[Return]
Archived thread

File 122399630786.jpg - (22.84KB , 1024x768 , Graveyard.jpg ) [iqdb]
11649 No. 11649
Testing Server Connection.

Connection Resolved.

Option Selection Mode: On
Custom User Input: On
Parallel Threading: On

---

Thick air. Cloudy sky. Bad moon.

He remembers the rumors he heard as a kid. Monsters would come out during nights like these to steal the souls of the living. Bad kids who wandered around at night would get the attention of these monsters, and eventually they would vanish. Kids who played near the graveyards would be even worse off; they would go missing almost immediately, never to be found again. It is said that those who were spirited away like this faced a fate worse than death.

He chuckles. After all this time, he is still a bad kid.

He takes a moment to check his equipment.

>> No. 11651
SUDDENLY, LAs
THOUSANDS OF THEM
>> No. 11653
File 12239970237.jpg - (47.99KB , 413x720 , keine_sensei.jpg ) [iqdb]
11653
[X] Status
He is healthy. He is wearing a heavy leather jacket over his traveller's clothes. His boots are worn.

[X] Inventory
A longsword, forged with blessed steel. Looks expensive.
A medium crossbow. Use arrows of the right size.
(15) A silver-tipped crossbow bolt. Hurts when hit.
Colt Peacemaker, heavily modified. Loaded with six special rounds.
>> No. 11654
File 122399763167.jpg - (5.93KB , 176x179 , hi.jpg ) [iqdb]
11654
He makes his way through the graveyard without incident. He stands in front of a small church.

"They said to come here, now what?," he asks himself.

He jerks up as he smells a horrid stench. It reminds him of old vomit, an outhouse, and of rotting flesh all at the same time.

Something is approaching him from behind.

[ ] longsword
[ ] crossbow
[ ] revolver
>> No. 11655
[x] longsword

Unless it's a Dawn of the Dead zombie, it should be slow enough for us to pull this off.
>> No. 11656
[~] longsword

Save ammo.
>> No. 11657
>Colt Peacemaker, heavily modified. Loaded with six special rounds.

Proton bullets? If the ionization-rate is constant for all ectoplasmic entities, we could really bust some heads . . . in a spiritual sense, of course.

[x] revolver

I AIN'T FRAID OF NO GHOST
>> No. 11658
>>11657
He might need those bullets where he is going. This is /border/ after all...

[+] longsword
>> No. 11660
File 122399932178.png - (156.50KB , 750x365 , undead zombie so yeah.png ) [iqdb]
11660
>"They said to come here, now what?," he asks himself.

>He jerks up as he smells a horrid stench. It reminds him of old vomit, an outhouse, and of rotting flesh all at the same time.

>Something is approaching him from behind.

Then Anon Freeman saw something bad. A headcrab
was on Reimu Hakurei! Reimu Hakurei standed up
and said “Anon Freeman. . . you got here slow and now i am zombie goast. you will pay. . ."

And then Anon Freeman was crushed by Reimu's balls.
>> No. 11661
File 12239995378.jpg - (31.07KB , 374x500 , entrance.jpg ) [iqdb]
11661
He draws his sword and slashes behind him in one sweeping movement.

Its head drops to the ground lifelessly. The body takes a few more steps forward before crumpling down on the ground.

He surveys the area. More seem to be approaching. Some seem to be climbing out of open graves.

A few seem to be former children.

In this open space, he will easily be surrounded.

He recalls the stories he heard about old churches. During the war, the villagers used them as sanctuary. Some of them even escaped using secret passageways in its crypts.

Two of them are shambling forward.

[ ] Keep fighting.
[ ] Enter the church.
[ ] Run for it.
>> No. 11662
[x] Enter the church.

Fucking zombies.
Fucking undead.
>> No. 11664
[x] Enter the church.

They'll just keep coming.

This is the part where we run.
>> No. 11666
It is time for you to live up to your family name.

[☣] Enter the church.

Stop this scourge at its source.
>> No. 11667
[X] Enter the church.

Planning a thread for every board, are you? At the very least, I respect your ambition.
>> No. 11669
inb4 all of Anon writer's LAs die due to over-exerting himself
>> No. 11670
>>11655
>Dawn of the Dead zombie
GAHHH
FUCKING RUNNING BASTARDS
ZOMBIES DO NOT RUN
>> No. 11671
[X] longsword

My sword, you, have, etc.
>> No. 11672
[x] Enter the church.
>> No. 11678
>>11669
inb4 we find out that Anon is really 5 people and a monkey.
>> No. 11679
File 122402688040.jpg - (121.06KB , 429x600 , youmu.jpg ) [iqdb]
11679
Loading User Commands:
[X] Enter the church.

---

"When's dinner? I'm huuungry!"

Youmu sighs as she heads toward the kitchen. Her gluttonous mistress must be satiated, after all.

A cool breeze blows over the open hallways. She closes her eyes for a moment, enjoying the sensation.

"It probably feels only half as good as it should," she says.

Despite this, she manages a slight smile as she peers out into the night. The full moon is unusually bright this evening. This side of the garden is calm, perhaps the other ghosts are congregating somewhere else? They usually make pests of themselves whenever they have the chance.

"Eh?"

Youmu stares as ghostly pink butterflies come into view. The insects flutter around the garden before heading in her direction. They pause to fly around her, as if giving a greeting, before finally flying off into the night sky. She continues look out into the sky long after they are out of view.

"Dinner! Dinner! I'm gonna die, uwaaaa!"

She gives a large sigh before walking onward. It seems her mistress is already waiting in dining room.

Youmu takes a moment to consider what to cook.

[ ] Japanese-style dinner. This is the standard fare.
[ ] Chinese cooking. She has only recently started learning.
[ ] Italian food. Pasta shouldn't be too difficult.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 11682
>>11679
[] French cuisine.

This LA needs more croissant.
>> No. 11687
[x] Paella. Wait, why do you know that recipe?

I'm sure this choice is important but I don't know how.
>> No. 11688
>>11682
[*] French cuisine.

This LA needs more WINE, you mean.
>> No. 11689
[x] French cuisine.

Whatever. Let's see what Youmu can come up with.
>> No. 11692
>"It probably feels only half as good as it should," she says.

I see what you did there.

[x] French cuisine.

Her own pâtissier! Yuyu loev pastry.
>> No. 11699
File 122404769087.jpg - (36.37KB , 600x400 , dark_room.jpg ) [iqdb]
11699
Loading User Commands:
[X] French cuisine. Goes well with a good wine.

---

Butterflies. He feels like his stomach is full of butterflies. Sickly green creatures fluttering about from inside. He struggles to maintain composure, but to no avail. In the end, he walks to a corner, violently vomitting on the ground.

He wipes the blood off his sword with a rag as he catches his breath. He thought he was safe after barricading the door. He didn't think that some of them would be small enough to crawl in through the windows. He didn't think there would be so many of them, half the size of adults.

Like a plague, it spared no one. Not even children.

He has slain seven or eight of them, so far. The missing village children.

He takes a large iron key from his pocket and examines it closely. It seems to have some words engraved on it. While rust has coated most of it, a single word can still be read - "Hope".

During the short reprieve after he barricaded the door, he found this key behind the altar. Perhaps there is an escape tunnel beyond these crypts, just like those village rumors.

He pockets the key and picks up his dropped torch. He cautiously moves forward, sword at hand. The crypts seem to extend deep underground.

After several minutes of wandering, he arrives at a junction.

[ ] Go left.
[ ] Go right.
>> No. 11700
[x] Go left.

Go wrong.
>> No. 11703
[x] French cuisine.

You are now imagining Yuyuko's triangle hat being replaced by a beret. Still has the Dreamcast logo on it, though.
>> No. 11704
[left] Go right.
>> No. 11707
[-] Go Left.

Yuyuko dinner gaems.
>> No. 11713
[x] Go left.

Go Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.
>> No. 11716
[x] Go left.

bagon
>> No. 11721
File 12241126404.jpg - (225.62KB , 930x701 , yuyuko.jpg ) [iqdb]
11721
Loading User Commands:
[X] Go left.

---

Yuyuko holds the bottle up and reads aloud, "Aesop's Hope".

"They have really good wine at the Outside, I'll have to remember to thank Yukari!"

Youmu sighs.

"You don't even remember what you had for breakfast," she says.

"Breakfast? No, I don't remember exactly but,"

Yuyuko reaches out and holds Youmu's hand.

"I remember it was tasty."

Youmu blushes red as she pulls her hand away. Yuyuko laughs at this as she sips her wine.

"You can't live in the past. You can't get stuck on all the little details. You gotta sieze each day like it was your last!"

"But, you are a ghost, Lady Yuyuko," Youmu counters.

"You need to take it easy once in a while," Yuyuko says. She takes another bite followed by another sip.

"B-b-but I need to maintain proper decorum at all times! It is my duty as your retainer."

Yuyuko puts down her glass and looks thoughtfully at the half-ghost.

"You are a fine retainer. But more than that, you are my companion and my close friend."

Yuyuko grips Youmu's shoulder tightly. She has a somber expression.

"You don't know how much that means to someone like me..."

Youmu looks down and sips her wine in silence.

"...After all, it's such a bother cooking and taking care of this place by myself," Yuyuko finishes.

Youmu chokes in surprise. She coughs violently as Yuyuko breaks out in laughter.

"R-r-really, I don't know how I put up with you," Youmu mutters.

She considers what to do next. She needs to start her night patrol soon.
[ ] Politely excuse herself and leave Yuyuko in the dining room.
[ ] Escort Yuyuko to her bedroom.
[ ] Stay with Yuyuko until she finishes.
>> No. 11722
[ ] Politely excuse herself and leave Yuyuko in the dining room.
>> No. 11723
[x] Politely excuse herself and leave Yuyuko in the dining room.

In b4 she hides under the kotatsu
>> No. 11734
[x] Politely excuse herself and leave Yuyuko in the dining room.
>> No. 11736
[ ] Politely excuse herself and leave Yuyuko in the dining room.
>> No. 11739
[x] Politely excuse herself and leave Yuyuko in the dining room.

Of course, if Yuyu objects...
>> No. 11740
File 122413513199.jpg - (36.17KB , 400x331 , steel_door.jpg ) [iqdb]
11740
Loading User Commands:
[X] Politely excuse herself and leave Yuyuko in the dining room.

---

He raises the glass to the dusty old skeleton before raising it to his lips.

Earlier, he managed to find this room, but not without trouble. After turning left, he had to navigate a number of tunnels. He encountered more of the undead, of course. He lost count of how many he had fought before finding this small haven. At the end, he used the key to open a heavy steel door.

"Lucky break," he mutters as he swirls the wine in his glass.

He takes a long look around the room again. It's clearly a large storeroom of some sort. Or perhaps it held something important in the past.

He feels like he just trapped himself inside. The skeleton in the corner doesn't make him feel much better.

"Well, at least I'll die of hunger or thirst instead," he says out loud.

He was able to find stores of food, water, and wine in the room, perhaps a supply worth a couple of weeks. He was also able to find a travelling pack, some rope, a lantern, and a few other tools. The first thing he did, of course, was to gather everything that could be useful. It was only afterward that he realized that he was trapped.

"So, why did you leave such good wine before you died? I even had my fill of old bread and meat! Did you know I was coming?"

The skeleton lies silent in the corner.

Suddenly, he realizes something odd. The room has food and drink. The steel door is strong enough to hold off the cursed creatures outside. How did this person die?

He shakes his head, trying to get sober. He walks up to the skeleton and examines it. By the looks of things, the person had been dead for a long time. He cocks his head as he notices something beside the skeleton. It looks like a page torn off a diary. He picks it up and reads.

"I think I know how to escape. I may be condemned as a heretic for this,
but I must do what I can to save these children. I am currently holding in
my hands a book that the Church was supposed to burn. I don't know
what I was thinking then, but something told me to keep it.

There is a ritual that can open a path to another world, but that place is
neither heaven, nor is it hell. Perhaps the children will have a better
chance at life there. No, I am sure that anywhere else is better than
the place where we stand.

However, this ritual has a heavy price. I only hope that the children find
a way to survive on their own. This is my last wish."

He rereads the note to be sure, then surveys the room again. There are no other skeletons or bodies. Does this mean there is a way out? And what did he mean by "another world"? He examines the room more carefully. In a few minutes, he discovered something behind the bookcase in the corner.

A long tunnel. It looks like a natural formation, but it is suspiciously large enough for a single human to go through.

He takes a moment to think. There is probably space left in his pack for one more thing.

[ ] Bring the silver candlestick on the table. It is a bit tarnished, but seems to be made of pure silver.
[ ] Bring a bottle of "Aesop's Hope" wine. A good wine and a good year.
[ ] Bring the person's skull. Maybe you can talk to it when you're bored.
>> No. 11741
[x] Bring the person's skull. Maybe you can talk to it when you're bored.

oh god /sdm/ LA flashbacks. Maybe this guy will turn into a ghost and become our snarky sidekick.
>> No. 11742
>However, this ritual has a heavy price. I only hope that the children find a way to survive on their own. This is my last wish."

He sacrificed his life to complete a spell to in order to save children's lives. He is more deserving of our consideration than a candlestick or booze. Even the silver in that candlestick is worthless when compared to the bones of a saint.

[x] Bring the person's skull. Maybe you can talk to it when you're bored.

>A long tunnel. It looks like a natural formation, but it is suspiciously large enough for a single human to go through.

THIS HOLE. IT WAS MADE FOR ME.
>> No. 11747
[x] Bring the person's skull. Maybe you can talk to it when you're bored.

Did we ever name the skull back in /sdm/?
>> No. 11748
>>11747

Murray
>> No. 11751
Oh not this shit again.

[x] Bring the silver candlestick on the table. It is a bit tarnished, but seems to be made of pure silver.
>> No. 11757
[x] Bring the person's skull. Maybe you can talk to it when you're bored.
>> No. 11760
...Well, this is pretty lame so far. It's just kind of like the recycled parts of other LAs, and generic in general.
>> No. 11773
[X] Bring a bottle of "Aesop's Hope" wine. A good wine and a good year.

Nobody up for scoring with Yuyuko and Youmu?
>> No. 11774
>>11773

That's what HLA is for.
>> No. 11776
>>11774

True, but we could at least "befriend" them.
>> No. 11777
[X] Bring a bottle of "Aesop's Hope" wine. A good wine and a good year.

why talk to a skull when the bottle's the best listener
>> No. 11778
[x] Bring the silver candlestick on the table. It is a bit tarnished, but seems to be made of pure silver.
>> No. 11791
[x] Bring the silver candlestick on the table. It is a bit tarnished, but seems to be made of pure silver.
>> No. 11792
File 122420128636.jpg - (199.44KB , 600x819 , youmu.jpg ) [iqdb]
11792
Loading User Commands:
[X] Bring the person's skull. Maybe you can talk to it when you're bored.

---

As Youmu finishes her nightly patrol, she pauses to enjoy the cool breeze.

"Peaceful," she says aloud.

She completed her rounds without encountering anything unusual. No intruders or uninvited guests. No signs of any new incident. Even the ghosts seem to be calm as they hover leisurely around.

A place that is neither heaven nor hell. She wonders idly at how such a junction can be so peaceful.

She arrives back at the entrance and takes a long look at the moon.

"Father, I wonder if you can see the same moon as I," she whispers.

Decades have passed since he left, and decades since she has taken up the sword as his successor. Is he still on his journey? Is he still in Gensokyo? Is he still alive?

Youmu shakes her head. This is just another test for her, after all.

She just needs to focus on her duty.

[ ] Check if Yuyuko is sleeping, then retire for the night.
[ ] Make some tea and enjoy the moonlight.
[ ] Patrol around the grounds again
>> No. 11794
[x] Pour yourself some sake and enjoy the moonlight.

feels good man
>> No. 11795
>>11792
[¬] Patrol around the grounds again

Let's get this show started.
>> No. 11796
[x] Patrol around the grounds again


Workaholic moe~
>> No. 11797
[x] Patrol around the grounds again
>> No. 11800
File 122421369397.jpg - (123.86KB , 1024x512 , Duel.jpg ) [iqdb]
11800
Started a bit slow for background development, but I think I can see where this is headed.

And do want.

[^] Patrol around the grounds again
>> No. 11803
[x] Make some tea and enjoy the moonlight.
>> No. 11806
File 122421790779.jpg - (127.25KB , 720x509 , marsh.jpg ) [iqdb]
11806
Loading User Commands:
[X] Patrol around the grounds again

---

The journey through the tunnel was arduous. Far longer than he imagined, he had to take breaks to rest and to eat. Several times along the way, his torch went out, forcing him to take a fresh one from his pack. He travelled for hours, and soon lost count.

Ever since he left that room, he hasn't met a single human: dead, living, or in-between, not even skeletons or decomposing bodies. That is the only reason why he decided to keep going.

He lost track of time long ago, but his rations serve as a reminder of his underground trek. He started with over a week's ration, and now he has only three days of supplies left.

"How many days more will it take to crawl out of this damn tunnel," he mutters to himself.

As if to answer him, the tunnel gradually gets damper. The earth sinks under his boots. Soon, he is sloshing around, knee-deep in mud and water. He goes on, as he sees a faint light ahead.

"Wonderful," he says, exasperated.

He steps out of the tunnel and looks around. The place looks like a swamp, or perhaps a marsh. It certainly smells like one, at least. Still knee-deep in water, he makes his way to a dry bank.

He considers relighting his torch, but the moon is illuminating the area quite well. Perhaps his eyes have adjusted to the tunnel darkness.

There seem to be two visible landmarks from where he is standing.

[ ] Head towards the building complex to the left.
[ ] Head towards the gargantuan tree to the right.
[ ] Head deeper into the swamp.
>> No. 11807
[x] Head towards the building complex to the left.

WHERE ARE THE CHILDREN MURRAY?
YOU SAID THERE WOULD BE CHILDREN
>> No. 11808
[x] Head towards the building complex to the left.
>> No. 11809
[x] Head towards the building complex to the left.
>> No. 11812
[x] Head towards the building complex to the left.

>[X] Patrol around the grounds again
BRACE FOR TIME PARADOX
>> No. 11815
[x] Head towards the building complex to the left.

I wonder how kindly Youmu'll take to us carrying around some dude's skull.
>> No. 11821
>>11815

Positively, actually, if his spirit still lingers in it.
>> No. 11845
File 122431033549.jpg - (63.27KB , 500x775 , youmu.jpg ) [iqdb]
11845
Loading User Commands:
[X] Head towards the building complex to the left.

---

Youmu steps outside and breathes in the morning air. She looks up at the sun, then sighs. It looks like she spent too much time patrolling last night, although it was a pleasant walk overall. She takes another deep breath, filling her lungs with the refreshing breeze. Sleeping in once in a while isn't so bad, she thinks.

"I slept in?," she asks herself, "Then who made breakfast?"

She rarely gets to sleep in. Even if she slept late or exhausted, Yuyuko would usually shake her awake, moaning "Breakfast! Youmu, breakfast... uuuuuu...so hungry", etc. She doesn't sleep in because her mistress won't let her.

The only other times she would oversleep would be after a festival or party, and even then, she would usually wake up near her mistress.

Come to think of it, she hasn't seen Yuyuko all morning. She begins to ponder her whereabouts, when something gets her attention. She looks around the grounds. Something feels off this morning. Did something change while she slept?

Suddenly, her stomach grumbles. She hasn't had any breakfast yet, perhaps she should prepare some.

Youmu pauses to sort out her mind.
[ ] Look for Yuyuko.
[ ] Check the grounds.
[ ] Make breakfast.
>> No. 11847
[x] Make breakfast.

Attract Yuyuko and the mysterious newcomer to you and fill your stomache! We're killing three birds with one stone!
>> No. 11848
[ ] Make breakfast.
>> No. 11850
[Youmu] Check the grounds.
[Traveler] Find empty house, trespass, make breakfast, get caught in the act.
>> No. 11851
[ ] Make breakfast.
>> No. 11865
[~] Make breakfast.
>> No. 11883
File 12244854623.jpg - (64.95KB , 465x500 , youmu2.jpg ) [iqdb]
11883
Loading User Commands:
[X] Make breakfast.

---

Anon watches carefully as the girl walks away muttering something about breakfast. The girl doesn't seem to be hostile, but she is carrying a pair of foreign swords. By the way she is acting, she may be an apprentice swordsman. He sighs in relief as she disappears out of sight.

He thought that the complex was abandoned when he arrived last night. He managed to find the well, so he was able to wash off most of the mud from his clothes. After a quick survey, he allowed himself to collapse inside a nearby workshed. It seems that he wasn't attacked by anything during the night, so he went out to get a drink from the well. He was barely able to hide himself when a girl came from the main building.

He decides to inspect himself. He is carrying his crossbow, longsword and revolver. He left his pack back at the workshed.

A delicious aroma wafts in from the side of the house that the girl went. He realizes that he hasn't had a cooked meal in days.

Anon pauses to think.

[ ] Follow the girl from the shadows. Maybe you can learn more from afar.
[ ] Approach the girl directly. Maybe you can ask her for directions or assistance.
[ ] Subdue the girl. Maybe you can disarm her before anything else.

(sub-options)
[ ] Leave weapon/s at the workshed. (specify)
[ ] Take your pack from the workshed.
>> No. 11884
[x] Approach the girl directly. Maybe you can ask her for directions or assistance.
[x] Leave weapon/s at the workshed. (all weapons)

We come unarmed and in dire need of food and medical treatment. HALP YOUMU~
>> No. 11885
{X} Approach the girl directly. Maybe you can ask her for directions or assistance.

{X} Leave weapon/s at the workshed. (crossbow & longsword)
>> No. 11886
[!] Approach the girl directly. Maybe you can ask her for directions or assistance.
[!] Leave weapon/s at the workshed. (crossbow, longsword)

Revolver as a last resort, though I doubt it will help much.
>> No. 11887
[x] Approach the girl directly. Maybe you can ask her for directions or assistance.
[x] Take your pack from the workshed.
>> No. 11888
[x] Approach the girl directly. Maybe you can ask her for directions or assistance.
[x] Leave weapon/s at the workshed. (all weapons)
>> No. 11891
[❖] Approach the girl directly. Maybe you can ask her for directions or assistance.
[❖] Leave weapon(s) at the workshed. (crossbow & longsword)

The revolver is readily concealable.
>> No. 11901
[x] Approach the girl directly. Maybe you can ask her for directions or assistance.
[x] Leave weapon/s at the workshed. (crossbow, longsword)
>> No. 11907
>Colt Peacemaker, heavily modified. Loaded with six special rounds.
I think this was lifted from Supernatural, but it was a cool idea. Good show, too.

>He is carrying his crossbow, longsword and revolver.
Damn, this is Anon van Hunter.

I wonder what he'll think when he realizes he's surrounded by the dead, here.
>> No. 11926
File 122458162399.jpg - (102.42KB , 800x518 , hakurei_shrine.jpg ) [iqdb]
11926
Loading User Commands:
[X] Approach the girl directly. Maybe you can ask her for directions or assistance.
[X] Leave weapon/s at the workshed. (crossbow, longsword)

---

"Visiting Reimu. Take care of the house.
- Yuyuko"

Youmu sighs as she reads the hastily scribbled note. She carries in breakfast from the kitchen. It looks like the second portion may go to waste. She takes note to save it for later, in case Yuyuko returns early. She places the dishes on the table and sits herself down.

"Mistress is always so carefree, doing whatever she wants anytime of the day. No wonder she didn't bother to wake me this morning," Youmu mutters.

Suddenly, she hears a floorboard creak from outside. Someone is outside, and it isn't a ghost.

She takes her swords and slides the door open. Her eyes narrow as she sees the intruder.

"Who are you?," she asks.

Before her stands a stranger in foreign garments. He is wearing heavy traveller's clothes stained with mud. They seem to have been hastily cleaned off with water. He doesn't seem to be carrying anything, as he shows his open palms to her. However, his coat can easily conceal a small weapon.

"Well? Do you not understand what I am saying?," she says sternly.

Youmu remains on guard. Her experience tells her that this person can fight.

And he smells of blood.
>> No. 11927
File 122458272466.jpg - (77.74KB , 500x691 , youmu_questioning.jpg ) [iqdb]
11927
"Who are you?", the young girl asks.

The question rings in his ears. He opens his mouth to answer but no words come out. In fact, the more he tries to think about it, the harder it is to remember. He can't remember what he was doing beyond yesterday. The last thing he can remember is being sent to investigate an incident at a church. He somehow remembers fighting undead creatures as he went deeper into the crypts to find a way to escape. The rest is a blur. It is as if he is slowly forgetting who he is.

"Umm," he mutters. She doesn't seem to hear it.

"Well? Do you not understand what I am saying?," she says sternly.

He notices that she is pointing one of her blades at him. Her body looks tense, as if ready to strike. He needs to calm her down.

"I didn't mean to sneak around or startle you," he manages.

He notices a white wisp-like thing behind the girl. Suddenly, he realizes something important - that white thing is giving a similar feeling as those undead he fought yesterday. However, the girl doesn't seem to mind it. Is she possessed? Perhaps he can try to exorcise the thing and free the girl.

"So you do understand. What is your name then?," the girl says. She seems calm, but she can attack at any moment.

He pauses to think.

[ ] Whip out your pistol and fire at the white wisp behind her. He can take a chance while it isn't ready.
[ ] Rush forward and knock the girl unconscious. If she's possessed, he better prevent her from hurting anyone.
[ ] Run away without a word. Retreat seems best when unsure.
[ ] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... (specify)
[ ] Custom
>> No. 11930
[ ] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... "Inquisitor Tarsk".

I was burning some heretics and ended up here. With our gear I say we probably look like a witch hunter. Heh, Games Workshop.
>> No. 11931
[x] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... (Raymond Stantz)
[x] "Where are the children?"
>> No. 11933
[x] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... (William Bowdern)
[x] "Where are the children?"
>> No. 11934
[x] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... (Walter Halloran)
[x] "Where are the children?"
>> No. 11935
[x] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... (Gabriele Berardi)
[x] "Where are the children?"
>> No. 11936
[x] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... (Vincent Gray)
[x] "Where are the children?"
>> No. 11937
[x] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... (Michael Rhodes)
[x] "Where are the children?"
>> No. 11943
[x] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... (Lord of the Murder)
[x] "Where are the children?"
>> No. 11944
[x] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... "Inquisitor Tarsk".

Breaking the tie because this is starting to get old.
>> No. 11947
Alright, what sniggering pop culture reference is "Inquisitor Tarsk"?

I know it's a pop culture reference because whenever you people name a character it's always a pop culture reference.
>> No. 11948
>>11946

I'm going to make a guess and say it's Warhammer.

Personally, I wanted to be Van Helsing.
>> No. 11949
[x] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... "Inquisitor Tarsk".
>> No. 11950
So what are each of these from?
>> No. 11951
Fuck this. I'll pick...

...

...what the fucking fuck they're all references to something.

What the fuck.

Raymond Stantz is from Ghostbusters, William Bowdern and Walter Halloran were the real priests whose experience The Exorcist was based on, Gabriele Berardi was the friar who performed an exorcist on Salvador Dali and received a scupture of Christ in return, Vincent Gray was the child Malcolm failed to help in The Sixth Sense, and Michael Rhodes was a character who appeared on Rod Serling's Night Gallery more than once.

What the fucking fuck.

What the fucking motherfucking fuck.

Fuck. Fuck this. I'm going to pick the one that sounds the least stupid--which, not coincidentally, are the ones that I had to make some effort Googling for. One of the last two. I'll flip a coin, then. Fuck.

[x] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... (Vincent Gray)
[x] "Where are the children?"

I hate you all. I fucking hate the all of you.
>> No. 11953
>"Inquisitor Tarsk"
No. Do not want to be a fucking "inquisitor". We don't have to be devoted to the Church to hunt undead, and we haven't acted like we are anyway.

[x] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... (Vincent Gray)
[x] "Where are the children?"

Voting this because nothing else would win.
>> No. 11955
[x] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... (Vincent Gray)
[x] "Where are the children?"

voting this because it seems generic enough that the character will not take on many personality traits from said character (looking at you Nanaya and Chu Chulain)
>> No. 11958
[x] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... (Vincent Grey)
[x] "Where are the children?"

Change spelling imo.
>> No. 11964
File 122466895064.jpg - (55.19KB , 300x300 , youmu3.jpg ) [iqdb]
11964
Loading User Commands:
[X] Give her your name. You can't seem to remember your own, but for now... (Vincent Gray)
[X] "Where are the children?"

---

"My name is Vincent Gray. I am just a simple traveller," he says.

"I see," the girl says. "Where do you come from?"

"I was somewhere in the border countries of Central Europe before I found myself here," he answers.

The young girl sighs. She sheathes her swords, but she doesn't loosen her grip.

"Another Outsider," she mutters.

"May I ask for your name? And just where is this place?," Vincent asks.

"My name is Youmu Konpaku, gardener and retainer of the Mistress of this shrine. And this place is Gensokyo."

The two stand in silence for a few moments. Vincent clears his throat and decides to ask something else.

"Have you seen any lost children around?," he asks.

Youmu gives him a puzzled look. "You are the first human to arrive here in days."

Vincent sighs. As he thinks of what to do next, his stomach grumbles noisily. He looks away to hide his embarrassment. Youmu sighs.

"Would you like to have breakfast with me? You can explain your circumstances in detail as we eat," she says. Her tone is completely business-like.

Vincent pauses to think.
[ ] Accept her offer. Tell her everything you remember.
[ ] Accept her offer. Tell her what you remember, but leave out details about the undead.
[ ] Accept her offer. Tell her you remember nothing.
[ ] Decline her offer. Ask for more questions outside.
[ ] Decline her offer. Take your things from the workshed and leave.
[ ] Decline her offer. Pretend to leave, then shadow her movements.
>> No. 11971
[ ] Accept her offer. Tell her what you remember, but leave out details about the undead.
>> No. 11972
File 122468322994.png - (146.37KB , 450x600 , CRAAAZY.png ) [iqdb]
11972
[x] Accept her offer. Tell her everything you remember.

She'll start thinking "Wow, your life must be totally awesome!"
>> No. 11973
[¬] Accept her offer. Tell her what you remember, but leave out details about the undead.

Yes, I'm sure telling Youmu that you kill zombies, ghosts, and vampires will have no negative consequences whatsoever...
>> No. 11975
[x] Accept her offer. Tell her everything you remember.

I don't think she's going to fault you for slaying zombies.
>> No. 11976
>>11973

Oh, come on. The ones we kill are abominations that prey on the living. Yuyuko and Youmu do not. And since we asked "WHERE ARE THE CHILDREN?!" she's bound to bring up why we asked that sooner or later. How long are we going to keep that shit a secret and possibly lie?
>> No. 11977
>>11976
Oh, and an addendum: Remember the stuff we left in the workshed? How long do you think it'll take until Youmu finds them and asks us why an outsider is carrying enough weaponry to slaughter dozens of people?
>> No. 11980
[x] Accept her offer. Tell her everything you remember.
>> No. 11985
>>11977
Don't forget that we have a skull inside our pack. Definitely not suspicious...
>> No. 11992
[x] Accept her offer. Tell her everything you remember.
>> No. 12010
File 122475986734.jpg - (118.76KB , 400x396 , youmu_tea.jpg ) [iqdb]
12010
Loading User Commands:
[X] Accept her offer. Tell her everything you remember.

---

"Yes, I'll accept your kind offer," Vincent says.

Youmu leads him inside to the dining room. There are two portions set. He stays silent as he takes a seat opposite her. Did she expect him to arrive?

"Feel free to eat while we talk," she says as she pours tea for him. She pours herself some tea, as well.

"I can't remember much, so forgive me if I can't give too many details," Vincent says.

"Just tell me what you know," she says.

Vincent pauses to organize his thoughts. They start eating as he thinks.

"I think I'm some sort of hunter," he says. "Last thing I remember was fighting some undead, zombies to be specific."

"Zombies," Youmu repeats. Her tone hasn't changed at all.

"Reanimated corpses. I was carrying weapons that can hurt and destroy them. I think they can be used against other forms of undead as well, like poltergeists, vampires, and ghosts."

"Hmm?" she says. Her tone is still calm, but she seems to hold her cup a few seconds longer than needed.

Vincent goes on explaining everything he can remember. He found himself surrounded, so he took shelter inside an old church. Unfortunately, some of the undead were children, so they were able to slip in through the windows. He was forced to go into the underground crypts until he was able to lock himself inside a large storeroom.

Youmu nods politely as he tells his story. She seems to be a bit tense.

Vincent continues his story. He found some supplies in the room, but most important was the page from the diary. It told him that there was some sort of escape passage that led to "another world" in the room. He found the tunnel behind a bookcase, and he took his chances with it. He travelled for several days until he found himself in a marsh. He headed to the closest sign of civilization, which happens to be this shrine.

"I took shelter outside in a workshed until this morning. I spotted you earlier, and I decided to talk to you so I can get some directions," he finishes.

The two continue to eat in silence. Youmu seems to be in deep thought.

"What do you plan to do next?" she asks.

[ ] Custom
>> No. 12015
[x] "Find those children. Even if there's a good chance they're dead, I can't let it rest like this."
>> No. 12021
[X] "Find those children. Even if there's a good chance they're dead, I can't let it rest like this."

Murray~
>> No. 12022
[x] "What is this place? I haven't heard of Gensokyo before."
[x] "What is that white thing behind you?"
[x] Ask for a general description of the area.
[x] "Do you have any use for my skills?"
>> No. 12023
>>12010
Requesting awesome write-in. A funny bad end is fine too.

[x] "I plan to purge this land of undead filth. Know where I can find any?"
>> No. 12024
[X] "Find those children. Even if there's a good chance they're dead, I can't let it rest like this."
>> No. 12025
[x] "Find those children. Even if there's a good chance they're dead, I can't let it rest like this."

We're channeling the spirit of Skull Dude here.
>> No. 12027
[†] "Find those children. Even if there's a good chance they're dead, I can't let it rest like this."


[†] "What is this place? I haven't heard of Gensokyo before."
[†] "What is that white thing behind you?"
[†] Ask for a general description of the area.
[†] "Do you have any use for my skills?"
>> No. 12028
[X] "Find those children. Even if there's a good chance they're dead, I can't take it easy like this."
>> No. 12030
File 122478268049.jpg - (27.63KB , 300x300 , youmu.jpg ) [iqdb]
12030
Loading User Commands:
[X] "Find those children. Even if there's a good chance they're dead, I can't let it rest like this."

---

"Find those children."

"Children?," Youmu asks.

VIncent nods.

"It was the last wish of that selfless soul," he says.

"Are you sure? A lot of time passed since then. If they ended up in Gensokyo, most likely they would have been killed by youkai or evil spirits," Youmu says.

"Even if there is a good chance they are dead, I can't let it rest like this," he says firmly.

Youmu looks at him carefully.

"A valiant, but foolish quest," she says. "You will need some help."

Without warning, she draws her sword.

"Just don't move," she whispers.

"W-w-what the?" he manages. Vincent already has his hand on his revolver.

Several things happen in the next second. Youmu thrusts her blade toward his forehead. Vincent somehow manages to dodge the attack. He draws his revolver and fires at Youmu. She dodges the shot, but it still hits the white wispy thing behind her. She cries out in pain and crumples down on the ground. Vincent leaps from his position and runs outside.

Vincent doesn't stop running until he gets back to the workshed. He grabs his weapons and takes his pack.

"I don't understand, she said she would help me," he mutters to himself.

[She is not what she seems.]

"Why would she attack me like that?"

[The shot affected her. She isn't human.]

"But she seemed so kind."

[It was a trick to let down your guard.]

"..."

[Kill her.]

"No"

[She will kill you if you let her go now.]

"..."

[ ] Return to the dining room. Finish her with a mercy shot.
[ ] Return to the dining room. Subdue her using rope and sealing amulets.
[ ] Flee the building complex. Take your chances outside.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 12032
File 122478300183.jpg - (48.03KB , 413x720 , keine_sensei.jpg.jpg ) [iqdb]
12032
[X] Inventory
A longsword. Forged with blessed steel. Looks expensive.
A medium crossbow. Use arrows of the right size.
(15) A silver-tipped crossbow bolt. Hurts when it hits.
(5) Colt Peacemaker, heavily modified. Loaded with special rounds.
A large iron key. Some words are engraved on it: "~ Hope".
A length of rope. Has many uses.
A small lantern. Doesn't have much oil left.
A torch. Can probably last a few hours.
A small knife. You can use it to peel apples or open letters.
A box of water-resist matches. Playing with fire is fun.
A handful of clean rags. Has many uses.
A box of sealing amulets. Some don't look like they were made by the Church.
Some rations. Three days supply of dry jerky and stale bread.
A page torn off a diary. Carries a foreboding message.
A person's skull. It doesn't talk much.

System Hint:
Reasonable use of force may be helpful in unexpected situations.
>> No. 12033
[x] Return to the dining room. Subdue her using rope and sealing amulets.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Poor Vincent. If only he had Metagame Knowledge.
>> No. 12034
[†] Return to the dining room. Subdue her using rope and sealing amulets.
>> No. 12035
[£] Return to the dining room. Subdue her using rope and sealing amulets.
[£] Carry her back to the workshed.

We shot her in the Myon. Let's not let her shot us back.
>> No. 12039
[x] Return to the dining room. Subdue her using rope and sealing amulets.

Was she trying to cut through your confusion? Or was she attempting to destroy the spirit possessing you?

>[Kill her.]

If the latter, it's no wonder Murray wants you to kill her.
>> No. 12044
>>12039
[?] Apologize for shooting her Myon.
[?] While tying her up and sealing her with talismans.
[?] While having apologetic guiltsex with her.
>> No. 12045
[x] Return to the dining room. Subdue her using rope and sealing amulets.
[x] Molest her Myon. It.... It looks so delicious, and the battle we just had destroyed all the food. Lick it~
>> No. 12046
>>12044
[£] Apologetic guiltsex.

Do want. Far too early for it though.
>> No. 12062
[x] Return to the dining room. Subdue her using rope and sealing amulets.
>> No. 12072
File 122486031189.jpg - (40.76KB , 450x450 , myon.jpg ) [iqdb]
12072
Loading User Commands:
[X] Return to the dining room. Subdue her using rope and sealing amulets.

---

Vincent heads back to the dining room. He doesn't want to kill her, but he can't risk her running free. He slows down as he approaches. He carefully peeks into the room.

Youmu is lying unconscious on the floor. Her chest is moving up and down slowly. The white wispy thing is floating limp behind her. She has no visible wounds, but the shot clearly damaged her. The sword she was holding is on the ground. She is still wearing a second sword in her sheath.

[Kill her now!]

Vincent shakes his head. She may not be human, but he isn't going to kill her.

[You won't have this chance again, you fool!]

He wastes no time and takes the rope from his pack. He binds her arms and legs tightly; she has already displayed physical skill, he can't take chances. He tries to bind the wisp with the rope, but he fails as the object is ethereal. He takes an amulet and attaches it to the wisp; surprisingly it sticks without any problem.

He takes both swords and places them beside his pack. He sits himself down at the table and finishes his breakfast as he thinks. He looks back at Youmu, now bound on the ground. He feels like he should try to help her somehow, but there are no wounds that he can bandage. He sighs as he stares at the girl.

She looks so helpless and vulnerable like this.

[ ] Remove her clothes. She might be concealing weapons.
[ ] Tie a gag around her mouth. She might scream.
[ ] Double-check that the bindings are tight. She might loosen the knots.
[ ] Tie a blindfold around her eyes. She doesn't need to see you.
[ ] Gently sit her up on the wall. Check if she has a fever.
[ ] Probe her body and examine the wisp. Perhaps you can find some sign of the injury.
[ ] Carry her to another room. Maybe you can find a bed.
[ ] Carry her to the workshed. That area seems deserted enough.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 12073
[x] Gently sit her up on the wall. Check if she has a fever.
[x] Probe and examine the wisp; the bullet might still be lodged in it.
>> No. 12074
[x] Double-check that the bindings are tight. She might loosen the knots.
[x] Tie a gag around her mouth. She might scream.
[x] Gently sit her up on the wall. Check if she has a fever.
[x] Probe her body and examine the wisp. Perhaps you can find some sign of the injury.
[x] Carry her to the workshed. That area seems deserted enough.

In that order.

We just fucking shot Myon. If, and when, Youmu wakes up, she is going to either going to get pissed or call for Yuyuko, who'll most likely make us double dead when she sees the carnage. Taking her to the workshed will keep us from getting spotted when we start clearing up the misunderstandings. And I do believe there will be a ton of misunderstandings.
>> No. 12076
[x] Tie a gag around her mouth. She might scream.
[x] Double-check that the bindings are tight. She might loosen the knots.
[x] Remove her clothes. She might be concealing weapons.
[x] Tie a blindfold around her eyes. She doesn't need to see you.
[x] Grab your things, throw her over your shoulder and run away.

Oh fuck yes.
>> No. 12077
[x] Double-check that the bindings are tight. She might loosen the knots.
[x] Tie a gag around her mouth. She might scream.
[x] Gently sit her up on the wall. Check if she has a fever.
[x] Probe her body and examine the wisp. Perhaps you can find some sign of the injury.
[x] Carry her to the workshed. That area seems deserted enough.
>> No. 12078
I think we're going to freak once we check her temputure. Half-ghosts are normally supposed to have lower body tempture than normal humans.
>> No. 12106
[!] Double-check that the bindings are tight. She might loosen the knots.
[!] Tie a gag around her mouth. She might scream.
[!] Gently sit her up on the wall. Check if she has a fever.
[!] Probe her body and examine the wisp. Perhaps you can find some sign of the injury.
[!] Carry her to the workshed. That area seems deserted enough.

Protagonist without metagame knowledge? What is this world coming to?
>> No. 12116
File 122494823762.jpg - (145.13KB , 444x734 , youmu_and_myon.jpg ) [iqdb]
12116
Loading User Commands:
[X] Double-check that the bindings are tight. She might loosen the knots.
[X] Tie a gag around her mouth. She might scream.
[X] Gently sit her up on the wall. Check if she has a fever.
[X] Probe her body and examine the wisp. Perhaps you can find some sign of the injury.
[X] Carry her to the workshed. That area seems deserted enough.

---

Vincent examines her bindings, making sure they are tight. He also ties a gag around her mouth, in case she screams. He can't afford to let her escape or call for help. He doesn't know how strong this girl really is, and there may be others in the shrine grounds as well. He may easily end up dead if he isn't careful.

He pauses to consider stripping off her clothes and tying a blindfold, but decides against it. If she had any concealed weapons, he would have noticed it while binding her. A blindfold would prove useless, since she already saw him. They seem to be a bit excessive at the moment.

"What next," he mutters as he listens for any footsteps. The shrine seems quiet at the moment. He turns back at Youmu. She looks pitiable in her current state. He gently sits her up against the wall and places the back of his hand on her forehead.

"Temperature is a bit low," he says. Did the shot do so much damage that her body can't recover?

Vincent first examines the wispy object behind her. His hands go through it as if it was fog, but he doesn't feel any coldness. He can't find any sign of a bullet hole at all, did it just vanish? He examines the walls of the room, but the bullet isn't lodged in any of them.

He turns back to the wisp and traces his fingers along its edges as he ponders what to do next. Youmu moans wearily. Vincent jumps and readies to draw his sword, but she remains still. Looks like it was some sort of reflex reaction.

He gently probes Youmu's body for any cuts or wounds, but he finds none. He does notice how soft her skin feels to the touch, and how her hair tickles his fingers. She feels a bit colder than normal, but she really seems like a healthy young girl. She looks pretty cute like this, as if she is sleeping. Vincent is almost tempted to give her a kiss. He manages to recover by shaking his head violently.

"This is not the time for that," he says to himself.

He quickly lifts Youmu up and carries her back to the workshed. That area seems to be deserted enough for him to plan out his next move without alerting anyone else. As he gets closer to the workshed, he absentmindedly wonders how soft Youmu's lips would feel.

"Too bad everything's gone to shit," he says, sighing.

He gently puts the unconscious Youmu down at a corner of the shed. He sits her up, and adjusts her body to a more comfortable position. He then drops his pack beside him and takes a seat, leaning heavily on the wall behind him.

"What the hell am I going to do now?"

[ ] Custom
>> No. 12118
[x] Arm yourself with your sword and crossbow.
[x] Double-check and make sure nobody's near the workshed.
[x] Steal a kiss from the sleeping Youmu.
[x] Set your pack in front of her with the skull on top, so that it is the first thing she sees when she wakes up.
[x] Push down the gag and ask her how she's doing; don't remove it, though. Keep your hand on it for a speedy recover just incase she screams.
>> No. 12120
[x] Double-check and make sure nobody's near the workshed.
[x] Wake her up, gently.
[x] Undo the gag, but only after extracting a promise that she won't scream if you do (have her nod yes).
[x] Start your questioning with why she thinks her idea of "help" is STABBING SOMEONE IN THE FOREHEAD.
>> No. 12121
[x] Double-check and make sure nobody's near the workshed.
[x] Wake her up, gently.
[x] Undo the gag, but only after extracting a promise that she won't scream if you do (have her nod yes).
[x] Start your questioning with why she thinks her idea of "help" is STABBING SOMEONE IN THE FOREHEAD.

Changing vote a little.
>> No. 12122
[x] Double-check and make sure nobody's near the workshed.
[x] Wake her up, gently.
[x] Undo the gag, but only after extracting a promise that she won't scream if you do (have her nod yes).
[x] Start your questioning with why she thinks her idea of "help" is STABBING SOMEONE IN THE FOREHEAD.

Where did the bullet go, anyways?
>> No. 12125
>He does notice how soft her skin feels to the touch

SO SOFT!

[x] Double-check and make sure nobody's near the workshed.
[x] Wake her up, gently.
[x] Undo the gag, but only after extracting a promise that she won't scream if you do (have her nod yes).
[x] Start your questioning with why she thinks her idea of "help" is STABBING SOMEONE IN THE FOREHEAD.
>> No. 12143
[x] Double-check and make sure nobody's near the workshed.
[x] Wake her up, gently.
[x] Undo the gag, but only after extracting a promise that she won't scream if you do (have her nod yes).
[x] Start your questioning with why she thinks her idea of "help" is STABBING SOMEONE IN THE FOREHEAD.

>but she really seems like a healthy young girl.
>healthy
This must be a different Youmu.
>> No. 12145
File 122505052828.jpg - (25.80KB , 276x272 , youmu_angry.jpg ) [iqdb]
12145
Loading User Commands:
[X] Double-check and make sure nobody's near the workshed.
[X] Wake her up, gently.
[X] Undo the gag, but only after extracting a promise that she won't scream if you do (have her nod yes).
[X] Start your questioning with why she thinks her idea of "help" is STABBING SOMEONE IN THE FOREHEAD.

---

Vincent steps out of the workshed and surveys the area. There is no sign of anyone else around the workshed.

He heads back inside and examines the unconscious Youmu. He sighs as he realizes what he needs to do next.

"Hey, wake up," he says, gently nudging her shoulders.

No response.

"Wake up, we need to talk," he says, shaking her roughly.

No response.

He looks at the white wisp behind her thoughtfully, and gets an idea. He begins tracing a finger along its edge, from the round portion towards its tail. Youmu shuffles a bit. He strokes the wisp slowly, as if petting a cat. Youmu starts moaning incoherently. He smiles.

Stroke. Stroke. Stroke.

"Uuuugggh..."

Stroke. Stroke. Stroke.

"M-m-mop mit..."

Stroke. Stroke. Stroke.

"M-dy M-muko... m-n't..."

Stroke. Stroke. Stroke.

"MMMPH!" Youmu says as she jerks her head up.

"Welcome back," Vincent says with a smile. "We both have questions. I'm going to remove the gag now, but if you scream or resist..."

Vincent looks at her seriously, then takes his crossbow and loads it with a bolt. He points it directly at the wisp.

"I don't know what you are, but I do know that if I shoot that thing behind you, it's going to hurt."

Youmu's expression immediately darkens.

"So, are we going to have a civilized conversation?"

Youmu looks angry enough to bite his fingers off, but she nods slowly.

"I'll start. So we were talking during breakfast, and suddenly you take a sword and try to stab me in the head. May I ask why?" Vincent asks as he loosens the gag.

"I was trying to help," Youmu whispers through her teeth.

Vincent nods thoughtfully.

"I'm sure that a blade between my eyes would surely end my troubles, but doesn't that seem a little bit overboard?"

"It would clear your confusion."

"Yes, I'm sure that it would. And you're going to say that the sword is some sort of magic blade?" Vincent asks mockingly.

"Yes, it is. I used that technique a few times before. I didn't expect a human to be able to dodge it."

"Hmph," Vincent says, frowning. "Stop with the bullshit - why are you trying to kill me?"

"..."

"Sticking to your story? Fine then, if you like stories so much, then why don't you ask me a question. Maybe I'll give you a story of my own."

Youmu looks furious, but she bites her tongue.

"How did you hurt me? Who are you, really?" she mutters.

"Didn't I tell you earlier - I hunt undead. That gun can send back zombies, ghosts, and any other unholy scum back to the void. My other toys here can do something similar," Vincent says. "So what does that make you? I'm surprised you recovered so quickly from that shot."

"..."

Suddenly, they hear something from the main building. Sounds like someone is calling out for Youmu. Vincent quickly turns to face Youmu. She stares back defiantly, but she doesn't scream.

[ ] Replace the gag and head to the shrine alone.
[ ] Replace the gag and carry her with you somewhere else.
[ ] Ask her to cooperate with you, holding your crossbow subtlely towards her wisp at all times.
[ ] Ask her to cooperate with you, keep her swords with you at all times.
[ ] Custom
>> No. 12148
[x] Bring your voice down to a whisper and continue your interrogation.
[x] If her story is true, then ask if she would mind you clearing her confusion with the "magic sword".

This way the main character can be dumbfounded, apologize, and make an agreement with Youmu to pretend this never happened.
>> No. 12149
[x] Bring your voice down to a whisper and continue your interrogation.
[x] If her story is true, then ask if she would mind you clearing her confusion with the "magic sword".


Okay.
>> No. 12150
[x] Bring your voice down to a whisper and continue your interrogation.
[x] If her story is true, then ask if she would mind you clearing her confusion with the "magic sword".

Changing vote.
>> No. 12151
[†] Bring your voice down to a whisper and continue your interrogation.
[†] If her story is true, then ask if she would mind you clearing her confusion with the "magic sword".
>> No. 12152
[x] Equip all of your weapons ready for combat.
[x] Replace the gag and head to the shrine alone.
[x] Either take Youmu's swords with you or toss them in a tree/pond/piles of leaves/etc. Something to cover them up.
>> No. 12153
[o] Bring your voice down to a whisper and continue your interrogation.
[o] If her story is true, then ask if she would mind you clearing her confusion with the "magic sword".
>> No. 12156
[x] Bring your voice down to a whisper and continue your interrogation.
[x] If her story is true, then ask if she would mind you clearing her confusion with the "magic sword".
>> No. 12157
>"That gun can send back zombies, ghosts, and any other unholy scum"

Oh man. Yuyuko's going to make this guy her bitch.
>> No. 12158
>"That gun can send back zombies, ghosts, and any other unholy scum"

I just had a funny thought: Where would we send them back to? We're already in Hakugyokurou.
>> No. 12159
>>12158

I'm thinking when it kills them, it works similar to the MEoDP in that it "deletes" the properties of the stuff it hits, so they don't really go anywhere. They just stop existing, period.
>> No. 12167
File 122514465144.jpg - (386.35KB , 648x906 , youmu_myon.jpg ) [iqdb]
12167
Loading User Commands:
[X] Bring your voice down to a whisper and continue your interrogation.
[X] If her story is true, then ask if she would mind you clearing her confusion with the "magic sword".

---

Youmu doesn't look like she is going to scream or call out for help. Perhaps she still thinks she can get out of this on her own?

Vincent smirks at this thought. He lowers his voice slightly as he continues his questioning.

"If your story is true, would you mind if I clear your confusion with the 'magic sword', then?" he asks.

"You can't," she says, lowering her voice in turn. Does she not want to be heard?

"Why not? I'm sure I can manage shoving this knife into your head," he says mockingly.

"Hakurouken has been passed down for generations, and it can only be used of those of the Konpaku family."

"Well, isn't that just perfect," he says as he sneers.

Youmu looks back at him, frowning.

"It's the truth."

"Yes, yes, I'm sure it is," he says. "The question now, is what do we do next? You have to admit that my skepticism isn't unwarranted."

"..."

"I can't just trust you after what you did. I just can't risk it. Humans die when they are killed, you know?"

Youmu opens her mouth to speak, but closes it after she realizes she has no argument. Vincent places his hands in his jacket as he leans back to think. He can't leave her in the shed like this - someone is going to look for her eventually. He jumps as he finds something in his pocket. He pulls it out, revealing a small, black book. He opens the book, then smiles.

"There may be a way after all," he mutters.

He just needs a container.

[ ] Jar
[ ] Box
[ ] Custom
>> No. 12168
[x] Custom

[x] A really well-made container with a padlock and bolts. One made of metal, that does well under tremendous amounts of pressure.

We make sure not a single thing can foil our attempts.
>> No. 12170
[X] Custom

[X] The Skull

We still have that thing, right?
>> No. 12171
>>12169

Had I said safe, would you have gone with it? A box or a jar is just generalizing, but there is no detail as to how large either is. Obviously we're not going to push around some huge object, much less carry it or hide it from sight. One would automatically presume, then, that it is a smaller object, whereas "safe" sounds too heavy/large for the job. If it is big, either way, we have a very strong container. I'd have gone with "a trunk" but that would be too weak, most likely depending on the material.

It would also be a good idea to slap some holy seals on our "container", for good measure.

>>12170

We don't even know if it's a whole skull. What damages it might have, such as cracks, and obviously has holes in it for the eyes and nose.
>> No. 12172
To be honest, I don't even know what Vincent's doing. When did he get that book? It certainly wasn't listed in his inventory at the start of the story and I can't see the scene where finds such a thing. Is he putting the book somewhere, or is he sealing something? If so, what's he sealing? Is he in control of himself right now?
>> No. 12173
[x] Jar

>>12172
I have a guess see Strange and Bright Nature Deity ch02. The book popped outta nowhere though, I agree.
>> No. 12176
>I am currently holding in my hands a book that the Church was supposed to burn. I don't know what I was thinking then, but something told me to keep it.

Probably happened during a timeskip.

Also, bricks.
>> No. 12184
>>12172

I believe he's trying to seal her Myon. If not, then he has some sort of religious incantation to make himself able to use her sword. Either way, a strong form of containment seems best.
>> No. 12187
[x] Skull

A jar might hold jelly. A box could hold dry goods. A safe is a secure place to leave your money. Yet among these "containers" only a skull has ever held a mind before.

If you're going to seal a spirit into something, doesn't it make more sense to use something that had already contained a spirit at one point?
>> No. 12188
[x] Skull

I have a baaaaaad feeling about what's going to happen next.
>> No. 12192
Skulls have holes.

[ ] Jar
>> No. 12198
>>12171>>12192
Everything has holes when you're a ghost and can pass through solid matter. That's not how this works. You think a skull can't be haunted?
>> No. 12199
[x] Skull
>> No. 12200
File 122521015438.jpg - (92.47KB , 807x735 , youmu_armed.jpg ) [iqdb]
12200
Loading User Commands:
[X] Skull

---

Vincent wipes the sweat of his forehead and surveys his work. The ritual took longer than he thought, but he managed to finish it without any problems. Besides the tiny floating wisp that occasionally peeks through the eyes and mouth, it still looks like an ordinary skull. He had to use all of the sealing amulets in his pack, but the result is more than satisfactory. He smiles as he turns back to Youmu. She frowns at him in disgust.

"What did you do?" she asks.

"Didn't you watch me? I sealed the core of your ghost friend within this thing," he says calmly.

"W-w-what?" she says. Her voice is shaking.

"Don't worry, as long as he doesn't stay too far from this skull, he can move around as much as he likes. But don't even think of attacking me again if you care at all for your friend."

"..."

"All I have to do is utter the command word, then this skull and the soul in it will be destroyed. And just so you know, if someone tries to unseal the core forcefully, the soul will be destroyed as part of the secondary binding seal. As an extra precaution, I set the seal such that every two days, I need to utter a command word to maintain it. If you kill me, then in two days the soul inside will be destroyed as well," Vincent explains.

"..."

"Lost for words? I don't pity those who associate with evil undead."

"You..."

"Hmm?"

"You are horrible man!" she says finally.

Vincent shrugs. He puts down the skull and begins untying Youmu. She remains seated on the ground, her head hanging down as he replaces his things back into his pack. He takes the two swords in the corner and hands them to Youmu. She takes them slowly, and gives him a puzzled expression.

"I am not a thief, nor am I a murderer, despite what this looks like. I just do what I can to survive."

"Hmmph," Youmu says as she resheathes her swords and stands up. "I need to make lunch for Lady Yuyuko."

She walks out of the workshed with the wisp behind her. She heads toward the shrine, but she suddenly stops as if she hit a wall. She turns back to Vincent with a frustrated expression on her face.

"Aren't you coming? Seems I can't go any further than this."

"Huh? You can leave your friend behind if you want."

"You didn't seal my ghost friend, you sealed my half-soul. I thought making me your hostage was part of your plan?"

Vincent pauses. The wisp is part of Youmu?

"Hurry it up, I hate it when Lady Yuyuko makes tantrums."

Vincent hurries after Youmu towards the kitchen. At least now, he has some guarantee of survival. But it seems he may have made a small misunderstanding somewhere.

[ ] Custom
>> No. 12201
[ ] Elect to stay in the shed. Give Youmu the skull.
[ ] Ask very nicely that Youmu not reveal to anyone--including this Lady Yuyuko--his hiding in the shed.
[ ] Ask, also very nicely, if Youmu might drop off some food every now and then. After all, it's in her best interests that you stay healthy.
>> No. 12202
>>12201

Extortion? Oh, anon~
>> No. 12203
[ ] Elect to stay in the shed. Give Youmu the skull.
[ ] Ask very nicely that Youmu not reveal to anyone--including this Lady Yuyuko--his hiding in the shed.
[ ] Ask, also very nicely, if Youmu might drop off some food every now and then. After all, it's in her best interests that you stay healthy.

I want to remain Youmu's little secret
>> No. 12206
>>12205
Even if some plot twist is going to doom it to failure, you might at the very least make an effort. Seriously, you'll go nowhere with that pessimistic outlook.

Instead, let's think two steps ahead. Let's say Youmu DOES tell Yuyuko once we're out of sight. What can we do to balance this out? Find a new hiding space, perhaps, so that Youmu is knocked fairly off-kilter once she dramatically flings open the shed door and finds no one there?

Hmmm, but wandering about might find us found by some other denizen. Let's come up with something else.
>> No. 12208
>>12206

Or we wait for Youmu to do just that. We could hold her hostage. We do have the 'magic word' after all.
>> No. 12209
>>12208

And then when we say the Magic Word, it'll do nothing, because somewhere down the line, Yuyuko talked Yukari into altering the Boundary between the Position of Youmu's Ghost Half and the Position of This Rock That Yukari Just Found. Giving Youmu even a little bit of leeway to do stuff behind our back seems like a really bad idea.
>> No. 12211
[x] Help Youmu prepare lunch.
[x] Go ahead and have yourself introduced to Yuyuko. You're a guest now.
[x] Ask if you can stay the night.
>> No. 12212
[x] Help Youmu prepare lunch.
[x] Go ahead and have yourself introduced to Yuyuko. You're a guest now.
[x] Ask if you can stay the night.

Changing vote a little.
>> No. 12213
[x] Help Youmu prepare lunch.
[x] Go ahead and have yourself introduced to Yuyuko. You're a guest now.
[x] Ask if you can stay the night.
>> No. 12216
[ ] Elect to stay in the shed. Give Youmu the skull.
[ ] Ask very nicely that Youmu not reveal to anyone--including this Lady Yuyuko--his hiding in the shed.
[ ] Ask, also very nicely, if Youmu might drop off some food every now and then. After all, it's in her best interests that you stay healthy.

Man, look, I at least want to play at trying to do this intelligently.
>> No. 12217
>Man, look, I at least want to play at trying to do this intelligently.

We have taken Youmu hostage, so we give her all the cards that allows her to be a hostage and let her go far away from us to do god knows what while we sit in a shed?

You call that playing intelligently?
>> No. 12218
[x] Help Youmu prepare lunch.
[x] Go ahead and have yourself introduced to Yuyuko. You're a guest now.
[x] Ask if you can stay the night.

That shed-hiding shit is just plain crazy.
>> No. 12219
[x] Help Youmu prepare lunch.
[x] Go ahead and have yourself introduced to Yuyuko. You're a guest now.

Leaving off the "ask" part, because first I want to see what happens when we meet Yuyuko.

>>12201>>12203>>12216
what the fuck why
>> No. 12229
[x] Help Youmu prepare lunch.
[x] Go ahead and have yourself introduced to Yuyuko, as Youmu's new boyfriend.
>> No. 12231
[x] Help Youmu prepare lunch.
[x] Go ahead and have yourself introduced to Yuyuko. You're a guest now.
[x] Ask if you can stay the night.
>> No. 12234
File 122527905486.jpg - (6.69KB , 148x177 , yuyuko.jpg ) [iqdb]
12234
Loading User Commands:
[X] Help Youmu prepare lunch.
[X] Go ahead and have yourself introduced to Yuyuko. You're a guest now.

---

Vincent follows Youmu into the kitchen. She is silent as she begins preparing the ingredients. He sighs audibly.

"Hey, can I help you with something?"

"..."

"I mean, I'm no chef but I know my way around the -"

"There," she says without looking back. She points to some potatoes and a knife.

Vincent puts down his pack and begins peeling the potatoes. He continue helping her with the cooking, but neither of them manage to start a proper conversation. "Pass me the cooking oil," doesn't really count, he thinks. He can't blame her attitude, but he needs some assurance that he won't be knifed in the back. Sealing her ghost is the bare minimum he can come up with, considering the circumstances.

"I'll take the food to the dining room after I finish this last dish," Youmu says. "Wait in the dining room. It's just next door."

Vincent nods and takes his things into the dining room. He takes a seat and idly stares at the ceiling for a few minutes.

"I know you're there. Show yourself," he says without turning his head.

"Awww..."

The newcomer floats into the room through a wall. The woman has pink hair and she is wearing a blue and white kimono with frills at the edges. She smiles brightly as she puts a blue cloth hat with a strange spiral insignia on it. She seems to be levitating a few inches off the ground, and there are a few small wisps hovering around her.

"So, have you come to take my soul?" Vincent asks calmly. Despite her appearance, he senses an incredible amount of supernatural energy from her.

"Hmm," she mutters, cocking her head. "Would yours be tastier than sweet dumplings?"

"Nah. I expect mine to be quite bitter."

"Ara?" she says. Before he can react, she speeds beside him and takes a deep sniff.

"W-what the -"

"You have a refreshing scent. Maybe I'll have a taste before I say no."

Vincent stumbles backward in surprise. The woman leans forward and lowers herself dangerously close to his chest. He feels himself blushing furiously. The woman has a strange floral scent around her, and from this close, she looks captivating.

"It's been a while since we've had such a handsome visitor. Maybe I can show some of my hospitality..."

Someone loudly clears her throat.

Vincent turns his head to see that Youmu has entered with the food.
>> No. 12235
File 122528081659.gif - (307.77KB , 300x300 , yuyuko_eating.gif ) [iqdb]
12235
"Sorry about earlier. I just got carried away," the woman says.

Her name is Yuyuko Saigyouji, the ghost-princess of Hakugyokurou. Apparently this place is part of the netherwold of Gensokyo. Normally, living humans can't enter this place, but due to some recent events, the barrier has been weakened enough for humans to pass through. Ghosts sometimes leave the barrier into the realm of the living, but the humans living nearby don't seem to mind it. Youmu helps take care of the shrine and assist with various tasks as her retainer.

"You should take things seriously, Lady Yuyuko! What if he got scared and attacked you?" says Youmu.

"Oh c'mon, I wasn't planning on shocking him to death. Just maybe going invisible and make a few things float around, or make scary sounds. That sort of thing."

Youmu sighs.

"Besides, why did you only arrive now? It's not like you to be late for a meal."

"Oh, I just helped someone out on the way back from the shrine," Yuyuko says. "It was some strangely dressed guy carrying a staff and a book. I think he drove off some wild fairies with some sort of explosion spell, but ended up unconscious in the middle of the road. I left him with Keine before heading home."

"I see. That explains why you seem famished," Youmu says.

Yuyuko is already on her third bowl of rice. How can a ghost eat so much? She turns her head toward Vincent.

"More importantly, I'd like to hear more about our guest here. Ghost hunters are quite rare in Gensokyo."

"Might as well tell the whole story," he mutters. If she knows that much just by looking at him, lying won't be helpful. He tells her everything he told Youmu, minus the part where she tries to stab his head.

"I see. Then you should stay here for the night. It's dangerous to travel alone at night these days, even for youkai. And I insist that you stay as our guest until you get your bearings in this world," Yuyuko says.

"T-thank you very much!" he says. Whatever he expected from a ghost princess, it wasn't this.

"Well then, would you like to talk about something else?" she asks.

Youmu is silently finishing her meal, avoiding your eyes. She seems as confused by the situation as you are.

[ ] Custom
>> No. 12236
[x] "You said it was dangerous to travel... what are the chances those children could have survived on their own in this Netherworld for a few days?"
>> No. 12238
[~] "Have you met other hunters before?"
[~] "What places are near here?"
[~] "Has anything unusual been happening lately?"
>> No. 12240
[x] "You said it was dangerous to travel... what are the chances those children could have survived on their own in this Netherworld for a few days?"
>> No. 12243
[x] "Have you met other hunters before?"
[x] "What places are near here?"
[x] "Has anything unusual been happening lately?"
[x] "You said it was dangerous to travel... what are the chances those children could have survived on their own in this Netherworld for a few days?"

GATTAI DA
>> No. 12262
[!] "Have you met other hunters before?"
[!] "What places are near here?"
[!] "Has anything unusual been happening lately?"
[!] "You said it was dangerous to travel... what are the chances those children could have survived on their own in this Netherworld for a few days?"
>> No. 12270
[x] "Have you met other hunters before?"
[x] "What places are near here?"
[x] "Has anything unusual been happening lately?"
[x] "You said it was dangerous to travel... what are the chances those children could have survived on their own in this Netherworld for a few days?"

in whatever order I guess
>> No. 12281
File 122536779922.jpg - (85.52KB , 463x591 , yuyuko_thinking.jpg ) [iqdb]
12281
Loading User Commands:
[X] "Have you met other hunters before?"
[X] "What places are near here?"
[X] "Has anything unusual been happening lately?"
[X] "You said it was dangerous to travel... what are the chances those children could have survived on their own in this Netherworld for a few days?"

---

"Have you met other hunters before?" Vincent asks.

Yuyuko takes a sip from her tea before speaking.

"A few. Unfortunately, those meetings ended pretty quickly."

Vincent clears his throat. Might be better not to push that subject any further.

"What other places are near here? Any place you recommend visiting?"

"Interesting places? Hmmm," she says as she pauses to think. "Hakugyokurou is in the Netherworld, so there aren't any places that are very close. However, there are several points where the border has been weakened."

She takes a bite of meat before she continues. "You can head to the Sanzu River, where souls cross over to be judged. There is a lazy shinigami there that is usually slacking off, so you can probably talk to her." Youmu almost chokes on her tea as she hears the word "lazy", but she stays silent.

"You can also visit the Poltergeist mansion. The Prismriver sisters live there; I sometimes have them play concerts here when I have parties." Youmu mutters something to herself, but Vincent only catches the word "cleanup".

She hands her empty bowl to Youmu for a refill. "You can also head down to Gensokyo, where a whole bunch of interesting humans and youkai live. If you do decide to go there, I recommend heading to the Human Village first, since it is the safest place for humans."

"I see," Vincent says. The nearest places seem to have inhabitants that are involved with the world of the dead. At least, they don't sound hostile to the living. But it might be wiser to head to someplace with regular humans instead. He can think about that later, though.

"Has anything unusual been happening lately?" he asks.

"Interesting you should ask. I met with Reimu and the others this morning. Apparently human disappearances, youkai attacks, and some other minor incidents have been increasing lately. Of course, everyone claimed that they weren't involved, but Reimu insisted that something is going on."

"She is probably just getting cranky because her shrine never gets donations," Youmu says succinctly.

"Ara? Are you still mad because she borrowed a couple of ghosts last summer?" she asks. Youmu stays silent and focuses on her meal. "In any case, I think that the miko might be right this time. Especially suspicious was when she asked everyone about any new Outsiders arriving in a strange manner. A few of the others seemed to be uneasy when they said that they didn't meet any. Can't blame them though, Reimu would probably beat the living daylights out of anyone she suspects."

Yuyuko puts down her cup and looks straight at Vincent.

"And with our new guest here, I am quite positive that something very interesting is about to happen."

Yuyuko gives him a strange smile. Youmu glances at Vincent darkly before returning to her meal.

"I-In any case, you mentioned that it was dangerous to travel. What are the chances that the children I mentioned could have survived on their own in this Netherworld for a few days?" Vincent asks.

Yuyuko hands her empty bowl to Youmu for another refill.

"Chances are dim for them, especially if they didn't arrive near this place. Evil spirits still wander the Netherworld, and they may have been possessed or devoured. However, I don't think that this is the main problem with your search." Yuyuko thanks Youmu for the bowl of rice. "From what I gathered, the children you mentioned have entered this world years ago. Even if they did survive, I most certainly doubt that they would still be children."

Vincent takes this in thoughtfully. She has a good point. But still...

"In any case, would you like to accompany me this afternoon? I'd like to take a walk around the grounds, and it's been a while since we've had a guest," Yuyuko asks. "Or perhaps, you would rather spend your time with Youmu here?" she says with a sly smile. Youmu blushes slightly, but says nothing.

Vincent thinks about what to do next.
[ ] Accompany Yuyuko.
[ ] Accompany Youmu.

Vincent thinks about what to do with the skull.
[ ] Bring it with you.
[ ] Leave it with Youmu.
>> No. 12284
[ ] Accompany Youmu.
_[ ] Apologize to Youmu.
_[ ] Give the skull to Youmu, as a sign of your good faith.
>> No. 12285
[£] Accompany Yuyuko.
[£] Bring it with you.

This = profit
>> No. 12286
[x] Accompany Youmu.
[x] Bring it with you.
>> No. 12287
>"You can also visit the Poltergeist mansion. The Prismriver sisters live there; I sometimes have them play concerts here when I have parties." Youmu mutters something to herself, but Vincent only catches the word "cleanup".

ξ・∀・)

[x] Accompany Youmu.
[x] Bring it with you.
>> No. 12293
[x] Accompany Yuyuko.
[x] Bring it with you.

Would be rude to Yuyuko if we didn't go with her. We can always get on Youmu's nerves later.
>> No. 12294
>>12293
If we bring the skull, wouldn't Youmu be forced to follow us during the walk?
>> No. 12295
>>12293

Not rude, because she gave us an alternative.

>Yuyuko asks. "Or perhaps, you would rather spend your time with Youmu here?" she says with a sly smile.

Moreover, the implicit meaning of the alternative indicates the real question is, "Which of us interests you more?" If we're going for Youmu route, then it would not be a bad idea to lead Yuyu on.
>> No. 12296
[ ] Accompany Yuyuko.
[ ] Bring it with you.
>> No. 12298
>>12294
That is the point. Youmu comes with us, whether she wants to or not.

[x] Accompany Yuyuko.
[x] Bring it with you.
>> No. 12299
[x] Accompany Yuyuko.
[x] Bring it with you.

I don't much care for the half-ghost, but we've got Yuyuko route in HLA, so I suppose it's time to cut the Youmufags some slack.

Youmu route go.
>> No. 12303
[!/] Accompany Yuyuko.
[!/] Bring it with you.

I like both. But Youmu route should be GO!
>> No. 12304
[x] Accompany Youmu.
[x] Bring it with you.
>> No. 12313
Server reconnected at: >>12312