[Return]
Archived Thread
File 126887920858.jpg - (203.81KB , 800x600 , d9b07debd50e86229494de6d96826227.jpg ) [iqdb]
21220 No. 21220
As a result of my /gensokyo/ thread, by the will of the votes, I have begun this story.

-----

First, what is your class?

[ ] Knight - The noble warriors of old. Lacking in magic and speed, they more than make up for it in power, and few foes can pierce their defenses. Their code of honor is legendary.

[ ] Barbarian - Uncivilized but powerful nomads, these warriors are feared by even the mightiest armies. They disregard everything else in favor of a brutal, crushing attack, and leave destruction in their wake.

[ ] Brawler - Rough-and-tumble fighters, adept for any situation. They develop quick reflexes and low scruples, favoring their fists above all, but resorting to numerous armaments as the need arises. Underestimating them has been many an opponent's last mistake.

[ ] Paladin - Pillars of moral integrity and righteous upholders of law, these holy knights carry the blessing of their god into battle. Their divine gift allows them to save the bodies of their comrades and shield them from harm.

[ ] Battlemage - Hardened soldiers who have amassed a wealth of arcane knowledge, they mix sword and spell into a single, devastating machine. Unfortunately, time spent studying is time not spent in battle, so they are not quite as hardy than most of their cousins.

[ ] Ranger - Rangers are skilled warriors and wizened woodsmen, carrying with them an intimate knowledge nature and it's denizens. They have mastered the arts of combat with blade and arrow alike, and are fearsome fighters at any distance. A rare trait among warriors, they also exhibit a surprising ability at stealth.

-----

As you may have picked up, you are limited to a general "fighter" class. Each class will have different stats, a different selection of weapons and techniques, and will have some effect on your personality.
>> No. 21221
[x] Paladin
-[x] Dump all points into Charisma and Wisdom
-[x] Max Speechcraft skill ASAP
>> No. 21222
[x] Knight

A wall for one's allies.
>> No. 21223
[X] Knight
>> No. 21225
I'd sort of like to know what class Mary and Renko are before deciding, but...

[X] Brawler
>> No. 21226
[X] Ranger

Fight at any range, good with blades and arrows, AND stealth?

May as well have renamed that category 'ninja'
>> No. 21227
[X] Whatever class uses the most unconventional and improbable weapon.
>> No. 21228
>>21227

That would be 'Brawler,' with their fists and basically whatever else is handy. Including, possibly, stunned enemies.
>> No. 21229
[X] Brawler
>> No. 21231
[X] Ranger

I'm looking forward to this.
>> No. 21232
[X] Paladin

It probably won't beat the Knight as a tank, but it does bring a bit of versatility to the table. We don't even know if we're going to have a cleric on the team.
>> No. 21233
[x]Brawler
>> No. 21234
[X]Paladin
or
[X]Battlemage

Only a spirit/magic based attack can truly hurt/kill a youkai, common knowledge.
>> No. 21235
>>21234
I don't think we'd be facing strictly youkai otherwise why list the other classes?

And I have a question about the Paladin: Does his vows prevent threesomes? I was tempted to include more things just to be funny, but decided against it.
>> No. 21236
>>21225
When did it say they were in this?
>> No. 21238
[X] Ranger

>skilled warriors
>wizened woodsmen
>an intimate knowledge nature and it's denizens
>mastered the arts of combat with blade and arrow alike
>fearsome fighters at any distance.
>also exhibit a surprising ability at stealth.

I mean, come on...
>> No. 21239
>>21236

Before this started.

>>/gensokyo/3754

The Sealing Club being in the opening image for this thread might have been a hint, too.
>> No. 21241
[x] Ranger
>> No. 21242
[X] Paladin

Sure, a ranger sounds all good and stuff, but protecting comrades sounds like the easy path to any girls heart, with the exception of the undead.

Also, aren't mikos just holy maidens? and aren't youkai supposed to be weak to their powers?
I'll admit that i'm not that knowledgeable about the matter, but having an edge against youkai in a place full of them doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.
>> No. 21243
>>21242

Actually protection could go either way. Ranger does seem like more of an all-around choice, but I think the paladin here is the cleric/priest- oriented option. Sure he can protect, but the source is his divine gift. I think it depends more on the personality that our PC shapes up that determines his stance on protecting others.
>> No. 21244
>>21242
We're assuming that Youkai in this story are the same as in normal Touhou, I doubt that's the case if there's melee classes.

>[ ] Knight
Strong fighters, but their main feature of note is their defensive abilities. Their manners would be polite and chivalrous.

>[ ] Barbarian
Pure offensive class; but with various draw backs. I think our lead in this case would have poor manners, but a powerful manly charm.

>[ ] Brawler
Versatile fighters able to adjust to things. The personality would be more pragmatic than most, but might be good at jokes. The Jackie Chan class.

>[ ] Paladin
Another defensive class with greater emphasis on defense, with healing and protective powers. Offensively they're weaker than knights save if confronted with devils or the undead, then their might is hardly rivaled. They'd be Pious and perhaps innocent to a fault in terms of personality.

>[ ] Battlemage
Another versatile class, but as opposed to the brawer's situational talents, it's a more traditional mix of sword and magic. Basically a Red Mage. Personality would have signs of intelligence and wisdom, but their knowledge of the world might suffer.

>[ ] Ranger
All range offensive fighter with various skills. I fear their defenses are not as stout as a paladin's or knight's. They'd be quite knowledgable about the world and nature.
>> No. 21245
>>21226
>>21238
If this is like D&D, the ranger can't wear heavy armor, meaning he's a bit squishy (though not as bad as a wizard). Are you confident that someone else in the group will be tanking?
>> No. 21246
>>21245
Yeah I do realize each classes' weaknesses and such when I made my choice.

And despite what I said about Barbarians, I'm sure even despite the lack of armor, they're still pretty damn tough.
>> No. 21247
>>21246
Barbarians in D&D are almost unstoppable once in a rage and are fast enough to make up for the lack of heavy armor.

[x] Ranger
This would probably be the class that could take on the most varieties of situations, and if this is like D&D they are quite tough. Start with upping ranged and two-weapon fighting and go from there, although since this is Touhou it might be a good idea to up our charisma a bit. Being stuck in nature all your life tends to lower your ability to speak and cooperate with others.
>> No. 21248
[X] Battlemage
Besides hurling fireballs and hitting stuff with our slashy stick, we'll be able to buff our allies while de-buffing our opponents.

Not to mention being more on even ground if we have to fight Psycho!Yukari or anyone else who's mean and nasty.

Heck, we may be able to negate some abilities as well with this class.

And for the Patchy fans, This class is probably the best one to go for her route, due to having much more in common.
>> No. 21249
>>21248

... We don't even know whether Patchouli is going to be in this, or even on our side if she does show up. Or how the Dr. Q would write her. I'm not sure why you brought that up.
>> No. 21250
[x] Ranger
>> No. 21252
[x] Paladin

Faith is everything in Gensokyo~
>> No. 21253
[x] Paladin

Works for me~!
>> No. 21254
[x] Barbarian

The manliest of all classes.
>> No. 21255
[x] Ranger
>> No. 21256
Eh, might as well call it.

[X] Ranger

I'll start writing soon.
>> No. 21257
>>21244

You pretty much nailed it on the head. Except for barbarian, which is generally lacking in charm, manly or otherwise.
>> No. 21258
[X] Brawler

I might be drunk but I can still kick yo asses
>> No. 21259
>>21257
Really then how come Conan had women falling for him half the time?

I wonder about Mary and Ren's classes, better yet the other Touhous able to be allies.

>>21258
Oh look Aya in Charge mode just made her 5th lap.
>> No. 21261
File 126895081338.jpg- (388.43KB , 1600x1200 , cdc68656fd72d9d0a2d17d0f97e3c8b8.jpg ) [iqdb]
21261
And we're off~

-----

[X] Ranger

"Hey, are you awake?"

You breath in deeply, enjoying the cool breeze, and the refuge it brings from the smothering heat of the early summer.

"Hey."

A small, hard object bounces off your forehead. You open your eyes, raising a hand to shield them from the sunlight that filters through the leaves. With a groan you sit up and rub your head.

The blond girl steps closer, casually pushing her hair back out of her eyes. "You should respond when people call you, you know," she chides.

She's one of the girls from that occult club, isn't she?You can't seem to remember her name, though...

"What is it?"

It was something foreign sounding, wasn't it? She's been in your class for months, you should be able to remember it. M... ma...

"I've got something interesting to show you." She smiles as she says this.

Mary! Right, that's it.

"Where is it?" You cast a quick glance around.

"Not here," she says, shaking here head. She draws a folded piece of paper from her dress and presses it into your hands. "It's a new café that just opened. Meet me there after school, okay?"

With that, she turns and quickly walks back to the school building.

You examine the card, noting the map drawn on the back. Might as well, it's not like you've got anything better to do today. Besides, it could be interesting...

-----

Coffee Shop - Café Gensokyo
Friday, 4:11 PM


The bell jingles happily as you push open the door and step into the air conditioned room. Near the top of the sloped ceiling, a single-bladed fan spins lazily, stirring up a light breeze. The back wall is dominated by an intricate mural of a forest.

A tall, orange-blond woman with an apron comes out of the back to greet you.

"Welcome! What can I get for you?"

[ ] Coffee
[ ] Something to eat?
[ ] Ask about the name
[ ] "Are you the owner?"
[ ] "I'm just here to meet a friend."

-----

Hope the quality on this one's up to snuff. Feeling a little dazed today, for some reason.
>> No. 21262
[x] "I'm just here to meet a friend."
-[x] "But while I'm waiting, something to eat sounds nice"
>> No. 21263
[X] Coffee
[X] "I'm here to meet a friend."
[X] Ask about the name

Off to a good start.
>> No. 21265
{Something to eat?
- {"Are you the owner?"}
- {Ask about the name}}
>> No. 21267
[X] Coffee
[X] "I'm here to meet a friend."
[X] Ask about the name

So we do have some experience with people, which is good. Are there going to be specified stats or are they general?
>> No. 21268
>>21267

I've spent about six hours alone working out the stats for the characters and balancing items, so yes, I think there will be specific stats.
>> No. 21272
[x] Coffee
[x] Ask about the name
[x] "Are you the owner?"
>> No. 21274
>>21268
Thank you.
>six hours
It's good to see a lot of time put into a section that some people just blow through like it's unimportant, only to find how horribly wrong they are. Whenever I'm the DM for my friends role-playing they tend to do this often. It really makes me mad, and the last thing you want when role-playing is an angry DM.
>> No. 21277
[X] Coffee
[X] "I'm here to meet a friend."
[X] Ask about the name

>>21274
I have the same problem.
>> No. 21278
[X] Coffee
[X] Something to eat?
[X] Ask about the name
[X] "Are you the owner?"
[X] "I'm just here to meet a friend."

> The back wall is dominated by an intricate mural of a forest.

Looks like we found where we enter Gensokyo. I think...

> A tall, orange-blond woman

Only person I can think of is Sukia, but she's not tall, and her hair is more of a complete orange than orange-blond. Am I missing someone?
>> No. 21281
>>21278

Well, Suika could have made herself taller, but I don't think it could be her. She seems too sober. It COULD be Ran though. Kitsune are known to be master shapeshifters. And of course, there's always everyone's favorite gap youkai.

On the even less likely side, it could be Reisen, who'd probably be using mind hax to change her appearance to the eyes of others.

Or...we could all just be overthinking this and it actually is just an NPC to help the story along.

Or just maybe...*goes to search PC-98 games character list again*
>> No. 21282
[Q] Coffee
[Q] "I'm here to meet a friend."
[Q] Ask about the name

Wins. I'll start writing and sosuch soon.
>> No. 21283
>>21281

So... out of curiosity, why did you think of Reisen, of all people? Just because she could change her appearance? If so, there's plenty of others: Nue, Koishi, or even Sunny (for added weirdness)

Not that I'm saying it's any of those, I just like to understand my audience a bit better.
>> No. 21284
>>21283

Well, I was just throwing Reisen out there as a wild guess out of left field. But I totally forgot Nue could change her appearance too. Koishi and Sunny probably could, too now that I think about it.

orz

Either way, I'm next to stumped about it, to be honest.
>> No. 21285
I think it's Maribel Han, especially if she's from an occult club.
>> No. 21286
File 126903065947.jpg- (21.02KB , 450x319 , captain_obvious_rock_gift.jpg ) [iqdb]
21286
>>21285

Really~? Whatever could have led you to that conclusion~?

>blond girl

>She's one of the girls from that occult club, isn't she?

>It was something foreign sounding, wasn't it? She's been in your class for months, you should be able to remember it. M... ma...

>Mary! Right, that's it.

ಠ_ಠ
>> No. 21287
>>21286

This woman is not Maribel, I will tell you that. If only for the reasons that:

1) she is an employee here, Maribel is not.
2) Maribel is not orange-blond, she's just straight up blond.
3) The person you are going to meet is Maribel, so you would have recognized her the instant you set foot inside.

So, in other news, I finally tore myself away for Durarara! and I'm getting back to writing. Hopefully the update will be done this evening, but if not, it should be up tomorrow morning.
>> No. 21289
I think it's most likely Ran
>> No. 21290
>>21287

I wasn't talking about the woman, though...

*herp derp moment of the day*

What I meant to say was that it can't be Maribel because we're about to meet her at that cafe.
>> No. 21291
>>21285
WOW me! I can't believe I just put that up. Please ignore this post. I can't delete posts for some reason.
>> No. 21311
File 126910277887.jpg- (172.68KB , 800x600 , 4a9113963725ff99defcf1541de781bc.jpg ) [iqdb]
21311
[X] Coffee
[X] "I'm here to meet a friend."
[X] Ask about the name

"I'm just here to meet a friend." You say, dismissively.

"Oh." Her gaze drops, ever so slightly, and the room feels a little less sunny.

"...I guess some coffee would be nice, though."

"Right away!" The cloud passes, and she begins to work.

You cast another glance around, noting how much larger the little shop seems from the inside.

"It's a rather... interesting name you've got here." You begin, casting about for some topic of conversation.

"It was the Owner's idea." Her gaze lifts in recollection. "She said it was... enchanting." She speaks softly, a hint of color appearing on her cheeks. "Ah, sorry. Here's your coffee. Anything else?"

You shake your head. "No, that's it."

"Thank you. I think your friends are waiting already." Giving you a slight bow, which you return, she retreats to the back of the store.

You take the steaming cup in one hand from the counter and head into the shop proper.

Wait, "friends?" Multiple? Who-

"You're late!" The short, brown-haired imp named Usami Renko announces this with gusto, bearing on of her more sinister grins. "You should have been here 13 minutes ago!"

"Don't be too harsh on him. He was busy flirting with the lady in the front." Typically, Mary's usual politeness has all but vanished in the other girl's presence.

In lieu of a response, you settle for disapproving silence and a blank stare.

"...oh come on, I was just kidding! Can't you take a joke..." She crosses her arms, grumbling to herself. Mary simply laughs.

"So, what is this "interesting thing" you wanted to show me?" You speak as you pull over a chair and sit down.

"Ah, you see, we found it the first time we came here, back on the first day it opened," Renko is the one to answer "well, actually, Mary found it first." She pauses to take a drink of her coffee. Taking the opportunity, Mary picks up where Renko's narration.

"I was in a bit of a hurry, so I barely noticed it at first. The next time I brought Renko along, but we had to leave a little early, so we didn't find out much."

"That's all, really." Renko shrugs.

"You still haven't told me what it is." It feels like they're hiding something. They look at each other and smile.

"We'll do better than that. We'll show you."

Pushing their chairs back, they motion for you to follow and walk around the corner. Taking a final drink of your coffee, you stand up and walk after them. The mural, it seems, extends all the way around the corner, and covers the back of the shop on all sides. The two girls lead you to a door, covered by the mural, visible only by its handle.

"It's just through here." Renko stops, gesturing to the handle. "Are you ready to see it?"

You nod.

"Then open the door, and behold!"

Reaching out, you grasp the handle firmly. You cast cautious glances to Mary and Renko on either side of you, and slowly begin to open it. What you see inside takes your breath away.

-----

Oooh, suspense! Second part coming when I finish it, after lunch.
>> No. 21314
File 126911165087.jpg- (418.96KB , 1197x958 , 126792476614.jpg ) [iqdb]
21314
Part 2.

-----

The floors are covered in a soft, red carpet, the kind that your feet sink in to. The walls are covered in ivory white and goldish patterns, painted, not just wallpaper. Well-cushioned benches and seats line one side, next to an ornamental plant. An array of mirrors sit on one wall, perched above marble sinks. Even the stalls are clean and colorful.

Truly, it is the most luxurious bathroom you have ever seen. You wonder why the men's bathroom is never this nice.

"Wow, he really opened it..."

"So, you like it?" Renko elbows you in the ribcage roughly.

"I'm leaving."

"Aah, wait wait wait! It was a joke, a joke!" she grabs your arm with both hands, digging in her heels in as she tries vainly to pull you back.

---

"I'm sorry about that, but please watch." Mary makes a half-bow, and takes grabs the same door handle as before. "What you just saw confirms it, actually. Nothing happened when you or Renko opened it, but when I open it"- She tugs on the door, and for a moment, the air seems to stretch out, the door frame bulging dangerously- "it leads here."

Gone is the restroom, the carpets and mirrors, gone are the polished marble sinks and faux-gold fixtures, replaced by the towering, creaking trees of a forest, and the thick, overgrown, bright grass that clings to the ground, shifted almost imperceptibly by a gentle breeze. It looks as though the mural had extended through the door itself, and had in doing so somehow come alive.

You barely register as Renko pulls on your arm, dragging you through the door, grass folding under your shoes and tangling itself around your legs and ankles. Mary steps through behind you, letting the door close gently. The edges quickly vanish, cuts in the scenery healing away, leaving the three of you alone in the clearing.

"Where... are we?"

-----

Sorry about the lack of choices lately!

Battle tutorial coming up soon, in part 3.
>> No. 21315
>The edges quickly vanish, cuts in the scenery healing away, leaving the three of you alone in the clearing.

I do hope they actually know how to get back, should the need arise...
Unless somehow the door handle is still there, floating in the middle of the air.
>> No. 21317
-----

"Who knows? That's the fun of it!" Renko spreads her arms wide. "We're alone in a strange land! It's like something out of a fairytale, isn't it?"

"You're too happy about this." You snap. Your sense of rationality is failing rapidly, so you've fallen back on instinct.

"Relax! It's not like we're stuck here or anything!"

"...Really?" Mary nods as you shoot her a questioning glance. She gently knocks on the air where the door was, making a reassuring but surprisingly wooden sound and making tiny ripples in the air.

"Getting out isn't really a problem."

Renko claps you hard on the shoulder.

"See? You shouldn't worry so much! We said we'd been here before, didn't we?"

"Ah... yeah, you did." You gradually shift from panic to bewilderment, and slump down against the base of a tree. Letting your eyes drift shut, you breath in the fresh air, taking in the sound, the feel of the place. After a moment, you stand up again and dust yourself off.

"That was a pretty fast recovery," She muses.

Ignoring her, you take the opportunity to scan your surroundings. There's clearly no roof overhead, and trees as far as you can see in all directions. It's really unbelievable that something like this exists in the middle of the city.

"So, what are we going to do now? I mean, there's nothing here but trees." You glance around again, to emphasize your point.

"Ah, but how will we know unless we explore?" Mary chimes in happily.

Well... she's right, actually. And really, it's not like you've got anything else to do today, right?

---

You lift another low branch, allowing the girls to pass under it before letting it snap back into place. You've been walking aimlessly for upward of twenty minutes. Despite repeated assurances that Renko knows the way back, you've been meticulously marking out a trail for yourself.

Jogging a little to catch up, you nearly run into Mary from behind. Both of them are standing stock-still, and Renko is trying to hold her breath.

"...What is it?" You whisper.

"Well... was more than one reason we had to leave early last time..."

You become acutely aware of a fluttering, buzzing sound, not entirely unlike insect's wings, but many times louder...

A sudden hail of colored lights bursts through the undergrowth. You drop to the side, several of the orbs grazing your skin, while Renko leaps back, dragging Mary to the ground with her.

"Catch!"

Instinctively your hand flies up, snatching the item out of the air. You immediately recognize it as a pocket knife, and, flipping open the blade, turn to face your attackers.

A group of four small, clearly female figures fly up, propelled by tiny wings. They giggle, raising their hands in unison to summon another cloud of the small lights.

:: Battle, start! ::

>Play tutorial?
[ ] y
[ ] n

Enemies:

Fairy A - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 10/10 MP: 10/10

Fairy B - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 10/10 MP: 10/10

Fairy C - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 10/10 MP: 10/10

Fairy D - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 10/10 MP: 10/10


Status:

You - Level 1 Ranger - HP: 30/30 MP: 10/10
|Atk: 8| Hit: 85%| Crit: 12%|
|Def: 2| Evd: 18%|Save: 11%|

[ ] Attack
[ ] Defend
[ ] Magic
> none
[ ] Technique
> Stealth (evd+, 2 turns)
[ ] Item
> none
[ ] Flee


Usami Renko - Level 1 Rogue - HP: 20/20 MP: 5/5
|Atk: 7| Hit: 88%| Crit: 13%|
|Def: 1| Evd: 18%|Save: 12%|

[ ] Attack
[ ] Defend
[ ] Magic
> none
[ ] Technique
> Stealth (evd+, 2 turns)
[ ] Item
> none


Maribel Han - Level 1 Magician - HP: 10/10 MP: 40/40
|Atk: 8| Hit: 85%| Crit: 12%|
|Def: 2| Evd: 18%|Save: 11%|

[ ] Attack
[ ] Defend
[ ] Magic
> Flare ([b]Atk: 8[b], target, Fire, 5 MP)
> Heal ([b]Res: 8[b], target, Heal, 5 MP)
[ ] Technique
> none
[ ] Item
> none

-----

Congratulations for anyone who read down this far! There shouldn't be any walls of stats like this in the future, but I'm still trying to work out exactly how this whole thing goes.
>> No. 21319
[X] y

[X] You - Attack
[X] Renko - Technique - Stealth
[X] Mary - Defend

Gives us a chance to see what everything does.
>> No. 21320
By the way, selecting "tutorial" means I'll explain everything in detail.

And in the spirit of expedience, first to three or majority whenever I feel like writing wins during combat. Since it will probably take a couple turns, and I don't want each fight to take three days.
>> No. 21321
[x] y

Us-[x]Attack Fairy A
Renko-[x]Technique-Stealth
Maribel [x] Magic-Flare Fairy A

Figured it'd be best to get one fairy out of the way.
>> No. 21326
[x] y
Going to need the user manual here. Does damage = atk - def, or is it on some percent system? Does using spells keep Mary out of melee / in the back row? What exactly does defend do? How is turn order determined? If a target dies will a character automatically switch to the next, or should we specify it? Etc.

Us [x] Attack: Fairy A
Renko [x] Attack: Fairy A
Maribel [x] Magic: Flare Fairy A
All [x] Switch to B if A dies before the character's turn. C if B dies.

Well they are "cannon fodder", might as well take out one or two with an aggressive first round. Maybe three if the dice/RNG get crit-happy.
>> No. 21341
Alright, I'll try to explain how it works here:

Damage = (number between 1 and Atk)-(number between 1 and Def)

Hit is the chance of an attack landing, while Evd(evade) is the chance of canceling an enemy's attack.

Crit(critical) is the chance of landing a critical hit, which nullifies defense, always does full damage, and staggers the opponent(reduces all stats a bit).

Save is the chance that when your HP if dropped to or below zero, you will survive with 1 HP.

Defend doubles all of your defensive stats, including Def, Evd(evade), and Save.

There are no "rows," though simple enemies generally target whoever is hitting them the most.

If target A is killed, anyone left to attack switches to target B.

I'm realizing now I probably should have just flat up posted this in the beginning.
>> No. 21344
So... To help this along, I'm just going to pick the most sensible seeming action from the list and run with it. In the future, Hopefully things will be a bit easier to understand and all.
>> No. 21345
Us [x]Attack Fairy A
Renko [x]Technique-Stealth
Maribel [x] Magic-Flare Fairy A

This vote seems to be the "average" of them. Using it.
>> No. 21355
Sorry about how long this took, running the calculations took a little long.

-----

You [x]Attack Fairy A
Renko [x]Technique-Stealth
Maribel [x] Magic-Flare Fairy A

With barely a thought, you lunge at the nearest of the creatures, swinging the knife. The blade connects with it's abdomen, leaving a large gash. Startled, it cries out in pain, tiny lights popping out of existence all around it.

You feel a tingle of heat on the back of your neck and retreat as a bright flame engulfs it, dissolving it's body into ashes. You continue, using your momentum to dodge behind the remaining three.

Your attacks sends the creatures into a panic, shooting clouds of luminous bullets in all directions. Renko sinks low into the grass, trying to avoid detection, deflecting a single wayward shot with her knife. Following her example, you strike away several bullets aimed at yourself.

Mary, unfortunately, is not so lucky, and drops back with a shout as several of them strike her arm.

"Mary! Are you alright!?"

"I'm okay." She winces, but manages to rise to her feet nonetheless.

----

To summarize:
* Fairy A was killed.
* Mary took 3 damage.
>> No. 21356
Testing a different format for the status and commands.

----

Status:

You - Level 1 Ranger - HP: 30/30 MP: 10/10
|Atk: 8| Hit: 85%| Crit: 12%|
|Def: 2|Evd: 18%|Save: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-, 1 turn recovery)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 1 Rogue - HP: 20/20 MP: 5/5
|Atk: 7| Hit: 88%| Crit: 13%|
|Def: 1|Evd: 28%|Save: 12%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, 2 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 1 Magician - HP: 7/10 MP: 35/40
|Atk: 2| Hit: 75%| Crit: 3%|
|Def: 0|Evd: 15%|Save: 12%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (Atk: 8, target, 5 MP), Heal (Res: 8, target, 5 MP)

Enemies:

Fairy B - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 10/10 MP: 10/10

Fairy C - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 10/10 MP: 10/10
Fairy D - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 10/10 MP: 10/10

Commands:

[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Spell [ ] Skill
[ ]item [ ] Flee

----

I'll go with the most sensible/popular vote whenever I write within combat, to try and make this not take so long every time.
>> No. 21357
You [x]Attack Fairy B
Renko [x]Attack Fairy B
Maribel [x] Magic-Flare Fairy C

Predicting the speed order, the lead and Renko will take out one and Mary damaging the other.
>> No. 21363
>>21356
You should add each character's current status (i.e. Renko is still under the effects of stealth)

>>21357
>Predicting the speed order
He already said characters will automatically switch if their target dies, but since we seem to have a learned a new trick, this brings up a good point:

Could we vote for something like
[x] Attack - Fairy (lowest hp / most damaged)
so we don't have to guess at how to distribute attacks all the time? In this case, for example, combo has a low hit chance. So assuming our MC goes first, we don't what will or won't be wounded once Mary and Renko get to attack. Let's assume we voted:
>You: [x] Combo
>Renko: [x] Attack - B
>Mary: [x] Flare - B
Ideally, we hit all three, Renko kills B, Mary goes on to fry C. On the other hand, if we miss B and hit C and D. Mary and Renko go on to double-team B when they could have taken out both C and D instead.

Of course, if it sounds like I'm over-complicating things, feel free to tell me to just shut up and keep it simple. In which case, consider my votes to be for Fairy B.

You: [x] Combo
Renko: [x] Attack - Fairy (lowest hp)
Maribel: [x] Flare - Fairy (lowest hp)
>> No. 21364
Hm, we got a new skill.

You - [X] Skill - Combo
Renko - [X] Attack - Fairy B
Mary - [X] Spell - Flare - Fairy C
>> No. 21365
>>21363
I said that in terms of getting rid of a fairy before the fairies attack. Mary can take 2 more attacks but not 3.
>> No. 21366
>>21365
But that assuming all of the fairies gang up on Mary.
>> No. 21369
You - [X] Skill - Combo
Renko - [X] Skill - Stealth
Mary - [X] Spell - Flare - Fairy C

If we use Combo on Fairy B, and Mary flares Fairy C, wouldn't it be a bit wiser to sneak up on fairy D from behind instead for her last turn under stealth so we can possibly wipe them all out in two turns?
>> No. 21370
>>21369

Just adding on, what I meant was that Renko was still using Stealth, not to reuse the skill.
>> No. 21371
>>21370
Stealth is a buff skill, not a special attack skill.
>> No. 21373
>>21366
RPG enemy logic generally favors wailing on the softest target if it gets close enough. And Mary is by far the softest target.
>> No. 21376
You - [X] Skill - Combo
Renko - [X] Attack - Fairy B
Mary - [X] Spell - Flare - Fairy C

Seems to be the "average." Vote called, calculating now.
>> No. 21377
I think I'm getting the hang of this, myself.

-----

You - [X] Skill - Combo
Renko - [X] Attack - Fairy B
Mary - [X] Spell - Flare - Fairy C

Taking the knife in both hands, you focus and lunge again, thrusting at the second opponent. Unfortunately you misjudged the angle and narrowly miss it's wings, rushing past it, but just as it prepares to attack, Renko appears, her own blade striking it from behind.

Not letting your initial failure get in the way, you quickly turn again, bringing your knife up, directly into the chest of the middle monster. As you withdraw your weapon, you quickly reverse it, sending a sweeping strike sweeping back at the last foe.

It sees you at the last minute, zipping out of the way and unleashing it's own barrage. You leap, much higher than you had intended, using the spin from your attack to land several feet away, unhurt.

Meanwhile, with a sharp "ha!" from Mary, another splash of orange fire consumes the fairy you had wounded, reducing it to a fine, glittery ash.

Recovering from the shock of pain, the last fairy shoots throws a half-hearted shots at Mary, striking her side. She flinches, a small tear appearing in her dress, but remains standing.

"Two more left!"

-----

To summarize:

* Fairy B takes 4 damage.
* Fairy C takes 12 damage and dies.
* Maribel takes 2 damage.
* Renko's stealth ends.
>> No. 21378
Aaaand status update.

-----

Party:

You - Level 1 Ranger - HP: 30/30 MP: 10/10
|Atk: 8| Hit: 85%| Crit: 12%|
|Def: 2|Evd: 18%|Save: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (Evd+, Crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-, 1 turn recovery)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 1 Rogue - HP: 20/20 MP: 5/5
|Atk: 7| Hit: 88%| Crit: 13%|
|Def: 1|Evd: 18%|Save: 12%|
Skill: Stealth (Evd+, Crit+, 2 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 1 Magician - HP: 5/10 MP: 30/40
|Atk: 2| Hit: 75%| Crit: 3%|
|Def: 1|Evd: 15%|Save: 12%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (Atk: 8, target, 5 MP), Heal(Res: 8, target, 5 MP)

Enemies:

Fairy B - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 4/10 MP: 10/10
Fairy D - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 10/10 MP: 10/10

Commands:

[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Spell [ ] Skill
[ ]item [ ] Flee

-----

I've been gradually adjusting the system between rounds, so don't be surprised if things look a bit different.
>> No. 21380
Just noticed some heavy typos on the last line. It should be:
>Recovering from the pain, the last fairy fires a half-hearted shot at Mary, striking her in the side. She flinches, a small tear appearing in her dress, but manages to remain standing.
>> No. 21381
You - [X] Attack - Fairy B
Renko - [X] Attack - Fairy D
Mary - [X] Spell - Heal - Mary
>> No. 21382
You - [X] Attack - Fairy B
Renko - [X] Attack - Fairy D
Mary - [X] Spell - Heal - Mary

Sounds good to me. Hopefully Mary will learn some evading tactics after this. It's not good if the magician ends up being target practice.

Obligatory RPG battle theme where?
>> No. 21383
You - [X] Attack - Fairy D
Renko - [X] Attack - Fairy B
Maribel - [X] Spell - Flare - Fairy D

The fairies only do one point of damage each, so Mary won't fall this turn. And I think we can take down the fairies before they can attack.

Can the Heal spell can be used out of combat? Also, is there any natural out-of-combat MP recovery, or is it just resting at an inn and ethers? Because if it's the latter, right now Mary can only do eight things and then she's useless.
>> No. 21384
>>21383

MP potions, as well as HP potions, will become rather common after this.

>>21382

I don't have a theme picked out. Any suggestions?
>> No. 21386
You - [X] Attack - Fairy D
Renko - [X] Attack - Fairy B
Maribel - [X] Spell - Flare - Fairy D

seeing how there's only two left, we can quickly win this battle without needing to heal.
>> No. 21387
May I suggest the various battle themes for the Final Fantasy games, including the boss, bonus boss, and final themes?
>> No. 21388
>>21387

Darn, thought it was another vote so I could write. Oh well, I'll check those out.
>> No. 21389
You - [X] Attack - Fairy B
Renko - [X] Attack - Fairy D
Mary - [X] Spell - Heal - Mary

>battle music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jmty_NiaXc
>> No. 21390
You - [X] Attack - Fairy B
Renko - [X] Attack - Fairy D
Mary - [X] Spell - Heal - Mary

Vote called. Calculating now.
>> No. 21391
How about this for a battle theme? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBo7hwHfVJw

-----

You - [X] Attack - Fairy B
Renko - [X] Attack - Fairy D
Mary - [X] Spell - Heal - Mary

You hear footsteps behind you, and as you turn, Renko's boot plants firmly on your shoulder, kicking off with incredibly speed. Not losing a second, you turn your attention to the wounded enemy and slicing it neatly in two with one strike from your blade.

The airborne fairy doesn't have time to react before her knife is in it's chest, bearing it back to the ground. It pulls free at the last moment, twisting away wildly as Renko lands on her feet. Frenzied, it throws bullets randomly, flying in every direction but it's intended target, leaving the three of you unharmed.

Steadying her breathing, Mary allows a calm, bluish light to flow from her hands along her body, erasing her wounds and even the tears in her clothes.

You smirk.

"Just one left, huh?"

-----
>> No. 21393
Forgot the battle summary:

* Fairy B dies.
* Fairy D takes 5 damage.
* Maribel recovers 5 health.
* You can use "Combo" again.

-----

Party:

You - Level 1 Ranger - HP: 30/30 MP: 10/10
|Atk: 8| Hit: 85%| Crit: 12%|
|Def: 2|Evd: 18%|Save: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (Evd+, Crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-, 1 turn recovery)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 1 Rogue - HP: 20/20 MP: 5/5
|Atk: 7| Hit: 88%| Crit: 13%|
|Def: 1|Evd: 18%|Save: 12%|
Skill: Stealth (Evd+, Crit+, 2 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 1 Magician - HP: 10/10 MP: 25/40
|Atk: 2| Hit: 75%| Crit: 3%|
|Def: 1|Evd: 15%|Save: 12%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (Atk: 8, target, 5 MP), Heal(Res: 8, target, 5 MP)

Enemies:

Fairy D - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 5/10 MP: 10/10

Commands:
[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Spell [ ] Skill
[ ]item [ ] Flee
>> No. 21394
[X] Attack
[X]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9e_w_CYrrk

It's not as though it really matters who, at this point; why don't you just go ahead and write the next update?
>> No. 21395
You - [X] Attack - Fairy D
Renko - [X] Attack - Fairy D
Mary - [X] Defend

If we just finished off the last fairy, the battle would be over. I can't be the only person who's played an old school jRPG here.
>> No. 21396
Okay, going to go ahead and kill the bugger. Writing now.
>> No. 21397
How about one of these for a battle theme?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyxDEK9sjKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rS0HZBQ5tE

These 3 aren't from RPGs but I thought they sounded decent enough to fit as one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkcN4N-UbKU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfrVG80tSj8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwewEotEVAY
>> No. 21398
First battle complete!

-----

[Q] Finish it off.

Renko's expression mirrors your own, and with a nod of confirmation, you sprint toward the fairy, flanking it. When you get within range you spring foreword, using your newfound acrobatic abilities, and cleanly cut away one of its arms.

Before it can retaliate at such a close range, Renko dashes in behind it, her knife outstretched like a lance, running the creature through. With an audible 'pop' it vanishes from existence in the same cloud of light as before.

---

Battle clear! +40 power, +68 points

Found five Potions!
Found five Mana!

New creature index: "Fairy"

---

You step aside as Renko's rush continues, much to her own surprise, bearing her ahead until she trips over a stone, landing flat on the ground.

Suppressing a chuckle, you reach down to help her up.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah..." She pushes herself up, taking your hand reluctantly.

"How about you, Mary?"

"I'm fine now," she says, "but thank you for asking."

You glance around the clearing, which is now empty except for the three of you.

"Well, I guess we should...

[ ] ...Head back for now."
[ ] ...Keep exploring for a while."

-----

A regular story choice. No hidden meanings in these.

Out of curiosity, how was the battle?

Tedious? Confusing? Long? Dare I hope... fun?
How about the format?

I'm still learning, so please give me any suggestions you can think of.
>> No. 21399
[x] ...Keep exploring for a while."
[x] Check out Creature index entry on fairy.

Some more exploration wouldn't hurt before going home.
>> No. 21400
[X] ...Keep exploring for a while."

Down the rabbit hole~

Well it was a bit confusing at first, but in the end it did turn out to be pretty entertaining. Though doing turn-based RPG material like this will fill a thread up pretty quick, especially when it comes to boss battles and all.
>> No. 21401
[x] ...Keep exploring for a while."
[x] Check out Creature index entry on fairy.

I'm thinking battles should be a quick affair. Anyone disagree?
>> No. 21403
[X] ...Keep exploring for a while."
[X] Check out Creature index entry on fairy.

I'm not so sure about this turn-based business. You might be better off having a single vote for battle strategy at the beginning of a fight, then switching back to turn-based when something important happens.

Also, the status updates might work well if you put them immediately after their actions that cause them, similar to how Fallout Writefag does it.
>> No. 21404
>>21403
>>21401

What if I somehow made each command count for several "turns"? It could easily tie into the Spellcards ideas I had.
>> No. 21405
>>21404

To clarify, I mean that whenever you select an action, I'll play out several turns using the action or an appropriate substitute.

Though having Maribel cast "flare" for instance would still only cost 5 MP, she would shoot it a couple times, more like a short spellcard or bomb.

Meanwhile, plain old "attack" would just result in attacking enemies for a while.

And of course you can put in a way to pick targets, like, "who is attacking [so and so]" or "who has the lowest health" in addition to an enemy or small group of enemies.

Still not sure exactly, but I think it might be able to shorten combat and lengthen the updates within it.
>> No. 21406
I had no problems with it personally, just as long as it doesn't take a while between updates.

But an auto-battle option would be nice
>> No. 21407
>>21405

That could work. I don't like the idea of waiting a day to progress through a battle. Whatever steps are taken to make sure this doesn't occur don't really matter to me personally. I think your idea could work and do well. An auto-battle might work, but would be tricky to implement.
>> No. 21408
File 126930212534.jpg- (68.93KB , 576x600 , PMiSS_lily.jpg ) [iqdb]
21408
Stats:
Fairy - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 10/10 MP: 10/10
|Atk: 3| Hit: 83%| Crit: 2%|
|Def: 0|Evd: 13%|Save: 0%|
Skill: None
Spell: None

Fairies are by far the most common encounters within Gensokyo. Small creatures formed from the residual faith and fear inherent to any environment. Due to their mixed composition, their personalities range from benevolent to malicious, though all are natural tricksters.

While they posses no regenerative abilities to speak of, they have been gifted with and incredibly short reincarnation cycle, taking only a few hours to reform after death, though this time can be extended with seals and exorcisms.

Their precarious nature makes them reckless and unlikely to flee, so when fighting them be prepared to exterminate them completely.

>> No. 21409
[x] ...Keep exploring for a while."
[x] Check out Creature index entry on fairy.

I think this encounter went just fine, and now that we're all a bit more familiar with the system, future fights should go quicker.

Some thoughts:
-Some more descriptions would be nice, but it's not really necessary for random encounters and would probably just slow things down. So I'd say save any embellishment for boss fights and critical (both low and high) rolls.

-Combo seems like it would be abusively strong should we ever get the opportunity to add some kind of extra effect to our weapon. I do hope the option for poisons or enchantments comes up.

-I don't know how you're handling damage rolls and such, nor how familiar with probability theory you are, so I'll just give some generic advice: Remember that, despite having equal ranges, the likelihood of any given outcome for a 2d4 and a 1d7+1 are extremely different, and can be used to manipulate how consistent or random you want an event or ability to be.
>> No. 21410
>>21409

Thanks for the tip on embellishment, I'll keep it in mind. I'm also trying to think how combo should be balanced myself.

I'm also acutely aware of how different things affect 'random' outcomes, as it's something I spend a great deal of time studying and experimenting with. For this instance I tried to keep it simple, using a single die, though I might make some adjustments later.
>> No. 21411
I definitely won't be able to keep up the crazy update speed from yesterday, in part due to work and in part because I've got what might be a cold. I'll see if I can whip something up this afternoon, nonetheless.
>> No. 21439
File 126956531940.jpg- (115.91KB , 463x463 , PMiSS_mistylake.jpg ) [iqdb]
21439
Slow, maybe a bit short, but here nonetheless.

-----

[x] Keep exploring for a while."

"What were those things?"

You fold the knife shut and slip it into your pocket.

"Fairies. We ran into them last time, but we couldn't fight too well. We both got hurt pretty badly, so we had to run away." Renko dusts herself off, tucking her own knife back into her skirt pocket.

"But now that we've got your help, they shouldn't be too much trouble anymore." Mary smiles, folding her hands behind her back.

"In that case, how about we do some more exploring?" You look at the two of them and smile. "There should be plenty more to see here, right?"

"Haha! That's the spirit!" Patting you on the back rather heavily, Renko laughs, before running off into the trees.

"Hey! Renko, wait up!" This girl... "Come on, before she gets too far." You grab Mary's hand and start running, following the haphazard trail of trampled grass and snapped branches.

---

"Dammit! She shouldn't just run off like that all of a sudden." Irately, you swat away another low hanging branch.

Mary tugs your sleeve, casting glances over her shoulder.

"Hey, it's getting colder, isn't it?"

"Huh? Ah, now that you mention it, it is." It strikes you that for at least the past five minutes you've been able to see your breath in front of you. "Did you run into this last time?"

She shakes her head, breathing into her hands.

Well, that could be good or bad. Probably bad, you decide. As you step through another bush, you emerge on the shore of a lake. A thick, icy fog hangs over the surface, hiding the other shore and chilling you to the bone. You're sure Renko came this way, but you don't see any sign of her...

[ ] Left
[ ] Right
[ ] Call out

-----

Sorry about how long this took, had work and, as it turns out, really did come down with a cold. Not bad enough to impair my writing, but it did slow things down.
>> No. 21440
[x] Call out

It's foggy so sound is the best method.
>> No. 21441
[x] Call out
>> No. 21442
[X] Call out

Introductory boss fight incoming at high speed! Sensors indicate it to be a Cirno class Ice Fairy. NO REFUGE!
>> No. 21443
[X] Call out

>>21442
Speaking of battle themes, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVMRNxT2XaE .
>> No. 21444
[X] Call out

Bring it, Cirno!
>> No. 21446
Votes called easily for '[Q] call out'

Though I must admit I am surprised that most of you think I would throw (and wanted me to throw!) a boss at you while you are still level 1 and down one party member.

Oh well!
>> No. 21447
-----

[x] Call out

"Renko!" You cup your hand around your mouth and shout.

Nothing. Only the sound of your voice, echoing off the surface of the lake.

"Ren! Where are you?" Mary tries.

Just as you think there's no response, a muffled, distant response comes from the right.

"Mary?"

Mary's expression brightens, and she begins to run toward the voice.

Behind you, you hear something of a sharp, almost crystalline tinkling. It sounds almost like... laughter?

You grab Mary's arm, grasping for your knife. "Look out!"

b]:: Battle, start! ::[/b]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBo7hwHfVJw

Party:

You - Level 1 Ranger - HP: 30/30 MP: 10/10
|Atk: 8| Hit: 85%| Crit: 12%|
|Def: 2|Evd: 18%|Save: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 1 Magician - HP: 10/10 MP: 25/40
|Atk: 2| Hit: 75%| Crit: 3%|
|Def: 1|Evd: 15%|Save: 12%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (Atk: 8, target, 5 MP), Heal(Res: 8, target, 5 MP)

Enemies:

Ice Fairy A - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 10/10 MP: 15/15

Ice Fairy B - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 10/10 MP: 15/15

Ice Fairy C - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 10/10 MP: 15/15

Items:

Potion(HP+15)x5, Mana(MP+30)x5

Commands:
[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Spell [ ] Skill
[ ] Item [ ] Flee

-----

Another mook battle, against some slightly different enemies. I'll be using the sped-up battle system, so it should be shorter this time.
>> No. 21448
-----

Quick battle:

Any command issued will be followed for several turns. Abilities like Stealth require a secondary actions to be given, in other words something to do once hidden. Spells still only have their base cost. If something significant changes, for example a character reaching critically low health, running our of MP, or similar events, you will have the option to adjust your strategy.

Items:

Any character can use an item on their turn. Items cannot be used on another character unless explicitly indicated. Items are guaranteed to work at full effectiveness, and present no immediate cost to the user but the loss of the item itself.

Fleeing:

Your ability to flee is based upon the the sum of your party's levels and the sum of the enemies' levels. Fleeing is a party actions, meaning when you attempt to flee you can't do anything else. Certain battles do not allow you to flee.

-----
>> No. 21449
[X] You - Attack - Ice Fairy A
[X] Mary - Spell - Flare - Ice Fairy B

Maribel's Flare is a fire spell, I'm guessing it does extra damage to ice creatures.
>> No. 21451
[x] You - Combo, Attack - Ice Fairy A
[x] Mary - Spell: Flare - Ice Fairy B
>> No. 21452
[x] You - Combo, Attack - Ice Fairy A
[x] Mary - Spell: Flare - Ice Fairy B
>> No. 21453
[x] You - Combo, Attack - Ice Fairy A or which ever fairies got hit
[x] Mary - Spell: Flare - Ice Fairy B

How does element weaknesses/resistances work in this?
>> No. 21454
>>21453

However I feel like it working. Attacking an enemy with it's weak element will pretty much always count as a critical hit, meaning it ignores defense and does full damage.

In other news, vote called for:

[x] You - Combo, Attack - Ice Fairy A
[x] Mary - Spell: Flare - Ice Fairy B

Writing soon.
>> No. 21456
Sorry about the delay, found an LP! of Eversion and spent last night watching it.

-----

[x] You - Combo, Attack - Ice Fairy A
[x] Mary - Spell: Flare - Ice Fairy B

Mary turns with remarkable speed, a flash of heat and orange light shooting from her hand. The fairies- bluish ones with crystal-like wings- emit eerie, windy shrieks and scatter, allowing the flame to dissipate harmlessly into the cold mist.

Before they can regain their composure you've draw your knife, running into the midst of them. You swing, dealing a single slash to each creature. The first escapes mostly unharmed, but you thrust at it again, striking it directly on the chest.

The fairies begin their own assault, tiny shards of ice forming in the air between their hands. You and Mary deftly evade the onslaught, until the third fairy, which had escaped your notice, fires a single shot directly into your arm. You curse as the burning cold spreads out, but find nothing to remove when you grasp at it.

Maribel, meanwhile, fires another burst of fire, reducing the middle fairy to a tiny cloud of steam. The last two, in anger, fire another barrage, which you cut down with ease. Mary is not so lucky, receiving several small cuts to her leg.

-----

* You took 2 damage
* Mary took 2 damage
* Ice Fairy A took 8 damage
* Ice Fairy B died
* Ice Fairy C took 7 damage

-----

Party:

You - Level 1 Ranger - HP: 28/30 MP: 10/10
|A: 8|H: 85%|C: 12%|
|D: 2|E: 18%|S: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 1 Magician - HP: 8/10 MP: 20/40
|A: 2|H: 75%|C: 3%|
|D: 1|E: 15%|S: 12%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (Atk: 8, target, 5 MP), Heal(Res: 8, target, 5 MP)

Enemies:

Ice Fairy A - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 2/10 MP: 15/15
Ice Fairy C - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 3/10 MP: 15/15

Items:

Potion (HP+15) x5, Mana [i](MP+30)[i] x5

Commands:
[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Spell [ ] Skill
[ ] Item [ ] Flee

-----

Choose how you want to finish them off.
>> No. 21458
[x] You - Combo, Attack (highest health)
[x] Mary - Attack (lowest health)
>> No. 21459
[x] You - Combo, Attack (highest health)
[x] Mary - Attack (lowest health)
>> No. 21461
[X] You - Attack (highest health)
[X] Mary - Attack (lowest health)
>> No. 21462
[x] You - Combo, Attack (highest health)
[x] Mary - Attack (lowest health)

Vote called, writing now.
>> No. 21464
-----

[x] You - Combo, Attack (highest health)
[x] Mary - Attack (lowest health)

You dive in again, using two quick strokes from your knife to eliminate the creatures. One vanishes in a shower of tiny ice crystals, while the other manages to duck at the last minute, rendering the cut too shallow.

Instead of another round of the ice crystals like you were expecting, the fairy points simply points its open palms at you. A deep, biting chill begins to form around you, prickling at your skin, before Mary steps in and bashes swings at it with her wand.

It dodges, but the attack was enough to shift its attention to Mary. As the icy mist intensifies around her, she takes another swing, landing it squarely between the little monster's eyes. You take this opportunity to run it through with your knife, destroying it.

---

Battle clear! +45 power, +20 points (total: 88 points)

Found one "Chill Shot (A 3, H 80%, C 2%)(Maribel)!

New creature index: "Ice Fairy"

---

You keep your weapon drawn, peering through the fog and straining your ears. Mary, meanwhile, tucks her wand back into her sleeve and cups her hand to her mouth.

Before you can try to shush her, a hand lands on your shoulder, and you nearly jump out of your skin.

"I'm right here!"

Renko stands up out of the brush, brushing the dew off her skirt.

"You could have got here sooner, you know."

"Hahaha~ But you were doing fine by yourself." She grins not-so-sheepishly, rubbing the back of her head.

You sigh. "Anyway, don't run off again. We don't know what else is out here."

Mary, who had been quiet throughout the exchange, finally speaks up.

"Renko, we need to stick together."

"Alright, alright," she sighs resignedly. "Ah!" she suddenly snaps her fingers. "That's right!" Grasping both your hand and Mary's, she begins to run back the way she came from. "I found something really neat!"

---

* Level up! *

You - Level 2 Ranger - HP: 60/60 MP: 20/20
|A: 11|H: 85%|C: 12%|
|D: 3|E: 18%|S: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 2 Rogue - HP: 40/40 MP: 10/10
|A: 9|H: 88%|C: 13%|
|D: 1|E: 18%|S: 12%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 2 Magician - HP: 20/20 MP: 80/80
|A: 3|H: 75%|C: 3%|
|D: 1|E: 15%|S: 12%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (Atk: 8, target, 5 MP), Heal(Res: 8, target, 5 MP), Barrier (Def+ 8, 4 turns, target, 5 MP)

-----

No choice on this one, I need to catch up on my plot. I'll try to explain how equipment and such work in the meantime, though.
>> No. 21467
[X] Check "Ice Fairy"
[X] Check "Chill Shot (A 3, H 80%, C 2%)(Maribel)!
>> No. 21468
Stats:
Ice Fairy - Level 1 Cannon Fodder - HP: 10/10 MP: 15/15
|A: 4|H: 83%|C: 2%|
|D: 0|E: 13%|S: 0%|
Skill: None
Spell: Freeze(5 dmg, target, 5MP)

Ice fairies are a specific variant of fairy found during the winter or in areas of extreme cold. Their very presence makes the area around them colder, though, so in large groups the can make almost any area their home.

They have the same meager intellect as normal fairies, and are capable of magic only by elemental affinity. They are extremely weak to fire, and even the strongest of them fears it.

>> No. 21469
Chill Shot (A 3, H 80%, C 2%)

An ice element danmaku-type weapon commonly used by ice fairies. It manifests as numerous small ice crystals that the user can fire at will.

This weapon can be wielded by Maribel Han
>> No. 21470
>>21468
>Spell: Freeze(5 dmg, target, 5MP)

Huh, I guess it's a good thing none of them decided to use that, two shots to Mary and she'd have been out.
>> No. 21471
>>21470

Oh, they did use it. Twice. Remember that "dmg" stat is the maximum, and that's before a similar application of defense/def.
>> No. 21483
>>21471
Ohh, I though they were just using a basic danmaku attack that was ice because of what kind of fairies they were, or something like that.
>> No. 21488
>>21468
>the strongest >fears

I cannot believe that. Cirno doesn't know how to be afraid.

>>21471
I guess defense works for both magic and physical attacks?
>> No. 21490
[X] Equip: Chill Shot: Maribel
>> No. 21503
>>21488

Defense works for all damage from an enemy. Same with evasion.

>>21490

Okey Dokey.

Fancy Rod(A: 1, H: 75%, C: 3%) Unequipped.
Chill Shot(A: 3, H: 80%, C: 2%) Equipped.


Maribel Han - Level 2 Magician - HP: 20/20 MP: 80/80
|A: 5|H: 80%|C: 2%|
|D: 1|E: 15%|S: 12%|

I'll try to have an update in a little bit, sorry about the delays.
>> No. 21511
File 126980492326.jpg- (195.54KB , 512x384 , c7cc5da670c23aaae44c5c4b0c72a159.jpg ) [iqdb]
21511
>>21483
The icicles were their danmaku (chill shot), while the cold mist that the last one started using was "freeze".

-----

-----

After being dragged along by a tireless Renko for almost five minutes, you finally break through another frosty hedge and emerge into a clearing.

"Clearing" must be used as a loose term here, because the space which faced you now was anything but clear, tires, fenders, radios, beach balls, even a misplaced church bell lay in a cluttered pile around a small, rundown looking shack. A warped sign, its painted letters flaking off with age, sits perched atop the door frame with the aid of several dubious looking ropes. You mouth the words on the sign.

"...Kourindou?"

"It's a store!" Releasing your hands, Renko runs up to the door and turns back to face you. "Do you realize what this means? We're in another world, and we found a store! Buying things from another world!"

"...I don't get why you're so excited about this. It's just a junky-looking store."

Renko makes a string of unintelligible noises and turns to Mary.

"I think it looks like a quaint little shop." She folds her hands over her chest while saying this, giving it a surprisingly 'noblesse' air.

In apparent defeat, Renko slumps forward. "Anyway, let's go inside!" She reaches behind her, grabbing the door knob and giving it a twist. Reluctantly, you follow her inside.

-----


The inside is just as bad as the outside, if not worse. It looks almost like someone simply put up a cash register in their house instead of a trash can.

Piles of mysterious and otherwise unidentifiable junk sweep down like snowdrifts, threatening to invade the narrow footpath.

Renko paces around excitedly.

"Hello? Anyone in there? We're customers!" She shouts into the back of the store, patience finally snapping.

At the last word, as loud thump comes up, followed by a serious of softer thumps and a distinctive crash of ceramic. Moments later, a white haired yet young-looking man in a rather eccentric kimono emerges, hastily putting on a pair of small spectacles.

"I sincerely apologize, I wasn't expecting any business today... What can I help you with?"

:: Shopping time ::

88 points.

Worn Items:

You: Uniform (D: 1, E: 15%, S: 9%)(5p), Pocket Knife (A: 5, H: 80%, C: 10%)(5p)
Renko: Uniform (D: 1, E: 15%, S: 9%)(5p), Pocket Knife (A: 5, H: 80%, C: 10%)(5p)
Mary: Plain Dress(D: 1, E: 15%, S: 12%)(5p), Chill Shot (A: 3, H: 80%, C: 2%)(8p)

Bag:

Fancy Rod (A: 1, E: 75%, C: 3%)(5p) (Mary)
Potion (HP +15)(2p) x5
Mana (MP +30)(2p) x5

Store items:

Wood Sword (A: 7, H: 78%, C: 5%)(10p) (You)
Small Bomb (15 dmg, target)(3p) x5
Leather Shirt (D: 3, E: 15%, S: 10%)(5p) x 2
Girl's Parka (D:2, E: 17%, S: 12%)(6p) (Mary, Renko)

Commands:

[ ] Buy (...)
[ ] Sell (...)
[ ] Nothing

-----

So yeah! It's a shop. You can finally see all of your items and equipment and stuff.

Points(p) are used as currency. Don't ask what they are, because I don't really know.

(You can see the inventory anytime by asking, with [x] inventory)
>> No. 21512
I take it that the shop has a limited inventory?

[X] Buy
-[X] Wood Sword
-[X] Leather Shirt x 2
-[X] Girl's Parka
[X] Equip items
-[X] You - Wood Sword and Leather Shirt
-[X] Renko - Girl's Parka
-[X] Mary - Leather Shirt
[X] Sell
-[X] Fancy Rod

Can Rangers dual wield mêlée weapons, or is one mêlée and one ranged? Also, I'm assuming we need to hang onto the uniforms for school.
>> No. 21513
>>21512

You can sell the uniforms if you want, no penalty.

You can only equip on weapon at a time, sorry. Ranger lets you use bow or swords, but probably not both at the same time.
>> No. 21514
>>21513
OK then, adding the following to >>21512
[X] Sell
-[X] Uniform x 2
-[X] Plain Dress
-[X] Pocket knife

Having more currency on hand is always useful. And reduces the need for grinding.
>> No. 21515
[X] Buy
-[X] Wood Sword
-[X] Leather Shirt x 2
-[X] Girl's Parka
-[x] Small bombs x5
[X] Equip items
-[X] You - Wood Sword and Leather Shirt
-[X] Renko - Girl's Parka
-[X] Mary - Leather Shirt
[X] Sell
-[X] Fancy Rod
-[X] Uniform x 2
-[X] Plain Dress
-[X] Pocket knife

88
-41
+30
=77

I think we can afford the small bombs.
>> No. 21516
[X] Buy
-[X] Wood Sword
-[X] Leather Shirt x 2
-[X] Girl's Parka
-[x] Small bombs x5
[X] Equip items
-[X] You - Wood Sword and Leather Shirt
-[X] Renko - Girl's Parka
-[X] Mary - Leather Shirt
[X] Sell
-[X] Fancy Rod
-[X] Uniform x 2
-[X] Plain Dress
-[X] Pocket knife

Sounds good to me.
>> No. 21517
>Small Bomb (15 dmg, target)
Is that 15 Attack, or do items deal damage differently? Also, is there a damage bonus if the enemy swallows the small bombs?

[X] Sell
- [X] Fancy Rod
- [X] Uniform x2
- [X] Plain Dress
- [X] Pocket Knife
[X] Buy
- [X] Wood Sword
- [X] Leather Shirt x2
- [X] Girl's Parka
- [X] Small Bombs x5
[X] Equip
- [X] You - Wood Sword, Leather Shirt
- [X] Renko - Girl's Parka
- [X] Mary - Leather Shirt

Are items shared throughout the group, or do we need to decide who's carrying what, too?
>> No. 21518
Voting called, making transaction.

>>21517

Yes that's 15 attack, sorry. Items are shared among everyone, too.
>> No. 21519
>>21512 here, I didn't take the small bombs because of they aren't going to do much more damage than regular attacks. Also, I hate getting attack items in RPGs because I keep forgetting to use them until I can do better damage without them. That's a waste of GP.
>> No. 21521
>>21519
Our attacks only do about 8-10 damage max at this point and that's not even factoring in possible defense. It could be useful for bosses; in many RPGs items are often used early on until your characters can learn those spells.
>> No. 21522
>>21519

The thought was that someone like Mary could use them instead of a spell sometimes.

-----

-----

[X] Buy
-[X] Wood Sword
-[X] Leather Shirt x 2
-[X] Girl's Parka
-[x] Small bombs x5
[X] Equip items
-[X] You - Wood Sword and Leather Shirt
-[X] Renko - Girl's Parka
-[X] Mary - Leather Shirt
[X] Sell
-[X] Fancy Rod
-[X] Uniform x 2
-[X] Plain Dress
-[X] Pocket knife

You glance around the piles of goods. Renko has dug out a pair of indian-looking leather shirts, while Mary is trying on an out of season winter coat. Speaking of coats, you notice now how much warmer it is in here compared to outside, despite the lack of apparent stove or fireplace. Is there some kind of heater in here?

Reluctantly, you browse the items near the surface, happening across several of interest: A solid-feeling wooden sword, and a handful of what appear to be cherry bombs, and are at the very least explosive.

The shop owner watches the three of you tentatively. He clears his throat to catch your attention.

"I presume, of course, that you have enough money?" The girls have ceased their chatter, and glance at each other, then to you. "I am willing, of course, to accept an exchange of goods, as well. I do specialize in other worldly items."

You give the two a reassuring nod, and turn to the man again.

"I'm sure we can come to some kind of arrangement."

---

Transaction complete: 72 points remaining.

---

You count out the change, and put it back into your pocket.

"Now, if you've got somewhere we can change, we'll leave you our old clothes and be on our way."

"Yes, yes, I'd be happy to. You can use the room in the back if you'd like. You are, after all, customers." He says the last world with no small deal of relish.

---

You - Level 2 Ranger - HP: 60/60 MP: 20/20
|A: 13|H: 83%|C: 7%|
|D: 5|E: 18%|S: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 2 Rogue - HP: 40/40 MP: 10/10
|A: 9|H: 88%|C: 13%|
|D: 3|E: 18%|S: 12%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 2 Magician - HP: 20/20 MP: 80/80
|A: 5|H: 80%|C: 2%|
|D: 2|E: 17%|S: 12%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (Atk: 8, target, 5 MP), Heal (Res: 8, target, 5 MP), Barrier (Def+ 8, 2 turns, target, 4 MP)

Bag:
Potion (HP +15) x5, Mana (MP +30) x5, Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x5

---

You exit the store, return the owner's waves as you venture back in to the ice-crusted underbrush. Mary pulls her cellphone out of her pocket and flips it open.

"Ah... it's getting pretty late."

You peer over her shoulder at the screen, ignoring Renko's tip-toed attempts to do the same.

6:35

"Wow, it is..." A glance at the sky confirms it, with the sun hovering precariously close to the horizon. "We should head back, I think. It's a long walk."

"Ugh, don't remind me..." Renko wavers exaggeratedly, pressing the back of her hand against her forehead.

"You're the one that wasted all that energy running off."

"Well, I'm sorry for being proactive!"

"Recklessly charging into unknown, dangerous, territory isn't proactive, it's just reckless."

"You're repeating yourself!"

"It was reckless enough it needed to be said twice."

---

And like that, before you had realized it, the frost faded, and the overgrown trees you first saw in this strange world returned.

"We're here." Mary reaches up gingerly, placing her hands on the invisible door, and pushes. Again, the air seems to crackle and distort around the edges, before finally tearing through like a damp paper. A cold, air-conditioned breeze begins to flow through opening, carrying with it all the smells of the city's heart.

You look around the woods again, at the trees, the long, undisturbed grass, the strange, small flowers poking their heads through the dirt.

"C'mon!" Once again, Renko tugs at your arm, pulling you across the boundary, back into the coffee shop. You hear Mary let the door close behind you.

"Here, put your stuff in one of these." You snap out of your trance when she hands you a shopping bag. "We'll look pretty out of place as we are, right? If we put our stuff in these bags, we can just say we went to an antique shop or something."

Oh.

"That's... surprisingly sensible."

"Of course!" Having already stuffed her things into a bag of her own, Renko puts her hand on Mary's shoulder. "We're prepared for anything!"

You laugh, then, quietly, as you begin to move your own things into the bad you were provided. Certainly, these two are no end of liveliness...

---

"Come back soon!" The woman at the counter calls after you as you walk back out in to the early evening sun.

"So, I'll see you two back here tomorrow afternoon." They both nodded, and we departed to our homes.

Well... It seems I'll have something to look forward to, now.

DAY 1 - END

-----

So, a really long update. No more choices tonight, I'll probably have one up sometime tomorrow morning though.
>> No. 21536
>>21522
>[X] Equip items
>-[X] Mary - Leather Shirt

>Leather Shirt (D: 3, E: 15%, S: 10%)

>Maribel Han - Level 2 Magician
>|D: 2|E: 17%|S: 12%|

Is that a typo, or does Mary have a base defense of -1?
>> No. 21538
>>21536
No, he had Mary put on the parka instead of the leather shirt. Is there some sort of hidden armor restriction that prevents her from wearing the leather shirt?
>> No. 21539
>>21538

Nope. Anyone can wear the leather shirts.
>> No. 21540
>>21538
I think it was limited stock and prefering the leather shirts to go on the more melee-based folk.
>> No. 21541
The winning vote took into account the limited stock, but had Renko wear the parka and Mary wear the leather shirt. Mary's the stereotypical squishy wizard and needs all the defense she can get.
>> No. 21543
Oh damn, I read the vote wrong and thought Mary was wearing the Parka. Oh well, just give me a sec to switch them.
>> No. 21544
Well then, here's their correct profiles:

-----

Usami Renko - Level 2 Rogue - HP: 40/40 MP: 10/10
|A: 9|H: 88%|C: 13%|
|D: 2|E: 20%|S: 15%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 2 Magician - HP: 20/20 MP: 80/80
|A: 5|H: 80%|C: 2%|
|D: 3|E: 15%|S: 10%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (Atk: 8, target, 5 MP), Heal (Res: 8, target, 5 MP), Barrier (Def+ 8, 2 turns, target, 4 MP)
>> No. 21545
I should also apologize for the no-update day. I think it's going to become common to not update on Mondays, because I typically underestimate my workload. I'll shoot for tomorrow.
>> No. 21547
Glad we got that sorted out. For a while there I really did think Mary had a base defense in the negatives. Had that been the case, my next vote was going to be to have the poor girl eat something.

Thankfully, our Mary seems to be quite healthy, possibly in more ways than one.
>> No. 21549
>>21547

In two quite noticeable ways. Her base defense as a magician is just 0.

In other news, I'm also writing now.
>> No. 21551
Hey! This update should've been done this morning, but instead I sat around reading crappy webcomics! Isn't being a writefag awesome?

P.S. I am actually very sorry about the time it took. I will endeavor to be faster in the future.

-----

DAY 2

You sat through morning classes restless, your body jotting down notes on automatic. In the corner of your eye you can see Mary and Renko passing notes more frequently than usual, and you catch them sneaking a few glances at you.

After lunch, you wander around the shopping district until the meeting time.

Coffee shop - Café Gensokyo
Saturday 2:09


You push open the door to the little shop, noticing again how mysteriously cheerful the bell seems.

"Welcome! Your friends are waiting for you again." The same woman as yesterday is standing behind the counter again.

"Ah, thank you." Glancing about, you realize how empty the place is. "Business seems slow today."

"Ahahaha... it is. In fact, you're one of the only groups that's been in here all day."

"Really? That's pretty surprising..." You're speaking out of politeness, really. The coffee you'd had before certainly wasn't bad, but at the same time it wasn't anything impressive. It was in a pretty out of the way location for most people, too...

"Will you be having anything today?" She leans forward, perhaps a little too eagerly.

72 points

Order:

[ ] Coffee(3p)(Atk+)
[ ] Scone (4p)
- [ ] Blueberry (Evade+)
- [ ] Chocolate (Hit+)
[ ] Cinnimon Roll(Crit+)(5p)

[ ] Ask a question (write-in) (free~)

----

Items consumed here will grant be automatically consumed, and grant a bonus for the duration of this in-game day (DAY 2).
>> No. 21552
[X] Scone (4p)
-[X] Chocolate (Hit+)
[X] Ask a question (free~)
-[X] "I didn't catch your name yesterday..."
-[X] "What's the owner like?"

Hit+ buff because we'll probably use Combo a lot. Getting to know the café's staff will help, since I get the feeling we'll be here everyday.
>> No. 21553
[X] Scone (4p)
-[X] Chocolate (Hit+)
[X] Ask a question (free~)
-[X] "I didn't catch your name yesterday..."
-[X] "What's the owner like?"

Sounds good, and with our new weapon, we don't need an Att buff too much.
>> No. 21554
[X] Scone (4p)
-[X] Chocolate (Hit+)
[X] Ask a question (free~)
-[X] "I didn't catch your name yesterday..."
-[X] "What's the owner like?"

If we could get a blueberry scone for Mary we should do that too.
>> No. 21555
>>21554

I guess perhaps they might have choosen other foods if any.
>> No. 21556
[x] Scone (4p)
-[x] Chocolate (Hit+)
[x] Ask a question (free~)
-[x] "I didn't catch your name yesterday..."
-[x] "What's the owner like?"

>If we could get a blueberry scone for Mary we should do that too.
Good point.
Assuming we can order for the other characters:

[x] Mary: Scone (4p)
- [x] Blueberry (Evade+)
[x] Renko: Cinnimon Roll(Crit+)(5p)
>> No. 21557
>>21556

Sure, why not. I can see a scenario for that, at least.
>> No. 21568
Calling the vote. And, since I'm feeling nice, I'm throwing in the orders for the other characters, too.

[x] Scone (4p)
-[x] Chocolate (Hit+)
[x] Ask a question (free~)
-[x] "I didn't catch your name yesterday..."
-[x] "What's the owner like?
[x] Mary: Scone (4p)
- [x] Blueberry (Evade+)
[x] Renko: Cinnimon Roll(Crit+)(5p)

Writing now.
>> No. 21578
File 127006022389.png- (703.11KB , 763x651 , 3b58069530db2d5552c8f7ee4cd4bde0.png ) [iqdb]
21578
-----

[x] Scone (4p)
-[x] Chocolate (Hit+)
[x] Ask a question (free~)
-[x] "I didn't catch your name yesterday..."
-[x] "What's the owner like?
[x] Mary: Scone (4p)
- [x] Blueberry (Evade+)
[x] Renko: Cinnamon Roll(Crit+)(5p)

"I'll have a chocolate scone."

"Right away!"

As she opens the case, you lean slightly on the counter again.

"I didn't catch your name last time."

"I've got a nametag, haven't- eh!?" Her faint smugness disappears as a crimson tone creeps up over her cheeks. "I'm sorry, I guess I forgot it. My name is Ran."

You return her introduction with a slight bow.

"You mentioned the owner yesterday... what's she like?"

Ran seems to perk up at the question, and her blush fades.

"The Owner... is difficult to understand. She's a very secretive person, and very smart. She understands the way people think, maybe even a little better than they understand it themselves. But she's also very kind. She might not always show it, but she really does care about the people around her very much."

"She sounds like an interesting person. I think I'd like to meet her sometime."

"Maybe you'll have a chance to. If she comes by sometime I'll be sure to tell you." Ran smiles brightly, and you can't help but smile as well. "Here you go." Gingerly, she hand you the scone in a paper bag.

"Thank you." An interesting idea strikes you. "Actually, could you get a me a blueberry scone and a cinnamon roll too?"

"Sure."

A moment later, she hands you two more bags, with "bb scone" and "cnmn roll" helpfully scrawled on the sides. You take them in your other hand and walk to the tables once more.

"You're late! You should have been here- ah!" An underhanded toss of the "cnmn roll" nicely derails her train of thought. Pulling up a chair, you pass off the "bb scone" to Mary and sit down.

"My treat."

"How kind of you. Did something nice happen?" Mary inquires calmly.

"I guess you could call it a thank-you. After all, it's not everyday you get to find something like this." You take a bite of your own scone. It's properly soft, and quite chocolaty.

Renko grins at you, tearing into the cinnamon roll. "Who would've guessed? Even someone like you is capable of such kindness..." She licks a blob of icing off her finger, then pops another piece into her mouth. "I feel like my opinion of you was too low."

"Renko, that was rude," Mary chides. "You shouldn't talk with your mouth full."

After finishing your pastries, the three of you gather again around the women's restroom door, soon to be your portal back into another world.

"Everyone has their things, right?"

"Yeah." You heft the shopping back over your shoulder.

"Of course!" With her usual air of arrogance, Renko gestures to her own bag.

Like a schoolteacher on a field trip, Mary runs through your checklist of supples. Now properly equipped, Mary open the door, and you all step through into the wooded grove.

Casting a glance around the area, you frown "...We're not in the same place."

Mary raises her eyebrows. "Really?"

"He's right." Renko adjusts her hat, looking back down at the clearing. "But it's not too big of a deal. Look, the lake from before is just a ways over there." She points through the trees. You don't see anything, but you've learned from last time that you can trust her instincts.

"So, what should we do?"

"Huh?"

"We could head back to the lake from last time, or would could check out more of the forest. Which do you want to do?"

[ ] Misty Lake
[ ] Forest

-----

59 points

You: (Hit +5%)
Mary: (Evade +5%)
Renko: (Crit +5%)

-----

Yes, Maribel and Renko enjoy teasing you.
>> No. 21579
[X] Forest

Let's find Alice.
>> No. 21580
[X] Forest
>> No. 21581
>"I've got a nametag, haven't- eh!?" Her faint smugness disappears as a crimson tone creeps up over her cheeks. "I'm sorry, I guess I forgot it. My name is Ran."

Somehow...I knew this.

[X] Forest

It's light out, what could possibly go wrong in the Forest of Magic~?
>> No. 21582
>>21581

This is dungeon selection. Everything.
>> No. 21585
[x] Misty Lake

A bit more training wouldn't hurt, that and we have yet to fight that area's boss.
>> No. 21586
Go around the misty lake to the large mansion on the other side.

NO, bad servant. Pick a choice that's there.
[x] misty lake

DUNGEONS ARE BAD FOR LOW LEVEL CHARACTERS. I think that all three of our party could use more experience first, and Cirno would make a good first boss. I'm curious, if we beat a Touhou do we get them as a party member, and if not how do we get new members?
>> No. 21589
[x] Forest
Renko is though Pran tier
>> No. 21594
>>21586

Most bosses are not recruited. At least, not immediately.

>>21589

Who is Pran?
>> No. 21595
[x] Misty Lake

Our wizard is still too squishy for the dungeon. The witches can wait.
>> No. 21596
[X] Misty Lake

We need to fight the strongest fairy first before we can even consider 'Army of Dolls' and 'MASTA SPARKU!!!'

> My name is Ran.

Level ?? Beast/Humanoid (Elite)

That would probably make Yukari...

Level ????? ????? (Rare Elite Boss)
>> No. 21598
[x] Misty Lake
>> No. 21599
Votes called for [x] Misty Lake. It's Cirno time! Well, eventually.
>> No. 21600
Just as an aside, why do I see a 3 vs. 3 (vs. Sanae, Suwako, and Kanako) in the distant future?
>> No. 21601
>>21600

I have no idea. That could be an interesting idea, though...
>> No. 21602
File 12701738444.jpg- (50.21KB , 576x378 , untitled-45-pmu.jpg ) [iqdb]
21602
Back to the lake!

-----

[x] Misty Lake

"Let's head back to the lake. There could still be more to investigate."

"Okay! Follow me!" Filled with enthusiasm, Renko charges off through the brush, helpfully slowed by Mary gripping her sleeve. In unusually high spirits, you follow after them.

As you progress, the air once again becomes chill as the thick, crystalline mist returns. The leather shirt proves much warmer than your summer uniform, and from the looks of it Mary has noticed as well. Renko, naturally, seems just as unaffected by the cold now as she was before.

"Be on the lookout. There's probably more of those fairies around," You caution.

"Oh, come on! We can take anything they throw at us!"

"Don't get too cocky. We haven't met everything here, I'm sure of it." Renko's smugness doesn't fade, but she does slow down to a more reasonable rate.

After another minute, you hit the shoreline of the lake again. Renko stops and looks up, peering through the fog.

"Where we were before is down that way." She points to the right. "That shop is down there, too," she adds.

[ ] Backtrack (right)
[ ] Into the unknown! (left)

-----

Sorry about slowness, I thought I could do a 'write-a-thon' short this morning, and failed. I'll be more punctual tomorrow, I hope.
>> No. 21603
[x] Into the unknown! (left)

No sense going back where we were.
>> No. 21604
[X] Into the unknown! (left)

Hmm, do we have map making materials? Or does the RPS Renko Positioning System have an auto-map feature?
>> No. 21605
[X] Into the unknown!

Nothing ventured...
>> No. 21606
>>21604

That last one. As a Ranger, you also have the ability to remember pretty much any path you've already been down. Unlike Renko, though, it doesn't tell you absolute position.
>> No. 21607
[X] Into the unknown!
>> No. 21608
Alright, calling it for "left". Writing soon.
>> No. 21609
File 127022817535.jpg- (668.87KB , 800x1200 , 2ca5e7eb6fafd37a10d9ca243616a128.jpg ) [iqdb]
21609
Here we go.

-----

[Q] Into the unknown! (left)

"Left. We'll see if there's anything interesting on the other side of the lake."

"Okay!" Once again, Renko takes the lead, striding purposefully along the shore.

It's interesting, you suppose, that despite the seemingly perpetual cold, the lake itself isn't frozen, and actually seems to be home to a rather large amount of wildlife. Numerous frogs sit silently among the reeds, and farther out schools of fish swim and flit near the surface.

Your observation is interrupted when your procession comes to a halt. Blocking the path are several fairies, of which one stands out. She seems larger, more defined, and her hair is an inexplicable shade of green. Her dragonfly-like wings hum slowly, and the other fairies- two of whom seem to be the blue icy type- hover behind her.

The large fairy, apparently the leader, crosses her arms over her chest and stares at the three of you confidently. Then, she speaks.

"Humans! You will regret your trespassing!"

...

"Who are you?"

"I am a great fairy! My name is-"

:: Battle, Start! ::

Enemies:

Great Fairy - Level 5 Midboss - HP: 50/50 MP: 50/50
Ice Fairy A - Level 2 Cannon Fodder - HP: 20/20 MP: 25/25
Ice Fairy B - Level 2 Cannon Fodder - HP: 20/20 MP: 25/25
Fairy - Level 2 Cannon Fodder - HP: 20/20 MP: 15/15

Party:

You - Level 2 Ranger - HP: 60/60 MP: 20/20
|A: 13|H: 88%|C: 7%|
|D: 5|E: 18%|S: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 2 Rogue - HP: 40/40 MP: 10/10
|A: 9|H: 88%|C: 18%|
|D: 2|E: 20%|S: 15%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 2 Magician - HP: 20/20 MP: 80/80
|A: 5|H: 80%|C: 2%|
|D: 3|E: 20%|S: 10%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (Atk: 8, target, 5 MP), Heal (Res: 8, target, 5 MP), Barrier (Def+ 8, 4 turns, target, 4 MP)

Items:

Potion (HP +15) x5, Mana (MP +30) x5, Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x5

Commands:

[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Skill [ ] Spell
[ ] Item [ ] Flee

-----

A midboss battle! This one may be a bit more challenging.
>> No. 21610
[x] You:Combo(if ready if not attack ice fairy A)
[x] Renko: Stealth
[x] Mary: spell: barrier on self
>> No. 21611
>>21610

Also, remember that this still goes two turns at a time, so if you want Mary and Renko can do addition actions under that vote.
>> No. 21612
[x] You:Combo(if ready); attack ice fairy A
[x] Renko: Stealth; attack ice fairy A
[x] Mary: spell: barrier on self; spell: flare on ice fairy B

>>21611
forgot about that.
>> No. 21613
[X] You - Combo - Attack Ice Fairy A
[X] Renko - Stealth - Attack Fairy
[X] Mary - Barrier on self - Flare on Ice Fairy B

Spreading out the damage in case Combo does really well, and if Renko crits, I'd rather not waste it on what our character is attacking.
>> No. 21614
[X] You - Combo - Attack Great Fairy
[X] Renko - Stealth - Attack Fairy
[X] Mary - Barrier on self - Flare on Ice Fairy B
>> No. 21615
>"I am a great fairy! My name is-"

Poor Daiyousei, interrupted by a battle transition.
I wonder if she'll be indignant that the battle started before she could fully introduce herself.

[X] You - Combo - Attack Ice Fairy A
[X] Renko - Stealth - Attack Fairy
[X] Mary - Barrier on self - Flare on Ice Fairy B
>> No. 21616
Vote called.

[X] You - Combo - Attack Ice Fairy A
[X] Renko - Stealth - Attack Fairy
[X] Mary - Barrier on self - Flare on Ice Fairy B

Wins, writing soon.
>> No. 21618
Forgot my battle theme!

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=QBo7hwHfVJw

-----

[X] You - Combo - Attack Ice Fairy A
[X] Renko - Stealth - Attack Fairy
[X] Mary - Barrier on self - Flare on Ice Fairy B

Before she can finish you bring your sword around in a one-handed slash. Though caught off guard, she still manages to rise out of the way. The ordinary fairy behind her, however, is not nearly so lucky, and is sent nearly a meter sideways by the sheer force of it, her attacks flying skyward harmlessly.

You dash forward, under the great fairy as she begins her barrage. Renko falls back, abruptly vanishing into the underbrush as several small shots graze her. One of the ice fairies fires several rounds after her, and you hear a muffled curse as one presumably strikes her.

Muttering a few words, Mary raises her hand, a ripple-like shell flowing around her. The remaining blue fairy hurls an icicle at her, but it dissolves quickly into steam as it reaches the barrier.

Moving your other hand to the hilt, you take a wide swing at the two distracted ice fairies. One dodges barely, while you manage to nick to other's leg. Using the momentum, you spin around, carrying a second strike at the nimble creature, who easily evades it a seconds time. You see it's hands shimmer, and the air around you grows cold so suddenly you flinch.

The dazed fairy you struck at first sits up, rubbing her nose. As she begins to form another set of bullets, Renko bursts from the bushes behind her, her knife cleaving through the air into her midsection. Once again, her shots fly wayward, vanishing into the air without hitting anything.

The leader floats down again, a bluish-white light flowing from her hands around the wounded fairy, closing up it's injuries by the second.

Though surprised, Renko manages to leap back when the ice fairy attacks her again, landing safely. Mary, too, is unscathed, as her shield nullifies another attack from her increasingly frustrated opponent, whom she quickly repels with a blast of flame.

---

* Ice Fairy B took 10 damage.
* Fairy took 11 damage.
* You took 3 damage.
* Renko took 3 damage.

---

Enemies:

Great Fairy - Level 5 Midboss - HP: 50/50 MP: 45/50
Ice Fairy A - Level 2 Cannon Fodder - HP: 20/20 MP: 20/25
Ice Fairy B - Level 2 Cannon Fodder - HP: 10/20 MP: 25/25
Fairy - Level 2 Cannon Fodder - HP: 9/20 MP: 15/15

Party:

You - Level 2 Ranger - HP: 57/60 MP: 20/20
|A: 13|H: 88%|C: 7%|
|D: 5|E: 18%|S: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 2 Rogue - HP: 37/40 MP: 10/10
|A: 9|H: 88%|C: 18%|
|D: 2|E: 20%|S: 15%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 2 Magician - HP: 20/20 MP: 71/80
|A: 5|H: 80%|C: 2%|
|D: 11|E: 20%|S: 10%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (Atk: 8, target, 5 MP), Heal (HP +8, target, 5 MP), Barrier (Def+ 8, 4 turns, target, 4 MP)

Items:
Potion (HP +15) x5, Mana (MP +30) x5, Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x5

Commands:

[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Skill [ ] Spell
[ ] Item [ ] Flee

-----

Sadly, I think this battle may run into tomorrow.
>> No. 21619
Oh, Dai's a healer. Less need for Renko to waste turns with stealth for now.

[X] You - Combo - Attack Ice Fairy B
[X] Renko - Attack Fairy
[X] Mary - Cast Flare on Ice Fairy B

Focus on the weakened flunkies first.
>> No. 21620
[X] You - Combo - Attack Ice Fairy B
[X] Renko - Attack Fairy
[X] Mary - Cast Flare on Ice Fairy B
>> No. 21621
Do we score points on finesse or some kind of system?
[X] You - Combo - Attack Ice Fairy A
[X] Renko - Attack Fairy
[X] Mary - Cast Flare on Ice Fairy B
Modified slighty.
>> No. 21622
>>21621

Finesse? How would that work.
>> No. 21623
Terminating enemies swiftly or how they are killed, such as stunning a target with a bomb followed by a crushing blow, or freezing them solid and smashing them to bits.
Rough Example:
Stealth(x1.25) + Bomb(5 points) + Combo(10 Points)= 18.75 ≈ 19 points.
>> No. 21624
>>21623

That sounds awfully complicated. So, probably not, sorry?
>> No. 21625
>>21621
I think points in this are basically the gold pieces of most RPGs and there's a set amount per enemy type.
>> No. 21628
Vote called.

[x] You - Combo - Attack Ice Fairy B
[x] Renko - Attack Fairy
[x] Mary - Cast Flare on Ice Fairy B

Wins. Writing soon.
>> No. 21629
>>21628
>Wins. Writing soon.

Hooray!
>> No. 21636
Well, what do you know? "Writing soon" means "writing frantically tomorrow night."

-----

[x] You - Combo - Attack Ice Fairy B
[x] Renko - Attack Fairy
[x] Mary - Cast Flare on Ice Fairy B

"So it can heal them, huh?"

"Take the big one out first?" Renko asks, holding her hat as she and Mary evade the great fairy's next wave of bullets.

"No." You twist your sword, batting away a stray shot. "We take out everything else so there's nothing left to heal."

"Oh." Swinging her knife, she buries it almost offhand in the small fairy's shoulder, narrowly missing it's vitals.

The hail of destructive lights finished, you grasp your blade with both hands and circle it around you. The spin barely clips one of the ice fairies, striking the other one on the side and catching the unfortunate creature that had so recently escaped Renko's knife across the head, knocking it to the ground.

A sudden burst of flame engulfs the icy fairy you just struck, vaporizing it. In retaliation, the other one fires a burst of ice shards. With a faint glimmer of light, they slice through her protective barrier without a mark, thrusting into her body and shattering.

Closing the three meters in a single bound, you wind her attacker with a single, downward stroke. Renko, too, spins around, disposing of her foe with an off-hand thrust.

"Mary! Are you okay?"

For the first time, you see something in Mary's eyes close to anger. Mechanically, she thrusts out her hand, expelling a sharp burst of fire that sears the grass, leaving nothing but tiny wisp of steam where the ice fairy was.

Another rain of lights starts up, peppering you and Renko with shots, though none of them manage to cause more than a scratch.

Results:

* Ice Fairy A died.
* Ice Fairy B died.
* Fairy died.
* Great Fairy took 1 damage.
* You took 3 damage.
* Renko took 4 damage.
* Mary took 5 damage.
* Mary’s barrier fades.

Enemies:

Great Fairy - Level 5 Midboss - HP: 49/50 MP: 45/50

Party:

You - Level 2 Ranger - HP: 54/60 MP: 20/20
|A: 13|H: 88%|C: 7%|
|D: 5|E: 18%|S: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 2 Rogue - HP: 33/40 MP: 10/10
|A: 9|H: 88%|C: 18%|
|D: 2|E: 20%|S: 15%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 2 Magician - HP: 15/20 MP: 61/80
|A: 5|H: 80%|C: 2%|
|D: 3|E: 20%|S: 10%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (Atk: 8, target, 5 MP), Heal (HP +8, target, 5 MP), Barrier (Def+ 8, 4 turns, target, 4 MP)

Items:
Potion (HP +15) x5, Mana (MP +30) x5, Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x5

Commands:

[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Skill [ ] Spell
[ ] Item [ ] Flee

-----

Switching to three-turn mode. Please remember to issue commands for the next three turns this round.

Sorry about how long this battle is taking.
>> No. 21637
You- Stealth, Attack, Attack
Renko- Stealth, Attack, Attack
Mary-Barrier(Mary), Small bomb, Flare
>> No. 21638
>>21636
>Sorry about how long this battle is taking.
This is a midboss battle, it's supposed to take longer than cannon fodder.

[X] You - Attack Great Fairy x3
[X] Renko - Stealth - Attack Great Fairy x 2
[X] Mary - Cast Barrier on self - Cast Flare on Great Fairy x 2

Our higher defense and HP total means we don't need the evasion benefits of stealth like Renko does, and attacking more should draw aggro. I'm betting we're due for a level up after this, so less need to worry about Mary's MP.
>> No. 21639
[X] You - Attack Great Fairy x3
[X] Renko - Stealth - Attack Great Fairy x 2
[X] Mary - Cast Barrier on self - Cast Flare on Great Fairy x 2
>> No. 21640
[X] You - Attack Great Fairy x3
[X] Renko - Stealth - Attack Great Fairy x 2
[X] Mary - Cast Barrier on self - Cast Flare on Great Fairy x 2
Due for a level up, true. Good thinking.
>> No. 21642
>>21638
what about the critical boosts? Renko could use that.

And in big battles you're supposed to use buffs.
>> No. 21643
>>21642
Renko is using Stealth, I'm saying the MC shouldn't, as his Crit% isn't high enough to make up for the lost attack, and he can take hits better. Also, I'm expecting to finish this fight in three turns, unless Dai has huge heals.
>> No. 21649
>Dai has huge heals.

Hmmm...

Vote called.

[x] You - Attack Great Fairy x3
[x] Renko - Stealth - Attack Great Fairy x 2
[x] Mary - Cast Barrier on self - Cast Flare on Great Fairy x 2

wins. Writing soon.
>> No. 21651
>>21649
Don't emphasize it like that, I did not write that as a pun or innuendo.

>Writing soon.
If this keeps up, you should consider changing it to "Writing Soon™".

Pointless sage because this thread is at the top of the board and I feel like it.
>> No. 21652
>>21651
My mind seeks puns like a lungfish searching for water. Similarly, I can last upward of three days without them.

Also, yesterday was incredibly busy, so I didn't have time to write.

Sage for not updating.
>> No. 21653
Sorry about the delays™.

-----

[x] You - Attack Great Fairy x3
[x] Renko - Stealth - Attack Great Fairy x 2
[x] Mary - Cast Barrier on self - Cast Flare on Great Fairy x 2

You signal to May and Renko, then take a flying leap toward the last remaining opponent. It responds by dropping a few feet to hover just over the ground, letting you soar overhead, and then fires directly up. Without any means of dodging, you have no choice but to bear the brunt of the attack, which sends you sprawling as you hit the ground.

A cursory glance back tells you that your goal of buying the girls some time was at least accomplished. Mary is surrounded once again by her barrier, and Renko has vanished soundlessly back into the bushes.

Before the fairy has time to react, you hurtle forward, running low along the ground, and swing the wooden sword in a mighty uppercut. As your opponent rises to avoid it, Renko appears from behind it, bringing her own weapon down with two hands, sticking through her shoulder. Though stunned, she manages to stop your attack with a hard kick.

In unison, the two of you retreat, allowing a coiling streak of fire to surround her and knock her to the ground. With a shout, she throws her arms up, unleashing a hurricane of colored lights. You weave between them with ease, though a number of them clip Renko.

You immediately strike again, and, while failing to do any real damage, create an opening that allows Renko to slash her from behind. Mary fires another fireball, singing the fairy's hair and back. Before a counter attack can be mounted, Renko has already slipped out of range.

---

Result:

* You took 4 damage.
* Renko took 2 damage.
* Great Fairy took 16 damage.

Enemies:

Great Fairy - Level 5 Midboss - HP: 33/50 MP: 45/50

Party:

You - Level 2 Ranger - HP: 50/60 MP: 20/20
|A: 13|H: 88%|C: 7%|
|D: 5|E: 18%|S: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 2 Rogue - HP: 31/40 MP: 10/10
|A: 9|H: 88%|C: 28%|
|D: 2|E: 30%|S: 15%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 2 Magician - HP: 15/20 MP: 47/80
|A: 5|H: 80%|C: 2%|
|D: 11|E: 20%|S: 10%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (Atk: 8, target, 5 MP), Heal (HP +8, target, 5 MP), Barrier (Def+ 8, 4 turns, target, 4 MP)

Items:
Potion (HP +15) x5, Mana (MP +30) x5, Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x5

Commands:

[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Skill [ ] Spell
[ ] Item [ ] Flee

-----

After seeing the length and small damages involved in this fight, I think I might need to adjust the system slightly. We'll see.
>> No. 21655
[X] You - Attack Great Fairy x3
[X] Renko - Stealth - Attack Great Fairy x 2
[X] Mary - Cast Flare on Great Fairy - Cast Barrier on self - Cast Flare on Great Fairy

>After seeing the length and small damages involved in this fight, I think I might need to adjust the system slightly. We'll see.
Be careful about doing this. We're fighting a midboss that's three levels higher than our party. And even a mature system can have slow combat. The last time my D&D group played, our party of five (and one celestial weasel) ran into nine orcs that were two levels lower than it. It took six rounds to kill five of the orcs before the remaining four surrendered. It would have been another three rounds if they hadn't.

That said, I have several questions:
1. I noticed that you listed Renko with higher crit and evasion than last time. Is this her under the effects Stealth? Does 2 turns mean the turn she uses it and the following turn, or 2 turns after she uses it?
2. What is the Rogue class supposed to be like? Renko has higher crit and evasion but lower HP and defense compared to the MC, and her special skills seem to be lacking from a damage dealer standpoint.
3. Mary leveled up but her Flare and Heal spells didn't change. Will her current spells get stronger over time or will she only do more damage through higher level spells?
>> No. 21656
[X] You - Attackx3
[X] Renko - Stealth,Attackx 2
[X] Mary - Cast barrier on Renko, Cast Flare x2
>> No. 21657
>>21655

>1.
It is the effect of stealth, which I just clean forgot to remove.

>2.
Critical hits and not getting hit. I'll probably give her some kind of "extra turn" skill, along with some other stat boosting stuff.

>3.
I've been debating this myself, since making the spells more powerful would also make them cost more, which always used to irk me in games. I'll probably do it anyway, next level up.
>> No. 21658
>>21657
well there's upping whatever magic stat Mary has, since in Final Fantasy, a mere Fire Spell can become more powerful as the character levels up, it's just not as strong as a Fira or a Firaga spell.
>> No. 21660
[X] You - Stealth - Attackx 2
[X] Renko - Stealth, Attackx 2
[X] Mary - Cast barrier on Renko, Cast Flare x2
Stealth = Crit? Goody
>> No. 21661
Votes averaged.

[x] You - Attackx3
[x] Renko - Stealth,Attackx 2
[x] Mary - Cast barrier on Renko, Cast Flare x2

Wins, writing about now.
>> No. 21679
This is approaching "7 minutes" territory at an alarming rate.

-----

[x] You - Attack x3
[x] Renko - Stealth,Attack x 2
[x] Mary - Cast barrier on Renko, Cast Flare x2

"Again!"

You run forward, hitting the fairy with a thrust, interrupting it's attack, which jumps out as a tiny spark, stinging your arm. You recoil, trusting again before it can respond. Renko appears, slashing it severely before vanishing up into the trees.

Fire flies over your shoulder, but at the last moment she raises her hand, countering it with a shimmer of light. The soft blue light spreads from her other hand, healing her injuries from your recent attack.

Blurring past underneath, Renko's knife dances across the enemy's legs. Avoid the newly deflected blast of flame and following torrent of lights, you hit it across the shoulder heavily, dropping it.

Renko turns around quickly, wincing slightly at the new wounds on her back, readying herself for another attack.

Results:


* You took 1 damage.
* Renko took 2 damage.
* Great Fairy took 18 damage.

-----

Enemies:

Great Fairy - Level 5 Midboss - HP: 17/50 MP: 40/50

|A: 10|H: 85%|C: 5%|
|D: 2|E: 15%|S: 5%|
Skill: Spread shot (hit all, hit%-)
Spell: Heal (HP+ 8, target, 5 MP)

Party:

You - Level 2 Ranger - HP:49/60 MP: 20/20
|A: 13|H: 88%|C: 7%|
|D: 5|E: 18%|S: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 2 Rogue - HP: 29/40 MP: 10/10
|A: 9|H: 88%|C: 18%|
|D: 2|E: 20%|S: 15%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 2 Magician - HP: 15/20 MP: 33/80
|A: 5|H: 80%|C: 2%|
|D: 11|E: 20%|S: 10%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (Atk: 8, target, 5 MP), Heal (HP +8, target, 5 MP), Barrier (Def+ 8, 4 turns, target, 4 MP)

Items:
Potion (HP +15) x5, Mana (MP +30) x5, Small Bomb (15 dmg, target) x5

Commands:

[ ] Attack [ ] Defend
[ ] Skill [ ] Spell
[ ] Item [ ] Flee

-----
>> No. 21680
Okay I think we're in range to win this

You- Attack x 3
Renko attack x 3
Maribel-Small bomb, then if needed Flare x2.
>> No. 21681
You- Attack x 3
Renko Attack x 3
Maribel Attack x 3

and it turned into a ballroom blitz!

But really, >>21680
>> No. 21682
>>21681

I am imagining the zombie bashing scene from Shaun of the dead.
>> No. 21683
You- Attack x 3
Renko- Attack x 3
Maribel- Attack x 3

This is all we really need to finish her off.
>> No. 21684
You- Attack x 3
Renko- Attack x 3
Maribel- Attack x 3
>> No. 21685
You- Attack x 3
Renko- Attack x 3
Maribel- Attack x 3
>> No. 21687
[x] You- Attack x 3
[x] Renko- Attack x 3
[x] Maribel- Attack x 3

Blitz indeed. Writing soon.
>> No. 21693
Temporary demotivation conquered, update posted.

-----

[x] You- Attack x 3
[x] Renko- Attack x 3
[x] Maribel- Attack x 3

Before it has a chance to attack, you dive past it, dealing two swift diagonal cuts. Mary waves her hand, and the fine, icy mist blanketing the area quickly condenses into a trio of icicles. The fairy raises her hand to counter them with shots of her own, only to catch Renko's boot in the small of her back, followed by the blade narrowly missing her head.

Two more ice crystals join Mary's cloud before she finally fires it, the glistening, nigh-invisible shards slicing through the air with barely a sound. They explode on impact, shards flickering as they fade back into the fog, leaving small cuts on their target.

You raise the wooden sword over your head, and, tensing, bring it down from behind with all your might. With a sharp snap and a swirl of lights, the enemy vanishes.

---

Battle clear! +129 power, +50 points (total: 109 points)

Found one "Fancy Dress (D: 2, E: 12%, S: 5%)"(Maribel, Renko)!
Found four Potion!
Found two Mana!

New creature index: "Great Fairy"

---

Sticking your sword into the ground, slumping down against it.

"Whew..." You sigh, wiping the cold sweat off your face.

Renko leans against the base of a tree next to Mary.

"Ahaha..." Knife folded, she slips it back into her pocket. "That was harder than I thought."

"Hold still," Mary commands, as the blueish aura spreads over Renko's body. After a few seconds it fades out, along with her recent wounds and even the tears in her clothing.

"Wow, that's pretty handy, isn't it?"

While Renko admires the result of her healing, Mary, having already taken care of herself, walks over to you. Placing her hands on your arms, she begins to speak quickly under her breath. A cool, refreshing sensation forms in your body, sapping away the pain and exhaustion.

"Thanks."

You stand up a brush yourself off. Since a cursory glance reveals no sign of other enemies nearby, you reluctantly put your own weapon away as well.

---

* Level Up! *

You - Level 3 Ranger - HP: 90/90 MP: 30/30
|A: 16|H: 83+5%|C: 7%|
|D: 6|E: 18%|S: 11%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 2 turns), Combo (Hit all, Hit%-), Protect(Def +, target, self evd-)
Spell: None

Usami Renko - Level 3 Rogue - HP: 60/60 MP: 15/15
|A: 11|H: 88%|C: 13+5%|
|D: 2|E: 20%|S: 15%|
Skill: Stealth (evd+, crit+, 3 turns), Agility (evd+, hit+, 40% free turn, 3 turns)
Spell: None

Maribel Han - Level 3 Magician - HP: 30/30 MP: 120/120
|A: 6|H: 80%|C: 2%|
|D: 3|E: 15+5%|S: 10%|
Skill: None
Spell: Flare (16 dmg, target, 10 MP), Heal (HP +16, target, 10 MP), Barrier (Def+ 14, 4 turns, target, 8 MP), Bind (Stun 70%, target, 5 MP)

-----

Another part coming hopefully within the hour, complete with a non-battle choice.
>> No. 21694
File 127101999333.png- (1.33MB , 1500x2000 , d7299599d1a20be3a4b4dcb83d57b9fb.png ) [iqdb]
21694
Stats:
Great Fairy - Level 5 Midboss - HP: 50/50 MP: 50/50
|A: 10|H: 85%|C: 5%|
|D: 2|E: 15%|S: 5%|
Skill: Spread shot (hit all, hit%-)
Spell: Heal (HP+ 8, target, 5 MP)

The exact origin of a Great Fairy is unknown. The most commonly accepted theory is that they are merely more powerful fairies, though it has been proposed that they are "fallen" youkai, or may someday grow into youkai, or, as insisted by a some vocal minorities, are in fact several fairies that have fused together.

However they came to be, they are distinct from their cousins in both power and intelligence. Most Great Fairies are capable of both understanding and speaking human language, and some may even be cordial. Once they have made an area their home, they will usually attempt to command its lesser fairy residents, an easy task, as they are almost immediately respected by their peers. Among groups of Great Fairies, a rudimentary political system appears to have developed.

They can learn low-level magic, and some learn to make or use weapons. Unfortunately, due to their greater "mass," they are much slower to reincarnate.

>> No. 21703
So, for those of you still following this, I have to say the next update may be a day or two (or three, or four,) away, because sometimes, life sucks.

In other news, I should really stop giving all these short ETAs, shouldn't I.
>> No. 21704
>>21703
We'd rather have slightly bigger ETAs with nice surprises than a bunch of delay announcements.
>> No. 21705
>>21704
Noted.

I'm going to guess that there's no way to "power down" the spells that Maribel recently got strengthened, right?
>> No. 21707
>>21705
Would we want to? Seeing as damage is simply a random number from one to the value listed, using full-strength against even weaker targets is worthwhile, if only to better the odds of a one-shot kill. If we're really feeling stingy, we can always just have her wand stuff to death; it's only two less damage than the old flare and completely free.
>> No. 21708
>>21705

If you can think of a reason you'd need to, I'd be glad to figure out how to work it.
>> No. 21709
>Unfortunately, due to their greater "mass," they are much slower to reincarnate.

Daiyousei is healthy. In more than one way, I think.

Looking forward for more of this adventure.
>> No. 21710
>>21705
I don't see the reason; she has tons of MP as it is and chances are in future battles, we'll need that extra power.
>> No. 21713
Not an update, but a question.

How do you guys think I should do sidequests and their ilk? Should they be accepted automatically? Should they take precedence over your current actions, run along side them, or wait until you finish whatever you're doing now?
>> No. 21714
Well, it depends. If the sidequest blocks off future sidequests or two sidequests are mutually exclusive, let us choose if we take it. Otherwise, I don't mind auto-accepting them. As for when they run, along side. I like to multitask quests when possible for efficiency.
>> No. 21715
>>21714
This pretty clearly sums up my own thoughts on the matter. So I'll just say, "I agree."
>> No. 21733
File 127198090296.jpg- (51.23KB , 485x327 , Q_signal.jpg ) [iqdb]
21733
>> No. 21739
>>21733

I'm a sucker for these things.

Sorry about the lack of communication, especially the lack of updates. I've been slaving away at a pretty huge story for a writing class, so I haven't had time to finish writing the update yet. I'd like to say I'll write on the weekend, but it's going to be really busy, so I'll settle for "early next week, hopefully."
>> No. 21769
>>21739

It's now 'late next week' so I decided to check up on you. You okay?
>> No. 21778
>>21769

Physically, sure. Otherwise, not really. The fact that things I should have done two weeks ago are still there is a bit of a problem. I'm still putting some words on the post when I get a chance, though.
>> No. 21784
File 127299422239.jpg- (341.31KB , 487x700 , f1b725069d0d791d3a3fa507947abc29.jpg ) [iqdb]
21784
Sorry for the wait, I'm back.

-----

"Hurry up!" Renko calls from farther ahead, waving her arm energetically. Somehow, over an hour of combat and vigorous movement hasn't dampened her enthusiasm for exploring this world on bit; in fact, you'd go so far as to say it's increased it.

"At least she isn't running too far this time." You mutter under your breath as you help Mary up another incline. It's strange, though- for how forested the area seems to be, some parts are almost randomly elevated anywhere from waist-height to rises over a dozen feet high, like the most recent one.

It feels almost like this world is some kind of huge ji-

The world turns sideways, and the thinly-grassed ground smashes into your face. The impact leaves you with an odd, tinny feeling in your sinuses, all the way to the back of your skull, which fades quickly.

You pry yourself from the earth's rich-soiled embrace, and fix your eyes on Mary as she vainly attempts to hold back a giggle.

Never speak of this again

"Hey! You're going to slow!"

In a burst of adrenaline, you're on your feet, casually dusting yourself off by the time Renko makes it back around the corner. She fixes you with a mild glare, casting a sidelong glance to Mary, who's still smiling faintly.

She raises an eyebrow, scowl fading. You cut her off as the corners of her mouth start to rise.

"No. Whatever you're thinking, it's not that."

You walk past her, and she puffs out her cheeks in a mock pout.

"You're not supposed to do that before-"

"Nevermind, was there something important you came back for?"

"It's no good when it's only comebacks!" She shouts, stamping her foot.

"Did you find something?" Mary interjects. Renko's expression suddenly lights up.

"That's right! Well, almost!"

"How do you 'almost' find something?" you muse skeptically.

Instead of an answer, Renko's hands quickly snake themselves around your arm, nearly pulling you off your feet as she starts to run. You barely manage to catch Mary's hand as the three of you are pulled along like some living, hollering, train.

---

You come to a stop when Renko finally releases your arm, allowing you to fall limply to the ground. Mary sinks to a sitting position, fanning herself lightly.

"Let's see, it should be right around... this way!"

And, naturally, Renko is the only one who seems unaffected. You can't tell how much is just her personality, and how much is the cinnamon roll. She vanishes through a low, unnaturally neat hedge, only to reappear a mere moment later wearing a triumphant grin.

"I knew it!"

"What is it?"

Renko pulls you to your feet and helps Mary up, before gently(!) ushering you both through the hedge.

A massive building dominates the clearing, with a neatly-laid stone path leading out from the door, a fenced in garden behind it, and even flower boxes below the windows. Without delay, Renko strides to the door and throws it open. Suddenly-

[ ] Strike
[ ] Home run
[ ] Left field

-----

Cryptic choices? Hell yes. Next update will be in a new thread (oh boy!).
>> No. 21785
[X] Home run

Hilarity Ensues.
>> No. 21786
[X] Strike

SDM? Yuuka's house? Prismriver Mansion? Either way, we better get the hell outta dodge, our level's too low for this.
>> No. 21787
[x] Home run

All the choices scare me.
>> No. 21788
[X] Left field

If only to see what will come out of it.
>> No. 21789
[X] Grand Slam

Okay, that might be too difficult.


[x] Home run
>> No. 21791
File 127302947824.jpg- (36.90KB , 336x320 , 127107153487.jpg ) [iqdb]
21791
[X] Grand Slam
>> No. 21792
'[x] Home Run' it is. Writing soon.
>> No. 21818
New thread at >>21798 for those who haven't noticed.


[Switch to Mobile Page]
Thread Watcher x