, to languish alone. Not if you could do anything about it. Priorities, you see. And if the denizens of the underworld were anything as potent as Yuugi was- you'll need everyone's power.

“ Ah I guess I'm following too?” Hina's confused voice asks, though she's rebuffed rather firmly by Ran.

“No. You stay. Take care of Miss Shameimaru.” Ran's rather strained voice rings out, perhaps a tad louder than it should rightly be. “Give her one of the walkie talkies.” She commands. “Chen.”

“Yes, Ran-sama.” Chen answers quickly, more perceptive of dear Ran's temper than her personality would suggest. She quickly shoot past you, and begins sticking ofuda of the protective variety to the walls. We really did come prepared- not that it did much good.

“Here.” you mutter, handing one of the spares to Hina. Sufficiently cowed accepts it without much of an argument- and more enthusiastically than you would have hoped, holding it delicately in one slender hand with an expression of abstract wonderment on her face. “Tech-no-lo-ji, huh?” she mutters lightly.

“It's already set. Press the button and talk.” you instruct, repeating the instructional phrase with a kind of vague monotone of one who has said this far too many times.

“Oh! Have a safe trip then!' Hina says airly, as if she weren't stuck in the midst of a massive subterranean battle. “I'll just stay here then- and watch out for....well...I'll just keep an eye open.”

With Hina's rather shaky promise in mind, you depart rather wearily steadying yourself on the turtle's shell with a little help from Ran. You're uneasy and bone tired, not to mention edging on hysteria- you're out of your league. All you'll have to do is press on and wait for shock and breakdown to set in. Though, not if Ran and Chen have anything to say about it. They fly close to you, alert and ready and their presence is blessedly reassuring. With Momiji's in the lead, using her abilities to smell out the best route down this wretched hole and Reimu flanking her, the group begins to pick up the pace once more, leaving the subterranean city as a shrinking image far behind.

Aya, you were confident would recover eventually- Tengu are hardy creatures after all, with Hina to look over her and Suika, spending time to find all the little bits and pieces of herself that should theoretically be essential for a strong and healthy oni bodies and have gone missing. In her mist form, this was less of a problem- but it couldn't last long. Even a mighty oni had to reform her material body eventually. And if all those essential little bits and pieces weren't there...

But Suika, like all oni were tough rough and ready, and nearly as unkillable as cockroaches. One day, she would look back at this, take a long drink and laugh about it, or so Ran would reassure you. So, she had said, the one you should be worrying about is yourself. Fragile and less than formidable. It's so sadly funny that you would have laughed had you the energy.

The group passes parts of the rock ceiling, shattered and crumbled from Yuugi's terrifying raw physical strength- she must have done so several times in the past, you muse, looking about the strange handiwork of strangely ornate bronze chains with great interest. In fact, its probably what saved the lot of you. Someone, hopefully fairly attractive and pleasant, had seen fit to stringt a vast network of chains through the ceiling- a massive undertaking, considering the amount of effort needed. The massive debris had never crashed down the way they were supposed to- thank the heavens for that.

You supposed, that whoever was in charge here, didn't like the idea of her (this is Gensokyo, mind you, and the female to male ratio is rather off.) nice underground city being crushed under several million tons of debris.

“Fairys. There.” Ran hisses. “Ascend.” A firm hand takes of of Genjii's carved handholds and begins guiding yourself upwards. Far below, the tell tale flickering of fairy lights form a stately line, disappearing off into the gloom. “That's a lot of them,” you breath. And they're off into the wrong direction.

“They're running away!” Reimu announces over the walkie talkie, her voice betraying her stoic exterior. She actually sounds surprised.

“What? Oh Wow! This is awesome! I can hear you Reimu!” Someone's voice booms out. Hina's you assume. “Wait till Nitori gets her hands on this!”

“They smell....scared!” Momiji observes. “But so many of them at once?”

“Faeries rely on numbers and massed firepower- but even an army of them would have reason to fear our friend, Miss Yuugi.” Ran states seriously. “Everyone down this hole would have heard her temper tantrum already- and most of them would be getting as far away from the source as possible. We should press this advantage.” She advises, eyes aglow, like so many creatures with night vision, looking on as Chen lashes aside the impetuous few that drew too close.

As if to emphasis her point, an unearthly roar echoes down the tunnels, making the little fairy processions pick up some speed in their flight And you'd best take the cue too.

“Come on, lets pick up some speed..” You mutter, throat dry and voice hoarse, into the walkie talkie.

“Got it.”

“Let's”

“Alright!”

“Sure!”

The calls of affirmation echo out, seeming to hang mournfully in the air.

“...Not you Hina. You stay.” You add finally. Scatterbrained? “I'll gap you later.”

Not waiting for a reply, you follow Momiji's lead down the rapidly widening tunnels, Ran and Chen, as always, steadfast at your side.



In retrospect, perhaps you could have put your study skills to good use. Perhaps, you would have noticed that faeries fleeing in disorder tend to scatter in every conceivable direction, not fly in nice straight lines down a linear path. Perhaps that that Nekomata's hit and run tactics would not have stung you and Ran into pursuit- always darting in and out from the shadows, firing off several bursts of danamku and then pulling back into the mass of faeries, or into the shadows.

Perhaps you should have taken greater note that despite all of Chen's attempts to negotiate, the other nekomata, a sleek black twin tailed cat, perhaps overly well fed, would not deign to answer, instead taking special care to take a swipe at Reimu's long sleeves or Momiji's tail, agitating and stinging.

The scenery changes, though you're barely aware of it.

The faeries retreat carries on far below, though some of them, pale and ghostlike swoop in on the offensive as fell. Odd looking, but nonetheless, fairies. They're quickly dispatched, as the nekomata dives out of sight, yet again.

“If I see that ***damned cat one more time!!!” Ran snarls, fist clenched, “I'll-” she pauses, turning towards Chen who has a pleading expression upon her face. “Er- not you, Chen- HER!”

She strikes hard, one clawed hand extended and grunts satisfactorily as it returns reddened and dripping, sending the nekomata off, and watches with a cold fury as the offending cat flees with a wail and a quick retreat.

'Follow!” Ran commands- and no one is in the mood to disagree. With Both Reimu and Momiji speeding off into rapid pursuit, Reimu with tattered sleeves and the kind of fury only a miko with torn sleeves could muster, and Moiji with the kind of enthusiasm dogs have for chasing cats- any more enthusiastic, and you would hear barking.

It was so obvious. Perhaps, had Patchouli been with you, she would have noticed- or maybe had Ran been in a calmer state of mind and not sick with worry and concern for both you and Yukari. Or perhaps if Momji hadn't stopped thinking for a second.

You speed up, duck between stalactites and then-

A nearly blinding flash- thank heaven for transition lenses, though, with your companions, a fox a cat and a wolf, youkai with such fine night vision... Ran snarls in pain as she pulls Chen closer to herself embracing her protectively as Momiji, far ahead lets lose a cry of pain and falls, only to be caught in Reimu's arms.

“Damn it!” Ran snarls. “Cowards!” She challenges.

“Eyes...” someone moans.

You say nothing though, feeling immensely stupid and scared at the same time- fumbling for the pistol in your harness yet failing to find it.

“You have been ambushed!” Someone announces, a young lady's voice if you were right. Somehow remaining soft, yet reverberating around the caravan at the same time. What appears to be several regiment's worth ( 20 fairies to one soldier, at the standard combat effectiveness conversion rates.) of ghostly fairies, coalescing into one massed blob in the air- a three dimensional greek phalanx if you will, though noticeably more petite.

“Satori-sama!' They cheer. “Just as planned!”

“Yakumo...Ran.”

A young girl clad in pale blue , with what appears to be an “eye” shaped spherical pendant hanging from her neck floats slowly downward, into view. “You have a sharp mind- but so very predictable.” She smiles knowingly- a familiar gesture, one that Patchouli has graced you with before, though....the girl's thin smile is different though, it's smugger though, more infuriating.

This would be “Satori-sama”, you supposed.

“Yakumo Chen- so refreshingly innocent...Hakurei Reimu...you're thinking of that? Now? “The girl pauses, looking rather taken aback for a moment. “Che- no matter.” She continues, looking slightly less sure now. Heaven only knew what sorts of violence that Reimu was dreaming up now. “And Inubashira-”

“Just as planned!” The fairies echo.

“Momiji. Oh do stop that!' She snaps, inclining her head imperiously. “There's no need to repeat-”

“Just as planned!” the fairies chorus once again.

“Grrr- and you!' She calls, composure slipping. Yes you know- fairies can be such lousy help- though in numbers...

“...I wasn't aware the bridge guardian had a brother? Mizuhashi?” She continues, eyes narrowing. You note with a chill that the eye pendant blinks along with her. “Anyway, you will-”

“Just as planned!!!” The fairies squeal once again- the prospect of a battle they would be winning ( a rarity for a fairy) probably to much excitement for them.

“Ah! Fine! Never mind! Nets! Get them alive!” The girl orders, temper lost. “Don't try to struggle, these is the best hell forged steel we have,” she continues, with fairies on all sides rising up, massive lengths of chain nets borne up by many tiny hands. “We'll teach you to make a ruckus in the Earth Palace, a lesson you won't soon-”

Ran would have described to you later, that the girl had looked at you sharply, eyes, all three of them wide with apprehension, slipping into a ready position already, for some reaction. But for now, the gears of your mind whirr as you think of how to fight out of this. You can't waste much more time, as you hand flashes towards the your harness, as the glow of countless fairy danamku suddenly illuminates the space.

Her mouth snarls open, but you're faster- she can't possibly bark her orders out before you-

[] Like older sister, like little brother. Use the Gap, retrieve reinforcements from the shrine.
[] Like older sister, like little brother. Use the Gap to retrieve Hina, Aya and Suika.
[] Like older sister, like little brother. Use the Gap to flee.
[] Draw the pistol.
[] Draw the tengu Camera .
[] Surrender
[] Give orders. An all out attack.
[] Give orders. Write in something creative.

Feel free to write sensibly.
-------
I've always liked Satori's character, and hopefully, my take would be fairly acceptable.
>> No. 22436
[X] Like older sister, like little brother. Use the Gap to retrieve Hina, Aya and Suika.

Suika~
>[] Like older sister, like little brother. Use the Gap to flee.

Hahaha, nice.
>> No. 22437
[X] Like older sister, like little brother. Use the Gap to retrieve Hina, Aya and Suika.
>> No. 22438
[x]Gap everyone but yourself behind Satori and the fairies' firing line.

Backattack.
>> No. 22439
>“If I see that ***damned cat one more time!!!”

So true... lol

[x]Gap everyone but yourself behind Satori and the fairies' firing line.

I wonder if this works.

But I suspect we might have lost points with Patchy...
>> No. 22440
>>[] Like older sister, like little brother. Use the Gap to retrieve Hina, Aya and Suika.

Wha-?
Aya is injured, Suika is scattered and Hina probably is not exactly rearing for a fight either. If we are to use the gap then rather to flee or call fresh reinforcements.

>>[] Draw the pistol.
Live-action-danmaku, able to piss off everyone involved if it actually works against youkai. Perhaps usable for threatening Satori in that case, but we would have to be serious about it since her mind-reading calls any bluff.

>>[] Draw the tengu Camera.
Trying to blind them, exactly as they did just now with our three night-visioners. May or may not be successful, we just have to use it in the right moment.

My vote would be for blinding them with the camera (Satori's third eye may make it effective) and then either escape a ways back to avoid the chain net or call upon some of those fresh reinforcements from the shrine.
The fairies can be ignored, Orin is slightly injured, Satori is canonically weak in danmaku, their only trumps are the net and having blindshot'd three-fourth of our fighters.
Either way, our joker card (gap) should not be played for a futile attempt of calling upon people currently not capable of fighting.
>> No. 22441
[x]Gap everyone but yourself behind Satori and the fairies' firing line.

A deep strike might work in this situation. Anyone have a better idea?
>> No. 22442
Let's not forget the less immediately obvious application of the gap: as a two-dimensional object, it has has an edge sharp enough to slice clean through any net they try to catch us in, no matter the material. If worst comes to worst, we can cleanly slice our way out without issue.

For now, I'm leaning toward blinding the enemy with the camera, then gapping behind them - or perhaps gapping in fresh reinforcements, to take them by surprise as well. The gap, however, is clearly our most useful tool in this situation. I'll make my vote in a bit, after I give this some thought.
>> No. 22443
[x] Draw the tengu Camera.
Lets hope it works like in STB~.
>> No. 22444
>>22443

I was thinking more about MiG myself.
>> No. 22445
[x] Draw the tengu Camera.
[x] Like older sister, like little brother. Use the Gap, retrieve reinforcements from the shrine.
[x] Give orders. An all out attack.

In that order. Hopefully the flash of the camera will give us some extra time.
>> No. 22446
[x] Draw the tengu Camera.
[x] Like older sister, like little brother. Use the Gap, retrieve reinforcements from the shrine.
[x] Give orders. An all out attack.
Let's see how Satori manages to read the mind of half a dozen of different attackers at the same time.
>> No. 22450
>as the glow of countless fairy danamku suddenly illuminates the space

You guys expect a camera's flash to be brighter than countless danmaku from an army of fairies?
>> No. 22451
>>22450
We have enough time. Even without the flash, we can still perform the latter two and get good results.
>> No. 22455
>>22450

It might work StB style, which would be useful.
>> No. 22458
>>22450
I see someone has not played NetHack.
>> No. 22464
>>22455

Oh. Yeah, maybe...it is a aya's camera, isn't? Huh, had completely forgottent hat game existed.
>> No. 22473
[x] Draw the tengu Camera.
[x] Like older sister, like little brother. Use the Gap, retrieve reinforcements from the shrine.
[x] Give orders. An all out attack.