[Return]
Archived Thread

File 122751302683.jpg - (108.66KB , 800x1125 , 1824_1.jpg ) [iqdb]
11373 No. 11373
“Let's play a game.”

The scenery is dark. Not just black, or dim, but entirely devoid of light. You reach up to your face to see if there's something covering your eyes, but find your arm sluggish, almost unresponsive, as if asleep.

“You're already aware of the rules. You've done this before, after all—but what fun would it be if all the circumstances were familiar?”

In fact, your entire body feels numb. It's hard to tell if you're sitting or standing. You do have all your limbs, don't you?

“Now, to the goal, every game must have a goal. How about, hm... how about rescuing the princess? Or defeating the overlord?”

What's that voice talking about, anyway? It's somewhere in front of you. A man's voice... probably.

“Well, you'll figure something out.”

Light appears, the featureless, gray walls of the hall glowing faintly. In two rows ahead of where you find yourself standing, shadowed figures line the walls. Something about those figures draws you, and it's only when you unconsciously try to step forward that you realize your legs won't move. The voice calls out again, from somewhere above you.

“But first, who are you?”

That's simple. You're going to rescue a princess... or something, right? Obviously, you're....

[ ] A mighty warrior hero, fearless and strong, as skilled with arms as you are at dealing with dangerous lands. Nothing can keep you down.

[ ] A cunning rogue, clever and quick, both with your hands and your wit. Not a thief though, no sir. You use your skills with the best intentions.

[ ] A holy man, learned and wise, unbreakable of faith and will. By divine benevolence, your faith heals the innocent and strikes evil.

>> No. 11374
[✗] A holy man, learned and wise, unbreakable of faith and will. By divine benevolence, your faith heals the innocent and strikes evil.
>> No. 11375
[x] A holy man, learned and wise, unbreakable of faith and will. By divine benevolence, your faith heals the innocent and strikes evil.

You could have called this.
>> No. 11376
[x] A holy man, learned and wise, unbreakable of faith and will. By divine benevolence, your faith heals the innocent and strikes evil.

Did we ever have a strictly good Anon before?
>> No. 11377
[x] A mighty warrior hero, fearless and strong, as skilled with arms as you are at dealing with dangerous lands. Nothing can keep you down.

Do we have a Gilgamesh yet, MONGRELS?
>> No. 11378
>Did we ever have a strictly good Anon before?

In terms of good and evil, you can choose to be anywhere along this axis, regardless of choice... almost.

And write-ins may influence the decision at all points, so if one wanted to play, say, a paladin...
>> No. 11379
[x] A holy man, learned and wise, unbreakable of faith and will. By divine benevolence, your faith heals the innocent and strikes evil.
>> No. 11380
[X] A disciplined, yet eager young squire. Through will and ambition, you intend to prove yourself and earn a name.

Well, it might be interesting to play as a mildly naive character for a change.
>> No. 11381
{X} A mighty warrior hero, fearless and strong, as skilled with arms as you are at dealing with dangerous lands. Nothing can keep you down.

Holy so boooriinnggguh
>> No. 11382
[x] A holy man, learned and wise, unbreakable of faith and will. By divine benevolence, your faith heals the innocent and strikes evil.
>> No. 11383
[x] A mighty warrior hero, fearless and strong, as skilled with arms as you are at dealing with dangerous lands. Nothing can keep you down.
>> No. 11385
>“But first, who are you?”

[X] I used to check my reflection, jumping with my cheap guitar. I must have lost my direction, 'cause I ended up a superstar.
>> No. 11387
[x] A fearsome dragon. Imposing and ruthless, your brutal strength and searing flames lay waste to everything that dares provoke your wrath. You are the scourge of humanity.

Or a black mage. Can we be a black mage?
>> No. 11388
[x] A professional porn star, who has been in the business so long that walking in a changing room filled with naked women doesn't seem strange to you one bit.... even if you're not in your studio.
>> No. 11389
[x] A holy man, learned and wise, unbreakable of faith and will. By divine benevolence, your faith heals the innocent and strikes evil.

>>11388
shit is stupid

>>11387
shitsux
>> No. 11390
[X] A disciplined, yet eager young squire. Through will and ambition, you intend to prove yourself and earn a name.

Cool.
>> No. 11391
>>11389

The idea up until now was choosing a protagonist that was different from the every day, generic, half-wit. Can't handle the thought of a man completely indifferent to the opposite sex and morals of everyday life?

How about a religious extremist, then? Not this 'holy man' who will most likely be a part of the 'lecherous monk' trend. A quaker, perhaps. Every woman he meets is a filthy whore and he treats them like it. That's got to be an interesting story-line, especially for somewhere like Hakurei shrine.
>> No. 11392
File 122754573217.jpg - (351.06KB , 1600x1197 , Istanbul 2007(3) 102.jpg ) [iqdb]
11392
The thought runs through your mind, RAWR, I'M A DRAGON. Of course, that's silly, you're a squire--or no, that's wrong, too. Memories rushing into your mind. That's right, you'd dreamed of becoming a knight. Self-consciously touching the brown, homespun cloth of your robes, you feel like laughing at those boyhood fantasies. Who doesn't dream of rising so far in life, from humble origins? But you're far from bitter. For an orphan, being raised in a monastery--by men who became your brothers--was more than you could have hoped for. And now that you've grown, you have them to thank for this sense of peace you carry with you. Tapping your walking staff on the ground, your mind turns from thoughts of long hours of study and prayer to thoughts of the hours you spent practicing with it in the yard. Maybe those dreams never did quite leave you, after all.

That voice is talking again. Things are becoming clearer, the air sharper and less fogged, but the figures lining the hall are still in shadow.

"Ah, very good. I'd ask your name, but I'm not the one you need to introduce yourself to, am I? No, no, let the man be known by the company he keeps. Now, to choose your first companion..."

Though you can't see the speaker, it's as if someone gestured to those statue-like figures. Again, your attention is drawn to them, inexorably. As you focus on the first to your left, the face refuses to define itself, but you dredge up from your mind the memories of having known this person--perhaps for years. As you turn to the next figure, thoughts of the first sink back below consciousness, replaced by a new set of memories. You turn again...

[ ] ...to a figure of strength and honor, brave and dutiful in her defense.
[ ] ...to a figure so small, you wouldn't imagine her monstrous energy and strength.
[ ] ...to an explorer of the mysterious, kept alive by always being three steps ahead.
[ ] ...to a holy priestess, your sister in spirit, even if her methods are not yours.
[ ] ...to a martial warrior from a distant land, her fists harder than blades.
[ ] ...to a small girl, curious and swift-footed, with power in the black arts in her blood.
[ ] ...to a young woman of songs and legends, skilled in music, charms, and arms.
[ ] ...to a girl of great magical strength, and few inhibitions in using it.
[ ] ...to a calm warrior, her blades extensions of her iron will.
[ ] ...to a wise magician, unsuited to rough travel, but ever seeking the knowledge it brings.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

You can choose three, but order your choices. You may be able to change your second and third after the first.
>> No. 11393
[X] ...to a small girl, curious and swift-footed, with power in the black arts in her blood.

[X] ...to a martial warrior from a distant land, her fists harder than blades.

[X] ...to an explorer of the mysterious, kept alive by always being three steps ahead.
>> No. 11394
[x] ...to a wise magician, unsuited to rough travel, but ever seeking the knowledge it brings.

[x] ...to a young woman of songs and legends, skilled in music, charms, and arms.

[x] ...to an explorer of the mysterious, kept alive by always being three steps ahead.
>> No. 11395
I take it his holiness won, so we first need someone for the frontlines. Thinking, that I got most of the choices figured out:

[X] ...to a calm warrior, her blades extensions of her iron will.

After that we can bolster our ranks with the remaining classes.

[X] ...to a wise magician, unsuited to rough travel, but ever seeking the knowledge it brings.
[X] ...to a figure so small, you wouldn't imagine her monstrous energy and strength.

Replace my second vote with the first if I was mistaken and we became he warrior.
>> No. 11396
[x] ...to a wise magician, unsuited to rough travel, but ever seeking the knowledge it brings.

[x] ...to a young woman of songs and legends, skilled in music, charms, and arms.

[x] ...to an explorer of the mysterious, kept alive by always being three steps ahead.
>> No. 11397
[X] ...to a figure so small, you wouldn't imagine her monstrous energy and strength.

Sound like a good foil to our protagonist.

[X] ...to a figure of strength and honor, brave and dutiful in her defense.

Always nice to have a defender.

[X] ...to an explorer of the mysterious, kept alive by always being three steps ahead.

I am drawn in by the mystery.
>> No. 11398
[x] ...to a figure so small, you wouldn't imagine her monstrous energy and strength.
[x] ...to a calm warrior, her blades extensions of her iron will.
[x] ...to a young woman of songs and legends, skilled in music, charms, and arms.

Epic team ho!
>> No. 11399
[x] ...to a young woman of songs and legends, skilled in music, charms, and arms.
[x] ...to a figure so small, you wouldn't imagine her monstrous energy and strength.
[x] ...to a calm warrior, her blades extensions of her iron will.
>> No. 11401
[ ] ...to a figure of strength and honor, brave and dutiful in her defense.
Momi~
[ ] ...to a wise magician, unsuited to rough travel, but ever seeking the knowledge it brings.
Patchy~
[ ] ...to a young woman of songs and legends, skilled in music, charms, and arms.
Bard~
>> No. 11402
[x] ...to a figure so small, you wouldn't imagine her monstrous energy and strength.

Fuck three, this is good enough for me.
>> No. 11403
[ ] ...to a martial warrior from a distant land, her fists harder than blades.
[ ] ...to a figure of strength and honor, brave and dutiful in her defense.
[ ] ...to an explorer of the mysterious, kept alive by always being three steps ahead.
>> No. 11405
[X] ...to a figure of strength and honor, brave and dutiful in her defense.
[X] ...to a figure so small, you wouldn't imagine her monstrous energy and strength.
[X] ...to a small girl, curious and swift-footed, with power in the black arts in her blood.


Someone to guard the support, someone to mob, and someone to kill the mob
>> No. 11406
>Calling All Valiant Explorers
>CAVE

Ah, this will be interessing.
>> No. 11407
>>11406
Needs a D on the end.
>CAVED
>> No. 11408
[X] ...to a martial warrior from a distant land, her fists harder than blades.
[X] ...to a small girl, curious and swift-footed, with power in the black arts in her blood.
[X] ...to a wise magician, unsuited to rough travel, but ever seeking the knowledge it brings.
>> No. 11409
>>11407

I don't think Keine would go to the underground.
>> No. 11414
[x] ...to a figure of strength and honor, brave and dutiful in her defense.
[x] ...to a martial warrior from a distant land, her fists harder than blades.
[x] ...to a small girl, curious and swift-footed, with power in the black arts in her blood.

WHERE IS THE AYA OPTION
>> No. 11415
>That's right, you'd dreamed of becoming a knight.

So, like, this anon is a crusader? Uh, I thought he would be a priest, you know, with the 'heal' and stuff.
>> No. 11416
>>11414

Aya would be
[ ] ...to an explorer of the mysterious, kept alive by always being three steps ahead.

I think... 3 and 6 are the only ones I'm not 100% sure on for who they are

>>11415

After that, we wound up being raised by monks and we carry a staff. We're a cleric.
>> No. 11417
>>11416
changin' mah vote

[x] ...to a figure of strength and honor, brave and dutiful in her defense.
[x] ...to a martial warrior from a distant land, her fists harder than blades.
[ ] ...to an explorer of the mysterious, kept alive by always being three steps ahead.

Needs more Tengu.
>> No. 11419
>>11407
Caving All of Various Explorers to Death is a different adventure, though very similar.

>>11395
About three parts A to one part B. There may be other choices that naturally meld when close, as well.

Update incoming.
>> No. 11420
File 122757729658.jpg - (300.16KB , 748x748 , 1405832.jpg ) [iqdb]
11420
You reach out to the closest figure. That ready poise, that blade and shield, you know them well. The hall twists in your vision, vanishing, to be replaced with...


“Brother, this is our most recent guest... Momizi. As the guest house is otherwise empty today, would you look after her?”

You nod. Taking care of travelers is one of the more basic chores you perform regularly, so this is nothing strange. What is unusual is the young girl standing in front of you. She looks to be around your age, so she should be in her mid-teens—shorter than you, for certain. Yet her hair is white, contrasting against those eyes. Hadn't some of the other brothers mentioned a disease like this, at some point? And her traveling clothes, could she be a runaway? Whatever the case, her expression shows an unease, as if she feels entirely out of place now that you're alone together. May as well put at her ease, since you already know her name.

“You can call me...”


You're practicing in the yard behind the garden, as you do every second and fifth day before the evening meal and after checking the fences and the watering trench. After warming up your body, your staff describes a series of swirling motions in the air before striking the ground solidly. You back up and block imagined blows from either side, following up with a spin of your body with staff held out, continuing into an overhead spin and an angled downward strike, stirring up the dust over the bare earth.

Suddenly aware that you'd heard footsteps a moment ago, you leave the staff on the ground and stand up quickly, trying to look like you weren't just playing games. But rather than a monk or even one of the other novices, you see that girl again. When you'd last left her, she'd said she'd be fine sitting in the guest house until the meal was ready, after being shown around to every corner of the monastery's grounds. Yet here she is, looking at you curiously. And at the staff on the ground, slightly too conspicuous to just be a stick.

She walks around you and picks up a second staff—or rather, a long stick that could almost function as well as one. You'd left it there after deciding another would be more worthwhile to carve down.

She lowers her stance, and narrows her eyes, staring straight at you.

[ ] What is this? Does she expect the two of you to fight? You're a monk, not a barbarian. There's no reason for you to beat on her slender, feminine form—hold on, deep breaths. There's no reason for a monk to pick fights with guests.

[ ] This is obviously a challenge, and of course you'll accept. Would you practice like this if it were only for fun? (Or... is it only for fun?) Snatch up your staff immediately, and get your guard up!

[ ] This is obviously a challenge, but she doesn't realize her weapon will break after you hit it a few times. Better to toss your staff to her, and take hers, rather than spar so unevenly.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Don't forget to choose what to ask her to call you.
>> No. 11422
[ ] I'm afraid you are mistaken, Miss Momizi. I was only entertaining myself--I have no real skill with the staff. I apologize if I disturbed you. *bow deeply*
>> No. 11425
[X] This is obviously a challenge, but she doesn't realize her weapon will break after you hit it a few times. Better to toss your staff to her, and take hers, rather than spar so unevenly.

[X] Brother.

This has nothing to do with the fact that I've just pictured a blushing Momizi in my arms, tenderly whispering "brother," and our status as a holy man gives us a perfect excuse for her to call us that.
>> No. 11429
[x] This is obviously a challenge, and of course you'll accept. Would you practice like this if it were only for fun? (Or... is it only for fun?) Snatch up your staff immediately, and get your guard up!
[x] Josh

Let's stroke a certain someone's ego
>> No. 11430
[x] This is obviously a challenge, and of course you'll accept. Would you practice like this if it were only for fun? (Or... is it only for fun?) Snatch up your staff immediately, and get your guard up!
[x] Brother

Changing vote.
>> No. 11431
[X] This is obviously a challenge, but she doesn't realize her weapon will break after you hit it a few times. Better to toss your staff to her, and take hers, rather than spar so unevenly.

[X] Brother.
>> No. 11432
[x] This is obviously a challenge, and of course you'll accept. Would you practice like this if it were only for fun? (Or... is it only for fun?) Snatch up your staff immediately, and get your guard up!
[x] Brother
>> No. 11433
>>11378

>so if someone wanted to play, say, a paladin...

http://www.touhouproject.com/others/res/10500.html

Got it covered~

induringselfpromotion
>> No. 11434
>>11429
[x] This is obviously a challenge, and of course you'll accept. Would you practice like this if it were only for fun? (Or... is it only for fun?) Snatch up your staff immediately, and get your guard up!
[x] Brand

Hooray.
>> No. 11438
[x] This is obviously a challenge, and of course you'll accept. Would you practice like this if it were only for fun? (Or... is it only for fun?) Snatch up your staff immediately, and get your guard up!
[x] Brother
>> No. 11439
[x] This is obviously a challenge, and of course you'll accept. Would you practice like this if it were only for fun? (Or... is it only for fun?) Snatch up your staff immediately, and get your guard up!
[x] Brother

Okay.
>> No. 11443
[ ] This is obviously a challenge, but she doesn't realize her weapon will break after you hit it a few times. Better to toss your staff to her, and take hers, rather than spar so unevenly.
[ ] Brother
>> No. 11446
File 122759070626.jpg - (59.27KB , 327x914 , bba96fa1d9c4803f88bdfa6bcca1b5.jpg ) [iqdb]
11446
A challenge, then? Some sparring certainly couldn't hurt, and she looks ready enough.

Your staff is no sooner in your hands than she's leaping forward to attack. You hastily block her downward stroke, then fend off a second blow from below, and a third from the right that launched off your last parry. The impacts are less than you expected. Is it just that she's not as strong as she is fast? As you try to move to the offensive, stepping inside her defense and using a wider grip to more easily strike with both ends, a stinging blow to your fingers causes you to reconsider that last judgement.

Half a minute later, you're forced to admit she's better than you. Neither of you have said a word, you because you don't have the breath to speak, and her because—well, maybe she's in the same situation. You're not that weak, your reach is better than hers, and her weapon would've already broken if she hadn't held back every time you blocked. You'd think this a bit unfair were it not for how hard she's pressed you. And there's no time for thinking too deeply on that, not when her foot is coming down at just the wrong angle in the disturbed dirt, and she has to look down to regain her balance—an opening!

You come around in a long, whistling arc, aiming not for her, but to push her staff farther out of position. Her hands come up in a solid block faster than you'd thought, but the moment's distraction leaves her too slow to angle away the blow, and as her weapon takes the full force of your swing directly, it shatters.

You're breathing heavily from this uncommon level of exertion, and the adrenaline still flowing through you from the ordeal. Still, you can hear her own uneven breathing as she slowly falls to her hands and knees. After a few moments that you spend leaning heavily on your staff, palms slick with sweat, she sits back on her heels, and looks at you, mouth closed, eyes wide open.

Tossing the staff off to one side, you take a step toward her. Just self-conscious enough to notice, you wipe your right hand over your left arm as you extend it toward her. She takes your hand with a smile.

“Thank you, brother.”
>> No. 11447
File 122759151872.jpg - (28.76KB , 333x450 , Stone-slab.jpg ) [iqdb]
11447
You come back to yourself, memories fading back into the past—as they should, even if that past had felt very much like the present just a moment ago... hadn't it?

Your attention turns automatically to the remaining figures. You reach out...

[ ] ...to the barbaric monster.
[ ] ...to the unstoppable rogue.
[ ] ...to the cursed child.
[ ] ...to the dancing songstress.
[ ] ...to the sickly magician.
[ ] ...to the wandering fist fighter.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Pick two. Again, ordered. The previous votes are partially counted into it, not lost.
>> No. 11449
[x] ...to the barbaric monster.
[x] ...to the unstoppable rogue.

One of these sounds like Youkai Moe~
>> No. 11450
[X] ...to the barbaric monster.

Still think she sounds like a good foil.

[X] ...to the unstoppable rogue.

Still think she sounds awesome.
>> No. 11452
File 122759190845.jpg - (289.33KB , 650x650 , 752d7f1cd93f705be9b22fa0cf410af8.jpg ) [iqdb]
11452
[!/] ...to the wandering fist fighter.

Never gets enough love.
>> No. 11453
[ ] ...to the wandering fist fighter.
[ ] ...to the sickly magician.
>> No. 11456
[x] ...to the sickly magician.
Every party needs a wizard.
[x] ...to the wandering fist fighter.
>> No. 11460
[x] ...to the wandering fist fighter.
[x] ...to the sickly magician.

Three melee fighters and a wizard? Sounds like a good party.
>> No. 11461
>>11452
Hmmmmmmmm, okay.

[X] ...to the wandering fist fighter.
[X] ...to the unstoppable rogue.
>> No. 11462
>Every party needs a wizard.
[x] ...to the sickly magician.
and
[x] ...to the cursed child.
because it's HINA!
>> No. 11465
[x] ...to the barbaric monster.
[x] ...to the unstoppable rogue.
>> No. 11472
[X] ...to the barbaric monster.
[X] ...to the unstoppable rogue.

Aya and Momizi always go well together, and then bringing along Suika never hurts
>> No. 11475
>>11462

What Kirin said.

[X] Same votes.
>> No. 11478
[ ] ...to the unstoppable rogue.
[ ] ...to the cursed child.
Flandre~
>> No. 11479
[X] ...to the dancing songstress.
[X] ...to the barbaric monster.

A distinct lack of Mystia is present in these previous votes.
>> No. 11485
[X] ...to the sickly magician.
[X] ...to the barbaric monster.
>> No. 11486
[x] ... to the sickly magician.
[X] ...to the unstoppable rogue.

Needs wizard needs thief. Goddamn have none of you read Records of the Lodoss War?
>> No. 11488
File 122764245987.jpg - (276.67KB , 600x800 , 121048207135.jpg ) [iqdb]
11488
You waver uncertainly, until your eyes spot the book in her hands. The shadow seeps away from it, and the worn cover fills your vision...


“Brother, what's that?”

You look up, the sun in your eyes. Still clutching the book in one arm, you raise the other to shield your sight, getting a clearer look at Momizi, seeing for a moment both her current self and how she was when you first met her. She's grown in those few years, though not nearly as much as you have. And just like always, she'd assented the moment you asked her to come, leaving her work in the village to help you search the road into the valley. You'd heard rumors, told from wives to husbands to fellow workers, that her... strange features were signs of a demon-child, but you know better, even if you've still never gotten her to explain where she came from, or where she learned to fight. But for her, it might be hard... is that why she always goes along with you?

The sight of the sword at her hip reminds you of your present situation. The abbot had asked you to check the road for any travelers in trouble, after the last peddler had mentioned banditry. You hadn't found anyone, and then there was this book laying just off the path. There's no way someone would drop something so valuable without meaning to.

“If it dropped here... this way,” you say, turning off the path into the forest. Momizi nods, following you, treading more lightly than you've ever managed. Never could figure out where she learned that, either.
>> No. 11489
File 122764256152.jpg - (75.59KB , 450x550 , 1190422637967.jpg ) [iqdb]
11489
It doesn't take too long before you see her. A young woman in dark-hued traveling clothes, sitting on the ground, slumped against a tree. The top flap of her traveling pack is half-torn, and the cloth hat she wears is tilted over to shadow her face, so you can't tell if her eyes are open or shut. With the way her arms lay limp along the ground, you'd guess the latter. Likewise, that long hair, tinted similarly to her clothes, is in disarray—though that's more common than not, with most travelers. Rather, it's strange for a woman like her—and now you notice her clothes are of finer quality than anything you see people actually wearing—to be traveling alone. The trail here was easy to follow because it seemed like many people had walked this way, not caring for what broke along the way, but here's just her.

Is that blood on the ground?

[ ] The first priority is her safe-being. See if she's injured, and offer her healing. You can surely remember how to work such miracles when it really matters—you have to.

[ ] She needs more help than you can offer, and it may not be safe to stay around. Take her back to the monastery, where you know she can be healed if she needs it.

[ ] This isn't right. There must be danger nearby. Circle and check the surroundings first, then see to the traveler when it's safe.
>> No. 11493
[x] She needs more help than you can offer, and it may not be safe to stay around. Take her back to the monastery, where you know she can be healed if she needs it.
>> No. 11494
{X} She needs more help than you can offer, and it may not be safe to stay around. Take her back to the monastery, where you know she can be healed if she needs it.
>> No. 11496
[x] She needs more help than you can offer, and it may not be safe to stay around. Take her back to the monastery, where you know she can be healed if she needs it.
>> No. 11508
[ ] The first priority is her safe-being. See if she's injured, and offer her healing. You can surely remember how to work such miracles when it really matters—you have to.

Geez guys, we're talking about Patchouli here. She will die before we reach the monastery where we will ressurect her to avoid a time paradox
>> No. 11510
[x] The first priority is her safe-being. See if she's injured, and offer her healing. You can surely remember how to work such miracles when it really matters—you have to.
>> No. 11511
[x] The first priority is her safe-being. See if she's injured, and offer her healing. You can surely remember how to work such miracles when it really matters—you have to.
>> No. 11512
>>11508
>Geez guys, we're talking about Patchouli here. She will die before we reach the monastery

I figured it was just her regular sickness acting up, and there's not a whole hell of a lot we can do about that other than give her somewhere to rest.
>> No. 11513
[x] The first priority is her safe-being. See if she's injured, and offer her healing. You can surely remember how to work such miracles when it really matters—you have to.

You really shouldn't be moving an injured body anyways.
>> No. 11514
[x] The first priority is her safe-being. See if she's injured, and offer her healing. You can surely remember how to work such miracles when it really matters—you have to.
>> No. 11517
[ ] This isn't right. There must be danger nearby. Circle and check the surroundings first, then see to the traveler when it's safe.

Isn't gonna win, but this whole setting stinks to high heaven of a setup. She was too easy to find, and if she had really been attacked on the path, why would she still be alive? It's unlikely that she managed to get this far herself if she had been attacked and dispatched the attackers. The mention of multiple people coming this way also makes it seem strange. IF patchouli had fought back, there'd be signs of the fight. Especially since she's a mage. There'd be burned, frozen, electrified things. Even if she was taken by surprise, why leave her alive unless to use her as bait?
Most likely it will be that merchant who mentioned it in the first place.
>> No. 11520
[x] The first priority is her safe-being. See if she's injured, and offer her healing. You can surely remember how to work such miracles when it really matters—you have to.
[x]Tell Momizi to keep an eye out while you work.

If anything does come along I imagine she'd deal with it better than we could.
>> No. 11521
File 122766131643.jpg - (264.39KB , 900x640 , cf3ece7ba839dbbdd601e85cb979d454.jpg ) [iqdb]
11521
Wasting no time, you hurry forward to kneel down by the traveler, lifting up her cap to look into her pale face and closed eyes. Though the dark of the clothing hide it, you can now see a small, darker stain on her sleeve, and the cloth is damp. She doesn't stir at that touch, and your fingertips come back with a thin coating of blood. Behind you, Momizi hasn't said anything, but you can see her moving at the corner of your vision, circling the area with her sword drawn.

Peeling back the cloth is difficult, but you're not so sure you can do this without actually seeing the wound. A knife's work, stabbing. You stare a moment at the source of the bleeding, mind turning back over things you'd heard before... a disease that prevents blood from clotting? ...but you're not sure how long it's been, either. No matter. What's important is that this woman is too weak to afford the blood loss, but you can save her. Preparing, you clear your mind.

There is no thought of failure in your mind.

Every fear is removed by the force of your will.

Fear denies faith.

Faith is all you have.

Your hands lower, a soft glow suffusing the area of your work. As your lips silently form the words, slowly exhaling, your fingers touch the wound. The blood retreats, the stabbed flesh mends, and the pale color warms, a faint blush passing quickly over her body as new blood flows. You can't turn back time, but a miracle like this is enough.

With first a lethargic indifference, and then surprise, her eyes open.
>> No. 11522
>>11521
[X]"Do not thank me, young lass. Praise the goddess Selune for her aid."
I know we're not a bard. But it's too good to pass up.
>> No. 11523
File 122766216017.jpg - (256.86KB , 1024x768 , cave_flowstone_l.jpg ) [iqdb]
11523
You draw back. The emotions you felt a moment ago swirl and fade, but only enough to let you concentrate on your surroundings. There was a hall here, filled with people, or statues... wasn't there? Now there's only a rough cave, and three figures remain. Some silent force goads you to step forward, to take the last step. Conflicting memories assault you, and you focus on...

[ ] ...a violent brawl, faces and blood being ground into dirt.

[ ] ...deep caverns, torchlight flickering over ancient gates.

[ ] ...a bustling tavern, full of laughter, drink, and fear.
>> No. 11524
>>11522
Will be taken into consideration.

But on to the matter at hand.
>> No. 11525
[ ] ...deep caverns, torchlight flickering over ancient gates.

just sounds cool
>> No. 11526
[x] ...a bustling tavern, full of laughter, drink, and fear.
>> No. 11527
[X] ...a bustling tavern, full of laughter, drink, and fear.
>> No. 11528
[x] ...a bustling tavern, full of laughter, drink, and fear.
>> No. 11529
[x] ...a bustling tavern, full of laughter, drink, and fear.
>> No. 11530
[ ] ...deep caverns, torchlight flickering over ancient gates.

DUNGEON CRAWL UP IN THIS SHIT.
>> No. 11531
[X] ...a violent brawl, faces and blood being ground into dirt.

Brawl.
>> No. 11532
[X] ...deep caverns, torchlight flickering over ancient gates.
>> No. 11533
[x] ...a violent brawl, faces and blood being ground into dirt.

BAR FIGHT
>> No. 11534
...a violent brawl, faces and blood being ground into dirt.
>> No. 11535
>>11522
"In the name of Sigmar, I have saved ye witch! Come forth and lend his holy servant to aid!"
>> No. 11536
[ ] ...deep caverns, torchlight flickering over ancient gates.

IS THIS AYA OPTION? THIS HAS TO BE AYA OPTION.

AYA OPTION IS SUPERIOR.
>> No. 11538
[x] ...your one night stand with one of the many female guests at your monastery. Your brothers would have never approved, and that excitement is what made it so freakin' hot.
>> No. 11543
[x] Meiling option
>> No. 11544
[x] ...a bustling tavern, full of laughter, drink, and fear.
>> No. 11546
[x] ...a bustling tavern, full of laughter, drink, and fear.
>> No. 11548
>>11538

You're doing it wrong.
>> No. 11549
Calling it. Will update tomorrow.
>> No. 11555
A tavern.

How quaint.
>> No. 11568
File 122772079938.jpg - (240.37KB , 662x662 , 32524dc18f59ea878f90905aceee0a65.jpg ) [iqdb]
11568
One year. That's how long you've been on the road, today. It wasn't that you no longer had a place at the monastery, or the village of your birth. It was just that you had the power to... you're not really sure. Was it to help people, to right wrongs and put down evil? Or was it merely to make something more of yourself? Whichever it was, the more you listened to Patchouli, the more you wanted to see the world she'd seen, the places she'd written about.

Your thoughts turn back to Patchouli. After saving her there in the forest, she came back with you, saying something about wanting to meet the abbot. She had you explain in as much detail as you could dredge up exactly how you helped her, which wasn't much. Maybe she hadn't met people with that kind of ability before. And after she talked to the abbot, just once, you saw her again and again, listening and writing, or sitting and reading. Over the year she stayed in the village, up until the day the three of you left, she must have read every book that came through the valley more than once.

But listening to her speak, you wouldn't think she'd need to. Everything she read she remembered, and after the day you came and talked to her in the small room that served as your library, she'd contentedly tell you anything you could think to ask. You learned of cities that filled valleys and mountains, chasms that stretched between kingdoms, and water that stretched for weeks by sail. You also learned of the existence of monsters and horrors, demons and spirits, and that she was a magician. You also learned, though she did not tell you outright, that her health had always been poor. Her magic had no way of solving this.

And so it was slightly surprising when she came to join you as you set out with your few belongings. On the other hand, it did make good sense, if she was still set on traveling throughout her life.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Forgot to work this into the previous update: How do you introduce yourself to the traveler? No, she will not call you only by your title.

[ ] __________

Second part of this update coming up in a few hours. Have to go.

>>11555
gb2beingeatenbydemontrees
>> No. 11569
>>11568

[x] Thomas
>> No. 11570
[x] Thomas
>> No. 11571
So, we'll be sort of traveling from place to place for the sake of traveling?

[ ] Brother Aku

Aku being the surname, of course.
What, you want a given name, too?
Fine.

[ ] Brother Karou Aku
>> No. 11572
[X] Brother Judas

Hey, it's better than Thomas.
>> No. 11573
[X] Brother Judas

Okay.
>> No. 11574
[X] Brother Faramond

Faramond from two separate words, meaning journey and protection respectively. Because that's what we seem to do: offer protection while on journeys. Mind, it's metaphysical protection really, but...
>> No. 11575
[X] Brother Judas

Chronic Backstabbing Disorder, here we come.
>> No. 11576
[x] Brother Judas
>> No. 11578
[x] Brother Bob

(I'm sorry, I just couldn't stop laughing when this name came to mind; I had to post it)
>> No. 11579
File 122772798127.jpg - (110.07KB , 600x700 , 2cb4afbc38a6269bf89f297011b8b720.jpg ) [iqdb]
11579
The tavern is filled with people and noise. Unable to leave, and having no reason to stay, the merchants, pilgrims, and mercenaries have turned to drinking and gambling, drowning or singing away their troubles. You’d only just arrived when you learned that while the southern entrance had become home to a company of highwaymen, the northern had been blocked by what people would only say was a demon. It was only by chance that you made it here unmolested, and now here you are, unable to leave without facing either an undefined (but reportedly deadly) beast or what may as well be an army, to three lone travelers.

But if it’s a demon, you may be able to do something about it. Patchouli would only say, “I’d like to confirm what creature they refer to.” And Momizi just nodded with an expression of fierce determination. If neither of them feel troubled…

But rushing out immediately wouldn’t do any good. The two of them are arranging lodging (no trivial task in these circumstances) while you spend what would otherwise be wasted time trying to find someone to help you break through the northern pass. Unfortunately, every man you speak to brushes off even the idea of trying to face a man-eating monster.

And then, you find yourself facing a remarkably unusual sight. A small girl with long red hair, tied together near the end, with curved horns over her head. It would be easy to believe them part of an ornate helm, but a closer look quickly rejects that possibility. She must have heard you speaking to the man next to her, because she’s already looking at you and grinning. By the time you notice, you’ve already been drawn to sit near her, and she raises up a pair of mugs of uncertain contents.

“I might help you out, mister. But first, how about a few drinks?”

[ ] If she says she can, then drinking with her is a small price to pay. Lift that mug and drain it.

[ ] No, you’d rather not. She might be able to help you or she might just be putting herself into danger she doesn’t understand, but in either case, this is something you can and should handle on your own.

[ ] This is the time for action, not becoming so inebriated you can’t see straight. You can’t fight if you can’t concentrate. Try to convince her of this.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Leaving name voting open until next update.
>> No. 11580
[ ] No, you’d rather not. She might be able to help you or she might just be putting herself into danger she doesn’t understand, but in either case, this is something you can and should handle on your own.
>> No. 11581
[x] If she says she can, then drinking with her is a small price to pay. Lift that mug and drain it.

Let's get shitfaced!
>> No. 11582
[X] Do not drink because you are a man of faith.

Lawful route.

[X] Brother Eto

We will help some war refugees, help a future hero save a princess, have said princess fall for us for no apparent reason and later marry her and become king of churchland.
This plan cannot fail.
>> No. 11583
[X] If she says she can, then drinking with her is a small price to pay. Lift that mug and drain it.

Fuck yeah, Suika!
>> No. 11584
[x] "I am willing to pay for your liquor, however as a man of faith - and little money - I must respectfully decline drinking with you".
[x] "Are you sure you can help us? It seems very dangerous".
>> No. 11585
[x] "I am willing to pay for your liquor, however as a man of faith - and little money - I must respectfully decline drinking with you".
[x] "Are you sure you can help us? It seems very dangerous".
>> No. 11586
[x] If she says she can, then drinking with her is a small price to pay. Lift that mug and drain it.
>> No. 11587
[x] If she says she can, then drinking with her is a small price to pay. Lift that mug and drain it.
[x] Brother Judas

Eh.
>> No. 11594
[x] "I am willing to pay for your liquor, however as a man of faith - and little money - I must respectfully decline drinking with you".

[ ] Brother Judas Escargo. 'Cargie' for short. not that anyone ever calls you that.
>> No. 11595
[x] If she says she can, then drinking with her is a small price to pay. Lift that mug and drain it.
>> No. 11597
[x] "I am willing to pay for your liquor, however as a man of faith - and little money - I must respectfully decline drinking with you".


[x] Brother Judas
>> No. 11598
You're doing it wrong, guys. You don't impress oni by not drinking. That means you're not awesome.
>> No. 11599
[x] If she says she can, then drinking with her is a small price to pay. Lift that mug and drain it.

Boring write-in is boring
>> No. 11600
>>11598

Oh, wait, we're trying to impress her? Our protagonist just met her, unknowing that she is an oni; "impressing" a little girl and encouraging her to drink, what kind of holy man are we?

No, no priest jokes, seriously.
>> No. 11602
>>11600

He noticed she has horns on her head. She's in a tavern. She's considering helping us out.

If he hasn't considered that she's an oni yet, he should be well aware that she isn't human.
>> No. 11604
>>11602

Or he could just think she's some kid messing around. The water could be bad, if we were to base this around medieval times...

EDIT: No, wait, that's wine. FFFFFF, nevermind.

You know what, fuck my logic. Perhaps I'm thinking too realistically.
>> No. 11617
[x] If she says she can, then drinking with her is a small price to pay. Lift that mug and drain it.
[x] Brother Judas
>> No. 11619
[x] "I am willing to pay for your liquor, however as a man of faith - and little money - I must respectfully decline drinking with you".
>> No. 11620
[x] "I am willing to pay for your liquor, however as a man of faith - and little money - I must respectfully decline drinking with you".
[x] Brother Awesome.
>> No. 11621
[x] Brother Thomas
>> No. 11622
[X] If she says she can, then drinking with her is a small price to pay. Lift that mug and drain it.
>> No. 11624
Maybe he's named Judas on the "Name a boy Sue" principle.
>> No. 11627
[ ] Judas Priest.
>> No. 11628
File 122776829959.jpg - (477.75KB , 1024x768 , 120966088670.jpg ) [iqdb]
11628
It's not as if you've never had a drink before. Beer is safer than water, after all.

Taking ahold of the mug, "Alright. Ah... this is yours, isn't it?"

"And I'm giving it you. Go on, drink! Bottoms up!" comes the cheerful reply.

You lift the mug to your lips. It's odd. This looks like water, and smells faintly sweet. It isn't beer at all, and it couldn't be wine or mead. The taste has a smooth, barely noticeable burn. As you set the mug down, you notice the girl's done the same, except hers seems to be entirely empty rather than halfway.

"What's that, haven't finished it yet? Come on, come on!" A bit uneasy by not knowing what you're drinking, you reluctantly lift the mug again. If she's been drinking these at such a rate, one should be more than fine fine for you.

"Hey, what's your name, mister?"

"I'm..." You pause to swallow. "Brother Judas."

"Ohh, a brother, huh? To who?"

"Why, to... everyone. All of humankind is ultimately one family." How'd your mug get filled again? The barkeep isn't even on this side of the room. And wait, that wasn't the right answer. Or maybe it was the wrong question.

"That'd be a big family--what about the non-humans, though? Think they're all big families like that?"

"N-non... I don't know, I'd suppose that--" You set down your mug a third time.

"Oh, 'n I'm Suika. Suika Ibuki!" She shakes your hand with both of hers before pressing the mug back into your grasp.

"Pleased to meet you." You realize you're trying not to slur, and put the mug down again.


A groan. Probably yours. Your eyes open, and your throat cries out for water. Your voice would, too, were it working properly. Ahead of you, a shape resolves into Momizi. She's sitting in a chair, while you're laying in a bed. She looks... embarrassed, with her eyes downcast like that, and you have a couple suspicions as to why. Not being able to remember what happened, you can't be certain. And not being able to remember how you got to bed, it's probably you.

May as well get this over with. You sit up.


Outside the city, the horned girl waited for you. When you arrived, she stepped out into the road and laughed at you. Then you went on, together, to where the demon waited.
>> No. 11629
File 122777006745.jpg - (8.03KB , 800x600 , dark.jpg.jpg ) [iqdb]
11629
Collapsing light, and the brief sensation of falling. An uncushioned landing on broken rock is followed immediately by moderately tolerable levels of pain. But more importantly, you can't see anything.

[ ] Call out to _______

[ ] ___________________

[ ] ___________________
>> No. 11630
[X] Call out to Suika

Tasukette Suika!
>> No. 11632
>>11631
As if this were our first sudden shift of perspective.
>> No. 11633
[x] Call out to Momizi.
[x] "Fend it off! I need to regain my composure!"
[x] Use a heal on yourself. Use one on Momizi if she gets hurt.

Alright, give us some more powers. We're a holy man, right? No summoning of angels or the fist of God or some shit like that? Any 'Send thee back to oblivion, fiend' magic?
>> No. 11634
[x] Call out to Momizi.
>> No. 11635
[x] Call out to Momizi.
[x] "Fend it off! I need to regain my composure!"
[x] Use a heal on yourself. Use one on Momizi if she gets hurt.
>> No. 11636
>>11633

[ ] Status ([character])

[ ] Inventory

[ ] History
>> No. 11638
>>11636

[x] Status (You, Momizi, Suika, Patchouli)
[x] Inventory
[x] History

Unless our history has spells we can use, there's no real need for it; never hurts to try, though.
>> No. 11640
[x] Status (You, Momizi, Suika, Patchouli)
[x] Inventory
[x] History

Still going to go with my previous vote no matter what though, unless something really screwed up is revealed
>> No. 11641
File 12277736895.gif - (1.76KB , 90x125 , bishop-chess2.gif ) [iqdb]
11641
Your gaze draws inward...

Brother Judas
Health: Good, stable
Reserves: Full
Skills: Quarterstaff, No Armor, Healing
Spells:
Divine Healing (moderate health recovery)
Flash of Light (low lightning damage, improved critical)
Binding Circle (immobilizes, high defense bonus)

Momizi ???

Patchouli ???

Suika ???

Inventory:
Quarterstaff
Traveling robe
Traveling pack - ???

History
-6 Years: Momizi respectfully joined the party.
-3 Years: Patchouli joined the party, with fascination.
-1 Year: Suika joined the party out of amusement.
???
>> No. 11644
>>11641

A year after meeting Suika, so another large time jump and that demon is long done with so the situation might be something entirely different. So calling out for Momi to fend it off won't do much.

With that out of the way.

[x] Call out to Suika
[x] Prepare Divine Healing for yourself
>> No. 11645
[x] Call out to Momizi.
[x] "Fend it off! I need to regain my composure!"
[x] Use a heal on yourself. Use one on Momizi if she gets hurt.
>> No. 11647
>>11644
could it be we fell into a hole while on our way to the demon?


[x] Call out to Suika
[x] Prepare Divine Healing for yourself
>> No. 11648
>>11647

Nope, we were heading to fight the demon when we met up with Suika and now a year has passed. Unless we somehow spent a year trying to fight that demon, not the same.
>> No. 11649
>Flash of Light (low lightning damage, improved critical)
>Binding Circle (immobilizes, high defense bonus)

Nice combo.

Shit, we're probably just dreaming. The first person we call out to may get us some relationship points with them. Hm; either way, Momizi still seems like the best choice.
>> No. 11651
[x] Call out to Momizi.
[s] Inquire as to what the bleeding fuck is going on.
[x] Open your eyes.
>> No. 11656
[x] Call out to Momizi.

brave & dutiful = Momizi (1)
small & monstrous = Suika (3)
explorer/rogue = Aya
holy priestess = Sanae
martial fistfighter = Meiling
black arts/cursed child = Rumia
songs & legends = Mystia
magical strength = Marisa
calm warrior = Youmu
wise magician = Patchouli (2)

Right?
>> No. 11659
>>11656
>black arts/cursed child = Rumia
>Rumia

Do you mean Hina?
>> No. 11660
>>11659
I figured it was Chen since her ability is "Black magical arts".
>> No. 11662
>>11660

Yeah, it was Chen. Crue was disappointed he couldn't do Chen since he was looking forward to writing his interpretation of her.
>> No. 11663
[x] Call out to Suika
[x] Prepare Divine Healing for yourself

Suika~
>> No. 11667
File 122782445020.png - (232.99KB , 500x500 , 06c7ec8cf39efaa766e6743f017273f9.png ) [iqdb]
11667
"Momizi!"

"Here, brother!" the voice calls back from nearby, to your left.

"Hey, where'd the lights go?" That'd be Suika, some way behind you. There's a cough from the other side, followed by several more.

A spark appears, brilliant in this complete darkness, and you shield your eyes as Momizi holds a torch aloft. Suika is lifting Patchouli to her feet, and you've half-collapsed against a pile of rubble. A momentary breeze stirs. The ceiling here is high, and stone walls surround you where the piles of fallen rocks do not.

"Where do we go now?" Momizi asks.

"There's gotta be a cave out past here." Suika points at the rocks behind you. "I'll just open it then, so stand back, alright?"

"That may be... unwise. We should find our direction, first. I can perform a sounding for this purpose." Patchouli seems to have recovered.

"What do you need that for? I can already tell you there's an opening on the other side, here." Suika frowns.

[ ] Agree with Patchouli.

[ ] Let Suika do her thing.
>> No. 11668
[x] Let Suika do her thing.

I trust world knowledge far more than book knowledge in this situation
>> No. 11672
[x] Agree with Patchouli.
Dungeon, motherfuckers. A sounding might tell us more than if there's an opening on the otherside; like, the best way for Suika to blast a hole open for us.

Remember, guys. We don't have a rogue, which means we have to rely on Batman (Read, Patchouli) to do the job for us. Last thing we want is for Suika to bust the rubble without thinking and cause worse to happen.

Be careful, Anon. Careful.

Also, there's a breeze around, which means there's another way out.

[x] Where'd that breeze come from...?
>> No. 11673
Since when has trusting the barbarian for advice on what to do next ever been a bad thing?
>> No. 11674
[x] Agree with Patchouli.
[x] Where'd that breeze come from...?
>> No. 11675
[x] Agree with Patchouli.
[x] Where'd that breeze come from...?
>> No. 11677
>>11672
Guy knows his business.

[X] Agree with Patchouli.
[X] Where's that breeze coming from...?
>> No. 11678
[X] Agree with Patchouli.
[X] Where's that breeze coming from...?
>> No. 11680
>>11677
Damn straight. First order of Business? Get a 10-foot-pole.
>> No. 11700
>>11680
But where are you going to find a giant Polish person in this setting?
>> No. 11701
>>11700

5 points.
>> No. 11705
File 122785226442.jpg - (664.76KB , 1098x800 , 3640fc4c29c50cc18aab623e85d77ea6.jpg ) [iqdb]
11705
"Hold on, Suika, there may be more ways out. Let's not waste time working in the wrong direction."

"Psch, fine." Suika drops into a lounging position near one wall, hands behind her head.

You nod to Patchouli, and she returns the gesture. Apparently not needing her books for this spell, she raises her hands, making minute gestures and muttering. You feel a faint, momentary tingling when she stops.

"I think--" As Patchouli turns, there's the sound of a multitude of flapping wings from above you.

Momizi lifts her shield, running toward you. "Look out!"

Before any more reaction is possible, the leathery-winged swarm descends, and the fate of your comrades is hidden as you shield your face from the roused cloud of bats. Fortunately, they pass you by without harm, and when you can finally see again, it seems Patchouli losing her balance was the only result of their arrival. This time, it's Momizi who offers her a hand.

"I think the way to the surface is there." Patchouli points, "Around this and up the side, there should be an opening large enough for us, if we do not disturb the cave further. It is likely they just went that way. That route," and here she points back at the wall you'd fallen near, "leads into a deeper network. I'm not certain how far, but it probably has other exits."

"Ohh, you figured this all out pretty fast." Suika remarks.

[ ] Go down.

[ ] Go up.
>> No. 11706
Uh, damn. I don't know enough of the situation. But... it might be better to get our bearings of the situation.

[x] Call for a moment's break. Damn, you need a second.
[x] "Momizi, can you remind me why we're here? I seem to have my memory jarred a bit. I know it's weird, just tell me, please."
[x] Sit down on a piece of rubble.
[x] When she's done, "Do we have a 10-foot pole?"

Dungeon. Better to know which path we walk before we tread blindly onto a piece of stone.
>> No. 11707
[ ] Go up.
>> No. 11708
[X] Go up.

Prudence.
>> No. 11713
[x] Go up.
>> No. 11716
File 122785608544.jpg - (154.56KB , 600x849 , 98cde27a110fa236b7f5194e7ab20684.jpg ) [iqdb]
11716
[x] Go up.

Screw caves. This cave can go to hell.

...Wait a second.
>Calling All Valiant Explorers
>hell

[x] Go down
>> No. 11724
[x] Go down.
[x] Go wrong.
>> No. 11742
[x] Go down
>> No. 11745
File 122789169145.png - (356.18KB , 1800x1200 , yukari_get_down_sheet.png ) [iqdb]
11745
[☆] Get Down☆
>> No. 11751
[x] Go down.

Suddenly, Bucket Ninjas!
>> No. 11753
[x] Go down
>> No. 11810
File 122803382279.jpg - (690.86KB , 800x1131 , 1ee3321e115b81d6162b30370c3ff3ee.jpg ) [iqdb]
11810
Choices, choices... Well, nothing can be gained if you don't look for it.

"Let's go further down. Suika?"

"Right!" Suika nods happily before setting to work.

With a shout and a crash, her feet impact the wall of loose stones. A few steps back, and she repeats the jump with her fists extended, actually punching the rocks bare-handed. As many times as you've seen it, it still makes you wince. She must be immune to pain, or else her knuckles are harder than the stones she's pounding. For that matter, couldn't this kind of recklessness cause another cave-in? You glance apprehensively in Patchouli's direction, but her calm puts your own fears at ease. She'd know if this would be a problem. In the torchlight, you stand well back and watch as rock and dust scatter and Suika starts tossing away stone fragments. After a little while, Momizi hands you the torch to join her.

Not long enough after to tire out either of them, you've gotten a large enough opening into some passage on the other side for you all to walk through. The tunnel is small and narrow, not quite high enough to be comfortable, and the torchlight doesn't stretch enough in each direction to keep everyone's footing sure. You'd been following Patchouli, with Suika and Momizi in front, but perhaps you should hold the light in front.

[ ] _____ should take the lead.
[ ] _____ should bring up the rear.
[ ] _____ should carry the torch.
[ ] _______________________________.
>> No. 11812
[X] Suika should take the lead.
[X] Momizi should bring up the rear.
[X] You should carry the torch.
[X] Patchouli should stay as close to you as possible. Like, hanging on to your arm.
>> No. 11814
[x] Momizi should take the lead.
[x] Suika should bring up the rear.
[x] You should carry the torch.
[x] Go to the left. Try and break the silence with a small folk song. Keep on guard.

To have our tank in front and fighter in back, or vice versa; hard choice, as we don't know what kind of dungeon we're dealing with here. So here, I favor forward defense, mage/priest in the middle, tank in back to knock out any stragglers.
>> No. 11816
[x] Momizi should take the lead.
[x] Suika should bring up the rear.
[x] You should carry the torch.
[x] Go to the left. Try and break the silence with a small folk song. Keep on guard.
>> No. 11819
[X] Momizi should take the lead.
[X] Suika should bring up the rear.
[X] You should carry the torch.
[X] Patchouli should stay as close to you as possible. Like, hanging on to your arm.
>> No. 11823
[X] Momizi should take the lead.
[X] Suika should bring up the rear.
[X] You should carry the torch.
[x] Go to the left. Try and break the silence with a small folk song. Keep on guard.
[X] Patchouli should stay as close to you as possible. Like, hanging on to your arm.
>> No. 11824
[x] Suika should take the lead.
[x] Momizi should bring up the rear.
[x] You should carry the torch.
[x] Try and break the silence with a small folk song. Keep on guard.

As much as doing anything that could possibly alert attackers would be bad, I'm too lazy to think of anything better since I just woke up
>> No. 11825
>>11824

We're in a dungeon; the element of surprise does not exist down here. And getting out without a single encounter is a little boring, no?
>> No. 11830
[X] Suika should take the lead.
[X] Momizi should bring up the rear.
[X] You should carry the torch.

Makes sense.
>> No. 11831
>>11825
Of course there's an element of surprise.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/darkmantle.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monstrousSpider.htm
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20020719a
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_slime_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

[X] Momizi should take the lead.
[X] Suika should bring up the rear.
[X] You should carry the torch.
[x] Go to the left. Keep on guard.
[X] Patchouli should stay as close to you as possible. Like, hanging on to your arm.
[x] Eyes on the fucking ceiling, not down Patchoulli's dress.
[x] I fucking mean it.
[x] Not joking.
[x] Eyes. Ceiling.
[x] No. You can talk to people without looking at them.
[x] CEILING.
>> No. 11834
File 122809488353.jpg - (547.74KB , 689x916 , 09ef695bf31e5cf81b659faefa42755d.jpg ) [iqdb]
11834
Looking behind you, you realize you'd feel safer with someone made of inhumanly tougher stuff bringing up the rear of your group. Someone like Suika. The problem with this thought is that she's not the kind of person to play watchful shepherd (as much as she seems to enjoy watching people). Still, in a place like this, the danger makes the effort necessary.

With some coaxing and a promise not to block the way once you find something worth hitting, you get your expedition reordered. Still holding the torch (quarterstaff tied to your pack, not being too useful here), you now have Suika in back, Momizi holding out sword and shield in front, and Patchouli walking just behind you, trying to make the most of the light.

A few minutes later and this proves to not quite be enough. Patchouli stumbles into your back, and you turn to catch her with your free hand. She never was good at off-road travel to begin with, and the conditions here are less than they could be.

"Just hold onto my arm, alright?"

She nods, without the breath to give a full response, and puts one arm around yours. Hey, that feels kinda nice.

Another few minutes later, and you say, "How about a song?" Momizi stops to look back at you, blankly, and you all stop walking.

"This hardly seems like an appropriate place to make undue noise, considering the creatures we roused just earlier." Patchouli says.

Oh. Well. You suppose that's true.
>> No. 11840
File 122810330772.jpg - (445.62KB , 600x600 , 1193442012816.jpg ) [iqdb]
11840
You come out into a large chamber. The floor slopes downward from your entrance and from the walls to either side. Wherever the walls turn forward, it's outside your torchlight, as is the opposite end of the room, the bottom of the slope, and the ceiling.

As Momizi takes a couple cautious steps down, you stand in the entrance, holding the torch out further and trying to make out something more--anything. Patchouli, letting go of your arm to stare out toward the right, mutters something about "unusual formations" as Suika pulls herself up to your shoulders to look over you.

Patchouli's eyes widen and she opens her mouth, but whatever she was about to say is drowned out. Shield raised, Momizi yells "BACK!" as a dark form the size of a horse-drawn cart falls onto her. The metallic impact of that form against her shield is followed by a duller sound as she hits the ground several yards to the left.

A great round body behind far too many thin legs with too many joints, the ends hooked like scythes. Too many eyes, differently sized, reflecting brightly in the firelight, above fangs as thick as your arms.

And it isn't the only thing moving.

[ ] __________________
>> No. 11841
[ ] Binding Circle on giant spidersohfuckmewhatisthatthing

[ ] Throw Suika at spiders.

[ ] Don't let Patchy out of your arm's reach.
>> No. 11842
>>11840
[X] "Patchouli, get back!"
[X] "Suika, I think we found something worth hitting."
[X] Retreive Momizi; cast Divine Healing on her if necessary.
[X] Queue Binding Circle as you regroup with Patchouli to mounter a counter-offensive.

Always with the giant bugs; probably could have chosen the diplomacy route with Wriggle in our group.
>> No. 11843
Oh. Sup Yamame. What's that? Spiderlings? well fuck.
>> No. 11844
[x] "Patchouli, get back!"
[x] "Suika, I think we found something worth hitting."
[x] Retreive Momizi; cast Divine Healing on her if necessary.
[x] Queue Binding Circle as you regroup with Patchouli to mounter a counter-offensive.
>> No. 11863
>>11831
>[x] Eyes on the fucking ceiling, not down Patchoulli's dress.
>[x] I fucking mean it.
>[x] Not joking.
>[x] Eyes. Ceiling.
>[x] No. You can talk to people without looking at them.
>[x] CEILING.
Seems we've got ourselves an old hand at this dungeon crawling business, here.

>>11842
Sounds good... depending.

What's the scoop on our spells, Crue? They a once-a-day-each thing, we gotta meditate to realign our chakras before we can use them again, or what?
>> No. 11867
[x] Have Suika take an offensive stance and charge the enemy head-on.
[x] Make sure Patchouli stays behind you. Have her cast some element spells or anything that will hit hard from afar.
[x] Get Momizi to retreat and guard you and Patchouli from attack. Heal her if she is wounded. Make sure she is at least a good ten, maybe twenty feet in front of you, so that she can support Suika quickly if defending is not needed.
[x] Use spell Flash Of Light against the monster if possible, to brighten the cave. Whether it reaches/hits or not is of no concern; we need to be able to see clearly.
>> No. 11872
>What's the scoop on our spells, Crue?

Think MP-based. With enough regen to cover attack magic, which is the least expensive.
>> No. 11873
[x] "Patchouli, get back!"
[x] "Suika, I think we found something worth hitting."
[x] Retreive Momizi; cast Divine Healing on her if necessary.
[x] Queue Binding Circle as you regroup with Patchouli to mounter a counter-offensive.
>> No. 11878
[x] "Patchouli, get back!"
[x] "Suika, I think we found something worth hitting."
[x] Retreive Momizi; cast Divine Healing on her if necessary.
[x] Queue Binding Circle as you regroup with Patchouli to mounter a counter-offensive.
>> No. 11881
>>11841
Here. Count my vote as like >>11878
since it's the same thing but put better.
>> No. 11882
[x] "Patchouli, get back!"
[x] "Suika, I think we found something worth hitting."
[x] Retreive Momizi; cast Divine Healing on her if necessary.
[x] Queue Binding Circle as you regroup with Patchouli to mounter a counter-offensive.
>> No. 11883
[x] "Patchouli, get back!"
[x] "Suika, I think we found something worth hitting."
[x] Retreive Momizi; cast Divine Healing on her if necessary.
[x] Queue Binding Circle as you regroup with Patchouli to mounter a counter-offensive.

Yep, this is good.
>> No. 11884
>>11872
Dig.

[X] Have Suika take an offensive stance and charge the enemy head-on.
[X] Make sure Patchouli stays behind you. Have her cast some element spells or anything that will hit hard from afar.
[X] Get Momizi to retreat and guard you and Patchouli from attack. Heal her if she is wounded. Make sure she is at least a good ten, maybe twenty feet in front of you, so that she can support Suika quickly if defending is not needed.
[X] Use spell Flash Of Light against the monster if possible, to brighten the cave. Whether it reaches/hits or not is of no concern; we need to be able to see clearly.

This seems to me the best use of our resources.
>> No. 11892
[X] Have Suika take an offensive stance and charge the enemy head-on.
[X] Make sure Patchouli stays behind you. Have her cast some element spells or anything that will hit hard from afar.
[X] Get Momizi to retreat and guard you and Patchouli from attack. Heal her if she is wounded. Make sure she is at least a good ten, maybe twenty feet in front of you, so that she can support Suika quickly if defending is not needed.
[X] Use spell Flash Of Light against the monster if possible, to brighten the cave. Whether it reaches/hits or not is of no concern; we need to be able to see clearly.

Sounds good