[Return]
Archived thread

File 122465032165.jpg - (77.50KB , 705x599 , forest_of_magic.jpg ) [iqdb]
8975 No. 8975
Testing Server Connection.
Connection Resolved.
Loading Scenario: Day 2, Morning

Option Selection Mode: On
Custom User Input: On
Parallel Threading: On

>> No. 8985
File 122466329768.jpg - (18.87KB , 259x390 , wriggle2.jpg ) [iqdb]
8985
Loading User Commands:
[X] "Come on, you're hurt. At least let me help you."
[X] Carry her on your back and head to Kourindou. You can probably get some help there.

---

"Come on, you're hurt. At least let me help you," Anon says.

"E-eh?," the girl manages.

"Let me see that," Anon says. He maintains a polite smile as he walks closer.

"Just go away!," she shouts. As she cringes again in pain, a tear flows down her cheek.

It doesn't look like she can stand, much less fly. Anon kneels down and examines her leg carefully.

"Hmmm, I'm not sure, but it looks like you twisted your ankle pretty badly. Hope nothing is broken," Anon says.

The girl just stays silent. Anon sighs.

"Don't you look at me with pity, you dirty human!," she says. Her spirit is quite admirable.

Anon sighs and bends down to lift her up. She quickly pushes him away.

"Don't touch me! I'll kill you!", she says.

"I'm heading to Kourindou. I think we can find something for your leg there," he says.

"Yeah, the owner there is a kind person. But why should I trust you?" the girl retorts.

Anon pauses. She may look like a little girl, but Marisa said that even weaker youkai can easily overpower a human. He needs to say something convincing.

"That's because I'm a magician," Anon says.

Hearing this, her face turns white. The girl tries to crawl away, but she makes little progress due to her injury. Anon rubs his temple in irritation.

"I said I'm here to help, dammit!," he shouts. "If I wanted to hurt you, I would already have done so. Now do you want some help or not?"

The girl pauses and looks back at Anon. She nods slowly as she wipes the tears from her eyes.

"Alright, then hold on tight. Hang on to these while we're walking," he says as he passes her the staff and book.

Like an obedient child, she takes the items and holds on. With the girl on his back, he starts walking towards the path.

"So what's your name?," Anon says.

"Wriggle," she whispers.
>> No. 8987
File 12246644449.jpg - (12.99KB , 256x226 , wriggle3.jpg ) [iqdb]
8987
The walk to Kourindou is long, so Anon starts talking to Wriggle. It takes a few minutes, but soon she opens up.

Her full name is Wriggle Nightbug. She is a firefly youkai with the power to manipulate other bugs. She can summon various kinds of bugs to assist with her danmaku attacks, and is among the few humanoid youkai living in the Forest of Magic. She can even control insects that can't be seen by normal humans and animals. Most of the time, she travels with a few of her other youkai friends as she wanders the Forest.

"I heard from Mystia the other day that there was a crazy guy wandering around the Forest of Magic. When I heard that he was a human, I just laughed it off. I mean, humans are pretty weak compared to us," she says lightly. "But after seeing it myself... he was really strong, and he was crazy. He attacked for no reason at all. I can see why even the other youkai and the fairies in the Forest are afraid of him."

Anon nods politely. If he can defeat a youkai, he most certainly isn't an ordinary human. He continues walking forward as they talk. He expects they should arrive at Kourindou in a few more minutes.

"Hey, what's your name? You haven't told me your story, Mr. Magician," Wriggle says.

He pauses. He can probably talk about a few more things.

[ ] Give her a name. Specify.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 8989
File 122466474594.jpg - (185.73KB , 413x720 , 122274704276.jpg ) [iqdb]
8989
Server Archive now available at:
http://magical-rhapsody.blogspot.com/
>> No. 8990
File 122466661741.jpg - (318.61KB , 1280x800 , ginko.jpg ) [iqdb]
8990
>She can even control insects that can't be seen by normal humans and animals.

Mushi?

[x] "Ginko."
>> No. 8991
File 122467548177.jpg - (370.94KB , 827x1114 , odin_2.jpg ) [iqdb]
8991
[ODIN] "I am known as Grimnír."

awesome.jpg
>> No. 8993
{X} "I am known as Grimnír."

awesome.jpg
>> No. 8994
[X] "My name's Timothy Treadwell."
>> No. 8995
[x] "Ginko."

Okay.
>> No. 8996
[x] (something) Gray or Grey.

The other two have "Gray" or something like that as a surname. Might as well make it all three.
>> No. 8998
[X] "I am called Charlie Gray."
[X] "And if I'm right, Kourindou should be just a jump to the left."
[X] Put your hands on your hips and think for a moment.
[X] "Or perhaps a step to the right? Oh dear."
>> No. 9000
[x] "I am known as Grimnír the Grey."
>> No. 9001
File 122468989253.jpg - (13.10KB , 336x336 , awesome.jpg ) [iqdb]
9001
>>9000
This is awesome. Also the 9000 GET has spoken.

[x] "I am known as Grimnír the Grey."

Oh, and a wizard did it.
>> No. 9002
[x] "I am known as Grimnír the Grey."
>> No. 9008
[x] "I am known as Grimnír the Grey."

I can definitely get behind this.
>> No. 9010
[x] "I am known as Grimnír the Grey."
I approve.
>> No. 9013
>"I heard from Mystia the other day that there was a crazy guy wandering around the Forest of Magic. When I heard that he was a human, I just laughed it off. I mean, humans are pretty weak compared to us," she says lightly. "But after seeing it myself... he was really strong, and he was crazy. He attacked for no reason at all. I can see why even the other youkai and the fairies in the Forest are afraid of him."

FUiG Anon, the Final Boss?
>> No. 9014
>>9013

But Mystia was raped and died, so yeah!
>> No. 9015
>>9013
CYOA crossovers? Do not want.

[£] "I am known as Grimnír the Grey."
Gandalf was based on the character of Odin in his Old Man form, if I'm not mistaken. Do want.
>> No. 9021
File 122475821613.jpg - (36.27KB , 485x537 , rinnosuke.jpg ) [iqdb]
9021
Loading User Commands:
[X] "I am known as Grimnír the Grey."

---

"I am known as Grimnír the Grey," he says.

Wriggle gives him a puzzled look. Clearly, she doesn't understand the reference.

"That sounds like a name for an old man," she says. "I'll just call you Grim for now!"

"W-w-what the hell? Don't give me such a macabre name like that!"

Wriggle cocks her head and smiles.

"I think it's cute," she says.

Grimnír sighs. "You could at least call me Grey or something," he mutters to himself.

"Hey, it's Kourindou! We're almost there!"

Wriggle jumps off his back and runs a few steps toward the shop.

"Didn't you hurt your leg?" Grimnír asks.

Wriggle turns around and sticks her tongue out at him.

"It was all better a long time ago. Youkai heal a lot faster than humans, you dummy!"

She runs off giggling like a little girl. Looks like she enjoyed being carried all the way to Kourindou. Grimnír's back aches in protest, but he manages a forced smile. He rubs his back as he follows the little youkai down the path.

As he approaches the antique shop, he is reminded of a junkyard. Various items are stacked in unorganized piles outside of the building. He can see various items from the outside, such as refrigerators, mannequins, and lead pipes. He even spots what looks to be a vintage World War I plane, though he doubts that it can fly.

There are several items that he can't identify; seems like he stocks things that aren't from the Outside as well. But while the shop certainly stocks an extensive variety of items, hardly anything looks useful or practical. Does the owner simply like collecting anything that looks interesting?

The building itself is quite large, perhaps the size of a warehouse. However, the place is dwarfed by the sheer piles of odds and ends that surrounds it. It takes Grimnír a while before he spots Wriggle waving by the entrance. The two enter the shop together.

Grimnír spots a man inspecting a television set. The man mutters something they can't understand before standing up. Before he can say anything, the man turns to face them.

The man is wearing strange, foreign clothes; there are some unusual symbols and designs embroidered on the black and blue outfit. A small bag is hanging on his chest. He is holding a book open with his left hand. He has short silver hair, golden eyes, and is wearing a pair of spectacles.

"Welcome to Kourindou," he says. He has a disinterested expression on his face.

"I am the owner, Rinnosuke Morichika."

[ ] Custom
>> No. 9030
[ ] Nice television set. You pick up the BBC from here?
>> No. 9033
>>9021
Requesting awesome write-in. Preferably one that doesn't involve triggering his mannosuke form.
>> No. 9034
[x] Introduce yourself as a new acquaintance of Marisa and Alice.
[x] Ask about his wares
[x] Gossip about "that crazy man with a trident" that wanders around the forest, and if Rinnosuke had any encounters with such a man, since it will most likely be in your best interests to avoid him.
[x] Put on hold for when you're leaving: Ask for directions to the Human Village.
>> No. 9036
[x] Introduce yourself as a new acquaintance of Marisa and Alice.
[x] Ask about his wares
[x] Gossip about "that crazy man with a trident" that wanders around the forest, and if Rinnosuke had any encounters with such a man, since it will most likely be in your best interests to avoid him.
[x] Put on hold for when you're leaving: Ask for directions to the Human Village.
[ ] Ask him to teach you about his Beam weapons.
>> No. 9038
[x] Introduce yourself as a new acquaintance of Marisa and Alice.
[x] Ask about his wares
[x] Gossip about "that crazy man with a trident" that wanders around the forest, and if Rinnosuke had any encounters with such a man, since it will most likely be in your best interests to avoid him.
[x] Put on hold for when you're leaving: Ask for directions to the Human Village.
>> No. 9039
>>9021
Man, what the fuck.

I saw the thumbnail and thought for a minute it was Meiling blowing Link.
>> No. 9049
[x] Introduce yourself as an acquaintance of Marisa and Alice.
[x] Ask about his wares. Offer your services in showing how a few Outsider items are used in exchange for some goods.
[x] Ask about "that crazy man with a trident" that wanders around the forest. Ask if he knows what the trident does.

Let's get some free stuff and information out of Rinnosuke by poking him the right way.
>> No. 9050
>>9039
ಠ_ಠ
>> No. 9060
File 122484745760.png - (80.15KB , 350x400 , rinnosuke.png ) [iqdb]
9060
Loading User Commands:
[X] Introduce yourself as a new acquaintance of Marisa and Alice.
[X] Ask about his wares
[X] Gossip about "that crazy man with a trident" that wanders around the forest, and if Rinnosuke had any encounters with such a man, since it will most likely be in your best interests to avoid him.
[X] Put on hold for when you're leaving: Ask for directions to the Human Village.

---

"I'll be visiting Mystia now," Wriggle says. "Bye Rinnosuke! Bye Grim!"

She hands over the staff and book, then leaves. She waves as she flies off above the tree line.

"Grim?," Rinnosuke repeats. He looks mildly amused.

"Grimnír to be exact. I'm an acquaintance of Marisa and Alice. They told me that you deal in goods from the Outside."

"I trade in a multitude of things from the Outside. Thanks to my supplier, I have no lack of inventory. She is quite eccentric though," he says.

Rinnosuke leads Grimnír deeper into the store. The inside is more organized, though it still retains that warehouse feel.

"So what are you looking for," Rinnosuke asks.

"Something that augments or focuses magical energy would be useful. I heard you deal in magical items as well?"

"Ah, so you are the newcomer that Marisa mentioned. Unusual for her to talk about someone other than herself."

They continue walking, passing by several piles of goods. They seem to be sorted by their function; candles, flashlights, and lightbulbs are all in one pile, while matches, lighters, and blowtorches are in another. There are no prices attached to the goods, perhaps he doesn't accept currency?

"So what were you doing with Wriggle? Unusual of her to be around humans."

"I found her injured in the Forest of Magic, so I helped her out a bit. She said she was attacked by some crazy guy. I didn't see it though."

"The villagers have nicknamed him the 'Trident Lunatic'. He attacks travellers and even wild youkai. No one knows why he does it."

Rinnosuke pauses. He has a serious expression on his face.

"If you meet him, just run. If he can beat Wriggle, he is a lot more powerful than the Shrine Maiden gives him credit for."

Rinnosuke leads him into a smaller room. If it didn't have a bunch of boxes inside, he would have thought it was an office of some kind. Rinnosuke gets behind a wooden desk and takes something from a drawer.

"Take this. It will help focus your energies."

He hands Grimnír an ornate looking silver bracelet. Grimnír examines it closely. Engraved on it is a serpent biting its own tail. He looks back at Rinnosuke, puzzled at his actions.

"Don't misunderstand this. That isn't a gift," he says. He gives Grimnír a sly smile.

"What do you mean?"

"Right now, you aren't carrying anything of interest to me. However, I find that magicians tend to bump into items of value."

Grimnír replies in silence.

"Don't worry about it for now. Just help me out sometime when I'm looking for certain things," he says.

Grimnír gives him a nod as he pockets the bracelet.

"Excellent. Now our business today is complete, I believe you should head to the village. Just continue straight on the path."

Rinnosuke leads him out of the building, his expression unreadable.

[ ] Head to the Human Village.
[ ] Head back to the Forest of Magic.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 9061
>He hands Grimnír an ornate looking silver bracelet. Grimnír examines it closely. Engraved on it is a serpent biting its own tail. He looks back at Rinnosuke, puzzled at his actions.

Ouroboros?

[x] Head to the Human Village.
>> No. 9062
[x] Thank him.
[x] Head to the Human Village.
>> No. 9063
{X} Thank him.
{X} Head to the Human Village.
>> No. 9066
[x] Thank him.
[x] Head to the Human Village.
>> No. 9075
[!] Thank him.
[!] Head to the Human Village.
>> No. 9076
File 122493307944.jpg - (115.75KB , 512x768 , trail.jpg ) [iqdb]
9076
Loading User Commands:
[X] Head to the Human Village.

---

After thanking Rinnosuke, Grimnír heads for the Human Village. The forest starts to thin as he follows the path. The trees and bushes around the area begin to look more ordinary and harmless.

Grimnír pulls out the bracelet he received from Rinnosuke. He notices that there are tiny symbols engraved around the serpent figure, but he can't read the language. Perhaps he can only understand languages that are currently being used in Gensokyo.

He wears the bracelet on his wrist and begins chanting a few words, but nothing happens. He sighs as he continues walking. Learning magic is a lot harder than he first thought.

Suddenly, Grimnír sees something rustling in the bushes. He pauses, holding tightly to the staff in case it is some wild animal. However, he calms down when he sees the creature fly into sight.

If not for it's size, it looks no different from a young girl wearing a colorful dress. About a foot high, it flutters around with its semi-transparent wings. It is wearing a hairband in its hair, and it has a carefree expression on its face.

"And what might you be?" Grimnír asks as he approaches closer.

The creature looks at him in surprise, then darts back into the thicket. Grimnír sighs.

"Must have scared it," he mutters.

However, the creature returns just a few moments later. Accompanying it are five or six similar looking beings. Looks like it called its friends. They flutter around the area, darting back and forth toward Grimnír. Are they curious as well. Grimnír watches this odd dance as they form a circle around him.

If it weren't for their innocent expressions and their graceful movements, he would think they were trying to surround him. "They wouldn't attack," he thinks. But as if to prove him wrong, the creatures stop fluttering randomly. A small globe of light begins to form in each of their hands.

Before he can say anything, globes float toward him from every direction. He manages to dodge them, but his cloal gets singed in the barrage. He looks up to see the creatures preparing to fire again.

This looks bad. They don't look like they can be reasoned with.

[ ] Attack them using your staff.
[ ] Block the globes using your staff.
[ ] Try to use offensive magic.
[ ] Try to use defensive magic.
[ ] Wait for a chance to run away.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 9077
[x] Try to use defensive magic.

Trial by fire.
>> No. 9078
[X] Block the globes using your staff.

It is a manly staff, so I know this will work.
>> No. 9079
[x] Try to use defensive magic.

Psi Shield Ω
>> No. 9082
[x] Try to use defensive magic.
>> No. 9091
[†] Try to use defensive magic.
>> No. 9108
File 122504643246.jpg - (123.32KB , 500x375 , blurry_forest.jpg ) [iqdb]
9108
Loading User Commands:
[X] Try to use defensive magic.

---

"For beginners, closing your eyes often improves concentration," Grimnír recalls.

He closes his eyes and tries to clear his mind of stray thoughts.

"Chant the command words while taking steady, relaxed breaths."

He controls his breathing and mutters the command words like a mantra.

"Visualize a wall or a fence. Think of the strength of the earth: patience, balance, and stability."

He imagines in his mind a great earthen wall enclosing him form all sides.

"Focus your energies and release them with that single thought in mind."

He opens his eyes to see a strange blur form around him. But before he can react, the globes of light fly toward him from all sides. All that registers in his mind next are a bright flashes of light and an incredible amount of pain. He crumples to the ground in pain, his clothes heavily singed. Only the pain reminds him that he somehow survived the barrage.

[~Ahahahahahaha! You really expected that to work?]

The creatures laugh loudly as they continue to circle him. Suddenly, the largest one calls out to the others in a language he can't understand. They gather together in front of him, giggling and smiling mischievously. They seem to be playing some sort of morbid game with him.

[~Pathetic. You can do much better than that.]

"Fairies sometimes play tricks on humans, but they rarely attack people," Marisa said back then.

[~They are going to kill you. Don't doubt that for a second.]

This is way beyond the level of a prank. They look like they are ready to kill. Grimnír manages to stand up, but he is forced to lean heavily on his staff. He won't be able to take another hit like that. His eyes are starting to blur. He feels like he will fall unconscious soon.

[~Maybe I'll give you a hint, just to make this a bit more interesting.]

The fairies break from their huddle and hover in a group right in front of him. They raise their hands, forming globes of light once again.

[~Empty your mind completely. Release your energies with just that - a blank thought]

Grimnír braces himself.

[ ] Try to use defensive magic again.
[ ] Try to use offensive magic.
[ ] Try to use _____ magic.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 9111
[x] Try to use _____ magic.

Whatever you say, voice in my head.
>> No. 9114
[†] Try to use defensive magic again.
>> No. 9116
[ ] Try to use _____ magic.
>> No. 9117
>[~Empty your mind completely. Release your energies with just that - a blank thought]

[x] Try to use _____ magic.

I have no regrets; this was my only path.
>> No. 9120
[x] Try to use _____ magic.
>> No. 9124
[ ] Try to use _____ magic.

Grim specializes in non-elemental magic?
>> No. 9125
{X} Try to use _____ magic.

Sounds fun~
>> No. 9126
[x] Try to use _____ magic.
>> No. 9150
No, no, you're doing this wrong.

[ODIN] Cast the fifth Rune.
>> No. 9151
>>9150

You're updating it wrong.
>> No. 9153
File 122514310140.jpg - (1.27KB , 207x201 , black.jpg ) [iqdb]
9153
Loading User Commands:
[X] Try to use _____ magic.

---

Grimnír closes his eyes once more and attempts to clear his mind.

[~Let go of despair]

Calmness. Acceptance. Peace.

[~Let go of the world]

Blank. Emptiness. Essence.

[~Let go of the self]

Selfless. Absence. Void.

[~Let go of everything]

.

He opens his eyes and the moment seems like an eternity.

It is not the knowledge of the universe, nor the understanding of all things. It is not the wisdom of history, nor is it the soul of man. It is not the comprehension of laws and omens, nor is it the strength of the mind. But he can see it all - the threads that bind this world called Gensokyo together. He can see beyond it - threads that weave in and out of this world and countless other universes. The threads flow like a living river, unbound by life and death. The threads defy reality, unbound by space and time. The threads exist and do not exist, unbound by definition.

[~This is just a glimpse of your world, through the eyes of...]

Everything is so clear now.

He blinks and sees the globes of light fly toward him. This situation seems to small and petty, compared to what he has seen. But even such a simple encounter must be resolved.

[~The Unravelling]

"The Unravelling!"

For a moment, the field between the Grimnír and the fairies blurs, then turns into an indescribable miasma of color and shape. Then it collapses into itself with a deep unearthly rumble. He watches as the fairies panic and flee into the forest.

The globes, the path, the trees, and everything within a five meter radius just vanished - as if it never existed. Even its memory is slowly fading away.

[~This is your power.]

Grimnír's vision blurs once more, but this time due to a sudden exhaustion.

[~This is why I sent you here.]

He is going to collapse. His body has reached its limit.

[~You are my...]

Everything turns to black.

[ ] Brown and Red.
[ ] Red and Pink.
[ ] Blue and White.
>> No. 9154
[ ] Blue and White.
>> No. 9155
[x] Blue and White.

Eventually green and white.
>> No. 9156
[x] Blue and White.
>> No. 9157
[x] Blue and White.
>> No. 9158
[x] Blue and White.
>> No. 9159
>>9151

Well, I suppose I could try again then.


And I'm feeling contrary:

[ODIN] Brown and Red.
>> No. 9160
[x] Blue and White.

I like these more than the other colors.
>> No. 9161
[X] Blue and White.
>> No. 9162
[x] Blue and White.
>> No. 9163
[x] Brown and Red.

Mokou!
>> No. 9164
[x] Blue and White.
>> No. 9166
>The globes, the path, the trees, and everything within a five meter radius just vanished - as if it never existed. Even its memory is slowly fading away.

A Reality Marble?

[x] Blue and White.
>> No. 9170
File 122520704849.jpg - (78.75KB , 858x598 , yukari.jpg ) [iqdb]
9170
Loading User Commands:
[X] Blue and White.

---

Darkness.

He stands alone once again in the darkness.

But he knows he isn't alone.

[~You learn quickly.]

He has seen this before, why should he be surprised?

[~I suppose you're right.]

He sighs. At least he isn't dead yet, since he is in this place. Why is he here?

[~That's partially my fault, I didn't think you would reach your limit too quickly.]

He frowns. Passing out in the middle of the road isn't exactly what he had in mind.

[~Forget it, you have something more important to deal with.]

Such as?

[~Let me get to it then, you need to...]

...

[~Wait, something is wrong.]

Huh?

[~Someone is trying to force their way in here.]

Impossible. This place doesn't even exist, in the strict sense.

[~She is very powerful, I'll have to leave you, for now. I can't let her know about us.]

Us?

[~Stay in the shadows or leave this place. Remember that this place is yours until you are seen.]

Wait.

Suddenly, he hears a crack to the left. He turns and spots the strangest sight - a deep tear in the darkness; it almost looks like a gash or a deep wound. Within the portal, countless eyes blink and peer out from some indescribable flowing substance. Before he can say anything, someone steps out of the portal.

He doesn't recognize the newcomer. She has long blonde hair and dark, golden eyes. She is wearing a pink and purple dress adorned with unusual markings and red ribbons. She is carrying a pink parasol as she steps daintily onto the darkness. She pauses for a moment to straighten herself up and replace on her head a strange cloth hat with a red ribbon on its front.

"Excuse my intrusion. May I speak with you for a moment?" she asks. She turns head from side to side, as if looking for someone.

He remains silent. This woman is an intruder, and despite her polite tone, she gives him a bad feeling.

"Are you in here? My name is Yukari, and I've come to help," she says as she smiles brightly. While she sounds honest, her eyes fail to hide a glint of malice.

He takes a few silent steps backward. This person is dangerous.

"I would really appreciate it if you show yourself. It is quite rude to treat a guest like this."

You are no guest.

[ ] Walk in view of the parasol lady.
[ ] Wait in the shadows.
[ ] Awaken.
>> No. 9173
[x] Wait in the shadows.

Yukari's trying to stamp out the competition?
>> No. 9175
>[~Stay in the shadows or leave this place. Remember that this place is yours until you are seen.]

[x] Stay in the shadows; don't let yourself be seen.
[x] "You are no guest, interloper. Stay where you are or this conversation will be over before it begins."

Let her say what she wants to say.
>> No. 9176
>>9175

And give away our position?
>> No. 9177
>>9176

This is our place. If we don't want to be seen, we can't be seen.
>> No. 9178
[x] Stay in the shadows; don't let yourself be seen.
[x] "You are no guest, interloper. Stay where you are or this conversation will be over before it begins."
>> No. 9179
>>9177

I guess that makes sense.

[x] Stay in the shadows; don't let yourself be seen.
[x] "You are no guest, interloper. Stay where you are or this conversation will be over before it begins."
>> No. 9181
[x] Stay in the shadows; don't let yourself be seen.
[x] "You are no guest, interloper. Stay where you are or this conversation will be over before it begins."
>> No. 9182
[x] Stay in the shadows; don't let yourself be seen.
[x] "You are no guest, interloper. Stay where you are or this conversation will be over before it begins."
>> No. 9184
[z] Stay in the shadows; don't let yourself be seen.
[z] "You are no guest, interloper. Stay where you are or this conversation will be over before it begins."

Shadow stayin gaems.
>> No. 9185
[†] Stay in the shadows; don't let yourself be seen.
[†] "You are no guest, interloper. Stay where you are or this conversation will be over before it begins."
>> No. 9186
[x] Stay in the shadows; don't let yourself be seen.
[x] "You are no guest, interloper. Stay where you are or this conversation will be over before it begins."
>> No. 9190
File 122526696165.jpg - (29.32KB , 640x352 , 23669754.jpg ) [iqdb]
9190
[x] Awaken Mustakrakish.
>> No. 9191
File 12252738471.png - (23.62KB , 400x550 , yukari2.png ) [iqdb]
9191
Loading User Commands:
[X] Stay in the shadows; don't let yourself be seen.
[X] "You are no guest, interloper. Stay where you are or this conversation will be over before it begins."

---

"You are no guest, interloper. Stay where you are or this conversation will be over before it begins."

The woman who calls herself Yukari chuckles. A sly smile forms in her lips.

"So you are here, after all. I was hoping I didn't make a mistake somewhere."

Grimnír grits his teeth.

"Why did you come?" he asks.

Yukari covers her mouth with her fan as she tries to face toward his general direction.

"I've come to help you out, of course," she says. "Your ability is quite unique, even among the poweful inhabitants of Gensokyo."

"..."

"I am very interested in helping you develop that ability further. I have a similar power, so perhaps I am best suited for the task."

Grimnír pauses. He does need to know more about his ability, and why he was sent here. But he isn't sure if he can trust this woman.

"Why don't we meet somewhere in Gensokyo then?"

"Ara? But that can be quite inconvenient. The others do not have enough understanding to help you the way I can."

"And why should I trust you after forcing your way in here? This place is mine. I do not recall inviting guests."

Yukari lowers her fan. Her face has a serious expression. Somehow, it doesn't seem to fit this woman.

"Your power is dangerous. Not only to yourself, but to everyone around you. Perhaps even much further than that."

"..."

"Even I know when it's time to get involved. There is too much at risk here."

Grimnír watches in silence. Is it really that dangerous?

"All I ask is that you show yourself. I will take care of the rest."

Suddenly, he cringes. He feels like he is suffocating. Somehow, he feels like he is losing control.

"W-w-what are you doing?" he shouts.

"You caught me at a really bad time, I was in the middle of a discussion. If I stay any longer, Reimu and the others might suspect something."

He coughs and chokes painfully. How can he even feel pain in this place?

[ ] Give in.
[ ] Awaken.
>> No. 9192
[x] Awaken.

We could've been friends, Yukari.
>> No. 9193
[ ] Awaken.
>> No. 9194
{X} Awaken.
>> No. 9195
[†] Awaken.
>> No. 9196
[~] Awaken.

I'm not letting Yukari fuck around with my mind when it's already messed up as it is.
>> No. 9198
[ ] Awaken.
>> No. 9220
[!] Awaken.
>> No. 9233
[x] Awaken.
>> No. 9237
File 122536356743.jpg - (91.17KB , 350x350 , confusion.jpg ) [iqdb]
9237
Loading User Commands:
[X] Awaken.

---

Grimnír wakes with a start, cold sweat dripping down his forehead. He forces himself to sit up as he surveys his surroundings. He seems to be in a bed of some kind, but he doesn't recognize the room. He slowly turns his head from to side to side when suddenly...

"Argh!"

Head is burning. Heat. Sear. Immolate. Need something to cool it. Need ice. Heat. Sear. Immolate. Mind is on fire. It's burning harder.

{Heat. Sear. Immolate. Sacrifice}

"Urgh!"

Cut. Slice. Sever. Head is being torn apart. Losing focus. Cut. Slice. Sever. Losing control. Who am I?

{Cut. Slice. Sever. Dissection}

He collapses on the bed, unable to move. The burning and the cutting are too painful - beyond wounds and injury. As his vision blurs, he wonders if his very existence is being torn apart. Is this the end? Dying in some unknown land for no reason. This is so unfair. Just when I thought I started to understand. Understand? What is he trying to understand? The concept is fading away. Everything is so confusing. He should just close his eyes and leave it all to the others. The others? He frowns as he sees her crying face. He would be leaving her, if he died like this. But that shouldn't matter. After all, he is only...

"... you ... right? ... an... me?"

A voice? Maybe he is starting to hallucinate again. Just forget it.

"..ey! ... help ... you!"

Again he hears it. Such a bother, interrupting his rest. Who is making that racket?

"... recover? .... Eientei.. cine."

Three times. Not a dream. Not an illusion. Not a trick. Focus. Align. Harmonize.

Grimnír forces himself to sit up, but his vision isn't clearing. There is someone else in the room. A woman with long hair. Can't make out other details.

{Isn't that cute?}

[ ] Use offensive magic. It must be Yukari.
[ ] Use defensive magic. It must be Yukari.
[ ] Use _____ magic. It must be Yukari.
[ ] Try to speak. Something is wrong.
[ ] Try to stand up. Something is wrong.
[ ] Do nothing. Something is wrong.
>> No. 9238
{X} Try to focus your eyes. Something is wrong.
>> No. 9240
{X} Try to focus your eyes. Something is wrong.
>> No. 9241
[x] Try to focus your eyes. Something is wrong.
>> No. 9242
[x] Try to focus your eyes. Something is wrong.
>> No. 9243
[£] Use offensive magic. It must be Yukari.

Only because this is going to lead to a hilarious bad end.
>> No. 9244
[x] Try to focus your eyes. Something is wrong.
>> No. 9245
[x] Try to focus your eyes. Something is wrong.
>> No. 9262
[ ] Use _____ magic. It must be Yukari.
>> No. 9283
[x] Try to focus your eyes. Something is wrong.
>> No. 9285
File 122544835957.jpg - (128.38KB , 400x773 , keine.jpg ) [iqdb]
9285
Loading User Commands:
[X] Try to focus your eyes. Something is wrong.

---

Grimnír tries to focus his eyes. A predominantly blue blur seems to be talking to him.

".. you ... water?" it asks.

He doesn't recognize the voice, but it doesn't sound hostile. He nods slowly as he struggles with himself. The pain is slowly fading as his brain starts registering input from the real world. It takes him a few moments to adjust to the air pressure, gravity, and the other natural sensations.

"Here," the voice says.

He thanks the blur as he clumsily takes the glass in his hand. After a few tries, he manages to bring it to his mouth. The cool water flows down his throat. It reminds him of fresh spring water. His vision continues clearing as he drinks the whole glass.

"Are you alright now?" the voice asks, worried.

He turns to see that the owner of the voice is a woman. She has deep brown eyes and long bluish-silver hair. She is wearing a dark blue dress with short, white sleeves and a red ribbon tied to the bottom of the collar. She has a strange, box-shaped hat with strange glyphs inscribed along its side and a red ribbon tied on top. He sighs in relief.

"Definitely not Yukari," he mutters. His vision is almost completely recovered, and the pain has vanished completely. He offers the woman a weak smile.

"Good to hear that you're alright. When you got here, you were unconscious. You didn't look like you needed medical attention, so I left you here for a while to tend to the students," she says.

"T-thank you," he manages. "Where am I? I don't remember what happened very well."

The woman nods.

"You are in the Human Village. A friend of mine said she found you knocked out somewhere on the path from the Forest of Magic. You were really lucky that she passed by, you couldv'e been eaten by wild youkai."

He absentmindedly rubs his legs as he recalls the encounter with the fairies and Yukari. The parasol lady gave him a real scare. But it was just a dream, wasn't it?

"I suppose so. Gensokyo is far more dangerous that I thought," he says.

The woman nods in agreement.

"You must be from the Outside. No one from the village is reckless enough to travel alone these days. Even the youkai living here tend to travel in groups now." she says. "What's your name?"

"Grimnír the Grey," he manages.

"The Grey," she repeats with a puzzled look.

"Just Grimnír will do. It's a long story."

"Well then, Mr. Grimnír, I am Keine Kamishirasawa. I teach a school here in the village."

"I see," he says.

"I left some food for you in the dining room. I hope you don't mind leftovers," she says. "I need to head back to my class right now. I'll be at the school if you need me for anything urgent."

"Thank you very much."

Keine leaves the room. He sits up on the bed for a few minutes, reorienting himself with the waking world. He surveys the room to see that his things were left on desk to the right. The room itself has simple furniture and decoration, but it was done in good taste. He turns to the left and looks out of the window. He can see Keine walking toward a larger building nearby. That must be the school.

Grimnír stands up and stretches. His body feels normal, but somehow he feels drained. He walks over to the desk and collects his things. A loud grumble reminds him that he hasn't eaten anything today. Keine said she left food somewhere.

[ ] Go back to sleep. Maybe that will help clear your head.
[ ] Look for the dining room and eat. Can't let Keine's cooking go to waste.
[ ] Search the house. Perhaps you can find something useful.
[ ] Head to the school. You can probably ask Keine a few things.
[ ] Wander aimlessly outside. Might bump into something interesting.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 9286
[X] Look for the dining room and eat. Can't let Keine's cooking go to waste.
>> No. 9287
File 122544985544.jpg - (47.94KB , 413x720 , keine_sensei.jpg ) [iqdb]
9287
[X] Inventory
A neatly handwritten note. Alice left it earlier.
A long walking stick. It looks sturdy.
A hooded cloak. It can cover your head from the rain.
A small pouch full of mushrooms. You have no idea what they do.
A beginner's magic book. "Basic Magical Theory and Simple Applications"
An ornate silver bracelet. Engraved on it is a serpent biting its own tail.

[X] Magic
"The Unravelling" [_____ magic]. Very dangerous, you'd rather not use it.
??? [defensive magic, earth element]. Not very effective, perhaps you need practice.
??? [offensive magic, fire element]. You think you can try it.
>> No. 9288
[ ] Look for the dining room and eat. Can't let Keine's cooking go to waste.
[ ] Crack open your spellbook and start studying. A nimble mind takes every chance to gain more knowledge.
>> No. 9289
[x] Look for the dining room and eat. Can't let Keine's cooking go to waste.
[x] Crack open your spellbook and start studying. A nimble mind takes every chance to gain more knowledge.
>> No. 9290
{X} Look for the dining room and eat. Can't let Keine's cooking go to waste.
{X} Crack open your spellbook and start studying. A nimble mind takes every chance to gain more knowledge.
>> No. 9294
I cannot agree with this double vote choice, as I personally don't believe in doing anything while eating.
It's just a no-no.
>> No. 9295
>>9294

That's a pretty strange thing to have strong opinions on, guy.
>> No. 9296
>>9295
Well I love food. Somebody took the time to make you something that you would need to live, and on top of that, made it as delicious as they could, just for you. I believe that something like that deserves one's full attention.

Making something by yourself is sorta the same, except you just want to make yourself feel all good inside for being able to cook.
>> No. 9297
[x] Look for the dining room and eat. Can't let Keine's cooking go to waste.
[x] Crack open your spellbook and start studying. A nimble mind takes every chance to gain more knowledge.
>> No. 9298
>>9296

You must be pretty fat.
>> No. 9300
>>9298
You'd think so, but I also don't believe in having too much of a good thing, so it stays good.
And I walk around a lot.
>> No. 9329
File 122553795127.gif - (10.58KB , 348x274 , openbook.gif ) [iqdb]
9329
Loading User Commands:
[X] Look for the dining room and eat. Can't let Keine's cooking go to waste.
[X] Crack open your spellbook and start studying. A nimble mind takes every chance to gain more knowledge.

---

Grimnír heads out of the room and is enraptured by a delicious aroma. Using his nose, he quickly finds his way to the dining room. He sees on the table a glass of water, a bowl of rice and a portion of meat stew. The presentation of the food is simple, but he has little doubt about its taste. He immediately takes a seat and starts eating. Despite his hunger, he can't help but notice how well the food was prepared. The most delicate hint of herbs and honey stimulate his taste buds. And if these are only leftovers, her freshly cooked dishes must be absolutely exquisite.

Halfway through the meal, he remembers his magical studies. He opens the beginner's magic book and starts studying as he eats. After all, a nimble mind takes every chance to gain more knowledge. His experience with the fairies only prove that he must improve his skills if he wants to survive in Gensokyo.

Recalling the final spell he used in the battle, he quickly browses through the book and searches for any references to it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to fall under the standard elemental or spiritual categories. He sighs as he takes another mouthful of meat. Yukari mentioned that it was a unique ability, so he isn't really surprised that it isn't mentioned in a standard spellbook. He wonders idly if there are any magicians who are familiar with a larger variety of magic. He doesn't feel like he can trust Yukari, especially after what she did. And he has a really bad feeling about randomly experimenting with the spell.

After finishing the meal, he takes a peek out of a window. From here, he can see Keine teaching her class, though he can't hear much. He needs to thank her for her help, and perhaps he get the name of the person who brought him safely to the village. As a school teacher, she must be knowledgeable about the village, so he can probably ask more about this place as well.

From the window, something suddenly catches his attention. There is a well-dressed man standing outside of the school. He seems to be watching Keine closely, though Keine is too busy with her class to notice. He paces back and forth in front of the school for a few minutes, as if in deep thought. Finally, the man nods to himself and walks into the school.

Grimnír can't help but feel that the situation looks out of place.

[ ] Head to the school and look for Keine. You need to talk to her.
[ ] Head to the school and look for the man. Something is off.
[ ] Stay in the house and continue studying. Stay focused on learning magic.
[ ] Go back to sleep. Maybe that will help clear your head.
[ ] Wander aimlessly outside. Might bump into something interesting.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 9331
[ ] Head to the school and look for the man. Something is off.
>> No. 9337
[x] Head to the school and look for the man. Something is off.

Suddenly, Grey vs Grey
>> No. 9340
[x] Head to the school and look for the man. Something is off.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!
>> No. 9343
[x] Head to the school and look for Keine. You need to talk to her.

Instead of chasing him all over the place, why not look for Keine? They both have reasons to talk to her.
>> No. 9345
>>9343

Because Keine's still busy.

And I want to see how these two knuckleheads interact with each other.
>> No. 9350
File 12255742611.jpg - (412.34KB , 800x600 , 4D.jpg ) [iqdb]
9350
[x] Head to the school and look for the man. Something is off.

oh fuck
>> No. 9422
[] Head to the school and look for the man. Something is off.

Time to cross the streams.
>> No. 9477
[x] Head to the school and look for the man. Something is off.
>> No. 9481
File 122575576479.jpg - (126.15KB , 800x600 , yukari_gap.jpg ) [iqdb]
9481
Loading User Commands:
[X] Head to the school and look for the man. Something is off.

---

Grimnír isn't exactly sure, but something about the man seems out of place. He is too well-dressed to meet a village school teacher, and he walked inside with confidence that didn't fit someone who lived in a village.

He takes his things and hurries after the man. As he walks toward the entrance, he pauses outside the classroom. He gives Keine a smile and a wave. She returns the smile to acknowledge him, then she turns back to her class.

"At least she knows I'm heading inside," he mutters to himself.

As he walks inside, he recalls the spell he used. It must have drained him completely for him to fall unconscious. If it weren't for Keine's friend, he would probably be dead by now.

That spell must have been really powerful to attract the attention of a being like Yukari. He isn't really sure who she is, but to break into one's mind is no simple feat. That woman is dangerous.

As he walks, a sign on one of the doors catches his attention. It reads "Principal's Office". He hasn't seen any other teachers in the school, but he feels that the position of principal fits Keine somehow. As he looks closer, he notices that the door is slightly ajar. Someone is inside.

He heads straight for the office. He is sure that it isn't Keine.
>> No. 9484
File 12257566259.jpg - (85.42KB , 1024x768 , yinyang.jpg ) [iqdb]
9484
For a moment, the two men watch each other in silence.

Grimnír looks at the stranger. Looking closer, he can see that he is wearing a traveller's coat and pants in the style of the early 18th century Europe. The design isn't fancy, but it shows simple elegance.

The man is smiling lightly at him, but his eyes betray a sense of surprise. He was probably waiting here to meet with Keine.

"My name is Grey, are you here to see the Village Guardian?" the man asks.

Grimnír pauses.

"Village Guardian?" he asks in return.

"Yes, I heard that Keine protects the Human Village from youkai attacks and other threats. She acts as a school teacher for the children during the rest of the time, if I'm not mistaken," Grey says.

"I see," he says. "My name is Grimnír, and I just recently arrived here in the village."

"Pleased to meet you. If I could, I'd offer you a cup of tea," Grey says. He shifts his legs to more comfortable position.

Grimnír pauses uneasily. It was just for a moment, but he is sure that he saw a gun holstered under his coat. This man is armed. He tightens his grip on his staff as he struggles to stay calm.

"Perhaps you don't like tea? We can probably find a tavern somewhere if you like," Grey says. "We Outsiders should stick together. Gensokyo is a dangerous place, after all."

Grimnír smirks. So this man is an Outsider as well. But even so, carrying a gun to a school isn't right. He doesn't know what this man is here for, or what he wants from Keine. Maybe a straightforward approach would be best.

"So, why carry a gun when meeting a schoolteacher?" he asks.

"Self-defense," Grey answers. He answered quickly and calmly. This man is good with words.

The two men stare at each other in silence. Neither of them is smiling.
>> No. 9485
File 122575683363.jpg - (54.89KB , 439x500 , keine2.jpg ) [iqdb]
9485
"A-ahem!"

Both men jump at the sound. Keine is standing at the doorway with an exasperated look on her face.

"If you have a conflict to resolve, then I would appreciate it if you would take your danmaku duel somewhere else. A school is no place for violence," she says as she takes her seat behind the desk.

"Danmaku?" Grimnír asks. Is this what Marisa was talking about?

Keine opens her desk and takes a couple of sheets of paper. She gives them each a copy.

"Spell Card Rules," she says. "Just read through this when you have time. The shrine maiden asked Akyu and I distribute these to outsiders."

"Thank you very much," Grey says.

"Unfortunately, I don't have much time for you two," Keine says. "I have several errands to run after this. So, may I ask you to limit yourselves to two questions each?"

The two nod slowly.

Grimnír pauses to think.

[ ] Ask about the attacks around the Forest of Magic.
[ ] Ask about the Trident Lunatic.
[ ] Ask about Yukari.
[ ] Ask about Rinnosuke.
[ ] Ask about magicians.
[ ] Ask about the Hakurei Shrine meeting.
[ ] Ask about the attacks around the village.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 9486
[x] Ask about the Hakurei Shrine meeting.

[x] Ask about the attacks around the Forest of Magic.
>> No. 9487
[!/] Ask about the Hakurei Shrine meeting.
[!/] Ask about the attacks around the village.
>> No. 9488
[o] Ask about the Hakurei Shrine meeting.

[o] Ask about the attacks around the Forest of Magic.
>> No. 9489
[x] Ask about the attacks around the Forest of Magic.
[x] Ask about Yukari.
>> No. 9490
[x] Ask about the Hakurei Shrine meeting.
[x] Ask about the attacks around the Forest of Magic.
>> No. 9497
File 122585278979.jpg - (108.88KB , 800x600 , yukari.jpg ) [iqdb]
9497
Loading User Commands:
[X] Ask about the Hakurei Shrine meeting.
[X] Ask about the attacks around the Forest of Magic.

---

Grimnír takes a moment to prioritize his questions. Grey clears his throat.

"If I may go first," Grey says. "I'd like to know more about other outsiders who stayed at the Scarlet Devil Mansion."

"Hmm," Keine says. "As far as I know, Remilia and the others welcome outsiders who end up near the mansion. She often sends them here to the village after a while."

She pauses, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Now that you mention it, there was that one guy who stayed with them for a pretty long time. He used to come here to the village together with Sakuya and Remilia. I heard that he isn't at the mansion anymore."

"Do you know what happened?" Grey asks.

"I'm not exactly sure. Sakuya came here after a while, asking if anyone has seen him. Looks like he went missing, but neither Remilia, nor any of the others said anything else. I think it might be a sensitive subject for them."

"I see," Grey says.

Marisa mentioned something about vampires living in a large mansion across the lake. They caused an incident in the past; it was something that involved red mist, if he recalls correctly. There is a large library in the mansion that Marisa visits. Maybe he should visit it sometime.

"How about you?" Keine asks Grimnír.

"Alice and Marisa mentioned something about a meeting today at the Hakurei Shrine. I'm curious to why the shrine maiden would call a meeting. Would you know?" he asks.

"I have to admit that I was surprised when she called for it. She invited some of the most influential youkai and humans in Gensokyo. Kaguya, Remilia, Kanako, Yuyuko, Yukari, Sikieiki and several others were sent invitations."

Keine sighs.

"Unfortunately, I'm too busy to go to Reimu's little gathering. Mokou went in my place. I can't really afford to leave the village right now."

Yukari? So that woman is among the powerful influences of Gensokyo. He knew that she was dangerous, but this was far worse than he imagined. He definitely doesn't want to make her an enemy, but he can't just give in to her either.

He rubs his temple as he thinks. Grey gives Keine a nod.

"May I ask if you know anything about the attacks on the mansion?" he asks.

He looks up at Grey. He gives him a slight nod before turning to Keine.

"I want to know more about the attacks around the Forest of Magic," he says. "Are these attacks all related somehow?"

Keine looks at them both thoughtfully.

"From what I know, the attacks on those two places are unrelated. Various beast-type youkai have been attacking the Scarlet Devil Mansion and the lake around it. I heard some youkai merchants have gone missing around that area. Around the Forest of Magic, a human carrying a trident has been attacking travellers. I heard that some fairies have been unusually aggressive, as well."

Suddenly, Keine bangs her hand hard on the desk.

"And that doesn't even count the incidents around the village. Several of the villagers have gone missing, some of them youkai. I've been patrolling every night, but I've found nothing!"

She composes herself before continuing.

"There are incidents in other places, as well. Reimu thinks that they might all be related, but she hasn't found any proof. Hopefully, they decided to do something in that meeting of hers."
>> No. 9498
File 122585284596.jpg - (54.53KB , 331x500 , alice.jpg ) [iqdb]
9498
Grey said that he was meeting someone at the center of town. Seems like he might be a good person, since he was concerned about the incidents. However, he acted like he was hiding something.

After thanking Keine, Grimnír wanders aimlessly around the village. He doesn't have anything specific in mind, but a walk is fine too.

"..."

He finds himself walking along the market district. A familiar voice draws his attention. Alice seems to be conducting a puppet show for some kids.

[ ] Greet her normally.
[ ] Surprise her from behind.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 9499
[x] Greet her normally.
[x] Ask if you can join in.
>> No. 9502
[x] Watch her puppet show, greet her normally when she notices you.
>> No. 9503
>>9500 here, changing vote

[x] Watch her puppet show, greet her normally when she notices you.
>> No. 9504
File 122585858256.jpg - (89.39KB , 518x612 , 70720a3630b9e6a91ba5f05fe01e4c08.jpg ) [iqdb]
9504
[!/] Watch her puppet show, greet her normally when she notices you.

Master of the Puppets moe~
>> No. 9505
[x] Watch her puppet show, greet her normally when she notices you.
>> No. 9531
File 122593636739.gif - (128.71KB , 430x590 , alice_dolls.gif ) [iqdb]
9531
Loading User Commands:
[X] Watch her puppet show, greet her normally when she notices you.

---

... after fighting through the Cursed Sea of Trees, the heroes finally reached the Red Tower.

"Your greatest obstacle will lie in the Red Tower. Neither strength nor wit will help you. In that place, one of you must make a choice."

Lead by the young knight-errant, they climbed the spiraling steps of the tower. The woodland ranger readied his bow. The blue magician prepared her most destructive spells. The elder priest muttered prayers and protective blessings. The young stable girl held tightly to the old blade her father left her.

However, they reached the top of the tower without a single battle. Instead, they found the princess sitting in a chair by the window.

"We have come to rescue you from this tower," the knight said. "Your kingdom needs you."

"From far lands we have travelled to restore balance," the ranger said.

"Your guidance is needed, if the people are to have hope," the priest said.

"To protect the spirits and magic of the land, you must return," the magician said.

The young stable girl said nothing.

The princess turned to the heroes and sighed.

"I cannot leave this place. The Dark One told me that if the Red Tower is left empty for even a moment, the land will be torn asunder by fire and lightning. He killed the previous Guardian of this place, so I must stay here to keep the land safe. Unless, one of you is willing to take my place."

For the longest time, the heroes stood in silence.

"I shall take your place," said the young stable girl.

She turns to the knight.

"I am not strong like you. She will need someone to protect her."

She turns to the ranger.

"I am not quick like you. She will need someone to watch her side."

She turns to the magician.

"I am not powerful like you. She will need someone to give her strength."

She turns to the priest.

"I am not wise like you. She will need someone to advise her."

She turns to the princess.

"I am only a simple stable girl who has joined them for her own selfish reasons."

... the stable girl watched from the window as the heroes rode away with the princess. The land is now safe, and the kingdom will prosper once more. The four of them would make sure of it. She waved cheerfully at them until they were out of sight.

She has only one regret. She turned away from the window and let go of the tears she was holding back.

She loved him.

[ ] "T-that was an excellent show."
[ ] "..."
[ ] "The knight was a fool."
[ ] "Such a brave girl..."
[ ] "B-but the story doesn't end there, does it?"
[ ] A single tear rolls down his cheek.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 9532
[x] A single tear rolls down his cheek.
>> No. 9533
[x] A single tear rolls down his cheek.
[x] "T-that was an excellent show."
[x] "B-but the story doesn't end there, does it?"

THIS PLAY
IT'S DESPAIR FLAVORED
>> No. 9534
[X] A single tear rolls down his cheek.
So GAR ;_;
>> No. 9535
[--] A single tear rolls down his cheek.

100% manly tears.
>> No. 9539
>>9531
This Alice is a tad different from the others...
>> No. 9541
> 9539
Intriguing.

[x] A single tear rolls down his cheek.
>> No. 9543
[!/] A single tear rolls down his cheek.

I knew it. November is Despair Month.
>> No. 9544
>>9543

Remember, remember. The despair of November.
>> No. 9568
File 122603375748.jpg - (123.79KB , 750x535 , alice_marisa.jpg ) [iqdb]
9568
Loading User Commands:
[X] A single tear rolls down his cheek.

---

"E-e-eh?" Alice stammers. "Y-you were watching?"

Grimnír looks away. A single tear rolls down his cheek. He wipes it away quickly.

"I just saw your puppet show earlier, and I didn't want to disturb you."

Alice looks a bit embarassed. Grimnír gives her a gentle smile.

"I was touched."

"T-thank you!" she manages. Her cheeks are red, but she looks quite happy.

"Did you write that yourself?" he asks. "It was very well written."

"Now you're just teasing me," she says. "I make a few stories of my own now and then, though they aren't very popular."

Suddenly, several packages are shoved into Grimnír's arms. He peeks between them to see a familiar wide smile.

"Here ya go! I got us some supplies for your training ~ze!" Marisa says. "Good thing I caught the bunny girl before she returned to Eientei."

"Marisa! Don't just dump all those things on him!" Alice says.

"Why not? He put up with your depressing little play, didn't he?" Marisa says. "This is all for him anyway ~ze!"

Alice bites her lip. She looks furious. Marisa ignores her and turns to Grimnír.

"Anyway, I have something exciting for us to do when we get back ~ze!"

Grimnír gives her a puzzled look.

"We're going to make you some Spell Cards!"

Grimnír pauses. Keine gave him something related to that, if he isn't mistaken. Before Grimnír can say anything, Marisa grabs his hand.

"Anyway, let's go ~ze!"

Alice's dolls are already packing up her things into a trunk. She isn't smiling.

''Umm..."

He recalls the first time he went flying with Marisa...
[ ] "Do you mind if I go with Alice?"
[ ] "Never mind, it's nothing. Let's go."

He thinks about what to talk about. It will be a short trip, so he can talk about only one or two things.
[ ] Talk about Spell Cards.
[ ] Ask Marisa about how she spent her day in the village.
[ ] Talk to Alice about her puppet show.
[ ] Talk about his encounter with the fairies.
[ ] Ask about Yukari.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 9571
[x] "Do you mind if I go with Alice?"
[x] Talk about his encounter with the fairies.
[x] Ask about Yukari.

Maybe Alice, having lived longer than Marisa, is more likely to know what the fuck we're talking about when we bring up _______ magic, and why Yukari wants our ass for it.
>> No. 9572
{ア} "Do you mind if I go with Alice?"
{リ} Talk about his encounter with the fairies.
{ス} Ask about Yukari.
>> No. 9586
[x] "Do you mind if I go with Alice?"
[x] Talk about his encounter with the fairies.
[x] Ask about Yukari.
>> No. 9593
[x] "Do you mind if I go with Alice?"
[x] Talk about his encounter with the fairies.
[x] Ask about Yukari.

Important topic discussan games. And I really like this Alice.
>> No. 9637
[x] "Do you mind if I go with Alice?"
[x] Talk about his encounter with the fairies.
[x] Ask about Yukari.
>> No. 9638
[x] "Do you mind if I go with Alice?"
[x] Talk about his encounter with the fairies.
[x] Ask about Yukari.
>> No. 9641
File 122611102394.jpg - (214.82KB , 626x870 , alice_and_marisa.jpg ) [iqdb]
9641
Loading User Commands:
[X] "Do you mind if I go with Alice?"
[X] Talk about his encounter with the fairies.
[X] Ask about Yukari.

---

"Do you mind if I go with Alice?" Grimnír asks.

Marisa's eyes widen as she slowly lets go of his hand. For a moment, she has a strange expression on her face. Then, it turns into a sly smile.

"Does our nameless apprentice have a fancy for pretty little Alice?" Marisa asks.

"Ma-Marisa! Stop saying such things so carelessly!" Alice says.

"Eh? I don't mind. I know when I'm not wanted ~ze," Marisa says as she pretends to cry.

"It isn't that. I just feel safer around her." Grimnír says.

Alice quickly turns away. Marisa giggles madly. Grimnír blushes as he realizes what he just said.

"E-er, I mean... Umm..."

Marisa pats him on the shoulder and gives him a wink.

"A-anyway, you can call me Grimnír. It should do until I recover my memories"

...

"Grimnír the Grey ~ze? Sounds like someone is really getting into the role of a wizard!" Marisa says.

"I think it's a good name." Alice says.

Grimnír is holding calmly to Alice's hand as they fly over the Forest of Magic. Marisa is flying beside them with her sack tied to her broom. Several dolls follow from behind carrying Alice's trunk. He estimates that they have a few minutes before they arrive at Alice's place. Marisa offered her cottage for the training, but Alice was against it. In the end, they decided by flipping a coin.

"Say, can I ask you two about something?" he asks. "It's a long story, but..."

Grimnír carefully describes his encounter with the wild fairies, his attempts at using magic, and meeting Yukari while he was unconscious. To keep the story simple, he doesn't mention the other voice in his head that told him about _____ magic. He has a feeling that he should keep that part to himself. When he finishes his story, the two girls stay silent for a few moments.

"W-well, isn't that amazing ~ze? Looks like I wasn't mistaken about him. He really has potential!" Marisa says.

"..."

"What do you think, Alice? We should have him inscribe that spell into a Spell Card right away ~ze!" she says.

"I don't think that is a good idea," Alice says. "If that spell caught Yukari's attention that quickly, it must be really dangerous. Don't you remember at the meeting? She fell asleep while Reimu was discussing the different incidents. She must have manipulated the border to enter his world at that time."

She turns to Grimnír with a serious expression.

"Until we understand how that spell works, I think you should avoid using it." she says.

"Alice is such as killjoy ~ze!" Marisa says.

...

When they arrive at Alice's cottage, Marisa grabs him by the shoulders.

"You should start thinking about what magic you want to try out ~ze. I'm looking forward to something flashy!" she says.

"I recommend trying something simple, since you're a beginner. No matter how talented, a magician must master the basics." Alice says.

Grimnír pauses to think.

Focusing on a single spell will probably work best, since they only have a few hours till the sun sets.
[ ] Train defensive magic (earth element).
[ ] Train offensive magic (fire element).
[ ] Train flight magic (air element).
[ ] Train utility magic (water element).
[ ] Train _____ magic.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 9643
[x] Train flight magic (air element).

Superman's theme is now playing in my head.
>> No. 9647
[!/] Custom
[!/] Train combination spells. ex. Electrified Fire.
>> No. 9648
[x] Train defensive magic (earth element).

Survival comes first. Besides, flying with Alice is nice.
>> No. 9654
[X] Train _____ magic.

Sure, what's the worst that could happen?
>> No. 9657
[ x ] Train flight magic (air element).
>> No. 9663
[x] Train utility magic (Water)
A vote for usefulness.

Air can be used for plenty of useful things as well, though, depending on how it's used: flight, telekinesis, speed enhancement, extended air supply, weight reduction...
>> No. 9664
>>9654
> Sure, what's the worst that could happen?
ಠ_ಠ
>> No. 9666
[†] Train defensive magic (earth element).
>> No. 9668
File 122616206040.png - (31.24KB , 300x240 , bubsycartoon01.png ) [iqdb]
9668
>>9664
>> No. 9670
[x] Train utility magic (Water)

Mundane utility, boring but practical.
>> No. 9672
[z] Train utility magic (Water)

Utility gaems.
>> No. 9673
[x] Train utility magic (Water)
>> No. 9674
[x] Train flight magic (air element).

I can't think of anything more utilitarian than learning how to fly.
>> No. 9675
{X} Train flight magic (air element).
>> No. 9676
[x] Train flight magic (air element).
>> No. 9685
>>9641
Air element it is then. Writing.
>> No. 9688
File 122619859010.jpg - (78.16KB , 566x800 , marisa.jpg ) [iqdb]
9688
Loading User Commands:
[X] Train flight magic (air element)

---

"I-is this really a good idea?" Grimnír asks.

"This is the best way to learn ~ze!" Marisa says. "With this method you will either learn magic or die trying!"

"T-that's what I'm afraid of..." he says loudly.

Grimnír tightens his grip on Marisa as she flies higher. Fear has completely replaced embarrassment at this point. Soon, Alice's cottage is nothing but a tiny speck on the ground.

"How did I get into this mess..." he mutters.

...

"I'd like to learn how to fly," he says.

"Flying takes some time for a beginner," Alice says. "You should start with some basic exercises and try to hover a few feet above ground. Then you can try -"

"Flying is easy ~ze!" Marisa says, interrupting her. "You just need to feel the air around you and make yourself light."

"It isn't that simple!" Alice counters. "You need to visualize the elements and slowly channel your energy. You need to understand and communicate with the air itself. It isn't just a lifeless thing. Careful and patient study is the key."

"Bah! That would take too long ~ze!" Marisa says. "Just jump into it and you'll figure it out."

She jumps on her broom and grabs Grimnír's hand.

"You won't even need reagents for this one ~ze," she says.

Before he can reply, she pulls him onto her broom and starts flying upward. Grimnír holds tightly to Marisa. He grabs something that feels strange and soft. Her smile widens.

"Oh, you're more forward than I thought ~ze," she says.

Grimnír blushes as he adjusts his grip to a more acceptable position.

"Hang on, ~ze!"

...

"Good luck, ~ze!"

Grimnír's puzzlement turns into horror as he plummets to the ground.

"Oh shi-"

[ ] Observe
[ ] Experiment
[ ] Analyze
[ ] Panic
[ ] Pass out
[ ] Custom
>> No. 9690
[x] Analyze
[x] Experiment

Visualize the elements, and then channel your energy. Right. Let's do this.
>> No. 9691
[ ] Observe
[ ] Experiment
[ ] Analyze
[ ] Panic
[ ] Pass out

In that order.
>> No. 9692
[x] Analyze
[x] Experiment
>> No. 9693
[!/] Analyze
[!/] Experiment

SCIENCE!
>> No. 9696
[x] Analyze
[x] Experiment
>> No. 9701
{X} Analyze
{X} Experiment
>> No. 9702
File 122624654324.jpg - (46.24KB , 421x618 , odin_sleipnir2_op.jpg ) [iqdb]
9702
[ODIN] Call on the wind and storm. Cast the ninth rune and bend them to your will.
[ODIN] Shape the air into a mighty steed to carry you over land and sea, his eight hooves thundering on the firmament.

awesome.jpg
>> No. 9705
[ ] Custom
[ ] Fly

Though I doubt that it is that easy.

[x] Analyze
[x] Experiment
>> No. 9706
[x] Analyze
[x] Experiment
>> No. 9707
>>9702
A bit too early for that, but yeah it's awesome.
>> No. 9708
File 122627984623.jpg - (202.63KB , 756x1051 , alice_and_marisa.jpg ) [iqdb]
9708
Loading User Commands:
[X] Analyze
[X] Experiment

---

"Oh shi-"

[~No time for that. Calm down.]

What?

[~You aren't going to die here.]

Hmm.

[~You can do this on your own.]

Alright.

"Think," Grimnír mutters to himself.

Among the classical elements, Air is associated with several other words. The Mind. Intellect. Consciousness. Focus. Communication. Understanding. Kindness. Spring. East. The Wand. Childhood. Sunrise. Beginnings. Gravity. 9.8 meters per second squared. You'd end up a bloody mess on the ground from this height. Shit.

Grimnír shakes his head. A glance at the ground tells him that he doesn't have much time. He needs to try something. Anything.

"Just jump into it and you'll figure it out." she said.

Marisa must be nuts. However, he doesn't see much choice at this point. First, he tries flapping his arms around like a bird. This only succeeds in causing him to spin violently. Then, he tries various different hand gestures and poses. While fun, they don't seem to help any. He tries controlling his breathing. This helps him calm down, but he still feels the pain of the wind searing at his skin.

He is starting to fall too quickly, and the air is starting to burn in his throat. He feels like if he opens his mouth, he will be torn inside-out. The pain is unbearable. He is starting to see ripples in the air as he falls. Is he seeing things?

"..."

No, it isn't an illusion. Even if he closes his eyes, he can sense the ripples. This is the true form of the air. The wind itself is alive. He calms himself as he tries to communicate and synchronize with the element...

"CRASH!"

Pain. His whole body is in pain. It hurts. It really hurts. It really, really hurts. Everywhere. Anywhere. He can barely think without feeling a sharp jolt at the back of his head. He can't move his fingers. He can't even raise an eyelid. It hurts so much that he wants to die.

Huh?

"That was amazing, ~ze! Did you see him swerve? And on his first time too!"

"Forget about that for a minute! He might be badly hurt! What the hell were you thinking?"

Seems like he isn't dead yet. He opens an eye to see two blonde figures flying toward him from above.

[ ] Close your eyes and pass out peacefully.
[ ] Grasp desperately at the sky before falling unconscious.
[ ] Whisper something before blacking out. (Specify)
[ ] Custom
>> No. 9709
File 122628022392.jpg - (47.89KB , 300x329 , megatron.jpg ) [iqdb]
9709
[x] Whisper something before blacking out.
[x] "No... I still function..."
>> No. 9711
>>9709
Motherfucker, I laughed so hard I just have to vote for this.
[x] Whisper something before blacking out.
[x] "No... I still function..
>> No. 9722
[x] Whisper something before blacking out.
[x] "Fly, you fools"
>> No. 9724
>[ ] "No... I still function..."
complete non-sequitur quotes are not funny

[x] Grasp desperately at the sky before falling unconscious.
>> No. 9726
Deleted post; agreeing with >>9724 .

[x] "...Fuck ...you ...gravity..."
[x] Lose consciousness.
>> No. 9727
[x] "...Fuck ...you ...gravity..."
[x] Lose consciousness.
>> No. 9728
[x] Whisper something before blacking out.
[x] "No... I still function..."
>> No. 9729
[x] "...Fuck ...you ...gravity..."
[x] Lose consciousness.
>> No. 9730
{X} "...Fuck ...you ...gravity..."
{X} Lose consciousness.
>> No. 9737
[†] "...Fuck ...you ...gravity..."
[†] Lose consciousness.
>> No. 9738
[ODIN] Whisper something before blacking out.
[ODIN] "No... I still function..

Oh wow.
>> No. 9747
[--] Whisper something before blacking out.
[--] "No... I still function..."

hilarious.jpg
>> No. 9748
[x] Whisper something before blacking out.
[x] "No... I still function..."

Wanna bet?
>> No. 9749
File 122636899182.jpg - (108.11KB , 350x600 , wheel_fortune.jpg ) [iqdb]
9749
Loading User Commands:
[X] Whisper something before blacking out.
[X] "No... I still function..."

---

"No... I still function..."

The last things Grimnír sees are Marisa jumping down from her broom excitedly and Alice scowling at her.

...

Somehow, the pain is starting to subside.

[~Welcome back.]

Looks like he is in that place again.

[~You did well.]

"If I did well, then why did I end up here?"

[~Would you rather be out there and in excruciating agony?]

"..."

[~The magicians will fix you up, don't worry about it.]

"I suppose,"

[~The Black-White surprised me. She guessed right about your learning style.]

"Learning style?"

[~Even with magicians, there is a great variety in the methods they learn magic.]

"I wouldn't know."

[~Well, I won't give you a lecture, but yours often involves "experimentation".]

"..."

[~Just don't be too reckless when trying out new things.]

"I see,"

[~Anyway, down to business - something major is about to happen.]

"Major?"

[~When it happens, don't let it leak out to the shrine maiden. If you do, you will probably all end up dead.]

"I don't know what you are talking about."

[~You will. Anyway, besides that, I decided to help you out a little bit.]

"A little bit?"

[~Think of it as insurance.]

Something lands in front of Grimnír.

(single selection only)
[ ] Earth Sign, 「Stone Fortress」
[ ] Fire Sign, 「Focused Immolation」
[ ] Logos Sign, 「Calculated Risk」
[ ] Deus Sign, 「Unlikely Coincidence」
>> No. 9750
[x] Logos Sign, 「Calculated Risk」

INT powers go!
>> No. 9751
[x] Logos Sign, 「Calculated Risk」
>> No. 9752
[x] Logos Sign, 「Calculated Risk」

The divine Logos.
>> No. 9753
My gambler says [ ] Deus Sign, 「Unlikely Coincidence」

But my reason says

[X] Logos Sign, 「Calculated Risk」
>> No. 9776
[x] Logos Sign, 「Calculated Risk」

Free spell card? Do want.
>> No. 9777
[!/] Logos Sign, 「Calculated Risk」
>> No. 9778
[x] Fire Sign, 「Focused Immolation」
Playing with fire is fun.
>> No. 9779
[--] Logos Sign, 「Calculated Risk」

Bandwagon time.
>> No. 9783
[ ] Earth Sign, 「Stone Fortress」

We threw biiiig rocksss once.
>> No. 9785
{X} Logos Sign「Calculated Risk」
>> No. 9802
Server reconnected at: >>9801