- [Settings] [Home
[Show or hide post box]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Bottom]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (Reply to 16108)
Message
File
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Further overview of board culture in this thread.
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • View catalog

File 124315392726.jpg - (156.40KB, 670x917, 001.jpg) [iqdb]
16108 No. 16108
Taking a few steps forward, I look the gate over from top to bottom. The large torii standing in the way signifies that this truly is that place... The location where she went to, trying to locate the one she hated the most...

Overwhelmed by it all, I take a step back and sit on the rock behind me, still looking at the torii which marks the edge of "the barrier". Just beyond that gateway is the Hakurei Shrine, and just beyond that shrine should be a village... Or so I've heard. Supposedly, there's a woman in the village who knows her, and can tell me where she is.

"...Fujiwara..."

Resting my head on one palm, I say this and look up at the gate with hope. She may have rejected me so many years back... but I told her that I'd never give up on her, and so I'll chase after her even now, into the land called "Gensokyo"... Even if it means putting my own life at risk, and even if youkai dwell within, I won't stop here.

Standing from my place of rest, I walk towards the gate and spot a body of water at its foot, shining with the light of the moon on its surface. Gazing into the pool, I take just a moment to look at myself.

Black hair, in a mess going this way and that... Brown eyes, generic and dull, yet still with some life in them... Even my clothes don't stand out. Just a generic yukata and a sash. The strangest item I have is a walking stick in one hand, for when I get particularly tired, but even that isn't to strange in an area like this.

That's what I look like, and how I hope to always look. Pointing my attention back towards matters at hand, I pass the torii, crossing the point of no return. Even now, I can feel that presence of demons in the air, and it's... concerning.

A sudden rustle nearby catches my attention, and a flash of claws barely evades my vision. Backing away slowly, I watch the bush for more movement and, surely enough, something in the shape of a human lunges out towards me. Correcting my footing, I narrowly dodge the beast's next blow before giving it a good whack to the head with my walking stick, sending it spiraling to the ground.

Looking it over, it seems to be... A pink haired, bony winged girl. She's sporting an apron and two fuzzy ears, which seem uncharacteristic of any bird I know. A feeling of dread sneaks up on me, and I take off towards the shrine, where there should be someone waiting to assist me.

Quickly, I ascend the steps to find... That the shrine is void of light, and that the activity I expected is nowhere to be found. A chilling wind blows past, and I have to hinder myself from looking back as I jump the railing of the building, taking off into the woods with reckless abandon.

"Fujiwaraaa! I'm not going to die here! I'll find you, and then I'll propose to you again, just like before! Do you hear me, Fujiwara? I'm not like the others, since I'll never give up! I won't turn around and abandon my goals, and I'll prove to you that I'm a suitable man for you to marry!"

Flying through the trees and other foilage, I feel my footing mess up, and with one loud thud I hit the ground, flying through a thorn bush as I do. Finally rolling into a tree, I come to a painful and bloody stop, no longer able to move without feeling pain... but I still move my arms, and pull myself up, only to fall down once more.

"D... Damn it! Why couldn't I be blessed with a body to match my desire? If this useless vessel of meat can't do the job, then... I guess I just have to... give... up..."

Feeling my drive leave all at once, a staggering pool of blood enters my sight. The pool expands, and it takes a few seconds for my deluded mind to realize that it is, in fact, my own blood spilling out of my body.

...That's when the rim of a long skirt, or possibly of a dress, enters my limited sight. A feminine laugh, and an air of benevolence... Despite my condition, I'm happy to see that there's somebody else out here.

"Fujiwa... ra... Is that yo... u...?"

"...No, I am not Fujiwara. I am not guilty of the sins she has committed, and I am not one to know the sort of past she has had to live with... I can, however, make it so you can see Fujiwara."

"You... You can show me to her? Please, h... elp me get up, and help me so that I can see her agai... n. I'm begging you..."

...For a time, the owner of this voice is both still and quiet. I can feel her gaze going over me once and once more, studying me with careful precision. Even now, this woman is probably thinking about how pitiful I am, and how I don't seem to be anything special...

"...Very well. I will let you meet Fujiwara once more, and you can do whatever you please from that point."

"...What do you want in exch... ange? It must be something... incredible."

After saying that, I feel a thorn being carefully removed from my forehead, and I notice that the skirt has gotten much closer to me now. Two small, delicate hands touch my head, and one gradually slides down to rest on my eyelids.

"The only thing I ask for in return... Is that you rest."
Expand all images
>> No. 16109
File 124315423686.jpg - (78.20KB, 485x442, 002.jpg) [iqdb]
16109
The pressure of the earth against my head suddenly comes to my attention, and my eyes flutter open to be met with sunlight in an abundance. Looking at the area around me, all I can see are tall bamboo stalks, with some grasses to accompany them. Faintly, I can hear water nearby, trickling as if being poured from a jug.

"A dream... huh?"

Sitting up, I notice one thing that's odd. Bamboo shoots aren't anywhere near where I'm from... So, was it really a dream?

Looking for the source of the water, I notice a small stream running through this bamboo wood. It has a small ledge at one point, which is where the pouring sound came from. Nodding, I continue to look around, wondering if the owner of that skirt is somewhere nearby.

"Hello...! Hello, are you still there? Where did you bring me, and for what reasons? Is Fujiwara... Is she anywhere nearby? Please... answer me..."

Feeling rejected, I bow my head in defeat, saddened by how my kind savior all but vanished after dropping me off in such a strange location. Pushing that aside for the time being, I stand to my feet and look at the water flowing along, making its merry running noise. It's then that I notice something odd.

A set of footprints is nearby, and it seems to lead through the bamboo trees. Getting closer, I examine to find that they're somewhat small, and more than likely belong to neither Fujiwara nor the one who rescued me.

Now taking a moment to look to the sky, the bright blue becomes a secondary savior of mine, giving me some relief in this prison of bamboo shoots. Walking back towards the water, I consider my option before finally deciding on my course of action.

[ ] Follow the stream.
[ ] Follow the footprints.
>> No. 16110
[ ] Follow the stream.
>> No. 16111
{X} Follow the stream.
>> No. 16112
[x] Follow the stream.
>> No. 16113
[x] Don't cross the streams.
[x] Follow the stream.
>> No. 16114
File 124320118779.jpg - (228.63KB, 400x400, 003.jpg) [iqdb]
16114
That course of action is the most logical one, which is to follow the stream to some form of life. As I'm about to take off, I notice that I no longer have my walking stick with me, and after examining myself more closely, I notice a distinct lack of thorns or cuts on my part.

Whoever rescued me the other night must have plucked every one of them out... I should be grateful if I ever meet that person again, though that may not happen for some time now.

Pushing these matters to the side, I begin my trek down the slowly widening stream, waiting to see some form of life nearby. Looking around, the only life that meets my eyes are the bamboo stalks, rising high up into the air. Feeling a bit too defenseless, I place one foot on a nearby stalk and pull it apart, creating a blunt, though likely none too dependable, weapon.

Continuing down the stream, something in the water starts to catch my eyes. A sign of life, however small, is swimming in the shallow water near me. Crouching down, I observe it and see that it's a small fish, and that there's others like it less than a foot away.

Driving the broken stalk into the dirt, I continue to march forward and watch the flowing water. More and more fish of different shapes and sizes fill the stream, which is just a short ways now from becoming a small river. It's then that the stream opens up extremely wide, and even larger fish occupy a pond that has opened up before me.

Looking around the area, something catches my attention. Just a short walk from where I am is a large opening in the bamboo stalks, which looks like something that must have been done with human hands. Rushing over, I look at the edges and confirm this thought of mine. On both sides of the opening are tracks, left by some sort of wagon that somebody was using.

Turning back towards the pond, something else grabs my attention... Though it seems that I have already caught her attention before noticing her.

Sitting at the bank of the pond, not too far from where I was when I entered the area, is... Fujiwara, wearing that same outfit I always remembered her wearing.

"...Yo." Waving a hand towards me, she balances her fishing pole with another hand, not smiling. "Hey, what's a person like you doing out here in the bamboo forest? There's youkai that live here, you know. They don't always attack people in the daytime, but some do."

"...Fujiwara... Are you saying that you don't remember me?"

"Sorry, I'm not good with remembering who all of you villagers are. Are you Daisuke, or maybe Oburo?"

"...No, I'm not from a village. I've spent the last few months of my life searching for you, and now I've finally found you... Do you really not remember me?"

She screws her eyebrows up in confusion for a moment, and shakes her head slowly. My chest suddenly feels heavy, and... it feels like something just isn't right about this entire situation. She had stayed in that village where I lived just five years ago, so there's no way she could possibly forget so quickly.

"I'm sorry, I really don't know who you are. Maybe you could tell me, and then my memory can be refreshed?"

(Choose a name.)
[ ] Murou
[ ] Kazuya
[ ] I forgot my name.
[ ] Write-in
>> No. 16119
File 12432053739.jpg - (32.04KB, 400x266, Cilr4-118-scaled.jpg) [iqdb]
16119
[x] "Iwakasa, remember? I lead a band of soldiers up Mt. Fuji, to get rid of some ridiculous magic potion for the Emperor. Then the men started slaughtering each other over it; I saved you, and you pushed me off a fucking cliff for it! Why?"

This is the kind of thing that turns people into restless spirits.
>> No. 16120
[ ] Murou
>> No. 16121
[x] "Iwakasa, remember? I lead a band of soldiers up Mt. Fuji, to get rid of some ridiculous magic potion for the Emperor. Then the men started slaughtering each other over it; I saved you, and you pushed me off a fucking cliff for it! Why?"
>> No. 16127
[X] I forgot my name.
>> No. 16128
[O] "Iwakasa, remember? I lead a band of soldiers up Mt. Fuji, to get rid of some ridiculous magic potion for the Emperor. Then the men started slaughtering each other over it; I saved you, and you pushed me off a fucking cliff for it! Why?"
>> No. 16129
[x] "Iwakasa, remember? I lead a band of soldiers up Mt. Fuji, to get rid of some ridiculous magic potion for the Emperor. Then the men started slaughtering each other over it; I saved you, and you pushed me off a fucking cliff for it! Why?"
>> No. 16130
[ ] Murou

this is about a love interest, not revenge
>> No. 16134
[x] "Iwakasa, remember? I lead a band of soldiers up Mt. Fuji, to get rid of some ridiculous magic potion for the Emperor. Then the men started slaughtering each other over it; I saved you, and you pushed me off a fucking cliff for it! Why?"
>> No. 16142
>this is about a love interest, not revenge

Not a revenge, son. A reckoning.
>> No. 16143
[x] Murou
>> No. 16145
>[x] "Iwakasa, remember? I lead a band of soldiers up Mt. Fuji, to get rid of some ridiculous magic potion for the Emperor. Then the men started slaughtering each other over it; I saved you, and you pushed me off a fucking cliff for it! Why?"

After doing some research on the Kaguya-hime myth, the full name of the character is Tsuki no Iwakasa. So Tsuki would be his first name. Though being as he's referring to Mokou by her family name, it makes sense that he does the same here for himself.

Now as for what he is, he's either drank the elixir and Mokou didn't know about it immortality, special reincarnation, is a ghost, is a body-hopper, or he took just enough of the elixir to prevent aging, only not dying from the fall by chance.

Since he's only been looking for a few months and she's forgotten him completely, might've he been gapped into the future?
>> No. 16147
[x] Murou.

While the write-in is nice and all, it doesn't really fit with the setup the writer made.
>> No. 16149
>Tsuki no Iwakasa
Iwakasa of the Tsuki (clan/family).
>> No. 16150
Cmon guys, don't write the story for him.
>> No. 16151
[x] Murou.
>> No. 16152
[x] Murou
>> No. 16154
[x] Murou
>> No. 16155
Well, looks like the tie has been broken. Would have been interesting to be the Tsuki no Iwasaka, but better luck next time, I guess.
>> No. 16160
>Would have been interesting to be the Tsuki no Iwasaka, but better luck next time, I guess.

sad_trombone.wav
>> No. 16161
[ze] "Iwakasa, remember? I lead a band of soldiers up Mt. Fuji, to get rid of some ridiculous magic potion for the Emperor. Then the men started slaughtering each other over it; I saved you, and you pushed me off a fucking cliff for it! Why?"

I like this anyway.
>> No. 16162
[x] "Iwakasa, remember? I lead a band of soldiers up Mt. Fuji, to get rid of some ridiculous magic potion for the Emperor. Then the men started slaughtering each other over it; I saved you, and you pushed me off a fucking cliff for it! Why?"
>> No. 16163
Can we at least wait a bit before trying to hijack the story?
>> No. 16164
>>16163

Y'know, you can still have a love story, even when there's some serious dramatic tension in it. Being Iwakasa adds another layer of intrigue to it, as this makes the protagonist more than just Anonymous Village Idiot B. Also, being Samurai brings a certain dogged persistence / mentality / realism to the character, too. I strongly doubt most common peasants of the time would have the guts to chase Mokou all the way to the ends of the earth, unless this person was already a martial / strong minded individual to begin with, that is a wandering Budoka or a self-made Ronin. You need to have something to back up that hopeless optimism too, you know?
>> No. 16165
>>16164

But thats all up to the writer, let him decide the backstory, he'll tell us when he needs such a write-in.
>> No. 16167
>>16164

That's all fine, well, and good, but I don't think it'll fit without some retconning. The writer seems to already have an idea as to the character's backstory and we should respect that.
>> No. 16169
>That's all fine, well, and good, but I don't think it'll fit without some retconning. The writer seems to already have an idea as to the character's backstory and we should respect that.

Actually, I'm thinking we may have already plot-minded the writer here, considering frank amnesia is one of the starting options, and that the other given options lack surnames.

That Mokou has no recollection of us even though we had been apparently involved with her only 'five months' ago implies we've either 1) skipped through time, or 2) are in a different body, which is something possible through necromancy (the spellcard in the title is that of a nekomata).
>> No. 16170
>>16169
>That Mokou has no recollection of us even though we had been apparently involved with her only 'five months' ago implies we've either 1) skipped through time, or 2) are in a different body, which is something possible through necromancy (the spellcard in the title is that of a nekomata).

... wut?

The only thing Mokou failing to recognize us implies is that she's failed to recognize us. As far as we know, the character may not even have spent enough time around Mokou or have been an important enough figure to really bother remembering; just because she apparently meant something to him doesn't mean he meant anything more than jack shit to her. Given that it's actually been five years, and Mokou apparently barely recognizes all the citizens of the village that she lives near now, it's not exactly unlikely that the character could be little more than a face in the crowd as far as she's concerned.
>> No. 16182
>>16169
Chen being responsible for bringing an outside into Gensokyo?

Well, she's still a Yakumo, but that's pleasantly different.
>> No. 16191
>>16182

No, I meant with the posssible body swapping. It was implied that the protagonist had received grievous wounds, sputtering an ominous dying wish:
>"D... Damn it! Why couldn't I be blessed with a body to match my desire? If this useless vessel of meat can't do the job, then... I guess I just have to... give... up..."

We have no way of knowing how much time we were out; we certainly weren't familiar with our surroundings when we did.
>> No. 16193
It's neat to see all this discussion, but where the hell are our updates?
>> No. 16194
>>16193

Amen, Anon. With all this interest for the story, I would be extremely disappointed if Kuujalo trolled us.
>> No. 16196
File 124359958550.png - (26.58KB, 350x350, 004.png) [iqdb]
16196
"Don't you remember...? My name is Murou! You came to visit my village some time ago, and then you left after being there for two years... Don't you remember that promise I made you, that I would become a man worthy of marrying you one day?"

Silently, she shakes her head. Feeling defeated, I sit down on the nearby bank and gaze into the water, no longer confident in myself as the man I thought I had become. It's then that a new noise reaches my ears, coming from the direction I intended to go earlier.

"Hey, Mokou! Sorry I took so long, but I had to sneak away from the rest of them while carrying this fishing gear... huh? Who's your friend?"

Looking at the newcomer, her appearance strikes me odd for two reasons. The first is that she has two floppy rabbits ears sitting atop her head, and the second is her outfit, which doesn't look like something I've ever seen before. A carrot shaped pendant dangles around her neck, and her socks look dirtied even though she had put sandals on.

"Oh, Tewi. Glad that you made it today, it must have been a real hassle to come all the way out here. Anyway, this guy is apparently named Murou, and it seems like he's met me before."

"Murou? That sounds kind of like your name, you know... Does he have a rod, or is he just going to be my bait for today's get together?"

Pressing one hand up to her lips, the girl named Tewi giggles mischievously in my direction before plopping down next to Fujiwara. She throws her line into the water, keeping it at a distance from Fujiwara's, and then looks over at me again with a curious intent.

"Hey, stop being so quiet! It's true that this is a forest infested with dangerous youkai, but they won't attack you while the two of us are here together, especially not out in broad daylight. Besides, I can just make you lucky enough to avoid them if you kept me some company~."

Saying that, she pats the spot right next to her while sporting a large smile. I might feel uncomfortable doing so, but an invitation is an invitation. Walking over, I sit down next to her and make Fujiwara glance over at me once more. The girl known as Tewi merely smiles and wiggles her feet around, acting as if she has a new plaything.

"So, where are you from? You don't look like someone from the village, since most of their men keep nice and trim hair. Would that mean you're not from Gensokyo...?"

Looking into the water, my reflection proves that her statement is true. My hair, which was shorter before I tried to find Fujiwara, has grown a considerable length. My chin has also collected stubble to the point of being a faint beard, and my cheeks look bony, as if I hadn't eaten anything in a short while.

"I'm... I'm from a distant village, that Fujiwara had visited once before. I am not from any place called 'Gensokyo', though I had heard about it while I was living out on my own... I had heard Fujiwara came here, so I searched for months to find this place."

"Wo~w, so you're some kind of hermit? I don't think I've seen a hermit for a long time now, no..."

Wiggling her feet once more, she pulls on her rod and plucks a particularly large fish out of the water. Bringing it close to herself, she pulls it off the line and tosses it behind her, landing it in a bucket she had carried in when she entered the scene.

"Hey, how did you catch that sort of thing? Using luck to catch huge fish and landing them in bucket is cheating, Tewi!"

The smaller of the two girls laughs, rubbing her head as she casts her fishing line back in. Fujiwara smiles with good intent, until her gaze meets my eyes once more. She looks... disturbed. Not as much by something frightening, but something that is just unsettling.

"...Well, I've caught enough fish anyway. I'm going home."

Standing to her feet, Fujiwara pulls her line back in, and is surprised when a large fish is also clinging desperately to her line. The girl called Tewi merely giggles as Fujiwara pulls the thing off and drops it into her own bucket, blushing a little as she gathers her things up.

"...Ah, wait. What are we going to do about the human, Mokou? He can't just be left out here with nothing but my luck, can he?"

"I'll leave that to you. I'm too conflicted to make a good decision right now... Oh, and thanks for the fish, little miss Inaba."

Saying that, she starts to walk away, making her way towards the edge of the clearing.

[ ] She can't just walk away like that! Stand up and call her back.
[ ] It sounds like she needs her space. If her and Inaba are friends, we should be able to meet again.
>> No. 16197
Now, a quick explanation for the pause.

Although I wanted this to be a CYOA that would update frequently, my situation turned sour shortly after starting this up. Family issues and the like have kept me from writing, though I can assure you that I wanted to. With those out of the way, I should now have more time to spend on writing.
>> No. 16198
>So long and thanks for the fish, little miss Inaba.

[x] It sounds like she needs her space. If her and Inaba are friends, we should be able to meet again.
[x] "Miss Tewi, you wouldn't happen to know a good barber, would you? I must look awful haggard from the journey for her to not recognize me."

We should be in a state of shock right now, too emotionally invested to consider that we've been rejected. Tewi seems like a rapt enough audience; we can tell her our story, while we clean ourselves up.
>> No. 16199
[ ] It sounds like she needs her space. If her and Inaba are friends, we should be able to meet again.
>> No. 16201
[x] It sounds like she needs her space. If her and Inaba are friends, we should be able to meet again.
[x] "Miss Tewi, you wouldn't happen to know a good barber, would you? I must look awful haggard from the journey for her to not recognize me."
>> No. 16211
[x] It sounds like she needs her space. If her and Inaba are friends, we should be able to meet again.
[x] "Miss Tewi, you wouldn't happen to know a good barber, would you? I must look awful haggard from the journey for her to not recognize me."

in b4 nervous breakdown
>> No. 16212
[x] It sounds like she needs her space. If her and Inaba are friends, we should be able to meet again.
[x] "Miss Tewi, you wouldn't happen to know a good barber, would you? I must look awful haggard from the journey for her to not recognize me."
>> No. 16218
[z] It sounds like she needs her space. If her and Inaba are friends, we should be able to meet again.
[e] "Miss Tewi, you wouldn't happen to know a good barber, would you? I must look awful haggard from the journey for her to not recognize me."
>> No. 16222
>Murou? That sounds kind of like your name, you know...

And the other name option (Kazuya) sounds kind of like Kaguya. It probably doesn't mean anything, but we may have just confabulated a name for ourself by picking something that sounds similar to names we've heard before. You see it in severe amnesiacs.
>> No. 16264
>>16198

Yeah, what this guy said.

Wow, I haven't heard a good Mokou story in a while. I hope this doesn't drift to Murou spending all his time near Reisen or Kaguya the entire story, like the others. I want to get in-depth with Mokou and Keine. Let's see how they live their daily lives...
>> No. 16761
come back
>> No. 16867
As one who enjoys the premise of your story and a Mokoufag, I implore you to please continue this or give word of it's discontinuation.
>> No. 16879
>>16867

I'm sorry, but... I'll have to take the middle ground.

Life has been hard since I stopped, and I keep having work and social activities piled up on me. I really want to write this story, so I'll continue it at some later time, preferably sooner than later.

Until then, I'll have to ask anyone who read this to be ready to pick it back up, but to be open and continue reading other CYOAs. There's quite a few I like, such as "Resonant with Vivid Tones" in this very section, "A Fairy on Scarlet Lake" in /sdm/, and "Reflective and Uneclipsed Reality" in /youkai/.

Hope to see you again soon!
>> No. 16894
>>16879

That's a third option I can live with. Not much one can do when life gets in the way, but it's nice to know you plan on eventually continuing this.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Top]


[Delete or report post]
Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Switch to Mobile Page]
Thread Watcher x