[Return]
Archived Thread

File 122421247958.jpg - (382.15KB , 700x989 , 3b47448a8f7c0db39a63487bd4dbda31491115b5.jpg ) [iqdb]
10416 No. 10416
[x] Leave for the inn

You wait for a few minutes more, to make the journalist is good and gone. Then, bidding Ran farewell, and placing some of your dwindling coin on the counter, you rise and exit. It’s only a short walk to the inn, and you soon enter the familiar building, only to see two surprisingly familiar people. Letty, and the person sprawled across the comfortable couch which you had occupied about this time just a day ago. That person was talking to Letty and flipping through her small notepad. Both look up as you enter, and Letty claps her hands in delight.
“Ah, and there he is! Aya here was just telling me that you’d come back. You may not have met her. This,” she gestures toward the girl on the couch, “is Aya Shameimaru. She’s another tenant of this inn.”
Aya gives a slight nod, her eyes glinting again. “I hope that we can get along well.” Letty smiles in approval. But before you can muster an answer, Aya hops up and takes your hand. “Do you mind if I accompany you to the rooms?”

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

>> No. 10418
[x] NO COMMENTO
>> No. 10419
[x] "Yes, I do mind. I already declined an interview with you before, and I'm going to say the same here."
>> No. 10421
[x] "But we've only just met, Miss Shameimaru."
[x] Assent if she continues to press the issue.

We're not promising her an interview or anything; just to walk up to our rooms together.
>> No. 10428
[X] "Not at all."
[X] "...but the answer to any other question you may have in mind is 'no comment'."

No reason to be a total jerk about it.
>> No. 10440
[x] "Far be it from me to refuse a lady, but I ain't givin' you words for your paper, Miss.. Shamisomethin'."
>> No. 10477
>>10440
[x] "Far be it from me to refuse a lady, but I ain't givin' you words for your paper, Miss Shameimaru."
>> No. 10534
premature update due to lack of votes, but all the votes seem to carry the same general idea, and lead to the same result.
------------------------
[x] "Far be it from me to refuse a lady, but I ain't givin' you words for your paper, Miss Shameimaru."

You nod to her, and she gives you a smile. It seems earnest, altogether different from the one she had back at the saloon. The two of you head toward the stairs in silence, and eventually reach the landing where the bedrooms are. Aya nods, and parts from you, heading to the room across from yours. All of this without saying a word. You reflect a moment on this, but your weariness overcomes you and you head toward your room and bed. The bed is softer than what you had to sleep on with Mima. You wonder how Mima’s doing. How Yamame’s doing. How Parsee’s doing. These thought wander around in your mind, looking for some solace which they eventually find in sleep.
---------------
Day 4 END

[ ] Dream (specify)
[ ] Don’t Dream
[ ] Wake up in the dead of night
>> No. 10535
[ ] Wake up in the dead of night
>> No. 10538
[x] Wake up in the dead of night

Parsee~
>> No. 10540
{X} Wake up in the dead of night
>> No. 10541
[x] Wake up in the dead of night

You rouse yourself from sleep. By the moon, it’s a few hours before midnight. There’s enough time to go to Mima’s hideout and back if you wanted. Stealing out of the inn quietly, taking pains not to wake anyone, you reach the cool outside air. Though there’s no wind tonight, the coolness helps wakes you after your inadequate sleep. You move towards the stables and sneak in. The horses are silent, and the inside is pitch dark. You remember that there’s a lantern nearby, and you light it, dimming the flame as much as possible. Petting your steed, you softly rouse it from its rest. With that done, you turn to get the saddle. Your lantern gives a shadowy illumination to the stables. By its light, you see something more interesting than your saddle—Mokou. She stands, her eyes soft in the flickering light, yet also more piercing than you’ve ever seen them.
“Sir? It is you, isn’t it? Wat’re yah doin’ up at this hour?”

[ ] freewrite
>> No. 10542
>>10541

[x] "I'll be back before dawn, if all goes well." Toss her a coin tip and wink. "You didn't see anything."
>> No. 10624
[x] "I'll be back before dawn, if all goes well." Toss her a coin tip and wink. "You didn't see anything."
>> No. 10626
[x] "I'll be back before dawn, if all goes well." Toss her a coin tip and wink. "You didn't see anything."
>> No. 10627
[x] "I'll be back before dawn, if all goes well." Toss her a coin tip and wink. "You didn't see anything."

On one hand she could see this as acting suspicious and trying to bribe her. On the other she could see us as the awesome gunslinger checking up on his quarry.

Hoping for the latter.
>> No. 10636
[x] "I'll be back before dawn, if all goes well." Toss her a coin tip and wink. "You didn't see anything."

Delicious Mokou~
>> No. 10637
[X] Cross the stable towards her, slowly, without a word.
[X] Once she's within arm's reach, pull her to you and kiss her like the antidote's under her tongue.

Delicious Mokou? Let's find out~
>> No. 10691
[x] "I'll be back before dawn, if all goes well." Toss her a coin tip and wink. "You didn't see anything."

“Sir, yer leavin’ again? So soon? Yeh haven’t even been here a full day.” she moves closer, and her expression is one of worry. Were those piercing eyes a trick of the light?
You shake your head. “I have my reasons…”
“But yeh have reasons ta stay too, don’cha? If ya leave now, the rumors are just going ta get worse, regardless o’ what me or Reimu say. With yeh havin’ been out roughin’ it all this time, wouldn’t ya jus’ want ta stay here for a while? Maybe even settle down?” Her hand grips your arm. You hadn’t realized she was that close to you. “An’… for me, it gets lonesome without ya…” She blushes slightly. Or is that also a trick of the light? You can’t tell. “Whenever ya leave I can’t stop worryin’ about ya. I wonder if yer doin’ okay, and sometimes I wonder if maybe, out wherever you are, ye’r also thinkin’ about me.” Her voice is almost pleading, her tone almost a whisper. “Won’t ya stay here? If not fer anyone else, if not even fer yerself, then won’t ya do it fer me?” Her body presses against yours as she moves even closer. Much too close. You have never seen her more feminine, more… beautiful, than at this moment. Her flowing hair, so unfit for a stablehand, and yet which looks so right on her. Her soft skin, yet unblemished by age, nor worn from her hard work. Even, you think guiltily, the blooming chest which you feel against yours. She stands on her toes, closing her eyes softly. Your perception slows, you feel the heat and vague pleasure of adrenaline in your blood. Her lips near yours…
[ ] Let her.
[ ] No, you can’t…
>> No. 10692
[x] Let her.

Mokou~
>> No. 10693
[x] Let her.

Parsee? Who the fuck is Parsee? All I need is sweet Mokou~
>> No. 10695
[x] Let her.

She has to be fucking with us.
>> No. 10698
[X] Ride that pony.
>> No. 10720
[x] Let her

Posing for the camera.
>> No. 10729
[x] Let her.

in b4 Parsee was hovering around here to meet us, but then sees us kissing Mokou. And then YANDERE HATESEX.
>> No. 10730
>>10695
>She has to be fucking with us.
I agree. This is either too-hasty writing on the part of Deus Ex, or we're being set up somehow.

However, the setup is almost certainly Mokou's own doing especially considering that she does not seem to be the type to help someone to mug you, but who knows?

My theory is that she's going to clonk us over the head a la GA:SD's Reimu.
And then when we wake up, the "lahl ah dunnah" farmgirl personality will be gone because she's serioused the fuck right on up.

After all, Kaguya seemed to recognize her a bit when she saw her, but Mokou didn't seem to react in any noticeable way. I'm wondering if she was just playing dumb, masking her surprise back then.

She waited until now to figure out wtf was going on from us, since we have become the perfect person to extract information from: It's the middle of the night, we're already suspicious, and we were with Kaguya when she arrived. Not only that, we aren't anyone local, so she won't raise any suspicion by asking around about the newly arrived noble.

tl;dr, in before suddenly "WHERE'S KAGUYA?!" *wham* "WHERE'S KAGUYA?!" *wham* with our head in the stable doorway.


All that said, what the heck.

[x] Let her.
>> No. 10830
[x] Let her.

You lean over, and your lips meet hers. She reaches up and grasps your shoulders tightly, as if she were afraid you might disappear if she did not. In turn, you wrap your arms around her. For a while both of you stay like that, content to simply be in the presence of the one you love. A cool breeze drifts past, and reminds you of your current situation, and what you came here to do. Does it really matter anymore, though? Mokou was right, you should simply stay here with her. For once, you’ve found a town that accepts you and a woman that loves you. You finally draw your head back, removing yourself from the kiss slowly, as though such a simple act took enormous effort. Mokou looks up at you, her eyes shining in the flickering lamplight. The two of you don’t say a word, but are connected by a thread of mutual understanding. Then, a sound outside brings you violently back to reality. You turn, quickly, and see a figure silhouetted in the doorway. Mokou seems to be as surprised as you are at the appearance of this stranger, but for an entirely different reason.
Parsee stands rooted to the spot. Her mouth hangs slightly open in a way which would almost be comical if not for the look in the eyes above it. You had seen Parsee angry before, but never had you experienced such pure unbridled wrath as that which these two jade pools now show. A red flush creeps into Parsee’s face, and her right hand reaches for one of her daggers. Mokou grips you even more tightly. Parsee’s eyes briefly flicker from you to Mokou and back, then close. She heaves a slow, deliberate sigh, and the flush recedes. However, her hand does not move from its position.
“Parsee? You’re… still alive?” It’s Mokou’s voice. They know each other? “Still alive,” she said?

[] You’re screwed
>> No. 10831
[x] "Howdy, Parsee. I take it you two have met?"

Playin' it cool.
>> No. 10832
[X] Reach out with one hand and beckon her over. "Room for one more, honey."

Ha ha, no.

[X] "Howdy, Parsee. I take it you two have met?"

Really, nothing we say or do is going to defuse this situation, especially not with Parsee involved.
>> No. 10835
>>10830
>Parsee
I SAW THIS COMING

[x] "Howdy, Parsee. I take it you two have met?"
>> No. 10837
[x] "Howdy, Parsee. I take it you two have met?"
[x] Ignoring whatever they say, get on your horse. "Well, I'll leave you two to catch up with each other; I've things to discuss with the Boss." Ride off for Mima's camp.

Sorry Parsee. Looks like you fell for a womanizer.
>> No. 10847
>>10730
It's a damn shame this didn't happen.

A goddamn shame.
>> No. 10857
>>10847

How do you know it won't happen in the future? If she wanted to get to Kaguya, she'd go through much less trouble if we gave it to her willingly than if we had to be knocked out, tortured, and then disposed of. If this is the canonical immortal Mokou, she's already waited a thousand years to get her revenge; I don't think she'd mind waiting another few days.
>> No. 10868
>>10857
...I really hope so.
>> No. 10959
[X] "Howdy, Parsee. I take it you two have met?"
>> No. 10975
File 122586267791.jpg - (94.47KB , 450x551 , cc45d3057bcf0df88a9c913fe57af69138cc975d.jpg ) [iqdb]
10975
[X] "Howdy, Parsee. I take it you two have met?"

“We-we were friends,” Mokou explains, “back, a long time back, when we were li’l… But, I was told she’d died, shortly after her parents…”
Parsee slowly shakes her head, and opens her eyes. They gleam in the flickering of the lamp. “Oh? But I am dead. Dead to you, dead to this small town.” Her tone is conversational. “You know, Mokou, I trusted you. I really did.”
“I al-” Mokou begins, but Parsee overrides her.
“And you, kid. I thought you were alright. I’ll admit I was a bit suspicious from the instant you mentioned you were that sheriff’s deputy. But I let it go, because Mima trusted you, too.”
“Mima? That escaped outlaw?”
“The one in the same. But to think that even she was deceived. To think that I was deceived. The only two people from this town I still held belief in. It’s an error that I regret I must fix. Rather quickly.”
“Parsee… you can’t…” Mokou pleads.
“I can. You’ll be surprised at what I could do. You’ve lived here all your life. You’ve had people you could trust, that you could depend on. You never had to go through what I did. I see now that you turned your back on me with the rest of them.”
“No, that isn’t true! I wouldn’t do something like that…” Mokou is on the verge of tears, but Parsee doesn’t seem to notice or care.
“Coming back here has just made me remember what eyesores this town and everyone in it are. I had almost forgotten.” Her hand grips her dagger’s hilt. This isn’t good, you’re sure you have no chance against her.
“Parsee, believe me, I didn’t-” but Parsee has already leapt. You can’t block it in time, you’ve been first-hand witness to her speed and deadly prowess. The wicked blade slides clean through Mokou’s ribs before she can react. A deadly cold sets over you, as you see Parsee support Mokou’s suddenly weak form, blood blossoming from her chest. The chest that not an hour ago you held so tightly to you. Your mind works to reject the image. It can’t be true. These things aren’t supposed to happen. Of course, murder happens. And hanging around in such wild areas, especially with bandits, makes the event all too common. But it was supposed to be something that happened to other people, not you. Yet, there, in frightening reality, is Parsee, now kneeling with her old friend in her arms and the dagger tossed to the side.
Mokou weakly reaches up and caresses Parsee’s cheek with the back of her hand. Parsee recoils at first from the touch, as though it was painful. Mokou grasps Parsee, and with her waning strength, draws her into an embrace. There’s no malice in her eyes, only empathy and sadness. You can barely hear Mokou’s whisper.
“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” Then, the hands’ grip fades, and the arms slide off the girl. This Parsee, whom you had known for so long, in once more just a girl in front of you. She grasps the corpse tightly, unaware of anything but that feeling of touch. And, for only the second time in her life, she cries.

B A D E N D
>> No. 10976
[x] Back 2 choices.
[x] No, you can’t…
>> No. 10979
what
>> No. 10997
[x] Back 2 choices.
[x] No, you can’t…
>> No. 10998
[x] What the fuck.
>> No. 11003
ಠ_ಠ
>> No. 11004
[x] Back 2 choices.
[x] No, you can’t…
>> No. 11005
[x] Back 2 choices.
[x] No, you can’t…
>> No. 11014
Mokou and Parsee? That's one hell of a pairing.
>> No. 11197
If I died every time this story did, I'd know Shikieiki on a first-name basis by now.
------------------------
[x] No, you can’t…

You can’t. Regardless of your own feelings, you’ve already made a choice, and you have a feeling that straying from your path now would only lead to trouble. You place your hand on Mokou’s shoulder. It’s not a forceful gesture, but it keeps mouth from reaching yours. She blinks at you once, twice, then lowers herself to a standing position. She does not cry, but simply looks at you with forlorn eyes.
“Why?” Her voice comes as almost a whisper. A simple question, but far less simple to answer.
“I… have something I have to do first.”
“Is it with those bandits again?”
You nod.
“And what am I supposed to do? Just wait here, while you go off into a den of thieves?”
“Believe in me. That’s all I need from you. Trust me, and trust my judgment. Don’t worry, I promise you that I’ll return to you safely. That’s on my honor.”
Mokou nods, but her eyes still seem downcast. You give her a last pat on her shoulder, and turn to finish readying your horse, but Mokou calls to you.
“One last thing… did Reimu ask you to do this?”
You shake your head. “I decided this myself. The first time, too. Reimu had no part in it.”
“So the person holding you to your word is…”
“Myself.”
Mokou nods. “Well, I guess I like that part of you too.” She allows herself a bitter smile.
You’ve soon saddled your horse, and Mokou sees you off as you leave the stable heading toward the edge of town. You take the pace slow until you’re clear of the buildings, so as to not cause too great a disturbance. Lost in thought about Mokou, the town, and everything you’ve experienced in the last couple of days, you’re almost unaware of a movement in the shadows of a building. However, the small stone that painfully blindsides you quickly remedies that. You vision wavers and you almost fall off your horse in surprise, while looking for the source of the offending projectile. The shadow being the most likely culprit, you quickly dismount and reach for your revolver. You don’t want to draw it if you don’t have to, but caution is a virtue that someone like you can’t ignore in this day and age, and that rock was hardly friendly. Moving closer, you can vaguely make out a human shape. However, it speaks before you do.
“I was wondering what it’d take you to notice.”
“Parsee?”
“Yes, Parsee. Now take your hand off that damn thing.” You remove your hand from your gun. Hardly friendly, indeed.

[] What the hell was that rock for?
[] What the hell are you doing here?
[] What the hell, Parsee? Just what the hell?
>> No. 11207
>>11197
But Sikieiki is her first name, so yeah.

[X] What the hell, Parsee? Just what the hell?
>> No. 11210
[x] What the hell, Parsee? Just what the hell?

What the hell, Parsee?
>> No. 11211
[x] What the hell was that rock for?
[x] What the hell are you doing here?
[x] What the hell, Parsee? Just what the hell?

When you can't pick one, you pick all of them at once for a humorous outcome.
>> No. 11244
>>11197
>but simply looks at you with forlorn eyes.
Now we need aforlornphoenix.jpg

>>11207
>But Shikieiki is her first name, so yeah.
Fixed.
>> No. 11245
[x] What the hell was that rock for?
[x] What the hell are you doing here?
[x] What the hell, Parsee? Just what the hell?
>> No. 11269
>>11244
But Sikieiki isn't a Japanese name/word and therefore not summarily subject to Japanese spelling conventions when not actually being spelled in Japanese, so yeah. Also, you're a bedwetting sissy.
>> No. 11281
>>11269
>But Sikieiki isn't a Japanese name/word and therefore not summarily subject to Japanese spelling conventions when not actually being spelled in Japanese,
From the wiki: 四季映姫・ヤマザナドゥ

I cannot disagree that ヤマザナドゥ is not a Japanese term. That is blindingly obvious, and you are completely right to state this.

However, that is very clearly not the part in question, and we are both aware of that. I do not really think you can honestly claim that 四季映姫 is not Japanese, even on the desperate and flimsy technicality that including her title of "ヤマザナドゥ" completely invalidates the Japanese-ness, for want of a better term, of her name.
>四
>
This is Shi. True, it has other readings, but none sounding remotely similar. Can you say with a straight face and in all truth that this is not Shi, and that it does not mean "four"? I do not believe you can, and certainly not when considering the kanji it is paired with. The words making up the name are Japanese words, and they are spoken as the Japanese speak them: "Shiki Eiki." Yes, it and the accompanying kanji have different pronunciations in Chinese. But Touhou is not a Chinese-made game, and it is ridiculous to even consider mentioning Chinese pronunciations in these circumstances.

The fact of the matter is that ZUN used romaji badly here. It is an all-too-common practice among Japanese people that are not entirely familiar with the western alphabet. It would be rather like an American leaving the tilde off of the ñ in "Señor," or the cedilla off of the ç in "garçon" and then attempting to claim they are the same: True, it is almost the same, in appearance. True, you can see what they meant to do.

None of that justifies knowingly writing it erroneously, or even doing so innocently, but then attempting to claim that you are correct when your mistake is pointed out. If you tried to say it exactly as you have written it, you will be wrong. A method that encourages this kind of thoughtless bungling of language simply does not deserve to be used. (It is especially appalling that the government of Japan is actually trying to encourage this method. In light of reading about the country's increasingly anti-foreigner stance, this is depressingly unsurprising, however).

I hate to be yet another person who complains about this sort of thing, and especially hate that I am doing this in Deus Ex's thread. For those reasons, I am attempting to go about this in a polite and civil manner instead of participating in the mutual childish sniping and arrogant behavior that seems to spring up in these discussions, and saging my post (respectively). My deepest apologies to you, Deus Ex, and to the readers of this story for dropping this ugly wall of rebuttal here. I merely wished to preemptively answer and defuse every possible relevant angle or counter-argument that I could dream up.

>Also, you're a bedwetting sissy.
While I admit that it is certainly possible you have some means of showing me how very wrong and foolishly misguided I was or am to add that "h" into her name, Tetrominon, consider having the common courtesy to do that from the start next time you disagree with someone. As it is now, you sound butthurt and arrogant.

Now, since I am satisfied that I have made the points I set out to make, I have nothing left to add, and will not bother dragging out this discussion any further.
>> No. 11284
File 122696638937.jpg - (82.65KB , 200x200 , 5aa1d3f3.jpg ) [iqdb]
11284
>Yes, it and the accompanying kanji have different pronunciations in Chinese. But Touhou is not a Chinese-made game, and it is ridiculous to even consider mentioning Chinese pronunciations in these circumstances.

Isn't it sad, Kurenai Misuzu?
>> No. 11286
>>11244
>But Eiki is her first name, so yeah.
Fixed your fix, dumbass.

But yeah, her family name is pronounced しき, which romanizes to Shiki. Shiki Eiki Yamaxanadu, or Yamaxanadu Eiki Shiki in western order (title - given - family). ZUN screwed up the romaji, it's not the first time (Syameimaru).
>> No. 11287
>>11281
>blah blah nihongo is superior
Kanji notwithstanding, her name and concept are lifted from Indian mythology and therefore just as arguably subject to Indian romanization.

>As it is now, you sound butthurt and arrogant.
It was a joke, you superfaggot, placed there with the intention that my argument not be taken too seriously. Clearly, I underestimated you.

>Now, since I am satisfied that I have made the points I set out to make, I have nothing left to add, and will not bother dragging out this discussion any further.
Bedwetter.
>> No. 11315
[x] What the hell, Parsee? Just what the hell?
>> No. 11316
Is it just me, or does the image thumbnail starting this thread make it look like Aya's wearing glasses, which sorta look hot?
>> No. 11319
[x] What the hell, Parsee? Just what the hell?

“What the hell, Parsee? Just what the hell?”
She cocks an eyebrow at your language. “I didn’t think you’d notice me any other way, and you were about to go riding off in the middle of the night. Being that your direct commander came all the way out here to see you, you should be glad.”
“To see me?” Parsee? Really?
“Why else would I be anywhere near this godforsaken town? Well, not only to see you, of course, but I thought that as long as I was here it wouldn’t kill me to check up on you.”
“It almost killed me, though,” you remark sarcastically.
“Give it a rest. You’re still conscious, that should be good enough.”
“Fine. So then, what else are you here for?”
Parsee considers before answering. “I suppose I should tell you, since Mima still trusts you. Let me tell you now, though, that if you tell that bitch of a sheriff I’ll make sure your death is as excruciatingly painful as can be achieved by modern man. Though, if my hunch is right, Reimu will know soon anyway.” She pauses to contemplate her words again, but right when you’re about to speak up she asks you an odd question. “Tell me, have you seen Mima around lately?”
“Not today; I’ve been in town if it happened to escape your notice.”
“That’s what I’m saying, you twit. Mima’s gone missing.”
“And she’s come to the town?”
“I can only assume, but this town is the most likely possibility. Anywhere else is just too far away to be reasonable.”
“And the others?”
“Back at the hideout. If Mima’s not back by sunup, though, they’ve insisted on coming over here to see if anything’s happened.”
“Well, if Mima is here, the next question would be why.”
“Why she’s come back to the town where she was imprisoned for months after finally escaping? Again, I don’t know. Mima’s a mystery, even to me. I could make some guesses, but they’re all equally unlikely.”
“Such as?”
“Well, we can assume Mima’s come here for a purpose. I’d say she wants to pay a visit to someone here. As she hasn’t approached you, I think it’s someone else. Now, she knows a couple people around town, mostly the ones that keep more to themselves, but I think her target is the sheriff herself.
“What, she wants revenge for locking her up?”
Parsee shakes her head. “No, it’s not that simple. I don’t know much about it, but those two go back long before Mima’s imprisonment. What I do know is that it makes me uneasy. Just… keep an eye out, alright?”
Parsee turns her face away, and begins to walk off. You…

[] return to the inn
[] “wait…” (freewrite)
[] Continue to the hideout
>> No. 11320
Man it's gonna be anti-climatic when we return our horse to the stable.

[x] return to the inn

If Mima wants to be found, she'll come to us the same way she did last time.
>> No. 11321
[x] "wait... be careful, okay?"
[x] Continue to the hideout.
>> No. 11323
>>11316
Can't unsee, which is fine, because yeah, that is pretty fucking hot.

>>11319
[X] "Wait..."
[X] "...take care of yourself."
[X] Continue to the hideout.
>> No. 11332
File 122720150572.jpg - (126.89KB , 498x596 , Aya132.jpg ) [iqdb]
11332
>>11316
>>11323

>Aya
>glasses
>hot
>> No. 11333
File 122720153131.jpg - (65.22KB , 754x634 , Aya219.jpg ) [iqdb]
11333
>>11316
>>11323

>Aya
>glasses
>hot
>> No. 11334
[X] "Wait..."
[X] "...take care of yourself."
[X] Continue to the hideout.
>> No. 11618
D-don't be so full of yourself, I just felt like updating, that's all!
---------------------------
[X] "Wait..."
[X] "...take care of yourself."
[X] Continue to the hideout.

You call out to her.
“Wait…” She turns and looks at you, her eyes the only feature clearly visible in the night. “take care of yourself.” You manage to give the girl a half-grin.
“Dumbass, I don’t need to hear that from a newbie like you.” She turns again and disappears into the shadows. You couldn’t see her expression, but her words seemed to lack their usual sharpness. Thinking about it, you remount your horse. If there’s trouble with Mima, you should probably return to the rest of the group and see how they’re doing. You can trust Parsee to handle anything that happens here. With that, you ride off in the direction of the hideout.
It takes a few solid hours of riding to arrive, but fortunately the lack of hangover or tiredness makes the trip much easier, though with this being your second sleepless night, your sleep cycle’s probably pretty much shot. Well, not that it matters much in the perpetual twilight of the bandits’ caves. You guide your horse into the entrance and hitch it securely with the other horses. You pat it caringly as it looks at you. Walking through the passage, you come at last to the main chamber. Yuugi is, surprisingly, present instead of in the storeroom. It seems that in the absence of Mima or Parsee she would be next in the chain of command. However, she seems more interested in the game of dice she currently playing with some of the other bandits. She throws the dice and a groan escapes the man next to her as they land. Yuugi pats him on the back comfortingly.
“Now, there, it’s only a week’s rations. Here, y’see, I’ll even be generous and say it’s only four days.” It seems that gambling with her is a risky venture.
What also catches your attention is the pale little girl who’s sitting alone like before. She’s the first to notice you and smiles a little, waving reservedly at you from across the room. One of the male bandits notices, follows Yamame’s gaze, and sees you. He leans over behind Yuugi, taps her shoulder, and when she looks inquiringly at him, points to you. Yuugi stands and claps her hands together.
“Well, that makes everyone now. Hey, kid, over here!” She calls across the room. You’re not entirely sure why she says this, however, because before you have a chance to follow through she strides over to you herself and pats you on the back with enough force to almost wind you. “Kid, it’s good to see you! But I didn’t expect you to come back so soon. Was there trouble? Girl trouble? You can tell me all about her later. Or, do you have news of Mima already? You do know, don’t you?” at the mention of Mima, silence falls and the room watches you intently.
“No, it’s nothing like that,” you say quickly, adverse to this sudden attention. “I just heard about what happened and thought it would be best to come back here.”
Yuugi lets out a sigh. “Too much to ask for, eh? No matter. But you did meet Parsee?” You nod. “So you did go back to the town after all. We’d asked Mima about it, but she just repeated that it was none of our business. Even so, we had a good idea of where you went since there’s not much else around here. But if Mima hasn’t contacted you either…” Yuugi lapses into thought. “Eh, she’ll turn up soon, it’s not her style to keep a low profile for long. Worrying’s not going to do us any good in any case, and I can trust Mima not to do something too stupid.” The grin returns to her face, and she motions back to the dice. “So, fancy a game?”

[] I have a few more questions…
[] Sure, what’s the wager?
[] I wanted to see how Yamame was doing.
[] Damn, I’m hungry.
>> No. 11637
[x] I wanted to see how Yamame was doing.
[x] Damn, I’m hungry.

Romantic candle lit dinn- okay, maybe not, but still.
>> No. 11643
[x] I wanted to see how Yamame was doing.
[x] Damn, I’m hungry.
>> No. 11661
[x] I wanted to see how Yamame was doing.
[x] Damn, I’m hungry.
>> No. 12233
Girls have done their best and are waiting impatiently.
>> No. 12234
[X] I wanted to see how Yamame was doing.
[X] Damn, I’m hungry.

Totally missed this before.
>> No. 12237
[x] Sure, what’s the wager?
>> No. 12545
Still missing this.
>> No. 12550
You're not getting away with this that easy, Deus Ex.
Update already.
>> No. 13661
I know you're there, DX.

Write!
>> No. 13774
File 123259532444.jpg - (62.10KB , 614x790 , 86626347a2b5daee0dac92d4a7bb4940.jpg ) [iqdb]
13774
Oh, hey, that one CYOA updated.
---------------------------------------
[X] I wanted to see how Yamame was doing.
[X] Damn, I’m hungry.

“Before anything like that, I have something I need to discuss with Yamame.”
“Yamame?” Yuugi looks a bit put out by your answer, but all the same nods. “Just tell me if you’re ever up to it, I can’t turn down a gamble.” She gives you a small salute as she returns to the dice.
Meanwhile, you take a seat next to Yamame. She gives a little sigh and looks up at you. “How was it?” she asks.
“It was… nice.”
“Nice, huh…” she looks up at the ceiling. “But you came back.”
You nod. “I did.”
“For Mima?”
“For Mima, for you, for everyone.”
“Do you… like it here?”
“I do. Of course, the town is a nice place. The people there, the food, the warm beds… but at the same time, this place isn’t so different. The beds may not be as soft, and the life may not be as easy, but the food is good, and the feeling of closeness is still there.”
Yamame looks at you and gives a warm little smile. “I do like it, too.” She coughs slightly, and her stomach growls. She looks down, as though asking it what exactly it thought it was doing.
You pat her hand. “Hungry, eh?” She slowly nods, blushing furiously. “Hey Yuugi! You got any food left? I haven’t eaten yet.”
Yuugi doesn’t even look up from the dice. “Should be something still on the fire.”
You nod, and gesture to Yamame. “After you.” The little girl rises and shyly makes her way to what could be called the kitchen. There is indeed some soup keeping warm over a tidy flame. You quickly fetch two bowl and spoons and portion out some of the food. As soon as Yamame takes her bowl, she begins eating voraciously.
“A growing girl, huh?” You ask, somewhat surprised. Her appetite isn’t at all proportional to her body. The bowl already more than half-empty, she pauses to shoot you a look before vigorously returning to the meal. You amusedly watch her gulp down the rest of the soup. This doesn’t go unnoticed by the girl, who drops her spoon with a clatter her spoon into the now-empty bowl and stares at you defiantly.
You can’t help but chuckle. Even angry, she looks pretty cute. “I didn’t mean no harm by it, little missy, don’t be taking it too personally.”
She gives a little “hmph” but doesn’t take her eyes off you. Smiling, you reach out and ruffle her hair, eliciting a surprised sort of squeak and then an even deeper blush than before.
This may be a good time to talk to her more, or else you may want to get some sleep before dawn.
>> No. 13775
>>13774

Is this write-in time?
>> No. 13776
Ah, yes, it is

[ ]Write-in

time.
>> No. 13777
>She gives a little “hmph” but doesn’t take her eyes off you. Smiling, you reach out and ruffle her hair, eliciting a surprised sort of squeak and then an even deeper blush than before.

Yamame is cute, but if we tease her any more she might implode.

[x] Play a few games with Yuugi, but go to bed before you put yourself in too much debt.
>> No. 13778
[x] Play a few games with Yuugi, but go to bed before you put yourself in too much debt.
>> No. 13789
[x] Play a few games with Yuugi, but go to bed before you put yourself in too much debt.
>> No. 13966
[x] Play a few games with Yuugi, but go to bed before you put yourself in too much debt.
>> No. 13970
[x] Play a few games with Yuugi, but go to bed before you put yourself in too much debt.
>> No. 14148
[x] Play a few games with Yuugi, but go to bed before you put yourself in too much debt.

After finishing your own soup quickly and rather quietly, you decide to give Yamame a chance to cool down, perhaps literally, and you remember Yuugi’s offer. Dice, huh? You’ve done your fair share of gambling, but this seems to have a bit more at stake than you’re used to.
For her part, Yuugi looks positively delighted when you ask to play.
“Right, just let me finish up here.” She tosses the dice lazily, and you watch as they tumble through the air, landing finally on a five and four. “That makes it one hundred and two, I’m afraid. Better luck next time.” She shakes her head. The man groans, and the surrounding crowd lets out a discordance of cheers and consolations. Yuugi turns back to you. “Thanks for bearing with me. Now, since you’re new here, I’m going to take the lead and change it up a bit.”
She takes the two dice from the ground, and produces a wooden cup. Throwing the dice in, she gives it a good shake, then sets the cup firmly on the ground upside-down, covering the dice. The air around you is immediately tense with expectation. There is silence as everyone looks at the cup.
“The game is simple. The sum of the face-up numbers of the dice is either even or odd. You call one of the two, then we reveal the dice. If you’re right, you win. If you’re not, I win. And the wager… if you win, I’ll owe you a favor. You can call it in for anything, any time. But, if I win? Well, then you’ll be going a bit lean for the next few days. It seems harsh, but it helps ration the food. I don’t know why, but people still keep trying.”
“A word of advice.” A man who easily looks to be the elder of the group gathered around speaks. “Yuugi’s been gambling like this for years now. People have always tried, but nobody has been able to win. Not once. That woman is a demon when it comes to games of chance, and has the devil’s own luck with her. She’s a fair player for sure—we’ve checked her dice thoroughly—but there’s no getting around it. And her punishment is exactly how it sounds, no better and no worse. If you fail, you live off water for five days. Don’t think you can wriggle out of it, either. She’s stalwart in two things, and this is one of them. Now, I’m not trying to scare you. By the looks of you, I’d say it wouldn’t do much good anyway. But I’m just giving you the facts straight, and letting you decide for yourself.”
Yuugi waves away the speech with a hand. “Oh, it’s not all that bad. At least everyone here has tried it at least once. It’s almost like an initiation into the group. Now, time to decide.” She brings her palm down to rest on the cup. Her gaze locks on you, like a wolf stalking prey. Suddenly, her laid-back demeanor is gone. For this moment, the two of you are opponents.
“Odd or even?”

[ ] Odd
[ ] Even
>> No. 14149
[ ] Even
>> No. 14151
[x] "You first."
[x] When you lose, double or nothing. Keep doing this.
[x] "Jesus went for forty days and forty nights. We'll see how long I last."
[x] Call her a coward if she refuses.

Obviously there's a trick, but it doesn't really matter what it is, because you're going to reach a point where her only choice is to throw the game, or doom you to a death by starvation. If she does refuse to continue, then we still look like a badass in front of all the men, even if we go without food. Plus, we have a source of income that they don't know about; it's not like we need the food, and to everyone else, it'll look like she's letting us slide.

tl;dr: turning lose-lose into win-win
>> No. 14152
[x] Even
>> No. 14158
[x] Even
>> No. 14166
File 123387412827.jpg - (66.65KB , 640x480 , 1204514545532.jpg ) [iqdb]
14166
[X] Even
[X] Watch her hands when she lifts the cup.
[X] Don't let it end after one round, even if you win.
>> No. 16429
Funny thing, time, innit?
---------------------------------
[x] Even

“Even.” Your face is set. Yuugi nods, once, and lifts. The cup comes off the dice… The crowd leans in, clamoring to get a look at the result, and then explodes with sound. Hands pat your back, people are speaking, but you can’t hear a word of it. However, you’re sure that what they’re speaking of is those two dice, and the pair of threes staring up at the cavern’s roof. Yuugi herself looks down at the dice. It seems that even she is taken aback. Yuugi looks up from the dice, shaking her head in disbelief.
“Ya did it, kiddo. Can’t say I expected you to win. But fair’s fair, and I’m not one to go back on my word. Anything, as long as I can give it. It’s a good gift, and like is you won’t get another like it, so don’t waste it, alright? That wasn’t just luck there, is what I think. The roll of the dice is one thing, but I think you were fated to win that roll. Out of all the people that could have won, all the times those dice could have given their blessing, only now have they chosen someone else over me.” She pats you firmly on the shoulder. “So, be careful, and good luck. I don’t know what’s gonna happen to you in the future, but I reckon it’s not going to be anything ordinary. But know, promise or no, I’m behind ya on it.” Stretching, Yuugi rises. “Now, off to bed with you. It’s getting late. And that,” She continues, raising her voice to be heard over the crowd, “goes for all of you as well.”
“How about-“ you begin, but Yuugi holds a finger to your lips.
“Don’t push your luck, kid. It might snap.” With that, she casually tosses a wave in farewell as she heads for the women’s bedrooms.
As you yourself head back, you’re assailed with a never-ending torrent of congratulations, questions, and suggestions of what you should do with your precious prize. So much so, in fact, that you could hardly catch anything significant or even intelligible among the chatter. You manage to wave the people off and, when it becomes apparent that you’re not disposed to being generously charitable tonight, the sound dies down to be replaced by that of sleep. You yourself, exhausted by the day’s events, soon drift off into sleep.
>> No. 16430
And I manage to miss the actual choices.
[] Dream
-[] etc
>> No. 16431
[ze] Parsee
>> No. 16432
>>16431
Also if you take this long to update again I will fly to hawaii and creep into your house at night and make a mess of your clavicle and femur
>> No. 16435
>>16430
Don't sound too enthusiastic, now. Wouldn't want to hurt yourself.

[x] Yamame
>> No. 16436
[x] Yamame


Oh god, I thought you died.
>> No. 16437
>>16436
I did, but I had a 1-up.
>> No. 16441
[x] Yamame
>> No. 16447
[x] Yamame
>> No. 16575
[x] Parsee
>> No. 16756
[x] Parsee
>> No. 17276
updates
>> No. 18848
Update or I will downgrade you to poi-nigger.
>> No. 19911
File 12427186352.jpg - (128.00KB , 600x900 , 4730a3242719b9f28b6af4e0b73f3e04.jpg ) [iqdb]
19911
[x]Yamame

A continuing dream. Clutching to someone’s back, you look over their shoulder, brushing their long green hair out of the way as the wind whips through it. You can se a stone crag quickly approaching, a cavern just visible at its base. As you enter the cave, the woman pats your head and says something. You can’t make out the words, but you relax your grip on her clothes. Then, people. Not like how you remembered before, unfriendly, scared, or uncaring. Acceptance. Someone pats your shoulder. You can’t make out words, but you know you can belong here… even so, why did it turn out differently? Maybe it’s fate, or just natural habit. You find yourself distancing from others, in mind and body. Even here… you look down at your hands. A shadow falls over you. A new face again? But… this one’s different. He sits down next to you.
Maybe… maybe you’ll try to know someone once more.
------------------------------------------
You wake with a start. Yuugi’s shaking you, and though she may not mean it to be as hard as it is, it’s nonetheless not too pleasant of an experience.
“Kid, the sun’ll be up soon.”
“But it’s still dark…”
“O’course it is, numbskull. It’s always dark here.” Right, the cave… memories come back. Mima’s gone, you went back to the bandits, but… Mima?
“Sunrise? Then Mima-”
“Yeah, no word at all. We’re moving out now.” Even when tired, it doesn’t take you long to fully prepare. With everyone’s horses saddled, the group sets off for town with the haste that can only come of worry. You can feel the tension in the air. Mima’s definitely been missing for far too long now. But why go back to town? What would she gain from walking alone right into the hands of those who want to see her locked up, or even dead?
As you ride, the horizon is painted orange, showing that the sun indeed is about to begin his weary trek through the sky. Against that panoramic backdrop, the sprawl of the town comes into view. It hits you that you’re certainly not going to come into town like this without any commotion. However, as the town nears, you can see that commotion’s been a bit ahead of you. A crowd of people fills the main street, but they all look inward, and only when he sound of your horses’ hooves reach them that they turn and notice your group. Many look at you specifically. A wave of muttering runs through the crowd as word of your arrival trickles across it. Yuugi and the others slide off their horses, and you follow suit. Yuugi steps up to speak.
“Yo, fellas. What’re y’all doing so early in the morning, all crowded like this?” She acts quite naturally for a wanted person, but can’t hide some of her tension. She must already suspect who’s at the center of this crowd. The townspeople looks at each other, then hesitatingly draw back, like a curtain. You can now see through to the center of the crowd where not one, but two people stand. The crowd gives them generous amounts of room on all sides, and seems to be merely looking on. They also seem to grudge your approach, but don’t make any move to stop it. Moving up to the edge of the circle, you can see the two figures quite clearly. Mima and Reimu.
“You don’t know how glad I was when I heard you escaped, Mima.”
“Yeah? Why’s that?”
“I knew I would have so much fun putting you down again.” Reimu chuckles.
“I have to say, I was eager for a rematch as well.”
“I could see. After all, you actually went and found me. I’d call it admirably brave if it wasn’t so stupid.”
“You seem quite confident in your abilities.” The two are reaching for their weapons. Not good, this could get dangerous. The crowd seems to be thinking the same, because they quickly part. Some take cover in shops, some just on the sidelines, but the road itself has now become a clear battlefield. You yourself take a place on the sides, watching intently. Reimu stops for a moment, puts her hand in her pocket and produces a copper piece.
“Fair’s fair, right?”
“Of course.” Mima immediately resumes a relaxed posture. Reimu nods, once, and tosses the coin high in the air. She too lets her arms fall to her side. The coin carves a steep arc through the air before plummeting to the ground. A hush seizes the crowd. The coin impacts the floor, and suddenly the two figures erupt into sudden movement. Six shots ring out almost as soon as the coin hit the ground. You hadn’t even seen them draw. Both figures throw themselves to the side, dodging the others’ shots. Rolling, they don’t miss a beat, running towards each other with almost inhuman speed. Reimu lashes out first, a backhand blow that Mima parries with her own arm.
The two… seem evenly matched. Completely foregoing actual guns, this has become a close-quarters battle. Both sides of the fight pull of stunts and martial techniques that look straight out of a kung-fu movie. You can see now why nobody else seems to be interfering; no matter how you look at it, the two combatants seem to be on an entirely different level. In this kind of world, skill really does make a difference. Mima and Reimu separate, each jumping back and then staring the other down. Both seem to be breathing rather hard. At least they’re human enough to tire from vigorous exercise.
Both cast a glance over at you. They speak in unison.
“Shoot her!”

[] Help Mima
[] Help Reimu
[] Write-in
>> No. 19912
>straight out of a kung-fu movie
ಠ_ಠ

[x] "What?"
[x] "Isn't this your own battle? Where's your honor as men- er, women?"
>> No. 19931
[x] "What?"
[x] "Isn't this your own battle? Where's your honor as men- er, women?"
>> No. 20024
[x] To neither of them in particular, "Really now, telling me to shoot a now unarmed woman, I believe that would be a crime. An outlaw like you Mima I could understand, but Sheriff I am honestly disappointed in you."
[x] "In addition to creating a public nuisance," loudly enough for all those watching to see, "Disrupting the normal orderly affairs of this small town. As it seems I remain the only public servant with any measure of sanity, it looks like I'll have put you both under arrest."
[x] Collect their guns. Separate cells. As 'Acting Sheriff' you need Reimu's badge too.
[x] Let Suika know that you're sheriff now, if you see her.

This town? It's mine now.
>> No. 20034
[x] To neither of them in particular, "Really now, telling me to shoot a now unarmed woman, I believe that would be a crime. An outlaw like you Mima I could understand, but Sheriff I am honestly disappointed in you."
[x] "In addition to creating a public nuisance," loudly enough for all those watching to see, "Disrupting the normal orderly affairs of this small town. As it seems I remain the only public servant with any measure of sanity, it looks like I'll have put you both under arrest."
[x] Have the others help you in subduing the pair. Collect their guns. Separate cells. As 'Acting Sheriff' you need Reimu's badge too.
[x] Let Suika know that you're sheriff now, if you see her.
>> No. 20038
[x] "What?"
[x] "Isn't this your own battle? Where's your honor as men- er, women?"
>> No. 20050
[x] To neither of them in particular, "Really now, telling me to shoot a now unarmed woman, I believe that would be a crime. An outlaw like you Mima I could understand, but Sheriff I am honestly disappointed in you."
[x] "In addition to creating a public nuisance," loudly enough for all those watching to see, "Disrupting the normal orderly affairs of this small town. As it seems I remain the only public servant with any measure of sanity, it looks like I'll have put you both under arrest."
[x] Have the others help you in subduing the pair. Collect their guns. Separate cells. As 'Acting Sheriff' you need Reimu's badge too.
[x] Lecture the both of them in their cells: "You think you can just die in a blaze of glory and that's it? But what happens to the problems and the people you leave behind? Do they just no longer exist? Are you honestly so selfish that you think no one would care?"
[x] Let Suika know that you're sheriff now, if you see her. Tell her to keep watch on the prisoners; the acting sheriff will be in the bar.
[x] If you get any guff from anyone, wave your gun and (new) badge around, tell them they're "obstructing justice".

Of course, we'll cut them a deal: Mima will put in some community service hours to repay the goods you she stole. Reimu goes on probation for a while as well as getting paid leave for a few weeks (seriously, the girl needs a vacation if she's this stressed), and when all is said and done, we'll abdicate.

I'm disappointed in both of them. Reimu, if she killed Mima, knows there would be retribution from her gang. Mima formed a band of outlaws around herself, claiming to be a noble thief only looking out for their survival, and here she is all but ready to die in a gun battle. What would happen to her outlaws then? They'd either starve, or Reimu would eliminate them, or in getting revenge on the town, resulting in being suppressed by the army.
>> No. 20056
This seems good, but... not right.
>> No. 20057
>>20056

Agreed. Needs more Western drawl, I reckon.
>> No. 20163
[x] Draw two guns and shoot them both.
>> No. 20300
>>20056

It needs to include kissing Parsee full on the lips once she recovers from the shock and draws a gun on him.
>> No. 20377
>>20300
Yes.
Fucking yes.

Maybe not now, maybe later, but it must be done, all the same.
>> No. 22949
Get back to work, DX.

Now.
>> No. 22968
File 125896957930.jpg - (187.45KB , 700x760 , zundere2.jpg ) [iqdb]
22968
I have been bugged about this on-and-off for the past six months, so I reckon I should leave it up to the readers: Would you mind Old West Touhou starting back up and, if it does, should it continue where it left off or begin anew? The choice is yours, choose wisely.

[ ] Continue
[ ] New game
[ ] Quit (saved data will be lost)
>> No. 22969
[x] New game

HALLELUJAH.

May change this vote later.
>> No. 22971
[X] Your choice.
I wouldn't mind starting from where we left off, and the old threads are still in the archive, but you might get more readers if you began anew. Whatever works is good, so long as you go back to writing.
>> No. 22972
[X] New game

I like the concept, but I never payed this enough attention back when it was active, so...
>> No. 22973
[x] Either (just write)
>> No. 22974
[X] New game

A fresh start would be nice.
>> No. 22983
[X] New game

Loved the old one, but it's been too long.
>> No. 23145
DX.

Write already, you git. You have your decision made for you.

Wriiiiite.
>> No. 23162
>>22968
[x] Continue.
[x] Write a short summary of the first five threads.

It was good, don't scrap it.