[Return]
Archived Thread

File 12276709347.jpg - (114.31KB , 850x1133 , yukari road.jpg ) [iqdb]
11539 No. 11539
Being ignored is not much fun at all, but you were used to it back then. In the small corner of the local kindergarten, you sat and scribbled intently as your classmates yelled and scream and generally had a good time, in a way only small children can.

You were orphaned at a young age, by sheer mischance. They never told the details and you never asked. Your foster parents were indifferent, not abusive, nor negligent, but indifferent, giving you a fairly free reign, but also rarely showing you much attention. Your new classmates generally ignored the gloomy quiet new guy and left you to your own devices and those that did actively sought to bully you, soon realized their mistake.

Your long hours of alone time, had been used for thinking and reading and the formulation of strategies and plans and insults. And soon, even the most zealous of your bullies discovered that no mattered what they tried, it would horrendously backfire back upon them. After the carrot-penetration-incident, they just let you be.

Yes though you may hate to admit it now, you were a bit of a sociopath in the making, and also, possibly in the course of time, an eventual magnificent bastard. At that time though, you neither knew what those terms were, nor cared and you were content to sit and draw.

Alone.

Then, an older woman’s voice came over your shoulder.

”What are you drawing there, you seem quite focused.” She asked.

You turn slowly, eyeing the woman standing behind you warily. She seemed tall, but looking back, you were only 90 centimeters tall at that point and most people would seem tall to you. But what stood out was her attire, full length white dress with a strangely embroided tabard (you had been reading hard and your vocabulary was several cuts better than the rest of the kids.) and also the lengths of golden hair, tipped with elaborately tied ribbons.

”It’s an angel.” You state levelly.

”Very nice.” The woman complimented. “It seems to be doing a good job of destroying Tokyo.” She continued, indicating to the splotches of black and white all over the paper. “But, as nice as your picture is, that’s not what I’m here for.”

”I figured…” you reply, not bothering to turn around this time.

But she gently opens your palm and deposits something in it. You look, and it turns out to be a 100¥ coin. You didn’t say anything, but you were impressed. 100¥ is a lot of money when you are 5.

”What’s this for?” you ask cautiously. You didn’t want her to take the coin back after all.

”Rent.” She said, smiling.

”Rent?” you ask dubiously. “I don’t even know you! What do you need to give me rent for? I’ve never even seen you before!”

She then stooped and looked you right in the eye, and you involuntarily fought down a shiver.

”Now you have,” she says. “You can call me Yukari, and about the rent thing, I’ll tell you when you’re old enough”

And thus, began your association with Yakumo Yukari and by default, her two shikigami, Ran and Chen and through them, gensokyo.

Eventually, Yukari did divulge to you the reason behind her periodic donations of money to you. According to her, Mayohiga and its surrounding lands were legally deeded to one of your ancestors, whom had allowed Yukari to dwell there, giving the wandering Yakumo, for the first time, a permanent home, in an age when youkai and demons wandered the world unchecked, long before Gensokyo came into exsistance. This resulted in the formation of an alliance of sorts between the Yakumo family and yours.

Eventually though, in the turbulent era, Mayohiga was eventually sacked and burned and its people scattered to the winds, leaving only the Yakumo, remaining there, perhaps out of nostalgia and the memories of a long forgotten time. Your family, while dispossessed of their rank and lands, lived, and prospered to a degree, eventually forgetting their old stronghold and alliance, while Yukari watched, hidden within the twisting ways of the newly established border, not willing to interfere, until now, of course.

And in addition to this story, Yukari, and to some extent, Chen happily supplied you with various other tales of Mayohiga and Gensokyo which rapidly became less and less believable as they continued onwards. While you did accept that fairies and flying mikos existed (after all, you’ve visited gensokyo before), perhaps their tales of giant heaven piercing mecha and wish-granting dragon’s testicles were somewhat less readily absorbed into your sponge-like impressionable mind.

But it was all fun, and you had friends amongst the human populace and some of the youkai, including the then miko-in-training and a strange amalgam of tenants and family found in the Yakumo family. You suppose you were fairly happy back then. But change does come.

>> No. 11541
Time passed and the world changed, soon your visits to Gensokyo grew less and less frequent, and eventually, you chose to dwell firmly in the human realm, studying and socializing like most people. But still, in the chaotic and fast paced frenzy of life in the human realm, there was something you could always count on; Yakumo Yukari’s periodic visits, sometimes bringing gifts, sometimes bringing happenings, and sometimes, even with odd requests which unsurprisingly, brought you a hell lot of trouble.

Which brings us back to the present.

Over the years, urban sprawl has pushed all the way to the very borders of Gensokyo itself, both metaphysically, and geographically, though, not to the extent that would endanger Gensokyo as of yet. Still, sightings of ‘fairies” and “youkai” have increased a hundredfold. Despite al this strange news, Yukari however, seems fairly normal, as she trudges in through the doorway of your cheap apartment flat, dressed as a normal person today, bearing a box full of what appears to be mikan tangerines. Despite being a youkai, she has the look of someone who is unused to strenuous physical activity. More than a little disapprovingly, you watch as she throws open your small fridge and downs the first beverage she finds, ignoring your stares all the way.

”That’s odd,” you observe, “Don’t you usually just gap in? Right during the most inconvenient of times, like when I’m in the shower or something?”

“Border trouble…” she mutters, “For three hours back, it was impossible to gap anywhere within a ten kilometer radius of this location for some reason or the other. I had to gap to Chuushin station, then take the train here…” Sighing, Yukari places the box of mikan down on the table, and straightens. “Winter’s just beginning; the Aki sisters dropped these off before they left, don’t ask me how they grew Mikan tangerines during autumn though.” She explained. “And both Ran and Chen insisted on sending a box to you…just makes my trip here harder…”

“You’re this desperate to see me?” you ask, feigning a surprised look. The Yukari you knew would have just lazed around in bed till the Border became more conductive to gap travel, tangerines, or no tangerines. So this had to be something important, or another one of her crazy whims that just couldn’t wait.

She merely shakes her head and gives you a grin. “Hehe, how cute. But you know the only reason I come into the Human realm is to buy shonen JUMP and caramel crèmes.”

Typical. Over the years, you have gotten quite familiar with her “cool onee-san” persona and the mood and fancies that go along with it.

”Right…”you say expectantly. “Surely you didn’t come all the way here by the train just for the pleasure of my company did you?”

Yukari smiles, but you sense that it’s serious. “Something’s come up.” She states,”and there are parties involved which think the human realm might have the answer.”

You are not surprised at all. And also somewhat unhappy at the prospect of another incident like the time you discovered the family of ice fairies laying claim to your air conditioner.

“Is it something like the incident where you forgot to close one of your gaps and let that ibis youkai out into the subway?” you ask suspiciously. Yukari could be fairly absent minded at times.

”Ah, nothing like that,” Yukari hastily exclaims. “This one a bit more serious I think…”

“Let me guess,” you say, recalling all the various bits of chatter and idle banter Yukari has chattered on over the past few weeks. Judging from all those pieces of gossip, only several possible serious scenarios come to mind.

[] That librarian acquaintance of yours is deathly ill.
[] You’re going to sic your hungry friend on me again.
[] The Lunarians want to invade.
[] Someone is missing from the mountain.
[] It has something to do with those earthquakes these few days.
[] You want to recharge your I-pod.
>> No. 11545
[] You want to recharge your iPod.
>> No. 11547
[x] You want to recharge your I-pod.

An hero end.
>> No. 11554
[x] Someone is missing from the mountain.
>> No. 11556
[x] Someone is missing from the mountain.
>> No. 11558
[x] It has something to do with those earthquakes these few days.
Damn, I am liking this.
>> No. 11561
[x] Someone is missing from the mountain.
>> No. 11563
[X] You want to recharge your I-pod.

Don't give a shit.
>> No. 11564
[x] "What's that you say? Timmy fell down the well?"
>> No. 11565
[X] You want to recharge your I-pod.

If this is choosing the tone of the story, then I want a story where Yukari's idea of a major disaster is having a common appliance run out of juice.
>> No. 11566
[X] You want to recharge your I-pod.

"Why can't you just alter the I-pods border of charged and uncharged?"
"If I did that I wouldn't have any reason to come see you then."
"...That's cruel."
>> No. 11567
[X] You want to recharge your I-pod.
Only option.
If I was being serious,
[X] The Lunarians are going to invade.
>> No. 11577
>>11564
>>11566

I've never seen so much win in two almost consecutive posts.
>> No. 11606
File 122775370722.jpg - (131.39KB , 472x472 , ipod.jpg ) [iqdb]
11606
[x] You want to recharge your iPod.


You think carefully, recalling all the bits of gossip and idle banter Yukari has brought up over the past few weeks or so, and one particular incident comes to mind that strikes you as a fairly serious situation.

”You want me to charge your iPod…” you say flatly.

Yukari nods, indicating that you have guessed correctly.

This would be very typical, if not for the fact that from previous conversations with Yukari, you have the impression that there are more important things to be dealing with in Gensokyo at this moment. Then again, it’s just like Yukari to turn something trivial like this into a major disaster.

”But I was wondering,” You continue, “What about all the other major happenings that you have been going on about for the past few weeks. That Librarian acquaintance of yours, didn’t you say she was deathly ill or something?”

“Ah, she’s always ill, but she still gets around.” Yukari answers. “It’s that it was a little worse than normal lately, but nothing to worry about, I think.”

“Then, what about your old friend, you seemed to say that she had some problem or something, and what about those Lunarians?” you continue. “And also what about those earthquakes, and the breach in the border at Youkai Mountain?”

“Ara?” Yukari sighs, before placing a slender palm over her mouth in feigned shock. “It seems that my cute little brother hasn’t visited us for so long that he has forgotten that we can take care of ourselves fairly well. We won’t let things get out of hand…Ah, if my cute little brother didn’t want to visit, then the least he could do would be to keep the memories of the good times with us a little closer to his heart…” she continues, playing the part of the long suffering older sister supremely well.

You try to ignore the theatrics, and continue. “You know that’s not it!” you say disapprovingly. “I meant that Gensokyo isn’t doing too well of late and I…you know…I wouldn’t mind too much if you needed me to help out with something…” You stumble over your words.

Yukari drops the act and gives you a smile. “That’s nice of you, but I think, that these things aren’t something you should worry about as of yet. But, I will keep your offer in mind of course, we might need your help with something one of these days, and plus, your insight on the matter is always refreshing, to say the least.”

You nod, “I’ll keep an eye open for trouble.” You affirm

Yukari smiles sweetly. “I really appreciate it. From my personal experience, you “keeping an eye open”, is usually worth more than the full concentration of most other people.” She praises.

“Hah! There’s no need for flattery!” you say, but despite it all, no matter what, if Yukari saw fit to praise you, some part of you, would always feel embarrassed, even if you inner sociopath was telling you that you did deserve it.

Yukari just smiles knowingly.

Then her expression suddenly changes. It seems that after going through so much trouble to give you a little praise, Yukari wants a reward. Ah well, you’ve known her long enough to recognize that sassy grin, and some part of you was expecting this.

Reaching into one of her pockets, she pulls out her treasured iPod and deposits it into your hand. “Give me every Nico Nico Douga Medley you have, including that Lucky Star version while you’re charging it.” She requests, indicating towards your computer with her free hand. “Please.” She adds, somewhat as an afterthought. How typical.
----

You walk side by side with Yukari, at a leisurely pace, strolling past the shop houses that line the way to the train station. Winter is beginning and the air is cold and crisp and your breath fogs up your glasses. There is no hurry, and you take the time to relax, pushing the worries and stresses of university to the back of your mind.

“You know,” you say out loud. “Why don’t you just manipulate the border between the battery’s charged state and uncharged state?”

“Too much trouble.” Yukari replies, strolling along side you and looking at the various stalls with mild interest. “Charge isn’t one constant thing, and I would have to alter the border of every single particle in the battery individually. As I said, too much trouble. Besides, if I did that, I wouldn’t have reason to come and visit would I? She states with a smirk.

“Glad to see I’m being appreciated…” you mutter dryly, continuing your leisurely walk.

“You know, you really don’t have to walk me to the station.” Yukari says, hands in her pockets as she walks along side you. “If you don’t know by now, that I can take fairly good care of myself, then-“she lets it drop. “You worry too much.”

“I don’t mind.” You say. “Really no trouble at all.”

“Ah…you’ve really grown up to be responsible.” Yukari laughs. “It seems that I’ve done my job well. I really must sound old, saying this”

“You are old.” You observe.

”And I see you still have that mean streak.” Yukari counters, stepping up the steps to the station house. She turns and faces you. “Well, that’s it then, I’ll be heading back to Chuushin station, then gapping back Mayohiga, and oh! I nearly forgot!” She presses an envelope into your hands. “This month’s rent.” She states simply.

By now after your long association with Yukari, you’ve realized, that trying to explain to her that you really didn’t need the “rent” would be futile, and you pocket it with thanks. But before Yukari turns to leave, she stops and looks straight into your eyes.

“One last thing.” She says.

“What is it?” you ask.

”Come visit this Christmas.” She says, without any hint of embarrassment or hesitation. ”You haven’t come to visit for a good long time, and both Ran and Chen miss you too. We’ll have a party of epic proportions, and I do know a goodly number of girls who want to see you again. It’ll be fun” She smirks as she sees the look on your face.

“I’ll…I’ll consider it.” You reply.

“Good to know.” Yukari states as she turns and disappears into the doors of the station house. “I’ll be seeing you soon.”

“Likewise.” You say as you turn back, walking towards the mass of stores and restaurants that spring up around a train station.

[] Go straight home.
[] Browse the stores. (If so, write in which store you’re browsing, as long as it’s sensible.)
>> No. 11607
>>11565
that was a good one.
>> No. 11608
[x] Browse the stores. (Go to a department store, maybe to window-shop for presents. After a time, accidently find yourself wandering around in the lingerie section.)
>> No. 11609
>"Give me every Nico Nico Douga Medley you have!"

Nice.
>> No. 11610
[!/] Go straight home.
>> No. 11611
[X] Browse the stores. (Buy some sugarless gum.)
>> No. 11614
[x] Browse the stores. (Go to a department store, maybe to window-shop for presents. After a time, accidently find yourself wandering around in the lingerie section.)
>> No. 11615
>>11608

This. All of it.
>> No. 11623
[x] Browse the stores. (Go to a department store, maybe to window-shop for presents. After a time, accidently find yourself wandering around in the lingerie section.)
>> No. 11626
[X] Browse the stores. (Go to a department store, maybe to window-shop for presents. After a time, accidentally find yourself wandering around in the lingerie section.)

Of course, we'll have to grab something in purple if we do choose lingerie for our Cool Big Sis.

Indigo for Ran and orange for Chen.
>> No. 11639
>Of course, we'll have to grab something in purple if we do choose lingerie for our Cool Big Sis. Indigo for Ran and orange for Chen.

I smell death this Christmas....
>> No. 11654
[X] Browse the stores. (Go to a department store, maybe to window-shop for presents. After a time, accidentally find yourself wandering around in the lingerie section.)

>>11626

This guy knows what he's doing. Let's follow him.
>> No. 11655
>>11639
Oh, but what a glorious death it shall be~
>> No. 11657
[x] Browse the stores. (Go to a department store, maybe to window-shop for presents. After a time, accidently find yourself wandering around in the lingerie section.)
>> No. 11676
>>11655

As long as she's wearing it as she stands above our dead body. Let's... Yeah; let's get her 1 size too small.
>> No. 11683
[X] Browse the stores. (Go to a department store, maybe to window-shop for presents. After a time, accidentally find yourself wandering around in the lingerie section.)

ITT we chronicle ZUN's childhood.
>> No. 11690
>>11683
fun, but no. Keep ZUN out of it

>>11626
you my friend, are win. Go for it.
>> No. 11693
>>11606

Not even a good-bye hug to the closest thing he's got as family?

Landlordanon is cold
>> No. 11719
File 122786024250.jpg - (27.97KB , 240x320 , Takashimaya Tree.jpg ) [iqdb]
11719
>>11693
not cold, just too prim for public displays of affection. Must be Ran's influence.

>>11565
May be a bit late, but while these will set the starting tone, these situations are still a problem in Gensokyo, and expect to encounter and deal with them in time, perhaps sooner than you think.

[x] Browse the stores. (Go to a department store, maybe to window-shop for presents. After a time, accidently find yourself wandering around in the lingerie section.)

Come visit this Christmas.

You wonder why this suddenly feels very strange to you. By all rights, it should be the most natural thing in the world; after all, you are freely welcome in the Yakumo household, and the denizens of Gensokyo were generally amicable to your presence. However, you guess that after six long years without paying them a visit, returning would feel very strange, and perhaps more than a little nostalgic.

Ah well…if you’re going to visit for Christmas, then it’s only appropriate to bring gifts. With renewed vigor, you step up your pace, and make your way to a medium sized department store. While you don’t plan on buying anything as of yet, you feel that it would be a good idea to find out about what gifts to purchase before hand.

Yukari was and always would be, a sucker for anything marked “limited edition”, while Ran’s tastes leant towards the sensible and functional. Chen would probably go for anything, as long as it was cute or edible, preferably both.

The department store is crowded, and its business as usual, but you take your time to look through all the sections, taking note of potential gifts that fit the requirements. Something the recipients would like, and not too expensive.

You note several potential items as you progress through the sections, and you eventually lose track of time and just wander in a somewhat dazed state. It is not till quite a time later that a familiar voice awakens you from your reverie, only to find yourself right smack in the middle of the lingerie section, amidst a battery of scandalous stares from the surrounding female shoppers.

“Hey! Over here!” a female’s voice calls out, from just over your shoulder, cheerful and unfortunately for you, fairly loud, attracting unwanted attention and causing an additional barrage of stares in your general direction.

An energetic pair of hands grabs your shoulders and spins you around, and you come face to face with one Maribel Han, clad in the store’s female uniform, a lacey airy French styled affair complete with apron and chapeau that is so embellished with frills and pleats that it pushes the border of good taste. “Heya!” she says happily. “Haven’t seen you since high school graduation!”

“Ah, Maribel.” You acknowledge, giving a nod towards your old classmate. “You look like you’re enjoying your job.” And she really does, dressed in this store’s overly frilly uniform; she gives off a positive aura of general well being. “Is Renko not with you?” you enquire, noting the absence of her constant companion.

”Renko?” Maribel gives you a sly look. “Well…she did get a part time job here, to get some spending money for Christmas, but she got posted to another section. Let’s just say that she didn’t have the “assets” for the lingerie section.”

“Hah, talking behind your best friend’s back. Some friend you are.” You snort. But you’ve known the occult obsessed pair since high school, and this was just anther piece of casual banter they shared with those familiar to them. No insult meant or intended.

Maribel doesn’t answer but just grins widely.

”I recognize that smile of yours…” you mutter.

”Memory’s good as always huh?” Maribel says. “You always recognize my “interrogation” face.”

“How could I forget…” you retort. “Ever since that first day of high school when you cornered me in the gym and tried to exorcise me.”

“We really did think you were possessed you know.” Maribel says, raising a hand in apology instinctively, even though it’s been years since you’ve forgiven them for the incident. “You came to high school all gloomy and you know with an evil aura and all…but, enough about that!’ Maribel says heatedly. “Let’s talk about you instead. Why are you here of all places?”

She pauses suddenly and raises a palm to her lips, obscuring but not totally hiding an evil grin. “Ohohohoho…you’re here to pick up something lacey and comfortable for that special someone aren’t you?”

“No.” you answer flatly. “Don’t you jump to conclusions, Maribel.”

“I don’t know what size your significant other is, but I can recommend these designs,” Maribel says, eagerly pulling something indecently lacey and almost translucent out of a pile. Several somethings actually, and you find her holding out three set pieces out for you to view. “This one in purple French lace with flower motifs is actually fairly popular, or if your significant other would like, the indigo is in straight stitch is actually quite comfortable and durable. The orange-“

Briefly, you toy with the idea of getting these scandalously filmy “garments”, but you quickly decide against it, your pragmatic common sense overriding your less then sensible impulses. While Yukari would be no stranger to jokes of the cruder sort, this would probably be going more than a little too far for the more sensible Ran and impressionable little Chen.

You quickly cut her off before she could prattle on about the last of the three. “Are you ignoring me?” you ask, “and, what possessed you to choose these colors? Purple, Indigo? And that orange one can’t be for anyone legal! Have you taken leave of your senses, Maribel?”

”Ahahah, no,” Maribel laughs somewhat sheepishly. Turning, she deposits all three monstrosities back where they came from. “I got was only kidding around, no need to worry about it.” Then, she switches to a more lecturing tone. “But you still take things far too seriously, can’t you smile for once?”

“I have, and you’ve seen me.” You say, recalling your colorful history with the two during high school.

”Ah! But I haven’t seen it often enough to commit it to my long term memory.” Maribel counters, smiling all the way. “Cheer up, Emo Kid!”

“Haven’t out grown that particular childishness, I see.” You comment disapprovingly.

“You see?” She says, “You are far too serious,” tapping your nose with her index finger.

If there was anything else Maribel wants to comment about the way you carry yourself, it was interrupted by a loud crash and a squeal of fright. Swiftly, you look over your shoulder to the direction of the disruption.
>> No. 11720
The source of it all is apparently one of the store’s employees, a fairly athletic looking young woman of medium height and with somewhat messy shoulder length hair of raven black. She stands over the remains of a wrecked mannequin and glass showcase, as if stunned by the destruction wrought. Then, amazingly, she whips out antiquated looking camera and begins snapping shots of the scene.

“New girl.” Mariel explains. “Just turned up yesterday, you know. The manager found her camping out in a lean-to on the department store’s roof, and offered her a job. He’s too nice a guy, I think,” Maribel comments.

“She seems…odd.” You say, noting her clumsy movements, subverting her otherwise athletic appearance.

“It’s almost like she’s not used to gravity.” Maribel agrees, nodding vigorously, before turning to you once again. ‘Look, I’m going to have to help the new girl clean up, but our shift is just about over. If you’re willing to wait, then we could go collect Renko and then go for dinner or something.” She says seriously. “It’s not every day you meet an old classmate after all.”

“I don’t mind.” You say. You don’t really have anything pressing to do and your old classmates Maribel and Renko would be worth some good conversation at the very least.

”Okay! I’ll be back in twenty minutes or so!” Maribel says cheerfully. “So please wait warmly.” Turning, she hurries off in a whirl of lace to give the clumsy new girl and hand with the clean up, leaving you standing alone.

Sighing, you stand your ground and wait “warmly.” Maribel evidently hasn’t changed much since your sojourn in high school, and is as cheerful, active and as obsessive with the occult as ever, as evident by her lively chatter and the way she carries herself throughout the day. You watch as your old friend leans over to the new girl and begins to say something, gesturing wildly all the way. The new girl laughs somewhat guiltily and stows away the camera, and pulls a couple of brooms from a corner and the two quickly get to work.

Mildly interested, you move closer and manage to catch a few snatches of conversation.

“This is going to make big news back home!” the unfamiliar voice says energetically.

“Really?” Maribel asks curiously. “You keep a blog or something?”

“Er…..ah….something like that. A…blog?” came the uncertain reply. But Maribel takes it at face value, chattering happily. “Really?” she says, “You know, I’ve got a blog too, all about occult stuff, you know.”

The newcomer grins hesitantly, but Maribel doesn’t seem to notice anything amiss.

[] Give them a hand. (If so, choose to talk to Maribel or the strange new employee.)
[] Keep your distance, and ask Maribel about the new girl when she gets back.
[] Decide that you don’t feel like dinner and go home.
>> No. 11721
[X] Give them a hand.
[X] Talk to the new girl.

Super clumsy newbie Aya? Holy shit, my moe sensors are being overloaded. These levels are shooting right off the charts!
>> No. 11723
[x] Give them a hand. (Chat with both of them)
>> No. 11726
[X] Give them a hand.
[X] Talk to the new girl.
>> No. 11728
{X} Give them a hand.
{X} Talk to the new girl.
>> No. 11729
[X] Give them a hand.
[X] Talk to the new girl.
[X] Make conversation about the camera. It's pretty old, isn't it?
>> No. 11730
[X] Give them a hand.
[X] Talk to the new girl.
[X] Make conversation about the camera. It's pretty old, isn't it?

>[] Someone is missing from the mountain.
>[] and the breach in the border at Youkai Mountain?”
Well, we just came across one of the issues Yukari brought up. I guess Aya, being her nosy self, took a little jaunt into the Outside World, here, and either
1) Can't get back, or
2) Is too busy taking in the sights and gathering material to bother coming back.
>> No. 11733
[x] Buy the fucking lingerie, you cowardly nigger.
>> No. 11735
[X] Give them a hand.
[X] Talk to the new girl.
[X] Make conversation about the camera. It's pretty old, isn't it?
[x] Buy the fucking lingerie, you cowardly nigger.
>> No. 11736
>[x] Buy the fucking lingerie, you cowardly nigger.

Maybe we're not supposed to, or the writer doesn't want it?
>> No. 11737
[X] Give them a hand.
[X] Talk to the new girl.
[X] Make conversation about the camera. It's pretty old, isn't it?
>> No. 11738
[x] Give them a hand.
[x] Talk to the new girl.
[x] Make conversation about the camera. It's pretty old, isn't it?
>> No. 11739
[X] Give them a hand.
[X] Talk to the new girl.
[X] Make conversation about the camera. It's pretty old, isn't it?
>> No. 11764
File 122792014078.png - (19.61KB , 500x500 , 1206476151780.png ) [iqdb]
11764
>The source of it all is apparently one of the store’s employees, a fairly athletic looking young woman of medium height and with somewhat messy shoulder length hair of raven black. She stands over the remains of a wrecked mannequin and glass showcase, as if stunned by the destruction wrought. Then, amazingly, she whips out antiquated looking camera and begins snapping shots of the scene.

HAHA. Homeless slut.
>> No. 11789
File 122802025469.jpg - (225.56KB , 850x1193 , maribel and renko.jpg ) [iqdb]
11789
>>11733
Would make a good side story

>>11764
nice picture, you drew that?

[X] Give them a hand.
[X] Talk to the new girl.
[X] Make conversation about the camera. It's pretty old, isn't it?

While Yukari, brimming with concern, might have recommended that you keep alert for any disturbances, it would be verging on paranoia to assume every oddity would be cause for investigation. Even so, this newcomer Maribel had introduced has sparked your interest to a degree, even if Yukari hadn’t seen fit to give you some warning.

”Here, pass me a broom,” you say briskly, stepping up to the girl.

The newcomer gives a squawk of surprise as she wheels to face you. “Ah? Thanks a lot, but as an employee of this place, I don’t think I should be imposing on you.” She says reassuringly. “I’m sure we can handle it,” and gives you a feisty grin. “Thanks for the offer though.”

”Ayaaaa!” Maribel calls, face contorted into one of those sly smiles you’ve come to associate with her over the years. “If he wants to help, let him. It just means less work for the both of us,” then she turns and gives you a sly wink, pulls you close and whispers quickly. “Really smooth of you. But really now, you’ve only just met her five minutes ago and you want to get into her good books already?”

”What? No!” you whisper back fiercely.

“De-ni-al.” Maribel smirks. “But just so you know, her name is Hirano Aya. I don’t know if the kanji is identical or not, but the pronunciation is about the same as Haruhi’s voice actress.”

You pause. “Hirano, Aya?” You repeat incredulously. “You can’t be serious.”

“Hey, just because someone famous has a name, it doesn’t mean that no-one else can use it.” Maribel lectures. “Anyway, I’ll keep out of the way for a bit, so if you want to talk to her, go for it. Good Luck!” Then, she shoves you closer to Aya and says overly loudly, “I’ll dispose of the glass shards, you two finish sweeping up,” and finishes her overdone performance with a pat to your shoulder and a wink.

Handing you her broom, Maribel retrieves the shard filled bag and strides off to the furthest possible garbage disposal site, leaving you alone, (relatively speaking of course, since you are in the middle of the lingerie section of a department store.) with one “Hirano” Aya.

While Aya doesn’t react as badly to your presence as you had expected, treating you rather amicably and being rather chatty, you are fairly sure that the energetic young woman is hiding something and despite her energetic appearance, she has the look of someone worn out and down. Call it intuition if you will, developed from dealing with Yukari on a constant basis.

While you do continue talking with Aya, you find it increasingly hard to uncover inconsistencies and eventually you decide that despite her apparent chattiness, Aya is actually quite guarded against you. Eventually, your time does runs out. The glass has been cleared and Maribel returns, cutting short any more opportunities to find out more about Aya.

“Alrighty! All cleaned up!” Maribel cheers, giving Aya a friendly slap on the back. “You know what, newbie?” she says. “Why don’t you come along for dinner with us? Our treat”

You swear Aya’s eyes positively light up at the prospect of free food and she agrees readily. Laughing, Maribel tells you to wait and “not to peek” while she heads to the staff’s changing room, with Aya in tow.

“What are you doing?” you ask Maribel, the moment you have a chance, catching up to her after they have changed back into more casual street garb and are starting off to fetch Renko.

”Doing you a favor.” She whispers back. “I’m rooting for you!”

Shrugging, you follow in their wake, and once again, you compare the many similarities between Maribel and Yukari. Your firm belief that the two should never ever meet has only ever been strengthened over the years you’ve known the two of them.

Eventually, you do find Renko, who, while usually as impartial to meeting up with old schoolmates as the next person, is actually less than happy to see you. You suppose, as you fail to suppress a grin, that from her point of view, being caught wearing a plushy mascot costume and one depicting carrot no less, would be somewhat embarrassing. But she does quickly end her shift and follow along and soon, all four of you are on the streets, and quickly find yourselves sitting in a small family restaurant that you frequented often during your high school years.

With Aya sitting right across from you, you have a clear view of her as she stares inquisitively at the pepper mill, gingerly picking it up and examining it.

”It’s a pepper mill.” You take the initiative and explain, catching her attention. “It grinds up pepper if you want some.” You would have expected some form of response, but the curious acceptance displayed by Aya is somewhat unexpected.

”Really?” she says, placing the pepper mill down, as if it were a precious Ming dynasty vase rather than a cheap wooden condiments dispenser. “There’s so much interesting stuff here! What’s this?” she asks, holding up the electronic menu to your face.

“That’s the electronic menu,” you say, staring at Aya as she turns the small plastic module around in her hands, apparently to take a good look at its back. “You just enter the corresponding number of the dish you want into it, and they’ll send your order over once they’re done preparing.” At the edge of your vision you catch a pair of occult obsessed people doing their best not to listen in on your conversation.

Though you would say what you were doing now would be less of a conversation and more of an “everyday items” 101 crash course.
>> No. 11791
File 122802055824.jpg - (194.21KB , 838x1082 , 文 の憂鬱.jpg ) [iqdb]
11791
“All this…”Aya suddenly says, uncharacteristically somber, “I don’t usually see this kind stuff back home.”

”Really?” you say dryly. “You live in a mountain cave or something?” and effectively stop the conversation short. Noticing Maribel and Renko’s stares, you admit defeat. “Ah…sorry, Aya, I just blurted it out without really thinking.” You finish lamely.

”Its okay.” She says, giving you a somewhat magnanimous expression. “You’re not too far off the mark anyway, so don’t worry about it.”

”That camera,” you say, quickly changing the subject. “You’re interested in photography? It looks fairly old.”

“Old?” she protests. “I just had this made last year!” and suddenly, Aya is all business, describing all the hard work put into that camera of hers, apparently unaware that most cameras haven’t been using wood for the casing for a long while, nor steel for the shutter mechanisms, but you do recognize the look of someone worn down by troubles.

”You seem enthusiastic about it, at the very least.” You comment, and get a weak grin in reply.

”Of course I am! Journalism is my calling-I’m in a bit of slump now- but that doesn’t matter! Because I’ll make it back home!...Somehow!” she continues, speaking a mile a minute, verging on hysteria. You catch a glance from Maribel and Renko, but the message is clear. Let her talk. Aya seems to need someone to listen to her vent.

“Speaking of your home, Aya, why don’t you tell us more about it?” Renko asks, tapping in her order onto the electronic menu. “It must be quite the quiet countryside town.”

“Ahaha, yes, it’s very quiet, very peaceful.” Aya agrees. “Whole town is built onto the mountainside, near the edge of a waterfall, so it’s really, really….” She pauses. “Ah…well, either way, I don’t think I’ll be going back anytime soon…”

”So, you’re stuck here for a while,” You state, and Aya nods glumly.

”Awww, don’t be like that. I’m sure you’ll get home soon.” Maribel encourages. “It’s only natural to miss your friends and family.” Aya nods vigorously, tears forming and begins to speak.

”You know, I have this…” Aya struggles for a moment to find an appropriate term, “…something likes a cute little sister of sorts, her name’s Momizi, and she’s always giving me a hand when I need it. And then, there’s my…er…neighbor who stays a little way downstream, really a smart girl, always coming up with something cool. “She continues, eyes distant, as though recalling something from dimmed memory. “Then there’s…”

You look at Renko who shrugs. Evidently, she is as unsure about how to deal with this sudden change of atmosphere as you are, and is content to leave it to Maribel, who has moved closer to the still talking Aya.

“And then there’s Sanae.” Aya continues on, unaware of the attention the venting of her frustrations has caused. “She came about two years back and...”

“Really?” Maribel says soothingly, “We knew a Sanae back in the first two years of high school too.”

“Ahaha…is that so?” Aya laughs weakly, “Sorry for the trouble…I mean I barely know you guys at all, and here am I…”She wipes her eyes and says softly. “You were saying something about Sanae?” she asks.

”The Sanae we knew?” Maribel says gravely, “well, she vanished back in year two of high school and-“

You interrupt. “Enough Maribel, there is no point bringing Sanae up now.” Maribel looks at you worriedly and just nods.

The rest of the meal passes in relative silence.

[] Confront Aya after dinner breaks up. “Hirano” Aya isn’t your real name is it?”
[] Casually bring up the subject about “Gensokyo” and see what happens.
[] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.
[] Just go home and sleep. All this reminiscing has made you grumpy.

Feel free to write in sensibly.
>> No. 11795
>[] Casually bring up the subject about “Gensokyo” and see what happens.
I think we should do this after really becoming friends with Aya--solely to make it more dramatic. Well, I 'm a sucker for that sort of thing...

[X] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.
[X] Drag her over to an electronics store to do some window-shopping--if she builds cameras, she might be interested, right?
[X] On a totally unrelated note, how much is that rent? The envelope implies paper money, which in turn implies that it would be more than ¥100...
>> No. 11798
[X] Casually bring up the subject about “Gensokyo” and see what happens.
[X] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.

I'm a sucker for girls who happen to be down on their luck.

That aside, if we just mention "Gensokyo" as though it were the place a friend happens to be from, we might give Aya some incentive to stick around us. As the someone who happens to be missing from the mountain, it is in our best interests to make it easy for us to help her.
>> No. 11800
[] Casually bring up the subject about “Gensokyo” and see what happens.
[] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.
>> No. 11801
[x] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.

I'm excluding the "Gensokyo" comment because we'd be getting a larger and more immediate reaction from Maribel and Renko (unless they're not our Maribel and Renko) before we would Aya. And we have enough time to put her on the spot when we escort her back to her lean-to like the gentleman we are. Or something.
>> No. 11804
[X] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.
[X] Discretely bring up the subject of “Gensokyo” and see what happens.

First part because while it appears philanthopic in nature, the ulterior motive of finding out more about Aya is in keeping with our sociopathic personality. Second part is tweeked because outright mention of Gensokyo wouldn't be as revealing as dropping phrases dripping with Gensokyo related double-entendre: having a shrine maiden friend that disapeared off the face of the planet a couple years ago, an associate that is always on the border of commitment and indecision, a princess-like friend with an insatiable hunger... so on and so forth.
>> No. 11805
[X] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.
[X] Discretely bring up the subject of “Gensokyo” and see what happens.
>> No. 11806
>>11803 here

Changing vote because this looks better.

[X] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.
[X] Discretely bring up the subject of “Gensokyo” and see what happens.
>> No. 11808
[X] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.
[X] Discretely bring up the subject of “Gensokyo” and see what happens.
>> No. 11815
[X] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.
[X] Discretely bring up the subject of “Gensokyo” and see what happens.
>> No. 11826
>>11798
Now's Aya got a bullying moe too?

[X] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.
[X] Discretely bring up the subject of “Gensokyo” and see what happens.
>> No. 11829
[X] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.
[X] Discretely bring up the subject of “Gensokyo” and see what happens.
>> No. 11832
[X] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.
[X] Discretely bring up the subject of “Gensokyo” and see what happens.

Just read the topic, and this seems really nice.
>> No. 11845
[x] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.
[x] Discretely bring up the subject of “Gensokyo” and see what happens.

oh god I love Aya so much
>> No. 11847
>>11791
Huh. That's an... oddly relevant pictuSON OF A BITCH IT WAS CUSTOM MADE
LOOK AT THE DATE
THE DATE
>> No. 11848
>>11847

Translated the image name comes out as The Melancholy of Aya.
>> No. 11849
What the fuck are wrong with those legs

What the fuck is wrong with that face

What the fuck what the fuck it's like something out of a nightmare
>> No. 11850
>>11849
So harsh.
>> No. 11851
>>11850
Harsh is truth.
>> No. 11853
bleh,drawing nothing special
Prove me wrong if you can, drawfag.
Either way, I win.
>> No. 11854
File 122811390813.png - (103.40KB , 500x538 , 1198206855883.png ) [iqdb]
11854
>>11849
>> No. 11875
>>11848
...Oho. I see what was done there.
>> No. 11907
Can we please continue this story?

Also,
[x] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.
[x] Discretely bring up the subject of “Gensokyo” and see what happens.
>> No. 11937
File 122822456295.jpg - (171.79KB , 738x1017 , 文とSOMYカメララブ物語 AyaXCamera.jpg ) [iqdb]
11937
>>11849
>>11853
Well, with practice, comes improvement, but I've just started.
--------
[X] Ask if Aya has anywhere to stay. Maribel did say she was camping out in a lean-to.
[X] Discretely bring up the subject of “Gensokyo” and see what happens.

Dinner eventually ends, and the rather subdued reunion breaks up, with Renko first departing, claiming that she had a few errands to run before the day was out, leaving you with Aya and Maribel. Aya, despite her weary demeanor, is looking much more contented than you have ever seen her, now that she has had a full hot meal put into her and a chance to vent out her frustrations.

”Well, I guess the reunion’s over huh. “Maribel comments, “Unless you want to go do something?” she adds. “Why don’t we take a walk?” she suggests. While Aya seems enthusiastic, you couldn’t really care either way, merely shrugging and following in their wake.

While it is already late evening, the pedestrian-only streets are still as congested as ever, both sides bordered by an enormous array of shops and restaurants and with a veritable sea of humanity flowing sluggishly through the middle. Brightly lit neon signs line the buildings as shopkeepers hawk their wares, from electronics, to books to even cooking appliances. The very air seems alive with all the lights and noise.

”Hoi! Maribel-chan!” an elderly voice suddenly calls out. “We didn’t expect to see you here today! I’m afraid the book on Wicca traditions you ordered hasn’t arrived yet, but we did get some stock on books regarding the various “sealed realms.”” Maribel turns quickly, positively beaming, towards the local branch of the Kinokuniya bookstore, where an older woman stands, waving in Maribel’s general direction.

”I’ll just be a second,” Maribel says apologetically and drifts off towards the bookstore, eyes dreamy and hands reaching into her purse, leaving you and Aya standing near the edge of the shopping street.

”Come on,” you say to Aya. “She’ll be a while; I’ve seen that look on her face many times. Let’s take a look around” Aya unsurprisingly fulfills your expectations as she makes a beeline for the first store with cameras on display. Mildly amused, you quickly follow, taking care to ensure that the both of you remain within sight of the Kinokuniya, so that Maribel can locate you later.

”Digital?” Aya asks, face to face with the sweating store’s clerk, just as you catch up with her. “Is that some new kind of camera film?” The clerk just looks at her with some confusion. “Film? No no no, madam. This is the latest Cybershot digital we have, with ten point two mega-pixels, fifteen times zoom functionality, 3 inch LCD screen and so forth.”

”Ah.” Aya says, somewhat unconvinced. “So this doesn’t use film?”

”…No madam.” The long suffering clerk replies with all the grace he can muster. “Here, take this,” he says, handing Aya a catalogue, “I’m afraid we don’t stock film cameras here, but if you do decide to go digital, it will help you make your decision.”

You watch as Aya emerges, back from the counter, staring intently at the catalogue with great interest, to the clerk’s great relief. “I don’t get it.” She says, moving towards you. “Where are you supposed to load the film? It’s obviously too small.” Briefly, you consider confronting Aya about your suspicions right there and then, but some part of you tells you that this isn’t the right time or place. Considering the situation, you decide to wait it out. Should your suspicions be unfounded, you would like to ensure she is in the state of mind to remain calm before you start accusing her of anything. In addition, you really don’t know just how you would bring the subject up.

But there is something else you need to resolve before hand. “Aya,” you say seriously, quickly catching the girl’s attention. “Maribel mentioned that you’re camping out on the department store’s roof in a lean-to?”

Aya hesitates for a moment, before nodding slowly.

“Do you need a proper place to stay?” you ask. For this particular scenario, you decide to ask directly, instead of skirting around this sensitive issue.

“You…you want me to stay with you?” Aya yelps, looking both surprised and embarrassed.

”Wha? No no no, of course not!” you reply quickly shaking your head, trying to diffuse the awkward situation this has degenerated into. “That would be too improper! Why can’t people wait till I’m fully done talking before they jump to conclusions?” you enunciate, pushing your skewed glasses back on.

“Too improper?” Aya says curiously. “It’s rare for a man to say that.”

”It’s just the way I was raised.” You state firmly. “And that is that.” While Yukari technically was head of the odd little family that were your tenants, Ran was the stricter and more motherly of the Yakumo family, and mother you outrageously, she did. One of the first things that Ran had drilled into you was that there were certain proprieties that were to be maintained between members of the opposite sex. It was an important thing for you to remember, considering that back then; whenever you visited Gensokyo, you were just a small boy in a land populated almost exclusively by flying magical girls.

”I’m not suggesting that you stay with me, but I do know somewhere you can rent out a room for a while, it’s winter and it’s going to be too cold to camp out.” you explain, trying to seem that Aya’s suspicious look does no faze you at all.

“It’s alright,” Aya says, folding the camera brochure neatly, before she slips it into her pocket. “I don’t really mind camping out; it’s just like what I do every now and then back home.” She states, suddenly eyeing you all over. “You know, you aren’t too bad a person,” she assures you somewhat jokingly. “You’re just indecently serious.”

“Well said!” Maribel agrees, with mock applause, apparently appearing from nowhere, arms laden with several large tomes. “I’ve been trying to cure our friend here,” she says, patting you on the shoulder, “of his chronic gloominess for years now, and I’ve gotten nowhere. It’s a little depressing.”

“New books, again?” you ask, speculating the prices of the books Maribel clutches protectively in her arms. They are magnificent pieces, seemingly leather bound and briefly, you wonder why a common book stock chain would stock these. But, it is not beyond possibility that Maribel blessed with a silver spoon in her mouth, could afford to pay a bookshop to get them.

“Yeah,” Maribel chirps, “a collection of essays on Gensokyo.”

The effects of Maribel’s words are almost instantaneous. Aya seems to stiffen, mouth flapping open in surprise.

You berate yourself for not thinking of exploiting Maribel’s passion for the supernatural earlier. While by yourself, talking about Gensokyo would be awkward and unnatural, for your seeming lack of connection to that place, but from Maribel, it would seem like the most natural thing in the world. (For those who she was on good terms enough to prattle on about the subject at the very least.)
>> No. 11939
“You, know of Gensokyo?” Aya says, voice barely more than a whisper. “How do you, know?” She sounds shocked and her face has paled, but in her eyes, you swear that you can see a wild desperate hope. “Can you take me there?”

You know your suspicions have been confirmed, as Aya looks pleadingly towards Maribel, who for once, has nothing much to say. In the tense standoff, you hear Aya mumble something barely audible and surely meant for no one’s ears but her own in a tiny voice.

“I want to go home…”

It’s not nearly Christmas yet, but it seems that you’ll be making a premature visit.

Back Home.

[] Arrange for an early trip to Gensokyo with Aya, but try to keep Maribel and Renko out of it. While Yukari didn’t explicitly state that you shouldn’t tell anyone about your visits, you wouldn’t want to betray her trust.

[] Go “on an expedition to discover the path to Gensokyo” (as Maribel says) as a big group, and slip away once Maribel and Renko get preoccupied.

[] Go alone and contact your wayward tenant. Arrange for Aya’s return home. Gapping, first class.

Feel free, once again to write in sensibly.

--------
On a side note, I'm fairly relieved to see that we're nearing end of the "Saving Reporter Aya" prologue, and to be able to get into Gensokyo proper soon. Envisioning what a lost, confused and depressed Aya while still retaining some of her cheerful and feisty demeanor, was hard to say the least, but I feel that it's turned out okay. Hopefully, Aya would have learnt not to poke her nose into holes in reality anymore after this.
>> No. 11940
>>11937

Oh, you drew it? Awesome, keep training ok? Oh, maybe, if you have some time, draw something from another story? No, wait, that would take too much time, better not.

>[] Arrange for an early trip to Gensokyo with Aya, but try to keep Maribel and Renko out of it. While Yukari didn’t explicitly state that you shouldn’t tell anyone about your visits, you wouldn’t want to betray her trust.
>[] Go alone and contact your wayward tenant. Arrange for Aya’s return home. Gapping, first class

Which to choose, which to choose? I don't think we can keep Maribel out of Gensokyo, but she might go before we get in alone.

Wait, doeas that mean the protagonist can get in and out of Gensokyo alone? Or does he need to first call Yukari?

[] Go alone and contact your wayward tenant. Arrange for Aya’s return home. Gapping, first class

Let's see how it works.
>> No. 11944
[x] Arrange for an early trip to Gensokyo with Aya, but try to keep Maribel and Renko out of it. While Yukari didn’t explicitly state that you shouldn’t tell anyone about your visits, you wouldn’t want to betray her trust.

We haven't even gotten presents yet~ Oh well.
>> No. 11945
>>11940

Landlordanon probably has his own private gap in or something
>> No. 11948
{X} Go alone and contact your wayward tenant. Arrange for Aya’s return home. Gapping, first class.
>> No. 11949
Not sure how he goes back and forth, but Yukari had trouble gapping in and out at during the beginning, so she had to take some trains.

Which puts together in my mind, that maybe we'll have to escort Aya through the trains, while Maribel and Renko try to stalk us. When you get found out, mutter that you "haven't even finished my Christmas shopping", which then prompts Maribel to say that's why you were in the lingerie section.
>> No. 11950
[X] Arrange for an early trip to Gensokyo with Aya, but try to keep Maribel and Renko out of it. While Yukari didn’t explicitly state that you shouldn’t tell anyone about your visits, you wouldn’t want to betray her trust.
>> No. 11953
>>11949

Oh yeah, that's right. Yukari can't get gap this time. >>11940 here, I'm changing my vote to >[x] Arrange for an early trip to Gensokyo with Aya, but try to keep Maribel and Renko out of it. While Yukari didn’t explicitly state that you shouldn’t tell anyone about your visits, you wouldn’t want to betray her trust.
>> No. 11954
[X] Arrange for an early trip to Gensokyo with Aya, but try to keep Maribel and Renko out of it.
>> No. 11956
[X] Arrange for an early trip to Gensokyo with Aya, but try to keep Maribel and Renko out of it. While Yukari didn’t explicitly state that you shouldn’t tell anyone about your visits, you wouldn’t want to betray her trust.
>> No. 11958
[X] Arrange for an early trip to Gensokyo with Aya, but try to keep Maribel and Renko out of it. While Yukari didn’t explicitly state that you shouldn’t tell anyone about your visits, you wouldn’t want to betray her trust.
>> No. 11960
[X] Arrange for an early trip to Gensokyo with Aya, but try to keep Maribel and Renko out of it. While Yukari didn’t explicitly state that you shouldn’t tell anyone about your visits, you wouldn’t want to betray her trust.
>> No. 11986
[x] Arrange for an early trip to Gensokyo with Aya, but try to keep Maribel and Renko out of it. While Yukari didn’t explicitly state that you shouldn’t tell anyone about your visits, you wouldn’t want to betray her trust.
>> No. 11987
Because I feel that having Renko and Maribel in this story *without* them going to Gensokyo may be a tad of injustice,

[X] Arrange for an early trip to Gensokyo with Aya, but try to keep Maribel and Renko out of it. While Yukari didn’t explicitly state that you shouldn’t tell anyone about your visits, you wouldn’t want to betray her trust.
[X] Tell Yukari about Renko and Maribel, ask what her thoughts on them are and if they could be let to see Gensokyo.

And a note to the author: you're doing a very good job, keep it up!
>> No. 11988
>>11987

I strongly suspect that they might end up following us anyway - they were willing to follow us when it just seemed we were trying to get a date, and now helping Aya after she more or less says out loud that she's from Gensokyo? Given that we're probably still going to go back home to deal with the I-Pod, and possibly even later depending on border trouble/train scheludes, that should give plenty of time for our dynamic duo to spring into action.

It also seems that Yukari is foregoing hibernation this winter for some reason. Is it that bad?
>> No. 11990
>>11988

i ha the impression that Maribel thought that Aya just wanted in on her "Gensokyo huting expedition." Besides, Aya has never directly said that she's from Gensokyo.
>> No. 11991
>>It also seems that Yukari is foregoing hibernation this winter for some reason.
Her iPod needed recharging. This is serious business.

[x] Arrange for an early trip to Gensokyo with Aya, but try to keep Maribel and Renko out of it. While Yukari didn’t explicitly state that you shouldn’t tell anyone about your visits, you wouldn’t want to betray her trust.
>> No. 11993
>>11988
"It's doomed to failure, so let's not bother."

Shame on you.

You gotta do your best, follow your principles, no matter what cliff's edge they lead you to.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. You think those two would've been so awesome if they'd taken a look at the Bolivian cavalry and gone 'alright, we give up'? The Spartans. You think they'd make a movie about those warriors if they'd thrown themselves on their swords once they'd realized they were outnumbered? And Captain Blackadder and his stupid meaningless sacrifice at the trenches!



--by the way, if it so happens that I've totally misinterpreted your post and you agree with me, I'm very sorry for subjecting you to all of this, though you might as well copy-paste my ramblings because I figure it's got to come in handy sooner or later. Right? Right.

Feck.
>> No. 11994
>"It's doomed to failure, so let's not bother."

The point was that they'll probably get to Gensokyo no matter what we do. How the hell you're getting that they won't is beyond me. Hell, Maribel can cross under her own power.
>> No. 12005
>>11990

>“You, know of Gensokyo?”
>“Can you take me there?”
>“I want to go home…”

That's not direct enough for you?
>> No. 12010
>you hear Aya mumble something barely audible and surely meant for no one’s ears but her own in a tiny voice.

It looks like Landlordanaon just happened to hear something Aya muttered for herself.

I used my massive scrying power to the author's mind, and saw his intent, and his inability to write clearly
>> No. 12012
>>12010
Wait, you mean that wasn't obvious?
>> No. 12033
File 122836831481.jpg - (90.78KB , 573x924 , 121687802998.jpg ) [iqdb]
12033
update
>> No. 12052
File 122840830612.png - (446.14KB , 500x599 , kusanagi_kikouku aya04.png ) [iqdb]
12052
>>12010
>>12012
Well, thanks for pointing that out...

-------
[] Arrange for an early trip to Gensokyo with Aya, but try to keep Maribel and Renko out of it. While Yukari didn’t explicitly state that you shouldn’t tell anyone about your visits, you wouldn’t want to betray her trust.

“Sure, Aya, you’re welcome to come with us anytime!” Maribel finally says, clutching her books to her chest. “I really didn’t know you were so…er…passionate about the mysteries of Gensokyo too.” She comments finally.

“Thank you…really” Aya states firmly, leaving you no doubt that Aya does erroneously believe that Maribel knows how to consciously enter Gensokyo. With no option left, you decide to intervene before Aya’s high hopes are dashed on one of Maribel’s wild goose chases through the wildernesses.

While you do not doubt that Maribel has penetrated the Gensokyo border on several occasions, she has never done it consciously, catching only fleeting snatches of vision and sound from the land beyond. The way Yukari explained it, the border simply repulsed those who actively sought it out. Exceptions happen, and occasionally, at places where the boundary was stretched thin, or when a person was unusually attenuated, (Maribel’s case), partial entry would be possible.

Still, you wait till the party disperses and under the pretense of heading in the same general direction, you bid Maribel goodbye and go along with Aya as she treks back to her dwelling. For the first time in the entire day, you are truly alone with the girl, and are free to talk without the intrusive obstacle that Maribel presents.

“Aya,” you begin.

“Hmm?” she acknowledges, still strolling, obviously in no hurry for anything.

“I’m just going to clarify something with you.” you say, pacing alongside her.

“Sure.” Aya agrees, “What do you need to know? I’m in the mood for talking, so I can chat for a bit, as long as it doesn’t concern anything too private.”

“Good, I’ll get to the point.” You say, preparing yourself for a possible bad reaction. “You’re not from some remote mountain town, nor are you here for any purpose other than sheer accident.” You confront the raven haired girl. “You’re name isn’t “Hirano”, and you most definitely don’t have a blog! And that’s because, you’re from Gensokyo, aren’t you Aya?” you finish, noting the expression on her face.

“How…do you know?” she asks, backing away now, expression wary.

“Let’s just say that I have connections to Gensokyo and you may need my help to get back.” You say levelly, unwilling as of yet to divulge the extent of your relationship with Yukari. Knowledge that the two of you are acquainted would suffice for this situation.

“How can I trust you?” Aya says. While she has overcome her shock to a degree, she still appears guarded against you. “I just met you today.” she states.

“You just met Maribel the other day, “you point out, provoking a glare. “But I will prove that I do have a genuine link to Gensokyo, and can help you get back.”

“Say it.” She challenges.

You take a big breath and begin. “Yukari, Ran, Chen, Reimu, Akyu, Rinnosuke…” speaking unhesitatingly, you rattle on the names of everyone you’ve met in Gensokyo during your visits. “…Marisa, Tokiko and Cirno!” you finish, slightly out of breath. “Recognize any of them?” While you probably haven’t met everyone in Gensokyo, you are sure that Aya does recognize some of the names you mention.

”You…you…I must be going mad…” Aya sighs dejectedly. “Now, two of my friends have blurted out that they know about Gensokyo in a day. Who do I trust? I must be mad…because I want to trust the both of you.”

“We both really want to help.” You correct. “Though Maribel’s help might not be as effective as you think.” Quickly, you explain the circumstances, about Maribel’s intriguing affinity for the Hakurei barrier and your reasons why you feel that Maribel is best kept away from Gensokyo, for now at least.

Aya eventually assents to your offer, and you begin to lay your plans. By meticulous planning, or by plain good fortune, you happen to choose your day to set out on the department store’s Annual year end sale, largely eliminating Maribel and Renko from the scenario.

Early in the morning, you made your way through the sleeping township, all the way to the department store, where you clambered up the fire escape unenthusiastically, and cursing Aya’s abnormal choice of dwelling.

You clamber of the last chest high barricade, just as the sun peeks over the horizon, illuminating a veritable sea of crows. The murder of crows surrounded a crudely constructed lean-to set up against the water tank, and you estimate that there were at least five hundred of the stinking birds.

The crows, disturbed by your presence, begin cawing and flapping their wings, raising a storm of feathers, as you pick your way through them, occasionally shoving one away with your foot and approach the lean-to. It is hard to see in the gloom, but you make out the distinct shape of a person inside a thick sleeping bag, which you take to be Aya. Reaching within, you displace the fattest crow you have ever seen from his roost atop the sleeping bag, grasp the fabric firmly, and shake Aya into the world of the conscious.

Thankfully, Aya is not a heavy sleeper and is quite amicable, despite being woken in such a way and your hurried pace as you lead her to the station. While your train hasn’t arrived yet, you won’t chance missing it, as it’s a two hour ride to Chuushin City station and a transfer to another train for a five hour ride to the outskirts.

There are some minor incidents, Aya never having seen a train before and such, but she remains calm, if excited about the journey and you don’t really have to worry too much about her, though she did mistake cough syrup for a beverage on one occasion, downing some of the sickly sweet suspension before you could stop her and pocket the bottle. “That was the worst drink I ever had,” she commented later.

Still, the ride to Chuushin City station is a pleasant one, if a little dull, as is the second train you get on. You’ve made the trip many times before, and have never really enjoyed the monotonous long journey. Aya on the other hand is utterly entranced by the view through the windows, of the city in the morning sun.

”This is all one big city huh? The world is so…big!” she says, and you think, that from a native of Gensokyo’s perspective, that sums it up quite nicely.

[] It’s boring. A part of you wants something exciting to happen.
[] Just chat with Aya all the way.
[] Go to sleep till you reach the last stop.

-------------------

I'll be out of bed soon and back to regular life, so I'll not be updating as often as these few days. Thanks for the encouragement and constructive criticism.
>> No. 12054
[] It’s boring. A part of you wants something exciting to happen.

We're on a train, right? Then there is only one thing to do: rape.
>> No. 12056
[x] It’s boring. A part of you wants something exciting to happen.

If it takes too long though....

[x] Just chat with Aya all the way.

Yay, site's back. Was starting to get the shakes.
>> No. 12057
[x] It’s boring. A part of you wants something exciting to happen.

A wild YUKA appears!
Wild YUKA used RIP AND TEAR!
TRAIN takes 9001 damage!
>> No. 12060
[x] Just chat with Aya all the way.
[x] Ask one of the food carts for two lunch sets and some candy/drinks.

I can smell bad things coming from the other two choices.
>> No. 12061
[x] Just chat with Aya all the way.
[x] Ask one of the food carts for two lunch sets and some candy/drinks.
>> No. 12063
[x] It’s boring. A part of you wants something exciting to happen.
>> No. 12064
[x] Just chat with Aya all the way.
[x] Ask one of the food carts for two lunch sets and some candy/drinks.
>> No. 12065
[x] It’s boring. A part of you wants something exciting to happen.

And another part of me thinks you guys are wimps.
>> No. 12068
[x] Just chat with Aya all the way.
[x] Ask one of the food carts for two lunch sets and some candy/drinks.
>> No. 12074
[] It’s boring. A part of you wants something exciting to happen.


Yukari + Trains = ????
Think about it
>> No. 12075
[x] It’s boring. A part of you wants something exciting to happen.
>> No. 12079
Yukari and trains do go together... It would be *very* interesting if she calculated where to place gaps so that she could temporarily put a section of the train within Gensokyo, and with a pair of quickly opening and closing gaps, take both Landlordanon and Aya out of it, leaving afterward the train to its original course outside Gensokyo(and likely a multitude of very confused passengers).

Now, my vote.
[X] It’s a little boring. A part of you wants something exciting to happen. but...
[X] Chat with Aya all the way. and...
[X] Ask one of the food carts for two lunch sets and some candy/drinks.

Because this combination seems the best to me.
>> No. 12081
[x] Yawn and stretch exaggeratedly.
[x] "GEE IT SURE IS BORING AROUND HERE."
>> No. 12084
[X] It’s boring. A part of you wants something exciting to happen.
[X] Just chat with Aya all the way.

And then Yukari used us in her special attack.
>> No. 12085
That was a hell of a lot of telling and not showing. I'm starting to get "SCIENCE!" vibes here.

[x] Just chat with Aya all the way.
[x] Ask one of the food carts for two lunch sets and some candy/drinks.
>> No. 12086
>>12085
I have to agree here, many of those events would've been nice to see.
>> No. 12087
>I'm starting to get "SCIENCE!" vibes here.

Oh God, not again.
>> No. 12102
While I'm enjoying this one so far, and while I am all for skipping boring or tedious scenes, I have to say I'm starting to get a little disappointed at the sheer amount that is being skipped.

It is a difficult balance, I know. But here's a guideline: If reading the summarized scene makes you smile, or react in any way other than skimming it over, that is an indication you should not be skipping it.

I've noticed that writefags have a tenancy to go way into detail on the problem solving and tedious frustrating parts of stories, and then summarize all of the lovely and amusing moments that are supposed to be the payoff for going through hell and back again.

TL;DR - Bring the summarizing down a notch, would you kindly? Otherwise, great job so far
>> No. 12114
>>12102
>>12087
>>12085

I'm still trying to get my pace and my style, but thanks for pointing it out.
>> No. 12115
File 122858024996.jpg - (229.73KB , 519x724 , kinsenka aya.jpg ) [iqdb]
12115
[X] It’s a little boring. A part of you wants something exciting to happen. but...
[X] Chat with Aya all the way.
[X] Ask one of the food carts for two lunch sets and some candy/drinks.
-----------
”And they’re all made of steel and glass?” Aya asks dubiously, pointing towards the skyscrapers in the distant horizon. “Wow, I can’t imagine how many blacksmiths it would take to forge something like that, I’m really impressed.” She concedes. “But don’t they topple over every time there’s an earthquake?”

”Not really,” you say, turning your gaze to the buildings that Aya indicates. “They’re engineered to resist quite a considerable amount of force.

“Ah…” she says absent mindedly, still preoccupied with the passing scenery as the train you two are on moves through the city district.

It’s been an hour since you’ve switched trains at Chuushin station and the sun has since reached her zenith. While you would have liked to sink into peaceful oblivion and ignore the dull monotony of the journey, Aya’s constant stream of chatter and exclamations of wonder have left you wanting. While ordinarily, you would have been surely, for some reason, you just satisfy Aya’s burning curiosity without a fuss, perhaps it’s the prospect of returning to Gensokyo that lightens your mood.

“EMOBILE?” Aya says, reading a passing signboard. “What is that supposed to be?”

”Telecommunications company.” You answer simply. “That allows you to communicate over long distances.” You explain, noting the bewildered expression on Aya’s face.

“So, they’re mail couriers then?” Aya quips. “They must be good, if they can afford advertisement that big.”

“No…how do I explain this?” you wonder. It should have been no surprise to you that Aya knows so little of the human realm. After all, Gensokyo as you know it has been stuck in the limbo of sixteenth century Japan since its founding centuries ago.

”Your voice is converted to electric signals and then transmitted to whoever is receiving your message.” You explain, trying to dredge up your old lessons in school from the depths of your memory, failing and settling for the condensed version.

”Ahh...” Aya goes once again, failing to convince you that she has understood your explanation. “But instantaneous long distance communication? Do you think that these “electric signals” could penetrate the border?” she asks.

”Why do you want to know that?” you counter, “It’s not like you have any friends outside the border do you?

“Don’t get the wrong idea.” She states, adverting her gaze. “I want to send something to with Maribel and Renko. They helped me out the first days I appeared here and I want them to know I’m fine.”

”I see.” You comment, ‘I’m sure they’ll be glad to know you’ll be fine. You can write a letter or something when you get back, then I’ll pass it on to them.”

“No!” Aya protests. “I meant, to keep continuous contact with them! Do you think it’s possible?”

“I doubt it.” You say, “Besides, to do that, you’ll need a phone, and a phone needs electricity, and I’m sure that you know that Gensokyo isn’t connected to the power grid. You’ll just have to write a letter, and remember, don’t mention anything about Gensokyo to Maribel or Renko!” you remind Aya fiercely.

“I’m not that stupid!” Aya protests loudly.

You’re interrupted by an elderly lady, who is manning a cart. “Ara, come on now, a full grown couple like you shouldn’t be fighting! Here, have something to eat, and I’m sure you’ll feel better.”

You turn to face the lady, who is all smiles. “What do you have?” you ask, but before you can react, the lady gasps and pulls you closer. “Oh oh oh! It’s you!” she squeals, “My my, you’ve really grown up! I’ve never forgotten a person, even if they’ve changed so much! I haven’t seen you for six years!”

You note Aya’s scandalous expression, and turn back to the cart-lady. “Long time no see…” you say blandly, but thankfully, you do not follow up with “shouldn’t you have passed away already?”

“Yes, I’m off to visit some “relatives”, yes; it has been a long time, yes, I’m in university now, no she’ not my girlfriend.” You say monotonously. The elderly cart-lady smiles broadly. “Ah, you know me so well...you even knew which questions I was going to ask. Ah well, As much as I’d love to, I can’t stay to chat, so choose a bento please.”

“Pork cutlet?” you ask, turning to Aya. Getting her nod, you reply. “Right, two pork cutlets, two mineral waters and any chocolate you have on hand.”

”Done, consider it on the house this time, as celebration of our reunion!” the lady cheers and hands the victuals over.

”No beer?” Aya asks, “I thought that with your most of you guys liked your beer.”

”I don’t drink much, for reasons I’d rather not discuss.” You state, trying to end the discussion.

”No really, tell me why,” Aya pleads, as you hand her, her bento and drink.

”Because, I’ll turn into a raging sex maniac if I drink.” You say.

”Huh, what?” Aya splutters, nearly toppling her meal off her lap.

”No, I said I have my reasons.” You reply, “And that’s that.”

”Fine, don’t tell me.” Aya says with a finality that makes you feel that she’s going to nose her way into this even if you don’t want her to. You’re about to retort why a flicker of something outside your window catches your eye.

You turn, and behold a two dimensional eye staring out of thin air. It blinks, and closes, then two more appear, then three, then four and soon there are two many to count. After your long association with Yukari, you’d be stupid if you didn’t know what this was by now. The transition between real space and the boundary between spaces was never a smooth one, and you feel the entire train jerk, as if grounding itself off the track, sending Aya crashing into you, skull colliding with your lower jaw.

Saving your breath, rather than cursing, you push Aya off you before she does the inevitable and just in time too, as she empties her stomach of its contents all over the floor (and your shoes) and turns to you looking nauseous. Gently, you lay her down on her seat, as she blubbers something.

”N…not…feelin…too…good….here…”

“Phase transition sickness,” you explain, “it’ll pass in a while, just lie there and keep quiet.” Worriedly, you gaze through the window and the hoards of eyes blinking in the nothingness gaze back at you, and then suddenly, just as suddenly as it began, it ends, nothingness giving way to material form and eyes vanishing to empty space.

Without turning away from the spectacle you hear a horrid retch as Aya does her thing once more, and suddenly, you’re gazing at a flower field through the glass. There are flashes of light and the sound of fighting, and then suddenly, something hits your window and ricochets off, careening off into the distance.

You don’t know what it was but you did catch a glimpse of it before it sailed off into the distance, then a horrible thought hits you. Would Yukari use a train of all things in her fighting style, and was that a person that just hit the train?

You’re sure you saw something, at any rate.

[] Someone’s armpit?
[] A Broomstick?
[] Some Dolls?
[] An indistinct filmy blob?
[] A scythe?
[] Undergarments accompanied by fluffy tail?
[] Enhancement Pads?
[] Black Devil’s wings?
[] Sake gourd?
[] Elaborately frilled shawl with crimson highlights?
[] Peaches?
-------------------
Note: This story takes place around the events of SWR, (excluding Aya).
>> No. 12118
>[] Peaches?

Then this would mean it's on the end of SWR?

[X] Black Devil’s wings?

Want to meet Suika~
>> No. 12119
>>12118
If you want to meet Suika I think you picked the wrong option.

[X] Undergarments accompanied by fluffy tail?
This is the only option that doesn't remind me of any SWR characters right away.
>> No. 12120
[x] Elaborately frilled shawl with crimson highlights?

I would feel sort of honored to be riding Yukari's train.
>> No. 12122
>>12119

Reisen. Poor useless bunny, only good for sex appeal.

[X] Elaborately frilled shawl with crimson highlights?

I like Iku, and she has not appeared in nearly enough stories.
>> No. 12125
[X] Elaborately frilled shawl with crimson highlights?
>> No. 12126
[X] Elaborately frilled shawl with crimson highlights?

DDR...DDR...DDR...DDR...
>> No. 12127
[X] Elaborately frilled shawl with crimson highlights?
>> No. 12128
[x] Elaborately frilled shawl with crimson highlights?
>> No. 12129
[x] Peaches?
It sounds delicious~

>[] Someone’s armpit?
Somehow I think that a train flying out of a gap would manage to kill Reimu, no matter how tough she is.
>> No. 12134
Heh, we've just been hijacked for the Waste Line.

>>[x] Elaborately frilled shawl with crimson highlights?
>> No. 12136
[] A scythe?

Never enough Machi-Machi.
>> No. 12137
>>12129
Not with SWR physics it doesn't. If you're going to take IaMP and SWR seriously, I think the best way is to assume they're using some kind of magical dueling enchantment to create a battleground where certain rules and gameplay mechanics take precedence over the laws of physics/magic/etc. (If you've played FFTA2, it's kind of the same reasoning behind the existence of the judge system.) Gensokyo first used it to have spell card duels with harmless projectiles, then someone came up with a way to modify it so the duelists can physically beat the crap out of each other without taking any real damage.
>> No. 12138
[!/] Elaborately frilled shawl with crimson highlights?

Iku~
The lack of her is disturbing. And how she would act around Landlord Anon would be interesting.
>> No. 12140
>>12137

>(If you've played FFTA2, it's kind of the same reasoning behind the existence of the judge system.)

PIZZACUTTER SWORD.
>> No. 12144
[x] Elaborately frilled shawl with crimson highlights?
>> No. 12148
>>12137

Hm. Perhaps I didn't think that through quite well enough. Oh well, no complaints here.

Though imagining Reimu stuck to the front of a bullet train while the conductors look out at her in total shock brings a smile to my face. That or seeing her laid out on her belly underneath the train, Landlordanon asking who she is and Yukari shrugging her off as "no one special".
>> No. 12150
[s] Undergarments accompanied by fluffy tail?

i'd her tail
>> No. 12156
[x] Elaborately frilled shawl with crimson highlights?

Fuck yes Iku.
>> No. 12164
>>12148

Ah, but Landlordanon seems to have known her back when she was still in training. He'd probably be rather confused if he found Yukari running a train on her...

Then again, he knows Yukari, so maybe it wouldn't be that surprising.
>> No. 12166
>>12164

I just figured she'd be pretty far away by the time the train stopped, so he wouldn't be able to recognize her from this distance. Yukari would probably just try and push us away from trying to see who it is.
>> No. 12198
File 122871891345.jpg - (78.89KB , 539x800 , seo_tasuya iku.jpg ) [iqdb]
12198
Wow, didn't expect you guys to vote for Iku, of all people. Now you've left me wondering how to portray her.

Also, note, with Iku, Tenshi will inevitably come into the picture, though not in a way you may expect.
-----------
[] Elaborately frilled shawl with crimson highlights

With a sudden jerk, you are hurled against the hard glass of the window as the train begins its transition back to the boundary between spaces, and with an abrupt suddenness, you’re back in the human realm, safe and sound, albeit somewhat shaken.

While you’ve been more or less immunized against the transition sickness over the years, Aya still seems the worse off for wear, lying on her seat and moaning pathetically, her stomach thankfully devoid of anything left to regurgitate.

”I...I…water…please?” Feebly, Aya tries to speak, but you quiet her.

”Shhh, just keeps still and rest, and you’ll feel better in no time.” You assure, getting a barely perceptible nod in reply. Stooping, you bend to retrieve the bottles of mineral water that you had purchased earlier, but quickly abandon your efforts. The first of the two has been split open, leaking water on to the already soiled floorboards. You deduce that you must have trodden on it in the prior confusion, and as for the other, it had apparently rolled into the narrow space under the seats, frustratingly just of your arm’s reach.

”I’ll be back in a while, Aya.” You instruct. “There’s no water left here.” Getting a weak groan in reply, which you take for a yes, you stand and exit the compartment, sliding the door aside with without much hesitation. Your suspicions are confirmed, from the various people lying about whining and the puddles of vomit, that getting help would not be easy.

You wordlessly step over the bodies as you make your way down the train carriages, occasionally spotting the odd person who hasn’t succumbed to the nausea. One of them thankfully appears to be the cart-lady.

”Oh, you still up, dear?” she says, “I’ll suppose you’ll be needing water for lady friend?” she asks sagely. “Don’t worry dear, it’s on the house.” And hands you a new bottle, then turns back to her charges, a couple of small children, obviously not feeling too well , feeding them sips of water while their distraught mother looks on.

”Why’s everyone like this?” the woman questions, eyes filled with worry.

”Don’t worry, dearie,” the cart-lady assures. “It’ll pass. You know, they say that this train is cursed, that at certain times, at certain places, the train enters the netherworld, and all the people fall sick for a while, but no one actually get hurt.”

It seems that Yukari has “used” this train on more than one occasion. Though you know full well the actual reason behind the bouts of nausea, you spare no time to explain as you thank the cart-lady and retrace your steps back to Aya, but as you turn to leave, you hear someone’s call from the opposite direction.

”Oi! You boy, over here!” a man’s voice calls out. “There’s someone stuck over the railings! Give me a hand!” Hurriedly, you move over to the couplings between the carriages, and spot the man who’s beckoning towards you. It turns out to be the elderly conductor, who’s desperately trying to pull someone, a woman? Back over the railings of the old style carriage.

With little fuss, you join the fray, gripping the fallen woman’s around the chest, underneath her arms, and with the elderly man’s help pull her up and over the railings. With a thud, you fall over, and unintentionally drape the woman over yourself, highly improper, as Ran would have lectured. Hastily, you push her off and lean her against railings.

For the first time, you take a good look at the person you saved. A woman of slightly above average height, you would say that she would be only a few centimeters shorter than you are with a mop of shoulder length hair, almost like Aya’s. Though, Aya’s hair was of deepest raven black, and naturally messily curly, while the woman’s hair was charmingly straight (though in disarray,) and with a subtle purplish hint to it. She can’t be more than a couple of years older than you.

Dressed moedestly, with a white shirt, and black dress, the remains of a torn shawl hangs limply from her arms. You recognize this, most of it was fluttering by your window when something hit the train, and you begin to suspect that that “something” would be this girl before you. For some reason, Yukari saw fit to come into conflict with this girl, but you decide to save the questions for a more appropriate time. You’re not going to get anything out of the girl now, at any rate.

”I’ll bring her in.” you say, in a tone that brooks no objection, turning towards the elderly conductor, who not surprisingly, does not object. Stooping, you pull the girl up, and arrange her arms around your neck, then supporting her rear, you lift her up, piggy back and start for Aya’s compartment. Ignoring the curious stare of those not ill enough to be unconscious, you make your way through the carriages, pausing only to give the cart-lady a hand with her charges.

Eventually, you reach your compartment one more, and slide the door open once again. Aya stirs, disturbed by your entry and peeks a bleary eye open.

”Who’s that?” she mumbles, as you lay the unresisting girl down on your seat.

”Don’t know,” you answer, “but I suspect that she’s from Gensokyo too,” opening the bottle of water and allowing Aya to take gentle sips from it.

”Thanks,” Aya says, weakly, expressing her gratitude.

“No problem.” You reply, looking intently at your newcomer, who has fully succumbed to unconsciousness by now, breathing rhythmic and shallow. “Do you recognize this person, Aya?” you ask.

”Ah…no…I’ve never seen her before.” Aya manages.

”Right, never you mind then.” You say. “Try to go to sleep.” You advise and Aya seems all too happy to oblige you, sinking back into her seat with obvious relish, and soon, her breathing steadies and her head slumps forward onto your arm, fast asleep, almost child like in her slumber. The girl you pulled from being crushed under the tracks snores ever so softly, purple hair splaying across her face, and along with the warm weight of Aya’s head on your shoulder, you find sleep beckoning to you as well. Understandably, since you’re been on an adrenaline high for the past half an hour.

But, you don’t let sleep claim you yet. Now is the time for plans and deliberations.

You consider your options. From your experience, the denizens of Gensokyo are supernaturally tough, however, Yukari has also stated that the human realm saps the strength of such people, and thus, you feel that the two might no be able to make the last leg of the journey, the two hour long trek up the mountains to the human side of the old Hakurei Shrine.

“What in the world am I going to do with you two?” you ask, to no one in particular, as Aya snorts in her sleep. Your stop is the very end of the line, a small rural town at the base of a mountains, and with two incapacitated people in tow, you doubt your ability to reach the shrine.



[] Find somewhere to rest for the night. (Paid accommodations)
[] Find somewhere to rest for the night. (Camp out)
[] Look for a clinic for some medicine to relieve nausea.
[] Try to make it up the mountain anyway, once Aya and the newcomer are coherent enough to move.

Feel free to write in sensibly.

on a side note, how does one get over artist's block anyway?
>> No. 12199
Goddammit Yukari.
>> No. 12200
[] Find somewhere to rest for the night. (Paid accommodations)
>> No. 12202
[X] Find somewhere to rest for the night. (Paid accommodations)

It's just fine to splurge a little if it's in the course of assisting these fine ladies.
>> No. 12203
[X] Find somewhere to rest for the night. (Paid accommodations)
>> No. 12206
[X] Find somewhere to rest for the night. (Paid accommodations)

Aya or Iku? Difficult choice indeed.
>> No. 12208
{X} Find somewhere to rest for the night. (Paid accommodations)
>> No. 12209
[x] Find somewhere to rest for the night. (Camp out)
[x] Look for a clinic for some medicine to relieve nausea.

Paid accomodations? Knowing this guy, we'll probably be getting two, even three separate rooms. And that means no walking in on Aya and Iku hugging in their sleep.
>> No. 12210
[x] Find somewhere to rest for the night. (Paid accommodations)
>> No. 12211
>moedestly
>moe

Typo, or intentional?
>> No. 12213
[X] Find somewhere to rest for the night. (Paid accommodations)

>>12209
Doesn't really matter.
>> No. 12217
>“What in the world am I going to do with you two?”

Threesome? If only we had bought the lingerie...

[] Try to make it up the mountain anyway, once Aya and the newcomer are coherent enough to move.

They will be rested already, I want to meet Big Sis Yukari ASAP.
>> No. 12218
>>12217
Do keep in mind that seemingly from other of Ran's teachings that landlordanon remembers, such would be considered "improper", as the prospect of camping out might also be. Thusly,
[X] Find somewhere to rest for the night. (Paid accommodations)
[X] Look for a clinic for some medicine to relieve nausea.
>> No. 12223
[x] Find somewhere to rest for the night. (Paid accommodations)

hotel pay-per-view porn?
>> No. 12235
>hotel pay-per-view porn?

I love it when anon thinks of the shit I don't.
>> No. 12236
>>12218

People do get out of the nest and have the power to change their moral values.
>> No. 12240
>>12236
But not us. That'd just look inconsistent.
>> No. 12249
Updates?
>> No. 12265
File 12289234959.jpg - (21.45KB , 300x243 , 安佐ー宿.jpg ) [iqdb]
12265
>>12223
>>12235
Didn't expect this one either.
----------
[] Find somewhere to rest for the night. (Paid accommodations)
---------

You emerge from the train irritable, miserable and utterly exhausted, for good reason. The old train’s ancient heating systems didn’t survive the transition back from the boundary between spaces, making the final leg of the journey, a chilly miserable experience. Aya’s resting upon your shoulder was a fairly nice experience at first, though over the long hours, the novelty wore off quickly, as your shoulder began to ache. You step from the train station into the biting wind with obvious relief, bearing the unconscious girl piggy back, though you feel on the verge of frostbite. Aya still a little bleary eyed and more than a little disoriented, follows closely, hand gripping your sleeve as you lead her into the open air.

Aya flinches as the cold wind hits her, whipping at her clothing in a shower of light snowflakes and she lets go of you, jolted back to full alertness. “Wha?” she splutters. “It’s snowing?”

“You didn’t notice?” you ask in surprise. Aya had woken in the final leg of the train ride, though thinking back, you were sure that her eyes did seem a little blank and expressionless. “We entered the mountains an hour back; it’s high enough an elevation for snow here.” You say, looking about the small commercial district, one of many that always seem to spring up about train stations.

“I can see that!” Aya says, moving forward, stepping lightly into the snow, “I should have worn a jacket out. The human realm sure is harsh, back in Gensokyo, just a scarf would be good enough for me.” She continued, though at the edges of her lips, a shadow of a smile forms, as if recalling some pleasant memory for long past.

“Really?” you wonder out loud. “I can’t really tell the difference. I’ve never felt restricted in any way, in either of the realms.”

“Yeah, but the human realm isn’t fun and games for me, you know.” Aya says, voice taking a lecturing tone. “I can’t fly, my limbs feel heavy and I just feel tired all over.” She complains. “How do you humans even live here?”

“Don’t know,” you mutter, “We just do-how do you expect me to answer that one?” Aya merely shrugs, not completely hiding a grin. “You’re human, you should know.”

“The human realm doesn’t seem to affect your appetite though.” You comment dryly, deciding that Aya needs some comeuppance for her cheekiness, earning yourself a hard glare. “And since we’re on the subject on how much you eat, with the amount you consume, you’d probably have enough strength to give me a hand with this girl here.” You say, inclining your head towards the girl you’re carrying.

“But I was hungry after I woke up,” Aya protests, “and I ate only two bento sets!”

“Yeah, yours and mine. Now give me a hand.” You order, lowering the girl off your back and allowing Aya to support some of her weight, while you scan the map of the local area.

“Are you sure that this one is from Gensokyo too?” Aya asks quizzically. “I pretty much know everyone is Gensokyo and I haven’t seen her before.” She peers intently at the girl’s pale face, brushing aside the purplish locks. “You know what? I think she looks just a little like the Lady Yasaka.” Aya confesses. “But it’s only a passing resemblance I guess.”

Lady Yasaka? Another name you’ve seem to have heard somewhere before. Perhaps Yukari mentioned it in passing? After all, many people have arrived in Gensokyo in the years you were absent. But you overlook it for now; there are more immediate matters at hand after all.

“Very sure.” You answer firmly. “Anyway, we’ll need accommodation for the night, and maybe some medication, if you’re still feeling ill.” You continue, looking at Aya speculatively.

“Don’t worry about me! I’m feeling much better.” Aya assures you. “Well, asides from feeling a bit chilly…I guess you’re right, we do need to spend the night here. It’s getting late isn’t it? And really cold… “

“No arguments then? I’ve found the place.” You say, pointing to the location on the map as Aya leans in closer for a look, breath crystallizing in the cold air. “Is it far? I don’t know how to read your maps.” Aya admits, still intent on the sheet of paper.

“Not far at all, it’s just down the street.” You answer, picking up the sleeping girl once more, and start off, Aya in tow.

Your accommodations is a small family run establishment, a small wooden building standing apart from her brickwork neighbors like courtly lady in the midst of somber men, a relic from an older era. Your hosts, an elderly couple, welcome you like a long lost son, even though the last you’ve seen of them was six years prior, and soon, with a minimum of fuss, all of you are properly housed, with Aya and her unconscious companion in the master guest bedroom and you in the smaller, but nonetheless serviceable quarters alongside.

The room is austere, rough looking furniture and bed, of teak, but despite appearances, very well made and maintained, and most importantly, a soft mattress and thick blanket. There’s also a desk provided, along with a small table, but if you do want television, you’ll have to go downstairs to the communal area.

You remember this room well. It’s the only room in the small building that has a western style bed; after all, your hosts had it refurnished, after you confessed your inability to sleep properly on a Japanese style futon on your first trip here. In a way, it’s your room.

There’s a knock on the door, interrupting your reminiscence, but before you can answer, the door swings open, and Aya enters, looking very much better, now that she’s had some time to freshen up. “Let’s go for dinner!” she announces, plopping herself down on your bed, and looking at you expectantly. “They said that there’s a family restaurant just down the road.” She continues.

Haven’t you eaten enough for one day? You wonder.

[] Go for dinner with Aya, she seems to want you to come along.
[] Order a pizza ( or something else you could conceivably find in a dead end mountain town) instead, you don’t feel like leaving.
[] You’ll have to stay; someone needs to look after the sleeping girl, but Aya can go if she wants to.

Once again, feel free to write in sensibly.
>> No. 12266
{X} You’ll have to stay; someone needs to look after the sleeping girl, but Aya can go if she wants to.
{X} Order a pizza ( or something else you could conceivably find in a dead end mountain town) instead.
>> No. 12267
[x] You’ll have to stay; someone needs to look after the sleeping girl, but Aya can go if she wants to.
[x] Order a pizza ( or something else you could conceivably find in a dead end mountain town) instead.

It'll be real fun when Iku wakes back up and wonders what the hell is going on.
>> No. 12268
[x] Order a pizza ( or something else you could conceivably find in a dead end mountain town) instead, you don’t feel like leaving.
[x] Order several
>> No. 12269
[x] You’ll have to stay; someone needs to look after the sleeping girl, but Aya can go if she wants to.
[x] Order a pizza ( or something else you could conceivably find in a dead end mountain town) instead.
>> No. 12270
[X] Go for dinner with Aya, she seems to want you to come along.
[X] Write a note for the girl, explain the situation and where you'll be going.

Aya seems nice, and there really isn't a reason for us not to go.
>> No. 12271
[b] You’ll have to stay; someone needs to look after the sleeping girl, but Aya can go if she wants to.
[b] Order a pizza ( or something else you could conceivably find in a dead end mountain town) instead.
>> No. 12272
[X] You’ll have to stay; someone needs to look after the sleeping girl, but Aya can go if she wants to.
[X] Order a pizza ( or something else you could conceivably find in a dead end mountain town) instead.
This, totally this, the only way and so forth.
>> No. 12273
[X] Go for dinner with Aya, she seems to want you to come along.
[X] Write a note for the girl, explain the situation and where you'll be going.
>> No. 12274
[x] Sure. Tell her to go ahead first; you'll catch up with her in a little bit.
[x] When she leaves, sneak into the bedroom of the unconscious girl and flop on the futon next to her.
[x] When she opens her eyes, stare stright into them and say "Good morning princess, you have fun last night?"

We'll be returning to Gensokyo soon; why not bend our morals just a tad, for a good joke?
>> No. 12277
[x] "I'll have to take a raincheck on that. Someone's got to explain to her what's going on after she comes to."
[x] "Besides, you weren't feeling all that well when we first met either."

There. We're accidently arranging for a dinner date after we get to Gensenkyo, and we don't abandon Iku either. However, second part could use a bit of rephrasing.
>> No. 12280
{X} You’ll have to stay; someone needs to look after the sleeping girl, but Aya can go if she wants to.
{X} Order a pizza ( or something else you could conceivably find in a dead end mountain town) instead.

>[x] look for the mormon bible in the nightstand
>> No. 12281
>>12280
I think you mean "Gideon's Bible".
>> No. 12282
>>12280
>>12281
I didn't know we were on the Ikituski or Gotō Islands.
>> No. 12283
>>12282
...oh, right, Japan.
>> No. 12292
>[x] "I'll have to take a raincheck on that. Someone's got to explain to her what's going on after she comes to."
>[x] "Besides, you weren't feeling all that well when we first met either."
>> No. 12303
[] Order a pizza ( or something else you could conceivably find in a dead end mountain town) instead, you don’t feel like leaving.

>Your hosts, an elderly couple, welcome you like a long lost son, even though the last you’ve seen of them was six years prior

This got to be the best service you can receive.
>> No. 12313
[X] Go for dinner with Aya, she seems to want you to come along.
[X] Write a note for the girl, explain the situation and where you'll be going
>> No. 12324
File 122908687743.jpg - (243.91KB , 500x415 , unrealated at all.jpg ) [iqdb]
12324
>>12303
Ah, gaping plot gap, thanks for pointing it out.

Ah well, was trying to draw something nice, but it didn't turn out the way I envisioned it. I need practice after all.
-------
[] You’ll have to stay; someone needs to look after the sleeping girl, but Aya can go if she wants to.
[] Order a pizza instead

“Thanks for the invitation, but I’ll have to decline.” You reply, taking a seat. “I really wouldn’t mind, but someone has to keep an eye on the sleeping princess next door. We really shouldn’t let her be alone when she wakes up; need to explain the situation and such before she loses her composure after all.”

Losing her composure would be an understatement. If you recalled correctly, a certain Ibis youkai who had been unceremonious dumped into the middle of the ginza subway line reacted so badly that she broke down and starting crying, there and then in the midst of thousands of curious commuters before you could reach her.

”Ah, you’re right.” Aya answers, looking crestfallen but nonetheless seeing the logic behind your reasoning in this matter. “Someone should be at her side when she does wake up. She probably won’t be sleeping of much longer.” She concedes gracefully, leaning back into your mattress with a deep sigh. “But will you be eating anything at all?” she asks finally. “You’ll ask the old folks to prepare something for you, won’t you?”

“I’ll tell them not to bother.” You say flatly, turning to face Aya. “We checked in fairly late in the evening, and I wouldn’t want to trouble them anyway; we’re only staying a night after all.” You explain. “I’ll just be ordering out. I’ll probably get a pizza or something.”

“Pizza?” Aya repeats, obviously unfamiliar with the term.

“Flat bread base, mayonnaise, cheese and other stuff.” You answer absent mindedly, “a bit like an edible platter actually. Don’t worry if you don’t know what it is, Gensokyo has an indecent lack of Western stuff anyway”

“No no,” Aya protests. “I remember seeing something like that once…ah yeah, a few years back at the Scarlet Devil Mansion, Sakuya was serving Remi something like that I think. Looked interesting.”

“I’ll order a larger size if you want some” you offer. But Aya finally declines, after a period of intense consideration. “Ah, no thanks I guess…I think I’ll go take a look at the restaurants around here, they might have something interesting” she says, leaving you with a feeling that she’s going off to do a little “journalism.” A suspicion that is only reinforced by her camera, proudly displayed, hanging around her neck. “Save me a bit, will you?” she says finally, picking herself off your mattress, and opening the door.

“Sure,” you assent, giving your companion a level glance as she leaves the room. “Don’t go too far, and try to come back early.”

Aya merely waves in reply and shuts the door, leaving you alone and able to focus at the task at hand.

The next half hour or so is spent rather pleasantly, by your standards at least, seated with the day’s Sudoku puzzle on a small side table just outside Aya’s shared room, balancing the need to look after the sleeping girl against the less desirable scenario of her waking up in a strange room with a strange man.

With the door left open, you have a fairly good view of the sleeping girl, dozing soundly in the near twilight. Taking a closer look, you realize that her previous flamboyant garb is no where to be seen. At some point, Aya must have helped her into some appropriate sleeping wear; her flamenco dancer-eque attire is probably being washed and ironed; courtesy of your hosts. Despites all efforts to make her comfortable, however, the girl shows no sign of stirring and seems content to sleep away the long hours.

Convinced that all is well, you are about to turn back tot your puzzle when you hear your hostess’s voice, calling to you from downstairs. “Your pizza has arrived, dear!” the elderly woman calls. You immediately get up and make your way to the front door, where the kind old woman is holding it open for you.

”Aiya, you should have told me you were hungry!” she admonishes gently. “I would have made something for you and your lady friend too! Eating too much of this,” she pauses to glare suspiciously at the pizza, “Western junk food isn’t good for you!”

“Aha, sorry Auntie,” you reply, collecting the steaming box. “I didn’t want to bother you with something like this.”

”Hah,” she snorts, and shuts the sliding door.” “At the very least you’ll allow me to make some soup for your other friend?” she says, brooking no argument, giving you the impression that she would have found a way to make soup even if you had physically restrained her. “A nice hot bowl of Auntie’s famous soup. That’s what your sleeping friend needs, it’ll give her energy.” She continues, prompting you to take your leave respectfully before she begins listing all the strange and exotic ingredients she usually adds. “I’ll send three bowls up later!!” she calls finally, as you retreat up the stairs with your meal.

Settling back down at your small table, you open the box and allow the aroma of freshly made food waft over you. It’s been a while since you’ve ordered take out, and as a student, you’ve been inclined to keep most of your meals cheap and simple, despite Yukari’s periodic rent payments.

Just as you silence your internal monologue and reach for a slice, a little mewl of a sound interrupts you.

It’s a little rumbling growl, not unlike what you would have expected from a hungry squirrel, just brushes against your edges of your hearing once more. Ah, it seems that the sleeping princess is finally reacting to external stimulus. Expectantly, you peer into the room, but there’s no sign that the girl has awakened yet. Instead, you find that she has merely rolled over, loose pajamas in disarray, and is now sprawled all over the floor.

”Mmmyes…something smells…nice. “She mumbles softly, blissfully unaware that you’re watching her. “But…Hinanai-sama, I couldn’t possibly eat any more…I have to get back to…dragon palace…”

[] Wake her up. She looks hungry.
If so,
[] gently shake her awake.
[] roll her back onto the futon and wait
[] Hold a piece of pizza just in front of her face, and wait for a reaction.
[] Let her rest. She still looks tired.
-------------------

On an unrelated note, would you guys like a few more details on our protagonist and his impressions of his friends, family and acquaintances? Something like a dossiers section or something.
>> No. 12326
[x] Wake her up. She looks hungry.
[x] Hold a piece of pizza just in front of her face, and wait for a reaction.

>On an unrelated note, would you guys like a few more details on our protagonist and his impressions of his friends, family and acquaintances? Something like a dossiers section or something.

Sure.
>> No. 12327
File 122909404236.jpg - (78.91KB , 455x640 , 1208217865965.jpg ) [iqdb]
12327
>>Ibis youkai

[x] Wake her up. She looks hungry.
[x] Hold a piece of pizza just in front of her face, and wait for a reaction.
>> No. 12328
[X] Wake her up. She looks hungry.
If so,
[X] Let her rest. She still looks tired.


[] Hold a piece of pizza just in front of her face, and wait for a reaction.

>On an unrelated note, would you guys like a few more details on our protagonist and his impressions of his friends, family and acquaintances? Something like a dossiers section or something.

Yeah, why not?
>> No. 12331
[x] Wake her up. She looks hungry.
[x] Hold a piece of pizza just in front of her face, and wait for a reaction.

There's also an asshole part of me that wants to make train noises in front of her.

I also think that we should try doing some shopping after we get up but before breakfast, there was that entire Christmas thing afterall. That, and we might need a few more fluids/snacks for hiking, since there's another person.

Also, I'm wondering if she's still trying to warn people about the earthquake, or if it's already passed or if being hit by a train would make her forget.

Finally, it's interesting in that she's a bit contrasted to Aya in abilities and personality. (Slow-paced vs Fast, Lightning vs Wind, Messenger vs Journalist)
>> No. 12332
"Flat bread base, mayonnaise, cheese"
In what kind of a sick, perverted and twisted world do people put mayonnaise in a pizza? Hard to think of something more awful to add there, what kind of toppings would it even go well with?
Anyways:
[x] Hold a piece of pizza just in front of her face, and wait for a reaction.
>> No. 12333
>>12332
http://www.chachich.com/mdchachi/jpizza.html
Check out the description for "Seafood" and what is not shown on the page.

Furthermore:
http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives/jake_field_guide_to_weird_japanese_pizza.php
>> No. 12334
File 122912437859.jpg - (344.64KB , 480x640 , 22ea0d11d0e01cc2e85ed7118538418d.jpg ) [iqdb]
12334
[!/] Hold a piece of pizza just in front of her face, and wait for a reaction.
>> No. 12335
[x] Jack off onto her sleeping face.
>> No. 12336
[x] Wake her up. She looks hungry.
[x] Hold a piece of pizza just in front of her face, and wait for a reaction.
>> No. 12338
[X] Add your own extra "Mayo" onto her pizza slices
>> No. 12355
>>12335
>>12338
[x] Jerking, mayo, facials, etc.

There will be hope yet! Three votes for shamelessness, like fucking Evangelion.
>> No. 12356
[x] Wake her up. She looks hungry.
[x] Hold a piece of pizza just in front of her face, and wait for a reaction.

Iku~
>> No. 12363
[x] Wake her up. She looks hungry.
[x] Hold a piece of pizza just in front of her face, and wait for a reaction.

GUIZE, WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS IMPROPER

DO NOT JACK OFF NOW.
>> No. 12364
[X] Add your own extra "Mayo" onto her pizza slices
>> No. 12365
>>12355

You'll make Ran very disappointed in you, and set Chen a bad example . Loli catgirls are known to be highly imitative of their onii-sans.


[x] Wake her up. She looks hungry.
[x] Hold a piece of pizza just in front of her face, and wait for a reaction.
>> No. 12368
>>12365

The thought of Chen masturbating onto a sleeping Iku's face only makes my penis harder.
>> No. 12379
These are the kinds of replies that ruin stories.
>> No. 12384
[x] Wake her up. She looks hungry.
[x] Hold a piece of pizza just in front of her face, and wait for a reaction.

Do not want another "Shirou".
>> No. 12395
Curiously, I don't know which I find more offensive: Masturbating on a woman's face while she's sleeping, or the notion that someone puts mayo on their pizza.
>> No. 12398
File 122922759369.jpg - (154.44KB , 464x595 , 1228974819694.jpg ) [iqdb]
12398
Both. >>12395
>> No. 12399
Well now I've got to try mayonnaise on a pizza; might work with bacon and onion.
>> No. 12404
File 122923729886.jpg - (48.82KB , 500x500 , 1229202688748.jpg ) [iqdb]
12404
>> No. 12407
[x] Wake her up. She looks hungry.
[x] Hold a piece of pizza just in front of her face, and wait for a reaction.
>> No. 12440
Updates?
>> No. 12447
I'm collecting and organizing this semester's lecture notes. Need to finish this before I get back to writing and drawing.