[Return]
Archived thread

File 127239724980.jpg - (931.11KB , 1087x900 , Give it to me~.jpg ) [iqdb]
4272 No. 4272
Okay, so.
Question and Answer time.

But first, a very special message.

>> No. 4273
File 127239752962.jpg - (72.76KB , 639x416 , Writefag Inspection.jpg ) [iqdb]
4273
If you are, were, have gone by at one time or another, or in any other way have been at one point in time one or more of the following people:

Ansem
BlackAmethyst/Blamethyst
Blankfag/!T1e/DmU8Jg/Ranmilia/Ted
Cat or Fish?
Chain
Chielsa
Deus Ex
Dr. Doujin
EX Nine/Nine/⑨
Gensokyo Man
Giddy
Grue
Harker
Hopper
HY/Hungry Youkai
keine_sensei
Kirin
KKL
Lute
Max Bialystock
Melancholy/????
Mystia
Norseman
New Age Retro Hippie
Paperboy/Wriggle
Princess Tepes
Scorn
Storyteller
Tetrominon
That guy who writes the Sanae story in Youkai
Thirty Terawatt Satellite Cannon
UN Owen
Virthra
Vodka
Yoshio Yasuo

...And/or were responsible for writing any of the following:

A Zany Miko's Requiem
Luna Ars Memorativa
Reflective and Uneclipsed Reality
(that story with the librarian ghost thing)

...then feel free to thank me (or look at it as doing the site and all who visit it a favor; whichever motivates you better) by heeding the following advice:

GET BACK TO WORK, NIGGER.

I miss you all and the stories you wrote or write. You are not unappreciated, you are not unloved.
I don't care how terrible you (mistakenly) think you were/are or your story was/is; Your negative opinions about yourself and your story are flawed, so don't try and give me any bullshit.
Even if nobody else votes in your stories, I will be there, voting, because I enjoy the things you created. They don't have to be masterpieces. They don't have to be amazing.

They just have to be enjoyable and/or interesting. And before you stopped writing, they were.

That is all.

>> No. 4274
(In before I get complained at for putting/not putting somebody's name on the list, like QWL, who I just now remembered. Also keep in mind that this is a list of stalled/lazy/vanished writefags. If you are keeping relatively current with the updates, then there's no reason your name should be on here. Theoretically.
Also I could have completely missed your name in the archives.)
>> No. 4275
File 127239783669.png - (1.39MB , 1600x1200 , come and sit down; i don`t bite.png ) [iqdb]
4275
Some of the more sure-to-be-commonly-asked questions:

What the fuck was going on and how did this all start?
The Game was just that. It began with a bet between Kanako and Yukari.
Kanako wanted Sanae to be allowed a more active role in youkai control. Yukari is fine leaving it to Reimu. So, they came up with a wager:
If Sanae can demonstrate youkai threat-removal skill superior to Reimu, Kanako wins, because this proves that even in an unprotected, 'lawless' environment, one without the spellcard system to protect her, Sanae can truly hold her own.
Kanako reasons thusly: Reimu's method is sheer brute force. Kanako then seeks to one-up Reimu: rehabilitating and humanizing a youkai is above and beyond the call of duty, and it would certainly prove Sanae's superiority. Not only that: in doing so, Sanae's actions would fulfill the moral spirit of the agreement— youkai extermination. The dangerous youkai side is essentially gone, leaving nothing but a civilized person.

If, on the other hand, the youkai permanently kills herself rather than let this happen, or kills Sanae instead, Yukari wins. She decided from the start to not lift a finger to help the youkai chosen, and act as a mediator, choosing to let the youkai chosen represent herself. She (Yukari) was interested in the outcome of such an experiment, and views it as more of a field test: If the youkai's will is superior, then Yukari's feelings on the matter are proven to be accurate (Gensokyo's matters are best handled by the professionals (read: Reimu), and Sanae is not up to the task). If not, then perhaps it is time for change.
Sanae was very enthusiastic about the idea, once Kanako related the nature of her bet with Yukari to her, and began doing a great deal of research into rehabilitation and treatment of various forms of addiction.
The largest single problem with her approach is that you cannot easily force someone to accept treatment. They must themselves fervently believe that they have a problem, that they need to change, and must genuinely want to change, and be willing and ready to do what is necessary to become healthy again (The instant when that realization really, really hits them is called "A moment of clarity" by the AA people, if I remember correctly). Until then, relapse is almost guaranteed, no matter how happy to comply that they seem.

Everything else is kind of secondary, after that.
Had she approached this differently, Sanae might very well have been successful in her efforts.


How the fuck could Yukari possibly agree to something like that?
Yukari's motivation for this is based in deception, as always. She wins, either way: Not only her win-win situation as it pertains to her bet with Kanako (either her point is proven, or she gets a more competent incident-resolution agent out of the deal), but also because she has been wanting for some time to inspire and motivate Reimu to take more pride in her job, and to be more upbeat and personable. Yukari figures that having Reimu realize her cushy position as Gensokyo's protector is threatened ought to get her a bit more active and giving something like a damn about her work and her duties.
Yukari does this partly because she cares for Reimu, both maternally and to some extent, romantically, but she also wants her to be successful and well-liked by Gensokyo, so that she will one day find someone with whom she can have an heir. This part of it, of course, is because she (Yukari) needs the Hakurei Barrier to remain standing. She wants to stay alive, and wants Gensokyo itself to continue to live. ...So, because of this, she is willing to --seemingly-- sell out her own shrine maiden, in order to actually preserve her, and the world they all live in. This is the mind of Yukari Yakumo at work.


Why did sparing Sanae result in a bad end?
This was due to something that has bothered me about stories, shows, movies, games, and whatnot for years now, ever since I really became aware of it. Specifically, it's the tendency in stories to have the main character show mercy to the villain after he is beaten because it's somehow the "right thing to do," or it's somehow more noble, or it puts them above the bad guy's level, and anything less would somehow be turning to the dark side or whatever.
I can't fucking stand that. If the guy can be redeemed, sure, great, fine. Whatever. But let's face it, that shit never works in real life. It's such utter bullshit to see this ideal of "Oh, you have to forgive your enemies and show them mercy, and this makes you a better person" be constantly perpetuated, without anyone ever questioning it. We all buy into it, because it's essentially all we know.
"Well," said I, "Fuck that."
That is why and how the story turned out as it did. Sanae was made to be someone with whom mercy was simply not an option. I wanted to show you all that the bad guy doesn't always have a sudden and inexplicable change of heart, that there isn't always going to be someone nearby who shoots the bad guy when he attacks the good guy the moment that their back is turned, and that sometimes people just need to fucking die for the horrible things they have done. Especially when the villain will not stop, like Sanae.
A hero should not always be an idealist fighting for justice, or an anti-hero who develops a heart of gold.
Sometimes they just need to do the simple, unpleasant job of ending another, and move on with their lives.


You are a bastard.
That's not a question.

All right, fine then. If that's how you view the issue of mercy, then why'd you have Orange spare her? Huh? Huh? Oh, I fucking got you on that one.
The hell you did. Orange, by nature of who and what she is, cannot help but love Gensokyo and its people. To see someone so well-intentioned and otherwise promising wasted in such a way seemed almost criminal to her. She is naturally inclined to a more benevolent viewpoint, so she saw fit to grant Sanae a little more time on earth.
...After she had been shown the error of her ways. Her timing was very, very intentional.


Who was the voice in the dreams?
Byakuren. Yukari wanted to make absolutely sure she would not interfere, given her position and views on youkai/human interactions.

What were the bean pods Yuuka gave the protagonist?
Yuuka's bean pods are from "the flower of life and death," more commonly known by its latin name plotdeviceus madeitupus.
It is magical in nature, and reacts to nerve impulses and brain chemistry. It grants exceptional vigor, positive energy, stamina, and accelerated healing for up to 10 hours per bean in the pod. However, once the effect is over, the person becomes locked in their own body in a sort of state of living death (sensory deprivation) for 1 day per hour of effect used (which it detects via presence of certain released chemicals). The state of sensory deprivation lasts only as long as it detects substantial brain activity. Dreaming will register as this, and lucid dreamers will burn through it even faster). These numbers are for how it applies to humans, though.
For a youkai, the time scales are diminished on both ends, reducing it to minutes of effect, and mere hours of sensory deprivation.

Totally not (fucking) Senzu beans, see?

What are you going to write next?
For a little while, probably nothing. I need to catch up on schoolwork, and focus on a few other important things. But hopefully within a month or two (ideally?), I'll be starting NiG, which is a story about the first black man in Gensokyo.
I'm kind of worried about how you all will view it, since it's going to be closer to a typical CYOA than this was. Sure, I'll still be the one writing it, so you've still got the same mind at work, but I don't think it's going to be half as strange or interesting as The Game was, and those of you who liked The Game because of that feel may find yourselves a little disappointed with NiG. I hate to let you down like that, but consider this forewarning, or at least potential forewarning. I really don't know how NiG will go down, what with not having written it yet or planned out too much, but I'm just making sure you're all aware of a potential problem that I see as being likely to occur.
No, I am not a racist, nor is this going to be some kind of HA HA HE IS BEING STEREOTYPICALLY BLACK AND THAT IS FUNNY kind of thing done for cheap laughs. Even if it does come across as amusing like that at certain times, that's still not why I'm writing this, and it certainly won't be the main gag.
Oh, and as a fun little thing to look forward to:
NiG will be set about 1-2 years after The Game.

I love your story, but I am appalled at your terrible taste in other stories. I can never love you again. Never.
Liking those stories helped to shape this story, so... I dunno. Fucking get over it? No idea what to say, here.

I thought the seals/curses/bad juju Sanae put on the protagonist were failing. Why did she only think of herself as free after they were gone?
Wow, that's a great question, thank you. It's almost like I was addressing something I noticed people saying frequently in the story, and wanted to comment on, but couldn't because that would reveal the nature of the restrictions Sanae put on her, and used this question as an excuse to finally say something about it! But that would be cheating.
Anyway, the restrictions Sanae placed on the protagonist were done through ofuda that she put on her after the first time she was captured. I don't know why people got this idea they were failing or weakening, because they weren't. They peeled off and flaked away and disintegrated after she was killed because neither she nor her gods were alive to maintain the power that they had.

If you don't know what ofuda are, go google-image it; you almost certainly know what they are even if you didn't know the name for them. And if you ever see anyone translating that as "amulet," you punch them in the fucking face. "Charm" is acceptable, if a bit incorrect. "Amulet" is so unacceptable a translation that it makes puppies and kittens die by the truckload every time another person uses it for this. Don't try to bullshit and say it's technically correct. Technical does not matter. Practical does.

What was Yukari's cover story?
A djinn did it.
No, seriously. The blame was placed on unnamed radical youkai from Makai that opposed the nuclear fusion project, and sought to eradicate the gods responsible for bringing it about. The story was that they'd gotten a djinn from the outside world to bring about a series of disasters to befall the shrine, but they were unable to pay the price asked of them by the foreign monster, which destroyed them utterly. Reimu, alerted to the danger, came upon the creature and destroyed it.
This results in Reimu getting some some hardcore-ness credit for performing an honest-to-god extermination, which she hasn't done in a while. Good PR for Reimu is good for Yukari, too.
She removed all of the bullet holes, lost ammo, and everything else remotely suspicious, ensuring that things will go smoothly.

Does this sound ridiculous? Sure. However, this is Gensokyo. The strange and unusual are commonplace.


Is it me, or does Reimu seem a little bit... weak? What gives?
Yukari has more control over Reimu in this take on Gensokyo, because Reimu has had more or less nobody to look up to as a role model for much of her life. This sort of changes between The Game and NiG, especially after Reimu meets the deity of Hakurei Shrine. Yukari becomes more of a distant mentor to her, at that point, rather than someone to keep looking to for direction.

Shouldn't Sanae's miracle powers have saved her?
They did. Why do you think she's alive? That it pales to her former life and is clearly limited speaks of the severity of the fate she faced that it had to overcome.


....Okay, what else you got for me?
>> No. 4276
(in before people think less of me for a variety of reasons.)
>> No. 4277
Interesting take on your upcoming story.

But what was the story between Kogasa and Sakuya? And what happens between them?

What is the exact story behind Kogasa'a 2nd voice in her head. And Does her friend live happily ever after with Yukari?
>> No. 4278
What kind of black person?

Ghetto or white washed?
>> No. 4279
So much going on in the background here.

One thing that bothered me a bit during the "shoot/don't shoot" vote, if I may be so bold as to make the comparison. When the story opened, the main character had already been "broken". While this is a very effective technique and made her recovery much more distinct, I can't help but wonder how different she was before the whole event started. I know how she changed after Orange, but how did she change after everything?
>> No. 4281
What would've happened if we had decided to go underground really early on?
You said the decision to stay with Ornage when Sanae attacked both of them was not made in vain/insignificant. How so?
How many different personalities did Kanna have? What was the deal with her in general?
What did Suwako think of all this?
Did the Yama put a rush job on Sanae, or is time different after you die?

Thanks for the great story, by the way.
>> No. 4282
As a man who is in fact half black, I look forward to seeing how NiG plays out. Should be interesting, considering the backstory you're working with.
>> No. 4283
I ask again: Fell, if you were a bird, where would you migrate?
>> No. 4284
>>4275
unlimitedspoilerwork
>> No. 4285
Fell, would you hate me if I had Hina as one of the major antagonists in the CYOA I have in the planning stages?
>> No. 4286
>>4285
I dunno about him, but I certainly wouldn't like the idea. Hina just isn't antagonist material without going grossly out of character.

Now for some general remarks:
I was right about those things (The Dream voice and why Yukari didn't seem to do much)
>> No. 4287
What would have the Kana route looked like?

What did Sakuya do?

What is Kogasa's favorite color?
>> No. 4288
How did you go about planning all of this?
>> No. 4289
Why didnt you ever call protagonist Kogasa?
Not even when she told Orange her name.
>> No. 4290
File 127240558891.jpg - (213.70KB , 600x600 , b9506f338116813b1fe9512cdb478220.jpg ) [iqdb]
4290
>>4286
THAT'S JUST WHAT SHE WANTS YOU TO THINK
>> No. 4291
File 127240595843.jpg - (106.56KB , 450x343 , 3fariesshock.jpg ) [iqdb]
4291
What the heck is NiG?

Did Kanako and Suwako survive, and if so, what would the result of lacking a shrine maiden do?

Did Reimu have a clue what was going on?

Would going to the Tengu about shrine maidens torturing youkai have worked?
>> No. 4292
Wow. You already answered most of the questions I had, in far more detail than I would have thought to ask. Still have a few that haven't been asked already, though:

* If the whole thing was a bet between Yukari and Kanako, why did all the other OLD☆LADIES power players of Gensokyo seem to know about it? Was there anyone else in on it that we didn't meet (or met, but didn't realize their complicity)? For that matter, why did Byakuren even stand for such a thing, rather than trying to put a stop to it?
* Any more Indian names for Touhous that you thought up, but we didn't get to hear? Honestly, that aspect of the narration was one of my favorites in terms of characterizing Kogasa as a little off her rocker.
* How off her rocker is Kogasa when she's not being hunted and tortured? Were the scenes with her and Orange during Part 2 more or less reflective of how she was before Sanae started coming after her, or did she used to be even less crazy than that?
* What was keeping Kogasa from thinking about the bamboo forest? (Incidentally, I think it was the scenes with the cracking sounds during the memory recovery sequence that led some people to believe that the seals were failing.)
* At what point along the way did you have everything about the story's plot worked out, and what were the steps along the way? You mentioned that the reference to the bamboo forest in the first post was "pre-undersight", so I assume there was some development still going on during the story itself.
* What would Kana route have been like? Would Orange still have been involved in the final fight, or would Kana have taken her place entirely?
* Was Anon ever stupider or smarter than you expected? Like, say, picking out a piece of foreshadowing you didn't think anyone would notice until a reread after the story was over, or overlooking something you thought was blatantly obvious.

And now that you've said that NiG will be in the same continuity as The Game, I'm not sure that you'll be willing to answer any of these questions, but here they are anyway:

* What happens to Sanae? I mean, yeah, I assume she lives out her fifty years without causing any more trouble, but does she ever recover mentally?
* Any more details on what happen to Orange and Kogasa? Who did the wedding? Any kids? (Adopted or via shady drugs.) Further adventures?
Totally not pushing you to write an "after-story" short, here.
>> No. 4293
Also, did Yukari or Kanako ever expect Sanae to take such drastic measures, and did either oft them even know what exactly happened to Kogasa when she was with Sanae?
>> No. 4294
Thank you. You pretty much answered all the questions i had in mind with >>4275
I must say i agree with
Sanae was made to be someone with whom mercy was simply not an option. I wanted to show you all that the bad guy doesn't always have a sudden and inexplicable change of heart, that there isn't always going to be someone nearby who shoots the bad guy when he attacks the good guy the moment that their back is turned, and that sometimes people just need to fucking die for the horrible things they have done. Especially when the villain will not stop, like Sanae.
I knew that this would turn out like this when i read
>It's kind of a shame she went down the path that she did. I could see myself being good friends with her.
>So fuck her, and fuck what could have been. It didn't happen, and I need to deal with this, the world I'm in.
>Eventually, most just do their job, live their lives, and hope that the day will go well. They hope to contribute something of value to the world around them in one way or another. This, I can respect.
>And it is this dream of the green girl's that I aim to bring down in a terrible, horrific wreck today, burning and smoking as it shatters apart.
Kogasa, or whoever, agrees to a certain level with Sanae's ideals and respects her but she takes the world for what it is. And she does what needs to be done. This part and the thoughts you put behind this was very good done. After all the hate and rage i felt for Sanae while reading through all the threads i just couldn't hate her in the end. It's not because she died or i had pity with her, it's just that i can understand her reasoning and wish to change things, make something better out of the world she lives in. She was no bad guy or villain for me after i finished reading but more of a naive, idealistic and tragic figure walking the thin line between sanity and insanity.
Sanae died a pathetic death. After all her strenght, ideals, conviction and readiness to die for it she was just human. Death is terrifying and everyone fears it. This scene was very emotional and had one of the most impact on the story and you pulled it off perfectly.

Your fight scenes were out of this world. No other story on here can compete with that. It focused mainly on Suwako and Kanakos end was kind of cheap. Just suddenly Kana felt kind of deus ex.

The End had a bit of a mai hime feeling. It is not really that bad because happy ends for everyone is what people want and can accept. I can live with that.

>You are a bastard.
I don't think that you are one. You had a clear goal in mind and finished it. No other story on here made me feel so shit, sad, depressed, happy, mad, angry, pure rage, hate and love than yours. You played with my emotions half of the time and made me feel with the characters.
Alone the final appearance of Sanae with the -clink- -clink- -clink- made my hairs stand up and heart beat faster. The last bit was just drawn out too much.
>I LOVE YOU KANA-MAMA AND SUWA-MAMA!!!!
made me feel really bad because i knew what was to come.

Well, that is all i wanted to say, just one more thing
>I'll be starting NiG, which is a story about the first black man in Gensokyo.
If it is about a gangster rapper or something then i won't be reading it.
>> No. 4295
Oh, and one more thing: why couldn't/didn't Kogasa just pop Sanae's head off like the cap on a pop bottle during their meeting at the concert, while she was still unsuspecting? I assumed it was due to, shall we say, inhaling spores from other plants of the genus plotdeviceus, but the text does sort of hint at an in-story reason.
>> No. 4297
Well, I guess I should start reading the story now that it has finished.
>> No. 4299
>Princess Tepes
>Deus Ex
>Dr. Doujin
>EX Nine
>UN Owen
>Norseman

My heart hurts.
>> No. 4300
W
H
A
T

I
S

H
E
R

N
A
M
E
?
>> No. 4301
File 127242225394.jpg - (637.32KB , 900x900 , Bill O`Reilly is on her shit list.jpg ) [iqdb]
4301
>>4277
>Sakuya
As for what happened between the protagonist and the maid, it may help if you have read "Calvin & Hobbes," because then you might get exactly what I meant when I reply, "It's basically this story's 'The Noodle Incident.'" Which is funny, because I compared it to that in my head a few days before people used that term in Thread 12 or 13 or so.

What happened between them after the story?
No idea.
On an entirely unrelated note, as of the beginning of NiG, Sakuya has acquired a strange fear of umbrellas, and often seems to not have the same stamina that she once did, almost as if she was chronically short of breath.

>The other voice
This has been correctly guessed in the threads at least once, and possibly twice. One of the correct guesses was very, very recent.

>Does her friend live happily ever after with Yukari?
When the protagonist comes to visit Mayohiga, her friend often goes missing for hours at a time during which, strangely enough, Yukari also seems unable to be located, much to the protagonist's irritation. He turns up afterwards warm, untidy, grinning like an idiot, and refusing to talk about it.

>>4278
No idea.
He'll be from LA or around there. Perhaps from Los Ojos or San Pedro.

>>4279
>I can't help but wonder how different she was before the whole event started.
A bit more sharp, a lot less jaded, and somewhat more curious.

>I know how she changed after Orange, but how did she change after everything?
She's a little more shrewd, a little more mature, knows how to cook, and seems to be in the market for chairs. Lots and lots of chairs.

>>4281
>What would've happened if we had decided to go underground really early on?
Koishi and Parsee would have been viable route choices. One of them will also still be such in NiG.

>You said the decision to stay with Ornage when Sanae attacked both of them was not made in vain/insignificant. How so?
The emotional impact would have been far, far greater on her, and she'd have felt miserable for deserting Orange. When she saw that Sanae had captured Orange as well, after waking up, she would have been absolutely wrecked. As a result, she never would have had the dialogue that she did with Sanae, and never gotten that critical insight.

>How many different personalities did Kanna have?
Kana has a great many personalities. About 3-5 appeared in the story.

>What was the deal with her in general?
Her Wiki page tells most of the story. She's prone to/fond of a number of criminal activities, but generally tries to keep it under wraps, as that generally tends to interfere with one's professional career

>What did Suwako think of all this?
Worried about it at first, but unable to argue with the benefits. In the end, she agreed to it.

>Did the Yama put a rush job on Sanae, or is time different after you die?
Yes, time is different.

>Thanks for the great story, by the way.
You and everyone else are welcome.

>>4282
>As a man who is in fact half black, I look forward to seeing how NiG plays out.
I am as cracker as they come, so prepare for disappointment. I'll try my best, though, or what passes for my best.

>>4283
>I ask again: Fell, if you were a bird, where would you migrate?
...I'm suddenly reminded of the SNL Harry Carey interview questions.
"If you were a hot dog, would you eat yourself?"
"...I'm, uh... not really sure how to answer that."
"It's not a difficult question. Just say yes, and we'll move on!"

Only I'm hearing it in that goddamn voice.
>> No. 4302
File 127242238258.png - (343.54KB , 389x466 , you`re making her cry you heartless bastard.png ) [iqdb]
4302
>>4285
Pic related.

You monster.

>>4286 has the right of it.
>> No. 4303
File 127242247962.jpg - (923.30KB , 700x900 , Pleasantly messy.jpg ) [iqdb]
4303
>>4287
>Kana route
Fucking weird. The protagonist would have grown much more unstable, and likely have embraced a more deliberately violent plan of retribution.

>Sakuya
See above.

>What is Kogasa's favorite color?
I don't know. Purple? I don't see what that has to do with this story in any way at all, though.

>>4288
Lots of late night writing, lots of scribbling notes down, and a lot of ruminating while I did the dishes.
There's more to it than that, but... it's planning. You think of your idea, and ask "Okay, so how do things go from here, and why? What do the people involved want? What are they doing? How will they react?" and so on.
But that doesn't really capture the process very well. It's not that you should necessarily be asking yourself those questions for every single thing, but rather, those are the sorts of things that you should already know to begin with. It's not a matter of conscious focus.
Your characters are-- surprise, surprise --people. A given thing happens, and people are bound to react in a given way, depending on what sort of person they are, their views, their history, and so on. But like I said, you should know all that already, since you created them (more or less).
I think I repeated myself a time or two, but... yeah. It's a really broad and unspecific question to ask. I'm terrible at those.
>> No. 4304
File 127242259794.jpg - (1.18MB , 2000x1777 , The morning glow.jpg ) [iqdb]
4304
>>4289
Why would I do that? That's a weird question. You're weird for asking that. Go, go away. Shoo.

>>4291
>What the heck is NiG?
Already covered this.

>Did Kanako and Suwako survive, and if so, what would the result of lacking a shrine maiden do?
Yes. They're gods, after all.
And it is certainly going to set them back a bit. They're working on that, though, as may or may not be seen in NiG.

>Did Reimu have a clue what was going on?
None, until Yukari took her on a little trip to Moriya Shrine one fine early autumn day.

>Would going to the Tengu about shrine maidens torturing youkai have worked?
Nope. That would have been a terrible idea all the way around. Also, *tengu.

>>4292
>If the whole thing was a bet between Yukari and Kanako, why did all the other OLD☆LADIES power players of Gensokyo seem to know about it?
They didn't. The only people that knew were the protagonist, [Moriya Shrine], [Mayohiga], Byakuren, The Prismrivers & Kana, Yuuka, and Orange.

>Was there anyone else in on it that we didn't meet (or met, but didn't realize their complicity)? For that matter, why did Byakuren even stand for such a thing, rather than trying to put a stop to it?
No. And she didn't stand for it; she was made to stay neutral. You can be some pretty hot shit, but when you've got two gods and an elder youkai making sure you don't talk, you generally aren't talking. What little she did to help the protagonist was more or less the full extent of her wiggle room.

>Any more Indian names for Touhous that you thought up, but we didn't get to hear?
Unfortunately, no. I generally thought them up on the spot, and they were often related to the circumstances involved in how the protagonist met them.

>Were the scenes with her and Orange during Part 2 more or less reflective of how she was before Sanae started coming after her, or did she used to be even less crazy than that?
A little of column A, a little of column B.

>bamboo forest
Herself. She didn't want to give anything away, not even to herself, in case Sanae got tired of looking for her on her own and started doing some mind-reading shit. The best-kept secret is one you have forgotten to remember.
>(Incidentally, I think it was the scenes with the cracking sounds during the memory recovery sequence that led some people to believe that the seals were failing.)
Ah, probably. That was the metaphorical shell surrounding the hidden-away thoughts falling apart.

>At what point along the way did you have everything about the story's plot worked out, and what were the steps along the way?
Oh... jeez. I don't know. I had the basic layout in place after a couple months or so, but as each new Part of the story began, I found myself reworking and rearranging some of the specifics... and in some cases, writing down the specifics.
For instance, the original plan for the bamboo forest counterattack included visiting Medicine beforehand and having her gas the area during the immortals' battle so as to further weaken Sanae.
However, not only would this drag yet another person into the protagonist's fight against Sanae, but she and Medicine are opposed to one another on philosophical grounds: The protagonist places value in being useful and believes that things are usually happier when they are able to serve the purpose for which they were designed or created. Medicine, on the other hand, is not so hot on the issue of humans, and by her very nature despises the idea of being used or being treated as an object. So, after realizing that they probably would not get along, I was forced to scrap the idea.

>You mentioned that the reference to the bamboo forest in the first post was "pre-undersight", so I assume there was some development still going on during the story itself.
Pretty much up until the very end, most Parts needed finer planning shortly after they started, so as to adjust to the ideas I had in mind now that I had reached this point, as well as accounting for how the story and the people in it had changed since I wrote the first draft of plans.
The killing of Sanae, plus the scenes just prior (talking to her, human virtues and youkai, mercy is a human virtue, etc.) and after it (Orange punching her and granting her another fifty years with her Helping Hand) were probably the only things that remained relatively unchanged from when I first wrote them. Also, that scene was one of the earliest I came up with.

>What would Kana route have been like?
See above.

>Would Orange still have been involved in the final fight, or would Kana have taken her place entirely?
The latter. It would have been a lot bloodier, a lot more violent, and the protagonist would have gone serious apeshit. It also would probably not have gone as well for her, in the very end.

>Like, say, picking out a piece of foreshadowing you didn't think anyone would notice until a reread after the story was over, or overlooking something you thought was blatantly obvious.
Anon guessed a great majority of the ideas and future events and realities of various situations that I came up with, but never all at once, and rarely ever was there a post that got everything it said 100% correct. But there were certainly a number of 80%-95% posts.
I'm glad that, near as I can tell, nobody saw the Orange punch coming. It's nice to see my readers being clever, but it's no fun if you guys guess everything.

>And now that you've said that NiG will be in the same continuity as The Game, I'm not sure that you'll be willing to answer any of these questions, but here they are anyway:
>What happens to Sanae? I mean, yeah, I assume she lives out her fifty years without causing any more trouble, but does she ever recover mentally?
>Any more details on what happen to Orange and Kogasa? Who did the wedding? Any kids? (Adopted or via shady drugs.) Further adventures?
Totally not pushing you to write an "after-story" short, here.
You may or may not see. If you don't, by the time it's over, I'll tell you.

>>4293
>did Yukari or Kanako ever expect Sanae to take such drastic measures
Yukari, no. Kanako, not quite.

>did either oft them even know what exactly happened when she was with Sanae?
A fairly good idea, and yes.
>> No. 4305
File 127242267995.jpg - (578.64KB , 800x700 , the price is wrong.jpg ) [iqdb]
4305
>>4294
Thank you, but...
>naive, idealistic and tragic figure walking the thin line between sanity and insanity.
Um, no. Sanae was fully aware of what she was doing. There's nothing sad or tragic about her character. She wasn't misguided; she was doing a good thing, just in a very, very bad sort of way, but it was the way she believed to be most effective.
That's another thing I wanted people to get that they seem to miss easily: Sanae was never crazy. She knew what she was doing, and did it quite deliberately.

>Just suddenly Kana felt kind of deus ex.
It would be deus ex machina if she came out of nowhere, except that she'd been waiting the whole goddamn time. Plus, any sort of effectinve DeM sure as fuck doesn't get fucking romped like she did, it solves the whole problem.

>>I LOVE YOU KANA-MAMA AND SUWA-MAMA!!!!
>made me feel really bad because i knew what was to come.
Then it worked.

>If it is about a gangster rapper or something then i won't be reading it.
...Yes, because every black guy is a gang member and/or rapper. Also, all white Americans are blond, blue-eyed, and live in Texas, New York, or Hollywood.

>>4295
>Oh, and one more thing: why couldn't/didn't Kogasa just pop Sanae's head off like the cap on a pop bottle during their meeting at the concert, while she was still unsuspecting?
If the school bully who said he's goign to beat seven kinds of fuck out of you is coming your way, you could theoretically pick up a chair and slam it into his face.
But the reality of the situation is that your scrawny ass is going you're going to be far, far, far too busy thinking "Oh shit oh fuck oh shit oh fuck he's coming this way fuck fuck fuck fuck FUCK" to do anything like that.

It's about the same sort of thing.

>>4297
That'd be a good idea, sure.
>> No. 4307
And if my reply-wording seems a bit unsteady, I'm sorry. My car got stolen out of the train station's garage, but it'll probably turn up in a few days (especially since it had about an eighth of a tank of gas).

By the way, Honda Civics and Accords? Apparently the easiest cars to steal. Enjoy that fun little factoid, all 6 of you who actually own any kind of car at all.
>> No. 4308
File 12724247554.jpg - (68.19KB , 410x308 , Brofist_Marisa.jpg ) [iqdb]
4308
>>4275
Good show, sir.
Good fucking show.

...Just had to get that last one out of my system.

I originally had plenty more to say here, but the gentlemen who wrote >>4292 covered all of it, and more. So I'll just convey my desire that you address as mu-and you just posted your answers as I was writing.

Well purely for the sake of contributing something with this post, I will say this: Black Hand of Slap was, is, and always shall be my favorite nickname for any Touhou character, ever. It is my opinion that Kogasa should let her good friends, The Prismrivers, in on the secret that is her little collection of nicknames, as there is no justice in the world until several of the better ones have been woven into song. No justice, I say.


>>4273
Pic related.
Keep fighting the good fight; I'll be reading, voting, and rallying writefag moral right alongside you.
>> No. 4309
On the subject of our mysterious protagonist's nicknames, could we have a list of them? With who's who, of course.
>> No. 4310
As somebody who is on that expansive list, someone who has felt personally "crucified" on THP (as at least one other has put it), and someone who knows there's other writers who feel the way I do, I have to say something about the writers who've just stopped.

It may not be the case for everybody there, and I doubt it is, but I've found myself feeling like... Kind of like an old stuffed animal, with tears and marks from childhood, that's been left sitting in the attic to collect mold and dust. No matter how I look at it, there'll always be new toys to replace me, which will be showered with more love then I was.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to play myself off as a tragic case, I'm merely using a parallel of how I feel. After some amount of time writing here, it just kind of feels like you aren't important anymore, like the novelty of your being here has worn off.

It just kind of feels like THP doesn't care about their older writers, or those who've been here since the beginning. It isn't a hunger and thirst for unnecessary attention; it's a human necessity that's lacking. Your old writers need you to let them know that they're cared for, and for you to work with them to keep things fun. Otherwise, all the fun and flavor of story writing here is sucked out, and all that's left is a hollow shell of a former writer. In the worst cases, it may turn out like YAF, who strove for what he thought was the ideal writing style and plotline which turned out to be something merely pretentious that he cared about and nobody else did. Admittedly, he wasn't very bright and lacked maturity. That may be why he was so quick to degrade in that way, though.

To sum things up, I'll speak on my own behalf. It just feels like we're placeholders that fill a temporary role, and once we get older, we're promptly replaced with new favorites. It feels like people only care about ZUN's characters, and not the stories and situations that we put them into. With the feeling that nobody cares about your own personal interpretation of a character, location, or event, writing these things just becomes so empty and unrewarding.

Thanks for opening room for the topic, Fell. It really needs to be addressed.
>> No. 4311
What's NiG short for? It's probably obvious, but might as well ask if it isn't what I'm thinking.
>> No. 4312
>My car got stolen out of the train station's garage
Damn. Sorry to hear that.

>There's nothing sad or tragic about her character.
This reminds me of one more question: how the hell did Sanae end up the way she is? I mean, yes, you could say she's sane, in a sense; she's capable of reasoning and understanding cause and effect and wasn't hallucinating. But Sanae was positively gleeful at pretty much every opportunity to hurt Kogasa that she got, and no matter how certain she was that youkai were somehow less valuable than humans, she knew they were sapient, and the being she was so inventively torturing looked human enough that anyone with a shred of empathy would have at least been uneasy. What happened in Sanae's past that made her okay with jumping rope with intestines?

>>4310
I can't figure out who you are, which means I can't address your situation specifically, so I guess I'll say the same thing I said in DEFT anon's thread in /shrine/ and hope it's relevant: if you're feeling unloved, like people are just reading your story out of habit and bandwagoning rather than bothering to think about what to do, quitting is not the answer. If you explain your feelings to your readership (which may feel like whining, but it's not quite the same thing), you will find that some of them do appreciate your story in a substantial way, and will go to great lengths to alter their behavior if it means that you'll keep writing.
>> No. 4313
>>4310
What that guy said had some nice points, but people are prone to bandwagoning and such as to get writers to update more. The fact people tend to drop their stories so often ends up affecting Anon to the point where they're jaded and bitter about stories, to the point of not reading anything at times.

But if you feel your readers aren't giving the story the attention they deserve, tell them. It's not communicating that causes the most problems.

Fell has brought some of that old spirit back with his drive to write. He would be the last person I'd ever call lazy. He managed to make his story artistic yet down to earth. The worse thing that could happen is people mimicking his style of choices in a half-assed fashion.

>When the protagonist comes to visit Mayohiga, her friend often goes missing for hours at a time during which, strangely enough, Yukari also seems unable to be located, much to the protagonist's irritation. He turns up afterwards warm, untidy, grinning like an idiot, and refusing to talk about it.

I wouldn't mind giving him a high five, even with his tongue.
>> No. 4314
>>4310
As someone who also writes on here, I sympathize with your feelings as much as I think that you're writing for the wrong reasons.

>No matter how I look at it, there'll always be new toys to replace me, which will be showered with more love then I was.

You're basing your self-worth as a writer too much on what others think. I know that sounds stupid to say with respect to the medium of CYOAs, but you’re never going to have success in writing for other people if you don’t first write for yourself. Whether they’re learning to write or masters of the craft, whether they’re writing for fun or writing for money, there isn’t any improving or flourishing author who isn’t self-motivated.

That’s why my advice to you is this, older writefag:

If you want people to care about your writing, then you need to be the first among them. That sounds like an inspid cliché, I know – but it’s not. Look at precedent. Whether it’s HY or Blankfag or Fell or Fallout Guy or Palingenesia Anon, the very best writers on the site put their whole mind and creative energies into their work, and it shows in more than the quality. The readers palpably feel their determination and emotion through the words, which is why they respond to them. You can’t and shouldn’t expect a similar enthusiasm unless you’re willing to invest as much effort or more.

Have you ever heard of the saying ‘him who sows in sorrow will reap in joy?’ Writing’s like that. Yes, it’s sometimes hard. Yes, it’s often thankless. But if you put forth your best and win through to the end, you’ll never fail of a reward.

Don’t give up and keep trying.
>> No. 4315
Two more questions for Fell:

Several times, including during the chat with Yukari just before leaving Mayohiga, it was mentioned that Kogasa's connection to her friends was that of a heavily modified shikigami ritual. Did you expand upon this in your notes, or is it just there to explain how those three can work together as they do?

For curiosity's sake, do you have a final word count and other miscellaneous statistics about the story?
>> No. 4316
File 12724378806.jpg - (26.28KB , 400x300 , Anonwilllookupandshout-ComeBack.jpg ) [iqdb]
4316
I’m another writer on that “wall of shame”, and I deeply apologize beforehand if this post is a little scathing. I’m just calling it like I’ve seen it.

First off, I want to remind you all that us writers do NOT live on the internet. We have real lives, and I’m sure many of us are struggling with college or with full-time jobs. Writing on THP is not something that is going to put food on the table, pay the bills, or finish the schoolwork for us. It is a pastime, albeit a very enjoyable and rewarding one I must say. But when real life becomes more real, you have to understand that we can’t just keep writing through the thick and thin of it. When our free time gets cut for whatever reason, we have to carefully pick and choose what we do with it. And sometimes THP is not as high on that list of priorities as you would think. This is what happened to me, I know that it was a major contributor to what happened to HY, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the sole reason more than half those writers are on that list up there. I’d ask you to cut them some slack, eh?

But to get to the point… Your request is, “Old writefags, please come back!”

My response is, “Why should I?”

Do we need to write on THP to survive? As I said before, this isn’t a job, it’s not a school course, and it’s not even a club. This is something all of us writers do because we feel like doing it, for our own reasons. We’re not getting paid, and we’re not getting any special privileges. We’re not getting anything external except the knowledge that anonymous people on the internet enjoy and praise our work. Even the era of our beloved drawfags giving us fanart has faded away into obscurity. And frankly, that is hardly an incentive to write.

Now yes, I agree that many writers, myself included, write simply because they love to write. It’s fun for us, just like playing a game might be fun for someone else. It lets us create worlds and put all our ideas and dreams down into physical being. If we’re not satisfied with the latest movies or the newest video games, we have the power to remake it as we choose. And I assure you that this is a damn good reason by itself for me to write. But that doesn’t mean I need to do it on THP. I can open a notebook and write whatever I feel like whenever I feel like; in fact I already have, and it’s a far deal more liberating when I’m not constrained to another’s’ creations.

We give you our words. Our sweat, our tears, our very souls, and hundreds upon hundreds of hours at a glaring computer screen. And what do you give us back? “GET BACK TO WORK, NIGGER.” “Updates, plz?” “(Insert Touhou here) is crying, Writefag. She wants you to write for her. You wouldn’t want her to be sad, would you?” Every single one of those comments instantly negates the ten comments before it of how much you love our words and our characters. Praise is cheap. Criticism is expensive. You act like we owe it to you to write, for the good of the Touhous and for the good of THP. We do this because we want to, because we are kind enough to give our stories to you. If anything, you owe us.

>>4312 and >>4313, your points are valid. However, they only apply to writers still plodding along on the site, not to those of us who’ve already stopped writing. There’s plenty of us who no longer have any stories to go back to, and in the current climate of THP, that means the people who once cared about us—our specific readers—have already moved on to reading other stories, and trying to “explain your feelings” becomes infinitely harder when the people who caused us problems in the past are no longer around to listen.

I don’t care how pessimistic this sounds, but Anon as a collective being does not care about the writers of THP, no matter how much cheap praise they utter. >>4310 hit it right on the head. Anon, plain and simple, just wants to see their favorite characters doing things, whether they be funny, cute, awesome, or sexy. Why do you think the #1 debate at the beginning of nearly any story with a male protagonist is what “route” to go on? Why do you think people always secretly (sometimes openly) want a harem “route” and sexual promiscuity? It’s because Anon wants to see whatever characters they like the best at a given time. And they’ll latch on to whatever writer will give it to them. The plot, the setting, the supporting cast who never gets a spot in the limelight; it’s all background details once Anon has effectively “route-locked” themselves. Why do you think original characters catch so much flak from everyone? Because they’re stealing the spotlight from the Touhous, the “main attraction”, regardless of whether or not they’re significant to the story, or even have deeper characters than the girls do.

Please, please understand that with the previous paragraph I am NOT demeaning the ability of a single person to care. Fell, I’m quite certain that you believe every word you’ve said, and that you really do want all the old talent to come back. I thank you for that, I really do. And I’ve seen plenty of posts in my time that I can tell without a doubt came right from the heart. They’ve moved me to tears more than once. I know that each and every one of you individually have the propensity to feel for us writers as fellow human beings, and understand where we come from when we explain things to you. The individual reader is not the problem. The collective being of Anon is the problem. Anon panders to the lowest common denominator, and is responsible for the worst that comes from this site. But because 95%, if not more, posts come from Anon, anything good Anon says is either attributed to the precise individual who said it rather than the collective, or simply swallowed up and forgotten in the sea of choppy sentences, sexual innuendos, trolls, and rage wars.

See, the question that has been posed to us former writefags is NOT “Why did we stop?” The question is “Why don’t we come back?” And the answer is because Anon doesn’t need us to come back, and therefore doesn’t care if we live or die. We’re the old generation, and you’re living in the new one. All that we did is still being done today. We were heroes once. We saved the world for you. And when the world was saved, we left it, our work finished. Now new heroes are saving the world, whether we want it to be that way or not, and whether we join them or not. It’s the way things are. There will be no shortage of patriots; no shortage of volunteers. I know you understand.

>>4314, you have said many good things, but the point I (and I think >>4310 as well) am trying to make is that our problem isn’t with what we’re writing, it’s with where we’re writing. We give a lot, and Anon only gives back a little, if even that. Do you think we as writers enjoy it when after three hours of writing all we see is a string of one-sided votes with no commentary at all?

Speaking for myself, I know that my heart’s in the right place when I write. But it’s difficult to pick up the pen for you again when I know all I’m going back to is a mass of Anon who don’t have a heart for anything other than a cast of characters I didn’t even create. And let me tell you, it’s a rare thing when a writer manages to characterize a Touhou well enough to where their personalities and backstories are actually deep enough to get recognized by Anon past their clothes and established fanon memes. Is this what writing is supposed to be about? I love the girls too, but the girls aren’t mine; the story is, and you don’t even care about it past those hats and lacy dresses.

I don’t belong in this world any more, and it was not by my hand that I am once again given to text. I was called here by Anon, who claimed they wished to pay me tribute. Hah, tribute? Anon steals writers’ souls, and makes them their slaves, but perhaps the same could be said of all religiously-followed anonymous boards. Their words are as empty as their soul, and Anon ill needs a savior such as me.
>> No. 4317
Few things bothered me:
1. What would happened If Kogasa stayed in the booth at the end of part one instead of trying to make a break for it?
2. For some odd reason I thought there was a Mystria route. Heh.
3. It's been a long time and I forget, but wasn't heading towards the Forest of Magic an option too...
>> No. 4318
>>4310

The stuffed animal analogy might have held more water if it weren't for the fact that we WANT to play with that toy, but it has hidden itself away somewhere by choice. Its not like abandoned you to go onto better things. Unless we did. Then... sorry? Hard to make any comments without knowing what story you wrote.

Fell: You and the fallout writer were the primary cause of my getting only a couple hours of sleep before finals. Thanks a lot. Jackass.

Good job on making the distinguished "Actually fucking completed their story" list. Never doubted you from the moment you started it.

Question: Did "Kabuki" ever do that interview?
>> No. 4319
>>4316
People get fixed on routes because so few continue to write, and most stories are written with such things in mind, true to their VN roots. There is art and there's popular stuff. Things like this, Fragment of Memories, AGLA and Crue's stories are on the artistic side, where routes are only spoken of in the few dull moments of the plot.

And there's popular Fluff like GH.

>Why do you think original characters catch so much flak from everyone?

Only poorly made characters like Mitori catch flak. Characters such as David, Nemo, Belonymous are remembered kindly by those that read their stories.

But you point about life getting in the way is true, but about your remark about people moving on. If you start writing again people will respond, look what happened when Harker updated after all that time, anon responded very kindly. But there are some who are more prone to spend a great deal of the generous time they do get doing anything but writing.

The reason why anon looks towards the new is that as a whole, the old guard failed them badly. And it seems most of said guard has no intent on redeeming themselves in this regard.

I'm sure of one thing you didn't do: communicate with Anon about this; a common flaw of the old guard. I wonder if you even told them of the "indefinite hiatus" you put your story on or not.

Characters? The typical writer rarely tries to make an a character beyond the standard. It's hard enough seeing characters that aren't fanon abominations.

As I think about it, The Game succeeded because it was not a by the numbers grab for attention story, but something with a definite drive. I'm sure if it wasn't popular, Fell would still be at it. I think this story as far as completed stories go, is the most polished and refined of them all.

>>4318 has a point, it's hard to really do much if no one makes clear who and what stories are being talked about. The way I see it, it's basically a massive "You suck" to anon. We have a few writers that basically do that, but in a far more witty fashion, from the "Don't Read This!" Writer to Teruyo's pieces on the matter.
>> No. 4320
>>4316
It's nice to see time hasn't dulled your insanity. Never change, Owen.
>> No. 4321
>>4320
Is that so~? Things would make a great deal of sense then. Mainly how he doesn't admit to his missteps. ASSM is right up there with DoLF when it comes to "what NOT to do in a CYOA"

But to be more on topic, >>4312 's question:
>This reminds me of one more question: how the hell did Sanae end up the way she is? I mean, yes, you could say she's sane, in a sense; she's capable of reasoning and understanding cause and effect and wasn't hallucinating. But Sanae was positively gleeful at pretty much every opportunity to hurt Kogasa that she got, and no matter how certain she was that youkai were somehow less valuable than humans, she knew they were sapient, and the being she was so inventively torturing looked human enough that anyone with a shred of empathy would have at least been uneasy. What happened in Sanae's past that made her okay with jumping rope with intestines?

That and Kanako's role in her mindset for I doubt Sanae got the way she ended up by herself.

I doubt anyone'll forget your Kogasa, Orange, Sanae and Kana. Your Yukari too, due to a few things, among them, actually having people think of "Hot Gap-Youkai on Umbrella action" or variations of that.
>> No. 4322
>>4316
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that Anon dehumanizes writers and ignores their stories, except as they happen to portray their favorite characters. You then go to great lengths to dehumanize Anon and ignore their contributions, except as they further your story. Every post is made by a real, live person; not just the ones that offer constructive criticism or contribute in the form of write-ins, but the bandwagons, the shitstorms, and the calls for writers to return to their writing. None of those real, live people were intending to do you a disservice. Even if they weren't capable of giving you something you could use, they gave what they could, and thought it would help, and you're giving them a nice, big "fuck you" when you say that an "Updates, plz?" post is a step backward.

Now, it's possible that you genuinely don't like those people who can't contribute something of value to your story. You may think that your writing is wasted on those who do not or cannot be bothered to think beyond "this is my favorite Toohoo; moar of her plz." In a sense, you would be right -- good writing does deserve good reading, and a nontrivial portion of Anon does not or cannot provide that.

But I have sad news for you: the composition of Anon is the composition of the world. I wonder -- when you become a published writer, will you will burn fan letters that offer no substantiative criticism or analysis of your work? Will it make you angry when people dress up as your main character and argue that everything she did was morally just when you intended her to be a deep, complex character?

If it would, if you believe that true works of art should be enjoyed strictly by those capable and willing to fully understand them, then I hope you don't ever go to eat at a five-star restaurant or buy an expensive bottle of wine, because I suspect you are no gourmand and no sommelier. By limiting distribution of your work to 'true artists', you are engaging in a what amounts to a very subtle and destructive circle-jerk.

But I'm putting words into your mouth. There is the possibility that you would have no problem with mass popularity. Maybe you just believe that the specific composition of THP is tilted toward poor readers. If this is the case, I would encourage you to ride a very tall elevator, striking up conversations with people as they enter, and keep a tally of your observations. Once you're done, come back to THP, and calculate a ratio of good posts to bad posts.

You will find, I suspect, that the world at large is filled with people who simply do not enjoy thinking very hard, and that THP is, if anything, enriched for that rare sort that is capable of forming and expressing an opinion. You may not want to write for Anon anymore, but the plain fact of the matter is that when you write for the world, you're writing for Anon, whether you believe it or not. If, by your standard, Anon "doesn't care if you live or die" while you're writing, then rest assured, the world would barely even notice you exist.

Lastly, and this is a huge reach, but I can't stop myself from trying: you are Tetrominon, and I claim my five pounds.
>> No. 4323
...Or it could be Owen. I was thinking >>4310 was Owen, but I might be precisely backwards, now that I think about it.
>> No. 4324
>>It feels like people only care about ZUN's characters, and not the stories and situations that we put them into.
>>Anon, plain and simple, just wants to see their favorite characters doing things, whether they be funny, cute, awesome, or sexy.

That's the way it is with any fan-made work, though, isn't it?
It doesn't matter if it's writing or drawing or music or whatever, when you get right down to it the main reason people are interested in it in the first place is because it's related they already know and like. If it's actually good, then so much the better, but that's not their primary concern.

Hell, it isn't even limited to fan-works. Have you never watched a movie purely because a particular actor was in it, regardless of how good or bad the movie itself was?
Similar principle. It's just how people are. Most people don't care what new stuff a musician has done since he had that one hit single way back when, they're just interested in hearing that one song.

You can control where you perform, what you perform, and even to whom you perform to some degree, but you can't really control why your audience likes you or your work.
There's nothing wrong with being unhappy that your readers aren't enjoying your work for the reasons you wish they did, but the sad reality is that's simply the nature of the beast.

Though, personally, I would say it's best to simply accept that and hope there are at least a few who do look beyond things like "Character X is in this one, and she's so MOE", but if you can't or simply don't want to, then quitting is a perfectly fine option.

Which brings me to the other point I wanted to touch on.
>>No matter how I look at it, there'll always be new toys to replace me, which will be showered with more love then I was.

>>...Anon doesn’t need us to come back, and therefore doesn’t care if we live or die. We’re the old generation, and you’re living in the new one. All that we did is still being done today. We were heroes once. We saved the world for you. And when the world was saved, we left it, our work finished. Now new heroes are saving the world, whether we want it to be that way or not, and whether we join them or not.

First of all, regardless of who you are or what you wrote, I have absolutely nothing but respect for you and everyone else on that list for taking the time you did out of your lives for the sake of entertaining some faceless strangers on the internet. Regardless of what I have or have not read or liked, the simple fact you made the effort to make something that others might enjoy and then put it out there for them to see is something I truly admire.
You were not merely putting out some cheap, disposable entertainment, you were sharing something special with us. You gave us your time. You gave us your thoughts and ideas. You were, essentially, sharing parts of yourself.
Naturally, as the one giving so much out, the decision on when to start or stop lies solely with you. If you decide that stopping is what's best, for whatever reason, then so be it.

That said, I can't help but feel that those particular particular reasons feel somewhat like a cop-out.
Yes, it is natural for the old to be replaced by the new, but that doesn't mean there is neither a place nor a desire for the old at all, even well after the new stuff has taken over. Vinyl records have not gone away just because CDs and mp3s have long since replaced them. Older bands can still pack stadiums even when there are plenty of newer ones out there (some even performing songs the older bands originally created).

You might not be able to get by doing things exactly as you did them back in the day, but the changing of the times doesn't have to mean you get left behind. You just have to be willing to adapt. It's no guarantee that you'll actually succeed, but at least it wouldn't be for lack of trying.

If you just don't want to, that's fine, and is as good a reason as so many others are. It's just that particular sentiment, that "I'm not needed anymore because someone else has taken my place," that bothers me, just as it bothers me when someone claims they aren't needed because "there's already someone who's much better" or whatever. It shouldn't matter if you're new or old, if you have something you want to put out there, you should be able to.

There is probably something more I want to say, but I am currently too tired to think straight. If anything I said is wrong our out of line, I apologize.
>> No. 4325
File 127245187250.jpg - (303.83KB , 1024x768 , eafe2d4376517a6e6bb3a6cc99b1c153[1].jpg ) [iqdb]
4325
>>4324
BACK ON TOPIC!

Fell! Or Anyone!

Can anyone upload a full archive of the saved threads? Someone's BOUND to have saved them! Right?

Right?!
>> No. 4326
>>4316
>See, the question that has been posed to us former writefags is NOT “Why did we stop?” The question is “Why don’t we come back?” And the answer is because Anon doesn’t need us to come back, and therefore doesn’t care if we live or die.
Bitter, aren't we? I can assure you that there are many people waiting for the "old and forgotten, not of any use anymore" writers to come back and write again. Not because they want certain characters but because they want THEM to write their Touhous. What the old warheros have in mind for them and not someone else.

Or in short. They want them to write the story because they enjoy it only from them.

Your point may be valid for some but hell, not, for, all.
Until this day i am still waiting for the old writers to come back and resume where they left ot. Because i enjoyed what they write, what they thought up and put to words. I once again would like to see it come to life.



I would sacrifice 3/4 of the current writers if ** came back to writing.

But this will never happen.
>> No. 4327
Just how many voices did Kogasa have in her head? I think it was three, but maybe I was getting confused.
How did they show up? I get the impression that her friend was the first, but what about the other two (one?)? They kind of showed up later in the story, but Kogasa didn't seem to make a big deal out of them suddenly showing up.
>> No. 4329
>>4302
Oh ho, now I know I have to do it~

Also, antagonist != evil.
>> No. 4330
>>4322
I was guessing him or HY. They're the only two that have such complete and utter hate for Anon, and have no problem talking about it.

I was also thinking maybe Ran, but Ran is loopy and well-intentioned, not loopy and bitter. Owen doesn't seem this hateful about the whole thing, either, so I'm not putting my money on either of those two.

The funniest part of all this is how >>4316 seems to have only read the "HAY GUYS WRITE MORE" part of the roll-call, and not the parts that followed (which seemed to be the kind of thing he wanted from his readers).
>> No. 4331
>>4329
She's still far too nice and helpful in nature to ever be an antagonist.

>>4330
You'd be the only one then. Popular opinion has that Owen left the site after being frustrated with how Anon did in his story. His story was a rare case of unlikable OCs, which he flooded the story with. Most folks have the sense to limit to it 1-2; one Lead, and possibly one Fairy or Rabbit. Not about 3-4 Dimension hopping Mary Sues.
>> No. 4332
One thing I found rather odd was the way Sanae reacted when the protagonist started to fight back and attempt to actually hurt and/or kill her. Did she seriously not expect that the supposedly dangerous youkai she was working on might eventually start harboring deep feelings of resentment and hatred towards her as a result of what she was doing, and possibly act on those feelings? Did no one else think to alert her to this possibility? Or did they all just think the protagonist was not nearly enough of a threat to even worry about such a thing happening?
>> No. 4333
>>4331
>She's still far too nice and helpful in nature to ever be an antagonist.
You're assuming protagonist = good.
>> No. 4334
>>4332
>Or did they all just think the protagonist was not nearly enough of a threat to even worry about such a thing happening?
This. They thought she would just be a little youkai no one cares about and too weak to fight back.
Plus, she had help from other people.
>> No. 4335
File 127247926462.jpg - (309.88KB , 700x548 , zap pop zoom bang pow.jpg ) [iqdb]
4335
>>4308
>Keep fighting the good fight; I'll be reading, voting, and rallying writefag moral right alongside you.
Glad to hear it.

>>4309
>On the subject of our mysterious protagonist's nicknames, could we have a list of them? With who's who, of course.
Someone came up with a list in one of the threads after another person asked essentially the same question, but I forget where.

>>4310
I think whatever I didn't say about that immediately after the name list has been said (or possibly said better) by >>4312 and to some extent, >>4314 .

>>4311
Apparently it was never meant to stand for anything at all, and questions like that were precisely why that was chosen. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it's the answer I like best.
But even so, it's only a placeholder title.

>>4312
Good question, and I'd kind of like to know the answer, myself. Faith and relentless drive put together makes one helluva drug, I suppose.
That, and the assurance that the person is going to get better anyway.

>>4313
>He would be the last person I'd ever call lazy.
I was going to say "Man, you don't know me at all." But then it occurred to me: when it came to this story, I wasn't lazy (for the most part). I was motivated, and enjoyed the hell out of writing it. In fact, sitting down and writing became one of the high points of my day during these last few months.

>>4315
>heavily modified shikigami ritual
Rather than binding a separate being to her, the protagonist bound their souls into her own, and merged them together. They remain semi-distinct, but are part of a larger whole. Her existence is technically a conglomerate one, sort of.
Originally, there was just the protagonist, who was a youkai that liked to surprise people. However, she always felt a little lonely, but liked being able to go where she wanted all by herself. Being somewhat bright, she lucked learning of the shikigami ritual, and grew rather interested in it. However, having a bunch of people tagging along wasn't quite what she wanted, and so began to consider an alternate version of the ritual, modifying it greatly. After a while, she began to look around for interested parties.
Her underline-speaking friend agreed to the ritual because he looked at it as sort of a retirement plan. He was completely willing to forego a separate material existence, and ride along inside her head, offering her his powers (and along with that came some of his characteristics and habits; they sort of bled over into her). He was the first.
Her other friend, the italics-speaker, still maintains a material existence, but one that is largely dependent on her. He continues to share headspace with her, though, and offered her a greater share of his own powers as a way of compensating for the partial integration. She bound him to her because he seemed rather lonely, something with which she sympathized.

The protagonist herself is still basically the original youkai of surprise, but has many of her distinctive habits, features, behaviors, and views are due to the influence of those two.

Thank you for asking that. I'd come up with all this a while ago, but wasn't ever sure I'd get a chance to explain it.

>For curiosity's sake, do you have a final word count and other miscellaneous statistics about the story?
I do not. I never really kept track of such things. Too busy writing and thinking.

>>4316
...There is no yukkuri big enough to express how easy you need to take it.

None.
>> No. 4336
>>4330
You would be surprised how quickly bitterness can set in. He was never much one to communicate with Anon, either, and may have been harboring such feelings for some time. Either way, I still want RaAN to continue.
>> No. 4337
File 127247940212.jpg - (529.30KB , 1000x1600 , glaussy.jpg ) [iqdb]
4337
>>4317
>stayed in the booth at the end of part one instead of trying to make a break for it?
Sanae would have come upon the protagonist and Mystia, and put two and two together. Extremely Bad Times would have then ensued.

>For some odd reason I thought there was a Mystria route. Heh.
Sorry.

>It's been a long time and I forget, but wasn't heading towards the Forest of Magic an option too...
I think it was, but there may have been a few times. When, exactly?

>>4318
>You and the fallout writer were the primary cause of my getting only a couple hours of sleep before finals. Thanks a lot. Jackass.
We try.

>Good job on making the distinguished "Actually fucking completed their story" list. Never doubted you from the moment you started it.
Thanks.

>Did "Kabuki" ever do that interview?
INTERVIEW'S CLOSED DUE TO SANAEIDS

>That and Kanako's role in her mindset for I doubt Sanae got the way she ended up by herself.
Well, when you grow up with a vicious, ambitious mother figure, sure, things are going to rub off on you, to say the least. And when said mother figure is your god, there's going to be a bit of them in you, for sure.

>I doubt anyone'll forget
This is both a good and a bad thing.

>>4325
>Can anyone upload a full archive of the saved threads?
Sure, once I get back home. But that'll be in a few hours.

>>4327
>Just how many voices
Probably just two.

>How did they show up?
See above.

>>4329
I'm frowning quite hard.

>>4332
It's due to a mix of confidence ('I can take her if she does.'), and looking at the bigger picture for too long ('Surely she'll stop when she sees that it's in her own best interest.'). What caught Sanae off-guard was what seemed like a complete 180 on the 'progress' she made with Orange.
>> No. 4338
File 127248492885.jpg - (868.81KB , 1500x1700 , you`re very clever young man very clever.jpg ) [iqdb]
4338
>...There is no yukkuri big enough to express how easy you need to take it.
Not in this universe, perhaps. Pic related.

>I'd come up with all this a while ago, but wasn't ever sure I'd get a chance to explain it.
Anything else you'd like to be asked?
>> No. 4339
>you`re very clever young man very clever
>infinite yukkuri chain
I see what you did there.
>> No. 4340
>>4339
I don't. Can I get a hint?
>> No. 4341
>Sanae would have come upon the protagonist and Mystia, and put two and two together. Extremely Bad Times would have then ensued.
Oh GOD no...and yet...
>> No. 4342
>The only people that knew were...
I guess what I mean to ask, then, is "How did Byakuren find out?" And as long as I'm asking, does Kogasa ever find out that it was her behind the dream messages?

>>4340
The hint would be "Google it". The answer, on the other hand, is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down .
>> No. 4344
Updates at /sdm/, /border/ and /forest/!

In seven minutes.
>> No. 4345
>>4344

At least you're still around
>> No. 4346
>>4291
>Did Kanako and Suwako survive(...)?
In ZUN's world, gods don't die until they don't have enough remaining faith to manifest their divine virtues.

Kanako has said that the whole Youkai Mountain is her place of worship, and being there brings her faith from the youkai that live on and in it. She'll probably be fine, after awhile of licking her wounds.

Suwako, however, is likely to be in much more of a bind. The Moriya shrine was her place of worship, and with it wrecked and lacking a functional miko, it'll be a hard time for Suwako to keep from disappearing. I suspect she'll have some support from the kappa, but not much else.

What say you, Fell?

>>4301
>as of the beginning of NiG, Sakuya has acquired a strange fear of umbrellas, and often seems to not have the same stamina that she once did, almost as if she was chronically short of breath.
>"...rip her lungs out..."
Nice touch.
I imagine it might have made relations with the in-laws a bit tense for awhile, though.

>>4305
>That's another thing I wanted people to get that they seem to miss easily: Sanae was never crazy. She knew what she was doing, and did it quite deliberately.

The way I see it, the two concepts are not entirely alien to one another. The phrase "mad genius" comes to mind.
Having the ability to process and reason things quite well, but being unable (or unwilling) to take in new or more accurate data from the world, or likewise unable/unwilling to revise one's theory based on such, amounts in my mind to one fashion of crazy or another.

Being crazy may merely limit the scope of one's ability to think and reason, rather than warp or eliminate it.

From Kogasa's POV, Sanae is "ultra-sane". I get that. Thing is, Kogasa's a bit off the rails herself, and - being a youkai - doesn't exactly have human thought processes in the first place, thus, her assessment of Sanae's place on the sliding scale of Sanity and Not Sanity is automatically suspect and cannot be trusted from an objective standpoint.

My own perspective judgment, as part of your appreciative reading audience, is that they're both a dozen crisps shy of a bag.

Even when sufficiently motivated to do so, it takes a certain kind of bonkers to dedicate your life to ending that of another specific individual.

In the same way, when your duties entail torturing a sentient being for hours and then playing catch-and-release, lather-rinse-repeat, culminating in a kill order, and you accept these duties and go about them with such eagerness... Well, nobody in the world would be right to call you mentally well.

But really, debating their sanity is sort of missing the point entirely, like winding up in Wonderland and launching an investigation into why the Cheshire Cat has stripes, and why he smiles a lot. They are what they are. Youkai attack humans, exterminators beat the tar out of youkai. One could argue Gensoukyou is already a batshit crazy place, where man-eating beasties of myth and legend and the heroic humans (of same) live together, and both sides have learned to chill the fuck out over a cup of tea. There's not really a "moral" to it, and the lines aren't so clearly drawn. It's not that kind of story.

>>4308
>Black Hand of Slap was, is, and always shall be my favorite nickname for any Touhou character, ever.
Seconding this. When I first read that, I couldn't help non-stop mulling it over in my head, and every time it brought a stupid giggle out of me.
Also, it would make a good garage band name.

>>4340
The pic is a Discworld (parody? reference? something like that, can't think of the word).

__
Now, for my own questions. Minor ones these are, as most of those I wanted to know the answer to, have already been asked and answered.

* Where did the idea of having Mystia only able to read Korean come from?

* What has happened/will happen to the Prismrivers? We didn't get much word at all about them after being caught out by Sanae.

* What became of Kana afterwards?

* If Orange's/Kurenai Touko's power is to amaze, what is Meiling's? This is assuming it's anything more than simply manipulation of chi, of course.

* Did Kogasa ever manage to tell Yuuka her real name?
>> No. 4347
File 127256375242.jpg - (137.12KB , 600x900 , sittin` in a tree; c-u-r-s-i-n-g.jpg ) [iqdb]
4347
>>4338
>Anything else you'd like to be asked?
There might be, and probably should be, but nothing else is springing to mind.

>>4341
>Oh GOD no...and yet...
>and yet
ಠ_ಠ

>>4342
>How did Byakuren find out?
Yukari telling her she wasn't to interfere was a pretty big part of it, I would guess.

>ever find out that it was her behind the dream messages?
Byakuren did the wedding, so... she might have. Probably.

>>4344
>Updates at /sdm/, /border/ and /forest/!
Hoora--
>In seven minutes.
Aww.

>>4346
Ah, there you are. Was wondering if you were ever going to show up.

>Suwako, however, is likely to be in much more of a bind.
If they are encountered in NiG, you'll find out they're working on that issue.

>I imagine it might have made relations with the in-laws a bit tense for awhile, though.
What does that have to do with anything?
I said the Sakuya thing it was on an entirely unrelated note.
Entirely.
Entirely.

>Seconding this.
I'm surprised people liked that so much.

>Also, it would make a good garage band name.
Quite.

>Where did the idea of having Mystia only able to read Korean come from?
In Mystia's interview in Bohemian Archive, Aya suspiciously asks Mystia if she's unable to read, and Mystia keeps dodging the question, and people have assumed that this means she's illiterate. That struck me as complete and utter bullshit, what with her being a business owner and all. Not being able to read Japanese seemed much more likely, however.
Japan's never really been too chummy with Korea, and knowing only Korean seemed to be something one might be ashamed of in a world composed almost entirely of Japanese-speaking people.
And illiterate or not, helping out Mystia seemed like a quick and easy job to give to someone on short notice, especially since the requirements aren't too strict.

>What has happened/will happen to the Prismrivers? We didn't get much word at all about them after being caught out by Sanae.
Because the protagonist left the audio tent, Sanae didn't associate her with the show and the Prismrivers, and assumed she was there just to try and blend in with the crowd.
The Prismrivers were never suspected of harboring her.

>What became of Kana afterwards?
Sanae, in her terror, assumed (rightly) that Kana was covered by the protagonist's "look funny at us and I will end you" threat. Kana continues to sing with the Prismrivers and commit the occasional felony and misdemeanor.

>If Orange's/Kurenai Touko's power is to amaze, what is Meiling's? This is assuming it's anything more than simply manipulation of chi, of course.
I hadn't really thought of that, and I should have. If it helps at all, Asatsuki Dou's "Scarlet Devil" (as well as the sequel, "Working at the SDM") is more or less canon for Meiling's history in this story.

>Yuuka, name-telling
The protagonist herself probably didn't, but Yuuka likely found out anyway. Whether it was from Yukari or she just has her ways, she probably knows.
It's not a big deal, though.
>> No. 4348
>Whether it was from Yukari or she just has her ways, she probably knows.

Don't you mean she heard it through the grape vine?
>> No. 4349
File 127256988782.jpg - (221.34KB , 450x550 , i`d reap a bumper crop from her tracts of land.jpg ) [iqdb]
4349
>>4348
The grape vine is part of someone else's domain.

Which reminds me (I may never run out of questions at this rate): what, exactly, was in the letter we had Shizuha deliver to Sanae? Was Shizuha troubled at all by everything that went down on the mountain? For that matter, did Kogasa ever see her again?
>> No. 4350
File 127257257146.png - (457.29KB , 700x756 , hinrar.png ) [iqdb]
4350
>>4347
I'm pondering whether I should ask you about the archives again.

A tidied up version would be nice too, if you could spare a few minutes.
>> No. 4351
The protagonist was an OC, right?

Is that why you keep dodging parts of questions that refer to her as Kogasa?
>> No. 4352
>>4351
Of course not.
It's Nue.
>> No. 4353
File 127258317977.jpg - (203.52KB , 600x800 , The Seven Minute Itch.jpg ) [iqdb]
4353
>>4350
Oh, goddammit. That's right, I'm sorry. Been a just a wee bit more than a few hours, hasn't it? Here you go. Again, apologies.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2h2taxzqzmj
>> No. 4354
>>4353
You really love Hina. Maybe you should give her more love in your stories.


Or her own story.... but less darker and more lighthearted.
>> No. 4356
>>4345

Lies. I am already dead.

And nothing of value was lost.
>> No. 4357
File 127260030024.jpg - (458.70KB , 800x1139 , a8c71fdbd9761961b780e2bc19c02831.jpg ) [iqdb]
4357
>>4354
Hina's always kinda creeped me out.
Although it's not really her fault.
I read all of Uzumaki right before I first played MoF. Just bad luck, I suppose.
>> No. 4358
>>4354
inb4 she's a route choice in NiG
>> No. 4359
>>4358
Sadly, she won't be. Neither will Letty, Eirin, nor Eiki, just to name a few of my other top favorites. In fact, I'm quite surprised at who will have routes. It will be a very strange mix.
>> No. 4360
File 127260393325.jpg - (61.84KB , 300x203 , TOUHOUHOUHOU.jpg ) [iqdb]
4360
>>4357
>Just bad luck, I suppose.
>> No. 4361
File 127261094133.png - (26.45KB , 257x227 , kogasaboo.png ) [iqdb]
4361
>>4353
Hurrah! Happy dance!
>> No. 4364
>>4273
It's amazing how you always forget about me..
:<

I HATE YOU!
>> No. 4366
>>4364
who?
>> No. 4367
>>4366
newfaaaaaaaags
>> No. 4368
>>4364
But we love you Saguya.
>> No. 4369
>Ah, there you are. Was wondering if you were ever going to show up.
At this point, I might as well make a career out of being late on the scene.

>I said the Sakuya thing it was on an entirely unrelated note.
Ah, not going with the typical relation between Meiling and Sakuya, then. Fair enough.

>In Mystia's interview in Bohemian Archive, Aya suspiciously asks Mystia if she's unable to read, and Mystia keeps dodging the question, and people have assumed that this means she's illiterate. That struck me as complete and utter bullshit, what with her being a business owner and all.
It wasn't all that uncommon in Japan before the 20th century for owners of small food businesses to be unable to read, just like most of their customers. Literacy wasn't half as important as being able to count, since the menu was something the stall-owner could just recite to their customers, and not much else besides money and supplies mattered.

It seems a bit odd to me that in such a place as Gensoukyou, Mystia might have had a way to learn Korean without learning Japanese. It'd be like being born and raised in Mexico, and speaking Mexican Spanish, but only being able to read German.

>And illiterate or not, helping out Mystia seemed like a quick and easy job to give to someone on short notice, especially since the requirements aren't too strict.
Very true.
>> No. 4376
Fell, what is your stance of calling an ofuda a talisman?
>> No. 4378
Homing Seals? Too aquatic.

Homing Talismans? Too lengthy.

Homing Ofuda? That's not even a fucking translation.

Homing Charms? Does absolutely noting to explain what the 'charms' are doing, aside from being a part of a complete breakfast.

Homing Amulets? Amulets are something you would expect to ward off evil in a more passive sense, but take this together in the context of the similarly understated 'persuasion needle' and we have two nice euphemisms for ruining a youkai's entire day.
>> No. 4380
>Amulets are something you would expect to ward off evil in a more passive sense
Actually, so are ofuda. Ordinarily, you take one and stick it on your house every year to ward off evil; this image of Shinto priests throwing them around like holy party favors is, to the best of my knowledge, a relatively recent development. The main problem with translating 'ofuda' as 'amulet' is that amulets are generally meant to be carried around, whereas ofuda are generally meant to stay put. (Omamori, on the other hand, are meant to be carried around, and I would translate 'omamori' as 'amulet' basically 100% of the time.)

The English word that matches 'ofuda' best is probably 'ward', but that's so overloaded with other meanings that it won't always make the best translation. Honestly, ofuda is a word you may just be better off leaving untranslated sometimes.
>> No. 4381
>Actually, so are ofuda.

Yes, that would be because they're synonymous.

>The main problem with translating 'ofuda' as 'amulet' is that amulets are generally meant to be carried around, whereas ofuda are generally meant to stay put.

Unless they're sealing amulets. Given the context of hurling stacks of them at supernatural beings, I would say that's a reasonable assumption to make.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. They're not referred to as ofuda or omamori in the game descriptions of the shot type. Rather they're 'ホーミングアミュレット' which is katakana that transliterates to 'hoominguamyuretto'—simply engrish for 'homing amulet'.
>> No. 4382
>>4273
>>4299

I finally managed to kick college to the curb. Updates tomorrow!
>> No. 4383
>>4381
>Anyway, it doesn't matter. They're not referred to as ofuda or omamori in the game descriptions of the shot type. Rather they're 'ホーミングアミュレット' which is katakana that transliterates to 'hoominguamyuretto'—simply engrish for 'homing amulet'.
All that means is that ZUN himself did the translating, and that he fucked it up. Wouldn't be the first time, and it won't be the last.
>> No. 4386
So is question time over, or did you just miss >>4349?
>> No. 4393
File 127298958060.jpg - (318.72KB , 941x674 , One last look behind.jpg ) [iqdb]
4393
>>4386
Well, most of them have petered out, so... yeah. And I did forget, I'm sorry. However, NiG Resentment has started, so there's that to look forward to. I will still check this occasionally, though, so don't think I'll never read this again.

>>4348
Well played.

>>4349
>i`d reap a bumper crop from her tracts of land.jpg
It would be a healthy, hearty harvest, indeed.

>The grape vine is part of someone else's domain.
And even better played. Not quite as clever, but nevertheless correct-ish.

>what, exactly, was in the letter we had Shizuha deliver to Sanae?
Something unpleasant, partially obscene, and intentionally designed to seem as if accidentally giving away where the protagonist was at.

>Was Shizuha troubled at all by everything that went down on the mountain?
Well, yeah. Very few people weren't. However, Yukari's cover story was more or less widely accepted, so very few people know the truth of the matter. I think I covered that part earlier.

The protagonist and Shizuha didn't meet again soon afterwards, but that means little or nothing, since the future is always in the making.

>>4351
She probably wasn't.

>>4354
I wouldn't be able to do her a quarter of the justice she deserves. It's a pity Tetro went nuts, because my Hina love is due almost entirely to him (the rest is due to Vodka, who keeps/kept us sustained with more Hina in the meantime.)

>>4356
Yeah, no. Authors aren't allowed to judge the worth of their own stories or themselves, because they're invariably skewed badly (Although it's even worse when it goes the other way).

Get back to work.

>>4361
A terrible image and an unhappy comic.

>>4364
In after.

>>4369
Yep. It's not pre-20th century anymore, though.
>It'd be like being born and raised in Mexico, and speaking Mexican Spanish, but only being able to read German.
Didn't a whole bunch of Nazi war criminals escape to Mexico and Central/South America?

>>4376
Omamori seem more talisman-y.

>>4378
>>4380
>>4381
Doesn't change a thing. Amulet still sucks as a translation, because amulet hasn't effectively meant much beyond "magical thing that goes around the neck" for a good long while. You can be technically right and even have the dictionary agree that it theoretically qualifies as a definition until you're blue in the face, but if people aren't correctly envisioning the reality of the situation through the words that a translator chooses to use, then the translation sucks.
The point of translation is to make the meaning, feeling, and intent come through, not just to flip words around according to what the dictionary says.

>>4382
Hooray!

>>4383
My mission is clear. I need to deck Zun the next chance I see him.
>> No. 4394
File 127300254030.png - (430.77KB , 687x339 , kogasapop.png ) [iqdb]
4394
>A terrible image and an unhappy comic.
...
>> No. 4395
>>4393
>A terrible image and an unhappy comic.
aw comon
>> No. 4396
File 127302517127.png - (29.39KB , 336x336 , 19345274819374.png ) [iqdb]
4396
>>4393
>A terrible image and an unhappy comic.
Sounds perfectly suited to your story.
>> No. 4397
>>4394
>>4395
Oh, calm down. I'm just saying, it's a terrible picture of her. If you feel the strange and inexplicable need to post Kogasa in this thread for whatever reason, make it something I can stand to look at.

Plus, that comic seriously sucked.

>>4394
This is cuter.

>>4396
Haters gonna hate.
>> No. 4398
>>4397
Actually, I liked it. I just can't see something like that without my trollkin heritage showing through.
>> No. 4399
>>4397
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I thought it was great.
>> No. 4409
>>4273
I posted. It's a bit difficult for me to do so, but I do what I can when I can.
>> No. 4427
>>4396
butthurt Sanae fag
>> No. 5594
>Why did sparing Sanae result in a bad end?
>This was due to something that has bothered me about stories, shows, movies, games, and whatnot for years now, ever since I really became aware of it. Specifically, it's the tendency in stories to have the main character show mercy to the villain after he is beaten because it's somehow the "right thing to do," or it's somehow more noble, or it puts them above the bad guy's level, and anything less would somehow be turning to the dark side or whatever.
>I can't fucking stand that. If the guy can be redeemed, sure, great, fine. Whatever. But let's face it, that shit never works in real life. It's such utter bullshit to see this ideal of "Oh, you have to forgive your enemies and show them mercy, and this makes you a better person" be constantly perpetuated, without anyone ever questioning it. We all buy into it, because it's essentially all we know.
"Well," said I, "Fuck that."
>That is why and how the story turned out as it did. Sanae was made to be someone with whom mercy was simply not an option. I wanted to show you all that the bad guy doesn't always have a sudden and inexplicable change of heart, that there isn't always going to be someone nearby who shoots the bad guy when he attacks the good guy the moment that their back is turned, and that sometimes people just need to fucking die for the horrible things they have done. Especially when the villain will not stop, like Sanae.
>A hero should not always be an idealist fighting for justice, or an anti-hero who develops a heart of gold.
>Sometimes they just need to do the simple, unpleasant job of ending another, and move on with their lives.

Well that about sums up my opinion on this matter... Great story bro! You reealy dragged out the fighting part but hey I'm not one to complain about it if something like this is the end result. Any other complaint I might have? Yeah I think we already cleared that... Thanks for the ride!