- [Settings] [Home
[Show or hide post box]

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Bottom]
Posting mode: Reply
Name
Email
Subject   (Reply to 11224)
Message
File
Password  (for post and file deletion)
  • First time posting? See our frontpage for site rules and FAQ
  • Further overview of board culture in this thread.
  • Supported file types are: GIF, JPG, PNG, WEBM
  • Maximum file size allowed is 4096 KB.
  • Images greater than 200x200 pixels will be thumbnailed.
  • View catalog

File 122345225081.jpg - (62.43KB, 800x600, sepia.jpg) [iqdb]
11224 No. 11224
"So, how are you, sister?", you ask. "Do you feel any better?"

"Hm... honestly, Reisen? I don't know." She idly toys with her glass, apparently somewhere else entirely in her mind. "I can still feel the trance, still hearing things; yet somehow, it's different. I don't hear the voices I did...", Heiseimi explains, sounding very much unlike herself. Distant, yet very intimate...

You don't know what to say at this.

"What do you hear?", you try asking.

Fingers curled below her chin, Heiseimi looks away from you, that distant look on her face somehow even more prevalent.

"Your voice.", she answers simply. "A little bit of what you're thinking. I can't understand much of it now. But... I can still tell the tone of the words. And it feels good. I feel... content. Complete. Not like on the bridge, where I was scared and unsure." Looking back at you with that intimate, serene expression, she continues. "Of course, I hadn't realized what I was hearing there, either. All those voices, all talking to me, to each other, over each other, to nobody in particular... it was madness. And then they started commanding me..."

Heiseimi trails off uneasily; it doesn't make you feel any better. Feeling your shift in demeanor, she apologizes quickly.

"Ah - I'm sorry, sister. Didn't mean to scare you."

"No, no, it's...it's fine, Heiseimi, I just didn't know." Taking a breath, you apologize as well, letting your worry show. "I'm the one that should be sorry for doing this to you..."

Heiseimi shakes her head, waving off your apology. "It's alright, Reisen, you just didn't know what you were doing. And besides, it was what was needed at a time like that." Taking only a moment's pause, she downs her shot. "So, to answer your question... medically, no. But emotionally, yes. Very, very, yes." With a happy sigh, she turns to look out the window, watching the warp.

"Wonderful..."

Looking at her, you realize how different Heiseimi looks now, the way the warp's sky blue light adds an unearthly hue to her tanned skin, on her brown hair, and how it lights up her whole face, serene and full of love... exactly how she looked when you were so little then, holding you on the way home...

[ ] "Yeah..."
[ ] "Isn't it?"
[ ] "The warp, sister?"

~~~

Sleepsux.
Expand all images
>> No. 11231
>"Your voice.", she answers simply. "A little bit of what you're thinking. I can't understand much of it now. But... I can still tell the tone of the words. And it feels good. I feel... content. Complete. Not like on the bridge, where I was scared and unsure."
>"So, to answer your question... medically, no. But emotionally, yes. Very, very, yes." With a happy sigh, she turns to look out the window, watching the warp.
>"Wonderful..."

She's still hearing your thoughts; I don't think it's the warp that she finds wonderful, but the pleasant memories that you and she are thinking about. If that is the case, there is no need for words.

[x] Return her happy sigh with one of your own, give an affirmative "Mm."
[x] Continue thinking about all the pleasant memories you and Heiseimi shared.

Companionable silence. This also provides the perfect opportunity for her to ask you something.
>> No. 11238
[x] Return her happy sigh with one of your own, give an affirmative "Mm."
[x] Continue thinking about all the pleasant memories you and Heiseimi shared.

I was waiting for someone to come out with something like this. I was never good at the whole intimacy thing.
>> No. 11246
File 122349637460.png - (27.27KB, 459x603, reimu_theremin.png) [iqdb]
11246
[x] Return her happy sigh with one of your own, give an affirmative "Mm."
[x] Continue thinking about all the pleasant memories you and Heiseimi shared.

she's pickin up good vibrations
we're givin her excitations
>> No. 11249
Press on, Lover of Write-ins.

[x] Return her happy sigh with one of your own, give an affirmative "Mm."
[x] Continue thinking about all the pleasant memories you and Heiseimi shared.
>> No. 11263
File 122355145120.jpg - (19.73KB, 300x308, 300px-Hiigara.jpg) [iqdb]
11263
Looking out to the stream of the warp, you let out your own sigh, joining Heiseimi in the daze of the moment. Relaxedly, you sit back into your chair, taking a few sips of the liqueur in your hand, tasting every little facet of the drink, letting it lull you towards the peace Heiseimi seems immersed in. You can't tell if she's just talking about the past, or about the beauty of the warp, too; in the end, perhaps it doesn't.

The only sound that escapes your lips is a single, affirmative "Mm.", and as you think back on those memories you shared with her, a small, blissful smile curls your lips. You take another quick drink, and let your mind wander back through the years the two of you shared...

There was the way she would hold you as a child on Alnasl, cradling you tight in her arms every time you got the chance to see each other; how she'd let you sit in her lap and talk about all the day's happenings until the sun went down and the moon came up, and how you'd fall asleep to always wake up gently tucked into your bed. Years later, how the two of you would go out to watch the starry sky outside Yagokoro Palace, telling each other the events of the last year, laughing and crying together, comforting and congratulating one another under the backdrop of the cosmos. And then you'd both sit there, enjoying the breeze, the warmth of a sister, the feeling of absolute peace and happiness.

Yes, those were wonderful times. Back when all one could possibly want was the promise of companionship, the promise you wouldn't be alone in the world... maybe even that you'd be safe and loved. And you had a big sister who was all of that - who still is all of those things, and more.

For a rabbit - for a Reisen - such things normally would've remained dreams... yet here she was.

(Yes, it is wonderful.)

Blinking out of the recollection, you look back to her, feeling exactly the same kind of contented, completed happiness she feels. However, now it seems as if there is something different in Heiseimi's demeanor - a look of knowing pride, if you didn't know any better. For a long time, you both remain silent, just feeling the sensation of knowing each other's feelings, the unity, unnatural and beautiful unity... finally, Heiseimi speaks.

"You want to know about the Doctor, don't you, sister?", she says in that pleasant voice, again not really asking as much as stating.

[ ] Nod. You want to hear her.
[ ] No, not right now. She can answer you later...
[ ] For now, I just want to talk about (topic).
>> No. 11268
[x] Nod. You want to hear her.
>> No. 11269
[x] No, not right now. She can answer you later...
[x] "Do you think I've changed, sister? Tell me if I seem much different from before."
And, if we aren't thrown off to memory lane and manage to come back:
[x] Get a feel for Heiseimi's opinion on ongoing events.

I think it's worth finding more about the past. Both Reisen's and Heiseimi's. Seeing her perspective on how things are now might prove useful if we gather other scraps of information. As a potential measuring stick. Maybe tie-in the last part to what she has to say about the doctor?

Let's listen to what Heiseimi oneechan has to say.
>> No. 11271
>>11269
>[x] No, not right now. She can answer you later...
>[x] "Do you think I've changed, sister? Tell me if I seem much different from before."

"Enough about you, let's talk about me. What do you think of me?"
>> No. 11272
>>11271
Perhaps so, but it's better than being trapped not knowing anything about your past besides "shit happened and it sucked". I say we grasp chances while we get them.
>> No. 11273
>>11272

The narrative paints a picture of their two minds linked, but here you think it's appropriate to answer "no" to a rhetorical question?
>> No. 11274
[x] Nod. You want to hear her.

Seriously? Come on.
>> No. 11275
[x] Nod. You want to hear her.
>> No. 11279
[x] Nod. You want to hear her.

I'd hear her, if you know what I mean.
>> No. 11286
Writan. Like a phoenix, Lighthouse came back from unexpected ashes...

I'm so happy, I could almost speak without ellipsis for once.
>> No. 11287
>>11286
>ellipsis

ellipses

Also... hooray!
>> No. 11292
>>11287
Ellipses is the plural form of ellipsis. That is, since he only used one ellipsis, he's in the right, not you.
>> No. 11293
>>11292
Then the sentence would be ungrammatical for lacking a proceeding article.

>I'm so happy, I could almost speak without an ellipsis for once.

If you want to pedantic, you have to be willing to go all the way.
>> No. 11302
[X] Nod. You want to hear her.
>> No. 11326
[X] Nod. You want updates.
>> No. 11354
WHERE ARE THE UPDATES QWL
YOU SAID THERE WOULD BE UPDATES
>> No. 11390
another day, another disappointment

isn't it sad Anon ;_;
>> No. 11392
It actually kind of is, considering I've gone through two re-writings of this scene so far.

Well, try a-fucking again, eh?
>> No. 11395
>>11392

hooray?
>> No. 11396
File 122388712445.jpg - (59.37KB, 643x483, beast_infection_microscopic.jpg) [iqdb]
11396
"Yes, about today.", you nod, and Heiseimi shuts her eyes, taking a light, almost imperceptible breath. An odd kind of tension, something not quite like anger - resentment? - spikes from her, before dying just as quick.

"It wasn't much that happened. After bringing the officers to the nurses, I came to see 'Na. She told me what happened, and then that she wanted to know more... find out what makes you create that trance. She said that I was going to help her, that I had no choice in it..."

In a moment, her eyes flutter open, a crimson glow cutting through the warp's light. Her distant, pleasant look breaks momentarily - barely a fraction of a second - and waves of anger flow with it, dissipating into nothing against you. The tangibility of her hate is surprising; yet, the pain coupled with it is only more intriguing. The feeling is remarkably like what you feel for Eirin sometimes...

The waves reflect between you two, again and again, until they are no more than the idle sounds of the air or the ship. You spur her on, with little calming, accepting thoughts, letting some of the familiar feeling flow through you, burn itself out past you; after a few moments like this, Heiseimi finds her voice again.

"I... told her to fuck off, of course. It was just like her to plot behind people's backs, to know everything she could so she could use people better, so Eirin could use people better... and I told her I wasn't going to have a part in her brown-nosing. Then she said it wasn't about the Adjutant, that she was scared for us all, supposedly... then she told me why I didn't have a choice in the matter. And that, if I told you too, that 'life would get a lot harder'."

"For you, or me?", you ask, the doctor's threat grabbing your attention. "Or both?"

"For all of us, I think... especially for herself.", Heiseimi muses, the light of her eyes tracing their movements to you. "I know what you're thinking, sister. Yet it doesn't quite sound so much like a threat, now that I think about it. More like a feared possibility, an unwanted result..." The smile fades from Heiseimi's face. "She said that it all happened before. That it was worse than before. And that this time, it had to be stopped at all costs... whatever 'it' was. She knew to some degree or another what this was, apparently. And, as always, she'd kept the fact secret until it was too late. So it was easy to choose."

"And that's when I came in, wasn't it?", you ask.

"It was.", Heiseimi nods. "Not much, but it's still interesting, don't you think?"

"Very much so. But why would Tenyuushi hide what she knows?"

"Possibly because she has no treatment for it.", she shrugs. "Probably because it didn't develop the way she projected it would. She still reports to Eirin, after all, so it wouldn't be totally out of the question that she's been measuring your relative strength all this time... or to pinpoint your weaknesses."

[ ] "You think they fear me, sister?"
[ ] "A bit duplicitous even for Eirin, I'd say."
[ ] "Or maybe Tenna just doesn't know what she's doing..."

~~

Hooray, etc.
>> No. 11397
[☾] "Or maybe Tenna just doesn't know what she's doing. You weren't on the bridge at the time, but I'd already sent the brain readings to Eirin in the possibility that this really did get out of control; though I'm certain she already knows what this is anyway. I'd like to see the look on Tenna's face when she reports her 'findings' to the Adjutant, only to be told it's old news—classified and unpublishable at that."

Probably all is the Adjutant's fault, but Reisen loev Eirin, even if she is evil incarnate.
>> No. 11400
>She said that it all happened before. That it was worse than before.

The Belligerence?

[X] "Or maybe Tenna just doesn't know what she's doing. You weren't on the bridge at the time, but I'd already sent the brain readings to Eirin in the possibility that this really did get out of control; though I'm certain she already knows what this is anyway. I'd like to see the look on Tenna's face when she reports her 'findings' to the Adjutant, only to be told it's old news—classified and unpublishable at that."

Write-ins always win.
>> No. 11406
[X] "Or maybe Tenna just doesn't know what she's doing. You weren't on the bridge at the time, but I'd already sent the brain readings to Eirin in the possibility that this really did get out of control; though I'm certain she already knows what this is anyway. I'd like to see the look on Tenna's face when she reports her 'findings' to the Adjutant, only to be told it's old news—classified and unpublishable at that."

Heiseimi's words before on the bridge told us that she doesn't really understand the relationship Reisen has with Eirin. There may come a time for either active insubordination or a storm of loyalty, but for now it's safer for all involved that you play the unwilling servant.
>> No. 11419
[X] "Or maybe Tenna just doesn't know what she's doing. You weren't on the bridge at the time, but I'd already sent the brain readings to Eirin in the possibility that this really did get out of control; though I'm certain she already knows what this is anyway. I'd like to see the look on Tenna's face when she reports her 'findings' to the Adjutant, only to be told it's old news—classified and unpublishable at that."
>> No. 11423
Writan when I get back from school.

In the meantime, I'd like to ask, partly out of curiosity, partly for playtesting reasons: what do you think of Heiseimi's past, particularly her disposition towards Eirin?
>> No. 11424
>>11423
>Writan when I get back from school.

Hooray!

>In the meantime, I'd like to ask, partly out of curiosity, partly for playtesting reasons: what do you think of Heiseimi's past, particularly her disposition towards Eirin?

She's experienced the same horrors of war that Reisen has, and has strong feelings of duty to her fellow soldiers as a result, as seen in her reluctance to target the Belligerence. However, while she has had dealings with an equally manipulative (though incompetent) doctor, her sense of righteousness is not tempered by the same attachment and conditioning that Reisen has.

Seeing the strong reflection of herself in Reisen, I imagine she'd maintain a similar attitude toward Eirin as she does towards Tenna: Suspicious, adverse to influence, and (irrationally) absent of fear.

She probably still thinks of Reisen as her junior, and would be proactive in protecting her, especially after this more recent bonding. So if there were any non-rebel aboard the Night with cause to actively subvert Eirin's command (aside from Reisen), it would be her.
>> No. 11425
>>11423

I like her. That she was formerly Reisen's superior was unexpected. This is a good intermission. The openness here provides a very, very stark backdrop for the upcoming encounter with the Princess, from who we'll likely see only affected gestures and emotions, and have nothing in our minds but suspicion:

>She's proud of you. Sees some of herself in you. If she weren't also a power-hungry dictator, that'd be something to boast about. As it stands, it just sort of makes you wince.
>It begs asking why she's like this. Why is she so contradictory in nature? Loving on the inside, cold and manipulative on the outside... What changed her so drastically?
>That first dream, the one with the palace. That's when she suddenly turned into this. Princess Kaguya... she must've been the reason. For whatever project Eirin's conducting, for sure. For Eirin's mood swing? Probably. Hopefully.
>So which is it? Is Kaguya the ringleader? Or is she just watching?

I can't see the present Reisen going along with whatever Kaguya plans easily.

As far as Heiseimi's feelings towards Eirin, she probably likes her as much as we did after we lost our memory, that is, very little. However because of the strong emotional transference, that may change as she interacts with us.

As an aside, I have a question regarding something earlier:
>A third cursing their slave-driver commander, some spoiled Lunarian noble. You chuckle a bit to yourself with that one; back in the Marines, you knew that kind of spoiled brat. A Navy captain tsundere for your squad lead.
>What was her name? You can't remember. And so you keep walking.

Assuming the squad leader we Heiseimi, would this be Tenna that Reisen is referring to?
>> No. 11434
>>11425

It's not, actually - just a reference to a character from a previous draft of RwVT that was significantly different from the current story. I'm not sure if the character in question will be appearing... but hey. Shit happens. Plus, the original version sucked balls.

Writan now.
>> No. 11436
>>11434
>Writan now.

Hooray!
>> No. 11449
where is the writans? ;_;
>> No. 11473
That must be one hell of a wall
>> No. 11509
update
>> No. 11536
>>11224

Does anyone else see the OP pic as shit smeared on a screen?
>> No. 11540
>>11536

Yeah. Now I do. Thanks.
>> No. 11560
>>11536
You're crazy, shit doesn't have corners.
>> No. 11575
7 minutes of shit
>> No. 11606
UPDATE
>> No. 11663
"Or maybe she just doesn't know what she's doing.", you answer, smirking. "You weren't on the bridge at the time, but I'd already sent the scans to Eirin in case this really did get out of control; I'm certain she already knows what this is anyway, though." You allow yourself a chuckle, despite the many, many misfortunes the decision may have spawned. "I'd like to see the look on Tenna's face when she reports her 'findings' to the Adjutant, only to be told it's old news - classified and unpublishable, at that."

Heiseimi laughs at the thought. "Did you now, Reisen? Perfect timing for it, I've got to say. Though she does get discouraged easily, and it never does to have bad morale in the sick bay..."

"Ah, she'll work through it.", you smile, taking another sip of amaretto. "And if she's still the same old Tenna, then I'll bet curiosity will cut right through her blues. Odd for her to know a time when this happened before, though..."

Bitter, yet almost too sweet. In a serious voice, you continue:

"What do you think she's referring to, Heiseimi? The Belligerence? Or something in the past?"

And what could be worse than what happened?, you wonder, as Heiseimi thinks on it.

"Well, I can't say for sure that it wasn't the Belligerence," she answers, "seeing as how they're still peeling apart that guy's neurals, but his instructions did seem to fit his MO at least. But the bubble didn't seem to be any larger than needed, so if he was being controlled, the signal would have to have come from outside of warp space, already be moving faster than light, and be able to shift properly into that particular warp distortion - not an impossible feat, but a particularly unlikely one that implies someone with that kind of power's really out for your blood. Yet his instructions indicated otherwise, didn't they?"

"In a way," you nod, “although I don’t think the Adjutant put emphasis on returning me alive...”

“Well, do you think she’d really want to kill you?”, Heiseimi asks with sudden seriousness.

You tense up at the question.

Do you really think she’d do that to you, sister?

“Kill me…?”, you repeat, without an answer.

Would she? The Adjutant, perhaps. Eirin, no. At least, that’s what you believe. This should be simple. And yet… they’re parts of a whole.

You know what Heiseimi means; that she wouldn’t actually let you die. But exactly who is she now?

Heiseimi speaks up, after a pause. “...Forgive me, I didn’t mean to-“

“Must I answer, sister?”, you interrupt, nonplussed. Heiseimi’s expression softens in sympathy.

“…No, not if you don’t want to, Reisen.”

[ ] Write-in

~

Ah, sorry for both the wait and the odd format shift; I’m on the school systems now. As for the wait, there’s no excuse for that incompetence.
>> No. 11664
[x] "Yes. Though it breaks my heart a little to say it, the answer is undoubtedly yes. Even though I believe she does have a genuine attachment to me, this is still the woman who killed untold billions during the Reclamation. There is nothing she would not part with for the sake of the princess and her ambitions."
>> No. 11671
[x] "Yes. Though it breaks my heart a little to say it, the answer is undoubtedly yes. Even though I believe she does have a genuine attachment to me, this is still the woman who killed untold billions during the Reclamation. There is nothing she would not part with for the sake of the princess and her ambitions."
[x] And then you remember the first snow of winter. "I forgive her, of course." Lower your voice to a mutter, "I forgive you, Eirin. No matter what."

How pitiful you are, rabbit.
>> No. 11718
Oh ho, is that a change of heart I see, anon?
>> No. 11719
>>11718

Not a change of heart. Eirin is still an evil bitch, and Reisen may yet seek to ruin Eirin's machinations, but she does so with more love than malice.

Don't hate the Adjutant; hate the things she does.
>> No. 11733
>>11719

I see. But I still await votan. Then again, I'd like you all to think on the choice... a vicious cycle.
>> No. 11735
[x]“It doesn't matter if she wants to kill me. That is, there's no guarantee that whatever she wishes to accomplish today will be her same objective tomorrow. To her, the ends justify the means. I think that she's fully capable of pushing aside her personal feelings about anyone or anything. Most definitely including me.”
[x]Finish off your drink, reveling in its bitter taste. You couldn't forget her machinations, even if you tried, “Her actions in the present, not to mention the past, are more than enough proof.”

I'm not happy with the other write-in. I think that a more relevant answer can be given without falling into the failings of excessive condemnation and lamentation. This way we're stating things the way they are, without forcing it on the emotional side.

Plus, it's an important recognition of the adjudant's policy. It really doesn't matter if she wants to kill you or not. She'll send you to your death regardless. This stoic ambiguity
I think doesn't make assumptions whether or not she wants to kill you now. Just that its a very real possibility. And well, I think that coming off with a strong abuse-victim syndrome here with Heiseimi isn't beneficial to us. It doesn't benefit us to have her needlessly worried as that might (unconciously) undermine our position as captain. Or even if that's just me worrying too much, it just doesn't seem appropiate to forgive Eirin for things that we don't even know fully about.

Well, no matter how this goes down, I'm curious to know more about the full extent of the ruthlessness of the adjudant.
>> No. 11763
[x] “It doesn't matter if she wants to kill me. That is, there's no guarantee that whatever she wishes to accomplish today will be her same objective tomorrow. To her, the ends justify the means. I think that she's fully capable of pushing aside her personal feelings about anyone or anything. Most definitely including me.”
[x] Finish off your drink, reveling in its bitter taste. You couldn't forget her machinations, even if you tried, “Her actions in the present, not to mention the past, are more than enough proof.”

Okay.
>> No. 11764
[x] “It doesn't matter if she wants to kill me. That is, there's no guarantee that whatever she wishes to accomplish today will be her same objective tomorrow. To her, the ends justify the means. I think that she's fully capable of pushing aside her personal feelings about anyone or anything. Most definitely including me.”
[x] Finish off your drink, reveling in its bitter taste. You couldn't forget her machinations, even if you tried, “Her actions in the present, not to mention the past, are more than enough proof.”

Previous vote baleeted. Whatever moves the story along.
>> No. 11765
[x]“It doesn't matter if she wants to kill me. That is, there's no guarantee that whatever she wishes to accomplish today will be her same objective tomorrow. To her, the ends justify the means. I think that she's fully capable of pushing aside her personal feelings about anyone or anything. Most definitely including me.”
[x]Finish off your drink, reveling in its bitter taste. You couldn't forget her machinations, even if you tried, “Her actions in the present, not to mention the past, are more than enough proof.”
>> No. 11768
THERE'S YOUR FOUR VOTE MAJORITY QWL

NOW GET TO WRITAN
>> No. 11769
>>11768

I can't decide whether to tilde or thank you, so I'll do both~.
>> No. 11774
>>11769

Save your thanks. Just update.
>> No. 11819
ಠ_ಠ
>> No. 11870
Is this dead?
>> No. 11875
It had better not.
>> No. 11975
Come on QWL. We want to see Captain Reisen confront Kaguya.
>> No. 12012
Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what she is, or what she wants... only that she is the Adjutant. That she has a job to do. And no matter what...

The job comes first.

Doesn't it.

There's not a single peep from your subconscious, not an ounce of disagreement. For once, it would seem the conditioning has its limits.

Before you even think to speak, you let out something between a laugh and a low sigh, a mixture of disappointment, anger, and... something not quite describable... washing away with it. To your consternation, it sounds just like Eirin...

Just like her.

"To be honest, sister...", you begin, "it doesn't really matter if she wants to kill me. There's no guarantee that her current wishes and goals will be the same tomorrow; just that she'll do whatever it takes to accomplish them. Given that, I think that she's fully capable of setting aside her feelings for anyone or anything - most certainly including me. Her deeds in the present and past are proof enough..."

You finish off your drink, the bitterness of it standing out like clouds blanketing the sky - not a bad feeling for a moment like this, where you'd like to forget. Not bad at all...

You sigh, letting the the tension die away.

"...Even so, you're right about the overcomplexity of it, sister.", you muse, steering away awkwardly from your answer. "And if it was similar to this, then there should've been some kind of similar radiation burst, but Brahe didn't mention anything of the sort; in that case, it must be something in the past. Can you think of anything before that was like what happened on the bridge?"

"Hmm..." Closing her eyes, Heiseimi thinks back; you can feel a report of failure before she even answers. "Personally, no. At least, not if you don't count how we met. But I do think I know somebody who would remember..."

"Eirin?"

"The very one.", she nods. "But seeing as how she's... busy, I suppose it's a dead end. Might as well ask Tenna what it is that was so bad."

[ ]"Unless it's a touchy subject for her, of course."
[ ]"'ask', sister? I think it's faster to demand."
-
[ ] Ask about something else:
[ ] Ask if Heiseimi wants another drink.

~
I'm not dead...not yet. Maybe my writing's gotten worse, but that's another story.

For the past week, I've experienced a kind of horrific, near screaming pain that I haven't since childhood; going to the doctor's got rid of the swelling I had, and thus the pain in the long run, but the sensation still lingers. I can hardly sleep now, and I have tests all day tomorrow... joy.

If I don't respond much, that's less because I'm busy, and more because I'm trying to get missing sleep/deal with remaining pain and swelling; for the sake of my sanity, I'm also probably going to try and improve my work ethic. Staying up until 3AM to do things isn't good for a little kid, it turns out.

Goodnight... I think.
>> No. 12017
[x]"'ask', sister? I think it's faster to demand."
[x] Ask if Heiseimi wants another drink.
>> No. 12025
[x]"'ask', sister? I think it's faster to demand."
[x] Ask if Heiseimi wants another drink.

I'm not really feeling any write-in here. Just want to move it along.
>> No. 12040
Anon haet four voet minimum

[x]"'ask', sister? I think it's faster t demand."
[x] Ask if Heiseimi wants another drink.
>> No. 12041
[x]"'ask', sister? I think it's faster to demand."
[x] Ask if Heiseimi wants another drink.
>> No. 12107
Writan now; it's going to be late, though, a day or two.

One day, Harker... I'll find you on IRC, like a crazy man looking for Bigfoot. Or something. Only the crazy guy wants to have a brisk chat with Bigfoot, with tea and crumpets and all the hell...
>> No. 12111
>>12107

hooray!
>> No. 12153
update
>> No. 12169
>Writan now; it's going to be late, though, a day or two.

OR THREE OR FOUR
>> No. 12232
>>12107
>Writan now; it's going to be late, though, a week or two.
>> No. 12327
"Or we could order her to just tell us.", you suggest, eyes almost shut as you consider the act. "It'd be faster, not to mention simpler - though I suppose stress has to be accounted for too..."

Assuming she's even allowed to actually talk about those events. And assuming she's not just spouting bullshit...

Looking back up at Heiseimi, you continue. "Do you think Tenna actually can explain what happened then, sister? Is she forbidden from speaking on certain subjects?"

"She should be able to.", Heiseimi says, nodding. "As far as I can remember, she's never needed clearance to talk about anything - and she's mentioned quite a bit about the Reisen serving House Yagokoro, so 'Na should be able to answer questions about you. There's only one thing she's refused to talk about, and that's concering their casualties, oddly enough. Said 'I wasn't ready', and never spoke a word about it again."

"That's it?"

"That's it."

"Good.", you answer, smiling lightly with satisfaction. "It's actually worth asking her to help me, then..." You laugh sarcastically, as you toy with your empty glass. "Crazy idea, isn't it sister? That I have to figure out if my servants are going to obey me or not?"

Heiseimi laughs too, albeit a bit more bitterly. "Just the curse of the system, Reisen. Consider Eirin's probably thinking the same thing about us and a couple hundred others, and her ruthlessness almost makes sense."

"Really?"

"Ah, I wish...", she sighs. "But it helps to think about it that way, at times like this. Stars above..."

"Another drink?", you offer.

"Sure.", she answers, brightening just a tiny bit, and you refill both your glasses: first hers, then yours, of course. "And thanks, Reisen."

"No problem, sister... no problem at all."

[ ]Write-in.

~

Or a month or ten. Good night, and good morning.
>> No. 12328
I have no idea what to write-in right now. I don't know whether to go for dialog or actions. I-it's just been so long that I don't know...

Also I've got conflicting feelings of jubilence and anger. I'm becoming yandere for you QWL, watch yourself.
>> No. 12330
>>12328

I've been surrounded by so much, ambushed time and time again, and taken down far too much to watch myself right now (and no, this isn't supposed to sound gay). Either I go to work (55%), collapse in pain again (45% chance), or fall asleep again, which would be a lot more possible if I weren't in pain. Maybe I'm not strong enough, but my pain tolerance isn't so good that it'll keep me from not doing stuff.

Oh, and why not do both, like I usually say, etc.
>> No. 12360
Hooray!

[x] "I don't mean to pry, sister, but do you have personal history with the doctor?"
[x] "I have to see the princess on my return to Luna; I hope I don't have another 'warm welcoming' to expect. 'Seimi, if you were caught between the orders of two bosses who each demanded an absolute, exclusive, and deeply-personal loyalty, what would you do? Choose one over the other by flipping a coin? Accept both orders but fail to carry them out? Openly refuse and face anything from a scolding to summary execution? Assassinate the both of them and join the rebellion? Oh, remind me to delete these recordings."

Drink yourself into a stupor and call in sick? I think you've had enough, moon bunny.
>> No. 12365
[x] "I don't mean to pry, sister, but do you have personal history with the doctor?"
[x] "I have to see the princess on my return to Luna; I hope I don't have another 'warm welcoming' to expect. 'Seimi, if you were caught between the orders of two bosses who each demanded an absolute, exclusive, and deeply-personal loyalty, what would you do? Choose one over the other by flipping a coin? Accept both orders but fail to carry them out? Openly refuse and face anything from a scolding to summary execution? Assassinate the both of them and join the rebellion? Oh, remind me to delete these recordings."
>> No. 12368
[x] "I don't mean to pry, sister, but do you have personal history with the doctor?"
[x] "I have to see the princess on my return to Luna; I hope I don't have another 'warm welcoming' to expect. 'Seimi, if you were caught between the orders of two bosses who each demanded an absolute, exclusive, and deeply-personal loyalty, what would you do? Choose one over the other by flipping a coin? Accept both orders but fail to carry them out? Openly refuse and face anything from a scolding to summary execution? Assassinate the both of them and join the rebellion? Oh, remind me to delete these recordings."
>> No. 12427
I'll get right to work, then.
>> No. 12429
>>12427

hooray!
>> No. 12529
It's been a week.
>> No. 12558
"I don't mean to pry, sister," you ask softly, "but do you have a personal history with the doctor?"

"Me?", Heiseimi mutters. "I suppose I do. I've known 'Na for ten years, though I never got really close with her. She probably knows me better than I do her - but that was part of her job." She downs the shot again in an instant, still without even a moment's pause. "Back when I was training to become a Guardsman, she was my doctor... so she's the only reason I'm alive after those first three years. Probably the only reason I didn't go as crazy as the instructors, too, because she was the only one that would talk to me, even if she didn't really give a shit about me. And she didn't, of course; it wasn't part of her job. But we understood each other through it; learned each other's breaking points, where we wouldn't go, what we feared, and what we desired. We knew each other. Came to rely on each other, now that I think about it. And despite everything that happened, despite all that effort....." Heiseimi trails off, unable to finish her answer, and only manages to shake her head as she laughs in frustration.

"...Ah, I'm getting off track, aren't I, sister?", she laughs absently. "We've... we've got quite a history. It's just a rocky one, to say the least. And it's ok, you're not prying..."

"Just thinking back on old memories?", you offer.

"Old memories.", Heiseimi nods, with the odd hint of nostalgia evident in her voice. "And some of the new stress, too. Such is life in the Guard..."

"Such is life.", you agree, and for a moment, a comfortable silence follows. "Sister..."

"Mm?"

"I think I'm finished talking; I'd like to be alone for a while, but before you go, could I ask you a question?"

"Of course. What about?"

"My meeting with Princess Kaguya.", you answer.

"Ah. You suspect something?"

"Well, not really." you admit. "Nothing seems amiss about it, though I am hoping we won't get another warm welcoming. Rather, it's more of a philosophical question... about the situation I'm in now. And I don't know what to do."

As you explain, you lock the cabin's door for a few seconds, before placing a deletion order on your quarter's recordings for the day. No need to let others hear what you're going to say, of course.

"...'Seimi," you continue asking, "if you were caught between the orders of two bosses who each demanded an absolute, exclusive, and deeply-personal loyalty, what would you do? Would you take sides, choose one over the other? Accept both orders but fail to carry them out? Openly refuse and face anything from a scolding to summary execution? Or assassinate the both of them and join the rebellion?"

"Those are my only choices?", she deadpans at least a bit sarcastically. You nod. "Hm. Well then, for the moment, the choice is easy... I'd side with the Princess. That way, I could cull favor with both her and Eirin. Sure, Eirin wouldn't be happy you weren't working as hard toward her goals, but she absolutely adores Kaguya - and anything you could do to get her favor would get you favor with Eirin in turn. A win win, you see?"

"I see..." you nod.

"I know in practice there'd be more tension," Heiseimi acknowledges, "but if that's what you're looking for when it comes to trying to choose between the two, that'd probably be best. Any of the rest would just make more problems..."

"...And we've got enough problems to consider.", you complete. "I understand. Thank you, sister..."

"No problem, Reisen.", Heiseimi answers easily, and she gets out of her chair. "I'll see you in a bit, alright?"

"In a bit, sister.", you agree, and the two of you salute warmly, before she turns to leave. "In a bit..."

The door shuts behind her, and you're alone. Which, admittedly, isn't so bad a sensation after all that's gone on in the span of a few days.

Well, time to unpack. And after that you'll...

~
[ ] Log on to the fleet network, and check up on the newslines. Wouldn't hurt to check up on the rest of your battlegroup, either.
[ ] Take a look around the ship.
[ ] Call Brahe, and see what the hell's taking her so long to respond.
[ ] Take a potato chip...
[ ] ...and eat it.

~
Well, that felt good, actually.
>> No. 12561
[X] Log on to the fleet network, and check up on the newslines. Wouldn't hurt to check up on the rest of your battlegroup, either.
[X] Call Brahe, and see what the hell's taking her so long to respond.

>[ ] Take a potato chip...
>[ ] ...and eat it.
Maybe later.

>Well, that felt good, actually.
In before that frog-eyed what-the-fuck-ever.
>> No. 12562
[x] Log on to the fleet network, and check up on the newslines. Wouldn't hurt to check up on the rest of your battlegroup, either.
[x] Take a potato chip...
[x] ...and eat it.
[x] Call Brahe, and see what the hell's taking her so long to respond.

In that order. I don't recall the protagonist eating anything ever in this story, and I love the idea of a paranoid Eirin replaying the video recordings of Reisen over and over, obsessed with the idea that you watching the news and snacking on potato chips is some kind of ruse.
>> No. 12567
>>12562
...I can't believe I didn't see that. Must've been tired or something.

Belatedly seconded.
>> No. 12568
[x] Log on to the fleet network, and check up on the newslines. Wouldn't hurt to check up on the rest of your battlegroup, either.
[x] Take a potato chip...
[x] ...and eat it.
[x] Call Brahe, and see what the hell's taking her so long to respond.
>> No. 12570
[x] Take a potato chip...
[x] Log on to the fleet network, and check up on the newslines. Wouldn't hurt to check up on the rest of your battlegroup, either.
[x] ...and eat it.
[x] Call Brahe, and see what the hell's taking her so long to respond.

Sounds good to me.
>> No. 12571
File 122816956832.gif - (471.63KB, 300x169, EPICPOTATOCHIPS.gif) [iqdb]
12571
[x] Log on to the fleet network, and check up on the newslines. Wouldn't hurt to check up on the rest of your battlegroup, either.
[x] Take a potato chip...
[x] ...and eat it.
[x] Call Brahe, and see what the hell's taking her so long to respond.
>> No. 12572
[X] Take a look around the ship.
[X] ... and eat it.

I just *had* to exploit this.
Ok, now for my real vote.

[X] Log on to the fleet network, and check up on the newslines. Wouldn't hurt to check up on the rest of your battlegroup, either.
[X] Take a potato chip...
[X] ...and eat it.
[X] Call Brahe, and see what the hell's taking her so long to respond.
>> No. 12632
[x] Take a potato chip...
[x] ...and update.
>> No. 12665
>>12632
Oh believe me, I tried.
~

You'll probably go check the news, and get something to eat. Not to mention calling up Brahe…

[[Captain?]]

Well, speak of the devil.

[[Ah, Brahe, right when I was thinking of you…]], you respond as you put the drinks back. [[What kept you, Lieutenant? You're a good fifteen minutes late.]]

[[Something came up over here, to put it simply, sir. Forgive me.]]

[[Of course.]], you answer casually. [[So what was the cause, Brahe?]]

[[Well... all of the active crew on the bridge have refused to go off duty, Captain.]], Brahe answers curtly. [[Scans done to verify their fitness to remain on deck created the delay.]]

[[I see...]], you breathe, trying to downplay your surprise. [[And were any explanations given for their decision?]]

[[Only that they "weren't going to let a headache stop them from doing their job", sir.]]

[[Ah...]] You try to think of something to say to that, but ultimately no words come to mind. [[...Good people. And yourself, Brahe?]]

[[Green, sir.]]

[[Good.]], you utter again gratefully, and finally, you manage to find your words. [[Carry on, then, until the next shift - and send a half-squad of marines to watch over Doctor Tenyuushi's office, as well. That is all.]]

[[At once, Captain; marines are underway now. 02A out... get well soon, sir.]]

As she closes the channel, you smile lightly to yourself, and to the concern in her last few words, before you return to unpacking.

I will.

--

The rest of the morning is uneventful. Boxes sorted, opened, their contents filed. Repeat. Another box, more documents and files that'll have their day of use – but when, you really don't know. A transfer notice two weeks old – in the file. Mission orders, notices – in the file. And so on, until the room, once disheveled and clogged with boxes, is now disheveled and clogged with the remains of boxes – all, save one. So be it.

You've done quite well, considering the volumes of useless papers… and now the only interesting part of the endeavor begins.

Reaching from under your bed, you drag out a small metal case, airtight and biometrically sealed - the only one you brought with you onboard. Next to the thumbprint scanner, a label - "RN-13B", scrawled in a mix of fine Yagokoro script and Northern Alshaini.

All the truly irreplaceable artifacts of your life, in a tiny little box.

With all the haste due of the situation, you place your thumb on the pad, and the unlocking begins - first the unsealing, the hiss of air - the next two seconds, checking your pulse. Satisfied, the status flashes green, the lid popping right open.

The very first thing you notice is the scent of Alnasl, the summery, warm smell of the world, still somehow fresh as the day you left. The second, your palace robes, the scarlet-blue still vivid as the sky... and resting right atop, an old friend, still ready for you after all these years, thanks to a little bit of help.

"Love, Eirin", reads the note tucked beside it. Truer words were never put to ink.

You reach for the pistol - your pistol, call it what it rightfully is - feeling it, letting your fingers glide over the engraving on the side, as if it were all a dream... and when you feel the sensation of it, the rough knife cuts, the cool warmth of the barrel, the reality of it almost brings you to tears. And without even a second thought, you take the pistol holstered by your side and throw it into one of the empty boxes, the mini-reactor already gone in the space it took for you to move your arm. A few seconds more, going through the motions of cleaning, aiming, and you holster it, finding it as natural as your own body... not that there could have been any other result. Next, you take out the robes, carefully unfolding them to retrieve the ammo and data concealed inside - two clips, and a memory card, holding the past ten years - before folding them back up as neat as you could possibly manage, to go in your locker. And the last thing, beneath the robe... is a single badge. A thousand arrows, each aimed at the setting sun, each faintly glowing like a star in the sky.

Without hesitation, you pin it on your collar, beside the badge of the Guard, and you shut the case, slipping it back under the bed. You take a meal from the dispenser system on the way back to your desk; as you sit down, the system logs on for you, bulletins quickly flashing into view:

{COMNET:NAVAL CHANNELS, 03/02/61 E4}

ATHR ALPHA II; NO NEW ALPHA HEADLINES

NO KNOWN THREATS

MOST RECENT NEWS:
* NGC Evaluations Nearing Close; Korai Shipyards Expected to Win Contract
* Unknown Attack Ends Negotiations with Rebels
* Princess, Adjutant Meeting with House Houhei Expected to Be Delayed
* Pact Assaults on Outer Border Vanish
* INS Belligerence Lost in Transit; No Known Survivors

IN THE LAST WEEK:
* Rebels Target Corvettes along Cetus Border for Capture
* Princess Kaguya Seen Outside Capital for First Time in Years
* Yagokoro Neuronics Releasing Legacy Guardsman Implants to Naval Personnel
* New Director of Reisen Colony Appointed

[ ] View an article: (Specify titles)
[ ] View status of (battlegroup/fleet)
[ ] Open communications with fleet vessel: (Specify ship)
[ ] Switch to civilian newsline.

~
I hate school. I really, really hate it now. But it took precedence. If it makes you feel better, I have two more hours of writan to do right now for class tomorrow, so I didn't get off scot free~.

I'll check back in tomorrow at 7PM, boardtime.
>> No. 12666
[X] View an article: Princess, Adjutant Meeting with House Houhei Expected to Be Delayed

What are they up to, I wonder, I wonder.
>> No. 12667
Although in all honesty I want to read all of them, I'll limit myself to these three.

[x] View an article:
- [x] NGC Evaluations Nearing Close; Korai Shipyards Expected to Win Contract
- [x] Princess Kaguya Seen Outside Capital for First Time in Years
- [x] Yagokoro Neuronics Releasing Legacy Guardsman Implants to Naval Personnel

The first because I like Saku and a new line of warship sounds like it might be integral to Eirin's war plan. The second because we really know next to nothing about the princess, though we'll be meeting her soon. The last because it sounds like it could be an effort on Eirin's part to extend the reach of her mindfuckery.
>> No. 12668
[X] View an article:
- [X] View an article: Princess, Adjutant Meeting with House Houhei Expected to Be Delayed
- [X] Princess Kaguya Seen Outside Capital for First Time in Years
- [X] Yagokoro Neuronics Releasing Legacy Guardsman Implants to Naval Personnel

These seem like they'll have the most interesting misinformation.
>> No. 12670
File 122907034488.jpg - (80.94KB, 1024x576, news.jpg) [iqdb]
12670
Would you like to know more?
>> No. 12675
[x] View an article:
- [x] NGC Evaluations Nearing Close; Korai Shipyards Expected to Win Contract
- [x] Princess Kaguya Seen Outside Capital for First Time in Years
- [x] Yagokoro Neuronics Releasing Legacy Guardsman Implants to Naval Personnel
>> No. 12681
[x] View a list of all mobilized fleets, their current locations and assigned spaceports.
[x] View a list of reserve ships and their status.

A variation of "[x] View status of (battlegroup/fleet)". I would bandwaggon on the other votes (and have this count as those if it's not possible), but I'm interested to see how the fleets are distributed if possible, it might be able to give us some insight into otherwise missible subtleties.
>> No. 12707
Well, no majority sucks, but I'll have to take what I get. See you in seven minutes.
>> No. 12708
>>12707

hooray!
>> No. 12743
>>12707
At least you're honest.
>> No. 12789
Merry Moon-Christmas, QWL.

Now update.
>> No. 13037
update
>> No. 13116
Anon will wait 7 minutes.
Anon will wait 7 days.
Anon will wait 7 weeks even, but only if you give at least some sign of life.
>> No. 13354
abandoned?
>> No. 13355
For all the Anons here, QWL hasn't showed up in #Eientei either for a long while. We don't know of his whereabouts but I don't think he abandoned this story. It rather looks like he was somewhere away or something happened to him. If I see him on IRC I'll inform y'all
>> No. 13359
>>13355

Thanks very much.
>> No. 13648
There's not a lot that interests you - a slow news day, as always - but scanning through the list, there are three or four in the bunch that prove otherwise: among them, one on NGC evaluations ending, one on delays concerning a "Meeting with House Houhei", and another on House Yagokoro distributing old Guardsman implants to the Navy; you open all of them, each expanding to its own tab outside the list. "Princess Kaguya Seen Outside Capital for First Time in Years", says one... you've never seen her leave Luna all your life. You open that one too, taking a bite of your meal as you start reading.

The first three you read each seem more or less linked: all relate to the NGC (Next Generation Combatant) competition mentioned, a Navy evaluation program looking for a strike craft that can function both as a fighter and as a bomber, with only two left competing - an implant-controlled modular fighter called the "Gryphon" from House Houhei, who've designed all of the Navy's current strike craft and combat vessels up to now, and a drone fighter from House Korai called the "Roc", who are being looked down at for trying to cut into Houhei's lone monopoly with similar proposals all across the board... the problem, of course, is that their proposal is so far dominating the evaluations, though it comes at an expense of being almost three times as expensive as the Gryphon, a fact the Houhei harp upon at almost every moment. The neurals House Yagokoro are offering turn out to be just the kind needed for a pilot to control the Gryphon - seven years out of production for the Guard, but still compatible - so basically it seems as if the Yagokoro are going for the Gryphon anyway... except that the same article mentions them also sending engineers to Korai Shipyards to help work on the Roc.

You stop right there, going over the line again. And again. A third time; it kind of makes sense the third time. Probably, the Navy's looking to accept both at some point or another - that, or the Guard's looking to accept the loser, which might make less sense, since the Guard doesn't need to wait for the fighters to finish military testing. As for the bigger question of why the Korai would need the help of a house renowned more for neuroscience and human biology than anything else... that, you have no clue. There's just far too many possible answers - a bioweapon, a psychic weapon, a psychic bioweapon - and all of them sound like conspiracy theories to you. In fact... that might be why they let that leak out, so people could go crazy guessing what magical bullshit gun the Empire could be considering now...

Such is the way of the Adjutant, you understand, and so you don't guess any further. Not until you get some more hints, anyway.

You go on to read about the meeting... apparently it was going to be held in IL Aquarii, on one of its palace worlds, but a large Pact raid across the border of Aquarius made the situation a little too dangerous for their retreat. The meeting was supposed to involve an experimental FTL vessel, according to the article, but what really gets you is the description of the attack. House Houhei's estimates place the raid's total size at around forty to sixty unique corvettes, all with boarding parties; they were trying to capture ships for their fleet, from what their advisors can guess. Occasionally, six or seven frigates would pop out to escort a raider flight out of Houhei space, and they kept this up for three days or so until they drove the Pact back to Cetus, capturing about twenty of their raider vessels; unfortunately, each of their captains scuttled the ship before the Houhei could inspect even one, and interrogators could only coax out little more than a few sentences from most of them: that "we have plenty more".

The officers would not in fact be directed to the Adjutant for questioning for once, because House Houhei knew better than that. It would be a good thing to ask Eirin about later, though, and so you put that in your journal. As for the size of the Pact fleet... well, it's nice to know they probably didn't send more than a fifth of their total fleet in that attack, because now you could probably get a better guess of it's real size. It really is far bigger than what you expected, though assuming their cruisers and frigates all suck as much as their corvs, the war might last 'only' a year longer than expected. You resolve to ask Eirin a little something about their fleet too, but there's still one more article left... the Princess. Or more exactly, sightings of the Princess, the most prized of scoops. This, the article announces, is the very first time in twelve years that Princess Kaguya's been seen outside the Capital, and that this is the most exclusive footage ever to exist. The article reads just a little like a Heiseimi Colony tabloid, with speculation as far as the eye can see, but all COMNET really knows from their footage is that Kaguya boarded Serenity Station last Thursday, met up with the Adjutant, whispered something to her, and then left on one of Eirin's cruisers. What they think might've happened includes anything from a major national crisis, which doesn't make sense when she almost always sends a communique to Eirin for that, to a night out on the whole freezing Empire... which really makes no sense at all, though it must be entertaining to consider. So that's three things to ask Eirin.

***[JOURNAL] updated.***

At the very bottom is a large gallery of the footage COMNET managed to get, both in clip and picture form. The full video clips actually won't load, due to sheer number of people all trying to watch the clips; instead, you have only the pictures to look at. All they have left are individual frames, the Princess' radiant form blocked off nearly every time by her stern Reisen escorts, but one shot - one lucky, perfect shot - shows her just partly unhindered, an absolute godsend for the cameraman... and you can see why those pictures are in such high demand, just a little. Certainly, you don't remember her looking that nice in any of her teleconferences to Yagokoro Palace. Or to the Officer's Academy, for that matter. And they made damn sure she looked absolutely beautiful that time... it's just too bad the article says almost nothing of use about her.

With a sigh, you close the article, looking up the fleet's status next; a starmap fills the screen, markers overlaying the constellations, and you can see the six main fleets, along with your own smaller fleet as a tiny dot in the cosmos. You look up your reserves, and two more dots show up, one on Beta Aquilae, the other on Sol... of course, you have to turn off the stars to easily see them. The two groups resolve themselves into lists:

{FLEET STATUS, IMPERIAL GUARD}
* 1ST GUARD, patrolling Sol; assigned to Phobos Shipyards in Sol
* 3RD ELITE, patrolling Aquarius; assigned to Fort Shinsei in Alp. Aquarius
* 4TH ELITE, assigned to Fort Shinsei in Alp. Aquarius; undergoing reconnaissance in Mira, Thet. Ceti
* 5TH GUARD, guarding Gamma-2 Sagittarii; assigned to Infinite Gate in Gamma-2 Sagittarii
* 6TH GUARD, undergoing repairs at Phobos Shipyards in Sol
* 7TH ELITE, undergoing unknown mission in deep space; assigned to Lunar Capital

{RESERVE SHIPS, 7TH ELITE, TF 8.2}
* Frigates INS CARRIER OF SINS AND BURDENS, INS SENTIMENTALITY OF WAR, INS DAWNRISE docked at Lunar Capital
* Corvettes INS VENGANCE, INS REMEMBERANCE, INS ETERNAL VICTORY, Frigate INS INEVITABILITY, docked at Shipyard Four One in Beta Aquilae; INS INEVITABILITY undergoing retrofitting at Shipyard Four One
*3x UNKNOWN FRIGATE, in transit to Lunar Capital

Aside from the three unknown ships, that sounds about right. Looking up the status of the last three, it turns out that they're the defector ships that were part of Yoakeya's group, but none of them have captains... or crew, for that matter. All crew on the ships are "undergoing investigation", it says.
>> No. 13649
For most of the rest of the day, you spend your time like this, reading the (useless) news, looking at the blurry stars outside, even looking up the civilian COMNET, which won't stop talking about the pictures of Kaguya. And, as you drift off despite the light, you very nearly smash your head into your desk.

It's around then you know to probably go to sleep, and so you change out of your clothes, and lay in the bed. Lights out again; windows off, and once again, night.

It feels like hours before you fall asleep, but once you do, it claims you quickly, as if dragging you off with a dozen hands. You'd be thankful, if you were fully conscious.

You feel... like falling. Like dissolving into air, distributed into an infinity... but the feeling ceases. And so you dream...

[ ] ...of the color of her scarlet eyes.
[ ] ...of the warmth of her loving smile.
[ ] ...of the way she would hold you.

~

I'm back. But now I suck. But... I'm back.

Fuck you, obstructions.
>> No. 13651
[ ] ...of the way she would hold you.
>> No. 13654
[x] ...of the way she would hold you.
>> No. 13657
[ ] ...of the way she would hold you.
>> No. 13667
Oh yeah, doing first to five again.
>> No. 13669
[x] ...of the way she would hold you.

I... I JUST DIED IN YOUR ARMS TONIGHT...
>> No. 13677
[ ] ...of the way she would hold you.

That's five. Now get to writing.
>> No. 13682
~

[X] ...of the warmth of her loving smile.
>> No. 13707
When you open your eyes again, there is starlight where you look up. There are the stars in the twilight everywhere around you, and for a moment you almost try to reach for them, as if by the suggestion of some alien consciousness - but the feeling fades, replaced by the dull pang of the impending end. It is night soon enough, and tomorrow, you will be far, far away from here again, back in some hell to be driven to a new breaking point you never considered. Tomorrow, you will have to return to the unending grind... tomorrow, and it'll be another year to get a week back here, on this little hill, to watch the sun set with little Reisen in your arms...

...But of course, she'll be a little less little by then. Perhaps, she might be older. Possibly, she might even grow taller; and the thought hits almost as hard as the fact that tomorrow is soon. But, of course, you get a look at her, at the way she can just sleep in your lap without a care in the world, and you figure that all doesn't matter, because she'll still be Reisen, and she'll still never leave your side, one way or another.

You pick her up - either she has gotten lighter, or you have gotten stronger - and her embrace is tight, even in her sleep. She mumbles for her sister, for big sister, and you tell her she's right there, that she'll always be there for her.

Her grip tightens for the barest of moments, and you smile just a little as you begin the walk back to the Palace. Soon, you are past gates, past guards, by her bed; and with the greatest reluctance, you set Reisen down on her bed, carefully detaching her from your body before covering her in the thick blankets. She pouts a little; in response, you tuck her in, too, kissing her forehead as you do so, and she sighs happily in her sleep, finally quelled.

As you turn out the lights for her, you look back at her pale form one last time, and you leave, silent as the air. You feel an odd warmth, sort of like a loving hug... and with it, something like "goodnight".

"Goodnight to you too," you whisper back, walking away into tomorrow. And rest well.

You will see her soon, you understand.
>> No. 13708
File 123364219520.jpg - (58.20KB, 727x848, jupiter_io.jpg) [iqdb]
13708
Blinking awake, you feel as if falling back into your body, like only seconds ago you were a bunch of... pieces, for lack of a better word, and that only now you are coming back together. One by one, various unpleasant feelings bombard you - first fear, then anger, then revulsion and resignation - and as each second passes, the sensation amplifies, until it is like a cacophony of agonizing, rotting thought...

And then it just ends, dropping out at some merciful point in time. After a few minutes, you find the will to turn over and sit up; the lights cut on, and the window-panels open, showing stars. Normal, not blue-shifted stars, asplatter on every view; Jupiter to the left, in fact, nice and in the proper colors and everything. You look around, very slowly for some other thing to come and scare you completely to death, but there is nothing, of course. Just... a bad dream, or afterdream, more accurately.

It still takes you another five minutes to want to get out of bed, though.

[ ] Call up the bridge.
[ ] Calm down, and get dressed.
[ ] Equip gun. Now.
>> No. 13709
[x] Calm down, and get dressed.
>> No. 13711
When you have poorly understood psychic abilities, and you get a bad feeling, you don't ignore it.

[x] Equip gun. Now.
>> No. 13715
hooray for regular updates!

[x] Equip gun. Now.
[x] Call up the bridge.

Let them tell you that everything is green on their end, dispel the fear that your ship has been hijacked by rabbit ninjas while you were asleep.
>> No. 13717
Wouldn't want to go to the bridge undressed, now would we?

In this order:
[X] Equip gun. Now.
[X] Call up the bridge.
[X] Calm down, and get dressed.

>>13715
>hooray for regular updates!
it couldn't be better said, we are glad to have you back, QWL!
>> No. 13718
>>13717

Aw, you're all making me blush~.
>> No. 13719
[x] Call up the bridge.
>> No. 13732
[X] Calm down, and get dressed.
[X] Equip gun. Now.
[X] Call up the bridge.
>> No. 13738
Alright, I'm going to writan tomorrow, since it's midnight over here.

I've got one question, while you wait (a very short time, hopefully): what do you think just happened?
>> No. 13739
File 123381113315.jpg - (19.98KB, 277x360, itsatrap.jpg) [iqdb]
13739
>>13738
>> No. 13743
>>13738

Reisen had a dream, but something went weird.

>"Goodnight to you too," you whisper back, walking away into tomorrow. And rest well.

The italics could mean another voice.

>You will see her soon, you understand.

My theory: Kaguya dream-hacked Reisen, with the intent of both reminder of their closeness and to fry her nerves, so that when they meet the playing field will be as uneven in her favor as possible. It's entirely possible it's not even the same Reisen, as we know there's an entire line of them, along with this particularly ominous statement:

>because she'll still be Reisen, and she'll still never leave your side, one way or another.
>> No. 13744
[X] Calm down, and get dressed.

Starting the day sane seems like a wise choice. There will be opportunities for panic and paranoia later (probably).

>>13738
Someone else's dream.

>>13743
>The italics could mean another voice.
Or internal monologue, as distinguished from narration.
>> No. 13785
File 123398856882.jpg - (60.23KB, 640x340, bridge.jpg) [iqdb]
13785
Reluctantly, you leave the bed, berating yourself for being so nervous - though you still take your pistol from under the pillow - and you get your uniform from the locker, hanging it by the bathroom door. Pistol, you take with you, though you dial it down to quarter power... probably still enough to cut a person clean in half, if memory serves, and you're not in the mood to check.

The water is wonderfully, refreshingly warm, and you let yourself just not think for a second as you let it all hit you. Traitors. Rebellion. War. And... Kaguya. Princess. Not once in your life have you seen her in person. Only as beams of light, as a voice from a speaker that would look down at you and smile at how you've grown, and now she's going to have an audience with you... talk to you with her real voice, look at you with her real eyes. Test you, as the servant you are, rather than judge you as the child you were.

"I have use of you."

As the moment of calm dies, you get to washing up, and you realize quite clearly that you have no idea what you've found yourself in. You are going to be talking to a god, whether you believe that or not, and you don't know even a word of what you should and shouldn't say in a conversation where every breath likely counts; but that's par for the course, and you put off the thought for another time. Most likely, the moment your eyes meet.

Sister always did say you worked best under pressure.

~

After changing into your uniform - pistol by your side, of course - you check the time, and get a quick breakfast of sausage and omlette, calling up the bridge as you do. The clock reads 9:03 AM; far too late for you, under normal circumstances, but what's happened over the past few days hasn't really been normal circumstances.

With one chime, Brahe answers the call, sounding... well, like Brahe, you suppose.

[[Good morning, Captain.]], she says, and it's a relief just to hear her. [[You needed something, sir?]]

[[Yes,]] you answer, [[and good morning to you too, Lieutenant. How are we?]]

[[All green, sir.]], she replies cooly.

[[Any anomalous events in the past day?]]

[[No, sir.]]

[[And any channels open?]]

[[None, sir.]]

[[So you're all doing well?]]

[[Of course, Captain.]], she says matter-of-factly, and you chuckle quietly, pleased with the answers.

[[Good...]] Throwing away the plate, you leave your quarters, walking to the bridge. [[Then, that'll be all, Brahe.]]

[[Of course, sir. If I may ask...]]

[[You may.]]

[[...how are you, Captain?]]

[[Me?]], you ask, and as you do so, you stride right through the doors...

[ ] "Never better."
[ ] "Why don't you ask me in person?"
[ ] Or a write in, why not.

~

I think I'm getting my mojo back. And incidentally, that picture's pretty close to what I imagined the pit to be structured like.
>> No. 13786
[x] "Why don't you ask me in person?"

Voting this purely because of chance.
>> No. 13787
[x] "Why don't you ask me in person?"
[x] When she asks you in person: "Looking forward to another glorious day in the Guard. Every meal a banquet, every paycheck a fortune, every formation a parade."

Your crew is an excellent resource for confidence building. Make use of them.
>> No. 13788
Oh and also, [STATUS: DETAILED]
>> No. 13789
Ah, that's rather important, isn't it?

~

[STATUS: DETAILED]
'Resonant With Vivid Tones'
Commander RN-13B REISEN
COMMANDING: INS Night Unbroken (de facto)
AUTHORITY: Primary command over fleet
HEALTH: 95%
ARMOR: 100%
MAGIC: 100%
EFFECTS: LUNACY AFTERSHOCK II (-5% to Health, -10% to morale)

LOYALTY: EIRIN (Low)
RANK: COMMANDER
MAGIC LEVEL: 3
MAGIC GAIN PER TURN (BATTLE): 10%
SPELLS AVAILABLE:
(LUNATIC EYES)
[USABLE]
* INTIMIDATE Lvl. 2 (-60% Morale to Multiple targets for 2 turns, 50% Magic)
* RALLY Lvl. 1 (+100% Morale to Ship for 2 turns, 90% Magic)
[UNUSABLE]
* BATTLE MEDITATION LVL. 0 (+50 to Intelligence, -50% to morale for 3 turns, ** 150% Magic **)

(DANMAKU)
* NORMAL SHOT (15 dmg, 7% Magic)
* SNIPER SHOT (80 dmg, 35% Magic)

RESISTANCES:
+50% to Charm and Intimidate
+5% to Danmaku
-5% to Kinetic
+6% to All

TRAITS, NEW:
* Memories of Twilight (+12% Morale during battles in Yagokoro space, +6% to all resistances with Heiseimi or Eirin as fleet member, +8% Morale with Brahe or Patuxent as crew member)

Memories of Twilight: Your dreams pull back the fog, and what you see is strange. Alien landscapes that you know to be home, and curious thoughts in the familiar; but even so, it comforts you enough to look further. Your will to fight for home is stronger, and you fight better alongside your sisters and Eirin; however, a longing to see further beyond the veil of darkness has come with it. Your dreams may be stranger, or more disturbing, and what you choose to remember can hurt as much as it can help in the short run.

Including new [INVENTORY]:
*"Old Reliable": Alshaini mass driver pistol, standard issue for Reisen marines during the Reclamations; it's served you well since you were a child. Quarter power will kill a man; full power will kill a tank, though it'll also probably break your arm outside armor. These things don't come with an overdrive like Imperial guns for a reason.
>> No. 13796
[ ] "Why don't you ask me in person?"

I'm with
>>13786
on this one.
>> No. 13800
[x] "Why don't you ask me in person?"

Hmm. Wonder how this'll turn out.
>> No. 13802
>>13800

Awesomely, if I'm that pumped. Writan now.

This would also be a good time for questions. Not that I'm desperate, or anything.
>> No. 13818
"Well, why don't you ask me in person?", you finish, picking up confidence as you walk in, and everyone looks up to you before saluting - Brahe especially, who stands up at the sound of your voice, prompting the rest to follow. You take a good look at each of them, each still and ready - especially Heiseimi, her eyes bright and fierce again - and smiling back with a little hint of pride, you salute them back and take your seat. "At ease. And thank you all for yesterday."

"It was nothing, Captain - we're just glad to have you and our WO back on the deck.", Brahe says evenly, as the crew returns to their posts; the minimap flickers to life, obscuring them once more. "So how is your condition, sir?"

"Green as usual, Lieutenant, and looking forward to another glorious day in the Guard..." You flick through the various views on the map, stopping at the solar level. "Every meal a banquet, every paycheck a fortune, every formation a parade."

"Paradise, then?"

"As always.", you answer. "What's our status?"

"On track and on time, Captain.", she responds, bringing up the solar map and fleet indicators, all green; the map doesn't even bother to show ETA. "We are leaving Valiant Station in orbit around Europa, and preparing to warp to Luna momentarily; all ships in the fleet are at full strength, and moving at 70% of our maximum speed. ETA should be roughly ten seconds; the Defense Fleet has already been informed of our arrival, and will direct us to the Capital when we arrive... for now, that is all." The windows shrink back down to their tiny size, showing the view outside of the Sun; slowly but surely, everything fades into a gentle blue.

The engines flare to life, and the stars are a blur for just a few seconds... then, they slip back to little points, the little circle now replaced by Luna just above Earth, little dots flitting back and forth above and along its surface, which soon grow larger and larger as the ship approaches closer and closer - soon enough, you can see the markings of the Fleet, and even the city lights on Luna's surface, flickering like tiny fires. As the ship approaches, Patuxent cuts in with a report.

"Ah - it's the hailing request from the Defense Fleet, ma'am.", she says matter-of-factly. "Incoming from the INS Peach Orchard, signed by the Watatsuki's themselves -- audio only, however. Connecting now..."

The screen switches to the Defense Fleet's green coat of arms, and a cool, reserved female voice joins in. At first you don't recognize it well, but thinking back, you recall it to be the younger of the Watatsuki sisters, though you can't remember her name.

"Greetings, Commander RN-13B.", the girl says impassively, though you can tell she's a bit bored. "This is Princess Watatsuki no Yorihime" - that was it, Yorihime - "of the INS Peach Orchard. We have received word of your arrival and informed Princess Kaguya; your docking request has been granted. Proceed to the Gate of Tama and dock at Gate G-12; there will be a tram to the Palace there for you to board. That is all; Luna guide and save you. Peach Orchard out."

The channel closes almost as quick as it started, and pretty soon the Night continues on its way, entering the large gash of the Capital Docks unhindered. It gets dark almost immediately, but moments later column upon column of lights flare to life as if in response, as the ship moves past a dozen rows of ships.... Eventually, the descent stops.

"We're here, sir...", reports Nav. "Level G, Gate 12. Docking now..."

For a tense second, you recall the docking attempt at Serenity Station, the ship's systems being subverted for capture, but this time nothing happens, and the Night simply locks onto the gate. One of the windows to the left flashes green, then another; two seconds later, a message comes up on your minimap, indicating [DOCK COMPLETE].

"We're all locked in, Captain.", the Navigation Officer finishes.

"Good.", you reply. "No hacks, I hope?"

"No hacks, Captain.", Brahe answers, reading your mind. "Scans show no infantry incoming, either: only a high speed train approaching the port hatch, presumably the transport Princess Watatsuki was referring to. We should be safe."

[ ] Write-in.

~

Filler filler filler.
>> No. 13819
[x] "Commander is a high enough rank to drag around an attaché, right? Which one of you is coming with me? Anyone looking to make 'pit-officer of the month'?"
[x] "If I don't make it back, tell the Adjutant this: 'Solar winds carry / The fate of an empire / On Orion's Belt.'"

That ought to keep her guessing for a few decades.
>> No. 13820
>>13819
While clever and reeking of direction and confidence, I'm afraid that the wording may be a bit too strong. It's one thing to show your crew your determination, quite another to overcompensate. I'm afraid that maybe they might take your confidence as overeagerness brought on by trying to hide vulnerabilities. Probably just me thinking too much, but it can't hurt to be careful right? As for the second part, sure, that's fine. But I get the feeling that in the case something did happen to us, Eirin would merely shrug off any last messages. Probably because she would have had hand in our demise; directly or otherwise. Still, it would amusing if it became something that assailed her conscious mind just as she tried to drift off into sleep.

[x] "Any volunteers to accompany me for the shore party?"

Above wording is to be taken tenuously.
>> No. 13821
>Probably because she would have had hand in our demise; directly or otherwise.

It's been hinted since the beginning that the Princess and the Adjutant are working at cross purposes, even if they agree on the ultimate end. To wit, the genesis of Reisen's rogue assault on the rebels and the resulting memory loss. In that first dream, she had orders from the Princess, the only one who could equal Eirin in terms of mindfuckery.
>> No. 13823
[x] "Commander is a high enough rank to drag around an attaché, right? Which one of you is coming with me? Anyone looking to make 'pit-officer of the month'?"

This wording is better.
>> No. 13828
File 123410457012.jpg - (99.19KB, 450x450, goddamnit.jpg) [iqdb]
13828
I would like to say before you wandbagon that this is probably the last moment you get to gather information before meeting Kaguya, and also that I am an idiot, because I didn't think to mention that before.

Seriously. I dumb. I gotta beg forgiveness on that one.
>> No. 13832
>that this is probably the last moment you get to gather information before meeting Kaguya

There's not much I can think of that would help in regards to Kaguya, since we have no idea why she wants to see us. I want to get this over with.
>> No. 13836
not sure exactly on what to vote as of this moment in terms of what information to gather, but it seems to me that a more lighthearted response could help the crew morale. In this moment, i shall withhold.
>> No. 13837
>>13828
Honestly feels like the best to get information is to charge right in and find out why she wants to see us. Keeping moral up and taking someone with us as backup is all I can think of.
>> No. 13845
File 12342469967.jpg - (82.84KB, 600x750, Pickup_by_Talros.jpg) [iqdb]
13845
"Then it's time for me to be on my way...", you say. "Wouldn't want to keep the Princess waiting, after all." You stand up from the seat; as usual, the minimap fades away, letting you look at the crew before you leave. "I think I can take somebody with as an attache; if anyone wants to come along, stand up now. The rest... well, you're free until I get back, I suppose. Babysitting the ship, as usual."

Almost immediately, three people leave their seats: The Tactical Officer, whose name still eludes you even after hearing it, the Navigation Officer, looking a lot less timid than usual, and Heiseimi, who looks far more dead set on coming with you. The choice is hard to make... mostly, because you don't want to look like you're picking out Heiseimi as your favorite, but you remember that you hadn't actually cut her that much slack before on deck, and it becomes a good deal easier on your conscience to pick her to come along.

"Alright," you say as you beckon to Heiseimi, "You come with me, Heiseimi." Curtly, she nods, proceeding to your side; you look back to the rest of the crew. "Everyone else, you have your orders - I'll see you all soon. Luna keep you safe."

"She will, sir.", Brahe answers, a slight smile on her face. "And we'll be waiting for you." She salutes; you return the gesture. And with that, you leave, Heiseimi right behind you.

Finally, it's truly a new day.

~

Autosaving...

~

"So, how're you holding up, 'Seimi?", you ask, trying to get some words out of her. She's been rather quiet so far; her face, still hinting at that odd peace she didn't have before... though what it means, you don't know. It's a strange feeling, is all you really get. Something not unlike being aware that you are distinct from the rest of the world... something like getting a vision of what you must look like, something kind of out of body.

"Fine, I think...", she says, and Heiseimi smiles, a big but subdued kind of thing. Pensive. "...I know I feel nice, at the very least. But, I feel sort of scared too, you know?"

"Like you learned you're a piece of dust floating in the air?"

"Yeah, right on the mark..."

You feel her emotions, but it's different from the way it was yesterday, like hearing song or feeling presence and vibration, rather than the absolute knowing of before; and without much thought, you make a sound of agreement, just to reassure her... she already knows you understand.

"You feel the same way too, then?", Heiseimi asks rhetorically. "About the echoes, I mean."

You nod. "Yeah... and it's hard to think, too. It's not all that pleasant."

"Except for being able to do this, whatever it is." She pauses for a minute; something about Nav and the TO, and she smirks. "You do know they have names, right? And that they can hear us, just a little bit?"

"Well, it's gotten stuck in my head to call them that. Sort of a nickname, I guess." You try 'listening', but try as you might, you can only barely hear Gengetsu at most. "What do you mean, exactly? They can feel like us now?"

"Only they can't really talk."

Ah. "But they *can* talk, regardless." You take a deep breath; the air, a little more fresh than normal. "I think I get it, now. So, that part where they were unresponsive..."

"Was them trying to get used to this connection, yes. Or so they think; it sounds like they're not too sure themselves."

"We can always figure it out later.", you shrug, opening the port hatch doors. "Plenty of later to go around..."

The two of you step in, and there is darkness and fog and smells of chemical for a moment. And then, light again. You board the train - remarkably posh, looking more luxurious than most houses - and the airlock shuts again, the train's gold-etched door following shortly after with a ding while the engine revs up.

"...So, like I was saying." you continue, as you sit down in one of the train's silken seats, "How are you, sister? How'd your day go? Or start, more exactly."

"Hmm..."

Heiseimi, leaning beside you, shuts her eyes, pausing for a long while. Alien. Uncomfortable. But pleasant... not a bad surprise, though it would take some getting used to.

"...I guess the best words would be that I woke up to something new.", she answers. "It was murder on the head, I can say that. For an hour or so, my head hurt so bad I didn't want to get up; not to mention the way the room was spinning. But then, it all ended in a second," - she snaps her fingers - "just like that. I called up Brahe, told her I was coming up finally, and got dressed - and here I am, more or less." Heiseimi laughs, a quick thing. "I've got to thank her when we get back... I don't think she wanted to let me sleep in, like she did with you. But that's not the strangest thing, really."

"What's the strange thing?"

"Well -"

At that precise moment, the train decides to be a dick, interrupting with the pinpoint timing only magic could design. "Attention,/", it says, somehow elegantly loud and booming, "The tram will begin its transit to the palace station momentarily. Please take a seat if possible./"

And without warning, the train rockets off through the tunnel.
>> No. 13846
File 123424708326.jpg - (49.61KB, 366x258, plains.jpg) [iqdb]
13846
As you recover from the sudden jolt, you see Heiseimi, very suddenly sprawled on cushions beside you. You help her up, as the train accelerates even further for a moment, before finally slowing to a manageable speed.

"Estimated time to the station is ten minutes./", booms the voice obnoxiously. "Please enjoy the trip./"

You give the train an ugly look - how, you don't know, you just look up to the signs on the wall - before checking on Heiseimi. She seems fine, other than being a little surprised at the motion.

"Are you alright, 'Seimi?"

She nods, brushing herself off as she sits up. "Yeah, I just got caught off-guard there...and thanks."

"No problem."

"Well, as I was saying... the strange part was this dream I had. It was odd; I was dreaming about carrying you to bed, I think, back when I was still training. But I felt something the whole time... kind of like somebody was watching through me. It wouldn't leave, not even when I woke up. But when I did, I started hearing things. Lots and lots of things, before it just started to hurt. Most of it was screaming - all unintelligible - but what I could distinguish, came from everywhere. I could hear all sorts of things, Brahe's voice, yours, the Adjutant's, even... and I found I could reach out as far as I liked. Hell, I could hear things from people on Alshain... but then, I tried reaching out towards Sagittarius. And it got... odd."

"What do you mean?", you ask, eyebrow raised.

"It got odd odd, I mean. I started hearing colors, shapes - if that's even possible - and then I started seeing in all kinds of spectrums. It was like getting my head thrown in a blender. And it just got worse and worse with each sense - until at some point, I think it saw me."

You look at her in disbelief. "It 'saw' you?"

"Yes.", Heiseimi confirms, nodding quickly. "It knew I was looking at it, or hearing it, or whatever it was I was doing... and then, it tried to talk to me."

You pause. "What's 'it'?"

"I don't know. It started by trying to tell me its name, but I'm not entirely sure exactly what species it is. Just that it's curious. Naive. And very strong, as far as telepaths go, though I know all of two, counting 'it'. It told me things, that it was from Aquilla, that it had a Lunarian mother, and that it was the first. And it kept insisting on that, that there were more, but that there were others before it - exactly 200. That was all I really caught... At that point, my head started hurting, like I said. And that's it."

"That's it?"

"That's it.", Heiseimi repeats, her eyes closed. "The strange thing."

"...Are you sure you're mentally fit for duty, sister?"

"Wha- of course I am! Sometimes strange things happen in the line of duty!" She opens an eye. "And you're one to talk, with this trance you have. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. You just wait until we meet this thing..."

"...Assuming it exists."

"Which it does." Heiseimi sniffs. "Hey, Reisen? Tell me something. If it's not out of my authority."

"Shoot."

"Why does the Princess want to see you, anyway?"

You pause. "Honestly, I have no idea... but if my meeting with the Adjutant is anything like it, though, it definitely won't be fun."

"You think maybe it might be because of the battle?", she suggests.

"Not unless she's seeing all of the other captains; as far as I can tell, we didn't do anything of real significance, aside from shooting at things, which is what we usually do. Did the rest of the fleet follow us into the Gate?"

Heiseimi shakes her head.

"Well then," you continue, "I have no clue as usual."

As you say these words - the last three or so, to be more exact - the windows are suddenly flooded with light, as the train exits the tunnel... but what you see is surreal.

It is a bright, sunny field streching out into infinity, with clouds in the sky. And out in the distant sky, a flotilla of ships, solid green: the Defense Fleet. This, somehow, is the Lunar Capital...

And then, buildings. Lots of them. Watchtowers. Houses. A wall... it becomes a blur, until somewhere along the way, the train slows to a halt in front of a troop of Guardsmen Marines.

The doors open, and with perfect timing, the marines fall to both sides of the door, a single helmetless one proceeding into the train. Her eyes are scarlet, deep blood red; her hair, lilac like your own. Her skin, pale... the all too familiar tone of those born and raised in suit armor.

A Reisen.

She looks at you, with stern, discriminating eyes; then, to Heiseimi in front of you. Her eyes narrow in disdain for a moment - probably she's too young to have been out in the world - but she subdues her anger, bowing to you calmly.

"The Princess bids you good morning, Commander.", the Reisen says cooly. "Please follow me." You both get up to follow her; however, she stops Heiseimi. "You will have to leave your... assistant here. If you would please."

[ ] Who the hell does this canjob think she is? You'll take who you please with you.
[ ] Give the brat a good threatening. (Write-ins, please.)

~

My first wall~
>> No. 13848
[x] Give the brat a good threatening. (Write-ins, please.)
-[x] Use spell: Lunatic Eyes, Intimidate Lvl. 2
-[x] "That's no way to address a superior officer, marine! Give me your name, rank, and serial!"
-[x] "I don't know what they teach you soft-bodies on Luna nowadays, but when I was in the Corps, when you approach a senior officer you salute and hold the salute until the senior officer returns the salute! Now let's try it again, marine!"
-[x] If you get any guff, interrupt her: "Don't address a superior officer unless he or she addresses you in a way to make a reply necessary!"
-[x] "Tell you what I'm going to do for you, marine, since you seem so remedial in military etiquette, while I have my audience with the Princess, you are going to show Lt. Heiseimi here around the palace, and when I return, we'll see if any of my subordinate's competence has worn off on you. How does that that sound to you, marine?"

>Almost immediately, three people leave their seats: The Tactical Officer, whose name still eludes you even after hearing it, the Navigation Officer, looking a lot less timid than usual, and Heiseimi, who looks far more dead set on coming with you.

The three officers who we mindfucked the hardest yesterday. Interesting.

>"Was them trying to get used to this connection, yes. Or so they think; it sounds like they're not too sure themselves."

Not used to it because they're not rabbits obviously, but it's good to know that if there are lasting effects, they're not entirely negative.

>"I don't know. It started by trying to tell me its name, but I'm not entirely sure exactly what species it is. Just that it's curious. Naive. And very strong, as far as telepaths go, though I know all of two, counting 'it'. It told me things, that it was from Aquilla, that it had a Lunarian mother, and that it was the first. And it kept insisting on that, that there were more, but that there were others before it - exactly 200. That was all I really caught... At that point, my head started hurting, like I said. And that's it."

A wild guess, but the half-rabbit from the Dusklight?
>> No. 13849
File 123427141643.jpg - (19.80KB, 383x431, cylon.jpg) [iqdb]
13849
>>13848

A good guess, but not quite. The answer lies out on the brighter shores of the cosmos, where the weaver girl travels from time to time. Konkaze is fairly unique, I'll give you that; he's just not one of many copies.

Though he does have a plan.
>> No. 13851
[x] Give the brat a good threatening. (Write-ins, please.)
-[x] Use spell: Lunatic Eyes, Intimidate Lvl. 2
-[x] "That's no way to address a superior officer, marine! Give me your name, rank, and serial!"
-[x] "I don't know what they teach you soft-bodies on Luna nowadays, but when I was in the Corps, when you approach a senior officer you salute and hold the salute until the senior officer returns the salute! Now let's try it again, marine!"
-[x] If you get any guff, interrupt her: "Don't address a superior officer unless he or she addresses you in a way to make a reply necessary!"
-[x] "Tell you what I'm going to do for you, marine, since you seem so remedial in military etiquette, while I have my audience with the Princess, you are going to show Lt. Heiseimi here around the palace, and when I return, we'll see if any of my subordinate's competence has worn off on you. How does that that sound to you, marine?"

This is pretty much perfect. I wanted to write a better dressing-down but I just can't. This.
>> No. 13855
>>13849
>>cylon.jpg

Oh. Oh shit.
>> No. 13862
[x] Give the brat a good threatening. (Write-ins, please.)
-[x] Use spell: Lunatic Eyes, Intimidate Lvl. 2
-[x] "That's no way to address a superior officer, marine! Give me your name, rank, and serial!"
-[x] "I don't know what they teach you soft-bodies on Luna nowadays, but when I was in the Corps, when you approach a senior officer you salute and hold the salute until the senior officer returns the salute! Now let's try it again, marine!"
-[x] If you get any guff, interrupt her: "Don't address a superior officer unless he or she addresses you in a way to make a reply necessary!"
-[x] "Tell you what I'm going to do for you, marine, since you seem so remedial in military etiquette, while I have my audience with the Princess, you are going to show Lt. Heiseimi here around the palace, and when I return, we'll see if any of my subordinate's competence has worn off on you. How does that that sound to you, marine?"

This is fine. In b4 special marine detachment part of a special organization and not subject to normal rank and protocol.
>> No. 13867
>>13862

Oh, those are Guardsmen, all of those greeting you. Your threats are as good as gold menacing with spikes of gold~

Writan. Though it's school time, so the wait will be a little longer.
>> No. 13872
>>13867

hooray!
>> No. 13888
File 123441977578.jpg - (20.84KB, 235x235, ermey.jpg) [iqdb]
13888
You blink for a second. "Assistant?" And she's giving you orders? She thinks you have to follow her...

Who the hell does this kid think she is, telling you what to do?

As she stares up at you coldly, you focus, taking a single step forward. Then another, over to the platform. And another, to prep yourself. Focus. Focus. Like a blaze in the sky.

You look up at her, and you can almost see the fire of your eyes reflected in hers; a split second, and her only response is shrinking pupils. That's good. On the right track.

Rage. Rage. Balancing act. She opens her mouth, like it'll do anything good.

"Sir... I said..."

"You said nothing, maggot!"

A tremendous shout, shattering the air before you, raising her hair, freezing the canjob like a statue. She flinches; you edge closer, as you begin to shout at the marine with all the vitriol you can muster.

"That's no way to address a superior officer, marine!" you bark, shoving your index finger into her chestplate. "Give me your name, rank, and serial!"

She stares up at you, barely trembling.

"Are you deaf, marine! Or do you not know your name!"

"s-seinor chie-"

"I can't hear you!"

She shuts her eyes. "S-Senior Chief Petty Officer Kantai, serial RN-07-224 sir!"

"And in only two tries!", you proclaim to the troop, pacing away from her; you spare her only a glance over your shoulders, before your turn around. "I don't know what they teach you soft-bodies on Luna nowadays, but when I was in the Corps, when you approach a senior officer you salute and hold the salute until the senior officer returns the salute! Now let's try it again, marine!"

"S-sir, I..."

"Don't address a superior officer unless he or she addresses you in a way to make a reply necessary!"

She shuts her eyes again, tighter this time, and silent only for a fraction of a second; refusing to show a shred of fear, she quickly salutes to you, shouting in panic:

"SENIOR CHIEF PETTY OFFICER KANTAI, SERIAL RN-07-224 SIR!"

You smirk, returning the salute, and when she finally summons up the courage to open her eyes, you bring your hand back to your side.

"Now that's more like it!", you approve, staring straight into her eyes as you approach her again. "Tell you what I'm going to do for you, marine... since you seem so remedial in military etiquette, while I have my audience with the Princess, you are going to show Lt. Heiseimi here around the palace" - you point to Heiseimi, several feet behind you - "and when I return, we'll see if any of my subordinate's competence has worn off on you. How does that that sound to you, marine?"

"Absolutely perfect, sir!"

"Good!", you finish in Northern Alshaini. "Now lead the way, 07; you just wasted three minutes."

Kantai nods quickly, and sniffling once, turns to lead you to the Princess while her troop forms up the rear; looking to Heiseimi, you wave your hand ahead, and the two of you follow her - though Heiseimi still looks a bit surprised at what just happened. You fall behind to her, keeping pace with her; for a minute, she just looks away awkwardly.

"...What?", you ask half-amusedly.

"Oh, i-it's, uh, it's nothing...", Heiseimi replies awkwardly, scratching the back of her head. "Just... I didn't expect that, you know? Didn't know you had that in you."

You laugh quietly. "Well, I got it from you... mostly."

"...Is that so..."

"It is.", you answer with a laugh, and the two of you begin the long path to the Princess.

~
>> No. 13891
File 123442014714.png - (812.40KB, 1300x1194, little_rabbit_by_the_moon.png) [iqdb]
13891
Over the course of an hour, you learn that the Lunar Palace is a far larger place than even the word "Palace" implies. Really, it's more like a city... traveling across miles of streets and highways, you see all kinds of things, from the festivals running their way through some streets like red-white slugs, to the massive shipyards on the edge of the Palace, a corvette or two occasionally lifting from the immense factories to join their brethren in the sky. You see parades of courtesans following their lords and ladies, small vessels slipping through the skyscrapers, and you see billions and billions of people make their way across their home - and to think they are all nobles, every single one of them.

It's unbelievable. At least, until you come over the meeting place. The shuttle screams over a wall teeming with turrets and cannon, and then without warning, you are flying over miles of pristine hills and meadows.

"Senior Chief," you ask, "What am I looking at?"

The girl frowns slightly. "T-The Princess' courtyard, sir... or rather, one of them."

"One of them?"

"There are three others like this one, Commander."

"I see...", you muse, letting the fact sink in. Four of these... landscapes... and they're all for her private use.

"Our ETA?", you ask, feigning boredom.

"Right now, sir.", Kantai answers with recovering confidence, and with exact timing, the shuttle rumbles as it slowly touches down on a building overlooking the courtyard; she opens the door, helping you out before continuing to lead ahead. "Her Eminence is a floor above this way, Commander..."

"Then lead the way."

"Sir!" Saluting to Heiseimi, you follow the marine up the stairs into the building, itself also filled with light just from the windows; she stops right before a squad of ornately decorated guards watching over a glass door.

"You there! Guards!" Kantai points to one with a gold-silver pauldron. "The Princess' rendezvous is here. Open the doors!"

The other guards look to what must be the leader; she (or he, perhaps) nods to one, before parting to the door's sides; with little more than a slight woosh, the doors slide open, even more light pouring in through the new opening... It looks like the outside balcony is open roof, from the amount of light.

"She's right through those doors, Commander.", Kantai says quietly. "I'll return when you have finished business with the Princess, sir."

You nod to her. "Good... make sure you come on time, SCPO. And give the Lieutenant a good view of the Palace, got it?"

She salutes. "Crystal, sir!"

"Excellent.", you grin, returning the salute. "Carry on, Senior Chief."

Kantai pouts a little, but nods, and with nothing else, returns up the flight of stairs. The guards beckon; the light beckons; and with the Princess Kaguya's silence beckoning, you pass through the doors. They shut behind you...

And then you see only her, the Heavenly Princess, high noon before her, gazing at you with frendly, bemused eyes. A strange smile, enigmatic though kind... and as you look at her, the light seems to illuminate her.

It is a far cry from the scene on the other side of the door. But you think nothing of it, your mind occupied by this new vision.

She is... beautiful. Radiant, as gods should be - though, of course, you know that she's not really a god. But she is close enough.

"Kaguya..." you mumble, and she smiles wonderfully, as though it has been something she has awaited for a long time; slowly, you kneel to her. "Princess... my liege."

"Reisen.", she says, and her voice is so stunningly serene, so very moonlight. "Rise, and come to me."

Her voice is so... unlike, so plain nice, and without hesitation, you sit beside her, next to the banister of the balcony. And she cups your chin, stroking the side of your cheek.

It is not unlike the feel of sunlight, and you smile, feeling her regret melt away. It... seems right. So you let her go on.

"It has been a long time since I last saw you, hasn't it..."

[ ] Writein (You might want to plan out multiple questions.)
~
Fuck yes. Also, I fail at proofreading formatting marks.
>> No. 13893
>"It has been a long time since I last saw you, hasn't it..."

[x] How long has it been? You can't know if the Adjutant saw fit to mention, but your sense of recall is not in the best shape these days.
[x] Ask if "Kantai" is one of her favorites. If so, state that she's been spoiled, but that you'd prefer it if Kaguya were to keep spoiling her.
[x] Mention how calming an aura she has; very different from Eirin's. You'd have hoped it would've had a modulating effect on the Adjutant mood, but she seems stressed out recently.
[x] Ask her right out: Is the Adjutant planning a coup? And if not, what is this project that she has been canvassing support for the minor houses for?
[x] Ask her about the half-rabbit from the Dusklight. Does he have some claim that would lead the rebels to using him as a figurehead?
[x] Offer to put yourself at her disposal, but stipulate that you cannot do so for the lives of your crew, unless you're given official orders.
[x] You have a single request of her, and that is to try her hardest not to add to the billions of deaths that already weigh down on Eirin's conscience.
>> No. 13897
[x] How long has it been? You can't know if the Adjutant saw fit to mention, but your sense of recall is not in the best shape these days.
[x] Mention how calming an aura she has; very different from Eirin's. You'd have hoped it would've had a modulating effect on the Adjutant mood, but she seems stressed out recently.
[x] Ask the princess about the current state of the Empire - if recent developments haven't worried her
[x] ...And if she has a vision of how to deal with them
[x] Try to find out how she wishes you to behave throughout, getting her to give you orders if necessary
[x] Finally, attempt to ascertain just how much she and the Adjudant are in line together

While I have no real problems with the previous write in, I think that perhaps a bit more subtlety might be in order. I very much doubt she'll give us straight answers about her, or any one else's, plans but I don't think it would be necessarily beneficial to show just how much we question our beloved Adjudant. We're, after all, a supposedly loyal subject and shouldn't show our unease about other supposedly loyal subjects unless she brings up the topic somehow. Well, to be truthful, I'd like to see how the conversation goes before committing to anything like speculation. For all we know she might just stonewall us and only offer cryptic pieces of the puzzle.
>> No. 13901
Requisite request for votes :<.
>> No. 13911
[x] How long has it been? You can't know if the Adjutant saw fit to mention, but your sense of recall is not in the best shape these days.
[x] Mention how calming an aura she has; very different from Eirin's. You'd have hoped it would've had a modulating effect on the Adjutant mood, but she seems stressed out recently.
[x] Ask the princess about the current state of the Empire - if recent developments haven't worried her
[x] ...And if she has a vision of how to deal with them
[x] Try to find out how she wishes you to behave throughout, getting her to give you orders if necessary
[x] Finally, attempt to ascertain just how much she and the Adjudant are in line together
>> No. 13912
[x] How long has it been? You can't know if the Adjutant saw fit to mention, but your sense of recall is not in the best shape these days.
[x] Mention how calming an aura she has; very different from Eirin's. You'd have hoped it would've had a modulating effect on the Adjutant mood, but she seems stressed out recently.
[x] Ask the princess about the current state of the Empire - if recent developments haven't worried her
[x] ...And if she has a vision of how to deal with them
[x] Try to find out how she wishes you to behave throughout, getting her to give you orders if necessary
[x] Finally, attempt to ascertain just how much she and the Adjudant are in line together
>> No. 13927
The writan train is now leaving the station; estimate 8-12 hours before arrival.

Kaguya~
>> No. 13935
>>13927

hooray!
>> No. 13957
WHERE ARE THE UPDATES QWL
>> No. 14105
I need my intrigue fix ;_;
>> No. 14160
[x] How long has it been? You can't know if the Adjutant saw fit to mention, but your sense of recall is not in the best shape these days.
[x] Mention how calming an aura she has; very different from Eirin's. You'd have hoped it would've had a modulating effect on the Adjutant mood, but she seems stressed out recently.
[x] Ask the princess about the current state of the Empire - if recent developments haven't worried her
[x] ...And if she has a vision of how to deal with them
[x] Try to find out how she wishes you to behave throughout, getting her to give you orders if necessary
[x] Finally, attempt to ascertain just how much she and the Adjudant are in line together
>> No. 14275
QWL where are you?
>> No. 14355
Just when this story was to start up again, it dies at its climax.
>> No. 14362
>>14355
I wouldn't think this is the absolute climax of the story. On the other hand, if QWL doesn't come back...
;_;
>> No. 14780
Update damn you!
>> No. 14781
Ame did this last time, so I guess it's my turn; QWL hasn't shown up on #eientei or anywhere else since roughly his last post. I don't think the story was abandoned since he seemed to be comfortable writing last we spoke. It's... just one of his extended leaves of absence again and not something else hopefully. If there's any word, I'll let you guys know.

I miss this story ;_;
>> No. 14935
>>14781
Let me be the first to thank you, Teruyo. Hopefully QWL will return in good condition soon~
>> No. 15059
There's a QWL in IRC right now and it says it's writing, By the way.
>> No. 15066
>>15059
It's true!
>> No. 15069
>>15059

Hooray!
>> No. 15221
BUT... THE FUTURE REFUSED TO CHANGE.
>> No. 15445
come back to us QWL
>> No. 15598
I doubt you want a ghost, but alright.

It appears I'm shit tier again, because I can't write an update in three godfucked months. And I don't want to say, "I'm working on it", because that's a terrible omen. But you can't go lower than dead, so yeah. I'm working on it, although I can't seem to find my voice. Faggots don't quit.

- THEY DO SUCK, THO.
>> No. 15599
>>15598
hooray!
>> No. 15710
>I can't write an update in three godfucked months.

Who cares if it's not perfect? Who cares if it doesn't match what we voted for in the least? Who cares if Kaguya does a 180 and uses mindh4x to cow protagonist? Who cares if it takes the plot in a complete different direction? Just write. Just fucking write.
>> No. 15880
NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP
>> No. 16052
Anon checks this daily. If you are not going to continue this, Anon would appreciate you voicing some closure toward its fate.

Otherwise, just know that at least one reader is waiting in wonder for what will come next.
>> No. 16605
QWL been spotted at all recently?
>> No. 16610
>>16605
Yes, about 2-4 times in the last week.
>> No. 16619
>>16610

Would you kindly tell him to get back to work?
>> No. 16620
>>16619
Oh, he knows already that he should be working. I ask almost every day.
>> No. 16749
Anon waited for you, QWL.
>> No. 16848
Dead?
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts] [Top]


[Delete or report post]
Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason  


[Switch to Mobile Page]
Thread Watcher x