[Return]
Archived Thread

File 123820657518.gif - (27.16KB , 197x256 , magetarot.gif ) [iqdb]
16771 No. 16771
Okay, so after some consideration, and thinking, and plotting, I've decided to open up a crossover VN here on /others/.

For those of you familiar with White Wolf's World of Darkness, this is a crossover based on the Mage: the Ascension setting.

Before I start, just a few rules/guidelines/whatevers.

One: I've seen how much Anon loves write-ins, so I'm completely willing to work with them. Be awesome.

Two: To answer any and all questions about updates, voting, and the whatnot, my general policy is this: Twelve votes, or twelve hours. Whichever choice is leading by that point will be the one I write up as the character's selected option. This allows for some time for people to come up with ideas and/or a consensus, but isn't so long that we're waiting half a week for an update. Usually. On good weeks.

Three: I usually have about 3-5 days a week to do writings and updates and such. My schedule can be horrendous some weeks though, but when I get an evening off, I have about 2-4 hours to write.

I think that takes care of everything...

Right, well, as they say in Monty Python...

GET ON WITH IT!


Touhou: Advent of Reality Bender


>Start Game
Load Game
Options
Extras

LOADING…

CHECKING FOR CHARACTER DATA…

NO DATA FOUND

PLEASE CREATE CHARACTER

STEP 1: GENERAL CHARACTER INFORMATION

NAME:

AGE GROUP: 18-25 [CURRENTLY LOCKED]

GENDER: MALE [CURRENTLY LOCKED]

HAIR COLOR:

EYE COLOR:

APPROXIMATE HEIGHT*:

*Please define this quantity in terms of a given Touhoe. Example: “About as tall as Sakuya Izayoi.”

BIRTHDAY:

GENERAL MAGE FACTION: THE NINE TRADITIONS [CURRENTLY LOCKED]

>> No. 16779
NAME: Isaac Erongir

AGE GROUP: 18-25 [CURRENTLY LOCKED]

GENDER: MALE [CURRENTLY LOCKED]

HAIR COLOR: The color of love, baby~

EYE COLOR: Grey

APPROXIMATE HEIGHT*: As tall as Suwako

BIRTHDAY: Eh...is this really relevant? In any case, 14/5/1986 (dd/mm/yyyy).
>> No. 16792
NAME: Matthias
AGE GROUP: 18-25 [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
GENDER: MALE [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
HAIR COLOR: Black with a Mallen streak
EYE COLOR: Green
APPROXIMATE HEIGHT*: About as tall as Mokou
BIRTHDAY: 6/6/1986
GENERAL MAGE FACTION: THE NINE TRADITIONS [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
>> No. 16799
NAME: Lucifer
AGE GROUP: 18-25 [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
GENDER: MALE [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
HAIR COLOR: A weak, inconsistent red. Like a pool of rust from the wonders of civilizations gone by dissolved into the a puddle that is all that remains of a mighty sea.
EYE COLOR: Dark, as if all the sky's stars petered out long ago.
APPROXIMATE HEIGHT: Like an old shopkeeper, broken glasses and eyes that have never been able to see what was in store for him.
BIRTHDAY: 04/04/1983
GENERAL MAGE FACTION: THE NINE TRADITIONS [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
>> No. 16801
NAME: Sparrow
AGE GROUP: 18-25 [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
GENDER: MALE [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
HAIR COLOR: Thick crimson/scarlet red. Hardly looks natural.
EYE COLOR: Dark grey.
APPROXIMATE HEIGHT*: Slightly taller than Kourin
BIRTHDAY: 12/01/1988
GENERAL MAGE FACTION: THE NINE TRADITIONS [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
>> No. 16806
NAME: Sparrow
AGE GROUP: 18-25 [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
GENDER: MALE [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
HAIR COLOR: Thick crimson/scarlet red. Hardly looks natural.
EYE COLOR: Dark grey.
APPROXIMATE HEIGHT*: Slightly taller than Kourin
BIRTHDAY: 12/01/1988
GENERAL MAGE FACTION: THE NINE TRADITIONS [CURRENTLY LOCKED]

This looks interesting.
>> No. 16807
NAME: ReijiTabibito
AGE GROUP: 12-13
GENDER: MALE
HAIR COLOR: Idiot
EYE COLOR: Faggot
APPROXIMATE HEIGHT: Get out
BIRTHDAY: Fuck off
GENERAL MAGE FACTION: Seriously, you suck.
>> No. 16808
NAME: Basil de la Cruz
AGE GROUP: 18-25 [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
GENDER: MALE [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
HAIR COLOR: Black
EYE COLOR: Blue-grey
APPROXIMATE HEIGHT*: About as tall as Kourin
BIRTHDAY: 11/11/1986
GENERAL MAGE FACTION: THE NINE TRADITIONS [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
>> No. 16836
>ReijiTabibito

I'm afraid not, mr Dickwad.
>> No. 16863
File 123827088234.png - (48.09KB , 294x346 , 1235446112869.png ) [iqdb]
16863
>ReijiTabibito
>White Wolf's World of Darkness crossover
>as they say in Monty Python...
>> No. 16890
>>16807, >>16836, >>16863

All I will say to these (and any similar comments in the future) is this:

"If you don't like it, don't read it."


>>16779

Actually, it does. Your birthday will affect your ability to perform magic in a given area.

----------------------------------------


STEP 1: GENERAL CHARACTER INFORMATION

NAME: Sparrow
AGE GROUP: 18-25 [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
GENDER: MALE [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
HAIR COLOR: Thick crimson/scarlet red. Hardly looks natural.
EYE COLOR: Dark grey.
APPROXIMATE HEIGHT*: Slightly taller than Kourin
BIRTHDAY: 12/01/1988
GENERAL MAGE FACTION: THE NINE TRADITIONS [CURRENTLY LOCKED]

CONFIRM INFORMATION?

[] YES
[] NO
>> No. 16892
[x] YES
>> No. 16893
[x] YES
>> No. 16897
[] YES
>> No. 16952
[X]NO
>> No. 16980
[x] Maybe?
>> No. 17284
[x] YES

INFORMATION CONFIRMED…PROCEEDING TO NEXT STEP

STEP 2: DETERMINE ATTRIBUTES

PLEASE DESIGNATE THE FOLLOWING ATTRIBUTE CATEGORIES AS EITHER PRIMARY (1), SECONDARY (2), AND TERTIARY (3):

PHYSICAL
MENTAL
SOCIAL

THEN DISTRIBUTE POINTS TO EACH INDIVIDUAL CHARACTERISTIC, BASED ON PRIORITY. PRIMARY CATEGORY – 8 POINTS. SECONDARY CATEGORY – 6 POINTS. TERTIARY CATEGORY – 4 POINTS.

PHYSICAL – STRENGTH, DEXTERITY, STAMINA
MENTAL – PERCEPTION, INTELLIGENCE, WITS
SOCIAL – CHARISMA, MANIPULATION, APPEARANCE

PLEASE NOTE: EACH ATTRIBUTE AUTOMATICALLY STARTS AT A RATING OF 1, WITHOUT SPENDING POINTS, AND CURRENTLY CAPS AT 5. IF AND WHEN THIS CAP CHANGES, PLAYER WILL BE NOTIFIED.

EXPLANATION OF EACH ATTRIBUTE

STRENGTH – Represents raw muscle power. Used for general physical exertion. Example character with high STRENGTH: Suika Ibuki.

DEXTERITY – Represents reflexes, balance, and hand-eye coordination. Used to determine how fast one runs, hits targets, and operates tools and machinery. Example character with high DEXTERITY: Youmu Konpaku.

STAMINA – Represents overall hardiness and resistance to injury. Used to determine ability to take physical punishment and to persist at fatiguing activities. Example character with high STAMINA: Suika Ibuki.

PERCEPTION – Represents awareness of surroundings and ability to notice details others might miss. Used to gather and process information, to remain alert for signs of danger, and anything related to the five senses. Example character with high PERCEPTION: Momizi Inubashiri.

INTELLIGENCE – Represents a person’s reasoning ability, memory, and imagination. Used to find solutions to complex problems. Example character with high INTELLIGENCE: Patchouli Knowledge.

WITS – Represents how well one can think on their feet and react to unexpected situations. Used to determine how quickly a character reacts when surprised. Example character with high WITS: Sakuya Izayoi, by way of her time manipulation.

CHARISMA – Represents a person’s social grace and strength of personality. Used to charm enemies, win friends and allies, and inspire others when the going gets tough. Example character with high CHARISMA: Remilia Scarlet.

MANIPULATION – Represents a person's talent for persuasion and leadership. Used to convince people to do things through trickery, deceit, or force of will. Example character with high MANIPULATION: Tewi Inaba.

APPEARANCE – Represents a person’s capacity to influence reactions by way of the physical body and/or demeanor. Used when you want to intimidate, inspire, or attract others with looks alone. Example character with high APPEARANCE: Kaguya Houraisan.

DO YOU REQUIRE AN EXAMPLE CHARACTER? IF:

[] YES, THEN A CHARACTER WILL GENERATED.
[] NO, THEN PROCEED WITH STEP 2.
>> No. 17323
[x] Physical - primary.
[x] Social - secondary.
[x] Mental - tertiary.

[x] Strength - 4
[x] Dexterity - 2
[x] Stamina - 2

[x] Charisma - 3
[x] Manipulation - 1
[x] Appearance - 2

[x] Perception - 1
[x] Intelligence - 1
[x] Wits - 2

[x] NO, THEN PROCEED WITH STEP 2.
>> No. 17345
[x] Physical - primary.
[x] Social - secondary.
[x] Mental - tertiary.

[x] Strength - 4
[x] Dexterity - 2
[x] Stamina - 2

[x] Charisma - 3
[x] Manipulation - 1
[x] Appearance - 2

[x] Perception - 1
[x] Intelligence - 1
[x] Wits - 2

[x] NO, THEN PROCEED WITH STEP 2.
>> No. 17447
>>17323, >>17345

This the NUMBER of points being distributed to each characteristic, yes?

Because all stats automatically start at 1, WITHOUT SPENDING POINTS.
>> No. 17454
>>17447
It's what's being distributed. So basically the stats are those +1.
>> No. 17584
>>17454

'kay, just double checking. I've had people do it both ways (some give the point distributions, others give the final stats). BTW, in White Wolf, the stat rating for an average human is 2. Just so you know.

And to all those who are still here, I thank you for your continued...uh, voting. No worries though! Just another few steps (2 or 3) and the story'll get rolling...

SPEAKING of Steps...

--------------------------------

POINT DISTRIBUTIONS

PHYSICAL - PRIMARY
SOCIAL - SECONDARY
MENTAL - TERTIARY

RESULTANT STATS

STRENGTH: 1 + 4 = 5
DEXTERITY: 1 + 2 = 3
STAMINA: 1 + 2 = 3

CHARISMA: 1 + 3 = 4
MANIPULATION: 1 + 1 = 2
APPEARANCE: 1 + 2 = 3

PERCEPTION: 1 + 1 = 2
INTELLIGENCE: 1 + 1 = 2
WITS: 1 + 2 = 3

INFORMATION CONFIRMED…PROCEEDING TO NEXT STEP

STEP 3: SELECTION OF SPECIFIC MAGE FACTION

GENERAL MAGE FACTION: THE NINE TRADITIONS

TRADITIONS AVAILABLE

AKASHIC BROTHERHOOD* – Martial artists and mystics that believe in training both body and soul. Tradition Specialty Sphere: Mind. Faction Spheres: Spirit.

CELESTIAL CHORUS* – Clergy who see all religions as pieces of a mystical “One” that was shattered long, long ago. Tradition Specialty Sphere: Prime. Faction Spheres: Forces, Matter, Spirit.

CULT OF ECSTASY* – Hedonists who seek to transcend all mortal barriers thru exhausting pleasures. Tradition Specialty Sphere: Time. Faction Sphere: Mind.

DREAMSPEAKERS – Spiritualists and shamans that commune with the spirits of the Earth. Tradition Specialty Sphere: Spirit.

EUTHANATOS – Keepers of balance, relievers of suffering. Healers and killers at the same time. Tradition Specialty Sphere: Entropy.

ORDER OF HERMES* – The oldest existing tradition of the Nine, with a tradition built upon symbols, languages, and alchemy. Tradition Specialty Sphere: Forces. Faction Spheres: Entropy, Matter, Prime.

SONS OF ETHER* – Scientists that bring new life of old technologies or seek visionary directions of scientific study. Tradition Specialty Sphere: Matter. Faction Sphere: Correspondence.

VERBENA – Naturalists that respect the cycles of nature, and are attuned to life and growth. Tradition Specialty Sphere: Life.

VIRTUAL ADEPTS* – Hackers and computer engineers that struggle to see past the physical to information beneath. Tradition Specialty Sphere: Correspondence. Faction Spheres: Entropy, Forces.

*Indicates that factions with other Specialty Spheres are available.

EXPLANATION OF SPECIALTY SPHERES

A Tradition Specialty Sphere is a given area of magic that a specific Tradition bases its magical practices and principles upon. Because of this, a mage of a given Tradition finds it easier to advance ones’ knowledge and ability in that Sphere than in the others. However, there is a downside: a mage cannot raise other spheres of magic higher than the level of his Specialty Sphere. Example: If a Virtual Adept mage has the Correspondence sphere at level 2, then he could not raise his Matter sphere to level 3 until Correspondence was ALSO at level 3.

REGARDING FACTIONS

Some Traditions have Factions that base their magic off of a Sphere different from that of the tradition. In this case, the Specialty Sphere changes from the Tradition Sphere to the Faction Sphere. HOWEVER, at creation, the mage must take at least one level in BOTH the Tradition and the Faction Sphere. Example: There is a Virtual Adept Faction known as the Chaoticians, whose Faction Sphere is Entropy. Take the Virtual Adept mage from earlier. If the mage were a member of this faction, and had Entropy at level 3, then he could raise his Matter sphere to level 3, even though Correspondence was only level 2. However, at creation, he would have to take at least one level of both Correspondence and Entropy.

EXPLANATION OF THE SPHERES

A Sphere is: a particular element of reality that can be understood and manipulated magically. In common usage, it refers to the given areas of magic practiced by mages.

Correspondence: The manipulation of space and distance. With this sphere, a mage can stretch or distort space, teleport between locations, and extend the ranges of his senses or magics.

Entropy: The manipulation of death, decay and rebirth. Mages with this sphere can command fate itself, and inflict good or bad fortune on others.

Forces: The manipulation of any force that is quantifiable, such as fire, light, electricity, kinetic energy, cold, darkness, sound, and so on. Mages with this sphere can control, transmute, and at high levels, CREATE forces.

Life: The manipulation of life forces. With this sphere, mages can harm, heal, and alter the characteristics of any living thing.

Matter: The manipulation of the inanimate. With this sphere, mages can determine the properties of a given substances, transmute matter (Wood to Stone, for example), and alter the characteristics of any non-living thing.

Mind: The manipulation of the intellect and emotions. With this sphere, mages can read minds, manipulate and project emotions, and even perform the infamous Mind Control.

Prime: The manipulation of magic itself. With this sphere, mages can manipulate Quintessence - the power that fuels magic, redirect and counter spells thrown at them, and reinforce their own magics with Quintessence.

Spirit: The manipulation of the immaterial. With this sphere, mages can speak to, command and detect spirits.

Time: The manipulation of time. With this sphere, mages can know the precise time, warp and distort time, and at high levels, travel thru time.

DO YOU REQUIRE FURTHER EXPLANATION? IF:

[] YES, then pick a subject.
[] NO, then proceed with step 3.


INFORMATION CONFIRMED...MOVING ON TO NEXT STEP
>> No. 17590
[x] VIRTUAL ADEPTS
[x] NO, then proceed with step 3.

For this type of character, this would be the best possible choice, in both personality and power.
>> No. 17594
[x] VIRTUAL ADEPTS
[x] NO, then proceed with step 3.
>> No. 17596
[x] TECHNOCRATIC SLEEPER
I wish.
[x] VIRTUAL ADEPTS
[x] NO, then proceed with step 3.
>> No. 17895
TRADITION SELECTED: VIRTUAL ADEPTS

FACTION SELECTED: GENERAL

SPECIALTY SPHERE: Correspondence

IS THIS CORRECT? IF:

[] YES, THEN PROCEED TO STEP 4.
[] NO, THEN SELECT AGAIN.

STEP 4: MAGIC

PART 1: SPHERE LEVEL DISTRIBUTION

YOU HAVE 6 LEVELS TO DISTRIBUTE AMONGST THE VARIOUS MAGICAL SPHERES. HERE THEY ARE, LISTED AGAIN FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE:

Correspondence: The manipulation of space and distance. With this sphere, a mage can stretch or distort space, teleport between locations, and extend the ranges of his senses or magics.

Entropy: The manipulation of death, decay and rebirth. Mages with this sphere can command fate itself, and inflict good or bad fortune on others.

Forces: The manipulation of any force that is quantifiable, such as fire, light, electricity, kinetic energy, cold, darkness, sound, and so on. Mages with this sphere can control, transmute, and at high levels, CREATE forces.

Life: The manipulation of life forces. With this sphere, mages can harm, heal, and alter the characteristics of any living thing.

Matter: The manipulation of the inanimate. With this sphere, mages can determine the properties of a given substances, transmute matter (Wood to Stone, for example), and alter the characteristics of any non-living thing.

Mind: The manipulation of the intellect and emotions. With this sphere, mages can read minds, manipulate and project emotions, and even perform the infamous Mind Control.

Prime: The manipulation of magic itself. With this sphere, mages can manipulate Quintessence - the power that fuels magic, redirect and counter spells thrown at them, and reinforce their own magics with Quintessence.

Spirit: The manipulation of the immaterial. With this sphere, mages can speak to, command and detect spirits.

Time: The manipulation of time. With this sphere, mages can know the precise time, warp and distort time, and at high levels, travel thru time.

NOTES ON SPHERE DISTRIBUTION

1. YOU MUST HAVE AT LEAST 1 LEVEL OF YOUR TRADITION SPHERE, AND YOUR FACTION SPHERE (IF YOU HAVE ONE).

2. NO OTHER SPHERE MAY BE HIGHER THAN YOUR SPECIALTY SPHERE.

3. AT THIS POINT, THE HIGHEST ANY SPHERE MAY BE IS LEVEL 3.

PLEASE ALLOCATE YOUR 6 LEVELS

Correspondence – Level 0

Entropy – Level 0

Forces – Level 0

Life – Level 0

Matter – Level 0

Mind – Level 0

Prime – Level 0

Spirit – Level 0

Time – Level 0

DO YOU WISH FOR A FEW SUGGESTIONS REGARDING SPHERE DISTRIBUTION?

[] YES
[] NO

PART 2: MAGICAL TOOLS

PLEASE CREATE THREE MAGICAL FOCI FOR YOUR CHARACTER. A LIST OF YOUR TRADITION’S COMMON FOCI ARE LISTED FOR ASSISTANCE, BUT YOU MAY CREATE ANYTHING.

VIRTUAL ADEPTS: CAFFEINE, COMPUTERS, HACKING RITUALS, MATHEMATICS, PROGRAMS, SENSORY GEAR, SURVEILLANCE EQUIPMENT, VIDEO GAMES.

PART 3: MAGICAL HERITAGE

YOU HAVE 5 LEVELS TO DISTRIBUTE AMONGST THE FOLLOWING HERITAGE GROUPS:

DESTINY – This Heritage represents the fact that you are destined for great things. For each level placed in Destiny, you may, once per day, automatically select the best option presented to you in a given scene. However, this Heritage will only work in a scene of dramatic importance; Destiny won’t help you choose where to go when you’ve got a bit of spare time on your hands, but it WOULD help you choose where to go and what to do in a crisis situation. For this reason, the words DESTINY ACTIVE will appear whenever a choice would allow you to use Destiny. Furthermore, be warned: with each level placed into Destiny, the more epic your story must be. With a Level 1 Destiny, you might have to fight a few of the weaker Touhou characters (such as Wriggle, Mystia, Cirno, or Rumia) in rapid succession. With a Level 5 Destiny, you might have to fight Reimu, Yukari, and Marisa AT THE SAME TIME.

DREAM – This represents a magical ability to tap into the knowledge of the cosmos. Once per level per day, you may use Dream to gain knowledge into something that would be uncommon for an average person – you could use it to gain knowledge into the science necessary to build a nuclear reactor, but you couldn’t use it to learn how to cook scrambled eggs.

WONDER – This represents the fact that you have received an item with magical powers sometime in the past. A Wonder is capable of replicating a power from a given Sphere of magic. Each level invested in Wonder would allow you to boost the level of power. For example, a three-level Forces Wonder would allow you to shoot fire out of a forearm-length rod, a one-level Time Wonder would allow you to always know the time, and so on. If levels are invested in Wonder, please choose a Sphere, and a sampling of possible powers will be listed.


DO YOU REQUIRE ANY FURTHER INFORMATION ON STEP 4?

[] YES
[] NO
>> No. 17900
I thought we were already getting the faction spheres. It would be best to have at least one.

[x] NO; Forces as a faction

[x] Correspondence - 2
[x] Forces - 1
[x] Time - 1
[x] Mind - 1
[x] Matter - 1
[x] Life - 1

[x] All forms of weaponry; harder metal, producing more force, wider range of damage, etc.
[x] Scientific progression in the use of air pressure, sound, sonic distortion, etc. for both medical treatment and military WMDs.
[x] Video games; advanced graphics and even virtual reality.

[x] Destiny - 1
[x] Dream - 3
[x] Wonder - 1
--[x] Time; always being able to tell the exact time of day.
>> No. 17901
[x] NO; Forces as a faction

[x] Correspondence - 2
[x] Forces - 1
[x] Time - 1
[x] Mind - 1
[x] Matter - 1
[x] Life - 1

[x] All forms of weaponry; harder metal, producing more force, wider range of damage, etc.
[x] Scientific progression in the use of air pressure, sound, sonic distortion, etc. for both medical treatment and military WMDs.
[x] Video games; advanced graphics and even virtual reality.

[x] Destiny - 1
[x] Dream - 3
[x] Wonder - 1
--[x] Time; always being able to tell the exact time of day.
>> No. 17959
To Voters:

A couple of notes.

First, since you selected the Virtual Adepts Forces faction, that's now your Specialty Sphere, ie the one that's allowed to be higher than all the others, so it can be higher than Correspondence.

Second, regarding your foci - while foci ARE categorical, and therefore you could potentially use anything in said categories as a focus, if you could suggest a few specific items that the character carries as foci, that'd be helpful. One big thing about heroes is their usage of iconic equipment - Marisa has Hakkero, Sakuya the Lunar Dial, Remi and Flan have Gungir and Laevatain, Youmu Roukanken and Hakurouken, and so on, and so on.

Come up with something! Be creative!
>> No. 17969
>>17959
I understand it can be higher, but for now that is the best use of our points in my opinion. Forces will get itself a boost when our level-up comes around.

At first, I admit, I was confused on whether or not you wanted a category or special items. I believed it was the former, as part of a reasearch for our faction - within good restrictions. I'm surprised that it is the latter, considering anon could vote for a remote, that, with the press of a button, automatically wins fights for us. I believe you need to draw a line, somewhere. Anyway..

>>17962
[x] A pair black-red metal gloves with built in sonic emitter, capable of sending out low to high level amounts of crushing sonic waves - also has built-in tasers for hand-to-hand combat.
[x] Two black hand-guns. Built with reinforced metal to withstand great shock. Special ammunition needed. An ounce of nitroglycerin in each bullet, for the effect of a hand-grenade with each shot.
[x] A pair of multi-use, electronic glasses. Has infrared, x-ray(on all levels), nightvision, and any other kind of sight available.
>> No. 17971
[x] A pair black-red metal gloves with built in sonic emitter, capable of sending out low to high level amounts of crushing sonic waves - also has built-in tasers for hand-to-hand combat.
[x] Two black hand-guns. Built with reinforced metal to withstand great shock. Special ammunition needed. An ounce of nitroglycerin in each bullet, for the effect of a hand-grenade with each shot.
[x] A pair of multi-use, electronic glasses. Has infrared, x-ray(on all levels), nightvision, and any other kind of sight available.
>> No. 17972
[x] A pair black-red metal gloves with built in sonic emitter, capable of sending out low to high level amounts of crushing sonic waves - also has built-in tasers for hand-to-hand combat.
[x] Two black hand-guns. Built with reinforced metal to withstand great shock. Special ammunition needed. An ounce of nitroglycerin in each bullet, for the effect of a hand-grenade with each shot.
[x] A pair of multi-use, electronic glasses. Has infrared, x-ray(on all levels), nightvision, and any other kind of sight available.
>> No. 18025
>>17969

In actuality, both are correct. I'm going to be using the categories for the connection to the actual game, and for improvised foci. The specific items are to add a bit of flavor, and as a way to (for the moment) avoid having people pick up every possible item usable as a foci they come across.

Example: A category of foci for the Order of Hermes are languages. So, theoretically, Hermetic mages could utilize any language to cast spells. HOWEVER, a common language used by Hermetics is Enochian, a specific language which gives flavor and specificness to what is generally a broad category.

That's my explanation. If that didn't make sense, don't worry. The point is, both categories and specific items will get used in the progression of the story.
>> No. 18036
>>18025
Well, that's good to know.
>> No. 18140
File 123942725969.jpg - (28.80KB , 512x384 , baton.jpg ) [iqdb]
18140
Later on, I'd like to get a pair of batons. Not 'magical foci', though. Just regular ones. They'd compliment us quite nicely.
>> No. 18391
Sorry, been busy with Easter stuff.

>>18140

Well, anything's possible...with the right people and places, or the right magic.

------------------------------------------

TRADITION SELECTED: VIRTUAL ADEPTS

FACTION SELECTED: Forces

SPECIALTY SPHERE: Forces

[x] NO; Forces as a faction


PART 1: SPHERE DISTRIBUTION

[x] Correspondence - 2
[x] Forces - 1
[x] Time - 1
[x] Mind - 1
[x] Matter - 1
[x] Life - 1

PART 2: MAGICAL TOOLS

CATEGORICAL
[x] All forms of weaponry; harder metal, producing more force, wider range of damage, etc.
[x] Scientific progression in the use of air pressure, sound, sonic distortion, etc. for both medical treatment and military WMDs.
[x] Video games; advanced graphics and even virtual reality.

SPECIFIC
[x] A pair black-red metal gloves with built in sonic emitter, capable of sending out low to high level amounts of crushing sonic waves - also has built-in tasers for hand-to-hand combat.
[x] Two black hand-guns. Built with reinforced metal to withstand great shock. Special ammunition needed. An ounce of nitroglycerin in each bullet, for the effect of a hand-grenade with each shot.
[x] A pair of multi-use, electronic glasses. Has infrared, x-ray(on all levels), nightvision, and any other kind of sight available.

PART 3: MAGICAL HERITAGE

[x] Destiny - 1
[x] Dream - 3
[x] Wonder - 1
--[x] Time; always being able to tell the exact time of day.

CONFIRM INFORMATION?

[] YES
[] NO

STEP 5: FINISHING TOUCHES

PART 1: BONUSES

CHOOSE FROM THE FOLLOWING:

2 MORE SPHERE LEVELS

4 MORE MAGICAL HERITAGE LEVELS

1 SPHERE LEVEL AND 2 MAGICAL HERITAGE LEVELS

1 POINT FOR ATTRIBUTES

PART 2: MAGICAL ASSOCIATES

PLEASE CHOOSE 3 MORE TRADITIONS.
>> No. 18395
>>18394
>>18391
Do we get the bonuses now, or only at every level-up?
>> No. 18401
[x] YES

2 SPHERE LEVELS
-[x] 1 Time
-[x] 1 Forces

TRADITIONS

[x] AKASHIC BROTHERHOOD
[x] DREAMSPEAKERS
[x] SONS OF ETHER
>> No. 18474
[x] YES

2 SPHERE LEVELS

[x] 1 Time
[x] 1 Forces

TRADITIONS

[x] AKASHIC BROTHERHOOD
[x] CULT OF ECSTACY
[x] SONS OF ETHER

The Akashic Brotherhood is one thing, and I can understand the Sons Of Ether to some extent, but Dreamspeakers? Verbena? We're tech people, and one of our categories is 'military WMDs'. Do you really think the Nature or Earth factions are good associates? They'd hate us. I can see trouble in the future, there. The other two fit perfectly, but at least with the cult, they won't give a damn. Plus, we're also working on virtual reality, so you know that's going to be interesting.
>> No. 18475
[x] YES

2 SPHERE LEVELS

[x] 1 Time
[x] 1 Forces

TRADITIONS

[x] AKASHIC BROTHERHOOD
[x] CULT OF ECSTACY
[x] SONS OF ETHER
>> No. 18476
[x] YES

2 SPHERE LEVELS

[x] 1 Time
[x] 1 Forces

TRADITIONS

[x] AKASHIC BROTHERHOOD
[x] CULT OF ECSTACY
[x] SONS OF ETHER
>> No. 18522
File 123991077917.jpg - (78.48KB , 561x315 , Keikaku Doori!.jpg ) [iqdb]
18522
>>18474

Heh. You don't know it, but your logic...

KEIKAKUDOORI

--------------------------------------------

[x] YES

INFORMATION FOR STEP 4 CONFIRMED.

BONUSES

2 SPHERE LEVELS

[x] 1 Time
[x] 1 Forces

SPHERE LEVELS ADDED

TRADITIONS

[x] AKASHIC BROTHERHOOD
[x] CULT OF ECSTACY
[x] SONS OF ETHER

TRADITION ASSOCIATES CONFIRMED...

GENERATING PROFILES...

COMPLETED.

INFORMATION SUMMARY:


NAME: Sparrow
AGE GROUP: 18-25 [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
GENDER: MALE [CURRENTLY LOCKED]
HAIR COLOR: Thick crimson/scarlet red. Hardly looks natural.
EYE COLOR: Dark grey.
APPROXIMATE HEIGHT*: Slightly taller than Kourin
BIRTHDAY: 12/01/1988
GENERAL MAGE FACTION: THE NINE TRADITIONS [CURRENTLY LOCKED]

STRENGTH: 5
DEXTERITY: 3
STAMINA: 3

CHARISMA: 4
MANIPULATION: 2
APPEARANCE: 3

PERCEPTION: 2
INTELLIGENCE: 2
WITS: 3

TRADITION SELECTED: VIRTUAL ADEPTS

FACTION SELECTED: Forces

SPECIALTY SPHERE: Forces

[x] Correspondence - 2
[x] Forces - 2
[x] Time - 2
[x] Mind - 1
[x] Matter - 1
[x] Life - 1

[x] All forms of weaponry; harder metal, producing more force, wider range of damage, etc.
[x] Scientific progression in the use of air pressure, sound, sonic distortion, etc. for both medical treatment and military WMDs.
[x] Video games; advanced graphics and even virtual reality.

[x] A pair black-red metal gloves with built in sonic emitter, capable of sending out low to high level amounts of crushing sonic waves - also has built-in tasers for hand-to-hand combat.
[x] Two black hand-guns. Built with reinforced metal to withstand great shock. Special ammunition needed. An ounce of nitroglycerin in each bullet, for the effect of a hand-grenade with each shot.
[x] A pair of multi-use, electronic glasses. Has infrared, x-ray(on all levels), nightvision, and any other kind of sight available.

[x] Destiny - 1
[x] Dream - 3
[x] Wonder - 1
--[x] Time; always being able to tell the exact time of day.

[x] AKASHIC BROTHERHOOD
[x] CULT OF ECSTACY
[x] SONS OF ETHER


IS THIS INFORMATION CORRECT? CONFIRMATION LOCKS IN CURRENT INPUT FOR START OF GAME.

[] YES
[] NO
>> No. 18523
[] YES
>> No. 18524
[x] YES
>> No. 18527
>>18522

Hold on a moment, Lelouch Isn't the one who says Keikaku Doori, It's Light.

Research before you post.
>> No. 18539
[x] YES
>> No. 18545
>>18527

Fully aware of that - but a picture of Light would almost immediately give things away - and I, for one, am more into Geass than Death Note.
>> No. 18546
>>18545

How long til we meet Touhou's?
>> No. 18547
>>18546

Well, assuming that all the information currently input is correct, and you confirm it, then all you have to go thru is the Prologue (10-12 choices), and then you meet Touhoes.
>> No. 18549
[x] YES
>> No. 18568
>then all you have to go thru is the Prologue
>(10-12 choices)
Jesus H Christ
>> No. 18569
THIS PROCESS IS TOO LONG.

That's it I'm outta here.
>> No. 18652
>>18568

Well, it's actually only that many if you end up taking the longest route - in all other cases, the prologue is maybe 5-8 choices.

>>18569

That's your choice - but good things come to those who wait.

-------------------------------------------

[x] YES

INFORMATION CONFIRMED…LOADING PROLOGUE…

AND HERE…WE…GO…



LOCATION: Personal Cabin, Sons of Ether EtherShip Osiris, The Umbra

You awaken as the alarm clock blares – a horrid tone from hell that rings in your ears. Rolling out of bed, you take a few minutes to shower, throw on clothes, and get ready for your shift. As you prepare, you quickly reflect back on how you got here.

It was a little over a year ago that your life changed, and you Awakened to your power as a mage. After joining the Virtual Adepts, and finishing your initial training, you set forth on your journey towards Ascension. It was in the period after that your cabal was assembled – you and three other mages.

First there was Kiyomi of the Akashic Brotherhood. Despite being the sole female member, her knowledge of the Akashic art of Do made her the resident ass-beater of the group. Kiyomi’s problem was the fact that her pursuit for “serenity” sometimes made it difficult to motivate her into USING said skills. Then there was David, one of the Cult of Ecstasy. David was the social mover, and general face-man of the group – though the fact that he indulged in one-night stands at least twice a week ended up creating a fair amount of trouble for your quartet – especially that one time with the blonde Technocrat twins. And lastly, there was Horace of the Sons of Ether. Horace was decidedly the smartest of the group – his intellect, combined with his ability to come up with a gadget for just about any occasion helped you defeat the Technocracy on more than one occasion. Though, there are times where you think there were TOO many ideas running around in his head.

Then, there’s you – the versatile element of the group. While you’re not as quick as Kiyomi, you’re definitely stronger than her. You’re not as sly and cunning as David, but you’re just as charismatic as he is. And though you don’t have Horace’s intellect, your ability to think faster than he does has saved your little quartet more than a few times.

It was two months ago, after a particularly nasty incident involving a quartet of Technocracy HIT-Mark assault-type cyborgs, that you came upon your current assignment. Horace learned via one of his Etherite mentors that a new EtherShip was about to be christened, and that the captain of the ship was looking for crew members. Selling the skills of your little quartet in a performance that would shame even the best used car salesman, David convinced the captain to take the four of you on board.

Since you’ve come aboard the Osiris, there have been a few… interesting… incidents, but otherwise it’s pretty been the same day, every day.

As you leave, you grab the magical pocketwatch entrusted to you by one of your Tradition mentors. The pocketwatch is capable of keeping perfect time – or so you’re told.

You’ve got a few minutes before your shift starts.

[] Go to the bridge early
[] Go to the ship’s onboard library
[] Go to one of your mates’ cabins
--- [] Kiyomi
--- [] David
--- [] Horace
>> No. 18653
[x] Go to the ship’s onboard library

>but good things come to those who wait.
I've stuck with you for this long, please don't dash my hopes early by saying the updates are going to be once a blue moon, put on hiatus, until finally the entire thing is canceled.
>> No. 18659
[] Go to the ship’s onboard library
>> No. 18662
[x] Go to the ship’s onboard library
>> No. 18669
[x] Go to the ship’s onboard library
>> No. 18709
>>18653

Heck no - I have every intention of doing at least one full playthrough, and I'll update - at the very worst - once every other day.

---------------------------------------

[x] Go to the ship’s onboard library

You muse over the options available to you for a few moments, finally settling on visiting the Osiris’ computerized library. You head aft, navigating a few corridors before arriving at the door to the library. Settling yourself into one of the half-dozen chairs, you engage the Virtual Archive System, and immerse yourself in looking over a few articles regarding the Sphere of Forces recently written up by a Hermetic. You check your pocketwatch as you finish the second article, and realize that you’re going to be late! Disengaging from the system, you prepare to dash for the door…

…only for you to flop to the floor as the ship trembles. As you pick yourself up, alarms begin to blare and emergency lights begin to flash. As you glance about, a voice speaks from the room’s intercom grille.

“Library, report!”

You hurry over to the intercom, and depress the button located just under the speaker.

“Sparrow here. I’m in the library – what’s going on?”

“No time to explain, Sparrow! We need you to jettison the library module ASAP!”

~DESTINY ACTIVE~

[] Go outside, and engage the module jettison system.
[] No, not until you know what’s going on – head for the bridge.
>> No. 18710
[] Go outside, and engage the module jettison system.
>> No. 18711
[x] Go outside, and engage the module jettison system.
>> No. 18714
[x] No, not until you know what’s going on – head for the bridge.
>> No. 18759
[x] Go outside, and engage the module jettison system.
>> No. 18930
[x] Go outside, and engage the module jettison system.

“Roger! Releasing the library now!”

Stepping thru the door, you face the terminal next to the library door. You work the controls, pushing buttons on the touch-screen. After a half-dozen or so commands, a pair of solid steel doors slam down in front of the hatch, the ship trembles, and you feel a tremor as the library is released. Finding the nearest intercom button, you press it down with your thumb.

“Library jettisoned!”

The voice of Captain Farrow responds. “Good work, lad! Now, get up here to the bridge and –” His voice becomes cut off as the ship lurches to one side, sending you slamming up against the bulkhead. The Osiris continues to toss and turn, pitching you around like a pinball mage. After about what seems to be half a minute, the motion stops. You pick yourself up, bruised and dinged, but otherwise just fine.

No sooner do you do that than the ship’s onboard computer is heard throughout the vessel.

“Emergency. Emergency. Propulsion and navigation systems offline. Critical damage to hull. Approximate time to total destruction: 3 minutes. Evacuation highly recommended.”

Captain Farrow’s voice comes over the intercom. “All hands, this is the Captain. Abandon ship, I repeat, abandon ship. Go to the armory, retrieve your survival packs, and make for the lifepods.”

~Time remaining: 3:00:00~

[] You still have no idea what’s happening – get yourself to the bridge ASAP. Maybe the Captain can fill you in.
[] Make for the armory, like the captain suggests. Better to do it now, than not get to it at all.
[] You’ve got your watch and foci, but your other stuff is still back in your room! Get back there, and cram as much as you can into the bags in your tiny closet.
[] Look for…
--- [] Kiyomi
--- [] David
--- [] Horace

~DESTINY ACTIVE~ (1 of 1 level remaining for Prologue)

------------------------------

Quick note – to spend DESTINY, simply input [x] DESTINY.
>> No. 18942
[x] You’ve got your watch and foci, but your other stuff is still back in your room! Get back there, and cram as much as you can into the bags in your tiny closet.
>> No. 18946
[x] Make for the armory, like the captain suggests. Better to do it now, than not get to it at all.
[x] Look for the rest of the members of the group along the way.
>> No. 19006
[x] Make for the armory, like the captain suggests. Better to do it now, than not get to it at all.
[x] Look for the rest of the members of the group along the way.
>> No. 19008
[x] Make for the armory, like the captain suggests. Better to do it now, than not get to it at all.
[x] Look for the rest of the members of the group along the way.
>> No. 19061
[x] Make for the armory, like the captain suggests. Better to do it now, than not get to it at all.
[x] Look for the rest of the members of the group along the way.

There’s no time to waste! The Captain is right – survival comes before anything else. Spinning on your heel, you dash at a dead sprint, taking a left at the T-junction towards the armory. Arriving there seconds later, you still haven’t seen anyone else – maybe your luck will improve inside. You work open the door, and step inside.

“Ah, Sparrow! Good to see you made it!”

Just inside, pulling his own survival pack out of his armory locker, is Horace. Moving to your locker, you work the biometric ID system to gain entry. As you do, the two of you converse back-and-forth with rapid-fire speed.

“Seen anyone else?”

“Not yet – but David’s supposed to be on the bridge.”

“Kiyomi?”

“Either her cabin, or…”

“…right. Of course.”

The ID system beeps, and you pull the locker door open. Reaching in, you pull out the survival pack and its accompanying harness.

“Sparrow, if you would!”

Turning around, you attach Horace’s survival pack to his harness. Giving him yours, you strap on your harness, and Horace attaches your pack.

“After we’re done here, could you give me a hand? I have a few projects back in my cabin that need loading…”

“We’ll see.”

As you step outside, you bump (almost literally) into Kiyomi.

“Good to see you – I am glad you both are unharmed.”

“Yeah, it’s good to see you’re alright too,” you reply.

“If you will permit me…” She slips past you, and into the armory.

As you look around, you see that Horace has already turned the corner, headed towards the crew cabins.

[] Help Horace pack - his little gadgets might come in handy wherever it is you’re going.
[] Help Kiyomi with her survival pack.
[] Where. Is. David?
[] Forget Horace – you’ve still got your own stuff to pack!
[] The bridge. The Captain. The situation. Now.
[] To the lifepods!

~SECONDARY OBJECTIVE COMPLETED: SURVIVAL PACK OBTAINED~

~Time remaining: 2:19:34~

~DESTINY ACTIVE~ (1 of 1 level remaining for Prologue)
>> No. 19067
31 minutes, already?

[x] Help Kiyomi with her survival pack.
[x] To the lifepods!
>> No. 19070
[x] Help Kiyomi with her survival pack.
[x] To the lifepods!
>> No. 19084
>>19067

It's 31 seconds - there (were) are 3 minutes until the destruction of the ship. The format for the time remaining is Minutes:Seconds:Milliseconds.

Just thought you should know.
>> No. 19086
>>19084
Ah. Thanks for the heads up.

IMPENDINGFUCKINGDOOMOHMYGOD
>> No. 19123
[x] Help Kiyomi with her survival pack.
[x] To the lifepods!
>> No. 19218
[x] Help Kiyomi with her survival pack.
[x] To the lifepods!

Turning back the way you came, you work open the door just in time to hear the familiar tone, and see Kiyomi pull open the locker door. You move to help her put on her survival pack…

…only to see it flying at your face. You manage to grab it before it collides with you, and bring it down slowly to chest height. Looking over at Kiyomi, you notice that she’s already put on the harness and is doing up the catches. And even after almost a year of knowing her, you still catch yourself thinking:

Damn, she’s fast.

No sooner do you think that than you see her turn her body so that the attachment point for the pack is facing you. You lock it into place with a solid click.

“Where to now?”

Taking a moment to think, you reply:

“Lifepods. We need to make sure they’re good.”

“Very well. Lead on.”

The two of you leave the room, and run as quick as you can to the lifepod bay, conversing as you go.

“Seen David?” you ask.

“Afraid not. Last I knew, however, he was headed to the bridge to speak with the Captain.”

“About?”

“Most likely, possible shore leave.”

You sigh, and roll your eyes, and you’d even have tossed in a facepalm if your weren’t running full speed.

“Figures.”

“Indeed.”

A few more pounding footsteps, and then…

“We are here.”

And she’s right. Before you is the lifepod bay – a dozen hatches open and waiting to be closed. You direct Kiyomi.

“You take that half, and I’ll take these – make sure they’re working!”

“Affirmative.”

You move to the first one, and hit the DIAGNOSTIC command. After a second or two, the screen flashes back: ALL FINE. Moving thru the other five, you discover that out of your six, only four pods are perfectly functioning. You meet with Kiyomi in the center.

“Four. You?”

“There are five.”

“Right.”

You’ve still got time before you need to leave. So, now what?

CHOOSE TWO:

[] To Horace’s room. He might need help with his gadgets.
[] Back to your place – your stuff IS still on a ticking time-bomb of a ship, after all.
[] Ask Kiyomi if she needs help with her stuff.
[] According to Horace and Kiyomi, David is on the bridge. Is he?
[] You STILL know nothing about what’s going on. Get to the bridge. Find Captain Farrow.

~COMMAND SYSTEM ENGAGED~

~ALLY present: KIYOMI~

~Time remaining: 1:46:58~

~DESTINY ACTIVE~ (1 of 1 level remaining for Prologue)

---------------------------

EXPLANATION OF COMMAND SYSTEM

The COMMAND SYSTEM engages in times of crisis, when others are available to help resolve the situation, and efforts can be divided.

The COMMAND SYSTEM recognizes three types of individuals: ALLIES, GUIDES, and VISITORS.

ALLIES are characters who trust your judgment – you may give them commands from the list.

GUIDES are characters who you recognize as being more experienced than yourself – you may ask their advice.

VISITORS are characters who are neither ALLIES nor GUIDES.
>> No. 19219
[x] To Horace’s room. He might need help with his gadgets.
[x] Back to your place – your stuff IS still on a ticking time-bomb of a ship, after all.

Well, I'm now positive that Kiyomi has a good enough head on her shoulders. Horace is most likely our weak-link, and David... God only knows; he probably has a fountain of luck on his side.
>> No. 19222
[x] To Horace’s room. He might need help with his gadgets.
[x] Back to your place – your stuff IS still on a ticking time-bomb of a ship, after all.
>> No. 19335
[x] To Horace’s room. He might need help with his gadgets.
[x] Back to your place – your stuff IS still on a ticking time-bomb of a ship, after all.
>> No. 19412
[x] To Horace’s room. He might need help with his gadgets.
[x] Back to your place – your stuff IS still on a ticking time-bomb of a ship, after all.

Your mind whirls as you flash through the options present. After a few seconds, you’ve made up your mind.

“Kiyomi – find Horace. Help him pack his stuff, and bring him back here. I’ll get my stuff, and meet you back here.”

“And David?” she asks in reply.

“David’s a big boy; he can take care of himself.”

“Very well.”

And with that, she heads out of the lifepod bay full speed. You’re right behind her, though your trip is shorter than hers. Arriving in your room, you throw open your closet, and yank out the two duffel bags and the backpack stored within. Tossing them on your bed, you survey your stuff.

There’s no time, and no space for everything. You’ll have to pick and choose.

~Time remaining: 1:21:27~

~DESTINY ACTIVE~ (1 of 1 level remaining for Prologue)

~Slots Available: 6 per duffel bag, 4 in backpack, 2 on harness~

~Note: Items marked {HARNESS} can be clipped onto harness~

~Note: If Magical Library data chips selected, select Spheres

[] Load your…
--- [] Spare Trinary Computer (Laptop-size): 2 slots
--- [] Magical Library data chips: 2 slots per full Sphere (up to lvl 5); 1 slot per half Sphere (up to lvl 3) {HARNESS}
--- [] Personal data chips
------ [] Pure Personal Data: 1 slot {HARNESS}
------ [] Virtual Reality Project: 4 slots
------ [] Information Network Project: 4 slots
------ [] Nanotech Project: 4 slots
--- [] Spare sets of clothes: 2 slots per set

+

[] To the Bridge! Maybe David and Captain Farrow are still there.
[] Back to the Lifepods! You’ve got to get out of here!
>> No. 19416
[x] Spare Trinary Computer
[x] Magical Library data chips (half-sphere; forces)
[x] Pure Personal Data
[x] Virtual Reality Project
[x] Information Network Project
[x] Nanotech Project
[x] 1 spare set of clothing
--[x] To the Bridge! Maybe David and Captain Farrow are still there.

Clothes? Library data? Really, now.
>> No. 19417
[x] Spare Trinary Computer
[x] Magical Library data chips (half-sphere; forces)
[x] Pure Personal Data
[x] Virtual Reality Project
[x] Information Network Project
[x] Nanotech Project
[x] 1 spare set of clothing
--[x] To the Bridge! Maybe David and Captain Farrow are still there.
>> No. 19486
[x] Spare Trinary Computer
[x] Magical Library data chips (half-sphere; forces)
[x] Pure Personal Data
[x] Virtual Reality Project
[x] Information Network Project
[x] Nanotech Project
[x] 1 spare set of clothing
--[x] To the Bridge! Maybe David and Captain Farrow are still there.

You run down a mental checklist in your head of all the things you’re taking with you to…wherever it is you’re going. The first thing you grab is your spare trinary computer, this one laptop-sized rather than the smartphone-sized one you always have in your poket. You jam it and all the peripherals you might need into one of the duffel bags, along with your next-generation Information Network project that you have sitting next to it.

Tossing the now full bag onto your bed, you waste no time in grabbing a spare set of clothes out of your closet (in basic black), and stuffing them into the other duffel bag, along with your Virtual Reality project that you keep in said closet because you’ve not touched it since you boarded the Osiris.

Bag onto bed. Moving on, you pick up the Nanotechnology project that you and Horace had been collaborating on and put it into your backpack, zipping it shut. You take a moment to look over the rest of your data collection, and quickly pick up the case filled with your personal data, and the case containing half the Library’s information on the Forces Sphere.

Pulling on the backpack, and slinging both duffel bags over your shoulders like two messenger bags, you exit your room, and pound your way full-tilt boogie to the bridge, hoping to find David, Captain Farrow, or maybe both.

As you near the bridge, the door senses your approach and whisks open.


In the name of C++, ASCII, and Java…

The bridge is a MESS. There’s debris everywhere, and you count at least three dead bodies slumped over at their stations – they must’ve died instantly. Cupping your hands to your face, you shout.

“David! Captain Farrow!”

No response. You try again, and this time you hear a groan. Your head snaps around, and you move to the source of the sound.

It’s Captain Farrow, pinned beneath the bridge command chair, the only thing in reach the intercom panel. He looks up at you, a dazed expression in his eyes.

“Sparrow…?”

“Where’s David?”

“Left – he couldn’t help me…”

“Don’t talk, sir. I’m going to get you out of here.”

You reach out, only for him to slap your hands away, and point towards a station at the side of the room.

“Forget me…the backup nav center…our last known location…”

You look towards the station. And then you hear…

“Warning: thirty seconds until ship destruction.”

[] Honor the Captain’s last request. Find the last known location of the Osiris.
[] No. No matter what he says, save him. This is one time that the Captain won’t go down with the ship.

~Time remaining: 0:30:00~

~DESTINY ACTIVE~ (1 of 1 level remaining for Prologue)

-----

Choose wisely...
>> No. 19487
[x] DESTINY

Gotta use that level somewhere.
>> No. 19488
[x] DESTINY
>> No. 19501
[x] No. No matter what he says, save him. This is one time that the Captain won’t go down with the ship.

Strongest of the group~

>>19487
>>19488
It doesn't have to be used during the prologue. In fact, the prologue might not even be over after this.
>> No. 19516
File 124131816329.gif - (55.29KB , 320x240 , LastCrusade.gif ) [iqdb]
19516
>>19501

It might not...but remember, Destiny only works when ~DESTINY ACTIVE~ appears.

And one last thing...

You have chosen...

...wisely.

------------------------------------------

[x] DESTINY

For a moment, time itself seems to slow, and you look to the Captain, and the nav station.

And then, you realize:

No. Enough death. Ships can be rebuilt, but lives are irreplaceable.

You turn towards the chair, and lift with both hands, pulling the chair off the Captain. You vaguely hear him protesting as you lift him onto your shoulders in a fireman’s carry, and leave the bridge behind like a fat man going past the salad bar at an all-you-can-eat.

Things are now falling apart around you, small explosions and sparks everywhere. As you reach the lifepod bay, you hear the computer begin intoning the final ten seconds. You put the Captain into one of the still-present and functioning lifepods, and upon seeing the doors close, you sprint across the bay to the last one left, throwing yourself inside and pulling the release lever with all your might.

The doors slam shut, you feel a tremor, and then, everything goes black.

-------------------

You awaken…you’re not really sure how long you’ve been out. But, you decide, first things first – let’s see where we are. Opening the hatch, you look outside to see a forest.

Well, that’s a relief. At least you didn’t come down in the middle of a city or anything like that. Reaching down, you open the survival pack and pull out the GPS stowed inside, and switch it on.

Nothing. You check it over – batteries are present, the little red light is on, everything is working – except the part where it TELLS YOU WHERE YOU ARE. You do a hard reset – still nothing. You thump it once for good measure, and then put it away, whipping out instead your phone-sized trinary computer. You activate its GPS function, only to get the same result. Nothing. Nada. Bupkis. Sighing, you put it away, heft your stuff onto your shoulders, and look around.

You’ve got to find everyone else – time to get moving.


PICK TWO DIRECTIONS – YOU MAY CHOOSE THE SAME DIRECTION TWICE.

[] Forward
[] Back
[] Left
[] Right
>> No. 19520
[] Forward
[] Forward
>> No. 19523
[x] Forward
[x] Forward

Sandy beach on a tropical island?
>> No. 19526
[x] Forward
[x] Forward
>> No. 19527
[x] Forward
[x] Forward

Forward is the only way.
>> No. 19528
Called. Updating now.
>> No. 19529
>>19528

hooray!
>> No. 19530
And now...the update

-----

[x] Forward Twice

You begin moving forward, away from the pod, when you suddenly remember something – you dig around in your survival pack, and pull out one of the six tracking beacons included. You toss it into the pod, and seal the door. Whipping out the GPS, you switch it on to make sure it’s functioning.

Yep, there’s the little blip of the beacon. At least now, you’ll be able to find the pod wherever you go. Turning away, you march forward, into the forest.

You trek thru trees for a while, and then you see it…

…lights. Lots of lights.

It’s a village. You move behind the nearest tree, and move closer. Observing for a few minutes, you deduce that the only people out seem to be the night watch, who carry…

…swords? Spears? What the hell? What is this, the Dark Ages?

You spend a minute debating whether or not to approach the guardsmen, but decide against it – you would, no doubt, stand out, and be more than a little suspicious. But, neither can you spend the night in the woods, nor do you want to. You’re just about ready to give up when, after a third glance around, you notice it.

A house, on the edge of the village. You creep towards it, and see no lights on – maybe no one’s home…and if there IS someone, maybe they’ll be nice enough to give you a one-night stay.

Moving as quietly as you can, you reach the edge of the forest around the house. Putting your stuff up a tree so that enterprising thieves will actually need to WORK for it, you head unencumbered towards the house. Creeping silently towards the threshold, you reach out towards the door – you plan on knocking at least once to ensure that there really is no one living in the house.

Before you do, however, you hear the snap of a twig behind you, and your head whips around, towards the source of the noise.

And all you see is a flash of silver and crimson before the fist collides with your face…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
End Prologue – Final Flight of the Osiris

Advancement Point Awards

Primary Objective: Survive – COMPLETED; 5 AP

Secondary Objective: Retrieve Survival Pack – COMPLETED; 3 AP

Bonus Objective: All BAD ENDS Avoided; 2 AP (2 BAD ENDS)

Bonus Objective: Saved Captain Farrow; 2 AP

Bonus Objective: Released Library; 2 AP

Bonus Objective: Perfect Destiny; 1 AP
>> No. 19531
CHARACTER ADVANCEMENT

You can spend Advancement Points (AP) to increase your character’s Attributes, Magical Sphere Levels, and Magical Heritage Levels.

The breakdown for advancement goes as such:

Attribute Increase: (Current Level) x 4
Specialty Sphere Increase: (Current Level) x 4*
Non-Specialty Sphere Increase: (Current Level) x 6*
Heritage Increase: (Current Level) x 3**

*: Reduce this value by 1 if you have access to Library resources at that level.

**: This generally only applies to Destiny and Dream, if more Wonders become available, [Wonder Available] will appear onscreen.

Do you have any questions?

[] Yes
[] No
>> No. 19533
>>19532

That'd be a no.

The way it works is that the cost in advancement points is whatever your current level is multiplied by 4.

Example: Say you want to increase your Perception. It currently has a rank of 2, so the cost to increase it from 2 to 3 would cost (2x4), or 8 AP.

Example 2: Say you want to increase Forces. Being your Specialty Sphere, the standard cost is (Current Level x 4). So, to increase Forces from 2 to 3 would, again, cost 8 AP. However, since you have Library resources for Forces Level 3, the multiplier is reduced by 1. So, the cost would be (2x3), or 6 AP.

And, as a last note, Wonders are not currently available.
>> No. 19534
[x] Attributes
-[x] +1 Perception
>> No. 19536
[x] 1 Appearance
--[x] Use 1 Dream Level

We're out anyway, aren't we?
>> No. 19548
[x] Attributes
-[x] +1 Perception
>> No. 19551
ADVANCEMENT POINT EXPENDITURES:

Attribute Increase:

Perception: Rank 2 to Rank 3 - 8 AP

AP Remaining: 7


Do you wish to make further expenditures?

[] Yes

[] No
>> No. 19552
[] No
>> No. 19554
>>19551
[x] No

Why ask if it's not possible?
>> No. 19564
>>19554

Because it is possible - you could increase Destiny to level 2, Forces to level 3, or Life, Mind, Matter, or Time to level 2.
>> No. 19567
>>19564
Ah, right, spheres and heritage. That reminds me, we really should put some points into prime when our next level-up comes around. Though, I'm not exactly sure how you're going to be determining our abilities...
>> No. 19568
>>19567

Well, level-up comes at the end of every day, so you'll have to wait until the end of Day One. And an investment in Prime would be worth it - Level 3 Forces plus Level 2 Prime allows you to conjure attacks (such as lightning bolts) out of thin air.

One problem, though. As it is right now, you wouldn't be able to learn the Prime Sphere since you have no levels, and therefore no knowledge of how the Sphere operates. The two ways around this would be to either, A: find someone who can teach you magic, or B: get access to library resources for Prime.

And in regards to abilities, you effectively have at least basic skills in most areas - story development will enable you to flesh out exactly how much skill you have in a given area. Example: your character, being a Virtual Adept, would have at least some intermediate skills with computers.
>> No. 19590
BEGIN Book 1: Stranger in a Strange Land


Location: Currently Unknown


You awaken, roused from unconsciousness by the sunlight streaming through the window into the room. Sitting up, you first take stock of yourself. Raising your hand to your head, you gently probe your face.

Ow. Yeah, your face is still a little tender. Closing your eyes, and working a little Time magic, you cast your mind back to last night. Or, at least, what you think was last night. Yeah, whoever clocked you got you good.

Returning your senses to the present, you decide to survey the room.

It’s relatively simple – the bed you’re sitting on, a nightstand, desk, and chair – all hand-carved from wood. The atmosphere in here almost makes you feel like you’ve gone back to the days of the pioneers and the Wild West. It’s so absorbing that it takes more than a minute for you to realize that you have been divested of your foci, your pocketwatch, and your clothes.

You hear footsteps outside your room.

[] Stay where you are. Play it cool – you’re in unfamiliar territory right now.
[] Out the window! They might have your things, but there’s still the stuff you hid up a tree!
[] Surprise! Reclaim your stuff! Fortune favors the bold!
>> No. 19593
[x] Stay where you are. Play it cool – you’re in unfamiliar territory right now.
[x] Get ready for a fight, just in case.
>> No. 19608
[x] Stay where you are. Play it cool – you’re in unfamiliar territory right now.
[x] Get ready for a fight, just in case.
>> No. 19623
File 124177115158.jpg - (614.35KB , 720x1068 , 620b107fffad8c19346bcdba822afc80.jpg ) [iqdb]
19623
[x] Stay where you are. Play it cool – you’re in unfamiliar territory right now.
[x] Get ready for a fight, just in case.

No – now’s not the time for heroics; for all you know, you’ve been captured by the Technocracy, and there’s an HIT posted outside in case of any funny stuff. You hear the doorknob rattle, and you inhale a deep breath, preparing yourself for any interrogation that may ensue.

As the door swings open, and you see the person framed in the doorway, you realize one thing:

This is going to be much harder than you realize, for three reasons:

One. Said person is a girl.

Two. Said girl is CUTE.

Three. Said girl is holding a tray of food and drink.

“Ah,” she says. “You’re awake – good. Maybe now we can get something into you.” She sets the tray down on the nightstand, next to you.

“Go on,” she encourages.

You warily eye the tray, your gaze flicking back to the girl.

The girl speaks, breaking the tense moment.

“Look – I’m not your enemy; there’s no need to be afraid of me.”

“Easy to say for a person who I don’t know from Adam.”

A pause.

“True. Then, allow me to introduce myself. I am Kamishirasawa Keine, the teacher and guardian of this village.”

[] Write-in reply.
[] Standard reply.

If Standard reply, then choose:

[] Tell her everything.
[] Tell her only your name.
[] Tell her something in between.
>> No. 19631
[x] "The name's Sparrow"
[x] "What did you do with my stuff?"
[x] "Where exactly am I?"
[x] "Do you know who managed to knock me out back there? I'm pretty strong, so that was a first for me"
[x] "Can I really be sure you're not an enemy?"
>> No. 19633
[x] "The name's Sparrow"
[x] "What did you do with my stuff?"
[x] "Where exactly am I?"
[x] "Do you know who managed to knock me out back there? I'm pretty strong, so that was a first for me"
[x] "Can I really be sure you're not an enemy?"
>> No. 19634
[x] "The name's Sparrow"
[x] "What did you do with my stuff?"
[x] "Where exactly am I?"
[x] "Do you know who managed to knock me out back there? I'm pretty strong, so that was a first for me"
[x] "Can I really be sure you're not an enemy?"
>> No. 19640
File 124183281265.jpg - (574.55KB , 800x1131 , d07250264b7d6b38c2f93ba3037579b6.jpg ) [iqdb]
19640
[x] "The name's Sparrow"
[x] "What did you do with my stuff?"
[x] "Where exactly am I?"
[x] "Do you know who managed to knock me out back there? I'm pretty strong, so that was a first for me"
[x] "Can I really be sure you're not an enemy?"

“The name’s Sparrow,” you open. Keine tilts her head slightly.

“That’s an odd name for a person, is it not?”

“It’s the one I go by. Now, what did you do with my stuff?”

“It’s all here – and it’s yours as long as I can have your word that you won’t use it to attack the people here.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem, but we’ll see. Moving on, if you don’t mind my asking, where exactly am I?”

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”

“I’ve seen some weird things – try me.”

“You are in the realm of Gensokyo.”

“Never heard of it.”

“Of course you haven’t – technically, we don’t exist.”

You arch your eyebrows. “What do you mean?”

“There are some who can explain it better than I, but, more or less, Gensokyo is a realm of the illusory and fantastical, a place in the world where things considered unreal in the outside world exist.”

There’s silence for a few moments, and then you force yourself to ask the question that popped into your head.

“Like…magic?”

Keine nods. “Yes – and other things.”

At Keine’s response, you go crazy inside. If she’s right, this is a place where Consensus is for magic instead of against it! A place where you would be immune to Paradox, where you could cast all the vulgar magic you want, and never worry about the consequences! You want to dash outside right now, and shout your triumph to the heavens – but no, focus, focus. You have more questions.

“When I approached your house, someone snuck up on me and knocked me out - do you know who that was?”

Keine smiles. “As a matter of fact, I do.” You see her turn slightly to the doorway. “Mokou, are you going to apologize to our guest now?”

At first, nothing happens. Then, you see a hand reach around the doorframe, placed on the door itself. Next, half of a head appears, the other half obscured by the wall. The one eye you see is glaring at you, and the half a mouth is bent downwards in a frown.

“Come on, Mokou,” Keine says, coaxing this ‘Mokou’ person. “Say you’re sorry.”

There’s silence for a few seconds, and then with a fluttering sound, Mokou disappears, her footsteps pounding on the wood floor.

“Mokou! Come back here!” Keine shouts. She leans out the doorframe, but stops, looking in the direction Mokou ran off in. Turning back to you, she says:

“I’m sorry. Mokou isn’t great around new people, and the fact that she thinks you were some sort of criminal doesn’t help either.”

“It’s okay,” you reply. “I didn’t need an apology, I just wanted to know. One last question, though.”

“Yes?”

“How can I be sure you’re not an enemy?”

Keine chuckles once. “Do you really have to ask that? If I was your enemy, there’s been time between last night and now for me to do all sorts of things to you?”

“Maybe you wanted me alive.”

“Would I be offering you food and your equipment back if I did?”

You inhale to respond, then realize that she’s right – and you tell her so.

“Glad to see you’ve got a good head on your shoulders – you should do alright here, provided you don’t get in over your head.”

She rises. “Now, if you will excuse me, I have a class to go teach. You’re welcome to stay here, or check out the village if you like – if anyone gives you trouble, just tell them that you’re my guest.”

And with that, she leaves the room.

CHOOSE FROM THE MENUS BELOW

Before Keine leaves for class:

[] Give her your word that you won’t harm the humans here, and get your stuff back.
[] Don’t give her your word.

+

Once she’s gone:

[] Retrieve your stuff from the tree you hid it in.
[] Go to the village – maybe there’ll be some leads on your comrades.
[] Go to class with her – talk some more on the way.
[] Go practice magic in the area around the house.
[] Try and find this ‘Mokou’ person.

----------------------------------------------------

GAME NOTE: From now on, you may substitute all the standard options with a write-in.
>> No. 19645
[x] Give her your word that you won’t harm the humans here, and get your stuff back.
[x] Retrieve your stuff from the tree you hid it in.
[x] Go practice magic in the area around the house.
>> No. 19653
[x] Don’t give her your word.
[x] Get the stuff she took.
[x] Retrieve your other stuff from the tree you hid it in.
[x] Go to the village – maybe there’ll be some leads on your comrades.

She already has some trust for us. It'd be better not to go and reassure a promise we may not be able to keep.
>> No. 19654
[x] Don’t give her your word.
[x] Get the stuff she took.
[x] Retrieve your other stuff from the tree you hid it in.
[x] Go to the village – maybe there’ll be some leads on your comrades.
>> No. 19676
File 124193653283.jpg - (84.42KB , 477x600 , 9bc9afae8b7a1028baef937709c02235.jpg ) [iqdb]
19676
[x] Don’t give her your word.
[x] Get the stuff she took.
[x] Retrieve your other stuff from the tree you hid it in.
[x] Go to the village – maybe there’ll be some leads on your comrades.

Swinging yourself out of bed, you prepare to step outside, only to realize one thing: your clothes are still missing. Applying a little ingenuity, you shout out the door:

“Keine, where’re my clothes?!”

“In the closet!”

You look, and, lo and behold, there they are. Taking a few moments, you dress yourself. As you do, you think over Keine’s offer about getting your stuff back. But, the more you think about it, the more you realize that you can’t agree to it. Now clad in your usual garb, you go into the front room, where Keine is gathering up materials from the table.

“You coming?” she asks.

“Thought I’d take your suggestion about the human village seriously.”

“Good! Nice to see you’re adjusting well.”

“One other thing.”

“Hm?”

“I…” you begin, but the words die on your lips. Part of you wants to say nothing, but you realize that you can’t – you have to be honest.

“About your offer earlier – I can’t take it.”

Keine frowns. “This isn’t something complicated I’m asking – I just want your word that you won’t attack people.”

“I know that it’s simple – but I can’t, in all honesty, agree. I am a stranger in a strange land, and for all I know, danger lurks around every corner.”

“You won’t be in danger here.”


“Maybe not here, but elsewhere? I’m going to need some way to defend myself. So, I’m sorry, but I can’t agree to your terms.”

There is silence for a moment. Then, Keine nods.

“Your stuff is in the cabinet on the far right.”

Wait, what?!

“I’m glad to see that you’re not only smart, but cautious too.”

“Then, what was…?”

“A test, and you passed,” she states proudly. “It’s good to see that even when you’re in a disadvantaged position, you’re willing to stick to your convictions. Now, if you’ll pardon me, I’ll be off.”

And with that, she disappears out the door. Turning around, you walk across the front room and open the cabinet she indicated. There’s your stuff. You put the gloves on your hand, the guns into the dual shoulder rig your wear, and the glasses into your pocket. Then, you stroll outside.

Moving around the house, you locate the tree from last night. Climbing halfway up, you find your stuff. Carrying it down, you put it on, and carry it into the house, sliding under the bed in your room. You do pause a moment when you put the survival pack there, considering withdrawing the plasma caster within, but you decide against it – what you have should be enough for a jaunt into the village.

Speaking of, time to be going. Leaving the house again, you stroll down the path to the village. Once there, you take a few glances around. There seems to be a tavern or something, a handful of houses, and a few shops. On the edge of the village, there seems to seems to be a large gathering of people – no idea what that’s about. You also notice a black-haired girl, clad in white shirt and black skirt holding a notepad a short distance away. And…waitaminute, is that a MAID?!

[] Go to…[Pick Destination]
[] Investigate…[Choose]
>> No. 19677
[x] Go window-shopping.
[x] See what the commotion is about, but don't stick around too long.
[x] Maybe pick up a drink or two at the tavern. You could ask around if anybody has seen your comrades.
>> No. 19678
[x] Go window-shopping.
[x] See what the commotion is about, but don't stick around too long.
[x] Maybe pick up a drink or two at the tavern. You could ask around if anybody has seen your comrades.
>> No. 19757
Sorry about my absence - Mother's Day, horrendous schedule, 7 minutes, Lake, etc.


Updating now!
>> No. 19758
File 124224382121.jpg - (325.39KB , 1000x1130 , c59e1e3649764083d803e1edb423f395.jpg ) [iqdb]
19758
[x] Go window-shopping.
[x] See what the commotion is about, but don't stick around too long.
[x] Maybe pick up a drink or two at the tavern. You could ask around if anybody has seen your comrades.

You decide that perhaps looking around the stores for a bit, for any interesting trinkets (though it occurs to you that you don’t have much money) and then maybe the tavern – if playing all those games growing up taught you anything, it’s that the tavern is a place chock-full of rumors and other information.

But first, you want to see what exactly is happening in that crowd of people gathered at the edge of the street over there. You stroll over, only to hear a voice, shouting like the barker at a carnival midway. Getting closer, you now are able to put the voice to a face.

And it’s a rather nice face. Although, the fact that you’re looking at what appears to be a bunnygirl in a suit and skirt is somewhat strange, even for you.

You notice the sign next to her, promoting what appears to be medicinal remedies – probably homemade, and of no medical value whatsoever.

Now at the edge of the crowd, you notice that since you walked over, the mood seems to have changed. At first, the bunnygirl was confident, speaking self-assuredly, and the crowd was somewhat attentive. Now, however, she is shrinking back, her voice getting softer, and the crowd is starting to move towards the stand, jostling each other.

And then you realize:

[i[They’re closing in on the girl.[/i]

[] Do nothing – this is not your problem. Move on to the tavern, or to the shops.

[] You have to do something…but…what? [Specify Action]

~DESTINY LOCK~

--------------------------------
NOTES:

~DESTINY LOCK~ appears whenever your levels of Destiny reduce the number of options available to you in a given choice – it may not necessarily eliminate all options but 1, but it will eliminate at least 1 or more options.

Starting now, you may perform magic at any given choice – please specify the effect you wish to achieve, and the system will inform you if your magical abilities are sufficient to achieve the effect.
>> No. 19769
>>19758
>>19759
Are we able to use Remote Power Feed to cause a small disturbance that could catch the crowd's attention? If not, we do have our guns and gloves.

[x] Try to create some sort of distraction. Maybe a large explosion where there are no civilians - shoot at a hill, or in the sky.
>> No. 19770
>>19759

SYSTEM NOTIFICATION: You do not have enough levels in Mind.

>>19769

"Remote Power Feed"? Please explain.
>> No. 19772
>>19770
Requirements: Correspondence 2 Forces 2, or double of both for more power.

This Rote enables the mage to tap a power supply elsewhere to get lesser or greater forces to manipulate in some manner without having Prime 2. It can also be used to feed forces away from the area the VA is in to some other area.
>> No. 19774
>>19772

Good idea! But, where would you get the power supply? I'm not against the idea, but you'd need to have a reasonable idea as to where you could find one.
>> No. 19776
>>19774
That's easy; our gloves, or our glasses. They are electronic, are they not? And currently on-hand. In fact, we have two computers sitting back at Keine's place, or our pod that we landed in. But really, it doesn't need to be electricity, or at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be. It should just need to be pure energy, which can be found all around us. Take for instance, the first law of thermodynamics - heat is considered an energy source; the sun is present as well. The wind maybe. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, but we have the means to manipulate it. Of course, we don't have very strong correspondence or forces, so I'm not about to suggest anything too grand, though we should be able to increase the temperaure in the general area and make it really uncomfortable.

Then again, we could just use the physical means of distraction. Shoot our gun off into the distance, or use a very low-powered sonic wave to blow back the audience or send the bunny girl flying into our arms. Quite possibly, a mix of magic and technology, though if we have the resources both ways, the only use combining them for the current situation is to get an even bigger result.
>> No. 19789
>>19776

True. However, at this point, your levels in Forces aren't enough at this point for transmutation - you can channel and redirect, but not transmute.

I have my own personal ideas on how I'd resolve the situation, but Author Intervention is bad in my book.
>> No. 19790
[x] Use a combination of water and earth to turn the ground underneath them into mud and fire to bake their feet into the ground.
>> No. 19816
>>19790

That...

...could actually work! You'd use a different method for it, but yeah, you could definitely immobilize them that way.
>> No. 19892
>>19769 changing vote to >>19790

Please update.

>>19789
I don't think we need transmutation to redirect heat into the immediate area. We'd be relocating energy from a power-source and creating an open socket to flow freely. It'd turn the place into an oven. In fact, we could relocate that heat into the ground, to better situate the >>19790 idea. We still need a water source, though.
>> No. 19894
>>19892

Righto! Sorry about being so slow in getting on that - I was waiting for people to come to a consensus.

And don't worry about the whole mechanics of it - I've got it figured out.

Updating now!
>> No. 19895
[x] Immobilize the crowd – there’s got to be something around here you can use…

No time to waste – you’ve got to act fast if you want to help the girl. But what can you do? You glance around quickly, and upon spotting a well, a pile of wood, and a couple of still-lit torches, a plan quickly comes to mind.

First things first – you crouch, and place your gloves on the ground. Triggering the emitters, you send sonic waves thru the ground, loosening the soil beneath the feet of the crowd. A few start looking around, curious as to this new development.

Next. You whirl about, and sprint towards the well. Seeing the water at the bottom of it, you call upon your knowledge of Forces, and move the water out of the well and towards the crowd. You keep it above their heads, and then let it drop, soaking the people, and turning the ground into thick mud. Now they’re starting to notice, and almost all of them are looking around, trying to find the person responsible.

Not much time. You point your fingers at the torches, and direct the flames in them towards the pile of wood. A dozen seconds or so later, and you have a bonfire going. Right – now for the last step. Extracting the heat from the fire, you send it into the ground, quick-drying the mud, and baking the feet of the crowd into the soil.

They’re all working to try and get free, though – and more than a few people noticed the trick you pulled with the fire. They aren’t going anywhere, but not for very long – you’ve got maybe a minute before they’re all free again. And this time, you’re pretty sure that some of them will be after you.

You look towards the platform with the girl, who is staring at you in what could only be a shocked expression – girl’s probably never seen magic before. No matter – you and she need to get out of here!

[] Maneuver around the crowd, grab the girl’s hand, and make like an action hero – running away from the angry mob!
[] Shout at her to get out of here, and…
--- [] …hide yourself somewhere in the village.
--- [] …make for the schoolhouse. Maybe Keine can help you.
--- [] …make for Keine’s house. The plasma caster in your pack should be enough to scare the villagers off.

~DESTINY ACTIVE~ (1 of 1 level left for Day 1)
>> No. 19897
[x] Maneuver around the crowd(force your way through with brute strength if you must), grab the girl’s hand, and make like an action hero – running away from the angry mob!
--- [x] …hide yourself somewhere in the village, or outside of the village.

>>19894
It's no problem. I shouldn't have taken so long to change my vote.
>> No. 19898
[x] Maneuver around the crowd(force your way through with brute strength if you must), grab the girl’s hand, and make like an action hero – running away from the angry mob!
--- [x] …hide yourself somewhere in the village, or outside of the village.
>> No. 19903
[x] Maneuver around the crowd, grab the girl’s hand, and make like an action hero – running away from the angry mob!
[x] "What did you do!?"
>> No. 19991
Sorry, been busy - but I should have a lot of time to update starting in a week or so.

-----------------------------------------

[x] Maneuver around the crowd(force your way through with brute strength if you must), grab the girl’s hand, and make like an action hero – running away from the angry mob!
--- [x] …hide yourself somewhere in the village, or outside of the village.


Right – your little excursion can stand to wait now for a little while. You have more important things to do – namely, saving that girl from the mob! Since you’re about a dozen feet or so away from the start of the mob, AND since they’re currently clumped together in the earth trap you improvised, it’s easy to go around them towards the girl and the cart. As you move towards her, however, you start hearing cracking sounds. Tossing a glance over your shoulder, you see the crowd starting to break free of the ground.

The girl was still in shock by the time you reached her, her red eyes wide and slightly afraid (you think so, anyway). Softly, you hear her say:

“How did you…”

You want to let her finish her thought, but there are more pressing concerns – the crowd behind you being the biggest and most immediate. So, you interrupt:

“No time to explain!” With that, you grab her hand, turn yourself away from the crowd, and:

“Run for it!”

You sprint forward, the girl’s hand in yours. For a few moments, it feels like you’re pulling her; after that, however, you find that she keeps pace with you. As you run, you hear the scrabbling feet of the now-shouting mob behind you, chasing after you. After a couple minutes worth of running, you realize that, although you are outrunning the crowd, it would take more stamina than you probably have. Which means that you need another way to lose them – the gears of your mind begin to turn, churning out a plan. After another minute or so, you’ve come up with an idea.

You had considered heading into the forest, and the lifepod you’d arrived in Gensokyo in, but then you remembered that you’d left the GPS in your survival pack, and thus you’d be stumbling around blind. You’d also considered going back to Keine’s house, and hiding in the area nearby, but that was problematic because of the terrain between the village and the house – open ground with almost no cover. You decided that, although they undoubtedly know the area better, the best thing to do was hide in plain sight – i.e., somewhere in the village. You are snapped out of your introspection by the girl:

“Are we doing something, or are we going to be running all day?”

“Don’t worry! I just got an idea!”

Turning sharply, you head between two houses – and there’s your target: a window on the side of a house. It looks big enough to fit both of you – you pray that it’s open. Reaching the window, you push up on it, and it slides upward.

“Get in!”

“Fine. But no peeking!”

You face away from the window, scanning the end of the alley for signs of the crowd. After a few seconds, you hear the sounds associated with the girl trying to get in the window cease, and you turn back to see the window clear of obstructions. Taking your cue, you haul yourself inside, and close the window.

Looking around the room, you see:

Books. LOTS of books. Books at least knee-deep in height, with barely any space to move along the floor. Damn, whoever lives here must have a lot of time on their hands. You would continue to make guesses about the type of person or persons living in this house, but upon investigation of your own situation, you find the following.

One: you are currently bent over, hands and knees, on a rather soft bed.

Two: the girl you saved earlier is ALSO occupying the bed.

Three: she is occupying the space RIGHT BENEATH YOU, her arms raised above her head, and her cheeks slightly reddened.

You would have time to continue to state the facts that lead to the conclusion that you and she are in a compromising position, but both your head whip towards the door as you hear footsteps.

Crap, NOW what?

[] Stay absolutely still – maybe whoever’s outside will pass by.
[] You saw a closet in your brief once-over of the room. Get both yourselves inside it.
[] Back out the window – maybe the crowd has passed by now.
>> No. 19992
[] You saw a closet in your brief once-over of the room. Get both yourselves inside it.
>> No. 19993
[x] Stay absolutely still – maybe whoever’s outside will pass by.
[x] If anyone who looks like they're part of an angry mob does come in, back out the window!
[x] If they don't look like they're part of said mob, motion a finger to your mouth and ask them to stay quiet. Explain to them you need refuge.
>> No. 20092
Waiting here to update - I could use a consensus.
>> No. 20093
[x] Stay absolutely still – maybe whoever’s outside will pass by.
[x] If anyone who looks like they're part of an angry mob does come in, back out the window!
[x] If they don't look like they're part of said mob, motion a finger to your mouth and ask them to stay quiet. Explain to them you need refuge.

Sounds like a plan to me.
>> No. 20108
>>20093

Wow! My first namefag...

Updating now!
>> No. 20112
[x] Stay absolutely still – maybe whoever’s outside will pass by.
[x] If anyone who looks like they're part of an angry mob does come in, back out the window!
[x] If they don't look like they're part of said mob, motion a finger to your mouth and ask them to stay quiet. Explain to them you need refuge.

You remain as still as you can – you had considered making your way over to the closet, but you rejected the idea based on a number of potential problems. 1 – on the trip over there, you might upset some of the books, and thus signal your presence in the room. 2 – there might not be enough space for you and the girl inside the closet. 3 – whoever’s outside might just pass by. So, on the bed you remain, both eyes kept on the door.

But that doesn’t keep your ears from picking up on the sound of breath being inhaled – from the girl below you. Your eyes flick over, and you see that the girl’s mouth is open.

No! No speaking! No sound! You clamp a hand over her mouth, stifling whatever she might say.

It is, at that very moment, that the door decides to swing open.

Framed in the doorway is a young girl, almost a child. Her purple eyes take the scene in, requiring just a moment. They widen quite perceptibly. You mentally admit that, given what she’s seeing (you and a girl on a bed, your hand clamped over her mouth), you’d probably think something bad was happening too. You slowly take the hand off the girl’s mouth, and raise it to your lips, giving the universal sign for quiet.

For a moment, you see her look around, and then you see her pick up a small pad off a table near the door. She reaches into her sleeve, withdraws something, and then you see her doing something on the pad. A few seconds later, she turns the pad around. On it, it reads:

HIDING FROM MOB?

You nod up and down, once.

She then puts down the pad, and gives the universal sign for “follow me.”

You slide off the bed, being careful not to disturb any books, and walk out of the room, the rabbit girl behind you. You follow the short girl through the house, and duck into a windowless side room.

“There,” she states. “You should be okay now.”

“Now, I don’t believe I know you…”

She’s right – she doesn’t know you. And the rabbit girl doesn’t know you either.

[] Talk about…[Topic of Conversation, Subject of Conversation]
>> No. 20114
[x] "Ah, er, right. The name's Sparrow. I just arrived here. You see, my ship crashed and I was taken in by the guardian of the village, so I thought I'd explore the town for the time being, at least until I can find my comrades"
[x] "As for the mob, well..." look at the bunny girl "I don't know what you did, but I couldn't exactly leave you to your fate. Sorry about dragging you around like that. What happened, anyway?"
>> No. 20117
[x] "Ah, er, right. The name's Sparrow. I just arrived here. You see, my ship crashed and I was taken in by the guardian of the village, so I thought I'd explore the town for the time being, at least until I can find my comrades"
[x] "As for the mob, well..." look at the bunny girl "I don't know what you did, but I couldn't exactly leave you to your fate. Sorry about dragging you around like that. What happened, anyway?"
>> No. 20133
File 124355030070.jpg - (77.33KB , 285x330 , 291d82ac8969ad475bf8aae8b5de319e.jpg ) [iqdb]
20133
[x] "Ah, er, right. The name's Sparrow. I just arrived here. You see, my ship crashed and I was taken in by the guardian of the village, so I thought I'd explore the town for the time being, at least until I can find my comrades"
[x] "As for the mob, well..." look at the bunny girl "I don't know what you did, but I couldn't exactly leave you to your fate. Sorry about dragging you around like that. What happened, anyway?"

You nod slowly, and start the explanation/introduction.

“Ah, er, right. The name’s Sparrow – I just arrived here. You see, my ship crashed and I was taken in by the guardian of the village…” The short girl’s eyes light up, and she claps her hands together.

“Ah! You know Miss Keine! I’m one of her friends, Hieda no Akyu. I’m glad that I helped you out then, since you’re her guest.” A warm smile crosses her face.

…right. Moving on then.

“…so, seeing as how I’m stranded here, I thought I’d explore the town for the time being, at least until I can find my comrades. As for the angry mob, well…” Your gaze shifts from Akyu to the bunny girl. “I don’t know what you did, but I couldn’t exactly leave to your fate, Miss…?”

“Inaba. Reisen Inaba. But you can call me Reisen.”

“Ah. Well, sorry for dragging you about like that – what happened, anyway?”

“It’s nothing,” she replies with a dismissive wave of her hand. “I’m used to it anyway – I come into town about twice a month to sell my Master’s medicinal remedies, and most of the time the villagers behave, but occasionally – like today – they try and swarm me, with who knows what on their minds…” You see her head lower slightly, and her eyes become downcast as she says this – but not a moment later, both head and eyes pop back up. “But it’s okay! We’re all alright, and that’s what matters. Although, usually…” she trails off.

Usually what? You ask her. She smiles, shakes her head, and gives that same dismissive wave. “It’s not important. Besides, you were able to fend them off with your…magic? Magitech? What exactly did you do?”

You confirm it was magic, though some of it was accomplished using technological means – you even quote Arthur Clarke while doing it. You do leave out, however, that despite the fact that you performed vulgar magic in front of a CROWD of (you presume) Sleepers, there was no Paradox reaction – justifying it mainly because they’d probably have no idea what you were talking about.

“I see – so, you’re an outsider, then. And, you say that there are others like you missing? Then, perhaps…yes. How long did you say you’ve been here?”

You check the pocketwatch.

“A little less than twelve hours, I think. Why?”

“Because – my Master and I have a new patient, who, judging by his dress, is also an outsider. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you any more than that, due to the fact that he’s been unconscious for the vast majority of the time we’ve had him. So, if you wanted to come back to Eientei with me…you could.”

Akyu interjects at this point.

“And if you wanted to continue your search here, I’d be willing to help – I’m not Miss Keine, but the villagers respect me, and I don’t think they’d go after you if I’m around…”

Whatever it is you decide to do, one thing is clear: until the ruckus you caused dies down, you’re not going anywhere without an escort.

[] Go with Reisen – see this new patient.
[] Stay with Akyu – continue your search.

~DESTINY ACTIVE~ (1 level of 1 remaining for Day One)
>> No. 20153
[x] Go with Reisen – see this new patient.
>> No. 20344
Waiting to update...but I could use more than 1 vote...
>> No. 20346
[x] Go with Reisen – see this new patient.
>> No. 20458
[x] Go with Reisen – see this new patient.
>> No. 20495
File 124400843126.jpg - (254.90KB , 727x800 , 55603ac82e1f11a5d0a66203720a4466.jpg ) [iqdb]
20495
[x] Go with Reisen – see this new patient.

“Well,” you start, working yourself off of the floor – you’d sat down without even realizing it. “For the time being,” you turn to Reisen, “I think I’d better go with you – I can always come back to the village to resume my search later.” You nod to Akyu. “Thank you for your offer, though.”

“No problems. Follow me, and I’ll make sure the crowd’s not around.”

You and Reisen leave the side room, and follow Akyu to the front door. Akyu opens it, peeks out, and after a few seconds, moves aside.

“Coast is clear! Get going!”

You and Reisen bolt outside, as you follow her lead. Halfway to the treeline, you hear a shout. Your head whips around as you spot the vanguard of the angry crowd, still prowling the village.

“Reisen! We seem to have picked up some hitchhikers!” You see her head turn, and then she looks forward again.

“Right! Time to lose them!” And with that, she starts to…fly?

Holy crap, she’s flying! Well, you’re not one to be outdone, and, after a few moments, you too are flying thru the air – though in your case, it looks more like you swimming thru the air, as you redirect the kinetic energy made by your motion to propel you forward. You manage to keep pace, though Reisen does have a small lead on you. Soon enough, you come to a bamboo forest.

“Stay close,” you hear her say. “I don’t want you getting lost in here.”

After a while, you notice Reisen slowing down, and you follow suit. Then, you notice it. A huge, Oriental-style mansion, stretching endlessly as far as you can see. You cannot find the word to describe the size of this place. Massive? Can’t even come close to it. Gigantic? No way. Huge? Uh-huh. You turn to Reisen.

“This…is where you live?”

“Mhm. It’s called Eientei. Now, follow me, and I suggest you be on your best behavior while inside.” She slides open the large front door, and she steps thru, with you right behind her. You hear a chorus of voices saying,

“Welcome back, Miss Reisen!”

As you look around, you note that there are several rabbits, either of the standard animal variety, or bunny…persons?...like Reisen. Staying close to Reisen, you follow her through what seems to be corridor after corridor, until there seems to be an abrupt change in décor – one minute, you’re standing in a traditional Asian manor, and the next, inside a modern medical clinic.

“Please wait here,” you hear Reisen say. “I’ll be right back.” And with that, she disappears into the depths of the clinic.

As you wait, you take a quick look around the reception area. It really is set up like a modern medical clinic – check-in station, chairs (though you don’t recognize the style at all), and a few tables. You move towards the door nearest the reception, and are reaching for the door handle when you hear a silky smooth voice.

“My~! What do we have here? An intruder, perhaps?”

You turn to the sound of the voice, only to see a rather buxom woman dressed in red and blue looking at you, a coy smile on her face, and a knowing gleam in her eyes. You stare, as if mesmerized by her, until Reisen breaks the spell, coming back into the reception room.

“I’m sorry, Sparrow, it would appear that my Master is-Ah! Master!”

The silver-haired woman turns back to Reisen. “Udonge, you brought him here?” Her smile grows even more coy. “Or, perhaps, he followed you home?”

Reisen’s face turns red. “Master, it’s not like that! He’s an outsider, and he mentioned looking for friends, so I thought that our patient might be one of them! It’s not like I wanted to bring him here!”

“I see. Well, come with me, and I shall show you our patient.”

Following the woman and Reisen, you pass through a few corridors, arriving at a what is obviously a medical ward. Almost all the beds are empty. Almost. At the end of the right hand row is a man in bed, whom you recognize instantly.

It’s Captain Farrow.

“So,” the woman states. “Is he one of yours?”

[] Yes
[] No
[] Write-in. Be awesome.
>> No. 20518
[x] "Captain my captain. Yes, he is one of mine. The fool wanted to go down with the ship. I had to pry him out from under a very large amount of wreckage... How bad of a condition is he currently in?"
>> No. 20521
[X] >>20518
>> No. 20573
[X] >>20518
>> No. 20692
>>20690
Hooray!
>> No. 20693
File 124451343180.jpg - (169.96KB , 600x827 , fba55788395297465daa07b90399bd2f.jpg ) [iqdb]
20693
[x] "Captain my captain. Yes, he is one of mine. The fool wanted to go down with the ship. I had to pry him out from under a very large amount of wreckage... How bad of a condition is he currently in?"

You nod slowly, exhaling at the familiar sight of your superior.

“Captain, my captain.”

You turn towards the silver-haired woman.

“Yes, he is one of mine. The fool wanted to go down with the ship – I had to pry him out from under a very large amount of wreckage…how bad is his condition?”

The woman frowns, a dark look briefly passing thru her eyes.

“It’s not good. He has extensive internal injuries, and has multiple broken bones. Were I on the Moon, with access to my usual supplies and laboratory equipment, it would be but a trifle to heal the injuries he currently possesses. A day, or perhaps two, at the most. Here, however, I’m decidedly limited in what I can do – I’ve already set his broken bones, but at the moment, the most I can do is keep him stable, and rely on his body to fix itself. At the current rate, however, that would probably take months.”

You feel your shoulders sag, and your expression undoubtedly turns pleading.

“Is there nothing that you can do?”

“At the moment. I am, however, working on a special project that has a potential application for this situation. But…”

“But?”

“But. It is far from completion, and could potentially take just as long as natural healing.”

“I see,” you reply, looking back towards the Captain. You feel your heart sinking as you do – here you are, having saved his life, but he’s not going to be able to help you find the others, or even lead, for MONTHS. The silver-haired woman interrupts your reverie.

“Since you know Udonge, I shall take the moment to introduce myself. I am Eirin Yagokoro, doctor and pharmacist of Eientei.”

The tone of her voice leaves you with the impression that you should introduce yourself.

[] Introduction
[] Discuss [Subject] with [Person]
[] Investigate [Object/Person/Etc]
[] Go to [Location]
>> No. 20694
[x] "Sparrow. It's very nice to meet you, miss Yagokoro."
[x] Discuss with Eirin "Is there anything I could do to help with his situation? Perhaps try and speed up your project progress?"
[x] Discuss with Eirin "Have you found any others like him? Is he in too unstable a condition to speak right now? Where exactly did you discover his location?"
[x] Investigate the Captain and his belongings. Perhaps you could find some clues to the whereabouts of the others and his pod.
--[x] If the captain is able to speak, try asking him questions about the others, his pod, and how he got here.
--[x] Make a mental note to visit Akyu later.

What about our nano-machine project? Would we be able to use it for medical treatment? We could possibly dismantle a pod and use the spare parts to work on it so that it's possible.
>> No. 20695
[x] "Sparrow. It's very nice to meet you, miss Yagokoro."
[x] Discuss with Eirin "Is there anything I could do to help with his situation? Perhaps try and speed up your project progress?"
[x] Discuss with Eirin "Have you found any others like him? Is he in too unstable a condition to speak right now? Where exactly did you discover his location?"
[x] Investigate the Captain and his belongings. Perhaps you could find some clues to the whereabouts of the others and his pod.
--[x] If the captain is able to speak, try asking him questions about the others, his pod, and how he got here.
--[x] Make a mental note to visit Akyu later.
>> No. 20706
Called. Updating now.

>>20694

You'll find out soon enough~
>> No. 20708
File 124456764549.jpg - (105.54KB , 900x989 , db4cc3f761741f1dfa554100f134aada.jpg ) [iqdb]
20708
[x] "Sparrow. It's very nice to meet you, miss Yagokoro."
[x] Discuss with Eirin "Is there anything I could do to help with his situation? Perhaps try and speed up your project progress?"
[x] Discuss with Eirin "Have you found any others like him? Is he in too unstable a condition to speak right now? Where exactly did you discover his location?"
[x] Investigate the Captain and his belongings. Perhaps you could find some clues to the whereabouts of the others and his pod.
--[x] If the captain is able to speak, try asking him questions about the others, his pod, and how he got here.
--[x] Make a mental note to visit Akyu later.


You reply to Eirin, returning her introduction with yours.

“Sparrow. It’s very nice to meet you, Miss Yagokoro. Now, if I may, I have a few questions I’d like to ask…”

Eirin nods. “Very well. Ask away.”

“Is there anything I can do to help Captain Farrow? Perhaps try and speed up your project progress?”

Eirin shakes her head. “This project works on a scale that you are, in all likelihood, not even remotely familiar with. Even Udonge doesn’t have the all the scientific knowledge needed to fully understand it. So, for the time being, I’m afraid you won’t be able to help me.”

You seriously doubt that, but you’ve got more questions to ask, so you let it pass for now.

“So, there’s nothing I can do?”

“I didn’t say that. There is ONE thing you could do to help. It would, however, require a substantial time investment on your part…”

You motion for her to continue.

“There is a plant that I can use to create a pharmaceutical that would decrease his healing time from months to weeks. The plant, however, is a rarity here in Gensokyo – I only know of one place it grows, and that particular spot is running low. If, however, you can find another patch…” Eirin trails off, letting you make the conclusion.

“I see. Next, question, then. Have you found any others like him?”

“I’m afraid not. However, we only are aware of things that happen here, and in the human village, for the most part. You might want to ask the Hakurei shrine maiden – she’s traveled all over Gensokyo. Your next question?”

“Is the Captain in too unstable a condition to speak right now?”

“No, but he spends most of the day asleep, as per my orders. However…Udonge?”

Reisen responds. “Yes, Master.”

“Bring me one of the spare transceivers.”

“Right away, Master.” With that, Reisen disappears.

You cock your head. “What’s that about?”

“You’ll see in a minute. Did you have other questions?”

Come to think of it, you did. Right. Moving on then.

“Where exactly did you discover his location?”

“He and his lifepod crashed down not far outside of here, in the bamboo forest – it made such a ruckus that we sent Udonge and a dozen rabbits out to investigate, fearing possible intrusion. Upon discovering him, we brought him to the clinic immediately, and the following morning, we sent a group of rabbits out to retrieve the lifepod.”

“So, it’s here?”

“Oh yes. It’s here. There’s not much in it, but it is here.”

“Could I see the lifepod, and the items you retrieved from it? It might help me with something I’m working on.”

“Certainly. His personal effects are this way. Follow me.” With that, Eirin turns, and walks towards the back of the clinic, her long braid swishing behind her.

Turning into one of the myriad of rooms, you see that the room is vaguely set up like one of the criminalistics laboratories you’ve seen on Sleeper TV. On one of the tables are a few stray items – you recognize them as the Captain’s foci. You look to Eirin.

“Did you find anything else?”

She shakes her head. “No. This was all he had on him.”

You mentally nod. That makes sense – you rescued him from the bridge, with only seconds to spare before the destruction of the ship. He wouldn’t have been able to retrieve his things, no one else would have done it for him, and you had no time.

“I see. Thank you.”

“It’s no problem.”

As you leave the room, you run into Reisen, who is carrying a strange looking device, about the size of your trinary computer.

“Here you are, Master.”

“Thank you, Udonge.” Eirin then turns to you. “This is a special communications device we use on occasion. It will allow you to contact Eientei from almost anywhere in Gensokyo. When the Captain awakens, I will contact you, and you may ask him whatever questions you might have.”

She spends a minute or so explaning how to use the device, and then turns it over to you.

“Is there anything else?”

[] Discuss [Subject] with [Person]
[] Investigate [Object/Person/Etc]
[] Go to [Location]
[] Perform [Magical Effect Desired]
[] Check Pocketwatch
>> No. 20717
[x] "No, I believe that is all. Thank you, miss Yagokoro, miss Reisen."
[x] Investigate the captain's things. See if there is anything of use. Pocket what you can.
[x] Check Pocketwatch.
[x] Go back to the village. Try and find Akyu or miss Keine. They may be able to help you find the Hakurei shrine maiden, after they give you their own brand of help, that is.

Mental Note: Put 1(2 if possible) in Correspondence and 1 in Time the next level-up. Teleportation would really help us out.
>> No. 20722
>>20717

Quick note there: Sparrow's Specialty is Forces - meaning that no other magic category can be higher than it. So, if you want to raise Correspondence (and yes, at level 3, you can essentially teleport), you must also raise Forces to that level.
>> No. 20724
>>20722
Right, we have 2 1/2 forces. How often are we going to be seeing libraries?
>> No. 20729
>>20724

Well, in the stuff you brought from the Osiris, you have Library resources up to level 3 in Forces - and keep in mind, Library just makes things cheaper.

Also, it's not out of the question for you to find a library here in Gensokyo by the end of the day...should you play your cards right...
>> No. 20808
Still waiting...or is everyone on board with >>20717?
>> No. 20830
[x] "No, I believe that is all. Thank you, miss Yagokoro, miss Reisen."
[x] Investigate the captain's things. See if there is anything of use. Pocket what you can.
[x] Check Pocketwatch.
[x] Go back to the village. Try and find Akyu or miss Keine. They may be able to help you find the Hakurei shrine maiden, after they give you their own brand of help, that is.

>>20808
With the amount of bandwagoning that happens here, I think the other voters believe that just one vote is really all that's required.
>> No. 20833
>>20830

I guess that's true...but I'd still like more than one vote, even if it's only for show...updating now!
>> No. 20835
[x] "No, I believe that is all. Thank you, miss Yagokoro, miss Reisen."
[x] Investigate the captain's things. See if there is anything of use. Pocket what you can.
[x] Check Pocketwatch.
[x] Go back to the village. Try and find Akyu or miss Keine. They may be able to help you find the Hakurei shrine maiden, after they give you their own brand of help, that is.

You shake your head.

“No, I believe that is all. Thank you, miss Yagokoro, miss Reisen. I will just go thru the Captain’s things, and then I will be on my way.”

Eirin nods. “Very well. Udonge, I trust you will see him out?”

“Of course.”

With that, Eirin turns and walks away. Reisen looks to you.

“When you’re done here, I’ll see to it that you get back to the human village.”

“Right.” You return to the table with the Captain’s two foci: a forearm-length of ebony wood, with runes and glyphs carved all over it, and a small, paperback-sized book. You take a brief moment to open it, and are confronted with a series of characters you couldn’t even begin to recognize – must be one of the those weird language you always hear the Hermetics studying. Pocketing both book and rod, you return to Reisen at the door.

“You ready?”

Looking back over your shoulder in the direction of the Captain’s room, you nod.

“Yeah. Let’s go.”

You follow Reisen out of Eientei, traversing the myriad of corridors again until you reach the front door. Once outside, you both eschew flight, settling instead on walking a dirt path back to the village. You and Reisen talk en route to your destination.

“I’m sorry about what happened to your Captain…”

“No, it’s…okay. Our lives are fraught with danger – death is an everyday reality for us. You get used to it after a while.”

“Now, by ‘us,’ you mean…?”

Oh, right. You never told her who you were.

“Mages. Magic-users. Reality-benders. That’s what the Captain and I am.”

“I see.” A pause. “Still…I don’t think I could’ve done what you did.”

You give Reisen a questioning glance.

“I mean, if Master and I had been in that situation, in place of you and the Captain, I don’t think I could’ve reacted as coolly as you did.”

You take a moment to think over her statement. And you realize she’s right. There you were, confronted with an incredibly depressing reality – saving a man’s life only to learn that it will be a long while before he’s able to fully recover – and aside from asking Eirin what could be done, you barely batted and eyelash.

“I guess so.”

Soon after, you arrive at the edge of the bamboo forest – you can make out traces of the human village. You bid Reisen farewell, and as she flies off, you check your pocketwatch.

[Current Time: 12:47 PM]

Right. So, now it’s time to track down Miss Kei…

“Stop right there!”

Your head whips around, and you spot the source of the voice…it’s that girl from this morning…who was she, again?

“Don’t play cute with me – you know exactly who I am! Your boss told you all about me!”

It’s then that you realize you vocalized the last part of your wonderings – and then you ask her another question.

“Whoa! What boss?”

“You know what boss! Her Royal High-and-Mightiness, that bitch Kaguya!”

Kaguya? You don’t know a single person by that name.

“Look, you’ve got the wrong idea…”

“Oh, do I? You try and sneak into Keine’s house at night, looking for me, no doubt. Even though I managed to knock you out, you sweet-talk Keine into letting you go – she’s still a softy like that…and the moment our backs are turned, you go running back to Eientei to make a report. You might’ve fooled Keine, but I’m not so stupid!”

You try to defend yourself.

“I can explain!”

“That’s what all Kaguya’s hired thugs say…and I’ll tell you the same thing I told them.”

With a click of her fingers, a ball of fire appears in her right hand.

“I am Fujiwara no Mokou. And I have fought assassins fare more older, experienced, and skilled than you. And I am still here.”

Crap…not good.

~COMBAT SYSTEM ENGAGED~
Round 1: Please choose your actions.

[] Magic – Input desired effect
[] Sonic Gloves
[] Handgun – Rounds currently left: 20 (+ 1 Spare Magazine of 10)
[] Other Action

Successes Needed for:
Victory - ??
Defeat - ??

---------------------------------------------------
EXPLANATION OF COMBAT SYSTEM

When confronted with a hostile opponent, the combat system will automatically engage. While in combat, you can choose from a series of actions that will either accumulate victory successes, defeat successes, or neither. Accumulation of enough victory successes means you win the combat, while accumulation of too many defeat successes means you lose.

Each round, you may choose from any of the actions presented on the list, ones that you come up with. You may perform as many actions as you like – however, performing more than one action reduces the success rate of all actions.

You currently have available to you two special items: your twin handguns, which carry explosive rounds, and the plasma caster in your survival pack. Either of these items enable you to have an automatic victory success the first time you use them. However, each subsequent usage reduces the chance of a victory success. Furthermore, your handguns are limited by the fact that you possess limited ammunition.

Do you have any more questions? If so, please input.
>> No. 20839
[x] Handgun – Rounds currently left: 20 (+ 1 Spare Magazine of 10)
-[x] Fire two (2) shots in succession--one in the chest and one in the abdomen.

She's unlikely to have dealt with gun-users before, and even if she has, a bullet is too fast to be dodged. It also won't be impeded by a wall of fire. Firing two shots because we want to make the kill certain before she can works out what exactly we're doing and tries to burn the guns out of our hand.
>> No. 20840
[x] Sonic Gloves - Mid level burst.
[x] Try to rupture her inner ear and disrupt her equilibrium.
>> No. 20841
[x] Handgun – Rounds currently left: 20 (+ 1 Spare Magazine of 10)
-[x] Fire two (2) shots in succession--one in the chest and one in the abdomen.
>> No. 20842
>>20839

Why are you firing two rounds?
Did you actually read what he said?

"Either of these items enable you to have an automatic victory success the first time you use them."
>> No. 20843
[x] Sonic gloves - High level burst.
[x] The moment she's off her feet, get into an accurate enough position to fire off one round into her center.

Grenade-pistol, you only need one shot. If she doesn't die from that, we can just crush her head.
>> No. 20844
[x] Sonic gloves - High level burst.
[x] The moment she's off her feet, get into an accurate enough position to fire off one round into her center.
>> No. 20845
[x] Sonic gloves - High level burst.
[x] The moment she's off her feet, get into an accurate enough position to fire off one round into her center.

Changing vote.
>> No. 20874
File 124543717981.jpg - (224.02KB , 561x417 , Beretta9000s.jpg ) [iqdb]
20874
[x] Sonic gloves - High level burst.
[x] The moment she's off her feet, get into an accurate enough position to fire off one round into her center.

No time to think – just react, like Kiyomi taught you. You immediately raise your left hand, and mash down hard on the sonic emitter, letting loose with all it’s got. You see where the wave travels along the ground, eventually slamming into the silver-haired girl. She obviously hasn’t had any experience dealing with someone using sonic waves, because the first impact takes her off her feet, sending her flying a few meters in the air.

That bought you only a few seconds.

But it’s all you need.

Reaching into your longcoat, you whip out one of your specialty handguns, training it on the spot where Mokou fell. You hold there, waiting for the moment to shoot. As Mokou rises, you aim for center of mass, and as soon as it appears, you pull the trigger.

The bullet flies out of your pistol with deadly accuracy, slamming into Mokou’s abdomen, and exploding there, sending blood spraying, and the girl herself flying backwards through the air, eventually settling into a heap on the ground. You don’t put your gun away immediately, keeping it trained on Mokou. After a few moments pass, however, you slowly return it to its holster in your shoulder rig. Letting out a sigh, you turn away from the scene, and begin walking towards the village. You’re not sure how, but you’ll need to come up with an explanation for Keine…and while your Life magic isn’t good enough, maybe there’s someone here that practices powerful healing magic…

Your internal reverie is rudely interrupted by the sensation of something slamming into your back, sending you flopping onto the ground. You quickly realize that it was some sort of fiery projectile, and you roll quickly on the ground, putting out the flames. Getting to your feet, you look in the direction of the attack, only to see…

Mokou. Standing there absolutely fine, seemingly ignoring the GAPING HOLE in her stomach.

What the HELL?!

But that’s when you notice something.

The huge hole in her gut isn’t as huge anymore.

In fact…it’s getting smaller…smaller…smaller…and it closes itself up. The only evidence of your shot now is the damage done to the men’s shirt she wears, which now exposes young, healthy, female skin. You look up, meeting her gaze.

She grins at you, a dark, sinister grin, promising pain.

“Oh, guess I didn’t tell you. Like your little miss princess…

I AM IMMORTAL!”

Immortal?

As in lives forever?

As in undying?

Oh, shit.

How the hell are you supposed to fight something that doesn’t die?!

That’s when the little voice in the back of your head says:

You don’t. You run.

And one other thing becomes clear: as strong as that fireblast was, you can’t take too many more of those.

Round 2: Please choose your actions.

[] Magic – Input desired effect
[] Sonic Gloves
[] Handgun – Rounds currently left: 19 (+ 1 Spare Magazine of 10)
[] Other Action

Successes Needed for:
Victory – 1/??
Defeat – 1/4
>> No. 20879
[x] This is a battle you can't win so GTFO
>> No. 20893
[x] Use Portable Sun. Get it close to try and blind her.
[x] Let off one more round into her center.
[x] Run for the village for all you're worth. Fly if you must; whatever it takes to get away from her.

Hell if I know the spell will work, but we'll at least have a head-start.
>> No. 20894
>And one other thing becomes clear: as strong as that fireblast was, you can’t take too many more of those.

Problem: We took that blast from behind. Simply running would likely lead to another blast, from behind. Which we cannot take much more of.

The fight-or-flight instinct did not evolve in an environment where the predator happened to be the Terminator. We have to settle this altercation now, before it becomes a bad habit.

[x] "Immortal? How nice for you. I however am not, so would you fuck off, kindly?"
[x] Sonic Gloves
-[x] Attempt to deflect her next fireball right back at her.
-[x] If success: "Mokou? More like 'Smoke-o'! Fujiwara, I hardly knew ya."
-[x] If partial success: Use the time to drop your pack and take out the plasma caster. "I also like to play with fire; however this fire probably burns a few thousand degrees hotter than you're used to."
-[x] If failure: "On the other hand, I'm finding 'death via immolation' sounding more and more preferable to this continued & increasingly repetitive existence."

Sound is just compressed air. The concussion blast will definitely fling the fireball back at her, but if it's too strong, it will disperse it completely.

Taking out the plasma caster is important, because you'll probably be able to end this with the threat of collateral damage: Neither of you want to start a forest fire.
>> No. 20896
>>20894
What's a mage without his corny one-liners, eh?
>> No. 20899
>>20896

When someone is in your way, and you can't kill them, you may still be able to drive them away by making it too painful for them to go on. Now physical pain might not deter Mokou, but psychic pain inflicted by terrible jokes might.

Or, more seriously, the point would be to look as un-Kaguya-like as possible, hoping that it's not simply the killing she enjoys, but who she's killing.
>> No. 20923
>>20899
If you really want to mess with her psyche, we DO have a pair of x-ray glasses on hand, if you catch my drift. On a more serious note, I did want to do something with them to find a weak spot in her anatomy, or possibly displace the sonic waves from our gloves to scramble her brain. Unfortunately, my own brain is too scrambled to come up with a good write-in at the moment. But hey, it's our first battle, why not make it epic?

I'll relinquish my vote from >>20893 if only to keep this story moving, but I'd like some suggestions on a good way to put together my ideas, if anybody's willing.

Of course, if we lose and/or die, I place the blame solely on you.
>> No. 20926
Assuming that >>20894 is the general consensus...

Updating now!
>> No. 20927
File 124560458295.jpg - (724.70KB , 1000x1000 , fcfc15bc40f5c53beb8581004d27d050.jpg ) [iqdb]
20927
For future reference, your 2 levels in Forces are enough to redirect any sort of force sent at you, you needn't use your gloves to do so.

------------------------------------------

[x] "Immortal? How nice for you. I however am not, so would you fuck off, kindly?"
[x] Sonic Gloves
-[x] Attempt to deflect her next fireball right back at her.
-[x] If success: "Mokou? More like 'Smoke-o'! Fujiwara, I hardly knew ya."
-[x] If partial success: Use the time to drop your pack and take out the plasma caster. "I also like to play with fire; however this fire probably burns a few thousand degrees hotter than you're used to."
-[x] If failure: "On the other hand, I'm finding 'death via immolation' sounding more and more preferable to this continued & increasingly repetitive existence."

She’s immortal.

Immortal!

Well, you’re not about to let that shake you badly – you’ve stared down Nephandi, Marauders, and Technocrats by the score – and to paraphrase Mokou herself: you’re still here.

One immortal? That’s nothing. You grin back at her.

“Immortal? How nice for you. I, however, am not. So, would you fuck off, kindly?”

Mokou’s grin only deepens, and she voices her response with another firebolt.

But this time, you’re ready. As it nears you, you carefully bring up your hand and redirect the fire around your body, raising it up over your head, and pitching it back at her. You don’t expect it to do anything – she can create fire, so she can probably manipulate it better than you can – but you know it’ll take time for her, which is all you need. You reach around back to the small bag of the things you took out of your survival pack, which includes the one thing you need right now: the Sons of Ether-made plasma caster. You whip it out, and point it at Mokou.

"I also like to play with fire; however this fire probably burns a few thousand degrees hotter than you're used to."

“Oh, does it now?” Mokou’s voice is challenging. “Well, that doesn’t matter to me…”

“It should. It makes a bigger boom that you do.” You don’t want to start a forest fire, but maybe the threat of it will make Mokou back down.

You see results – the manic grin drops from Mokou’s face, and her expression goes flat.

“You wouldn’t dare…

“Try me.”

Round 3: Please choose your actions.

[] Magic – Input desired effect
[] Sonic Gloves
[] Handgun – Rounds currently left: 19 (+ 1 Spare Magazine of 10)
[] Plasma Caster
[] Other Action

Successes Needed for:
Victory – 1/??
Defeat – 1/4
>> No. 20929
[x] "How about a trade? I let you keep your forest, but you will escort me back to the village. God knows how many more nutjobs are lying in wait to shank us hapless wayfarers."
[x] If she doesn't flee or surrender, give her a taste of the plasma caster.
-[x] Make a comment about futility and her increasing state of undress as she regenerates, while you set your sonic gloves to stun and aim the caster at the forest.
-[x] If she charges you, once she gets into melee range drop the caster and use the sonic gloves to box her ears, giving her a concussion and disorienting her. Then attempt to knock her out without killing her.
-[x] If she doesn't, light up the forests. Someone will notice the smoke eventually, and since she is obviously fire-user, she'll be the one they most suspected at instigating it.

Even if our attacks don't kill her, they can still mortify her in giving up by stripping her naked. Although she'll probably seek revenge in that case. The other method is more economical with our ammunition as well as ending this with some finality; after you knock her out you can carry her to Keine's. She'll probably be half naked by then anyway and will need clothes.
>> No. 20932
[x] Now that she's listening, try to reason with her again. Out of the two people you met at Eientei, neither were named Kaguya. You also wouldn't even try to take on an immortal, that's just insane. Plus, if you really wanted to kill her, you'd have asked around for her whereabouts, or even tried killing Keine.
[x] Of course, if she isn't willing to listen, proceed with >>20929 vote.

Hopefully, now that the rage is dying down, she may be more willing to communicate. If not, well, we don't have any provisions to speak of, like Moukou-Jerky.
>> No. 20933
[x] Now that she's listening, try to reason with her again. Out of the two people you met at Eientei, neither were named Kaguya. You also wouldn't even try to take on an immortal, that's just insane. Plus, if you really wanted to kill her, you'd have asked around for her whereabouts, or even tried killing Keine.
[x] Of course, if she isn't willing to listen, proceed with >>20929 vote.
>> No. 21342
Right...back to it, then. Sorry about the disappearance.
>> No. 21343
File 124808190576.png - (639.67KB , 922x702 , d532f0042bdf4ec16fc394d693a37760.png ) [iqdb]
21343
[x] Now that she's listening, try to reason with her again. Out of the two people you met at Eientei, neither were named Kaguya. You also wouldn't even try to take on an immortal, that's just insane. Plus, if you really wanted to kill her, you'd have asked around for her whereabouts, or even tried killing Keine.
[x] Of course, if she isn't willing to listen, proceed with:
[x] "How about a trade? I let you keep your forest, but you will escort me back to the village. God knows how many more nutjobs are lying in wait to shank us hapless wayfarers."
[x] If she doesn't flee or surrender, give her a taste of the plasma caster.
-[x] Make a comment about futility and her increasing state of undress as she regenerates, while you set your sonic gloves to stun and aim the caster at the forest.
-[x] If she charges you, once she gets into melee range drop the caster and use the sonic gloves to box her ears, giving her a concussion and disorienting her. Then attempt to knock her out without killing her.
-[x] If she doesn't, light up the forests. Someone will notice the smoke eventually, and since she is obviously fire-user, she'll be the one they most suspected at instigating it.

Okay, the plasma caster’s had the effect you wanted: it’s stopped Mokou’s crazy murder attempt, and caused her to THINK for a moment. Which means that it’s prime time to open up negotiations again, with hopefully a little more success than last time.

“Can we just calm down here, for a second, and talk?”

Her reply is instant, her voice so thick with sarcasm you could cut it with a dull butter knife.

“Says the one that just threatened my forest.”

“If it makes you feel any better, I don’t want to do any more than necessary to defend myself. So, just let me say my piece, and if you decide you still want to attack me, then by all means…” you let your voice trail off, allowing her to make the conclusion.

She draws a deep, heavy breath, and lets it out.

“You’ve got three minutes.”

Right, time for an impromptu speech.

“Okay, first point: yes, I did go to Eientei – denying that would be stupid. However, I only met two people there, and neither of them were named Kaguya – as a fact, until you mentioned it, I’d never even heard of the name before.”

Mokou makes a small scoffing noise, but you continue.

“Two: even if I had met her, I would never agree to take on someone who’s immortal. For two reasons. A: I’m crazy, not stupid. And B: I’ve got this thing about death – it’s just not me.”

That last part elicits a chuckle from her. Good. Maybe if you say enough funny things, you’ll be upgraded from ‘Must Kill’ to ‘Mildly Amusing.’

“And even if I did agree to such an idiotic thing, don’t you think I would’ve come up with a plan, rather than just going out blindly, and hoping to beat you in a fight?”

“Maybe I found you before you could come up with a plan.”

“Well, hang on there. Think about this: if I knew that Eientei was a place that you couldn’t be, and I was safe there, why would I leave before coming up with a plan?”

Mokou goes quiet.

Moments pass.

You don’t like this silence: part of you wants to run for your life, and get somewhere, ANYWHERE that’s safe. But you stand your ground, and soon enough, the silence is broken.

“What’s going on here?”

You recognize the voice as familiar, and you look over your shoulder to see the familiar figure of Keine gliding through the air as she softly touches down on the ground.

Mokou points an accusing finger at you, your whole speech apparently forgotten.

“He’s one of Kaguya’s assassins!”

Keine sighs, and folds her arms across, you note, a rather impressive chest.

“We’ve been over this, Mokou. He’s NOT an assassin.”

“How do you know?!”

“You know perfectly well how!”

Mokou growls for a minute. “Fine! I won’t kill him…for now.” She turns slightly, glaring down the length of the arm currently pointed at you. “But you better watch yourself! I find out you’re working for Kaguya…” she draws her arm across her neck, and then flies off into the forest. And despite the death threat, you find yourself thinking only one thing:

…can EVERYONE fly here?

The sound of Keine’s footsteps breaks your internal train of thought, and you turn towards her, only for her hands to grab a hold of your shoulders.

“Hold still.” She turns you this way and that, her hands probing. As she does, you marvel at just how soft her hands are, and how worry-filled her eyes are, despite having just met you. After a little less than a minute, she tells you:

“Looks like your little scuffle with Mokou was serious – you’d better come back to my house, I can help treat your injuries…”

~COMBAT SYSTEM DISENGAGED~

~COMBAT REPORT~

~CONDITIONS FOR VICTORY: ACHIEVED~

~TOTAL COMBAT VICTORIES: 1~

[] Discuss [Subject] with [Person]
[] Investigate [Object/Person/Etc]
[] Go to [Location]
[] Perform [Magical Effect Desired]
[] Check Pocketwatch
>> No. 21345
[x] Go to Keine's house with Keine, allow her to treat your injuries.
[x] Discuss Mokou and Kaguya's feud.
-[x] Discuss Mokou's immortality and control of fire magic.
-[x] Ask if she regularly attacks people, and if she has any advice on getting her to lay off, preferably not involving killing her repeatedly or burning down her forest.
-[x] Tell Keine you need to confront Mokou again, because if she attacked you for good reason, she could do the same to your friends, especially since they'd be wearing similar clothing.
[x] Discuss the circumstances under which you left the village: Escaping a mob with Reisen, and went to Eientei after Akyu provided you refuge.
-[x] Tell her the doctor found one of your comrades, but he's in critical condition and will be for quite some time.
[x] Thank Keine for her help and tell her you'll be going out; Akyu offered to help you scout out the village for your comrades.
>> No. 21365
...screw it. I'm gonna assume >>20830 in the future, and that if there was any differing opinion, there'd be evidence of it.


Updating.
>> No. 21366
File 124825511160.jpg - (229.62KB , 620x877 , b0f93d853f26603eed4928f84911eea8.jpg ) [iqdb]
21366
I HAVE BUILT A WALL.

[x] Go to Keine's house with Keine, allow her to treat your injuries.
[x] Discuss Mokou and Kaguya's feud.
-[x] Discuss Mokou's immortality and control of fire magic.
-[x] Ask if she regularly attacks people, and if she has any advice on getting her to lay off, preferably not involving killing her repeatedly or burning down her forest.
-[x] Tell Keine you need to confront Mokou again, because if she attacked you for good reason, she could do the same to your friends, especially since they'd be wearing similar clothing.
[x] Discuss the circumstances under which you left the village: Escaping a mob with Reisen, and went to Eientei after Akyu provided you refuge.
-[x] Tell her the doctor found one of your comrades, but he's in critical condition and will be for quite some time.
[x] Thank Keine for her help and tell her you'll be going out; Akyu offered to help you scout out the village for your comrades.

You nod at Keine. “All right, lead on, Miss Keine.”

She immediately surprises you by sliding her arms around your torso, and lifting both you and herself off the ground. A few short moments later, you arrive at her house. Releasing you, she begins to stride towards the house.

“Right. Follow me.”

You do so, and on the way in…

“Thank you.”

Keine turns, a puzzled look on her face. “For what?”

“For breaking up my fight with Mokou…for flying me here.”

Her brow furrows, and a slightly startled look crosses her face. “What?”

“I could’ve flown myself.”

“You…could?”

“Yes…”

“Oh…oh.” She seemingly deflates for a moment, then perks right up. “Right! Off we go, then!” And she turns back towards the house, slipping inside the door, with you a few steps behind her. Once inside, she directs you to the couch.

“Now, sit down and take off your clothes.”

A silent moment passes, and then…

“Above the belt! ABOVE the belt!” And she hurries (just a little too quickly, you notice) away from the room. You sit down, strip off your coat, shoulder rig, and shirts, and wait for her to come back.

After what seems to be an eternity passes, she finally comes back into the room, carrying a large box which, while unmarked, screams “first aid kit,” in her hand. Sitting next to you, she opens the box.

“Face away from me, please.”

You comply.

“Do you mind if I ask you a few questions while you’re doing this?”

“No, not at all…just try not to move too much.”

“Okay. First question: who and or what is Kaguya?”

“You don’t know?”

“Why would I ask if I already knew?”

You hear a short, girlish giggle from behind you. “I guess you really are an outsider, then. Right, time for a history lesson. Kaguya is Kaguya Houraisan, a former princess of the moon, or Lunarian, the mistress of Eientei, and, as you’ve no doubt guessed, Mokou’s nemesis.”

So, this Kaguya is the head honcho (honchess?) of Eientei. “Why exactly are they fighting?”

“Have you heard the folktale of Kaguya-hime?”

“No.”

“Right. Well, to make a long story short, Kaguya’s beautiful, REALLY beautiful, and she had a long line of suitors who wanted to marry her. Kaguya, being a princess, didn’t want to marry just anyone, so she set out five requests for any potential suitor. However, no one could complete the five requests, so she turned them all down.”

“That’s a great story, but how does this relate to Mokou?”

Keine prods you a little too hard with a finger, and you momentarily wince.

“I’m not finished. One of the suitors she rejected was Mokou’s father, and upon hearing this, Mokou swore vengeance upon Kaguya.”

“I see.”

“Of course, given what they both are, their feud is kind of pointless these days.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because they’re both immortal. Mokou didn’t mention it to you?”

Oh, RIGHT.

“Now that I think about it, she did say she was immortal. So, how does that work, exactly?”

“According to her, Mokou drank something called the Hourai Elixir, which was created by another Lunarian, Eirin Yagokoro.”

Eirin…that other woman you met? That Eirin? You debate telling her about Eirin when another question pops up.

“Wait, you’re telling me that they can keep killing each other over and over again until the end of time?”

“Yes.”

Right, then…not at all weird.

“Next question: what can you tell me about Mokou’s immortality and control of fire magic?”

Keine pokes you again, a little more playful this time. “Careful where you’re treading, Mister Sparrow – if I didn’t know any better, I’d say you WERE an assassin. But to elaborate…first, Mokou’s immortality takes the form of a rapid state of regeneration – and even if she dies, she revives in minutes, or even seconds, based on the extent of her injuries. And second, her power isn’t magic.”

“It’s not?” You’ve never heard of someone being able to conjure up fire like that without magic.

“I don’t know exactly what it is, but I can tell you it’s not magic. Turn around, please.”

You comply, reseating yourself so that you’re now staring into Keine’s face.

“I see. Question number three: does she attack people on a regular basis like that?”

“No, just the ones she suspects of being in league with Kaguya. She’s not a bad person, just a little…obsessive over her rivalry with Kaguya.”

“Any tips on how to prevent such attacks in the future? Preferably something that doesn’t involve repeated murder and or arson?”

“Hmm…” Keine muses for a moment. “I can think of a few. First, she runs a yakitori stand somewhere in the Bamboo Forest – if you’re a patron often enough, that might convince her. Second, Mokou’s a huge drinker – you’ll be able to earn her respect to you can match her in a drinking contest. And, lastly…stay away from Eientei. If you don’t go anywhere near it, Mokou might just dismiss it as an isolated event.”

“I see.”

Unfortunately, Miss Keine, I might not be able to do any of those – I’m broke, not much a fan of alcohol (that’s more David’s department), and someone in Eientei is depending on me.

“Reason I ask is, I’m going to need to confront her again.”

“What?” A scared look crosses her face. “That’s dangerous! You can’t do that, not now, not with your injuries!”

“I’m not planning on doing it any time soon, but I have no choice in the matter – I will have to see her again.”

“Why in the world would you do that?”

“Because, I might have other friends here, and if Mokou attacked me, she might attack them too, given that they’re wearing similar enough clothes.”

Keine shook her head. “Mokou won’t attack them, not if they don’t go near Eientei. And if they do, they’ll have to come by here, and I’ll hear about it first, so if anyone shows up, I can stop them.” She pauses.

“Wait…‘other’ friends? You have friends here?”
>> No. 21367
Oops. Guess the cat’s out of the bag. You nod, slowly.

“Yeah, let me explain. I was in the village after you left for class, looking for my friends, when I came across a mob that was about to…well, mob a bunnygirl named Reisen.”

“Reisen Inaba?”

“You know her?”

“In passing, she usually comes here to sell her master’s medicinal remedies.”

“Okay, on with the story. So, I rescue Reisen from the mob, and found refuge inside the house of someone who claimed to be a friend…a Miss Akyu?”

Keine acknowledges the statement. “Yes, I know Akyu…she teaches at the school sometimes.”

“Right. So, Reisen and I evade the mob, and make it to Eientei, where she mentioned that they had taken in another recent outsider.”

“Was it one of your friends?”

“It was, but I’m afraid according to the doctor, he’s in bad shape, and will be for a long while.”

You see Keine visibly deflate, and her eyes droop a little. “I’m sorry, that must be hard, finding a friend, only to learn what you did.”

You shake your head. “It’s okay, at least he’s alive. Well, that’s all for now, I think, and Akyu’s offered to help me look for the rest of my friends.”

Keine brightens at your words. “That’s good, she should be able to help.”

You rise, and after putting on your clothes, head for the door. “I should be going, then. I’ll be seeing you later, then, Miss Keine.”

“Be sure you’re back before dark!”

You turn. “What?”

“You don’t have a place to stay, do you?”

“No…no, I suppose I don’t.”

“Then, you’re welcome to stay here – just try and be in the village before dark…Gensokyo is…dangerous…after dark for most people.”

“I’ll be careful.”

You step outside the door, and begin to walk the path back to the village.

You need to find Akyu.

~CURRENTLY AT HOME BASE LOCATION: OTHER EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE~

[] Discuss [Subject] with [Person]
[] Investigate [Object/Person/Etc]
[] Go to [Location]
[] Perform [Magical Effect Desired]
[] Check Pocketwatch
[] Pick up [Item] from your stored stuff
>> No. 21375
[x] Check Pocketwatch.
[x] Investigate injuries.
[x] Go back to Akyu's house.

I thought you had abandoned this.

Any possible chance we could get descriptions on all of the items from the ship? At least a summary of each?
>> No. 21380
[x] Check Pocketwatch.
[x] Investigate injuries.
[x] Go back to Akyu's house.
>> No. 21383
>>21375

I don't blame you for thinking so - I personally didn't know whether or not I'd be able to get back to this or not - long story short: my wife and friends put me on an enforced holiday due to high stress levels.

But I'm back, and ready to keep going.

And I promised that, no matter what, I'd get through at least one play-thru of this.

And an inventory option. Of course, allow me to compile the inventory.
>> No. 21384
INVENTORY:

CURRENTLY EQUIPPED:

1 Set of Clothes: Description is optional.
1 Survival Pack: Messenger bag sized. Currently holds everything you have.
1 Trinary Computer: Phone-sized. Needs recharging once every six months. Has just about any program you can think of (and a few YOU CAN’T).
2 Sonic Gloves: Produces sonic waves. Has settings from 0 to OHMYGODMYEARSAREBLEEDING. Has built-in tasers. (Foci)
1 Set of Electronic Glasses: Capable of seeing in multiple spectra. (Foci)
2 Custom Handguns: Made of reinforced metal. Fires special explosive rounds. Current ammunition: 19/20 rounds.
1 Spare Magazine: 10 extra rounds of explosive ammunition.
1 Plasma Caster: Sons of Ether manufacture. Fires an ultrahigh temperature burst capable of incendiary effects. Requires brief recharge after each attack. Power cell half-life of 5000 years.
1 Global Positioning System receiver: Mostly useless, if what Keine has told you about Gensokyo is true.
5 Tracking Beacons: Once activated, appear on your GPS receiver as special waypoints. Currently in possession of beacons corresponding to Waypoints Baker, Charlie, Dog, Easy, Fox. Beacon for Waypoint Able currently located in escape pod.

CURRENTLY IN STORAGE:

2 Duffel Bags: Nondescript, black. Currently holds your storage stuff.
1 Spare Set of Clothes: Description optional.
1 Spare Trinary Computer: Laptop-sized.
1 Virtual Reality Project: Currently incomplete. Doesn’t really seem to be anything you could use it for at this point.
1 Next-gen Information Network Project: Currently incomplete. Doesn’t really seem to be anything you could use it for at this point.
1 Nanotechnology Project: Currently incomplete. You might have a use for this…
1 Set of Personal Data: Contains all your personal information.
1 Set of Library Tapes: Contains information on Forces. You’ve mastered the majority of this information already.
1 First Aid Kit: Nowhere as big as Keine’s, but it’s got the basics.
5 Instant Meals: Mostly noodles, but nourishing enough in a pinch. Requires some heat before serving.
>> No. 21389
File 124847695221.jpg - (122.18KB , 564x800 , 178154463ed724b5a57e771b4bf002ad.jpg ) [iqdb]
21389
[x] Check Pocketwatch.
[x] Investigate injuries.
[x] Go back to Akyu's house.

Reaching into your pocket, you remove the silver pocketwatch, and glance down at its face.

[Current Time: 1:23 PM]

You slide it back into your pocket, making it secure. That done, you decide to check over your injuries before you can continue.

As you check yourself over, you note that Keine’s done a pretty good job of patching you up – that makes sense, though. Being the village guardian, she’s probably had to tend more than a few scrapes. From what you can tell, you’re healing normally enough, and whatever medicine Keine used on you seems to have dulled the pain. You’re not in top shape, for certain, but you’re not going to be hampered too much in your physical capabilities. A thought occurs to you, and you make a note in your trinary computer:

Be sure to whip up a program to examine Pattern coherence.

You head down the path to the village, and once you reach the outskirts, you carefully proceed through the village, making sure the angry mob isn’t still an angry mob.

Looks good. From what you can tell, they’re gone. You make your way to Akyu’s house, and knock on the door. A few moments later, the door swings open. It’s Akyu.

“Ah, you’re back. Did you need something?”

[] Discuss [Subject] with [Person]
[] Investigate [Object/Person/Etc]
[] Go to [Location]
[] Perform [Magical Effect Desired]
[] Check Pocketwatch
>> No. 21407
[x] "Good afternoon. I'm sorry to bother you again, but I was hoping if you were still willing to help me with my earlier endeavour."
[x] "I've managed to find one of my comrades, however he is gravely injured and resting at Eientei. On the way back, I was attacked by a fire-wielding maniac. I'm starting to worry about the others."
[x] "If you, ah, require some sort of compensation, I'm not exactly sure what I could do, but..."

Something tells me that only we and the captain are here. We'll tell our team-mates all about this place and they'll think we're crazy. The next time we come back, the captain will be living the high-life surrounded by all the bunny-girls at Eientei and not wish to leave. That sort of happily-ever-after ending.
>> No. 21420
>>21407

You never know...keep your eyes open, your magical senses sharp, and never confuse a lack of confirmation for negation.

And besides, most Mages with half a brain wouldn't want to leave a place like Gensokyo - a realm where there is no Paradox for vulgar magic, no rogue mages, and most of all, no Technocrats...


Updating now.
>> No. 21421
File 124872508143.jpg - (655.11KB , 1000x754 , d59898623c51307f13b1d01f067325ea.jpg ) [iqdb]
21421
[x] "Good afternoon. I'm sorry to bother you again, but I was hoping if you were still willing to help me with my earlier endeavour."
[x] "I've managed to find one of my comrades, however he is gravely injured and resting at Eientei. On the way back, I was attacked by a fire-wielding maniac. I'm starting to worry about the others."
[x] "If you, ah, require some sort of compensation, I'm not exactly sure what I could do, but..."

You smile at Akyu.

“Good afternoon, I’m sorry to bother you again, but I was hoping if you were still willing to help me with my earlier endeavour.”

“Certainly. Then, going with Miss Inaba turned up nothing…?”

“Oh, no, not at all. I’ve managed to find one of my comrades, however, he is gravely injured and resting at Eientei. On the way back, I was attacked by a fire-wielding maniac. I’m starting to worry about the others.”

“Well, then, we’d best be on our way…”

“Listen, I don’t have any money. If you, ah, require some sort of compensation, I’m not exactly sure what I could do, but…”

“Hmm…” You see her muse for a moment. “I’m sure that you could compensate me…” Her hand brushes against the fly of your pants. “…adequately…”

You feel a chill run down your spine. Is she…?

“Just kidding!” She springs past you, an innocent smile on her face. “Come along, then!”

You follow her, carefully. As you do, she begins talking.

“Now, since you stopped by, I made a few little inquiries of my own, and I found out a few things. First, there haven’t been any new arrivals in the village – besides you, that is – any time in recent memory. So…”

“So, if my friends are here, they’re not HERE.” You gesture, indicating that they’re not in the village.

“Precisely. Second, a few of Gensokyo’s more…well-known residents showed up in the village in the past few days. They are regular visitors, like Miss Inaba, but unlike her, their appearance is a deviation from their schedule.”

“So, they were here, but not when they’re usually here?”

Akyu nods. “Yeah.”

That strikes you as odd. People don’t normally deviate from schedules unless there’s a reason for them to.

“Who are these…residents?”

“No one you’d know, but I’ll tell you. The first is Sakuya Izayoi, the Head Maid of the Scarlet Devil Mansion.”

A maid…? Didn’t you…? Maybe.

“When was she here?”

“This morning…why? Did you see her?”

You nod. “I think so. Tell me more.”

“Well, as I said, she’s the Head Maid of the Scarlet Devil Mansion.”

“Where’s that?”

“It’s north of here, on a large island surrounded by Misty Lake – if you want to go there, you’ll have to fly – the Lake is rumored to be filled with nasty things of the aquatic variety.”

“I see. Who else was here?”

“Number two was Marisa Kirisame – though her appearances in the village are random, so people make a note of it any time she shows up. Marisa’s a witch, a really powerful one.”

“Where does she live?”

“The Forest of Magic, but for you, I wouldn’t recommend going in there – it’s a big place, and unless you know exactly where you’re going, there’s a good chance you could get lost.”

“Right, anyone else?”

“The last one is Aya Shameimaru – she runs Gensokyo’s only newspaper…” A dark frown passes over her face. “…though tabloid is probably a better term for it. She lives in a small cabin on Youkai Mountain, southeast of here. If anyone is up-to-date on any new arrivals here, she’d be one of the best candidates, though you’d probably have trouble catching her – her speed is legendary.”

“I see…well, thanks for your help, I think I’ve got a few places to start looking…”

“Well, if you’re not in too much of a hurry, there’s more I could tell you about Gensokyo…”

[] Discuss [Subject] with [Person]
[] Investigate [Object/Person/Etc]
[] Go to [Location]
[] Perform [Magical Effect Desired]
[] Check Pocketwatch
>> No. 21424
[x] "Sure, I'd like to know more."
--[x] "I think I'll visit this witch, first. Could you tell me of the location? Or at least a rough guess?"
>> No. 21446
File 124890997282.jpg - (123.92KB , 574x746 , 72137f503257fa1197e9947363238097.jpg ) [iqdb]
21446
[x] "Sure, I'd like to know more."
--[x] "I think I'll visit this witch, first. Could you tell me of the location? Or at least a rough guess?"

You nod. More information can’t possibly hurt, and as far as you know, there’s no way for you to go back – so you’ve got all the time in the world.

“Sure, I’d like to know more.”

Akyu lights up.

“Good! Now, where to start…right! Well, as you know, you’re currently in the Human Village of Gensokyo – it’s more or less centrally located, so if you need navigation assistance, you can just come here, and the major locations are generally a straight shot from here. The first two places you already know – head due south, and you’ll be at Eientei, where Miss Inaba is from. The Scarlet Devil Mansion, as I said before, is north of here, across the Misty Lake. If you go west, you’ll reach Hakugyokuro, the domain of Lady Yuyuko Saigyouji. Go east, and you’ll run into the Hakurei Shrine – the shrine maiden there, Miss Reimu, is the most well-traveled person around here, as well as one of the most powerful. Then, there’s Youkai Mountain – a lot of Gensokyo’s denizens live there – there’s the tengu, like Miss Aya; the Moriya Shrine, a relative newcomer to these parts; and the kappa. The mountain is southeast of here, and the Shrine is at the base of the mountain. If you go southwest, you’ll reach Higan, but you won’t want to be going there…”

You interrupt Akyu, pausing in your data entry to try and build a map of Gensokyo.

“Why’s that?”

A sly smile crosses Akyu’s face. “You’re not dead, are you?”

“No…”

“Okay then! Is there…nah, there’s not really any other major locations around here.”

“Right…I think I’ll visit this witch, first. Could you tell me of the location? Or at least a rough guess?”

Akyu shakes her head. “Sorry, no. I rarely leave the village, and then it’s usually to somewhere simple, like the Hakurei Shrine. But, I bet Miss Reimu could tell you – she and Miss Marisa are friends, of a sort. Heck, if she’s not busy, Miss Reimu might take you to Miss Marisa’s place herself.”

“Well, thanks anyway.”

“No problem. Is there anything else I can help you with?”

[] Discuss [Subject] with [Person]
[] Investigate [Object/Person/Etc]
[] Go to [Location]
[] Perform [Magical Effect Desired]
[] Check Pocketwatch
>> No. 21480
[x] "No, thank you. That should be enough. I'm very grateful for your time."
[x] Bid Akyu farewell and head east, towards the Hakurei Shrine. Perhaps this Reimu could tell you a little more about Gensokyo, and the whereabouts of the witch - perhaps even something about your friends.
>> No. 21579
Forgive my absence...I was at a con all weekend, and spent the last couple of days recovering.

Updating now!
>> No. 21580
File 124951410337.jpg - (147.99KB , 500x400 , 15f732337182261be7e6808102330038.jpg ) [iqdb]
21580
[x] "No, thank you. That should be enough. I'm very grateful for your time."
[x] Bid Akyu farewell and head east, towards the Hakurei Shrine. Perhaps this Reimu could tell you a little more about Gensokyo, and the whereabouts of the witch - perhaps even something about your friends.

“No, thank you,” you tell Akyu. “That should be enough. I’m very grateful for your time.”

“Okay, then. I’ll see you later.”

As you weave your spells around you, and take off into the sky, you hear her shout behind you:

“Be back before dark! Or at least, somewhere with people!”

Aiming yourself eastward, you begin your flight to the Hakurei Shrine. Because you’re only able to move yourself at a walking pace, it takes you a couple of hours to reach what you presume to be the shrine: you recognize the gate from pictures you’ve seen aboard the Osiris library. Touching down on the shrine side of the gate, you take a quick glance around – the only activity in the area appears to be a little girl with…horns?...snoozing on the veranda, snoring rather loudly.

Moving closer, you step up onto the veranda, maneuvering past the shrine’s donation box, and look at the little girl – is this the Reimu Akyu told you about? You imagined her…differently.

[] Discuss [Subject] with [Person]
[] Investigate [Object/Person/Etc]
[] Go to [Location]
[] Perform [Magical Effect Desired]
[] Check Pocketwatch
>> No. 21590
[x] Investigate/examine the girl.
[x] Those horns... nah, they couldn't be real, could they? What is she?
--[x] Grab her horns, poke her forehead, stretch her cheeks, hold her nose. She might wake up, but you have to confirm the reality of this girl before you.

Cannot resist~
>> No. 21594
Oh, this is gonna be FUN...

Updating now!
>> No. 21595
File 124958968080.jpg - (515.68KB , 500x700 , 7d5a28e6db62b6cf077633e10bb1adf0.jpg ) [iqdb]
21595
[x] Investigate/examine the girl.
[x] Those horns... nah, they couldn't be real, could they? What is she?
--[x] Grab her horns, poke her forehead, stretch her cheeks, hold her nose. She might wake up, but you have to confirm the reality of this girl before you.

You crouch down, bringing yourself closer to the sleeping girl. As you do, you note a rather…familiar smell. What the…

Is this girl DRUNK?! Who in their right minds would serve booze to a little girl? You can’t believe that…wait, wait. There’s an explanation for this, there has to be – maybe they didn’t give it to her, maybe it was just in reach – which makes the adults here irresponsible, not idiotic.

You continue your examination – if it weren’t for those horns, she could pass for human, like Keine. Are they real…? You reach out, carefully, tentatively, and place a hand on one of the horns.

It’s real. The horn is real. You attempt to pull it off, only to discover that it must be attached to her head somehow, since her head also moves in the direction of your pull. You poke and prod around her head, looking for something, anything. Nothing. Nada. As far as you can tell, she was born with those horns.

This is weird. You perform several other intrusive actions – you stretch her cheeks, poke her forehead, et cetera. If this is an illusion, it’s got you completely fooled. You stand up and turn around, facing away from her, immediately contemplating what the hell is going on. After a few moments, you hear a creaking sound, and you turn to see the little girl sitting up, rubbing her right eye with a forearm.

“Raaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyymoooooooooooooo…iiiiiiiiiiiit’s eaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy…whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy’d yuuuuuuuuuuu waaaaaaaaaaake meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee…?”

And it’s confirmed – she is officially drunk.

[] Discuss [Subject] with [Person]
[] Investigate [Object/Person/Etc]
[] Go to [Location]
[] Perform [Magical Effect Desired]
[] Check Pocketwatch
>> No. 21598
[X] Check Pocketwatch (Is it really that early? It's definitely past noon...)
[X] Ask her her name, where her parents are, and what she's doing getting into that much alcohol.
>> No. 21605
[x] Check Pocketwatch (Is it really that early? It's definitely past noon...)
[x] Ask her her name, where her parents are, and what she's doing getting into that much alcohol.
[x] Ask her if she knows where the priestess of the shrine is.

>Check Pocketwatch
We're going to turn into CUtMaS real quick if this keeps up.
>> No. 21625
Called and updating...now moving to thread 2...and folding >>21598 into >>21605.


>>21605

That's not necessarily a BAD thing, mind you...unless you include Harker's update schedule ("Schedule? What schedule? I don't have a schedule!").
>> No. 21628
>>21625
You can't really compare Sparrow to Casey, though. We've gone through in a day what he has in a week or two, and are putting ourselves in even more danger tomorrow. Like the Resident Evil and Kingdom Hearts rant - we don't have time to check our pocketwatch, angry flame-bitches coming up the hill right now. It's annoying, and not needed, considering our time-frame has been slower here than in CUtMaS.
>> No. 21632
>>21628

True - unless you go the comic route - which has an approximately 20-25% chance of happening in this game, you will be in more danger than KC probably ever will.

And also: new thread.
>> No. 21634
>>21632

That's saying alot, since KC has to deal with a rather evil Yukari (Piss her off? She'll just make it rain Mokou to drive her point home)